PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Br!an
11-26-2014, 04:52 AM
New to the group and not sure where to ask, but I have a question regarding dust jackets. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful.

There is a thread for Collecting Questions (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1283-Stephen-King-Collecting-Questions\). That might be the best place for a general question. There's another thread for Protective Covers. (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?5813-HOW-TO-Protective-Covers-For-Your-Books) The catalog (Wiki) has info on individual books that could help.

jcmanske
11-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Thanks to all for the nice welcome. I've enjoyed reading the posts. Just curious as to when/how you are authorized to post photos, attachments and the like. Appreciate the help. Jeff
Welcome to the site. I have manually changed your status to a "Member". You should be able to PM, post pics, links, etc.
Thank you so much, Randall! I'm very excited about learning more about SK, contributing where I can, and making new friends. Also, I appreciate the kind welcome!

Anubis2347
11-26-2014, 11:27 AM
WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW COMERS!!!

Jon
11-28-2014, 05:16 PM
WELCOME!!

stephenkingcast
12-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Hello, everyone!

I'm so glad I found this page. I'm trying to communicate with as many SK fans as possible, especially the DT ones. This summer, I started a podcast that you might be interested in. It's called the Stephen Kingcast (www.stephenkingcast.podbean.com), one man's musings on the works of Stephen King. I'm in the process of reviewing each of King's books in the chronological order of publication. DT fans will be excited to know that with each review, if there's any association with The Dark Tower, I spend some time with the DT connection. I recently reviewed The Gunslinger for a two part review, and I'm really looking forward to heading back into Mid World with The Drawing of the Three.

I've been a huge Stephen King fan since I was 12, and he's been a huge part of my life ever since. I realized that there weren't many Stephen King podcasts, so I created one that I would like to like to listen to. Feel free to give it a listen!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/stephen-kingcast/id908092216?mt=2

Merlin1958
12-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Hello, everyone!

I'm so glad I found this page. I'm trying to communicate with as many SK fans as possible, especially the DT ones. This summer, I started a podcast that you might be interested in. It's called the Stephen Kingcast (www.stephenkingcast.podbean.com), one man's musings on the works of Stephen King. I'm in the process of reviewing each of King's books in the chronological order of publication. DT fans will be excited to know that with each review, if there's any association with The Dark Tower, I spend some time with the DT connection. I recently reviewed The Gunslinger for a two part review, and I'm really looking forward to heading back into Mid World with The Drawing of the Three.

I've been a huge Stephen King fan since I was 12, and he's been a huge part of my life ever since. I realized that there weren't many Stephen King podcasts, so I created one that I would like to like to listen to. Feel free to give it a listen!

Welcome to the site!! I think you will like it here, my friend!! When you have 5 posts, full member privileges are afforded you. Take a look around!!!

stephenkingcast
12-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks! Looking forward to looking around!

Anubis2347
12-07-2014, 08:11 PM
WELCOME!!!

Merlin1958
12-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Sadly, I am a bit of an old fart and cannot access your podcast. Regardless, welcome to the site and join in the discussions with some of us "old cronies", who read TDT whilst it was published as I did.

stephenkingcast
12-08-2014, 05:52 AM
Try either of these:

Www.stephenkingcast.podbean.com

Jeffbx
12-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Hi all - my account is not new, but I haven't visited here for quite some time. So.... glad to be back, I guess!

Randall Flagg
12-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Welcome back!

jhanic
12-11-2014, 12:38 PM
As RF said, welcome back!

John

SystemCrashOverRide
12-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Hi all - my account is not new, but I haven't visited here for quite some time. So.... glad to be back, I guess!

Glad to see you!

Anubis2347
12-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Welcome back!

Jon
12-11-2014, 07:53 PM
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Merlin1958
12-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Welcome!!!!

stephenkingcast
12-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Welcome back!

jsmcmullen92
12-22-2014, 12:05 PM
How did you discover the Dark Tower?
Have all the books and needed a place to research

Who is your favorite charcter?
Eddie

What is your favorite book?
Wizard and Glass

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Austin Texas

do you have a nickname?
Josh

how did you find this site?
Google

jhanic
12-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Welcome, Josh! Please feel free to post often.

John

Merlin1958
12-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Welcome!!!!!

racerx45
12-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Welcome Josh, air cooled or water cooled?

Merlin1958
12-22-2014, 01:58 PM

Eddie

Wizard and Glass

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Austin Texas

do you have a nickname?
Josh

Google

A lot of us were just in, Austin. Were you in line for the "Revival" signing with Delores, Gabriel, Terry and I?????

jsmcmullen92
12-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Air cooled for sure. I have a 69 as my other money snatcher from books :)

jsmcmullen92
12-22-2014, 05:40 PM

Eddie

Wizard and Glass

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Austin Texas

do you have a nickname?
Josh

Google

A lot of us were just in, Austin. Were you in line for the "Revival" signing with Delores, Gabriel, Terry and I?????

YEAH!!! Skipped work and stood in line for 3 hours for that ticket :) Once I got up to the table he was too preoccupied with a lady that would not leave the room he skipped talking to the lady front of me and me... Oh well.

racerx45
12-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Cool I have a '64 Squareback and a '63 Type 3 Ghia

jsmcmullen92
12-22-2014, 05:50 PM

You have a T34!?!?! Once I finish the 69' I'm getting a 59 SC and the girlfriend wants me to build her a 64 ghia...

racerx45
12-22-2014, 11:11 PM

You have a T34!?!?! Once I finish the 69' I'm getting a 59 SC and the girlfriend wants me to build her a 64 ghia...

Yep a T34. There is a photo in the post linked Here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18089-So-What-Else-Do-You-Do&p=834084&viewfull=1#post834084)

jsmcmullen92
12-23-2014, 06:43 AM

Yep a T34. There is a photo in the post linked Here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18089-So-What-Else-Do-You-Do&p=834084&viewfull=1#post834084)

If ever you sell that car I call 1st dibs! there is a guy here with a Purple 64' that I want. Still not sure what color I will paint mine but I am leaning towards L360 Sea Blue

"Olan"
12-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Hi
I am new and I just finished reading the DT series. I loved every word. I wanted to wait to join until after reading all the books to assure that I did not stumble upon a spoiler. Although now I know the posters are good at warning of their existence.

So here are my answers...

How did you discover the Dark Tower? By being a King fan.

Who is your favorite character?
Oy! Another fav is Blaine the mono.

Hard to pick one. The Wastelands or the Gunslinger.

How old are you? 40

Where are you from? Born in Youngstown Ohio. Living in St Petersburg FLA

do you have a nickname? Zaza

how did you find this site? Scouring the interwebs for Dark Tower related sites.

I am crazy about the Dark Tower story so I have been collecting all of the comics. I have all but about 10 (from the Battle of Tull and the Way Station).

Well that's all folks.
Z

Br!an
12-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Hi
I am new and I just finished reading the DT series. I loved every word. I wanted to wait to join until after reading all the books to assure that I did not stumble upon a spoiler. Although now I know the posters are good at warning of their existence.

So here are my answers...

How did you discover the Dark Tower? By being a King fan.

Oy! Another fav is Blaine the mono.

Hard to pick one. The Wastelands or the Gunslinger.

How old are you? 40

Where are you from? Born in Youngstown Ohio. Living in St Petersburg FLA

do you have a nickname? Zaza

how did you find this site? Scouring the interwebs for Dark Tower related sites.

I am crazy about the Dark Tower story so I have been collecting all of the comics. I have all but about 10 (from the Battle of Tull and the Way Station).

Well that's all folks.
Z

Welcome, from the other coast.

jhanic
12-24-2014, 05:04 AM
Welcome, Zaza! You've found the best King site on the web.

John

Girlystevedave
12-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Welcome, Olan. You're definitely in the best place to discuss all things Stephen King. :)

Jon
12-25-2014, 06:17 PM
WELCOME!!

Merlin1958
12-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Welcome and a Happy Holiday to all!!!

Jon
12-25-2014, 06:43 PM
So this is some sort of holiday.
No wonder there was no one at the bank when I broke in to rob it.

goheat
12-26-2014, 05:44 AM
Welcome, Olan (Zaza), from another Florida resident! I an a true Floridian, now living in Vero Beach (originally born in Ft. Lauderdale, but lost my mind and lived in Indiana for the past 15 years before just moving back). This is a great site for learning and fellowship! :thumbsup:

ke7285
12-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Hello all been member about 1 1/2 yr's, lurking for several yrs before, had thought I posted here but didn't must of been other site.
How did you discover the Dark Tower? I bought my 1st/1st Gunslinger at a bookstore in Portland,Me early 1984 for $20 read once and still own. Wishing I'd bought the $60 book!!!!

Who is your favorite charcter? Roland

What is your favorite book? Wizard and Glass

How old are you? 53

Where are you from? Born and raised Detroit,Mi. Currently live in the horse country of Metamora, Mi 50 miles north of Detroit

do you have a nickname? maybe!!!

how did you find this site? search engine

Kevin

"Olan"
12-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Thanks Merlin, Jhanic, girlystevedave, goheat and others.

I look forward to exploring this site and learning more about the Dark Tower multiverse...

Oh hey I thought I would mention it but I am not going to get my hopes up. I live close to Bradenton FLA and I am trying to find one or two tickets to see Mr King at his upcoming event. If by some miracle someone has one for sale please let me know.
Thanks again.

jhanic
12-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Welcome, Kevin! This is the best SK site on the web! Please post often!

John

Randall Flagg
12-28-2014, 05:55 AM
Thanks Merlin, Jhanic, girlystevedave, goheat and others.

I look forward to exploring this site and learning more about the Dark Tower multiverse...

Oh hey I thought I would mention it but I am not going to get my hopes up. I live close to Bradenton FLA and I am trying to find one or two tickets to see Mr King at his upcoming event. If by some miracle someone has one for sale please let me know.
Thanks again.
Post #6913:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6468-Collectible-Classifieds&p=890531#post890531

Merlin1958
12-28-2014, 09:01 AM
RF, beat me to it. Sharkie69 is your man for a ticket!!

"Olan"
12-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Wow thanks for the info!!

Jon
12-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Welcome Folks!

jake_and_oy
12-30-2014, 05:54 PM

When I was in middle school I bought The Gunslinger but never finished The Drawing of the Three. I revisited the series last year just because I guess. I keep on choosing professions that require a lot of certification and it has become a habit to read Stephen King while I am studying for a big test and after reading The Stand and IT The Dark Tower was next.

I guess, like everyone else, Roland. Although I like Cuthbert an awful lot.

While I was reading Wizard and Glass I kept thinking "Can we please get back to the quest" but now when I think back on it is probably my favorite.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Western Kentucky

do you have a nickname?

[/B]

:dance:[/QUOTE]

Merlin1958
12-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Welcome!!!!

jhanic
12-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Welcome, Jake_and_Oy! You've found the best SK site on the web!

John

Merlin1958
12-30-2014, 06:14 PM

John

Yes!!! Along with one supremely crabby motherfucker who only collects "Proofs". What the fuck is that all about? LOL LOL LOL J/K

John, is the "proof" man!!! And not quite as "crabby" as he would have you believe!!! LOL

jake_and_oy
12-30-2014, 06:16 PM

John

Yes!!! Along with one supremely crabby motherfucker who only collects "Proofs". What the fuck is that all about? LOL LOL LOL J/K

John, is the "proof" man!!! And not quite as "crabby" as he would have you believe!!! LOL

Stupid question (sorry): what exactly are proofs?

Merlin1958
12-30-2014, 06:22 PM

John

"Proofs" are the copies issued before the actual book is released for publication. Read on within the site, young grasshopper!!

jhanic
12-30-2014, 06:22 PM

John

A proof is a production that a publisher issues before the actual trade edition is put out. Here's the link to my collection:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6011-Book-Collection-jhanic-proofs

We also have a thread concerning proofs in Calvin's Corner:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?443-Stephen-King-Proofs

And an entire forum devoted to them:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?188-Stephen-King-Manuscripts-Proofs-and-ARC-s

John

jake_and_oy
12-30-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the info!

goheat
12-31-2014, 05:37 AM
Welcome to the site, jake_and_oy! This is a wonderful resource with helpful and entertaining members! If you have questions, they are always willing to help. :thumbsup:

Br!an
12-31-2014, 05:50 AM

That wasn't stupid at all.

Most people don't know what a proof is.

Now you do.

Girlystevedave
12-31-2014, 06:10 AM
do you have a nickname? maybe!!!

Are you saying that you may have a nickname or that your nickname is "maybe"? :lol:
Either way, welcome to the site!

When I was in middle school I bought The Gunslinger but never finished The Drawing of the Three. I revisited the series last year just because I guess. I keep on choosing professions that require a lot of certification and it has become a habit to read Stephen King while I am studying for a big test and after reading The Stand and IT The Dark Tower was next.

I guess, like everyone else, Roland. Although I like Cuthbert an awful lot.

Hey, having a habit of reading King is the best kind of habit, in my opinion. :thumbsup:
Also, yes to Cuthbert. To be honest, I think Cuthbert was and is the only reason behind my wanting to read The Dark Tower comics. He is just such an instantly likable character, that I just want more and more of him. But, since this isn't a Cuthbert discussion thread, I'll get to the point and say Welcome to the site!

Norris Ridgewick
12-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Hello, all. I am called Brett, so I am. Glad to be a part of your community, thankee-sai.

I had been reading King ever since I started getting into full-length novels as a kid. I frequently considered starting the DT series, but always stayed away from it because I had heard that it was heavy on the fantasy, and that whole genre was of no interest to me. Eventually, the final three books were all released and I saw how big of a deal that was, so I said "what the hell" and decided to give it a try. Best decision I've ever made.

Most of the time it's Roland. Every time I re-read it, though, other characters rise and fall on my list.

Book 7: The Dark Tower. By far. They're all great, of course, but book 7 is my favorite.

How old are you?

29. I'll be 30 in April.

Where are you from?

Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A. Currently live in Deerfield, WI.

do you have a nickname?

No. But I often use "Sigglecow" as a self-assigned nickname. It's the name of my one-man band.

Every time I have read the series, I always read the revised version of "The Gunslinger." I saw that my local library had an original copy (somehow) and so I decided to start my journey again this morning, but with the original version of the first book. I finished that book and was curious to know all the differences. Some of them I remembered (19, manni, alain) but I recalled having seen a side-by-side comparison once, back in the day. So I googled "gunslinger differences original version revised" and a post someone made on this forum came up. I read the differences, and immediately signed up for this. So between these forums, and my pro wrestling forums, I am now going to be even less productive than before, haha.

Randall Flagg
12-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the site. Poke around and have fun.

jhanic
12-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Welcome, Brett! Enjoy!

John

mkb.redux
01-03-2015, 05:06 AM
Not a new member; several days back made an update to my profile (mkberger) changing my email address, and from that point haven't been able to post. Some further tweaks, a couple of emails to the Contact Us link, nothing. So figured that it was easier to try a fresh start, and that worked.

So: back again, and will try not to mess around with things too much!

Jon
01-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Welcome. folks!!

Merlin1958
01-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Welcome Everyone!!!

whichwilson
01-19-2015, 07:51 PM
-In high school I went through a big Western phase. Around the same time the first LOTR film came out. I saw The Gunslinger on the shelf at Borders and instantly bought it.

-Roland

-Wizard and Glass
So far at least. I still have books six and seven to get through.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
-St. Louis

do you have a nickname?
-Not to my knowledge.

-GoogleFu. I was looking for a good resource to ask a Dark Tower question. Now I await moderator approval.

racerx45
01-19-2015, 10:18 PM
welcome

goheat
01-20-2015, 07:24 AM
Welcome to the Tower!

jhanic
01-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Welcome, whichwilson! You don't have to wait for a moderator's approval to ask a question.

John

Adreena
01-21-2015, 03:12 PM
A friend suggest I read it. I haven't finished the series I'm actually on Song of Susannah.

Roland and Cuthbert.

The Gunslinger (So far)

How old are you?
How did you find this site?
I was actually looking for Neil Gaiman stuff and stumbled upon this.

jhanic
01-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Welcome, Adreena! Please feel free to post often!

John

goheat
01-22-2015, 05:51 AM
Welcome, Adreena! You will find this site to be a very pleasant experience! 8)

Girlystevedave
01-22-2015, 08:21 AM
Welcome Adreena! Glad you stumbled onto the site.

Whichwilson: I had to come in here and say that your av is awesome. :lol:

Jon
01-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Hello to you all!

Zurov
01-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Hey everyone!
How did I discover TDT?
I give wolves of the calla when I was in middle school but had trouble getting into it. A few years later I picked up the gunslinger by chance and was hooked instantly. I have read through the entire series 3 times and am about to finish my 4th read through (currently deployed to Afghanistan so may as well read in my down time lol).

Who is my favorite character?
Its very hard to choose but I'd have to say Rolamd, Jake and of course Oy!

My favorite book would have to be The Dark Tower, it is wonderful tof see how everything is wrapped up, as well as some major appearances from other Stephen King books.

How old am I?
22 years old

How did I discover this site?
Ka

jhanic
01-25-2015, 12:37 PM
Welcome, Zurov! Keep your head down!

John

AstroDad
01-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Hi all. Long time King reader that fell out of reading while the kids were young and free time was lacking. Recently got back into it and decided to start collecting, which is when I found this site. Looking forward to contributing to the ongoing discussions here!

The Gunslinger was the first king Novel I ever read. Picked it up in the school library in 7th grade or so and was hooked.

Interesting question. No easy answer I think. That is what is so great about this series, the characters are so complex. I have loved and hated all of them at one point or another.

The Gunslinger has always been my favorite. Maybe because that is the one that opened the door to this world for me.

How old are you?

40...ugh...still getting used to that bit of nonsense.

Where are you from?

Texas

do you have a nickname?

Not unless you count Dad :)

linked from StephenKingCollector.com

jhanic
01-25-2015, 03:15 PM
Welcome, AstroDad! Please feel free to contribute often!

John

Merlin1958
01-25-2015, 06:26 PM
Welcome all you new folks!!!!

goheat
01-26-2015, 07:03 AM
Welcome, Zurov and AstroDad! Join the merriment :belial:

bugen
01-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Hi all,

I'm a 37 year-old Andrew, and have passed by here a few times here over the last couple of years but didn't really get into forum participation until becoming involved in the Cemetery Dance forums. I've been called bugen enough times to stick.

Google searches brought me here a few times in the past, but it's Tommy from the CD forums who really gave me my first involvement around here when we were discussing some Barker books. Hi Tommy, and thanks again!

Favorite actor... Huh. Maybe Christian Bale? I'd probably have to pick a British actor if not him. I work in the Home Video industry and am a bit disillusioned with Hollywood, but it's my love of this stuff that brought me to L.A. in the first place. Most movies I don't care for much anymore - I've seen behind the curtain a bit too much, but I get extremely excited when I see one that I feel breaks the modern, money-machine mold.

My favorite book has traditionally been Card's Ender's Game, which I know rubs some people the wrong way. I've got tons of alternates I could list, but the truth is this one still rings heavily with me. I re-read it a few months back and still feel it to be the among the-best-of-the-best, author's politics notwithstanding. I reviewed it in the Book Reviews section of the CD forum and tried to address this and found it quite difficult, but I gave it my best shot. Horror is my favorite genre, though.

And I read a lot. As much as I can outside of a full-time, stressful (in my opinion) job. My book collection is OK, but not up to the level of the players found around here and CD.

Good to be here, guys and gals! Look forward to discussing horror, and its King, with everyone.

mkb.redux
01-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Welcome, Andrew. (I still like ENDER'S GAME, too).

bugen
01-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Thank you mkb.redux. Love the Batman avatar! Alex Ross, right? My Batman graphic novel collection is probably better than my book collection. I'm trying to think of some of his stuff that I've got - I haven't revisited them in a while. World's Finest, I think he did Marvels. Very distinctive style.

AstroDad
01-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Welcome Andrew,

As a fellow newbie to the site, I am sure you will find everyone here as welcoming as I have.

mkb.redux
01-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Thank you mkb.redux. Love the Batman avatar! Alex Ross, right? My Batman graphic novel collection is probably better than my book collection. I'm trying to think of some of his stuff that I've got - I haven't revisited them in a while. World's Finest, I think he did Marvels. Very distinctive style.

KINGDOM COME is still at the top of my list, all these years later. We have a couple of his books signed, but this auction catalog has a special place for personal reasons. Sets the bar high for next month's avatar.

Merlin1958
01-29-2015, 06:04 PM
Welcome folks!!!

bugen
01-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Thanks Astrodad and Merlin! And mkb.redux you're right, Kingdom Come was awesome! I liked it much more than Marvels, and have the trade paperbacks of each.

And I don't mean to misrepresent my Batman graphic novel collection as rare limiteds with lots of signatures and such, it's not. I just feel it's a really comprehensive view of the character starting in the 70's about the time Ras was introduced, covering a ton of volumes. I did try to stay hardcover whenever I could. My very first purchase of one was A Death in the Family which I had to save up for, and I was hooked forever. I'd jump at a chance to get any of them signed, really.

Girlystevedave
01-30-2015, 06:40 AM
Welcome, Bugen!
There are threads around here to discuss everything from Stephen King, to comics, to donuts. :lol:

I hope you enjoy the site.

goheat
01-30-2015, 08:09 AM
Welcome to the assembly, bugen!

Jon
01-30-2015, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the Camp.

bugen
01-31-2015, 09:00 AM
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! One more post until I'm a real boy.

Girlystevedave
01-31-2015, 09:12 AM
Haha. :thumbsup:

allasorte
02-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Hello everyone. This is weird. First, my name is Joe. I couldn't figure out my account for weeks and set up a new one. Well, the old one is from 2013 and doesn't have any permission bans, so I am able to introduce myself and apparently send messages too. About me. I am pushing 40, a huge horror and fantasy movie guy and I collect Stephen King. I've been collecting books for about 5 years and selling sometimes too. I find it fascinating how much books can get financially and I think it is a great way to "hide" money as an investment when you think about it. I should have been a movie critic :). It will be nice being able to reply to threads and learn from others. And hopefully I can teach people a thing or two as well. Also, I love to write horror. That is a long story. Joe

mkb.redux
02-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Welcome, Joe.

bugen
02-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Hi Joe, I'm the guy standing right next to the door because I just got here myself. But welcome anyway!

goheat
02-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Welcome (back) Joe!

needfulthings
02-02-2015, 01:34 PM
WELCOME JOE.
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/6342/sogksA.jpg

allasorte
02-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks everyone. Not sure if anyone watched the Super Bowl, but it was wild. And I had to shovel 3 times yesterday. Anyway, anyone order anything on CD with the 50% off coupon ending today? It doesn't work for anything new, but I did get the discount on the gift edition of "Faithful."

needfulthings
02-02-2015, 02:40 PM
Well you just PISSED OFF Merlin1958:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Merlin1958
02-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone. Not sure if anyone watched the Super Bowl, but it was wild. And I had to shovel 3 times yesterday. Anyway, anyone order anything on CD with the 50% off coupon ending today? It doesn't work for anything new, but I did get the discount on the gift edition of "Faithful."

Blasphemy!!!! Burn that book!!!!

Look around a bit and you'll realize my act!!! LOL LOL Can I retract "Rep" points???? LOL

Zurov
02-03-2015, 03:38 AM
Welcome! I'm new myself, so nice to meet you

goheat
02-03-2015, 06:40 AM

I ordered 2 slipcases for signed books I have: Dr. Sleep and Revival. I'd have ordered a Duma Key slipcase too, but they're all gone...

allasorte
02-03-2015, 06:54 PM
I'm kind of OCD with cleaning, collecting, and having a place for everything. So I kind of needed Faithful. Why is it blasphemy? I do hate the Red Sox, but King did write it so it falls under my OCD collecting lol. Then again, baseball has sucked for years now anyway :)

Merlin1958
02-03-2015, 07:11 PM
I'm kind of OCD with cleaning, collecting, and having a place for everything. So I kind of needed Faithful. Why is it blasphemy? I do hate the Red Sox, but King did write it so it falls under my OCD collecting lol. Then again, baseball has sucked for years now anyway :)

I was just fooling with you. My avatar is different for the Haven Fundraiser this year as we are supporting all the contributing artists by changing our avatars to reflect artist remarques, etc. Still, if you look you will see that mine is altered to include the Yankee logo. Normally, my avatar is a pic of a diamond WS ring. I'm rather famous (perhaps "Infamous") as being a huge Yankee fan around these parts. There is actually a youtube video in an old thread of me setting a copy of "Faithful" on fire!!! I don't care that King helped write it. That book will never be touched by these hands (I wore surgical gloves to burn it, lest I get infected) nor appear on my shelves!! LOL Twas all just in good fun. Sorry if you misunderstood my intent. I sometimes forget that not everyone is aware of some of the member proclivities.

Enjoy the site!!!!

allasorte
02-03-2015, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=allasorte;899392]I'm kind of OCD with cleaning, collecting, and having a place for everything. So I kind of needed Faithful. Why is it blasphemy? I do hate the Red Sox, but King did write it so it falls under my OCD collecting lol. Then again, baseball has sucked for years now anyway :)

I was just fooling with you. My avatar is different for the Haven Fundraiser this year as we are supporting all the contributing artists by changing our avatars to reflect artist remarques, etc. Still, if you look you will see that mine is altered to include the Yankee logo. Normally, my avatar is a pic of a diamond WS ring. I'm rather famous (perhaps "Infamous") as being a huge Yankee fan around these parts. There is actually a youtube video in an old thread of me setting a copy of "Faithful" on fire!!! I don't care that King helped write it. That book will never be touched by these hands (I wore surgical gloves to burn it, lest I get infected) nor appear on my shelves!! LOL Twas all just in good fun. Sorry if you misunderstood my intent. I sometimes forget that not everyone is aware of some of the member proclivities.

My favorite Yankees when I was younger were Paul O'Neil and Don Mattingly. I loved Mike Mussina too. But baseball these days with Kershaw making 30 million for 30-35 starts is out of control. What happened to the times where guys played for the love of the game and not paychecks? All sports are like this now, except for hockey. When studs like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Toews get 8-11 million per year is nothing compared to the other sports. How can this honestly continue??? I'll take a cheap 1 million per year for just one season please! I've hated the Red Sox before I was born, but I got 50% off "Faithful" for my collection. I'm OCD weak :(.

Theli
02-06-2015, 01:55 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site here, but some people, T-Dogz_AK47 and Merlin1958, may know me from other forums, like Cemetery Dance. So let's run through the questionnaire from the OP.

Probably saw it in a book store... can't recall. At some point I just knew of it.

Who is your favourite charcter?
From the Dark Tower? I dunno never read any of it. In anything? Let's go with Conan.

What is your favourite book?
Again I don't know if this is in reference to the Dark Tower or not, but having not read it, I'll go with It. Although I just said I hadn't read it, I have read It, and I thoroughly enjoyed it(It).

How old are you?
Right now or when you read this post in two years from now? Two years from now I'll be 30.

Where are you from?
Somewhere cold.

Do you have a nickname?
Yeah... Theli. I also have a real name; Daniel.

I was linked here by T-Dogz for the Haven Foundation Fundraiser from the Cemetery Dance forums. I've been tweeting the auctions on Twitter as they're posted on Ebay. I hope I can jump on one myself before the auctions are through.

Feels like I just had to cross the Bridge of Death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0tCphFMr8

There you have it. Now you know nothing about me. Congrats! See you all on the forums!

T-Dogz_AK47
02-06-2015, 03:05 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site here, but some people, T-Dogz_AK47 and Merlin1958, may know me from other forums, like Cemetery Dance. So let's run through the questionnaire from the OP.

Probably saw it in a book store... can't recall. At some point I just knew of it.

From the Dark Tower? I dunno never read any of it. In anything? Let's go with Conan.

Again I don't know if this is in reference to the Dark Tower or not, but having not read it, I'll go with It. Although I just said I hadn't read it, I have read It, and I thoroughly enjoyed it(It).

How old are you?
Right now or when you read this post in two years from now? Two years from now I'll be 30.

Where are you from?
Somewhere cold.

Do you have a nickname?
Yeah... Theli. I also have a real name; Daniel.

I was linked here by T-Dogz for the Haven Foundation Fundraiser from the Cemetery Dance forums. I've been tweeting the auctions Twitter as they're posted on Ebay. I hope I can jump one myself before the auctions are through.

Feels like I just had to cross the Bridge of Death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0tCphFMr8

There you have it. Now you know nothing about me. Congrats! See you all on the forums!

A huge welcome to the forum, Dan!! It's great to have you here buddy! :thumbsup:

stroppygoblin
02-06-2015, 04:05 AM

I ordered 2 slipcases for signed books I have: Dr. Sleep and Revival. I'd have ordered a Duma Key slipcase too, but they're all gone...

Thats a bitch to find now. I've been after it for a while....

jhanic
02-06-2015, 04:55 AM
Welcome. Daniel! Good to see you over here now!

John

Merlin1958
02-06-2015, 05:08 AM
Welcome, Daniel!!!

Zurov
02-06-2015, 05:36 AM
So I'm curious, what is the haven foundation all about?

Br!an
02-06-2015, 05:44 AM
So I'm curious, what is the haven foundation all about?

From the desk of Stephen King:

In the summer of 1999, I was struck by a careless driver and nearly killed while taking my daily walk. It was ten months before I was able to work productively again. Some years later, a good friend of mine, audio reader Frank Muller, suffered terrible head injuries as a result of a motorcycle accident. He never worked again. My luck was infinitely better than Muller’s, but the two events set me thinking about the uniquely perilous situation of many freelance artists. The majority of mid-list writers, audio readers, and freelancers in the book and publishing industry have little or no financial cushion in the event of a sudden catastrophic accident such as that suffered by Muller and myself. Many aren’t affiliated with any professional associations or guilds that can help them in the event of such reversals. Even those who are affiliated with organizations such as The Authors’ Guild cannot look for much beyond token help over a short period of time.
My response to this has been the creation of The Haven Foundation. Its goals will be fourfold:
First, to establish a compassionate and committed group of board members willing to sift through cases and identify those where the need seems to be the greatest. These “greatest need” cases would be freelance members of the fine arts community – who have found themselves unable to work due to disease or accident. We will also focus on freelancers who lost their homes and work spaces (with freelancers these are often the same) as a result of natural disasters or other catastrophic events.
Second, to help a number of these individuals each year, based on need.
Third, to establish cut-off points for such help. As I have discovered, the decision to cut off aid is an agonizing one, and best made by a group rather than by an individual. I have come to believe, however, that it must be made if help is to be rendered to the many rather than the few.
Fourth, to seek fundraising opportunities so that The Haven Foundation can continue to do this work.
Stephen King

We do our own fund-raiser here every year and donate the proceeds to the Haven Foundation. The fund-raiser includes auctions, and games, and nonsense, and generally a good time is had by all while we help a worthy cause.

T-Dogz_AK47
02-06-2015, 07:12 AM
Very nicely described and explained, Brian! :thumbsup:

Rep points for that, my friend! :smile:

Theli
02-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome! Good to see you here too John!

Girlystevedave
02-06-2015, 08:47 AM
How old are you?

Woah woah woah. I don't appreciate you making me do math this early in the day. :lol:

But, seriously. Welcome to the boards. I hope you enjoy it.
Also, do you have plans of ever getting around to reading The Dark Tower books? :)

goheat
02-06-2015, 08:50 AM
Welcome, Daniel!

Theli
02-06-2015, 08:55 AM
How old are you?

Woah woah woah. I don't appreciate you making me do math this early in the day. :lol:

But, seriously. Welcome to the boards. I hope you enjoy it.
Also, do you have plans of ever getting around to reading The Dark Tower books? :)

Yeah I do, I'm just not a big fan of massive series, a trilogy tends to be the most I can handle. So I find the task quite daunting to begin.

Girlystevedave
02-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I can understand how it's overwhelming. 7 books is a big commitment.
You are definitely in for a treat when you finally decide to read it.

Theli
02-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Here's a question for when I do start: I've heard The Little Sisters of Eluria is a prelude/stand alone novel, can I or should I start with it, or will it ruin The Gunslinger?

Girlystevedave
02-06-2015, 09:06 AM
I didn't read it until after The Gunslinger, so I wouldn't say it's essential to read before starting the series.

jhanic
02-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Here's a question for when I do start: I've heard The Little Sisters of Eluria is a prelude/stand alone novel, can I or should I start with it, or will it ruin The Gunslinger?

I agree. It's not necessary to start with it. If you start to have problems with The Gunslinger, you might want to skip to book 2--The Drawing of the Three--then go back to The Gunslinger. The Gunslinger is VERY different than any of the King books and lots of people have a problem with it.

John

Jon
02-06-2015, 06:05 PM
John says true and I envy your journey.

Welcome!!

Daburts
02-07-2015, 07:55 AM
How did you discover the Dark Tower?Came upon it quite late but makes whole rest of the books more interesting & must read

Who is your favorite charcter? Eddie I like a flawed hero

What is your favorite book? The Stand

How old are you? 39

Where are you from?Bristol,England

do you have a nickname?Mutts

how did you find this site?Google & upon inspection looked very impressive

Merlin1958
02-07-2015, 07:57 AM
How did you discover the Dark Tower?Came upon it quite late but makes whole rest of the books more interesting & must read

Who is your favorite charcter? Eddie I like a flawed hero

What is your favorite book? The Stand

How old are you? 39

Where are you from?Bristol,England

do you have a nickname?Mutts

how did you find this site?Google & upon inspection looked very impressive

Welcome!!!

Girlystevedave
02-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Welcome, Daburts! Hope you find this place impressive enough to make yourself at home. :)

Storyslinger
02-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Dabruts, come and hunker next to the fire. :cowboy:

jsweet
02-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Hi Everyone! New to the board, so ...

How did you discover the Dark Tower? Had a friend in high school who was a King fan and borrowed Gunslinger from him. Was the third King book I ever read (after Pet Sematary & Christine).

Who is your favorite character? Can't pick one!

What is your favorite book? Hearts in Atlantis

How old are you? 38

Where are you from? Minneapolis

do you have a nickname? Nope

how did you find this site? From a link on StephenKingCollector.com.

Merlin1958
02-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Welcome!!!!

bugen
02-08-2015, 06:19 PM
I'm noticing I completely misunderstood the Introduce Yourself question of, 'How did you discover the Dark Tower,' thinking it was the website.

To answer the actual question, my aunt gave me trade paperbacks of the first 3 books when I was a teen since she knew I liked King. I devoured them, then learned SK wasn't going to write the rest of the series, at least not for a long time. Many years later I was surprised to learn not only did he pick it back up, the final installment was just coming out and I'd been under a rock.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And a big 'Hi' to everyone here I know from the CD forums!

Theli
02-08-2015, 07:27 PM
I'm noticing I completely misunderstood the Introduce Yourself question of, 'How did you discover the Dark Tower,' thinking it was the website.

To answer the actual question, my aunt gave me trade paperbacks of the first 3 books when I was a teen since she knew I liked King. I devoured them, then learned SK wasn't going to write the rest of the series, at least not for a long time. Many years later I was surprised to learn not only did he pick it back up, the final installment was just coming out and I'd been under a rock.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And a big 'Hi' to everyone here I know from the CD forums!

Hey buddy! Just joined myself!

Theli
02-08-2015, 07:29 PM

I agree. It's not necessary to start with it. If you start to have problems with The Gunslinger, you might want to skip to book 2--The Drawing of the Three--then go back to The Gunslinger. The Gunslinger is VERY different than any of the King books and lots of people have a problem with it.

John

Oh man, I wouldn't do that. I'm not worried about it being complicated or anything. It's just that I already have Little Sisters available to me and not The Gunslinger. So I figured I might start with it, since I heard it's a prequel, but I don't want it to ruin the surprise or fun of The Gunslinger either.

allasorte
02-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Has anyone here quit smoking by switching to vaping???????

bugen
02-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Buddy of mine did about 2 years ago. He still vapes all the live-long day, but it's MUCH healthier than ciggies.

I quit with Nicorette and swear by the stuff. 16 year smoker now clean for about 5 years. I abused the gum for about 1 week and kept some emergency pieces around for months afterward without using them. For me it was just a matter of before caving to the craving, making a dedication to chew a piece of gum first. I failed a few times, but it was usually because I said 'screw the gum' and went straight for a smoke when a craving hit. Once I was determined to always have the gum first, then light one after if needed, I never smoked again.

Merlin1958
02-12-2015, 05:49 PM

Vaping = E-Cigs? If so, I tried it but had an issue as I smoke Ultra Lights and the E-Cigs are more like a regular Marlboro Cigarette. Could'nt stop coughing!!!

hellnope
02-12-2015, 06:01 PM
hello

Merlin1958
02-12-2015, 06:03 PM
hello

Well, Hi right back at ya!!! Man of few words, I can respect that!!

allasorte
02-12-2015, 06:05 PM

Vaping = E-Cigs? If so, I tried it but had an issue as I smoke Ultra Lights and the E-Cigs are more like a regular Marlboro Cigarette. Could'nt stop coughing!!!

The coughing is because the water and PG (propylene glycol) was what your body wasn't used to. And the e-cigs small cartridges are always 100% PG. The only side affect I have learned thus far is that PG in some people may cause dehydration. And there are different quantities of nicotine ranging from 24-0 milligrams. I was asking since I quit using cigarettes completely with a vaping mod and a tank almost 1 year ago. The PG stuff was dehydrating me and I found a place online that would do mixtures of vegetable glycol and propylene glycol. It was tough quitting, but an 80-20 VG-PG mixture did it for me. Didn't know if there was someone out there on here that was up for talking about this type of thing.

Merlin1958
02-12-2015, 06:24 PM

The coughing is because the water and PG (propylene glycol) was what your body wasn't used to. And the e-cigs small cartridges are always 100% PG. The only side affect I have learned thus far is that PG in some people may cause dehydration. And there are different quantities of nicotine ranging from 24-0 milligrams. I was asking since I quit using cigarettes completely with a vaping mod and a tank almost 1 year ago. The PG stuff was dehydrating me and I found a place online that would do mixtures of vegetable glycol and propylene glycol. It was tough quitting, but an 80-20 VG-PG mixture did it for me. Didn't know if there was someone out there on here that was up for talking about this type of thing.

I really, really tried for four months to quit not too long ago. Then, coupled with the E-Cig issues and my past health issues, I said "Fuck it, if the smoking is what gets me in the end so be it"!!! It's my one and only remaining vice.

Randall Flagg
02-13-2015, 03:03 PM
There are many other threads to discuss "vaping" etc.
This is intended for people to introduce themselves.

franny
02-14-2015, 06:46 AM
Im a new old member lol. Some of you knew me as mia\susannah. I have not been here in a long time. I have missed the tower

Girlystevedave
02-14-2015, 07:03 AM
Welcome back! :)

Girlystevedave
02-14-2015, 07:05 AM
hello

Best introduction ever. :lol:
Welcome.

franny
02-14-2015, 08:05 AM
Thank you :nana:

Storyslinger
02-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Welcome back franny

franny
02-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Thank you storyslinger

Storyslinger
02-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Did you forget your old login?

jhanic
02-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Welcome hellnope and Franny!

John

franny
02-14-2015, 01:40 PM
Yes and i couldnt retrive it so i had to register again. Thank you jhanic

goheat
02-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Welcome hellnope and Franny!

John

I second both Welcomes!

ke7285
02-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Welcome all newcomer's and oldtimer's too!!!

Zurov
02-15-2015, 07:00 AM
I'm a newer member, and just have to say I'm impressed at the amount of activity on this site, wish I aahad known about it the first time I read through the series lol (just finished my 4th read through)

Storyslinger
02-19-2015, 06:01 AM
Glad to have you on board.
Is that a picture of yourself in the avatar? If so, thank you for your service.

Jon
02-20-2015, 07:08 PM
Welcome!

kirin
03-08-2015, 06:16 AM
Hello ! And welcome!!!

JimB
03-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Hello everyone,

I found this site because I was trying to research the possibility of selling what I believe is a limited trade edition of The Dar Tower: The Gunslinger. It is a red or dark umber cloth hardcover with "King" at the top and "Grant" at the bottom. I have kept it in a sealed bag all the time I have owned it. It has two dust covers also kept in the protective cover. It has five color illustrated pages inside it. Unfortunately it is not signed as Steven King does not make it to Idaho much that I know of. Any help with finding out what this book would be potentially worth would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks. JimB

Priest
03-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Hi Jim,
welcome on board!

Your description seams to target a first edition of the gunslinger more then a limited one - but this would also be a nice finding.
Best is to check the wiki

Klick: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?191-Stephen-King-First-Editions

Then, pictures are always the way to go.
If you have some (books will be rated by 3 criteria: condition, condition & condition) there is a place for you to start your questions

Klick: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1987-Current-Market-Value-Experts-assess-yours-or-other-s-collectible-King-item

Happy Research!

JimB
03-09-2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. This link is the one I have. I think mine is in superior condition..

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=15275880094&searchurl=fe%3Don%26ds%3D5%26sortby%3D1%26isbn%3D9 780937986509

Randall Flagg
03-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. This link is the one I have. I think mine is in superior condition..

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=15275880094&searchurl=fe%3Don%26ds%3D5%26sortby%3D1%26isbn%3D9 780937986509
I suggest you take high resolution pics and post it on ebay. Do NOT post it as a BIN. You'll find out what the market will pay.

Priest
03-09-2015, 03:30 PM
As i said, best way would be to go to the areas i posted.
Without pictures its hard to say. And here is the wrong place for price discussions ;D

What you describe can be in the 650 - 850 range but i have seen many "perfect" books, that actually where not.
You will only find a buyer (here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6468-Collectible-Classifieds) when you have pictures.

JimB
03-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Thanks again, Not much of an E-bay seller, So set a ridiculous reserve price and see what people are willing to offer?

Edited... sorry navigating a new site is always confusing to me.. Don't want to step on any toes..

Thanks again...

Priest
03-09-2015, 03:40 PM
would not suggest that, you will get ridiculous offers as the people who are searching for such a book know the value and will think you are trying to scam them.
If you want to be sure that it is sold for a fair value - follow the suggestion randall gave you - market will drive it where it is - a perfect gunslinger will sell in any case for a fair value.

If you have time, and want a certain amount, put some pics in here and then wait if somebody will take it.
The "ridiculous reserve price" strategy will (imho) not help you.

The range for such a book is quite "tight" , and with some pics i guess most of the members here can predict more or less down to 50,- what an eBay auction will have as result.

JimB
03-09-2015, 03:47 PM
Thanks again Priest for all your help.. I will try and take some pictures of it and post them in Collectible Classifieds area.. ;)

JimB

jhanic
03-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Jim, welcome!

I do have to caution you, though, that most members here are wary of buying from a newcomer. We're a pretty good group, but some of us have been burned before by newbies. Post for a while and let us get to know you.

John

JimB
03-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Thanks John.

I am getting the impression that this is a good group. I originally bought this book while I was in the USAF in 1983 from Bud Plant publications for about $30. The book was stored in a ziplock bag for a while and then a friend told me I should get the mylar cover on it.. I am thinking about upgrading my computer system and looking for ways to do that. i7's and all the necessary hardware to upgrade are not cheap. Anyway thanks again for all your help.
JimB

goheat
03-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks John.

I am getting the impression that this is a good group. I originally bought this book while I was in the USAF in 1983 from Bud Plant publications for about $30. The book was stored in a ziplock bag for a while and then a friend told me I should get the mylar cover on it.. I am thinking about upgrading my computer system and looking for ways to do that. i7's and all the necessary hardware to upgrade are not cheap. Anyway thanks again for all your help.
JimB

Wow, Bud Plant Publications! That takes me back to the 1980s and all the comic book-related stuff from Bud!

Jon
03-13-2015, 12:37 AM
Welcome. JimB.

Merlin1958
03-13-2015, 01:35 PM
Welcome, folks!!!

smargavio
03-14-2015, 03:52 AM
Picked up Four Past Midnight in 7th grade, and began buying every King story/novel I could find. Got to it in the course of filling out my collection.

From the Dark Tower? What can I say I love me some villains, so I'd have to go with Flagg.

In the main series, I'd have to say The Waste Lands. Otherwise, Insomnia, hands down.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Birmingham, AL

Do you have a nickname?
Not that I know of :)

Was reminiscing about DT.net when I started rereading the series last month. Happened upon this website.

goheat
03-14-2015, 05:06 AM
Hi and welcome, smargavio! Insomnia is near the top of my favorites list as well!

Girlystevedave
03-14-2015, 05:14 AM
Was reminiscing about DT.net when I started rereading the series last month. Happened upon this website.

I'm not sure whether I should say "Welcome" or "Welcome Back".
Either way, I hope you stick around this cool place. :)

smargavio
03-14-2015, 05:16 AM
Thanks! I think I might stick around here a little longer! ;)

Girlystevedave
03-14-2015, 05:27 AM
Or years from now, when this site is long gone and in its place is another Dark Tower site, you'll pop up and say "I was smargavio on Dt.org, but I didn't stay long". :lol:

smargavio
03-14-2015, 05:31 AM
Ka is a wheel, I'll always pop up eventually haha. I will always have my gift edition of Insomnia signed by Phil Hale to remind me of .net. A friend that went to Palavercon was nice enough for that.

jhanic
03-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Welcome, smargavio!

John

Merlin1958
03-14-2015, 06:01 PM
Welcome new friends!!!

Jon
03-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Welcome!

Welcome back

Welcome back again

Welcome Back Kotter

littlebambi
04-06-2015, 07:05 PM

I've read a other king books and saw the book list in another book and thought I'd give it a go :)

Roland

Probably the first. Gunslinger

How old are you?
22 :)

Where are you from?
Australia!!!!

do you have a nickname?
Potatoe haha

Google

Merlin1958
04-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Welcome!!!

littlebambi
04-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Thank you :)

jhanic
04-07-2015, 05:29 AM
Welcome to the site, littlebambi! Please feel free to post often!

John

goheat
04-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Welcome to the site, littlebambi! Stick around and enjoy all the site has to offer! :dance:

Br!an
04-07-2015, 07:43 AM
:grouphug:

fernandito
04-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Welcome to all new members!

Baradin
04-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Well not a "new" member, but after a hiatus of nearly a decade I have returned to make you all wonder just what the hell is wrong with Canadians :D The Pontiff Hairbag IX is back and with 800% more beard!

fernandito
04-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Whoa, another fellow 07'er! Welcome back to the fold, Baradin.

Girlystevedave
04-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Welcome, Littlebambi! and Welcome back, Baradin!

jhanic
04-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Welcome back, Baradin!

John

Merlin1958
04-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Welcome back!!

Girlystevedave
04-08-2015, 05:04 AM
Welcome back!!

Now the Welcome Back, Kotter song is in my head. :lol:

Jon
04-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Welcome!

and

Welcome back to that same old place you laughed about.

Merlin1958
04-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Welcome back!!

Now the Welcome Back, Kotter song is in my head. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmm3KTa601s

Johnny Alien
04-14-2015, 05:49 AM
Just registered here and thought my first stop should be the introduction thread!

As a King fan when I was much much younger, I bought the first Plume printing as soon as it came out.

Tough one....Blaine?

From the DT series....Wizard and Glass 100%
From King....probably The Stand.

Where are you from?

Central PA

During a recent re-read of the DT series I got into collecting first editions and found this site whilst Googling information.

goheat
04-14-2015, 06:06 AM
Welcome to the site, Johnny! You will find a rich resource of fun here. :biggrin:

fernandito
04-14-2015, 07:52 AM
Welcome, one and all!

jhanic
04-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Welcome, Johnny! Please feel free to post often!

John

Merlin1958
04-14-2015, 11:49 AM
Welcome!!!!

mvbma
04-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Hello, everyone!!

Let's start:

It was unexpected. Had a sale into a website where I always bought my books and there was the 7 books... And they were my first Stephen King's book.

"eddie dean"

"The Drawing of the Three"

How old are you?

Where are you from?

I'm from Brazil

do you have a nickname?

I hope/guess no :rolleyes3:

I was searching for a "Dark Tower forum", and here I'm!

jhanic
04-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Welcome, mvbma!

You've found the best Stephen King/Dark Tower site on the web!

Please feel free to post often!

John

Merlin1958
04-14-2015, 06:47 PM
Welcome!!!!

Girlystevedave
04-15-2015, 05:31 AM

It was unexpected. Had a sale into a website where I always bought my books and there was the 7 books... And they were my first Stephen King's book.

Nice! What a great way to be introduced to Stephen King. :thumbsup:

Have you read any of his other works since reading The Dark Tower?

Also...Welcome to the site! :)

mvbma
04-15-2015, 05:41 AM
Nice! What a great way to be introduced to Stephen King. :thumbsup:

Have you read any of his other works since reading The Dark Tower?

Also...Welcome to the site! :)

I read "The Green Mile", "Misery", "Desperation", "Love", "Christine", "Carrie", "The Eyes of the dragon", "On Writing", "The shining", "Doctor Sleep", and I'm almost finishing "The Regulators" and "Different seasons".

Thanks to all
:rock:

Girlystevedave
04-15-2015, 05:43 AM
I know this is off topic, but could someone please edit the very first post in this thread so that when new members respond, it doesn't ask "Who is your favorite charcter?" ??
Every time I see it, it drives me crazy. :lol:

Johnny Alien
04-15-2015, 05:52 AM
I know this is off topic, but could someone please edit the very first post in this thread so that when new members respond, it doesn't ask "Who is your favorite charcter?" ??
Every time I see it, it drives me crazy. :lol:

I corrected it when I copied it over.

goheat
04-15-2015, 06:57 AM
Welcome and enjoy all the site has to offer, mvbma!

Ross
04-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Hey. My name is Ross.
How did you discover the Dark Tower Series? - I have been reading Stephen King books since I was a kid. I always wanted to read the Dark Tower but wanted to wait until I could read them all in succession. I started withe the Gunslinger about 6 months ago and am just about to finish Wizard and Glass

Favourite Character - Well, aside from the obvious answer of Roland, I would have to say as of right now (having not finished the series yet), my favourite would be Eddie Dean.

Favourite Book - Although I am not finished it yet (about 100 pages left), I have to say that Wizard and Glass is one of the best books I have ever read. Not sure if its the love story (which I am not usually fan of) but I cannot stop thinking about the book and am eagerly waiting to get home from work so I can finish it tonight.

I am 33 and I live in Norther, Ontario, Canada. No nicknames..

goheat
04-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Welcome, Ross! Enjoy all the site and people have to offer, and don't hesitate to post early and often!

jhanic
04-17-2015, 01:01 PM
Hi Ross! welcome to the site! You have quite an adventure waiting for you in the remaining books of the series!

John

Jon
04-17-2015, 07:17 PM
Welcome Johnny and Ross!!

( Sounds like a cheap wine.."Johnny and Ross.")

Don't worry about me Johnny and Ross; I am just a barnacle around here that makes the occasional joke. It is rare that I am to be taken seriously. I relish the role. (Now if I just had some mustard.)
I didn't say the jokes were good.

Merlin1958
04-17-2015, 08:17 PM
Welcome Johnny and Ross!!

( Sounds like a cheap wine.."Johnny and Ross.")

Don't worry about me Johnny and Ross; I am just a barnacle around here that makes the occasional joke. It is rare that I am to be taken seriously. I relish the role. (Now if I just had some mustard.)
I didn't say the jokes were good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpaOy8b8X6A

Jon
04-17-2015, 08:38 PM
...and I have a band!!!

Ross
04-20-2015, 05:51 AM
I am so looking forward to reading on. I have been searching for the next book to read around my town but have yet to find it. Dont have the cash to order it online just yet but am hoping someone will have one in my community that will lend it to me until I can buy the rest of them. Until then I have started the Gunslinger again and will read on until I get my hands on the next installment. I also find it almost Ka like that as I am hitting the half way point in my reading it is being announced that the movie/tv series is being made. Having been both impressed and dissapointed with King's adaptations I find myself quite nervous about how this will turn out. I sure hope they do a good job of it.

Merlin1958
04-20-2015, 11:20 AM
I am so looking forward to reading on. I have been searching for the next book to read around my town but have yet to find it. Dont have the cash to order it online just yet but am hoping someone will have one in my community that will lend it to me until I can buy the rest of them. Until then I have started the Gunslinger again and will read on until I get my hands on the next installment. I also find it almost Ka like that as I am hitting the half way point in my reading it is being announced that the movie/tv series is being made. Having been both impressed and dissapointed with King's adaptations I find myself quite nervous about how this will turn out. I sure hope they do a good job of it.

When you get to 5 posts you will have full member privileges. In the meantime, where do you live? I think I have a full set of SC reading copies I lend around. They can be sent to you if you like, free of charge in the USA. PM me when you get to 5 posts.

Ross
04-20-2015, 11:36 AM
Seriously Merlin, that is awesome of you. I actually posted a message on our local facebook buy/sell/trade page looking for #5,#6, and #8. And got a reply from a lady in town here that has #8 that I can borrow. I am hoping that in the time it takes me to read Wind through the Keyhole I will have enough cash to buy the last 2 I need. If not I will take you up the the offer. Unfortunately I live in Canada.. Northern Ontario, in a small mining town that is about 500 KM from the nearest city so shipping books to me would be costly and might not be worth it for either of us. I am hopeful I will get the rest of them soon though. I have no intention of stopping reading the series until I finish it.

Merlin1958
04-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Seriously Merlin, that is awesome of you. I actually posted a message on our local facebook buy/sell/trade page looking for #5,#6, and #8. And got a reply from a lady in town here that has #8 that I can borrow. I am hoping that in the time it takes me to read Wind through the Keyhole I will have enough cash to buy the last 2 I need. If not I will take you up the the offer. Unfortunately I live in Canada.. Northern Ontario, in a small mining town that is about 500 KM from the nearest city so shipping books to me would be costly and might not be worth it for either of us. I am hopeful I will get the rest of them soon though. I have no intention of stopping reading the series until I finish it.

Okay, you let me know in the future. I'm sure we could work something out. Reading is Fun-damental!!! LOL

chucknbuck
04-24-2015, 06:19 AM
Chucknbuck is the name.

How did you discover the Dark Tower? A friend has recommended the series to me over the years, in large part due to our shared interest in SK novels, in particular The Stand and The Talisman. I shied away from it because I didn't think I'd like the western theme, but I found myself stranded at a day long event for my kid, and needed something to read, so I gave the gunslinger a try on the kindle app. I read the first three books in a very gradual manner, then book four really grabbed me, and I cruised through the rest of the series in a blurry addictive sequence. I really wish there was more to come (I hold out hope there will be).

Who is your favorite character? Roland for sure. I empathize with his loss and suffering, although I see that he brings a lot of misery to people in his life. My other faves are Cuthbert and Susan Delgado (I think i'm in the minority in the second choice). I liked the drawn katet as well, each member in it's own way.

What is your favorite book? The wizard and glass. I think this backstory is the really exciting, especially considering it was a flashback.

How old are you? 45

Where are you from? MN

do you have a nickname? No

how did you find this site? Having completed the series, I needed somewhere to explore the story further. Websearch for a dark tower forum.

Girlystevedave
04-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Welcome, chucknbuck!
There's tons of places on here to discuss the series (among other things). I hope you enjoy the site. :)

chucknbuck
04-24-2015, 07:22 AM
Thank you Girlystevedave. I hope the forum can help me gain some closure on the series, as well as relive it.

Girlystevedave
04-24-2015, 07:31 AM
Heck yeah! That's the main reason I found myself on this forum so many years ago - I had just finished the series and just had to find some way to talk about it with other people who had lived it as well. Seven novels is life changing, and it's hard to just close that last book and move on with your life (especially with that ending).
There's a really great community here, and I hope you find yourself at home.

goheat
04-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Welcome, chucknbuck! You will find a plethora of info here on The Dark Tower series and all the other King stuff (as well as some other writers!) Join the fun!!!

jhanic
04-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Welcome, chucknbuck! You mention seven books in the DT series, but don't forget about The Wind Through the Keyhole. Some consider it to be #4.5, others book 8. Either way, it's great!

John

chucknbuck
04-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks jhanic. I read it about a week ago, and enjoyed it, although for me it didn't feel like it felt right between IV and V. I just told a friend who is on III to read it after VII, although I know lots of other people like to read it after IV. Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to have it. I hope for more interludes in the DT universe. I'll take a prequel about Rolands ancestors.

I wonder if a true VIII, something that accelerates to the VII version of the next loop or something, in order to be compatible with the planned movies/series, as I think the end of VII as is may not please non-initiated audiences.

Merlin1958
04-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Welcome New Members!!!!

Jon
04-24-2015, 08:03 PM
WELCOME to ALL!

Thing Fish
05-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Hi, my name is Eric and I'm a Towerholic. I'm 47, and was really into Stephen King as a kid until I somehow lost interest around 1988 or so. I rediscovered him last year when I found a copy of Doctor Sleep and have been catching up since.

I read the series for the first time last summer and it blew my mind, I don't think I have ever been so absorbed in a work of fiction (of course, it helped that it was SO DAMNED LONG!). When I finished book one (on my lunch break at work), I went immediately to the library and put book two on reserve. Then I thought about it for a minute and took a cab to the closest library branch which had it available on the shelves, and things went from there...

I have just embarked on a reread of the last 3 books, but having just finished Wolves I am thinking I might just start over from the beginning. I think Jake would have to be my favorite character, followed closely by Eddie and Susannah; unlike many I really don't find Roland himself too likable or interesting. I think his obsession with the Tower is so strong that it pretty much crowds out every other possible personality trait. What is consistently interesting is the way that other, relatively normal, people relate to him. He's sort of like a fixed body around which the other characters revolve.

I would have to say that my very favorite part of the series is the first 200 pages or so of book 7, though that may change on reread. I reside in Chicago and have no nickname. I found this site by googling around looking for others whose need to discuss the series is as obsessive as my own.

Merlin1958
05-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Welcome!!!

jhanic
05-13-2015, 03:15 AM
Welcome, Eric! Please feel free to post often!

John

Br!an
05-13-2015, 03:39 AM
:thumbsup:

chucknbuck
05-13-2015, 04:52 AM
Wow Brian, very similar trajectory as myself. I haven't read SK in many years, but was sucked back in with Dr. Sleep, then moved on to the dark tower. Although I was much more engaged with the character of Roland.

Looking forward to your further thoughts on the series.

Deckard2112
05-16-2015, 11:51 AM
Hi folks - I've been a long-time lurker but time to come out into the light.

I'm from Scotland and have been a fan since I was 16 and read THE MANGLER in Night Shift....CR since then

I was already a commited SK fan so it was only natural I came across it. I have to admit I wasn't terribly impressed the first time I read. It took TDOTT to hook me
Jack Sawyer. Let's have more of him please!!!
Just one?? OK......The Talisman
How old are you?
Where are you from?
Coupar Angus, Perthshire. Scotland
do you have a nickname?
No
Whilst trying to find info regarding an unusual copy of Cujo I've found. There's no limitation page so it might be a file copy from Mysterious press!?!? Still searching

stroppygoblin
05-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Hi Deckard (Blade Runner fan?) welcome to the site. Lots of very knowledgeable people here, that may be able to help you out on your Cujo questions. I would advise posting in the 'Stpehen King Collecting Questions' thread.

jhanic
05-16-2015, 12:09 PM
Welcome, Deckard! Yes, please post your question regarding the Cujo in the Calvin's Corner Questions thread. I'm sure someone hear can answer it.

John

Deckard2112
05-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome folks. I'll head on over and post up a Q

Steve

Deckard2112
05-16-2015, 12:25 PM
I just tried to post but I'm denied? Is that because I've yet to post 5 times?

.....I have now so I'll try again lol

Merlin1958
05-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Welcome!!!!

Jon
05-17-2015, 04:42 AM
WELCOME 2112!!!

Girlystevedave
05-19-2015, 08:46 AM
Welcome, Deckard! :)

frekljr
05-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Hi, my name is Josh. I live in South Carolina but currently working overseas. I've always been a huge fan of Stephen King and recently decided to read more and start a book collection. Once I found this site and all the great information and communication, I wanted to join. The last SK book I read was "Joyland" so that has kind of stuck with me over the last couple of months.

jhanic
05-26-2015, 05:33 AM
Welcome, Josh! Please feel free to join in!

John

Merlin1958
05-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Welcome to the site!!!

Jon
05-27-2015, 04:33 AM
WELCOME!!!

goheat
05-27-2015, 05:48 AM
Welcome to the site, Josh!

Viclovis
06-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Hi, I'm Jack. Thx for having this site. I'm just really missing the story and looking at what other junkies out there think of the books and stories. I don't know anyone else that read the books , let alone a few times. Thx again ,looking forward to getting new ideas and perspectives. Thx

Br!an
06-04-2015, 03:54 AM
Welcome!:thumbsup:

jhanic
06-04-2015, 03:59 AM
Welcome, Jack! Please feel free to post often!

John

Girlystevedave
06-04-2015, 06:51 AM
Hi, I'm Jack. Thx for having this site. I'm just really missing the story and looking at what other junkies out there think of the books and stories. I don't know anyone else that read the books , let alone a few times. Thx again ,looking forward to getting new ideas and perspectives. Thx

You will find plenty of tower junkies around here. Welcome! :D

Jon
06-04-2015, 07:02 PM
I HAVE heard there are even Stephen King fans here!

Shhhhh!

and WELCOME!!!

Merlin1958
06-05-2015, 05:15 AM
Welcome!!!

Viclovis
06-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Hi. Thx for the welcome. Does anyone else think Benedict Cumberbatch would make a perfect Roland?

Viclovis
06-08-2015, 06:40 PM
I have been re reading The Waste Land, and it's funny some of the people that cross my mind as I read some of the characters. It's not fair to pick a favorite book over the others. I suppose it depends on the story being read. However, I think I have read The Wasteland and Wizard and Glass most. = ) To me it's all one flowing story... Rough parts, smooth sailing at times. I'm a Junkie. What else can I say? Reading these books is like taking a vacation with old friends. Hope you guys enjoy these stories as much as me. Have a good night.

fernandito
06-09-2015, 08:25 AM
Welcome all newcomers.

TCCBodhi
06-09-2015, 09:09 AM
I have been re reading The Waste Land, and it's funny some of the people that cross my mind as I read some of the characters. It's not fair to pick a favorite book over the others. I suppose it depends on the story being read. However, I think I have read The Wasteland and Wizard and Glass most. = ) To me it's all one flowing story... Rough parts, smooth sailing at times. I'm a Junkie. What else can I say? Reading these books is like taking a vacation with old friends. Hope you guys enjoy these stories as much as me. Have a good night.

Welcome to the The Dark Tower Jack (is it OUR Jack? our boy?)! Yeah, The Waste Lands and Wizard And Glass are pretty good for "middle books" to be. Lots of action, and certainly peril, though we don't lose (completely) any of our main players. Hmm, I'm sure others have talked Cumberbatch to death, but I hadn't heard his name before. He COULD do it well, he is stoic enough, but is he tall, dark & UGLY? There's got to be a charisma there as well, which he has, otherwise the others wouldn't follow him as quickly and blindly. I'll have to think about that, he might be just slightly too young still, but not by the time this actually takes off.

Jamie Vultrille
06-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Hiya everyone. I'm Jamie (no, not that Jamie).

How did you discover the Dark Tower? Old bookstore in Gothenburg. The bookeeper was a big Stephen King fan and she recommended a 1984 edition of The Gunslinger to me. She said it would be a perfect fit for me (being a closet quantum physics and dark sci-fi/philosophy dose kind of guy) if I didn't mind the writing style. I didn't and she was right, it did blow my mind somewhat. That got me started on other SK books, like The Stand and It, and I was surprised to find little and not-so-little bits of DT in them. I finished the series some time ago, including the Revised and The Wind Through the Keyhole. The 1984 original is still my favourite (weird, huh) just because it was rather a set-up for a different story, I think. The DT as it is now is still imaginative and powerful, but it didn't really complete that first 'draft', to quote SK. It's probably waiting for someone to find that verdammt outline. Who knows, I might have. See, I found this ream of yellowed paper in my mailbox the other day...

Who is your favorite character? Cuthbert and Aileen, among the old ka-tet. In the new, Eddie. Awkward humor always gets me.

What is your favorite book? The Gunslinger, circa '84.

How old are you? 22

Where are you from? Somewhere in Deutschland.

Do you have a nickname? Enki (after Bilal, a bit of friendly art class sarcasm)

How did you find this site? Searched some DT-related fanart and followed it here. Glad I did, too.

Special powers? Painting and sketching. Singing in the shower. Embarassing myself.

There you go. Thanks and see you all around.

jhanic
06-10-2015, 03:51 AM
Welcome, Jamie! I also prefer the earlier version of The Gunslinger to the revised one. Please feel free to post often!

John

Jamie Vultrille
06-10-2015, 04:53 AM
Danke, Sai Jhanic. I completely agree with the little girl in your avatar, by the way.