PDA

View Full Version : Summer Movies 2009

Ka-mai
04-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I saw this list and thought it would start a good discussion.

Summer Movies Preview (http://www.moviefone.com/summer-movies/summer-movies-preview)

My first thoughts upon seeing this...

The Star Trek movie looks awesome, although I'm a little nervous about the casting (the guy from Harold and Kumar? Seriously?). Public Enemies looks great as well.

Bruno and the new Transformers look ridiculous. I know a lot of people will disagree with me though. I also think redoing Land of the Lost is probably a big mistake along the lines of when they did Journey to the Center of the Earth. Ghosts of Girlfriends Past looks pretty... terrible.

Harry Potter... Okay, correct me if I am wrong, but Ron and Hermione DID NOT KISS IN BOOK SIX. And if they kiss in movie six I'm gonna scream right in the middle of the theater because they fucked up the whole point. I hate how movie reviewers seem to have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to HP. It's not hard to do a little Googling or ask your ten year old.

The Dali movie... I'm sorry, it's probably Twilight, but I can't take Pattinson seriously, ESPECIALLY with that fugly fake mustache that doesn't even look like Dali's. Did they draw it on with marker?

I'm afraid the new Ice Age is going to ruin the perfectly wonderful first two.

Ryan Reynolds and Ashton Kutcher both need to just disappear.

fernandito
04-25-2009, 02:00 PM
It's not technically a Summer Movie, but I'm really looking forward to Terminator : Salvation :excited:

Transformers 2 is going to be off the hizzieeeee!

Ka-mai
04-25-2009, 04:12 PM
:lol: My boyfriend hit the roof when he saw the sequel, he hated the first one and he HATES Shia LaBeouf. I'm not entirely sure why though.

The Lady of Shadows
04-25-2009, 05:30 PM
it counts as a summer movie to me so all i have to say at this moment is:

WOLVERINE! :wub:

oh, and the next transformers movie (i personally like shia labeouf and think he's grown quite decently as an actor. anyone remember him in constantine? loved him in that!)

my husband can't wait for the star trek movie - i'm kind of "meh" about it but i'll go see it with him.

not so sure about terminator: salvation. loved terminator and terminator two. thought three sucked. so i'm not real keen on seeing yet another one. although - christian bale. . . . it's a balancing act i guess.

probably going to see night at the museum two. we'll end up taking my god daughter and her brother i'm sure.
"dumb dumb give me gum gum" :lol:

turtlex
04-25-2009, 05:32 PM
I am going tomorrow to purchase our tickets for the MIDNIGHT show of WOLVERINE for next Friday at 12:01am !!!

So excited !!! Gambit and Wolverine!

Seymour_Glass
04-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Inglourious Basterds!

RUBE
04-25-2009, 09:12 PM
It's not technically a Summer Movie, but I'm really looking forward to Terminator : Salvation :excited:

Transformers 2 is going to be off the hizzieeeee!

According to all of the "summer" movie previews I have ever seen they count all movies from May through August.

I also think T4 will be awesome even though I still have not been able to force myself to watch T3.

Heather19
04-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Inglourious Basterds!

Yes!!!
I'm surprised no one had mentioned it yet. It's really the only movie that I'm super excited about seeing this year. I can't wait!

candy
04-26-2009, 12:34 AM
i have to be careful what i look forward too, as we only have one cinema house - only 2 screens. (the small one - swear its like sitting in someones front room - and we still have a 100 year old woman with the torch pointing you to your seats) so we only get a few films being shown. then i have to wait for the dvd

anyhoo - back to topic -
star trek :drool: looking forward to this very muchly, zach from heroes is really good on the trailer
terminator 4, loved all the terminator films and this one has christian bale :drool:x 2
wolverine - meh? not drooling but if they show it i will warch it as i enjoyed xmen
transformerss 2 -same again, didnt want to see first one but thoroughly enjoyed it so will give beneft of doubt
ice age 3? :wtf: why? i will wait for dvd thanks

fernandito
04-27-2009, 11:01 AM
I also think T4 will be awesome even though I still have not been able to force myself to watch T3.

Just watch T3 with the mindset that it's a 'What If' story and you'll be fine.

Girlystevedave
04-27-2009, 11:11 AM
I cannot wait for Harry Potter. :excited:

And Kamai, you are right. They didn't kiss in the book.
Unless we are both wrong. :cyclops:
I only remember that Ron kissed whatever his girlfriend's name was :lol:...And Harry kissed Ginny

Ka-mai
04-27-2009, 11:21 AM

I only remember that Ron kissed whatever his girlfriend's name was :lol:...And Harry kissed Ginny

I did some Googling, and we are right. :lol: See, now if it does happen, I am probably going to stand up in the middle of the theater and scream "YOU RUINED EVERYTHING YOU ASSHOLE!" And then show up on JK's doorstep protesting for letting the director fuck it up.

I'm passionate about canon. :D

Ricky
04-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of good summer movies out (then again, nothing can top TDK last season). Really, the only summer movie I am looking forward to is Up. Don't laugh, it looks amazing! I always like the Disney/Pixar movies. :lol:

However, although it's not technically a summer movie, I am particularly looking forward to Angels and Demons on the 15th. :rock:

jayson
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Inglourious Basterds!

That's the only one I'm looking forward to so far.

I am not all that into Star Trek but I have friends who are seriously into it and they are not at all happy about the prospects of this movie. They seem to think the character backgrounds shown in previews are contradictory to stuff from the original show. Personally, I have no idea, but they are pretty obsessive about Star Trek so I suspect they know what they're talking about.

fernandito
04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm sorry, but I can't stand Star Trek elitists. Snotty punks. <_<

jayson
04-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I think there's a world of difference between being an elitist and appreciating continuity.

Think about it, if there were a DT movie and we got upset because they changed Roland's past, would that necessarily make us elitists?

The snotty punks are the ones that make adaptations and discard the source material because they think their own ideas are better or more marketable.

fernandito
04-27-2009, 11:53 AM
It's impossible to have continuity when there are HUNDREDS of Star Trek episodes to draw from.

That's like me getting mad at Nolan because he decided to take a few liberties with the Joker and his origins. I'm not expecting him to try and stay loyal to the thousands upon thousands of Joker featured Batman comics, it's just impossible.

And yes, PJ took liberties with LoTR, get over it :P

jayson
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
It's impossible to have continuity when there are HUNDREDS of Star Trek episodes to draw from.

There are only 79 episodes in the original series, which is presumably where this movie needs to draw from being about the original crew. I don't think it's too hard to have continuity there. If the fans can remember the characters' histories, and we all know they do, surely writers can figure it out as well.

My feelings about LotR aside, if and when a director takes such liberties with DT, everyone will be pissed off about it and I will be the first one to questions why anyone expected otherwise.

fernandito
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
This movie isn't strictly for the hardcore fans *coughelitists*, it's also to reel in pepoele that were otherwise unaware/uninterested in the series as well, hence the liberties that were taken with some of the origins to make it appealing to the masses.

There is a HUGE difference between the Star Trek movie and a [hypothetical] DT movie. The DT series is only 7 books long, and it is much easier to adapt something that is 7 books long than it is to stay true to something that is almost 80 episodes in length.

jayson
04-27-2009, 12:15 PM
This movie isn't strictly for the hardcore fans *coughelitists*, it's also to reel in pepoele that were otherwise unaware/uninterested in the series as well, hence the liberties that were taken with some of the origins to make it appealing to the masses.

But that's where the question comes in of who decided what was more appealing to the masses? Who's really to say the masses wouldn't accept the origins as they were?

There is a HUGE difference between the Star Trek movie and a [hypothetical] DT movie. The DT series is only 7 books long, and it is much easier to adapt something that is 7 books long than it is to stay true to something that is almost 80 episodes in length.

And when it gets adapted, there will be changes and people will be pissed. I am also willing to go out on a limb and say many of these changes will be defended by the producers with very similar reasoning about wanting to bring in the masses to whom the books didn't appeal. Just wait. It's coming.

Girlystevedave
04-27-2009, 12:18 PM

I did some Googling, and we are right. :lol: See, now if it does happen, I am probably going to stand up in the middle of the theater and scream "YOU RUINED EVERYTHING YOU ASSHOLE!" And then show up on JK's doorstep protesting for letting the director fuck it up.

I'm passionate about canon. :D

Imagine you stand up and yell that, and then just sit back down and resume eating your popcorn and enjoying the movie. :lol:

Still Servant
04-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Besides most of the films that have already been said, I'm looking forward to Public Enemies, The Hangover and Funny People.

Michael Mann + heist film + Depp + Bale = instant classic.

Check out The Hangover trailer. It looks pretty funny. Mike Tyson has a cameo and it looks like he could steal the movie.

Funny People looks great with Judd Apatow's usual suspects and Adam Sandler. I think it should be a good summer.

Oh, how could I forget G.I. Joe? I was a huge fan of the cartoon growing up and I still have my little action figures (over 100 to be exact) so I will be first in line there.

obscurejude
04-27-2009, 03:00 PM

But that's where the question comes in of who decided what was more appealing to the masses? Who's really to say the masses wouldn't accept the origins as they were?

And when it gets adapted, there will be changes and people will be pissed. I am also willing to go out on a limb and say many of these changes will be defended by the producers with very similar reasoning about wanting to bring in the masses to whom the books didn't appeal. Just wait. It's coming.

I tend to side with Feev on this. Movies are another medium and if perfect adaptations are expected one should prepare to be disappointed. In regards to the DT, people need to be more reasonable in their expectations. Its a movie that must make a concise presentation of source material with immensely convoluted themes and discontinuity between time and space as its leitmotif.

Star Trek, whatever. If older trekies went to the movies, it'd be geared to them, but they don't, unfortunately. Teenagers do and its their world- we're just living in it. If your expectations are appropriate, it probably won't be a bad movie going experience. Just a typical one.

Star Trek is just too big a franchise to be picked up by an independent studio and teenagers are not going to flock to see another film in the vein of is precedents. In this case, Jayson, the masses are defined by the teenagers who purchase the tickets.

obscurejude
04-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Hannah Montanah already came out so I'm personally good for 2009. Everything else would just be anticlimactic for me.

turtlex
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
:lol: Ryan Rocks :lol:

obscurejude
04-27-2009, 03:07 PM
:cool:

jayson
04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Movies are another medium and if perfect adaptations are expected one should prepare to be disappointed

Which was precisely my point. My friends are prepared to be disappointed.

I agree in principle with both you and Feev, but I would stress, there is no empirical way to deduce whether or not the changes made are what's going to put more viewers in the theaters. It is an after-the-fact justification of the changes that sounds fine in theory but without two complete versions of the film released simultaneously in competition, it's not but speculation.

Also, "older people" like my friends go to plenty of movies. Don't let this being Florida fool you. We're not all asleep after the early bird special. :P

obscurejude
04-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Movies are another medium and if perfect adaptations are expected one should prepare to be disappointed

Which was precisely my point. My friends are prepared to be disappointed.

I agree in principle with both you and Feev, but I would stress, there is no empirical way to deduce whether or not the changes made are what's going to put more viewers in the theaters. It is an after-the-fact justification of the changes that sounds fine in theory but without two complete versions of the film released simultaneously in competition, it's not but speculation.

Also, "older people" like my friends go to plenty of movies. Don't let this being Florida fool you. We're not all asleep after the early bird special. :P

The empirical evidence that I suggested was ticket sales and their respective demographics. I'm a moviegoer, but the older I get, the more I find myself in independent movie houses. Its just the way it is. The changes have "worked" in the past, and that's why they're implemented.

This is the case in America anyways. Come on, you know I hate it just as much as you. I'm glad that your friends are "prepared" to be disappointed, but I insist, they don't represent the movie going masses.

Also, the last time I was in Tampa, all the movie theaters smelled like Ben Gay. :P Its a unique place, for sure. I affectionately refer to it as God's waiting room.

jayson
04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
The empirical evidence that I suggested was ticket sales and their respective demographics. I'm a moviegoer, but the older I get, the more I find myself in independent movie houses. Its just the way it is. The changes have "worked" in the past, and that's why they're implemented.

I think it's a bit specious to suggest the ticket sales are representative of successful changes to the continuity. People see movies for a million reasons. How many of them would have still seen it with a different continuity? There's no way to tell that's what brought them in.

ETA: If you mean it's indicative of the age of audiences, I concede that from the start, but there are two points at play here.

obscurejude
04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
This coming from the man who bitched about Fast and Fuorious making over 30 million its opening weekend. :rolleyes:

Unfound One
04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Hannah Montanah already came out so I'm personally good for 2009. Everything else would just be anticlimactic for me.

Would it be completely ridiculous to have two Ryan quotes in my signature at the same time...? :unsure:

Seymour_Glass
04-27-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm really looking forward to Star Trek. But I was never a Trekkie. But Leonard Nimoy is in it as future Spock. Seems legit.Inglourious Basterds!!!!!1!!!

obscurejude
04-28-2009, 01:39 AM

Would it be completely ridiculous to have two Ryan quotes in my signature at the same time...? :unsure:

of course not. :cool:

obscurejude
04-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Jayson, what happened to the quotes above? It looks like you are me quoting me. I'm mad confused.

jayson
04-28-2009, 02:45 AM
This coming from the man who bitched about Fast and Fuorious making over 30 million its opening weekend. :rolleyes:

That actually makes my point for me. The "moviegoing public" will see anything as long as the commercials have (a) an explosion or (b) Seth Rogen. So, as long as the trailers for Star Trek have cool special effects and stuff blowing up, what difference would it make if they stayed somewhat loyal to the back stories of the characters given 40 years ago on the show?

candy
04-28-2009, 10:39 AM
**** candy jumps into star trek arguement*****

hello peoples, if i can just add my 2 pennies to the whole star trek continuity thingy - the one thing that will really annoy me more than character deviations is tech deviations. reason being that people (characters and real people do change and changes in the past lives can be overlooked in most cases. BUT.... if they make this star trek more technologically advanced than the original its a mess.

but i will be hard for them to do this as we as a world are more advanced than the orginal series, (example - blue tooth verses little gold walkie talkies)

I know i have rambled and i apologise but this inconsistency was one reason i could not watch enterprise

***jumps back out****

:borg:

jayson
04-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I heard the movie Kirk will have an iPhone. :P

candy
04-28-2009, 10:44 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seymour_Glass
04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
I heard the movie Kirk will have an iPhone. :P

Oh, god, win.

obscurejude
04-28-2009, 11:56 AM

That actually makes my point for me. The "moviegoing public" will see anything as long as the commercials have (a) an explosion or (b) Seth Rogen. So, as long as the trailers for Star Trek have cool special effects and stuff blowing up, what difference would it make if they stayed somewhat loyal to the back stories of the characters given 40 years ago on the show?

a) Seth Rogen should not be used pejoratively, ever.

b) You have a point, but I think in regards to what Feev posted earlier, something like Star Trek's source material poses some continuity issues in and of itself which would be difficult to concisely present in 2 hours of pure dialog. Making it slick with special effects gives them even less time to be completely loyal to the back stories.

c) I'm not sure what we're arguing about.

d) I like tacos.

fernandito
04-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I agree with everything Ryan said , especially d).

jayson
04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
I love Seth Rogen, I have ever since Freaks & Geeks, but he is in a lot of movies I will never see because they look so stupid. There seems to be a new one every week.

Tacos are good.

:)

Unfound One
04-28-2009, 12:21 PM

of course not. :cool:

Okay good.

obscurejude
04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
:rofl:

Unfound One
04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
I know, right?

sarajean
04-28-2009, 01:10 PM
a) Seth Rogen should not be used pejoratively, ever.

b) You have a point, but I think in regards to what Feev posted earlier, something like Star Trek's source material poses some continuity issues in and of itself which would be difficult to concisely present in 2 hours of pure dialog. Making it slick with special effects gives them even less time to be completely loyal to the back stories.

c) I'm not sure what we're arguing about.

d) I like tacos.

a) :lol:

c) :lol:²

d) :lol:³

obscurejude
04-28-2009, 01:23 PM
:D

:rofl:

sarajean
04-28-2009, 02:13 PM
you're thinking about how much it cost, aren't you?

RUBE
04-28-2009, 03:58 PM

I tend to side with Feev on this. Movies are another medium and if perfect adaptations are expected one should prepare to be disappointed. In regards to the DT, people need to be more reasonable in their expectations. Its a movie that must make a concise presentation of source material with immensely convoluted themes and discontinuity between time and space as its leitmotif.

Star Trek, whatever. If older trekies went to the movies, it'd be geared to them, but they don't, unfortunately. Teenagers do and its their world- we're just living in it. If your expectations are appropriate, it probably won't be a bad movie going experience. Just a typical one.

Star Trek is just too big a franchise to be picked up by an independent studio and teenagers are not going to flock to see another film in the vein of is precedents. In this case, Jayson, the masses are defined by the teenagers who purchase the tickets.

Considering that JJ Abrams is behind this new Star Trek and he currently has the option on The Dark Tower, I think we can assume that the same kind of changes from the source material would happen in both (even though he is a bigger Dark Tower fan).

fernandito
04-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I guarantee there'll be significant changes in the Dark Tower movie.

But you know what? I'm still going to watch it and love it :D

sarah
04-28-2009, 04:07 PM
same here, sugarpop! The thing is, they will NEVER get Jake right. I'm accepting of this and will just enjoy what they can do. I know the books will ALWAYS be better. It's kind of sort of like Harry Potter. The movies have the same theme but not the same story. I think this is what will happen with The Dark Tower, imo.

RUBE
04-28-2009, 04:09 PM
True. When it comes out it might be the first time I make a midnight premere of a movie and maybe I might even be dressed up.

sarah
04-28-2009, 04:11 PM
WHOA----are you saying you've never seen a midnight premier? what about Star Wars or Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings? some moves are made to see at midnight, imo

RUBE
04-28-2009, 04:17 PM
I have been to plenty of late night movies but never had the motivation to wait in line for a movie I could just walk right into the next day. I almost changed this policy for Watchmen until I found out that the first THREE showings at the theater (one every five minutes) were already full.

Sam
04-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Dude, you haven't lived until you attend the first showing in a metropolitan area of a big deal film that FANS will go to. Seeing people so jacked up to see a film that they dress up like characters from the film may be fodder for many jackasses and assholes to poke fun of, not to mention the hordes of comedians who use such gatherings for material, but it is an true experience to be in and amongst such a fervor. It's intoxicating and contagious at the same time. You get people really reacting to even the smallest stuff, and I find it enhances the experience when the excitement from the crowd is palpable. Of course, if the film sucks hog balls you feel the amplification of the audience's anger too.

The Lady of Shadows
04-28-2009, 08:15 PM
my first midnight premiere ever: (get ready feev) the dark knight

ETA: i don't count midnight showings of rocky horror as they are not premieres. :cyclops:

turtlex
04-29-2009, 03:09 AM
I love going to midnight shows!

I have my tickets in hand for the 12:01am for Wolverine and I'm really looking forward to it.

It's a wonderful vibe and most importantly.... NO ONE TALKS THROUGH THE MOVIE !

candy
04-29-2009, 10:06 AM
i have never been to a midnight showing. then again we still have an old fashioned picture house with 2 screens (the small one is the size of my dining room swear to god) and the 100 year old woman directing you to your seat even though the lights are on.

i thnk though, that if the dark tower is made into a film i may just catch a plane across to england and see a midnight showing for that one

Ka-mai
04-29-2009, 07:35 PM

I have my tickets in hand for the 12:01am for Wolverine and I'm really looking forward to it.

That is reason enough for me to want to go buy tickets to all the midnight showings.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Inglorious basterds, and Up are the main ones I am looking forward too. I know that seems like an odd mix. Star Trek wouldnt even get a second glance from me if JJ Abrams wasnt the director. Terminator might be pretty good.

Overall, .....meh

turtlex
04-30-2009, 02:47 AM

That is reason enough for me to want to go buy tickets to all the midnight showings.

I know what you mean. :couple:

I would actually pay extra if a theater could ensure this.

Countdown to WOLVERINE !!!!!!!!

Brice
04-30-2009, 03:37 AM

Okay, but I'm warning you Jake is gonna' be a little black boy in a wheelchair hooked on heroin with a penchant for shoplifting who says EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! alot. My understanding is Keanu Reeves and his facial expression have been slated for the role.

candy
04-30-2009, 09:23 AM
:wtf:

Still Servant
04-30-2009, 02:55 PM
I love Seth Rogen, I have ever since Freaks & Geeks, but he is in a lot of movies I will never see because they look so stupid. There seems to be a new one every week.

Tacos are good.

:)

Which movies are you talking about because I think some of Rogen's films are very good?

Superbad is an instant classic. Knocked Up is a solid film with a heart. Pineapple Express is also a funny movie. I even though Zack and Miri Make a Porno wasn't too bad.

Besides Observe & Report, I think all of Rogen's recent films are worth seeing.

jayson
04-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Which movies are you talking about because I think some of Rogen's films are very good?

It's mostly the annoying commercials for Observe & Report that prompted that comment on my part. I don't understand why it's supposed to be funny. I did love Superbad though.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Seth Rogan is the funniest comedian in the biz right now. IMHO

Sam
04-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Actually, I find Seth Rogan to be not so funny. Not as bad as Tom Green, but he hasn't impressed me so far.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Opinions vary

sarajean
05-01-2009, 02:02 PM
:excited: GEEKGASM! :excited: (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=55065)

honestly, i don't care if it sucks.

turtlex
05-01-2009, 02:03 PM
sj : the mind of an eleven year old boy in the body of a beautiful woman.

sarajean
05-01-2009, 02:08 PM
:lol:

i was going to dispute that, but decided to just take the damn compliment.

turtlex
05-01-2009, 02:10 PM
And it was meant as one!

< --- often referred to as a 12 year old by my girlfriend!

sarajean
05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
um, didja see baroness?

turtlex
05-01-2009, 02:20 PM
:gulp:
:still a tad flushed:

sarajean
05-01-2009, 02:22 PM
i think i need to watch it again. :lol:

turtlex
05-01-2009, 02:26 PM
We're going to crash the server.

sarajean
05-01-2009, 02:27 PM

jeff was just talking shit about it. i told him to shut the fuck up. and i haven't even been drinking yet!

fernandito
05-01-2009, 03:56 PM
SNAKE EYES LOOKS AWESOME.

Heather19
05-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Just found out that Miyazaki's latest film Ponyo will finally be released in the US in august! Can't wait!

candy
05-02-2009, 06:53 AM
i'm going to see star trek. yeah and double yea

just booked to go to pictures next friday. whoop whoope

i'm a little bit excited by the way.

wolverine on this weekend but fully booked so will have to wait for dvd. hey ho

Ka-mai
05-02-2009, 07:39 PM

Okay, but I'm warning you Jake is gonna' be a little black boy in a wheelchair hooked on heroin with a penchant for shoplifting who says EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! alot. My understanding is Keanu Reeves and his facial expression have been slated for the role.

:rofl: The fact that you referred to his facial expression as a separate entity is amazing!

Also: New Miyazaki? Interesting. I'm torn on his works. Some are very good and some (Totoro) are kind of disappointing.

Heather19
05-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Yeah, there were a few that I didn't particularly love, but his recent ones Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are probably my two favorites by him, so I've got high hopes this one will be just as good.

Ka-mai
05-02-2009, 08:39 PM
I thought Howl's was brilliant. At least until my roommate started telling me about the books. :lol: But the movie rocks.

Spirited Away and Nausica were also good. I liked Princess Mononoke but I thought the ending with the "omg let's suddenly decide to be environmentally friendly because my arm's gone" was a little simplistic. But it's been a long time since I've seen it so maybe it's just over-simplified in my head. :P

obscurejude
05-02-2009, 08:59 PM
I haven't seen these movies but maybe I should check them out since you guys like them so much.

Unfound One
05-02-2009, 09:09 PM
I love Spirited Away.

Mordred Deschain
05-02-2009, 09:19 PM
t-minus 10 hours till wolverine!

turtlex
05-03-2009, 04:29 AM
Mord - Make sure you post in the Wolverine thread when you get back!

Brice
05-03-2009, 04:46 AM

:rofl: The fact that you referred to his facial expression as a separate entity is amazing!

Also: New Miyazaki? Interesting. I'm torn on his works. Some are very good and some (Totoro) are kind of disappointing.

His facial expression is considering a solo career. :cyclops: Keanu is devastated. You really can't tell though. :lol:

Mordred Deschain
05-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Wolverine Thread!?!?! OK

Heather19
05-03-2009, 06:41 AM
I haven't seen these movies but maybe I should check them out since you guys like them so much.

Oh Ryan, you definitely should. They're wonderful films. I'd recommend checking out the two I listed above.

I thought Howl's was brilliant. At least until my roommate started telling me about the books. :lol: But the movie rocks.

Spirited Away and Nausica were also good. I liked Princess Mononoke but I thought the ending with the "omg let's suddenly decide to be environmentally friendly because my arm's gone" was a little simplistic. But it's been a long time since I've seen it so maybe it's just over-simplified in my head. :P

It's been awhile since I've seen Nausica and Princess Mononoke but I do remember not enjoying them as much as the others. What about Kiki's Delivery Service? I thought that one was really cute.

Ka-mai
05-03-2009, 11:38 AM

His facial expression is considering a solo career. :cyclops: Keanu is devastated. You really can't tell though. :lol:

:rofl: FTW!

Brice
05-04-2009, 11:10 AM
:D

candy
05-09-2009, 02:26 AM
i went to see star trek last night - oh my god it was fanbloodytastic :drool:

loved it so much i may start a thread - **pops off to see if one has been started**

Heather19
05-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Rob Zombie's Halloween sequel just got a release date of Aug 28th :excited:

Seems like all the movies I want to see this summer are all getting released right around the same time.

jayson
05-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Rob Zombie's Halloween sequel just got a release date of Aug 28th :excited:

Seems like all the movies I want to see this summer are all getting released right around the same time.

All right around my birthday. :D

Heather19
05-12-2009, 05:35 PM
:huglove: It's a good time to be born.

Lily-sai
05-13-2009, 03:43 AM

Shit, Brice, why it is always YOU that makes me spit my Coca-Cola all around?? :wtf:
*cleans my computer screen and coughs vigorously*

Going to see Angels and Demons this Friday!

theyspunaweb
06-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Is anyone else excited about Where the Wild Things Are, and 9? Especially the first?

jayson
06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm actually rather wary about a live action Where the Wild Things Are, however I am extremely excited about the score for it because it's being performed by Marc Ribot.

Kidd Ikarus
06-04-2009, 11:59 AM
9 looks really good. I saw the trailer before Wolverine and I'm interested to learn some more about it.

Unfound One
06-04-2009, 12:32 PM
The Where the Wild Things Are trailer looks pretty promising.
And I had no clue Marc Ribot was doing the score - !

That's quite exciting. :thumbsup:

jayson
06-04-2009, 12:35 PM
The Where the Wild Things Are trailer looks pretty promising.
And I had no clue Marc Ribot was doing the score - !

That's quite exciting. :thumbsup:

It is exciting. My understanding is that he didn't write it but he is playing it. Either way, it means the score will be interesting. As for the movie, I suspect I will see it, but I'm not particularly fond of live action adaptations of things like this.

Heather19
06-04-2009, 01:26 PM
I had no idea 9 was coming out anytime soon. Looks pretty interesting.

jayson
06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Burton always gets the benefit of the doubt from me. I will definitely see 9.

turtlex
06-04-2009, 01:32 PM
I am both excited, and scared, about Where The Wild Things Are.

Heather19
06-04-2009, 01:51 PM

Same here. If he's involved with something, I'll definitely check it out.

Seymour_Glass
06-04-2009, 04:32 PM
I am both excited, and scared, about Where The Wild Things Are.

Same here. Spike Jonze is good, but has he directed anything before that wasn't written by that mad genius Charlie Kaufman?

Inglourious Basterds!!!!!!

Heather19
06-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Inglourious Basterds!!!!!!

Can't wait! :excited::excited::excited:

So Spike Jonze is directing Where the Wild Things Are :orely:, could be interesting. I might have to check it out.

fernandito
06-04-2009, 05:08 PM

Same here. If he's involved with something, I'll definitely check it out.

He's not directing or writing though, only producing.

jayson
06-04-2009, 05:19 PM
true, but he is involved so i'll check it out. whether i like it or not is entirely different.

Heather19
06-04-2009, 05:24 PM
I remember watching the short years ago and enjoying it, so I'm wondering about a feature film. I'm hoping it's good.

Seymour_Glass
06-05-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm kinda lukewarm on Burton. It just seems to me that he(and, to a lesser degree, Ridley Scott) make movies that look good rather than feel good. Now, as a Wes Anderson fan, I can tell you that aesthetics go a long way, but Tim never has the meat to it that I crave.

Inglourious Basterds!!!!!!!

Heather19
06-05-2009, 07:52 PM
What about Edward Scissorhands, or Beetlejuice?

Seymour_Glass
06-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Edward Scissorhands was good, but I think that it was way overblown.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Burton is easily my favorite director.

<ô> bango skank <ô>
06-05-2009, 08:03 PM
beetlejuice:thumbsup:

Heather19
06-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Edward Scissorhands was good, but I think that it was way overblown.

:(

Burton's one of my favorite directors as well. Second only to Tarantino.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I guess it would be a tossup between Burton and Tarantino.

Also have much respect for Spielburg and Oliver Stone.

Seymour_Glass
06-05-2009, 08:08 PM
And despite my swooning over Inglourious Basterds, I have to say I want Tarantino to make at least one film that has a message or moves my heart as much as it blows my mind.

God, I'm so nitpicky about directors. Even the really good ones, like tarantino or burton.Big Fish :thumbsup:

<ô> bango skank <ô>
06-05-2009, 08:08 PM
nightmare before christmas. awsome.

Seymour_Glass
06-05-2009, 08:09 PM
I could start a website of me yelling at my favorite directors to be better.

<ô> bango skank <ô>
06-05-2009, 08:14 PM
musical efforts though..... noooooooo

Heather19
06-05-2009, 08:20 PM
And despite my swooning over Inglourious Basterds, I have to say I want Tarantino to make at least one film that has a message or moves my heart as much as it blows my mind.

God, I'm so nitpicky about directors. Even the really good ones, like tarantino or burton.Big Fish :thumbsup:

:lol: I so thought that was going to say Inglourious Basterds

Seymour_Glass
06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
In the words of M Night Shamalyn(however you spell it)

What a twist!

sarajean
06-20-2009, 05:07 PM
fuck. yes. (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=56459)

turtlex
06-20-2009, 06:18 PM
sarajean, I saw Ray Park at Wizard World... he was sooo cute !!!

I can't wait to see GI Joe!!!

Seymour_Glass
06-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Am I the only person who thinks that maybe a G.I. Joe film is a bad idea?

sarajean
06-21-2009, 09:10 AM
seymour, you hush right now.

btw, i was totally channelling you in chat last night. ask SJ and jayson.

INGLORIOUS BASTERDS!!!! :excited:

Seymour_Glass
06-21-2009, 02:45 PM
It's Spreading!Yes!YoureallythinkI'lldoitagain??:P

sarajean
06-21-2009, 03:02 PM
:o

you

are

cracking

me

up!

:huglove:

Seymour_Glass
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
So; anybody got any good talk about Public Enemies, Bruno, Up, The Hangover, orInglourious Basterds?

Up was good. I just don't want this thread to die till September.

Heather19
07-12-2009, 09:30 AM
I was going to go see Public Enemies last night, but things didn't work out, so later on this week I'll hopefully be able to catch it.

Anyone see the previews for The Orphan. I can't wait to see this one. I just hope it's scary like the previews make it out to be.

Mordred Deschain
07-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Am I the only person who thinks that maybe a G.I. Joe film is a bad idea?

Yes and no. Depends on how they do it. I see that they are following the Sigma 6 story line from the newer cartoon series. I'm looking at it as being a pretty cool shoot em up movie with cool filmography and ninjas to boot, and not worrying about the actual GI Joe thing. They pretty much could have made any movie about any anti-terrorism military group, GI Joe just happenes to be the original.

turtlex
07-20-2009, 02:52 PM
I am completely looking forward to the GI Joe movie.

I predict something along the lines of Independence Day. Lots of fun, things blowing up and best of all, the Baroness!

sarajean
07-20-2009, 03:14 PM
I am completely looking forward to the GI Joe movie.

I predict something along the lines of Independence Day. Lots of fun, things blowing up and best of all, the Baroness!

THIS!

fernandito
07-20-2009, 03:46 PM
G.I Joe is gonna be dope, I can't wait to see Snake Eyes in action!

sarajean
07-20-2009, 04:09 PM
G.I Joe is gonna be dope, I can't wait to see Snake Eyes in action!

and also this.

:couple:

Mordred Deschain
07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Oh...so this

I'm looking at it as being a pretty cool shoot em up movie with cool filmography and ninjas to boot,

so this didn't cut it?

sarajean
07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Oh...so this

I'm looking at it as being a pretty cool shoot em up movie with cool filmography and ninjas to boot,

so this didn't cut it?

AND THIS!

Mordred Deschain
07-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Oh...so this

so this didn't cut it?

AND THIS!

:couple: heh ur awesome!

sarajean
07-20-2009, 04:40 PM
yeah, i know.

:ninja:

Ricky
07-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Someone previously mentioned Bruno? Let me just give a warning to anyone who is thinking about going to see it.

The MPAA rating is very deceiving. Bruno is, by far, the most disgustingly graphic, language filled, plotless, sorry excuse for a film that I have ever seen. Yes, I did see it--I'll get into that later. The film is boarderline pornographic. Not just a small scene here and there--it's packed with disgusting humor that is far from its intent to be funny.

Judging by the previews, you would never guess that the film would contain such language, innuendos, and pornographic nature. The trailer was hilarious so I went to see it with my mom and fourteen year old sister. Not a good idea at all.

At first, we were all very excited for the movie. We expected it to be funny with some dirty humor (it was, after all, an R rating) but no where near what it was. After about 30 minutes into the film, the jokes began to fade and turn into pure plotless porn. Honestly, that's what it was--a porn movie. Once we stayed for that half hour, we got up and left. It was so digusting that we had to leave. That is saying something being that I have never walked out on a movie before.

In the end, I would strongly encourage anyone who is thinking about going to see the movie to reconsider after reading what I just wrote. Read some other reviews too. I'd rather not get into the specifics of the 'activities' in the film, but rest assured that it was not an R-film. At the least, it should have been rated NC-17 and I have no problem with saying that anyone who enjoyed this movie is just as sick as those who created it.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Someone previously mentioned Bruno? Let me just give a warning to anyone who is thinking about going to see it.

The MPAA rating is very deceiving. Bruno is, by far, the most disgustingly graphic, language filled, plotless, sorry excuse for a film that I have ever seen. Yes, I did see it--I'll get into that later. The film is boarderline pornographic. Not just a small scene here and there--it's packed with disgusting humor that is far from its intent to be funny.

Judging by the previews, you would never guess that the film would contain such language, innuendos, and pornographic nature. The trailer was hilarious so I went to see it with my mom and fourteen year old sister. Not a good idea at all.

At first, we were all very excited for the movie. We expected it to be funny with some dirty humor (it was, after all, an R rating) but no where near what it was. After about 30 minutes into the film, the jokes began to fade and turn into pure plotless porn. Honestly, that's what it was--a porn movie. Once we stayed for that half hour, we got up and left. It was so digusting that we had to leave. That is saying something being that I have never walked out on a movie before.

In the end, I would strongly encourage anyone who is thinking about going to see the movie to reconsider after reading what I just wrote. Read some other reviews too. I'd rather not get into the specifics of the 'activities' in the film, but rest assured that it was not an R-film. At the least, it should have been rated NC-17 and I have no problem with saying that anyone who enjoyed this movie is just as sick as those who created it.

Funny, this review just kinda makes me want to see it.

Brice
07-24-2009, 03:14 AM
Me too! No offense Ricky, but your review screams watch this film to see if it's really this bad. :rofl:

jayson
07-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Judging by the previews, you would never guess that the film would contain such language, innuendos, and pornographic nature.

well, judging by the fact that it's a sacha baron cohen film, i would actually guess it was precisely that kind of film.

i suppose that i can't place myself entirely in your shoes as i have been familiar with the bruno character since da ali g show and know exactly what to expect from cohen at this point. i don't get out to the movies much, but i will be seeing this one on dvd the second it's available. to me, the man is a comedic genius.

idk, my bff jill?
07-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Seeing as I already watched Public Enemies, Harry Potter and the HBP, and The Hangover (which in my opinion was the best of the three), I figure I'll watch Bruno tonight.
And I heard Bruno is racy, to say the least, but I don't think I've heard any feedback quite as negative as yours, Ricky. :scared:
I'm still going to watch it since a good friend of mine said it was okay (although not as good as Borat), but that kind of humor is usually hit-or-miss with me.
My fingers are crossed.

In other news, (500) Days of Summer won't be coming to Puerto Rico.
I am less than pleased. :(
I want to make love to Zooey Deschanel.

Ricky
07-24-2009, 06:26 AM
You know, I kind of figured that a negative review would entice viewers to go see it, but hey, what can you do?

R of G, I didn't know that Bruno was a character on another show before I went to see it, so aside from the trailer, I didn't know what to expect. ><

Now, on to Public Enemies! Oh my God, it was a total waste of film, money (production money, that is), and talent. The film had so much potential, yet it failed to deliver in my opinion. The directing was quite bad, storyline and plot left much to be desired as well as unanswered backstory questions, and Johnny Depp's talent was wasted--I mean totally wasted. Honestly, if it weren't for him in the movie, there's no way it would've been as successful in the box office.

Man, thinking on it, I really have not seen any good movies for awhile and I kind of upsets me. I saw Quarantine awhile back and that was $4.99 that I'll never get back. When I want to watch a rabid old lady rip the neck off people, I'll go visit a senior center.

idk, my bff jill?
07-24-2009, 06:36 AM
I agree on the Public Enemies thing, but I think I just expected too much from it.
I don't think it was a terrible film or anything like that, but it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be.
And don't get me started on Christian Bale.
It was almost as if he wasn't even in the damn film.

As for Quarantine, that looked pretty bad from the trailers. :unsure:

Ricky
07-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I think Christian Bale got like 15 minutes of total screen time? All of which were hard to watch. The accent was terrible too--it kind of made it seem like he had a disability.

I think I expected too much from it too. I thought it'd be more exciting and climatic and revolving around Dillinger's bank robberies, which they really didn't. I was expecting awesome scenes like the opening bank robbery of TDK.

fernandito
07-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I think I expected too much from it too. I thought it'd be more exciting and climatic and revolving around Dillinger's bank robberies, which they really didn't. I was expecting awesome scenes like the opening bank robbery of TDK.

Or like that amazing bank robbery scene from Heat, which was directed by, um ... what's his name? :lol:

candy
07-24-2009, 10:04 AM

Apparantley, so i hear, there are cinemas in the Uk, that are warning you on the booking line that the film is really bad and disgusting. and if you stll want to see it not to complain the the cinema as you were pre-warned!!!!:wtf:

i wont be going, i hated ali g, hated borat and hated bruno in the series so have stayed away from anything related to sasha, (unless its madagasca lol)

Ricky
07-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Too bad the theaters here (at least the one I went to) didn't give a warning. :borg:

I like him in madagascar too, but will stay away from anything else that's not PG! haha

Heather19
07-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Regarding Public Enemies, granted Bale wasn't in the film as much as Depp, but he still had the second largest role in the film. The whole film pretty much just revolves around Depp's character, but Bale still got quite a bit of screen time in my opinion.
Feev, have you seen it yet?

And Ricky, did you really not like Quarantine? How come? I loved that film. It's easily one of my top horror films in recent years.

Ricky
07-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Yes, I can honestly say that I'm not one of Quarantine's biggest fans. I didn't like the fact that it took so long to get into the actual plot of the movie and get the ball rolling. I mean, the scenes and length spent at the fire dept. were unnecessary in my opinion.

Also, besides dozens of zombie-esque people walking around and eating each other, there needed to me more character development and plot advancements. For example, I would have really liked to see more action from outside the apartment building and more about the virus, who did it, etc.

Another BIG thing that annoyed me was that they totally give away the ending in the movie poster. After seeing the poster, I began to wonder when I would see the scene that was depicted in it.

The casting needed improvements too. The lead role (Angela?) seemed to say "Oh my God! Oh my God!" an awful lot--kind of like it was her only line. I wish the characters had more dialogue where they were working through the problem and trying to figure things out.

Overall, I just don't think it cut it. It had potential to be a good film too. :(

Heather19
07-24-2009, 03:21 PM
:( And I think I enjoyed it for the reasons you didn't.
I honestly could have cared less about the virus and where/how it started. To me it was just a glimpse into this moment of a few peoples lives. The only thing we are aware of is what they know, and nothing more. And as for them showing anything outside of the apartment, I think it would have taken away the claustrophobic feeling that was being built. Both of those combined (along with the shooting style) helped to build a feeling that would make you feel like you were trapped in the movie right along with them.

I can agree with the movie poster thing however. That's also a reason why I stay away from reviews of films that I want to see till after I watch them. It just gives away too much information, and I'm the type of person that would prefer to go into a movie with only knowing just the basic premise, nothing more.

Ricky
07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
a feeling that would make you feel like you were trapped in the movie right along with them.

I love when movie's do that, which is part of why I'm so fond of the Saw series. However, I just wish there would've been some more talking amongst the characters about their situation. If I were to grade the movie based on just that feeling of claustrophobia, then I would rate it very high.

I'm the type of person that would prefer to go into a movie with only knowing just the basic premise, nothing more.

I totally understand that one! I can not stand it when trailers practically tell you everything before the darn movie is released. There need to be some suprises left without everything crammed into a 2 minute trailer.

Mordred Deschain
07-25-2009, 09:44 AM

Apparantley, so i hear, there are cinemas in the Uk, that are warning you on the booking line that the film is really bad and disgusting. and if you stll want to see it not to complain the the cinema as you were pre-warned!!!!:wtf:

i wont be going, i hated ali g, hated borat and hated bruno in the series so have stayed away from anything related to sasha, (unless its madagasca lol)

First, it's from the makers of Borat. It may be worse than Borat, but if you've seen or heard of Borat, then really why do you need a warning. That's like going to see one of the Jackass movies. You should know what the hell it's going to be about or at least the "HUMOR" involved. I'm actually kind of surprised people have not become desensitized to this type of stuff yet.
Second, it's all a rip off of Andy Kaufman. Just like the remakes of movies for the last few years, people can't come up with their own original idea. It would almost make me believe Kaufman IS still alive and secretly writing all of this.

candy
07-25-2009, 10:05 AM
because some people have just seen the trailers - and have not made the connection, or did not realise the connection. Not everyone has watched the Ali G show?

The cohen brothers (for example) sometimes have the same people in their films, but that does not mean that the films are alike.

personally, i knew what to expect - and did not go. But an awful lot of people did not.

Mordred Deschain
07-25-2009, 10:23 AM
because some people have just seen the trailers - and have not made the connection, or did not realise the connection. Not everyone has watched the Ali G show?

The cohen brothers (for example) sometimes have the same people in their films, but that does not mean that the films are alike.

personally, i knew what to expect - and did not go. But an awful lot of people did not.

Yes but you could say it is along the same humor lines as Borat so it shouldn't be a surprise. And again, to me, it's all just a rip from Kaufman. Who's Ali G?

I love the Cohen brothers, especially when I found out they did all the editing for Raimi when he finished filming the Evil Dead.

Heather19
07-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I love the Cohen brothers, especially when I found out they did all the editing for Raimi when he finished filming the Evil Dead.

Really? I never knew that.

Mordred Deschain
07-25-2009, 10:36 AM

Really? I never knew that.

It may have not have been both, but ya read "IF Chins could kill..."

http://www.ofertondelibros.com/images/%5Clarge%5Cisbn978031%5C9780312291457-l.jpg

If I remember right, Bruce was also in a couple of Cohen Brother movies. I think Blood Simple.

Heather19
07-25-2009, 10:43 AM
ohhh, I'm gonna have to check that book out. I love Bruce!

jayson
07-25-2009, 01:35 PM
If I remember right, Bruce was also in a couple of Cohen Brother movies. I think Blood Simple.

it's my understanding that campbell was in the promotional trailer (a "teaser" i believe is the term) the coen's made for blood simple, in order to raise money to shoot the film itself. in the actual film, that part was played by dan hedaya and i don't believe campbell is in the film itself.

also, in joel & ethan's case, there is no "h" in coen. not a major point obviously since we all know who we're talking about, but a pet peeve of mine. :rolleyes:

Mordred Deschain
07-25-2009, 01:59 PM

it's my understanding that campbell was in the promotional trailer (a "teaser" i believe is the term) the coen's made for blood simple, in order to raise money to shoot the film itself. in the actual film, that part was played by dan hedaya and i don't believe campbell is in the film itself.

also, in joel & ethan's case, there is no "h" in coen. not a major point obviously since we all know who we're talking about, but a pet peeve of mine. :rolleyes:

You know, I think that's why I wasn't sure if he was in it at first. But Ya, sorry about mispell you would think a fan would know how to spell it. But they did help with The Evil Dead however.

jayson
07-25-2009, 02:03 PM
But they did help with The Evil Dead however.

correct. i believe they are long time friends of mr raimi.

Ruthful
07-26-2009, 12:04 AM
So far I've seen this,

http://www.thestoning.com/

and this,

http://hangovermovie.warnerbros.com/

Wanted to see the Mike Tyson documentary but wasn't able to-I'll try to buy the DVD when it's released. The Hurt Locker is another one that's been hard to get a ticket to see. Other than that, the only upcoming movies I really want to see are Funny People and Inglorious Bastards.

Ricky
07-26-2009, 06:34 AM
First, it's from the makers of Borat. It may be worse than Borat, but if you've seen or heard of Borat, then really why do you need a warning. That's like going to see one of the Jackass movies. You should know what the hell it's going to be about or at least the "HUMOR" involved.

Yes, precisely. After seeing the trailer, I completely made the connection that it would be 90 minutes of porn.

idk, my bff jill?
07-26-2009, 10:16 AM
It really wasn't that bad.
It wasn't an amazing movie, but it was pretty funny.
And that first scene with the buttsecks is hilarious and more importantly, censored, so it's nothing like porn.

Mordred Deschain
07-26-2009, 10:25 AM
First, it's from the makers of Borat. It may be worse than Borat, but if you've seen or heard of Borat, then really why do you need a warning. That's like going to see one of the Jackass movies. You should know what the hell it's going to be about or at least the "HUMOR" involved.

Yes, precisely. After seeing the trailer, I completely made the connection that it would be 90 minutes of porn.

Okay, I guess my question is, why or who spends money on a movie without being informed in one aspect or another? They talked about it on the news, the previews may not have shown 90 minutes of possible porn, but it did say it was from the makers of Borat. Did you see Borat? would you consider it the same humor? because I really enjoyed watching those 2 fricken naked guys running around ? And after that, I am honestly not surprised at the content of this movie.

Ricky
07-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Okay, I guess my question is, why or who spends money on a movie without being informed in one aspect or another? They talked about it on the news, the previews may not have shown 90 minutes of possible porn, but it did say it was from the makers of Borat. Did you see Borat? would you consider it the same humor? because I really enjoyed watching those 2 fricken naked guys running around ? And after that, I am honestly not surprised at the content of this movie.

Yeah, I didn't hear too much publicity or reviews before I went to see it, so I just judged by the trailer. I didn't see Borat either, so that didn't play a part in deciding to see Bruno. If I had seen Borat, it's a great possibility that I would've known what to expect from this movie.

Ruthful
07-26-2009, 04:57 PM
BTW, my anarcho-capitalist blogger friend, Todd Seavey, is going to hold one of his periodic group moviegoing events sometime in the coming weeks. Since the only movie he mentioned, which seems worth seeing, is The Watchmen I figured I'd go to that one.

Any Tower junkie from the Tri-State area who's interested is free to join me. Although, knowing how infrequently I check my e-mails it will probably have passed by the time I'm made aware of it.

ola
07-27-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm looking forward to District 9!

Based roughly on this older short film:

YouTube - Alive in Joberg by Neill Blomkamp Spyfilms (Halo director)

"back in the 1980s, a massive spaceship hovers over Johannesburg, Independence Day-style. While the city braces for an attack ... nothing ever happens. Eventually military forces cut their way into the ship, and they find a million aliens inside in deplorable conditions, sickly and dying. They're brought down to the city and housed in a slum (District 9), and the ship continues to hover over the city."

Everything about this movie is looking really good so far.

candy
07-27-2009, 11:15 AM
oooo that looks good. i shall keep my eyes peeled

fernandito
07-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm looking forward to District 9!...

Everything about this movie is looking really good so far.

YES.

I was watching the extended trailer on IGN yesterday ... Dear Gan ...

/nerdgasm

Mordred Deschain
07-27-2009, 01:26 PM
I can't wait for it too!!