PDA

View Full Version : Diary

Letti
03-18-2009, 01:17 PM
I am just curious.
I have been writing a diary since I was 12 years old. It means I have been writing it for more than 10 years. That's something. Of course there were times when I didn't open it for long (for months) but for the first 6 or 7 years I wrote it every day.
What about you?
Is anyone out there who is writing a diary? Have you ever shown it/them to anyone? Are you planning to give them to your children?
Why are you writing a diary at all?
And if you are not writing one.. have you ever tried it?

Girlystevedave
03-18-2009, 01:19 PM
You titled it "Dairy".

Daghain
03-18-2009, 01:20 PM
I was just coming in here to say that. :lol:

I've never kept a diary. I'm far too lazy.

Letti
03-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Ehh.. and I cannot correct.
Please, mods, help me. Thanks. :)

Letti
03-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I was just coming in here to say that. :lol:

I've never kept a diary. I'm far too lazy.

Hey mods, in this case never mind because it brings people here. :lol:

SigTauGimp
03-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I was of the mind that this thread was going to be something about Lactose-Intolerance or something like that. :P

I used to keep a journal, but that was years and years ago...I think it's still somewhere around my mom's house...I kept up with it for about 6 years, then went off to college and completely forgot it.

Girlystevedave
03-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't write every day, but I do have tons of journals and notebooks. I don't get to write as often as I like, but I have to sit down and pour all my thoughts out occassionally before they all build up on me. :lol: I would like to write a sort of 'story of my life' to pass on one day. That way, when I'm years and years gone, someone can look back and read it. To this day, I wish I knew more about my granparents' lives, so...
As far as my journals: I have already told my sister to take them in the event I pass before her. She is the only one I would want to see the thoughts I have had. :ninja:

Letti
03-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I used to keep a journal, but that was years and years ago...I think it's still somewhere around my mom's house...I kept up with it for about 6 years, then went off to college and completely forgot it.

For 6 years? That's nice. If I were in your shoes I would look for it. It can be interesting for you in 40 years.

Daghain
03-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, I simply could not figure out why Letti would start a thread on dairy, so of course my curiosity got the better of me. :lol:

Letti
03-18-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't write every day, but I do have tons of journals and notebooks. I don't get to write as often as I like, but I have to sit down and pour all my thoughts out occassionally before they all build up on me. :lol: I would like to write a sort of 'story of my life' to pass on one day. That way, when I'm years and years gone, someone can look back and read it. To this day, I wish I knew more about my granparents' lives, so...
As far as my journals: I have already told my sister to take them in the event I pass before her. She is the only one I would want to see the thoughts I have had. :ninja:

It tells a lot about your relationship.
And why and when did you start it? Do you sometimes read it back?

Letti
03-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Well, I simply could not figure out why Letti would start a thread on dairy, so of course my curiosity got the better of me. :lol:

Okay, now I must say it's not a mistake anymore it's exactly what I wanted to type. :D

Daghain
03-18-2009, 01:27 PM
:lol:

SigTauGimp
03-18-2009, 01:29 PM

For 6 years? That's nice. If I were in your shoes I would look for it. It can be interesting for you in 40 years.

Yeah, we had to start it in my 7'th grade English class, and I kept up with it until graduation. I've actually been meaning to look around for it...it'd be fun to see what I was like as an adolescent. :P

On a similar note, my 3'rd grade Geography teacher made us write a letter to ourselves, talking about what music we liked, who are best friends were, and what we wanted our careers to be. We gave them to her, and she told us that she would mail them to us on our graduation day...of course, everyone completely forgot. Then, in 2003, low and behold, I go to the post office after graduating, and there's the letter that I wrote to myself in 1993.

It was sooo awesome...I still have it somewhere in my keepsake chest.

Girlystevedave
03-18-2009, 01:30 PM

It tells a lot about your relationship.
And why and when did you start it? Do you sometimes read it back?

The oldest journal I have is probably 10 years old. I have reread it since being an adult and realized how stupid I was as a teenager. :lol:
As far as why I keep one. First off: It is sort of a time capsule of my life. I like to read things I wrote and be immediately reminded of my mood, the music I was listening to, the feelings in my heart and mind. I'm just sentimental that way, I guess. Second: Writing things down is the only way to completely analyze my mind and what I'm feeling. If I go too long without writing, I start to feel like my mind is being overwhelmed with too many things at once.

Chap
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM

I hoped it was a clever way of naming a new melons thread :lol:

on topic:
never kept a diary, but often wanted to. I just know I'd stop writing in it after a week though.

Letti
03-18-2009, 01:32 PM

Yeah, we had to start it in my 7'th grade English class, and I kept up with it until graduation. I've actually been meaning to look around for it...it'd be fun to see what I was like as an adolescent. :P

On a similar note, my 3'rd grade Geography teacher made us write a letter to ourselves, talking about what music we liked, who are best friends were, and what we wanted our careers to be. We gave them to her, and she told us that she would mail them to us on our graduation day...of course, everyone completely forgot. Then, in 2003, low and behold, I go to the post office after graduating, and there's the letter that I wrote to myself in 1993.

It was sooo awesome...I still have it somewhere in my keepsake chest.

Wow, that teacher must rock.

And she found you such a perfect penpal. It takes some time to get the answer but still. ;)

Daghain
03-18-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd be worried someone would get it and read it. :nope:

Letti
03-18-2009, 01:39 PM
I'd be worried someone would get it and read it. :nope:

And would fall in love with you forever? :wub:

Girlystevedave
03-18-2009, 01:39 PM
One of my biggest fears is that someone will read my journals/notebooks. To me, it's the equivelent of someone getting into my head.

Daghain
03-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Exactly.

Letti
03-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Someone, thank you for the correction.

One of my biggest fears is that someone will read my journals/notebooks. To me, it's the equivelent of someone getting into my head.

Understandable. Do you keep hiding them? Or do you trust the people around you that they won't start to read them?

Girlystevedave
03-18-2009, 01:44 PM
No, I don't hide them. But my husband (hopefully) understands that if he reads them, he is dead. :lol:

Letti
03-18-2009, 01:46 PM
No, I don't hide them. But my husband (hopefully) understands that if he reads them, he is dead. :lol:

:wtf:

Jean
03-18-2009, 01:47 PM
I was of the mind that this thread was going to be something about Lactose-Intolerance or something like that. :P
Bears' first thought was it would be a food thread, which filled their furry hearts with anticipation.

Anyway, I fixed the title.

I have kept something like a diary all my life, because a lot of funny things happen around, and I can't help noticing them, and don't want them to be lost. I posted a piece of travelling memoirs at .net, and since it was met with a considerable success, I am going to post other pieces (along with that first one) here too, - I know it did, and I hope it would, make at least some people laugh; and that's all bears are after. The Chronicles of A Redecoration is another example, and I promise to everyone that liked them that I will post the rest in the reasonably near future.

Letti
03-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Bears' first thought was it would be a food thread, which filled their furry hearts with anticipation.

Anyway, I fixed the title.

I have kept something like a diary all my life, because a lot of funny things happen around, and I can't help noticing them, and don't want them to be lost. I posted a piece of travelling memoirs at .net, and since it was met with a considerable success, I am going to post other pieces (along with that first one) here too, - I know it did, and I hope it would, make at least some people laugh; and that's all bears are after. The Chronicles of A Redecoration is another example, and I promise to everyone that liked them that I will post the rest in the reasonably near future.

Thanks again.

When did you write down your first story?

Jean
03-18-2009, 01:53 PM
When I was in school (12 years old?), with the only purpose of making my friends laugh. They liked the idea to read about themselves, things they had forgotten or just hadn't paid attention to. It's not really diary, but not literature, either - it's stuff to make people laugh, and to keep some parts of the fabric of existence that would otherwise slip away into oblivion.

Letti
03-18-2009, 01:56 PM
It means you never write about sad things? Things that could make people sad?

Jean
03-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Never. I never write anything serious, either. I don't have the inspiration. I've tried to, a few times, and failed dramatically... just didn't work.

By the way, this thread may later be moved to TBack.

Letti
03-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Never. I never write anything serious, either. I don't have the inspiration. I've tried to, a few times, and failed dramatically... just didn't work.

By the way, this thread may later be moved to TBack.

As you wish. I didn't know where I should open it.
Do you have your writings from your childhood?

Jean
03-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Lots!

Girlystevedave
03-18-2009, 02:21 PM
I had a teacher in the 3rd grade who had us write about an assigned topic every day. My mom still has all of them. I really want to get my hands on them for some good laughs.

Darkthoughts
03-19-2009, 02:10 AM
I kept a diary from when I was about 16 to 18. I wish I still had it, I used to write allsorts of stuff in there - what was going on in my head, song lyrics, drawings, tickets from gigs...when I moved out of home and lived with my boyfriend I burnt it because he was freakily jealous and we'd had a massive row over something he'd read in it (that had happened years before I met him, but that's how strange he was!) I'd love to read it now though.

I buy a diary every year, but never get around to keeping it as a daily journal...which is what I always promise myself I'll do :lol:...I usually end up using it as a sketchpad for the art projects I do, like my murals.

What I have kept, consistently, are photo album diaries - I started them when Sam, my first son was born. I've got one each for Sam, Ruby and Max that chronicle their first year and then after that they go into the general family albums, of which I now have 18. I write everything in there - you know, what we've been doing as a family, their favourite things, funny stuff they say. More recently I've been sticking school reports and stuff in there too.

Max's baby album:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/towerjunkie19/001.jpg

Family album:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/towerjunkie19/002.jpg

Letti
03-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Wow, Lisa. These are really nice. And priceless.

Darkthoughts
03-19-2009, 02:27 AM

It's just so handy though, because as the children get older they ask "What did I do when I was little" and I can just get out an album and say, "I'll show you!" :)

Letti
03-19-2009, 02:47 AM
My diary:

Oh guys, I think you will love this. You can see the improvement of my style (and maybe my personality) from my childhood.

*Diary 1*
from April, 1998
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary001.jpg
Winnie the Pooh.. I can't believe it. *smiles* What a perfect choice for a little girl.

inside:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary002.jpg
colorful and happy and oh-so-cool :rolleyes:

*Diary 2*
from October, 1998
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary006.jpg

inside LOL
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary007.jpg
Back Street Boys... :lol: Oh my God.. what a shame. :wtf:

*Diary 3*
from November, 1999
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary004.jpg
I was sure the cover my diary was kickass and easy-going.
*sigh* :rolleyes:
Of course I was the shiest girl on Earth.

*Diary 4*
from July, 2001
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary008.jpg

*Diary 5*
from August, 2002 - to December, 2007 (yeah, sometimes I didn't write for months)
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary012.jpg
This one looks much better. More simple.

Corner
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary015.jpg
I guess you know why...

Inside
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary022.jpg
some drawings

Writing
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary020.jpg

*Diary 6*
from January, 2008
I am writing this one now
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary024.jpg

inside front
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary025.jpg

inside back
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary033.jpg

Next to each other:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary028.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/diary032.jpg

Brice
03-19-2009, 06:42 AM
I've never really kept a diary. I keep most of my thoughts tucked away safely in my head where they belong. Over the years though I have had many sketchbooks I've filled with drawings, (bad) poetry, and just random thoughts. Eventually it becomes necessary to purge the world of them and usually they tend to catch fire. Honestly though I haven't kept one with any regularity in recent years. If someone happened across one and went through it I wouldn't much care as I doubt most would really get what they were looking at.

Daghain
03-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Lisa, that's absolutely awesome. You're kids are going to love looking back on those when they get older. :)

And Letti has the best collection of covers ever. :D

turtlex
03-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Letti - I love seeing the progression of your diary ( dairy? ) choice! Thanks for sharing.

I used to keep a notebook ( you know, like Jim Morrision ) filled with angsty poems, dark wonderings, dreams, etc, when I was younger.

Now I just tend to take notes in my head.

Darkers - That is so cool. What a neat Mum you are.

SigTauGimp
03-19-2009, 10:31 AM
That's genius, Darkers! I've always thought about how cool it would be to have something like that...a photo/video type diary.

And I agree with everyone else, Letti....it's very neat seeing the progression of covers. :D

Darkthoughts
03-19-2009, 01:08 PM

Letti, does naplo mean diary?

Letti
03-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys. They can always make me smile when I look at them. It's fun to see what I found cute or cool many years ago. :)

Lisa, you are so right.
napló = diary

Melike
03-23-2009, 03:38 AM
I have been keeping a diary kind of thing (it has never been a daily journal) since I was 10 years old. My diary concept is same as Brice's.

And Letti, I love your diaries! Especially the last two!!!
Thanks for sharing.

educatedlady
03-23-2009, 06:03 AM
I have kept diaries and journals since I was about 7, so nearly 20 years. I always destroy them after I fill them up. I use them as places to vent about what I'm feeling at that time. If it happens to come out in poetry form however, I will copy it into my poetry journal so I have record of it.