PDA

View Full Version : The touch = shining?

Adam,Son of Roland.
01-16-2009, 10:28 AM
In Winzard and the Glass, Roland Mentions Alian has the touch, when he describes what it is , it remiands me of the shineing. Is that the same gift as the kid int he shining?:orely:

Matt
01-16-2009, 10:30 AM
I think it's close, this is a great topic for a thread.

Don't be surprised if it gets moved further down in the site though, we have all kinds of great discussions going on.

Hannah
01-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi Adam, Son of Roland! Welcome to the site. :cool:

We have an area where we discuss the series exclusively, and I'm going to move this thread to that area. I'll leave a two-day redirect up in this forum though ... so people can find their way.

Darkthoughts
01-16-2009, 03:53 PM
To further the discussion, I'll change the title slightly too :thumbsup:

Brainslinger
01-24-2009, 05:41 PM
I think they're the same. Although it's possible one is a subgroup of the other, but I think not. They're both quite broad encompassing aren't they? I.e. different people will shine or, touch in different ways (oo-er).

AcidBumbler
06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
That's exactly what I thought, too... it does sound reminiscent of Danny's Touch.
I'd say so... maybe we should put Alain in a haunted building to find out for sure.

The Shining scared the hell out of me o.O

flaggwalkstheline
06-17-2009, 11:37 AM
I do think
The touch= Shining = potential breaker

pathoftheturtle
06-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Can't telekinetics be breakers, too, though? I would not say that characters like Carrie White or Charlie McGee (or even her father Andy) had the Touch.
I think that the Shining means telepathy, but does or can include prescient clairvoyance and spiritism, just like the Touch. However, the dialect of Mid-World, also has "The Sight" which primarily means precognition. (Like The Dead Zone, I wonder?) Is this a separate kind of talent? I think so... but I'm not sure. Those are possibly related.:orely:

ola
06-18-2009, 01:01 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. Danny's and Hallorann's talent seem really similar to what people with the Touch in Mid-World have, but then again the people from Earth seem to have very specifically-labeled abilities. "Shining" seems more similar to what Jake and Alain have then, say, the Breakers. More like "seeing" and talking telepathically to people you are linked to in some way - rather then being able to use your powers as a weapon, or to move things.

Archangel(tjk)
06-19-2009, 08:30 AM
I can not remember where exactly but doesn't Mother Abagail, in the Stand, equate the two for us. She is reminiscing about these mental capacities of certain individuals, and she remembers her grandmother/mother (I don't remember which) telling her about it and listing off the different names for it, but she calls it the Shine because that is what the bible calls it, but i am pretty sure she calls it the Touch as well because it was as if God had reached out and touched the minds of the people who have it.

ola
06-19-2009, 11:18 PM
That seems to fit.

I've got a feeling that I should read The Stand someday soon.

jackiejdajda
06-21-2009, 08:18 AM
The 'touch' is an important part of Stephen Kings stories IMO.

The Green Mile says it all.. I remember Mother Abagail in The Stand.. she was such an 'emotional importance' for me.. she was one of the good guys.. (don't want to put a spoiler in here)..

I wish I could find The Stand in audible but I can not.. I want to be able to listen to it.. be told the story..

In Wizard and Glass The Stand IMO is very much present.. the super flu and biological weapons.. I do not remember any 'thinees' but its been a while..

Jackie

Brainslinger
06-21-2009, 05:22 PM
In the Stand there are no thinnys. But then again America is a big place, and it could have appeared after the events of the Stand. Interestingly (is that a word?) I did read a reference to a green palace (the section concerning Lloyd I believe) but I think that was something else entirely. That's assuming it's the same world, which might not be quite true as the dates of the superflu are different. At least they are if you compare the dates of the superflu in Wizard and Glass to the dates of the unabridged version of the Stand. I don't know the dates in the original Stand novel though, but I thought it was the 70s.