PDA

View Full Version : NY Comic Con - Dark Tower and Stand Comic Guests

turtlex
01-01-2009, 03:53 PM
There’s a big comic convention coming up in New York City soon.

I thought I’d post some info about it, so if you want to attend, you’ll have some time to pre-gather comics for signings, plan your travel ( hotel, parking or public transportation, etc ) and anticipate the fun.

The New York Comic Con is February 6th – 8th, 2009. www.nycomiccon.com

It is held at the Jacob Javits Center in NYC.

There are a bunch of Dark Tower and Stand related artists appearing.

( Listed below are are the Sai King related guests. I will update as additional guests are added. )

GABRIELE DELL'OTTO ( COVER ARTIST )
DARK TOWER : TREACHERY 1 VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/612/Treachery1DellOttoVariant.jpg

JOE QUESADA ( COVER ARTIST )
DARK TOWER : GUNSLINGER BORN 1 VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/610/GB1QuesadaVariant.jpg

BILLY TAN ( COVER ARTIST )
DARK TOWER : GUNSLINGER BORN 4 2ND PRINTING
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/610/GB4_2ndPrintTanCover.jpg

LEINIL YU ( COVER ARTIST )
DARK TOWER : GUNSLINGER BORN 3 VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/610/GB3YuVariant.jpg

RON GARNEY ( COVER ARTIST )
DARK TOWER : LONG ROAD HOME 4 VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/611/LRH4GarneyVariant.jpg

MIKE PERKINS ( COVER ARTIST )
THE STAND : CAPTAIN TRIPS 1 PERKINS VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/609/CaptTrips1PerkinsVariant.jpg

THE STAND : CAPTAIN TRIPS 2 PERKINS VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/609/CaptTrips2PerkinsVariant.jpg

THE STAND : CAPTAIN TRIPS 3 PERKINS VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/609/CaptTrips3PerkinsVariant.jpg

THE STAND : CAPTAIN TRIPS 4 PERKINS VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/609/CaptTrips4PerkinsVariant.jpg

THE STAND : CAPTAIN TRIPS 5 PERKINS VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/609/CaptTrips5PerkinsVariant.jpg

DAVID FINCH ( COVER ARTIST )
DARK TOWER : GUNSLINGER BORN 2 FINCH VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/610/GB2FinchVariant.jpg

OLIVER COIPEL ( COVER ARTIST )
DARK TOWER : GUNSLINGER BORN 7 COIPEL VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/610/GB7CoipelVariant.jpg

MIKE DEODATO, JR ( COVER ARTIST )
DARK TOWER : LONG ROAD HOME 1 DEODATO VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/611/LRH1DedatoVariant.jpg

JIM CHEUNG ( COVER ARTIST )
DARK TOWER : TREACHERY 2 CHEUNG VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/612/Treachery2CheungVariant.jpg

JIM ROMITA, JR ( COVER ARTIST )
DARK TOWER : GUNSLINGER BORN 3 2nd PRINTING
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/610/GB3_2ndPrintRomitaCover.jpg

MARKO DJURDJEVIC ( COVER ARTIST )
DARK TOWER : GUNSLINGER BORN 3 VARIANT
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/611/LRH3DjurdjevicVariant.jpg

PETER DAVID ( WRITER )
THE DARK TOWER : GUNSLINGER BORN
THE DARK TOWER : THE LONG ROAD HOME
THE DARK TOWER : TREACHERY

ROBIN FURTH ( WRITER )
THE DARK TOWER : GUNSLINGER BORN
THE DARK TOWER : THE LONG ROAD HOME
THE DARK TOWER : TREACHERY

Some of the above might have timed signing sessions, and others may have their own booth. This part of the con hasn’t been announced yet.

If you’re going to attend : There are always comics for sale around the conventions for all the artists who are signing, however since they’re in high demands, they usually sell out fast and the prices are sometimes higher than they should be. Suppy and demand, and all that.

Your best bet is to bring what you want signed with you – then you won’t have to worry about finding the perfect comic while you’re there.

The Hero Initiative will be holding a comic art auction on Saturday evening, with the proceeds going to this Comics Creator Charity. Dark Tower Artist Jae Lee will have a featured item ( not sure if it will be DT related though ) in the auction. http://www.heroinitiative.org for more info on the Charity.

Note: the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund is also a supported charity of the NYCC, so they will likely have some art for sale or auction as well. Their site is : www.cbldf.org

Something which might also be of interest, in relation to the NYCC, the 2009 ICv2 Graphic Novel Conference will be held on Thursday, February 5th, 2009, also at the Jacob Javits Center. The keynote address will be made by Art Spiegelman, who wrote the Pulitzer Prize winning graphic novel Maus. He will be speaking about the Graphic Novel medium and doing a Q&A.

Plan On Attending :

ATTENDEE TICKETS / order online in advance
Weekend passes are $50
Friday passes are $30
Saturday passes are $40
Sunday passes are $30

TICKET PRICES INCREASE ON-SITE
Don't wait to buy your badge at the door!
Weekend passes are $65
Friday passes are $40
Saturday passes are $45
Sunday passes are $40

Patrick
01-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Man, those East Coast'ers get all the fun. :P

... Something which might also be of interest, in relation to the NYCC, the 2009 ICv2 Graphic Novel Conference will be held on Thursday, February 5th, 2009, also at the Jacob Javits Center. The keynote address will be made by Art Spiegelman, who wrote the Pulitzer Prize winning graphic novel Maus. He will be speaking about the Graphic Novel medium and doing a Q&A.
I went to see/hear Spiegelman here locally this past October. Very informative, interesting, and entertaining.

turtlex
01-03-2009, 02:14 AM
I know! We are lucky sometimes.

I wish I could attend, but right now it's not looking too good. Grrrrrrr.

I've seen Spiegelman as well, and I agree he was so entertaining. Actually, he was great. He gave a long presentation on writing Maus and how he designed the book and the panels and layout. It was so interesting and he was very engaging.

I was lucky enough to have him sign my Maus book, and he drew a cool little Maus mouse on it.

This con looks to be a lot of fun for those who can attend, and if I was going to be around, I'd hit the Thursday Graphic Novel sessions as well.

turtlex
01-06-2009, 03:53 AM
First page has been updated.

Guests Added :

Variant Cover Artist DAVID FINCH
Variant Cover Artist MIKE DEODATO, JR
Variant Cover Artist OLIVER COIPEL

This is really looking to be a great event to get your Stand and Dark Tower comics signed!

turtlex
01-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Updated again to add ticket prices.

Looks like the ADVANCED order is the way to go, as prices on the day of the events go up!

ATTENDEE TICKETS / order online in advance
Weekend passes are $50
Friday passes are $30
Saturday passes are $40
Sunday passes are $30

TICKET PRICES INCREASE ON-SITE
Don't wait to buy your badge at the door!
Weekend passes are $65
Friday passes are $40
Saturday passes are $45
Sunday passes are $40

turtlex
01-07-2009, 10:38 AM
First page has been updated.

Guest Added :

Variant Cover Artist JIM CHEUNG

turtlex
01-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Updated Comic Cover Links. Had inverted Quesada and Dedato.

turtlex
01-11-2009, 12:26 PM
FYI :

For any Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans, both Seth Green ( Oz ) and Amber Benson ( Tara ) are attending the con. Amber will be on the Writer's on Writing Panel and Seth is listed as a special guest.

Aaron
01-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Bah! I would love to ask Seth Green about his recent part in Heroes. I heard somewhere that it will be reprised in the next volume as well, at least once.

turtlex
01-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Yeah, they keep adding guests that I'd love to see ( me hearts Amber Benson ). Looks to be a great convention.

Tical
01-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi I also wanted to note that in the artist alley John Romita Jr. is said to be there he did the #3 2nd print cover for the Gunslinger Born.Jim Calafiore he did the pencils on the maps for the Guidebook and #1 Gunslinger Born.Jay Leisten who inked the #5 Gunslinger Born variant cover will be there too.

turtlex
01-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Tical - Thanks! I'd missed that.

The first entry has been updated with Romita and his cover.

turtlex
01-12-2009, 03:53 AM
More updates to be made later today, with special thanks to Tical !

Aaron
01-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Hi I also wanted to note that in the artist alley John Romita Jr. is said to be there he did the #3 2nd print cover for the Gunslinger Born.Jim Calafiore he did the pencils on the maps for the Guidebook and #1 Gunslinger Born.Jay Leisten who inked the #5 Gunslinger Born variant cover will be there too.

Leinil Yu did the #5 variant, though...

turtlex
01-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Cover Art and inking are two separate things.

To Quote Kevin Smith's wonderful "Chasing Amy" - You're Just A Tracer.

Tical
01-12-2009, 08:25 AM
But Jay Leisten is an artist too.He's just Greg Land's inker.Greg Land did the #5 variant pencils.Along with Justin Ponsor on colors.If you tried to buy the OA it would come with Land pencils and Leisten inks.I myself have been working on getting all signatures by the artists,that's why I posted it.Yu did the #3 variant as that one is hard to find in high grade.

turtlex
01-12-2009, 08:27 AM
<rant> It's IMPOSSIBLE to find at 9.8 - I have a 9.6 Leinil Yu and haven't been able to get a 9.8 anywhere !!!!!!! </end rant>

Tical - are you going to go to the NY Con?

Aaron
01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Bah, sorry. I dont know how I managed to get Yu and Greg Land mixed up. I was literally just going over info for both of them in relation to the checklist; guess it got jumbled.

Tical
01-12-2009, 08:39 AM
No not going sending in quite a few books though.Trying to finish my set in one swoop with Megacon having Steve Mcniven and Greg Land.

turtlex
01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Do you mean you're doing a SS run? Good luck !

turtlex
01-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Another cool announcement - Joss Whedon's DOLLHOUSE is going to screen.

Maybe Joss will show up? Who knows.... but with both Amber and Seth being there.... you never know!

turtlex
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Joss Whedon is confirmed ! - Whedon will lead a screening of the first act of the first episode of Dollhouse followed by a discussion at 12:45 PM EST on Sunday, February 8.

Robin Furth is confirmed as well ! ( first entry updated )

Matt
01-29-2009, 01:07 PM
That last part is really great news!! :clap:

turtlex
01-29-2009, 01:13 PM
All in all - its a PARTY TIME of King related artists!

I so wish I could attend !

Patrick
01-31-2009, 05:39 PM
They really ought to move this event to San Francisco.

turtlex
01-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Patrick - I love you, but you guys on the West Coast get the SAN DIEGO COMIC CON, which is like the biggest con ever... so the East Coast has to have some fun!

oy-the-brave
01-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Patrick - I love you, but you guys on the West Coast get the SAN DIEGO COMIC CON, which is like the biggest con ever... so the East Coast has to have some fun!

I went to comic con for 10 years (until I moved to NM 2 years ago) and you would not believe the change in those 10 years, it is unbelieveably huge now, it was a blast and I sure miss going.

Patrick
02-01-2009, 12:23 AM
They really ought to move this event to San Francisco.

I went to comic con for 10 years (until I moved to NM 2 years ago) and you would not believe the change in those 10 years, it is unbelieveably huge now, it was a blast and I sure miss going.
Although San Diego is still quite a haul, someday I hope to make it to Comic Con (http://www.comic-con.org/cci/). My first trip to it won't be happening this year though. :(

turtlex
02-01-2009, 03:42 AM
Oy - Gosh, I've been hearing for years about how amazing it is, the comic stars, the movie stars, the screenings, the freebies, etc!

Patrick - It's a haul... but it's still way closer to you than to me, buddy!?!?

Your kids would have a blast, by the way.

It's one of my dream trips - San Diego Comic Con or bust !!! ( someday )

turtlex
02-02-2009, 06:44 AM
FYI: Sunday Feb 8th is Kids Day - Kids 12 and under get in FREE !

turtlex
02-04-2009, 05:46 AM
Added Variant Cover Artist Marko Djurdjevic to the first posting.

He will be in the Artists Alley.

Arthur Heath
02-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Im sitting in OH having just finished an educational trade show waiting for my flight to NY for the con.
I forgot my camera :doh:
Anyone attending? Im too lazy to read back posts as dinner (Chillis, about to have fajitas) just arrived. PM me and I'll give you my cell. I could POSSIBLY gain an extra exhibitors badge.
Im going to tear up the con and Manhattan.
:panic:

turtlex
02-04-2009, 12:51 PM
AH - As far as I know, you're the only one attending!

So, we expect you go and buy a camera!

Safe travels, friend !

Aaron
02-05-2009, 07:42 AM
I believe wizardsrainbow is also going...

wizardsrainbow
02-06-2009, 07:27 AM
I am indeed! Leaving the office here on 23rd street in 2 hours. Doors open at 1:00. I am on a mission for this site, so wish me luck!!!!

Brice
02-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Best of luck, my friend. Have a great time. :)

Matt
02-06-2009, 08:42 AM
I am indeed! Leaving the office here on 23rd street in 2 hours. Doors open at 1:00. I am on a mission for this site, so wish me luck!!!!

Good luck David, I can't wait to hear how it went. :clap:

CRinVA
02-06-2009, 09:02 AM

Immediately I am hearing the Mission Impossible theme song playing in my head! Can't wait to hear "what" your mission is that you have decided to take and hopefully it doesn't fail and you don't "fall of the grid" so to say! :P

wizardsrainbow
02-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah, me Jake and Elwood are on a mission from GOD. :wtf:

I'm off people!

turtlex
02-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Have fun, David.

Wish I were there with you.

Matt
02-06-2009, 09:48 AM
And that is the truth...

God speed David!!

wizardsrainbow
02-07-2009, 04:38 AM
Well, people. My mission was accomplished.

I bought my ticket on line and got an e-mail bar code receipt and a message saying I would be better off redeeming the bar code receipt for actual ticket on Thursday to avoid long lines when the Con actually was open. So I trekked over to the Javits center Thursday at lunch in -5 windchill and got my ticket for Friday, and boy am I glad I did.

I admit that I am a TOTAL newbie when it comes to comics. I loved them (mostly Archie and Spiderman) as a kid but did not pick up or even glance at one until the Dark Tower series began and have only collected that series. So, I was attending this Con only because I volunteered to do something for this site.

The Con opened to regular people like me on Friday at 1pm, so I left the office at 12:30 and walked to the Javits Center. When I got inside, I saw maybe 1,000 people snaked in line with e-tickets waiting to redeem them for an actual Con pass. So, boy was I glad I did that Thursday. So, I went enter through security and was told that this was the Professionals entrance, so they directed me down some stairs and an escalator. Well a line was forming at the bottom and when I followed the crowd through a door into what can only be described as an airplane hanger, I knew I was in for a long wait. There were at least 5,000 people waiting in line wrapped up and down this huge hanger and then back out a door, up an uscalator and stairs and around a corner to the Con. It took me an hour and a half to get through the line.

I knew comics were popular, but I just never imagined something on this scale. And about 1 in 15 people was totally tricked out in full costume of their favorite character. From a people watching perspective, it was incredible. Some of the costumes were amazing. Sadly I didn't recognize any of them though :cry:, so an unable to share. Still there were more fake boobs there than at a party at the Playboy mansion. Rooowwwwrrrr. Sorry, how could I forget, there was one 20ish stunning woman dressed as Cat Woman in latex outfit, busting out on top and with 8 inch stiletto heels. Everyone just stopped and stared.

When I finally got into the place (think HUGE, even for New York), it was wall to wall people and visually overpowering. They had an Artists Alley set up with stations for the artists to sell/display their work or to do custom drawings for $$. Every single publisher or comic-related entity must have had a booth there. Hundreds of exhibitors displaying their wares, all the while with a mass of people, many in full costume walking, talking etc.

I saw Robert Culp (boy is he old) and Lou Ferrigno (Hulk on TV) as my only celebrities. I was sorry my friend Jae Lee did not attend this year. Guess it was too far to travel from Vegas. I stopped by 3 times at Albert Moy's booth, but Albert was always at the bathroom, or getting lunch or something, so I did not get to say hi. So, I did what I needed to do for the site (mission accomplished) and headed home to take my son out for dinner on his 16th birthday (we went to Paul Newman's restaurant in Westport...my tribute to my favorite actor).

I am so so sorry that I do not have pictures. I was travelling light. But it was a real eye opener to be sure for this newbie to the comic world.

Matt
02-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Wow David! What a great story.

Thanks so much for going, I hope it was at least an interesting time. :lol:

I had not even thought what something like that might look like to someone who hasn't really been exposed to the whole "comic" thing, sounds like there was plenty to see in any event.

I really appreciate the "mission"...we're working on something really special there. :couple:

Aaron
02-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Awesome, David! Thanks so much for doing that.

Arthur Heath
02-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I just made it back to the west coast from the con myself. David was correct, the con was huge (though not as big as San Diego) and incorporates much more than just comics. Its a celebration of all things pop culture. Comics, video games, movies and anime. I didnt have much of a chance to walk around as my booth was pretty packed all weekend.
I could have gotten you in David, I posted if anyone wants an exhibitor badge to contact me. Ah well. I did give two extra exhibitor badges to an Australian couple I wound up meeting and hanging out with most of the trip. They where into comics and just happened to be in the right area at the right time. :)
I too have no pictures, as I forgot my camera at home and wound up buying a disposable camera. Now if I can recall where I could get those antiques developed.....

Ari_Racing
02-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Oh, I wish I could attend! :(

turtlex
02-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Wow, sounds like a great time was truly had by everyone.

Oh, how I wanted to go!!!!

David - sounds like you had quite the little adventure. I wish I could have been there to see you enjoy your first comic con. They're quite the trip, aren't they!?!?

AH - Hope you had a successful con, business-wise, and a fun time.. you know, fun-wise!

Patrick
02-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Glad you guys enjoyed the Con! Looking forward to seeing some pics, Arthur.