PDA

View Full Version : Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98

Ben Staad
05-16-2018, 05:34 AM
I believe mine changed on Monday of this week.

Randall Flagg
05-16-2018, 05:37 AM
Can someone post a screen shot showing the change?

Brian861
05-16-2018, 05:47 AM
I'm missing the connection on how that makes one a World Champion.

It means that MLB has the best players from around the world.

I would bet that if you took a team of the best MLB players and put them up against the best players you could find that don't play in the MLB, the MLB players would win a 7 games series more often than not.

That would be interesting concept and series to watch. But, like you state, MLB already arguably has the best players worldwide. So in that aspect, I can concede to your point. Without an international league of the best players, which is logistically impossible, it as close as one can come to being a world champ. And MLB provides a huge opportunity to great foreign players whom otherwise probably wouldn't get that in their own country. Good talk! We should do this again sometime. Except over large amounts of beer and really great bar food! :)

The "world champion" thing is like calling American football (NFL) "football" - it makes no sense, but we're used to it. I like the sound of "super bowl champion," "NBA champion," "Stanley cup champion" better.

I do as well.

Father Cody
05-16-2018, 06:22 AM
Why is it that each time I've completely gotten the knack of one facet of technology, an update is made which leaves me compltetly at loss?

I have it from both sides. As an IT consultant and a gadget freak, I get requests for help from my kids AND my parents!

... and their friends :(

I feel your pain. Once my mother asked me if website colors fade over time and I had no idea how to answer. Technically the monitor could degrade over time making it seem like colors are fading, but I know she didn’t mean it that way. I had to laugh and explain that it’s not possible for RGB values to fade because they’re all just numbers. Of course that went right over her head (which of course I knew it would, but the geek in me couldn’t resist) so I just updated her site with a brighter color scheme.

Iwritecode
05-16-2018, 06:38 AM
Good talk! We should do this again sometime. Except over large amounts of beer and really great bar food! :)

:thumbsup:

Noticing your location, I think my family and I drove through Wichita last year when we were on vacation. We stayed a few days in OKC and then drove up to see the Wizard of Oz museum in Wamego.

cit74
05-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Can someone post a screen shot showing the change?

I haven't seen a change either - but then again we are pretty close to each other...relatively speaking

Randall Flagg
05-16-2018, 07:06 AM
I got a view of it by searching the internet. Looks less than impressive.

amd013
05-16-2018, 09:12 AM
At work our building is split into 3 wings. Each wing has 4 or 5 floors. Each floor of each wing has 1 bathroom for each sex. The bathrooms are situated in the middle of each wing, and all stairs/elevators are on the end. Each mens bathroom has 2 stalls. On average when I need to go #2 I need to search 3 or more bathrooms for an open stall (or one that isn't being cleaned). This is quite frustrating when you really have to go, because it is a "long" walk between bathrooms.

Apparently someone at work has had enough of this. I don't normally take pictures when on the toilet, but thought you would find this amusing.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/timelimit.jpg

amd013
05-16-2018, 09:17 AM
I got a view of it by searching the internet. Looks less than impressive.

I got an update about a month or two ago, I wonder if that is what you are seeing or if it is yet another one.

It sucks really bad. I like to watch my DVR shows oldest first (regardless of series), and to determine that info, takes me a couple of minutes.

Also, it tends to freeze a lot when in the DVR menu, sometimes I have to power cycle to get out of it.

Randall Flagg
05-16-2018, 10:07 AM
I saw this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyEcOQ-KIGg

And this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bgZxCqNKZw

and this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss42ThD8krs

Ben Staad
05-16-2018, 10:34 AM
The 1st and 3rd videos channel guide looks like what I have now after the update.

amd013
05-16-2018, 10:47 AM
Yeah that's the system I have had for a month or two. What they don't mention is how sluggish it is. Most of my issues with it aren't even mentioned on these video's since the way I watch is different then they do.

I recently upgraded to the 4K receiver, but it was a waste of time since you have to subscribe to a higher package to get a few channels that will have a few documentary type of shows, or an occasional sports broadcast, and I think it would be an extra $15/mo. So now the only 4K content is from on-demand, and I never pay for on-demand. This receiver is very slow, and now has two components to it. I often have to wait 30 seconds or so when turning the tv on for it to sync with the server. Also, channel changing often takes several seconds.

Strongly considering moving to TW/Spectrum. If I do that my internet cost will go down too.

jsmcmullen92
05-16-2018, 11:53 AM
At work our building is split into 3 wings. Each wing has 4 or 5 floors. Each floor of each wing has 1 bathroom for each sex. The bathrooms are situated in the middle of each wing, and all stairs/elevators are on the end. Each mens bathroom has 2 stalls. On average when I need to go #2 I need to search 3 or more bathrooms for an open stall (or one that isn't being cleaned). This is quite frustrating when you really have to go, because it is a "long" walk between bathrooms.

Apparently someone at work has had enough of this. I don't normally take pictures when on the toilet, but thought you would find this amusing.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/timelimit.jpg

We had the same issue when I worked Down town. 5 story building, 1 men's and 1 women's restroom on each floor plus one unisex handicapped bathroom. the men's only had 2 stalls in some but most had 3. I used to have to go down to the lobby bathroom just to find a place. (Maybe it's an Austin thing)

Br!an
05-16-2018, 12:03 PM
(Maybe it's an Austin thing)

It's just a money thing. The single plumbing stack is cheaper than multiple plumbing stacks with additional bathrooms. As long as that meets the building code that's what the builder will do.

Tommy
05-16-2018, 01:48 PM
I hear yanny.

Randall Flagg
05-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Laural

Merlin1958
05-16-2018, 05:07 PM
Regarding the Directv debacle, let me first say that I have been a DTV customer for almost 30 years. I signed on when you had to purchase your own equipment from a 3rd party provider (P.C. Richards & Son, N.Y.) and all they really offered at the time was the NFL package. Being an owner of a telecom company, from the git-go I was amazed at the customer service they offered. They really appreciated their customers and got better at it year after year. At one point, I was issued a "Platnum/Premium" customer service card which had a personalized "800" number. When I called with a problem they answered "Well, hello Mr. Bender what can I do for you today"? I mean they were the best, hands down. I have always had their premium package and when ever there was an issue they were quick to resolve it and always offered credits. I felt appreciated.

Since, AT&T bought them (3 or 4 years ago?) their CS immediately began to slide deeper and deeper into the lands of futility. Let me point out that I have also been an AT&T customer for over 30 years and my firm was also an authorized reseller for their long distance and the AT&T/Lucent line of business communications systems. When the purchase occurred I was optimistic that some of that fine DTV CS would rub off on AT&T. lol Obviously, I was dead wrong.

Anyway, I contacted them for the third time regarding this new "skin" rollout that occurred in my area (AZ) approx. 10 days ago with no warning or notice of any kind. My issues have ranged from the "Guide" info being out of sync with the actual programming, to not being able to access my "Playlist". Of course, the poor bastard that I got on the phone apologized profusely and told me that they are rolling it back to the previous skin by 5/31 and to be patient with them during the process!!! lol I asked her to inquire with her superiors would they be patient with me if I decided to withhold partial payment until they worked things out on their end? Of course, now way. I then petitioned for credits which are "being taken under consideration" and they will get back to me!!lol

While, if you talk to 20 people at either AT&T or DTV you will undoubtedly receive 20 different and distinctive stories, they are supposedly going back to the old skin by 5/31 and we just have to deal with it until then. It saddens me to see what AT&T has done to such an amazing customer service department. While, IMO DTV still offers the best content and tech, God help you should you need service. It seems that too many large service companies are following suit. They just let some poor asshole have to sit and listen to people like you and I rail on about the lack of service or some ill advised upgrade and then go merrily back to taking our money on a monthly basis dealing with issues in THEIR own good time!!!

Anyway, rant completed. If anyone hears anything else, news wise I for one would appreciate it if you shared. Oh, but for the good old days when my business actually counted to someone!!! lol lol lol

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-16-2018, 05:19 PM
I quit DirecTV and cable a looooooong time ago and never missed it for one single second. I figured I was paying to get 'pure' TV, whatever that is, and when HBO, etc. begin talking during movie credits, putting their logos in the corners of the screen and doing those damn pop-ups, I wrote them a couple of complaining, but very polite letters (no internet back then). They sent me a reply and said most people didn't mind those practices and others wanted to know what was coming up on the next program. I said, thank you very much and cancelled cable. Am I too picky? Possibly, but like I said, I don't miss cable even a tiny bit.
Wait, I did miss not seeing the last season of The Larry Sanders Show, but I have since purchased the DVDs so I made up for that.

Lurker
05-16-2018, 05:25 PM
I did get a notice some time ago from them that this was going happen. I hadn't heard they are going back - that's great.

AT&T are totally incompetent. When I switched to Direct about a year and half ago, I cancelled Dish. They then sent me a "final" bill for a month after it was cut off. I refused to pay. They sent it to a collection agency. After many phone calls and IM chats and not being able to find any e-mail addresses to send complaints to someone at AT&T I simply gathered up my evidence, sent it to their lawyers in Atlanta and told them take care of it or a judge would. The Manager, Office Of The President of ATT couldn't take care of it fast enough for me. I wonder how many people simply pay a final bill from those pond scum and never check it.

Brian861
05-16-2018, 06:21 PM
Good talk! We should do this again sometime. Except over large amounts of beer and really great bar food! :)

Noticing your location, I think my family and I drove through Wichita last year when we were on vacation. We stayed a few days in OKC and then drove up to see the Wizard of Oz museum in Wamego.

Nice! If you're ever in the area again, shoot me a message.

herbertwest
05-17-2018, 12:31 AM
I hear yanny.

I've seen Steve & Bev's tweets, but what does that relate to?

Tommy
05-17-2018, 01:55 AM
I hear yanny.

Laurel or Yanny? What We Heard From the Experts (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/science/yanny-laurel.html)

mae
05-17-2018, 02:37 AM
I hear yanny.

I hear Yanni, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WECMgGG8dg

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 04:50 AM
I hear yanny.

I hear Yanni, too:

Didn’t follow this too much but just read up on it. Have you seen this player that lets you adjust the speed (or something about the audio file) so you van hear both? On the far right end I hear “Gary” as if spoken by a toddler.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

WeDealInLead
05-17-2018, 07:15 AM
How does the the human brain ignore the second "the"?

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 09:11 AM
How does the the human brain ignore the second "the"?

That’s pretty neat what you did there. It worked, too.

Randall Flagg
05-17-2018, 09:31 AM
Anyway, I contacted them for the third time regarding this new "skin" rollout that occurred in my area (AZ) approx. 10 days ago with no warning or notice of any kind. My issues have ranged from the "Guide" info being out of sync with the actual programming, to not being able to access my "Playlist". Of course, the poor bastard that I got on the phone apologized profusely and told me that they are rolling it back to the previous skin by 5/31 and to be patient with them during the process!!! lol I asked her to inquire with her superiors would they be patient with me if I decided to withhold partial payment until they worked things out on their end? Of course, now way. I then petitioned for credits which are "being taken under consideration" and they will get back to me!!lol

Mine updated this morning, and it doesn't seem to be a big deal. In fact, there are a feature or two that are better.
I find it hard to believe they are rolling it out now, only to roll it back in 2 weeks.

As with many things that are new, people freak out.

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 09:48 AM
I hear yanny.

I hear Yanni, too:

Didn’t follow this too much but just read up on it. Have you seen this player that lets you adjust the speed (or something about the audio file) so you van hear both? On the far right end I hear “Gary” as if spoken by a toddler.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

You can hear both of you focus on the bass of the voice for “laurel” and the chipmunk-sound of the voice for “yanni.” Interesting but what difference will it make in my life? Nothing probably.

Tommy
05-17-2018, 10:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McNSmicoNvc

St. Troy
05-17-2018, 12:01 PM
People always seem so surprised to discover that someone who makes art which appeals to them might differ from them in a substantive way.

"What? How can someone who writes such good music not eat cheeseburgers?"

Tommy
05-17-2018, 12:19 PM
I agree but not eating cheeseburgers is a far cry from antisemitism, racism, pedophila, violence and all around jerkiness.

I love the work these writer's produced but that doesn't mean I must love the person themselves, does it?

St. Troy
05-17-2018, 12:41 PM
I agree but not eating cheeseburgers is a far cry from antisemitism, racism, pedophila, violence and all around jerkiness.

It sure is; I was taking a short-cut in making my point. However, "different" is the first step to "terrible" (I'm sure that, if I watched that video, I'd have seen some things termed "terrible" that I'd find merely different and not terrible, and no doubt there are some who would call me terrible because I do eat cheeseburgers).

I'm quite happy not knowing anything about my art heroes' personal thoughts any more than I have to.

I love the work these writer's produced but that doesn't mean I must love the person themselves, does it?

Of course not; I think it means we should recognize the "love" as kind of a "wow, you're cool" type of thing, but not a "I will follow you into the fire" kind of thing. For example, I know it's wrong, but I believe I would run into a live volcano if Kevin Garnett told me to. I just have to recognize that I don't actually know him as a person; I just know him as an inspiring Boston Celtic.

Same with King and all the other artists I like, living and dead.

But I do think, as I said, people always seem so surprised, when they really shouldn't.

Maybe we sense a kind of insight in these people (particularly writers) and assume they "get it" (which loosely translates to "agrees with me") with regard to other issues, when they don't. It may feel surprising, but it shouldn't actually be surprising.

Tommy
05-17-2018, 12:47 PM
I didn't know much about Dahl and Orwell so those two really did surprise me. I mean of all people, you'd think Orwell would have recognized the hypocrisy of his actions.

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 12:50 PM
I could never get past what Michael Jackson did. I know a lot of people still think there’s nothing wrong with listening to his music despite the fact that he was a monster, but I always thought of it as a means of supporting his sickness, and contributing to the destruction of some kid’s life. Now that he’s dead, I guess I don’t think of it that way anymore, but I still change the station if his music is playing.

Tommy
05-17-2018, 01:17 PM
MJ did not make this list....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NGAaLYIUVk

Ari_Racing
05-17-2018, 01:20 PM
It's a tricky subject. Years ago, Ruggero Deodato visited a local convention and even when a part of me wanted to meet him, the other part prevailed. He killed animals during the filming of Cannibal Holocaust and for me that's a limit. I also stopped listening to a local band after a tragedy years ago (they oversold the place and it got on fire, killing a lot of people)...and at the same time, I still watch movies by Woody Allen and Roman Polansky...and my all time favorite actor is Kevin Spacey.

Tommy
05-17-2018, 01:27 PM
It's a tricky subject. Years ago, Ruggero Deodato visited a local convention and even when a part of me wanted to meet him, the other part prevailed. He killed animals during the filming of Cannibal Holocaust and for me that's a limit. I also stopped listening to a local band after a tragedy years ago (they oversold the place and it got on fire, killing a lot of people)...and at the same time, I still watch movies by Woody Allen and Roman Polansky...and my all time favorite actor is Kevin Spacey.

It is a tricky subject because we all have our lines. I am much like you in that there are some artists I've learned things about that prevent me from enjoying their work and some other artists I've learned horrible things about but I can still enjoy their work. I feel like a hypocrite myself sometimes because of that.

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 01:29 PM
MJ did not make this list....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NGAaLYIUVk

Wow. Maybe because they were only allegations I guess. I can’t remember if he was ever convicted of anything.

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 01:33 PM

Dude when I found out those animals were real I got sick to my stomach. That turtle scene haunts me sometimes. And now that I’m thinking about it, I’m wondering if that guy actually ate the muskrat’s intestines. And now I’m wondering if that was real cocaine they gave him. He seemed too authentic to be an actor.

WeDealInLead
05-17-2018, 01:38 PM
I wonder what (if anything) will happen to Jared Leto's status as a teenage heartthrob now that it's finally coming out he fucks underage girls. I posted about that years ago on here and there was a general lack of replies. My concert promoter bud told me Leto demands only underage girls be sent to his dressing room.

Tommy
05-17-2018, 01:49 PM

Dude when I found out those animals were real I got sick to my stomach. That turtle scene haunts me sometimes. And now that I’m thinking about it, I’m wondering if that guy actually ate the muskrat’s intestines. And now I’m wondering if that was real cocaine they gave him. He seemed too authentic to be an actor.

I can't really complain about animals being butchered on screen when I eat meat myself. Apocalypse Now has a butchered cow scene and part of me thinks that it's OK in the name of art. But then I get mad about big game/trophy hunters. I'm all over the place on that one.

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 02:05 PM

I can't really complain about animals being butchered on screen when I eat meat myself. Apocalypse Now has a butchered cow scene and part of me thinks that it's OK in the name of art. But then I get mad about big game/trophy hunters. I'm all over the place on that one.

Oh I’m a complete hypocrite in that regard. Rarely go a day without eating meat. Still, seeing the butchering disturbs me. Funny that I enjoy reading horror books and watching horror movies but can’t stomach violence when it’s real.

jhanic
05-17-2018, 02:44 PM
I've been able to separate my enjoyment of an artist and their works, whether a musician, actor or author, from their personalities, politics or behavior.. I've been that way for as long as I can remember. If that seems hypocritical, so be it.

John

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 02:52 PM
I've been able to separate my enjoyment of an artist and their works, whether a musician, actor or author, from their personalities, politics or behavior.. I've been that way for as long as I can remember. If that seems hypocritical, so be it.

John

I don’t see how that would make you a hypocrite. At least from my perspective it doesn’t. The only way I’d not be able to separate the two is if I’d indirectly be supporting something like pedophelia or things along those lines.

Lurker
05-17-2018, 04:41 PM
I grew up in a household that when Hanoi Jane pulled her treason my parents would have freaked if I ever went to any of her movies. To this day I still can't bring myself to watch anything she's in.
And I have never watched anything from the child rapist Polanski. If their sins rise to that level - I don't need them. I didn't even know who Leto was til Dallas Buyers Club. But, for instance, I still read Dan Simmons in spite of his really right wing viewpoints.

Merlin1958
05-17-2018, 05:29 PM
Random observation. Funny how folks will trend on about anything. Just was noticing that everyone and their mothers' seems to now be posting "Non-King" collections threads. Hell, I always put just about everything save the kitchen sink in my (now) mundane "collection thread". lol However, now it appears "cool to have two seperate threads, a King items & a non=king items thread. lol so, will "Proof", "ARC", foreign & domestic threads soon follow? lol

It's cool BTW by me and as long as folks are enjoying themselves, more power to them. I just find it a bit humorous in my own twisted sense of humor. lol Let's have "Detective story", Sci-Fi, biography and maybe drama story threads as well!!! lol lol J/K I LOVE people!!!!

BTW, anyone got a "Wardrobe thread"? LOL LOL I connect things strangely in my thoughts. When I saw these this popped into my mind for some reason..........................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLjNzwEULG8

St. Troy
05-17-2018, 05:35 PM
I’m really good at separating the work from the person. I’ll raise a toast when Jane Fonda drops dead, but she’s a good actress and I’ll watch her movies.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-17-2018, 05:36 PM
I also collect thread; cotton, polyester, silk, wool, metallic, etc.
But I thought a thread about thread might be a bit on the thin thide, I mean, the thin side, you know.

Merlin1958
05-17-2018, 05:41 PM
I also collect thread; cotton, polyester, silk, wool, metallic, etc.
But I thought a thread about thread might be a bit on the thin thide, I mean, the thin side, you know.

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

You guys fucking crack me up!!! That's why I love coming here!!! LOL

On second thought, a trend like this could get worrisome on a site chock full of obsessive, compulsive and anal retentive "Collectors"!!!! LOL LOL LOL In a weeks time we could all be categorizing the crap out things on this site!!!! LOL LOL

becca69
05-17-2018, 05:46 PM
I think it's because it's been recommended to keep the King collecting threads mainly King related. I've always put everything in mine though. It's especially hard trying to keep them up to date when all the free hosting sites go belly-up or decide to ransom photos.

Br!an
05-17-2018, 05:53 PM
I’m really good at separating the work from the person. I’ll raise a toast when Jane Fonda drops dead, but she’s a good actress and I’ll watch her movies.

I'm sure Jane Fonda really cares what a war crime apologist thinks. As do we all. :nope:

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Random observation. Funny how folks will trend on about anything. Just was noticing that everyone and their mothers' seems to now be posting "Non-King" collections threads. Hell, I always put just about everything save the kitchen sink in my (now) mundane "collection thread". lol However, now it appears "cool to have two seperate threads, a King items & a non=king items thread. lol so, will "Proof", "ARC", foreign & domestic threads soon follow? lol

It's cool BTW by me and as long as folks are enjoying themselves, more power to them. I just find it a bit humorous in my own twisted sense of humor. lol Let's have "Detective story", Sci-Fi, biography and maybe drama story threads as well!!! lol lol J/K I LOVE people!!!!

BTW, anyone got a "Wardrobe thread"? LOL LOL I connect things strangely in my thoughts. When I saw these this popped into my mind for some reason..........................

Last I checked there were six or seven threads and there’s not much action within them. I’m getting the feeling you’re not the only one that thinks they’re laughable. I thought it was a fun idea so I posted some things, but (and I don’t mean this contentiously) I can take a hint. :thumbsup:

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-17-2018, 06:12 PM
Barbarella - yum...

Merlin1958
05-17-2018, 06:14 PM

Last I checked there were six or seven threads and there’s not much action within them. I’m getting the feeling you’re not the only one that thinks they’re laughable. I thought it was a fun idea so I posted some things, but (and I don’t mean this contentiously) I can take a hint. :thumbsup:

Whoa, I'm not passing any judgements and as long as you folks are enjoying yourselves I think its great. Just nicked my funny bone is all and I decided to share. Post away, it's actually an idea with merit. Don't let my twisted sense of humor get in the way of a fun trend at all.

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 06:19 PM

Whoa, I'm not passing any judgements and as long as you folks are enjoying yourselves I think its great. Just nicked my funny bone is all and I decided to share. Post away, it's actually an idea with merit. Don't let my twisted sense of humor get in the way of a fun trend at all.

I enjoy your twisted sense of humor lol. I guess I misunderstood it this time. I interpreted it as “laugh at you, not with you” funny. Hey, I’m still getting to know you guys so my mistake!

Merlin1958
05-17-2018, 07:03 PM

I enjoy your twisted sense of humor lol. I guess I misunderstood it this time. I interpreted it as “laugh at you, not with you” funny. Hey, I’m still getting to know you guys so my mistake!

No worries, dude we're cool. :thumbsup:

To, Francis whoever you are thanks for the "Neg Rep" and "Whatever" comment. IDK what that is upposed to mean, but I don't think I deserved 'Neg Rep" for a humorous observation. You got a beef? Be man enough to post your issue and discuss it. Apparently 'Random Thoughts are a proceed at your own risk kind of endeavor these days.

St. Troy
05-17-2018, 07:35 PM

I'm sure Jane Fonda really cares what a war crime apologist thinks. As do we all. :nope:

:dance:

herbertwest
05-18-2018, 03:59 AM
I know that he used that anecdote often, but does anyone has any idea of where I can find a video in which Steve discusses the fact that a woman didnt want to believe that he wrote The Shawshank Redemption?

Thanks !

Ben Staad
05-18-2018, 04:32 AM
I'm interested. What else are you thinking St. Troy?

:dance:

stroppygoblin
05-18-2018, 04:50 AM
I know that he used that anecdote often, but does anyone has any idea of where I can find a video in which Steve discusses the fact that a woman didnt want to believe that he wrote The Shawshank Redemption?

Thanks !

Here's a recent one: approx 11:30 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRD7JJLPeIM

herbertwest
05-18-2018, 07:02 AM
Thanks a lot !

WeDealInLead
05-18-2018, 07:23 AM
I'm in a giving mood today. If you like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6C_KgXCl6Q then you can download it here for free: www.deathwishinc.com/downloadvinyl The code is 90-2MVFDYLC

No catch, no rules. I bought the record and it came with one free download. I already have it on digital so one lucky person can have it.

Iwritecode
05-18-2018, 08:24 AM
A friend of mine on Facebook (actually she's a friend of my mom and probably in her late 60's) has posted this picture 2 or 3 times on her wall completely unironically.

I'm guessing she's never seen Star Wars and she doesn't get the joke...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d5/d9/e2/d5d9e2bf60fc5b2ca80b56179142e907.jpg

Ricky
05-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Ten things that bug me in movies and on TV

1. The totally bogus metal sliding on metal sound when a sharp (or even dull) blade is drawn from a non-metallic sheath, or sometimes just moved through the air!

2. The ‘wall’ filled with clippings, pictures, playing cards, laundry receipts, whatever, all connected by strands of yarn. I’m tired of seeing this darn thing.

7. Action and fight scenes consisting of no shots lasting more than half a second, with every arm, leg or other movement done from a different angle with a bobbing hand-held camera deliberately shaken.

8. The drowned character who comes back to life, spitting out water, after being thumped on the chest for about twenty minutes with the hero chanting. “No! No! No!” over and over again. It was great in THE ABYSS, but once was enough.

9. The vehicle coming out of the alley or side street to crash into the passenger side of a car from the driver’s POV, who is talking to the passenger. I think the first time I saw this was in THE FORGOTTEN, and again, once was enough.

This gave me a good laugh. I can't stand them either. Especially the car thing!

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-18-2018, 05:06 PM
I thought of a couple more:

11. Constant gum chewing or eating; for example, Brad Pitt's potato chip eating in one of those awful Oceans movies, or Colin Farrell's gum chewing in True Detective season two.

12. The shot of a leg coming out of a car when it pulls up and parks. I'm always waiting for a long, sexy stem, and when it's some guy's I am like, you know, really disappointed.

13. The guessing of a password in order to open someone's computer in three tries or less.

Father Cody
05-18-2018, 05:18 PM
13. The guessing of a password in order to open someone's computer in three tries or less.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That one’s as bad as the guys who can always knock someone out with one punch. Like all you have to do is punch someone and you’ll knock them unconscious? I don’t think it works like that.

zelig
05-18-2018, 05:25 PM
Busting open the door with one kick.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-18-2018, 05:54 PM

That one’s as bad as the guys who can always knock someone out with one punch. Like all you have to do is punch someone and you’ll knock them unconscious? I don’t think it works like that.

Obviously you haven't seen HARD TIMES with the great Charles Bronson.

Tommy
05-18-2018, 05:59 PM
I cringe when I hear the phrase "We've got company!". ><

Tommy
05-18-2018, 06:11 PM
Roger Ebert wrote an entire book about movie clichés. Fans started submitting their own and he kept adding to the list.

Ebert's Bigger Little Movie Glossary: A Greatly Expanded and Much Improved Compendium of Movie Clichés, Stereotypes, Obligatory Scenes, Hackneyed ... Shopworn Conventions, and Outdated Archetypes (https://www.amazon.com/Eberts-Bigger-Little-Movie-Glossary/dp/0836282892)

Ebert's Glossary of Movie Terms (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/EbertsGlossaryOfMovieTerms)

"Roger Ebert's Little Movie Glossary" (http://www.edtruthan.com/movies/)

Father Cody
05-18-2018, 06:17 PM

Obviously you haven't seen HARD TIMES with the great Charles Bronson.

I haven’t.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-18-2018, 06:34 PM
I read Ebert's autobiography and really enjoyed it. Got the first edition and the Easton Press signed edition. He led an interesting life.

Tommy
05-18-2018, 06:38 PM
I read Ebert's autobiography and really enjoyed it. Got the first edition and the Easton Press signed edition. He led an interesting life.

I miss him very much. He was the only film critic I read religiously and he taught me how to enjoy films on a higher level.

Can I borrow your EP edition? I haven't read it yet. :biggrin:

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-18-2018, 06:47 PM

I miss him very much. He was the only film critic I read religiously and he taught me how to enjoy films on a higher level.

Nope. It's still encased in bulletproof shrinkwrap.

Tommy
05-18-2018, 06:53 PM

Nope. It's still encased in bulletproof shrinkwrap.

Rats!

EDIT: Bulletproof shrinkwrap :lol:

Ben Staad
05-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Daughter is graduation highschool next weekend! So excited for her but sad at the same time. I think I am more anxious and excited than she is.

Merlin1958
05-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Daughter is graduation highschool next weekend! So excited for her but sad at the same time. I think I am more anxious and excited than she is.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Ben Staad
05-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Let me try this again...Daughters highschool graduation is next weekend...

BTW. Thank You Mr. Merlin!

Father Cody
05-19-2018, 09:25 AM

That’s huge. Congrats Ben. Any plans for college?

jhanic
05-19-2018, 09:34 AM
Today is my wife and my 51st anniversary.

John

Br!an
05-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Congrats! That's impressive.

Merlin1958
05-19-2018, 09:38 AM

John

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Father Cody
05-19-2018, 09:42 AM

John

Congratulations, Hanics! Hope you two have a great day.

Father Cody
05-19-2018, 09:45 AM
Since we’re sharing milestones, my boy started crawling a couple days ago. Not sure if I should celebrate or have a panic attack.

Ben Staad
05-19-2018, 10:14 AM
Congrats my friend! Hope you have a wonderful day together.

John

Ben Staad
05-19-2018, 10:18 AM

That’s huge. Congrats Ben. Any plans for college?

Since we’re sharing milestones, my boy started crawling a couple days ago. Not sure if I should celebrate or have a panic attack.

Yes she is going to a local state school starting in the summer. She is going into the nursing program. Depending on how well she does will determine what degree she ends up with. She is a good but not great student so the regular RN program will probably be challenging for her.

Congrats on your son crawling! Enjoy the moments as they tend to go quickly.

biomieg
05-19-2018, 11:12 AM
Congrats on all the milestones! My boy started school a few weeks ago (he turned four on April 11), which is also quite exciting for all of us...

zelig
05-19-2018, 11:50 AM
Congratulations to all!

Lot guy
05-19-2018, 01:51 PM

John

Congrats John, that wonderful!!!!

peripheral
05-19-2018, 07:32 PM
I really enjoyed popping into this thread and seeing some proud personal milestones shared by the members here, congratulations all on your marriages and children. This is a great community.

I really don't have a milestone as important as the ones mentioned here, but I did see Richard Dawkins speak last night in Melbourne - a personal hero of mine He was erudite and passionate - I loved it. I regret not buying tickets for the 'meet and greet' (and book signing!) afterward, the people I went with didn't won't to pony the extra deniro for that...

Lot guy
05-19-2018, 07:55 PM
Congrats Michael and Ben Staad!!
Antoni that sounds like a GREAT time, do a lot of writers come to Melbourne!!

peripheral
05-19-2018, 08:01 PM
Congrats Michael and Ben Staad!!
Antoni that sounds like a GREAT time, do a lot of writers come to Melbourne!!

Thanks, Matt. We do get a few come through - The Melbourne Writer's Festival every year gets some big international and local names - last year I met Joyce Carol Oates, the year before was Justin Cronin. An Aussie organisation called "Think Inc" bring a lot of great minds to speak (I saw Sam Harris and Majid Nawaaz last year, Dawkins this year). If only the King would head this way again...

zelig
05-20-2018, 08:14 AM
Just learned that “WC” stands for Water Closet. Kept seeing it on the door of restrooms. At first I was confused. There’s a door. Looks like it could be the restroom, but there’s no restroom sign. Anyway, I got it now.

Tommy
05-20-2018, 08:38 AM
Just learned that “WC” stands for Water Closet. Kept seeing it on the door of restrooms. At first I was confused. There’s a door. Looks like it could be the restroom, but there’s no restroom sign. Anyway, I got it now.

I remember WC in Anne Frank's diary and have seen it in a few older films. I've never seen it in use anywhere in the US but I am in the deep South. My parents were older when they had me. They remember using Outhouses when they were kids. I mainly hear folks refer to it as Bathroom or Men's/Women's room.

By the way, is this officially "potty talk"? :dance:

Pasiuk57
05-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Today is my 35th wedding anniversary. I’m a much better person because of her. No doubt about it.

Br!an
05-20-2018, 09:00 AM

Randall Flagg
05-20-2018, 09:36 AM
Congratulations!

jhanic
05-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Today is my 35th wedding anniversary. I’m a much better person because of her. No doubt about it.

Congratulations, Mike!!

John

Lot guy
05-20-2018, 03:53 PM

CONGRATS Mike that's AWESOME!!!!

Father Cody
05-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Congratulations, Mike!

That’s awesome, Antoni!

wizardsrainbow
05-20-2018, 04:17 PM

CONGRATS!!!

George at C-Springs
05-20-2018, 05:34 PM
Congrats Mike.

zelig
05-20-2018, 06:04 PM
Congrats Mike buddy. A milestone.

Tommy
05-20-2018, 06:34 PM
Congratulations to everyone with big announcements here! :thumbsup:

Today was a somber anniversary for me. It's been 19 years since my father died. This is always a crappy time of the year for me. Funny how things that happened decades ago are so vivid but I can't remember last week at all.

wizardsrainbow
05-20-2018, 07:11 PM
Sorry Tommy...my own father passed in April 1989, about 6 months before I even got married. I feel your loss. So sorry, but I bet your father would be proud of you!

Tommy
05-20-2018, 07:29 PM
Sorry Tommy...my own father passed in April 1989, about 6 months before I even got married. I feel your loss. So sorry, but I bet your father would be proud of you!

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to wizardsrainbow again"

Thank you so much! I was worried sharing that would sound like I was whining. I was the one who found my father and I don't think I've ever gotten over it. I'm sorry yours was not there for your wedding. It really is those big days that their absence is noticed the most. Mine passed before I graduated college. Gosh I don't know why tonight is so bad! One of the last things he saw was the Columbine shooting. 19 years later and nothing's changed. Sheesh, sorry everyone.

zelig
05-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Tommy sorry for your loss and that you still deal with it even after all the years. I can understand. I am certain that your father would only want for you to be happy. My dad has been gone 16 years now. The last time I saw him, I hugged him goodbye, knowing it was the last time. He’s always with me, as I’m sure your dad is and anyone who has lost someone close.

Father Cody
05-20-2018, 08:13 PM
Can’t imagine what losing a father is like. All I can say is I’m not looking forward to it in the slightest. Sorry Tommy.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-20-2018, 08:26 PM
Most of my close relatives are gone. I have a brother, and two aunts and one uncle left out of 17, odd number due to remarriage.

biomieg
05-20-2018, 10:00 PM
My father passed away unexpectedly in 1991 at the age of 41, one day after my 17th birthday. I am an optimist but yeah, that time life really wasn’t fair...

I feel your pain, guys!

Sai Sheb
05-21-2018, 12:17 AM
Lost both my parents a few years back and if it were not for my children and wife.... my best to those with a smile on their face and love in their hearts...

stroppygoblin
05-21-2018, 03:35 AM
Well, this thread just stopped me in my tracks. It seems May is not a great month for Fathers.

My Dad passed away on the 15th May 2012, approx 7 months before I joined the Dark Tower. A fact I find it incredibly difficult to reconcile, as it feels like I have been on this site forever - but it seems like only yesterday I spoke to my father for the last time.

Iwritecode
05-21-2018, 04:43 AM
Let me try this again...Daughters high school graduation is next weekend...

Same with me. It took her an extra 2 years and a ton of work from all involved including quite a bit of fighting with the school system to get her the extra help they kept insisting she didn't need, but we finally did it.

Brian861
05-21-2018, 04:52 AM
Let me try this again...Daughters highschool graduation is next weekend...

BTW. Thank You Mr. Merlin!

Congrats to her, Ben!

John

Congrats, John!

Congrats, Mike!

Congratulations to everyone with big announcements here! :thumbsup:

Today was a somber anniversary for me. It's been 19 years since my father died. This is always a crappy time of the year for me. Funny how things that happened decades ago are so vivid but I can't remember last week at all.

It'll be 13 years in August since we lost my father. If you had a great father, it's just something you never quite put behind you. And maybe you shouldn't........

Tommy
05-21-2018, 10:05 PM
Tommy sorry for your loss and that you still deal with it even after all the years. I can understand. I am certain that your father would only want for you to be happy. My dad has been gone 16 years now. The last time I saw him, I hugged him goodbye, knowing it was the last time. He’s always with me, as I’m sure your dad is and anyone who has lost someone close.

Thank you for the kind words and for sharing. Your dad would have much to be proud of indeed! You've made the family name known worldwide. :thumbsup:

Can’t imagine what losing a father is like. All I can say is I’m not looking forward to it in the slightest. Sorry Tommy.

Thank you. It's the hardest thing I've been through and I've been through some tough shit in my life (but who hasn't?). Death makes everything else seem easy by comparison.

Most of my close relatives are gone. I have a brother, and two aunts and one uncle left out of 17, odd number due to remarriage.

My father passed away unexpectedly in 1991 at the age of 41, one day after my 17th birthday. I am an optimist but yeah, that time life really wasn’t fair...

I feel your pain, guys!

Lost both my parents a few years back and if it were not for my children and wife.... my best to those with a smile on their face and love in their hearts...

Well, this thread just stopped me in my tracks. It seems May is not a great month for Fathers.

My Dad passed away on the 15th May 2012, approx 7 months before I joined the Dark Tower. A fact I find it incredibly difficult to reconcile, as it feels like I have been on this site forever - but it seems like only yesterday I spoke to my father for the last time.

It'll be 13 years in August since we lost my father. If you had a great father, it's just something you never quite put behind you. And maybe you shouldn't........

A big thank you to everyone for sharing their stories of loss. Reading them helped a great deal. :grouphug:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-23-2018, 08:35 AM
I am Transylvania having dinner looking at Dracula's castle. Wonderfull experience.

Ari_Racing
05-23-2018, 08:50 AM
I've been trying to go there for the last three years but business gets in the middle. Next month I'll be in London for a week and again...not going to Romania, BUT I'll visit Scotland :)

Randall Flagg
05-23-2018, 12:45 PM
After months working on the Fundraiser; a break and a great beer are much needed...

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1527108240-Pliny%20San%20Simeon.JPG

Br!an
05-23-2018, 12:55 PM
After months working on the Fundraiser; a break and a great beer are much needed...

It's been a long time since I've been to San Simeon.

wizardsrainbow
05-23-2018, 01:37 PM
mmmmmmmm beeeeer

herbertwest
05-23-2018, 02:38 PM
I've been trying to go there for the last three years but business gets in the middle. Next month I'll be in London for a week and again...not going to Romania, BUT I'll visit Scotland :)

You should taste some Irn Bru, and obviously some whisky!

FlyerPhan0826
05-23-2018, 02:46 PM

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1527108240-Pliny%20San%20Simeon.JPGGreat view and well deserved beer. I'm jealous of the west coasters that can get their Pliny easily.

Sai Sheb
05-24-2018, 10:23 AM
Love Irn bru.. and dandelion and burdock...
And scotch...

jon10g
05-25-2018, 02:34 AM
I posted this in the other authors section but thought I would put it here too.

Hi
Is there anyone in the LA area who is likely to attend the David Lynch event on June 21st at the Theatre at the Ace Hotel for his new book Room to Dream? https://theatre.acehotel.com/events/...g-david-lynch/

I would love a signed copy of this book and am willing to pay good money for it.
Thanks

jhanic
05-25-2018, 06:39 AM
Anybody have an idea of what's going on over at the Stephen King Message Board? It was taken down in the afternoon yesterday and is still down now. "Sorry, we're currently performing some maintenance. Please check back later." is all it says.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-25-2018, 08:50 AM
Any serious horror fan should visit Dracula's Castle in Transylvania...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/medium/2018_Bran_Castle_0552.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/medium/2018_Bran_Castle_0549.jpg

The Chamber of Horrors is spine chilling and R rated...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/medium/2018_Bran_Castle_0543.jpg

Don't forget the gift shop on the way out...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/medium/2018_Bran_Gifts_0502.jpg

Father Cody
05-25-2018, 09:03 AM
I thought you were kidding when you said you're in Transylvania.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-25-2018, 09:37 AM
I thought you were kidding when you said you're in Transylvania.

Not kidding, but under the influence of very, very cheap booze. Hic!

Home now, but going back there on Monday. :)

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-25-2018, 10:26 AM
I envy you Mr. Trick (it's amazing how many cardinal sins I am privileged to indulge in on this site). That looks like one hell of an amazing vacation!
Love that castle!

peripheral
05-25-2018, 07:05 PM
That looks amazing, RT.

peripheral
05-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Today I bought some Bob Dylan tix for his August gig in Melbourne. I think it'll be the 8th or 9th time I've seen Dylan - I keep getting drawn back for that occasional magic that happens at his concerts. To keep myself grounded, however, tonight I'm off to see some homegrown (amusing) pub rock, The Cosmic Psychos, at my local...

(Warning - R-rated lyrics...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjC0pEl0kSE

Tommy
05-26-2018, 01:50 PM
https://media.entertainmentearth.com/assets/images/270a3384e63b4d5bb4d32d53f746ed79lg.jpg

peripheral
05-27-2018, 02:31 AM
2018 Literary Gala - PEN America.
Just when I thought I couldn't love the guy any more, I learn of King's stand against the banning of Rushdie's The Satanic Verses....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1AsV9FpHjQ&app=desktop

Apologies if this has been posted previously, I couldn't see it with a quick scan around.

Tommy
05-27-2018, 03:26 AM
And then this happened...

Morgan Freeman: 'I did not assault women' (https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/26/entertainment/morgan-freeman-harassment-statement/index.html)

VISA has dropped him and the Screen Actors Guild might expel him.

peripheral
05-27-2018, 03:34 AM
And then this happened...

Morgan Freeman: 'I did not assault women' (https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/26/entertainment/morgan-freeman-harassment-statement/index.html)

VISA has dropped him and the Screen Actors Guild might expel him.

Unreal. It seems that it only takes an accusation and a hashtag, for someone to be good as guilty, nowadays...

Tommy
05-27-2018, 03:38 AM
It started with a CNN reporter.

She Went to Interview Morgan Freeman. Her Story Became Much Bigger. (http://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/26/movies/morgan-freeman-reporter.html)

Tommy
05-27-2018, 04:00 AM
Not sure how much credibility a drug-using murderer has but I just came across this, knew nothing about this before...

Morgan Freeman had affair with step-granddaughter: alleged murderer (https://nypost.com/2018/04/20/morgan-freeman-had-affair-with-step-granddaughter-alleged-murderer/)

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-27-2018, 04:20 AM
I would take any 'news' story from CNN with about a dump truck's worth of salt thrown over my shoulder.

Tommy
05-27-2018, 04:33 AM
Not sure how much credibility a drug-using murderer has but I just came across this, knew nothing about this before...

Morgan Freeman had affair with step-granddaughter: alleged murderer (https://nypost.com/2018/04/20/morgan-freeman-had-affair-with-step-granddaughter-alleged-murderer/)

More about this from FOXNEWS...

Morgan Freeman's step-granddaughter spoke about 'grandpa feelings' before her murder, text messages reveal (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/04/25/morgan-freemans-step-granddaughter-spoke-about-grandpa-feelings-before-her-murder-text-messages-reveal.html)

EDIT: sorry I keep posting about Freeman. I am in a bit of a shock right now and trying to process it all.

Father Cody
05-27-2018, 04:44 AM
My wife worked for Morgan Freeman at his production company in the late nineties. We both heard about this story at the same time and she was shocked. Said he was one of the only normal people in Hollywood she ever worked for. Never harassed her, always kind, and in no way did she ever think it was a toxic environment. My wife is a feminist. There’s simply no way she’d defend him if she thought this story was true. I call bullshit on this story, if you ask me.

Funny thing is I was wondering if I should ever post this, thinking maybe it wasn’t really relevant, but I guess it kind of is in this context. He signed this “inspirational quotes from Hollywood” book and sent it to her as a Christmas present after she moved on to another job.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180527/2a686af2bf7386605a69eff2b50d1520.jpg

Tommy
05-27-2018, 05:10 AM
This video details the accusations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmbN1g6x2ws

I love Morgan Freeman and his films dearly but what makes me wonder is why 16 women would make these accusations for no reason. I mean Morgan is very liberal and CNN is a left-leaning network (In my opinion, I suppose that's debatable). Ugh, I just don't know. I really hope it's not true.

WeDealInLead
05-27-2018, 05:16 AM
Shawshank: The Return

This one would hit hard if it's true. Dating someone young enough to be your granddaughter is creepy AF, but "legal" so I guess it's OK. I don't think I could watch his movies again if he actually did harass these women.

Father Cody
05-27-2018, 05:54 AM
Shawshank Return?? I had no idea that was in the works.

Br!an
05-28-2018, 05:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBCurldzXBk

Br!an
05-28-2018, 05:24 AM

It will come at just after Misery's Return. :evil:

webstar1000
05-28-2018, 05:50 AM

lol

Father Cody
05-28-2018, 06:02 AM

Soooo you’re telling me there’s a chance :lol:

webstar1000
05-28-2018, 01:27 PM
I really want to go for the IT manuscript from the David Morrell collection. What do you guys think that will go for? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy
05-30-2018, 01:00 AM
Flash flood warning in my area for the next three hours, great....:eek::frown1:

jhanic
05-30-2018, 01:48 AM

Best of lick!! Are you in a flood zone?

John

Tommy
05-30-2018, 02:12 AM

John

Thank you, John! It's never exactly flooded in my town because we are up high on a bit of a "hill" for lack of a better word but I am getting alerts on my phone for this area right now. (My town is small, around 3,000 people.) The bigger cities near me like Greenville and Spartanburg (parts of the highway are shut down at the moment) are in real danger of flooding. I have a relatively big "yard" around 4 acres and it is floating. We are getting soaked because of Alberto. It's expected to rain until next week. I really don't know what will happen if enough rain comes down. My tomato, cucumber and basil plants are loving it at least.

Don't worry too much about me, just pray for my King collection! It's way more important than I am!

Br!an
05-30-2018, 02:16 AM

John

Thank you, John! It's never exactly flooded in my town because we are up high on a bit of a "hill" for lack of a better word but I am getting alerts on my phone for this area right now. (My town is small, around 3,000 people.) The bigger cities near me like Greenville and Spartanburg (parts of the highway are shut down at the moment) are in real danger of flooding. I have a relatively big "yard" around 4 acres and it is floating. We are getting soaked because of Alberto. It's expected to rain until next week. I really don't know what will happen if enough rain comes down. My tomato, cucumber and basil plants are loving it at least.

Don't worry too much about me, just pray for my King collection! It's way more important than I am!

My tomatoes were loving it at first too. Then about half of them burst from too much water.

Tommy
05-30-2018, 02:23 AM

John

My tomatoes were loving it at first too. Then about half of them burst from too much water.

I'm thinking I might need to move them soon. They are starting to look a bit waterlogged after I just checked them. I use big planters so I can move them easily. Sheesh!

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-30-2018, 04:53 AM
I have just received a Western Union telegram from God (I am not permitted to reveal which particular God though), and he, she, it, or whatever combination of genders, known or unknown, he, she, it or whatever is, has decreed I am worthy of receiving my own private jet, complete with my pick of stewardesses (God does NOT like the term "flight attendants"). So please send your donations to me, right away! And hurry up! I only need 63 million dollars.

Can I get a big AMEN!

webstar1000
05-30-2018, 03:50 PM
Is it bad I want to eat this?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180530/bf75ec809421d645f1b2869e5575cfbf.jpg

Joe315
05-31-2018, 09:05 PM
Someone posted this on imgur.

http://i.imgur.com/pzHvBeo.gif

Father Cody
05-31-2018, 10:00 PM
Someone posted this on imgur.

http://i.imgur.com/pzHvBeo.gif

Whoa that’s pretty cool. Also, I didn’t know animated images worked here.

herbertwest
06-04-2018, 02:51 AM
By 10h50am I posted something on instagram via the official iOS app
By 11h15am, I recieved an email saying that my password had been changed, and now my account was renamed, email & password changed. Stolen by a russian.

Its funny how there is apparently nothing that I can do but recreating from scratch an account it seems... fuck!

I didnt think that it would happen to me, I dont know how it did, so... secure your accounts with a 2 steps authen
But that means that INSTAGRAMs security is SHITE : they couldnt notice that I published in France, and 30mins later there was a login/recovery/something done from RUSSIA?

Ari_Racing
06-04-2018, 03:41 AM
That's a bummer. 😔 Your mobile device might be compromised, Jeremy. Just in case, perform a full check.

Father Cody
06-04-2018, 03:53 AM
I feel your pain man. Instagram’s buggy. Just last year their api was exploited to access phone numbers of several celebrities, and that only made the news because of who they were. Can’t imagine what happens on a daily basis that we never hear about. Every system has holes, even Facebook’s so this shit is just going to keep happening. It’s pretty much impossible to write bulletproof code, and even two step authentication can be hacked. Hell, the Russians did it during the US elections essentially by harvesting confirmation codes. Honestly, I wish I had never used any real information about me when social media started becoming a thing.

herbertwest
06-04-2018, 03:54 AM
I think that what had happened was that one of my emails got leaked a few years ago in one of the major security breaches. I did remember checking an account, but apparently I forgot checking a second email address and I was still using the same pwd... shit

I'd recommend you all to check whether your emails were compromised and change the pwd
> https://haveibeenpwned.com/

mae
06-04-2018, 04:59 AM
Stolen by a russian.

Just like some elections we've had.

Ben Staad
06-04-2018, 05:24 AM
:emot-roflolmao:

Stolen by a russian.

St. Troy
06-04-2018, 06:06 AM
Stolen by a russian.

My vote seemed to have gotten through ok.

Sai Sheb
06-04-2018, 11:45 PM
I just wanna share some love and goodwill.
Here is a hug to all my DT friends, I hope you are all well met and live long days and pleasant nights..x

jhanic
06-05-2018, 01:43 AM
Thanks!!

John

Tommy
06-05-2018, 05:55 AM
Here is a hug to all my DT friends, I hope you are all well met and live long days and pleasant nights..x

:huglove:

St. Troy
06-05-2018, 06:13 AM

A nice thought, and may it be so.

...but as a wise man once said, "this world is like a burnt steak: small, tough, and the chips are always stacked against you."

jsmcmullen92
06-05-2018, 06:43 AM

...but as a wise man once said, "this world is like a burnt steak: small, tough, and the chips are always stacked against you."

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2014-12/5/17/enhanced/webdr07/longform-original-7697-1417819354-4.jpg

St. Troy
06-05-2018, 06:45 AM
Great movie, with many great performances and memorable lines.

Tommy
06-05-2018, 06:54 AM

Rob, who hurt you?

St. Troy
06-05-2018, 07:01 AM

Rob, who hurt you?

Ha. While I am a wise man, I am not the wise man (who said this).

Tommy
06-05-2018, 07:42 AM

Rob, who hurt you?

Ha. While I am a wise man, I am not the wise man (who said this).

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Brian861
06-05-2018, 01:40 PM

Right back at ya! Loving the latest adventures of EOAS :lol:

webstar1000
06-05-2018, 02:10 PM
A little unorthodox but some of my friends are trying to raise money for a community floating dock. They are having a tough time raising funds. I have donated all I can to it but hey thought I would ask my DT family If anyone felt like helping. They don’t have a lot of money and are having trouble so... why not? Every bit helps them[emoji4]

https://www.gofundme.com/lake-charlotte-float

Tommy
06-06-2018, 04:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26XoeKq3Ics

$10K for an original Bob Ross :thumbsup:

amd013
06-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Man that brings back memories. I would have sworn he was around in the mid 70's, but looks like he didn't start until '83. My Grandpa was always watching the show when I was over. I could have sworn he watched it when I was a preteen, but looks like Bob didn't start until my mid teens. My Grandpa often painted landscapes like Bob's (don't think he used the wet on wet technique that Bob did).

Merlin1958
06-07-2018, 06:16 PM
So, I just had a chat on FB with, Nerak!!! She's doing well though she still roots for the fucking Red Sux & Putz!!! lol

First time for me, chatting on FB. What will these nerds come up with next???? lol lol

Ockhamistic
06-08-2018, 03:19 AM
Hello all,

I wasn’t sure where to post this, so I decided this spot was as good as any. My first name is Michael and my eBay username is zoohim. A King collector named Kris recently initiated contact with me via eBay. I’ve been exchanging messages with him via eBay, but it’s a pain in the buttocks to do so via the eBay messaging system. I would prefer to message him via another method if possible (perhaps on here or via personal email), but I’m afraid to exchange contact information with him on eBay because I’m getting threatening messages from eBay warning me not to do so-or else! I’m not a regular contributor on here (I’m more of a lurker), so I don’t know if the Kris who contacted me via eBay is a member here or not. However, I believe that there’s a really good chance that he is. (Where else do King collectors go?!) If anyone on here who sees this knows him, please pass this information on to him.

Thank you,
Michael

P.S.-I did a search on here for Kris and got a ton of results. I started to weed through the results, but it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack.

peripheral
06-08-2018, 03:36 AM
Hello all,

I wasn’t sure where to post this, so I decided this spot was as good as any. My first name is Michael and my eBay username is zoohim. A King collector named Kris recently initiated contact with me via eBay. I’ve been exchanging messages with him via eBay, but it’s a pain in the buttocks to do so via the eBay messaging system. I would prefer to message him via another method if possible (perhaps on here or via personal email), but I’m afraid to exchange contact information with him on eBay because I’m getting threatening messages from eBay warning me not to do so-or else! I’m not a regular contributor on here (I’m more of a lurker), so I don’t know if the Kris who contacted me via eBay is a member here or not. However, I believe that there’s a really good chance that he is. (Where else do King collectors go?!) If anyone on here who sees this knows him, please pass this information on to him.

Thank you,
Michael

P.S.-I did a search on here for Kris and got a ton of results. I started to weed through the results, but it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I think you're after webstar1000 ... He'll probably be in contact shortly ;)

And welcome!!

webstar1000
06-08-2018, 04:20 AM
Hello all,

Thank you,
Michael

I think you're after webstar1000 ... He'll probably be in contact shortly ;)

And welcome!!

it is!!!! We been talking King for a bit:) I will PM him. Thanks!!!

Ockhamistic
06-09-2018, 06:26 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me get in contact with Webstar, specifically “Peripheral” and one other friend who contacted me directly by way of a phone call. Thank you guys so much! TDT.org is great, because you people who use it are great!

Thank you!
Michael

Father Cody
06-11-2018, 03:47 PM
Has anyone here picked their S/L number? For example, you decided one day that you want to collect X. Or do most people run with the cards they’re dealt?

Randall Flagg
06-11-2018, 03:59 PM
I've done both.

Father Cody
06-11-2018, 04:35 PM
What do you have more of at this point? If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your chosen number? Curious how people pick it.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-11-2018, 06:25 PM
I picked 'Z' for IN MINT CONDITION, but in all other purchases relied on chance.

I have now added Robert De Niro's name right under Meryl Streep's, as actors whose movies I will never go to see again.

bdwyer19
06-11-2018, 06:43 PM
I picked 'Z' for IN MINT CONDITION, but in all other purchases relied on chance.

I have now added Robert De Niro's name right under Meryl Streep's, as actors whose movies I will never go to see again.

He was trying to make himself relevant again with his rant. I just looked at IMDB... he hasn’t had a decent movie in close to 20 years.

webstar1000
06-12-2018, 03:31 AM
Are you guys ok with the comments Trump made about our country and PM on the trade issue? I found it in pretty darn poor taste...

Father Cody
06-12-2018, 03:42 AM
Dammit. Please tell me political discussions are prohibited on TDT.

Room 217 Caretaker
06-12-2018, 04:13 AM

I know, right? I come here to be a part of the spirit of friendship and community in our DT group and to get far away from politics.

Mulleins

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-12-2018, 04:24 AM

He was trying to make himself relevant again with his rant. I just looked at IMDB... he hasn’t had a decent movie in close to 20 years.

I thought THE FAMILY was pretty spiffy.

Father Cody
06-12-2018, 04:30 AM

Don’t forget Machete! :lol:

WeDealInLead
06-12-2018, 04:30 AM

I know, right? I come here to be a part of the spirit of friendship and community in our DT group and to get far away from politics.

Mulleins

There's a General Political Discussion thread.

I don't think Webstar's question was necessarily political. As a Canadian, I too, am curious how American's perceive what Trump said.

Brian861
06-12-2018, 04:34 AM
If Ari's so inclined :)

Win A Real Dinosaur Tooth! (http://www.bullmoose.com/contestentry/178)

Father Cody
06-12-2018, 04:36 AM

Mulleins

I don't think Webstar's question was necessarily political. As a Canadian, I too am curious how American's perceive what Trump said.

Oh I don’t think Kris meant it that way either. I just don’t see how there’s anywhere to go from any question about Trump without getting into politics. Or at least without inciting political comments.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-12-2018, 04:39 AM

You're right! That movie killed me!

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-12-2018, 04:41 AM
Discussing politics, religion, and talking to one's neighbors is great exercise. All the yelling, swearing, jumping up and down and hand waving is a great cardio regimen.

Randall Flagg
06-12-2018, 04:43 AM
What do you have more of at this point? If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your chosen number? Curious how people pick it.
Non-matching numbers/letters.

WeDealInLead
06-12-2018, 04:43 AM
Discussing politics, religion, and talking to one's neighbors is great exercise. All the yelling, swearing, jumping up and down and hand waving is a great cardio regimen.

It's how I stay in shape. *

* plus stress, eating cleaning, and excercise

bdwyer19
06-12-2018, 04:44 AM

I thought his last good film was Analyze This, but mainly because of Billy Crystal.. all the way back to 1999. Just never been a fan. As for his politics, who cares!! So long as actors keep their politics off screen and musicians don’t rant during a concert, their political thoughts mean nothing to me.

Father Cody
06-12-2018, 04:49 AM
Lol today’s a big day, guys. I’m honored to report I’ve just received my first negative reputation point. Thanks to whoever made that anonymous contribution! Hmmm gee I wonder who it could’ve been. :rofl:

webstar1000
06-12-2018, 04:51 AM

Mulleins

I don't think Webstar's question was necessarily political. As a Canadian, I too, am curious how American's perceive what Trump said.

Yes, that was my intent. Wanted to see what my friends in he US thought of it.

Father Cody
06-12-2018, 04:53 AM

I thought his last good film was Analyze This, but mainly because of Billy Crystal.. all the way back to 1999. Just never been a fan. As for his politics, who cares!! So long as actors keep their politics off screen and musicians don’t rant during a concert, their political thoughts mean nothing to me.

I loved Analyze This, and I agree Billy Crystal was the one to watch. And I agree with actors sticking to acting.

Brian861
06-12-2018, 04:56 AM
Heat was pretty damn good IMO. But who doesn't love Pacino....

bdwyer19
06-12-2018, 05:19 AM

Ha! I almost mentioned that before. I consider De Niro and Pacino to be the same person because their roles are always so similar. I don’t like either of them!!!

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-12-2018, 05:28 AM
When U/M was publishing the Jack Vance books, I always asked Chuck Miller for an 'A' on the lettered editions, but they seem to have been reserved up to 'D'. So most of mine are 'E'. Of the ones I managed to purchase directly from him.

Just a random thought - I think Mr. De Niro is a great actor. I loved RONIN, GODFATHER 2, RAGING BULL, GOODFELLAS, TAXI DRIVER, THE KING OF COMEDY, THE DEER HUNTER, etc. But lately, he seems to have become very crass, foul-mouthed and just, well, not someone I'd want to go to church with (if I went to church, that is). I almost walked out of THE COMEDIAN, I could not believe the filth coming out of his mouth. I like jokes, but these were in such godawful poor taste I was cringing. Most of the movies listed as comedies these days affect me in the same way, so I skip them. Bottom line, it's just a matter of personal taste. I love PINEAPPLE EXPRESS, which sorta kinda fits in there, so I can't rationally explain it. But if we were all rational, this would be Utopia, wouldn't it?

Iwritecode
06-12-2018, 05:45 AM

Mulleins

Without getting too political, it really depends on who you ask. Some people will ignore or defend what he said. Some people with play the what-about game and try to compare it to things other people have said. Some people will say that it's horrible and they can't believe he said it.

Honestly, I try not to let actor's personal and political views or beliefs affect whether or not I watch their movies/TV shows or read their books, etc...

Father Cody
06-12-2018, 06:38 AM
When U/M was publishing the Jack Vance books, I always asked Chuck Miller for an 'A' on the lettered editions, but they seem to have been reserved up to 'D'. So most of mine are 'E'. Of the ones I managed to purchase directly from him.

Just a random thought - I think Mr. De Niro is a great actor. I loved RONIN, GODFATHER 2, RAGING BULL, GOODFELLAS, TAXI DRIVER, THE KING OF COMEDY, THE DEER HUNTER, etc. But lately, he seems to have become very crass, foul-mouthed and just, well, not someone I'd want to go to church with (if I went to church, that is). I almost walked out of THE COMEDIAN, I could not believe the filth coming out of his mouth. I like jokes, but these were in such godawful poor taste I was cringing. Most of the movies listed as comedies these days affect me in the same way, so I skip them. Bottom line, it's just a matter of personal taste. I love PINEAPPLE EXPRESS, which sorta kinda fits in there, so I can't rationally explain it. But if we were all rational, this would be Utopia, wouldn't it?

I see. I guess it’s moot for me when it comes to letters, being so late to the game. Goes for numbers too really. If I branch out to other less popular authors, maybe I could focus on a number. I don’t know, just seems like another layer of fun (and stress haha).

I loved Pineapple Express, too. Last good Seth Rogan comedy imo. Did you see Bad Grandpa? That was the first and only time De Niro made me really cringe. I’ll skip The Comedian now, though.

WeDealInLead
06-12-2018, 06:43 AM
[QUOTE=ur2ndbiggestfan;1111984]When U/M was publishing the Jack Vance books, I always asked Chuck Miller for an 'A' on the lettered editions

Said he, casually. So, whereabouts in Michigan are you? Hamtramck? Ypsi? Ann Arbor? Asking for a friend.

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-12-2018, 06:48 AM

I see. I guess it’s moot for me when it comes to letters, being so late to the game. Goes for numbers too really. If I branch out to other less popular authors, maybe I could focus on a number. I don’t know, just seems like another layer of fun (and stress haha).

I loved Pineapple Express, too. Last good Seth Rogan comedy imo. Did you see Bad Grandpa? That was the first and only time De Niro made me really cringe. I’ll skip The Comedian now, though.

Let's see. If I was standing at a fork in the road in sure danger of being run down by an out of control 18 wheeler, and I had to either go right, where fanged, slavering aliens from Planet X who lusted after my severed head, with which they were planning on doing obscene, unspeakable acts upon while using their advanced (EVIL) technology to keep my brain and noggin alive throughout the entire despicable process, waited for me; or right, where I'd have to go into a theater to view BAD GRAMPA, I'd hesitate.

Father Cody
06-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Just saw this on one of the Facebook groups:

“Brodart is having a 20% off consumable supplies (which includes Book Jacket covers) sale until 6/24. Use coupon code WEB20 at checkout. There does not appear to be a minimum amount for the coupon to apply. Go to shopbrodart.com”

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-12-2018, 01:02 PM
I didn't know until today that you could receive a negative reputation comment. Makes no sense to me at all. But I proudly got one from somebody. Where can I cash it in?

peripheral
06-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Factoid #97: Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino are two of the greatest actors the world has seen.

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Factoid #97: Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino are two of the greatest actors the world has seen.

I would agree with this statement :thumbsup:

Tommy
06-12-2018, 02:00 PM

I would agree with this statement :thumbsup:

I love him in Mean Streets, a film that doesn't get enough recognition IMHO.

Randall Flagg
06-12-2018, 02:14 PM
I didn't know until today that you could receive a negative reputation comment. Makes no sense to me at all. But I proudly got one from somebody. Where can I cash it in?
Any member who receives a non-attributed negative reputation is entitled to a once-in-a-lifetime* DT.ORG bookmark. Postage is the responsibility of the member**.

Once in a lifetime. Don't expect to get them every time someone else thinks you are an asshole.

Yes, you have to pay for the postage to receive a bookmaker that will remind you that someone else thought you were an asshole.

bdwyer19
06-12-2018, 02:51 PM
Al Pacino’s finest role, at least according to the short lived The Critic

https://youtu.be/m4nwhq1JARA

Father Cody
06-12-2018, 02:56 PM
Any member who receives a non-attributed negative reputation is entitled to a once-in-a-lifetime* DT.ORG bookmark. Postage is the responsibility of the member**.

Once in a lifetime. Don't expect to get them every time someone else thinks you are an asshole.

Yes, you have to pay for the postage to receive a bookmaker that will remind you that someone else thought you were an asshole.

Will you add a personalized inscription on mine, RF?

Merlin1958
06-12-2018, 03:23 PM

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Br!an
06-12-2018, 03:27 PM

Mulleins

There is a General Political Discussion thread, and this (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1690-General-Political-Discussion&p=1111761&viewfull=1#post1111761) is the beginning of this discussion on that thread. We do generally like to keep the political discussion on that thread. That way it's your own choice if you chose to participate.

That said... :evil:

Partisans will act as partisans. If a person is a Trump supporter at this point, after all of the heinous things he's done and is, there is probably nothing he could do to make them stop supporting him. Most Democrats will oppose anything Trump does or says simply because Hillary isn't President, and they are all butt-hurt about it, even though it's their own fault.

I'm sorry, :doh: it isn't Trump or Hillary's fault, we should all blame the Russians, or better yet, blame Canada! They're not even a real country anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA

Others, if they are intelligent and informed, are not happy with Trump's course of action. I haven't seen a single foreign government leader, a single economist or a single businessman come out in support of Trump's tariffs. It's causing nothing but problems and raising prices.

He simply has no idea what he's doing. It's either that, or he's an evil genius as well as a stable one. :nope:

I can't get steel to build a room in a commercial building (I'll get it 3-4 weeks from now) because the big corporations that use steel have all recently purchased several years worth of steel as a hedge against price increases. That action itself is driving up prices. They all expect huge price increases as tariffs start coming into effect. A local builder, who builds ~20 houses a year, bought enough steel packages for 100 houses. So the result of the threat of tariffs is price inflation before the tariffs even take effect.

webstar1000
06-12-2018, 03:38 PM

Mulleins

There is a General Political Discussion thread, and this (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1690-General-Political-Discussion&p=1111761&viewfull=1#post1111761) is the beginning of this discussion on that thread. We do generally like to keep the political discussion on that thread. That way it's your own choice if you chose to participate.

That said... :evil:

Partisans will act as partisans. If a person is a Trump supporter at this point, after all of the heinous things he's done and is, there is probably nothing he could do to make them stop supporting him. Most Democrats will oppose anything Trump does or says simply because Hillary isn't President, and they are all butt-hurt about it, even though it's their own fault. I'm sorry, :doh: it isn't Trump or Hillary's fault, we should all blame the Russians, or better yet, blame Canada! They're not even a real country anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA

Others, if they are intelligent and informed, are not happy with Trump's course of action. I haven't seen a single foreign government leader, a single economist or a single businessman come out in support of Trump's tariffs. It's causing nothing but problems and raising prices.

He simply has no idea what he's doing. It's either that, or he's an evil genius as well as a stable one. :nope:

I can't get steel to build a room in a commercial building (I'll get it 3-4 weeks from now) because the big corporations that use steel have all recently purchased several years worth of steel as a hedge against price increases. That action itself is driving up prices. They all expect huge price increases as tariffs start coming into effect. A local builder, who builds ~20 houses a year, bought enough steel packages for 100 houses. So the result of the threat of tariffs is price inflation before the tariffs even take effect.

Thanks Brian for the response. It was well written other than we are not a real country crack! Lol no in all seriousness I agree with you... still can’t make heads or tails of it...

Merlin1958
06-12-2018, 03:55 PM
"Others, if they are intelligent and informed, are not happy with Trump's course of action".

That's a bold statement and typical from the left. They believe they are the only ones able to read. I don't love Trump, but I don't like the alternatives either. Be that as it may, we have to take stock in a couple of years. Barack was no prize either and neither he or Hilary managed to get that lunatic in N. Korea to the table whatever comes of it.

I think one axiom most people forget (especially the media) is that in general it takes 4 years after a President leaves office to determine what if anything he accomplished. People still blame, Bush for '08 fall when it fact it was generated by, Mr. Clinton in the late 90's.

Anyway, you're right. This is not the thread to get into this stuff. How 'bout them Yankees????????

:YYY::YYY::YYY:

Br!an
06-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Thanks Brian for the response. It was well written other than we are not a real country crack! Lol no in all seriousness I agree with you... still can’t make heads or tails of it...

I don't agree with the "not a real country" crack myself. It was in the SP video. I was attempting to be sarcastic and humorous. That is an attitude taken by many US citizens though. We're the only reason that you aren't being attacked by Russia or China or whomever.

webstar1000
06-12-2018, 04:05 PM

I don't agree with the "not a real country" crack myself. It was in the SP video. I was attempting to be sarcastic and humorous. That is an attitude taken by many US citizens though. We're the only reason that you aren't being attacked by Russia or China or whomever.

Yeah I knew you were kidding on that. Haha and we are such a nice people.. why would anyone want to attach us? Haha and we have good beer and hockey. Don’t forget that. Lol

Merlin1958
06-12-2018, 04:09 PM
All we get from Canada is hockey players, a weird bacon and comedians!!! lol j/k lol

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-12-2018, 04:11 PM

Yeah I knew you were kidding on that. Haha and we are such a nice people.. why would anyone want to attach us? Haha and we have good beer and hockey. Don’t forget that. Lol

Canada also gave us....
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180613/c9de712e572764491ccc2fa36852c6a0.jpg

Merlin1958
06-12-2018, 04:12 PM

Canada also gave us....
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180613/c9de712e572764491ccc2fa36852c6a0.jpg

Drink mixers? lol

Tommy
06-12-2018, 08:54 PM
8 years old!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cozHT9QaFJo

Hunchback Jack
06-12-2018, 09:33 PM
If I'm buying volumes in a set from the publisher direct, I almost always ask for matching numbers/letters. I don't always *get* them, mind, but I ask :) .

If I'm buying on the secondary market, I expect to get whatever number/letter I get. I keep an eye out for matches when I remember to, but I have never found a match.

HBJ

Tommy
06-12-2018, 09:43 PM
If I'm buying volumes in a set from the publisher direct, I almost always ask for matching numbers/letters. I don't always *get* them, mind, but I ask :) .

If I'm buying on the secondary market, I expect to get whatever number/letter I get. I keep an eye out for matches when I remember to, but I have never found a match.

HBJ

I collect a specific number for King and one time a British publisher sent me the number I collect without me asking. I thought I was hallucinating when I opened the book. I had intended to sell it as I was sure I wouldn't get my number but I did. That'll never happen again but man, it was a collector's rush for sure!

I collect a specific number for King just because it makes the game a bit more fun for me. I can pass easily on books and items that are not my number but when I do find something with my number, I MUST have it. It's fun to me.

Hunchback Jack
06-12-2018, 10:00 PM
8 years old!

Man, she rocks. Really getting into the music, too.

herbertwest
06-13-2018, 12:13 AM
I wanted to send some ereputations, but it tells me that I must "spread" some before giving some away.
That doesnt make sense, does it? I must give some before being able to give some?

Tommy
06-13-2018, 12:16 AM
I wanted to send some ereputations, but it tells me that I must "spread" some before giving some away.
That doesnt make sense, does it? I must give some before being able to give some?

It means you have to give reputation to some different people before giving it to the same person again. I'm not sure how many people but it's more than a few.

herbertwest
06-13-2018, 02:10 AM
So that means that I did already give erep points to that same person and therefore I cannot send this person some more points, before I send to some others?

peripheral
06-13-2018, 02:15 AM
8 years old!

Man, she rocks. Really getting into the music, too.

#PARENTINGGOALS... :rock:

Room 217 Caretaker
06-13-2018, 02:53 AM
That's fantastic. Made me smile :)

Mulleins

Tommy
06-13-2018, 03:02 AM
So that means that I did already give erep points to that same person and therefore I cannot send this person some more points, before I send to some others?

Correct.

Br!an
06-13-2018, 04:43 AM

Correct.

Here is what RF had to say on the matter...

What are the rules regarding positive/negative feedback? I keep on getting the message that I'm not spreading it around enough. How many times or to how many people does it need to be spread to before I can just give someone a little positive rep on the side?

The numbers can be changed, but the current settings are:

Daily Reputation Clicks Limit
How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period? Administrators are exempt from this limit: 10

Reputation User Spread
How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? Administrators are exempt from this limit: 20

St. Troy
06-13-2018, 05:54 AM

...with socks on.

Brian861
06-13-2018, 01:04 PM

Ha! I almost mentioned that before. I consider De Niro and Pacino to be the same person because their roles are always so similar. I don’t like either of them!!!

:cry:

:)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/TDT_ORG_Postcard_Signed.JPG

jeffingoff
06-14-2018, 04:06 AM
Anyone know an admin on the Stephen King Constant Reader's Fan Club on Facebook? I got bounced and blocked from the group and I really have no idea why. I was hoping someone could smuggle me an answer or give me a contact so I can at least find out what I did. Maybe I have a hidden identity who goes on Facebook and spews vile things. It bums me out. That group was one of two reasons I even have a Facebook account.

Any help would be appreciated.

herbertwest
06-14-2018, 06:52 AM
Looks like there is only 1 admin : https://www.facebook.com/denise.harris.3950?fref=gm&dti=1242973675737144&hc_location=group

jeffingoff
06-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Looks like there is only 1 admin : https://www.facebook.com/denise.harris.3950?fref=gm&dti=1242973675737144&hc_location=group

Thank you! I'll drop her a very polite note. If I can't get back in, then maybe I can know why.

herbertwest
06-14-2018, 08:34 AM
No problems. Otherwise, frankly there are a ton of other King facebook groups, so... ;)

Father Cody
06-14-2018, 08:48 AM
No problems. Otherwise, frankly there are a ton of other King facebook groups, so... ;)

You’re right, there’s a bunch. I can understand why he wants back into this one though. As far as King fan groups go, this is the big one with the most action.

webstar1000
06-14-2018, 09:06 AM

You’re right, there’s a bunch. I can understand why he wants back into this one though. As far as King fan groups go, this is the big one with the most action.

Adam, this one is for ALL things though.. not just books and collecting? I am not in that one..

Father Cody
06-14-2018, 09:11 AM

Adam, this one is for ALL things though.. not just books and collecting? I am not in that one..

Yes, all things. There aren’t too many collecting conversations that I’ve seen, though. It’s more of a fan group. But in my experience so far it leans more towards his books than the movies.

webstar1000
06-14-2018, 09:15 AM

Yes, all things. There aren’t too many collecting conversations that I’ve seen, though. It’s more of a fan group. But in my experience so far it leans more towards his books than the movies.

nice thanks man. :)

Jimimck
06-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Anyone know an admin on the Stephen King Constant Reader's Fan Club on Facebook? I got bounced and blocked from the group and I really have no idea why. I was hoping someone could smuggle me an answer or give me a contact so I can at least find out what I did. Maybe I have a hidden identity who goes on Facebook and spews vile things. It bums me out. That group was one of two reasons I even have a Facebook account.

Hi Jeff.
That's my group. I'm an admin there.

We usually keep a track of who/why people get removed but I can't see a Jeff Goff on the list. Is that your FB name? It's usually for a political post or comment add they are banned in that group. I'm just getting ready for work but pm me and I'll look in to it for you later today.

James

Room 217 Caretaker
06-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Hi Jeff.
That's my group. I'm an admin there.

We usually keep a track of who/why people get removed but I can't see a Jeff Goff on the list. Is that your FB name? It's usually for a political post or comment add they are banned in that group. I'm just getting ready for work but pm me and I'll look in to it for you later today.

James

Hey Jeff

If you get reinstated, just remember, next time you get your newest King item that excites you, don't strip down naked and run around in front of your webcam, this FB group doesn't like that.

Mulleins