PDA

View Full Version : The Best Graphic Novel of All Time – NOMINATIONS NOW CLOSED !!

turtlex
03-27-2009, 04:11 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/622/thumbs/Daredevil.jpg http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/622/thumbs/watchmen.jpg http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/622/thumbs/VforVendetta.jpg http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/622/thumbs/Sandman2.jpg http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/622/thumbs/maus.JPG http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/622/thumbs/KingdomCome.JPG http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/622/thumbs/JudgeDreddAmerica.jpg http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/622/thumbs/FromHell.jpg http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/622/thumbs/DarkPhoenix.jpg http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/622/thumbs/darkknightreturns.JPG http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/622/thumbs/Alias.jpg

The time has finally come, Comic Tower Junkies!!

Please use this thread to make your nominations for
the Best Graphic Novel of All Time!!!

Each person can nominate two ( 2 ) different Graphic Novels as the Best.

We expect to keep this thread open for nominations for approximately two weeks, or 100 total nominations, which ever comes first.

Once we have a list of all the GNs nominated - we’ll put all the nominees into groups and polls and then the voting will begin. We’ll use a random picker for which GNs go against which.

Please recall - We’ve decided on the following criteria to define exactly what we feel a Graphic Novel is:

Graphic Novels must tell a full story or story arc.
Graphic Novels are not multiple, separate stories ( that's a compilation ).
Graphic Novels are not just collections of a title ( such as the Marvel Masterpiece books ).

We’ll track the nominations and who made them, so you can refer to the list as we go. If you change your mind, that's okay, just post again and we'll update the list.

We look forward to your participation!

FYI : Sam and I will be working on this project together!

Sam
03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
This Is The Official Nominations List folks and will list each nomination as it is recognised by turtlex and myself. If there are any questions regarding whether your nomination qualifies, please feel free to pm either turtlex or myself. Once we have had the nominations open for two weeks (thats April 10th) OR we receive 100 nominations, we will sort the nominated books and prepare for the carnage, um, voting to begin.

Now, let's BRING ON THE NOMINATIONS!!!

1. The Crow by James O'Barr - nominated by SiqTauGimp
2. Maus by Art Spiegelman - nominated by pookie
3. Ultimate Spiderman: Death Of A Goblin by Brian Michael Bendis - nominated by flaggwalkstheline
4. Johnny The Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez - nominated by flaggwalkstheline
5. Judge Dredd: America by John Wagner - nominated by DoctorDodge
6. Brodie's Law: Project Jameson by Daley Osiyemi - nominated by DoctorDodge
7. Sam & Max Surfing The Highway by Steve Purcell - nominated by LadyHitchhiker
8. The Maxx, Volume 6 by Sam Kieth - nominated by LadyHitchhiker
9. From Hell by Alan Moore - nominated by Brice
10. Preacher: Alamo by Garth Ennis - nominated by Arthur Heath
11. V for Vendetta by Alan Moore - nominated by Arthur Heath
12. Tale of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot - nominated by oy-the-brave
13. Blankets by Craig Thompson - nominated by oy-the-brave
14. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth by Grant Morrision - nominated by Seymour Glass
15. Invisibles: The Invisible Kingdom by Grant Morrison - nominated by Seymore Glass
16. Megatokyo Volume 3 by Fred Gallagher - nominated by razz
17. X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga by Chris Claremont - nominated by turtlex
18. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller - nominated by Matt
19. Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore - nominated by Matt
20. The Sandman: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman - nominated by Aaron
21. Fables: March of the Wooden Soldiers by Bill Willingham - nominated by Aaron
22. Bone by Jeff Smith - nominated by SiqTauGimp
23. Watchmen by Alan Moore - nominated by Kidd Ikarus
24. X-Men: X-Cutioner's Song by Scott Lobdell, Fabian Nicieza, and Peter David - nominated by Kidd Ikarus
25. Kingdom Come by Mark Waid - nominated by Sam
26. Tank Girl by Alan Martin - nominated by soylentjillian
27. Transmetropolitan: Back on the Street by Warren Ellis - nominated by soylentjillian
28. The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home by Robin Furth and Peter David - nominated by The Lady of Shadows
29. The Dark Tower: Treachery by Robin Furth and Peter David - nominated by The Lady of Shadows
30. X-Men: X-tinction Agenda by Chris Claremont - nominated by turtlex
31. The Invisibles : Say You Want A Revolution by Grant Morrison - nominated by feverishparade
32. X-Men : The Messiah Complex by Ed Brubaker, Mike Carey, Peter David, Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost - nominated by feverishparade
33. Locke and Key: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill - nominated by Heather19
34. Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson - nominated by The Cosmic Geek
35. Fables: Homelands by Bill Willingham - nominated by The Cosmic Geek
36. Love and Rockets: Maggie the Mechanic by Gilbert Hernandez and Jaime Hernandez - nominated by sarajean
37. 300 by Frank Miller - nominated by sarajean
38. Alias by Brian Michael Bendis - nominated by Sam
39. A History of Violence by John Wagner - nominated by Mad Man
40. Frank Miller's Robocop by Frank Miller and Juan Jose Ryp - nominated by Mad Man
41. Hewligan's Haircut by Jamie Hewlett - nominated by Darkthoughts
42. The Sandman: World's End by Neil Gaiman - nominated by Darkthoughts
43. Batman: Dark Victory by Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale - nominated by Ari Racing
44. Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale - nominated by Ari Racing

Update : !! Graphic Novel Give-Away !!

As our way of saying thanks to everyone who makes a nomination for the Best Graphic Novel of All Time, we'll be giving away two graphic novels to one of you.

Everyone who makes a nomination will be eligible ( 1 entry per person ) and automatically entered in this give-away.

That's all you have to do to win - just nominate one or two of your favorite graphic novels as one of the Best.

Once we have our finalized list of nominations -

We will draw a name at random from those who have nominated a GN ...
... and then draw a name of one of the nominated GNs.

The winning name drawn will get the random graphic novel as well as the grahic novel which ultimately wins this poll !

So... just for being part of our community and participating in this process - you have a chance to win TWO GREAT Graphic Novels!

So make your nominations and get in on the fun and prizes!

Aaron, Matt, Sam and turtlex will not be eligible for this give-away.

SigTauGimp
03-28-2009, 02:58 AM
I'll throw in "The Crow", and "Bones", if they're eligible and not already nominated. Cool?

turtlex
03-28-2009, 04:14 AM
Sig - By The Crow, I assume you mean the first GN? There have been quite a few, so we'll assume the original and best well known, unless you let us know otherwise. ( an excellent choice, btw )

I couldn't find anything called "Bones" unless you mean Jeff Smith's Bone? In which case, let us know which one, again there are a bunch.

pookie
03-28-2009, 07:32 AM
I'd like to nominate Maus by Art Spiegelman. Such unique symbolism and style yet so moving. I wanted to touch the pages to somehow put myself into them to live and feel, to share, what the characters were going through.

turtlex
03-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Maus is one of my favorites, too!

flaggwalkstheline
03-28-2009, 07:55 AM
I would Like To Nominate
Ultimate Spiderman volume 19: Death Of a Goblin

Its the final story arc involving the osbornes in the ultimate universe and its absolutely incredible, right through the final bloodsoaked pages, It is Ultimate spidermans' apex (though I have faith bendis will top it)

Norman Osborne breaks out of jail and goes on national television to proclaim the violation of his human rights by nick fury, havok ensues

When Norman Beats his son Harry to death and then tells Carol Danvers to kill him because he's realized what kind of monster he has become inside now as well as outside and she blows his brains out, spiderman is left holding his friends mangled corpse as the only person on the bridge who isnt a cold blooded murderer
its the most intense thing I've ever read in a comic book (and yes I have read the staples like watchmen and the dark knight returns)

turtlex
03-28-2009, 07:59 AM
You got it, flagg... a Bendis title. No surprise there - he's an amazing writer.

Don't forget people - you can nominate TWO !!!

flaggwalkstheline
03-28-2009, 08:05 AM
2!!!!:drool:

alright my second nomination is
Johnny The Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen vasquez
Sick, evil, sad and funny its got everything, its like a mixture of the Saw films and Hate (which I almost nominated somebody quick nominate buddy does seattle!)

turtlex
03-28-2009, 08:06 AM
You got it !!!

... oh, the first or the Director's Cut?

I put the original, but let me know if you want to change it.

Sam
03-28-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm happy to see people nominating, but I'm sad that we are already almost a day into the nominations and just have a few yet. What do ou want from us folks, blood? Come on, nominate your TWO, yes TWO, favorite Graphic Novels. Who knows, your nomination may be the very one that wins. But you'll never know if you don't nominate. Like Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, we need your help.

Who's the best? Only YOU can tell us.

LadyHitchhiker
03-28-2009, 02:39 PM
I nominate Sam and Max if that will count, which I think it should, but it may not based on your qualifications.

turtlex
03-28-2009, 02:50 PM
LH - The only Sam & Max I can find is called Sam & Max Surfin the Highway and according to the description is actually a comic collection, not a graphic novel.

Does it tell an actual story, or story arc? Do you have a different title? Or rather, a specific one? Do you recall the name of the one that you specifically have? I could be completely off base with what I am finding.

Please double check and post. :couple:

DoctorDodge
03-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Well, since i get to have two choices up, i nominate Judge Dredd: America by John Wagner, obviously, and thankee sai very much to both turtlex and sam for making it clear that it can be nominated, and, erm...

Brodie's Law: Project Jameson by Daley Osiyemi. Another obscure British title, but absolutely brilliant: dark, messed up psychologically wise, and GREAT moody art with a GREAT moody story. Pure awesomeness!

Although i'd be very pleased if LadyHitchhiker's nomination of Sam & Max makes the list!

turtlex
03-28-2009, 03:04 PM
You got it DoctorDodge...

... and I'm hoping for Sam & Max, too. Just waiting on LH to get back to me with some detail.

LadyHitchhiker
03-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Sam & Max Surfing the Highway is recognized as a "comic collection" but almost all of those individual comics have been turned into tv episodes, and as the stories go on, they do have a minor story arc and almost all of the stories are connected in some way, but not probably as prominent as some other stories previously nominated. So like I said, I don't know if they'll count under these circumstances, but I thought it would be worth the shot ;)

I have the grapic novel almost memorized, so that's why I thought I would love to include them in our contest. I don't think they were ever published as "comics" in a newspaper - not to my knowledge, but maybe I overlooked that - so as far as I know they went straight to graphic novel, but it has been a long time.

If I can't have my Sam & Max though, I would like to nominate The MAXX. Now that is a yummy graphic novel as well. Not nearly as funny as Sam & Max, but excellent.
That one for sure would follow your criteria.

Reading back on the technicalities, Sam & Max probably WON'T work in THIS contest because they are multiple stories though :(

turtlex
03-28-2009, 03:14 PM
If there's a story arc there, then it's in !

I'll add it to the list !

LadyHitchhiker
03-28-2009, 03:18 PM
W00t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankye sai much big big!!!!!!

turtlex
03-28-2009, 03:21 PM
LH - You get to nominate 2 graphic novels, so if you want to also nominate The MAXX - then find one of the GNs and list it please. There are multiple different MAXX graphic novels !

LadyHitchhiker
03-28-2009, 03:23 PM
*faints from excitement*

Wow! I missed that!!!! I get to nominate 2????

I would have to go with "The Maxx 6" then because it really wows the brain.

turtlex
03-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Just added, LH.

Yes, everyone, you get to nominate 2 graphic novels as the best !!

LadyHitchhiker
03-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the boldness for future ADD readers!!!!!!!!! :huglove:

Brice
03-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I'll nominate From Hell. I was going to nominate The Crow, but SigTauGimp beat me to it. :D

turtlex
03-28-2009, 04:11 PM
You got it, man!

If you think of a second one to nominate, just post it!

Arthur Heath
03-28-2009, 04:49 PM
My nomination(s)
Preacher - Vol. 9 - Alamo
V for Vendetta
So hard to just pick two. I have two catagories when it comes to GN's. Litterary and just damn sweet. I tried to pick one of each.

oy-the-brave
03-28-2009, 04:50 PM
I would like to nominate Tale of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot and I know someone mentioned Blankets by Craig Thompson but since it is not on the list yet I would nominate it as well.

Arthur Heath
03-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Blankets was interesting. I wouldnt say it was one of my favorites, though I do own it. At one point I got a feeling that the author was from my home town as one of the characters was wearing a Columbia Sportswear jacket. I flipped to the back and sure enough.

Seymour_Glass
03-28-2009, 05:50 PM
I was going to nominate Blankets. Thank you, oy, for freeing up one of my precious spots.

The last volume of the Invisibles (The Invisible Kingdom)... and...

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth.
Because DC hasn't published a paperback of Flex Mentallo, I'm assuming it's out. If it's in, take off Arkham, so I can be the guy who voted for Flex. But I doubt it will be. I feel like I'm rambling. I am. I should just shut up.

razz
03-28-2009, 05:57 PM
I nominate
Hellsing
and Megatokyo (which is actually a webcomic that gets periodically compiled to a graphic novel)

turtlex
03-28-2009, 08:01 PM
My nomination(s)
Preacher - Vol. 9 - Alamo
V for Vendetta
So hard to just pick two. I have two catagories when it comes to GN's. Litterary and just damn sweet. I tried to pick one of each.

Done!! Nice picks.

I was going to nominate Blankets. Thank you, oy, for freeing up one of my precious spots.

I got the Arkham, but cannot find The Invisible Kingdom... but do see The Invisables. A couple of different ones. Can you find the exact title and post it please?

I nominate
Hellsing
and Megatokyo (which is actually a webcomic that gets periodically compiled to a graphic novel)

razz - I found multiple volumes on both of those titles. Can you please find the exact title of each and post it please?

Sam
03-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Tell me more about MegaTokyo razz. From what I know of it and from your post, these are just collections? I'll be looking into it while you tell me about it.

razz
03-28-2009, 08:07 PM
razz - I found multiple volumes on both of those titles. Can you please find the exact title of each and post it please?
oh, sorry, i misread, i thought we were nominating the series in General. So we're nominating individual volumes then?
In that case I nominate Megatokyo Volume 3 and temporarily withdraw my Hellsing nomination.

Tell me more about MegaTokyo razz. From what I know of it and from your post, these are just collections? I'll be looking into it while you tell me about it.
It's not a collection, it's a webcomic by Fred Gallagher. the series follows a storyline, where each individual comic is a continuation of the last. Each volume of it contains a few chapters of the series.
Megatokyo site (http://megatokyo.com/)

turtlex
03-28-2009, 08:09 PM
oh, sorry, i misread, i thought we were nominating the series in General. So we're nominating individual volumes then?
In that case I nominate Megatokyo Volume 3 and temporarily withdraw my Hellsing nomination

razz - Sam had a question about Megatokyo... is it just a collection, or a story arc/story?

We're definitely nominating individual graphic novels.

We'll hold off before we put any up for you. Let us know about Megatokyo.

razz
03-28-2009, 08:17 PM
just did

turtlex
03-28-2009, 08:19 PM
No, bud, is it a collection? Or actual story arcs?

razz
03-28-2009, 08:20 PM
No, bud, is it a collection? Or actual story arcs?
yeah, it's an arc. At least I'm pretty sure it is

turtlex
03-28-2009, 08:23 PM
You got it!

ETA : and don't forget razz, you have one more! Everyone gets 2.

Sam
03-28-2009, 09:02 PM

Seymore, after taking a look at Invisibles: The Invisible Kingdom, it's in dude. Thanks for the nomination.

SigTauGimp
03-29-2009, 12:33 PM
You got the right Crow one, turtlex.
Don't worry about my second nomination I put up...I was in a slightly(read:highly) altered state of consciousness when I posted, and even I have no idea what I was talking about. :D

I'll come back with my second nomination soon.

turtlex
03-29-2009, 02:18 PM
You got the right Crow one, turtlex.
Don't worry about my second nomination I put up...I was in a slightly(read:highly) altered state of consciousness when I posted, and even I have no idea what I was talking about. :D

I'll come back with my second nomination soon.

:lol:

No problem. Just post when you're ready.

LadyHitchhiker
03-30-2009, 07:26 AM
I totally second Johnny the homicidal maniac!!!

Sam
03-30-2009, 07:40 AM
I've never read it. I may have to look that up sometime.

Let's give with the nominations people. I love learning about works in the comic world that I didn't know about before.

turtlex
03-30-2009, 07:49 AM
Sam - I am going to go ahead and nominate The Dark Phoenix Saga by Chris Claremont.

I am withholding my second nomination until I can think on it more!

Sam
03-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Coolness. Excellent story btw.

LadyHitchhiker
03-30-2009, 08:19 AM
I wonder if anyone's going to nominate any of the gunslinger graphic novels... I completely forgot about those because I was so excited to nominate my Sam & Max!!! LOL

Sam
03-30-2009, 08:33 AM
That is the million dollar question ain't it. You can change your nomination if you like Liz (either one of them). I won't hold it against you. Me against you, yes; changing your nomination against you, no.:P

Matt
03-30-2009, 09:20 AM
It's not going to be me. :lol:

My 2 nominations are for...The Dark Knight Returns and The Killing Joke.

I'd like to see some Conan in here but I know it will die a hideous death.

Sam
03-30-2009, 11:02 AM
I gotcha Matt. Your nominations have been added to the list, though I'm surprised you didn't nominate Batman: Year One.

turtlex
03-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Depending on other noms, I might go with Gunslinger Born... maybe!

turtlex
03-31-2009, 02:44 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that we're going to be doing a Give-Away relating to this thread!!!

Everyone who makes a nomination will be entered.

So get your nominations in!

Details coming soon !!!

Aaron
03-31-2009, 12:00 PM
The Sandman: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman

and

Fables Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers by Bill Willingham.

turtlex
03-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Aaron - You're all set!

And just bumpin this notice over to this page.

Just wanted to let everyone know that we're going to be doing a Give-Away relating to this thread!!!

Everyone who makes a nomination will be entered.

So get your nominations in!

Details coming soon !!!

turtlex
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
!! Graphic Novel Give-Away !!

As our way of saying thanks to everyone who makes a nomination for the Best Graphic Novel of All Time, we'll be giving away two graphic novels to one of you.

Everyone who makes a nomination will be eligible ( 1 entry per person ) and automatically entered in this give-away.

That's all you have to do to win - just nominate one or two of your favorite graphic novels as one of the Best.

The winning name drawn will get the random graphic novel as well as the grahic novel which ultimately wins this poll !

So... just for being part of our community and participating in this process - you have a chance to win TWO GREAT Graphic Novels!

Aaron, Sam and I will not be eligible for this give-away.

Aaron
03-31-2009, 03:13 PM
I will also not be eligible, much as it pains me to fucking type it. :D

flaggwalkstheline
03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
!! Graphic Novel Give-Away !!

Sam and I will not be eligible for this give-away.

sweeeet:drool:

turtlex
03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
:lol: Oh, bummer, Aaron... price of fame, I guess. You, Sam and I will have to re-read the GNs we have. Old dusty things! I'll update the post. :couple:

SigTauGimp
03-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Very neat idea, everyone.

I likes it. :D

Sam
03-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Got any ideas as to your second nomination Sig?

SigTauGimp
03-31-2009, 05:41 PM
PM'ed to you just a minute ago. :P

I read my inbox before I got here.

Kidd Ikarus
04-01-2009, 06:38 AM
I don't know if it's allowed to nominate something if it already has been but . . .

Definitely, The Watchmen. One of the best books I've ever read, graphic or not and . . .

X-Cutioner's Song featuring X-Men, X-Force and X-Factor

Honorable Mention (This is not a nomination, I know we only get two, just wanted to give this credit) : Berserk. There's over 30 volumes (i think) and I wouldn't even know where to begin, but it's a great story.

Sam
04-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Welcome to the fold Kidd Ikarus. What we have going here is each member is allowed two nominations, and we don't need seconds for the nomination to count.

Your nomination for Watchmen is in, and so is X-Cutioner's Song. Thank you for your nominations.

LadyHitchhiker
04-01-2009, 07:35 AM
I have to stick with my nominations... but if the stand had been graphic novelled yet, it would have to replace the Maxx.... The Stand is AWESOME.

turtlex
04-01-2009, 03:13 PM
LH - Captain Trips is out in GN form as of a few weeks ago. Do you want to nominate that?

Kidd Ikarus - Great call in X-cutioners Song! Welcome to the site.

Kidd Ikarus
04-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Haha. Thank you. (edit: sorry called you 'man' then I saw your gender by your avatar) I really liked that book growing up.

flaggwalkstheline
04-02-2009, 10:10 AM
QUICK somebody nominate one of peter Bagge's Hate comics!!!
the guilt over not nominating buddy bradley is eating me alive!!!!
(dont want to change my nominations though but Hate should be up there)

turtlex
04-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Haha. Thank you. (edit: sorry called you 'man' then I saw your gender by your avatar) I really liked that book growing up.

No worries. I loved X-Cutioner's Song... I also loved, absolutely, eXtinction Agenda.

QUICK somebody nominate one of peter Bagge's Hate comics!!!
the guilt over not nominating buddy bradley is eating me alive!!!!
(dont want to change my nominations though but Hate should be up there)

I love this, Flagg is campaigning !!

turtlex
04-05-2009, 03:00 AM
* bumpage *

Get your nominations in... we're giving away graphic novels to the people who make nominations!!

Sam
04-05-2009, 09:23 AM
We've got just one more week people. Just ONE MORE WEEK. If you want to nominate a Graphic Novel, now's the time to do it.

Remember that we will be giving GNs to a randomly selected member, but you have to nominate a book to be in the drawing.

Giving Graphic Novels??

YES! IT'S A GRAPHIC NOVEL GIVE-AWAY!!!

Sam
04-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Speaking of nominations, my first nomination has to be a book that turned the DC world around and showed that DC comics really can turn out beautiful artwork and well scripted, non-confusing storylines. This is one of the best stories I have read, and represents the best usage of one of my all-time favorite DC characters, Captain Marvel.

I nominate Kingdom Come.

Seymour_Glass
04-05-2009, 10:38 AM
I love the huge greenness of it. It was like "I am..... THE MONITOR!!!"

soylentjillian
04-06-2009, 05:53 PM
TANK GIRL
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestselling-comics-2007/913-1.jpg
I guess the first volume? It's a continuing story that was issued in several small comics and then brought together in volumes.... I would nominate the whole series.

TRANSMETROPOLITAN
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/transmetropolitan/14-1.jpg
ALL OF THEM

DoctorDodge
04-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm actually reading brand new Tank Girl in my Judge Dredd Megazine. It's very...what's the expression? Fucked up, i'd say. Fits very nicely with the rest of the megazine then, haha! Kinda reminds me of Sam and Max, but just that little bit cruder. Definitly need to check out the earlier strips!

Transmetropolitan is another comic i need to check out. Maybe i shouldn't judge something from it's cover, but Transmetropolitan looks VERY fucked up from that cover i'm seeing. And considering i like - no, LOVE - comics that make me go, "WTF?!?", i'd say that's a good thing.

So: you like Tank Girl, Red Dwarf and, judging from your avatar, Labyrinth. Gotta say that i'm loving your taste, SJ! :D

SigTauGimp
04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Tank Girl = :wub:

Seymour_Glass
04-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Why had no one nominated Transmet before?

The Lady of Shadows
04-07-2009, 06:08 PM
so forgive me if i screw this up. i am new to all this graphic novel stuff.

i nominate:

the long road home

treachery

i think i'm allowed to do that right?
they are both dark tower graphic novels that are released in more than one, ummmm, issue (?) but all one arc.
did i do it right?

Sam
04-07-2009, 09:49 PM
You're on the money honey. Your nominations have been added.

turtlex
04-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Weeeellllllll... Technically, Treachery isn't released yet, but will be shortly, so that's cool.

Sam - I think I will make my second nomination : X-Men: X-tinction Agenda by Chris Claremont.

Sam
04-08-2009, 08:20 AM
I actually thought Treachery was just released, but I saw that it's not out yet. But, it will be this month, and the story is already available. So, no biggie.

I gotcha for your final nom.

Sam
04-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Hurry up and get your nominations in people. The nomination thread will be closing soon, and that means you won't be able to make a nomination OR enter our contest without a very stern note from your mother. We need YOUR help. Nominate your favorite Graphic Novel and be entered for a chance to win TWO of the nominated entries.

That's right, the winner will get TWO of the graphic novels listed on page one of this thread. One will be the winner of the voting and the Comic Tower's choice for the Best Graphic Novel of All Time. The second will be one of the remaining titles chosen at random through a complicated system (my fedora and some slips of paper?). But you can't win if you aren't in.

Hurry and get entered.

Sam
04-08-2009, 11:59 AM
I just looked at the list and realized that no one has nominated the infamous X-men: Mutant Massacre. With the far reaching consequences of that storyline, I am really surprised.

turtlex
04-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Honestly, I expected more X-Men titles.

Matt
04-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I should probably not be eligible for a prize either you guys. Just seems like a conflict of interest.

However, this is an amazing contest. Good job!

turtlex
04-08-2009, 02:22 PM
I should probably not be eligible for a prize either you guys. Just seems like a conflict of interest.

However, this is an amazing contest. Good job!

Your call, Matt. I will put you on the list of exceptions. Thanks for nominating, regardless!

flaggwalkstheline
04-08-2009, 02:34 PM
I just looked at the list and realized that no one has nominated the infamous X-men: Mutant Massacre. With the far reaching consequences of that storyline, I am really surprised.

I couldnt nominate my favorite xmen story The Age Of Apocalypse because as a whole its divided into 4 gigantic tomes

if there were a contest for single greatest comicstory told then that would win

turtlex
04-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Good point about X-Men:AoA. That's an excellent story, for sure.

If anyone wants some recommendations, I just put up a thread based on independent Graphic Novels recommended by Wizard Magazine.

Linkage : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7825

fernandito
04-08-2009, 02:46 PM
TDKR is my race-horse. :)

turtlex
04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
TDKR is my race-horse. :)

feev - Did you nominate that someplace in this thread? I don't see it in the nom list?
I will go put it now. Please double check the first page... you get two !!

Batman:The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, yes?

fernandito
04-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Whaaaaaaaat?!?! No one's nominated it yet?!

If that's the case ,then yes : I'm definitely nominating The Dark Knight Returns. :)

Heather19
04-08-2009, 04:43 PM

If that's the case ,then yes : I'm definitely nominating The Dark Knight Returns. :)

What!!! No Sandman nomination from you. I'm shocked Feev.

Well I haven't read very many graphic novels yet, and I doubt this one will do well in the running, but I'd like to nominate Locke & Key. I just loved it, and it actually made me give other graphic novels a shot.

Seymour_Glass
04-08-2009, 04:56 PM
If all of Grant Morrison's X-Mens were in one volume, I'd nom that. I think that most superheroes (especially marvel) just lend themselves to longer, serialized stories.

Sam
04-08-2009, 05:43 PM

Matt beat you to it dude and already nominated that title.

Sam
04-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Here are those who have one nomination remaining.

pookie
Sam
razz
Brice

Sam
04-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Some titles that haven't been seen yet.

300. A book AND a movie. This is the book I recommend for those who think comics are just for kids.
Earth X. This story took Marvel and turned it on it's ear.
Crisis on Infinite Earths. 'Nuff said?
X-Men: Mutant Massacre. This story had very far reaching consequences.
Give Me Liberty. Another masterpiece.
Marvels. This is the story that did for Marvel what Kingdom Come did for DC but Marvels came first.

Just to name a few.

turtlex
04-09-2009, 02:30 AM

Matt beat you to it dude and already nominated that title.

Ooops! Sorry about that, feev. Nice catch, Sam.

Some titles that haven't been seen yet.

300. A book AND a movie. This is the book I recommend for those who think comics are just for kids.
Earth X. This story took Marvel and turned it on it's ear.
Crisis on Infinite Earths. 'Nuff said?
X-Men: Mutant Massacre. This story had very far reaching consequences.
Give Me Liberty. Another masterpiece.
Marvels. This is the story that did for Marvel what Kingdom Come did for DC but Marvels came first.

Just to name a few.

Excellent selections, all !

DoctorDodge
04-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Ah, Crisis on Infinite Earths is definitly a classic, Sam. The story that defined the trend of "Mega Crossover", for better or for worse. Perhaps not exactly in my top 5, but still a great comic. Gotta be admired just for the sheer SCALE!

I'm surprised you didn't mention Identity Crisis. Scale wise it's the exact opposite of Crisis on Infinite Earths, and a very different, very unusual story for DC to tell, but that's why i think it's classic: a very different, very realistic look at the DC heroes is given to us for the 1st time, and really makes the reader realise how important a secret identity is to these guys. Add a top notch mystery thriller plot and you've got yourself an alltime DC classic!

Now i've already done my nominations, and i'm sticking to them, but isn't ANYONE going to nominate either Crisis? Be a crying shame not to!

fernandito
04-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Damn you Matt! DAMN YOUUUUU! :lol:

Alright, since Bats is already up on the board , I'm going to nominate :

The Invisibles : Say You Want A Revolution
and
X-Men : The Messiah Complex

Sam
04-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Bump.

Heather19
04-09-2009, 02:11 PM

What!!! No Sandman nomination from you. I'm shocked Feev.

Well I haven't read very many graphic novels yet, and I doubt this one will do well in the running, but I'd like to nominate Locke & Key. I just loved it, and it actually made me give other graphic novels a shot.

did you guys get my nomination or does this not count for some reason?

Sam
04-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I missed it somehow. I'm so sorry, but I've got you now. If you have a second nom, let me know.

Heather19
04-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks Sam!

turtlex
04-09-2009, 02:24 PM
All-righto!
Bring on the titles, folks!!!

Sam
04-09-2009, 02:24 PM
As for it doing well, I just read it the other day and it's one of those stories that you keep thinking about days later. That's the mark. A year from now, I'll remember that story. I bought and read one earlier today that even now I really can't remember. I didn't like the story (though I usually enjoy the character) and hate that I wasted my money on the book. That wasn't the case with Locke and Key. I look forward to the second story of the series.

Heather19
04-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Me too. I'm really curious where they're going to go with it. I've been trying to wait till they're all out before I get them though, but honestly the wait is driving me crazy.

Sam
04-09-2009, 06:12 PM
You DO know that Act two is going to be twelve issues long right?

Sam
04-10-2009, 05:32 AM
El bumpo. Nominate now people. You've only got a few days left.

fernandito
04-10-2009, 07:49 AM
What format are you guys going to use? BMOAT? Constant Reader Awards? Other?

Sam
04-10-2009, 01:57 PM
An amalgam of both BMOAT and Constant Reader actually. I'll explain it better when we start the actual voting.

Heather19
04-10-2009, 02:13 PM
You DO know that Act two is going to be twelve issues long right?

Really :o
I thought it was only going to be 6. Well if that's the case I think I'm going to have to start buying them then. I can't wait that long!

The Cosmic Geek
04-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Box Office Poison is a great graphic novel, I would recommend that for nomination.

turtlex
04-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Box Office Poison, added to the list.

You get another one, CG, if you want... everyone gets two nominations.

The Cosmic Geek
04-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Sure, I'd also like to nominate Blankets by Craig Thompson.

Sam
04-10-2009, 05:36 PM
That has already been nominated. You've still got one left.:)

The Cosmic Geek
04-10-2009, 05:41 PM
HMMM OK let's see a great graphic novel...can I add a different volume of Fables? If so I would nominate Fables volume 6 Homelands.

Sam
04-10-2009, 07:01 PM
I gotcha.

sarajean
04-10-2009, 09:34 PM
pam just reminded me of how much i loved love and rockets, so that gets my nomination. ^_^

Sam
04-11-2009, 07:51 AM
No problem sarajean. You've got one more if you want to use it.

sarajean
04-11-2009, 07:54 AM
still no 300?! my fibf is slipping. it's sitting on my coffee table right now.

that's my second.

turtlex
04-11-2009, 08:12 AM
sarajean - Love and Rockets and 300, a woman after my own heart. I added 300 to the list.

sarajean
04-11-2009, 08:17 AM
(300 sits next to serenity: those left behind, pam)

Sam
04-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Some very interesting choices sj. Good ones, but interesting. On one hand you have a very people oriented tale and on the other, slaughter on par with the latest Rambo flick.
Cool.:P

sarajean
04-11-2009, 08:36 AM
what can i say? i like what i like.

Sam
04-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Well, I figure I've waited long enough to make my last nomination. I'm nominating Alias by Brian Michael Bendis.

If y'all haven't read it, it is a well written, deep exploration of a character that was created specifically for that book. The title of the first volume is simply Alias, so there you go.

Mad Man
04-12-2009, 08:03 AM
A History of Violence by John Wagner, Vince Locke
Frank Miller's Robocop by Frank Miller, Juan Jose Ryp
:panic:

turtlex
04-12-2009, 08:07 AM
You got it, Mad Man! Thanks for the noms!

turtlex
04-12-2009, 08:12 AM
We've got some great titles here, friends. Well done.

Is your favorite listed? Get your noms in !!!

3. Ultimate Spiderman Volume 19: Death Of A Goblin by Brian Michael Bendis - nominated by flaggwalkstheline
4. Johnny The Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez - nominated by flaggwalkstheline
14. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth by Grant Morrision - nominated by Seymour Glass
15. Invisibles: The Invisible Kingdom by Grant Morrison - nominated by Seymore Glass
21. Fables: March of the Wooden Soldiers by Bill Willingham - nominated by Aaron
24. X-Men: X-Cutioner's Song by Scott Lobdell, Fabian Nicieza, and Peter David - nominated by Kidd Ikarus
27. Transmetropolitan: Back on the Street by Warren Ellis - nominated by soylentjillian
28. The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home by Robin Furth and Peter David - nominated by The Lady of Shadows
29. The Dark Tower: Treachery by Robin Furth and Peter David - nominated by The Lady of Shadows
31. The Invisibles : Say You Want A Revolution by Grant Morrison - nominated by feverishparade
32. X-Men : The Messiah Complex by Ed Brubaker, Mike Carey, Peter David, Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost - nominated by feverishparade
36. Love and Rockets: Maggie the Mechanic by Gilbert Hernandez and Jaime Hernandez - nominated by sarajean
40. Frank Miller's Robocop by Frank Miller and Juan Jose Ryp - nominated by Mad Man

Darkthoughts
04-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Can I nominate Hewligan's Haircut which is by Jamie Hewlett (artist) and Peter Milligan (writer).

turtlex
04-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Can I nominate Hewligan's Haircut which is by Jamie Hewlett (artist) and Peter Milligan (writer).

Sure thing, Darkers.

You get two, so if you think of another... post it!

turtlex
04-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Here's the current list - Get Your Nominations In !! EVERYONE GETS TWO !!

3. Ultimate Spiderman Volume 19: Death Of A Goblin by Brian Michael Bendis - nominated by flaggwalkstheline

Darkthoughts
04-12-2009, 09:31 AM

Sure thing, Darkers.

You get two, so if you think of another... post it!

Hmm, I'm trying to narrow my remaining ones down...I shall return...

Ari_Racing
04-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Batman: The Long Halloween - Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale
Batman: Dark Victory - Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale

herbertwest
04-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Clive Barker's books of blood are pretty good

Brice
04-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Yes, they are. The only reason I didn't nominate them is I wasn't sure if they qualified for nomination. :unsure:

Sam
04-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't think they would. As I recall, Books of Blood was several volumes with each volume containing several stories and that isn't what we're looking for. They were something like Secretary of Dreams, am I right?

Here is the current list.
42. Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale - nominated by Ari Racing

Darkthoughts has one more nomination. So does Brice, Razz, and Pookie.

Today is the last day for nominations, so get 'em in while you can and get entered in the contest.

I want to thank everyone who has nominated titles. You have made this a very interesting race. Let's see what the rest of the day brings.

Brice
04-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, they were. I'd considered a few of Clive's, but wasn't sure they'd qualify so I abandoned them. They are brilliant though.

Darkthoughts
04-12-2009, 01:41 PM
My second nomination is for The Sandman:World's End - Neil Gaiman.

It was one of my favourites of the series simply because of the idea of the travellers gathering from all other wheres and whens to exchange tales. It was a story about storytelling :cool:

Sam
04-12-2009, 01:43 PM
I got it Darkers.

Darkthoughts
04-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Aces :couple:

turtlex
04-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Nominations close early Monday morning ( EDT ) ... consider this last call, folks!

Get yer noms in while you can !!

There be prizes here !

Sam
04-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Bump. Last opportunity to get in for some prizes is knocking at your door.

turtlex
04-13-2009, 02:42 AM
Nominations are now closed.

Thank you so very much for participating.

Here's the final list of nominated Graphic Novels :

3. Ultimate Spiderman: Death Of A Goblin by Brian Michael Bendis - nominated by flaggwalkstheline
42. The Sandman: World's End by Neil Gaiman - nominated by Darkthoughts
44. Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeff Loeb and Tim Sale - nominated by Ari Racing

The Polling process will begin soon.

Everyone who made a nomination will be entered in the Graphic Novel Giveaway!

Thank you again ~ Sam and turtlex