PDA

View Full Version : Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98

herbertwest
05-08-2016, 12:06 AM
By the way, my wife has seen Guns n Roses a few years back in Glasgow. Axel was being an arsehole as apparently the concert started 3h later because he would have flown some food from London because he wanted it before the concert.
She managed to get her money back, but I hope that he wont be such an arse again...

Yes, apparently Axl's been behaving himself of late. My main issue with Axl having anything to do with ACDC is just that - their difference in rock attitude. ACDC are simple, no nonsense, "blue singlet" working class; and Axl is a primmadonna (though I love him). And yes - Malcolm, as you know, was the engine room, primary riff writer for ACDC - last year it was revealed he has dementia and is now in full time residential care. He doesn't even remember how to play a guitar. Very sad.

Be sure to review the gig for us!

The first concert was yesterday in portugal. i read mixed reviews, but people mostly seem OK with Axel's voice.
But one other thing : his leg is immobilised so he is singing... sitting.... wonderful.

Some videos from last night :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfrj1z7q3YI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihwxVXSxgK8

peripheral
05-08-2016, 01:12 AM
By the way, my wife has seen Guns n Roses a few years back in Glasgow. Axel was being an arsehole as apparently the concert started 3h later because he would have flown some food from London because he wanted it before the concert.
She managed to get her money back, but I hope that he wont be such an arse again...

Yes, apparently Axl's been behaving himself of late. My main issue with Axl having anything to do with ACDC is just that - their difference in rock attitude. ACDC are simple, no nonsense, "blue singlet" working class; and Axl is a primmadonna (though I love him). And yes - Malcolm, as you know, was the engine room, primary riff writer for ACDC - last year it was revealed he has dementia and is now in full time residential care. He doesn't even remember how to play a guitar. Very sad.

Be sure to review the gig for us!

The first concert was yesterday in portugal. i read mixed reviews, but people mostly seem OK with Axel's voice.
But one other thing : his leg is immobilised so he is singing... sitting.... wonderful.

Some videos from last night :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfrj1z7q3YI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihwxVXSxgK8

I've read reviews praising his singing but watching these clips, it sounds 10% beyond his capacity and style. And sitting - just wrong. Did you see the extremely awkward interview with Cliff, Angus and Axl explaining Brian's departure? So staged for damage control...and so... awkward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEbh_Tl8V64

biomieg
05-08-2016, 03:16 AM
I just hope they're not going to release any albums with Mr. Rose. That would taint their legacy forever.

peripheral
05-08-2016, 03:25 AM
I just hope they're not going to release any albums with Mr. Rose. That would taint their legacy forever.

Oh god yes, that would be a travesty, but I doubt they will. Malcolm gone, now Brian - I think they have enough insight to know, their glorious run is done.

And I just saw the set list with Axl. They played Rock N Roll Damnation! That's rare and huge. Powerage is probably my favourite album. I've seen them 8 times and I can honestly say that it's the same set list with a rotation of only 2-3 songs off the whatever album they're currently touring on. I've wished they would do a tour with a set list of all the NEXT level classics. Something from Fly on the Wall, Flick of the Switch, Powerage, etc. They've got enough greatness for 2-3 solid set lists. But alas - that day will never come.

Rahfa
05-08-2016, 06:00 AM
I saw AC/DC last year with Johnson, and they were great - but yeah, it was the same setlist I saw the LAST time I saw them - in 2000, other than a couple changes. I love some of the songs off Fly in the Wall or Flick of the Switch, and it's like they never happened. I don't think they even played Who Made Who this time.

I didn't think Axl's voice was great for those songs, and the throne is just bizarre - the whole point of Axl was the dancing around. But whatever. I get that they didn't have a choice.

I doubt they'd ever do an album with him - but I would see this tour just for the heck of it. I don't think any of the rescheduled dates will be near me though.

I do want to see the GNR reunion, though.

herbertwest
05-08-2016, 08:43 AM
From what I read, Brian will continue with the group to record new albums, and MAY do some more tour later in the future if his health allows it. I dont hold my breath for it though...

ke7285
05-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Axyl is so-so, I have seen AC/DC numerous time in Detroit where they loved to play. I to a Gun's and Rose's show once didn't stay for the whole show. The warm up band was excellent Metallica and the halftime show was also good, they hired a few strippers to come to the show and panned live video to the big screens with these and other ladies showing there ta-ta's. This was the second time seeing Metallica, 1st was at a small bar inside a bowling in the Detroit area it was great!

carlosdetweiller
05-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Do any of you "follow" anyone else on eBay or have someone "following" you? I'm not sure how it works and what you can "see" or not "see." A few years ago (but after eBay started partially obscuring bidders names) I won an auction for a men's magazine from the 1970's. It was in the adult or mature listings. It had a Koontz or Bradbury story or something but not a King story. Within an hour of winning the auction I had an e-mail from someone wanting to know if I had found some unknown King story in the magazine. I thought, WTF? How can someone even "see" the partially obscure bidders and know that it was me that won, especially in the adult (or private) section?

The other day I was looking for something under my eBay profile section and I found that I have five "followers." I recognize some of the usernames.

Do any of you do this? Can you follow someone's bids while they are bidding or can you just see completed auctions? Can anyone explain exactly how this works?

Aronstg
05-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Bob,

I actually follow a few ebay sellers. By following them I am able to see their new listings on the Ebay homepage. I don't believe I am able to follow their bids though. I just use it for new listings.

Perhaps you have sold some King items in the past and some people decided to follow you so they could see future listings?

Brian861
05-08-2016, 12:23 PM
I do follow several sellers (including our own RF) that I've good experiences with. I've never gone as far as to see what they're bidding on (didn't realize one could do that either). I only check to see what they're selling or to ask if they have something I'm looking for. May have to change some stuff in your privacy settings if folks are actually tracking your bids. Never have had it happen to me personally.

carlosdetweiller
05-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Bob,

I actually follow a few ebay sellers. By following them I am able to see their new listings on the Ebay homepage. I don't believe I am able to follow their bids though. I just use it for new listings.

Perhaps you have sold some King items in the past and some people decided to follow you so they could see future listings?

Perhaps. That makes sense. But it doesn't explain (or at least I don't think it does) how someone knew I was the high bidder on an item (magazine) listed in the adult or mature section. Does it?

Aronstg
05-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Bob,

Perhaps. That makes sense. But it doesn't explain (or at least I don't think it does) how someone knew I was the high bidder on an item (magazine) listed in the adult or mature section. Does it?

Well not on the surface no.. but they could have gotten creative. I'm not sure what the transparency was back when this happened. If someone was already following you they could have matched up the item with feedback.. if you left feedback for the seller and the person was watching that auction they could have connected the dots. They might have contacted the seller and asked who bought it. That seller might have given them your ebay ID.

There are a few things that could have happened. I don't think it was due to followers though.

carlosdetweiller
05-08-2016, 01:53 PM
It wasn't done by feedback because I was contacted by this person about an hour after the auction closed. I should probably just ask him as he is an infrequent poster on this site.

Br!an
05-08-2016, 02:02 PM
I think that "following" you isn't necessarily the way they figured out it was you. Although that could have helped.

Interested parties could figure it out.

If they follow you as a seller then it's easy to see your feedback and they know your username. Or say you win an auction and you mention it on here. I can go to eBay and see who won that auction. I'll get a couple of letters of your username and your feedback score. If I happen to be watching a particular auction and your feedback score and a couple letters of your username is bidding then I can assume it's you.

Br!an
05-08-2016, 02:04 PM
It wasn't done by feedback because I was contacted by this person about an hour after the auction closed. I should probably just ask him as he is an infrequent poster on this site.

What I meant by feedback is your feedback score.

carlosdetweiller
05-08-2016, 03:18 PM

Possibly. But the auction didn't mention King (or Koontz or Bradbury or whoever I bought the magazine for). So it would be highly unlikely the person was following that specific auction. How else could he have known I was the high bidder? And, as I said, he contacted me before I even had time to pay, let alone receive feedback. It had to have started with somehow searching or following me as a bidder/buyer. Add to that the fact that it was in the mature, adult section where, I think, bidders identities remain private. Oh well, it's not that big of a deal. It is just something that has puzzled me for a while now.

Fsmdr
05-08-2016, 04:53 PM
I just looked and I have 6 follower in my ebay account. None of the username is familiar to me.

herbertwest
05-09-2016, 12:22 AM
I have no idea about what happened. But you didnt give an answer to us about his question :)

Tommy
05-09-2016, 05:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaGgMDfbq9k

Rahfa
05-09-2016, 05:14 PM

Possibly. But the auction didn't mention King (or Koontz or Bradbury or whoever I bought the magazine for). So it would be highly unlikely the person was following that specific auction. How else could he have known I was the high bidder? And, as I said, he contacted me before I even had time to pay, let alone receive feedback. It had to have started with somehow searching or following me as a bidder/buyer. Add to that the fact that it was in the mature, adult section where, I think, bidders identities remain private. Oh well, it's not that big of a deal. It is just something that has puzzled me for a while now.

This won't be helpful because I can't remember how I did it, but I was able to determine a bidder even though the names were semi-private.

I can't remember what the work-around was...but it was possible with some effort.

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-09-2016, 05:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaGgMDfbq9k

Yeah that was...different. I really just think of it as "Axl Rose does karaoke"

carlosdetweiller
05-09-2016, 06:05 PM

This won't be helpful because I can't remember how I did it, but I was able to determine a bidder even though the names were semi-private.

I can't remember what the work-around was...but it was possible with some effort.

I asked the person directly in an e-mail how he found out what I had bought. It was done via feedback and my memory (as is often the case) is likely wrong. I suspect I paid the seller immediately after the auction was over and the seller probably left feedback for me just as quickly. It was probably just fortuitous that the person searched my username shortly after feedback was left. He saw the recent feedback and went to the seller's ID and looked for a bidder with the same feedback number as me, found one and then knew the item I had just bought.

peripheral
05-10-2016, 12:48 AM
Yeah, that's a good analogy Chad. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this to you before, but you know what I think they should have done? Different legend-status singer every night... :rock:

amd013
05-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Ok, wasn't sure which thread to put this in, but this seems like as good a place as any, especially with all the talk about Axl Rose lattely.

So several months ago I bought a grab bag or book club from Cemetery Dance, and one of the books was "The Language of Fear" by Del James. I was recently looking for a new book to read, and picked this one up to consider. The first thing I do is read the dust Jacket and inspect the table of contents. I was immediately turned off by the fact the introduction was written by Axl Rose. I have very little respect for him. I have heard too many stories about starting concerts 2 or 3 hours late. Also his role in the riots in Montreal http://www.askmen.com/top_10/entertainment/top-10-canadian-riots_5.html is shameful. At any rate, I was willing to just skip the introduction, but then I flipped to the back cover where the Author Bio/photo was. The photo is of the author flipping the bird. I guess that really turned me off, and I decided not to read it. I figured if the Author has no respect for his readers, why should I waste my time on him.

Just curious if any one else has ever decided not to read a book (especially one you already owned) due to a similar issue (i.e. you judged a book by its cover, so to speak).

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Yeah, that's a good analogy Chad. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this to you before, but you know what I think they should have done? Different legend-status singer every night... :rock:

I could've got behind that considering the circumstances (especially when the alternative is apparently Axl freakin' Rose). Honestly with having the commitments they had, I wish they would've just tabbed Sebastian Bach for a fill-in. As far as the future goes, If Brian can't continue then just call it a career for crying out loud.:pullhair:

Tommy
05-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Jackyl's singer might have been a better choice.

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Jackyl's singer might have been a better choice.

I agree Dupree would've worked especially considering they've collaborated before

Iwritecode
05-10-2016, 01:24 PM
Jim Breuer could've filled in as well. :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SggV-XFKQ1w

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Haha yeah he probably actually could've. I just don't know what the actual truth with the split was, it seems like Angus and Brian had differing opinions on how it went down and with Breuer being close with Brian, that might not have been a possibility. I'm sure the fan base would've responded well to the news bulletin " AC/DC new singer...Jim Breuer!":emot-roflolmao:

Patrick
05-10-2016, 04:29 PM
Damn, he's good!

Ben Staad
05-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Much better than that clip of Axl.

allasorte
05-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Been an amazing night. My Penguins beat the thug Capitals in overtime to go to the next round against Tampa for hockey. Not sure why hockey isn't huge in the states as it is so dramatic and fun to watch. Pens!

Anyway, do people here shop on dealnews.com at all? There is a fantastic deal on a 6 tool Makita power tool set for 399.99 free shipping on Ebay noted on dealnews.com. No idea how long it will last but if anyone is looking for a top notch tool set, this was a great deal. I had to get one as I need a new set. I had to share that/this.

webstar1000
05-13-2016, 10:41 AM
OMG!! So guess what me little print show just got the job for?????????????????? The printing for NONE OTHER THAN THE MIST!!!!!!!!!!! The new TV show! Super pumped!

Theli
05-13-2016, 10:45 AM
OMG!! So guess what me little print show just got the job for?????????????????? The printing for NONE OTHER THAN THE MIST!!!!!!!!!!! The new TV show! Super pumped!

Bad ass! Congrats bro! What are you printing, posters?

webstar1000
05-13-2016, 10:47 AM

Not sure how much I can tell yet BUT I am asking what I can say legally and you ALL KNOW I WILL SHARE:):):) But its a good deal for my store!

Aronstg
05-13-2016, 10:55 AM

Not sure how much I can tell yet BUT I am asking what I can say legally and you ALL KNOW I WILL SHARE:):):) But its a good deal for my store!

Great news Kris and congrats! That is awesome for both you professionally and personally.

zelig
05-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Congrats Kris!

webstar1000
05-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Oh I think it super cool. I will share details if I am allowed and hopefully I will be visiting the set this summer:)

carlosdetweiller
05-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Congratulations, Kris! That is intriguing news. Will anxiously await any news you can share.

bdwyer19
05-13-2016, 11:06 AM
That's very cool Kris! Can't wait to hear more details.

Theli
05-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Oh I think it super cool. I will share details if I am allowed and hopefully I will be visiting the set this summer:)

That's so great! Even I'm getting excited for you! haha

wizardsrainbow
05-13-2016, 01:21 PM
AWESOME Kris!!

Ari_Racing
05-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Super cool! Congratulations! :)

peripheral
05-13-2016, 01:51 PM
That's awesome. Bet there'll be a new spring in your step at work!

peripheral
05-13-2016, 01:56 PM
In light of this thread's recent rock tangent, I had to share this FB post. Honestly, what a legend...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/SK_FB.png

The Library Policeman
05-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Congratulations, Kris! Great news. :)

wolfehr
05-13-2016, 02:36 PM
I concur. That's awesome. Congrats Kris!!

Brian861
05-13-2016, 09:46 PM

Nice, Kris! Great for you and 'The Shop' :). Now, PM me and let's talk about hookin' a brother up ;).

Brian861
05-13-2016, 09:54 PM
In light of this thread's recent rock tangent, I had to share this FB post. Honestly, what a legend...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/SK_FB.png

Rock on, Mr. King! :rock:

Patrick
05-13-2016, 10:32 PM
How exciting, Kris! Looking forward to hearing more about it.

peripheral
05-14-2016, 12:29 AM
I just heard that Graff beer (yes, based on the Dark Tower) is being featured in a Sydney beer, cider and food festival next weekend. Seems new - is this a "thing" in the US, or new to you too?

https://www.timeout.com/sydney/bars/gabs-2016-beer-cider-and-food-fest

http://brewerschoice.com.au/graff-cider-beer-hybrid/

herbertwest
05-14-2016, 10:18 AM
About the "almost" ACDC gig from last night that I saw at the south of France :
- Axel looks fatter, and it's weird to see a rockstar sitting (he definitely wanted to move about)
- Axel's voice was a bit annoying : IMO he was constantly on the same "tone" of voice, high pitched, when speaking, screaming or singing. Also, the words were not always distinctable contrary to Brian's
- Some of the people I went with after meeting them at a youth hostel I was staying at were "seduced" by the voice and thought it was "rejuvenating" the band, allowing to play songs they didnt played in many years
- Angus still fucking rocks !
- The concert was freaking fun! It was the first one I did in a giant stadium, and it was pretty full. Quite amazing to see by night the flashing horns everywhere.

The setlist is available here (with youtube links for the original songs)
>>> http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/acdc/2016/stade-velodrome-marseille-france-2bf15c6a.html

Some pix & vids are available on this facebook page
>>> https://www.facebook.com/h2acdcofficiel/?fref=ts

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/13233121_10154150950747930_8502761258580812597_n.j pg?oh=d28036262ee7b673e74769f25869bb18&oe=57A2CCFA

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiaD-kKXIAM95GC.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiaD-klWEAAE9Nz.jpg:large

Brian861
05-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Thanks for sharing. Looks like it was an awesome even without some of the key members. Never did get a chance to see this band live but has always been one of my favorites.

peripheral
05-14-2016, 01:22 PM
About the "almost" ACDC gig from last night that I saw at the south of France :
- Axel looks fatter, and it's weird to see a rockstar sitting (he definitely wanted to move about)
- Axel's voice was a bit annoying : IMO he was constantly on the same "tone" of voice, high pitched, when speaking, screaming or singing. Also, the words were not always distinctable contrary to Brian's
- Some of the people I went with after meeting them at a youth hostel I was staying at were "seduced" by the voice and thought it was "rejuvenating" the band, allowing to play songs they didnt played in many years
- Angus still fucking rocks !
- The concert was freaking fun! It was the first one I did in a giant stadium, and it was pretty full. Quite amazing to see by night the flashing horns everywhere.

The setlist is available here (with youtube links for the original songs)
>>> http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/acdc/2016/stade-velodrome-marseille-france-2bf15c6a.html

Some pix & vids are available on this facebook page
>>> https://www.facebook.com/h2acdcofficiel/?fref=ts

https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/13233121_10154150950747930_8502761258580812597_n.j pg?oh=d28036262ee7b673e74769f25869bb18&oe=57A2CCFA

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiaD-kKXIAM95GC.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiaD-klWEAAE9Nz.jpg:large

Great review - thank you. Looks spectacular. And they played "If you want blood" which would have been a treat. The one thing they seem to be doing with Axl is bringing out some rarely played stuff, which is badly needed for their tours. I think your comment about Axl's "one tone" is spot on - from the footage I've seen. Sounds like it was worth it, at least.

idlewarnings
05-15-2016, 05:22 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/13178954_10153678463895735_5568393929887111011_n.j pg

Did anyone else in Minnesota catch the premiere of The Shining opera? We went last night. All opera strikes me as slightly ridiculous, even when the music and singing are top notch. With the libretto in English and based on a Stephen King novel, the absurdity reached a new level for me. I still really enjoyed it. The set design and lighting and staging were top notch. The old woman in 217 and the masquerade party were creepy and well done. Nothing about the music really stood out to me. I think I ended up following the dialogue more than listening to the music. The whole 1 week run was sold out. I don't know what happens to the show now.

Here's a more detailed review from the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
http://www.startribune.com/shining-opera-premiere-is-scary-good/378585276/

Shannon
05-15-2016, 08:02 PM
Has anyone seen the Stephen King/Michael Jackson/Mick Garris/Stan Winston collaboration Ghosts?

Just watched it for the first time, and while I was hoping for a non-extended music video, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.Michael Jackson's acting was top notch in The Wiz (which, for better or worse, has somehow become a staple in our house for the past month or so, lol) so I went seeking out his other acting jobs. We all knew him as an amazing singer and dancer, one of the best, but he was a damn good actor as well.

Tommy
05-15-2016, 08:16 PM
He did a LOT of acting in his life apparently.

Room 217 Caretaker
05-16-2016, 03:08 AM
Has anyone seen the Stephen King/Michael Jackson/Mick Garris/Stan Winston collaboration Ghosts?

Just watched it for the first time, and while I was hoping for a non-extended music video, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.Michael Jackson's acting was top notch in The Wiz (which, for better or worse, has somehow become a staple in our house for the past month or so, lol) so I went seeking out his other acting jobs. We all knew him as an amazing singer and dancer, one of the best, but he was a damn good actor as well.

When the movie Thinner premiered, they showed "Ghost" as an opener.

I enjoyed it myself as well. It would have been cool to see it on the big screen with surround sound.

Mulleins

Merlin1958
05-16-2016, 09:06 AM
Yankees are in Arizona, beginning this evening!!! I have tickets for all three games. Merlin IV's first "Yankee" games!!!! Tonight we will turn, Chase Field into "The Bronx West"!!! Last time the Diamondback season ticket holders were pretty miffed. Especially when they did "Role Call"!!! LOL :YYY::YYY::YYY:

T-Dogz_AK47
05-16-2016, 10:38 AM
Yankees are in Arizona, beginning this evening!!! I have tickets for all three games. Merlin IV's first "Yankee" games!!!! Tonight we will turn, Chase Field into "The Bronx West"!!! Last time the Diamondback season ticket holders were pretty miffed. Especially when they did "Role Call"!!! LOL :YYY::YYY::YYY:

I hope you're gonna wear the Derek Jeter shirt to these games! LOL! :YYY:

Merlin1958
05-17-2016, 12:19 AM

I hope you're gonna wear the Derek Jeter shirt to these games! LOL! :YYY:

But, of course!!! In fact, many fans asked after it. I didn't tell them where it came from except to say, "A like minded fan & a very good friend". We lost tonight, but there are still 2 more games to go!!! :YYY::YYY:

Kind of a "weak" line up tonight, but they are playing multiple games in a row. Let's see how it goes tomorrow!!!!! :YYY::YYY::YYY:

shaq
05-17-2016, 03:18 AM
One for the uk guys..

Over the last few days checking Amazon UK for the kindle version of Joe Hills Tha Fireman, and it shows as release date of 2nd June.

But when I ordered it on my kindle, it placed the order with 'Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.' which has a release date of today, and downloaded this morning. To confirm it isn't a pink kindle either :eek:

Not sure if this is old news to you guys but was expecting another 2 weeks wait for this.

Cheers.

shaq
05-17-2016, 05:49 AM
Well,

I'm having a Joe Hill day today. Searching for limited edition of The Fireman, and came across a list of uk tour dates.

Seems like he is coming to my corner of the world. Bagged me a ticket for £3 to hear a talk and signing.

Cool.

jreitan47
05-17-2016, 08:12 AM
Grrrrrrrrr :pullhair:

Didn't want to post my latest frustration in the "Avoid ebay sellers, etc." thread because it really isn't a particular seller problem and my purchases have been refunded and all's good...but....

Lately I've been trying to find a FINDERS KEEPERS large print edition (for my reading copies shelf), and the last two I've purchased through eBay have all the proper large print info included such as publisher (Thorn Dike), ISBN, etc. and when I receive them I get the regular Scribner hardbacks from the seller. Each time (twice in three weeks), the seller has apologized and refunded and didn't ask me to mail the book back, and they said they don't know what happened and why the large print edition was included in their listings. Just frustrated is all...not out any money, but it seems you have to so careful with what you buy these days, ask lots of questions and lots of additional pics. This seems to be happening a lot on ABE as well. Saw a post for a TOMMYKNOCKERS "large print" from publisher G.K. Hall on there recently. When I inquired about it, it turned out be just a regular Putnam hardback.

zelig
05-17-2016, 08:17 AM
I've had similar experiences with other books. Abe can be a minefield. Asking questions can help but that is also challenging because many sellers are uncooperative when it comes to answering questions. If it helps, I got my FK large prints from Amazon. There's a hardcover and a softcover.

jreitan47
05-17-2016, 08:25 AM
I've had similar experiences with other books. Abe can be a minefield. Asking questions can help but that is also challenging because many sellers are uncooperative when it comes to answering questions. If it helps, I got my FK large prints from Amazon. There's a hardcover and a softcover.

Yeah, I'm getting rather fed up with ABE. Bought a book last week and order was immediately cancelled because they realized they didn't even have it in stock and it seems I'm always asking for pics and only half the time the sellers will cooperate. Thanks for the Amazon info, I'll check there!

zelig
05-17-2016, 08:48 AM
Makes me think of this response I got recently from an eBay seller after asking a question about the book. There was no previous dialogue prior to receiving this response. I asked a question and this was the reply.

"The spine & page edges are in fine condition. I'm not taking photos of them and sending them to you. Either take my word or don't, bid on the book or don't, I really don't care."

jreitan47
05-17-2016, 08:50 AM
Makes me think of this response I got recently from an eBay seller after asking a question about the book. There was no previous dialogue prior to receiving this response. I asked a question and this was the reply.

"The spine & page edges are in fine condition. I'm not taking photos of them and sending them to you. Either take my word or don't, bid on the book or don't, I really don't care."

Wow, how rude! Makes buying books online so much harder when they won't cooperate! So thankful that we have Betts, a seller we can trust.

Tommy
05-17-2016, 09:39 AM

That person sounds horrible and the last sort that should be selling books.

herbertwest
05-18-2016, 03:31 AM
Any idea of the first print run of FINDERS KEEPERS? Both US & UK?

Ari_Racing
05-18-2016, 01:10 PM
I'm about to take a flight to London and spend two days there. The I'll head to Leeds for the company's conference for five days, and on the following Saturday I'll be back in London for the weekend. On Monday's afternoon I'll fly to NYC to spend 24 hours to visit the city again (third time!) and (of course!) purchase a lot of stuff. :)

Wish me luck!

carlosdetweiller
05-18-2016, 01:14 PM
Good luck, Ari! I hope you have a great and safe trip.

herbertwest
05-18-2016, 01:25 PM
I'm about to take a flight to London and spend two days there. The I'll head to Leeds for the company's conference for five days, and on the following Saturday I'll be back in London for the weekend. On Monday's afternoon I'll fly to NYC to spend 24 hours to visit the city again (third time!) and (of course!) purchase a lot of stuff. :)

Wish me luck!

Are you going to visit any publisher friends? :)

Ari_Racing
05-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks, Bob!

@Jeremy: No, sadly she's on holidays so it'll have to be next year :)

herbertwest
05-18-2016, 01:29 PM
I know that she's on holidays, I have tried to email her since.
What about the other publisher? ;)

Ari_Racing
05-18-2016, 01:31 PM
I didn't plan to do so... but who knows. :)

Brice
05-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Bruno/John Blaze has been a part of our dt family on basically all the dt sites for many years. The other day their house burned down. He and his family are okay, but they basically lost everything. Please help him if you can. Anything helps. Love y'all! https://www.gofundme.com/24uss5vs

ladysai
05-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Sad news!
Thanks for letting us know how to help, Brice.
-huggles-

Brice
05-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Sad news!
Thanks for letting us know how to help, Brice.
-huggles-

Absolutely my pleasure! Love you!
-huggles-

Shannon
05-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know if he has kids or if it is just him and his wife? I couldn't 100% tell by the gofundme description. Thanks.

Brice
05-19-2016, 05:25 PM
Yes, they have at least two or three.

_PCC_
05-20-2016, 09:29 PM
I will never pay physical dollars to see this movie. If they're going to make all these changes what's the point? Who are these characters? They really shouldn't call this The Dark Tower at this point. Calling this crap Dark Tower is really just a marketing gimmick now. I will never pay actual money to see this. Thank you BitTorrent! I urge all Dark Tower fans not to pay physical dollars to see this crap. The only way to make our voices heard is to vote with our money! I know it's tempting to pay $12 for a movie ticket with that title but Don't Do It! The torrent will be out 3 months later then we can all shit all over the movie and the poor casting decisions - although it's tough to say these are poor casting decisions when most of these cast members aren't in the books. What a load of crap!

Brian861
05-20-2016, 09:57 PM
I will never pay physical dollars to see this movie. If they're going to make all these changes what's the point? Who are these characters? They really shouldn't call this The Dark Tower at this point. Calling this crap Dark Tower is really just a marketing gimmick now. I will never pay actual money to see this. Thank you BitTorrent! I urge all Dark Tower fans not to pay physical dollars to see this crap. The only way to make our voices heard is to vote with our money! I know it's tempting to pay $12 for a movie ticket with that title but Don't Do It! The torrent will be out 3 months later then we can all shit all over the movie and the poor casting decisions - although it's tough to say these are poor casting decisions when most of these cast members aren't in the books. What a load of crap!

Would it be ok to pay in virtual dollars or monopoly money since physical dollars and actual money is a no go? Can't say that I've ever be tempted to pay $12 to see a movie. I'm usually cheap and attend a matinee during the week when the crowds are smaller. I'm also going to opt-out on the shit invite. You may also wish to direct future posts to The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation. (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10517-The-Dark-Tower-series-filmed-adaptation&p=1001012#post1001012) Maybe there you can recruit more fellow shitters. Shitters :orely: Think I read about such folks in a book once. It escapes me now however.

_PCC_
05-20-2016, 10:56 PM

Would it be ok to pay in virtual dollars or monopoly money since physical dollars and actual money is a no go? Can't say that I've ever be tempted to pay $12 to see a movie. I'm usually cheap and attend a matinee during the week when the crowds are smaller. I'm also going to opt-out on the shit invite. You may also wish to direct future posts to The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation. (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10517-The-Dark-Tower-series-filmed-adaptation&p=1001012#post1001012) Maybe there you can recruit more fellow shitters. Shitters :orely: Think I read about such folks in a book once. It escapes me now however.

It's funny how every stream of consciousness post is directed to a more appropriate thread. If I could only be so organized. I just assumed movies everywhere cost $12, but I guess it makes sense that movies cost less in Kansas.

Brian861
05-20-2016, 11:05 PM
It's funny how every stream of consciousness post is directed to a more appropriate thread. If I could only be so organized. I just assumed movies everywhere cost $12, but I guess it makes sense that movies cost less in Kansas.

Just curious, how so on the movie prices?

Randall Flagg
05-21-2016, 04:39 AM
The movie I saw at noon yesterday was $5.21.
Last week a 1st run VOD on Directv was $7. I'm sure an evening movie in 3D, or Imax might push the price to ~$12-~15

Room 217 Caretaker
05-21-2016, 05:04 AM
Here in Virginia a matinee movie is $7.95. $10.95 for later showings. 3D, IMAX, etc. pushes $15.

Mulleins

Ben Staad
05-21-2016, 08:27 AM
$7.00 for a matinee and $9.00 for evening shows. This is the pricing for the smaller theater in my area...the larger one in the adjacent "big" city cost around $2.00 more. The concessions are where the money escalates.

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-21-2016, 08:44 AM
Welp on my way to my first MLB game in Cincinnati. Lifelong Mariners fan and ill get to see my favorite pitcher (King Felix). Gonna be a good day

Brian861
05-21-2016, 10:55 AM
The movie I saw at noon yesterday was $5.21.
Last week a 1st run VOD on Directv was $7. I'm sure an evening movie in 3D, or Imax might push the price to ~$12-~15

Here in Virginia a matinee movie is $7.95. $10.95 for later showings. 3D, IMAX, etc. pushes $15.

Mulleins

$7.00 for a matinee and $9.00 for evening shows. This is the pricing for the smaller theater in my area...the larger one in the adjacent "big" city cost around $2.00 more. The concessions are where the money escalates.

$7.00 matinee/$10.00 evening. IMAX $13.00 matinee/$15.00 evening. I agree completely on the concessions. That's what keeps the lights on.

Brian861
05-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Welp on my way to my first MLB game in Cincinnati. Lifelong Mariners fan and ill get to see my favorite pitcher (King Felix). Gonna be a good day

Good for you, Chad! Hope ya have a great time, brother.

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-21-2016, 03:51 PM
Welp had a good time. M's won 4-0 and Gutierrez hit a MAMMOTH homer. Good day

HONKYTONKSMASH
05-21-2016, 03:51 PM

Good for you, Chad! Hope ya have a great time, brother.

Sure did man!

Randall Flagg
05-21-2016, 05:05 PM
Do British, Scottish, Irish people have a hard time understanding American enunciated English (USA, not Canadian) in a movie?
I struggle with "thick" accents in foreign (Yet still English language) films.

peripheral
05-21-2016, 05:56 PM
Do British, Scottish, Irish people have a hard time understanding American enunciated English (USA, not Canadian) in a movie?
I struggle with "thick" accents in foreign (Yet still English language) films.

From an Australian perspective at least, I have no problem with understanding the American accent, but can struggle at times with a "Deep South" variant. I think it's because the US accent is so internationally dominant in the exported movie / TV and music industry. I work in the health industry / academia, and I have born and raised South East Asian colleagues who now live in Australia with perfect US accents simply from growing up on a diet of US cartoons and sitcoms. When I hear Aussie hip hop (with an Aussie accent), it just sounds wrong... Needs to have a US accent. (And as an aside, for all of Tarantino's support for Australian film, Jesus his Australian accent in Django was bloody awful).

Tommy
05-21-2016, 07:12 PM
Ha! I live in the South and still have an accent myself but I have met some folks that I can't even understand. Think Boomhauer from King of the Hill but way worse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCVQ7imOr7U

I have real trouble understanding Scottish and Irish accents sometimes as well.

ladysai
05-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Ha! I live in the South and still have an accent myself but I have met some folks that I can't even understand.

Dont feel like the Lone Ranger.
Ive been in the Deep South over 25 years and there are plenty of accents that are beyond my comprehension.
I think the local dialect is most of the misunderstanding; but the accents affect understanding, too.

As far as the Scottish & Irish accents, I dont much mind not understanding everything. I just love to hear them. :wub:

Ben Staad
05-22-2016, 03:31 PM
There are pockets of people (clans if you will) in central Florida that speak a language all their own. They speak very fast and combine words so often it is like they are talking in one long run on sentence.

biomieg
05-23-2016, 03:32 AM
It just occurred to me that my son (who turned two a month ago) has never watched a minute of TV in his life. I think that's quite an achievement in this day and age...

carlosdetweiller
05-23-2016, 03:56 AM
It just occurred to me that my son (who turned two a month ago) has never watched a minute of TV in his life. I think that's quite an achievement in this day and age...

It does seem unusual for this day and age. Do you feel that all TV is bad for developing children? Do you actively keep him from watching or is it just something that happened? My grandson (5 y/o) watches a lot of TV but then so did I growing up. I'm not sure what my thoughts on this subject are. Interesting, though.

Iwritecode
05-23-2016, 04:45 AM
although it's tough to say these are poor casting decisions when most of these cast members aren't in the books. What a load of crap!

I'm not sure what cast members they've announced that aren't in the book? Off the top of my head they've announced Roland, MIB, Jake, Sayre, Pimli Prentiss and Tirana (who's role will probably be expended from the book).

They haven't made up any new characters that weren't in the book that I'm aware of much less "most of the cast members".

$7.00 matinee/$10.00 evening. IMAX $13.00 matinee/$15.00 evening. I agree completely on the concessions. That's what keeps the lights on.

That's true. The theaters make very little money on the movies themselves. That mostly goes to the people that made/produced/acted in the movie. The concessions are where the theater's profits come from. That's why they sell a tub of popcorn for $10 that took less than a dollar to make.

biomieg
05-23-2016, 05:03 AM

It does seem unusual for this day and age. Do you feel that all TV is bad for developing children? Do you actively keep him from watching or is it just something that happened? My grandson (5 y/o) watches a lot of TV but then so did I growing up. I'm not sure what my thoughts on this subject are. Interesting, though.

I don't really have an opinion, to be honest. It just happened and I never really thought about it until today. On the other hand, the little guy is already very proficient on our iPhones and iPad so he does get some 'screen time'.

zelig
05-23-2016, 07:08 AM
I feel it's a good thing for a child not to be brought up watching any of the really negative things you see on TV.

Personally I haven't watched TV for about 7 years. I watch shows on Netflix and movies, etc. It's the news and advertisements that were the biggest drag for me when I used to watch. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing as I'm a little out of touch with what's going on in the world, as compared to someone who watches every day. I do check headlines on the iPhone periodically or scan a newspaper headline when I'm out and about, which I feel is sufficient.

Ben Staad
05-23-2016, 07:14 AM
I think we are starting to see studies which do provide data that screen time impacts the ability to properly recognize social cues. I just read an article recently about this however I can't find it at the moment. If I locate the article I will post the link.

Br!an
05-23-2016, 08:15 AM
although it's tough to say these are poor casting decisions when most of these cast members aren't in the books. What a load of crap!

I'm not sure what cast members they've announced that aren't in the book? Off the top of my head they've announced Roland, MIB, Jake, Sayre, Pimli Prentiss and Tirana (who's role will probably be expended from the book).

They haven't made up any new characters that weren't in the book that I'm aware of much less "most of the cast members".

They included a character from the comics which are not King canon.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/horror/avengers-age-of-ultron-actress-claudia-kim-joins-the-dark-tower-as-arra-a141391

The Tracking Board reports that Claudia Kim (Dr. Helen Cho in Avengers: Age Of Ultron) has landed a role in the big-screen adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower.

According to them she'll play a character named Arra Champignon, who actually appeared in two of the Marvel tie-in comics: "Treachery", and "The Sorcerer". Arra came to a very nasty end along with her husband, but it's possible her relatively minor role will be expanded for the film of course.

Here's how this take on the character is described:

"known to be 'kind' and who 'wishes everyone well.' She possesses psychic abilities and seems to come from another world – perhaps another time all together."

carlosdetweiller
05-23-2016, 09:39 AM
studies which do provide data that screen time impacts the ability to properly recognize social cues.

I think this explains what must have happened to me. As a child growing up in the 1950's television was an important part of my life. Mickey Mouse Club right after school and then most evenings were spent watching one of the three channels we got with our rabbit ears antenna on top of the TV set. Of course the evening TV watching was with the whole family. Good memories of those days. I still love to watch TV and, as a result, probably still don't recognize social cues (whatever the heck those are).

T-Dogz_AK47
05-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Television is for appearing on, not for looking at.

Randall Flagg
05-23-2016, 01:40 PM
I still love to watch TV and, as a result, probably still don't recognize social cues (whatever the heck those are).

https://media3.giphy.com/media/jrCmtLacLvZHG/200.gif

Ben Staad
05-23-2016, 03:38 PM
That may be to subtle for Mr. Detweiller. LOL

I still love to watch TV and, as a result, probably still don't recognize social cues (whatever the heck those are).

https://media3.giphy.com/media/jrCmtLacLvZHG/200.gif

Brian861
05-23-2016, 11:15 PM
studies which do provide data that screen time impacts the ability to properly recognize social cues.

I think this explains what must have happened to me. As a child growing up in the 1950's television was an important part of my life. Mickey Mouse Club right after school and then most evenings were spent watching one of the three channels we got with our rabbit ears antenna on top of the TV set. Of course the evening TV watching was with the whole family. Good memories of those days. I still love to watch TV and, as a result, probably still don't recognize social cues (whatever the heck those are).

Sounds like you're about the same age as my parents, Bob and I can see where TV would have had the same affect on them and on my own upbringing. Although both my parents grew up in the rural south very poor; I remember both of them saying they can't remember having a TV in the home until their late teens. But our TV was on all the time regardless if anyone was watching it or not. Even at dinner it'd be on while we all sit around the table discussing our day. Or better yet, we'd pull out the old TV trays and watch while we ate. I remember the 3 channel days where you had to get up and physically turn the channel (we didn't get cable until the late '80s). My fondest TV memories were Saturday morning cartoons and animated TV specials like Charlie Brown, Rudolph, etc. And after school it would be He-Man, G.I. Joe, Transformers, and The Incredible Hulk. Really nothing special about TV anymore I'd say due to the fact you can watch whatever ya want at anytime without really having to wait too long for it. I find myself watching less and less as I get older myself. Love my $7.00 matinee movies though. Just make sure your date (wife) carries in her large purse ;).

webstar1000
05-24-2016, 04:10 AM
Just got back from back from our 7th year hiking the Cape Breton Highlands. I implore anyone taking a minute to read this post to Google them... I have been to a lot of places and BY FAR this is my favorite for pristine beauty. The drive around the Cabot Trail is the best I have ever done as well... and well the food??? I put on 7lbs in 4 days and hiked over 30K of breathtaking trails.... if that tells ya how yummy it is! lol If you have never been... come see it. You WILL thank me:)

herbertwest
05-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Seem absolutely stunning !

herbertwest
05-26-2016, 02:05 AM
If I had a garden, I would love those horror gnomes
>>> http://bloody-disgusting.com/the-further/3392399/scared-lawn-gnomes-will-make-things-worse/

http://i2.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/horrorgnomebanner.jpg

peripheral
05-26-2016, 02:38 AM
If I had a garden, I would love those horror gnomes
>>> http://bloody-disgusting.com/the-further/3392399/scared-lawn-gnomes-will-make-things-worse/

http://i2.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/horrorgnomebanner.jpg

Haha... These are awesome...

Brian861
05-26-2016, 02:41 PM
Love 'em! lol

Ricky
05-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Those are terrifying. :lol:

Sir_Boomme
05-29-2016, 05:20 AM
love those gnomes... but my dogs would eat them
Speaking of which... tomorrow will be the 1 year anniversary of Peevy and Charlie's becoming part of Worm and my family.
It's been a hell of a year, but they've really grown on me, and Worm has totally recovered from the deep depression he was in after we lost his best friend Thing last April.

So... because it's a long weekend and I had some time to blow... I made a video.... of course I did.
For all you hard rocking dogs out there.
and if you make it that far, there's shitty bonus footage after the credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzXGK1A59UQ

Brian861
05-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Shitty indeed, lol.

George at C-Springs
06-02-2016, 01:45 PM
A couple of hours ago one of the USAF Thunderbirds went down in a field a few miles down the road from where I work, it was returning to Peterson AFB after the USAF Academy graduation demonstration. The pilot ejected safely, no damage on the ground, aircraft made it down in one piece ... he probably lost an engine and glided it in for a wheels-up landing. A few minutes later, President Obama's motorcade drove by our building, screwing up traffic and annoying the shit out thousands of drivers. Now, a few hours later, one of the USN Blue Angels went down after takeoff in Tennessee, and it sounds like the pilot didn't make it.

What are the odds of the two top aerial demonstration teams in the world losing an aircraft within hours of each other after not having an incident for years and years? Much, much higher than the president not screwing things up and annoying a whole lot of people. http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Reports-of-plane-crash-south-of-Colorado-Springs-airport-381683861.html

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-02-2016, 01:55 PM
That's crazy

Rahfa
06-02-2016, 04:20 PM
A couple of hours ago one of the USAF Thunderbirds went down in a field a few miles down the road from where I work, it was returning to Peterson AFB after the USAF Academy graduation demonstration. The pilot ejected safely, no damage on the ground, aircraft made it down in one piece ... he probably lost an engine and glided it in for a wheels-up landing. A few minutes later, President Obama's motorcade drove by our building, screwing up traffic and annoying the shit out thousands of drivers. Now, a few hours later, one of the USN Blue Angels went down after takeoff in Tennessee, and it sounds like the pilot didn't make it.

What are the odds of the two top aerial demonstration teams in the world losing an aircraft within hours of each other after not having an incident for years and years? Much, much higher than the president not screwing things up and annoying a whole lot of people. http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Reports-of-plane-crash-south-of-Colorado-Springs-airport-381683861.html

You know that they've been having presidential motorcades for like 60 years, right? It might surprise you to know that Obama's not the first one who caused a traffic jam. Hard to believe, I know.

Randall Flagg
06-02-2016, 06:50 PM
VP George H.W. Bush and his motorcade did a fine job of obstructing traffic at Superbowl XVI,
It was only ~13 degrees outside, so the inconvenience (other than an hour or two delay) was minor.

Brian861
06-02-2016, 09:45 PM
That's crazy

No doubt!

Brian861
06-02-2016, 09:47 PM

You know that they've been having presidential motorcades for like 60 years, right? It might surprise you to know that Obama's not the first one who caused a traffic jam. Hard to believe, I know.

Is it just me or does Rahfa really need a Snickers about now :).

AKC
06-02-2016, 09:47 PM
What the hell you guys doing up so late?!

It's 1:47 PM Hong Kong time. At least it's middle of the day for me...

Brian861
06-02-2016, 09:50 PM

Well, I can't speak for the others but.....I'm partying like it's 1999, baby!! :excited: :rock:

AKC
06-02-2016, 09:53 PM

Well, I can't speak for the others but.....I'm partying like it's 1999, baby!! :excited: :rock:

Atta' boy. Get after it...

Brian861
06-02-2016, 10:00 PM

Atta' boy. Get after it...

Actually, I got off work not too long ago and figured it'd be a good idea to torment my fellow forum members :).

AKC
06-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Good to have the company.

I'm on beer #3 in SoHo; Hong Kong at 2:00 in the afternoon. Just texted back and forth with David. Really happy that a couple of you fellow collector nut bags are up!

Brian861
06-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Good to have the company.

I'm on beer #3 in SoHo; Hong Kong at 2:00 in the afternoon. Just texted back and forth with David. Really happy that a couple of you fellow collector nut bags are up!

Creature of the night here for sure. Hong Kong has to be pretty cool. Business or pleasure or both?

AKC
06-02-2016, 10:16 PM
Primarily business but been known to squeeze in a little pleasure along the way.....

On to Beer #4. No more business today.....

Brian861
06-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Primarily business but been known to squeeze in a little pleasure along the way.....

On to Beer #4. No more business today.....

:thumbsup:

Br!an
06-03-2016, 03:59 AM
This speaks for itself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVEygMjVpl4

Ben Staad
06-03-2016, 10:53 AM
My county library system does not have Justin Cronins new book in their library system...I asked the librarian assistant and she doesn't think it has anything to do with the fact it's a new title. I made a request for them to add this book.

ladysai
06-03-2016, 11:00 AM

Amazing how much the little things mean...
thats a wonderfully heartwarming video.

Ben Staad
06-03-2016, 11:05 AM
That is a great video. Such a sweet little girl and some awesome parents.

Br!an
06-03-2016, 02:57 PM
The mother said that she thought it would be a good idea having the doll made. She didn't realize how much her daughter needed the validation she received from the doll though.

When I first saw the video I had a great big grin on my face and I was leaking. (Grinch reference)

I love the girl, and I'm so happy for her. I love the parents and their thoughtfulness. I love the supportive little sister.

They just showed it on the evening news.

I leaked again.

AKC
06-03-2016, 04:50 PM
PHOTOBUCKET ISSUES:

Anybody else having troubling copying an Image link in Photobucket? When I click on IMG under "share this photo" on the right hand side, it won't select the link and no longer indicates COPIED. The little Hand with a Finger point does not come up.

I know, technical terms right? Likely user error but, just started about a week ago.

Not a setting on my computer because I can click on threads in TDT and links on other websites just fine...

bdwyer19
06-03-2016, 05:10 PM

I just watched that twice. Absolutely wonderful!

herbertwest
06-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Random thoughts :

1) Paid too much taxes for years!
And it's not just a random though, but a fact. I recently discovered after being contacted from the local tax offices to provide them more documents, that the previous years (the last 8 years or so), me and my wife have paid twice the local tax!
I discovered that 1 flat can only pay 1 tax. Me and my wife paid it both without realising.
After discussing with the staff, the issue is likely because we were living in a building and the address was registered on the 3rd floor but it could mean different flats.
So that was the bad luck. We paid over 4K euros of taxes over the years while we should probably have been paying only half of that.
The good news, is that we should be able to get some money back. The bad news is that the changed the law a few months ago, so that the taxes can only go back to 2 years instead of 3. I am still hoping to get about 1K $ back!

2) Amazing customer service !
Since at least 5 years, CD is back on their feet and I always heard good things from customers and help from Brian & Mindy.
Well, it aint about CD but still an amazing customer service, and very bad luck.
Back in february, I bought a 200 euros backpack online from Tortuga. I was seduced by the AIR backpack ( http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/collections/travel-backpacks/products/tortuga-air-carry-on-backpack ) for it's simplicity but still being able to travel organised and easily. I bought it thinking about my trip to japan and some other weekend trips.
So I had it for my trip in japan. After a week of using it, I noticed that the shoulder trap (is that the word?) was getting undone. THe stitches were falling off.
I contacted the customer service, explained, sent pix, and said i'd try to get it fixed in tokyo (where I was) : they were being nice, asked me to send a receipt so they'll reimburse me for the fixing, and when i'll be back in france they'll send me a replacement backpack.
I was lucky to get it (temporary) fixed in tokyo for free.

Back in France, thats when the nightmare for Tortuga Backpack starts :

o They sent me a replacement (cost : 75$?)
Customs ask me to pay 75$ for getting the bag. I mention it to Tortuga and they tell me that they'll reimburse me for it.
I get the backpack : unfortunately, it's not a replacement. It's the upgraded version, which me and my wife really try to like, but we dont. It seem to overegineeered and lose the simplicity and the parts that we like about the one we bought.
I mention it to them, and they said that actually it was a mistake from their warehouse.
I need to send the wrong one back (cost 75$) + the defective one to their repair shop in scotland so that it doesnt get sent by accident (cost 30$)
They reimburse me for those cost too.
So : 75$ for replacement, 65$ for customs, 75$+30$ for shipping back

o They sent me the real replacement (cost : 75$?)
When I wanted to check where the bag was, I noticed that the USPS said that the address was wrong and the backpack was held at a delivery office. I went to the post office, wasnt there. With some hassle, I managed to learn that it was held by Chronopost and therefore I was able to reconfirm (the same address) and get it delivered.
Customs ask me to pay again some fucking customs : 45$, which Tortuga tells me they'll reimburse me too.
Cost : 75$ + 45$
This time the bag is the real one. Hope the stitches will stay strong.

So, they really have done everything they could to make it right, despite the fact that everything went wrong. But I am not complaining : the customer service is truly sincere and great and I highly recommend them for the bag I bought and their service!
I mean, I paid a backpack 224$ including shipping. They spent about 365$ just to make sure that I am 100% happy!

So, if you're intrigued about the backpack I ordered (which it is really good, I've been extremely happy with it in Japan!) here it is
>>> http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/collections/travel-backpacks/products/tortuga-air-carry-on-backpack

Randall Flagg
06-04-2016, 12:05 PM
After all that trouble, I think their backpacks are jinxed.
I'll pass :)

Theli
06-04-2016, 11:51 PM
What a mess!!!

herbertwest
06-05-2016, 12:26 AM
I wouldnt call it a mess, just a lot of bad luck.
The fact is that up until now, I never paid any customs in my life, and here, every time there is one. Probably because they sent it through Chronopost.
When they sent a replacement, the warehouse mixed it, and that's something that can happen. They's been a lot of hassle, but they seriously have done everything to fix it, and the bag is really good!

Tommy
06-06-2016, 07:54 AM
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KtZMk_PlD1M/Vtn3oO_wwXI/AAAAAAAAB5g/1TGz78ZdGNA/s1600/81-axl-rose-balding-bandana-fat.jpg

shaq
06-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Looking forward to seeing Joe Hill tonight. Should be fun.

Pasiuk57
06-07-2016, 10:36 AM
I saw him in Minneapolis. It was a lot of fun!!

shaq
06-07-2016, 10:39 AM
I saw him in Minneapolis. It was a lot of fun!!

He was so much fun. Stood in a queue waiting for my book to be signed now.

Very very witty.

Pasiuk57
06-07-2016, 10:57 AM
He let anyone who wanted to get a pic with him. Nice guy...

Pasiuk57
06-07-2016, 10:59 AM
I saw Joe Hill, will see Justin Cronin on Thursday and Stephen King on Monday-three great authors less than a month. I feel lucky!

webstar1000
06-07-2016, 11:09 AM
I saw Joe Hill, will see Justin Cronin on Thursday and Stephen King on Monday-three great authors less than a month. I feel lucky!

So cool man... so cool!

shaq
06-07-2016, 01:46 PM

Wow. That's excellent

herbertwest
06-08-2016, 12:12 AM
Met Scoogs from here in Paris last night. Was nice to chat about books and book collecting to a fellow member. Oh and when everybody complains about the lack of space, then it brings to the fact that some people do seem to have a loooot of space, and sometimes basements ;)

herbertwest
06-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Tonight I was at a VIP cocktail from publishers about Bernard Werber, my favorite author after King.
They were holding this in order to celebrate the selling of over 10 million copies in France of the mass paperback editions of his books !

There were also some korean journalists recording some bits for a tv documentary (Bernard Werber is considered as a superstar in that country). At some point they were looking for interviewing fans. Nobody seemed to be willing, so I did the interview with a korean presenter for a tv documentary. Weird experience !

Brian861
06-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Tonight I was at a VIP cocktail from publishers about Bernard Werber, my favorite author after King.
They were holding this in order to celebrate the selling of over 10 million copies in France of the mass paperback editions of his books !

There were also some korean journalists recording some bits for a tv documentary (Bernard Werber is considered as a superstar in that country). At some point they were looking for interviewing fans. Nobody seemed to be willing, so I did the interview with a korean presenter for a tv documentary. Weird experience !

Pretty freakin' cool I'd say!

peripheral
06-09-2016, 02:12 AM

That is cool. Post a link if the footage ever surfaces.

webstar1000
06-09-2016, 06:10 AM
Stuck at work and my buddy on the lake has the SK Mist crew there to film. He talked tot he crew and they wanted a home RIGHT on the water with the water level with the home almost... When would that have come into play? Start of the book? Said there are "creatures in the water". They took pictures a couple weeks ago and I was hoping to be on set for it but we are moving our shops into a new building and time is NOT on my side:(

bdwyer19
06-09-2016, 06:46 AM
Stuck at work and my buddy on the lake has the SK Mist crew there to film. He talked tot he crew and they wanted a home RIGHT on the water with the water level with the home almost... When would that have come into play? Start of the book? Said there are "creatures in the water". They took pictures a couple weeks ago and I was hoping to be on set for it but we are moving our shops into a new building and time is NOT on my side:(

I can't think of that scene either. Creative liberties, I imagine.

herbertwest
06-10-2016, 05:20 AM
Random thoughts :

And it's not just a random though, but a fact. I recently discovered after being contacted from the local tax offices to provide them more documents, that the previous years (the last 8 years or so), me and my wife have paid twice the local tax!
I discovered that 1 flat can only pay 1 tax. Me and my wife paid it both without realising.
After discussing with the staff, the issue is likely because we were living in a building and the address was registered on the 3rd floor but it could mean different flats.
So that was the bad luck. We paid over 4K euros of taxes over the years while we should probably have been paying only half of that.
The good news, is that we should be able to get some money back. The bad news is that the changed the law a few months ago, so that the taxes can only go back to 2 years instead of 3. I am still hoping to get about 1K $ back!

Got the tax office on the phone earlier, looks like we will get even more money back as the officer said he asked for the reimbursement of what my wife paid for the past 5 years! :)

Br!an
06-10-2016, 06:42 AM
Nice!

The Library Policeman
06-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Saw a small advert for End Of Watch at the train station yesterday lol

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah15/alangrimason68/5B0A2B2B-C7B7-4F2D-AE0C-1143733B4846_zpspda2fbfm.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/alangrimason68/media/5B0A2B2B-C7B7-4F2D-AE0C-1143733B4846_zpspda2fbfm.jpg.html)

Brian861
06-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Random thoughts :

Got the tax office on the phone earlier, looks like we will get even more money back as the officer said he asked for the reimbursement of what my wife paid for the past 5 years! :)

Good deal.

Brian861
06-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Saw a small advert for End Of Watch at the train station yesterday lol

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah15/alangrimason68/5B0A2B2B-C7B7-4F2D-AE0C-1143733B4846_zpspda2fbfm.jpg (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/alangrimason68/media/5B0A2B2B-C7B7-4F2D-AE0C-1143733B4846_zpspda2fbfm.jpg.html)

Cool!

jonp
06-10-2016, 09:52 AM
Very nice, Alan. That looks like Glasgow Central Station to me!

The Library Policeman
06-11-2016, 03:27 AM

It is indeed Glasgow Central, Jon :)

jonp
06-11-2016, 03:40 AM

It is indeed Glasgow Central, Jon :)

Thought so, been there a few times.

Sir_Boomme
06-11-2016, 01:41 PM
curious... anyone else collect signed/limited presidential memoirs besides me?
And as you can see, I'm one to prepare for the worst. While she might not make America great again, as the first female president, she'd definitely increase the value of one book in my collection.
Or you could say it's part of my zombie apocalypse preparedness kit... when it all goes to hell in a handbasket... I can use it for fuel to cook over, that rag paper should burn well.
Now if I can just find a Trump signed memoir I'll be able to stay warm and toasty... all the hot air should get me through a decade of Texas winters.

Note... I had an Obama signed edition...but it's on vacation

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7323/27608085755_9ea77c642a_b.jpg

herbertwest
06-13-2016, 07:11 AM
I am surprised that there are no comments here about the ORLANDO tragedy...

Tommy
06-13-2016, 07:33 AM
It's all bad. Too much to process...

webstar1000
06-13-2016, 07:41 AM
BRUTAL. What senseless violence..... my thoughts are with all the people in Florida and around the US.

jreitan47
06-13-2016, 08:14 AM
BRUTAL. What senseless violence..... my thoughts are with all the people in Florida and around the US.

I was in a gay nightclub on Saturday night (across the country from the attack). Needless to say, I had a good long cry Sunday morning thinking how terrible this was and that it could happen anywhere. A friend knew one of the performers who was in a back dressing room who was locked in and had to escape through air conditioning duct.

Rahfa
06-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Now if I can just find a Trump signed memoir I'll be able to stay warm and toasty... all the hot air should get me through a decade of Texas winters.

Easton Press did an s/l of one of his books a few years back (actually, close to 10!) that I once owned a copy of...I wouldn't say I collect them, but from 2008 events I did get personalized copies from Obama and Hillary. To Hillary's credit, she has amazing handwriting and even added my name despite it being in a post-event scrum. Obama was a rush job, but he did add my name too.

I am surprised that there are no comments here about the ORLANDO tragedy...

As for Orlando, what comments should there be? If this country won't do anything for 20 first graders slaughtered in their classroom, then I doubt we'll do much for 50 gay Hispanics. There'll be a dog and pony show for a few days, a little circle jerk masturbation by the usual suspects, and then we can go back to our slack-jawed lives. Trump and Clinton are just giving handjobs with the right hand or the left. I can do it better myself.

If I saw an American flag on fire, I wouldn't piss on it. I see somebody waving a flag, I laugh at them. I think they're funny, like a clown. We're a nation of self-destructive, delusional cowards, phonies, losers, saps, fools and rubes.

Is that the comment you were looking for? Happy?

herbertwest
06-13-2016, 10:07 AM
I am shocked that there are still so many shootings. Against religion, against gays, against artists (last week), against anything. So much useless hate.
I do not live in a world of care bares, but why do people care so much about what other people do in their life?

Sexual preference do not do harm to anybody.
Religion is IMO just a pile of BS that would have been named 'cults' nowadays, but if you believe in 1 or 12 gods, fine by me, as long as you do not harm anybody.
Such a crazy world nowadays...

Rahfa
06-13-2016, 10:09 AM
why do people care so much about what other people do in their life?...

Because the human race is a corrupted, inbred species that's run out of useful energy.

ladysai
06-13-2016, 01:13 PM
Because the human race is a corrupted, inbred species that's run out of useful energy.

Wow, and I thought I was pessimistic about the human race.
I feel like fuckin PollyAnna now.

Randall Flagg
06-13-2016, 03:50 PM
Trump and Clinton are just giving handjobs with the right hand or the left. I can do it better myself.
Is that the comment you were looking for? Happy?
Pretty raw comment, but I suppose like any child, the best response to masturbation is to gently encourage them to do so in private. I suggest you do the same.

TCCBodhi
06-13-2016, 07:04 PM
My choir, the Turtle Creek Chorale, will be live-streaming our remembrance concert Tuesday night at 6:30 PM Central Time. It would be great if some of you all would tune in to hear me and to Remember Orlando! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiADpkn6ULU)

I'll be singing in both the LARGE choir, and our smaller 40 voice Chamber Choir.

peripheral
06-14-2016, 12:26 AM
I am shocked that there are still so many shootings. Against religion, against gays, against artists (last week), against anything. So much useless hate.
I do not live in a world of care bares, but why do people care so much about what other people do in their life?

Sexual preference do not do harm to anybody.
Religion is IMO just a pile of BS that would have been named 'cults' nowadays, but if you believe in 1 or 12 gods, fine by me, as long as you do not harm anybody.
Such a crazy world nowadays...

Couldn't have said it better.

My thoughts are with the victims and their families. I'm always bewildered and saddened when I hear of another shooting in the US.

Rahfa
06-14-2016, 08:41 AM
Pretty raw comment, but I suppose like any child, the best response to masturbation is to gently encourage them to do so in private. I suggest you do the same.

Hey, all I did was respond to a request for commentary - if people don't like the answer to a question, ask a different question.

TCCBodhi
06-14-2016, 09:59 AM
Just a reminder that I'm singing in a live webcast tonight with my choir. It's looking like it will be a HUGE event with nearly 1000 in attendance and probably 175 singers. One of our former singers worked at Pulse when he lived in Orlando, and lost a friend in the massacre. The concert will be webcast at Songs For Healing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiADpkn6ULU). The webcast starts at 6:30 Central Time, but the concert starts at 7:00, unless something has changed, which is entirely possible, we've had several dozen messages come to us about the event.

The Turtle Creek Chorale is considered one of the premier Men's Choruses in the country, and we just ended our 36th season on Saturday night, the night of the Orlando shooting. I hope that some of you can tune in.

Randall Flagg
06-14-2016, 12:08 PM

Hey, all I did was respond to a request for commentary - if people don't like the answer to a question, ask a different question.
herbertwest stated his surprise that there was no commentary on the event. He ended his statement with an ellipsis, which is a suspension of thought, not a question mark.

BTAIM,

I don't wish to argue language with someone who is erudite. I will likely come out on the wrong end.

Ben Staad
06-14-2016, 03:59 PM
Best of luck and I hope this helps with the healing. I will be listening.

Just a reminder that I'm singing in a live webcast tonight with my choir. It's looking like it will be a HUGE event with nearly 1000 in attendance and probably 175 singers. One of our former singers worked at Pulse when he lived in Orlando, and lost a friend in the massacre. The concert will be webcast at Songs For Healing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiADpkn6ULU). The webcast starts at 6:30 Central Time, but the concert starts at 7:00, unless something has changed, which is entirely possible, we've had several dozen messages come to us about the event.

The Turtle Creek Chorale is considered one of the premier Men's Choruses in the country, and we just ended our 36th season on Saturday night, the night of the Orlando shooting. I hope that some of you can tune in.

TCCBodhi
06-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Thanks Ben. I just got home from a packed audience AND packed choir space. We raised $15,000 for EqualityOrlando at the event, and there were 26,000 people watching the webcast!

It may not have been the most technically perfect performance, though most was great-sounding, given that we haven't sung much of this music in months, or even years; but it was certainly earnest and heartfelt, not overly dwelling on tragedy, but on the strength that we find in ourselves, our friends, our god (if that is something we believe in) & our community! I hope that you felt even a portion of what we felt in the room!

Ben Staad
06-14-2016, 07:45 PM
I enjoyed the concert very much. Thank you and your group for putting this together.

Thanks Ben. I just got home from a packed audience AND packed choir space. We raised $15,000 for EqualityOrlando at the event, and there were 26,000 people watching the webcast!

It may not have been the most technically perfect performance, though most was great-sounding, given that we haven't sung much of this music in months, or even years; but it was certainly earnest and heartfelt, not overly dwelling on tragedy, but on the strength that we find in ourselves, our friends, our god (if that is something we believe in) & our community! I hope that you felt even a portion of what we felt in the room!

Lot guy
06-14-2016, 07:54 PM
Great Job Seth!!!!

TCCBodhi
06-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Thanks Ben & Matt! If anyone wishes to watch, we found this archived version. I'm not sure how long it will stay up though, so watch it soon or download it in some way.

Songs For Healing (Archived Edition) (https://www.facebook.com/wfaachannel8/videos/10153735709891545/?pnref=story.unseen-section)

I had little to do with it, other than being a singer for 15 years and 60+ concert sessions, which equates to more than 5,000 hours of rehearsal & performance hours, not including the advanced Chamber Choir and ancillary performances. I have yet another small performance at a City Hall function, singing "Beautiful City" from Godspell. Works very nicely as a solo + unison choir piece for something so simple.

All of this more rightly should go in the TDT Biographies, but I just haven't been able to concentrate on mine. The choir is most definitely my primary activity since my ailments forced me to leave the workforce in '14.

carlosdetweiller
06-15-2016, 08:08 AM
I just got my first Social Security check today. Actually not a real check anymore but a direct bank deposit. I think I am going to like and enjoy this new source of income!

jreitan47
06-15-2016, 09:08 AM
Tomorrow is my birthday...what do I want, what can you get me?? If you're able, all I want is donations to my annual HIV/AIDS fundraiser serving HIV positive Oregonians in 11 counties (as well as prevention campaigns across Oregon). I'm thankful for each birthday because nearly all of my adult life has been living with HIV and I won't stop fundraising until there is a cure. Help make this one amazing birthday and at the same time help out some Oregonians also living with this disease. We're almost at $5,000!! To donate: http://www.tinyurl.com/redribbon2016 THANK YOU

Brian861
06-15-2016, 09:29 AM
I just got my first Social Security check today. Actually not a real check anymore but a direct bank deposit. I think I am going to like and enjoy this new source of income!

Surprised they didn't send you a bill rather than a check. I always have a good chuckle when they send me how much I'll get when my time comes. My mom draws it and what I think really sucks is she doesn't get my late father's. He worked all the way up to the time of his death so never got to draw. Just seems like the surviving spouse should get it until they pass.

ICry4Oy
06-15-2016, 10:49 AM
Tomorrow is my birthday...what do I want, what can you get me?? If you're able, all I want is donations to my annual HIV/AIDS fundraiser serving HIV positive Oregonians in 11 counties (as well as prevention campaigns across Oregon). I'm thankful for each birthday because nearly all of my adult life has been living with HIV and I won't stop fundraising until there is a cure. Help make this one amazing birthday and at the same time help out some Oregonians also living with this disease. We're almost at $5,000!! To donate: http://www.tinyurl.com/redribbon2016 THANK YOU

Happy early birthday to you and BRAVO to you on the fund raising!!! During the 80s and 90s, my husband and I watched every single friend of ours die from aids related illnesses. We have come so far fighting this disease but we have so much more to do.

Br!an
06-15-2016, 12:15 PM

Surprised they didn't send you a bill rather than a check. I always have a good chuckle when they send me how much I'll get when my time comes. My mom draws it and what I think really sucks is she doesn't get my late father's. He worked all the way up to the time of his death so never got to draw. Just seems like the surviving spouse should get it until they pass.

Good for you Bob. You've earned it.

@Brian, there is a survivor benefit. Your mother should have collected benefits upon his death. When it was time for her to collect on her own, she should have started receiving whichever of their benefits has a higher payment. I realize that isn't the same as a double payment, but it's not nothing either.

amd013
06-15-2016, 02:41 PM
I don't wish to argue language with someone who is erudite. I will likely come out on the wrong end.

I must not be erudite, as I had to look that word up. LOL

Brian861
06-15-2016, 09:46 PM

Good for you Bob. You've earned it.

@Brian, there is a survivor benefit. Your mother should have collected benefits upon his death. When it was time for her to collect on her own, she should have started receiving whichever of their benefits has a higher payment. I realize that isn't the same as a double payment, but it's not nothing either.

Yea, that's exactly what happened, Brian. I believe she does collect his due to it being more. Just a supplement anyway, social security. Although many live on it alone; not a well advised thing to do.

Br!an
06-17-2016, 03:47 AM
This is interesting...

"Use this map to explore ESA astronaut Tim Peake's stunning photos of Earth, taken from the International Space Station during his six month mission."

http://apps.esriuk.com/app/TimPeake/3/wmt/view/d64115f341c54560bdf7582052818809/index.html

Really beautiful pictures

TCCBodhi
06-18-2016, 04:34 PM
Goddam world's going to hell in a handbasket when someone targets my 2002 POS Civic to break a window to get into to steal a just as old radio and 3 inch screen obsolete GPS, as well as my toolkit from my trunk. Probably not worth a claim, so "Yay" another damn expense this summer. Why they'd choose my garbage car with it's Primer Paint trunk over all the nicer ones out there with actually valuable radios in them. Dammit.

Sir_Boomme
06-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Goddam world's going to hell in a handbasket when someone targets my 2002 POS Civic to break a window to get into to steal a just as old radio and 3 inch screen obsolete GPS, as well as my toolkit from my trunk. Probably not worth a claim, so "Yay" another damn expense this summer. Why they'd choose my garbage car with it's Primer Paint trunk over all the nicer ones out there with actually valuable radios in them. Dammit.

I dropped my 70 gremlin off today to have the wheels aligned on Monday, got home and started thinking about the fact the 1970 hood release was on the outside (such a safer time). With everything under the hood being new... over 8 grand's worth... decided to drive back down there and put on a fat chain and padlock the hood to the bumper.

Yeah, some say I'm a pessimist... but to much crap has happened to me in the past, I prefer realist. If people will steal your dirty towels out of the washer at the laundry-mat, they'll steal anything if given half a chance.

Brian861
06-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Yeah, some say I'm a pessimist... but to much crap has happened to me in the past, I prefer realist. If people will steal your dirty towels out of the washer at the laundry-mat, they'll steal anything if given half a chance.

I believe that about people stealing things whole heartily. It's amazing what people will take whether they need it or not.

Rahfa
06-19-2016, 05:26 AM

Ugh - so lame. The window's worth a claim, though, right?

I don't even lock my car for just that reason - if they're going to steal, at least don't break a window too. Stupid methheads.

WeDealInLead
06-19-2016, 06:34 AM

I believe that about people stealing things whole heartily. It's amazing what people will take whether they need it or not.

Someone stole my sweaty towel from the park where I was running a month or so ago. I was doing a 5 km loop and when I came back to the bench, it was gone. Enjoy my groinal sweat, fucko.

Br!an
06-19-2016, 07:03 AM
https://outsidethebookx.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/towelie.jpg?w=294&h=390

RC65
06-19-2016, 08:16 AM
<--- Beware the number of this post.

Theli
06-19-2016, 09:55 AM
^For it is a human number...

Seth: sorry to hear about the theft. That's really shitty.

Theli
06-19-2016, 10:06 AM
New signed hardcover went on sale today. Out of my price range at the moment, but I'm sure someone here will be interested.
http://www.centipedepress.com/studieshorror/shininghc.html

TCCBodhi
06-19-2016, 12:06 PM

Ugh - so lame. The window's worth a claim, though, right?

I don't even lock my car for just that reason - if they're going to steal, at least don't break a window too. Stupid methheads.

Probably not, they at least went for the tiny rear vent window rather than one of the full size panels. Quick look at eBay shows around a $40 price and our mechanic will give a good deal if we can't do it ourselves. I rather doubt that the insurance would give us much for any of the stolen contents, so with deductible probably not worth it.

needfulthings
06-19-2016, 12:22 PM

Someone stole my sweaty towel from the park where I was running a month or so ago. I was doing a 5 km loop and when I came back to the bench, it was gone. Enjoy my groinal sweat, fucko.
PROBABLY A GOOD SAMARITAN DISPOSING OF YOUR LITTER.:doh:
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/701/udABun.jpg

herbertwest
06-21-2016, 08:56 AM
The Last Word: Stephen King on Trump, Writing, Why Selfies Are Evil
>>> http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/stephen-king-on-trump-20160609

The worst part of the job … this is weird, but I'm going to probably go see the Red Sox play this weekend. These autograph people always show up in front of the hotel and I can't go out and get a sandwich. I can't go out to a movie without brushing these people off. It makes you feel like you’re on stage, when you don't want to be on stage.

Theli
06-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Cool article, thanks for posting!

biomieg
06-22-2016, 01:09 AM
Pretty cool :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKAxKrxFys8

By the way, 'strandbeest' refers to the very creative work of one of my fellow countrymen, which you can check out here: https://www.youtube.com/user/strandbeestfilm

Most of them are actually propelled by wind only. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKTNd-t2iJg

herbertwest
06-24-2016, 01:41 PM
I will turn 30 in december, and since a few months i have that crazy idea in my mind that I kind of want to attend the Knotfest festival in tokyo in november (with Slipknot both nights, and disturbed, lamb of god & marilyn manson).
Frankly I have no idea why it didn't cross my mind that I could have seen Slipknot both nights in february for not much more money if I wanted to. Just didn't think about it. Moron.

Randall Flagg
06-24-2016, 01:46 PM
I love the BREXTIT. The US Dollar has not been this strong in 15+ years.

The price for a 1st Gunslinger DJ is still $600+ US, but now the Euro and the Pound are almost at parity. Not like the old days...

Tommy
06-24-2016, 01:47 PM
I finally got my mom to read a Stephen King book! She is a big Nicholas Sparks fan if that tells you the sort of books she likes. I got her to read Dolores Claiborne and she loved it! I can't think of too many others by him she would like because she doesn't care for anything too scary and she doesn't like supernatural elements either but I'm glad I got her to read one of his books!

bdwyer19
06-24-2016, 02:12 PM
I will turn 30 in december, and since a few months i have that crazy idea in my mind that I kind of want to attend the Knotfest festival in tokyo in november (with Slipknot both nights, and disturbed, lamb of god & marilyn manson).
Frankly I have no idea why it didn't cross my mind that I could have seen Slipknot both nights in february for not much more money if I wanted to. Just didn't think about it. Moron.

Fly to California in September. Ozzfest one night, and Knotfest the next.

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-24-2016, 02:25 PM

Now that sounds like a good plan :thumbsup:

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-24-2016, 02:27 PM
I finally got my mom to read a Stephen King book! She is a big Nicholas Sparks fan if that tells you the sort of books she likes. I got her to read Dolores Claiborne and she loved it! I can't think of too many others by him she would like because she doesn't care for anything too scary and she doesn't like supernatural elements either but I'm glad I got her to read one of his books!

I usually suggest the novels I disliked the most to my relatives, figuring if my warped brain loved it then they would enjoy the exact opposite:) Therefore I suggested Dolores, Rose Madder, and Lisey's Story :thumbsup:

herbertwest
06-24-2016, 03:40 PM

Don't say that... it's tempting.
Slayer, Devildriver (that once came nearby-ish Paris : i bought ticket but finished work late and it was 1h30 away from Paris, didnt have time to go), megadeth, anthrax, trivirum (saw them 10 years ago?), black sabbath, children of bodom, megadeth, opeth, disturbed....
Anyway, it's "too early" compared to my bday in december, and flights way more expensive than Tokyo :)

Tommy
06-24-2016, 05:45 PM

I usually suggest the novels I disliked the most to my relatives, figuring if my warped brain loved it then they would enjoy the exact opposite:) Therefore I suggested Dolores, Rose Madder, and Lisey's Story :thumbsup:

:lol: I almost could sell her on Rose Madder if it didn't have the part about the painting in there. Almost...

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-25-2016, 08:22 AM

:lol: I almost could sell her on Rose Madder if it didn't have the part about the painting in there. Almost...

:emot-roflolmao:

Sir_Boomme
06-25-2016, 08:24 AM
Car show yesterday... the old folks will understand the irony

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7645/27822859041_6b7b258daf_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7296/27798097112_6a5af30e93_b.jpg

Randall Flagg
06-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Brexit II?

TCCBodhi
06-27-2016, 02:38 PM
If there are any Denver area TDT members that would like to meet up, I'll be there from 7/2 - 7/7 for a choir performance on the 6th! It would be great to come to see you, have a drink/meal and/or come by and see your collection while I'm there. I'll mostly be in the Arts District. I'd love to meet some of you!

PM me or even email me at tccbodhi at the big google email system.

TCCBodhi
06-27-2016, 02:51 PM
Brexit II?

How about Texit Part ∞? Texans can be a special kind of stupid sometimes. While I appreciate the spirit of independence, the practicality of such ideas are just amazingly shortsighted (as was Brexit).

webstar1000
06-27-2016, 03:06 PM
So tired... Day 22 straight working 17+ hours a day.... 4 left and a day off. Expanding the company and moves to a new location.... So beat....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peripheral
06-27-2016, 03:09 PM
So tired... Day 22 straight working 17+ hours a day.... 4 left and a day off. Expanding the company and moves to a new location.... So beat....

Sweet Jesus. Please tell me you're getting reimbursed fairly for these hours!

Joe315
06-27-2016, 04:45 PM

I hope so. It's his company. (I think)

webstar1000
06-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Nope it's not mine boys.... My wife's father is president and my wife Vice President... I am a manager of one of the stores... I am just leaving now and it's 10 to 10 my time. I started at 5am this morning... Breaks only for bathroom and a quick bite. No extra cash unfortunately... Doing it to help my wife and her family... But it's sure is catching up to me:(

Randall Flagg
06-27-2016, 04:48 PM

He's moving of his own volition.
Who should pay/reimburse him?
Feel free to send him $10K (US Dollars everything else is worthless) if you are worried.

webstar1000
06-27-2016, 04:50 PM

He's moving of his own volition.
Who should pay him?
Feel free to send him $10K (US Dollars everything else is worthless) if you are worried.

No I will take books and artwork as well brother... Hell even Pesos!!

peripheral
06-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Wife's father is president? Wife Vice President?? I'm surprised you're allowed home at all! ;) Every Tuesday I work 16 hours - it's only one day a week but it breaks my cahones and I dread it every Monday night. Good work Kris...

webstar1000
06-27-2016, 04:58 PM
Wife's father is president? Wife Vice President?? I'm surprised you're allowed home at all! ;) Every Tuesday I work 16 hours - it's only one day a week but it breaks my cahones and I dread it every Monday night. Good work Kris...

Thanks so much. I do it for her:) she is the hardest working women I ever met. And she needs the help.. So i do it:)

Br!an
06-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Brexit II?

How about Texit Part ∞? Texans can be a special kind of stupid sometimes. While I appreciate the spirit of independence, the practicality of such ideas are just amazingly shortsighted (as was Brexit).

The Supreme Court already ruled on Texit. It isn't legal. The US is like the Mafia; once you join, you can never leave. Basically once Texas (or any other state) joined the union then they became an indissoluble part of the union. Like it or not, it is The United States of America. Not the "United Until Texas Wants To Take A Piss States of America."

If you want to change things; inform yourself and then speak up, show up, and act up. Don't just sit on your ass until the next election. Just voting for some douchebag that you have been handed by the two major parties isn't going to change anything. At least it won't based upon historical evidence.

If you don't want to be a citizen of the US then you always have the option to leave. Just renounce your US citizenship. See ya.

Merlin1958
06-28-2016, 05:05 PM
I'm going to be a "Grandfather" again in Feb 2017!!!!! Hoping for a girl, but as long as the baby is healthy that is what counts!!!

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-28-2016, 05:42 PM
I'm going to be a "Grandfather" again in Feb 2017!!!!! Hoping for a girl, but as long as the baby is healthy that is what counts!!!

Congratulations :clap:

zelig
06-28-2016, 05:47 PM
Congratulations Bill!

Pasiuk57
06-28-2016, 06:05 PM
I just became one for a second time 10 days ago. Sadly they are not in our state!

Merlin1958
06-28-2016, 06:16 PM
Thank you all. I'm pretty pumped!!! lol Soooooooo, looking forward to this event!!!

Randall Flagg
06-28-2016, 06:22 PM
I took my grandson to the King event in Reno. He had a great time and for a 7 year behaved perfectly.
Close examination of the video from the event will show that King's last question was directed to my grandson, but a "mule" grabbed the mike.
Fortunately the mule had her request denied by King with an emphatic ...."NO!"

My grandson had a question ready for King regarding "The revenge of lard ass Hogan".

The "mule" asked for her hat to be signed.

Merlin1958
06-28-2016, 06:25 PM
I took my grandson to the King event in Reno.
Close examination of the video fro the event will show that King's last question was directed to my grandson, but a "mule" grabbed the mike.
Fortunatelythe mule had her request denied by King with an emphatic ...."NO!"

I'm sure your "grandchildren" are blessed. I only have the "legacy" (Merlin IV) and the one on the way. Time will tell, yes? My best wishes to all the "Grandchildren" out there in our community and beyond!!!

Randall Flagg
06-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Close examination of the video fro the event will show that King's last question was directed to my grandson, but a "mule" grabbed the mike.

I'm sure your "grandchildren" are blessed. I only have the "legacy" (Merlin IV) and the one on the way. Time will tell, yes? My best wishes to all the "Grandchildren" out there in our community and beyond!!!

Merlin IV (the fourth)?
Sounds cool, but seems to put a lot of pressure on the heir.

Merlin1958
06-28-2016, 06:31 PM

Merlin IV (the fourth)?
Sounds cool, but seems to put a lot of pressure on the heir.

Yes, we all had to deal with it to a point. First born male child in, America (Big deal for, Germans). Now for four generations. Pressure? you bet!!! LOL We have all wiped our foreheads on the birthdays!! LOL LOL

tippy4
06-28-2016, 07:55 PM
I took my grandson to the King event in Reno. He had a great time and for a 7 year behaved perfectly.
Close examination of the video from the event will show that King's last question was directed to my grandson, but a "mule" grabbed the mike.

My grandson had a question ready for King regarding "The revenge of lard ass Hogan".

That was my mule (as you already know) who asked the stupid question.....but let's be honest....wasn't your grandson a sort of "mule" as well?....as I am sure he was not going to ask that lard ass Hogan question of his own accord....nor was he most likely buying the book for his own collection.

That said, I owe Dolores (and you) an apology, as she was in the middle of introducing me to your grandson after the event, and the situation at the moment required me to immediately shift my attention elsewhere. It was a necessary, but unfortunate rudeness, and I am sorry for it.

Theli
06-28-2016, 07:59 PM
Big congrats Bill! Got my fingers crossed the baby is healthy and happy (and the mom too)!

Randall Flagg
06-28-2016, 08:13 PM

That was my mule (as you already know) who asked the stupid question.....but let's be honest....wasn't your grandson a sort of "mule" as well?....as I am sure he was not going to ask that lard ass Hogan question of his own accord....nor was he most likely buying the book for his own collection.

I owe Dolores (and you) an apology, as she was in the middle of introducing me to your grandson after the event, and the situation at the moment required me to immediately shift my attention elsewhere. It was a necessary, but unfortunate rudeness, and I am sorry for it.

You are dead wrong about my grandson.

His introduction to Stephen King was reading the Lard Ass Hogan excerpt from Different Seasons. He loved it (as would be possible from at the time 5 year old). We watched the movie
-Stand by Me together.

My grandson's name is Jacob.

We (my wife and I) drove 4 hours from our home to the hotel near the Barnes and Noble Reno. Jacob was fascinated with the event. Jacob lined up at ~5:30 AM in anticipation.

Jacob had (has) a very cogent question regarding the ROLAH story.

A "mule"-apparently yours; stole the microphone.

As you said, you owe an apology to Dolores and myself.

We don't want nor need your apology.

My grandson was not a "mule".

Your "mules" were and are mules, and quite frankly-you are an ass for intimating my grandson was a mule.

I demand an apology from you to Jacob.

Patrick
06-29-2016, 12:37 AM
I'm not getting in the middle of your disagreement about the source of the Lard Ass Hogan question, guys, but the tone of the exchange about "mules" does bring up a question for me in general as perhaps I have been operating under false assumptions.

Like, if you ask someone to join you who isn't interested in getting a signed book and you cover their costs or buy them dinner or whatever - with the understanding that you'll receive the signed book, have you somehow denigrated them?

Members here seem to do this fairly frequently with significant others, family members, friends, etc. I've secured signed books for others at book tour stops and others have obtained them for me. I've never considered any of it insulting.

How do people here define "mule" in the context of booksignings, and is it a bad thing?

biomieg
06-29-2016, 01:25 AM
Congratulations, Bill!

Br!an
06-29-2016, 04:14 AM
How do people here define "mule" in the context of booksignings, and is it a bad thing?

I don't see family and friends as "mules." Dragging in a person off of the street would qualify.

jsmcmullen92
06-29-2016, 05:48 AM
Congrats Bill!

Patrick
06-29-2016, 06:23 AM
Congrats on the upcoming addition to your family, Bill. And congrats to Mike on the recent addition to his.

Thanks, BR!an, I see your point.

Ari_Racing
06-29-2016, 07:49 AM

Congratulations!!! That's one awesome news! :)

tippy4
06-29-2016, 09:02 AM
I'm not getting in the middle of your disagreement about the source of the Lard Ass Hogan question, guys, but the tone of the exchange about "mules" does bring up a question for me in general as perhaps I have been operating under false assumptions.

Like, if you ask someone to join you who isn't interested in getting a signed book and you cover their costs or buy them dinner or whatever - with the understanding that you'll receive the signed book, have you somehow denigrated them?

Members here seem to do this fairly frequently with significant others, family members, friends, etc. I've secured signed books for others at book tour stops and others have obtained them for me. I've never considered any of it insulting.

For the record, my "mule" was a legitmate King fan, and I offered her no money. She drove 5+ hours through the night, arrived at the B&N at 2am, and slept in her car (a Jaguar if you can believe it) in the parking lot, and was one of the first 10 people in line.. She saw King, I got the book, and B&N made a sale. A win/win/win. Unfortuantely, Jerome's Grandson lost the opportunnity to ask a question, and while I had no control over that, I am sorry that it happened.

I would define a "mule" as someone whose sole pupose was to be there to carry a book. And if they were paid to do so, I would not consider it denigrating....any more than I would consider it denigrating to hire an Uber driver to drive me to the airport.

That said, I do think that even when we bring a legitmate guest (spouse, friend, family member) to an event like this, and that guest is really not a collector/fan, and that couple walks away with two signed books, and one is kept and one is sold or traded, then I would say that guest is still something of a mule. And while it is not the most endearing term, I mean no disrespect with that at all. As Patrick commented above, members here do it all the time.

webstar1000
06-29-2016, 09:51 AM
My wife has come with me twice (the only chances I have had to go). Because I want her there... King fan or not... she is my best friend and she shares my excitement for these things. She got a signed book both times, and I sold/traded that to better my collection AND helped out some members here. Not sure what the issue is but I hope you guys work it out:)

PS: I hope no one calls that purdy lady of mine a mule... I can tell ya that. :onfire:

wizardsrainbow
06-29-2016, 10:10 AM
PS: I hope no one calls that prudy lady of mine a mule... I can tell ya that. :onfire:

NOT A BLOODY CHANCE! Your wife is an AWESOME person!