PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Hannah
02-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Long days and pleasant nights. I'm a musician from the UK. For the last four years I have been working on a project to interpret the Dark Tower series into music. The project is nearly two thirds completed. My aim in joining this site (apart from discussing sai King's greatest work) is to promote my work, hopefully I will be able to bring my project to a larger audience of DT lovers.

How did you discover the Dark Tower?
I was a long time Constant Reader but not a DT fan (a state of mind I cannot even imagine now!) despite my elder brother's constant nagging. It wasn't until my friend bought me The Gunslinger (revised) for my birthday that I ventured on the greatest literary adventure of my life.

Who is your favorite charcter?
Roland is an easy answer, but aside from him I'd probably choose Eddie.

What is your favorite book?
The Drawing of the Three without doubt.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Lots of different places in England

do you have a nickname?
My musical moniker is Fingers T

I checked out your music earlier and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the site!

Jean
02-09-2010, 03:03 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/15410AD14082-Welcome-Bear_4.jpg

Eddie of Eld
02-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Hey all, I'm Tyler.

I received 1-4 for Christmas last year (I think) from my mom, who gave up on the second book. I was instantly addicted from page 1 of the Gunslinger.

Who is your favorite character?
It's a really close draw between Roland and Eddie. I would actually say Cuthbert, but Eddie is pretty much Bert, so Eddie may be number one, Roland an extremely close second

Probably Wolves of the Calla

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Indiana

do you have a nickname?
Ty

turtlex
02-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Hey Ty !!

Welcome to the site !!

Jean
02-09-2010, 10:58 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome650-7horse.jpg

Kronz
02-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Hi. Been browsing these boards once in a while for years when I came across something I was looking for answers to but only yesterday decided to sign up. I've been reading Dark Tower books since 1992 and have always ranked them among my favorite books. Even though I am not as thrilled with the rushed ending trilogy as I might have been, I've really enjoyed them every time I read them. Over the last 18 years I have managed to read all but maybe four of King's novels, most of those being the newer ones. Reading Under the Dome last Fall got me in the mood to read all seven DT books in one go, something I never did. When the final trilogy came out, I had read teh first four often enough I didn't feel I needed to read them again at the time. Reading the four again before the last three though makes a big difference for me, the action is so compacted it was very exciting going through all seven straight through (took about a month and a half to find the time for it all). Anyway I'll fill out the questions best I can:

Discovered King in 8th grade when I was looking for something fun to read after school and found The Dark Half. I really liked it, so I checked out a stack of other stuff from the library. I think my first big haul had Night Shift and DT1 and DT2 in it and I read them all voraciously. When I got to Waste Lands it was easily the most exciting book I'd ever read. Since then I've read many better books but few if any have given me that sense of wonder the first run through Waste Lands did. I read the first three DT books three or four times each waiting for Wizard and Glass to get written.

Roland. Eddie in the final trilogy is also really great, though I was not as impressed prior to that. Basically when Eddie stopped mentioning Henry constantly he got more interesting.

What is your favorite (*Dark Tower) book?

The Gunslinger, since it can stand on its own and has absolutely no boring or irritating sections at all to me. The other books each have a page or three I could stand to see trimmed. I would probably not pick any of the seven novels as my all time favorite book though, that would be harder to pick. Though King is my favorite author I might not pick one of his as my all time favorite. If I did though it's probably It.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Salem, Oregon and London, Ontario

do you have a nickname?

Kronz, unsurprisingly

Jean
02-10-2010, 12:23 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome20bear.jpg

Matt
02-10-2010, 05:43 AM
I love a detailed introduction Kronz, glad you decided to join up.

Welcome to the site

Jon
02-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Welcome!

Brice
02-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Welcome! :)

Jon
02-14-2010, 08:57 PM
WELCOME!

Diana
02-15-2010, 04:03 PM
I cannot believe this is my first time on this site. I have been a huge Dark Tower fan for over 10 years, I even made a DT website ages ago: http://www.angelfire.com/realm/thedarktower/. I never finished it.... mainly since darktowercompendium fulfilled all my website needs :D. I am kicking around ideas for a DT tattoo, I think mostly cus I just need MORE of it.

I always liked Stephen King's books (well, since I was in highschool anyways). A trip to the library found me The Drawing of the Three. I started reading that first (crime!) but very soon I realized I needed the first one. From there I just kept going, uncontrollably.

Definitely Roland.

I really want to say Gunslinger because it started it all for me. Emotionally the Gunslinger is my fave. But I think the Drawing of the Three blew my mind.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Vancouver, Canada

do you have a nickname?

Dianasaur?

Matt
02-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Hey Diana--great to meet you.

I'm so glad you decided to join up. :thumbsup:

Brice
02-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Welcome! It's great to have you join us. :)

Hannah
02-15-2010, 07:35 PM
I cannot believe this is my first time on this site. I have been a huge Dark Tower fan for over 10 years, I even made a DT website ages ago: http://www.angelfire.com/realm/thedarktower/. I never finished it.... mainly since darktowercompendium fulfilled all my website needs :D. I am kicking around ideas for a DT tattoo, I think mostly cus I just need MORE of it.

I always liked Stephen King's books (well, since I was in highschool anyways). A trip to the library found me The Drawing of the Three. I started reading that first (crime!) but very soon I realized I needed the first one. From there I just kept going, uncontrollably.

Definitely Roland.

I really want to say Gunslinger because it started it all for me. Emotionally the Gunslinger is my fave. But I think the Drawing of the Three blew my mind.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Vancouver, Canada

do you have a nickname?

Dianasaur?

Dianasaur. :lol: That's so cute.

You should check out our dark tower tattoo thread ... it's around here somewhere.

Jon
02-16-2010, 10:40 PM
WELCOME!

SynysterSaint
02-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Welcome Dianasaur!

turtlex
02-17-2010, 06:30 AM
Welcome Diana ... Hey, though I could only see one - I love the map you have on your angelfire site!

TodashSpaceDweller
02-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Hello. I'm a Forum noob, so i figured practice makes perfect so here i am. This seems like a good place to start because I love the Dark tower so much!

My Dad used to read tons of stephen king, when he was younger. i was always interested and i saw IT as a kid. it scared the hell out of me and that turned me off for a awhile. last year I first read the novel and thenwatched the film. Book is so much better!!!! anyway i discovered that many of his other novels had lots of connections to this one series of his, The Dark Tower. I decided to pick up the first one and fell inlove with it. that wasen't long ago and I'm actually only finishing wolves of the calla so... yeah. I plan to tackle alot of other king connecting books though (ie. Insomnia, Hearts in Atlantis, The Stand and maybe Rose Madder)

I love Oy. the idea of the ka-tet having a sort of pet is awesome! but he's so much more than that also. i love when he copies what people say and he's really brave at times also. great stuff

The Wastelands. lots of great adventuring around Mid-world and great characters to meet in that one. (sort of a Spoiler here) the cliffhanger ending is brilliant.

How old are you?
17 in April

Where are you from?
Toronto Canada

do you have a nickname?
Not really...

Hannah
02-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the site, Todash! :)

WR_Orion
02-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Suppose since I'm visiting here every day, and now posting a bit here and there, I figured I should introduce myself.

A roommate introduced me to TDT back when I was in college in the early 90's. I read the first 3 books then and was crushed to learn there were no more!
Then, completely by accident, I discovered a few months ago that there were in fact more books and the series had been completed! I bought #4 myself, then made sure my kids knew to get me 5,6 and 7 for Christmas. I finished DT VII a week or so ago. Mixed emotions and am certainly going through what I saw someone refer to here as Post DT Depression or something similar?

Ah, well Roland of course! Although that might change after I re-read 1-3. It has been nearly 20 years.

Out of the last 4 of the DT series I'd say W&G. As above though, we'll see after I refresh my memory of 1-3.

How old are you?
As of 2/2010 I'm 37, I think, although I forget sometimes, really.

Where are you from?
USA - Born in AZ, grew up and went to college in OK and have lived in IL since 93.

do you have a nickname?
Not really. Always use Orion as a forum name as a mythological hunter reference.

Looking forward to wasting, errr spending some quality work time here with all of you of similar interests.
So, Nice to meetcha

maverick1012
02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
hi everyone!

im a long time stalker first time poster so here goes!

i went through a King phase in high school and discovered it on my own, luckily by the time i had discovered it he had already written all but the final book! so i only had to wait a couple months for the last book

jake chambers by a mile

the gunslinger, theres just nothing like it

How old are you?

Where are you from?
NJ, usa

do you have a nickname?
i use my horse's name for everything, so Maverick =)

:panic:

AlishaRiley
02-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Welcome to the site, Maverick. :couple:
make yourself at home.

Hannah
02-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Welcome to the site, Orion! I think we've already met in the LOST threads. :D

Welcome to the site, Maverick! Your horse looks enormous in your avatar. :lol:

Jon
02-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Welcome, folks!

maverick1012
02-19-2010, 10:54 AM
thanks for the welcoming words!

Hannah- yea he's a big dude and the camera angle isnt helping!! :lol:

candy
02-19-2010, 11:13 AM
welcome all!! friends and fellow fantatics:couple:

Bethany
02-20-2010, 06:44 PM
so...hi. again. :wtf:
everything that's old is new again and all that jazz.

Matt
02-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Bethany! :huglove:

How are you? Great to see you.

Bethany
02-20-2010, 07:21 PM
i'm GREAT matty!
it's been a long, strange journey but i am doing wonderful now.

Brice
02-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Welcome home B! :wub:

alyssa
02-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Let's see....I discovered the Dark Tower while my now Husband was in Iraq for the first time. I was just getting into Stephen King when I found The Gunslinger. I completely fell in love with the Dark Tower and they will always be my favorite!

ROLAND! I think its because he is the main character and he is so passionate about his mission.

The entire Dark Tower Series are my favorite!

How old are you?
I am 23.

Where are you from?
I live in Mississippi...don't judge! ;)

Now I have a question.....Does anybody know where I can purchase the entire box set of the Dark Tower?? I am dying to own them all!

Matt
02-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Grant books sells them all as a set I think alyssa. If not, you can sure put together the collection piece by piece on Ebay. Check our collectors forum for more info on which to buy.

Welcome to the site, its great to meet you.

Brice
02-22-2010, 05:10 AM
Hi Alyssa! Welcome! There is no complete box set. There is a hardcover limited set done by Grant of the first three books and a signet paperback boxed set of the first four. I think you'll have to put all seven together yourself.

turtlex
02-22-2010, 05:42 AM
Welcome to the site, everyone !!

:grouphug:

Jon
02-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Welcome!

David
02-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Hi, all.. I'm David. Patrick eats awfuly-named gimmick breakfast-foods, and... well... Hi...

left789
02-25-2010, 05:49 AM
On a trip out west, I listed to The Gunslinger on tape.

Hard to say

Wizard in Glass

How old are you?
mid 30's

Where are you from?
West By God Virginia

do you have a nickname?
King

Dagavidiab
02-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Well, i recently found this place and iīm loving it!

My father is a constant reader... Of everything! Itīs because of him that i read Apocalypsis at the age of 12 i believe... A couple of years latter, i saw this book (DT) in a library..., and the rest is history!

.................Freaking Roland!

Thereīs a lot of them! Not only SK bookīs, i also enjoy Koontz, Masterton, Forsyth, Ludlum, Asimov, and a long long etc...

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Venezuela!

do you have a nickname?
Not really, but....., iīm Paintball player (scenario/woodsball)... In MY t-shirt team itīs my name, and the nickname: Gunslinger! (only in mine)

PD1: sorry for my english!!
PD2: my first post: Yupi!

Brice
02-25-2010, 06:44 AM
Welcome!

High_Desert_Gunslinger
02-25-2010, 08:33 AM
I am new to this website and I have to say its amazing. A perfect way to kill time during boring college lectures lol

Picked up the first book at a Barnes and Noble because I am a fan of Stephen King and it looked interesting

Roland of course, but also Cuthbert and Alain

So far I am only on the Wolves of the Calla but so far it would have to be Wizard & Glass just because of the insight it reveals on Roland's past

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Southern California, USA

Do you have a nickname?
Many lol a lot to list but here are a few: Emo Surfer, Jimmy Neutron, The One White Guy, ZT... the list goes on and on

I look forward to talking to most of you in these forums

Brice
02-25-2010, 08:52 AM
I am new to this website and I have to say its amazing. A perfect way to kill time during boring college lectures lol

Picked up the first book at a Barnes and Noble because I am a fan of Stephen King and it looked interesting

So far I am only on the Wolves of the Calla but so far it would have to be Wizard & Glass just because of the insight it reveals on Roland's past

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Southern California, USA

Do you have a nickname?
Many lol a lot to list but here are a few: Emo Surfer, Jimmy Neutron, The One White Guy, ZT... the list goes on and on

So you're saying there's already some of us you don't like? :unsure:

:lol:

Welcome! It's good to have you join us. :)

High_Desert_Gunslinger
02-25-2010, 09:25 AM

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Southern California, USA

Do you have a nickname?

Lmao you know what I meant. And thanks

SynysterSaint
02-25-2010, 11:06 AM

Awesome! I thought I was going to be the only college student here; I'm 18 [19 in April] and I go to the University of Connecticut. How about you?

I'm Matthew, by the way.

High_Desert_Gunslinger
02-25-2010, 12:30 PM

Awesome! I thought I was going to be the only college student here; I'm 18 [19 in April] and I go to the University of Connecticut. How about you?

I'm Matthew, by the way.

Nice to meet you. The name's Jimmy. I am 19 and a sophomore criminal psychology major at California State University Fullerton

Hannah
02-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi, all.. I'm David. Patrick eats awfuly-named gimmick breakfast-foods, and... well... Hi...

It seems that I may recognize your avatar! :couple: How the H are you?

Also, welcome to the site left789, and Dagavidiab! :D

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Southern California, USA

Do you have a nickname?

It's you, Brice. :P

Welcome to the site, High Desert Gunslinger - which I will now abbreviate to HDG because that's way too long to type.

Hannah
02-25-2010, 12:41 PM

I'm Matthew, by the way.

Nice to meet you. The name's Jimmy. I am 19 and a sophomore criminal psychology major at California State University Fullerton

My sister in law teaches there. Awesome. :D

Dagavidiab
02-25-2010, 12:52 PM
[quote=David;488119]

Thank you!

Matt
02-25-2010, 01:20 PM

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Southern California, USA

Do you have a nickname?

Great to meet you High, welcome to the site.

This place is by far the best Dark Tower site for wasting time and having fun. Let us know if you need any help finding anything.

Letti
02-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Welcome gunslingers! :rose:

Flavio
02-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Hello! I am Flavio!

My mother bought me one of the books... The Fifth one to be exact... here... I mean, in spanish, it comes in two parts... she bought the part two... :arg::pullhair:

Jake, sure...

The number 2, "La llegada de los 3" In Spanish

How old are you?
15 and 3 months

Where are you from?
Sydney, Australia, but I live in Cordoba, Argentina. ><

do you have a nickname?
:nope:

Woofer
02-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Welcome Flavio! Long days and pleasant nights.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/562/SibeWelcomeMat.jpg

Dagavidiab
02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
The number 2, "La llegada de los 3" In Spanish

Itīs "La Invocación" (1987), in 2003 was re-edited as "La llegada de los 3"

Anyway, nice move from your mom!!

thebumblerinblack
02-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey, Im Doug. I love Stephen King books, been reading them since the sixth grade, have read them all except for a small handful (needful things, dolores claiborne, christine, and Im sure a few other stories or lesser known work of his). I'm an artist, and I owe a lot of my style to Stephen King and his most amazing and equally disturbing genius.

A friend in high school, also a big King fan, told me he'd read the gunslinger and said it was good.

tough one, but Roland. Eddie is a close second, and Oy, of course.

The Drawing of the three or Wizard and Glass, I dont know which I like more.

How old are you?
twenty-eight

Where are you from?
I live in arizona, but I'm originally from Alaska.

do you have a nickname?
doug is my nickname

SynysterSaint
02-26-2010, 04:18 PM

Very cool. I was a physics major my first semester, but I've decided English is a better move for me (Stephen King is the author who really influenced my decision). If writing doesn't work out, I'm hoping I can be a musician (primarily electric bass guitar and viola).

SynysterSaint
02-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Hello! I am Flavio!

Where are you from?

Welcome to the site, Flavio! I think there's a thread you may find interesting. One of our other members, Ari Racing, who also lives in Argentina, recently took a trip up to America for an Under the Dome book signing and some other cool things. He documented his trip here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1980

I hope you have fun here; this is a great site!

SynysterSaint
02-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Hey, Im Doug.

A friend in high school, also a big King fan, told me he'd read the gunslinger and said it was good.

tough one, but Roland. Eddie is a close second, and Oy, of course.

Hello, Doug :clap: I'm Matthew. I got into The Gunslinger during high school the same way you did. My favorite characters are Roland, Eddie, and Oy, too, but in a different order. Welcome to the site!

Brice
02-27-2010, 02:01 PM

It seems that I may recognize your avatar! :couple: How the H are you?

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Southern California, USA

Do you have a nickname?

It's you, Brice. :P

Welcome to the site, High Desert Gunslinger - which I will now abbreviate to HDG because that's way too long to type.

</3

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Flavio
02-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Hello! I am Flavio!

Where are you from?

Welcome to the site, Flavio! I think there's a thread you may find interesting. One of our other members, Ari Racing, who also lives in Argentina, recently took a trip up to America for an Under the Dome book signing and some other cool things. He documented his trip here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1980

I hope you have fun here; this is a great site!

I will take a look at it, and, thank to all of you guys for being so nice...
Might you see double.
(Poor spanish-english translation i think, but I don't want to use the online translators, I hope that is not a crime here jeje)

SynysterSaint
02-27-2010, 08:10 PM
I will take a look at it, and, thank to all of you guys for being so nice...
Might you see double.
(Poor spanish-english translation i think, but I don't want to use the online translators, I hope that is not a crime here jeje)

Don't worry about it. We have plenty of users for whom English isn't their primary language; we understand. Not to mention your English is better than my Spanish would be :thumbsup:

Brice
02-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Hell, some of our foreign members speak and write better then most native speakers I know.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Hi, I'm Browning's Childe, I am the most awesomest person here........

With the possible exception of Brice

Brice
02-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Possible???

Nope, today you get to be the awesomest. :D

You've got about 20 more minutes so enjoy it. :lol:

Welcome everyone!

SynysterSaint
02-28-2010, 01:33 AM
Hell, some of our foreign members speak and write better then most native speakers I know.

I second that! :clap:

alinda
02-28-2010, 06:24 AM
Hello, and welcome to each of you . It is so cool that
every time I log on to the site, there are more & more
of us to say hello to. This may be a predjudiced view
but , I think this site is the best one one the www,
it also maybe soon that you all will agree, ;)

:grouphug:We're one big happy family here and I am
glad to welcome you to that family!

disel24
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
I had read almost all of Sk's books by the time I was 16 except for the DT series which at the time only had 3 books out with another to be released months after I picked up the series.

Roland with Eddie Dean being a VERY close second

Book 4 to me will always be the best, some of the mystery that surrounded Roland was peeled back and you got to see many of his firsts...

How old are you?
Old enough to know better but 31 if you really wanna know

Where are you from?
All over, currently I call Idaho home

do you have a nickname?
Of course I do :):P

SynysterSaint
03-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Book 4 to me will always be the best, some of the mystery that surrounded Roland was peeled back and you got to see many of his firsts...

do you have a nickname?
Of course I do :):P

Wizard & Glass was my favorite, too! I loved reading about Roland's past. I finally got to meet the mysterious "girl in the window" :excited:

We all have nicknames, so why don't you share yours? ;)

Jean
03-02-2010, 01:15 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/15410AD14082-Welcome-Bear_4.jpg

Brice
03-02-2010, 04:17 AM
Welcome back, diesel! :)

michalz00
03-02-2010, 04:24 AM
Hi, I'm Mike.

I was a fan of King's other works for a while but I had to force myself to finish The Gunslinger. I didn't like it at all. Then I read The Drawing of the Three and I was hooked ;) Finished the rest in three months. Now I love them all!

Eddie, for his sense of humour :)

The Drawing of the Three.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
I live in a beautiful town of Krakow (Poland) :)

Brice
03-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Hey Mike! It's good to have you with us. :)

Jean
03-02-2010, 05:10 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcomebearBt.jpg

michalz00
03-02-2010, 05:13 AM
Thank you guys for the warm welcome! :cool:

Dark_Tower_Junkie
03-02-2010, 06:11 AM
I really don't remember. I was just in Borders and trying to pick something up and I saw so many of the Gunslinger series...so I tried it...and loved every minute since.

Roland with Oy as a close second. I love how Oy responds to his ka-tet.

I enjoyed the Wolves of Calla a lot.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Michigan

do you have a nickname?
Slim Jim, :rock:

Thanks for this site...I am looking forward to a palaver with each of you.

turtlex
03-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the site, new friends !

Hannah
03-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Welcome to the site, everyone! We're glad to have you here. :grouphug:

Dark_Tower_Junkie
03-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks, it is good to find so many other DT fans on the web. These books are the most mesmerizing books I have read...close second is the Left Behind Series.

SynysterSaint
03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Welcome, everyone! :grouphug: We're all happy to have you here! Please, make yourself at home *pulls over some chairs*

[I feel like I was mimicking Hannah for a few seconds there...]

Dark_Tower_Junkie
03-04-2010, 05:12 AM
Just got Song of Susannah last night...I Cant wait to dive in.

SynysterSaint
03-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Just got Song of Susannah last night...I Cant wait to dive in.

SoS is a great book, but I would far from call it the best of the series. The best scene in it though is definitely:

Do you really think I would risk spoiling anything (even with tags)? Come on, Tower Junkies, give me a little more credit than that ;)

Hannah
03-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Welcome, everyone! :grouphug: We're all happy to have you here! Please, make yourself at home *pulls over some chairs*

:orely: Any usage of the English language is clearly mimicking me.

Why did I just feel like I was mimicking Brice right then?

Welcome to the site, Dark Tower Junkie! How exciting that you're about to read SoS for the first time. I wish I could read it for the first time again. :D

Dark_Tower_Junkie
03-04-2010, 01:27 PM

Welcome to the site, Dark Tower Junkie! How exciting that you're about to read SoS for the first time. I wish I could read it for the first time again. :D

Thanks Hannah...so far so very good. Already past page 200!

High_Desert_Gunslinger
03-04-2010, 03:18 PM

Thanks Hannah...so far so very good. Already past page 200!

Wow I started it last night and am at page 234 already... I had a class canceled today so I had a lot of great reading time lol great book so far

Ben Eads
03-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Welcome, High Desert Gunslinger! :cowboy:

Dark_Tower_Junkie
03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Almost done with SoS...only 30 pages left...then...bum bum bum...The Dark Tower...then depression when I am done. :cry:

SynysterSaint
03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Almost done with SoS...only 30 pages left...then...bum bum bum...The Dark Tower...then depression when I am done. :cry:

At first it isn't depression so much as an astounding "what the fuck" factor you ever experienced because you realize that your journey with Roland his Tet is finally over.

Dark_Tower_Junkie
03-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey, but there is always the graphic novels afterwords...plus news of another book soon is always great. :clap:

Dark_Tower_Junkie
03-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Why was my last message spammed?

KCTower
03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey everyone. My name is Kevin

I have always been a fan of SK and like him I was a big fan of the Lord of the Rings books. I was at the book store with my wife and the first 4 books were being sold as a series, so I thought I would give them a try. After reading 2 chapters of the Gunslinger I was hooked. I am actually about 150 pages away from finishing the series. I should finish tonight or tomorrow.

Oy. just kidding. Roland is the man, but I seem to connect with Eddie the most. (sorry for giving 3 answers) : )

Wizard and Glass (I wish he would write more books about times before the fall of Gilead)

How old are you? 28

Where are you from? Kansas City

do you have a nickname? Just call me KC, it's where I am from and my initials.

Hannah
03-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Why was my last message spammed?

For members with fewer than 10 posts all posts are run through a spam checker prior to the post being allowed. We created this system to deter spammers when we were getting almost 100 spammers per day signing up and posting. It's slowed down since then, but the system still will catch a legitimate post every now and then because it may have a word commonly used in spam posts in the legitimate post.

On the up side - our staff is pretty on top of those posts here so usually even if it does go into moderation we approve them pretty quickly. :D

Hannah
03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Hey everyone. My name is Kevin

I have always been a fan of SK and like him I was a big fan of the Lord of the Rings books. I was at the book store with my wife and the first 4 books were being sold as a series, so I thought I would give them a try. After reading 2 chapters of the Gunslinger I was hooked. I am actually about 150 pages away from finishing the series. I should finish tonight or tomorrow.

Oy. just kidding. Roland is the man, but I seem to connect with Eddie the most. (sorry for giving 3 answers) : )

Wizard and Glass (I wish he would write more books about times before the fall of Gilead)

How old are you? 28

Where are you from? Kansas City

do you have a nickname? Just call me KC, it's where I am from and my initials.

Welcome to the site, KC! :rock:

east-tennessee
03-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Hi I'm Brian...

I've read the DT series twice, I'd say its my favorite SK besides Salems lot...

I'm 47, hale from the hills of east tn.

Favorite DT book is The drawing of the three..

Fav character....Roland..

First SK read was Pet semetary...still one of my favs.

Nick name? sometimes Murph...

look forward to meeting friends on the site...

Matt
03-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Great to meet you east-tennessee, I think you'll find exactly what you are looking for.

Welcome to the site. :cowboy:

east-tennessee
03-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Hi Matt I'm sure I will enjoy myself here, thanks for the welcome... Im already aquainted with DAVID (wiz) and Juliana (fsmdr), lots of great info here. I would like to donate to the site and get my log in on the donatoin wall but my pay pal account is under a different e-mail? do I need to change my e-mail for this site to match my pal pal account for that to occur?

Matt
03-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Nope, not at all. You can pay from any address as long as it goes to:

havenfunds@thedarktower.org

I really appreciate the interest and anything you can give. You have already met two of our best for sure.

east-tennessee
03-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Donation sent........

Brian........nice to meet you MATT!!!!!:rock:

SynysterSaint
03-06-2010, 03:04 AM
Hi I'm Brian...

I've read the DT series twice, I'd say its my favorite SK besides Salems lot...

look forward to meeting friends on the site...

I've only read a handful of Stephen King books, but my favorite is still 'Salem's Lot as well. I'm glad to have you with us, Brian! Enjoy the site :cool:

Don't worry; you'll meet a lot of friends here. You've already met Matt, who is probably the best thing that has happened to The Dark Tower since Sai King. The rest will come along in time. It's 6AM for me right now, so I can't imagine too many East Coast users will be on anytime soon. But yes, the rest will come along :)

Brice
03-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Welcome Brian! :)

SS, you need to get busy with reading the rest.

alinda
03-06-2010, 06:07 AM
Hi east tennessee, nice to meet ya. welcome to the site. :D

Ben Eads
03-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Welcome, everyone! :ninja:

No worries, King is already talking about "The Dark Tower #8", as well as a sequel to "Black House."

There's always hope a novel will come out with some bearing on the story arc as well. :pirate:

alinda
03-06-2010, 08:41 AM
hey there ben, long time...welcome to you as well. :)

east-tennessee
03-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks for all the warm wishes...:rock:

DlGuiga
03-06-2010, 08:31 PM
How did you discover the Dark Tower? A few years ago I was bored at school and started reading The Shining from a friend, then I met SK and started reading everything that I can from him.

Who is your favorite charcter? Callahan, of course. I hadn't read Salem's Lot before reading the DT series, but he has always been my favourite character since his appearance in Wolves of the Calla. I also like the teenager Roland. His innocence is somewhat fascinating.

What is your favorite book? I think it's a tie between Wizard and Glass and The Dark Tower. The Mejis part was great, but it could have been shorter. Callahan' scene in the Dixie Pig was also really awesome, so I can't really pick only one book ><.

How old are you? 15

Where are you from? Brazil

do you have a nickname? DlGuiga is my nickname :P

east-tennessee
03-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Welcome DlGuiga.......15yrs old wow!! to be young again....
I believe I've read every SK published book, several 2-3 times. DT, Salems lot, Pet semetary , Dead zone, Desperation, The stand, IT and recenty Blaze are my favorites.... I like to re-read the books and watch the movies just after to see how closley they match..
My first book was Pet Semetary given to me by my cousin when I lived in Michigan, I remember waiting to go see the film at the theater the day it was released , 1989 I think...

Again welcome..

Brian..

Jon
03-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Welcome!!

Jean
03-07-2010, 01:05 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome01.jpg

alinda
03-07-2010, 05:01 AM
:rose: Welcome DlGuiga :rose:

Brice
03-07-2010, 05:04 AM

Ben Eads
03-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Welcome! :rock:

Mrs. Underwood
03-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Wow, it's been years since I did the message board thing, but I couldn't help myself. Mostly because... well... It's a Stephen King message board! I'm a huge fan and have been since I was 13 (I'm now 27, so that gives you an idea of how long) when I first read "The Langoliers". And yeah, been hooked ever since.

I used to buy all my books used from this little (albeit crappy) used bookstore locally. This was back when owning every Stephen King book under the sun was paramount. I had heard of his more famous works, but then I found this lonely, beat-up book called The Gunslinger. I'd never even heard of it, but I wanted to give it a chance, and I was immediately entranced by this bizarre, western/sci-fi/fantasy world. And Roland, too, of course. Heh.

Eddie. What can I say? I love the funny guys. They always instantly win my heart.

In the series or of King overall? I'll answer both! While I have a great deal of affection for all the Dark Tower books, The Wastelands was by far my favorite. I just love the crazy monsters in that one, as well as how close the ka-tet instantly became.

As for his books otherwise? It definitely takes the top spot.

How old are you?
*points above* 27 :)

Where are you from?
I'm a paranoid type who likes to be vague about that. The southern US. Because of that, it doesn't matter how much I know the characters in King's books are typically from New England... I always hear a Southern accent in my head. Silly, yes. Can I help it? No.

do you have a nickname?
Not really. But if you want to come up with something besides "Mrs. Underwood" (is it obvious I loved Larry from The Stand?), then that's fine. So long as it's not an insult. :p

Letti
03-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Mrs. Underwood, welcome to the site. :rose:
Your av is kickass.

Jon
03-08-2010, 10:41 AM
WELCOME

trig_troll
03-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Long time SK fan. Started re-reading DT this winter since there wasn't much else to do. Now I'm obsessed all over again. So... here I am.

This just caught my eye.... It's a headline in the New York Law Journal today...

"Estate's Lawsuit Proceeds Against Rare Book Dealer Over Unsold Lot"

I wonder if the book dealer's name is Tower...?

Bizarre huh?

Matt
03-08-2010, 12:53 PM
That is weird.

Welcome to the site trig, nice to meet you.

kennetc
03-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Howdy.

I began the DT series about 15 years ago (or something like that, its been long enough I do not remember so well). I already loved King, read the Stand during detention in 9th grade in 1984 and was hooked. I don't know how I found The Gunslinger but was hooked right away. Funny though, I can't seem to get through the last one. I'm stuck about half way through. Anyone else have this happen in DT7?

Teenage Roland is my favorite character and Drawing of the Three is my favorite in the series.

Will be 41 in May and live in Wyoming (there's more antelope here than people!).

Looking forward to making a few DT friends!

Ken

Hannah
03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Welcome to the site trig and Mrs. Underwood! :)

edit: Also, welcome kennetc (my neighbor to the north)! :D

kennetc
03-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks!

meaella
03-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey everybody. This is my first post here.

I've been reading Stephen King since I was a kid, but I didn't have much interest in the Dark Tower series until I happened to pick up The Eyes of the Dragon one day. I really liked the fantasy element, so I decided the give The Gunslinger a try.

Eddie's pretty great, and Oy, of course. And for some reason I ended up enjoying Mia, too.

The Wastelands and Wizard and Glass are my favorites of the series; The Shining is my favorite Stephen King book; and The Grapes of Wrath is my favorite book of all time.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Spokane, Washington.

Do you have a nickname?
Nope.

Hannah
03-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi Meaella! Welcome to the site. :)

Mrs. Underwood
03-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Thank you for the welcomes! I appreciate it. :D

Matt
03-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Hey everybody. This is my first post here.

I've been reading Stephen King since I was a kid, but I didn't have much interest in the Dark Tower series until I happened to pick up The Eyes of the Dragon one day. I really liked the fantasy element, so I decided the give The Gunslinger a try.

Eddie's pretty great, and Oy, of course. And for some reason I ended up enjoying Mia, too.

The Wastelands and Wizard and Glass are my favorites of the series; The Shining is my favorite Stephen King book; and The Grapes of Wrath is my favorite book of all time.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Spokane, Washington.

Do you have a nickname?
Nope.

Nice to meet you, welcome to the site. I love reading about how everyone decided to give The Dark Tower a go.

Dark_Tower_Junkie
03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Almost a quarter of the way through the Dark Tower (Book 7.) Sad part just passed by.:cry:

Brice
03-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Welcome everyone!

Jean
03-10-2010, 03:56 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome_bear_1.gif

theDedication
03-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Hey folks, first post here, will probably kill many hours pouring over the site while bored at work... so here I am

Big Fantasy fan, never read much of Stephen King's work before until I was looking for something to read and remembered a friend saying how much they enjoyed the Dark Tower. Just finished reading them for the third time.

Tough call, I like Cuthbert and Eddie the most I think. I like Cort too and wish there was more on Roland's youth I could sink my teeth into.

Of this series definitely Wizard and Glass.
All time is either The Dice Man - Luke Reinhart or The Godfather - Mario Puzo

How old are you?

Where are you from?
From Melbourne Australia, living in London, England

Do you have a nickname?
no

Reluctant Reader
03-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Hello!
HI! :)

I'm noticing that most of all the new sign ups are people I don't know. I say we introduce ourselves a bit here before the big launch.

answer any or all and add your own questions. :D

Awesome! Will do.

Many moons ago, I hired a new chef at a restaurant I worked at. He was/is a drummer and I was/am a bass player; "meant to be" you might say. He hounded me for months to "come over and jam". One day I did, and it we clicked immediately; totally solid backbeat from the 1. Then he started hounding me to read The Gunslinger, eventually giving me his own copy. It sat on a shelf for at least a year (he asked everyday if I'd begun reading it) before I actually picked it up. Not being much for books, it took me about a week to finish it, but that is saying a lot. The 'experience' was just as he'd described it - "You won't be able to put it down until you're done and when you get to that point, you'll be at my door in a minute to get the next book." Drawing of the Three and Wastelands are still like one book to me - I had them read before the summer was done and they were probably the biggest books I'd ever finished at that point of my life, so I was feeling pretty good and quite enveloped in the story of Roland and the strange world he lived in. Then I had to wait - my friend was not done reading Wizard and Glass, so I couldn't borrow it, and despite this story birthing a new found love for reading, I wasn't a changed man to the point that I went out and bought my own copy. When I got the 4th book, I knew the 5th (and on) were not written yet, so I savored every word, reading painstakingly slow, trying to pace my progress so I might finish around the time Wolves of the Calla came out - flawless execution on my part if I do say myself. :) Wolves was the first book of the Dark Tower series I purchased, but for some reason I couldn't delve into immediately. It sat on a shelf for a year or so. Looking back, I didn't want to start Wizard and Glass because I didn't want the history of Roland - I wanted to continue on the journey of Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake and Oy. Oddly enough, by the end of Wizard and Glass, I didn't want to go back to the journey - I wanted more of Roland's history! When I heard Song of Susannah was immenent, that lit a fire under my butt and I cranked out Wolves. My life was a mess at the time and all of these strange parallels in The Dark Tower were "appearing" in my own life. While many people cautioned me about "reading into" fiction and giving it breath in my own life, several friends admitted that they experienced similar situations while reading the series. Looking back, I chalk it up as a lesson in "a man sees what he wants to see". Upon finishing Wolves, I purchased Song of Susannah and cranked it out, then the final book, The Dark Tower; cranked it. I actually finished the series before my friend who had not only sold me on it, but started it years before me. He said he didn't want to finish it; it was his favorite story and too important to come to an end. Having finally completed the series we finally we're able to engage in glorious conversations about how great it is and since enjoy referencing it in an "every day" manner with a few arguements about who should play what parts if it ever gets made into a movie (Oh, man I can't wait!!!! J.J. Abrams, don't fail us now, LOL.).

Who is your favorite charcter?Eddie. From his first scene, transformation, to his last scene, I related to him. Definitely, Eddie.

What is your favorite book?Wizard and Glass ... if I have to pick one.

How old are you?36

Where are you from?Madison, WI

Do you have a nickname?LOL - if you thought that 1st paragraph was long; ...let's just say I have a lot of nicknames. :)

:dance: :nana: :excited: :onfire: :harrier: :cowboy:

Currently, I'm looking at a stack of Dark Tower comics and a list of Dark Tower related books that I have yet to even attempt to tackle, but the plan is to absorb all of those and then read the Dark Tower again. There has to be so much that I "missed" just from not having another reference point out of Stephen King's opus realm.

Matt
03-12-2010, 12:09 AM
That was a really great intro, welcome to the site Reluctant Reader. :thumbsup:

Jean
03-12-2010, 12:54 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome-Inner.jpg

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-12-2010, 01:41 AM
Welcome new tower junkies.

Eoin
03-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Hey what's up? First post so here we go.

Well a while back or not that long ago at all depending on who's reading this, everythings relative I guess. I was buried in a copy of King Lear when I came across the Fool's quote you know the one "Childe Rowland to the Dark Tower came." So super sleuth that I am, intrigued, I followed the trail to Brownings poem and then to Mr. Kings masterpiece and ain't I happy that I did. Intrigued to begin with I quickly became enthralled. Damn they are good but you probably could have guessed that I liked them being as that Im here. I doubt many people join to complain. From there I read more King most especially Those directly connected to the Tower itself and that behind me here I am now.

Who is your favourite character?
Hmmm a toughie Roland is magnificent but Eldred Jonas what a badass.

What is your favourite book?Wizards and Glass I guess. In terms of King's other works The Stand. Of all time now there's a hard one maybe Brave New World or something by Richard Brautigan or maybe not depends on my state of mind.

How old are you?21

Where are you from? Kerry, Ireland

Nicknames? Hell no.

Well there you go. It's a pleasure to be amongst diehard Tower junkies, see ye around.

Hannah
03-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Welcome to the site, Eoin! :D

alinda
03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
A harty hello & Welcome (from this page)
Ms Underwood
Darktower Junkie
The Dedication
Reluctant reader
and Eoin! :grouphug: It's a pleasure to meet you all.
Y'all are so going to love it here, welcome to the fold.:rock:

Jean
03-12-2010, 11:32 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcomebearB.jpg

Honkmafah
03-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Hello all, cool site.

I've always been a SK fan. Hands down my favorite author.

I tried to get into the DT series years ago and just couldn't. It was fantasy and I wasn't a fantasy minded kind of dude. A few years later, I started playing World of Warcraft and my metamorphosis into a card carrying nerd began. I soon came face to face with my closet curiosity of fantasy stories shortly thereafter and decided to give DT another try.

Although that said, I don't have much interest in fantasy novels outside of DT.

Cuthbert. I know Eddie is supposed to be a lot like Cuthbert, but ironically I can't stand Eddie (when he is attempting comedy) but Cuthbert cracks me up.

I didn't think I had any real feelings on Jake, but after he dies in book 7 I was a lot more upset than I would have thought I'd be.

Wizard and Glass, though I haven't even finished Book 7 yet, so maybe it will turn out to be my favorite. Almost done with it. The Stand is my favorite SK book.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

From Dallas, Texas but have been living on the coast of North Carolina for about 10 years.

do you have a nickname?

Honkmafah :evil:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-12-2010, 07:05 PM
So many new W & G fans. Welcome, together we will overcome "the others".

Love your name Honkmafah.

Welcome all.

Jon
03-13-2010, 01:10 AM
welcome!!!

Jean
03-13-2010, 01:20 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/WelcomeBearBs.jpg

Letti
03-13-2010, 01:20 AM

Haven't we yet? :)

Welcome you all. You will have a really good time here.

Dolso
03-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Hi All~

My first post here & actually the first time I've ever joined a forum. I'm just an old dog trying to learn new tricks.

Intro to Dark Tower?

I read Gunslinger when it first came out & spent YEARS waiting to finish the story. The wait seems to have been worth it.

Favorite Character?

I know it's not a DT character, but I loved Wolf.

Age?

55 (I think)

Favorite Book?

Seems to always be the last King book that I've read. For a long time it was the STAND, then I re-read Talisman, then re-read Gunslinger & it was top of the list, then Drawing of the Three..........I just can't seem to make up my mind.

Nicknames?

With the first name of Dick, I don't need any others.

turtlex
03-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Welcome new friends!

printz
03-14-2010, 05:14 AM
Hi everybody!!

Hearts in atlantis was the first king novel I read....then I started finding lots of references in other books on Middle world....I finally got to the Gunsliger and then it was too late to come back

Eddie, no doubt

long walk

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Verona, Italy

do you have a nickname?

Printz :cool:

alinda
03-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Welcome Honkmahfa, Dolso, and printz. :grouphug:
Interesting tales...come on in and enjoy the boards
theres a little something for everybody here.

SynysterSaint
03-14-2010, 01:06 PM
How did you discover the Dark Tower?Many He was/is a drummer and I was/am a bass player; "meant to be" you might say. He hounded me for months to "come over and jam". One day I did, and it we clicked immediately; totally solid backbeat from the 1. Then he started hounding me to read The Gunslinger, eventually giving me his own copy.

I helped my friend discover The Dark Tower in much the same way. I'm a bassist, as well, and my friend across the hall at college plays guitar. I convinced him to come over and jam one day, and he started asking me about The Gunslinger in between songs. He's hooked now. I think Stephen King just has a way of drawing musicians haha

Who is your favorite charcter?Eddie. From his first scene, transformation, to his last scene, I related to him. Definitely, Eddie.

You're a bassist, and you relate to Eddie? I feel like the two of us are going to get along just fine, RR :cool:

SynysterSaint
03-14-2010, 01:08 PM

Haven't we yet? :)

Welcome you all. You will have a really good time here.

I think it's safe to say we're finally in the majority :thumbsup:

SynysterSaint
03-14-2010, 01:13 PM

I'm doing my best, Brice. College is giving me very little free time, but I find at least a half an hour a day to pump out some King (not much, but it's all I've got, usually). Right now I'm about 230 pages into The Stand. Do you have any suggestions for my next read?

Jon
03-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Welcome!!

Brice
03-15-2010, 06:30 AM
Welcome everyone!

I'm doing my best, Brice. College is giving me very little free time, but I find at least a half an hour a day to pump out some King (not much, but it's all I've got, usually). Right now I'm about 230 pages into The Stand. Do you have any suggestions for my next read?

Now is college really as important as reading?

Okay, what all have you read, my friend?

SynysterSaint
03-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Now is college really as important as reading?

Okay, what all have you read, my friend?

No, it really isn't :lol:

I absolutely hate college. I'm hoping to drop out but I know my parents would never allow it. If I can, though, I want to get an apartment in New York City with my friend Ryan. "But that's not what you want to do the most," you might say, Brice, and you would be completely right. I really want to backpack around America and then, after I feel that I finally know my country, I would travel across Europe. Hopefully I would then settle down in London or Dublin after I've finished travelling to work on my music and writing. But again, I know my parents would never allow it, and I have no idea how I would survive without them lending me money in between jobs.

Stephen King I have read: The Dark Tower in its completion, 'Salem's Lot, and (after I'm finished with it) The Stand. Overall, I've read 9 King books, and one short story collection (Everything's Eventual), but it's not much with the breadth of work King has accomplished.

Ray Bradbury I have read: Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Michael Crichton I have read: Everything (except for Pirate Latitudes) :)

And then there's a random assortment of authors. I'll tell you if you suggest something random I already have under my belt.

Jon
03-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Stay in college!! You will regret dropping out later. As to your next read...read the other version of The Stand.

SynysterSaint
03-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Stay in college!! You will regret dropping out later. As to your next read...read the other version of The Stand.

Right now I'm working my way through the unabridged version. I can't imagine reading the abridged; I hate shortened works. They're always lacking something, and in this case it seems the abridged is lacking King's distinct pacing and characterization.

About college: I hate the American education system. I always have. There's fundamental problems with it that I just will never come to terms with, and most of it happens to fall within the realm of "higher learner" (I.E. college). There is no job I foresee myself having that would require me to hold a degree (which, in itself, is simply a piece of paper that says I was able to be taught a certain field for the four years I was there). I want to be a novelist, which requires no degree, or a musician, where a degree is optional. I feel that for my own benefit and growth (not to mention my mental health), it would be time and money better spent seeing the world and learning where I fit into it (if indeed I would ever "fit" is another matter entirely). College is about finding out who you are and building a future, but it's not a future I want. I don't know who I am, but staying here is not the way to help me find out.
^That's the shortened version of why I want to leave.

Jon
03-16-2010, 12:15 AM

Right now I'm working my way through the unabridged version. I can't imagine reading the abridged; I hate shortened works. They're always lacking something, and in this case it seems the abridged is lacking King's distinct pacing and characterization.

About college: I hate the American education system. I always have. There's fundamental problems with it that I just will never come to terms with, and most of it happens to fall within the realm of "higher learner" (I.E. college). There is no job I foresee myself having that would require me to hold a degree (which, in itself, is simply a piece of paper that says I was able to be taught a certain field for the four years I was there). I want to be a novelist, which requires no degree, or a musician, where a degree is optional. I feel that for my own benefit and growth (not to mention my mental health), it would be time and money better spent seeing the world and learning where I fit into it (if indeed I would ever "fit" is another matter entirely). College is about finding out who you are and building a future, but it's not a future I want. I don't know who I am, but staying here is not the way to help me find out.
^That's the shortened version of why I want to leave.

Yes there are a lot of outright fools teaching now. Suffer those fools.

As to The Stand...the endings are different.

SynysterSaint
03-16-2010, 12:26 AM

haha I never once said I hated the professors, but it was good (and correct) of you to assume. It isn't just them, though. It's all of it.

I had heard that they had different endings, but to me an ending only matters in the context of everything that came before it. If King's characters aren't as elaborate or colorful as he imagined, or if his pacing or dialogue isn't as honed as he planned out, then the ending feels shoddy to me. And I can't imagine I would care for the ending if I knew that everything that came before it wasn't what King wished for his novel. Just out of curiosity, which ending do you prefer: the abridged or unabridged? Or is this just a case where it works out equally well under each setting?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-16-2010, 12:36 AM
I would suggest It (if youre ready for another huge undertaking) Pet Semetary (if youre not) and Skeleton Crew in between.

Jon
03-16-2010, 12:44 AM

haha I never once said I hated the professors, but it was good (and correct) of you to assume. It isn't just them, though. It's all of it.

I had heard that they had different endings, but to me an ending only matters in the context of everything that came before it. If King's characters aren't as elaborate or colorful as he imagined, or if his pacing or dialogue isn't as honed as he planned out, then the ending feels shoddy to me. And I can't imagine I would care for the ending if I knew that everything that came before it wasn't what King wished for his novel. Just out of curiosity, which ending do you prefer: the abridged or unabridged? Or is this just a case where it works out equally well under each setting?

unabridged...no doubt!

SynysterSaint
03-16-2010, 12:47 AM
unabridged...no doubt!

haha good to hear! I'm so excited. I am at the part where:

Fran buried her father's body in the garden and then Stu killed Elder and broke out of the hospital where he was being kept.

I would suggest It (if youre ready for another huge undertaking) Pet Semetary (if youre not) and Skeleton Crew in between.

I was considering It next, actually, but I'm not sure I want another really long book just yet. I think Pet Semetary might be a good choice. I haven't been scared by anything King's written yet (many people say 'Salem's Lot is one of the few that actually scared them, but it did nothing to me), so I'm excited to see if any of the three you mentioned get to me.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-16-2010, 12:54 AM
I think that most fans are in agreement that Pet Semetary is the most frightening of SK's works.

Jon
03-16-2010, 12:59 AM
unabridged...no doubt!

haha good to hear! I'm so excited. I am at the part where:

Fran buried her father's body in the garden and then Stu killed Elder and broke out of the hospital where he was being kept.

I envy you. Such a great journey awaits you.

Brice
03-16-2010, 01:33 AM
I'm not sure dropping out of college entirely is a good idea, but if you're really not sure what you want from it right now maybe you could talk to the parents about taking a year or two off. In the meantime if it'll make them feel better about it they can send ME to college. I'll even call them mom and dad to make them feel better about the whole arrangement. :D I'd be a full time lifelong student if I could afford to do it. Fuck work! You don't want that shit. :lol:

Okay, as far as King (or Bradbury for that matter) goes imo you can't go wrong with ANYTHING they've written and really you should work your way through them all, but Pet Sematary is a nice place to start catching up. Personally I can't recall the last time I was truly scared by any book or author, but that little book does certainly have a delightful creepyness to it. If you like short stories maybe start with Night Shift and move from there, but as I've said already you really just need to read every word the guy's written. Then do the same with Bradbury, Lovecraft, Ellison, Aickman, Sturgeon, Dick, Nolan, Straub, Ketchum, Lee, etc...I could go on, but that should keep you reading some of the best for oh, about a week or two. :lol:

Oh and I love both versions of the stand...maybe the unabridged a little more, but I grew up with those folks in the original.

Jon
03-16-2010, 02:17 AM
I just wonder: in the unabridged version, how the hell do they cross the Mississippi River??!!??

Oh man that was sooo bad.

Thank you.

I'll be here all week.

Try the veal!

SynysterSaint
03-16-2010, 02:18 AM

Thank you! I've been told how amazing of a book The Stand is. I picked it up at Borders about two years ago, but I just got around to starting it. Like I said, I haven't had much time, but I've savored every sentence thus far. With most books I'm a fast reader; I can finish a Crichton novel in a day. But with King, or even Bradbury for that matter, the books play out like a work of art and it takes me forever to read it because I'm so absorbed in the details. I can't tell you how much I look forward to these next few weeks finishing this book!

I'm not sure dropping out of college entirely is a good idea, but if you're really not sure what you want from it right now maybe you could talk to the parents about taking a year or two off. In the meantime if it'll make them feel better about it they can send ME to college. I'll even call them mom and dad to make them feel better about the whole arrangement. :D I'd be a full time lifelong student if I could afford to do it. Fuck work! You don't want that shit. :lol:

Okay, as far as King (or Bradbury for that matter) goes imo you can't go wrong with ANYTHING they've written and really you should work your way through them all, but Pet Sematary is a nice place to start catching up. Personally I can't recall the last time I was truly scared by any book or author, but that little book does certainly have a delightful creepyness to it. If you like short stories maybe start with Night Shift and move from there, but as I've said already you really just need to read every word the guy's written. Then do the same with Bradbury, Lovecraft, Ellison, Aickman, Sturgeon, Dick, Nolan, Straub, Ketchum, Lee, etc...I could go on, but that should keep you reading some of the best for oh, about a week or two. :lol:

Oh and I love both versions of the stand...maybe the unabridged a little more, but I grew up with those folks in the original.

haha I would absolutely love for you to trade places with me, Brice! I don't mind working, but I would mind working in one place all my life starting at the age of 19. Like I said: I would much prefer to be travelling for a few years, working odd jobs in towns I stop in for a few weeks and then moving on. Plus, I really feel like the travelling would not only help me grow as a person but as a writer. How can I be expected to write about people from all over the world if I never get a chance to meet them? :cool:

I am so happy that you mentioned Lovecraft. Might I suggest you look up a game for the Nintendo GameCube called Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem? It's all based on Lovecraftian lore. I absolutely love it, and I think you would get a kick out of at least reading up on the plot.

I plan on reading every Stephen King book by the time I'm 30, which may not be a horrible stretch for you, but for me it's going to take a while; I plan on writing and working on my music with all of my spare time with reading taking a back seat to those two, and those two only. It's settled though: my next book will be Pet Semetary. I'm looking forward to some nightmares, and if I don't get any you're all going to be held accountable :evil:

SynysterSaint
03-16-2010, 02:19 AM
I just wonder: in the unabridged version, how the hell do they cross the Mississippi River??!!??

Oh man that was sooo bad.

Thank you.

I'll be here all week.

Try the veal!

Ba-DUM-chh *snare roll*

Brice
03-16-2010, 02:31 AM

Thank you! I've been told how amazing of a book The Stand is. I picked it up at Borders about two years ago, but I just got around to starting it. Like I said, I haven't had much time, but I've savored every sentence thus far. With most books I'm a fast reader; I can finish a Crichton novel in a day. But with King, or even Bradbury for that matter, the books play out like a work of art and it takes me forever to read it because I'm so absorbed in the details. I can't tell you how much I look forward to these next few weeks finishing this book!

haha I would absolutely love for you to trade places with me, Brice! I don't mind working, but I would mind working in one place all my life starting at the age of 19. Like I said: I would much prefer to be travelling for a few years, working odd jobs in towns I stop in for a few weeks and then moving on. Plus, I really feel like the travelling would not only help me grow as a person but as a writer. How can I be expected to write about people from all over the world if I never get a chance to meet them? :cool:

I am so happy that you mentioned Lovecraft. Might I suggest you look up a game for the Nintendo GameCube called Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem? It's all based on Lovecraftian lore. I absolutely love it, and I think you would get a kick out of at least reading up on the plot.

I plan on reading every Stephen King book by the time I'm 30, which may not be a horrible stretch for you, but for me it's going to take a while; I plan on writing and working on my music with all of my spare time with reading taking a back seat to those two, and those two only. It's settled though: my next book will be Pet Semetary. I'm looking forward to some nightmares, and if I don't get any you're all going to be held accountable :evil:

I'll look it up, but I no longer have a Gamecube. In fact the most recent game system I currently own is a super nintendo. :lol: Lovecraft is definitely one of my favorite writers.

Tell mom and dad I'll be home for dinner tonight to discuss my enrollment.

SynysterSaint
03-16-2010, 02:52 AM
I'll look it up, but I no longer have a Gamecube. In fact the most recent game system I currently own is a super nintendo. :lol: Lovecraft is definitely one of my favorite writers.

Tell mom and dad I'll be home for dinner tonight to discuss my enrollment.

Look up a program called Dolphin; it's a GameCube emulator for the computer ("Dolphin" was the codename for the GameCube the same way that "Revolution" was the codename for the Wii). As I said: even if you don't get around to playing it you will absolutely love the plot. The characters are phenomenal, as well.

I'll make sure to pass the message along, but you'll have to decide which of my parents you'd prefer to meet (my parents divorced over 13 years ago). My dad is very high-strung and overly-selfish, while my mother is overly-selfless, albeit a bit naive to the workings of a teenager's mind. Overall, I think you'd prefer my mother. She's more of a "thinker" like ourselves; she enjoys Nora Roberts, whom Stephen King thinks is "cool," so you two should get along just fine :)

Brice
03-16-2010, 02:58 AM
Yes, definitely Mom! :grouphug:

I'll definitely check it out, but I need an external drive before I can download anything. There is way too much music on this computer. :lol:

SynysterSaint
03-16-2010, 03:17 AM
Yes, definitely Mom! :grouphug:

Good decision. My mom is the nicest woman I've ever met :rose:

I'll definitely check it out, but I need an external drive before I can download anything. There is way too much music on this computer. :lol:

:lol: I know what you mean. I have a 160gig HDD, and over a quarter of that is music. I'm going to be replacing all of my MP3's and MP4's with FLAC files soon, though, so that size is going to jump up to more than double what it is now. And with all the games and programs I use, there's no way it's all going to fit. I'm trying to get the money together to build my own desktop, and I already have a HDD in mind (I'm getting two, 1 tetrabyte-sized HDDs). So hopefully that will be enough room for everything I want. The problem is that Windows uses such large partitions just for its paging file and core installations. That's why I'm going to switch to Ubuntu (a Linux distribution) as my primary OS when I build my desktop; I already have it dual-booted on my laptop and as my primary OS on my netbook, and it's fantastic. It takes up very little space, the swap file is completely dependent on the amount of RAM instead of being a set size, and it's fully customizable and free. God, I love open-source shareware!

What kind of music do you listen to?

And I realize that these types of conversations we've been having may not be "advised" in a thread dedicated to introducing new members, so feel free to PM me. Unless of course the new folks would like to join in on our "getting to know each other better" sessions :cool:

Brice
03-16-2010, 03:23 AM
I'll PM you since well...you're right. We are a bit off topic here.

Jean
03-16-2010, 04:01 AM
yes guys, you know, there's a whole site here... in case you didn't notice... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_hahaha.gif

SynysterSaint
03-16-2010, 04:22 AM
yes guys, you know, there's a whole site here... in case you didn't notice... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_hahaha.gif

:lol: Sorry about the long conversations, Jean. If you look through, you'll realize it was just a simple escalation; no harm intended. Honest :thumbsup:

Dagavidiab
03-16-2010, 05:44 AM
:lol: Sorry about the long conversations, Jean. If you look through, you'll realize it was just a simple escalation; no harm intended. Honest :thumbsup:

One thing.... The College is the best time ever!!!!!! You donīt have any real problem (we think we do, but itīs just not true), you meet all kind of people, you "experiment" and learn new stuff, ways,... EVERYTHING!!!

Believe me, iīm a Mechanical Engineer, and i really prefer be in College.... Donīt get me wrong, once you graduate you have ALL the liberty in the world, and donīt worry for travel, i do it often (all paid with a decent salary).

Anyway, welcome to the neebies like me!

dobosininja
03-18-2010, 07:48 PM
hello, I finally decided to register...been a long time reader...but first time poster :D

Brice
03-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Jon
03-19-2010, 09:34 AM
WELCOME!!

(and sorry Jean, I knew I was doing wrong.)

GenericUN
03-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Absolutely LOVE your avatar Jon, rock on mate :rock:

My name's Kris, and I joined TDT because my valiant attempts to convince my friends to read the series failed (illiterate morons I can tell you), therefore my last remaining option to discuss The Dark Tower was this site; and what a site it is! :shoot:

Cheers.

Matt
03-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Great to meet you Generic, glad you decided to join us.

Jon
03-20-2010, 12:59 AM
WELCOME!!

alinda
03-20-2010, 07:38 AM
:grouphug: Welcome indeed! Nice to meet you !

1trigtowerjunkie
03-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Funny enough, I kept getting all these damned 'Dark Tower' books from my parents, and all they know is that I like SK. So, I kept getting one every xmas except for the 1st so they sat for about 4 yrs until I found 'The Gunslinger' at a thrift store for 30 cents..

I'm not quite sure.. I've just finished reading the series.. and I need time to reflect upon such things! But, If I had to make an upfront decision I would have to say, Roland. I love how his character progressed and changed throughout the novels, He was a very realistic character to me, in a sci-fi kind of way? lol!

It's a tie between 3 and 5!

How old are you?
22 next month!

Where are you from?
South Central PA, USA

do you have a nickname?
No, Amber will do ya fine.

I'll just say up front I'll be a lurker for a long while here! I want to re-read everything first! But, until then long days and pleasant nights.

alinda
03-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Hello Amber, welcome to the site. :D :rose:

Matt
03-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Great to meet you Amber, welcome!

Jon
03-21-2010, 01:03 AM
Hi Amber

Brice
03-21-2010, 01:07 AM
Welcome Amber and Kris! :)

Jon
03-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Welcome!

Jean
03-21-2010, 02:28 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome4-cl.jpg

Divinemisskat
03-21-2010, 06:27 PM
--My ex actually introduced me to it, was the only good thing I got from knowing him..lol.

--Tough call? Probably Eddie, since I can relate to him more.

--Wolves of the Calla

How old are you?

Where are you from?
--Illinois

Do you have a nickname?
--Kitty

Matt
03-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Hey Kitty! Welcome to the site, its great to meet you.

towerloveFTW
03-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi, my name is Carlie, I joined the site a while ago, just now posting. I read the series in high school and loved it, but I have no tower-fan friends... so here I am :)

Matt
03-22-2010, 12:40 AM
Hey Carlie, I've always thought that was a really cool name. Welcome to the site.:thumbsup:

Jon
03-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Welcome!!

Riostar
03-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Long days pleasant nights! Just came across this page while looking at dark tower tattoos and it looked like a good time so I decided to join. Hi everyone.

How did you discover the Dark Tower? Have loved SK for a long time and somehow got book 2, started reading that and it didn't make any sense. Realized it was par of a series so I went and found book 1 and started reading.

Who is your favorite character? Probably Roland because he changes so much and he really has a lot of levels to him.

All but 4 and 6.

How old are you?
27 almost 28

Where are you from?
Originally Illinois but lived in Arizona most my life.

do you have a nickname? Ali (since my name is Alison) or Karla cause I used to do roller Derby under the name Karla Marx.

SynysterSaint
03-22-2010, 11:17 PM
All but 4 and 6.

do you have a nickname? Ali (since my name is Alison) or Karla cause I used to do roller Derby under the name Karla Marx.

May I ask why you dislike W&G? There's been a bunch of different answer by different members, and I'm curious to hear who you side with on this.

And roller derby? :drool: That is awesome! I want to hear stories at some point :lol:

Welcome to the site!

Riostar
03-23-2010, 08:43 AM
I didn't like W&G because I'm not a huge fan of flashbacks and a ton of back story. Some back story is needed and it was important to know but i just didn't enjoy reading it as much as I did the others. The parts where they where walking along and discovered the thinny and the Emerald City and stuff I like just not all the back story. I got the graphic novels and like the back story when it was condensed down. Got the info, way shorter.

Sadly I don't have many really exciting roller derby stories but it was fun times.

Hannah
03-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Jean will be so happy to have another W&G hater on the site! :D Welcome, Ali!

SynysterSaint
03-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Hannah, you're so mean! :P I should get Brice in here to help fight off Jean for me. As far as I remember, he's quite a fan of W&G (I'm going to look like a fool if I'm wrong :lol:)

Hannah
03-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Synyster, you have me all wrong. I'm the nicest girl on the planet. I've won awards for my niceness. People just say I'm mean because they're jealous of how nice I am.

:unsure:

W&G haters unite!

SynysterSaint
03-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Synyster, you have me all wrong. I'm the nicest girl on the planet. I've won awards for my niceness. People just say I'm mean because they're jealous of how nice I am.

W&G haters unite!

Excuse me, but who do you think you're fooling here? :arg:

You know I love you :huglove: Even if you do hate my favorite DT book ;)

Riostar
03-23-2010, 06:07 PM
I guess its good to know I'm not alone.

Jean
03-24-2010, 03:18 AM
Jean will be so happy to have another W&G hater on the site! :D Welcome, Ali!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_inlove.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_inlove.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_inlove.gif

WeDealInLead
03-24-2010, 06:09 AM

The books? Through the Marvel comics. I read a lot of comics and I picked up Gunslinger Born when it first came out because it looked interesting. I've been a fan ever since. I found the forum because I spend hours researching things I like. This forum was one of the top links.

Roland. Fairly predictable answer, right?

The Waste Lands.

How old are you?

Where are you from?

Born in Croatia, moved to London, Ontario 11 years ago.

do you have a nickname?

Yes, my friends called me Pedja. My real name would give you a brain hemmorhage so let's stick to the nickname, OK? :lol:

Matt
03-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Hey Pedja, great to hear you found the books through the comics, we love new fans.

Great to meet you, welcome to the site.

cjlong4372
03-24-2010, 08:04 AM
I am a long time Stephen King fan. Read anything that I can get my hands on by him.

Eddie is my favorite

The first is always the best hands down.

How old are you?
I'll be 38 on april 3rd

Where are you from?
Eau Claire WI

do you have a nickname?
I was called punisher and im also called pennywise.

Jean
03-24-2010, 08:06 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome20bear.jpg

Ben Eads
03-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Welcome fellow tower-junkies! :rock:

Celtic Bear
03-25-2010, 10:45 AM

I dug it up off the King site so that I could rally the troops to help Roland in the SUVUDU cage matches. :shoot:

Trashcan Man :onfire:

On Writing :orely:

How old are you?

Almost EXACTLY as old as the Superbowl. :ninja:

Where are you from?

I grew up in South Jersey, but currently reside in Houston (by way of Tampa and Hattiesburg, Mississippi) :cowboy:

do you have a nickname?

Cormac-Daddy 8)

Hannah
03-25-2010, 10:51 AM

W&G haters unite!

Excuse me, but who do you think you're fooling here? :arg:

You know I love you :huglove: Even if you do hate my favorite DT book ;)

:huglove: You better love me or I'll hurt you be nice to you until you do!

Welcome to the site, Celtic Bear! :D

Jean
03-25-2010, 11:53 AM

mowque
03-28-2010, 01:44 PM
So, is this place still active? I hope so...

alinda
03-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi, welcome to the site. We are very much active.:nana:

mowque
03-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Hi, welcome to the site. We are very much active.:nana:

Excellent. Just did my second readthrough. It is pure magic/crack...I'm a Tower Junkie.

Matt
03-28-2010, 03:02 PM

Fastest growing Dark Tower site on the internet! :lol:

Welcome mowque, glad you joined up.

Jon
03-28-2010, 07:08 PM

That depends on your definition of "active." I wear adult diapers so I don't have to get out of the chair and I have an I.V. nicotine drip.

Whiplash
04-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Have been reading a ton of SK books as of late and wanted to take on something big....so the dark tower addiction began.

Eddie for his wittiness, Roland for his intensity.

Of the DT series: Wizard and Glass so far...(that's the one I'm currently reading).

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Québec, Canada

do you have a nickname?
Whip

Matt
04-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Hey Whip!

Welcome to the site.

Jon
04-05-2010, 11:57 PM
WELCOME!!!

nick dice
04-06-2010, 07:48 AM
my mom likes king's book so like 3 years ago i started reading the stand which was great. i went reading a few others of his books, I found the comic book version of the gunslinger 1st read the 1st there of those, then stopped and began to read the books rite now am on the wasteland about page 100.
since i haven't finished all the books id have 2 say idk
so far i like how the gunslinger ended but i didn't finish the books
How old are you?
Where are you from?
new york
do you have a nickname?
nope

Matt
04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Great to meet you Nick. :clap:

Welcome to the site.

nick dice
04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
thank :-)

Jean
04-07-2010, 07:19 AM

AsylumWitch
04-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Actually my mom picked up The Gunslinger at a used book store then passed it on to me and I've been hooked ever since. Just finished my 4th read of the series - it never gets old.

Roland but Oy comes in a close second.

Wow hard to pick but I loved The Gunslinger in the DT series. As for Kings other books, The Shining has always been a fave .

How old are you?
Uh...*cough*...43 :lol:

Where are you from?
California born and raised.

Do you have a nickname?
Nope. Online I'm AsylumWitch and in RL I'm Nikki.

alinda
04-08-2010, 05:05 AM
:rose:Hello, and welcome all. :D

SynysterSaint
04-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Welcome, everyone!!

Jean
04-09-2010, 02:20 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome178868103.jpg

rachel_lentner
04-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I suppose i should do one of these.

Hello all, I'm Rachel.

I was introduced to the Dark Tower series by my sister a few years ago and was instantly hooked.

It sounds silly, but i love oy. he isnt the deepest of characters or even the most vital but his loyalty and humanistic qualities won me over.

I'd have to say Wolves of the Cala.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
East Lansing, MI

do you have a nickname?
Not really. People generally just call me rachel or rach.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7881/tatf.png

Woofer
04-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I suppose i should do one of these.

Hello all, I'm Rachel.

I was introduced to the Dark Tower series by my sister a few years ago and was instantly hooked.

It sounds silly, but i love oy. he isnt the deepest of characters or even the most vital but his loyalty and humanistic qualities won me over.

I'd have to say Wolves of the Cala.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
East Lansing, MI

do you have a nickname?
Not really. People generally just call me rachel or rach.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7881/tatf.png

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/562/SibeWelcomeMat.jpg

Woof!

I think you will find a lot of people here understand about Oy. :couple:

Long days and pleasant nights.

Shadow4437
04-10-2010, 11:21 AM
My name is Calvin, simple enough.

I was introduced to the dark tower at a point in which I was mildly interested in spaghetti westerns and also starting to read Stephen King.

My favorite character? Perhaps Roland, Or Eddie. Appreciate a little comedy here and there, makes day to day easier.

My favorite book? Probably The Gunslinger or The Wastelands.

How old are you? 14, as of now.

From New Mexico.

No nicknames.

Letti
04-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi there Calvin. :rose: Long days and pleasant nights.

alinda
04-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Hile Rachael of East Lansing
and Calvin of New Mexico.
Welcome to you both :D

Jon
04-10-2010, 11:42 PM
WELCOME!!!!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Hi Everybody!
http://kidsdontgetit.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/dr-riviera1.png

Gilbert
04-11-2010, 06:29 AM
How did you discover the Dark Tower? link from SK website

Who is your favorite charcter? Roland

What is your favorite SK book? The Gunslinger & The Green Mile

How old are you? 56

Where are you from? Alabama, living in Carrollton, Georgia now

Do you have a nickname? No, but some people call me weird, crazy, eccentric, etc.

I have all but a couple of SK's books (The Plant, Six Stories) with a handful being signed. Nothing in my King collection stands out compared to some of you guys. My primary author collection is Dan Simmons. I have everything by him, including a lot of ephemera, lettered editions, etc. When I discovered this site a few months ago I was amazed when I viewed some of your collections. I check at least once a week to see what has been added. I spotted some books like the large print edition of The Colorado Kid that I did not know existed. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this group.

Jean
04-11-2010, 07:46 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome1.gif

Tito_Villa
04-11-2010, 08:02 AM
How did you discover the Dark Tower? link from SK website

What is your favorite SK book? The Gunslinger & The Green Mile

How old are you? 56

Where are you from? Alabama, living in Carrollton, Georgia now

Do you have a nickname? No, but some people call me weird, crazy, eccentric, etc.

I have all but a couple of SK's books (The Plant, Six Stories) with a handful being signed. Nothing in my King collection stands out compared to some of you guys. My primary author collection is Dan Simmons. I have everything by him, including a lot of ephemera, lettered editions, etc. When I discovered this site a few months ago I was amazed when I viewed some of your collections. I check at least once a week to see what has been added. I spotted some books like the large print edition of The Colorado Kid that I did not know existed. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this group.

Welcome and i think you should make a collection thread yourself??? Would love to see what you've got :)

Aldaron
04-11-2010, 11:48 PM
How did you discover the Dark Tower? Friends

What is your favorite book? Drawing of the Three

How old are you? 23

Where are you from? Rockford IL

do you have a nickname? Aldaron

Matt
04-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Hey Aldaron, great to meet you.

Welcome to the site.

Jean
04-12-2010, 03:18 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/welcome2625277.gif

Riostar
04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Hey Aldaron, where is rockford? it sounds familiar. i grew up in a little town in southern Illinois called Gillespie and my dad lived in Carlinvile,. My family still lives in Virden. Any of those places sound familiar?

giggler5
04-13-2010, 04:47 PM
what's up everyone? my name is andrew and i'm 24 from michigan. i've been a stephen king fan since i was 12 or so, and although i've heard of the dark tower series, i never gave them a chance. one of my close friends started reading them around christmas last year and was talking them up, so i thought i'd give em a try. i ordered the first 4 books and finished them all within 2 weeks. i'm about 1/4 through the 7th, and in my opinion, it's possibly the best series ever written. i've never read anything like it. anyway, just thought i'd throw my enthusiasm out there. lol...hope to meet some cool people on here! sweet site!

Matt
04-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Hey giggler! Great to meet you.

Watch out for spoilers on that last book around here, people who have been through them 4 or 5 times are sometimes a little loose of tongue. :lol:

Glad you like the site.

Jimimck
04-19-2010, 02:08 AM
Hey all,
Just signed up so thought I'd answer a few quick questions

My mum gave me my first SK novel when I was 12 (Cujo), and I have been hooked ever since. I only started reading the Tower maybe 5 years ago, and have purposefully been reading them VERY slowly, to prolong what has been an amazing story so far. I just finished Wolves of the Calla a couple of months ago, and am gagging to pick up number 6.

Oy. Nah ok its Roland, but Oy is cool.

What is your favorite book? So far, Wolves has been my favourite, and I think a lot of that has to do with that amazing ending. A friend of mine waited for four years after he read it wanting to talk to me about that ending.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
New Zealand.

Do you have a nickname?
Not any more lol

lonely_cube
04-20-2010, 04:41 AM
I don't actually remember. I think I just saw The Gunslinger and thought it looked interesting.

Roland, for sure.

I'd have to go with The Drawing of the Three.

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Canada

do you have a nickname?
Some people call me Merso.

Matt
04-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Hey Merso, great to meet you.

The Drawing of the Three is probably in the top three greatest books of all time imo. I spent a little time loving Wizard and Glass for complex reasons but now I'm back to Drawing as my favorite of the series for sure.

Rubysoho
04-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Hello all! I'm Brittany.

I started reading Stephen King when I was 14. I picked up The Gunslinger at a used book store a few years ago because I saw it was by him but didn't get around to reading it until earlier this year. I was absolutely hooked after the first chapter.

It really varies for me between Roland, Jake and Eddie.

Wizard and Glass

How old are you?

Where are you from?
Mass.

Do you have a nickname?
Not really.

Riostar
04-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Ruby!

Riostar
04-20-2010, 12:14 PM
or Brittany, wrote your screen name before i saw your real name...sorry. is that from the rancid song?

reverendlonggoode
04-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Bon nuit, bon nuit to you all.

My name is Flash and stumbled across this site while putting of work.

How did you discover the Dark Tower? I was doing research on King Arthur and ran across a reference to Arthur Eld in an article and backtracked from there!

Who is your favorite character? Roland or Pere Callahan

What is your favorite book? Wizard & Glass

How old are you? 23

Where are you from? Middle o' No-Where

Long days, pleasant nights!:pirate:

Rubysoho
04-20-2010, 09:12 PM
or Brittany, wrote your screen name before i saw your real name...sorry. is that from the rancid song?

Yes! Well...sort of. Ruby is my kitty and I call her Rubysoho all of the time because of the Rancid song. I named her for a really obscure Lord of the Rings reference, though.

Syncrosonix
04-20-2010, 09:14 PM

i discovered it almost 11 years ago while i was a sophomore in high school. one of my then time friends suggested that i check out the dark tower: the gunslinger. i read and loved it. i then checked out the drawing of the three. i also enjoyed it. then i became sidetracked with life's garbage, and i've finally gotten around to finishing off the wastelands a couple weeks ago. i currently have 150 or so pages left of wizard and glass.

that's a difficult choice to make. i like eddie since he reminds me of me. especially when he starts cracking stupid-funny jokes at the worst possible time. hey, when in the mono station, i would have gotten on the p/a system and started saying lame things, too.

so far, it's a toss up between the third and fourth part of the series. i haven't gotten to parts 5-7, yet.

How old are you?

i'm 26.

Where are you from?

i am from the inner baronies of arizona.

do you have a nickname?

no, i don't have a formal nick name.

Tito_Villa
04-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Hellooooooo everyone :)

Matt
04-21-2010, 04:48 AM
Hello reverend and sync, welcome to the site. :clap:

Cheshirekat
04-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Hello all, I can't believe I just found you guys... looked up the Tick-Tock Man and it led me here. It never ceases to amaze me how tangential I become online :)

Well, in kinda a roundabout way actually. I was a freshman in high school and had already burned through the reading list for that quarter. My Lit teacher left a note on one of my papers to check out Eyes of the Dragon. When I remarked that I wasn't really interested in Stephen King, she said it would open up doors for me to new worlds. She was definitely right! When I finished it, I went searching for others like it and came upon a hardback edition of Drawing of the Three in my library. I started it, and as you can probably imagine, I was totally confused but intrigued, so I put it back thinking I would have to find the first book one day. I met my husband two years later, and he handed me The Gunslinger audio book... and from then on (15 years now, 3 of which I was stuck on Blaine) the series has been near and dear to my heart.

So difficult, but I would have to say Jake

Again, it changes day by day but probably today The Dark Tower followed closely by DotT and Wizard & Glass

How old are you?

Where are you from? All across the great USA but currently reside in the Mojave

Do you have a nickname? Kate

Pleasant nights y'all...hope to talk at ya more soon!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Welcome reverand, sync and Kate. Pull up a chair, sit a spell. Make yourself comfortable. If I can help direct you to any threads that might interest you, just ask.