PDA

View Full Version : King's books, aren't they really all connected?

ArtherEld
02-23-2009, 04:10 AM
This might end up being moved, but it's about nonDark Tower books.

Whenever picking up a Stephen King book, most of us notice that at the beginning of certain editions, there is a list of other books he wrote. And the bold typed titles signify the books that are connected to The Dark Tower. But I the more I read the more I see there are more books than just the bold typed ones.

I've got 10 pages left of Tommyknockers, and finding that even this book can be connected. Using the "Six Degrees of Separation" rule of course, but still. Tommyknockers is kind of like a second cousin to Dark Tower. From Gardener meeting Jack at the beginning of the book, to the kid seeing Pennywise in the sewer halfway through.

Aren't they all really connected?

alinda
02-23-2009, 05:16 AM
According to Sai King , the answer is yes, the ones in bold print are directly
(in varining degrees) related to DT.Using your 6 degrees rule, I'd say that
every book he wrote would qualify as at least a distant cousin.:lol:
as they all came from his word lake (isn't that the term he uses?)

Brice
02-23-2009, 05:29 AM
pool

alinda
02-23-2009, 05:33 AM
:drool:thanks Brice genius really turns me on ya know:wtf:

DanishCollector
02-23-2009, 06:01 AM
I disagree a bit. A lot of his earlier novels, not to forget the early Bachman novels, have nothing to do with the DT series or are connected in any greater way. Just because it's the same author, doesn't mean they are all connected. And we can all see connections or similarities if we wish strongly enough.
There's also numerous stories by King that are stand-alones.
When King entered the mid-90s, his novels (and few stories) began to be more connected, especially to the DT universe, but again, not all of it.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-23-2009, 07:23 PM
I notice a lot of non DT connections. In fact I am rereading Pet Sematary right now and noticed for the first time this connection:

Jud: "Lot of rabies in Maine now. There was a bid old St. Bernanrd went rabid downstate a couple of years ago and killed four people".

I had previously read this before I read Cujo, so it was lost on me.
These are the types of things that make Kings universe so realistic and enjoyable for me.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-23-2009, 09:45 PM
It has also occurred to me that Pet Semetary has a possible DT connection. (Although our DT connection map doesnt have it) Zelda has a framed picture on her wall, which Racheal bumps into while trying to exit the room after Zelda's death, of Oz the Great and Terrible. Zelda had a speech impediment which prevented her from making the R sound, so she referred to him as Oz the Gweat and Tewwible. Isnt this same spelling used at the end of W and G?

Empath of the White
02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Tommyknockers=>The Talisman (Gard bumps into Jack as a kid)
Misery=>Rose Madder=>Desperation=>Insomnia (I think Susan Day was mentioned in a preceeding novel)

I think Cujo, Carrie, and maybe Pet Semetary are referred to as the Castle Rock trio?

Darkthoughts
02-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Cujo gets a mention in every Castle Rock story I've read so far. I like that too, it's the sort of local legend people pass on in real life :cool:

In the Tower Connections section, even though it's primarily for DT connections, I note all the non DT connections in each article too.

I've noticed wikipedia also has good non DT connection info in its SK articles aswell.

Sam
02-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Here's something to keep in mind. Salem's Lot is connected to The Dark Tower through Kurt Barlow. Every book that connects to The Lot, connects to The Tower. This means all of the Castle Rock stories if I'm not mistaken. That would be most of his early works right there, if not all of them.

Dave!
02-26-2009, 05:09 AM
I'm reading the Tommyknockers right now as well! Cool! I'm to the part where Butch Dugan and Grampy Hillman have just been caught. I read it when I was about 13 and am re-reading it now. If you also recall there is a mention of "taheen-type" individuals earlier, before Gard free-falls into his stupor. He shakes it off but it is related. And yeah, I thought the "Jack" kid was a loose embodiment of maybe a "Jake" kid in DT?
And a lot of the towns mentioned in passing are towns in which the smaller group entered and went through in The Stand. Which is also connected.

Spencer
02-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Salem's Lot is connected to The Dark Tower through Kurt Barlow.

I'd actually connect it through Callahan before I would Barlow. :lol:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Salem's Lot is connected to The Dark Tower through Kurt Barlow.

I'd actually connect it through Callahan before I would Barlow. :lol:

Seems the logical choice.