PDA

View Full Version : The Simpsons

Heather19
01-19-2009, 10:36 AM
How is it that this site has existed for so long without a thread dedicated to one of the best animated series ever.

Favorite episodes, charaters, etc. Lets Discuss!

http://assets.hulu.com/shows/key_art_the_simpsons.jpg

flaggwalkstheline
01-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Favorite character: Mr Willy
Favorite episode: the mary poppins spoof where mr willy sings "shes a maniac" as a one man band

jayson
01-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Hooray Heather. Now we can continue our ongoing Simpsons discussion. :)

Aside from the members of the family (particularly Homer and Lisa) my favorite character is Krusty.

Most of my favorite episodes are almost all from Season 4 and earlier...

The Front
Last Exit to Springfield
Kamp Krusty
Krusty Gets Busted
Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington
Homer's Barbershop Quartet (it has George Harrison in it, how could I not love it?)
I Love Lisa
Marge v The Monorail
Duffless
Separate Vocations

As I've said before, if the show had stopped after 9 seasons, it would be the most perfect show ever aired on television. Unfortunately, it didn't happen that way. There are now just as many mediocre episodes as there are good ones. Like I've said, there are still great jokes in every episode but if you watch the early ones (particularly seasons 1-4) the show used to have very solid stories as well. Now it's just a flimsy premise and a bunch of jokes.

Heather19
01-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Well I figured it was about time.

Most of my favorites are from the first few seasons as well.
The Call of the Simpsons
The Tell-Tale Head
Dancin' Homer
Kamp Krusty
and of course the early Treehouse of Horror episodes just to name a few.

And I just love Grandpa, how could you not.

jayson
01-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Definitely a long overdue thread. :)

The Tell-Tale Head and Krusty Gets Busted are both classics from very early on.

I remember knowing Krusty Gets Busted was something special when Bart and Lisa are in the Kwik-E-Mart looking through the magazines trying to figure out the robbery and Apu turns to them with a shotgun and says "This is not a lending library. If you're not going to buy something put it down or I'll blow your heads off." I'd never heard a joke like that in a cartoon before and I knew this show was something I would love.

And I agree, Grampa is hilarious.

"I was wearing on onion on my belt, which was the style at the time..." - Abe Simpson

Heather19
01-19-2009, 11:44 AM
:lol: I think Grandpa is one of the funniest characters on the show.

Marge: Grandpa, are you sitting on the apple pie?
Grandpa: I sure hope so...

And I agree. It's amazing some of the stuff they're able to get away with on that show. They don't really hold anything back. I also love how they're always taking jabs at Fox. They're probably the only show that can do that, most other shows would probably get kicked off the station in a sec.

jayson
01-19-2009, 11:51 AM
I think some of it has to do with Fox realizing they wouldn't have had a network if it weren't for the Simpsons.

From what I've heard on the dvd commentaries, a lot of it also has to do with the deal James L. Brooks signed with Fox when the show began which said the show will not deal with notes from the network. This is practically unheard of, but I guess with Brooks' track record, they knew he'd give them a hit so they backed off.

Brooks is also the reason the show had real stories when it began. He pushed the writers to make it feel like a real show about a real family that just happened to be animated. There are some very sweet moments in the first few seasons that make the show work on such a different level than other cartoons.

Heather19
01-19-2009, 11:56 AM
From what I've heard on the dvd commentaries, a lot of it also has to do with the deal James L. Brooks signed with Fox when the show began which said the show will not deal with notes from the network. This is practically unheard of, but I guess with Brooks' track record, they knew he'd give them a hit so they backed off.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. I'm really glad they were able to make a deal like that, otherwise I think it would have turned out to be a completely different type of show, and probably would have gone off the air years ago.

jayson
01-19-2009, 12:01 PM
No doubt. Without the free reign they were given we'd have been deprived of many jokes which probably made the show special for a lot of us. Because it was so wildly popular it remained on the air without interference from the network.

In contrast, look at Futurama. Much of the writing and directorial staff came directly from the Simpsons, but Fox didn't make the same hands-off deal with them this time and they never gave the show a permanent time-slot and thus, it was off the air in four seasons. Such a shame because in four seasons, they never did a bad episode. Actually, part of me likes that aspect of its cancellation. It remains perfect. Still, I'd have rather seen more.

Heather19
01-19-2009, 04:08 PM
I've never really seen much of Futurama. Just a few episodes here and there, but it's been ages. Maybe I'll check it out.

I really wish the show could get back some of what it had in the earlier seasons. Have they changed writers? I thought it was all the same group of people that were still working on the show, but it's definitely been lacking something lately. I actually turned the tv onto it last night and it was an episode I hadn't seen but didn't even watch it. Now that never happens with me and this show.

flaggwalkstheline
01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
While I'm not in the camp of people who think the shows quality has dipped in the last decade, I do think futurama is generally superior, its smarter, edgier and funnier than its predescessor (did i spell that right?)

obscurejude
01-19-2009, 04:42 PM
predescessor (did i spell that right?)

No. :P

I'm with Jayson concerning the quality of the series after season 4. It seems like they stick to a formula now and I got bored with it after awhile. That being said, I think to have a sitcom, animated or otherwise, run for 15 straight years is a phenomenal achievement. I still remember watching the short episodes on the Tracy Ullman show when I was a very little kid. The Simpsons will always have a special place in my heart.

jayson
01-19-2009, 05:17 PM
I really wish the show could get back some of what it had in the earlier seasons. Have they changed writers? I thought it was all the same group of people that were still working on the show, but it's definitely been lacking something lately.

There are a few writers from the beginning still there and some have come back, but the writing room there has always been a revolving door. I don't know that it can or will ever get back the old magic. There are only a finite number of stories they can tell and they've told them all, some more than once (which really pisses me the hell off). I think it'd be better if they just stop altogether.

I'm with Jayson concerning the quality of the series after season 4. It seems like they stick to a formula now and I got bored with it after awhile.

Five and six are still quite good, but the drift was definitely palpable at that point. By seven there were a handful of so-so episodes. Still, up to season 9 the good far outweighed the bad. Season 10 is when I stopped buying the dvd's because the ration of good to bad was no longer worth my money.

That being said, I think to have a sitcom, animated or otherwise, run for 15 straight years is a phenomenal achievement. I still remember watching the short episodes on the Tracy Ullman show when I was a very little kid. The Simpsons will always have a special place in my heart.

It's actually longer than that. This past season was #20. It is quite an accomplishment. Along with Gunsmoke, it is the longest running prime time show in television history.

It's impossible for me to describe how truly special the show is to me and my wife and our friends and my academic life. I had an Epistemology professor who was a huge Simpsons addict and, along with my friend Joe, we used to find analogies in the show for pretty much every philosophical piece we read for that class. Every paper I wrote for that class used something from the Simpsons to make my point clear. We drove the rest of the class crazy, but the professor loved us.

As far as the declining quality of the show, it's hard to argue that a single episode from the last 5 seasons or so could stand up against anything from Seasons 3 or 4. I'd gladly take that challenge with anyone.

Heather19
01-19-2009, 05:25 PM
I still remember watching the short episodes on the Tracy Ullman show when I was a very little kid. The Simpsons will always have a special place in my heart.

I still remember watching those as well. That's what got me hooked on the show. It's kinda funny to go back and watch those, or the first season because it looks so different from how it does now.
I think season 1 will always be my favorite. There's too many classic episodes in there.

If you think about it, it really is amazing that it's lasted this long, and still going. Especially considering it's an animated show. Those just don't see to fair as well as others.

obscurejude
01-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Great points Jayson. I was too young to appreciate the philosophical aspects fully when I was an avid Simpsons watcher (every Sunday). Its something I'd like to go back to now, and I plan on reading the Simpsons and Philosophy book as soon as I get out of school. I've really enjoyed the other books in that series and I'm sure the one on the Simpsons would be as thought provoking.

jayson
01-19-2009, 05:30 PM
The evolution from the Ullman shorts to the first three seasons to the middle years to the years when the show went completely digital is remarkable.

I especially love how the voice talent evolved. Dan's Homer has gone through so many changes and yet it's all still very much Homer. I think Dan Castellaneta is the single most talented voice actor in the universe. He's very much my hero and I'm fiercely proud that I can do quite a few of the voices he does. I only wish I could sing like him.

jayson
01-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Great points Jayson. I was too young to appreciate the philosophical aspects fully when I was an avid Simpsons watcher (every Sunday). Its something I'd like to go back to now, and I plan on reading the Simpsons and Philosophy book as soon as I get out of school. I've really enjoyed the other books in that series and I'm sure the one on the Simpsons would be as thought provoking.

You'll love it Ryan. I reread it every year. If they ever do a follow-up, I have several papers to dig up for submission. Episodes about Lisa in particular make for good fodder for philosophical debate.

flaggwalkstheline
01-19-2009, 08:41 PM
As far as the declining quality of the show, it's hard to argue that a single episode from the last 5 seasons or so could stand up against anything from Seasons 3 or 4. I'd gladly take that challenge with anyone.

See its always been my opinion that the early shows from the first three years seem rather primitive by comparison to the later stuff, they had their funny moments but I actually like the show AFTER season 3 better

jayson
01-20-2009, 05:55 AM
See its always been my opinion that the early shows from the first three years seem rather primitive by comparison to the later stuff, they had their funny moments but I actually like the show AFTER season 3 better

My dividing line is after season 9, not season 3. There isn't a single episode after that point that compares to anything from before that point. For me, Season 4 is the epitome of what the show was when it was in its prime. There is nothing from seasons 10-20 that can possibly compare with something from season 4. Like I said, after season 9 you can find a good joke here or a good joke there, but you will be hard pressed to find an entire episode that works from start to finish which has not only good jokes but a solid premise and a full story which resolves itself.

The Cosmic Geek
01-22-2009, 06:31 PM
My favorites were from the mid-seasons.

My all time favorite episode though is when they go to New York.

jayson
01-22-2009, 06:54 PM
My all time favorite episode though is when they go to New York.

It's a good one, and from season 9, within my range of the best episodes. The best part of that episode is Homer's flashback about his first visit to New York City. The way they animated the running of the pimp chasing Homer is classic.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Favorite Homer line:
I am not a man who is easily impressed...
Wow a blue car!

jayson
01-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Favorite Homer line:
I am not a man who is easily impressed...
Wow a blue car!

:lol:
They get a lot of mileage out of jokes like that.
Such as...

"I never apologize Lisa, I'm sorry, that's just the way I am."

Matt
01-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Or..."I'm not going to lie to you Marge"

**walks away**

jayson
01-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Perfect Matt, plus it's from one of the all time classic episodes Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment.

That episode has perhaps the best final line of any episode in the history of the show...

"To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems."

mate211
01-23-2009, 10:27 PM
The new episode will come tomorow :)
I loved the Shinning episode It wasnt the best but i laughed very much:) Here a video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yGJGTjV2WE
And here Stephen King :http://www.videoplayer.hu/videos/play/289095
Sry for the hungarian language

Heather19
01-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I love that one as well. All of the early treehouse of horror episodes were great.

Heather19
02-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I've been going back and watching Season 1. There are so many great episodes that season. And whatever happened to the Happy Little Elves. I don't think we've seen them in forever. They need to bring them back.

jayson
02-08-2009, 07:35 PM
And whatever happened to the Happy Little Elves. I don't think we've seen them in forever. They need to bring them back.

I think they disappeared around the same time the writers got around to figuring out Lisa's character. Once she was developed into more than just "8 year old girl" it became clear she was probably a bit above the Happy Little Elves. Of course Maggie could still watch it though.

Heather19
02-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Of course Maggie could still watch it though.

Exactly what I was thinking. It does seem too childish for Lisa, but it seems like they would be right up Maggie's alley.

jayson
02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Of course, they don't really write all that much for Maggie to do. A joke here a joke there. Otherwise she's a piece of the background.

After the most recent episode, I am more convinced than ever that it's time to pull the plug on the series. They are fast approaching the line of having as many sub-par episodes as great episodes and that's a real shame. When I can record a new Simpsons and not watch it for a week and half (and even have to be reminded that it existed before watching it) that's telling. I used to make sure to be home Thursday nights at 8, then Sunday nights when it moved. I've long ago given up on needing to see it as it airs, but I still usually watched the recording as early as possible. Now I watch them when there's nothing left in the DVR queue. It makes me sad. Thank goodness for DVD's.

Heather19
02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Well that's better than me. I think I've only seen maybe 1 1/2 episodes from this past season. And that's a shame. Crazy thing is, is that I have no strong desire to go and watch them. I'm sure I will someday, but I used to be the same as you. Wanted to watch it as soon as it aired, and if I wasn't home, I'd tape it and watch it immediately.
At least they've got many great episodes, that I can keep going back and watching again and again.

Matt
02-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm exactly the same way you guys. My son and I have been watching them together for years and now we're both like...meh.

I think his attitude has mostly to do with the fact that he could be on the phone whispering sweet nothings at his girly friend. :lol:

Mine is straight apathy.

jayson
02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I still feel compelled to watch them, I am a completist in many ways, but I am starting to regret the compulsion. The other problem is that the syndicated episodes they show on tv around here are limited to within a two season span, all crappy seasons, and they just run the same ones over and over. My only chance of seeing a good episode is on dvd. It only serves to make the good ones seem that much better, but I feel bad for younger people who may not be exposed to good episodes and think the show is just stupid hype. They're missing out on real comedy.

Heather19
02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I noticed that as well. I always put them on when I get home, they play it from 5-6 here, and the episodes they've been choosing to re-air haven't been the greatest lately. I wish they would show more from the earlier seasons, and not just past few recent ones. I can't remember when the last time was they aired an ep from one of the first 4, 5, or even probably 6th seasons. And look at how many great episodes there were then.

jayson
02-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I can't remember when the last time was they aired an ep from one of the first 4, 5, or even probably 6th seasons.

You can really go all the way through most of season 7 without really hitting a particularly bad one. After that, it's like a minefield and they keep adding more mines to it. If you took all the ones from post season 7 that are even close to comparable, you would be hard pressed to make two full seasons out of it (22-23 episodes per season). Before that, it was 7 solid seasons. Even the somewhat lesser ones from that time are a million times better than the best episodes from recent years.

Heather19
02-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Jayson, I think we just need to start writing the episodes for them.

jayson
02-10-2009, 02:35 AM
It used to be a dream of mine. Now I'm not altogether sure I'd want it to be made because nobody would watch it. :)

Heather19
02-16-2009, 03:52 PM
I just love Hans Moleman :lol:
He's got some of the funniest bits on the show.

YouTube - Boo-urns

jayson
02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
They've pretty much forgotten about Moleman. I liked when they used to have him in situation where he clearly would have died only to show up again in the next episode. He was doing that long before South Park had Kenny.

Ka-mai
02-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Did you guys see the new opening for the show? I seriously think that was the biggest mistake they could have made.

jayson
02-16-2009, 07:31 PM
It was a bit different for sure, but I don't think it's permanent. They haven't used it all season. I think it may be a one time thing. It didn't really bother me or anything though.

Also, the "biggest mistake" they made was continuing the show after season 9 or 10. :P

Ka-mai
02-17-2009, 01:03 PM
:rofl: Touche.

Okay, I just saw on CollegeHumor "new Simpsons opening" and I was like "...fuck."

jayson
02-17-2009, 01:08 PM
All in all, the new opening sequence was the least annoying part of the most recent episode. The continual drop in quality has gone from making me sad to making me angry.

Heather19
02-17-2009, 03:13 PM
I heard about the new opening, and wanted to see it, but go figure I went to do the dishes and forgot to check the clock, so when I went back it was already a few minutes into the show. I'll have to see if I can find it online somewhere.

And now that you mention it Jayson, your right, I haven't really seen Moleman around that much lately. I think that's probably why I forgot all about him. I just happened to be watching an episode yesterday and he popped up on the screen and I remembered how much I loved him. It's crazy all things he's survived through.

jayson
02-17-2009, 07:42 PM
The new open was very similar to the regular open, they just tweaked a few things here and there.

Moleman has survived a lot, even a date with Selma. :shudder:

Heather19
02-18-2009, 02:26 PM
:lol: I had forgotten all about that.
I also love how he's working all these odd jobs.

jayson
02-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Yes if there's an odd job it's usually filled by Moleman or Squeaky-Voiced Teen. They're the two hardest working guys in Springfield. :lol:

Ka-mai
02-19-2009, 02:05 PM
You guys forgot Gil!

jayson
02-19-2009, 02:28 PM
I forget nothing. :lol:

Gil typically only works sales jobs (to keep the Jack Lemon joke going) until they had that ridiculously stupid episode where he played Homer's lawyer. Gil was a great one-note joke, but that note got played out a long time ago.

Heather19
03-01-2009, 06:25 PM
So they had the new opening on tonights episode. I kinda liked it, especially Moleman getting run over :lol:. I wonder how long they'll keep it around for.
And I also loved the opening where they were playing characters from all the different sitcoms. I think that might actually be one of my favorites that I've seen. Have they used this one before?

Matt
03-04-2009, 02:57 PM
There was a pretty funny moment in the preview for this week's episode.

Gil and Homer outside his house:

Gil: Our entire company is shutting down, the CEO just barely got out with his 50 million

Homer: Is he okay? (very concerned voice)

Gil: Well...as okay as you can be in the north of France.

:lol: