PDA

View Full Version : Non King books that are referenced in King's stories.

Darkthoughts
04-14-2009, 02:01 AM
I bought Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque Of The Red Death at the weekend, as ever since I found out that it was referenced in King's The Shining, I've been interested to read it and see how comparisons may be drawn.

So, this thread is to list non King books referenced in King's works - either by title, or by way of a homage - and to discuss, recommend and generally find out more about them.

ManOfWesternesse
04-14-2009, 02:57 AM
He mentions Tolkien's Lord of the Rings in the DT.
I just wanna get that one right out front here where it belongs! :rock:

Darkthoughts
04-14-2009, 02:59 AM
:lol:

Watership Down and Shardik from DT too.

Watership Down I've read many times and love, couldn't get through Shardik first time round however...has anyone else read it?

ManOfWesternesse
04-14-2009, 03:09 AM
I've read Watership Down a good few times and love it too. I've actually never read Shardik. I did read Adams' The Plague Dogs once, many years ago, think it was not bad but memory ain't great on it.

Darkthoughts
04-14-2009, 03:25 AM
Ahh! I didn't realise he wrote that too. I've seen the cartoon, but not read the book.

jayson
04-14-2009, 04:08 AM
He mentions Tolkien's Lord of the Rings in the DT.
I just wanna get that one right out front here where it belongs! :rock:

Well done Brian. Priorities are important. :D

CRinVA
04-14-2009, 05:02 AM
Lord of the Flies is referenced in Hearts in Atlantis

The King of Kings
04-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Harry Potter in Wolves of the Calla and Dark Tower.

pathoftheturtle
04-17-2009, 09:14 AM
King repeatedly references books he likes.
Watership Down is also referred to in The Stand.
Lord of the Flies in The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and a few other places.
Masque of the Red Death in Song of Susannah. (BTW, what do you think, Darkthoughts? Read it yet?)

Shardik is a great novel, very densely packed with meaning and hard to describe.

To contribute, I guess I can be the first to bring up H.P. Lovecraft on this thread. It'd be a real job to list out all of the references and allusions to his works in King's.:cool:

candy
06-13-2009, 07:24 AM
I've read Watership Down a good few times and love it too. I've actually never read Shardik. I did read Adams' The Plague Dogs once, many years ago, think it was not bad but memory ain't great on it.

you should give shardik a try, its quite hard going but worth it in my opinion.
loved plague dogs

Ka-Shume
06-14-2009, 11:46 AM
He references Star Wars in Wolves of the Calla.

I think he mentions The Raven in IT?

AcidBumbler
06-19-2009, 03:11 PM
And there're the really blatant Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz references in DT :)

Jean
06-19-2009, 11:03 PM
And there're the really blatant Alice in Wonderland <...> references in DT :)
Oh yes. I have been rereading Alice, and made a whole list of those, hope to post them soon.

Ruthful
06-19-2009, 11:07 PM
My sister adores Watership Down! I have a copy on my bookshelf, which I've yet to crack. Along with a copy of Lord of the Flies, of course, which I haven't read since I bought it well over a decade ago.

Should probably get cracking on that.

Darkthoughts
06-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Masque of the Red Death in Song of Susannah. (BTW, what do you think, Darkthoughts? Read it yet?)
Not yet. On the final book of a Tim Powers trilogy - I will read it shortly after I finish...I may need to read something totally light hearted inbetween though!

cody44
06-24-2009, 02:44 PM
In Library Policeman he mentions Robert McCammon's Swan Song.

pathoftheturtle
07-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe

Ves'Ka Gan
07-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe
Which King book is this referenced in? I remember seeing it, too, it stuck out for me as I had to do a research project on Thomas Wolfe & read LHA for it and I remember not liking the book very much. Parts of it were very beautiful but as a whole I found it quite boring.

ola
07-21-2009, 12:02 AM
"a stone, a leaf, an unfound door;"

Mentioned in Wolves of the Calla and at least one book after that...I think! When they see the writing on the door in the cave, and see that it says "Unfound." ("a key, a rose, an unfound door")

pathoftheturtle
07-21-2009, 06:55 AM
All through TDT. Very much an integral part of the series. For example, the quote I used in this post to another thread: DT7 *ending spoiler* (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=409988&postcount=30)

Ves'Ka Gan
07-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Ah yeah! Sorry, I'm not at home with all my books round me and I am scatterbrained, so these things aren't always clear to me when maybe they should be.