PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Matt
04-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Hello all, I can't believe I just found you guys... looked up the Tick-Tock Man and it led me here. It never ceases to amaze me how tangential I become online :)

I'm so glad you found us Kate, that was a great intro story.

Welcome to the site. :rock:

Jon
04-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Welcome!

KindredAutmn
04-23-2010, 01:52 PM
How did you discover the Dark Tower? google :P

Who is your favorite charcter? roland

What is your favorite book? well i found only 6th book from dark tower i'm looking now for the rest 6 ^^

How old are you? 17

Where are you from? macedonia

do you have a nickname? well yes

Matt
04-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Love the screen name! Welcome to the site.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Welcome Kindred, From your post it sounds like you started with Song of Susannah??? Please tell me that is not the case.

KindredAutmn
04-24-2010, 08:56 AM
ahahh yes its true :/ here in macedonia it's hard to find some good fantasy, horror or sci fi books -.-

and thq ^^ :rose:

alinda
04-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Welcome to the site you guys and gals....It is a pleasure
to make your aquaintance:)

C~Dog
04-25-2010, 03:21 AM
Heyyy, i never thought there was a Dark Tower forum...I would have signed up years ago. D: My name is Conor, and I'm an avid Stephen King/DT fan, reading the series for the 2nd time (up to Wizard and Glass). None of the people I know have read the series, and precious few have read any King books... What the fuck... I just stumbled on this place whilst searching for Dark Tower-related artwork to use a reference for some stuff i'm drawing. Finally people to converse with on matters of the Tower. C:

How did you discover the Dark Tower?
I'm not entirely sure about this...I suspect it was when my mother gave me the first book, but that was long ago, and any definitive memory of when I first discovered the series has been cast into the depths of my mind.

Who is your favorite charcter?
I know this is going to sound cliched, but Roland is my favourite character. Blaine, however, is a close second xD

What is your favorite book?
Not sure on this, I think it would be either the Waste Lands, or the Dark Tower. I have enjoyed all of them immensely, mayhap W&G slightly less so.

How old are you?
19. Dun dun dunnnn

Where are you from?
I hail from the Waste Lands of Mid World... Really, I'm from Melbourne, Australia. I don't live in Melbourne as much as I do live in the barren and deserted wastes to the north of it.

do you have a nickname?
C~Dog, Condog, or just Conor is fine ;D

EDIT: I must say I am stunned by the size of this place, and am utterly lost on where to begin.

alinda
04-25-2010, 03:57 AM
Hello C~ Dog! Begin anywhere, it's just great that your here now.
19 huh? :panic:

Matt
04-25-2010, 04:14 AM
Hey CDog, great to meet you.

Let us know if you need any help looking around. :thumbsup:

SynysterSaint
04-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Welcome, everyone!

Jon
04-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Welcome!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Welcome CDog. Do you know the band Blue House? I saw them not too long ago. If I'm not mistaken they are from your neck of the woods. They are pretty awesome.

Juno
04-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Hey everyone!
I am so glad I found this site (while looking up DT tattoos)!

Well, I have been a fan of Stephen King for about 15 years and didn't start reading the DT series until after the last book came out! I had heard people talking about how hard it was waiting for the books to come out over the space of many years, so I just waited until they were all out to begin! I can safely say that my mom got me started reading Mr. King's books (when I was only 10) as I had read almost everything in the house and had a great love for more serious books already! At school my teachers had no suggestions as to reading material that would keep my attention or offer me any type of a challenge so this is what my mom suggested. I spent a lot of time in the hospital as a teenager and I found that Mr. King's books helped me to pass the time and keep me focused on things other than my health!

Who is your favourite character?
I know I am one of many, but Roland and Aileen!

What is your favourite book?
Wizard and Glass!

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Eastern Canada (Nova Scotia to be more specific)

Do you have a nickname?
No, unfortunately I don't!

Well, hopefully I will get to know you all soon!

SynysterSaint
04-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the site, Juno! I stumbled here for the exact same reason :lol:

fernandito
04-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the site, Juno ! Nice username :thumbsup:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Welcome Juno, Is that your picture in your Av. Nice tattoo, or at least from what I can tell.

Matt
04-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Hey Juno, amazing tattoo. Glad you found us. :clap:

CrowMum
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone :)

I just found this place & it looks great - so here we go with the questions, although I'm so very new to the series that there's not too much I can offer (Yet!)

Discovered it about 10 years back when I worked in a bookshop. Tried The Gunslinger, didn't get on with it at all, and gave up. Last week I read and loved Eyes of The Dragon and now I'm having another crack at the series :) I've been a lifelong King fan, just never got into the Dark Tower properly, but now I feel the time is right!

Am only realy familiar with Flagg just now, will come back and answe this soon ;)

as above!

How old are you?
Now that's a harsh question to ask a lady, lol. I'm 32.

Where are you from?
Swindon, England.

do you have a nickname?
Lots ;) most people call me trouble :rock:

Matt
04-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey CrowMum, great to meet you. Watch out for spoilers on the books in here.

Glad you decided to pick them up, they are the best of King taken as a whole in my opinion.

SynysterSaint
04-28-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't know, Matt. The lady is indeed familiar with Flagg, which leads me to believe she's familiar with The Stand. I'd say the unabridged version of The Stand and The Dark Tower series are pretty much equal. What can I say? King can write a damn good book! :lol:

Great to have you hear, Crow!

CrowMum
04-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome!
yep, I am indeed terrified of spoilers, so am kind of tiptoeing around the place with one eye closed...lol.

LOVE The Stand of course, and I think I'm right in saying I've read everything of Kings *except* this series. Really looking forward to discovering the joys of the Dark Tower after all this time :) In fact I'm off to bury my head in Gunslinger for a bit right now while it's all quiet here :cowboy:

Stuffy-Guy
04-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Welcome CrowMum. I envy those who haven't read the series yet -- the right person has such a treat in store....

Jean
04-30-2010, 02:55 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/15410AD14082-Welcome-Bear_4.jpg

catschelin
05-01-2010, 06:04 PM
I stumbled accross the first book many moons ago at the public library when I was in grade school. Loved it ever since.

I'm a huge fan of Eddie. I also like Cuthbert
My favorite book is Wizard and Glass

How old are you?
I'm 31 going on 12

Where are you from?
Origionally I'm from Montana, I currently live in the Seattle area

do you have a nickname?

Catschelin and Mom are my nicknames

Matt
05-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Hey cat!

Welcome to the path of the beam. :thumbsup:

CrowMum
05-02-2010, 02:28 AM
I know, I'm excited at the journey ahead!
am hoping to finish Gunslinger today, I used to go through 3 or 4 novels a week, but since my son was born I'm on about one a month just now! (he's 10 weeks old)

daughterofsteven
05-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Hello all!

I was a long time Tower Junkie on darktower.net...worked some crazy jobs and had 2 kids and came back into the fold only to find you guys instead!

I picked up The Gunslinger before a vacation many many moons ago when I was in middle school, read the entire thing before we even got there and went out and bought the next 3. I've been hooked ever since.

Roland

The Gunslinger

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Atlanta, GA

do you have a nickname?
Kickin'

Brice
05-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Welcome everyone! :grouphug:

leto_II
05-02-2010, 11:14 PM
A bunch of my friends recommended it heavily. I didn't immediately get hooked by the first book, but by the second I was addicted.

Who is your favorite character?
The series is definitely about Roland, and the way we see his character evolve is one of its highlights. However, I have a huge soft spot for Oy.

I really like The Wastelands because of its "out-there" setting and explanation of the multiverse's mythology. However, Wizard and Glass is my true favorite due to the extensive character development and phenomenal use of suspense and dread.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Dallas, TX

Do you have a nickname?
Nope.

John Blaze
05-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Welcome Leto, and let me say I completely agree with you about book 2. Book one was slow, but by the time I was halfway through with Drawing I was hooked.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Welcome Leto. Nice to have another Texan. I live in Lubbock.

Jean
05-03-2010, 01:21 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome20bear.jpg

Just<Another^Tower>Junkie
05-03-2010, 10:45 PM
My name is Bryant, from Mustang Oklahoma. My favorite DT literature is The Little Sisters of Euloria! Not really, I love it all, I just enjoy surprising so-called "fans" with the prequal-esque story.

(found this after I posted)
I was reading every King novel in chronological order and just stumbled in.

Oy!

The Wastelands

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Mustang, Oklahoma

do you have a nickname?
not really

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-03-2010, 10:49 PM
The Little Sisters of Euloria....haven't read that one. I have read The Little Sisters of Eluria.:P

Welcome Junkie.

Bethany
05-04-2010, 05:42 AM
welcome, everyone!

Dagavidiab
05-04-2010, 06:27 AM
The Little Sisters of Euloria....haven't read that one. I have read The Little Sisters of Eluria.:P

Welcome Junkie.

Really??? Is a new version... They are the cousins of the original sisters and came for vendetta!!!

Jon
05-04-2010, 06:50 AM
V

Jon
05-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Welcome!

Just<Another^Tower>Junkie
05-05-2010, 09:02 AM

Welcome Junkie.

Really??? Is a new version... They are the cousins of the original sisters and came for vendetta!!!
+1 Everyone knows that. Cmon.

onkelchrispy
05-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Just joined, and love this series (so far!)
I'm currently two thirds through Wolves of the Calla...love it all...

How did you discover the Dark Tower? A friend was reading it, described the Ka-Tet (including Father Callahan) and I knew I'd love it. I do.

Who is your favorite character? Eddie Dean and Oy

What is your favorite book? So far it's a tie between Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands

How old are you? 36

Where are you from? New Jersey

Do you have a nickname? Chrispy/Onk

Matt
05-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Hey onk! Great to meet you. I'm glad you found us. :dance:

JRM
05-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi, everyone. I just realized I have not properly introduced myself. :blush:

My name's Raul and I'm from Salem, Oregon. And I was a bit worried about posting here since I have not yet read The Dark Tower series (I'm a "new" Stephen King fan since last year) and I did not want anything spoiled, but I've since seen spoilers are secured. I created this account ahead of time because I know I will want to have people around to converse with when I finish. :cowboy: I'm reading many of the connections first and will be starting Gunslinger (unrevised) after The Talisman, which I'm currently reading.

EDIT:

How did you discover the Dark Tower? After reading Bag of Bones, I found out sometime last year that Stephen King has this EPIC book series similar to Lord of the Rings. Since I found out, I've been reading the connection books.

Who is your favorite character? Haven't read it yet. :blush:

What is your favorite book? I could only say what SK book is so far my favorite: Bag of Bones/IT are my top 2.

How old are you? 22

Where are you from? Salem, OR.

Do you have a nickname? Some people -- mostly family -- call me Rully.

John Blaze
05-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi Raul, and welcome. I'm glad you're on here, but I advise you to finish it as soon as possible. Although we try to be diligent in marking our spoilers, sometimes we let little things slip. :)

That being said, we hope to have you join us fully, and soon!

JRM
05-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi Raul, and welcome. I'm glad you're on here, but I advise you to finish it as soon as possible. Although we try to be diligent in marking our spoilers, sometimes we let little things slip. :)

That being said, we hope to have you join us fully, and soon!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm very careful choosing which threads to check out and which to stay out of, just in case. I'll be starting very soon, though. :dance:

John Blaze
05-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Cool, looking forward to it. Where are you from?

JRM
05-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Salem, OR. You?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-07-2010, 08:53 PM

Salem, OR. You?

I won't say, but JB might be an alien.

arrawyn
05-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi there,

I'm new here, obviously, and i'm also new to the Dark Tower! I've read lots of Stephen King's other books (I went through a big phase in highschool for some reason!) and I love fantasy books, but for some reason, never noticed his Dark Tower series - though my husband says he pointed it out to me a few years ago and I wasn't interested (probably because I didn't know what it was all about)!

Anyways, i've just finished the 4th book and can't wait to read the rest! They're great! so different from King's horror stuff (which is great because i don't really like horror, so I don't know why I read so much of his stuff in highschool!). And i'm going to pass on the series to my Dad once i've finished because I think he'll love them too (he's a bit of a cowboy - or used to be - used to wear cowboy boots and a bolo all the time - no hat tho!)

Anyways, i'll answer the questions at the beginning of this topic:

I'm on a livejournal community about Literary Tattoos and someone on there is a Dark Tower fan and they explained a bit about the books and they sounded interesting.

Well, so far, my favourite is Oy! (reminds me of my dog that has gold eyes :) ) and of course Roland.

So far it's number 2. i just loved first coming across the different doors to other worlds!

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Vancouver, Canada

do you have a nickname?
yessiree!

I'm glad i've come across the series while it's (pretty much) complete - and not when he was still writing them all - i would've hated to wait a year or 2 before the next book came out! i know he's writing another one to go in the middle, but i'm just glad it's pretty much done and i can read 5, 6, 7 all in a row :)

Matt
05-08-2010, 04:49 PM
It was hard to wait, that is for sure. I think the time between II and III was like...6 years. :scared:

John Blaze
05-08-2010, 07:15 PM

Salem, OR. You?

I won't say, but JB might be an alien.
lol, many places, actually. Chihuahua originally, Roswell next (hence the alien comment...or maybe that was Chihuahua?:P) and Carlsbad, NM last. That's where I live now.

John Blaze
05-08-2010, 07:18 PM
welcome, Arrawyn. :)

alinda
05-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Welcome indeed, to ALL newcomers...I'm glad you've finally made it home.
( and in case your wondering , this will be like home, I promise you.

Unfound v2.0
05-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Most of my friends had read the series and it came highly recommended.

Roland by far, the depth of him, the struggle, his quest.

The waste lands, I feel it paints the best pictures of the world "moving on". That and the ride on Blaine the mono was intense.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Philadelphia area

do you have a nickname?
None that i'm that im gonna share, not yet anyway :ninja:

Matt
05-12-2010, 10:29 AM
:lol:

Good answer to the last question. Welcome to the site.

Dagavidiab
05-12-2010, 10:53 AM
do you have a nickname?
None that i'm that im gonna share, not yet anyway :ninja:

Don't worry, you'll do it :evil:

NicNac
05-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey all, I'm new here, obviously!

I just started the Dark Tower books recently. Been a Stephen King fan for a looong time (got Gerald's Game taken away from me by a teacher in 5th grade, much to the chagrin of my mother), but was just never interested in DT.

Read the Gunslinger a couple months ago and liked it, and then saw on the Stephen King forums last week where someone said, "RUN, don't walk, to get the next ones, and READ THEM all!" and I thought, alright, people love them, they must be good. Picked up drawing of the three and read it in a couple of days, and now I'm racing through The Waste Lands and loving it!!

My mom has been recommending it to me for years.

Unoriginally, it is Roland. I mean, he's a GUNSLINGER, man, and I love his backstory!

I'm only on the third, but so far, The Drawing of the Three was my favorite. I love King's characterizations, and how different and yet completely fleshed out and vivid each character is as we meet them.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Seattle

do you have a nickname?
call me Nic. :)

Matt
05-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey Nic, great to meet you. Welcome to the site.

Shinra
05-13-2010, 12:56 PM
I actually found a bundle with the first three Dark Tower books in an icelandic bookstore and since I usually only had one or two opportunities to find english books a year, I pretty much grapped them instantly (the low price or the interesting pictures/drawings certainly helped).
I guess that was about in uh, 2007 I think :)

(hell, I damn dream about DT sometimes... usually after an overdose of reading xD)

I'm not sure... by far most characters feel sortof, human.

However I like Roland the most, if not then only because I'm a huge fan of westerns with Clint Eastwood so ya, go figure :P

This is a tough one but I think Drawing of the Three, Wizard and Glass (which I didn't like at first, felt like it went too slow but... well, it ninja-ed me now) and Wolves of the Calla are some of the best :)

How old are you?
17, will be 18 in a few months (finally.. living 400km away from your parent and banks and bussinesses still demanding a signed paper from them sucks...).
Where are you from?
Greenland, born in the capitcal city of Nuuk but currently a resident in Sisimiut, second-largest town in Greenland (ya, college and such).

do you have a nickname?
Uh ya, but I'm pretty sure none of you can pronounce it, it's one my grandpa called me the first time he saw me after birth, rather impressive considering he can't speak greenlandic xD

But uh, it's "Usukutaaq", few people know it and well, as far as I'm concerned my grandpa is the only one who can call me that :P

Matt
05-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Welcome Shinra! Great to meet you and welcome to the site.

John Blaze
05-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Welcome, Shinra.

Jean
05-14-2010, 12:53 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome21.gif

Miss_kiga
05-15-2010, 11:58 AM
hi i am new here :D

a friend recommended the series to me, he said it was very good, but weird. i become curious about it and burrowed the first in the library. i loved it from the first chapter

i have now read all seven and it is now one of my favorite series

the ka-tet i can't choose between them they are all great characters

the gunslinger, i liked the atmosphere in the book and it was never boring to read

the wastelands, it was there the ka-tet became whole

How old are you?
21 years

Where are you from?
denmark

alinda
05-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Hile, and welcome to the site!!
It is so amazing to meet new friends
and dark tower folken!! :couple:

John Blaze
05-15-2010, 04:59 PM
welcome, miss kiqa!

Quicksilver
05-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Hello all,

Just found the site and am glad to discover others that enjoy what I consider to be Mr King's best series of books.
I love alternative history stories and the Dark Tower series mix our world with Roland's in many interesting ways.
I am a published writer (military newpapers and magazines) myself and am always interested in meeting like minded folks.
I have several "dark fiction" stories "in the can" but as Mr King pointed out in his last book of short stories it is hard to get a book of short stories published unless you are an established author.
Looking forward to hanging out on the site.

turtlex
05-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Welcome to the site, new friends.

Jon
05-16-2010, 12:57 AM
WELCOME!

whiskey
05-16-2010, 05:18 AM
I used to read whatever books my dad had finished reading. He got me into King, it was only natural that I would read this one too. I remember reading the Gunslinger when i was about 13 in one day. Instantly transfixed, and really, unfulfilled when it was over.

Roland is hands down the centerpiece. I liked all the rest, but for some reason, I just never really came around to Susannah much. I don't have a problem with the 'strong willed/powerful woman' character, I just never came around to her. I did like her though, don't get me wrong. The character I liked the LEAST.........HAD to be Stephen King. ;)

The Gunslinger. Close 2nd would be Wizard and Glass.

The Gunslinger is an absolutely brilliant introduction to Roland and his world. It was a little dry in places, and the character of Roland was very mysterious and tough to read at that point, but this is where it all kicked off. And that, in my opinion, makes it the best.

Wizard and Glass, brilliant story. The people of Mejis were some of the best characterizations King's ever done. He put so much into making that entire region and its people real. The love story......blech, but I can at least recognize how important that episode was in building Roland's character.

How old are you? 35 -ish

Where are you from?

Wisconsin, U.S.A.

alinda
05-16-2010, 05:36 AM
Welcome Whisky to the site, think you'll
like it here. :cowboy:

whiskey
05-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Welcome Whisky to the site, think you'll
like it here. :cowboy:

Thanks!

Jon
05-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Welcome!

LightemUp
05-19-2010, 12:56 AM
An attorney at the law firm I work at noticed one day that I was reading Dreamcatcher during my break. He mentioned The Dark Tower series, and though I was skeptical at first I eventually borrowed some of his audio books/books and fell in love.

Cuthbert- In the circle of people who've read the books that I know I am always compared to him. I am comic relief for my buddies, and I would have it no other way.

I could say the Wizard and Glass due to my character preference, but I really like the Wolves of Calla. It shows the first bits of interaction outside of the ka-tet

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Originally from Folkston, Georgia... Now living in Mid-Missouri.

Do you have a nickname?
I've been called caterpillar due to my love of hookah, but Sam will do.

Jon
05-19-2010, 01:48 AM
WELCOME!!!

SolidTG7
05-21-2010, 06:46 AM

I used to read lots of fantasy and scifi but I was getting a little tired of more or less the same stuff so a friend told me about King's series and I gave The Gunslinger a shot. All the similar elements to the stuff I've read where there but in completely different and engrossing ways.

Roland is probably my favorite but I also really like the cast of Gilead, like his father Steven and Cort. Although they were not in the novels very much their influence is really why Roland is the way he is. I also really like Jake, he can be so childish but at the same time a cold blooded gunslinger, interesting duality.

The Wizard and the Glass followed by the Gunslinger. Mostly those two because they deal with Mid-World alone and from there on they set up the intertwining of the worlds and give background on many of the things that the other ones refer to or deal with either directly or indirectly. I should mention that I have not yet finished the last one, I'm about halfway through it and I should have it finished by this weekend but that one so far is also pretty good. It's pretty hard to pick just one of these great books.

How old are you? 28

Where are you from?

Livonia, MI USA

Bear667
05-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Just picked it up at a bookstore one day. I like SK's work, and figured I'd give it a shot.

Roland .

Wizard and Glass.

How old are you? 37

Where are you from?

Iowa, U.S.A.

Matt
05-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Hey Bear and Solid, great to meet you two. :clap:

TheDarkel
05-23-2010, 10:44 AM
I found a copy of "The Gunslinger" on a plane. I was hooked instantly.

Walter/Jonas

Wizard and Glass

How old are you?

do you have a nickname?
"Darkel"

Matt
05-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the site darkle, great to meet you. :thumbsup:

lukenet19
05-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Hi! :) It's great there is place like this!

My friend told me about The Gunslinger about 10 years ago...

Roland, Eddie, Cort.. :)

The Gunslinger

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Horice in Czech republic

do you have a nickname?
many...:)

:rose:

JerricaDeschain
05-24-2010, 07:40 AM

My brother and my Dad read them when I was younger and loved them so much. I started reading The Gunslinger when I was in high school, but didn't finish the book. I read the entire series while I was in college in a short period of time. Best book series ever written, and I can't even say I'm a huge Stephan King fan.

Who is your favorite character? Jake! & Oy of course! But I love them all. <3

What is your favorite book? Hmm... probably Wastelands, but it's a tough choice.

How old are you? 22

Where are you from? Pittsburgh, PA

do you have a nickname? none, just Jerrica. =)

turtlex
05-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Welcome Luke and Jerrica!!!

Make yourselves at home - lots of fun stuff here!

lukenet19
05-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks turtlex! :) ...

:rose:

brightmidnight71
05-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Well, my father has always been a big Stephen King fan and I started making my way through his collection of hardcovers starting in about 5th grade. I read an old paperback of Eyes of the Dragon that he had and thought the Dark Tower books would be similar. I had already read The Stand and a friend of mine told me Flagg was in the Dark Tower series as well, so that was enough for me.
My dad had a copy of The Gunslinger and Wastelands, though he had read them so long before that he didn't really remember them, or why he bought books 1 and 3 and not 2. So, I read The Gunslinger, which was the old version, and was instantly hooked after he massacred Tull. Then came the misery of waiting for a new book after Wizard and Glass was published. When the final three started coming out, my father re-read the whole series with me and got into it as much as I did.

Roland has always been my favorite. It's an obvious and boring choice, I guess. Oy is a close second.

The Drawing of the Three. I love how King starts the novel with the protagonist in such a horrible situation. I can read that book over and over.

How old are you?
27, if it do ya.

Where are you from?
Jersey

do you have a nickname?
not really

woodpryan
05-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Well, my father has always been a big Stephen King fan and I started making my way through his collection of hardcovers starting in about 5th grade. I read an old paperback of Eyes of the Dragon that he had and thought the Dark Tower books would be similar. I had already read The Stand and a friend of mine told me Flagg was in the Dark Tower series as well, so that was enough for me.
My dad had a copy of The Gunslinger and Wastelands, though he had read them so long before that he didn't really remember them, or why he bought books 1 and 3 and not 2. So, I read The Gunslinger, which was the old version, and was instantly hooked after he massacred Tull. Then came the misery of waiting for a new book after Wizard and Glass was published. When the final three started coming out, my father re-read the whole series with me and got into it as much as I did.

sounds like a pretty neat bonding experience with your father brightmidnight71. I admire and envy that. i should come over here more often. The answers to these questions are pretty facinating. I didn't even answer them when I first joined. I just came in and said hello. I suppose I'll go ahead and answer them now.

I was 16 years old and I wanted to read wizard and glass because I liked the cover, read the back, and was intrigued. It was a copy owned by my at-the-time stepfather and he told me I couldn't read it. He ended up getting me a boxed set for Christmas that had the first three in trade paper back. I got four Alice in Chains CDs the same year and I read all four of the books while my CD player spun them over and over. Now every time I listen to AIC, I think of The Dark Tower. I loved the stories and was agonized in waiting for the last three to come out, rushing out to the store to buy them the day they were released.

I know that this answer gets tired but, Roland. Simply because I can relate to the man. I'm very dry humored and hard to read. My fiance can tell you that she was reminded of me while she read about Roland.

From the fiance's point of view... Yes, Roland reminds me very clearly of Ryan; and, yes, Ryan is also insanely hard to read.

Wizard and Glass by far. I loved them all (except Song of Susannah, sorry. I hated it) but even though I'm a very dry person, I'm a sucker for a really great and realistic love story. I loved the tragic ending and my favorite battle scene is in this book with Cuthbert riding behind the big coffin hunters with his sling shot.

How old are you?
I'm 23 now.

Where are you from?
Madison, Alabama, formerly El Paso, Texas. I've set most of my stories in fictional Shelton, Texas, a little over fifty miles outside of El Paso.

brightmidnight71
05-25-2010, 10:11 AM
[quote] I got four Alice in Chains CDs the same year and I read all four of the books while my CD player spun them over and over. Now every time I listen to AIC, I think of The Dark Tower. I loved the stories and was agonized in waiting for the last three to come out, rushing out to the store to buy them the day they were released.

Thanks man, it was a great experience with my dad. In fact, that's one of the few ways we did bond and still do, through Stephen King books and movies.

Alice in Chains...yeah man. That's so funny. When Wolves finally came out I was in college and just got into Johnny Cash. I re-read the series from the beginning when I heard the new one was coming out, and Johnny Cash always sounds like the tower to me.
I had the same thing with AIC's Facelift and The Crow...brief obsessions that occur at the same time in your life form strange associations that last for a very long time.

woodpryan
05-25-2010, 10:23 AM
I had the same thing with AIC's Facelift and The Crow...brief obsessions that occur at the same time in your life form strange associations that last for a very long time.
Yeah, there's term for that in psychology. I can't remember what it is right now. Either it's because I haven't slept in 24 hours or because my mind decided to forget everything I learned there after obtaining my A. *sighs* oh well.

arrawyn
05-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Welcome all newbies! i'm sure you'll enjoy this site as much as I have since I joined just a little while ago :thumbsup:

Jean
05-27-2010, 01:11 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome-713685.jpg

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-27-2010, 01:26 AM
Welcome new members.

http://rlv.zcache.com/hello_from_texas_postcard_west_texas_mesquite_bush-p239717253936446655qibm_400.jpg

Dark_Tower_Junkie
05-27-2010, 10:15 AM
I just finished the last one...and am sad it is all over. Moving to the graphic novels now...finished the first one of those...on the Battle of Jericho.:shoot:

l0rdhelmet223
05-27-2010, 07:51 PM
howdy all, I just signed up on here today... I finished the series probly 4 months ago and am looking to start reading em over again soon as I can borrow em again... by far the BEST story I've ever read.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-27-2010, 09:19 PM
howdy all, I just signed up on here today... I finished the series probly 4 months ago and am looking to start reading em over again soon as I can borrow em again... by far the BEST story I've ever read.

What? You went over my helmet? (haha love your name)

Welcome to the site. We will be doing a group reread this summer, it has already begun as a matter of fact.

John Cullum
05-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Hello!

answer any or all and add your own questions. :D

My little brother knows I love Stephen King. He bought the 1st book, I read it and was hooked. Within a month I read all 7.

That's a hard one.
Obviously Roland because he's the first we meet and the character the series is centered around.
But King did such good job letting us get to know all the characters that it's almost as if they've become "friends".

Of the Dark Tower series:
The Gunslinger. For no reason more than had I not read it, I'd have not known about the rest.

All time favorite:
Swan Song

How old are you?

Where are you from?
The US

do you have a nickname?
Nope.

Jon
05-30-2010, 03:04 AM
WELCOME!!!

dwash57
06-01-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm kinda new to SK (2 years listening to audiobooks) and have done the entire 7 DT series 5 times. I can not believe what a GREAT journey this is. I have talked many of my friends into reading or listeneing to it and all have become totally lost in the story. I can't thank SK enough for this story. Although I have done about 50 audiobooks over the 2 years, none I have listened to (by any author) can measure up. Best story I have eave heard.

dwash57
06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
How did I discover the Dark Tower? Completely by accident. Heard of SK and figured DT is as gooda place to start than any.

Who is my favorite character? Can't even answer that one "ah yea".

What is my favorite book? Wolve of the Calla.

How old am I? 53.

Where am I from? Michigan.

My nickname is Dwash57

hendavid
06-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm totally new about the tower. I grab book VII from a bookstore by home and decide to read the serie and buy book I.

Who is your favorite charRight now I'm in book II, so I still don't know. As far as I've read maybe Roland.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Barranquilla (COLOMBIA)

do you have a nickname?
Bebo

stone, rose, unfound door
06-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Welcome all newbies :)

Dagavidiab
06-02-2010, 06:00 AM
I'm totally new about the tower. I grab book VII from a bookstore by home and decide to read the serie and buy book I.

Who is your favorite charRight now I'm in book II, so I still don't know. As far as I've read maybe Roland.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Barranquilla (COLOMBIA)

do you have a nickname?
Bebo

Welcome to this place man!! Eres un tocayo?!
Soy de Venezuela, cualquier cosa no dudes en preguntar!
Be aware of the threads you open, they could have a lot of spoilers of the books!

Lyrinosis
06-03-2010, 07:39 AM
How did you discover the Dark Tower? I have seen it on the bookstore shelves for years. Never interested. Looked stupid to me. Never met anyone who red it. I am a long-time SK fan, but always considered him the McDonalds of writers. Couldn't invest in that many books. One day I took a chance and bought the Audio Book of The Gunslinger. Now, its my favorite series of all time!!

Who is your favorite charcter? Roland

What is your favorite book? so far - The wastelands

How old are you? 37

Where are you from? Abbotsford, BC, Canada

do you have a nickname?

Matt
06-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Hey Lyrinsos, welcome to the site.

Watch out for spoilers on the rest of the books!

arrawyn
06-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi Lyrinosis! a fellow BC'er! (i'm from vancouver) Welcome! i'm sure you'll enjoy this site as much as i have so far! i felt the same as you about the series before I actually read it (that it looked stupid - particularly the plot of the Waste Lands (re: Blaine)!). But now it is my fave series of all. i never thought i'd like a certain book (or series) enough to actually re-read it/them, but this one I am definitely going to re-read! (i've already re-read the Gunslinger, just after finishing VII - and i really picked up on a whole lot more re-reading it right after finishing the series, that i would've never got during my 1st read of the Gunslinger.

sorry for the rant - and welcome all newbies!

Jon
06-04-2010, 07:59 AM
WELCOME!!!

Charyou Tree
06-05-2010, 07:53 AM
I was a huge King fan. I saw it on the Pet Semetary front page...so I bought it.

Roland.....actually...Cuthbert.

Wizard & Glass

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Michigan

do you have a nickname?
......mmmmmmmmmmaybe......:evil:

Jon
06-05-2010, 11:06 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/walterodim_photos/Welcome-2.jpg

Jack Torrance
06-09-2010, 12:23 AM

I received it as a gift from my brother.

The Crimson King (Sorry)

I would saw The Gunslinger or The Wastelands

How old are you?

I am 24

Where are you from?

I am from Ellwood/Riverside PA

do you have a nickname?

No nickname for me sorry.

Tito_Villa
06-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Welcome!

Jace West
06-09-2010, 07:53 AM

My brother encouraged me to read this series in 2003 when I was 19, and I try to read them at least once every three years or so.

My favorite character? It's a toss-up between Eddie Dean and Cuthbert Allgood. I've been told I have a personality so similar to both that it's eerie. Mayhap I would remind Roland of one or the other.

Another toss-up between The Drawing of the Three and The Dark Tower.

How old are you?

27 on 06.25!

Where are you from?

Knowlton, New Jersey.

Do you have a nickname?

That depends on who's calling.

Matt
06-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Hey Jace, welcome to the site. Great to meet you. :rock:

Jack Torrance
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Welcome!

Thank you! I am glad to be here! It is good to see people having similar passions to mine.

Matt
06-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Great to meet you Jack, welcome to the site.

Encyclopedia
06-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi. I hope I remember to visit this forum often, because It'd be nice to talk to other constant readers and fans.

About me: 29-year-old married mom of two smallish rugrats. I'm an IT student and a gamer.

My mom had the first three books in the series. I read my first Stephen King book in 6th grade (Firestarter), and have read all of Stephen King's fiction books, usually several times.

Jake.

The Wastelands.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Just south of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.

arrawyn
06-10-2010, 05:16 PM
welcome everyone!

fivethirtytwo
06-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Hi all. I've been on the site for a few months now but never bothered to introduce myself. May I say that it's been an absolute pleasure so far to meet all of you. All of you truly embody the pluralist message the books unwittingly preach (there are other worlds than these!) and I'm astonished by the good will present in abundance in the forum.
My apologies for the delayed intro.

I had been avoiding picking up The Dark Tower for ages, even though I was always a huge SK fan since I read The Stand in my teens. I blame the back covers of the books, which led me to believe it was a fantasy series set in an alternate reality which doesn't play by real world rules. I hate such books, because there's no point of reference for 'people from our world' (if that makes any sense).
I was immensely relieved when I finally decided to give the books a chance and discovered the cross overs with the real world.

It's a toss-up between Jake and Cuthbert.

The Drawing of the Three. Hands down.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Pakistan

do you have a nickname?

My friends call me Fundi.

redsabre
06-14-2010, 10:45 AM

I first picked up The Gunslinger in 1982, and have been toddling along ever since.

My favorite character would be Eddie. He's such a smart-ass; you just gotta love a guy who can hang onto his sense of humor in the face of an impossible set of circumstances.

I really can't say. Depends on my mood, but my three favorites are Drawing of the Three, The Waste Lands and The Dark Tower.

How old are you?

"Old enough to vote but not old enough for Social Security.":P

Where are you from?

I'm originally from Wisconsin.

do you have a nickname?

Other than redsabre, none of them are printable. Oh, well.

Levy
06-14-2010, 06:49 PM

My parents friend John turned me on to the series when i was 13. Without him not sure if MnD would have let me read SK.

Eddie, ties into much of my life.

Of the DK series... going w the Wastelands
How old are you?

Where are you from?
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

do you have a nickname?
Yep, Levy, Eric if ur not cool w Levy

Glad to be part of the site,

E

Matt
06-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey fivethirtytwo, welcome to the site. Love your favorite book choice :clap:It is always nice to have new international people, adds wonderful perspective to the site.

Welcome to redsabre, I just really hope when we are old enough for SS, we can still have it. Glad you found us.

Also great to have another Canadian of course, welcome Levy. You mentioned Waste Lands as your favorite from the series, what is your favorite King book overall?

alkanto
06-15-2010, 06:31 PM

I read 'Salem's Lot when I was in sixth grade, and was immediately hooked! From there I picked up every Stephen King book I could find, and was attracted to the Dark Tower, actually from the raven on the cover of the edition I have. Then, from a little online digging, I found out that it was a fantasy series of sorts, and decided I might as well give it a try.

Jake! I was 12 when I read it at first, so I naturally identified with him.

In the Dark Tower, The Drawing of the Three. Of other SK books, 'Salem's Lot

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Iowa, USA

Do you have a nickname?

Multiple :) Online, Alkanto, Al, Bast....mostly the same IRL, actually, adding Jen and Frodo (I'm really quite short...hence the Hobbit reference)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-15-2010, 06:40 PM
let me be the first to welcome you Al. Look around, make yourself comfortable, but beware... Here there be tygers.

redsabre
06-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Welcome to redsabre, I just really hope when we are old enough for SS, we can still have it. Glad you found us.

Thankee-sai! I think SS is past the point of HOPE (be it true or false) . . . we might be very lucky indeed to have ANYTHING to claim as our own in another couple of years.

Oh, well . . . the band plays on . . .

monstergirl
06-16-2010, 04:23 PM
How did you discover the Dark Tower? I started Reading King in 85, and he had me at hello. I have since read every SK book published. The DT series is my favorite.

Who is your favorite charcter? Roland or Flagg

What is your favorite book? The Gunslinger

How old are you? 40 in July 2010

Where are you from? LA, New Orleans, Portland, OR, Michigan, Live in Iowa now

do you have a nickname? Thumper

I have extensive DT tattoos and work in film as an Art Director

LineofEld
06-16-2010, 05:31 PM

I was a Dean Koontz fanatic through high school. One day, my mother came home and said: ENOUGH! You've read all the Koontz books bare... here try this one. King has been the love of my life since.

It's a toss between Jake and Oy. Both have an openness, an honesty, that touches my heart.

DTVII... but I also love Insomnia.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Louisville, KY

Do you have a nickname?

Jing... My first name starts with a "J" and my last name starts with an "Ing."

Matt
06-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey Monstergirl and LineofEld--those are great screen names.

Welcome to the site. :clap:

Sly
06-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey everyone , just joined. How did I discovery the Dark Tower? Well i've been into Steven Kings works since I was a kid, through the movies. Recently I started hearing things about something called "The Dark Tower Saga" and how it was King's Opus and that Hollywood is trying to make it into a film. I became even more intrigued by it after seeing several recommendations from youtube user's. I've finished The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three. Right now i'm reading The Waste Lands and I'm really enjoying the saga.

Jack Torrance
06-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Hey everyone , just joined. How did I discovery the Dark Tower? Well i've been into Steven Kings works since I was a kid, through the movies. Recently I started hearing things about something called "The Dark Tower Saga" and how it was King's Opus and that Hollywood is trying to make it into a film. I became even more intrigued by it after seeing several recommendations from youtube user's. I've finished The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three. Right now i'm reading The Waste Lands and I'm really enjoying the saga.

Hi. Welcome!

I hope you enjoy it here!

Matt
06-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Hey Sly, welcome to the site.

Watch out for spoilers on those last books around. People who have been through them 10 times or more get a little lazy on covering them up. :lol:

CannotCatch22
06-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Back in Eighth grade I just got done reading IT (my first King book) and my friend had The Gunslinger and let me borrow it. After that I blew through the rest of the series from my local library and am now on my 3rd re-read of the series at 19 years old (har-har)

Cuthbert, hands down.

Tough decision between Wizard and Glass and The Dark Tower. The Gunslinger is up in there too

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Mentor, Ohio

do you have a nickname?
Used to be Fat Jack but I've lost a lot of weight recently, so I guess not anymore.

Brice
06-19-2010, 03:00 PM
It's good to have you here with us. :)

Jon
06-19-2010, 07:11 PM
WELCOME!

The Dark Man
06-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Hello My name is Chris aka The Dark Man. The Dark Tower Rules :onfire:

KaMai19
06-20-2010, 04:04 PM
I suppose this is good a place as any to get started!

As I wrote in my Bio I was born in Middle-earth but came of age in Mid-World. I grew up with my father reading the books. I was 12yrs old when Wizard and Glass came out. At that time my father reread the first three books and idly one day I picked up The Gunslinger and never put the series down.

What the heck kind of question is that?! Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah and Oy were my closest friends for a long time. I can't chose.

Again, I really can't choose... And in all honesty...and this is hard to admit, I haven't finished the last book. I only have about 60 pages left....it's been five years and I still haven't been able to finish it because I just can't let the story end. It can't really be over, and though it's such an expansive, far reaching story and world that will really never end I just can't bring myself to step into the clearing at the end of Roland's tale...

How old are you?
25 years this coming August 19th

Where are you from?
California, residing in Iowa.

Do you have a nickname?
Lots! My name is Lindsey, so most everyone calls me Linds...which I wasn't particularly comfortable with at first but have embraced it.

At the moment I am rereading the series (yet again) with the intention of actually finishing it this time! I am also currently trying to design my Dark Tower tattoo. :rose:

Matt
06-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the site KaMai19 and The Dark Man, its great to meet you both. :clap:

KaMai19
06-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the Welcome, Matt! This is an AMAZING community you all have here! I'm very excited to become a part of it :D

Jon
06-21-2010, 07:05 AM
WELCOME you two!

Mo-linoDeViento
06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
How did you discover the Dark Tower? My friend was re-reading the first book when he recommended it to me, an avid Stephen King fan. I borrowed it and finished it in two days during the dreaded week of Midterms...totally worth the lost study time. If you're asking how I discovered this site, it was Google Images...I was curious to see what other people thought Susannah Dean looked like.

Who is your favorite character? I'm only on the third book right now, and I guess it'd be Eddie. He seems the most human, the most realistic, and I always tend to go for the comic relief character...or the villain. :P

What is your favorite book? The Eyes of the Dragon, by Stephen King, but out of the series, I'd say the first one. It captivated me and melted my brain.

How old are you? I'll be 19 next week. (Holy crap, when did that happen??)

Where are you from? Kentucky, USA. Yes, home of KFC. Please don't judge me on what you know of Kentucky...only half of it is true. :harrier:

do you have a nickname? Just Mo.

Letti
06-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Welcome you all. You have found the right place if you are crazy about the Dark Tower.

black 13
06-23-2010, 07:42 AM
I dicovered the DT series like this, I use to take care of this blind young man and he had all the frank muller books on tape , we would take long rides and listen to them , i then read all books. we went to nyc , his request to find lot , his family is wealthy and i was paid so i didnt mind , we had interesting experiances to say the least

Jon
06-23-2010, 09:02 AM
WELCOME!!!

Mo-linoDeViento
06-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks, Letti! I love the graphic in your signature, by the way.

Jon
06-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Welcome!

Nineteen Letters Long
06-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Not much of a story. I just sort of decided to start reading Stephen King books, and I eventually got around to The Gunslinger, which my local library had a copy of. Thrilling.

How can your favorite character not be Roland? After him, I'd probably have to go with Walter/Flagg. Another obvious choice.

I used to say The Gunslinger, now maybe The Waste Lands, though when people ask, I just say, "The Dark Tower series." Outside of King, I'm rather fond of Harry Potter, to phrase it lightly.

How old are you?
Nineteen and fifteen months ;)

Where are you from?
Massachusetts

do you have a nickname?
*crushes urge to make dumb Walter joke* 19, I suppose.

Letti
06-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Nineteen Letters Long, I lllove your screen name. Welcome to the site. :rose:

alinda
06-28-2010, 05:10 AM
Good morning, and hello to all new comers. Welcome to the site!
It is a pleasure to make your aquaintence, and I hope that you
will make yourselves comfortable, and allow us to get to know you!

LovesSweetExile
06-29-2010, 12:43 AM

Friend suggested I read it.

Oh god, thats a tough one, sorry Ill have to give two answers, first is Alain Johns, second is OY.

The Gunslinger, out of all, it had the most surrealist, dreamy and haunting atmosphere which to me resembles Rolands world most accurate.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

UK

do you have a nickname?

No

Matt
06-29-2010, 06:46 AM
Great screen name LovesSweetExile. Welcome to the site.

Mo-linoDeViento
06-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Nineteen Letters Long, love your name/introduction! I'm also "rather fond of Harry Potter, to phrase it lightly." Welcome fellow newbie! :)

Tito_Villa
06-30-2010, 02:46 AM
Welcome everyone!

Nineteen Letters Long
06-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. :)

Jean
06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/15410AD14082-Welcome-Bear_4.jpg

myscmoon
06-30-2010, 12:35 PM
I dated this boy who constantly bugged me with it- So i finally read it. Hot Damn, If anything good came out of that relationship at all- it was the love of this series <3

Cuthberrrt <3 And after that, Roland, Then Eddie :3

Of the Series? o___O;
Wizard and Glass :D

How old are you?
17- I began reading it when i was 15 :3

Where are you from?
Victorville, California-
But, now i live in San Dimas :p

do you have a nickname?
Too many to list, in all honesty.
I'd like to be called "Skye", though <3

Matt
07-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Hey Skye, great to meet you. Welcome to the path of the beam. :nana:

darkdiscoveries
07-03-2010, 08:15 PM
I've lurked here off and on, but for some reason never got around to posting. My name is James and I publish a magazine called Dark Discoveries devoted to Horror and Dark Fantasy. We've had everybody from Ray Bradbury and Richard Matheson to H.R. Giger and Stephen King's son Joe Hill in the magazine over the 6 years i've been publishing it. We've also had features on King, reviews, bibliographies and so on. Hopefully we'll be having the man himself in an upcoming issue if it works out as planned. He's one of the very few i've yet to land in our pages!

I'm also a longtime King fan and collector and have sold many SK things over the years on ebay, etc. Many of you have bought things from me. My handle there is: jaybeehorror.

- James Beach
Publisher/Editor-in-chief
http://www.darkdiscoveries.com

darkdiscoveries
07-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Actually, I also sent copies of Dark Discoveries to the very first Palavercon (via Jonathan Reitan) many years ago. (That was tied into your site wasn't it?) I completely forgot about that!!!

So many of you may be familiar with the magazine already. DD is also in a large amount of stores including Barnes & Noble, Borders and Chapters.

- James
http://www.darkdiscoveries.com

Holden
07-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Came across The Gunslinger in the library.

Roland. He gets shit done.

I'm actually only at the end of the fourth, Wizard and Glass. I know I'm probably the only person here who hasn't finished them. I'm not totally against running across the occasional spoiler, but I probably will just watch where I go and avoid highlighting spoiler content.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
I'm from North Carolina and have recently been stationed here (Ft. Bragg) in my home state after my last duty station in Germany. I'm in the 18th Fires Brigade - the only Airborne artillery unit in the Army. We like to think we're pretty bad-ass, even if our shoulder sleeve insignia does look like a dildo with wings. http://www.bragg.army.mil/188BSB/images/18th%20Fires%20SSI.jpg

do you have a nickname?
Yeah, most everyone calls me Gonzo. I broke my nose when I was a kid and it turned completely blue for about three weeks. Looked just like that muppet. Just stuck for some reason. Kids are cruel, eh? I doubt most people even remember how it started now though.

Hope to discuss some of the stuff I come across in the books. I think it'll be pretty cool to talk to some people who have already had time to think about and digest some of the stuff I'm just getting to. Don't have mountains of free time, but I hope to come around every couple of days at least.

arrawyn
07-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Welcome Holden and darkdiscoveries!

Hope you enjoy the site!

and Holden - no you're not the only person to be on the site that hasn't finished the books - when i joined the site I had just finished Wizard & Glass (or maybe it was the 5th one). I am finished them all now though. But yes, tread carefully with spoilers!

Jean
07-04-2010, 12:51 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcometeddy8.gif

killboi
07-04-2010, 05:36 AM
Hi Everyone, I am New To Dark Tower Series & this site. And i look forward to enjoying my stay here.

When one of my friends suggested me 'The Stand' i was hooked to it and liked it very much. I think I saw Stephen King mentioning dark tower somewhere in the introduction and i wanted to check it right away since it is a pretty long series. I just love fat novels. :rock:

Eddie Dean. He just is everything I love about. Roland Comes close second.

Well, I haven't read all of them yet. I am reading Wolves of the Calla currently and although i don't know anything about the ending, I'm scared to reach it after reading so many negative comments about the series. I am gonna finish this anyway since i loved the earlier books. And 'The Wizard and Glass' is my fav among the first four. First book is also amazing.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

New Delhi, India. I don't have many friends here who read Stephen King. But, i'm happy that i didn't miss him.

do you have a nickname?

Killboi :cool:

Jean
07-04-2010, 05:49 AM
don't let anybody's opinion influence yours (not even mine, although we bears think the saga is great all the way, and ends in a perfect way, too!)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome20bear.jpg

Claudine D`schaine
07-04-2010, 08:23 AM
I discovered it, searching a new Sk`s book.. and I read on Wiky about DT so I decided to read it.

I LOVE ROLAND...! but also Jack makes my heart beats!!

I really enjoy de Wizzard, but I cry with the DT 7

I am from Arequipa Peru,

I`m 35 years

My nick is Bibi

Jean
07-04-2010, 08:32 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome-1.jpg

Accalia
07-04-2010, 02:57 PM
How did you discover the Dark Tower? I discovered it back in 1996. I started it with The Wastelands. I didnt know at the time that it was a series. It wasnt long after that I read the first two...

Who is your favorite character? This is a hard choice. They each have parts that I love about them.

What is your favorite book? The last :smiles:

How old are you? 30 years of age.

Where are you from? I travel too much. At this time I reside in Utah. This time next year? Your guess is as good as mine

do you have a nickname? I have many nicknames. Accalia, Reba, Ravenous, Blackblade,

If there are any other questions to be answered, I would love to answer them :)

Brice
07-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Welcome! :)

Matt
07-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Hey Accalia! Welcome to the site. It is great to meet you. :rose:

Jean
07-05-2010, 01:12 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome-Inner.jpg

slacoss328
07-05-2010, 04:25 AM
Hey there everyone! I came across this website a couple of evenings ago. Over the past few months, I began, and have read through the entire DT series. About ten minutes ago, I just finished reading the final few chapters. WHAT AN AMAZING STORY! Anyway, my name is Scott, and I am glad to find a website with others that love these books!

A friend of mine, suggested that I read it when I told him I had been looking for a good series to read. My wife has been caught up in several Vampire Series and I guess I got jealous, and wanted the experience of an Epic Story!

For me, it has got to be Oy all the way!

The Drawing of the Three

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Westminster, Maryland...Many other places!

do you have a nickname?

Scottie, which is standard for a Scott

Brice
07-05-2010, 03:35 PM

My wife has been caught up in several Vampire Series and I guess I got jealous, and wanted the experience of an Epic Story!

Is this a roundabout way of telling us that you were inspired to read The Dark Tower by Twilight? :unsure: :lol:

Jon
07-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi all

Dagavidiab
07-06-2010, 07:44 AM

My wife has been caught up in several Vampire Series and I guess I got jealous, and wanted the experience of an Epic Story!

Is this a roundabout way of telling us that you were inspired to read The Dark Tower by Twilight? :unsure: :lol:

It could be the ONLY good thing that Twilight has inspired...

Brice
07-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Agreed!

Jon
07-06-2010, 02:05 PM

Sill
07-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I was at a 3 books for $10 booth, and being a Stephen King fan, picked 2 random books, one being The Drawing of the Three. I had,very surprisingly, never heard of the DT series but was hooked almost instantly on that book. I realized I was missing some important part of the story, but was thrilled to find out there was another 6 books. My life after that was almost consumed by my own quest to complete the Dark Tower series. Only problem is...the quest never really ends does it? So now I am back to the ever enticing opening line, The man in black fled accross the desert and the gunslinger followed...

Roland and Oy tie for first. but everyone is great

Hmm... If I HAD to pick one The Dark Tower 7

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Canada

do you have a nickname?
IRL..Mama seems to be popular Online Sill

Zelter
07-09-2010, 02:09 PM
I read the fourth book (Wizard and Glass) randomly after buying it from a book shop, I've been an adict ever since :).

Oy or Cuthbert

The final book, no other book has ever made me shed a tear

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Ireland
do you have a nickname?
Naw

Matt
07-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Hey Sill and Zelter, welcome to the site. It is great to have new friends join us along the path of the beam. :thumbsup:

murkhezan
07-09-2010, 11:27 PM

- I knew about these magnificent books before, and also my brother and friends read it before, so i decided to join the ka-tet:)

- Hmm hard to answer, but i guess Oy :) though i very much love Eddie and Jake too, Roland too, well all :) but Oy is number one i guess.

- The Dark Tower (7)

How old are you?

Where are you from?

- Turkey

do you have a nickname?

- Dodo

wganz
07-11-2010, 06:03 PM
How did you discover the Dark Tower? Read an early review of it. Started reading it. Somehow got sidetracked and now have it on audiobook on my mp3 player.

Who is your favorite character? Eddie since I'm too much like him. :unsure:

What is your favorite book? The Gunslinger. The first sentence of that book just hooked me for some reason.

How old are you? 54

Where are you from? Louisiana

do you have a nickname? No

I've now got the entire series as ab audio book on my mp3 player. When I'm banished to the back alley with my cigar. I spend hours just listening and enjoying a good stoogie. :cool:

alinda
07-12-2010, 05:27 AM
Hello everybody! It is great to meet you all, you are so gonna
love this site. Welcome to it!

towerfan
07-12-2010, 03:56 PM
I was introduced to the dt books by simply being a sk fan:cyclops: my favorite character is roland:ninja: my favorite book is dt7:cyclops: i am 30:cool: i am from a lot of places. my nick name is shelly:ninja:

Matt
07-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey Shelly, great to meet you. Welcome to the site.

Jean
07-12-2010, 10:55 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome2625277.gif

towerfan
07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the welcomes! got lost for awhile, but i finaly found the beam!

10luluff
07-13-2010, 08:15 AM
:orely::orely:I started reading the dark tower after reading black house[which i loved].theres loads of links between these 2 books. how do i ask a question about the dark tower,i dont know how to use this site?

Matt
07-13-2010, 02:49 PM
It is a standard forum format so you can comment in the threads the same way you commented here. Just go to the main forum view and check out The Baronies for sub forums on each of the books.

Welcome to the site. :thumbsup:

Jean
07-14-2010, 01:43 AM
Anyone who loves Black House is bears' friend!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome178868103.jpg

lunarose
07-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi All,
Being a long time King fan I bought The Gunslinger when it was first published.

Oy!

Wizards and Glass

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Born and raised in S.CA.

do you have a nickname?
No.
Nancy

Darkthoughts
07-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Welcome, Lunarose :rose:

Bad Karma
07-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Finally glad to find a decent DT website (apart from the Compendium)...activity there is slow now...or everyone has "moved on" lol.

My final deployment abroad, aboard USS Abraham Lincoln...won a copy of "DT-2" in a cheap Texas Holdem game gone seriously wrong.:drool: lucky me... hooked ever since.

Roland

Wizard and Glass

How old are you?

Where are you from?

NW Ohio

SusanDelgado
07-15-2010, 01:39 PM

My fiance handed me The Gunslinger and told me to read it. :)

It's a dead tie between Roland and Susan.

Well, I'm currently reading the fifth installment of the Dark Tower series, Wolves of Calla, but the fourth book, Wizard and Glass, is my favorite thus far.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Madison, AL

Do you have a nickname?

I have a lot of nicknames. Lol.

fernandito
07-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Greetings everyone to the best Dark Tower website on the intraweb ! :D

woodpryan
07-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Welcome Susan. Glad you could finally join us over here. Browse around, my love, and enjoy the awesome Palaver forums.
This is my Fiance everybody. Give her a big warm welcome.

Matt
07-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey Susan, welcome to the site. :thumbsup:

Any fiance of woodpryan is a fiance of ours. :lol:

woodpryan
07-15-2010, 02:47 PM

lol!

SusanDelgado
07-15-2010, 02:48 PM

Lol! Thankee sai for the welcome. ^_^

Long days and pleasant nights.

alinda
07-15-2010, 03:26 PM
hey, welcome nice to meet you.:dance:

10luluff
07-16-2010, 07:43 AM
i discoverd the dark tower by reading the talisman and black house it got me interested and i wanted to find out more.question: is the place beyond black house where the breaker tyler was rescued by jack sawyer the same world that roland came from?:beat: my favourite characters are roland and susannah.:cowboy: i cant decide between the drawing of the three and wolves of the calla:clap: im 35:scared:

SusanDelgado
07-16-2010, 11:56 AM
i discoverd the dark tower by reading the talisman and black house it got me interested and i wanted to find out more.question: is the place beyond black house where the breaker tyler was rescued by jack sawyer the same world that roland came from?:beat: my favourite characters are roland and susannah.:cowboy: i cant decide between the drawing of the three and wolves of the calla:clap: im 35:scared:

Welcome!! :excited:

Matt
07-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Hey 10luluff, welcome to the site. Not sure on your question but I bet it has been discussed somewhere! :lol:

Jon
07-17-2010, 11:55 PM

aliensatemybrain
07-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Hi guys, just come across the site today by accident (or was it ka? :p) and it seems like a great site so I thought I best get the obligatory introduction out of the way.

How did you discover the Dark Tower? Every time my mum comes to visit she usually brings me five or six books shes picked me up from markets and the like from authors she know I like, Stephen King being one of those, in any case she once bought me 'The Drawing of the Three' I read the blurb on the back and it seemed like a good read but since it was the second installment it put me off as I wanted to begin with the first. So it stayed on my bookshelf until I come across a copy of 'The Gunslinger' in a book shop, read that and instantly started on the second book. And now I find myself three quarters of the way through 'Wizard and Glass' and loving every minute of it.

Who is your favorite charcter? Got to be Roland so far :thumbsup:

What is your favorite book? Well still on the fourth book in the DT series but Wizard and Glass is shaping up to be the best i've read in the series.

How old are you? 31

Where are you from? Wirral, England.

do you have a nickname? Al :D

KnightbyNight
07-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi all.

I discovered The Dark Tower as a recommendation from my father. I've always been a Clint Eastwood fan, and had just read my first SK book, The Running Man which I quite enjoyed. I was about 13 at the time. Dad suggested I read either The Talisman or The Gunslinger next. He owned the original version, before King revised it, and it had Michael Whelan's wonderful image of Roland with a falcon landing on his shoulder on the cover. That and the first line hooked me immediately.

Roland has always been my favorite character. I felt connected mentally with him, though perhaps it was merely my imagination. Oy would be a close second.

I personally have a hard time deciding between The Gunslinger and The Dark Tower as my favorites, though saying that I truly prefer either of these over all the rest is a lie. They were all magnificent.

I am 22, and from Indiana originally. I've been in PA for a few years now and will be moving to MA soon.

My middle name is Shadrach, and my parents have always called me Shade, and thus so do most other folks.

Matt
07-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Hey Al and Shade, it is great to meet both of you and I'm really glad you found our site. :thumbsup:

Let us know if you need any help getting around.

saraz
07-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone. I'm Sara. I've been lurking on here since I started reading the books and thought I'd join in.

How did you discover the Dark Tower? My boyfriend is a huge Stephen King fan and told me about the series. I promised I would read The Dark Tower if he would read Harry Potter. I didn't think I would get so sucked in, but I definitely did.

Who is your favorite charcter? Mr. Eddie Dean is my favorite character, hands down.

What is your favorite book? Can I cheat and say it is a tie between Wizard and Glass and Drawing of the Three? If I can't then I would have to say Wizard and Glass by a nose.

How old are you? I am 22 years young.

Where are you from? Southern California.

TheDarkWanderer
07-20-2010, 03:32 PM

I've always liked Spaghetti westerns along with Fantasy and Sci-Fi. Two guys at my work where really huge Stephen Kings and told me I needed to check out The Dark Tower. After several times of hear'n them plead and beg I bought the Gunslinger....been following the BEAM ever since.

Roland

The Gunslinger

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Born and raised in Flint, Michigan

Do you have a nickname?

Nope.

Matt
07-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Welcome to the site Dark Wanderer. It is always great to see someone that lists The Gunslinger as their favorite book. :thumbsup:

Dr Krentist
07-21-2010, 12:37 PM

I popped my King cherry in 6th grade with Salem's Lot, been hooked ever since. My mom recommended I read TDT and I received it for christmas one year.

Short answer: My mom

Roland for sure.

If we're talking TDT then The Wastelands w/ Wizard and Glass as a close second.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Small King-esque town in NH called Candia.

do you have a nickname?

I have an autograph from Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson where he calls me Brain. But that's not so much of a nickname as a foolish misspelling on his part.

LadyHitchhiker
07-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Greetings Dr! How was the Rock in person???? I am a huge fan!

Dr Krentist
07-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks Lady. I actually didn't meet the rock. The company my mom works for was delivering some buses to one of his movie sets. I gave them one of my dvds for him to sign if they saw him, which they did. I assume he must have been nice enough if he took the time out to write an autograph for me though.

uckleduckle
07-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Hello all....
How did you discover the Dark Tower? I was a long time King fan, and some random guy my freshman year of college lent me the first 3. After that, everything went 19.

Who is your favorite character? There are so many! Jake is great.

What is your favorite book? Insomnia

How old are you? thirtysomething

Where are you from? born and raised in west michigan, now outside chicago.

do you have a nickname? Uh, no?

I'm about to start my summer re-read of the series and got a hankering for other Unfound friends.

Brice
07-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Welcome friends! :)

HuskerAlum05
07-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Thrilled to find this site! I love the Dark Tower series...I have been reading Stephen King since I was like 10. But never had any interest in reading the DT until I happened to pick up a copy of Wizard and Glass that had been laying around my mom's house forever. After that, I was hooked.

Favorite character is probably Eddie...and Oy!

Favorite book is The Drawing of the Three

Name is Susan...a lot of people call me Suzie or Suze...29 years old, from Nebraska originally (Go Big Red)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-23-2010, 11:44 PM
You are well met Husker Alum, and as a TT alum I must say, the big 12 will miss you guys.

Matt
07-24-2010, 02:43 AM
Welcome Husker and uckleduckie, I'm glad you guys found us. Hope you enjoy the site. :thumbsup:

primroseburrows
07-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Hey, all,

I used to post on dtnet a few years ago, and wasn't sure where it had gone. Nice to see y'all back here! Forgive the long and rambling "how did you discover" part. It's an edited c/p from my livejournal, where I tend to get wordy.

Way back in 1994, I saw a trailer for The Stand miniseries. Hmm, said I, this looks interesting. Think I'll watch it, but OMG, it's on in just a couple of weeks but of course it was a book first and I always have to read the book first. And of course, I'd never read the book because eww, it was Stephen King and I had never even dreamed of reading Stephen King, because, well, I just didn't read all that horror stuff (Now I lecture people who say they "don't like Stephen King" without reading a word he wrote). Give me a multi-book Arthurianesque fantasy series over that stuff, any day (a short pause here for retroactive facepalming, please). But I decided to read The Stand anyway because I wanted to see the series and my purism won out.

So I did--I read it at the stove, in the car, in the bathroom, at my mother's house, my friends' houses, the Newport Folk Festival, because I just couldn't put the damn thing down. It was like a hundreds-of-pages-long jawdrop. And I was gone, completely captivated by the story and SK's writing style. When I finished, I did what I always do when I find a new author (Stephen King as New Author pretty much illustrates my knack for Finding Things Late)--obsessively hunted for anything else he'd written that I could get my hands on. What I got my hands on first was The Gunslinger. Thus began my epic love affair with Roland's story (which, surprise! Is a multi-book fantasy series with connections to Arthur) and also gave me a love for dark fantasy that I still have today.

Eddie Dean, no contest.

The Waste Lands

How old are you?

49 *cringe*

Where are you from?

The green fields of Amerikay, specifically New England.

Do you have a nickname?

primrose or prim (lowercase, for some reason), around the net. IRL, not really, because there's not a nickname for Kelly I can really tolerate (pleaseohplease do not attempt to find me one).

Jon
07-25-2010, 08:44 AM
WELCOME!

Patricia
07-26-2010, 07:42 AM
I read The Eyes of the Dragon in 4th grade, and after that I was hooked on SK. I found The Gunslinger a year or two later, and promptly devoured the rest of the series that was published, I think the first three.

Who is your favorite charcter? Oy! Also Roland, of course.

What is your favorite book? I don't think I can choose one...they all run together in my mind into a continuous thread.

How old are you? 29

Where are you from? Northern California originally, now Southern California

do you have a nickname?
Not really...sometimes "P" but that is about it.

Nonline
07-27-2010, 01:39 AM
I am Felix, living in Belgium, but on a two month internship in Sapporo (Japan) right now.

- A year ago I was in Austria and I went to a bookstore to buy myself something to read. And by coincidence it was a book of Stephen King (Duma Key). And I thought that book was just wonderful and I wanted to read more of him. And after a few books I saw that he had a series of 7 books called the Dark Tower. Since I tend to like series I thought, let's give it a try and I finished the last one 10 minutes ago. The Dark Tower is Magnificent.

- Roland, the big mistery! He surprises me all the time and it's just wonderful. I'm also a big fan of Oy (and Jake).

- Difficult to say. I just read them the one after the other, so it weren't really seperate books for me. But I think "Wizard and Glass" and "Wolves of the Calla" were just a little better than the other ones.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Belgium

Do you have a nickname?
Flix-it, but Felix is fine ;-)

alinda
07-27-2010, 04:41 AM
My goodness, I am delighted to see how many new mwmbers we are getting! Welcome everybody. It is amazing that in just 12 days there are 13 new folk posting.
I hope that you will all stick around, let us get to know each other . There is much to do here, and I am sure that you'r going to love it here. Welcome again. :grouphug:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Welcome Felix, Patricia and Kelly, make yourself at home.

lordmerchant
07-28-2010, 09:33 AM
he, my name is rob, I got into reading dark tower after borrowing the gunslinger off my friend two weeks ago. I am now 2/3's of the way through the wastelands and absolutely loving it.
I'm sure I have not been introduced to all characters (not by a long shot) but so far I have to say Roland is probably my favourite..his revelations and traits keep surprising me.
I am 24 years old an live in the north-east of england

turtlex
07-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Welcome to the site, Rob.

Just a quick warning ... since you're not done with the series yet, beware of SPOILERS on the books you haven't completed!

RainInSpain
07-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi everyone!

First things first: thanks, Matt, for helping me register! :thumbsup:

This is gonna be long :)
Back in 1995, I was on student exchange program in Sweden. First time in another country on my own - no parents to run crying to, no friends (yet) (and no insurance :scared:) As ka would have it, on my second week in Sweden I caught - of all things! - chickenpox. That was a scary thing to have at the age of 19 - extremely high fever, everything aches, etc., etc.

Other students at my dorm took pity on me - brought things to eat, helped with my Swedish studies, and - brought me books! For some reason, there was a lot of Jane Austen (probably every girl who studied English as a second language has read her books at some point) - and don't get me wrong, her books are great - but I was not the type to enjoy them. So they did not exactly relieve my misery.

One day, however, someone brought me a worn paperback which did not look like another JA masterpiece at all. Just two words: "The Gunslinger" were written on its cover. I opened it... and here I am now, 16 years later :rose:

An interesting result of my having read it in such circumstances is that I know to a month when I became Tower junkie - Feb 1995.

Roland and Cuthbert. Also Aileen (in graphic novels). And I've got a soft spot for the Tick-Tock Man :P

The Gunslinger and The Waste Lands are probably favs - but I love them all!

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Russia, St.Petersburg

do you have a nickname?
No - somehow they just do not stick.

alinda
07-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Hello and welcome new friends.:rock: I am excited, and happy to make yoiur aquaintence.

ArikRattlehead
07-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Hey guys!
Well, I've wanted to join the dark tower forums for a while now, but since I haven't finished all of the books, i was really scared of spoilers, so i didn't join the forums until now.

Well, I've finished the last of the books around five minutes ago. And I still have the shivers.

I've been reading the dark tower series for about 2 and a half years now, and finished just now because, well, i didn't have a lot of time and the book didn't really grab me by the throat up until the half of the seventh book (although when i read the first book it was so good that i skipped school for the whole day just to finish it).

Well, that's that. Hope I won't have a hard time fitting in :P

alinda
07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi, :D Your a tower junkie, you can fit in just fine.:clap:Welcome.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't think anyone would have a hard time fitting in here. We literally have all types, and there is something for everyone. Welcome!

Matt
07-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Hey RainInSpain, glad you made it onto the site. Great to meet you again.

And they are right Arik, everyone fits in because we all float down here. :lol:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Hmmmm........know what else floats?:evil:

Matt
07-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Hope?

:cowboy:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Nope.

Letti
07-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Hey guys!
Well, I've wanted to join the dark tower forums for a while now, but since I haven't finished all of the books, i was really scared of spoilers, so i didn't join the forums until now.

Well, I've finished the last of the books around five minutes ago. And I still have the shivers.

I've been reading the dark tower series for about 2 and a half years now, and finished just now because, well, i didn't have a lot of time and the book didn't really grab me by the throat up until the half of the seventh book (although when i read the first book it was so good that i skipped school for the whole day just to finish it).

Well, that's that. Hope I won't have a hard time fitting in :P

Well if you are here just five minutes after you finished the book.. I don't think you will have any problems here. :D Long days and pleasant nights, sai. :rose:

Nicidemus
07-31-2010, 04:41 AM

I've loved King's books ever since I was stuck in crappy spanish apartment for 2 weeks when I was 13 with only my parents and a legion of ants for company. Fortunately I found an old hardback copy of Skeleton Crew in a draw and the time flew by. Been a fan ever since and eventually got round to The Dark Tower.

Roland, hands down. Cool, calm and collected

I would have to say the gunslinger

How old are you? 31

Where are you from? Bangor, Northern Ireland

do you have a nickname? Not yet.....

alinda
07-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Hello and welcome to the site. We may eventually come up
with a NICK NAME FOR YOU.:wtf:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Nick it shall be.

Kieron
08-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Hi all,

Finally got round to joining up a month ago and now that I'm off work at last I thought it was time I introduced myself. I work as a translator and English teacher in Bilbao, Spain, but I'm originally from the UK. Started reading SK's books when I was about 12 and 'It' was the first hardcover book I ever bought new (I was 14 and had to save up 3 weeks wages from a Saturday job- it's still my all-time favourite). Drifted away from SK during my twenties but rediscovered him six years ago when someone lent me a dog-eared paperback of 'The Gunslinger'. I hadn't read it before as I was a horror snob back in the day and wouldn't read something that smelt to me of fantasy. Suffice it to say that I was hooked and went through all 7 DT books over the course of the next couple of months. I then bought up reading copies of pretty much the entire back catalogue and read (or re-read) the lot, and from there I started collecting.
Special thanks to David at Betts for pushing me towards this site- I'd been aware of it for a few years but was slightly intimidated by the size of the site and by the level of knowledge and expertise you guys have. Still, since I know a lot of you already from sites like skfakes and skcollector, I decided it was time to stop being such a wuss and take the plunge. Here goes with the questions:

Eddie's the one I identify with most, but since for me characterisation is probably SK's strongest point, it's hard to choose.

The Drawing of the Three

How old are you? 38

Where are you from? Rochester, Kent in England

do you have a nickname? Not since school. I guess my first name's odd enough already.

Matt
08-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Great to meet you Kieron, welcome to the site. :rock:

jhanic
08-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Kieron, welcome to this site. We've talked a bit on the other forums, so hopefully we'll hear more from you!

John

alinda
08-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Greetings Kieron , I note that you are a collector,
just wait till you see calvins corner then, your going to
love it I am sure.:cool:

Kieron
08-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys, and congrats on that 'Full Dark' proof, John- green with envy just doesn't begin to cover it- I'm septic. Alinda, I keep my collection at my mum's place in the UK, partly cause I live in a part of Spain that regularly hits 90%+ humidity and it makes book pages go like your finger after you've worn a band-aid in the bath and partly cause I'm a bad smoker. I'm visiting next week and hope to post pics of some of my stuff. I don't think there's anything you won't have seen before but it'll give me a warm, icky feeling to show off a bit.

HuskerAlum05
08-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone! And Brownings Childe...I will definitely miss the Big XII too, not real thrilled about this move lol

Jon
08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
WELCOME!!!

Walkingman79
08-10-2010, 01:08 PM
This will be my first post.I just finished the series last night and deciced I hadn't had enough yet so I found this site and am very exited.I wanted to introduce myself and assure you all that we are well met(say thank ya).:rose:

Jean
08-10-2010, 11:01 PM

Austiiin
08-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi all!

My name is Austin and I just joined this forum - HooRay! I'm looking forward to contributing to the discussions and feeding my DT addiction!

I was never a big reader when I was younger. Once I finished college, I got a job working in a cubicle for 50+/hours a week. Isn't that every child's dream? Go to college, get in debt over your head, graduate valedictorian of your class THEN you get to sit in a box 5 days a week for the next 40 years. So, I had to find an outlet to keep my sanity and make the time pass quickly. I then discovered audiobooks - my favorite invention right after A/C. I believe I'm on my 4th "read" of the DT series and I still find hidden gems in the story that I never picked up the first few times around.

I only read/listen to fantasy books for the most part. Basically anything that is intended for a preteen/young adult will more than likely hold my attention, but if anyone ever has a suggestion of a good book (or a good voice Actor), please don't hesitate to let me know!

Favorite Character: Eddie Dean
Favorite Book: The Wastelands (which happens to be the book I'm currently on, again)
Hometown: St. Petersburg, FL though I currently reside in Orlando
Nickname: N/A

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Allow me to be the first to welcome you Austin. Long days and pleasant nights.

Jean
08-16-2010, 11:52 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcomeBear01.gif

chtorrwar19
08-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Hallo everyone :) Im a 19yrold uni dropout currently living in the beautiful city of Wellington, New Zealand and have been a loud and proud Tower Junkie for the last 8yrs...boy howdy do I feel like I've come home looking round this fantastic site

My favourite character is and always has been Cuthbert, and my eventual addiction to the Tower was inevitable, my parents are Stephen King junkies themselves, and the series was kept on the same shelf as LOTR and Narnia - I really had no choice in the matter :P

Jean
08-17-2010, 09:26 AM

detroitdave
08-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Hello Everyone,

I just joined the site today and am excited to be here. I'm in the midst of my own Dark Tower adventure and am just enthralled with the story. I picked up the Gunslinger for the first time back in the early 90's. I was out of college and could finally read for enjoyment..rather than obligation. I had knocked out a few other SK classics (Pet Sematary, It, The Stand). Honestly, I started The Gunslinger a couple of times before it really "stuck" and I finished it. After that I quickly trekked through Drawing of the Three, and The Wastelands. Unfortunately...I had to wait another 5 years or so for the next installment Wizard and Glass to come out. As soon as it hit the shelves, I had it in my hand and I believe it took me only a couple of days to complete it. Long story short..that's where it ended for me. Time went by, family, job, etc. and I drifted away from Mid World for many years. I just returned a few weeks back and started the journey again from the beginning. This time with the whole story..beginning to end...waiting for me.

Favorite Character: Roland...of course :)
Favorite Book: The Wastelands (which I just concluded last night)
Hometown: Southgate, MI (currently living in Brownstown Twp, another southern suburb of Detroit)
Nickname: None that I know of..??

deadohsky
08-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Hello Everybody!

Obviously just joined today. Only been lurking for about 3 days but it looks like the PERFECT Stephen King forum.

How did you discover the Dark Tower? -- Discovered the book thanks to the library i inherited from my farther. Sarcasm aside; i found this forum with the routine google search of 'The Dark Tower'. A few months ago i really got back into reading. The majority of books i have are Stephen King (thanks to my father). I was (am) a member of the official (SK) forum, but dislike how heavily moderated it is so i don't post there that often. This is the type of forum i was looking for.

What is your favorite character? -- Honestly, too early to tell. I just finished The Gunslinger and am about 100 pages into The Drawing of the Three. Out of all Stephen King, i'm really not sure, very tough choice, MAYBE Flagg, will update if i ever make a solid choice.

What is your favorite book? -- For King, so far, The Stand, that is very possible to change when i am done with The Dark Tower. Other authors, off the top of my head i would say Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I am a very indecisive person with most things.

How old are you? -- Mere youngin', only 24.

Where are you from? -- Little town not far from Omaha, Nebraska. Saving to move to New York in about 6 months though (hopefully).

Do you have a nickname? -- Only nickname i have had has been 'cheech' haha.

Jean
08-19-2010, 10:07 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcometeddy8.gif