PDA

View Full Version : Dave Matthews Band

Heather19
04-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Well it was only a matter of time before I started this thread. As I'm sure you're all aware, I'm a huge fan of this band. And since there's a lot going on for them now, I figured it was an appropriate time.

Their new album Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King is slated to be released on June 2 with the first single hitting airwaves within the next week or so. They are about to embark on their spring tour. And as of last week, they released the first clip with music from the upcoming album. Sounds very promising.

Anyone want to discuss their music?

Kidd Ikarus
04-06-2009, 10:37 AM
They've been my favorite band since about '94. My brother and I who have some very personal and spiritual connections to the band and their music, try to see them at the very least once a year, if not twice. And I 'm going to IZOD next Wednesday!!! I can't friggin wait.

Heather19
04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Same with me. I've been listening to them since '95. And since that time, they've been my absolute favorite.
I'm getting so excited about their upcoming tour. Are you going to see them in the summertime as well?
Enjoy the show!

Kidd Ikarus
04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Yeah. Me, my brother, and a bunch of our friends have this tradition where we go to the show at Hershey Park, PA every year. They didn't do a show for 2007 (i think) but besides that we've gone every year that they've had a show there for the last 9 years.

That and we always get some random shows once and a while. The last couple of years we saw Dave and Tim at Farm Aid in NY.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
DMB is one of my top 3 bands. Loved them since the beginning. I play guitar and sing and many of the songs that I do are Dave's.
Crash
So Much to Say
What Would You Say
Two Step
Long Black Veil
Christmas Song
Jimi Thing
One Sweet World
Satellite
Many more...

I was sick to find out that Leroi Moore died. I've heard that DMB picked up the sax player from The Flecktones. That guy is amazing. He has got some great stuff on YouTube. If they keep this guy, saxaphone and other winds are going to be a much more pronounced section in their music.

Kidd Ikarus
04-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah, Leroi's death was a tough one. I still get a little choked up when I listen to him just wailing in some of the old songs.

But the new guy is good. Jeff Coffin I think his name is. I still miss Leroi, but this guy is just not human. Some of the sounds that come out of his sax are insane.

Heather19
04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
I was devastated when I heard of his passing. This might sound silly, but there was time that I couldn't really listen to any of their music for awhile because it just upset me too much. And honestly, I still get a little sad when I listen to certain songs when his solos come up, but I can also listen to them now and really appreciate them at the same time. It also makes me curious about their upcoming album. I'm assuming all the sax parts on it will be parts that LeRoi recorded before his passing, however I could be wrong.

I really do like Jeff, and I'm glad he's with the band now. I think the songs will sound a bit different as he gets more used to them and starts putting in his own things. I haven't seen him play live with the band yet, but will this summer. I was lucky last year that the show I went to was early in the tour so I at least got to see LeRoi play one last time.

Kidd, have you listened to Dreaming Tree from 6-21-08. The one on the Live Trax 2008 Sampler. Easily my favorite version of that song ever, it gets to me everytime I listen to it.

Kidd Ikarus
04-08-2009, 05:52 AM
It's not silly at all. I've felt the same way.

And yes, I believe I have. They really started playing that song well since they brought it back. But, if you could find Dreaming Tree from Farm Aid 09/09/2007 with just Dave and Tim playing it . . . Wow. That was how that song was meant to be played. It was the first time Dave and Tim had ever played the Dreaming Tree live together and it was just awesome!

Heather19
04-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree, I love that version. Probably second only to the one I listed above. You know, it's always been one of my favorite songs, but for some reason I always preferred the studio version over live versions until I heard the d&t one and the new ones from this past year. I don't mean this in a bad way because I don't hate Butch or anything, but I really love the '08 sound. Having Timmy back with the band and no keys has definitely changed the sound of the songs. Two Step, Rhyme & Reason, Proudest Monkey just to name a few were all phenomenal this past tour.

Kidd Ikarus
04-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I hear ya, but cry pardon to say it, it is worth it. Just to have Tim as a staple in the band is frikkin unbelievable. The guy is sick. And it just adds that much more to every single song they play. I love that guy.

what
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
wow... been a fan since 96... went to my first show in 2000 and have only missed 2 shows in atlanta since... the best by far was the bonarroo 2005 show... less than 3 weeks and i'll be sitting 19th row right of center in atlanta!

Heather19
04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm so jealous of you guys. I wish I was going to one of the spring shows. At least mine's only about 2 months away.
And yes Tim is amazing. I hope he sticks around for awhile.

Kidd Ikarus
04-08-2009, 06:11 PM
wow... been a fan since 96... went to my first show in 2000 and have only missed 2 shows in atlanta since... the best by far was the bonarroo 2005 show... less than 3 weeks and i'll be sitting 19th row right of center in atlanta!

Hell yeah! I was at that show. It was awesome. 'Specially with Robert Randolph guesting.

what
04-09-2009, 04:42 AM
No kidding... that was my first experiance with RR and I was blown away! Second best was Trey guesting at the following Atlanta show.

Kidd Ikarus
04-09-2009, 05:22 AM
My brother is actually pretty good friends with Robert Randolph. I had drinks with him a couple of times. He's a cool guy.

Heather19
04-10-2009, 04:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZXnkbVX4o

Heather19
04-14-2009, 02:03 PM
The new single dropped today :rock::rock::rock:

Kidd Ikarus
04-15-2009, 06:05 AM
5 and a half hours and I'm outta work and on my to show!!! I can't wait!:rock:

what
04-15-2009, 07:48 AM
I loved the new single! Have fun Kidd... i'll have my tickets in hand tomorrow! :nana:

Kidd Ikarus
04-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks man. My office manager is tryin to make my last couple of hours hell, but she ain't gonna bring me down today!

Heather19
04-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Nice, have fun!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I was at the 2005 bonarroo show too. I have talked about it in the bonarroo thread, so I wont say too much. But, wow, what an awesome show. I was right at the stage, until it got too hot, (probably because I had been drinking in the heat all day) and had too move out a little.

Kidd Ikarus
04-17-2009, 05:36 AM
Wednesday night was insane!! I had such a good time. Everytime I see them, they prove why they are my favorite band. Awesome show!

Kidd Ikarus
04-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Set List from Wednesday :

Dave Matthews Band
2009-04-15
IZOD Center, East Rutherford, NJ
Bartender *
Satellite *
Granny
Stay Or Leave *
Funny The Way It Is *
Burning Down The House *
You Might Die Trying *
Spaceman *
When The World Ends *
Crush *
Recently *
Corn Bread *
Why I Am *
Dancing Nancies *
Grey Street *
Two Step *
Encore:
The Maker *
All Along The Watchtower *

Heather19
04-17-2009, 01:36 PM
:thumbsup: That's a pretty good setlist.
Glad to hear you had a good time. I downloaded the show but haven't listened to it yet. What do you think of the other new songs they've debuted so far? And I completely agree, they know how to put on a good live show.
I can't wait for my show to come!! 43 Days to go!

Kidd Ikarus
04-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Didn't like 'Funny the way it is' when i first heard it, but it was a shitty download -- a lot of feedback. But liked it better the second time and loved it when i heard it live. 'Why I Am' is awesome and 'Spaceman' is good just not so much a 'live' song as a 'chilling out' song.

Heather19
04-18-2009, 07:10 PM
It'll be interesting to see how they develop throughout the tour. I think they've got potential. I'm really curious to see what the other songs on the album are like.
Stay or Leave from the other night was really good. I guess I haven't really listened to that many full band versions of that song, but I absolutely loved it, especially Jeff's part. I hope they continue to play it throughout the tour.

Also I just saw that they put the preorder info up and check this out:
- Super Deluxe edition in a special box which includes the 13 track CD + extra tracks, Scenes from Big Whiskey DVD, Photo book, and Lithographs featuring the artwork by Dave Matthews
Sounds pretty sweet to me. And to top it off they're also releasing it on vinyl.

Kidd Ikarus
04-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Stay or Leave was great!

My brother just ordered that super deluxe set. I'll probably just mooch that off of him though. He buys everything they release and I just download it and put it on my ipod. Cheap I know, but I get everything anyway . . . :rock:

Heather19
04-18-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm a sucker for that type of stuff. I just can't not get it.
And I'm really curious to know what the extra tracks are. I'm hoping for some B-sides or some other new stuff.

what
04-22-2009, 05:19 AM
WOW, hearing what you guys are saying I'm getting even more excited! 6 days till my show!:rock:

Heather19
04-22-2009, 01:37 PM
:thumbsup: I know, I'm super excited about my show as well.

You should download some of the shows from this tour they're really good. Listen to 4/18. It's one of the best live shows I've heard.

Kidd Ikarus
04-23-2009, 05:31 AM
Hope you guys have as much fun as I did. Where are you going to see them what?

what
04-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I'll definetly get that download heather and kidd i'll see them at verizon amphitheatre at encore park... alpharetta, ga night 1 of 2

turtlex
04-29-2009, 03:20 AM
NEW YORK (Billboard) – Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band and the Beastie Boys will headline the three-day Austin City Limits Music Festival in Texas on October 2-4.

Other acts scheduled to perform at the annual Zilker Park event include Kings of Leon, Ben Harper and Relentless7, Thievery Corporation, John Legend, Sonic Youth, Mos Def, the B-52s, Lily Allen, the Decemberists, and Coheed and Cambria.

Three days festival passes start at $185 (with no service fees) through aclfestival.com (http://aclfestival.com).

what
04-29-2009, 04:14 AM
The show last night was unbelievable... Jeff Coffin is doing an exceptional job filling the void left by LeRoi... throw in Roshon Ross and Tim Reynolds and you've got magic on stage... i can't do the show justice with words but this review from warehouse does a good job

On a rather warm but comfortable evening in the Northern Suburbs of Atlanta, Dave and the boys continued the spring tour in front of the packed house. And while Dave will be Dave, and Boyd, Tim, Fonzie and Rashon do their thing, tonight felt like it belonged to Jeff Coffin and Carter in many ways.

The show started with a bang.. PNP with curtains closed. Rapunzel begins and the curtains drop. Everyone seems to be wearing black or dark tones. There is a scruffiness about everyone tonight. Dave and Stephan have not crossed paths with a razor in days. Jeff and Rashon are very casual… and that’s ok! The sound is tight, the crowd seems into it and the acoustics are solid.

WAYG followed and I will just admit that I sat down and waited for this thing to end. You can have a great sound and add Timmy and Jeff to this, but really its like putting lipstick on a pig. Just not my fav song. Sorry.

Stay or Leave was also quite mellow, but a sweet song and it sounded pure and good. No complaints. Timmy is really strong here… He has been playing this one with dave for years so his inputs to this tune are like second nature.

Funny the way it is seemed like a pee break for many… so few know the words or tune… The song itself was excellent. Getting better and better with each show. Dave wearing his emotion on his sleeve. “Why I am” followed. Less interest from the crowd aside from a few die hards.. Lots of sitting lots of beet lines…. But again, the song itself sounds great.. rashon and dave have the syncopated “Why I am” down like they have been on it for years…Incidentally, Rashon’s singing is slowly becoming a solid input into the new sound they are moving to. Especially in a song like Burning down the House that followed WIA. The crowd woke up, the band woke up, and this sounded great.

#41 was next and it started like most other love versions…. The crowd singing along in tune.. Dave with perfect rhythm and intonation, this is the 41 we have attached ourselves to for many years… And then it REALLY got good… Dave finished the second verse.. Boyd did his thing and the baton moved over to Jeff. Carter called him out and called him over…. He accepted the invite and for the next 4-6 minutes went back and forth with Carter giving it his ALL. This was Jeff Coffin as good as we have ever seen/heard him, running circles around his #41 solo days when Bela and the Flecktones joined the boys. It seemed to run really long but time was no issue. This was a definite highlight…. IF you only listen to one song from this entire show… listen to #41 ☺~

Dave introduced Spaceman and off it went. Again, sounding better and better with each play… But the crowd went pretty much dead. I felt like I was on an island singing along… This is what happens when a sing is played under 10 times live with no CD or radio play…. Bu spaceman is the real deal. As others have said before , this sounds old school. The Lyrics are golden, the tune is catchy and the sounds was excellent. This song is will age beautifully.

Crash followed, my other sit and chill song. Enough said.

Davespeak- Dave tells a story of watching a lady chase after a beach ball all around the orchestra section. Hi mimmicks her movements in a sort of Elaine from Seinfeld manner and we laugh very hard. The ball ultimately makes its was to the front of the orchestra and is tossed to him while he tells the story.. It has all sorts of writing on it… but none can really be made out….. After making fun of the ladies dancing, he says he forget his glasses, so he cant read the ball, and kicks it back into the crowd☺

The second major highlights of the evening was Nancies/Warehouse. Carter was spectacular. Magical. This was where the crowd returned to al their singing glory after what seemed like a lengthy break. Tim, Jeff and Rashon, are all over these two songs like they are their own. But this is carters time and he was brilliant!

Ants followed and Jeff Coffin again was all over it with Ants intro solo’s He is so fvcking talented and he shined deep into the intro . Carter has decided to mess with the audience…. Most know that ants chorus before closing is counted off in 1, then 2 , then 3… well carter is now in total fake out mode… sometimes they goto 3.. then back t 1.. then 2…… but we have no idea what the method to the madness and simply must enjoy as guessing is useless! It seemed like a good time to end before the encore, but time was on our side and out came the 12 string and Grey Street. DMB at their best. great closer.

Starting the encore was sister. How can you not like this song.? Tears were flowing in the crowd, the sound was just right, dave played like a sibling was sitting next to him…and finally , Watch tower. Not a surprise at all, but they have this down. The solos in the middle are loud and raw coming from Timmy and Dave. Energy flowed and was a powerful forceful way to end the show.

Heather19
04-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Sounds like a good time. I'm getting excited to see Jeff play with the band, since I've never seen him perform live before. :rock:

So they have recently been teasing Blue Water. Can I ask you guys what you think realistically the future of the song could be. I'd love to see them come out and play a full version sometime, but I don't know if that's just wishful thinking.

Pam are you going to the festival?

turtlex
04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Oh, Heather, I wish. But, no.

It would be a dream come true... Both Pearl Jam and DMB?!? That would be awesome!

what
05-01-2009, 04:13 AM
It would be great to hear a full on Blue Water, and who knows... it has been a while since they even teased it... I'd love to hear a show where they did all the unreleased music... I guess it would be a three day spot though...

Heather19
05-01-2009, 02:01 PM
They've teased it at a few of the recent shows. I'd love for it to come back, but I have a feeling they might just tease it at a few shows and then it'll be gone like they did a few years ago. We'll see, I'm keeping my fingers crossed cause it's one of my favorite songs.

And a couple new songs debuted last night :rock:
I'm downloading the show now!

turtlex
05-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey DMBers... Pearl Jam is taping their set for broadcast on Austin City Limits... any word if DMB is going to as well?

Heather19
05-01-2009, 02:04 PM
hmmm, haven't heard anything. Let me go see if I can find some info. I would love it if that were true.

turtlex
05-01-2009, 02:09 PM
It was be great !

Heather19
05-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up Pam!

I just found this on the Warehouse, posted yesterday:
Dave Matthews Band to Perform on AUSTIN CITY LIMITS 35th Season Premiere
DMB will perform on the award-winning PBS show, Austin City Limits, on October 3rd as the first musical guest of the show’s 35th season. Other artists scheduled for the season include Pearl Jam, Elvis Costello, Ben Harper and Relelentless7, Kenny Chesney, a special joint performance by Willie Nelson and Asleep at the Wheel and many more. Visit austincitylimits.org to check out performance clips, extended interviews and photo galleries from spotlighted artists as well as archival footage of historical performances from the great stage of Austin City Limits.

And I also just saw that AT&T Music will be webcasting an hour of DMB's set from the New Orleans Jazz Fest tomorrow, Saturday, at 6pm CT
http://music.att.net/s/editorial.dll?bfromind=MU_Tones_JazzFestPlayer&eeid=6486233&_sitecat=1384&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=-2&event=1&xslid=23

turtlex
05-01-2009, 02:39 PM
:thumbsup:

< --- Loves Pearl Jam, but rocks to DMB as well !

Heather19
05-01-2009, 02:42 PM
:huglove:
Have you ever seen them live?

turtlex
05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
No, unfortunately.

I always wanted to see them in Boston. They seem to put on the most amazing shows there.

One day, maybe, but so far, I haven't been lucky enough.

Heather19
05-01-2009, 02:51 PM
I wish you were coming with me to my show this year. :couple:

I'd highly recommend checking them out at some point. Playing live is where they really shine. They do have a couple of concert dvd's out to hold you over till that time comes, or the webcast tomorrow ;)

Heather19
05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Just got my seat locations for the show, although for the life of me I can't figure out where exactly they're located :doh:
However I'm pretty sure they're across the field. I think Warehouse hates me.

Doesn't matter though, because I'm so excited for the show. It can't come quick enough :rock:

what
05-04-2009, 04:39 AM
Heather... where do you download the shows from? I'm using dreaming tree..

Heather19
05-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I use dreaming tree as well. Is there one that you couldn't find there?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Seen DMB 3 times, and Pearl Jam/Ben Harper/Willie Nelson once. I think this will be worth the ticket price. I have always wanted to go to an Austin City Limits anyway. This seems as good a time as any.

Wish I could go back in time and see the SRV Austin City Limits show.

what
05-05-2009, 04:22 AM
I use dreaming tree as well. Is there one that you couldn't find there?

nah just checking... i have used bt.etree.org in the past but you have to give the tapers 2 weeks before the show gets posted... atlanta(alpharetta) night 2 was amazing thanks for the heads up...

I would die to go to ACL Festival this year... specially since i'm missing Bonnaroo

Heather19
05-05-2009, 03:45 PM
dreaming tree has been super quick this year. Alot of the shows have gone up later that very same night. Did you check out that other show yet, if not I highly recommend getting ahold of it. What's the date of the atlanta one, I'm not sure if I downloaded that one or not.

Heather19
05-14-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm sure you guys have heard about this, but I thought I'd post it anyways for those that haven't.

from the warehouse:
DMB to Perform Benefit Concert at Beacon Theatre NYC on June 1st: Live Telecast on Fuse
We are excited to announce Fuse Presents…Dave Matthews Band: Live From The Beacon Theatre! Dave Matthews Band will be performing an invitation-only benefit concert at the Beacon Theatre in New York City on June 1, the eve of the worldwide release of Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King! The concert, presented by Madison Square Garden’s national music network Fuse and MSG Entertainment, will benefit Dave Matthews Band’s Bama Works Fund supporting charitable programs in the Charlottesville, VA area.

Fuse will celebrate the release of DMB’s eighth studio album with a telecast of the Beacon Theatre concert in high-definition and commercial-free followed by an entire week of programming dedicated to Dave Matthews Band! Fuse will air the four-part original documentary “Dave Matthews Band: The Road to Big Whiskey”, a 360-degree experience which began on April 14 as the band launched their Spring 2009 tour with a sold-out performance at Madison Square Garden. While in New York the band stopped by Radio City Music Hall for an interview with Fuse about the new album. The network then followed the band to Charlottesville, VA where they captured behind-the-scenes moments of the band’s hometown tour stop. The Road to Big Whiskey will also include footage from DMB’s electric performances during their explosive shows on May 8-9 in Las Vegas.

Heather19
05-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Time Bomb leaked today :excited::excited:
This song is amazing! Now I'm really excited for the new album!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fhHNRxTUc8

Heather19
05-26-2009, 01:23 PM
only a few more days till my show, I can't wait :excited::excited:

Kidd Ikarus
05-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Have fun Heather. I hope you get a good set.

Heather19
05-31-2009, 09:44 AM
I had so much fun at the show last night. :rock::rock::rock: They really know how to put on a good show, and never seem to disappoint. Played a lot of the new songs, but I guess that's to be expected since they are promoting the new album. Here's my quick review.

Started off with PNP - Rapunzel. What a great way to start off the show.
Next up was the debut of Alligator Pie. I was so excited for this one. It's one of my favorites off the new album so I was happy to see them play it. They did a wonderful job with it, and I'm sure this one will become a great live song by the end of the tour. Very, very solid for being the first time it was played. :thumbsup:
Don't Drink the Water - I hear this one at almost every show, but I still love it every time.
Seven - When it first started, I'll admit that I wasn't overly excited. The first time I heard it I wasn't a fan, but it's growing on me. And this one surprisingly sounded pretty good live. I think they're finally finding their way with it.
Next Willie came out and guested on Gravedigger.
So Damn Lucky - I love, love, love the outro to this song, amazing!
Dancing Nancies - I love this one as well. Boyd was going crazy by the end, and the audience was really getting into it.
#41 - Excellent version. Jeff is amazing on this song. Him and Carter were going at it for awhile. Tim even had a brief little solo at the end.
Rhyme & Reason - Another favorite of mine. A great song to hear live. I won't ever complain about it.
Squirm - I was super excited to hear this one. After Time Bomb it's my second favorite off the new album. And the band went crazy with it. I actually got the whole song on video, but for some reason it won't transfer over to my computer :( Any help?
Crush - Another great song. Can't really go wrong with this one.
Time Bomb - This song is going to be killer by the end of the tour. So, so good, especially the end. You have to hear Timmy on this song.
Two Step - What a way to close the show. Definitely the highlight of the night for me. Easily the best version I have ever heard. You guys must go download this one and give it a listen. Carter went into a long solo at the end that just blew everyone away. Is this something he's been doing recently? Because I haven't heard heard of him ever soloing on this one before.
And then the surprise of the night, when the band returned for the encore they started right up with Dirty Water. It was just insane. The crowd went nuts. It caught me off guard, I really was not expecting them to play this. But was very excited when they did. :rock:
And then they ended with Stay. Not bad. They were getting close to curfew so I think they rushed through the encore, but there was so much energy in the air from the past few songs that it was a good way to end the night.

All in all it was an amazing show. I've got tons of pics and some videos. Once I get them all uploaded I'll post them up.

turtlex
06-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Don't forget DMB fans... Tonight at 9pm, on FUSE !

Heather19
06-01-2009, 03:38 PM
You watching Pam?

And starting tomorrow and running till friday at 8pm they'll be airing a new documentary on the band. Broken down into 4 parts.

turtlex
06-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately, I'll have to catch it in repeats. :(

Wish I'd been to that show with you, Heather. Read your write-up there, and it looks like a great time was had !!!

Heather19
06-01-2009, 04:02 PM
It was a blast :D

And now for some pics. Sorry they're not the best, we were kinda far away so I could only zoom in so far.
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/DMB%20Fenway/IMG_0674b.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/DMB%20Fenway/IMG_0689b.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/DMB%20Fenway/IMG_0690b.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/DMB%20Fenway/IMG_0695b.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/DMB%20Fenway/IMG_0697c.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/DMB%20Fenway/IMG_0702b.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/DMB%20Fenway/IMG_0707b.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/DMB%20Fenway/IMG_0711b.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/DMB%20Fenway/IMG_0714b.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/DMB%20Fenway/IMG_0723b.jpg

turtlex
06-02-2009, 12:59 AM
OMG !!!

That is awesome, Heather !!!!!

DMB at FENWAY.

( I miss Boston! )

Heather19
06-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Finally got all my videos uploaded so here you go

Squirm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6sU6sEmF-M

End of Time Bomb (check out Timmy on this song :thumbsup:)
YouTube - DMB - Time Bomb, Fenway

Heather19
06-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Dirty Water (just missed the very beginning, I was too excited they were playing it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuLemlI_5mw&feature=channel

Allligator Pie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQQY4cFJZxk&feature=channel

turtlex
06-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Woowhooooo!!! Awesome, Heather!!

Dirty Water !! Yeah-baby !!!

Heather19
06-02-2009, 01:36 PM
:thumbsup: It was pretty sweet. I was not expecting it at all. And of course being Boston the crowd just went nuts.

turtlex
06-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Where it was Fenway, I was thinking maybe a chorus of "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" or ... again, it being Fenway ... "Sweet Caroline" !!!

Heather19
06-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Last time they did play Sweet Caroline, and I was kinda expecting that one again. But I guess they wanted to do something different this time.

turtlex
06-02-2009, 01:45 PM
<-- Jealous!!

Thanks for the vids and pics though! :thumbsup:

Heather19
06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Here's a clip if you're curious. That was another insane moment. I have never seen so much crowd participation at a concert ever. It was just crazy. I couldn't even hear Dave singing from where my seats were, all I heard was the audience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QaliHPq67A&feature=related

turtlex
06-02-2009, 01:55 PM
AWESOME !!!

Just like during a game !!!

Bum bum bum - so good so good so good !!

Thanks!! :couple:

Kidd Ikarus
06-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Those are great Heather. I'm really liking Alligator Pie. I think it may be my favorite off the new album. I'm obsessed with Beachball though. I really wish that had made the album and not just the bonus cd . . .

And I agree . . . By the time they get to the end of the tour, maybe throw a couple guests in there . . . Alligator Pie is going to be insane! I really want to see it done with Robert Randolph.

Heather19
06-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Alligator Pie is one of my favorites as well. Robert Randolph would be excellent on it. And I would even love to see Boyd take a long solo at the end a la Grace is Gone.

But my two favs on the album would be Time Bomb and Squirm. I just can't get enough of them. And you probably don't have to worry about Beachball. They've already played it live, so hopefully they'll bring it back out some more.

What did you think of the rest of the album? I think it's a pretty solid album. I was excited that we got a studio #27. I love that song. And I was actually very pleased with the box set. I was expecting something kinda cheesy and but this set is pretty sweet. And I love the artwork throughout the whole album. Haven't gotten to the dvd yet though. I'll have to check it out soon.

Kidd Ikarus
06-05-2009, 05:39 AM
I haven't seen the dvd either, but hopefully I will by the end of the weekend. I think the album is great. There are a couple songs I hit the skip button on, but I really like it as a whole. And there are a bunch of songs that show huge live performance promise once they start getting used to them. I can't wait for Hershey Park!!

turtlex
06-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Whoowhoo. :rock:

Looks like FUSE is repeating a bunch of DMB content starting tonight at 7pm.

Frunobulax
06-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Finally heard the new album (got it along with the rest of Mastodon's discog. and Chains of Olympus). Gotta say, much better than their last two. It sounds kind of half-baked in some places, but sounds great considering the strife.

Heather19
06-06-2009, 07:12 PM
I agree. It's so much better than Stand Up and Everyday. I think they really tried to put alot more of themselves back into this one, which I felt they were lacking in the past few.

Has anyone caught the documentary that's been airing on Fuse? I really enjoyed it. And I just watched the dvd that came with the album earlier. Pretty good, but it was only about 30 min. I was expecting something a bit longer.

Kidd, when's Hershey? Is it near the end of the tour?

Kidd Ikarus
06-08-2009, 05:26 AM
I think it's around July 21st. Somewhere around that time . . . I haven't checked in awhile. My brother usually does all the planning, so he'll let me know . . .

The Hershey Park shows are kinda like our brotherly tradition. We've gone every year for the last 8 or 9 years . . . Except for a couple of years ago, when they didn't play there. I was really pissed that year. :wtf:

Heather19
06-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Well, have fun whenever it is! Although I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be a problem :)
Strange that they skipped it one time, I thought they played Hershey every year.

Kidd Ikarus
06-09-2009, 06:23 AM
They usually do. I don't know what happened. There was some kind of rumor going around that Stefan said that he didn't like playing that venue and then when they posted the tour dates for the following year, Hershey was not on it. I don't know, but it only lasted a year which is good and they have been playing Hershey again. :excited:

Heather19
06-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Well, apparently this is the official music video for Funny the Way It Is.
Very, very strange. It kinda reminds me of the video for Eh Hee. I honestly wish they would work with Dean Karr again at some point. I loved the videos he did with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQFGHjjYLyo

turtlex
07-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Have you seen this contest?

Win A Guitar and Have Dave Sign It In Person (http://promo.livenation.com/sweepstakes/dmb/)

Kidd Ikarus
07-10-2009, 07:21 AM
Haha. Yeah I applied for that a couple of weeks ago.

All I have to say right now is . . . . . . F'n Hershey in less than 2 weeks!!!!! :onfire::onfire:

I'm so psyched!

turtlex
07-10-2009, 07:28 AM
We expect a full report, Kidd !!

Kidd Ikarus
07-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Don't worry I'll definitely give one. They usually always give a good show at Hershey. One year we got Warehouse, Song That Jane Likes, One Sweet World as the three opening songs. Frikkin awesome.

My brother and I have already started to put together our wish lists. Most are songs that we will never get in a million years . . . for example my the top 3 on my wish list right now are Fool To Think, So Right and Halloween (Haven't heard any of these live yet) and a bunch are just songs we would like to hear or haven't heard for a long time. We were talking about it the other night and we really want Warehouse but more than anything we both want to get #41. Neither of us have heard it live since the summer of 2003.

Heather19
07-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Have you seen this contest?

Win A Guitar and Have Dave Sign It In Person (http://promo.livenation.com/sweepstakes/dmb/)

Excellent :thumbsup:
I just entered.

And Kidd, I'm super jealous. I wish I was going to another show this year. You're going to have so much fun. And I don't know, you might actually get a Halloween. They've already played it a couple of times this summer, which is pretty unusual for them. That's the one that's at the top of my wish list, right along with Blue Water. And Ants Marching, which is my favorite song, but I've only ever seen it once full band back in 99, and then twice Dave & Tim in 03. Out of all the shows I've been to, I don't know how I keep missing it.

Kidd Ikarus
07-23-2009, 05:34 AM
3 and half more hours and I'm out of this aggravating job, on my way home to pack and then on my way to the chocalatey goodness that is Hershey, PA!!! :rock:

I am way too amped up for 9:30 in the morning! :excited:

turtlex
07-23-2009, 05:38 AM
Kidd - You lucky guy !! Have a great time and I look forward to you telling us all about it... Pictures would be nice... and video... :D

Kidd Ikarus
07-23-2009, 05:54 AM
Thank you. I'll try for pictures, hopefully my brother's girlfriend brings her camera in. I wish my g/f was coming, she usually gets great pics . . . i never bring my camera in to any concerts. I dance and move around too much and I would definitely break it for sure. But as soon as I get back on Monday I will give a break down first thing.

turtlex
07-23-2009, 05:55 AM
Safe travels and have a blast for us all ! :grouphug:

Heather19
07-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Have fun Kidd! I'm so excited for you! :rock:
Can't wait to hear how it was.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Man that autographed Taylor is gonna be friggin awesome when I win it!

Heather19
07-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Kidd, I just realized you got to see Jason Mraz as well :rock:
How was he? I'm going to see him next week, can't wait!!!

and you got Seek Up :wub:

Kidd Ikarus
07-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Awesome, awesome show! I had so much fun. I didn't stop dancing from the second they started playing til the second they stopped . . . And I thought that was pretty impressive for me being 30 and severely out of shape. Haha.

Jason Mraz was good, but he's just . . . boring. I'm sorry to say. He sounded great but I don't know, I think he needs a bigger better band to back him up and make it a little more interesting. I think had the setting been a smaller more intimate place, He would've been great.

Here's the list:

Shotgun (Tease) -- So excited then equally as pissed once I realized he was just teasing it . . .
Squirm -- Still a little pissed off at how messed up the Shotgun tease was, haha
Proudest Monkey -- Probably one of the best I've ever heard.
Satellite -- Always good to hear Satellite. Old School.
Shake Me Like A Monkey -- This song is so much fun to hear live. Definitely one of the highlights of the show.
Seven -- I have mixed feelings on this song, but it was still very good.
Seek Up -- Awesome. New jams, new horns segment.
Funny the Way It Is -- Awesome again. It's so good and it's been such a long time that there has been a single that is this good.
Why I Am -- Awesome again again. Love this song. I even shed a couple of tears for Leroi.
Crash Into Me -- Crash is always good and I needed a breather at this point, so that made it even better.
Jimi Thing -- Haven't heard this live in a couple years so it was good . . . and the 'Sexy Mutha Fucka, Shakin that Ass' was fun.
Alligator Pie -- I love this song. I'm so glad I got to hear it and it is going to be insane once they really start getting comfortable with it and start jammin out.
Everyday -- Everyday is always a fun live song. Great crowd participation.
Spaceman >>> -- Didn't like Spaceman when I first heard it, but it has really grown on me now. Really good.
Cornbread -- New intro jam into Cornbread. Lots of fun.
Louisiana Bayou -- New intro jam into Bayou. Had no idea what they were playing for about a minute or two. Didn't really want to hear this when I started to see it coming up on some setlists, but once it gets going, it's still a really good song.
#41 -- WOOHOO!! Got my #41!! It was like 22 minutes long of complete insanity. I can't believe Jeff Coffin is still alive after the sax solo he did during this song. Plus, with a whole new outro jam. Just awesome!
Dont Drink The Water -- Kinda bummed with this closer, but it was still good.

Encore:

You and Me -- Really like this song. Great first encore song. Really good.
All Along The Watchtower -- What can I say . . . Holy Shit! This was awesome and without a doubt the highlight of the show. Stefan started it with the Stairway to Heaven baseline. They went into Watchtower . . . then Tim did the Stairway guitar solo, horns and Dave did the complete verse from Stairway. I thought I was either going to lose my mind, have a heart attack or die of a stroke. I was going crazy! Whoever decided to mix Watchtower and Stairway into the same song is a genius. I've heard this throughout the tour, but now they've perfected it. Just insanely awesome.

Like I said it was a really great show and I had so much fun. I think I have to give the MVP award to Boyd Tinsley for the whole show. He was really on point all night and and didn't let up.

turtlex
07-27-2009, 08:23 AM
:rock: Oh, Kidd - that sounds like an awesome show !!!!!!! It had to have been 2.5 hours or so, right? Wow. So cool. :rock:

Kidd Ikarus
07-27-2009, 08:57 AM
I think about 3. They played til about 11:15 and took the stage about 8:15-8:20.

Sorry, I didn't bring my camera in, so I didn't get any show pics, but here's me and my brother, Hershey year 9. I'm the one with the 'Ka' shirt.

Only a couple days have passed and I can't friggin wait til next year. Now it's certain . . . I'm so going to Camden in September. The band may be playing the best they ever have right now.

turtlex
07-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Oh, I am so jealous!!

I won't get to any shows this year, so I have to live vicariously through you all.

I love the picture with your brother !!!

Kidd Ikarus
07-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Haha. Thank you.

I'm so sorry that you won't be able to make it to any shows. That sucks. They are really at the top of their game this year. I'll try to find out what website my brother downloads his shows from . . . I think it's free to do, and if I can get it to you, you should definitely check it out and d/l some stuff. Especially 'Watchtower' from Hershey. Just so damn good.

Kidd Ikarus
07-27-2009, 11:41 AM
My brother sent me some of the sites he goes to . . . dmbstream.com or liog.org for streamed shows . . . but to download the torrent he goes to dreamingtree.org. You need to install Bit Torrent to your pc though.

Most of the shows he gets come out sounding pretty good.

EDIT: To give people a taste of what I've been jivin' about so much, here is a youtube video of Watchtower from Hershey. Frikkin awesom.

YouTube - Watchtower

turtlex
07-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I always thought it would be cool if DMB did the fan club bootlegs like Pearl Jam does.

I mean, I wouldn't get them all ( like I do with PJ ) but I'd definitely grab a couple if they were available from DMB.

Heather19
07-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Kidd, that sounds like an amazing time. I'm so glad you had fun. I'm going to see if it's up for download yet, you've got my dying to check it out. And that's a great pic of you and your brother.

Did Jason play alone? I think he's going to have his band with him this weekend (at least I hope so). I downloaded some shows from his last tour, and they sounded amazing. He had this horn section and everything which really added to the songs. I'd recommend checking some of them out. I think you might like them.

Pam if you can do torrents, I'd highly recommend checking out the website Kidd posted. They've got everything up there. And the tapers are great. The sound quality is amazing. Plus they're free. That's one thing that I love about this band, is that they actually allow taping and trading of their shows. Pretty much every show (at least the recent ones) are readily available, and you can usually find them just a day or two after the show. And if you check online, they have their live trax series. They usually officially release a couple of live shows a year. If there's ever a specific show you're looking for let me know, I can probably find it for you. :)

Kidd Ikarus
07-28-2009, 06:00 AM
Thanks Heather. Jason did have a band with him, but for a stadium like that it just felt like he needed a little more. Maybe a drummer. He only had a guy playing the bongos.

And Pam, the Live Trax series is great. All remastered live shows. And I think they have to be up to volume 14 or 15 now. My brother gets every single one . . . and then I rip them into my iTunes. It's awesome.

Heather19
07-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I'll let you know how the show is on fri. Hopefully he's got a bunch of people playing with him. I can't wait. :rock:

And you should so hit up Camden if you can. They're actually playing there on my birthday!

The live trax series is great. Although my problem is that I want to buy everything they release, so it's not good on my wallet. I've got most of them, I think there's just 2 that I'm missing. And they have released some great shows in that series. The first one from Worcester 12-8-98, and then the New Years Eve one from 96 are two of my favorites.
Plus they also have that new DMBLive series which is only available for download online. They've put up some really old shows on there that I've been dying to get but I'm trying to hold off. Have you listened to any of them yet Kidd?

Kidd Ikarus
07-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Yes I've listened to a bunch, but I couldn't tell you the exact dates of the shows I've listened to. Everytime I go to my brothers house, we pretty much crack open some beers and he plays anything he finds on his computer. I really want to get the show from 8/26/1995 at PNC Bank Arts Center in Jersey. My first show.:P

We've been looking for it for awhile but have not come across it yet. I think my brother said he found part of it one time, but it was only available to stream, not to download.:(

Heather19
07-30-2009, 06:50 AM
I'll check and see if I've got it. I'll let you know.

Kidd Ikarus
07-31-2009, 06:52 AM
Thanks . . . And have fun tonite. I hope it's a good show.

Heather19
07-31-2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks, I'm so excited :rock:

I checked and unfortunately I don't have it. I looked around and found it on dreamingtree, but there's only 1 seeder. I'm trying to download it now but I'm having trouble connecting to them. I think it's something on my end, but I don't know how to fix it. I'll let you know if I'm able to get it.

Kidd Ikarus
07-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Thank you. Don't drive yourself crazy though. I know how that feels and wouldn't wish it on you. Haha.:rose:

Kidd Ikarus
08-12-2009, 07:23 AM
I did a couple of Fire Dancer designs . . . And I did a digital rendition of a poster that was done for a May 2005 show in New York City. (I was there . . . Awesome Show . . . I don't know how I missed buying this poster . . . :orely::arg::cry:)

Heather19
08-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Nice! I love the poster one. Too bad you weren't able to get the actual poster. Have you picked up any from the other concerts you've gone to. I've got a couple. My favorite is the one from the first Fenway show. Eventually I'd like to get the ones I've got nicely framed with the ticket stub.

Kidd Ikarus
08-13-2009, 05:58 AM
Thanks. That's how I have most of mine (with the stub and sometimes i'll print out the set list and throw that in there too)

Umm . . . Let's see. I have 2 from Hershey, 1 from when it was still the Continental Airlines Arena in Jersey (It's the Izod Center now), The one from Central Park, and one from San Diego that one of my friends got me for my birthday (I wasn't there). I think I have one more, but there packed up somewhere right now.

But it's pretty cool, I have a wall for everything pretty much. And my g/f got me an autographed copy of a Rolling Stone issue with Dave on the front (nicely framed) and An electric guitar guard signed by everyone in the band, Dave, Carter, Boyd, Stefan and oh so thankfully, Leroi (also very nicely framed, haha). Those last two are like my prized possessions.:rock:

Heather19
08-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Nice! Do you have pictures, I'd love to see them.

Kidd Ikarus
08-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Sorry, no. I've been fixing up my place so that I can try to sell it . . . So everything is kinda packed up. I have boxes and framed pictures here and there . . . I don't even know where half of my stuff is most of the time. (My DMB stuff is at my girlfriend's parents house . . . I know where that is at least:thumbsup:) But if I get my hands on any of it in the near future, I will take some pictures and post them in here.

Heather19
08-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Yes, please do. Thanks!

Kidd Ikarus
08-13-2009, 01:04 PM
I will, I'll try. Sometime soon, I'm gonna have to move everything to my brother's place, so when I do that, I'll take a bunch of pics.

Heather19
10-05-2009, 04:47 PM
The first episode of the new season of Austin City Limits, which just so happens to feature DMB, is up on their website for those that missed it.
http://video.pbs.org/video/1279945894/program/1273976454#
Also Hulu should be putting up highlights from the festival from this past weekend sometime soon.

Did anyone catch the webcast of Farm Aid yesterday? I didn't even realize it was yesterday until about an hour after Dave & Tim's set ended. :( Hopefully someone will toss it up online sometime soon.

And just a little side note, but it's kinda funny how Dave has added in the speaking lines from the NOLA vendor at the end of Squirm when he performs it live.

Heather19
11-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Did anyone catch them on SNL last night?
I thought this skit was pretty funny :lol:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clips/the-mellow-show/1178424/

Kidd Ikarus
07-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Just got home today from a 2 night stand in Camden, NJ and it was friggin awesome. We had pit tickets both nights and if anyone has a chance to see the set from night two, it was like a die-hard fans 'greatest hits cd'. I could of done without gravedigger, but man, was it incredible. And I finally got 'So Right' live!!!!!!

Heather19
07-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Glad you had a good time. I'm off to download it now :)
And did they really tease Good Good Time? Right after Hello Again, that's probably the next song I was hoping they would bring back (well out of the songs I could realistically see them bring back :lol:)

Are you going to catch any other shows this summer? And what do you think about next year? Do you think we might get to see a solo tour? I just can't picture Dave not doing anything.

Brice
07-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Just got home today from a 2 night stand in Camden, NJ and it was friggin awesome. We had pit tickets both nights and if anyone has a chance to see the set from night two, it was like a die-hard fans 'greatest hits cd'. I could of done without gravedigger, but man, was it incredible. And I finally got 'So Right' live!!!!!!

:nope: When I hear the word pit in reference to concerts I think of slamdancing/moshing. Though I really like Dave Matthews I find the idea of slamming to his music VERY disturbing. :lol:

Glad you had a good time. :)

turtlex
07-04-2010, 07:10 AM

Hey Kid - Welcome back!! Sounds like you had a great couple of shows.

Heather19
06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
DMB just announced their new album Away From the World will be released Sept. 11! And I'm extra excited that Steve Lillywhite is back producing with the band. Can't wait to hear it!