PDA

View Full Version : Repo! The Genetic Opera (may contain spoilers)

Candice Dionysus
03-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Is there anyone here who's heard of this other than myself?

Its on PPV right now, and the DVD is on sale. It started as a live musical, and they made the movie of it. But its more a cult kind of thing, than mainstream, so I don't know many people who know it (with the exception of the people who come to my house), and I kind of want to spread the word.

Repo! The Genetic Opera takes place a little later on this century, and its a time when, after an epidemic of organ failures, a company named Geneco, run by Rotti Largo, allows you to finance your organs (and some bones) so that you don't have to die because you can't afford them. After a while, it becomes the "in thing" to get surgurey done and make yourself "genetically perfect," but if you can't pay off your debt, or you fall behind on your payments, they may send a Repo man to take back those organs.

Its pretty brutal. Its dark and gothic, and almost the entire thing is sung. The repo scenes are brutal, and its a pretty dark but believable look at the path our planet is on right now. Also, its got such a varied cast, including Paul Sorvino(various works from 1970, on), Paris Hilton, Nivek Ogre(Skinny Puppy), Bill Moseley(The Devils Rejects), Anthony Stewart Head(Buffy The Vampire Slayer), and Sarah Brightman.

If you've seen it, awesome. If not, and you have a strong stomach, I really recomend it. If you don't mind all the singing, its a good, dark, brutal movie with a great plot, and great characters.

LadyHitchhiker
03-13-2009, 07:09 AM
Somebody had made a review and said this was the next rocky horror picture show. Besides the singing, is there any similarities? Do you think it's as fun? I'm very interested in this prospect!

Spencer
03-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah, instead of throwing toast at the screen, will we have to throw intestines? :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
03-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Yay!!!!!!!!! Throw scalpels!!

No no no.. that just sounds dangerous...

Stethoscopes?

No no no.. people will end up with black eyes..

Needles

now that's just gross. No.

We could throw scrubs and gauze and bandaids?

Candice Dionysus
03-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Actually, honestly? There is very little in common with it. Its a dark and twisted look at how people will end up if we continue on our current path of everyone has to be perfect, and no one can age, you have to prevent your wrinkles, etc.

I mean, really, Rocky Horror is tame by comparison, I'd say. And Repo! has less suggested sexual activity, but more drug use. Though not by a whole lot. I wasn't reminded of RHPS at all through the course of Repo!, but I went into it only knowing two things aside from the whole "organ reposession" dealy. One I won't give away, and the other is that its got Ogre from Skinny Puppy and Anthony Stewart Head from Buffy (he was Giles)!

Personally, I would squirt fake blood, and throw rubber eyeballs, and toy hearts, things like that. But it doesn't really fit with the whole mood of the movie. Where Rocky Horror was funny and kinda light-hearted, Repo! is very serious and very dark.

I really do recommend giving it a watch, though. Even if you end up not really like it, its worth seeing it.

Darkthoughts
08-05-2009, 05:03 AM
Just bumping for Dags - you know, I will have to stick this on my rental list now! :D

Tvmorbid
08-05-2009, 05:23 AM
Wooooo I didn't know there was a thread for this! Gleeeee!

Quick question: Was anyone else seriously put off seeing this after they found out Paris 'I'mawhore' Hilton was going to be in it? If it wasn't for one of my friends pretty much forcing me to sit down and watch this I probably would have swerved it!

Ricky
08-06-2009, 07:46 AM
I've been wanting to see this for awhile. It looks awesome. However, around the time it was released, no theaters in my area were playing it. I still haven't seen it since than. Hopefully I'll get around to seeing it soon.

What could possibly be better than seeing someone's organs get Repo'ed? :thumbsup:

Candice Dionysus
10-28-2009, 04:46 AM
Wooooo I didn't know there was a thread for this! Gleeeee!

Quick question: Was anyone else seriously put off seeing this after they found out Paris 'I'mawhore' Hilton was going to be in it? If it wasn't for one of my friends pretty much forcing me to sit down and watch this I probably would have swerved it!

Honestly, no. But that was because of a certain fact that I'm not going to spoil for everyone, but that you should know because you were forced to sit and watch it. And it has to do with her character, near the end of the movie.

Yeah. I loved this movie. Supposedly, they are making two more, I heard. One to go back and explain the past, 17 years ago, and apparently one to go ahead and explain what Shiloh does after the movie? I'm not 100% on that, but I remember hearing it somewhere.

Brice
10-28-2009, 06:28 AM
I just fucking loved this movie and Sarah Brightman has the voice of an angel....just one of the best voices in any genre of music.

Candice Dionysus
10-28-2009, 04:40 PM
I know, right? I've loved her for years. Since I first heard my Phantom of the Opera casette tapes.

Brice
10-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Everything she does is just brilliant. :)

Candice Dionysus
10-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Absolutely brilliant!

ArtherEld
10-29-2009, 06:25 AM
I heard bad reviews for it. But I think I'll still give it a chance just to see Sarah Brightman. Could do without Paris Hilton, but I may get over it.

Candice Dionysus
10-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Her character is hilarious, though. I actually don't give a damn that she's in the movie because her character makes me laugh.

Anyway, every time a movie gets bad reviews, I end up liking it a lot. So the people giving the reviews don't know what they're talking about. All the best movies get shit reviews, it seems.

educatedlady
10-29-2009, 03:32 PM
I love this movie and I listen to the soundtrack quite often. I can't get any of my friends to watch it but I figure it is their loss.

Candice Dionysus
10-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Haha, yeah. I got everyone I know into it because it was always on at my house while it was on PPV. (We get that free, you see, because we are special.)

I listen to the soundtrack a lot myself. I can sing most of it by heart at this point.

CyberGhostface
11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I love this film. I actually got to meet Darren Bousman, Terrance Zdunich and Alexa Vega at a screening.

Candice Dionysus
11-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I am jealous. Though not a big fan of Miss Vega, personally. ^^;

JameseyLefebure
12-08-2009, 03:38 PM
I absolutely adore Repo and managed to pick up a copy on DVD for around £10 in HMV as well :) I think Sarah Brightman is flawlessly good as Meg (although it makes me giggle when her accent comes through "I'm your....god mum") and i think Anthony Stewart head is mindblowingly good - and i always get the urge to watch Once More With Feeling after Repo!! :)
I highly recogmend to anyone!!

Brice
12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
I couldn't agree more on all points. Sarah Brightman has a voice an angel could aspire to. :wub:

JameseyLefebure
12-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I know Brice!!
I adore her in Phantom Of The Opera and only decided to watch repo for the first time because i knew that she was in it - SO glad that I did!
Her voice is just suitably haunting for her role! I think i might have to try and download some of Sarah's back-catalouge!

Brice
12-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I am beginning to think her flawless. Hell, get it all if you can.

Oh, and welcome to the site. :)

Candice Dionysus
12-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Yesss, all of it. She's spectacular.

Melike
12-08-2009, 10:45 PM
She is. And the whole movie is awesome.

Brice
12-09-2009, 07:04 AM
absolutely

mdarkpoet
12-11-2009, 12:32 AM
OMG one of my favorite movies of all time! I was working on a shadowcast for this movie (I love Graverobber btw) and I know all of the songs by heart I can not tell you how excited I got when I saw this thread :scared::dance::thumbsup::rock::clap:

Melike
12-11-2009, 01:13 AM
I can't decide which one is my favorite, between Graverobber and Luigi Largo. :D

mdarkpoet
12-11-2009, 01:15 AM
Graverobber has to be my favorite, Terrance Zdunich is just so sexy :drool:

Mosely does an awesome job as Luigi though (and I still can't forget his role in Devil's Rejects, he kicked ass there too)

Hmmm even Paris Hilton isn't so bad when they goth her up a bit :P

Not sure how I felt about Alexa Vega, on the fence of whether or not I liked her as Shilo

Anthony Stewart Head as the Repo man, priceless :panic:

Candice Dionysus
12-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Any movie that can take Paris Hilton and put her in the same movie as Nivek Ogre, Bill Moseley, Anthony Stewart Head, Paul Sorvino, Sarah Brightman, and Alexa Vega, and have that movie not suck, is a great movie.

Alexa Vega was a decent Shiloh, she has a good angry teenage girl singing voice in that one song (if that's her singing).

Anthony Stewart Head + singing + ripping peoples organs out = <3 no matter which way you slice it.