PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower Football Pick Contest - Super Bowl XLIII

NeedfulKings
01-19-2009, 03:50 PM
The picks are due by 5:00 p.m. (Eastern) on Super Bowl Sunday!

CLICK LINK FOR COMPLETE RULES
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=4188

Division Winners:

Arizona
Pittsburgh

Bonus Point:
Net Rushing Yards, Pittsburgh Steelers, 52 NeedfulKings, 49

Standings Cumulative (This Week)

Randall Flagg 177-89 (1-1 )
RUBE 176-90 (1-1 )
Arthur Heath 172-94 (1-1 )
Jon 172-94 (1-1 )
R of G 169-97 (0-2 )
Phoenix Ignition 164-102 (2-0 )
Nerak 160-106 (1-1 )
turtlex 158-108 (2-0 )
Chasing Dragons 157-109 (0-2 ) NP
NeedfulKings 153-113 (2-0 ) *
Steve 151-115 (0-2 )
Spencer 149-117 (2-0 )
BedOfRoses 147-119 (1-1 )
razz 137-129 (1-1 )
gsvec 136-130 (0-2 )
SpaceMaN 135-131 (0-2 )

*Standing reflects the bonus point win(s).

Congratulations to Phoenix Ignition, turtlex, NeedfulKings, and Spencer for having the best picks this week (2-0)!!!

Super Bowl XLIII, from Tampa, Florida

Sunday, February 1

Pittsburgh vs Arizona – 6:25 p.m.

BONUS POINT In addition to the Bonus Point being awarded, your guess may be used in the event of a tie for any prize level. For those competing for the last place trophy, you will not be awarded an extra point, but I still need a guess for potential tie-breaking purposes.

Net passing yards, Arizona (last week-267).

Good luck everyone!!!!

NeedfulKings
01-19-2009, 03:56 PM
With the last game upon us, I want to personally thank everyone who joined in on the contest. For those who left us along the way, come back next year--you're always welcome. For those who stuck it out, congratulations on a great season.

I know the Bonus Point wasn't popular with some, so we'll decide on that little gem next season. ;) I personally enjoyed the challenge of breaking down offensive and defensive match-ups and seeing how far off I actually was!:doh:

Nerak
01-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Pitt takin it all

Bonus

Randall Flagg
01-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Pittsburgh
Yardage 233

jayson
01-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Pittsburgh

Bonus: Net passing yards for Arizona - 225

And thank you NK for running this thing all season. This has been a lot of fun and I appreciate the time and effort you put into making it so. Thanks! :clap:

NeedfulKings
01-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks R of G! It's a lot of fun--even if I wind up near the bottom of the pack. :P

Steve
01-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Pittsburgh :panic:

Jon
01-20-2009, 01:05 AM
I liked the bonus. I just think it should stop at the wildcard playoff.

Go Flagg and Rube!!!!!

Jon
01-20-2009, 01:09 AM
"In addition to the Bonus Point being awarded, your guess may be used in the event of a tie for any prize level."

Sorry NK.

Please explain this in another way. I am not clear as to your meaning. Perhaps give an example. I understand how it works for last place but not others.

turtlex
01-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Good Luck Everyone!

Thanks very much NeedfulKings for running this pool every week !

Sunday, February 1

Pittsburgh vs Arizona – 6:25 p.m. ARIZONA

BONUS POINT
Net passing yards, Arizona (last week-267). 327

Phoenix Ignition
01-20-2009, 10:27 AM

Sunday, February 1

Pittsburgh vs Arizona – they don't stand much of a chance, but I'll go with Arizona. I'm locked in at 6th place anyway. :P

Net passing yards, Arizona (last week-267). - 298

Special thanks to Needful Kings, Randall Flagg and Bed of Roses and anyone else who put time and effort into insuring that the season go smooth and everyone have a chance to compete and have a great time following our beloved sport of football. I still admire my first place trophy from last year daily, and congratulate each of this years trophy winners on their success. Looks like we are down to the wire once again! Much love to all!
-K

P.S. I liked the bonus point feature (despite never getting a bonus point out of it) and whether we keep it or not, I look forward to next season! Peace!

Arthur Heath
01-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for running the show Need! Outstanding job to you and those who helped here and there.

Pittsburgh

Net passing yards of AZ - 198

jayson
01-20-2009, 11:00 AM
BTW, I liked the whole bonus question thing. I never won one, but I enjoy stats and this gave me an excuse to follow one more stat each week.

NeedfulKings
01-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks SO much to all!!!! Yes, BedOfRoses and Randall Flagg have helped me keep my sanity through this all. Kudo's to them!

It is a great contest and I (we) get our true reward when we mail out the prizes. I can't wait!!!! :grouphug:

"In addition to the Bonus Point being awarded, your guess may be used in the event of a tie for any prize level."

Sorry NK.

Please explain this in another way. I am not clear as to your meaning. Perhaps give an example. I understand how it works for last place but not others.

It's merely a disclaimer. In the event of a tie (or multiple) ties, we would like to reserve the right to award only one trophy for the main-level prizes. That's not saying we won't award multiple trophies--I just want to have a tie-breaker, just in case.

Even if you are not the bonus point winner, your guess may be closer than someone you tied with, thus making you the winner. Does that make sense? Again, a) it may not come to that or b) we may award multiple trophies.

Cheers all!

NeedfulKings
01-20-2009, 07:09 PM
BTW, I liked the whole bonus question thing. I never won one, but I enjoy stats and this gave me an excuse to follow one more stat each week.

That was my intent. I know there are a lot of folks who love stats! We'll see what role it plays next season.

RUBE
01-20-2009, 08:27 PM
I loved the bonus points. At least 4 of my wins are via bonus point.

Jon
01-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Many thanks to NK, BoR and RF. I think this provides another enjoyable element to a sport I already enjoy very much. Your hard work is very appreciated by me.

Superbowl pick

The Cards (I doubted them all the way. I must give them their due now.)

Bonus - 199 passing yards for AZ.

Spencer
01-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Sunday, February 1

Pittsburgh vs Arizona – 6:25 p.m. Arizona

BONUS POINT

Net passing yards, Arizona (last week-267). 347

SpaceMaN
01-23-2009, 01:57 PM
can i just say i pick whoever gsvec doesn't? That way it gives him/her a chance to tie, and I'll pass on a trophy if we do tie, I have one from last year.

I'm rooting for Arizona, if that matters.

gsvec
01-23-2009, 07:02 PM
:lol: I've been waiting for you to post so I could pic the opposite team!

SpaceMaN
01-24-2009, 09:50 AM
So should we actually pick then? I think Pittsburgh is going to win, so I'll take Arizona. I want them to win though.

gsvec
01-24-2009, 11:31 AM
SpaceMaN picks Arizona, I pick Pittsburgh!

Good luck to everyone!!
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa87/kattofix/smilies/klapphands.gif

Jon
01-25-2009, 01:12 AM
I just keep thinking about sheep running onto the field at half time and ... well just doing something that might embarrass BoR!

I'm just sayin'.

SpaceMaN
01-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Happy Birthday Bill!

NeedfulKings
01-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks!!! Just another year gone by. :)

turtlex
01-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Happy Birthday, NeedfulKings! Hope you have a great day!

NeedfulKings
01-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks, turtlex!!!

It was a great day--made special by my loving family. :couple:

Chasing Dragons
01-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey! Great year, you guys. Looks like there'll be a new champ in town! Good luck!!!

Cards. Yes, Cards.

NK!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! You are loved, dude and I hope you had a great day!

Jon
01-26-2009, 10:32 PM
NK and BoR...Love ya' both!

(Thanks for putting up with me this season, Bill.)

NeedfulKings
01-27-2009, 08:08 PM
You guys ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Thanks again.

So, for Sunday....

Arizona

Bonus- 254

NeedfulKings
01-27-2009, 08:18 PM
This is what I have so far. If you're missing a pick or a bonus pick (in parenthesis), get 'em in!!!

Randall Flagg - Pittsburgh
RUBE -
Arthur Heath - Pittsburgh (198 )
Jon - Arizona (199)
R of G - Pittsburgh (225)
Phoenix Ignition - Arizona (298 )
Nerak - Pittsburgh (200)
turtlex - Arizona (227)
Chasing Dragons - Arizona
NeedfulKings - Arizona (254)
Steve - Pittsburgh
Spencer - Arizona (347)
BedOfRoses -
razz -
gsvec - Pittsburgh
SpaceMaN - Arizona

Nothing's locked, so if you have a change of heart, that's fine!

jayson
01-27-2009, 08:28 PM
My city is on tv all the time now as the host of the Super Bowl. It's cool to turn on ESPN and see all the football shows airing live from Tampa. I keep trying to identify all the locales they are showing. I always think Tampa looks better on tv than it does here on the ground. :)

Jon
01-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Nk...why are some player's records shown in the above post and some not?

No big deal...just odd.

NeedfulKings
01-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Fixed, Jon!!! :) Thanks!

BedOfRoses
01-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Love, love, love to Bill for doing a great job on this contest! :wub: And thanks to everyone for a great season! :grouphug:

My pick: Arizona

Bonus- 325

SpaceMaN
01-30-2009, 02:06 PM
187 on a mothafuckin .... if you need it. it'll be more though, around 268.

me and gsvec have pretty much decided it, so if we tie, i forfeit the trophy. of course if i win it will be by 2 games and i must accept the trophy.

Jon
01-31-2009, 01:19 AM

me and gsvec have pretty much decided it, so if we tie, i forfeit the trophy. of course if i win it will be by 2 games and i must accept the trophy.

Yeah, If Heath and I tie for third, I will have to give it up as I made one bonus.

RUBE
01-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Why would you give it up because you made a bonus? I am pretty sure Heath made at least one and the bonus is part of the rules so it would not be like you cheated or anything. I would think you would just let this week's bonus decide it like Needful Kings put in the first post.

Anyway, sorry that I have not made my pick yet. You would think I would just pick Arizona so I would have a chance to tie RF but I am just not sure they can win. Then I got to thinking about this whole bonus thing and realized that I could still win by picking Pittsburgh if I won this weeks bonus. When I asked Needful around mid-season what would happen if someone got all of their picks right and the bonus he said that he would go back and change the overall record by one. Well that could happen if I picked Pittsburgh, they won, and I picked the bonus right. Then RF and I would be tied and I would automatically win the tie-breaker because I had won the bonus. Of course, this is a whole crap load of ifs that would have to fall in place so after a long debate I am picking....

Arizona

(yards coming soon)

Randall Flagg
01-31-2009, 11:07 AM
if I picked Pittsburgh, they won, and I picked the bonus right. Then RF and I would be tied and I would automatically win the tie-breaker because I had won the bonus.
Arizona) No. We would be tied for first-thus both receiving a first place trophy. If you pick the winner and nail the bonus you would in effect have 1 more win than I (I think that's the way it works) and thus you would take first and I would take second. We shall see.
If you pick Arizona and they win, but don't get the bonus point, we tie for first, and Jon or ??? wins third.

Randall Flagg
01-31-2009, 11:10 AM
I think we need the Commissioner to rule.
Bill?

gsvec
01-31-2009, 12:19 PM

Although I'd love to have it, you don't have to forfeit the trohpy if we tie, SM! I forgot all about the bonus point being the decision maker.

Question for Bill: Let's say SpaceMaN and I DO tie on the win/loss numbers so it goes down to the Cardinals net passing yards. If I'm closer, does that mean I'd get a 'win' and he gets a 'loss' and therefore, he has last place? Or does whoever's closer to the passing yards 'win' last place?

NeedfulKings
01-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Standings Cumulative (This Week)

Randall Flagg 177-89 (1-1 )
RUBE 176-90 (1-1 )
Arthur Heath 172-94 (1-1 )
Jon 172-94 (1-1 )
R of G 169-97 (0-2 )
Phoenix Ignition 164-102 (2-0 )
Nerak 160-106 (1-1 )
turtlex 158-108 (2-0 )
Chasing Dragons 157-109 (0-2 ) NP
NeedfulKings 153-113 (2-0 ) *
Steve 151-115 (0-2 )
Spencer 149-117 (2-0 )
BedOfRoses 147-119 (1-1 )
razz 137-129 (1-1 )
gsvec 136-130 (0-2 )
SpaceMaN 135-131 (0-2 )

Let me see if I can shed some light on this. Hell, you guys even have ME confused! :p I caution you NOT to worry too much about the final standings. We'll sort things out after the game. Just pick and play your best!

First place: If RUBE picks opposite RF and his team wins, they tie, if neither wins the bonus point. Last year we issued 2 1st place trophies and a 3rd place trophy (a total of 3 trophies). That's what we'd likely do this year. If RUBE and RF pick the same team and RUBE wins the bonus, they tie as well. I think that's how I see it....

Third place: This is a dead heat. If each player picks opposite teams, and one or the other does not win the bonus, the tie will be broken. If one or the other wins the bonus, or if they pick the same team, there could still be a tie. For this prize, we are reserving the right (as stated in the original post) to break that tie using the closest guess (of the two) at the bonus. We may also choose to award additional trophies at this level.

Last place: SpaceMaN has worked it out with gsvec that in the event of a tie, he'd be willing to concede the trophy to her. Gretchen, I am not awarding an extra point for you or Space. I was merely going to use that to break a tie (whoever got closest to the actual stat would be the Last Place Winner), but if your agreement with Space is fine, we don't need to worry. We may also choose to award additional trophies at this level.

The Bonus Point: With the exception of the last place contenders, a point will be awarded for the winner, just like any other week.

Ugh....:scared: I'll have to have my co-contest runner check all this out later. Jeanne and I understand all of your hard work to place and contend for these prizes and we plan to make sure you're all rewarded!

Good luck!!!!

NeedfulKings
01-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Then I got to thinking about this whole bonus thing and realized that I could still win by picking Pittsburgh if I won this weeks bonus.

I hope my clarification above helped. You're right--you could pick Pitt and hope for the bonus win to result in a tie. Early on in the contest, it was hard for us to predict how the bonus would come into play for this final game. I hope our resolve for all prizes seem fair in the end.

:grouphug:

RUBE
01-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Sorry, I did not mean to cause so much debate and confusion. That is why I went ahead with Arizona just to keep it simple.

Needful, thanks for running this whole thing and putting up with our crap.

Arizona Passing Yards: 233

NeedfulKings
01-31-2009, 09:05 PM
No apology needed. :couple:

Go Cards!! :D

Jon
02-01-2009, 03:29 AM
Good luck to everyone...especially the Cards...and especially by 8 points!

jayson
02-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Yes let's get this SuperBowl show on the road already. This city is congested like crazy with the tourist traffic. House parties everywhere last night. My friend saw Alec Baldwin at Target. Yes, Alec Baldwin was at Target. That's the only celeb sighting reported to me so far (unless you count a friend seeing two people from "Top Chef" but I don't). A little more than 5.5 hours to go and then the fighter jets come roaring over my house as I live in a direct line between the Air Force Base and the stadium. Craziness!

gsvec
02-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah, but you're lovin' it, Jayson - be honest. :lol:

jayson
02-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I love not being able to go to the grocery store, or it taking 25 minutes longer to get places than it should. It's a real treat. :)

LadyHitchhiker
02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
I've been a cardinal fan since grade school. I never thought in a million years I would get to see my team go to the superbowl. TO say I am excited is an understatement. Just that they have gotten this far. I really hope they win but if not there's always next year.

On the other hand my husband is a HUGE steelers fan but since they won the other year I think it's the cardinal's turn.

LadyHitchhiker
02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
And i'm so excited Bruce Springsteen is playing!!!!!!!!! :excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

NeedfulKings
02-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Pitt takin it all

Bonus

Pittsburgh
Yardage 233

Pittsburgh

Bonus: Net passing yards for Arizona - 225

Pittsburgh

Sunday, February 1

Pittsburgh vs Arizona – 6:25 p.m. ARIZONA

BONUS POINT
Net passing yards, Arizona (last week-267). 327

Sunday, February 1

Pittsburgh vs Arizona – they don't stand much of a chance, but I'll go with Arizona. I'm locked in at 6th place anyway. :P

Net passing yards, Arizona (last week-267). - 298

Pittsburgh

Net passing yards of AZ - 198

Superbowl pick

The Cards (I doubted them all the way. I must give them their due now.)

Bonus - 199 passing yards for AZ.

Sunday, February 1

Pittsburgh vs Arizona – 6:25 p.m. Arizona

BONUS POINT

Net passing yards, Arizona (last week-267). 347

... I'll take Arizona.

SpaceMaN picks Arizona, I pick Pittsburgh!

Cards. Yes, Cards.

Arizona

Bonus- 254

My pick: Arizona

Bonus- 325

after a long debate I am picking....

Arizona

Arizona Passing Yards: 233

I think I got everyone who picked!!! I think razz-amatazz is the only one missing. Good luck to all and have a SAFE Sunday!!!

I'll get the final standings posted tonight or tomorrow. I've got a few stats I've been keeping as the year progressed and I want to get them in the final thread as well.

NeedfulKings
02-01-2009, 02:09 PM
My friend saw Alec Baldwin at Target. Yes, Alec Baldwin was at Target.

:ninja: Was K-Mart closed?

:wtf:

I'd love the Super Bowl to come nearby, but since we don't have a team. A stadium. It rains a lot. Well, you get my point! :evil:

gsvec
02-01-2009, 07:05 PM
HOLY CRAP! What a great 4th Quarter!!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t292/smiliegirl2007/icon_touchdown.gif

NeedfulKings
02-01-2009, 07:21 PM
What an amazing finish!!! Dammit--that Cards HAD it in their grasp!!! :arg:

I'll get the new thread up soon. Congrats to EVERYONE!!!! :)