PDA

View Full Version : VeryFineBooks Contest--Limited Traycase and copy of The Stand

Matt
03-26-2009, 07:45 AM
I now there is discussion about this contest in the Collectors forum but I wanted to also put a thread here so general site membership could take advantage of it as well.

Please go over and answer the very easy questions, this contest is too great to pass up.

VeryFineBooks Contest (http://www.veryfinebooks.com/Articles.asp?ID=137)

For more information on this special black variant case, click here (http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/standvariant.html).

From skcollector.com:
This case features a white faux leather grain pattern with the title in bold black text and the author stamped in red foil. The font was selected to match the font used on the book Dust Jacket. There's an oval opening in the front that allows a portion of the beautifully designed DJ to be seen when enclosed in the case. A three sided inner box allows for very easy removal of the book with no excess tightness. The case is shut via hidden neodymium magnets -giving a very satisfying snap when closed.

Multiple prototypes were made (and scrapped) to get the design just right. From the materials used, to the shape and size of the oval window, to the number and size of magnets used to shut the case with the correct force while keeping it easy to open when desired. I'm confident you'll love this case!

Emmanuel from VFB has just become a special contributor to our fund raiser and I would love it if he got some good hits on his contest.

turtlex
03-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Done!

Would be a nice thing to win, for sure !

Brice
03-26-2009, 08:04 AM
I now there is discussion about this contest in the Collectors forum but I wanted to also put a thread here so general site membership could take advantage of it as well.

Please go over and answer the very easy questions, this contest is too great to pass up.

VeryFineBooks Contest (http://www.veryfinebooks.com/Articles.asp?ID=137)

For more information on this special black variant case, click here (http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/standvariant.html).

From skcollector.com:
This case features a white faux leather grain pattern with the title in bold black text and the author stamped in red foil. The font was selected to match the font used on the book Dust Jacket. There's an oval opening in the front that allows a portion of the beautifully designed DJ to be seen when enclosed in the case. A three sided inner box allows for very easy removal of the book with no excess tightness. The case is shut via hidden neodymium magnets -giving a very satisfying snap when closed.

Multiple prototypes were made (and scrapped) to get the design just right. From the materials used, to the shape and size of the oval window, to the number and size of magnets used to shut the case with the correct force while keeping it easy to open when desired. I'm confident you'll love this case!

Emmanuel from VFB has just become a special contributor to our fund raiser and I would love it if he got some good hits on his contest.

:nope:

You do realize you are lessening yours and my chances of winning it, right? :(

Seriously, it's an awesome contest. Thanks to Emmanuel and Tomas for making it possible. :D

Sam
03-26-2009, 09:10 AM
<----throws his name into the hat

CRinVA
03-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Well you guys can probably all forget about it as the winning entry was made two days ago! :-)

really - if it was it was probably Ari!

Matt
03-26-2009, 09:23 AM
:o

I did mine two days ago!!

Daghain
03-26-2009, 12:08 PM
That's awesome!

wahlers
03-27-2009, 02:13 PM
This contest brought up a question that I've had for awhile.

(Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

The original 5 Doubleday hardcovers came out in a smaller format (approx. 5.75" x 8.5"). Therefore, the first edition of The Stand was the same size. I have a copy of it -- it's not a first edition, but it's not a bookclub edition (although I do have one of those, so I know that they are not the same).

For later pressings (I've been told around the time of Pet Semetary), Doubleday changed the size of Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining and Night Shift to the newer, more standard size of approximately 6.25" x 9.5".

What I am wondering is this:

Can anybody confirm if the original version of The Stand was also reissued in the larger size?

No offense, but I'm looking for somebody who actually has or has had an actual copy of the original version in hardcover in the 6.25" x 9.5" size, and not just rumors or hearsay.

Otherwise, is it possible that they were already making plans to do the Uncut version at that time, and therefore did not reissue the original version in the larger size?

Thanks in advance for any time or effort that is put into this! :)

-Wahlers

Matt
03-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Hey Wahlers--welcome to the site.

I would probably pose this question in the Collectors Forum. It's called Calvin's Corner and they have a great thread in there called Collecting Questions.

We have some of the most prolific SK collectors in the world on this site so I am sure you will find the answer you are looking for.

wahlers
03-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Thank you very much.

I'll pose the same question there.

mia/susannah
03-27-2009, 02:42 PM
thank you Matt, I am in!!! :huglove: