PDA

View Full Version : Step Over to the Dark Side...Have You Converted Anyone? How did you do it?

Pages : 1 [2]

Brice
12-23-2009, 11:12 PM
:lol:

JameseyLefebure
12-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Cleared my wifes Iphone of music, cleared my Ipod of music and loaded them both with The Gunslinger audiobook.

Conversion rate = 100% :ninja:

that is genius!!! :)

Jamesey
xxxx

Letti
12-24-2009, 01:40 AM
Cleared my wifes Iphone of music, cleared my Ipod of music and loaded them both with The Gunslinger audiobook.

Conversion rate = 100% :ninja:

Let us know what she thinks about it. :D

DoctorDodge
12-24-2009, 03:02 AM
I got my dad hooked by accident a few years ago. I say by accident because what happened was I had actually let my mum borrow The Gunslinger when she and dad went on holiday. I was surprised when he came back and said he enjoyed it - usually my dad's not very fond of scifi or fantasy, and he's especially not fond of horror. He finished the series this year though, and is now a little bit interested in reading more Stephen King, so i'm pretty pleased with that!

Now, if I could just get back to my original aim and get my mum to read The Gunslinger...

ola
12-31-2009, 08:37 PM
I just gave my dad the SC Gunslinger a few days before Christmas, and he's already finished Drawing of the Three...yay!

Ruthful
01-01-2010, 03:53 AM
Why, you might ask? Simple, I convinced someone who had read the first three volumes of The Dark Tower, but had lapsed, to complete the series by reading the final three books...ON NEW YEAR'S! While slightly intoxicated.

:harrier:

Brice
01-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Well, I must concede that's pretty damn awesome, but come on ...when you say "all of you combined" this includes me; and it is an incontrovertible fact that nothing or noone is half as awesome as me. :cyclops:

Seriously, that's pretty great, man. :thumbsup:

Brice
01-01-2010, 06:57 AM
I gave my roommate's kid some SK books for christmas. There was a catch though-he must read The Gunslinger (original) first.

Ruthful
01-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Touche.

Yup, this would be the fourth or fifth person I've either convinced to start reading it, or to continue reading it-if he takes me up on my advice. I made a pretty good sales pitch, IMHO.

JameseyLefebure
01-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Well, I must concede that's pretty damn awesome, but come on ...when you say "all of you combined" this includes me; and it is an incontrovertible fact that nothing or noone is half as awesome as me. :cyclops:

Seriously, that's pretty great, man. :thumbsup:

I concur!!

Sam
01-01-2010, 01:52 PM

Brice, dude, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Letti is more awesome than you. And when she posts in the melons thread, she's four times more awesome!!:drool:

Oh, and I'm half as awesome as you so your wrong on that one too.:dance:

Ruthful
01-01-2010, 02:01 PM
As awesome as Brice is, don't give him any ideas. I really don't want to see him posting stuff in the melons thread.

:panic:

Brice
01-01-2010, 05:36 PM
:lol: You ain't gotta' worry about that.

All joking aside I'd say most of y'all on this site are at least twice as awesome as I am.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-01-2010, 05:40 PM
I believe that I am ten to the zero power as awesome as Brice.

Brice
01-01-2010, 05:56 PM
and that alone is enough to make you infinitely more awesome. Any awesomeness I do have is merely residual awesomeness that rubbed off from hanging out with you good people here. :)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-01-2010, 06:07 PM
That's awesome.

Ves'Ka Gan
01-01-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm in awe of this thread.

Jean
01-02-2010, 12:27 AM
I am afraid this thread is going to be merged with that thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=690) very soon

Letti
01-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Everyone is sooo modest in this thread. I like it. :)

Brice
01-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Letti is awesomeness personified.

alinda
01-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Y'all suck:wtf:

Ruthful
01-02-2010, 08:17 PM
"Convert" vs. revert, Jean. Two completely different and distinct things.

Woofer
01-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Everyone is sooo modest in this thread. I like it. :)

That's part of what makes everyone so bloody awesome. Yep.

Ruthful
01-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Someone from that same party just friended me on Facebook, for what it's worth.

chtorrwar19
08-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Fully converted my girlfriend, shes just starting the seventh book, poor thing, doesnt know what she's in for....also converted my best friend just recently, he zoomed through the first three and is loving it...but he's now 100 or so pages into W&G and keeps asking when it gets back to eddie and co...poor guy doesn't know what he's in for either

Letti
08-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Okay, I need your help right away. I know this thread will need to get merged but it's emergency.
I have this sweet student of mine who doesn't read much. But she sees on FB and everywhere how crazy I am about this series. AND yesterday she wrote me that I should lend her this Dark Tower book. I felt like this: http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/smiley/happiness/xd.gif
But... I am a bit worried. I mean I am quite sure if I give her the first book, the Gunslinger she won't be able to finish it. So I am wondering maybe she should start with the second book immediately. But it doesn't sound that good, either.
What do you think? Shall I give her the first or the second book?
Don't forget that she isn't a bookbug like most of us.

Jean
08-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Lend her The Gunslinger first, and explain, as thoroughly as you can, that the other books are very different and that it is crucial that she make it through the first book in order to enjoy the rest. That's how it worked for some of my students.

agrabin
08-31-2010, 11:48 PM
My view, for what it's worth, give her The Gunslinger to read first...it's shorter than the others...it's easy to read...and I believe even though she's not really a 'reader', that she'll want to read on.

turtlex
09-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Lend her The Gunslinger first, and explain, as thoroughly as you can, that the other books are very different and that it is crucial that she make it through the first book in order to enjoy the rest. That's how it worked for some of my students.

This is excellent advice. I'd start with the Gunslinger first, as well.

Letti
09-01-2010, 05:08 AM
I'm gonna listen to you. :) I have just talked to her and she told me not to forget about the book. I am so so so excited.

Brice
09-01-2010, 05:57 AM
I concur with the others. :D

Letti
09-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Yeah, I agree with you. Let's hope she makes it. :)

Brice
09-01-2010, 06:00 AM
Lock her in a room and don't let her escape till she reads them. :lol:

Letti
09-01-2010, 06:05 AM

Hm, that's not good. She should read them because she herself likes/falls in love with them.

Brice
09-01-2010, 06:56 AM

Hm, that's not good. She should read them because she herself likes/falls in love with them.

Okay, lock her in a room with nothing except for DT books then IF she discovers them AND falls in love with them she can go free. If not she can stay there with a bunch of books she doesn't wish to read. The choice is entirely hers. I have faith she'll make the right choice. :grouphug:

alinda
09-01-2010, 06:59 AM
:wtf: Lend her the book, she will do the right think, I am confident because she is a friend & student of yours hence a smart young lady .:P

candy
09-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Okay, I need your help right away. I know this thread will need to get merged but it's emergency.
I have this sweet student of mine who doesn't read much. But she sees on FB and everywhere how crazy I am about this series. AND yesterday she wrote me that I should lend her this Dark Tower book. I felt like this: http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/smiley/happiness/xd.gif
But... I am a bit worried. I mean I am quite sure if I give her the first book, the Gunslinger she won't be able to finish it. So I am wondering maybe she should start with the second book immediately. But it doesn't sound that good, either.

lend her the revised version. i have just got big sis, dad and hubbie all reading the series.

Dad and big sis tried to read the original a few years ago and gave up, i have been harrassing them since and was going to get them to start on DoTT but hubbie read the gunslinger revised and loved it. So i persuaded them to read it from the start. And they have loved it

Sorry to waffle on there Letti, just saying Gunslinger first:couple:

Letti
09-01-2010, 11:29 AM

lend her the revised version. i have just got big sis, dad and hubbie all reading the series.

Dad and big sis tried to read the original a few years ago and gave up, i have been harrassing them since and was going to get them to start on DoTT but hubbie read the gunslinger revised and loved it. So i persuaded them to read it from the start. And they have loved it

Sorry to waffle on there Letti, just saying Gunslinger first:couple:

Revised is not an option in this case because she would like to read it in Hungarian and the revised version isn't publish in Hungarian at all. Just the original. But even that one is totally unavailable in shops these days.
Still thank you for your care and for your help. :rose:

Jean
09-01-2010, 11:03 PM
why in Hungarian?

Letti
09-02-2010, 12:55 PM
why in Hungarian?

She has been learning English for some months. She is on elementary level. IMHO it would be damn hard for her to read it in English.

Girlystevedave
09-02-2010, 05:14 PM
I finally got another one of my friends to start reading The Dark Tower. It took her a while to get through The Gunslinger and she started Drawing of the Three today. She was on about pg 50 when I asked her if she was hooked yet. (Keep in mind, Roland has just stepped into Eddie's body/mind). Her exact words were: "It's okay, I guess."
I cannot express my dissapointment at this time. I guess I should have known better considering Twilight is her favorite book series.
<_< :arg:

I've gotten about 5 people into this series and she is the first who was not absolutely hooked immediately after starting DotT.

Jean
09-03-2010, 03:28 AM
Yes, true. Maybe later.

Jean
09-03-2010, 03:36 AM
okay?! It's okay?!!! It's the best fucking scene in world's fucking literature.

If I were Brice the Fierce, I would tell you what exactly you should do with the girl...

alinda
09-03-2010, 06:29 AM
:wtf: seriously that would floor me completely! "in fact I could use a hand getting up just from reading that.I dont know what I would say, but I'm fairly certain it may well be considered rude, and or insensitive...maybe even offensive. Take heart tho, maybe your friend is a little slow:P (see? I'm sorry I dont mean to be so mean)

Letti
09-03-2010, 06:40 AM
I finally got another one of my friends to start reading The Dark Tower. It took her a while to get through The Gunslinger and she started Drawing of the Three today. She was on about pg 50 when I asked her if she was hooked yet. (Keep in mind, Roland has just stepped into Eddie's body/mind). Her exact words were: "It's okay, I guess."
I cannot express my dissapointment at this time. I guess I should have known better considering Twilight is her favorite book series.
<_< :arg:

I've gotten about 5 people into this series and she is the first who was not absolutely hooked immediately after starting DotT.

And how did you react to that? :)

Girlystevedave
09-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Given that the conversation was via text message, I chose to not respond. I think I was too floored by the comment to even react properly. :lol:
Believe me, next time I see her in person, I will drill her about what exactly is wrong with her that she could think it was okay, yet believe that Twilight is an enjoyable series. :D
Hell, I may even make a chart with comparisons between TDT's awesomeness and Twilight's lameness.
I'm sure that would change her point of view. :evil:
If it doesn't, I disown her as a friend...and a human being.

And Alinda: :lol: I would think she was "slow" as well except she has read and loved a lot of other SK books. So, naturally, how could one NOT like TDT? :panic:

Jean
09-03-2010, 09:18 PM
loved a lot of King books, but not DT2? That's weird.

Girlystevedave
09-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I know. It's like Twilight Zone weird. :lol:

Brice
09-04-2010, 04:41 AM
She probably just didn't get it because the heroes of the story don't fuckin' sparkle.

Jean, she's not even fit for my wrath or vengeance. I am appalled and disgusted. Amanda abandon this fake friend posthaste. She can only bring you down.

...bonus points if you tell her why you''re ditching her.

Brice
09-04-2010, 04:43 AM
Letti- If you can help her to love the story in Hungarian then you can help her with her english with the english versions. :dance;

Letti
09-06-2010, 08:11 AM
She probably just didn't get it because the heroes of the story don't fuckin' sparkle.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Brice
09-07-2010, 07:34 AM
;)

Willowtree
10-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Totally got my son into SK...Thankfully,he likes reading and it is a change from all of the video games!and a couple of neighbors...a change from all of the vampire books and Japanese anime!:yawn: ;)

Doe
10-28-2010, 02:17 AM
My mother, She was rambling on about getting some books for the ipad she just bought, so, I told her to get The Gunslinger, she did and is loving it.

Girlystevedave
10-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Awesome! It feels good to pass the story onto someone else. :)

Letti
10-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Well, as you may remember I gave the Gunslinger because she had asked for it to a student of mine. She got stuck somewhere in the middle. She is not over Tull yet. I am just about to lose hope. :sad:

Girlystevedave
10-29-2010, 11:45 AM
That sucks. I hate when you get so anxious and excited to share it with someone who doesn't get "into" it.

(Just like my previous posts about my friend who thought it was "okay". <_< I recently asked her if she had been reading it, and she hasn't. What a loser. haha)

haunted.lunchbox
10-29-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't have any friends in Waco that are into the same stuff I am. I'm not from here, and have only been here two years. I got so desperate to talk to someone in person about this that I have started reading the DT books out loud to my husband. My husband does no enjoy reading, but he is getting into the story. At times he will take a turn at reading, but its pretty much fallen on my shoulders... he giggles at the sex scenes.

Girlystevedave
10-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah, my husband doesn't read either. But, if I tried to read to him, he'd probably just ignore me...or leave the room. :lol:
How far into the reading are you?

haunted.lunchbox
10-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, my husband doesn't read either. But, if I tried to read to him, he'd probably just ignore me...or leave the room. :lol:
How far into the reading are you?

Well, the first night I got to the point where he was about to tell Brown about what happened in Tull, my husband felt there was too much and he may of missed something so I had to reread most of it. He is having trouble following if I read too much in one night, so this could take a great number of years to accomplish. I have a feeling that he is hanging in there though because he knows how much it means to me.

Girlystevedave
10-29-2010, 12:11 PM
That's awesome. At least he's allowing you to read it to him. :)
When I first read the series, no one I knew had read it so it drove me crazy not being able to talk about it. My husband would, at least, listen to me as I talked about what I had read that night. He knew I was addicted and wanted to share it with someone. :lol:

haunted.lunchbox
10-29-2010, 12:15 PM
That's awesome. At least he's allowing you to read it to him. :)
When I first read the series, no one I knew had read it so it drove me crazy not being able to talk about it. My husband would, at least, listen to me as I talked about what I had read that night. He knew I was addicted and wanted to share it with someone. :lol:

I bet he was like, WTF kind of crazy book is she reading, the author must have written it on LSD :doh: It's good that he let you talk to him about it though, it's so weird that I can't imagine someone describing it to me having never read it.

Girlystevedave
10-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Haha. Well, he was pretty used to me talking about SK books before I read TDT, so he wasn't that shocked, I guess. :lol:

RainInSpain
10-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Oh I, too, have totally been rambling on and on to DH about TDT for as long as we've been married! And he never complained, because I got to know TDT before I met him, so it was kind of my 'thing'.
But lo and behold, I've finally converted him - he's just finished the 7th book. Liked it, too. Now I finally have someone to have intelligent conversation with :lol:

Erin
10-30-2010, 01:26 PM
I totally want one of these for my car. I wonder if I could convert anyone with it. :orely:

http://www.zazzle.com/my_boss_is_a_gunslinger_from_gilead_bumper_sticker-128789949290099498

Doe
10-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Want :D

RainInSpain
11-01-2010, 04:58 AM
:excited: Want!

turtlex
11-01-2010, 05:51 AM
I totally want one of these for my car. I wonder if I could convert anyone with it. :orely:

http://www.zazzle.com/my_boss_is_a_gunslinger_from_gilead_bumper_sticker-128789949290099498

That's great ... and I love the name of the user who created it : Flaggboy

Serpent Raptor
01-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Well, I saw the last Dark Tower book in the library a couple of years ago, and saw it was by Stephen King--I was like "This doesn’t look like horror...I didn't realise Stephen King wrote fantasy epics..." It looked a bit too long for me to get into, but I thought I'd have a go at reading it. Then I saw that it was the final book out of seven of them. That put me off, lol.

Then last year I saw the hardback edition of Wolves of the Calla in a book sale, and decided to buy it. Then I looked on the net to find out a bit about what the hell the books were about--and read a bit about Blaine the mono, and saw the charlie choo choo pic on google. I was like “an insane talking train? Man that sounds cool!” So then I went hunting for the other books, but as is the case with libraries, they didn’t have the whole series. Neither did any of the bookstores.

I was getting kind of desperate, and looked on Ebay, where I found the box set of the first 4 books—the revised editions. So I bought it. Unfortunately I had a couple of other books (ALIEN expanded universe novels) to finish, so I read them first.

Funnily enough, the week after I bought the box set, I went back to my mates house (I’d used his computer to buy the books) and found out he had the exact same set, and had owned them for ages!!! But it was still sealed and he hadn’t read any of them. He still hasn’t either.

A few weeks later I found out one of my mates had the Gunslinger, but hadn’t read it. I told him he should, so he read some of it, but didn’t even get to the Tull massacre, cos he couldn’t get into it.

In July last year I lent the Gunslinger to someone else I know, and he STILL has it, and hasn’t read it, though he keeps telling me he means to.
I’ve tried like heck to get my brothers to read the books, but they have refused.

Basically, I have failed to convert anyone. A few friends have said the series sounds very interesting, when I tell them about it, but they don’t bother trying to read the books.

Its sooo annoying not knowing anyone with the same obsession with the Dark Tower series as me!
That’s why I’m HERE, at Palavar! Lol.

Rice Dancer
01-15-2011, 09:10 PM
I have two friends who have asked to borrow my books which is cool.

Rice Dancer
01-15-2011, 09:12 PM
My recommendation is always, "Get through the first book and then you'll be fine."

Yaksha
01-16-2011, 05:07 AM
I so converted my brother just by throwing it at him when he wanted a book to read. He read the first sentence looked up and said "Awesome" he was sold just like that.

RainInSpain
01-16-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm in the process of converting a co-worker. He has just finished The Gunslinger, and told me it was OK, although a bit unusual (he is used to 'normal' fantasy and sci-fi.)
But since he asked about the next book, I think it's a good sign :)

kluker
01-16-2011, 07:52 AM
I have a friend who doesn't really like stephen king but I told her if she reads Gunslinger then i'll bake her a cake :lol: she is in the process of reading it now

OchrisO
01-16-2011, 02:07 PM
I finally got my roommate to read them. He is on Song of Susannah at the moment.

Erin
01-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Clyde? I'm surprised he hasn't read them before, considering the other stuff he likes.

Bethany
01-16-2011, 05:16 PM
I have a friend who doesn't really like stephen king but I told her if she reads Gunslinger then i'll bake her a cake :lol: she is in the process of reading it now

I haven't thought of using baked goods.

kluker
01-16-2011, 05:25 PM

it works fairly well

RUBE
01-16-2011, 07:09 PM
I got my boss to start reading The Dark Tower just before Christmas. We talk about movies and books all the time and I always compared them to The Dark Tower. Finally he said that he was going to have to read it so he would know what I was talking about.

Letti
01-25-2011, 02:21 PM

it works fairly well

In my case I think it would work better if I said "if you don't read the books I will bake you a cake." :)

RainInSpain
01-28-2014, 08:33 AM
Yesterday I was browsing through profiles of my coworkers on vkontakte (a Russian doppelganger for fb), and at one point my heart almost skipped a beat - I saw that one of the guys (whom I barely know) has a VERY familiar pic on his av - Roland stepping through the door, with the DT in the background. Today, I was practically sprinting to work, anxious to find out if I have met a fellow DT junkie (would have been way cool!). Alas, the pic meant nothing to him - he just liked it for its artistic quality. :(
However, I used this opportunity to tell him and the guy at the desk next to him, how awesome DT is :rock: So hopefully, this will lead to another couple of converts joining our ranks :D

KatetOfNineteen
02-01-2014, 09:06 PM
A coworker of mine read The Gunslinger then quit reading books to write his own novel. While I respect his wishes to fully focus on developing his own book and not using others as basis for his plot and characters, I did convince him to read The Drawing of the Three. He was happy that I did because he had become lost with his book and needed the break. He is reading the Waste Lands now and all we do is talk about the Dark Tower and our other coworkers have no idea what is going on. We talk in High Speech and all.

Girlystevedave
02-11-2014, 06:48 AM
Awesome. I wonder, is it even possible for someone to read The Drawing of the Three without getting addicted? :orely:

Girlystevedave
02-11-2014, 07:13 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/girlystevedave/bad4fcee-f0e3-45f8-afeb-abad382ce1fd_zpsfbb6b538.jpg?t=1392131187

I have this image as the wallpaper on my work computer. Jacob saw it the other day, and asked:

"Mama, what's that picture?"
Me: "It's from a book series I've read, called The Dark Tower."
Jacob: [staring at the picture for a moment] "It's really cool."
Me: "It sure is."
On the inside, I was thinking "You're only 5 years old, and I'm already planning to convert you to a DT junkie as soon as you're old enough. You being cool enough to appreciate this picture is the first step in the right direction." :lol:
[rubs hands together]

Jean
02-12-2014, 01:09 PM
I hope we'll all still be here chewing the fat when he is old enough to read it

Girlystevedave
06-26-2014, 05:07 AM
I tried to get my friend to read The Dark Tower series a few years back. She started it, but never got into it at the time. She called me last night and said she is officially hooked on Drawing of the Three. It is a glorious day! :D

Merlin1958
06-26-2014, 07:22 PM
My son and my daughter, in like 2003. I just told them, "Daddy, wants you to read this". They did!!! LOL

Jon
06-26-2014, 08:50 PM
I just got a co worker hooked. She is on SoS.

She got frustrated with another co-worker last week and slipped.

"I am going to kill him and send his corpse to todash!"

Derg Corra
09-08-2014, 07:04 PM
I converted my younger brother years ago.

AstroDad
01-25-2015, 01:11 PM
Just got two of my boys hooked recently, 14 & 12. The 14 year old is only half way through The Gunslinger, but says he is in enjoying it. The 12 year old tore through The Gunslinger in 3 days and is on to DotT. Very excited they are getting into King, although many of his books I don't think I will le tthem read for a few more years.

Is there a website with a parental guide to Stephen King somewhere?

Girlystevedave
01-30-2015, 11:40 AM
Just got two of my boys hooked recently, 14 & 12. The 14 year old is only half way through The Gunslinger, but says he is in enjoying it. The 12 year old tore through The Gunslinger in 3 days and is on to DotT. Very excited they are getting into King, although many of his books I don't think I will le tthem read for a few more years.

Is there a website with a parental guide to Stephen King somewhere?

That's so awesome that you're getting to share King with your kids. And it's especially exciting that one of them is about to experience DotT for the first time. :thumbsup:

I don't know if there's a parental guide anywhere. But, searching for it, I stumbled upon this article about banned Stephen King books. I only knew about Rage being banned. I had no idea about these other ones mentioned. http://thecensorshipofstephenking.weebly.com/challengebanning-factors.html Sorry, it's not a parent guide. I got sidetracked. :lol:

And I know it's kinda hard to judge what SK you want your kids to read, but I was 12 when I read Night Shift and Cujo and didn't have nightmares/issues after. I think there's definitely a lot of King material you could let them read. :)

Heck, maybe creating a SK Parent Guide wouldn't be a bad idea. :orely:

AstroDad
01-31-2015, 05:13 PM
Thanks! Yes, I originally dismissed the idea of King at their age until I realized they were right around the age I was when I started reading him and I don't recall thinking twice about the content a that age, nor do I recall anything being off limits.

I still plan to put a little thought into it before handing over each one, but I've told them to if there is anything that bothers them or they have questions about that they read to just come to me and we will talk about it.

RainInSpain
02-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Agree with Girlystevedave - I started reading King and Koontz when I was about 14, and did not have any nightmares. I also read a lot of other books that were relatively explicit in nature (historical novels mostly, some with pretty graphic descriptions of sex and violence) - because at that age I read anything and everything I could lay my hands on, and my parents had a large library - and I do not think it has affected me negatively in any way (at least not that I can tell).

And as to horror literature as a genre, those books are much more scary to read now that I'm a parent myself.

I'd say, let your kids read it if they are interested, and be there for them if/when they want to discuss what they've read.

Girlystevedave
02-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Thanks! Yes, I originally dismissed the idea of King at their age until I realized they were right around the age I was when I started reading him and I don't recall thinking twice about the content a that age, nor do I recall anything being off limits.

I still plan to put a little thought into it before handing over each one, but I've told them to if there is anything that bothers them or they have questions about that they read to just come to me and we will talk about it.

I think it's cool that you are being open with them about it and telling them to come to you if they have questions.
I hope that I can one day share Stephen King with my son. (The only reason I discovered King was because my parents had Night Shift and Cujo on their bookshelf. That plunged me into being obsessed with everything King.) He's 6 right now, but told me recently that, if I still have Revival when he's bigger, he wants to read it. I said "Okay, when you're older, I'll let you read it."
His response: "What, when I'm like 7 or 8?" :lol:

Agree with Girlystevedave - I started reading King and Koontz when I was about 14, and did not have any nightmares. I also read a lot of other books that were relatively explicit in nature (historical novels mostly, some with pretty graphic descriptions of sex and violence) - because at that age I read anything and everything I could lay my hands on, and my parents had a large library - and I do not think it has affected me negatively in any way (at least not that I can tell).

And as to horror literature as a genre, those books are much more scary to read now that I'm a parent myself.

I'd say, let your kids read it if they are interested, and be there for them if/when they want to discuss what they've read.

I hope I can be open with my son like my parents were with me in regards to movies/books. It's funny how, as a parent, your filter changes a bit (at least for me). I think about all the things I was exposed to and enjoyed, but then think about him, and over-analyze every aspect of it like "what age should he be to read/watch/listen to this?"
I agree with you about letting them read what interests them and just being there to discuss it with them when they want. That's the only way for them to find out what they really like. :)

Jon
02-07-2015, 12:41 AM
Age...I got really tired of waiting between the OG Gunslinger and DT7. It really made me an old man!

Girlystevedave
02-27-2015, 11:15 AM
My friend is reading The Wastelands! [punches the air triumphantly]

Nickelwise
04-14-2015, 10:06 AM
I've got my 16 year old nephew on the verge of starting The Gunslinger. Right now he's too bogged down with school work, but promises he'll start it soon and I'm planning on holding him to it.

chucknbuck
04-21-2015, 06:08 AM
I bought the first book for a friend two weeks ago, and he is now almost done with the second book and appears to be as hooked as I was. I hope he doesn't resent the recommendation once he is done, as it is an emotionally exhausting series. I also want to get my wife to read it and see if she has the same strong reaction.

Girlystevedave
09-18-2018, 11:48 AM
I have a coworker who loves Stephen King, but has not read The Dark Tower yet. I may or may not have just ordered a copy of The Gunslinger for her.

racerx45
09-19-2018, 07:29 AM
I have a coworker who loves Stephen King, but has not read The Dark Tower yet. I may or may not have just ordered a copy of The Gunslinger for her.

Excellent. I have a few friends that need more friends like you… oh wait I could do that too. :thumbsup:

St. Troy
09-19-2018, 07:51 AM
I only know one reader (my daughter) who might read something this long based on my recommendation, and I think I lost her when I told her that DT was like a combination of the best thing I've ever read and the worst thing I've ever read, and that many of King's less desirable traits (with which I've familiarized her) were in full force in DT.

Girlystevedave
09-19-2018, 10:16 AM

Excellent. I have a few friends that need more friends like you… oh wait I could do that too. :thumbsup:

:lol: Yes, you could!

I only know one reader (my daughter) who might read something this long based on my recommendation, and I think I lost her when I told her that DT was like a combination of the best thing I've ever read and the worst thing I've ever read, and that many of King's less desirable traits (with which I've familiarized her) were in full force in DT.

Yeah, I'd say you pretty much ruined the chance of her giving that a go then, huh? :lol:

Sai Sheb
09-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Only two.
Gordo my head chef, a long time ago, was the first...
We read the books in tandem so was great to discuss.
Col was the next, many years later, a chef who worked under me... all those years apart and still my love, desire, craze, passion, heart is still there for the best and worst books ever...
I cant thank SK enough for giving me this gift...

bogmonkey
10-17-2018, 09:18 AM
I have turned on three people to the DT

One person hated it and never finished the Gunslinger.
One person has already read the series twice and, like me, considers it the best series ever written
One person was kinda meh, and petered out around Wolves of the Calla