PDA

View Full Version : Book Collection: Gunkslinger

Gunkslinger
01-06-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm going to start with my Caniglia original art and then work my way to remarques and then to my small press lettered editions.

I don't collect limited/lettered King anymore, but I still read King and enjoy the author. I once had a high end King collection, a lettered Firestarter and all the other lettered and limited King editions, but that is long ago and faraway.

Now I just collect art and publishers, my collecting habits have changed and evolved.

Gunkslinger
01-06-2009, 09:43 AM
This is the first painting I acquired from Caniglia, it is called "With a Voice So Strong". This was the cover art to Tim Lebbon's "Berserk" published by Necessary Evil Press. It is a mix of acrylics, watercolor and pencil on paper.

Gunkslinger
01-06-2009, 10:02 AM
This is "Sole Mort: Return of the Sun" Cover art for "In the Midnight Museum" by Gary Braubeck and published by NEP. This is one of my favorite Caniglia paintings. Very powerful. Oil on canvas.

Gunkslinger
01-06-2009, 10:06 AM
This is Caniglia's "Death Descends the Night Sky", the cover art for Brian Keene's "Take the Long Way Home", published by NEP. My son calls this "The Zombie Painting". Oil on canvas.

Gunkslinger
01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
This is "Welcome to Paradise" by Caniglia. I love this one because I once managed an apple orchard and I also love the story behind each variety of apple. Oil on canvas.

Gunkslinger
01-06-2009, 10:22 AM
This is Caniglia's "The Crown Rose" the cover art for the book of the same title by Fiona Avery. Oil on canvas.

turtlex
01-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Wow, and not to be ignoring the art, which is wonderful, but I love your frame selection! The frames look beautiful.

Gunkslinger
01-06-2009, 10:31 AM
This is Caniglia's "Finally I Am No One" the cover art for NEP's "The Familiar Stranger" by Brett McBean. Oil on paper.

Guess where I got my avatar from?

Gunkslinger
01-06-2009, 10:34 AM
This is Caniglia's "Pieta: When a Dream Dies." Cover art for "The Abandoned" by Douglas Clegg. Watercolor on paper.

Gunkslinger
01-06-2009, 10:54 AM
This is: Pieta: When a Dream Dies. Close Up.

This effect struck me.

Gunkslinger
01-06-2009, 10:56 AM
More later.........

Cutter
01-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Great stuff Mike, Caniglia is really one heck of a painter.

And nice to see you posting again! :)

Patrick
01-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes, great to see you again, Gunk.

Your art collection, as posted so far, is great. I especially like "Welcome to Paradise." "Pieta" is really sad, man.

Do you have these hanging throughout your home, or are they mostly in one room or area?

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 03:51 AM

I like your avatar Geoff. That's from Neverland right?

That happens to be Caniglia's son Caravaggio.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 03:57 AM
Yes, great to see you again, Gunk.

Your art collection, as posted so far, is great. I especially like "Welcome to Paradise." "Pieta" is really sad, man.

Do you have these hanging throughout your home, or are they mostly in one room or area?

One room. I have my private collectors room. We have a four bedroom house and only two kids so I got the extra bedroom.

"Welcome to Paradise" is huge, 44" by 30" framed. Simple, but thought provoking. The shading is very nice, pictures don't do it justice.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 05:34 AM
This is Caniglia's "Hold On World" cover art for Tim Waggoner's book, "Like Death" Oil on paper.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 05:37 AM
This is Caniglia's "Te Morituri, For Those About to Die" I won this from the Bemis Museum auction in Omaha, last fall. Oil on canvas.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 05:48 AM
This is probably one of the nicest pieces of art I have from Caniglia. It's a personal work of art by him called "The Eyes of Pearl" It was done in the style of Johannes Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring". Oil on canvas.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 06:18 AM
These are some inscribed Caniglia prints and artist proofs that he gave to me over the years. These are hanging throughout the house.

Cutter
01-07-2009, 06:27 AM

I like your avatar Geoff. That's from Neverland right?

That happens to be Caniglia's son Caravaggio.

Yep, it's an extra print for Neverland. I love it!

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 07:17 AM
I have a lifetime lettered subscription to Bloodletting Press. Caniglia did remarques for me in the books in which he contributed the artwork. Here's some of them.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Some more Caniglia remarques in BLP lettereds:

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 07:24 AM
These are two Caniglia remarques in two Delirium Books lettered editions, Hexes and Broken Angel. Sir Boomme has the original Caniglia cover art to Hexes, "Mother of the Disappeared"

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 07:27 AM
This is an original sketch that came with the lettered "As Dead As Leaves" this is a preliminary sketch for the painting "The World Has No Colors"

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Caniglia remarque in a first edition of "The Crown Rose" by Fiona Avery.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 08:30 AM
I also have a lifetime letterer subscription to Necessary Evil Press. Caniglia has also done remarques for me in the books that he has contributed the artwork.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 08:34 AM
More Caniglia remarques in NEP lettereds:

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 08:37 AM
More Caniglia remarques in NEP lettereds

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Caniglia etching that came with the lettered "Neverland"

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Original Alan Clark sketch that came with BLP's lettered Siren Promised:

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Author Jeffrey Thomas' remarque in BLP's lettered "Boneland"

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Keith Minnion remarques in NEP's lettered and Greek Lettered edition of James Newman's "The Wicked"

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Alex McVey remarques in BLP's lettered editions of "Apocalypse Green" by Brian Knight and "Tequila's Sunrise" by Brian Keene.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 08:49 AM
That's it for art and remarques. I didn't realize I had that many books with remarques!:thumbsup:

Next I'll post some pictures of the publishers I collect. Some of those books are works of art themselves.

turtlex
01-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Gunkslinger - This is an amazing and impressive collection!

Have you considered uploading the photos into an album in the Gallery here, as many of the other collectors have?

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Gunkslinger - This is an amazing and impressive collection!

Have you considered uploading the photos into an album in the Gallery here, as many of the other collectors have?

No I haven't Turtlex. I'm new to the site, so I'm just figuring my way around. My "big brother" Brice is helping me out now from time to time. I am open to any suggestions!

Thanks,

Mike

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 10:24 AM
This is the first of my small press postings. This past spring, I had the opportunity to purchase a lifetime lettered subscription in a new small press publisher, "Cargo Cult Press".

I bought the lettered sub as only one lettered sub was offered, so I chose letter "A".

This is "The Sound of Drums" by David Niall.

I'm a character in this book. A cajun kid named Caouette, this is my "actual" surname.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 10:36 AM
This is "Population Zero" published by Cargo Cult Press, a book written by Wrath James White and illustrated by Tom Moran, who also lives in CT like myself.

The limited edition does not have a DJ. More and more small press publishers are tending to no DJ and focusing the production value on the book. Here is an example:

turtlex
01-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Mike - The Gallery is really easy to use and it allows the rest of us to see larger versions of the cool stuff you post. You could then also link them to this posting thread as well.

Just a suggestion, is all. I'm sure Brice can help if you want, or I'd be happy to walk you through it. The Gallery link is up above.

I'd also suggest if you have some time - check out the collectors Galleries and see all the cool stuff others have posted as well.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 10:42 AM
I also like the CCP sig page. It lets you know exactly how many editions are out there. Brian told me that this will be the standard.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Mike - The Gallery is really easy to use and it allows the rest of us to see larger versions of the cool stuff you post. You could then also link them to this posting thread as well.

Just a suggestion, is all. I'm sure Brice can help if you want, or I'd be happy to walk you through it. The Gallery link is up above.

I'd also suggest if you have some time - check out the collectors Galleries and see all the cool stuff others have posted as well.

Turtlex,

I'll check out the gallery.

Most of the folks here are my "old" collector friends from TDT.net, we have been sharing collection photos for "donkey's years".

I've been perusing their collections and I see that we all have been evolving in our collecting habits.

The cool thing about collecting is it can change. Keeps it real and keeps it fresh.

Take care my new friend,

Mike

turtlex
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
You have quite the collection, too. I love the stuff I see in the Collectors Gallery, most I never even knew existed before I saw it there. Let me know if I can help at all should you decide to load pictures there... and congrats again on a very impressive collection yourself. :D

Ari_Racing
01-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Amazing collection! :) Congratulations!

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Amazing collection! :) Congratulations!

Hi Ari,

Good to see you again! I see your collecting is going full tilt!

Mike

Ari_Racing
01-07-2009, 11:17 AM
:) Hey Mike!

Thanks! I've been lucky lately and was able to adquire some of the "grails" I had.

Nice to see you around again!

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 11:20 AM
You have quite the collection, too. I love the stuff I see in the Collectors Gallery, most I never even knew existed before I saw it there. Let me know if I can help at all should you decide to load pictures there... and congrats again on a very impressive collection yourself. :D

Turtlex,

Thanks, I will definitely ask if I need an assist. My present collection now is only a mere shadow of what I use to have.

Mike

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 11:30 AM
:) Hey Mike!

Thanks! I've been lucky lately and was able to adquire some of the "grails" I had.

Nice to see you around again!

Nice to be back around!

e_taylor
01-07-2009, 11:52 AM
I like the CCP and BLP editions. I pre-ordered "Remains" and "The Damned" - my first CCP and BLP editions respectfully.

wizardsrainbow
01-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Mike-

Your collection is truly wonderful and impressive.

Did I miss the painting that he did for your son?

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Mike-

Your collection is truly wonderful and impressive.

Did I miss the painting that he did for your son?

I didn't post it because of proprietary reasons. Haha!

I'll post a picture of it soon. That was a very cool birthday gift from Caniglia.

Patrick
01-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Wow, I thought Wiz was the king of remarques, but I sense a challenger to the throne!

I love all the original artwork in your book collection, Mike.

Gunkslinger
01-07-2009, 04:38 PM
This is an original watercolor that Caniglia did for my son, Cameron for his 10th birthday last July. He wanted an "Army Guy" painting, because he saw the art that Caniglia did for Tim Lebbon's "A Whisper of Southern Lights" which was published by Necessary Evil Press. The book was about U.S. soliders in the Pacific theatre during World War II.

Patrick
01-07-2009, 05:16 PM
What a great birthday present!

bast_imret
01-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Excellent stuff Gunk! Those CCP books look really nice.

Gunkslinger
01-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Excellent stuff Gunk! Those CCP books look really nice.

The upcoming CCP books sound even better, the lettered Market Adjustment is going to be incredible. If you get a chance consider it, here's a hint, Charnel House's lettered Last Call by Tim Powers.

http://www.charnelhouse.com/lastcall.html

Gunkslinger
01-08-2009, 07:03 AM

It sure was Patrick.

I'm real good friends with the publisher of Necessary Evil Press and I asked him if I could a lettered copy of "A Whisper of Southern Lights" with the letter designation as my son's full name to go with the painting and he said not a problem. My son is so excited, a budding collector.

That's the best part of collecting, there are some great folks out there.

Hutch
01-08-2009, 08:10 AM
One big difference is that the remarques Wiz has are in Stephen King titles. Thus crowning Wiz the " King " of remarques.

Wow, I thought Wiz was the king of remarques, but I sense a challenger to the throne!

alinda
01-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Very nice collection Mike :D

Patrick
01-08-2009, 01:01 PM
It sure was Patrick.

I'm real good friends with the publisher of Necessary Evil Press and I asked him if I could a lettered copy of "A Whisper of Southern Lights" with the letter designation as my son's full name to go with the painting and he said not a problem. My son is so excited, a budding collector.

That's the best part of collecting, there are some great folks out there.
Very cool story.

And, yes, there certainly are.

Wow, I thought Wiz was the king of remarques, but I sense a challenger to the throne! ...
One big difference is that the remarques Wiz has are in Stephen King titles. Thus crowning Wiz the "King" of remarques.
:lol: I concede your point.

Gunkslinger
01-08-2009, 05:23 PM
One big difference is that the remarques Wiz has are in Stephen King titles. Thus crowning Wiz the " King " of remarques.

Thanks for busting my bubble Dave, I owe you one. Haha!

Mike

Hutch
01-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks for busting my bubble Dave, I owe you one. Haha!

Mike

sorry.. I just thought a bit of nifty word play was in order.

Justin Case
03-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Great stuff Mike!!! Good to see your collecting evolve. Some really amazing art you have my friend!

Jon
03-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Yes, your collecting tastes HAVE evolved Mike.

Ben Eads
11-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Awesome art collection!