PDA

View Full Version : UFOs?

flaggwalkstheline
01-19-2009, 08:45 AM
I dont know if theres already a thread for this but if there is it can get merged with this

Do u believe in UFOs? Aliens?
Thoughts n opinions?
the reason I'm interested:
I saw 3 UFOs last night
I was looking out my window and saw a bright blue light, then another, they were moving very quickly in circles for a few minutes
They stopped a good distance from one another and then thats when it got really weird, they each took a shape, the one on the left took a vaguely humanoid form somewhat like the south american "ancient astronaut" crop circles and the other like a small spiral, they stayed like this and their lights kept pulsing brighter and brighter, then a small red light appeared near the spiral light and started moving very quickly towards the other one, it got there circled it and the kept moving across the sky until it was out of my view

Then both of the shapes pulsed very brightly like lightning bright and were gone:panic:

jayson
01-19-2009, 09:18 AM
I "believe" in them in the most technical sense. In other words, I think people have seen flying objects which they cannot identify. I do not necessarily believe these are aircraft from other planets, but I also do not entirely discount the possibility. I am highly skeptical, but absent any definitive proof that we are alone in the universe, I cannot discount it entirely.

Daghain
01-19-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm with Jayson on this one. :)

jayson
01-19-2009, 10:24 AM
If Dags agrees, I know I'm right. :couple:

flaggwalkstheline
01-19-2009, 10:43 AM
after last night I'm a firm believer

Jean
01-19-2009, 10:48 AM
I "believe" in them in the most technical sense. In other words, I think people have seen flying objects which they cannot identify. I do not necessarily believe these are aircraft from other planets, but I also do not entirely discount the possibility. I am highly skeptical, but absent any definitive proof that we are alone in the universe, I cannot discount it entirely.

I'm with Jayson on this one. :)
Absolutely.

jayson
01-19-2009, 10:53 AM
after last night I'm a firm believer

Do you know if anyone else in your area saw anything like what you did? If so it would be interesting to compare stories with them.

idk, my bff jill?
01-19-2009, 10:58 AM
I'll just leave this here.

http://www.popculturebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/i-want-to-believe.jpg

Heather19
01-19-2009, 11:03 AM
I agree with you guys for the most part. I do believe that there is some form a life out there somewhere. There is so much beyond our little planet, that we know nothing about, nor ever will. Whether it's as advanced as us, or if it's just a tiny little microorganism, I have to think that there's a very likely possibility that something like that could exist.

jayson
01-19-2009, 11:10 AM
That's very much how I see it as well Heather. The universe is exceptionally vast (beyond our comprehension) so it is well within the realm of possibility that some form of life exists somewhere other than this one planet on which we reside.

What that life may be and whether it is capable of leaving it's world and making contact with another are other questions entirely, but I believe in the possibility that it's there. If they ever come to say hello, I'll believe more specifically.

http://planetsmilies.net/alien-smiley-130.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Ves'Ka Gan
01-20-2009, 10:26 PM
I think I am with the general consensus here, as well. The more interesting question (to me at least) is have you talked to other people in the area? I wouldn't shut up if I saw something like that!

Brice
01-20-2009, 11:50 PM
I too pretty much agree with the majority on this. I do consider it highly UNLIKELY that this planet alone has life of some form though.

obscurejude
01-21-2009, 08:21 AM
A little skeptical Flagg, but I think its cool that you started a thread and wanted to talk about your experience. :thumbsup:

LadyHitchhiker
01-21-2009, 09:46 AM
I want to believe is right...

LadyHitchhiker
01-21-2009, 09:46 AM
But I really believe the galaxy and the universe and the infinite amount of space, for this to be the only place of life? I think that's doubtful. Whether they're out probing our butts or stuff like that? Yeah, i don't know but I believe there is other life out there.

obscurejude
01-21-2009, 02:49 PM
I think life on other planets is unlikely, and I'd almost go so far to say its impossible. That doesn't mean I don't wish for it in some regards- See Radiohead's Subterranean Homesick Alien.

bluelph24
01-24-2009, 10:48 AM
i think that it is mathematically unlikely that earth is the only location of life in the infinite reaches of space. 1 in infinity is not good odds, to me. however, i think it equally unlikely that we could have been visited by life forms. and, not saying that there is intelligent life out there, but i think that there is life of some sort, somewhere

Emily
01-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm with the majority of the people here, I think the chance that there is life on other planets is much higher than the chance that there is not. There's a whole lot of universe out there.

This topic reminds me of this so I had to post it:
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii338/tempusfrangit/calvin-on-intelligent-life.jpg
I love Calvin and Hobbes

obscurejude
01-24-2009, 05:24 PM
i think that it is mathematically unlikely that earth is the only location of life in the infinite reaches of space. 1 in infinity is not good odds, to me. however, i think it equally unlikely that we could have been visited by life forms. and, not saying that there is intelligent life out there, but i think that there is life of some sort, somewhere

It depends on how you define "life." I'm too tired to go into that right now, but I don't deny that organisms live on other planets. There's too much conjecture, and we would have to discuss whether the universe is expanding, shrinking, or fixed.

bluelph24
01-24-2009, 08:45 PM

It depends on how you define "life." I'm too tired to go into that right now, but I don't deny that organisms live on other planets. There's too much conjecture, and we would have to discuss whether the universe is expanding, shrinking, or fixed.

by life i mean everything from us intelligent forms on down to single cell, flagella waving organisms. the way i understand it, earth is ideal for life. close enough to the sun so that it's not too cold, far enough away so that it's not too warm. ozone to protect from the sun. dynamo for that same purpose. that dynamo is fueled by a large enough satelite. warm enough for liquid water to be present. energy and carbon compounds in the water make life, life evolves. it is these reasons that i think intelligent life is unlikely. it's pretty specific on why life is here, but then you have to have all of the events in the past that lead up to life evolving into intelligence. i think that these specifications have to be somewhere else, due to the 1 in infinity bit, but it is doubtful that this life would've evolved in the same manner as on earth, or in a different way that would alow long distance space travel.

single cell organisms and simple life forms? sure
intelligent life? maybe
earthly vists? meh, not so much

mystima
01-24-2009, 09:08 PM
my mother told me about 3 friends she had when i was younger. all three were walking home one night. they were at a school function or other. they walked about two blocks when a bright light followed them to the first guy's house. the other two made sure that he made it into his house ok. then they ran all the way to the second guy's house still being followed by this light. the last guy again made sure his friend made it inside safely. the last one ran all the way home with this light still following him. he made it home safely called his friends and told them that it followed him all the way home. my mom was told this by all three guys at different times without the others knowing that they told her. the weird thing is is that there was not one helicopter or anything of that nature in site nor did they hear anything. i just thought that was weird as heck.:panic::scared:

Brice
01-29-2009, 06:30 AM

First we have to determine that space is infinite. Mathematically it is more likely finite. Still I'd say the odds are high that there are some forms of life other than just us on this planet...it is somewhat less likely there is complex life though.

jayson
01-29-2009, 07:03 AM
First we have to determine that space is infinite. Mathematically it is more likely finite.

My understanding is that cosmologists do believe there to be some evidence that there is an "edge" of the universe and that it does have a definitive shape. They also believe it is constantly expanding so finite, but getting larger. :)

Brice
01-29-2009, 07:06 AM
A klein bottle or something similar would explain infinite expansion without any growth.

jayson
01-29-2009, 07:31 AM
It would indeed. I've also heard a mobius strip used as an analogy.

Brice
01-29-2009, 07:33 AM
I have too. Recreationally I read quite a few physics books. :)

jayson
01-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Same here. I probably understand less than 10% of it, but that doesn't make it any less fascinating.

Brice
01-29-2009, 07:37 AM
I sometimes have to read things a couple times, but I can usually understand most of what I read...excluding some of the really high level math stuff.

jayson
01-29-2009, 07:44 AM
I often get what they are saying conceptually, it's the evidence (often in the form of high-level math) which I don't quite fully comprehend. It's the same with high-end music theory. I understand it conceptually and I can hear quite clearly how the concepts work, I just don't quite get some of the math on which it's based.

Brice
01-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Oh, I understand completely. I'm pretty good with math and some of it is way over my head.

flaggwalkstheline
01-29-2009, 07:49 AM
see I approach this stuff from a different angle, I believe in sufi/ jhanic style multiverse cosomology, (a concept explored in a fictional manner in the dark tower) and according to multiverse cosmology, the universe is infinite and in an infinite universe there are two major concepts : 1 all things are possible and indeed have happened and or are already happening, and 2 Time is an abstract concept, it is simply our way of measuring the movement of matter
so when all things are possible in a timeless endless state of existence then of course there is additional life somewhere