PDA

View Full Version : Why do we like being scared?

Letti
08-13-2007, 02:01 PM
What's so damn good about it? :D Why is it good to scream to tremble or to cry out and jump up as we are watching a movie?
We like watching horror movies about crazy killers but I am sure we wouldn't like to meet them face to face in real life.
So?

Darkthoughts
08-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Good question!! :thumbsup:

I have no clue to the answer :lol: I mean I get really scared when I watch horrors. Not so much during the film, but after when I'm trying to get to sleep unable to stop replaying the scariest parts in my head!

Is it something to do with confronting fear d'you think? Its sort of safe to see your worst nightmares on a screen, knowing they can't physically reach out and grab you (no, I have not and will not watch Ringu!! :lol:)

Mike Beck
08-13-2007, 07:07 PM
I think it's all about getting that rush. your senses are heightened when you're scared. and i think darkthoughts is right about the safety factor of it being on screen or written on a page. a way to experience that rush without any real danger to worry about. like getting your achilles tendon sliced by a kid under a bed.

Daghain
08-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Adrenaline. Oh yeah. And I LOVE a good scary story. It doesn't even have to be gory; when I was a child we had a record (yes I am dating myself, we acually owned a RECORD PLAYER, people) of kids' poems (and this will also date me because now I could imagine the "this will scar my kid for life" comments) of an English recording of The Erl King that scared the living hell out of me. I listened to it incessantly; I totally loved it. It was one of those recordings with the spooky background music and the guy with the really spooky voice too - nice touch.:)

When I got in high school I discovered that it was origninally written in German, and people, let me tell you, the Germans can scare some kids (I blame my third-generation German father for a love of this stuff).

For your amusement (or horror):

The Erl-King

Who rides so late through night and wind?
It is the father with his child;
He holds the boy safe in his arm,
He holds him close and keeps him warm.

"My son, why do you hide your face in fear?"
"Don't you see, father, the Erl-King there?
The Erl-King with crown and robe?"
"My son, that is only a wreath of the mist."

"My pretty child, come, come with me!
Some pretty games I'll play with you.
Many a bright flower grows on the shore,
And my mother has many golden robes."

"My father, my father, now do you hear
What the Erl-King is promising me?"
"Be calm, remain calm, my child,
The nightwind is rustling the dry leaves."

"Will you, sweet boy, now come with me?
My daughters will wait on you,
My daughters will lead the nightly round,
And rock you and dance you and sing you to sleep."

"My father, my father, don't you see there
The Erl-King in that gloomy place?"
"My son, my son, I see it clearly;
It is merely the old willows so gray."

"I love you, I'm charmed by your lovely appearance,
And if you're unwilling, I will use force."
"My father, my father, he's seizing me now!
The Erl-King has done me terrible harm!"

The father shudders, and now he rides fast,
In his arms he holds the moaning boy,
He reached his farm all troubled with need,
In his arms his dear child was dead.

The German version, which (and I LOVE the Germans for this, they tell it like it is, IMHO) scared the crap out of me all over again at the age of about sixteen:

Der Erlkönig

Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind?
Es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind.
Er hat den Knaben wohl in dem Arm,
Er faßt ihn sicher, er hält ihn warm.

`Mein Sohn, was birgst du so bang dein Gesicht?'
`Siehst, Vater, du den Erlkönig nicht?
Den Erlkönig mit Kron und Schweif?'
`Mein Sohn, es ist ein Nebelstreif.'

`Du liebes Kind, komm, geh mit mir!
Gar schöne Spiele spiel ich mit dir
Mach bunte Blumen sind an dem Strand,
Meine Mutter hat manch gülden Gewand.'

`Mein Vater, mein Vater, und hörest du nicht,
Was Erlkönig mir leise verspricht?'
`Sei ruhig, bleibe ruhig, mein Kind,
In dürren Blättern säuselt der Wind.'

`Willst, feiner Knabe, du mit mir gehn?
Meine Töchter sollen dich warten schön,
Meine Töchter führen den nächtlichen Reihn
Und wiegen und tanzen und singen dich ein.'

`Mein Vater, mein Vater, und siehst du nicht dort
Erlkönig Töchter am düstern Ort?'
`Mein Sohn, mein Sohn, ich seh es genau,
Es scheinen die alten Weiden so grau.'

`Ich liebe dich, mich reizt deine schöne Gestalt,
Und bist du nicht willing, so brauch ich Gewalt!'
`Mein Vater, mein Vater! jetzt faßt er mich an!
Erlkönig hat mir ein Leid's getan!'

Dem Vater grauset's, er reitet geschwind
Er hält in den Armen das ächzende Kind,
Erreicht den Hof mit Müh und Not,
In seinen Armen das Kind war tot.

Freaks me out. Every time. Damn, I love that poem. :lol:

Darkthoughts
08-14-2007, 03:01 AM
That is fantastic - I don't speak German, but the English version was eerie enough for me.

Reminds me of the Buffy episode where the baddy was a monster that stole and killed children, die kinderstod? (sp) something like that.

In a way similar to you describing how listening to that freaked you out, when I was 12 I went to stay at a summer camp in France for a month with 8 other English kids and about 40 French kids. One guy had bought the cassettes (eh, not quite vinyl...but it was a long time ago too :D ) of War of the Worlds and we used to listen to it at night in our dorm, duvets on the floor, lights out, all crowded round the cassette player...its kinda thrilling to be scared sometimes isn't it ;)

Letti
08-14-2007, 03:28 AM
When I was 10 I could piss into my pants from the music of X-Files. :lol: It's strange to think back because now I don't find in scary at all.
(I watched it every time I could but I usually turned off the TV before the end of the film because I couldn't handle my fears.)

Darkthoughts
08-14-2007, 03:32 AM
:lol: Its nothing to be ashamed of, I could only watch X Files if Rob was there aswell...I was about 22 at the time :D

Letti
08-14-2007, 03:36 AM
:lol: Its nothing to be ashamed of, I could only watch X Files if Rob was there aswell...I was about 22 at the time :D

I feel much better. :rose:

:D

Jean
08-14-2007, 03:53 AM
Zombies, gore, monsters? Vampires? Voices whispering in the dark? What are the scariest parts of the movies and books, and why?

I watched The Shining, which is at best a mediocre movie; there are some moments there that should have been scary, - only for me they weren't.

The Shining (movie) spoiler
There were those girls who in ghostly voiced said, "Come play with us", and Jack screaming in his sleep, and those flashes that revealed those horrible things, and the rivers of blood

and all of that was rather entertaining, but not scary. It was impressive (like someone yelling, "Surprize!" into your ear), and sometimes disgusting (which, too, is entertaining, as opposed to boring); all in all, the impact they made on me was exactly what any good special effect would have made. There was, however one scene that shocked me deeply, and scared me; it was frightening (as opposed to entertaining, impressive, or disgusting).

If you remember, Jack keeps writing, presumably a novel... he keeps sitting there and typing it... and at last his wife sees what he's been obsessively typing. It's one sentence, "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy", over and over again, in various layouts, as text, as dialog, as verse, as epigraphe, - and I almost screamed out loud.

Because it was insanity incarnate. That's what I am personally afraid of most of all: insanity. Because, mind you, it is not a special effect, it is not some ingenious director's invention, it is not even brilliant play of a brilliant actor, like all other scenes of Jack going mad - it's the real thing, it steps off the screen and creeps here into my room. It's the sick horror of a living nightmare; something that never lets me find

DT7 spoiler
the EEEEEEEEEE screamed by Crimson King

funny to any degree.

Well, what is your worst nightmare in movies, books or any other media?

Jean
08-14-2007, 03:55 AM
I've made a new thread on fear, to reserve this one for the question Letti asked in the title. Why do we like to be scared, and what scares us most, seem to me different questions, and will be easier traceable in put in separate threads.

Letti
08-14-2007, 04:13 AM
Great idea, Jean. I cannot wait to read the answers there.
(Anyway the title of the thread is excellent.)

Letti
08-14-2007, 04:16 AM
Maybe I am redicious but for me the scariest thing about a movie is the music itself. If it's good and the movie is good, as well.

Zombies, monsters, vampires and stuff like that cannot touch me at all.

But an insane person can. Who respects nothing and who plays and lives in his own little insane world (where human's life is just a toy or even less) can scare the hell out of me.

sarah
08-14-2007, 06:53 AM
great thread, jean :D

The movie version of The Shining used to scare me when I was a kid but it just seems sort of silly now.

What scares me most as an adult? Probably a Red Balloon all by itself. *shiver* IT has stayed with me for years.

sarah
08-14-2007, 06:59 AM
I personally don't scare too easy. I don't really liked to be scared in the first place. I would have to say that books tend to freak me out a bit more than movies. If the writing is good, then my imagination can get my blood pounding.

IT, did the trick for me. eeeek!

Daghain
08-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Love the thread title. :)

I'll agree with the insanity thing. As a matter of fact, a good psychological thriller will freak me right out every time, exactly because insanity and craziness are a real part of human existence.

Mike Beck
08-14-2007, 10:04 AM
i'm afraid of insanity and clowns. and old men charging at me with a pair of sharp scissors.

Darkthoughts
08-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Things that are disturbing rather than flat out scary, freak me out the most. Like the book "We Need To Talk About Kevin" - it was totally vile because it was so realistic and probable.

Matt
08-14-2007, 02:02 PM
I am scared mostly of the supernatural. SK has convinced me that reality is a very thin veil so I am always on the look out for things that have "crossed over"

Luckily my dog can sense that stuff so she is a great early warning.

Wuducynn
08-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Things that are disturbing rather than flat out scary, freak me out the most. Like the book "We Need To Talk About Kevin" - it was totally vile because it was so realistic and probable.

How about things that are disturbing but not necessarily "real" whatever that word means...like the movie "Naked Lunch"? Or "Fire Walk With Me"? Have you ever seen those?

Erin
08-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Great thread Jean!

There is a scene in Exorist 3 that scares the bejezus out of me. It shows a nurse working at the end of a hallway in a mental institution. She gets up and goes to check in a room, she then locks the door and turns to walk away. Instantly she is chased by a patient wearing a stolen nurses uniform weilding a pair of shears. The scene then jumps to a picture of a headless statue. It creeps me the fuck out.

Here is the scene. It is always on those "Scariest Movie Moment Countdowns" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY)

Mike Beck
08-14-2007, 06:39 PM
that movie is terrifying. i love exorcist III. that scene is freaky as hell.

Erin
08-14-2007, 08:22 PM
I know right? And that scene where the patient crawls on the ceiling. I think I had nightmares for a week.

Daghain
08-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Nope, go watch Hard Candy. That'll scare the heck out of you. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to bet a good 50% of the men who watch it will have to leave the room at one point. :D

We have a friend who will no longer let DBF pick the movie. :lol:

Erin
08-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Oooh I've never even heard of it. I'm always looking for good horror movies.

*goes to add it to Netflix*

Daghain
08-14-2007, 08:31 PM
It's an excellent psychological thriller with a healthy dose of gross-out. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say the ewwww factor is around 6 or 7. :lol:

ZoNeSeeK
08-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Yeah that was a little harrowing Daghain ;) but I thought it was very improbable that he wouldnt feel any pain from just a pack of ice being placed on his nuts, I mean - c'mon. There's numb and then there's numb.

Daghain
08-14-2007, 08:46 PM
I agree, I wasn't all on board with it either, butthe video had me wondering.

I still think the setup was brilliant, however. And like I said, Bob had to leave the room for like a 1/2 hour. :lol: The squick factor was too much for him. You know, you don't have to really castrate someone for it to scare the crap out of most men. LOL.

I think what did it for him was when she said, Oh look, they bounce!

Yep, he was done after that. :lol:

Letti
08-14-2007, 09:05 PM
So she will tear the puppets apart if they get alive. ;)

ZoNeSeeK
08-15-2007, 12:19 AM
heheh, yeah it was hard .. but i could watch that alot easier than movies like saw etc where normal people are being tortured in horrific situations for pure sensation.

Darkthoughts
08-15-2007, 09:02 AM
How about things that are disturbing but not necessarily "real" whatever that word means...like the movie "Naked Lunch"? Or "Fire Walk With Me"? Have you ever seen those?

Not seen the second one - but I love Naked Lunch...it affected me, but I didn't find it overly disturbing more plain old bizarre than anything.
I'm trying to think of another example - Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original), fr'instance. Know what disturbed me the most in that film? The bit where they're trying to get their dried up old grandad to hit the girl on the head with a hammer...all the screaming and the fact that it was almost comical...freaky as fuck and not good. And I guess that too was more realistic - compared to like Freddie Kruger and stuff. I mean, that kinda thing grosses me out, but its not real or likely to be real.

Wuducynn
08-15-2007, 11:59 AM
You should try and find "Fire Walk With Me" when you get a chance...it's the "Twin Peaks" movie (remember that series?) and is neck and neck with Naked Lunch as the oddest, most hard to understand, movie I've ever seen.

Matt
08-15-2007, 02:37 PM
I have her strictly for the return of the Clown.

She is the fourth in the line of "Matt Guardians" :lol:

Jean
08-15-2007, 09:49 PM
answering the title question

we like being scared (among other reasons) because it is entertaining. Reading so-called "real literature" or some genre literature (like romance) may, and often does, prove boring, but being scared - if we really are scared - never is.

Letti
08-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Okay... here is another answer but maybe it's just a fantasy.

We like beings cared by books and moves because when we fear mosnters and non-existing seriel killers we needn't face (at that very moment) our real fears in our real life.
For example when my mom put me on the street I went to the ciname late in the evening and I watched a horror movie however I hardly ever watch them because I wanted to turn off my mind...

Daghain
08-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Oh yeah adrenaline rush = sign me up!!!! :D

ZoNeSeeK
08-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Fire Walk With Me is what you want to watch if you dont want to sit through the whole twin peaks series :P

Darkthoughts
08-16-2007, 06:16 AM
I always wanted one of those "I killed Laura" bumper stickers :P

Wuducynn
08-16-2007, 07:09 AM
I always wanted one of those "I killed Laura" bumper stickers :P

Awesome, I've never seen those.

Wuducynn
08-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Fire Walk With Me is what you want to watch if you dont want to sit through the whole twin peaks series :P

Right, or if you like watching acid-trips.

Darkthoughts
08-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Isn't Eraserhead like that too? As for the bumper stickers...you could probably get them on ebay, but back when Twin Peaks was on tv first time round I used to see loads of them. As cheesily cool as the "I shot JR" ones :D

Mattrick
08-21-2007, 10:21 PM
What's so damn good about it? :D Why is it good to scream to tremble or to cry out and jump up as we are watching a movie?
We like watching horror movies about crazy killers but I am sure we wouldn't like to meet them face to face in real life.
So?

Haven't watched a movie yet that got to me, well except when I was a little kid. Wes Craven's New Nightmare at the age of seven was a good christening I think lol. For years I anxiously awaited each new horror release and am always disappointed in not being scary at all. I still love them but want a real horror movie.

I hope one day to get a hack at my own horror movie.

HanzouNorak
01-11-2008, 12:51 PM
well damn im stumped, there's little im afraid of, and that "little" is currently something i really can't figure out. come to think of it, the closest ive ever come to being scared is jumping when something comes out of nowhere and nails somebody. but that kinda doesn't happen alot, too easy to predict, you know? i find my self shouting "Awww Fuck! i didn't want her to die!" often rather than jumping at the scene which was what the director intended.

so ummmm................ yea..............

i supose i'll just say my worst fear, maybe that'll give someone some ideas; deep dark water where you cant see the bottom. frickin makes me cringe thinking about it.

TerribleT
01-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Pet Semetary... I literally had chills running up and down my spine while reading that book.

In the movie..The scene where the little boy says first I played with mommie, then I played with Mr. Johnson, and now I'm gonna play with youuuuuu Daddy. Again, chills up and down my spine.

REDRUM, REDRUM, that was freaky...

There's a scene in Billy Bathgate where they put one of the character's feet in cement, and then push him over the edge of a boat into the ocean, with his hands tied behind his back. The though of drowning, without even a chance to fight really screwes with my head.

The scene in Alien where the cat jumps out instead of the Alien you were expecting.

TerribleT
01-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I agree, I wasn't all on board with it either, butthe video had me wondering.

I still think the setup was brilliant, however. And like I said, Bob had to leave the room for like a 1/2 hour. :lol: The squick factor was too much for him. You know, you don't have to really castrate someone for it to scare the crap out of most men. LOL.

I think what did it for him was when she said, Oh look, they bounce!

Yep, he was done after that. :lol:

That's just WRONG!!!!!!

alinda
01-11-2008, 01:21 PM
I do not have much to fear (naturally) but I've experienced a few things
that give me pause ...but when they can get you with the "jump out' man,
its silly but thats what gets me.

al'Lan Mandragoran
01-14-2008, 11:37 AM
I fear falling the most.

fernandito
01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Literally or metaphortically?

Mattrick
01-14-2008, 03:49 PM
I've experienced night terrors before resulting in concious hallucinations. I've had many horrible nightmares. Whenever other people tell me their nightmares or dreams they all see plain. Or maybe it's that I remember many aspects of my dreams. I can recall dreams I had when I was four or five. I suppose my dreams have always been a key aspect to my life.\

Viruses scare me, though. Or when I think about a nuclear explosion and think of the thousands or millions of lifes that suddenly end, relationships, drama, joy, happiness just gone in an instant. That is scary. Something akin to Captain Trips or a horrible version of the Avian flu. 28 Days Later is also freaky for this reason.

al'Lan Mandragoran
01-15-2008, 11:07 AM

Literally.

Letti
01-15-2008, 11:12 AM

Literally.

And how long have you had this fear? (Now, I am not a psychologist.) :)

al'Lan Mandragoran
01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Ha... I can't say for sure. I think I was born with it. Even getting near a slightly raised ledge scares me spitless.

Jon
01-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Spiders, snakes, coyotes, big dogs...all these I can handle. A simple crawldad, lobster, crab, scorpion...anything with crab-like claws really creeps me out!

The odd thing is that The Drawing of the Three was my favorite in the DT series.

Matt
01-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Clowns--bad stuff.

Jonn Wolfe
01-16-2008, 02:57 PM
The only thing that really unnerve me are black holes.

Storyslinger
01-16-2008, 07:03 PM
being completly helpless in a situation is my only fear

Mattrick
01-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Spiders, snakes, coyotes, big dogs...all these I can handle. A simple crawldad, lobster, crab, scorpion...anything with crab-like claws really creeps me out!

The odd thing is that The Drawing of the Three was my favorite in the DT series.

I have a phobia of spiders, yet I love them. I just don't want them on me. Perhaps I'll post a picture of my preserved Hapeotolis Minax *Black Thailand Tarantula* (spelling may be off) that has been where I've slept, for about two years now. At times it has haunted my dreams. This spider looks like, The King of Spiders. It's seriously bigger than my face. I've a picture of it up next to a DVD case for comparison. This is the spider the Crimson King would be in my mind, in Spider form.

ATG
01-17-2008, 05:03 AM
What Scares You Most?

The apparent economic meltdown we are having.

As far as movies?
When idiot parents bring young children to Rob Zombie movies.

Brice
01-17-2008, 05:12 AM
I fear falling the most.

Falling is not so bad. The subsequent landing kinda' sucks though. :lol:

Jean
01-17-2008, 05:16 AM
"Reminds me of that fellow back home that fell off a ten story building... as he was falling people on each floor kept hearing him say, "So far, so good."
(The Magnificent Seven)

Mattrick
01-17-2008, 01:39 PM
What Scares You Most?

As far as movies?

I would've went as a child, but I never liked kids movies.

When I saw Silent Hill, there was a child crying and I saw a stroller and the mother comforting it. Goddamn, I bet those burnt children demons are going to traumatize that child. That image will be burned in it's subconcious. IT'S CALLED A BABYSITTER HICK PARENTS

Heather19
01-17-2008, 04:42 PM
As far as movies?

Agreed. I think it was when I went to see Halloween this past summer, someone had brought a baby into the theater, who of course ended up crying during the film. And it was after the kid was crying for awhile before the parent even got up to take the kid out of the theater for a little bit.

Jon
01-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Clearly they are trying for "Parent of the Year."

Vasagi
01-18-2008, 08:35 AM
What Scares You Most?

As far as movies?

I would've went as a child, but I never liked kids movies.

When I saw Silent Hill, there was a child crying and I saw a stroller and the mother comforting it. Goddamn, I bet those burnt children demons are going to traumatize that child. That image will be burned in it's subconcious. IT'S CALLED A BABYSITTER HICK PARENTS

When I used to frequent the theaters, I hated shit like that. One time, I went to the manager and demanded that either he get the parent with the baby to leave, or give me my money back. It wasn't the theater's fault that my experience was ruined, but I'm not about to waste good money trying to watch a movie over a screaming child. Bitching at a mother who brought a baby into a theater would just be a waste of time on an unnecessary confrontation ... if they're stupid enough to do it in the first place, then they're not going to care if I bitch or not.

Movie houses should have rules in place where people can't take babies in ... unless it's a kid's day or something where they're showing a bunch of 'G' movies to a housefull of kids already. A movie theater is no place for an infant ... the speaker systems are just going to freak them out and set them off.

Incidentally, I don't get to the theaters any more because now I have young children of my own.

albert_sy2
01-27-2008, 07:04 AM
i do not like being scared. but i do love stephen king's books.

i was scared worst by The Shining and Room 1408.... something about hotels creeps me out.

LadyHitchhiker
01-27-2008, 06:11 PM
adrenaline rush baby!

jayson
01-27-2008, 06:12 PM
i definitely prefer to get the crap scared out of me by books or movies than by anything in reality.

LadyHitchhiker
01-27-2008, 06:17 PM
agreed

Storyslinger
01-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Fear brings us into touch with that primative and animal side of us, that very few encounter on a regular basis

Woofer
02-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Also, we indulge our fears for the endorphin release. Another reason is to reassure ourselves that no matter how bad life is now, at least we're not (a) being stalked or tortured by a psychopath, (b) being hunted by or transformed into a monster, or (c) fighting powerful supernatural forces/beings.

ATG
02-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Because heretofore our lives have lacked real danger.

jemaher
02-15-2008, 04:22 PM
You should try and find "Fire Walk With Me" when you get a chance...it's the "Twin Peaks" movie (remember that series?) and is neck and neck with Naked Lunch as the oddest, most hard to understand, movie I've ever seen.

dont know if you ever saw picnic at hanging rock but it is up there on the weirdometer

mia/susannah
02-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Most horror movies don't scare me that much. But the Saw series leaves me pretty scared. The way that jigsaw plays games with people, tortures and kills them. That is pretty scary to me. :scared:

19thNrvsbrkdwn
02-16-2008, 08:15 PM
I remember coming down with a cold while I was reading The Stand for the first time. That freaked me out a bit! LOL

But insanity I'd have to say say is what I most fear. There is a history in my family. :scared:

Has anyone seen "In the Mouth of Madness" with Sam Neal? I thought that was a pretty weird flick.

Girlystevedave
02-18-2008, 08:14 PM
The disturbing stuff scares me. It makes me think of American Psycho. Decent movie, but the scene where he is in bed with the two women, it still creeps me out. The psychos that are too close to reality really freak me out.

Letti
02-19-2008, 12:22 AM
Oh yes. Reality is the most frightening for me too.

LadyHitchhiker
02-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Ebola is frightening for me.

Going down stairs and not being able to see my feet scares me as well because I broke my foot going down the stairs before and I thought I was missing one step on the stairs and I missed two...

Ka-tet
03-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Spiders, i am scared shitless of spiders.
Losing my girlfriend, thats what scares me most of all.

cozener
03-28-2008, 04:35 AM
I really try to steer clear of "scary" movies. They...well...scare me. And I don't find this a particularly pleasant sensation. But when I say scary I'm talking about, as Alinda said, the "jump out and scare you man" thing. I don't like having my heart skip beats. I'd prefer to watch movies that are creepy rather than "scary" if you catch my meaning. The Blair Witch Project was creepy. Friday the 13th is scary.

If we're just talking about things that scare us I'd have to put castration up near the top of the list. :) Being killed and eaten by an animal is near the top too...a shark, gator, mostly a large snake. (snakes in general scare me) But probably the one thing that scares me more than anything else is the thought of one of my children being "abducted". Jesus, what a nightmare.

Speaking of nightmares I used to have a terrible nightmare when I was a kid about an insane person breaking into my house and trying to kill me. I'd be sitting in bed and I'd hear him giggling on the other side of the door, scraping it with a knife, whispering to me...telling me he was going to come in and get me and that I may as well just unlock the door and let him in because if I didn't it was just going to make it worse for me. Yeah...homicidal maniacs freak me out. Vampires, zombies, ghosts, and what not spook me but the reality of psycho killers trump these things any day of the week.

Heather19
03-28-2008, 02:16 PM
When it comes to films, there's not much that'll scare me. If some crazy killer suddenly jumps out of the shadows, I'll jump just in reflex, but it's not scary to me.
In real life, I know this is kinda silly, but moths freak me out for some reason. I can't stand it if one even comes close to me. And I absolutely hate it if one ever gets into the house.

Girlystevedave
03-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Bright, Shiny people named Todd scare me

alinda
03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Cozner, I cant believe you remember what I said months ago.....but yeah
that "boo" factor, gets ya everytime huh?
The rest you mentioned ....man, your scaring me! :panic:

sensation. as Alinda said, the "jump out and scare you man" thing. I don't like having my heart skip beats.
If we're just talking about things that scare us I'd have to put castration up near the top of the list. :) .

but the reality of psycho killers trump these things any day of the week.

Ka-tet
03-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Cozner said

Speaking of nightmares I used to have a terrible nightmare when I was a kid about an insane person breaking into my house and trying to kill me. I'd be sitting in bed and I'd hear him giggling on the other side of the door, scraping it with a knife, whispering to me...telling me he was going to come in and get me and that I may as well just unlock the door and let him in because if I didn't it was just going to make it worse for me. Yeah...homicidal maniacs freak me out. Vampires, zombies, ghosts, and what not spook me but the reality of psycho killers trump these things any day of the week.

Holy shit :scared:

And movie wise there isnt much that will scare me, same book wise. Although pet semitary scared me, its been a while but...the part with the wendigo was it? that scared me shitless i wouldnt even get up for a drink before i went to sleep

mia/susannah
04-01-2008, 03:24 PM
In real life, what scares me the most is the thought of losing another child. My biggest fear is that another child of mine will die and that would kill me

Girlystevedave
04-01-2008, 03:32 PM
The thought of losing any of my loved ones scares me....but especially my sister.

LadyHitchhiker
04-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Imagine there's no heaven... no after-life... THAT is terrifying to me.

Brice
04-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Imagine there's no heaven... no after-life... THAT is terrifying to me.

It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky

Sorry, I had to.

I have a morbid fear of anyone I care about being out of my sight. After more than an hour of unexpected absence my mind begins weaving intricate plots of some great horrible SOMETHING that happened to them. :cry:

LadyHitchhiker
04-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Yeah I think it's funny how John Lennon speaks of if we don't believe in heaven then the whole world will live as one...

Jean
04-04-2008, 11:24 PM
I have a morbid fear of anyone I care about being out of my sight. After more than an hour of unexpected absence my mind begins weaving intricate plots of some great horrible SOMETHING that happened to them. :cry:
absolutely the same. And it's getting worse with years, although only a few years ago I could have sworn it couldn't get any worse.

Brice
04-05-2008, 04:44 AM
Though I have very little creativity artistically it's scary how inventive my mind gets when it comes to this.

Yeah I think it's funny how John Lennon speaks of if we don't believe in heaven then the whole world will live as one...

With no disrespect intended to those who are religious, perhaps if people stopped focusing about where they're going to go (whether there's a god or not) we could get a little closer to a "heaven" here on earth.

alinda
04-05-2008, 05:48 AM
Be here now

Brice
04-05-2008, 05:51 AM
okay :couple:

susie
04-14-2008, 05:37 PM
when i was ten i dreamed that my younger brother was tortured in front of me. nothing will ever be as scary as the thought of being that helpless, to not be able to save the small person who trusts/loves you completely (like your child, or baby sibling)!

the second scariest thing: when my dad went crazy and i saw his "real" face. i think that made me appreciate stephen king's works more (haha), because his descriptions of insanity seem right on. XD but it freaks me out, the idea of someone you know having a secret face under his face.

and a third scary thing: the house of leaves. that book scares the shit out of me. a house being bigger on the inside than the outside... *weeps*

LadyHitchhiker
04-16-2008, 05:10 AM
Though I have very little creativity artistically it's scary how inventive my mind gets when it comes to this.

With no disrespect intended to those who are religious, perhaps if people stopped focusing about where they're going to go (whether there's a god or not) we could get a little closer to a "heaven" here on earth.

No offense intended to anyone at all, but a lot of people without heaven as a goal will just do whatever they want with no fear of repercussions.... Which is very very sad... :(

I personally try to make everyone's life better whether there is an ultimate win or not but do I ever hope there is.... :D On a more personal note, I feel like I'm here to make a difference. I wonder if there's more people in this world that feel that way....

razz
05-30-2008, 02:24 PM
"The scariest, most terrifying thing that I fear?"
"Yes."
"My Imagination."
"I thought you were going to say "Fear, itself."
"Then you have a small imagination."
Roland and Eddie

The Lady of Shadows
05-30-2008, 07:01 PM
spiders
running out of chocolate

razz
05-30-2008, 07:23 PM
spiders
someone hurting my goddaughter the way i was hurt
being found
the horror...the horror...
I hate spiders. freked out last year when i we found a bunch of black widows in Marketing class (that would be the second run-in with them)

razz
05-30-2008, 07:41 PM
learn about the first time in the ocd thread.

darkchar
05-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Crazy monkeys loose in my kitchen. Monkeys sitting on top my fridge throwing and breaking things.

ladysai
05-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Snakes!
Creepy crawly sneaky snakes...
EEEEK!

The Lady of Shadows
05-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Crazy monkeys loose in my kitchen. Monkeys sitting on top my fridge throwing and breaking things.

so. first of all - welcome to palaver. it's great to have you here.

now, i just have to ask. has this actually happened? or are you just afraid of it happening? :unsure:

Frunobulax
05-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Spiders.
Heights.
Spiders high up.

darkchar
05-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Just afraid. Have you ever seen
"Jumanji"?

Unfound One
05-30-2008, 11:42 PM
The dark.
Seriously.

obscurejude
05-30-2008, 11:46 PM
The light.
Seriously.

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 04:44 AM
I think this was already a thread but I'll join in. :D

Going down stairs and not being able to see my feet
incurable diseases (i.e. ebola, etc.,.)
Zombies

razz
05-31-2008, 05:02 AM
why would you fear zombies. I Welcome the zombie apocalypse.

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Because I'm not fast enough or strong enough or anything enough to escape the zombies forever, to survive, and it is an incurable disease unless you follow the dream I had the other night where the cure was yellow mustard squirted in the eyes while someone is changing.

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't like things I have absolutely positively no chance of changing (i.e. diseases with no cures)

razz
05-31-2008, 09:41 AM
the day the undead attack, i will have field day.

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 09:44 AM
And I will cower behind you like a scared little puppy...

razz
05-31-2008, 09:45 AM
cower as much as you need.

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 09:46 AM
You're too cool!

razz
05-31-2008, 09:49 AM
but if i tell you to throw a brick or somethin, can ya do that?

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Sure thing, just don't make me go down a set of stairs with too big of a load in my arms. I broke my foot in high school on the stairs and now I get nervous on them...

razz
05-31-2008, 09:52 AM
no, i just need you to throw something if i ask. last time someone used me as a shield from the undead, i told them to throw a brick through a window, and she...let's just say it wasn't pretty

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:07 AM
I can throw a brick. For sure!!!!

razz
05-31-2008, 10:09 AM
good. now wear this hat
http://www.wardrobecostume.co.uk/admin/uploads/300/29_11338_Top_Hat_Stovepipe_300.jpg

and sing O Canada. in Japanese, with a German accent.

Daghain
05-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey razz, there is already a thread like this here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=684&highlight=handful).

You may want to try searching before starting a a new one. :)

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Um... I don't know all the words to O Canada.. can I sing "Blame Canada" and wear the hat?

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:12 AM
I knew this would merge....

razz
05-31-2008, 10:15 AM
that works. but you need to carry a dutch monkey is a wheelbarrow now.

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:19 AM
*shrugs* Why the hell not... but does he have to sing with me? They're rather hard to train in choral arrangements.

razz
05-31-2008, 10:24 AM
nope. in fact, duct tape it's mouth shut.

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Well then that'll be a piece of cake!!!

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:25 AM
*shares cake with Razz*

razz
05-31-2008, 10:26 AM
what flavor?

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Any flavor you want... it's a rainbow cake...

razz
05-31-2008, 10:32 AM
W00t!
why thank you.

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:33 AM
I love rainbow cake... every flavor you can think of. Eat THAT Wonka!!!!! *evil laughter*

Daghain
05-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Okay, kids, back on topic. :lol:

razz
05-31-2008, 10:38 AM
i fear extermination
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/bgr0377l.jpg

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:40 AM
It makes me feel alive to occasionally go off topic.... :D

But I fear getting kicked out.... so I conform ... most of the time...

razz
05-31-2008, 10:44 AM
:borg::borg::borg:don't conform! this will happen!:borg::borg::borg:

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:46 AM
We can go play in palaver castle and not get in trouble though..

razz
05-31-2008, 10:48 AM
yeah, we seem to get off topic a lot. is PC for random babble?

LemurJones
06-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Well... on the one hand, I like being "scared" when I'm, say, in a "haunted house" or on a roller coaster- the part that's thrilling or shocking, but deep down you know you're safe.

I'm scared of losing any more of my teeth, or getting more root canals, or having the caps come off, but that's not really something that works its way into movies. ("Incidentally, all you lemurs who may be watching, YOUR TEETH BWAHAHA")

The thing I'm scared of... I guess is the stuff you can't fight back against. I like a lot of Stephen King's work because the bad guys can be defeated.

A handful of kids can kill the bogeyman, because they believe they can.

A man can kill a vampire with faith and whatever he has handy.

A small-town sheriff can free the souls of townspeople the devil has tricked and used.

A writer's wife can fend off a monster.

A beautiful young boy can save his mother's life.

Even though I'd be scared if I ever had to face anything like that, I know deep down that I'd be safe because I know that I have the power in me to BE safe.

But that only goes for the monsters and the devils and the demons and the people who are possessed.

You can't stop a crazy or evil-for-no-reason person from killing you and torturing your loved ones just because you know that you're right.

So... yeah. Like a lot of people here... the supernatural doesn't scare me.

But people do.

The Lady of Shadows
06-03-2008, 02:47 PM
<snip>So... yeah. Like a lot of people here... the supernatural doesn't scare me.

But people do.

i agree. they scare the hell out of me.

razz
06-03-2008, 02:56 PM
that's why humans are doomed. when the hit shits the fan, humans are naturally incapable of standing together, and are thus inherently doomed.

The Lady of Shadows
06-03-2008, 04:23 PM
that's why humans are doomed. when the hit shits the fan, humans are naturally incapable of standing together, and are thus inherently doomed.

oh now razzle dazzle, don't go getting all gloomy on us. just cause people scare the hell out of me doesn't mean that there aren't a select few i wouldn't fight for. . .

and an even more select few i wouldn't die for. . .

razz
06-03-2008, 05:50 PM
not being gloomy, just stating the facts. there are a lot of people on this site i would rather save in case of something such as say...zombie invasion...than my own family. because
1. i do not trust my family
2. i wish to preserve like minded people (see how untrustworthy i am)
3. other stuff I'll mention later when i think about it.

Unfound One
06-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Bringing this thread back on topic....

I'm scared any bathroom when the shower curtain is closed. Before I shut and lock the door, I always fling the curtain open to make sure nobody's hiding in the shower. I suppose this could also go in the OCD thread, but whatever.

MonteGss
06-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the thread redirect UO. :)
Not many things really scare me...at least I don't remember anything specific. Reading Heart Shaped Box at night in my dark bedroom scared me though. :lol:

razz
06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
you watch psycho?

obscurejude
06-03-2008, 05:58 PM

I'm scared any bathroom when the shower curtain is closed. Before I shut and lock the door, I always fling the curtain open to make sure nobody's hiding in the shower. I suppose this could also go in the OCD thread, but whatever.

If I come to Omaha, I am so going to use this against you. :lol:

Unfound One
06-03-2008, 05:58 PM
No problemo Monte. :)
You saying that made me remember - I'm also scared of watching alien stuff alone. Even documentaries. Silly, I know, and I'll watch them a LOT with friends, but alone, I freak myself out.

MonteGss
06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
You saying that made me remember - I'm also scared of watching alien stuff alone. Even documentaries. Silly, I know, and I'll watch them a LOT with friends, but alone, I freak myself out.

So...no X-Files for you then. :(
Some of those shows freaked me out.

Unfound One
06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
you watch psycho?

I've seen it, yes. But this fear is from way before that. I'm not afraid of being IN the shower, just the bathroom. *shrugs*

If I come to Omaha, I am so going to use this against you. :lol:

:shoot:

John_and_Yoko
06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Thunder and buzzing insects have been known to elicit violent reactions of fear from me.... :scared:

Unfound One
06-03-2008, 06:01 PM

If I'm not alone, sure! :lol:
<------- LAME.

alinda
06-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I am not afraid.

John_and_Yoko
06-03-2008, 06:47 PM
I am not afraid.

*as Yoda*

Ooooh....

You will be.

You will be....

alinda
06-03-2008, 06:50 PM
:D

LemurJones
06-03-2008, 07:00 PM
You know what else, I'm afraid of parasites. They are so... urhrhgelhgeklshgsel.

I am not afraid of natural disasters though, like lightning or hurricanes or tornadoes.... I think it's because I'm young and still feel like that stuff happens to other people, people who are not myself.

alinda
06-03-2008, 07:02 PM
@ the risk of repeating myself....not two.

LadyHitchhiker
06-06-2008, 01:49 PM

I'll make sure Scully holds you... :couple:

LadyHitchhiker
06-06-2008, 01:50 PM
evil children scare me...

razz
06-08-2008, 05:30 PM
i shall show you...
I shall show you TRUE fear!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/avatars/200/18.jpg
hideous, ain't it?
:)
this is the one and only reason, and the only one i need, that i thank god Billie Piper doesn't play the Doctor's companion.
Her "mum" is hidous goblin!

John_and_Yoko
06-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Meh, I've seen worse.

The Lady of Shadows
06-08-2008, 08:17 PM
the fact that for no reason what-so-ever the number of unread posts i have changes. it's inexplicable to me. i open the window it says 872. i close the window and open it again later it says 375. even though i haven't read a single post!
there are ghosts in the machine. :scared:

theBeamisHome
06-10-2008, 05:02 AM
I looked around in Blue Heaven and didn't see anything like this. And we all are horror readers so I figured we're scared by something..

I'll start I guess.

I get scared by some crazy bug that flies in my room while I'm trying to read before I go to sleep at night!! :onfire: it also angers me, but I have some bug issues.

cozener
06-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Top 3 things that scare me...

Insane people
snakes
sharks

And of course I'm fascinated by all three. I'll never skip a documentary about homicidal maniacs, pythons, and great whites.

Sam
06-10-2008, 08:08 AM
spiders

jayson
06-10-2008, 09:14 AM
heights

razz
06-10-2008, 10:06 AM
those are unread post since your last visit. the time you log in last and the time you log in the most recent rime is the unread posts.

razz
06-10-2008, 10:08 AM
it's in the mansion
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=684

theBeamisHome
06-10-2008, 10:22 AM
ohh! thanks razz

theBeamisHome
06-10-2008, 10:24 AM
fear abated

Rjeso
06-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Bioterrorism.
Tornadoes.
Flying, stinging insects.
Being without the people I love.

razz
06-10-2008, 11:20 AM
ooh, i hate bees.

Rjeso
06-10-2008, 11:32 AM

I also have this problem. This is why I made Jimmy get a cell phone, so I can text him if he's not where I expect him to be within ten or fifteen minutes of the appointed time. I always get uber paranoid and start imagining car crashes and hit and runs and muggings gone wrong and medical problems and... etc. etc. etc. It's terrible.

I'm going to be a fun parent. :lol:

cozener
06-10-2008, 11:37 AM
that works. but you need to carry a dutch monkey is a wheelbarrow now.I’m not involved in this conversation but I think this is an important point that needs clarification…does the monkey have to be born in the Netherlands or could it have been born in the Antilles or Aruba? Or could it be born some place else and just be naturalized? For that matter, would a monkey wearing wooden shoes suffice in a pinch?

razz
06-10-2008, 11:45 AM
it has to be of Dutch nationality. a German zoo monkey transfered there counts.

razz
06-10-2008, 11:46 AM
by the way, that applies to anyone who wishes for protection against the zombie hordes.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Cockroaches. Horrible, nauseating, shaking fear at the sight of them.

Old fashioned ventriliquists dummies.

Tornadoes. I discovered this fear the first time I had to spend a half hour in my basement hoping we didn't get hit. Fuck the East Coast, I'll take an earthquake over that shit anyday.

And also insanity. Very unsettling for me.

The Lady of Shadows
06-10-2008, 06:26 PM
the fact that for no reason what-so-ever the number of unread posts i have changes. it's inexplicable to me. i open the window it says 872. i close the window and open it again later it says 375. even though i haven't read a single post!
there are ghosts in the machine. :scared:

those are unread post since your last visit. the time you log in last and the time you log in the most recent rime is the unread posts.

fear abated

no, no, no. fear not abated.

i'm telling you this place is haunted. why would my unread post number go down if i haven't read any posts. if i log in, don't read any posts, log out, then log back in, why does the number of unread posts go down by like 100s? it's either a ghost or a conspiracy. seriously. i think it's got to be one or the other. or maybe a zombie. could be a zombie.

theBeamisHome
06-11-2008, 04:28 AM
but the unread number of posts is just from the time you log in.... when you log back out and log in again.. you get the new number of posts that happened between that time... conspiracy... maybe.. ghost... well i hope not lol

Brice
06-11-2008, 04:43 AM

I also have this problem. This is why I made Jimmy get a cell phone, so I can text him if he's not where I expect him to be within ten or fifteen minutes of the appointed time. I always get uber paranoid and start imagining car crashes and hit and runs and muggings gone wrong and medical problems and... etc. etc. etc. It's terrible.

Oh, I would too. Add to your list...terrorist attacks, random psychos, isolated earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, asteroid crashes, spontaneous combustions, alien abduction, and basically any other possibility regardless how remote. :rofl:

Rjeso
06-11-2008, 05:02 AM
Yeah, pretty much. :lol:

Roland number 19
06-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Josh.

ZoNeSeeK
06-17-2008, 02:49 AM
*SINGS* You thought I loved you but i lied!

Jimmy
06-18-2008, 06:16 PM

Oh, I would too. Add to your list...terrorist attacks, random psychos, isolated earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, asteroid crashes, spontaneous combustions, alien abduction, and basically any other possibility regardless how remote. :rofl:

I'm so delicate. :harrier: :evil: :shoot:

The Lady of Shadows
06-18-2008, 06:30 PM
okay, i'm on board the "fearing for loved ones out of my sight" train. especially when my husband says he'll be home right after work and then isn't and doesn't call. and i call his cell and it either goes straight to his voicemail or he doesn't answer. and it's like three hours after he was supposed to be home and i'm thinking he's dead. :panic: and he's all "oh i thought i told you i was going xxx". ummmm NO.

theBeamisHome
06-19-2008, 04:16 AM
yes that would cause me panic too turtlesong...
i'm afraid of being annoying...

Tiffany
07-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Those big, flying tree roaches.
Tornadoes.
Tsunamis.
The dark.
Ghosts.
The Church of Scientology.

razz
07-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Those big, flying tree roaches.
The Church of Scientology.
:rofl:

stone, rose, unfound door
07-18-2008, 12:46 AM
This thread is definitely good, Jean!
I have to agree on insanity, I guess mainly because it shows some part of us we'd rather not know. Everyone can become insane at some point in their lives, but some people need a lot less of a shock than others to change.
What frightens me the most, though, is evil children. These have no reason to be mad, right, because you get mad by living some horrible experience, or at least some experience that was way too horrible for you. Kids, though, haven't experienced enough for that, and can accept a lot more irrational things than adults ever could, so how come they become insane and evil? That's something I never quite understood.
The films that frighten me the most by far are those in which there are both an evil child and drowning (especially when it was the child that was drowned; guess that's because I almost got drowned once when I was 4 in the local pool), so the most scary film I've ever watched was the Ring (whatever people may say, Eastern Asian film-makers really have the hang of horror movies). Even now, when I wake up in the middle of the night and have to get out of my room, I sometimes imagine I'm going to meet Sadako in the corridor so I stay in bed until I've proven myself she can't be here because I would have known of other people who were dead because they saw THE video too.

Letti
07-18-2008, 02:13 AM
I see your point stone, but I think children can experience the worst things. Because they don't know anything about life about people and they live in their dreams. But when daddy comes home drunk and... I wouldn't like to get into the details but I must say children are the most fragile.
I was hurt by other children a lot as a kid because I had glasses and because of some other reasons and I needed a lot of them to forgive them. I went to sleep crying every single night I was tortured so mcuh by my classmates.
Now I know they must have had an even harder childhood than me, that's why they did what they did. I don't say that those kids have the right to hurt others if they have problems at home because they are too young to be able to handle it.

Once a very clever psychologist said: They are no stupid children but stupid parents.
So I could say there are no evil kids but evil parents.
Of course they are kids who can be nasty without such reasons as well but I do think that most of the children who are "evil" behave that way because they try to get rid of the stress they meet at home.

Jean
07-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Once a very clever psychologist said: They are no stupid children but stupid parents.
I strongly doubt both points.

Letti
07-18-2008, 02:24 AM
I strongly doubt both points.

Of course these are very sharp statements (as I have written it already) nothing is black and white but still there is a lot of truth in them.
I can just repeat myself:
Of course they are kids who can be nasty without such reasons as well but I do think that most of the children who are "evil" behave that way because they try to get rid of the stress they meet at home.

ManOfWesternesse
07-18-2008, 02:49 AM
Yes Letti, kids are, by and large, products of their environment (especially but not exclusively their home environment), but of course thare are exceptions.

The Lady of Shadows
07-18-2008, 11:48 PM
i say there are definite exceptions. and i take strong exception to anyone even suggesting otherwise. if i were a product of my environment i would not be the person i am today. i would either be dead, insane and institutionalized, or out there harming children. not all children end up turning out bad because they had horrible, traumatic, terrifyingly evil childhoods. not all abused children abuse their children. not everyone who was hurt as a child hurts their children or anyone else for that matter.

i know i'm not a mod or one of the ptb but can we get back on topic.

razz
07-19-2008, 04:27 AM
turtle is perfectly correct.

Jon
07-22-2008, 01:43 AM
What scares me most: My parents dying.
Now that they are getting older it's like watching them
slowly die. Everyday they are a little less vibrant, a little less
the people I remember from my childhood.
I've never known a day without them in my life, I'm
afraid of a life without them.

I know this fear. My father died in a car crash, my mother was with him but lived. She was in the hospital for two weeks (quite long in this day and age for injury.) Over those two weeks I saw her die twice only to be returned to me. I had to watch the staff stab her in the back with the tube to drain her lungs. (they could not risk any type of anesthetic in her delecate state, nor pain medication.) She is now my greatest gift. I lost Dad with no warning, no chance to say goodbye. my mother died twice and, without pain medication, had to be stabbed with this;

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/walterodim_photos/Gardner_needle.jpg

But I still have her and she me.
When I said I know your fear, I cannot know it fully. My father died suddenly (instantly actually) and my mother was given back to me twice. I cannot know your fear fully, but I have a concept.

kirin
08-13-2008, 11:09 PM
losing anyone else i care about i have already dealt with more loss than many people my age have had to and dont know if i can take much more

that and religious fanaticism( particularly when it breeds hate towards other religious groups, an example being the thing in america with all these non islamic terrorists claiming to be islamic and they are believed by their words not their actions it scares me that people have so little enlightenment )

JQ The Gunslinger
08-18-2008, 05:03 PM
In a book that scared me

In Insomnia when Ralph and Lois are in Atropos's lair, and there looking at all of his possesions, and they instantly know how the person died. And Ralph sees a sneaker, and sees that a little boy dropped to the bottom of a well, and his last thought was about ice cream, that was just too creepy for me.

theBeamisHome
08-22-2008, 07:39 AM
nooooooooo!!!!! awwww.... spoiler please... i'm reading Insomnia :cry:

Girlystevedave
08-25-2008, 05:38 AM
I'm scared that this feeling/desire of really wanting to run away never leaves my soul. :unsure:

alinda
08-25-2008, 11:33 AM
The scene in Alien where the cat jumps out instead of the Alien you were expecting.
see that jumps out at you stuff really does it !!:cyclops:

The Lady of Shadows
08-31-2008, 08:21 PM
i'm just scared. and i won't know for awhile if i should be this scared. and being scared sucks. and i'm too fucking tired to be this scared. it takes a lot of energy, you know. :scared:

LadyHitchhiker
01-06-2009, 03:37 PM
I am most scared that there is no afterlife.

Iwritecode
01-07-2009, 12:09 PM
In a book that scared me

In Insomnia when Ralph and Lois are in Atropos's lair, and there looking at all of his possesions, and they instantly know how the person died. And Ralph sees a sneaker, and sees that a little boy dropped to the bottom of a well, and his last thought was about ice cream, that was just too creepy for me.

I remember reading something similiar in The Stand.

My biggest fear right now is not being able to find a new job before my current one goes away and losing nearly everything I've worked for over the past decade.

The Cosmic Geek
01-07-2009, 06:44 PM
I was reading Dracula in high school and it was when Harker crept into Dracula's lair, opened his coffin and was going to kill him with the shovel. I was so into this scene and so absorbed in it that, when I read Dracula suddenly opens his eyes my phone rang at that exact same moment and I jumped off my bed in a good scare.

Was a great moment.

college_ewok
01-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Im scared of being kidnapped and them burying me alive, i have dreams where i cant scream and I'm tied up and their shovling dirt on top of me, and I just know it want be long and I want be able to breath.

obscurejude
01-07-2009, 06:54 PM
:scared:

The Cosmic Geek
01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Drowning. I sometimes dream I am drowning and when I wake up I'm holding my breath. Weird when that happens.

obscurejude
01-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Drowning. I sometimes dream I am drowning and when I wake up I'm holding my breath. Weird when that happens.

Same here. Do you think its related to sleep apnia*?

*I just realized I've never seen this in print and have no idea how to spell it. :lol:

Brice
01-08-2009, 10:25 AM
It's apnea, Ryan.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Sleep-Apnea-1336/2008/9/Dreaming-Drowning.htm

http://www.sleeps.com/forums/dream-interpretation/11871.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070722130136AAv3qtA

http://www.apneasupport.org/ntopic17488.html

http://www.apneasupport.org/mobile/thread.php?topic_id=425

There definitely appears to be a correlation of some sort there. This is just from a cursory search though.

obscurejude
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
It's apnea, Ryan.

Much obliged my friend. :couple:

Brice
01-08-2009, 10:32 AM
No problem! Look up there's more. :)

obscurejude
01-08-2009, 10:34 AM
It's apnea, Ryan.

There definitely appears to be a correlation of some sort there. This is just from a cursory search though.

Further obliged my friend. And no, I will not let you examine me the next time we hang out. :lol:

The Cosmic Geek
01-08-2009, 11:14 AM

Same here. Do you think its related to sleep apnia*?

*I just realized I've never seen this in print and have no idea how to spell it. :lol:

I honestly don't know. It hasn't happened in a long time, but it is really strange when it does happen.

The Lady of Shadows
01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
It's apnea, Ryan.

<snip>

Further obliged my friend. And no, I will not let you examine me the next time we hang out. :lol:

oh the things i could say here. . . . :evil:

all i will say is that i could think of a few people who would volunteer to examine you ryan. and they probably wouldn't charge you a cent. :couple:

i'm sure all brice would charge is your soul. :P

Brice
01-08-2009, 11:21 AM
It's apnea, Ryan.

:lol: As much as I like you, Ryan I think I'll leave the examining to the obscurejude fan club.

It's apnea, Ryan.

<snip>

all i will say is that i could think of a few people who would volunteer to examine you ryan. and they probably wouldn't charge you a cent. :couple:

i'm sure all brice would charge is your soul. :P

^^^^^

obscurejude
01-08-2009, 12:10 PM
:rofl:

college_ewok
01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
You Still On Ryan?

obscurejude
01-08-2009, 12:50 PM

P

:blush:
:cool:

obscurejude
01-08-2009, 12:50 PM
You Still On Ryan?

I am now. What's up Erin?

Tiffany
01-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I've had a number of friends die over the past 10 years or so. Almost all of the deaths were car accidents or drunk driving or overdoses...that kind of thing. And the same goes for a few cousins.
A few years back, a good friend of mine died very suddenly of a serious heart attack at the age of 34. Since then, my biggest fear is that Justin will suddenly die.

Lily-sai
04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
What I'm definitely most scared of, is becoming blind. Ack! You see, I'm profoundly deaf, been since I was born. I use sign language and I live a perfectly normal life. But if I would become blind.. I simply wouldn't have a will to live anymore. Two main senses gone, and having to be completely dependent of other people's help. I know, you can get used to it, but.. Just no, no, no. It would be like being buried alive. Just IMO. Or maybe I'm just a weak person. =P