PDA

View Full Version : Step Over to the Dark Side...Have You Converted Anyone? How did you do it?

Pages : [1] 2

Erin
08-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Ever since I finished the final book in the Dark Tower series, I've been on a mission to convert as many of my friends and strangers as possible into fellow fans.

So far I've gotten 4 friends (including Chris, the manager on this site) into the series, several strangers I've met at work who were Stephen King fans, but not Dark Tower fans and I just recently got my 16 year old cousin to read The Gunslinger and he's hooked!

Who have you convinced to read the Dark Tower and what are your stories?

Letti
08-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Just one person, one of my ex-classmates but he is deep in love with the series. :D

Darkthoughts
08-14-2007, 11:32 AM
My friends' son (who is GORGEOUS, but alas only 20 :( ...:lol:) He hadn't read a book since leaving school. I lent him EotD, and once I'd hooked him that way I sent him directly to The Gunslinger...he just started DotT last week :thumbsup:

I got my sister into DT around the release of Wolves...I just couldn't bear not having someone to obsess with :D

funky dredd
08-14-2007, 11:53 AM
My nephew and my son. My son is only six and although he can't really read we listen to them on audio in the car. Whenever a bad word comes across he makes sure by asking me "Daddy was that a bad word"? Of course I answer yes :D
But it amazes me that he actually listens to the story and follows it very well. He'll even ask me questions about it!

Wuducynn
08-14-2007, 11:57 AM
My friends' son (who is GORGEOUS, but alas only 20 :( ...:lol:)

I bet..cradle robber. What else did you "hook" him on? Hmmmmmmm?

Darkthoughts
08-14-2007, 12:01 PM
:evil: I have no idea what you're talking about!...:innocent:

Matt
08-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I push it on everyone of my kids and people at work.

I think only a few have really enjoyed it enough to go total fan crazy like I am.

Erin
08-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Have any of your kids read them Matt?

Matt
08-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Dawn got through the first couple I believe and then life stepped in with the baby and marriage. I feel like she will finish them one day. Kate is my next target. :lol:

They come by here and look around every now and then from what I hear, which is very cool.

MonteGss
08-14-2007, 08:55 PM
I got my sister to read the series. She is a fast reader (even faster than me!) and read the whole series in like five days I think. She is an absolute Harry Potter psycho and in her mind DT doesn't even come close to being as good a series. Don't get me wrong, she liked it but we won't see her joining the site or anything. :(

Letti
08-14-2007, 09:11 PM
I wish I could convince more people to read it but when they hear it has 7 parts... *sigh* :(

Daghain
08-14-2007, 09:43 PM
I'd get DBF to read it but he's such a nitpicky PITA about books sometimes that I would probably end up defending all the actions of the ka-tet to him. :lol:

I think I'll let him stick to sci-fi.

Besides, it's no fun to give your boyfriend a smackdown when he tries to tell you he can edit the wiki better than you can. :lol:

Wuducynn
08-14-2007, 09:48 PM
I wish I could convince more people to read it but when they hear it has 7 parts... *sigh* :(

This is exactly the problem I have. Also, the dread question from folk I talk to about it.."So, whats it about?"...."uhhhh uhhh it's kind of about uhhhh"

Letti
08-14-2007, 09:52 PM

This is exactly the problem I have. Also, the dread question from folk I talk to about it.."So, whats it about?"...."uhhhh uhhh it's kind of about uhhhh"

Oh so familiar! :lol:

fernandito
08-16-2007, 08:35 AM

Oh so familiar! :lol:

I've had this problem too. :) It's kind of hard to explain to someone how different elements such as gunslingers, light sabers glowing sticks, insane trains and 80 foot bears come together to make an excellent story. :rock:

sarah
08-16-2007, 04:32 PM
It's a fantastic griping quest that involes things that creak pound crack race die live hot cold thirst starvation mountains and so on and so on and so on and so on

well that at least is what I tell people. But really, it makes me sad when they say "that sounds cool" and then never read it. My friend actaully owns the gunslinger and hasn't read it yet. It has now been well over two years now. :(

I've found that you can't force the love of the tower on anyone. they just have to discover it themselves.

Daghain
08-16-2007, 10:40 PM
I agree. I just had a user on another board I frequent go "SEVEN? SEVEN? Holy cow:lol:

We'll see. My mother is convinced I've lost it. LOL.

But, she IS happy I'm OCCUPIED. :lol:

You figure it out:lol:

Wuducynn
08-17-2007, 05:11 AM
My mother is convinced I've lost it. LOL.

She's right. But "having it" isn't that great anyway...

Matt
08-17-2007, 06:22 AM
I just got a new idea for a thread. :rock:

Girlystevedave
10-15-2007, 06:35 PM
I've converted my boss. I'm trying to convert my mom right now. She's on book #3.

Wuducynn
10-15-2007, 06:45 PM
I've converted my boss. I'm trying to convert my mom right now. She's on book #3.

Well if shes gone that far it sounds like you've already got a convert. :cool:

Letti
10-15-2007, 09:41 PM

Good job. :)

Storyslinger
10-16-2007, 08:34 AM
I've converted two of my friends, my boss, and a bum of the street

Erin
10-16-2007, 01:56 PM
How did you convince the bum?

Matt
10-16-2007, 02:41 PM
wet willy

Darkthoughts
10-17-2007, 02:47 AM
:lol:

My sister is just getting some glitches sorted out with her pc and should be here soon:thumbsup:

Letti
10-17-2007, 03:11 AM

My sister is just getting some glitches sorted out with her pc and should be here soon:thumbsup:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/smiley/Snoopy.gif

Storyslinger
10-17-2007, 04:58 AM

I actually see this guy most days on my lunch break

I was reading in the park one day, The Gunslinger unrevised, and he comes up and says 'hey what's ya reading' I said to my self, "I already have two copies of this so I just give him this one

So, long story short, he read the book, came back and talked to me about two weeks later and said how great the book was, I told him it was a series and he actually got a job so he could get the rest of the books.

flair
10-17-2007, 05:09 AM
My girlfriend asked me to put a few audio books on her ipod the other day. She said she wanted to listen to whatever I was listening too which happened to be stephen king. Surprisingly she really like it, and blazes through them as fast as I do. My next step is to throw the gunslinger on it, and hope she gets passed that and into TDoTT. If she isn't hooked by then...:rolleyes:

Wuducynn
10-17-2007, 05:30 AM

I was reading in the park one day, The Gunslinger unrevised, and he comes up and says 'hey what's ya reading' I said to my self, "I already have two copies of this so I just give him this one

So, long story short, he read the book, came back and talked to me about two weeks later and said how great the book was, I told him it was a series and he actually got a job so he could get the rest of the books.

Thats awesome. Hopefully he keeps the job after he finishes the series.

Letti
10-17-2007, 05:41 AM

What a brilliant story.
You rock, Brian.

Storyslinger
10-17-2007, 06:02 AM
Sadly, I haven't seen him in a while, wondering if he held down the job

Girlystevedave
10-17-2007, 05:57 PM

I bet you felt so proud:thumbsup:

ZoNeSeeK
10-18-2007, 12:29 AM
4 people i think .. diem, my brother, diems step dad and now diems step mum is reading it and she loves it

Storyslinger
10-18-2007, 06:59 AM

I bet you felt so proud:thumbsup:

Nah, just glad someone else could share Roland's world

Wuducynn
10-20-2007, 11:13 PM
I've tried twice recently to convert a couple of folk to Dark Tower-ism and it didn't work. They both have nice lots in the nearby graveyard and I stop by and have a good chuckle to myself thinking "oh what you missed out on and the price you paid because of it."

Erin
10-20-2007, 11:17 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm glad I'm on your good side.

wait...I am on your good side arn't I? :looks around nervously:

Wuducynn
10-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Of course you are.

Erin
10-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Phew. Good. I didn't want to get shanked or anything.

Wuducynn
10-20-2007, 11:20 PM
I would never shank anyone. Thats not my style.

MonteGss
10-20-2007, 11:20 PM
A girl at work tonight stopped and told me that she was at the used book store yesterday and saw a copy of The Gunslinger. She bought it cuz I always bring it up whenever possible at work. :) I've only had success with getting two people to read DT1. :( I think my sister is the only person I've converted who's read it all.

Erin
10-20-2007, 11:21 PM
I would never shank anyone. Thats not my style.

You seem like more of a "rip you apart with my bare hands" kind of guy.

Wuducynn
10-20-2007, 11:27 PM
You seem like more of a "rip you apart with my bare hands" kind of guy.

I'm a lover not a fighter. :huglove:

Wuducynn
10-20-2007, 11:29 PM
A girl at work tonight stopped and told me that she was at the used book store yesterday and saw a copy of The Gunslinger. She bought it cuz I always bring it up whenever possible at work. :) I've only had success with getting two people to read DT1. :( I think my sister is the only person I've converted who's read it all.

No one where I work seems to give shit one about reading ANYTHING. Its sad. I bought a used copy of The Gunslinger and talked to this guy about the Dark Tower series for awhile and gave it to him because he said he was interested...have I heard back about it? No.

MonteGss
10-20-2007, 11:35 PM
You can't expect people to read when there is good/crappy television to watch and waste away in front of, can you?

I like that approach though, if I had extra copies I'd probably do the same thing. I've offered my brother the mp3s in an attempt to bring him over but he hasn't accepted.

Wuducynn
10-20-2007, 11:40 PM
I am talking about folk who are readers and I have a hard time getting even them interested in the Dark Tower series. I think it has something to do with the Dark Tower not falling easily into an easily pegged hole that they can understand..I've heard King fans say they're not interested because its not normal King.

MonteGss
10-21-2007, 12:07 AM
I hear ya. One question I always get is: "Is it fantasy?"
I also hear "King books are too scary."
It's funny though, I started reading King books cuz of IT (and it's creepy cover with the paper sailboat) and afterwards went back and started from the beginning (carrie). I became a King fan so I read (or tried) all of his novels he had written. I didn't skip TDT, I just looked for more King books. *shakes head in confusion*

Storyslinger
10-22-2007, 06:55 AM
I've tried twice recently to convert a couple of folk to Dark Tower-ism and it didn't work. They both have nice lots in the nearby graveyard and I stop by and have a good chuckle to myself thinking "oh what you missed out on and the price you paid because of it."

THAT IS FUNNY, but only if 'you' think its funny:unsure:

ZoNeSeeK
10-23-2007, 01:23 AM
I think only true king fans appreciate the Dark Tower ;)

Wuducynn
10-23-2007, 05:28 AM
Agreed.

Storyslinger
10-23-2007, 07:08 AM
Second that:)

Rolands_Father
11-03-2007, 06:02 PM
I agree with that also!

However when it comes to getting people to read this series, it is difficult, since the novels were written over such a long period of time, which causes the writing style to greatly vary between books.
The first book is probably the most different of all, and is therefore the most difficult to get people to read. But Once they get about 10 pages into the book, I can pretty much guarantee...

THEY WILL BE HOOKED!!!!:thumbsup:

Letti
11-03-2007, 06:10 PM
I agree with that also!

However when it comes to getting people to read this series, it is difficult, since the novels were written over such a long period of time, which causes the writing style to greatly vary between books.
The first book is probably the most different of all, and is therefore the most difficult to get people to read. But Once they get about 10 pages into the book, I can pretty much guarantee...

THEY WILL BE HOOKED!!!!:thumbsup:

Well done. :dance:
They can only win.

Ikilledthecrimsonking
11-03-2007, 06:18 PM
just got Lauren to read The Gunslinger after 3 years of convincing my life goal is complete

Kevin
11-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Two friends, two teachers, one brother, one cousin, one neighbor, 3 co-workers.... :D

Letti
11-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Two friends, two teachers, one brother, one cousin, one neighbor, 3 co-workers.... :D

That's a nice list above.

Rolands_Father
11-04-2007, 07:32 AM

Wow!!!:)

Thats Very impressive! How did you do it!!!!:orely:

Kevin
11-04-2007, 09:24 AM

I bought one of the friends DT1 as a birthday present. The other friend was in the hospital with an eating disorder so I gave her the whole series to read, she read it in two and a half weeks.

Mostly just bugging them until they read it. I havent had my complete set in a year and a half because I lend them out as fast as I get them back. One of the teachers was an ex-university literature teacher who had never touched SK because it was popular fiction. I wrote an essay for his class (he now teaches high school) about the series and instead of handing it too him in class I put it in his inbox wih DT1 and he's been hooked since. :)

THe three coworkers were huge HP fans that I always argued with about which series was better, my argument being that they had no way to compare until they read the series, since I had read both. :)

Matt
11-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Very impressive strategy :cool:

Have them sign up and its all kinds of money towards poker :lol:

(500 per referral)

Letti
11-04-2007, 11:01 AM

I bought one of the friends DT1 as a birthday present. The other friend was in the hospital with an eating disorder so I gave her the whole series to read, she read it in two and a half weeks.

Mostly just bugging them until they read it. I havent had my complete set in a year and a half because I lend them out as fast as I get them back. One of the teachers was an ex-university literature teacher who had never touched SK because it was popular fiction. I wrote an essay for his class (he now teaches high school) about the series and instead of handing it too him in class I put it in his inbox wih DT1 and he's been hooked since. :)

THe three coworkers were huge HP fans that I always argued with about which series was better, my argument being that they had no way to compare until they read the series, since I had read both. :)

You are a professional DT junkie maker.

Matt
11-04-2007, 11:33 AM

:rofl:

that should really be a member title.

Letti
11-04-2007, 11:39 AM

:rofl:

that should really be a member title.

Good idea. :D

Rolands_Father
11-04-2007, 01:17 PM

Let's see, the birthday present is a great idea! Why havent I thaught about that.
And your ex-university literature teacher sounds alot like my uncle! He is a retired school teacher and used to tell his kids that when they did a report on american authors they could do it on any author...EXCEPT STEPHEN KING!!!!!!!
Such evil!You have no idea what my face looked like when I heard this news!
As a matter of fact I'll show you...

:onfire: :pullhair:

Yeah! You could see the smoke bellowing out of my ears! So, fuming, I storm off to my bookshelf and picked up the stand! I went back to my living room and put that novel x10 into his hands. After he summoned the strength to lift it up, he started looking through the pages. I'll show you his face at the time...

:orely:

Needless to say he could not believe that this was popular fiction! He could not believe it was written by Stephen King!
I got him to read it and he soon changed his mind!(not IT, i mean The Stand!)

Well anyway that's my story. My face at the time...

:thumbsup:

Letti
11-04-2007, 02:17 PM
And my face at the moment: :couple:

Rolands_Father
11-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks so much!

flair
11-07-2007, 12:22 AM
My girlfriend asked me to put a few audio books on her ipod the other day. She said she wanted to listen to whatever I was listening too which happened to be stephen king. Surprisingly she really like it, and blazes through them as fast as I do. My next step is to throw the gunslinger on it, and hope she gets passed that and into TDoTT. If she isn't hooked by then...:rolleyes:

She made it to drawing, and was thrown off at first. I think she is now officially hooked now that she is about 100 pages in.

Storyslinger
11-07-2007, 06:18 AM
Way to go flair:thumbsup:

Matt
11-07-2007, 07:37 AM
My daughter got through the first 4 before she kind of lost interest but I think that had to do more with life changes (baby, marriage) than not liking the story.

gunslinger19
11-09-2007, 05:23 AM
I have gotten one and a half. My two best friends. One got instantly hooked and read the whole series twice. The other finished Wolves of the Calla over a year a ago and stopped. I asked him if he didn't like them, he said he loved them, but he just had other things to read. He is a high school english teacher, but I still think he was just placating me. He says he is going to finish the books, when he gets time to read contempary literature. He also says the same thing about Harry Potter which he stopped after The Goblet of Fire, but I am pretty sure he wasn't impressed by Harry Potter.

Erin
11-09-2007, 09:56 PM
How could anyone not be able to pick up the next book after The Goblet of Fire or Wolves of the Calla? :o

Wuducynn
11-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Seriously. Wolves of the Calla ends with one of the biggest cliff hangers in the whole series.

Ruthful
11-09-2007, 11:00 PM
I've had similar problems convincing friends to try out The Dark Tower

When I casually mentioned the length of the series to a friend during an IM conversation I could almost envision her eyes popping out of her head.

I can't say that I've convinced anyone to become a Tower junkie through personal contact, but there have been people online who started reading it. I can't claim credit for them, but I'm sure that my promotion of this work-in my every day discussions on various message boards-was a contributing factor.

Wuducynn
11-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Thank you for spreading the word Ruthful my man.

Ruthful
11-10-2007, 02:31 AM
It's my pleasure.

The funny thing is that juxtaposed against other Tower junkies-my confreres on this board-I would place myself somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, but it's a bit different when we're speaking of non-King fans, or people who haven't touched upon any part of The Dark Tower.

I recall an encounter I had in a bar in Chinatown a few years ago. There was a cute blond waitress there who I thought was named Cort. It turns out that was a diminutive for her name, Courtney. But the first thing that jumped into mind was The Gunslinger, notwithstanding the fact that finding a woman in her mid-20s who was named after an ancillary character in one of King's more obscure works tending bar in NYC would be an extremely bizarre coincidence.

I guess it just demonstrated that I was more of a junkie than I had previously assumed.

gunslinger19
11-10-2007, 07:43 AM
How could anyone not be able to pick up the next book after The Goblet of Fire or Wolves of the Calla? :o

Believe me I can't even begin to imagine. I think he actually liked The Dark Tower, but I don't think he ever loved it on the level of people like us. As for Harry Potter I have the sneaking suspicion that he didn't care for the books.

Storyslinger
11-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Seriously. Wolves of the Calla ends with one of the biggest cliff hangers in the whole series.

I'll agree with ya on that one

Letti
11-11-2007, 07:37 PM
It's so strange that people don't like long books.
My favourite type of book:
- incredibly long
- very heavy
- itty-bitty letters
- very thin pieces of paper
- lots of descriptions

Storyslinger
11-12-2007, 06:30 AM
I totally agree, though it is getting harder to read those little bitty words

Kevin
11-12-2007, 03:03 PM
It's so strange that people don't like long books.
My favourite type of book:
- incredibly long
- very heavy
- itty-bitty letters
- very thin pieces of paper
- lots of descriptions

Sounds incredibly similiar to ANY James A. Mitchener book. Oy vay, those are long.

Letti
11-14-2007, 03:44 AM
I cannot stand those books that seem to be long because of the damn big letters and they can be sold for more money, too. Because they seem long.

Jean
11-14-2007, 04:50 AM
I cannot stand those books that seem to be long because of the damn big letters and they can be sold for more money, too. Because they seem long.
Yes! and that thick paper, too! You think, oh what a big book, it will last me at least a few wonderful days - and then you're cheated.

Storyslinger
11-14-2007, 08:22 AM
On this note, I was shocked by how big a hardcover version of From a Buick 8 became. What a waste

Jean
11-14-2007, 09:47 AM
I have personal reasons for hating hardcovers, and big formats. I always bring books from abroad, and I can't cram my suitcase full of those huge monsters, or I'll get such overweight they won't let me into the plane.

Letti
11-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Yes! and that thick paper, too! You think, oh what a big book, it will last me at least a few wonderful days - and then you're cheated.

*drums*

And we agree again. (incredible)
You speak from my heart.

fernandito
11-14-2007, 10:16 AM
And if they do let you on the plane, they'll probably charge you absurd amounts of dollars for every pound that's over the limit you're allowed to carry.

*Directed at Jean's Post*

Jean
11-14-2007, 10:19 AM
And if they do let you on the plane, they'll probably charge you absurd amounts of dollars for every pound that's over the limit you're allowed to carry.

*Directed at Jean's Post*

Precisely. And I don't even have these dollars, because every time I would have already spent every one of them on books.

To bring the thread back to topic: all my students read King, and some of them become truly converted!

Brice
11-14-2007, 10:54 AM
So when can we expect to be inundated with Jean's students? :D

Jean
11-14-2007, 10:59 AM
So when can we expect to be inundated with Jean's students? :D
any day now... no, alas, they are all burdened with jobs and families and stuff... but I don't lose hope

Brice
11-14-2007, 11:05 AM
they should get their priorities in order. :lol:

fernandito
11-14-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm close to turning another friend of mine over to the dark side, the following conversation is between him and myself:

Friend : "I got a hold of one of those dark tower comics the other day, pretty good shit"

Me: "I told you! You should check out the novels as well, I like them even better."

Friend: "Good?"

Me : "Fuck yeah!"

Friend: "Fuck it, you convinced me"

Letti
11-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Pretty good shit... and it means something positive... sometimes English language has some nice surprises for me. :)

fernandito
11-14-2007, 01:04 PM

Yes, I must admit, it is a pretty unorthodox way of praising something, but it seems to get the job done. :D

fernandito
03-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Alright, so this past Thursday a lady co worker of mine saw me reading The Hobbit and she told me how much she loved the book. She asked me if I had read the Narnia novels, I told her I hadn't but was planning to, and she offered to lend me the complete volumes (which I gladly accepted); Immediately, I thought of returning the favor and I asked her if she would be interested in starting The Dark Tower :D At first she declined, stating that King was too scary for her. I quickly dispersed her doubts, telling her that the series was about a long journey/quest , and was heavily influenced by the Lord of The Rings. She gave in, and I let her borrow the Gunslinger and The Drawing of The Three friday afternoon. Let's hope that her interest was piqued enough to want to keep reading the series!

Wuducynn
03-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Alright, so this past Thursday a lady co worker of mine saw me reading The Hobbit and she told me how much she loved the book. She asked me if I had read the Narnia novels, I told her I hadn't but was planning to, and she offered to lend me the complete volumes (which I gladly accepted); Immediately, I thought of returning the favor and I asked her if she would be interested in starting The Dark Tower :D At first she declined, stating that King was too scary for her. I quickly dispersed her doubts, telling her that the series was about a long journey/quest , and was heavily influenced by the Lord of The Rings. She gave in, and I let her borrow the Gunslinger and The Drawing of The Three friday afternoon. Let's hope that her interest was piqued enough to want to keep reading the series!

Thats great to see.. :thumbsup: My only wondering about it, is that I hope she doesn't think stylistically it will be anything like LOTR, because she will be sorely disappointed. I wouldn't say the Dark Tower saga is "heavily" influenced by LOTR. Its more heavily influenced by a combination of speghetti westerns and Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came than anything else.

fernandito
03-03-2008, 09:28 AM
She told me that she didn't have much time to read this weekend but that she did get a good 30 pages in. She also brought it with her today to read during one of her breaks. :)

Wuducynn
03-03-2008, 09:31 AM
SHWEET!

Letti
03-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Amazing Fever.

One of my friends has mentioned that she would like to read the series (she has been seeing the books in my hands for 10 years now) but somehow I have a feeling... she wouldn't finish it. If she borrows them I will lend them with pleasure but I have such a strong feeling that she won't finish the journey. She wouldn't finish the first book, either.
Have you ever felt something like this?

Erin
03-04-2008, 03:05 AM
Yes! My boyfriend read the first three books and then just....quit. I have no possible idea how you can just quit reading at the end of The Wastelands. :orely: Anyways, I keep asking him to read Wizard and Glass, but he keeps putting it off. I have a feeling he'll never finish reading the series, but he said if I get them in audiobook, he'll listen to them.

Jean
03-04-2008, 03:37 AM
Yes! My boyfriend read the first three books and then just....quit. I have no possible idea how you can just quit reading at the end of The Wastelands. :orely:

must be some specific type of people. A student of mine did exactly the same. It's a mystery.

Erin
03-04-2008, 03:43 AM
Yes it was so strange. Especially because he read the first three books back to back in the span of just a few days.

Jean
03-04-2008, 03:54 AM
same with mine

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
I converted my friend Elliot to Stephen King withThe STAND...

Wuducynn
03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Thats swell, but have you converted anyone to The Dark Tower series?

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
It's only a matter of time..

It is part of my plan...

Excellent....

*twiddles fingers and laughs maniacally....*

He says he would like to read more.. This 70-80 some odd year old man wants me to convert him more. He's practically begging for it...

Wuducynn
03-04-2008, 04:30 PM
This 70-80 some odd year old man wants me to convert him more. He's practically begging for it...

Well, don't do ANYTHING to convert him...if you know what I mean...

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I'd like to be a door-to-door salesperson for the dark tower series.

"Have you been saved....... from boredom?"

Wuducynn
03-04-2008, 05:04 PM

I would love to be paid to do that.

Samanthita
03-04-2008, 05:52 PM
My friend Andrew, he got sick of not knowing what I was talking about. He listened to them on audi tape.. now if only he would start doing tattoos, my problem would be solved.

My boyfriend is the same. He's sick of listening to me talk about them all the time, so he's going to read them. He tried to download the e-books but he didn't want to pay for them. :rolleyes:
Though, since he's reading the series, I apparently have to read a Warhammer book.. whatever. I need more to read, and I'm tired of not knowing what the hell he's always talking about.

blackrose22
03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
I've given up on trying to convert anyone. With three different friends who love to read I gave the first book to them at different times over the years and not one of them finished it. I told them if the found it tough going to finish it anyway and start the second one and then they would understand. But alas no they decide not to. Though one of my friends recently ask to read it again as he's a big Lost fan and heard that the writer/producer of Lost is suppose to be writing a script for a film adaptation.

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 08:44 PM

I would love to be paid to do that.

You and I should approach Stephen King on the opportunities of door to door sales coversion.. more dark tower junkies! We'll be the senior representatives!

Kevin
03-04-2008, 08:55 PM

WOW! I forgot about this completely! MY younger brother is now getting close to the age where he might be old enough to start TDT (he's 13) so I may have to add another brother to the list soon.

Letti, I'm making that my member title. :D

Ruthful
03-04-2008, 09:52 PM

I have the same problem. I have a friend who's loathe to read any Stephen King novel because his books are "too long," but when I described the length of TDT to her she almost had an embolism.

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Well just start them one by one then!

i figured if my friend would read a book that's 1000 some page long he might read the whole dark tower series :d

Letti
03-04-2008, 10:35 PM

WOW! I forgot about this completely! MY younger brother is now getting close to the age where he might be old enough to start TDT (he's 13) so I may have to add another brother to the list soon.

Letti, I'm making that my member title. :D

Perfect choice. I am happy to see it. *smiles*

I have the same problem. I have a friend who's loathe to read any Stephen King novel because his books are "too long," but when I described the length of TDT to her she almost had an embolism.

Maybe we shouldn't tell them that it's a series.
Maybe we should give them the first book and say: "Hey, it's such a damn good book. If you can read it you are a genious because it's not easy to read it. Prove yourself that you are a deep soul and fight with it because it such a fucking great book."
And when they finish it and give it back with confused expression on their faces we can tell them the secret...

Ehhh, this fight is hopeless to me.

Ruthful
03-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Maybe we should give them the first book and say: "Hey, it's such a damn good book. If you can read it you are a genious because it's not easy to read it. Prove yourself that you are a deep soul and fight with it because it such a fucking great book."
And when they finish it and give it back with confused expression on their faces we can tell them the secret...

:excited:

Letti
03-05-2008, 12:50 PM

:excited:

*laughs*

jayson
03-05-2008, 12:52 PM
I convinced a guy in another forum I visit [a guitar player's forum] to give the books a shot. He started last fall and is currently in the Callas. He's loving the series. I couldn't get any friends to get past DT1, but a total stranger I have all the way to DT5 and he will def finish. He's even started using some of the lingo ["on the path of the beam" "may it do ya fine" etc].

obscurejude
03-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Not for lack of trying. I tell everybody about it. I'm also involved in some projects to help make King academically viable. People need to know how good this stuff is.

Ruthful
03-06-2008, 04:15 AM
YESSSSSSSS!

I've finally convinced someone, almost singularly with my persuasive prowess, to start reading this series.

She loved Book II!

:onfire:

jayson
03-06-2008, 04:33 AM
Not for lack of trying. I tell everybody about it. I'm also involved in some projects to help make King academically viable. People need to know how good this stuff is.

i tried to work DT into my academic work as well, in addition to other things from popular culture which i felt expressed the same metaphors as the religious myths i was studying.

Brice
03-06-2008, 04:37 AM
I think I'll just start disowning any friend that won't read The Dark Tower. :onfire:

Míchéal
03-06-2008, 05:17 AM
i'm trying to get the girlfriend into DT but i kind've put her off it by constantly talking about it when i was reading them...ooops.

Kevin
03-06-2008, 06:21 AM

Letti swears? :O

Its not hopeless, takes a little luck and very good nagger.

Míchéal
03-06-2008, 06:22 AM
i been nagging the girlfriend for over e year...she's stubborn

Brice
03-06-2008, 07:03 AM

Letti swears? :O

Not often, but them Hungarians have curse words that make our language sound downright puritanical. :panic:

Wuducynn
03-06-2008, 07:49 AM
I think I'll just start disowning any friend that won't read The Dark Tower. :onfire:

Now thats a way to do it! That sure is a great way to find out your true friends. "Its either the Dark Tower series or the highway".

Girlystevedave
03-06-2008, 09:54 AM
So far, I have converted my mom and my boss. I'm still trying to convert my sister. She's had the first 4 books for months now.
I went to her house last night and saw The Gunslinger on her coffee table with a bookmark in the middle of it. I got so excited.
I said: "Oh! You finally started it?!"
She said: "No, sorry to get your hopes up."
:cry:

Wuducynn
03-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Time to disown her.

Girlystevedave
03-10-2008, 09:36 AM
My sister has finally started it. She called me earlier and is about to start The Wastelands. yay:clap:

Wuducynn
03-10-2008, 09:43 AM
My sister has finally started it. She called me earlier and is about to start The Wastelands. yay:clap:

Damn, how long did it take her to get up to The Wastelands? :harrier:

Girlystevedave
03-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I think she started the series on Friday or Saturday...yeah, she flew through the first two.

Wuducynn
03-10-2008, 09:47 AM
:harrier: Awesome. Glad shes that into it. So, she'll probably be done with the series by next week sometime at that rate. :thumbsup:

Girlystevedave
03-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Next...comes the comics.:cool:

Wuducynn
03-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Hell yeah. Shes so lucky to have become a Tower Junkie after the series is out. Jerk. :D Instead of having to wait all those years between books since Drawing came out, like I did.
She should join us on here when she finishes the series. :harrier:

Girlystevedave
03-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I said the same thing before about having to wait between the books. That would have driven me nuts. I wouldn't even start the series until I had at least the first three books at home.
She won't join the mb.....she makes fun of me for it.:nope:

Wuducynn
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Ohhh so shes a snob, I get it. :D Thats cool.

Girlystevedave
03-10-2008, 11:04 AM
She acts like she has a reputation to keep clean

Wuducynn
03-10-2008, 02:07 PM
She acts like she has a reputation to keep clean

And joining this message board community would somehow tarnish this angelic rep of hers?

Girlystevedave
03-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Simply put, I'm the nerdier of the two sisters.

Wuducynn
03-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Well, when she is done with the series, she might change her mind.. ;)

Ka-tet
03-11-2008, 04:53 AM
Ive got one on my list xD our very own mark8888

Brice
03-11-2008, 06:09 AM

The nerds were/are nowhere near as pretty or cool as you where I'm from. :wub:

Girlystevedave
03-11-2008, 11:32 AM

:huglove:
Thank you Brice

Wuducynn
03-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Pretty, loves winter, Tower Junkie..ummmm how COULD you get cooler?

obscurejude
03-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Dating the CK?

Girlystevedave
03-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Pretty, loves winter, Tower Junkie..ummmm how COULD you get cooler?

Don't go making me conceited:lol:

Brice
03-11-2008, 12:17 PM

:huglove:
Thank you Brice

Tis' just the truth. :huglove:

Unfound One
03-12-2008, 07:40 PM
i was converted by a friend, but i have to say that the responses people get are the same reaction i had initially as i had never read the books.
stephen king? isn't that stuff scary?
after going to barnes and noble and realizing that i had already finished 3/4ths of the first book, i figured i'd better buy the first four.
after finishing the series i immediately went out and bought the stand, salem's lot, misery, and bag of bones.
i'm a total stephen king convert. and a better person for it, imo.

ATG
03-13-2008, 05:57 AM
I got my wife to start it but she didn't get past twenty pages.

Letti
03-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Oh, I have just realised that I made one person read the series! Oh, I feel so sooo proud. I haven't met him for ages that's why he didn't come to my mind.
We were classmates and he wanted to borrow them - I guess he must have seen them in my hands all the time - and I gave my books to him with pleasure because I couldn't speak English at all at that time so I didn't have anyone to share my feelings with. The first four books had been published so he could read just the first four books. (So could I.)
A year ago we met again accidentaly when I went to see my doctor. He got some flu as well. I asked him if he knew that DT5 and 6 got published at last but he said he hadn't thought about DT for long. My heart broke a little bit...
I don't think he will ever finish it.

BUT
I can say
I made one person read the first four books.

Matt
03-13-2008, 11:41 AM
My daughter did the exact same but is thinking about picking them up again.

MonteGss
03-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I got my sister to read them all. She enjoyed them but she is way too (overly) obsessed with Harry Potter to really enjoy other series, imo. She liked them but they didn't capture her heart. :(

I've since divorced her as my sister. :)

Also, my wife has read The Gunslinger but she so far hasn't continued on.

Wuducynn
03-13-2008, 02:36 PM
I've since divorced her as my sister. :)

Also, my wife has read The Gunslinger but she so far hasn't continued on.

And she is soon to follow, I'm assuming?

MonteGss
03-13-2008, 02:39 PM
No, I think I'll keep her around. :D
She's pretty and for some reason likes me. :)

Girlystevedave
08-04-2008, 05:48 AM
My sister set down W & G a few months back and just couldn't get the urge to keep reading. I didn't want to harass her about it, so I just let it go. Every time I'd go to her house and see it sitting on her coffee table, I'd pick it up to see where she was. In my mind, I'd think: "If she'd just get to that damn kiss between Susan and Roland, she'd get hooked again. I know it!" :lol:
Well, finally she called the other day and said she had started reading and was obsessed. I got up yesterday morning and my husband said:
"Michelle called."
Me: "Okay."
Him: "She said she was almost done with the book. She is upset that 'her friends are about to die.'
Me: Where is the phone!? I better call her.

razz
08-04-2008, 05:50 AM
i just emt someone yesterday, refered her here, and she joined. i'm assuming she'll read the series someday too.

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-04-2008, 06:50 AM
i got my brother hooked, and he's in Iraq now, telling me the only thing keeping him sane is the music I send him, and The Dark Tower. I got my mom to read the Gunslinger, but she said she's afraid to dedicate that much of her life to a book, haha. I've also gotten a few friends to become obsessed, and more on the way.

Ves'Ka Gan
08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
My boyfriend is about to be converted whether he likes it or not. We will be playing the entire series on audio book on our cross country drive....muahahahahaha. :evil:

razz
08-05-2008, 02:14 PM
your evil. nice.

Brainslinger
08-07-2008, 05:37 AM
I bought The Gunslinger for a friend, as she seemed interested.

I think she made a start on it, but she didn't stick with it.

Mind you, she seems to be mainly into self-help books rather than fiction (although she likes horror and sci-fi films.) I'm the oposite, I seldom read books unless their fiction. (Ok, if I'm doing something technical I'll look up reference books, but 'self-help' books? Well I suppose I shouldn't judge them if I haven't read them, but the idea doesn't grab me...

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
but 'self-help' books? Well I suppose I shouldn't judge them if I haven't read them, but the idea doesn't grab me...

how can you "self-help" if you get to a place where you feel you should buy a "self-help" book? that what i think. you never "others-help" lol

kirin
08-11-2008, 03:20 AM
tried to convert my father he liked the first four books then said the others were garbage and refused to finish them,

my nephew likes them now i got him into stephen king in the first place but he is scared of wolves of the calla and cant finish reading it :P

Letti
08-11-2008, 12:49 PM
How old is your nephew?

kirin
08-14-2008, 04:41 AM
11 on september the 5th

LadyHitchhiker
08-14-2008, 07:06 AM
I convert as many as I can... I work at a boostore, so I have a better venue for pushing books on people....

Girlystevedave
08-14-2008, 07:09 AM
My sister came over yesterday to get Song of Susannah AND decided she wanted to re-read The Gunslinger AND took my hardcover edition of The Long Road Home
Yeah...I'd say she is offcially a junkie. :cool:

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-14-2008, 11:22 AM
my hardcover edition of The Long Road Home

how did you get a hardcover edition already? its not supposed to come out until my birthday, Oct 7th.?

Letti
08-14-2008, 11:11 PM
bring her here girly

Brice
08-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Yes, why isn't she a member, Amanda?

Letti
08-14-2008, 11:20 PM
We can bear another shockingly beautiful woman on the site, really. *smiles greedily*

Girlystevedave
08-15-2008, 09:09 AM
my hardcover edition of The Long Road Home

how did you get a hardcover edition already? its not supposed to come out until my birthday, Oct 7th.?

:doh: I meant Gunslinger Born.

stone, rose, unfound door
08-19-2008, 02:36 PM
It's a fantastic griping quest that involes things that creak pound crack race die live hot cold thirst starvation mountains and so on and so on and so on and so on

well that at least is what I tell people. But really, it makes me sad when they say "that sounds cool" and then never read it. My friend actaully owns the gunslinger and hasn't read it yet. It has now been well over two years now. :(

I've found that you can't force the love of the tower on anyone. they just have to discover it themselves.

Funnily, I also have a friend who's been planning on reading the series and bought the Gunslinger (over three years ago) and still hasn't started reading it... at all!
Only person I got hooked was my ex. That was an easy one as I was like "there's nothing that good in the world. Not even Hyde (and that means a lot because I still think Hyde will be my kids' father :P)"

dr shottie
07-09-2009, 05:14 PM
without being to pushy or preachy

ola
07-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't necessarily take this route, but I got my boyfriend to start reading them by enthusiastically relating entire plot sections (usually half-asleep around bedtime). I think it sounded weird/interesting enough that he was intrigued. :)

Plus, we were watching the Sergio Leone "Dollars" triliogy a while back, and he read in Wikipedia about references re: The Gunslinger. I think most people will be in after reading the first one!

People may appreciate the audiobooks too, especially if they drive a lot. They're all well done. The transition between Frank Muller and Guidall is the only rough part because you get so used to the voices.

Letti
07-09-2009, 08:58 PM
If we are talking about the DT series you cannot be too pushy.
The people around me got interested in the series because they saw how much I was crazy about it. I didn't need to say much.

idk, my bff jill?
07-09-2009, 09:06 PM
All I've ever had to do is hand my copy of The Gunslinger to whomever I want to read it and say, "Trust me."

This has been 100% effective.

dr shottie
07-10-2009, 01:32 AM
have to try handing my copy of gunslinger to my mates

candy
07-10-2009, 11:19 AM
yeah, know what you mean shottie. cant persuade any one i know to read these, even King fans are unsure of it. i have leant a copy out and it was never read, tried the trust me route - nothing

its one of the reasons i was so excited to find this site

dr shottie
07-10-2009, 11:49 AM
yeah well as long as i know how good it is it kinda dont matter lol

sarajean
07-10-2009, 12:32 PM
All I've ever had to do is hand my copy of The Gunslinger to whomever I want to read it and say, "Trust me."

This has been 100% effective.i'll just buy a copy for someone if i think they'll actually read it.

i did that for my friend martha, and then read the others to her during our commute to work. yes, we had a long drive. but then we'd get to work and call in late so i could keep reading to her.

Lily-sai
07-10-2009, 12:46 PM
I wish I knew how. I've failed so far - my brother fell asleep The Gunslinger in his hand and complained afterwards it was too complicated. Which is a fail, as we usually read the same books. sigh.

So far I know only one in my circle of friends who reads DT books, and he was the one who got me here. Maybe I've chosen wrong friends? :innocent:

Letti
07-10-2009, 12:51 PM
have to try handing my copy of gunslinger to my mates

Very brave thing to do.
Whenever I lend a book to one of my friends in my head I say goodbye to it forever. (yeah, I am a bit insane)

Lily-sai
07-10-2009, 01:05 PM
No, not insane at all, Letti. I think some of my friends have had my books for a couple of years now. :sigh:

Letti
07-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Cry your pardon dr shottie, but I had to merge this thread with an old one which is about a very similar topic.

Chap
07-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Cry your pardon dr shottie, but I had to merge this thread with an old one which is about a very similar topic.

hmmm, I'm pretty sure I replied to this thread just before (as?) you moved it, but the reply seem to have gone Todash :panic:

Letti
07-10-2009, 01:38 PM

hmmm, I'm pretty sure I replied to this thread just before (as?) you moved it, but the reply seem to have gone Todash :panic:

Are you sure? I am really sorry. I have no idea how it could have happened. I didn't delete an posts.

Chap
07-10-2009, 02:00 PM
yep, completely sure, but it doesn't matter. I didn't contribute too much anyway :p

No harm done :couple:

candy
07-11-2009, 05:32 AM
yep, completely sure, but it doesn't matter. I didn't contribute too much anyway :p

No harm done :couple:

you always contribute chap:couple:
tell me what you wanted to say
**shuffles bum to make self comfortable**

Chap
07-11-2009, 03:18 PM
:couple:

well the title of the thread I was replying to was "how to get friends to read the dark tower", or something like that.
and my reply was, quoting from memory:

If we could make a thread titled "how to make friends" first, then maybe I could contribute to this one later :lol:

On a more serious note: I've gotten two people to read the series. But everyone else have been a little indifferent, specially since not all of it is translated to Norwegian yet. and the translations take forever. Plus we have to wait 7-8 months after release to get the paperback version (hardcover in Norway = ridiculously expensive)

dr shottie
07-12-2009, 03:39 PM
its ok about joining threads together its all for the greater good anyway:dance:
ive just lent my brother the gunslinger. ive said to him put that shit down that your reading at the moment and start with the dark tower, itll take time and patience but in the end it will be worth the read.

Spawn
07-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes I have! I converted my best friend not so long ago. We both like to read, and I always keep on talking about TDT this and TDT that...so she began to interest herself and decided to check it out to see what all the fuzz was about.

However, she could not find The Gunslinger (in english) in any store, so I sacrificed myself :P and sent her my copy. This was done by mail because now we live in different countries.

dr shottie
07-18-2009, 03:22 AM
ive handed my copy of the gunslinger to my younger brother and said to him you have to read this it will change you forever:)

Letti
07-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Yes I have! I converted my best friend not so long ago. We both like to read, and I always keep on talking about TDT this and TDT that...so she began to interest herself and decided to check it out to see what all the fuzz was about.

However, she could not find The Gunslinger (in english) in any store, so I sacrificed myself :P and sent her my copy. This was done by mail because now we live in different countries.

Weren't you a bit worried that it wouldn't arrive?

Spawn
07-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah, but I had to take that chance:cool:

Letti
07-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Yeah, but I had to take that chance:cool:

I got to like you very quickly. :couple:

uncle_whoopass
07-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I've tried to convert so many people! I've even brought the first 4 in a box-set for 2 friends and one of them still hasn't started reading them, where as the other did last week and is on the 90th page of 'The Gunslinger' but he 'thinks It's rubbish'. I've told him to stick with it but not sure If he will! My Mother's the only person I know who's read the hole series.

Brice
07-24-2009, 03:50 AM
I have a stockpile of Plume trades of The Gunslinger to infect people's minds with. :D Whenever I see these at used bookstores or yard sales I buy them no matter how many I have. They are to gift.

dr shottie
07-25-2009, 07:41 AM
ive snatched the gunslinger off my lil brother because he wasent reading it and lent it to lady at work who loves books

candy
07-25-2009, 09:49 AM
I've tried to convert so many people! I've even brought the first 4 in a box-set for 2 friends and one of them still hasn't started reading them, where as the other did last week and is on the 90th page of 'The Gunslinger' but he 'thinks It's rubbish'. I've told him to stick with it but not sure If he will! My Mother's the only person I know who's read the hole series.

he got further than my 2 friends and dad, who all happily took the book off me but none of them (so I believe) even started it,

One friend, even asked me what the DarK Tower was last week, after borrowing the book:pullhair:

ola
07-25-2009, 12:03 PM
I have a stockpile of Plume trades of The Gunslinger to infect people's minds with. :D Whenever I see these at used bookstores or yard sales I buy them no matter how many I have. They are to gift.

This is great. All I have extra lying around is a mass market copy of Wizard and Glass...which might not be a great starter. (now I'm curious though, what someone would think after attempting to read DT4 first!)

Letti
07-25-2009, 08:33 PM

How many do you have exactly? How many have you given away?

Lily-sai
07-26-2009, 03:03 PM
I now love Brice even more. <3

mystima
07-26-2009, 03:27 PM
I got my hubby to read them and we are doing a re-read this summer. I am also trying to get some of my fellow gamers to get into it as well by creating a story arc on City of Villains where the contact is actually Roland. (They have a new system in the game where you can create your own missions).:thumbsup:

AlishaRiley
07-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I finally got my best friend to embark upon the DT journey. :D
She's currently on The Drawing of the Three, and she's absolutely loving it. Of course.

candy
07-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Cool well done Alisha

:rock:

i'm going on a road trip with mr c, my dad and step mum. does anyone know where i can get CHEAP audio books of the dark tower from? just been on AMAZON and for W&G they wanted £45!!!:angry: i could get sai king himself sat in the car for that much

Letti
07-27-2009, 08:47 PM
I cannot wait to give the Gunslinger to my little brother. If he doesn't want to read it I will read it out for him (if he lets me). I know we have talked about it before but I don't think we have that thread anymore so when can children start to read this series? What do you think?

ola
07-27-2009, 11:19 PM
candy: Try Audible.com, a lot of the time getting digital download versions can be cheaper!

Wizard and Glass is $40.97 USD as a one-time purchase...but if you listen to a lot of audiobooks, you can subscribe to Audible and get them way cheaper with credits instead (you get a certain number per month).

Disincarnate
07-28-2009, 12:57 AM
I just got my boyfriend to start reading it. Mostly by never shutting up about it. He totally loves it, though. And he's even joined the board. I'm thinking I'll re-read each book after he finishes them.

My little brother is next in line for corruption.

Rjeso
07-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Well, I might have gotten my mom. She asked if there were any audio books I was interested in, and I asked for the DT series. She said she may give them a listen too, since she knows how much I love the series. We'll see. Fingers crossed, haha.

ola
07-28-2009, 01:36 AM
I just got my boyfriend to start reading it. Mostly by never shutting up about it..

Yes, this was me too. Not shutting up is a powerful force indeed.

Brice
07-28-2009, 02:19 AM
So far I've given none away, but that is what they are for. I just recently started gathering them. :) At the moment I have I think five Plume editions of the original to gift. They just need homes. For me I have one Plume, one hardcover grant 3rd edition, a Viking revised, a UK Sphere original, UK sphere revised, German first edition hardcover, a couple of the F&SF mags the individual sections of The Gunslinger originally appeared in, and I think a few mass market paperbacks that I suppose could be gifted too if I find enough of the right people. I think that's all the Gunslingers I currently have. I must get more. :dance:

ola
07-28-2009, 12:32 PM
I must get more.

A local bookstore here has quite a few first or limited editions of the DT books for sale, and one of them is the limited reissue of The Gunslinger that looks pretty cool. I think it's this one:

http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/images/book_covers/the_gunslinger/limited_edition.jpg

I could only get a peek in the display case!

Disincarnate
07-28-2009, 08:59 PM
I should start scouring used book stores in my area for these old editions you all keep finding. Then I can start giving my copies away too. I like this plan :thumbsup:

Brice
07-29-2009, 03:49 AM
I must get more.

A local bookstore here has quite a few first or limited editions of the DT books for sale, and one of them is the limited reissue of The Gunslinger that looks pretty cool. I think it's this one:

http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/images/book_covers/the_gunslinger/limited_edition.jpg

I could only get a peek in the display case!

I have one of them. That's the 3rd gunslinger that came in the slipcase with a second DotT, and a first Wastelands.

Letti
07-31-2009, 10:06 PM
If I ever get to the USA I will come back with a big bag of Gunslingers. :)

Brice
07-31-2009, 10:15 PM
:D

Black3144
07-31-2009, 11:20 PM
Got my wife started and a few people at work, they all love it.

Ka-Shume
08-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Me and my friends were at the mall, I had just recently met my one friend's brother. We got seperated and he mentioned to me that he planned on buying a book, so I took him to Border's and showed him The Gunslinger. He bought it.

Now hes on Wolves of the Calla.

Brice
08-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Awesome! :clap:

Russ
09-02-2009, 03:40 PM
My friend Catie and me used to always talk about shit like parral universes and shit, and just recently she saw The Stand on TV. She wants to borrow the Gunslinger soon.

One dude I worked with at my old job NEVER used to read. Read The Gunslinger, then ended up reading Salems' Lot, The Stand, Isonima and Hearts in Alantis and then the rest of the DT series.

I'm trying to get my ex to read it. She's a big fan of Salems' Lot and I keep asking her if she wonders what happen to Callahan? She says yup, but won't read the DT.

My dad's been reading them from day one, and got me into it.

megaknight
09-03-2009, 11:20 PM
ive converted my brother, mother, cousin and grandpa just by telling them that it is a good book. Oh and bte, ka shume, are you a fan of coheed & cambria by chance? i see the keywork in your avatar

cody44
12-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Gave my girlfriend the gunslinger and told her she might enjoy it. She is about to start The Wastelands (She started two weeks ago), so I think it was a complete success. :clap:

Earlier in the year I gave my best friend a copy of the Stand, and he has been a Tower and Stephen King Junkie because of it. He's read quite a few of King's work already. Luckily most of my friends were already King fans, so I didn't have to do any work at all.

JameseyLefebure
12-15-2009, 01:15 AM
I got my hubby to read them and we are doing a re-read this summer. I am also trying to get some of my fellow gamers to get into it as well by creating a story arc on City of Villains where the contact is actually Roland. (They have a new system in the game where you can create your own missions).:thumbsup:

WOW!!! I am so jealous!! If your on Villians/Heroe's my hubby would be made up to join ya sometime for a DT game ;). His handle is terrytastic :) I know he's got a couple of Lvl 50's and a slew of other characters on a few different servers :)

I have managed to convert a good few people into the Dark Tower obsession I share (mainly so I have people to talk to about it!!) I got my husband hooked on them when we first started dating years ago - it was that bad an obsession we had to buy two copies of book 7 so we could read them at the same time and neither of us had to wait for the other to finish. I've also just got my son reading the Gunslinger to try and broaden his horizon's and I've just recently gotten someone I work with into the Dark Tower series - all he does now is come into work and say to me "OMG I'm up to...." I like passing an obsession onto other's - i'm just a giver like that :P

Jamesey
xxxx

Brice
12-15-2009, 04:25 AM
Junkies like to share. :dance:

ManOfWesternesse
12-15-2009, 06:47 AM
I cannot wait to give the Gunslinger to my little brother. If he doesn't want to read it I will read it out for him (if he lets me). I know we have talked about it before but I don't think we have that thread anymore so when can children start to read this series? What do you think?

What age is he now Letti?

My son Mark is going to start it soon. He's 12 now.
He read & loved:-
Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings"
Robert Jordans "Wheel of Time" series - all 12 books a couple of times!
RE Feist's "Magician" etc... series
& is currently almost finished the 8 books of Stephen Donanlson's "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant"

.... so he should be well ready (& able) for the DT!

Brice
12-15-2009, 08:26 AM
I say vote it to him now, Letti. :dance:

JameseyLefebure
12-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Junkies like to share. :dance:

:grouphug: very true Brice - very true!! :)

Jamesey

Brice
12-15-2009, 05:35 PM
*whispers*
You lookin'? :unsure:

Whiskeybent
12-15-2009, 06:21 PM
I got my gf to read Gunslinger and Drawing, but she lost interest. To bring her back, I started reading Wastelands to her every night the past couple of weeks and now she cant wait for bedtime so I can read her more. It's our nightly thing now:cowboy:

ola
12-15-2009, 08:58 PM
I am giving a non-revised Gunslinger to my dad for Christmas, apparently after I blabbered about the series enough he went and checked out the Revised version from the library...so I may have to slip it to him early! I'm so not letting him start with the new one. :nope:

Brice
12-16-2009, 03:20 AM
:thumbsup: I knew I liked you.

I kidnap people, lock them in the basement, chain them to the water heater and torture them until they become receptive to reading the story. :evil:

pinkymcfatfat
12-16-2009, 07:16 AM
I've gotten a lot of people to read the series...my most memorable would be a friend of my husband who thought nothing and no one could top the Jedi Knight's in 'Star Wars'.

JameseyLefebure
12-16-2009, 07:20 AM

I kidnap people, lock them in the basement, chain them to the water heater and torture them until they become receptive to reading the story. :evil:

Well Brice - sounds like you n me have an awful lot in common!!! :P

Jamesey
x

Brice
12-16-2009, 08:12 AM

Well Brice - sounds like you n me have an awful lot in common!!! :P

Jamesey
x

:thumbsup:

Jean
12-16-2009, 12:59 PM
::begins to realize::

now I see where all those people go whom I fail to verbally incline towards reading TDT... I wondered why they were no longer around...

JameseyLefebure
12-17-2009, 03:33 AM
::begins to realize::

now I see where all those people go whom I fail to verbally incline towards reading TDT... I wondered why they were no longer around...

shhhhhhhhhh ;)

Brice
12-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Oh, the ones who STILL aren't convinced after my coercion still stay around.

...beneath my back yard. :evil:

Letti
12-18-2009, 01:24 PM
I've gotten a lot of people to read the series...my most memorable would be a friend of my husband who thought nothing and no one could top the Jedi Knight's in 'Star Wars'.

I must say that's impressive.

Letti
12-18-2009, 01:29 PM

But I am a little bit afraid. My mom might tear my head off. She doesn't have a nice opinion about SK.
In her head: SK = horror = :panic:

& is currently almost finished the 8 books of Stephen Donanlson's "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant"

He is 11. And he doesn't read much. I would be so happy if I could open his eyes and show him the beautiful world of books.

Brice
12-18-2009, 03:19 PM

But I am a little bit afraid. My mom might tear my head off. She doesn't have a nice opinion about SK.

He is 11. And he doesn't read much. I would be so happy if I could open his eyes and show him the beautiful world of books.

Oh, well since it is your mom...

*kidnaps Letti's mom and gently ties her up to read to her* :innocence:

Children should be read to even before they are born. :)

Letti
12-18-2009, 03:25 PM

Oh, well since it is your mom...

*kidnaps Letti's mom and gently ties her up to read to her* :innocence:

Children should be read to even before they are born. :)

In fact I think she would enjoy it. :D

How nice. I couldn't agree more.

Brice
12-18-2009, 05:18 PM

*ties Letti up instead* ;)

Mark
12-19-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm trying to get my brother, who was 11 today, into reading it, but it bores him. It's odd, he is reading The Fellowship of the Ring, and I found that boring, and I love DT...

Got two friends into it as well, they both realyl enjoy the series, one was already a SK fan, the other didn't read so much.

stone, rose, unfound door
12-19-2009, 12:05 PM
I got my gf to read Gunslinger and Drawing, but she lost interest. To bring her back, I started reading Wastelands to her every night the past couple of weeks and now she cant wait for bedtime so I can read her more. It's our nightly thing now:cowboy:

That's a cute way to convert someone :)

NoLabelBG
12-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Oh, I got at least 6 people to read it. They were all amazed by the DT. One of them didn't read anything by King before, which was a mistake, but she saw that I'm crazy about it, and she started reading it! The same thing happened with my mother! I was reading Drawing of the Three and I told her that the book is extremely good, and she started to read The Gunslinger and very soon she was on the Song of Susannah, while I was still reading Wizard and Glass!
For most of the people that I convinced to read the DT, it became the best book ever!

JameseyLefebure
12-20-2009, 11:48 AM
I've now managed to get my son to read the gunslinger. Admittedly it was part of a puishment for doing badly in school so had his TV taken off him and was given a book to read instead - but he's hooked now :) and I've also managed to get the two lads I work with hooked on S.K (one on the dark tower and one on IT) ;) and ofcourse there's terry who wasn't a S.K fan before we started dating - he refused to read them but he loved dragons so I took him that in the 3rd Dark Tower book they fight a dragon, he read the first two and by the time he had finished the 7th book he'd forgotten completely that I said there were dragons :) sneaky sneaky!! ;)

Jamesey
xxx

Whiskeybent
12-20-2009, 08:52 PM

Yes, dudes take note; Read Tower to your ladies. Might help them relationships:)

JameseyLefebure
12-23-2009, 12:42 PM

Yes, dudes take note; Read Tower to your ladies. Might help them relationships:)

it's like the literary version of Barry White ;)

jamesey
xxx

Letti
12-23-2009, 01:09 PM
I've now managed to get my son to read the gunslinger. Admittedly it was part of a puishment for doing badly in school so had his TV taken off him and was given a book to read instead - but he's hooked now :)
Jamesey
xxx

Best. Punishment. Ever.

kaleidyscope
12-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Cleared my wifes Iphone of music, cleared my Ipod of music and loaded them both with The Gunslinger audiobook.

Conversion rate = 100% :ninja: