PDA

View Full Version : Under the Dome Collecting Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11

turtlex
11-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Yup. It's one flowing picture under the band... no text.

becca69
11-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Even the box with the cards is cheap. The paper is flimsy and the cards don't fit very well. This book really needs the case to warrant the cost!

edit: has anyone looked at the book itself? mine seems to have a red smudged area on the front. it almost looks like the cloth was bleached or stained somehow.

Darkday
11-06-2009, 01:18 PM
So the only difference between the signed collector's set and the unsigned collector's set is the signature on a blank page? This is a huge disappointment. I guess fakes will show up on eBay, and there'll be no possibility to distinguish the real ones from the fakes (if the forger is talented). This is certainly not worth $200.

becca69
11-06-2009, 01:39 PM
that's correct. someone on sk boards pointed out that the book itself is stamped, but i would in no way call that a case!

i should have just ordered the unsigned copy. it wouldn't have been the huge disappointment this is.

Dolan
11-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Side note into promotions...

I am not sure how many of you guys are on twitter, but I am following simon and schuster on twitter and basically all they have been tweeting about is Under the Dome. When there is a huge topic of the day (basically the topic that everyone is talking about) it is called a "trending topic." So when Michael Jackson died, for several days "Michael Jackson" was a trending topic.

So when the book comes out, S&S has been constantly tweeting that they want "Stephen King" to be a trending topic. I get the fact that they want to market this book - but they are flooding twitter with this stuff... I doubt it will be a trending topic (you need thousands of people to write "stephen king" in their tweet to make that happen), but I haven't seen a publishing house do this before.

But personally, I can't wait to get my copy from Target.com!

becca69
11-06-2009, 01:44 PM
well we should tweet that the limited kinda sucks!

flaggwalkstheline
11-06-2009, 01:47 PM
so when is it gonna be released to the general public?

herbertwest
11-06-2009, 01:47 PM
For those that already have the book... how many illustrations are included? Illustrated by ...?

Would it be possible to have pictures of them?

====

Amazon (UK) have a new trailer for the british book :
Under the Dome: Amazon.co.uk: Stephen King: Books

====

http://www.theworldunderthedome.com/
the world under the dome.. a novel by MG Stoll

the illustration made me think about the new King novel

becca69
11-06-2009, 01:51 PM
looks like each chapter page has one of the card illustrations by New Yorker cartoonist Matthew Diffee

herbertwest
11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
looks like each chapter page has one of the card illustrations by New Yorker cartoonist Matthew Diffee

how many does that make?

it doesnt work very well just now, but the amazon.com page of UtD have a promotionnal picture (with all the pictures)

Amazon.com: Under the Dome: A Novel...Amazon.com: Under the Dome: A Novel...

becca69
11-06-2009, 02:15 PM
around 27 i think plus the colored end pages

mae
11-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Could we see the pics of the illustrations inside the book? I suppose, aside from the different DJ, the illustrated pages and better paper are the only differences from the trade edition.

johnsmith87
11-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm actually pretty pleased with my copy. Everything is intact, the signature looks nice. While I wish it came with a case (mainly because I was under the impression that it was going to come with one) at least the cover art is nice enough that it can stand alone. Even though there isn't a limitation page, I feel like there's enough that sets it apart from just feeling like a signed trade edition.

thecollector
11-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey guys... considering it seems this one doesn't come with a case would you want one?

I understand the budgetary constraints and the economy, I'm thinking something pretty basic for around $15-$20.:idea:

johnsmith87
11-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Hey guys... considering it seems this one doesn't come with a case would you want one?

I understand the budgetary constraints and the economy, I'm thinking something pretty basic for around $15-$20.:idea:

:thumbsup:

Room 217 Caretaker
11-06-2009, 03:27 PM

I would be interested in one. I wouldn't mind paying a little more to have a slot in the top to hold the card box (see example)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/medium/UTDslip.jpg

Ralph Mulleins
Cumberland VA

tippy4
11-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Make it happen Tomas!

jhanic
11-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I agree with Ralph about the separate compartment for the cards.

John

Ben Mears
11-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Is the paper used in the limited of a high quality as previously stated by SS? If someone has the harcover ARC and the signed limited please make a comparison and let me know. Thanks.

willie3
11-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Tomas

Another UTD case sold here.

How soon should we expect shipping?

Karl

Room 217 Caretaker
11-06-2009, 03:54 PM

I would be interested in one. I wouldn't mind paying a little more to have a slot in the top to hold the card box (see example)

Ralph Mulleins
Cumberland VA

John

Thanks John. Anyone else concerned about the cards stored on top. I want to store them together but not on top of the book. The separate compartment keeps them protected and together with the book.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

DavidK44
11-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I'd buy one for the mentioned price. I'd also prefer the extra compartment for the cards, even though the added height might make it harder to fit on my shelves.

willie3
11-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Absolutely Ralph.

Cards being part of the "package", they should be stored with the book.

I too would be willing to pay more for a slipcase with the capability to house the cards and "stamped case".

Karl

Brice
11-06-2009, 04:21 PM
It is always good to have an excuse to buy more bookshelves. :D

F1racefan
11-06-2009, 04:45 PM

Count me in. I will take one.:thumbsup:

SkippyD023
11-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I would take one as well. :rock:

Patrick
11-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I haven't been home to check the mail, so I have no idea if mine has arrived yet.

While I did not expect each book to be numbered, I did expect that S&S would at least print some sort of limitation language on the sig page of the S/L. I was surprised that they didn't until I remembered that these are the same guys who charged $1000 for a barely-differentiated signed pop-up book.

Anyway, looking forward to receiving the book.

Tomas, I will buy a case of your making as well.
Also I like Ralph's card case storage compartment idea.

Ricky
11-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Tomas, would it be possible to create one for the basic trade edition as well for those getting signed copies this upcoming week?

turtlex
11-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Tomas - Count me in, too. And ditto on it being cool if there were a space for the small card box.

jhanic
11-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Your package is in the UPS system and has a rescheduled delivery date of 11/10/2009.

(Italics mine.)

John

frik
11-06-2009, 08:45 PM

Definitely! :thumbsup:

sk

Fsmdr
11-06-2009, 09:31 PM

Definitely! :thumbsup:

sk

Ditto!.

Sir_Boomme
11-06-2009, 09:42 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V0AZgowwL._AA240_.jpg

FYI - I grabbed this from amazon, as I can't get a photo now - but that's the small, think black box that the character cards come in... down there in the front. It's cardboard, and basic - and no way would I call it a "case" .. no way. never.

once again S&S demonstrates their total ineptness at publishing a limited - first TGWLTG... now this piece of doodooo... why in hell did king agree to this. he bashed jerad and the salems lot limited - one of the finest limiteds ever published....but allows S&S to publish two limited pieces of crap.

i'm guessing king could really care less and is only after a quick buck.... and since S&S is the giant... king allows his name to literally be attached to their poop they put out.

how disappointing... but not surprising. and how's that 3D jacket workin' for ya... a bunch of hoopla about nothing much

Sir_Boomme
11-06-2009, 09:47 PM

Ralph Mulleins
Cumberland VA

John

Thanks John. Anyone else concerned about the cards stored on top. I want to store them together but not on top of the book. The separate compartment keeps them protected and together with the book.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

be sure to have homer put on the front of my slipcase.

swintek
11-07-2009, 12:19 AM
For those upset by the quality of the "limited", I feel badly for your disappointment, but I have to wonder if you honestly expected something different. It was pretty clear that this "limited" was going to be a signed "collectors edition" from the start- not something along the lines of "The Stand" limited. All the specs were exactly the same for the "collectors" edition and the "signed" edition. It was clear that they were going to have King sign x number of copies of the collectors edition and charge a premium for that service. In this case $125.00, which isn't really outrageous for King's signature.

I think this was pretty clear, and certainly why I didn't bite on it. Although I haven't received my collectors edition yet, from the pictures & specs I've seen- it looks well worth the $40 I spent at amazon. It looks like a nice book.

As far as a "stamped case", that is standard book trade jargon for die stamping on the "case" or "boards" the book is bound in. C'mon- you guys are pros- you know this, right?

I'm just wondering if anyone honestly expected something different with the signed collectors edition. It was never touted as a small press Limited Edition.

Ron

shnnrc01
11-07-2009, 12:50 AM
sign me up for a slipcase tomas!:thumbsup:

Cloysterpete
11-07-2009, 01:59 AM
UK Dome on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stephen-King-Under-The-Dome-HARDBACK-1st-Edition-NEW_W0QQitemZ370286712520QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Boo ks_Fiction_GL?hash=item5636ced6c8

divemaster
11-07-2009, 05:17 AM
You make slipcase. I buy slipcase. Simple!

lophophoras
11-07-2009, 05:23 AM

Count me in man!

:clap:

lophophoras
11-07-2009, 05:26 AM

Ralph Mulleins
Cumberland VA

John

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

I agree. Together but seperate.

I want to store them with the book in their box but not crammed up against the top of the book's page edges.

Randall Flagg
11-07-2009, 05:57 AM
As far as a "stamped case", that is standard book trade jargon for die stamping on the "case" or "boards" the book is bound in. C'mon- you guys are pros- you know this, right?

That's what I always understood it to mean, and was why I was puzzled when people kept mentioning a slipcase for the book. It certainly isn't impressive, but at $200 it is a fair value. In this day and age, if S&S did something in quality akin to The Stand S/L, the price would probably >$2,000.

willie3
11-07-2009, 06:34 AM

That's what I always understood it to mean, and was why I was puzzled when people kept mentioning a slipcase for the book. It certainly isn't impressive, but at $200 it is a fair value. In this day and age, if S&S did something in quality akin to The Stand S/L, the price would probably >$2,000.

I did not know that...
Learn somethin' new every day!

As for fair value, there were several books released recently with publisher bound in signature pages, that had limitation verbiage.
Brown's The Lost Symbol and Chabon's Manhood for Amateurs come immediately to mind.
Should those two have had an exorbitant premium added to the cost of the signed books?

Hey, I ordered the S/L also.
Not really complaining, just talking out loud here.

Karl

Rahfa
11-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Dan Brown's recent Lost Symbol limited edition looked pretty much the same as the trade edition - except for a specific limitation and signauture page...and a cost of $29.

It's no big deal about UTD...but I think if they had at least had a limitation page, even if it wasn't numbered, I would have been generally satisfied with the effort and the price.

willie3
11-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Dan Brown's recent Lost Symbol limited edition looked pretty much the same as the trade edition - except for a specific limitation and signauture page...and a cost of $29.

It's no big deal about UTD...but I think if they had at least had a limitation page, even if it wasn't numbered, I would have been generally satisfied with the effort and the price.

Exactly what I'm talking about...

And FYI, I paid $30 for the S/L Manhood by Chabon.

Karl

jhanic
11-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Just curious, for those of you who've already received the signed edition--did the shipping box or anything say not to deliver before November 10 but you got it anyway?

John

Sir_Boomme
11-07-2009, 07:38 AM

for 200 bucks wasn't looking for another limited stand.... but it wouldn't have added any extra cost to speak of to have an actual limitation page saying 1 of 200, 2 of 200, etc. i mean really...

Ben Mears
11-07-2009, 08:08 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V0AZgowwL._AA240_.jpg

FYI - I grabbed this from amazon, as I can't get a photo now - but that's the small, think black box that the character cards come in... down there in the front. It's cardboard, and basic - and no way would I call it a "case" .. no way. never.

once again S&S demonstrates their total ineptness at publishing a limited - first TGWLTG... now this piece of doodooo... why in hell did king agree to this. he bashed jerad and the salems lot limited - one of the finest limiteds ever published....but allows S&S to publish two limited pieces of crap.

i'm guessing king could really care less and is only after a quick buck.... and since S&S is the giant... king allows his name to literally be attached to their poop they put out.

how disappointing... but not surprising. and how's that 3D jacket workin' for ya... a bunch of hoopla about nothing much

My sentiments as well.

Ben Mears
11-07-2009, 08:10 AM
For those upset by the quality of the "limited", I feel badly for your disappointment, but I have to wonder if you honestly expected something different. It was pretty clear that this "limited" was going to be a signed "collectors edition" from the start- not something along the lines of "The Stand" limited. All the specs were exactly the same for the "collectors" edition and the "signed" edition. It was clear that they were going to have King sign x number of copies of the collectors edition and charge a premium for that service. In this case $125.00, which isn't really outrageous for King's signature.

I think this was pretty clear, and certainly why I didn't bite on it. Although I haven't received my collectors edition yet, from the pictures & specs I've seen- it looks well worth the $40 I spent at amazon. It looks like a nice book.

I'm just wondering if anyone honestly expected something different with the signed collectors edition. It was never touted as a small press Limited Edition.

Ron

Spot on, Ron.

Bev Vincent
11-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Here are some photos (http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/2009/11/06/first-look-photos-under-the-dome-limited-edition-from-simon-schuster/) including the packaging.

willie3
11-07-2009, 08:30 AM
All,

I just read the NY Times Sunday Book Review of UTD on line.
If you have not read the book, do not read this review.
Idiot reviewer discloses many key plot elements and turns.:shoot:

Karl

mae
11-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Well I too realized that the signed edition is just a signed collector's edition, so I'm glad I got it for $40 at Amazon. I think the color map on the endpapers and the illustartions are worth it. S&S also mentioned specialty paper. Can we expect Grant-like paper?

Randall Flagg
11-07-2009, 08:50 AM
... but it wouldn't have added any extra cost to speak of to have an actual limitation page saying 1 of 200, 2 of 200, etc. i mean really...
Agreed. Pennies at best.

Here are some photos (http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/2009/11/06/first-look-photos-under-the-dome-limited-edition-from-simon-schuster/) including the packaging.
Thanks Bev.

gsvec
11-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Tomas, I'm in for a case, thankee!

Mine signed UTD is scheduled for delivery on Monday and of course I'm leaving tomorrow for Florida. Sheesh. Glad I have family around to retrieve it. For those that have received theirs - was a signature required?

Patrick
11-07-2009, 11:41 AM
... While I did not expect each book to be numbered, I did expect that S&S would at least print some sort of limitation language on the sig page of the S/L. ...

Ron
Personally, I stand by my earlier statement. It would not have been any great imposition for S&S to have King sign pieces of paper with a couple preprinted sentences rather than having him sign blank pieces of paper.

As for the case, I'm looking forward to seeing what Tomas comes up with. It is sure to be nicer than anything S&S would have done. :)

johnsmith87
11-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Now that I think about it, it's probably better that it didn't come with a slipcase. If it had, I expect S&S would have jacked up the price to at least $300 and it would have come with a sub-par slipcase anyways. I'd much rather pay an extra $20 from Tomas for a better slipcase than S&S ever would have made.

tippy4
11-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm too lazy to research for myself....but is the $200 edition just a signed $75 version?

Any difference at all?

Room 217 Caretaker
11-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm too lazy to research for myself....but is the $200 edition just a signed $75 version?

Any difference at all?

So far my research is showing (please correct me if I'm wrong):

1st Trade Edition Dustjacket with printed words

Collectors Edition Dustjacket no words with orange band and "stamped case" to hold cards

Signed Edition Dustjacket no words with orange band and "stamped case" to hold cards

Only difference. Signed sheet that King touched

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

johnsmith87
11-07-2009, 03:51 PM
And on the inside flap of the Signed Edition dust jacket it says $200.00. I assume it says $75.00 on the regular Collector's Edition. This is actually pretty important because you can't just get King to sign a reg. Collector's Edition and pass it off as one of the Signed Editions.

Other than that, no other differences that I can tell of so far.

jhanic
11-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Don't forget that King's signature seems to be on a separate page that is probably tipped in, where the regular Collector's edition won't have that either.

John

NeedfulKings
11-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Mine's coming. 11/9

Yay!

I hope the rest of you get yours soon!!

Patrick
11-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Earlier today a deliveryman knocked and left a package by the front door. I was so excited!...

then I saw that the box was for my wife. :cry:

jhanic
11-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I just HATE it when that happens!

John

Room 217 Caretaker
11-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Earlier today a deliveryman knocked and left a package by the front door. I was so excited!...

John

Until you see the package has Victoria Secrets on the side :wtf:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
11-07-2009, 07:20 PM

John

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
Yeah, that would soften the blow. Alas it was a bunch of baby clothes that she bought on eBay. :doh:

Room 217 Caretaker
11-07-2009, 07:31 PM

John

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
Yeah, that would soften the blow. Alas it was a bunch of baby clothes that she bought on eBay. :doh:

Ahhhhh....baby clothes. Yep, that can be the end product of the Victoria Secret box arriving. :lol:

Sorry....back on topic.

UTD

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
11-07-2009, 10:24 PM
:lol:

Yes, on topic: Just checked the online shipment tracking. UTD still scheduled for delivery on Monday the 9th.

Resident Chris
11-08-2009, 03:21 AM
Hey Tomas I take a Case too!

Calla_Wolf
11-08-2009, 04:11 AM

Count me in...and I'd pay extra for mulleins' design.

(for anyone who's unsure, I can honestly say that thecollector's slipcases are very desirable)

becca69
11-08-2009, 06:48 AM
i too would like a case :)

and for $125 extra they could have printing something on the limitations page and handled the book more carefully. mine is dinged, the pages are dented where the ribbon is and there is a big spot on it that all happened before shipping.

Calla_Wolf
11-08-2009, 07:00 AM
i too would like a case :)
mine is dinged, the pages are dented where the ribbon is and there is a big spot on it that all happened before shipping.

To be more precise, it all happened before it was shrinkwrapped.

S&S seem to have boobed somewhat.

At least, despite all their faults, Cemetary Dance know how to produce a true S/L (when they get 'round to it...a discussion for another thread ;) )

NeedfulKings
11-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I'll take a case as well. :)

tippy4
11-08-2009, 12:03 PM
And on the inside flap of the Signed Edition dust jacket it says $200.00.

Don't forget that King's signature seems to be on a separate page that is probably tipped in, where the regular Collector's edition won't have that either.

It would seem that the only two differences between the $75 version and the $200 version is the price on the DJ and the tipped-in signature page.

It aggravates me that there is actually a separate signature page, but S&S did not have the intelligence to print something on it about the limitation or to number it!

Ironically, I would have been perfectly content if the dust jacket was exactly the same with two prices on it (think Grant LSOE).

This auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Under-The-Dome-SIGNED-LTD-MINT-NEW-WRAPPED_W0QQitemZ280420465389QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAn tiquarian_Collectible?hash=item414a5cbaed) claims that there is a sticker on the shrinkwrap indicating the book number, but once you take the shrinkwrap off, that becomes worthless.

Rahfa
11-08-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't even know if that #1109 even corresponds to anything relevant...without an official limitation on the inside, it's meaningless anyway. It's hard to question their intelligence - they sold out, they knew they'd sell out, so they didn't need to spend the money. It's more their interest in creating any sort of unique collectible. But, they didn't really present it as anything more than what it turned out to be.

Like I said a few posts ago, that $750 predicition was a bit off the mark...haha...

johnsmith87
11-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Just checked the sticker on my shrink wrap, and it says 1109 as well. I don't think it means anything.

jhanic
11-08-2009, 01:32 PM
1109 = November 09

John

tippy4
11-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Ooof...hopefully they actully have one they can replace it with...as opposed to just offering your money back (which obviously they'll do if you want it).

Have to say I'm underwhelmed...But I'm looking forward to it, don't get me wrong!

Still...Tippy, I backpedal on my previous $750 predicition...haha...

Yeah...market is flooded right now and will continue to be for the next month.

One went unsold yesterday with an opening bid of $395, but the six that have sold in the last seven days are still hovering around $400 ($375-$440) with one seller's (shibus) hitting $560.

I think prices might rise next month as we get closer to Christmas.

EDIT
7:56 PM 11/08
One just sold for $354 (3 bids on it).

Dolan
11-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Under The Dome review by The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/books/review/JParker-t.html?_r=1&hpw)

The reviewer wasn't very fond of King's writing style.

ConstanToweReader
11-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Was that a thumbs down?

nyy3723a
11-09-2009, 06:00 AM

Yes, I would want one.

Randall Flagg
11-09-2009, 06:06 AM
Not really. Just a chance for the reviewer to say he can write better than King.

johnsmith87
11-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Not really. Just a chance for the reviewer to say he can write better than King.

:wtf:

I'd like to see him try and write anything half as good as King. Some of these reviewers just like to bash King to try and make themselves feel better. Luckily most people can cut through the bullshit and know a great novel when they see one.

Gris
11-09-2009, 06:53 AM

I would definitely buy one. assuming my book ever shows up :( Am I the only one that didn't get a shipment notice yet?

Sir_Boomme
11-09-2009, 07:03 AM
so... if there is no limitation page saying 1 of 200 - how does one verify that there were only 200 copies?
as crooked as S&S is... it wouldn't surprise me that there were more. i doubt King sat down and counted actually them.

Nerak
11-09-2009, 07:25 AM
and there is always extra in case of damage..so who's to say they didn't print more books with the extra's????

One that I ordered was shipped two day air on the 5th and rescheduled for delivery for tomorrow! So, two day air that takes 5 days to arrive?? How much did I pay for shipping???????????

idlewarnings
11-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Am I the only one that didn't get a shipment notice yet?

I haven't received a shipping notice yet.

Dolan
11-09-2009, 08:14 AM
On Twitter, Audible confirmed that "Under The Dome" will be ONE credit.

So for those interested in checking out Audible, you get a free trial credit when you sign up...so essentially you can get the Under The Dome audiobook for FREE when you sign up (unless there is an unknown limitation put on a book that new, but I doubt it).

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the service and you should really check it out if you like audiobooks.

Audible (www.audible.com)

mae
11-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Amazon has lowered their price of the Collector's Edition to $39.69.

Randall Flagg
11-09-2009, 09:58 AM
so... if there is no limitation page saying 1 of 200 - how does one verify that there were only 200 copies?
as crooked as S&S is... it wouldn't surprise me that there were more. i doubt King sat down and counted actually them.
I thought there were/are 1,500.

tippy4
11-09-2009, 10:56 AM

There were 1,500...I think he was confusing it with the $200 price.

One that I ordered was shipped two day air on the 5th and rescheduled for delivery for tomorrow! So, two day air that takes 5 days to arrive?? How much did I pay for shipping???????????

You can't count weekends when dealing with UPS, so your 2 day package became a 3 day package due to a UPS error.

Shipping was actually pretty cheap...less than $10

carlosdetweiller
11-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Here is an advance review copy of UNDER THE DOME with a promotional brochure (only one page) laid in.

This is just a standard first edition book but the dj may be the variant with gray lettering as opposed to white lettering. I'll wait to get a real trade edition when they go on sale tomorrow and compare first hand. The lettering on this one is sort of a shiny gray metallic.

The number of advance states, collector editions, signed editions (both US and UK) is staggering.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/underthedomeadvancereviewcopy.jpg

jhanic
11-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Agreed. Does the copy with the darker lettering have any other indication that it's an advanced copy?

John

carlosdetweiller
11-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Agreed. Does the copy with the darker lettering have any other indication that it's an advanced copy?

John

None that I can see. $35.00 price on inner flap and a remarkable lack of other writing on either flap.

jhanic
11-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Interesting. I guess we'll find out tomorrow whether it's some kind of advance copy or a variant. I'll be hitting the bookstores.

John

flaggwalkstheline
11-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm gonna get it from the library and then pick it up many months later way cheaper used from target or something

:excited: Hooray for cheapness!

sarajean
11-09-2009, 12:19 PM
how the hell do you buy a used book at target?

flaggwalkstheline
11-09-2009, 12:26 PM
when I bought the hardcover duma key it was from a table of used books in the meager target books section in between the shelves otherwise filled with much more expensive novels by crichton and grisham, granted this was nearly a year after initial publication but I had already read the library copy

thats how:nana:

biomieg
11-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for posting, Bob. I'm looking forward to your monograph 'On bibliographical diversity among specimens of early-21st century
literary works concerning impenetrable Domes' :)

Cloysterpete
11-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Is it really going to get way cheaper than $8.99 it is now?, isn't that cheap enough lol.

Many thanks pablo for mentioning the collector's edition, the art and colored endpapers have tempted me, somehow I got it into my head that Amazon had stopped taking orders for it as you cant find it by searching for under the dome or even under the dome collector's edition, oh no you have to use the other editions bit on the page for the regular hc.

Btw for anyone who has pre-ordered the UK edition@Amazon you'll be charged a little less as it's down to £9 now.

mae
11-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Plus, don't forget the Collector's edition supposedly has better paper. Can anyone with both editions confirm that?

tippy4
11-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm gonna get it from the library and then pick it up many months later way cheaper used from target or something

uhhh they're $9 at amazon...how cheap do you want it?

tippy4
11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
$310 BUY IT NOW UTD S/L WITH FREE SHIPPING (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Under-The-Dome-SIGNED-LTD-MINT-NEW_W0QQitemZ150387575180QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fic tion_Books?hash=item2303cc498c)

Someone better jump on this if they are waiting for a deal.

That is only $85 over the S&S price once you figure that the buyer had to pay $25 in tax and shipping.

EDIT
AUCTION ENDED LESS THAN 1 MINUTE AFTER I POSTED THIS.

carlosdetweiller
11-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Interesting. I guess we'll find out tomorrow whether it's some kind of advance copy or a variant. I'll be hitting the bookstores.

John

This may be turn out to be just the standard trade edition dust jacket but it sort of reminded me of that listing that the mod at skmb had pulled from eBay. If I recall correctly there was some discussion about the lettering being darker than on images of the dj on the S&S website. I'll find out tomorrow, I guess.

Sir_Boomme
11-09-2009, 01:56 PM

There were 1,500...I think he was confusing it with the $200 price.

[

yeah...what tip said...

and you know that king probably didn't count all 1500...

if S&S snuck an extra 50 in... that'd be 50x200... and extra 10,000 bucks to line someone's pockets and extra 100 - make's em a cool 20 grand...and after king had signed 1,500---would he really notice the extras?

sorry... i just don't trust the greedies that work at S&S (as proven by their TGWLTG price hikes)

idlewarnings
11-09-2009, 02:37 PM
I never got a shipping notice but I got my signed copy in the mail today. I had no idea how thick and heavy this book was going to be. It's a monster.

A few pages back I saw the discussion on the stamped case. Was there any resolution on that? Did S&S mean the box the cards come in? If so, shame on them. I was expecting a slipcase.

flaggwalkstheline
11-09-2009, 02:54 PM

uhhh they're $9 at amazon...how cheap do you want it?

7$ for my used target duma key
and at hastings (a southwest music/movie/book chain) I got my "used" (really pristine) hardcover DT7 in 2007 for 5$

johnsmith87
11-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Don't forget to watch Good Morning America tomorrow!

flaggwalkstheline
11-09-2009, 02:57 PM
y?
I know sai king is gonna b on the view on wednesday but is gonna b on GMA 2?

johnsmith87
11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
y?

Yep! The View on Friday too.

Tuesday, Nov. 10th:

Good Morning America

Currently Scheduled for Friday, November 13th but subject to change:

The View

Air date not set yet:

The Colbert Report

Thursday, November 19 (Toronto)

CBC's 'The Hour' with George Stoumboulopoulos

thecollector
11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Tomas, would it be possible to create one for the basic trade edition as well for those getting signed copies this upcoming week?

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to have all 3 copies in my hands by the end of the week (S/L, gift, 1st) ideally all 3 will be similar enough in size that one case will fit all.... It also seems like quite a few people would like a case.

The question now is whether you want a more basic slipcase (like the DT cases) or a more elaborate but expensive traycase (like the STAND case)

I have a feeling cheaper is going to be better.... Not super cheap in quality mind you, but more basic and lower priced...of course your comments will tell.

lophophoras
11-09-2009, 04:01 PM
:orely:

jhanic
11-09-2009, 04:13 PM
The major difference I see is that the trade edition will not have the cards, so any add-on to the case wouldn't work too well with that one. Otherwise, I'd like to see a more basic case, rather than a more elaborate one.

John

lophophoras
11-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I like elaborate but I will settle for something decent to house the book and cards in.

Whatever you decide to do will be cool!

:rock:

tippy4
11-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Yep...seems like there is a need for both one that holds the cards and one that does not.

cody44
11-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I just got mine in the mail!!! :excited::excited:

It is beautiful, but it really needs to have a slipcase. I'm down for buying one from SKC though.

carlosdetweiller
11-09-2009, 05:30 PM
An UNDER THE DOME proof that I was watching on eBay has been removed. I got an e-mail from eBay hinting that it didn't follow eBay guidelines or wasn't allowed. Interesting.

jhanic
11-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I was watching that one also. I didn't get an email, but it IS gone. I'm a bit surprised, given that the trade is to be issued tomorrow.

John

Gris
11-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Got mine today as well! No shipping notice, but it's here.

Anyone else notice that there is no UPC/ISBN on the outside of the jacket?

Randall Flagg
11-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to have all 3 copies in my hands by the end of the week (S/L, gift, 1st) ideally all 3 will be similar enough in size that one case will fit all.... It also seems like quite a few people would like a case.

The question now is whether you want a more basic slipcase (like the DT cases) or a more elaborate but expensive traycase (like the STAND case)

I have a feeling cheaper is going to be better.... Not super cheap in quality mind you, but more basic and lower priced...of course your comments will tell.

The major difference I see is that the trade edition will not have the cards, so any add-on to the case wouldn't work too well with that one. Otherwise, I'd like to see a more basic case, rather than a more elaborate one.

John

Yep...seems like there is a need for both one that holds the cards and one that does not.
I suppose it wouldn't be as simple, but a design that held the book, with a separate "pocket?" for the cards could work for most everyone.

wizardsrainbow
11-09-2009, 06:22 PM
y?

Yep! The View on Friday too.

Tuesday, Nov. 10th:

Good Morning America

Currently Scheduled for Friday, November 13th but subject to change:

The View

Air date not set yet:

The Colbert Report

Thursday, November 19 (Toronto)

CBC's 'The Hour' with George Stoumboulopoulos

Yeah, and he's stopping by my house Wednesday morning

JK!

Rahfa
11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
I did notice the lack of the UPC, and it's nice that you can see the entire d/j without any obstructions.

Fsmdr
11-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Now, how does this seller managed to get a signed trade UTD before the tour?.

http://www.biblio.com/books/272237341.html

:scared::scared:

carlosdetweiller
11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Now, how does this seller managed to get a signed trade UTD before the tour?.

http://www.biblio.com/books/272237341.html

:scared::scared:

I don't think that he does. I "bought" a book from an identical listing of his on the ABE website for $140 about a week ago. I got an e-mail from him saying the book was mistakenly listed and offered all sorts of apologies. He seems a bit flakey to me.

Patrick
11-09-2009, 07:49 PM
My S/L arrived today. :)

Pasiuk57
11-09-2009, 07:59 PM
My signed limited arrived today-PERFECT Shape! Sealed.... lots of bubblewrap...

NeedfulKings
11-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Got mine!!! :excited::excited:

I have an Amazon copy coming and will start reading this weekend. :nana:

swintek
11-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Got my Collectors Edition via Amazon today. Nice book! I'll start on it tonight.

Tomas: count me in on a slip/traycase, but my vote is for something a little more elaborate than a standard slipcase. A couple of thoughts: it would be nice to provide someplace to store the cards, but I'd personally rather it be sized to hold just the cards, not the awful, flimsy box that the cards came in- I'd love an excuse to ditch it!. I'm sure there are those who would want to preserve the original box, but I'm not one of them. Although it might be too much to ask, I'd also like a place to store/display the delicate "belly band". There are lot of ways you could go with this, whether it's simply a couple of elastic bands to tuck it into, all the way to some kind of plastic sleeve to insert it into, possibly even on the outside of the case, thus displaying the title/author.

Whatever you decide to do- I'm in. I've got most of your cases and they're all great additions to my books.

Ron

Patrick
11-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I would love to see a magnetic traycase similar to the one that Tomas recently made for THE STAND. As that one has already been engineered, a follow-up larger version for UTD should be relatively easy for the designers.

The UTD traycase would also be simpler in that it would have a solid cover (no cut-out) to save on cost.

This traycase to have an thin interior slot (unseen from the outside, only visible when open) above the book to store the collector cards in their case.

It would have a somewhat simple exterior artwork/label design to echo that of the book cover and/or the band.

I would definitely pay $40 for a traycase like that, maybe a little more.

lophophoras
11-10-2009, 05:35 AM
My signed limited arrived today-PERFECT Shape! Sealed.... lots of bubblewrap...

I got mine yesterday as well, in perfect condition. No bumps or tears.

I was a little disappointed about it not having a slipcase though, at first. But since Tomas is offering to make one, I'm not going to sweat that anymore.

All in all, I am satisfied with the book. The detail of the dust jacket, the ribbon, and the cards along with King's signature, it was worth the $200.00. Scribner could have provided a limitation page for King to sign but they didn't. I can't allow myself to be surprised about that.

I should be getting my trade copy and gift edition later this week. I figured I would stop by the book store today to get a reading copy. I can't wait!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-10-2009, 06:19 AM
UK Under the Dome
Hardback and Paperback

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/medium/UTD_UK.jpg

Patrick
11-10-2009, 06:21 AM
I like the look of the UK editions. :thumbsup:

lophophoras
11-10-2009, 06:23 AM
I do too. I like the darker colors.

idlewarnings
11-10-2009, 07:20 AM
I'd be more than satisfied with a simple slipcase.

thecollector
11-10-2009, 08:25 AM

Unfortunately making 2 seperate cases just isn't practical, both from an inventory perspective and the fact that you need to order a certain minim amount in order for the costs not to be astronomical.

But I think the simple solution is to make the case just a bit deeper. Right now the cards are housed at the top of the book, but there's nothing stopping them from sitting in the front of the book (not in front of the spine...oposit, in front of the white pages between the boards).

The cards stick out maybe 1/4 of an inch so just making the case slightly deeper would allow you to hold the cards and the book. For those books that don't have the cards, there'd be a little extra room.

tippy4
11-10-2009, 08:32 AM
I think you should keep them housed on top.

If you put them in front of the page ends, people are going to jam the book in and crush the cards.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-10-2009, 08:42 AM
I think you should keep them housed on top.

If you put them in front of the page ends, people are going to jam the book in and crush the cards.

I agree. Not trying to promote my design but I would rather have the slot in the top.

When I put my signed 1st edition from one of the events in the slipcase I understand the top will be open. It doesn't bother me to see that opening. In fact I may slide in the event tickets in there.

Ralph Mulleins

Randall Flagg
11-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I like that idea.

lophophoras
11-10-2009, 08:57 AM
I like the 'cards on top' idea as well.

jhanic
11-10-2009, 09:44 AM
There are two variants of the trade edition dust jacket--one with the white lettering and the other with the dark gray lettering. I went to my local Borders Express and they had both versions on the shelf in approximately the same numbers.

John

mae
11-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Amazon has upped their price for the trade edition to $17.50. Still a 50% off discount, but I guess the price war is over. And the Collector's Edition is back to its original price of $40.50.

biomieg
11-10-2009, 10:22 AM
There are two variants of the trade edition dust jacket--one with the white lettering and the other with the dark gray lettering. I went to my local Borders Express and they had both versions on the shelf in approximately the same numbers.

John
Hmmm... I wonder which variant I'll be receiving from Amazon... and I particularly wonder if I'll be able to resist the temptation to buy the other variant as well... :cry:

mae
11-10-2009, 10:24 AM
So this is the third King book with a variant DJ, the other two being The Tommyknockers and Insomnia?

biomieg
11-10-2009, 10:27 AM
So this is the third King book with a variant DJ, the other two being The Tommyknockers and Insomnia?

Yes, I believe it is (not considering the various proof DJs and the UK Black House variants).

Fsmdr
11-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Any news on the UK S/L Edition?.

Cloysterpete
11-10-2009, 10:51 AM

It's getting silly now isn't it!, the books is out now and they still aren't selling the limited. Maybe they got King to sign those 500 sheets of paper then they all got lost en route to the UK lol.

Fsmdr
11-10-2009, 11:02 AM

It's getting silly now isn't it!, the books is out now and they still aren't selling the limited. Maybe they got King to sign those 500 sheets of paper then they all got lost en route to the UK lol.

That makes it a total of 7 edition I will have to own so far.

- 2 variant trade edition
- 1 signed trade edition from the tour
- 1 Collector's edition
- 1 S/L Collector's edition
- 1 UK trade edition
- 1 UK S/L edition

Am I missing anything else?. That's a lot of books for one novel!.

carlosdetweiller
11-10-2009, 11:05 AM

- 1 Collector's edition
- 1 UK trade edition
- 1 UK S/L edition

Proof states for both US and UK editions, advance excerpt for UK edition, ARC for US edition with the ISBN sticker on back, proof dust jacket for US edition and, just for good measure, advance excerpt in Entertainment Weekly.

Fsmdr
11-10-2009, 11:13 AM

- 1 Collector's edition
- 1 UK trade edition
- 1 UK S/L edition

Proof states for both US and UK editions, advance excerpt for UK edition, ARC for US edition with the ISBN sticker on back, proof dust jacket for US edition and, just for good measure, advance excerpt in Entertainment Weekly.

Mind boggling. :doh:

This is not a Stephen King collection anymore. This is the Under The Dome collection.

jhanic
11-10-2009, 12:41 PM
And don't forget the audio version, either. :P

John

tippy4
11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Me, I am going to stick with one Trade, one Signed Trade, one US Signed Collector's Edition, and one UK Signed Collector's Edition.

After I read the Trade edition, I might just donate it to my local library.

Thank God I do not collect UK trades or ARCs.

Ricky
11-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Regarding elaborate vs. basic, I think somewhere in the middle. Personally, I'd love a traycase, but I'm not sure if you'd get as many orders vs. basic ones due to the price being higher. If a traycase if made, I'd prefer a non-magnetic opening/closing. Just my personal preference though.

Whatever is produced, I'm buying one for sure.

namelessnpoor
11-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Thought i would sahre what i have found out about the Baltimore signing in case anyone is planning on attending. I live only about 30 minutes away from the Walmart but after todays info i may avoid the whole thng. According to the Walmart, the line formation begings at 7am, according to them no one can be in line befor that. they will not start giving out bracelets until 10am. You canonly get books signed that were purchased from that Walmart and they say you will have to show a receipt (not sure how thats going to work out). Then after doing all that to get a bracelte and a book, the signing is not until 6pm. So you will have to go back to the Walmart and get in line to get your book signed after King speaks for approximately 15 minutes.

Seems like a whole lot of hassle, i am a big King fan and i love collecting and reading the books, but thats a whole day waiting in lines at Walmart in the city ( they could have picked a much better venue and area) to get a book that i can probably buy from one of you later on for $150-$200 and i didn't waster an entire day.

Dolan
11-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Thought i would sahre what i have found out about the Baltimore signing in case anyone is planning on attending. I live only about 30 minutes away from the Walmart but after todays info i may avoid the whole thng. According to the Walmart, the line formation begings at 7am, according to them no one can be in line befor that. they will not start giving out bracelets until 10am. You canonly get books signed that were purchased from that Walmart and they say you will have to show a receipt (not sure how thats going to work out). Then after doing all that to get a bracelte and a book, the signing is not until 6pm. So you will have to go back to the Walmart and get in line to get your book signed after King speaks for approximately 15 minutes.

Seems like a whole lot of hassle, i am a big King fan and i love collecting and reading the books, but thats a whole day waiting in lines at Walmart in the city ( they could have picked a much better venue and area) to get a book that i can probably buy from one of you later on for $150-$200 and i didn't waster an entire day.

Actually - that sounds pretty similar to any book signing that I have gone to in NYC for someone of King's caliber. The only difference is that usually if the line up is at 7am for bracelets, they will have the signing at 10am or 11am. 6pm is silly. The question to then ask is if you are #4 getting your wristband, are you still #4 when you get back? Or does the line start all over again?

I totally understand your frustration though...

SkippyD023
11-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I just received an e-mail from Cemetery Dance stating that they are offering Slipcases and Traycases for UTD.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/_domecases

• Custom-made REGULAR SLIPCASE for the regular trade edition featuring hot foil stamping on the spine ($24.95)

• Custom-made DELUXE SLIPCASE for the Collector's Gift Edition featuring a different cloth material than the regular slipcase and hot foil stamping on the front and the spine ($29.95)

• Custom-made DELUXE TRAYCASE (like you'd expect to see on one of our Lettered Editions) for the Signed Limited Edition featuring hot foil stamping on the front and the spine ($49.95)

Dolan
11-10-2009, 02:27 PM
I'd rather get it from SKC to be honest...

Rahfa
11-10-2009, 02:28 PM
They might as well offer one for the paperback edition, since that's when they'll deliver them...

johnsmith87
11-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I just received an e-mail from Cemetery Dance stating that they are offering Slipcases and Traycases for UTD.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/_domecases

• Custom-made REGULAR SLIPCASE for the regular trade edition featuring hot foil stamping on the spine ($24.95)

• Custom-made DELUXE SLIPCASE for the Collector's Gift Edition featuring a different cloth material than the regular slipcase and hot foil stamping on the front and the spine ($29.95)

• Custom-made DELUXE TRAYCASE (like you'd expect to see on one of our Lettered Editions) for the Signed Limited Edition featuring hot foil stamping on the front and the spine ($49.95)

I'll pass.

SkippyD023
11-10-2009, 02:34 PM

I would as well. Just thought I would post it to let everyone know.

swintek
11-10-2009, 02:39 PM
They might as well offer one for the paperback edition, since that's when they'll deliver them...

:dance:

Dolan
11-10-2009, 02:52 PM

Oh of course...! Thank you for the information, of course. Just the history we have with CD tells me that as a buyer, I have N E V E R been dissatisfied with SKC's slipcases...

Míchéal
11-10-2009, 02:57 PM
So are unsigned collectors editions still available?

SkippyD023
11-10-2009, 03:04 PM
It is still available from Amazon for $40.50.

Míchéal
11-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah I noticed that but was worried I was looking at old info, Thanks dude :)

willie3
11-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Now let me get this straight...

CD claims all their books will be delayed until after the first of the year (read July) because their slipcase and traycase manufacturer went out of business owing CD money, and the new manufacturer is not set up to handle CD's volume.

Now CD is soliciting slipcases and traycases that they have already said they cannot deliver in a timely manner.

Do I look f#ckin' stupid?

WTF?:angry:

Karl

Dolan
11-10-2009, 03:20 PM

CD claims all their books will be delayed until after the first of the year (read July) because their slipcase and traycase manufacturer went out of business owing CD money, and the new manufacturer is not set up to handle CD's volume.

Now CD is soliciting slipcases and traycases that they have already said they cannot deliver in a timely manner.

Karl

Amazing way of putting it...

jhanic
11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
I'll also pass on the Cemetary Dance cases. They sound nice, but...

As far as the availability of the unsigned Collector's Set, when I went to Borders Express today they had none--I asked. Amazon may be the only place to get one now.

John

lophophoras
11-10-2009, 03:58 PM

Oh of course...! Thank you for the information, of course. Just the history we have with CD tells me that as a buyer, I have N E V E R been dissatisfied with SKC's slipcases...

Exactly!

swintek
11-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Re: CD UTD Slipcases:

I wonder if this does put a big dampener on Tomas' plans. I think most of us would rather buy from him, but CD with their huge mailing list will really cut into his sales, regardless. Bummer.

Dr. Dawg
11-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Tomas, does CD's announced plans for a slipcase/traycase change your plans at all? If I know that there are going to be Collector slipcases for sale, I will wait and buy AT LEAST one for sure. Otherwise I may take my chances and order a traycase from CD.

Randall Flagg
11-10-2009, 06:21 PM

- 1 Collector's edition
- 1 UK trade edition
- 1 UK S/L edition

...and a partridge in a pear tree....:dance:

Randall Flagg
11-10-2009, 06:28 PM
The CD slipcases (imaginary; as they do not and likely will not exist in less than 1 year) really are appealing. Far greater than what skcollector.com can offer...except I do not wish to give CD my money for a slipcase that will essentially never arrive. I want and will pay for a product delivered prior to 5/10/10..six months is more than enough.

F1racefan
11-10-2009, 09:16 PM
I just got my $9 Amazon copy of UTD and it has the gray lettering on the cover. It is pretty cool as the lettering is raised compared to the flat white lettering on the other version. I like it!:thumbsup:

It is interesting sitting the unopened Collectors edition next to the S/L edition....the only way to tell them apart is by the price sticker on the back:wtf:

Patrick
11-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Karl
Karl, that was exactly my reaction too when I received CD's email.

Tomas, I would love to see you offer something different and higher quality than CD's alleged product. Which brings me back to the slipcase concept...

Zardoz67
11-11-2009, 01:59 AM
Hi there. I have just been announced as the winner of Hodder's Under The Dome promotion in the UK. As discussed previously on the thread the prize was a limited edition printer's proof of Under the Dome which arrived yesterday by courier see here (http://yfrog.com/e6viqj). It has no cover art is in a protective plastic case and is numbered 16/200. In addition the map at the front of the book isn't there, although there is a placeholder saying 'map to come'. I have now put it in a very safe place away from the kids and will be buying a reading copy just to be on the safe side. I also gave an interview (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/nov/10/stephen-king-under-dome-hide) to The Guardian newspaper concerning the competition in general and Stephen King.

Bev Vincent
11-11-2009, 03:16 AM
Congratulations, Zardoz. Cool win!

Calla_Wolf
11-11-2009, 03:55 AM
Hi there. I have just been announced as the winner of Hodder's Under The Dome promotion in the UK. As discussed previously on the thread the prize was a limited edition printer's proof of Under the Dome which arrived yesterday by courier see here (http://yfrog.com/e6viqj). It has no cover art is in a protective plastic case and is numbered 16/200. In addition the map at the front of the book isn't there, although there is a placeholder saying 'map to come'. I have now put it in a very safe place away from the kids and will be buying a reading copy just to be on the safe side. I also gave an interview (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/nov/10/stephen-king-under-dome-hide) to The Guardian newspaper concerning the competition in general and Stephen King.

Wooooohooooo. Good for you matey

wizardsrainbow
11-11-2009, 04:05 AM
OK, I went to the NYC event last night and it was GREAT. Sat in the 3rd row with all of my DT friends (Ari and companions, Gris and wife and Mark Stutzman). The stage was SO CLOSE, King was like 15 feet away is all.

Biggest news is that King stated that he has another DT story in him to tell...Roland's adventures after Wizard and Glass until LSOE. No dates or anything given, but sounds like he will write a novel about the fall of Gilead, battle of Jerricho Hill, and Roland's start on the quest for the Dark Tower.

He also said that a sequal to Black House is still in the works (known info), but also he has always wondered what happened to Danny Torrence. He'd be about 40 now, says King....

Signed books went as follows. As we stood in line, each of us picked from a huge deck of Ryder playing cards. If you got a regular card (Ace-King) you got a signed book at the end. If you drew a blank card, you could stand in line after everyone else got their books for any that were left. I got a 7 of clubs and a blank card (my son bailed on me cause of homework and the new Call of Duty 6 video game that came out!). I waited 45 minutes after the show, got my signed book and returned to the line again, waited (much shorter) and there were still books available, but they would only sell me two more (so 3 in total). Ari and Gris went back and got more books too, as did others. All sold out in the end.

Míchéal
11-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Fantastic!!!! New Dt books :thumbsup:

wizardsrainbow
11-11-2009, 05:09 AM
OK. This rankles my fur. Here is a guy supposedly with 7 copies of last night's book. Unless he bought books off people outside the venue (there were vultures out there, so someone told me), then I don't see how this guy has so many. All people who purchased books walked past the others in line. Didn't see anyone loaded with 70 pounds of books.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-signed-UNDER-THE-DOME-1st-1st-rare_W0QQitemZ300365906214QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item45ef340126

Several on eBay from $199-$350.

lophophoras
11-11-2009, 05:15 AM
The Good Morning America interview was great! If you guys didn't see it go over to ABCnews.com and check it out.

lophophoras
11-11-2009, 05:22 AM
He also said that a sequal to Black House is still in the works (known info), but also he has always wondered what happened to Danny Torrence. He'd be about 40 now, says King....

Danny Torrence at 40 years old? The Shining II? That is interesting.

:orely:

jhanic
11-11-2009, 06:46 AM

Zardoz67, it appears that what you won was one of the 200 Advance Readers Copies issued by Hodder & Stoughton. Is yours personalized in any way? I have copy #143 of the 200.

I liked your interview!

John

Clacke
11-11-2009, 07:07 AM
You haven't completed your Under The Dome collection until you've grabbed this ;) :

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Stephen-King-Under-the-Dome-Original-Shipping-Box-Empty_W0QQitemZ220508830712QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item335759bbf8

jhanic
11-11-2009, 07:09 AM
:doh:

John

Bev Vincent
11-11-2009, 07:11 AM
But what do you pack it in? :cool:

Randall Flagg
11-11-2009, 07:11 AM
I have one of those. I also have an extra original shipping box for the S/L UTD.

Rahfa
11-11-2009, 07:23 AM
OK. This rankles my fur. Here is a guy supposedly with 7 copies of last night's book. Unless he bought books off people outside the venue (there were vultures out there, so someone told me), then I don't see how this guy has so many. All people who purchased books walked past the others in line. Didn't see anyone loaded with 70 pounds of books.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-signed-UNDER-THE-DOME-1st-1st-rare_W0QQitemZ300365906214QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item45ef340126

I'm sure that's exactly what he did...

You, Ari and Gris walked out with 9 books between you, right? He probably had a couple guys with him, then maybe bought a couple more on the street. You guys actually got more than he did, so...

mae
11-11-2009, 07:35 AM
OK, I went to the NYC event last night and it was GREAT. Sat in the 3rd row with all of my DT friends (Ari and companions, Gris and wife and Mark Stutzman). The stage was SO CLOSE, King was like 15 feet away is all.

Biggest news is that King stated that he has another DT story in him to tell...Roland's adventures after Wizard and Glass until LSOE. No dates or anything given, but sounds like he will write a novel about the fall of Gilead, battle of Jerricho Hill, and Roland's start on the quest for the Dark Tower.

I was there also. I tried to get in touch with Gris, but unfortunately couldn't. That's okay, because the event was amazingly cool. One other tidbit that King shared was that Under the Dome is going to be a miniseries on HBO. I'm not sure if he said that jokingly, or for real, but it sounded to me like the truth. If so, this is the first I'm hearing about this, and I think it would be great. Perhaps it could work as a test whether HBO would like to try The Dark Tower next.

Sam
11-11-2009, 07:37 AM

What REALLY bothers me about his auction is that he's actively lying about the provenance of the books. Unannounced signing at Borders my aching ass. It leads me to think he got one signed book (used for the picture) and has forged the other six.

carlosdetweiller
11-11-2009, 08:16 AM
What REALLY bothers me about his auction is that he's actively lying about the provenance of the books. Unannounced signing at Borders my aching ass. It leads me to think he got one signed book (used for the picture) and has forged the other six.

I'm over a thousand miles away from NYC and have no idea what occurred last night but I think it is possible that King could have signed some copies at Borders prior to the event. He has done that before and quite often at the Barnes & Noble store in Sarasota. The book being auctioned has one of those "autographed copy" stickers like bookstores use. Did the books from the signing/lecture last night have those stickers?

tippy4
11-11-2009, 08:20 AM
One signed trade sold for $249 last night.

I am going to tell all of you right now that anyone who pays more than $150 for a signed trade is a chump (yeah, I know that is a bit harsh).

The market is going to be flooded with signed copies (both trade and SL).

Between the bad economy and the surplus copies, it is going to be a buyer's market on this title.

Hell, there are 23 auctions right now for signed copies!

tippy4
11-11-2009, 08:25 AM
So David, are you saying that everyone who wanted a signed book got one?

It sounds like you are saying that you got three books, and you only had two tickets......so I assume that they sold you a third book because there were extras left over?

Zardoz67
11-11-2009, 08:28 AM

Zardoz67, it appears that what you won was one of the 200 Advance Readers Copies issued by Hodder & Stoughton. Is yours personalized in any way? I have copy #143 of the 200.

I liked your interview!

John

Thanks John. The interview came out of the blue and I spoke to the Guardian journalist for a good 15 minutes and by some miracle was not misquoted. To be honest it sounded like she was a fan as well. Glad they left the Dickens bit in as that is what I truly believe. Charles Dickens wrote for the masses, it's only now considered literature. In 100 years Stephen King will be the same.

As for the book, what is an advanced readers copy? Was it sent out to proof readers prior to publication? It's in such pristine condition that I would be surprised if it's been read before. It was sent to me as a 'limited edition printer's proof' (PR speak?) and not personalized in any way other than the 16/200 on the inside cover. Is it worth anything? Not that I want to sell it but I would be interested to know. I also won a 4* hotel stay so can't complain...

Patrick
11-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Welcome to TDT.com, Zardoz. Congratulations on your win! Please make yourself at home and jump into any discussion at hand. Note that once you hit a low "5" posts, more member abilities will open to you. There is a thread here that discusses ARCs, Proofs, etc. and their definitions.

David, thanks for sharing the story of last night. Sounds like a great night!

Clacke, thanks for posting that eBay link, I needed the laugh.

thecollector
11-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Tomas, does CD's announced plans for a slipcase/traycase change your plans at all? If I know that there are going to be Collector slipcases for sale, I will wait and buy AT LEAST one for sure. Otherwise I may take my chances and order a traycase from CD.

Hey folks,

I saw the CD announcement yesterday as well. I was surprised. Willie summed it up pretty well.

Originally Posted by willie3 View Post

Now I'm not here to start bashing CD, it's possible that they will actually produce 3 different cases for all editions of the book. And when I have seen a case produced from them (FAB8, SOC) the cases have been very well put together. Their customer list is large so I'm sure some folks who would otherwise buy from me will go with CD.... That's fine I make the cases because I see a need and I fill it. Plus I really enjoy designing these things and seeing them come to life. :)

I had already been taking about a case before CD's announcement went out; so I sent out my own newsletter last night. And enough people indicated interest that I will be making a case

I can't make 2 seperate slipcases and a traycase like CD is offering. I just don't sell enough of these to be able to spread out like that.

Personally I feel that since this is a less elaborate edition then most, a simpler slipcase would be appropriate. Simpler doesn't mean I'm banging out cheap cloth over some chipboard. This will be another high quality case, but it will be a slipcase, and it will sell for under $30. I'm expecting the case will be ready to ship to everyone sometime in January.

The one thing that CD's announcement will force me to do is have a pre-sale. Since I'm not sure how many people will be ordering from them I'm going to need to give the bindery a firm number of cases to produce ahead of time, instead of guessing based on past orders.

More details will come as the design gets finalized and these get available for presale.

mae
11-11-2009, 09:41 AM
As a geeky aside, if you got the book at Wal-Mart for $8.98, you paid 0.0083612662942272 cents per page.

However, if you went with Amazon, and their price of nine bucks even, you paid significantly :P more, a whopping 0.0083798882681564 cents per page.

Must be the deal of the century. Or, like, ever.

Patrick
11-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the update, Tomas. I'm sure the CD announcement complicates things a bit. Hopefully it's gratifying to know that you've got a lot of support from this collector base. We're all familiar with the quality of your work and your ability to get things done in a reasonable timeframe.

In terms of your slipcase, will you go with concept of the card case behind or above the book but in the same space? Or have you decided on that aspect yet?

This is just my opinion, but I have concerns about storing the complete package (book and card case) that way, mainly because of the risk of dinging something up a bit in there - either the book, dj or case.

Randall Flagg
11-11-2009, 09:59 AM
In terms of your slipcase, will you go with concept of the card case behind or above the book but in the same space? Or have you decided on that aspect yet?

This is just my opinion, but I have concerns about storing the complete package (book and card case) that way, mainly because of the risk of dinging something up a bit in there - either the book, dj or case.
I second that.

jhanic
11-11-2009, 10:01 AM
As for the book, what is an advanced readers copy? Was it sent out to proof readers prior to publication? It's in such pristine condition that I would be surprised if it's been read before. It was sent to me as a 'limited edition printer's proof' (PR speak?) and not personalized in any way other than the 16/200 on the inside cover. Is it worth anything? Not that I want to sell it but I would be interested to know. I also won a 4* hotel stay so can't complain...

Yes, it is worth some decent money. As it said, there are only a maximum of 200 copies out there.

As for the definition of proof/ARC, here's an article I had published on a book collecting site. The first part of the article discusses the exact issue:

http://www.hyraxia.com/the-newspaper/articles/232-collecting-stephen-king-proofs-by-john-hanic.html

(And welcome to this site!)

John

thecollector
11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the update, Tomas. I'm sure the CD announcement complicates things a bit. Hopefully it's gratifying to know that you've got a lot of support from this collector base. We're all familiar with the quality of your work and your ability to get things done in a reasonable timeframe.

It is VERY gratifying.

Once the bindery gets the books they'll be able to give me a better idea but as I see it, the easiest thing would be to just make the case a little deeper so you can put the cards behind the book, or taller to hold it as is...Or just have folks put the pack of cards above the slipcase on the shelf.

It would probably be a little wierd to have some sort of small secondary holder attached to the side of the case - and expensive to make.... But like I said I won't have that finalized untill the bindery sees what they're working with.

I am open to any ideas at this point.

wizardsrainbow
11-11-2009, 10:27 AM
So David, are you saying that everyone who wanted a signed book got one?

It sounds like you are saying that you got three books, and you only had two tickets......so I assume that they sold you a third book because there were extras left over?

Correct.

turtlex
11-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Wow. So cool, everyone who wanted one, got a signed copy.

I wasn't able to make the NYC event, so donated the tickets to Karen for auction for her Walk for Breast Cancer Cure.... so I hope who won the tickets was able to get an autographed copy as well.

In the mean time - I've still not heard back from S&S regarding my damaged book ( the belt was ripped ) !! And honestly, for $200 smackers, you'd think they'd get back in touch.

Patrick
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
...I am open to any ideas at this point.
Here's a quick mock-up of what I would love to buy from you.

Of course, the proportions are different for UTD, but it's your traycase for THE STAND, without the window (nor the related plastic sheet) but with a thin shelf space for the card case. Using a different material or monochromatic would be just fine too if that helps reduce your production costs.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/King-UTDtrayMock1.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/King-UTDtrayMock2.jpg

Love the idea? Hate it?
Too expensive to produce?
Not enough demand from the owners of the 1500 S/L's and the plentiful unsigned collector's edition at the necessary price point?
What do you all think?

turtlex
11-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Patrick - That looks exactly like what I was thinking!

thecollector
11-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Love the idea? Hate it?
Too expensive to produce?
Not enough demand from the owners of the 1500 S/L's and the plentiful unsigned collector's edition at the necessary price point?
What do you all think?

I will definitely float it to the bindery and see what they say (and will do the same for any other ideas that get posted).

NeedfulKings
11-11-2009, 11:52 AM
I got my trade edition. I don't know which variant is more popular, but my has raised while lettering on the cover and spine of the dustjacket.

I like Patrick's mock up. If you decide to just go with a deeper slipcase, can you build a half wall in the back (inside) of the slipcase that a) the cards would slip behind and b) would prevent the book and card box from contacting each other.

Thanks! I'm still with you -vs- CD.

lophophoras
11-11-2009, 11:52 AM

Patrick
11-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for your consideration, Tomas. If the traycase cost is too prohibitive and you want to keep it to a slipcase, I would like to see something along the line of Ralph's earlier suggestion:

... I would rather have the slot in the top.

When I put my signed 1st edition from one of the events in the slipcase I understand the top will be open. It doesn't bother me to see that opening. In fact I may slide in the event tickets in there.

Ralph Mulleins

Gris
11-11-2009, 05:57 PM

I'm sure that's exactly what he did...

You, Ari and Gris walked out with 9 books between you, right? He probably had a couple guys with him, then maybe bought a couple more on the street. You guys actually got more than he did, so...

There was one older guy that sent his wife outside (she has long grey hair, couldn't miss her) that was hitting up every single person that walked out the door to see if they either had a card or would sell their copy. He was also still standing there as we all left the building having made a a 2nd trip through the line so he could get whatever was left. My back is happy we only got 2 each.

Way I figure it, 1 for us, 1 for my sis who is a huge fan, and 2 for eBay to pay for the trip.

I would not be hard. of the 4 copies we got, NONE of them were the same sig. I was joking at our dinner afterwards that the experts would be arguing about whether these are legitimate or not. Here are out 4...

This is the one I kept...
http://allgris.dns4me.com:8085/books/Images%5CUnderTheDome_ag.jpg

These are the other 3... Look at the Gs
http://www.allgris.com/temp/book1sig.jpg
http://www.allgris.com/temp/book2sig.jpg
http://www.allgris.com/temp/book3sig.jpg

One signed trade sold for $249 last night.

I am going to tell all of you right now that anyone who pays more than $150 for a signed trade is a chump (yeah, I know that is a bit harsh).

The market is going to be flooded with signed copies (both trade and SL).

Between the bad economy and the surplus copies, it is going to be a buyer's market on this title.

Hell, there are 23 auctions right now for signed copies! 2 are ours. I'm not shamed to admit it. If I can get someone to bite on them and pay for the trip, then Yay!!

Pablo, I'm sorry I missed you. I didn't have any missed calls, so it must have been after I already turned the phone off for the interview. It was great, wasn't it?

A few people have mentioned Danny Torrence would be 40 now, but noone has yet mentioned the part where he said Charlie from FireStarter would be the same age. And that they shold hook up and the kids they'd have :D

divemaster
11-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I want a case from the collector guy, not CD. And I'll pre-pay.

wahlers
11-12-2009, 05:34 AM
I didn't notice the two trade variations and picked up the one with the dark grey lettering. Hmmm... I've been bothered by how on the shelf it's hard to tell there's a title, but at the same time, I like how it blends more into the art. Now I'm torn.

Oh, and I'm not at home, so I don't have access to my book and was wondering if anybody could post a description of where the town is located as it was described near the beginning of the book. I remember it saying how Castle Rock was to the south and west and Harlow was to the south, etc. I'm trying to describe to a co-worker where it was situated. Thanks in advance!

Dolan
11-12-2009, 06:21 AM
GOD the wait for mine to arrive from Target.com is UNBEARABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to stop myself, several times, from walking into Barnes and Noble and buying it with this copy on the way!

lophophoras
11-12-2009, 06:34 AM
LOL...same here. I'm waiting on mine from Amazon.

They still haven't shipped it yet.

:angry:

I have a feeling that I'll pick up a copy somewhere this weekend.

biomieg
11-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Slightly off-topic, but should anyone be interested in a copy of the Dutch numbered hardcover edition (unsigned, 1 of 750), please notify me. I'm expecting two copies next week and I'm only interested in keeping one. The total costs including shipping to the US would probably be around $80, to the UK around £35. Here are some (not-so-great) photos I took off the internet:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3624/93694240.jpg
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6910/46674121.jpg
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3665/62771498.jpg

'Gevangen' means 'Caught' or 'Captured', by the way.

Randall Flagg
11-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Oh, and I'm not at home, so I don't have access to my book and was wondering if anybody could post a description of where the town is located as it was described near the beginning of the book. I remember it saying how Castle Rock was to the south and west and Harlow was to the south, etc. I'm trying to describe to a co-worker where it was situated. Thanks in advance!
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Chester_s_Mill_Map.JPG

wahlers
11-12-2009, 08:49 AM
In the book though, didn't they mention where Cleave's Mill was to it as well?

Bev Vincent
11-12-2009, 09:21 AM
The Mill was actually surrounded by four towns larger in area but smaller in population: Motton, to the south and southeast; Harlow to the east and northeast; the unicorporated TR-90 to the north; and Tarker’s Mills to the west.

I don't recall any mention of Cleaves Mills.

tamez
11-12-2009, 09:29 AM
:thumbsup: got mine yesterday thanks to the veteran's
i read the first paragraph and fell asleep
but only because i was tired :unsure:
i have it here at work in case i get a spare moment.

Rahfa
11-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Got the trade edition Tuesday...I was going to wait until the Ports. Music Hall event, when I'll be getting a signed trade, but figured for $9 from Amazon, why wait?

On about page 250...

I have my s/l edition on ebay...didn't intend to sell when I bought it, but changed my mind not long after.

Dolan
11-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Did anyone else read the manuscript format that King uploaded to his site a few weeks ago? i was loving the "trapped in a building" format. The "trapped in a town" should be interesting too!

jhanic
11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Kenny, are you talking about The Cannibals? That was neat!

John

Dolan
11-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Kenny, are you talking about The Cannibals? That was neat!

John

Yes! I am dying for King to put out the rest of it! I love it!

Cloysterpete
11-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Did anyone else read the manuscript format that King uploaded to his site a few weeks ago? i was loving the "trapped in a building" format. The "trapped in a town" should be interesting too!

Well if you listen to the vid from one of the signing events on lilja's site King says there may well be one more Bachman book, add this to the knowledge from Marsha that King was surprised how good Cannibals was when he re-read the manuscript and it's possible that we will see all of it released. Thats if King can think of an ending for it after all these years :orely:

Dolan
11-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Well if you listen to the vid from one of the signing events on lilja's site King says there may well be one more Bachman book, add this to the knowledge from Marsha that King was surprised how good Cannibals was when he re-read the manuscript and it's possible that we will see all of it released. Thats if King can think of an ending for it after all these years :orely:

Ahhhhmazing! I throughly enjoyed it!

My book still isn't here - I AM DYING!

Gris
11-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Just a confirmation about 2 jacket states...

The books we got from the NYC event were all gray raised lettering. The book I got today from amazon is flat white letters.

mae
11-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Well, it's really purplish-gray lettering.

NeedfulKings
11-12-2009, 03:06 PM

The books we got from the NYC event were all gray raised lettering. The book I got today from amazon is flat white letters.

Okay, my lettering is white, and there's no doubt that they are raised (both on the cover and spine). So, is there a 3rd jacket?

Brice
11-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Actually they made each jacket slightly different just to drive us collectors crazy. :panic:

NeedfulKings
11-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Actually they made each jacket slightly different just to drive us collectors crazy. :panic:

It's working!!! :cyclops:

:wtf:

Brice
11-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Just imagine what it'd do to the completists.

SkippyD023
11-12-2009, 03:34 PM

Okay, my lettering is white, and there's no doubt that they are raised (both on the cover and spine). So, is there a 3rd jacket?

Both of my books came from Amazon and have the white raised lettering.

jhanic
11-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I figured out why they have the two colors of lettering!

The white lettering is OUTSIDE the dome; the dirty grey lettering is INSIDE!
John

Randall Flagg
11-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I figured out why they have the two colors of lettering!

The white lettering is OUTSIDE the dome; the dirty grey lettering is INSIDE!
John
Guess as to the ratio of DJ's? I saw the gray one at an independent bookseller yesterday, the gray lettered one I've seen in person. I saw dozens at Costco and at Barnes and Noble-all with the white lettering.

Patrick
11-12-2009, 04:48 PM
John: :rofl:

My local Borders had only the white lettered version yesterday.

(We have no B&N around here to the best of my knowledge.)

mae
11-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Well S&S is using the image with the white lettering to promote the book, so can we assume that's the primary state? I kinda like the gray one, which is what I have.

willie3
11-12-2009, 05:39 PM
I was in the Atlanta B&N where SK will be doing his signing tomorrow and all they had on the shelf and displays were the dark lettered ones.

And John I love your expanation for the two different jackets !!

Karl

carlosdetweiller
11-12-2009, 06:13 PM
And John I love your expanation for the two different jackets !!

Yes, I do too. It seems so obvious now but I never thought of it.

Gris
11-12-2009, 06:44 PM
My white letters are raised. Sorry for my misinformation.

NeedfulKings
11-12-2009, 07:03 PM
My white letters are raised. Sorry for my misinformation.

Whew! All is right in the world now. :)

I'm 130 pages in and loving the "feel" of this story.

Patrick
11-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm probably the only member here who owns two copies of UTD but has not yet started it.

First I want to finish FROM A BUICK 8 as this is my first time reading it and I'm enjoying the story.

lophophoras
11-13-2009, 05:10 AM
My trade copy that I got from Amazon has the white lettering. I'll hunt down a dark lettering copy this weekend.

NeedfulKings
11-13-2009, 05:41 AM
I'm probably the only member here who owns two copies of UTD but has not yet started it.

First I want to finish FROM A BUICK 8 as this is my first time reading it and I'm enjoying the story.

I was like you--I wanted to finish my current read before starting UTD. I did that, but had to lock myself in a room to avoid distractions, lol.

I really enjoyed FAB8, Patrick. After I read it, I said to myself "why did I wait so long?"

Solar
11-13-2009, 06:16 AM

I'm right there with you. I have a few signed Under The Dome copies, but am still finishing a reading of The Shining before I start it. The wait would be painful if The Shining wasn't so damn good.

Gris
11-13-2009, 06:17 AM

I didn't start either Patrick. No time in my life to actually read a book at this point. I get the audio versions of whatever I want to "read". But I still haven't started UtD. I can't find the audio anywhere locally yet, plus I'm in the middle of The Silmarillion and would like to finish it.

Randall Flagg
11-13-2009, 07:18 AM
I can't find the audio anywhere locally yet, plus I'm in the middle of The Silmarillion and would like to finish it.
Our local Barnes and Noble had the audio version for $75

Dolan
11-13-2009, 07:26 AM
I can't find the audio anywhere locally yet, plus I'm in the middle of The Silmarillion and would like to finish it.
Our local Barnes and Noble had the audio version for $75

That is insane! Audible.com people :pirate:

Calla_Wolf
11-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Anyone got a signed copy they'd be willing to part with...at a fair price?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Torrent = $0

mikeC
11-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Torrent = $0

not everything in life should be free.

I was going to ask if anyone has listened to this yet and if it's good.

Dolan, i really hate audible's quality, can you really listen to theirs in the car driving 70 mph?

Gris
11-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Torrent = $0

Survey Says: DING DING DING DING

My opinion is that I have spent nearly $500 on paper versions of this book. I'm entitled to a free audio copy. :D

willie3
11-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Impatiently waiting to head over to the Atlanta BN for Mr. King's signing.
:excited:

Debating on which edition to ask him to sign, regular or the collectors edition.
:panic:

Karl