PDA

View Full Version : JESUS CHRIST!!!!

Jon
04-23-2009, 09:21 PM
The official Jesus Christ Superstar thread!!

I got my tickets today for the last tour with what remains of the original cast. Does anyone know who, in the current cast, is NOT original?

IS Pontius Pilate

Is Caiaphas? Caiaphas had a kick ass voice!! I hope he remained.

Jean
04-23-2009, 09:24 PM
thank you for this thread Jon, it's bears' favorite musical ever (the original, with Ian Gillan)

Jon
04-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Hmmm...actually I was concerned that you may view it (the show) as blasphemy.

Jean
04-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Hmmm...actually I was concerned that you may view it (the show) as blasphemy.
I am a Catholic, remember? Even the pope loved it! I know all of it by heart - that's how I learned English, by the way.

Jon
04-23-2009, 09:55 PM
What a great way to learn a language!!! You had the slang (of that day) built right into the lessons!!

(JCSS was a HUGE sin in my home as I was growing up...total blasphemy...I got my self beat up , by my father, for going to the show, then humming some of the songs.)

I LOVED Ian Gillan's talent added to the music!

turtlex
04-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Um, Jon - I'm pretty sure it's just Ted Neely from the movie that's making this tour such a big deal.

Everyone else in the cast is much to young to have been involved in the film or the original broadway cast. http://www.thejcstour.com/cast.html

Bev Vincent
04-24-2009, 06:01 AM
I saw this in London, England in 1978. The stage was very stark -- columns rose out of the floor to form chairs and tables whenever they were needed.

Chap
04-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Yay! I was hoping this was what the thread was about when I saw the title :D
I grew up watching the movie over and over and over (etc.), so that's the real version for me. When I hear other versions I always cringe a little because they don't do it "right" (from my point of view). Ted Neely, Carl Anderson and Barry Dennen all the way for me.

Actually saw a Norwegian version live a few years ago, that was surprisingly good as well.

Jon
04-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Um, Jon - I'm pretty sure it's just Ted Neely from the movie that's making this tour such a big deal.

Everyone else in the cast is much to young to have been involved in the film or the original broadway cast. http://www.thejcstour.com/cast.html

Blast it. I really wanted to hear Caiaphas.

Jean
04-24-2009, 10:52 PM
I remember in the late 80s, when I was studying English and listening to JCS every day... we lived in unbelievable poverty then (the whole country), and when my old tape-recorder (not cassette player. Tape recorder, that big coffin with tapes) suddenly broke, there was no way to listen to my tapes... it was such a big frustration that when in a week a music theater came from Poland and brought their production of JCS in Polish, I went there, little as bears like performances. It was very - well - exotic, to hear it in a Slavonic language; you know, songs should be performed as they were intended too ("Will none of you wake with me - Peter, John, James", not "Jacub, Piotr, Jan" with all them Js sounding like Ys), but at least I could be rid of the withdrawal pains for some time... and then I miraculously repaired the tape-recorder.

alinda
04-25-2009, 01:48 AM
I love this thread, wore my recording out!:wtf:I will now go to work singing JCS all day:D

Jon
04-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Figgn' awesome show!!!!

So POWERFUL!!

It is so much like a passion play! I didn't expect that!

It really puts the film to shame. Great lighting and special FX.

Neely has great pipes!

This show, live, can move one to tears!

I think, as the live show goes, that the last temptation was likely the best scene. It was certainly MUCH better than in the film.

turtlex
04-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Jon - So cool you had a good time!

Jon
04-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Thank you.

Locke and I just talked the whole time. Big Neely fans, we be.

turtlex
04-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Oh, you took Locke with you?

What at good Dad!

Jon
05-01-2009, 01:21 AM
I would have it no other way. Wifey looked a bit lost though.

Brice
05-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Even us nonbelievers love JCS. I have the original soundtrack on vinyl. :D

turtlex
05-01-2009, 05:53 AM
Brice? You're a non-believer in musical theater. Cripes... haven't you seen Cats??!?!

Jon - I think it's wonderful you brought Locke with you. Especially to such a rockin' show. Sorry about your wife.. perhaps rent the DVD and watch it with her.

Brice
05-01-2009, 06:12 AM
:lol: No, I've never seen Cats.

Jon
05-02-2009, 12:19 AM
:lol: No, I've never seen Cats.

Hmmm...try your local animal shelter or a Chinese food establishment.

Brice
05-09-2009, 07:06 AM
:lol: