PDA

View Full Version : Eddie!

MonteGss
08-23-2007, 12:29 PM
I see no thread dedicated to Mr. Dean.
He is my second favorite character of the series. I loved his jokes, his attitude and how his relationship with Roland grew throughout the series. Out of the three New Yorkers drawn, I think he grew the most.
What do you all think? Why do you like/dislike him? Why is he an interesting character to you?

Letti
08-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Oh.. I can't choose. I would like to pick them all. *gets confused and worried*
Great topic. We needed it.

MonteGss
08-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Please feel free to edit the poll so you CAN pick more than one option. I debated on that when I created it...:)

Letti
08-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Sometimes it's good to be able to pick only one. I love polls where you must choose one but it's not easy.
But it's up to you, Monte. Shall I edit it?

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I chose his flaws.

Darkthoughts
08-23-2007, 12:48 PM
I chose his sense of humour...its quite similar to mine. I'm sure I'd have bugged Roland as much as Eddie did :P

MonteGss
08-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Sometimes it's good to be able to pick only one. I love polls where you must choose one but it's not easy.

Sure. :) If you want to add more choices too, feel free my dear! :) Those were only just off the top of my head, quickly.

Letti
I chose his sense of humour...its quite similar to mine. I'm sure I'd have bugged Roland as much as Eddie did :P

That's one we adore you. :wub: (it's one of the tons of reasons)

MonteGss
I chose his flaws.

Which? Any one in particular that you liked?

Letti
08-23-2007, 12:50 PM

Sure. :) If you want to add more choices too, feel free my dear! :) Those were only just off the top of my head, quickly.

For my part I am between the first two.. at this moment I feel I wanna pick the first and after some moments I wanna pick the second choice.
*keeps thinking*
Damn good question, man! :D

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Its not that I liked his flaws particularly but he was someone that had so many flaws at the beginning and grew throughout the series into a better, and better person. Thats what drew me so strongly to his character.

tamez
08-23-2007, 12:53 PM
i voted for flaws because
the whole saga of his brother
and his addiction, and his growth
was an extremely interesting part of the series.

Daghain
08-23-2007, 12:54 PM
I voted for sense of humor. I like a smartass. :lol:

MonteGss
08-23-2007, 12:55 PM
I voted for his relationship with Roland. I love how they grew to appreciate and respect one another and how they depended on each other so much. Roland truly respected Eddie's thoughts and opinions toward the end of the series. :)

Jean
08-23-2007, 10:58 PM
I voted for his relationship with Roland. I love how they grew to appreciate and respect one another and how they depended on each other so much. Roland truly respected Eddie's thoughts and opinions toward the end of the series. :)
I voted the same. By the way, it includes most other reasons listed. Relationship with Roland highlighted everything Eddie had or was.

funky dredd
08-24-2007, 06:45 AM
I liked his sense of humor.

_Sphynx_
11-24-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm sad that I can't pick more than one option. I'm drawn to the bugger both because he's witty and intelligent, and because of the way he loves both the good (Susannah, Jake and Oy), and the 'bad' (I'll never consider Roland a purely good guy). I dunno, I guess I just like the way his different sides mesh well and compliment one another.

Storyslinger
11-27-2007, 07:51 AM
I was always drawn to him by the relationship that he had with Roland. In many ways, he was the closest thing Roland ever had to a true friend

Hannah
11-27-2007, 08:32 AM
i always loved a man that could make me laugh.

LadyHitchhiker
12-03-2007, 01:33 PM
I like Eddie so much because he reminds me of me. When I hurt, I make jokes...

LadyHitchhiker
12-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Actually I just make jokes for fun too!

MonteGss
12-09-2007, 09:03 AM
In many ways, he was the closest thing Roland ever had to a true friend

Wow, I feel the same way. I believe he was much closer to Eddie than he ever was to Cuthbert.

Jean
12-09-2007, 10:11 AM
agree

jayson
12-09-2007, 12:18 PM
What I have always loved about Eddie is that he is the epitome of the cynical New Yorker. My family is from Brooklyn, and I lived in or around NYC until I was 22, and Eddie always rings true for me as a "real" New Yorker. I compliment a New Englander like King for getting the character right even if he got some of the geography wrong. :clap:

What I love about the Tower stories is that they back up what I have said my whole life, New York City is the center of the universe.:clap:

alinda
12-09-2007, 03:28 PM
As some of you know I spent alot of my misspent youth in NYC.
I met a few guys like Eddie ( even some herion addicts) and thru
all of the wise cracking tough guy behaviour, I fell in love with this
man too. I choose the option "relationship w/ Roland, I imagine if
I met Roland our relationship could be like that. I also think SK did
an excellent job of catching some truely NY attitude in him. Then
again , this is one of the reason's I like his writting so much, and
this story in particular .The development of charactors, and their
relationships was "familure" to me. And like you I came to feel like
they were my friends, and my kamates. Eddie yeah........:thumbsup:

MonteGss
12-09-2007, 03:58 PM

Beautifully said Linda. :)

Letti
12-12-2007, 02:01 PM

Beautifully said Linda. :)

Thank you, Linda. :rose: You are gifted with words.

JasKo
12-13-2007, 03:49 AM
For me it's all the reasons actually. But if I had to choose one, which I did, I'd choose "His Flaws". Due to us all being human beings. We all do mistakes and no-one is perfect. Judging some-one for a mistake they did once or twice is not good ;)

MonteGss
12-13-2007, 04:37 AM
I see we have not met before, sai. I am Monte and now you know that I am indeed perfect and mistake-less. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

Darkthoughts
12-13-2007, 04:49 AM
:rofl: You have got to stop hanging round with CK so much!!

MonteGss
01-28-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm nearing the end of my second listen of DT7. I listen on my commutes to and from work. I reached Eddie's murder at the hands of Pimli just as I was pulling into the parking lot in the morning. I sat out in the parking lot because I had to finish it even though it was such an emotional way to start my workday. Eddie is the type of guy I would have wanted for an older brother. :)

(Gunslinger Eddie, not herion Eddie)

sarah
01-29-2008, 07:51 AM
I voted other because it is all of the above. I really like all the aspects of Eddie and I think he is well blended.

Also, I love that Eddie has evolved. He is a true gunslinger.

jayson
01-29-2008, 07:56 AM
i find little to not like about eddie. i thoroughly enjoyed watching him become his own man with roland's help and the love of suze & jake.

Woofer
01-30-2008, 06:01 PM
I voted other because it is all of the above. I really like all the aspects of Eddie and I think he is well blended.

Also, I love that Eddie has evolved. He is a true gunslinger.

Put those words back in my mouth right now!

Malficeus
01-30-2008, 07:37 PM
hes what i fell makes it all worth while everything its like when everything is all quiet and you hear a fart with him

Woofer
01-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Forgot to mention, nice nod to Rocky Horror with the title. Every time I read the title I hear Little Nell screaming it in my mind.

<---doesn't have any baby pink lipstick

ATG
01-30-2008, 10:14 PM
The loved the Cock Fights before those movies.

Darkthoughts
01-31-2008, 04:27 AM
Forgot to mention, nice nod to Rocky Horror with the title. Every time I read the title I hear Little Nell screaming it in my mind.

FREAKY!!!! I was coming in here to post the same thing! :panic:

MonteGss
02-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Hmmm, too bad I've never seen that before and it is purely coincidental. *shrugs* :)

Darkthoughts
02-04-2008, 06:22 AM
Wha.....*jaw drop*...you've never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show?!!!

LadyHitchhiker
02-04-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm drawn to Eddie because he reminds me of me.

MonteGss
02-04-2008, 03:31 PM
So...you're a heroin addict, Liz? :unsure: :lol:

obscurejude
02-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Monte, Eddie's cool and all, but he is no Ralph Roberts. *beats a dead horse*

MonteGss
02-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Yes, thank god for that too. There's no way Ralph could sling a gun as fast as Eddie. ;)

LadyHitchhiker
02-04-2008, 03:39 PM

:panic: :excited: :onfire:
I LOVE ROCKY HORROR PICTURES SHOW!

HanzouNorak
02-04-2008, 07:34 PM
reminds me alittle of myself, in many ways.

Woofer
02-04-2008, 08:57 PM

FREAKY!!!! I was coming in here to post the same thing! :panic:

:panic: :excited: :onfire:
I LOVE ROCKY HORROR PICTURES SHOW!

{passes out noisemakers and cues up the DVD} Time for an RHPS party! I'm afraid you'll have to bring other props, but I think I can swing for popcorn.

Monte, join us and lose your virginity*.

"There's no crime in giving yourself over to pleasure."

*No, your other virginity.

Woofer
02-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Wha.....*jaw drop*...you've never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show?!!!

Forgot to say... I <3 your avatar.

<---Snoopy freak.

I reprinted, in its entirity and with illustrations, Snoopy's novel for Halloween. I hung it from a noose attached to the top of my office door.

"Suddenly a shot rang out, a door slammed, the maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon."

Darkthoughts
02-05-2008, 06:03 AM
:lol: My parents wouldn't let me have a dog, so we had a cat named Snoopy instead.

It'll soon be time for the Easter Beagle too ;)

MonteGss
02-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Maybe you guys should start a new thread so you all can stay on topic in this one. This is a thread about Eddie, not some movie or comic. Thanks.

obscurejude
02-05-2008, 09:50 AM
I must confess that I didn't care for Eddie at first but he definitely grew on me. I was only 13 the first time I read DT 2 and I couldn't grasp the psychology of addiction or Eddie's dependence on Henry. He has come to be one of my favorite characters of any series and I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing his growth as a human being generally and a gunslinger particularly.

Woofer
02-06-2008, 04:50 AM
Maybe you guys should start a new thread so you all can stay on topic in this one. This is a thread about Eddie, not some movie or comic. Thanks.

Cry your pardon, sai. But you must admit that was a very Eddie-esque thread "interruption" (although I'm pretty sure his tangent wouldn't have been about RHPS or Snoopy :D but about how the name reminded him of some guy Henry used to get stoned with or something like that).

And to tie that into the thread topic: I think that's part of what draws so many to him. He reflects the jokester/prankish side of us, yet he can be serious when the situation requires. Moreover, it precisely this ability - to find the (usually black) humor in grave or dire situations - that enables him to cope with events that would freeze a lesser man in horror.

I :wub: Eddie.

Wuducynn
02-06-2008, 08:48 AM
I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing his growth as a human being generally and a gunslinger particularly.

Same here, he's the character that grows the most throughout the series, even more than Roland and Susannah.

Darkthoughts
02-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Oooh, I love it when you're all masterful. I'm surprised Jean didn't reprimand us first actually ;)
:grouphug:

/off topicness

MonteGss
02-06-2008, 01:29 PM
:D

Letti
02-18-2008, 12:41 AM
I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing his growth as a human being generally and a gunslinger particularly.

Same here, he's the character that grows the most throughout the series, even more than Roland and Susannah.
We had a thread at DT.net about who changed or grew the most in the series.
It was a hard choice for me (because of Eddie) but still I vote for Roland. I don't doubt that Eddie grows so much but still I feel Roland does more. (And now that I finished the series this feeling is even stronger.)

mia/susannah
02-24-2008, 05:11 PM
I love Eddie. I wanted to vote for his relationship with Susannah and Roland. But I voted for his jokes and his attitude. I cannot say he is my favorite because I like Roland, Susannah, Jake, Eddie and Oy all the same. I was very sad when Eddie and Jake went to the clearing.:cry:

Unfound One
03-16-2008, 03:55 AM
i say other reasons because i really feel that as readers we get the most background on eddie. because of this i feel like he's the most "real" character.
out of the ka-tet, he's also the most believable.
i can imagine meeting a guy just like him, and i'd probably have the same reaction i did as i read - annoyance at first, but after getting to know him, a sense of loyalty and honesty.
plus, my favorite attribut of eddie is his masking of fear with humor - who doesn't do that from time to time? it's endearing, imo.
i also have to admit,
his death was definitely the most difficult for me to handle:(

MonteGss
03-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Great points Unfound One. Besides Roland himself, Eddie was my absolute favorite for all of the reasons you said.

Also, I took his death the hardest but only because it came first.

Wuducynn
03-16-2008, 07:02 PM
It was a hard choice for me (because of Eddie) but still I vote for Roland. I don't doubt that Eddie grows so much but still I feel Roland does more. (And now that I finished the series this feeling is even stronger.)

I understand that you're wrong Letti...but I still love you. :huglove:

Girlystevedave
03-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I voted his sense of humor, although I do love the character for more reasons. But, I think I officially fell in love with Eddie in W&G. It was the part with Blaine. After Eddie sat silently for a long time, his mind running. It was the moment when the grin spread across his face and he said: "I have a riddle for you Blaine."
For some reason, at that moment, I silently screamed: "Yes! Oh, Eddie, I love you."

Unfound One
03-16-2008, 08:55 PM
girly - at that moment i could just SEE him grinning maniacally :D
it was great. and so EDDIE!

Letti
03-16-2008, 10:08 PM

I understand that you're wrong Letti...but I still love you. :huglove:

That's one of the nicest things man has ever told me. *smiles widely* :rose:

Wuducynn
03-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Well thats what I'm here for dear heart! :huglove:

MonteGss
03-19-2008, 09:29 AM
I actually think Eddie grew more than Roland. Roland had just forgotten how to love in his long wanderings so in essence, he didn't "grow" that much...he just, um, remembered. :)
Eddie I think did a complete 180 and became a better person. Just my six cents. :cool:

Ves'Ka Gan
06-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I said his flaws--it was seeing him grow and fight himself that really made me love Eddie.

theBeamisHome
06-19-2008, 11:01 AM
It actually is a hard choice. Eddie was already a good person and clever and everything he just had to get rid of that monkey on his back (and I mean Henry not the drugs, Henry was the reason for practically everything wrong in Eddie's life)... so while he made the biggest change I'm not sure he grew the most.. he was just finally not afraid to bring out what was always there. He didn't have to worry about being better than Henry anymore. But Roland always lacked imagination and the such and he learned those things I think.. So really I think they're about to the same.. they both just remembered things that they'd pushed to the back burner.

Tiffany
06-19-2008, 11:31 AM
His wise-assery and sense of humor. It's similar to my husband's when he's being silly and ridiculous.

LadyHitchhiker
06-29-2008, 05:02 AM
I should have voted other because I loved Eddie because he reminded me of me and I could relate to him...

candy
06-13-2009, 03:49 AM
i love eddie and voted other, as it was the whole package as opposed to one thing. but if i have to narrow it down, it would be his adaptablity. the fact that he went from addict to gunslinger in a short space of time was excellent (talking not of his training in the woods with roland but the butt naked gun fight)

The fact that he loves them all not just susannah and would take a bullet for them all - even Oy

he is cool and witty and everything else that has been mentioned, but his times with roland where to me more special than his moments with susannah, but that was just my personal opinion

Myste
10-06-2009, 09:02 AM
I voted for his sense of humor, but Eddie as a charachter is a complete package of all that are mentioned.