PDA

View Full Version : Your Five Best Concerts....

sarah
12-30-2008, 07:49 PM
So, I've been thinking about this for awhile. For some crazy drugged out/drunked out reason, I don't remember a lot of shows I've been to. So, I've been racking my brain on and off for a few weeks (since talking with Jayson about my phish show experience) what shows were the best.

Back in the day...LOL...Before Kids...I used to go to tons of shows but the shows I've been to in the last few years and very few and very far between. The 90's were some of my most memorable.

so here are my own personal top five IN NO SPECIFIC ORDER....what are yours?

Beastie Boys: San Francisco September 2005
Green Day: Seattle 1998
Green Day: Phoenix 2005
Jane's Addiction: Seattle 1998
Pearl Jam: Outside KU stadium: 1992

eeek can I make my top five longer? :lol:

Notable mentions:

Phish: Cincinnati 1999
Rage Against the Machine: Toronto 1994/Eugene, Oregon 1999

jayson
12-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Excellent topic Sarah.

I will even attempt to put mine in order.

1. Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos @ Tonic, NYC March 2002
2. Radiohead @ Ford Amphitheatre, Tampa FL May 6, 2008
3. Radiohead @ Cruzan Amphitheatre West Palm Beach FL October 4, 2003
4. Phish @ Big Cypress Reservation, FL Dec 30 & 31, 1999
5. Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band @ Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ Sept 1, 1985

And if you get honorable mentions, so do I :P

- Wayne Horvitz & Zony Mash @ The Amphitheatre, Tampa FL Sept 18, 2002
- Zappa Plays Zappa @ Hard Rock Live, Orlando FL Nov 2006

sarah
12-30-2008, 08:23 PM
excellent list, Jayson, excellent. I so wish that I was with my jason when he saw Radiohead in the Gorge, Wa in 2003. He still says Radiohead puts on one fucking awesome show.

jayson
12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
I've seen a lot of bands in a lot of situations, but there's nothing like Radiohead. There's really no way to even describe it. Live RH translates well to audio, but you only get half the story. Andi Watson is the greatest lighting director in live music. No offense to Chris Kuroda, the genius who does Phish'sl lighting, or Candace Brightman who did the lights for the Grateful Dead, but nobody touches Andi Watson.

I'm jealous that you got to see the Cincy 99 Phish shows. I have most of that tour and those shows are pretty good for 99. It was one of the best weekends of my life, musically and otherwise. I've seen lots of Phish shows, but there are still plenty I wish I'd seen and those Cincy shows are among them, especially the second set of the first night, the first set, meh, not so much, but that second set is nearly perfect for that era. Not quite the Big Cypress shows, but nothing can ever compare to that. Two days of Phish on Seminole Indian land (translation - no police).

You mentioned The Gorge. That is someplace I'd love to see a show, but it's especially someplace I'd have loved to have seen Phish. They always play Divided Sky there and always at sundown. I can't think of a better place to see them play that song. I have a copy of every version they ever played there and there have been some spectacular ones. I've been obsessed with that song for so long and collect shows with that in the setlist. I still think Halloween 1995 may be the best one, but there are a couple of versions from The Gorge that rival it.

flaggwalkstheline
12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
lessee
1 Modest mouse- Albuquerque 2007
It was like a religious expierience, there r seats at the venue but everybody was standing and swaying to the music like they were in the pews at a church
the music was INCREDIBLE, I loved modest mouse before I saw them but they're even better live, like an insane mixture of 70s psychadelia, 90s grunge and a very pissed off german polka band

2 Bob Dylan- Albuquerque 2007
When the man brings his A game, its awe inspiring

3 Mindless self indulgence- Albuquerque 2006
The lead singer little jimmy urine is like a human tornado vocally and physically

4 Weird Al - Albuquerque 2006
Weird Al Is much more talented than most people would give him credit for, plus he has a 10 minute epic all about (and titled) Albuquerque

5 The Shins- 2006 Albuquerque
I'm not that much of a shins fan but theyre a local band (or were before they left for oregon grrr) so I figured I'd see em when they came back for a show, Luckily they're live shows are FAR superior to their albums, much louder

sarah
12-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Lots of stuff happened before during and after those two Phish shows. It was a crazy time in our lives...I know I owe you a PM....I break it down for you there.

Flaggwalkstheline, I'm super jealous of your Shins show. I hear they are fantastic live.

flaggwalkstheline
12-30-2008, 09:08 PM
It was cool but the shins are like the diet modest mouse (seriously Issac Brock -the lead singer of Modest Mouse- helped get em signed)

Sam
12-30-2008, 09:26 PM
I never went to concerts before I started dating my wife. Since then most of the concerts have revolved around American Idol and it's participants. (She loves that show and has gotten me into it.) So here goes.

Bo Bice: I think he has one of the best voices of any of the participants of American Idol and his show was top notch as well.

Clay Aiken: He puts on a hell of a show and we have been to all of his shows that have been held in the Carolinas.

Mandy Patinkin: Beautiful singing voice and a great performer.

Charlotte Church: My God that girl could sing. Her voice was so stunning it truly brought tears to my eyes.

That's it. It ain't four, but I don't count the Aiken concerts more than once even though there were several.

Interestingly enough, my worst concert experience was ZZ Top. I was sooo looking forward to it, and intended to have a good time. My mistake was in taking two teenaged girls with me. The opening act played and they harrassed me so that we left before the second song had even finished.

I was set to go see Lynyrd Skynyrd in concert and it was cancelled.:angry::cry:

obscurejude
12-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Sam is a claymate! :rofl:

flaggwalkstheline
12-30-2008, 09:35 PM
I didnt really know clay aiken had fans... I mean I guess He must but I'd never met one or heard tell of one...
still its cool in its own backwards rebellion way like pissing lotsa people off by shouting "George W Bush is a great man!"

Ruthful
12-30-2008, 09:36 PM
M. Doughty and TMBG at the Prospect Park Band Shell. Many, many years ago.

The Harlem Boys Choir-I forget where and when.

Los Lobos-I only caught the last two songs, but it was still awesome. At what was once the WTC about two years before it was obliterated.

The New Duke Ellington Band, at Birdland. Saw them in college.

Suzanne Vega-some benefit concert held by Amnesty International in Central Park.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Cool topic!

1. Slipknot/Mudvayne/Disturbed/Papa Roach/Linkin Park- Canyon Amphitheater - Lubbock, Tx. (Firecracker Five Tour) 2001. I had never heard of Mudvayne or Disturbed going into the show and was very impressed. Whether or not you like Slipknot, they put on an AMAZING show. Pyrotechnics, keg beating, mashing, mania. The energy is unlike anything else I've seen, and I've probably seen upwards of 200 live music shows.

2. Trans-Siberian Orchestra. United Spirit Arena, Lubbock, Tx. 2007 This group has something for everyone, no matter your tastes in music. The show is all about the production. There are more laser lights than any Pink Floyd concert. Fire and even Snow, it was truly spectacular.

3. The Eagles-Hell Freezes Over Tour - United Spirit Arena, Lubbock, Tx. 2003. I had always wanted to go to an eagles concert. I thought I would never get the chance since they were already disbanded long before I had heard of them. This was such an unexpected treat.

4. Bonaroo - Nashville 2006. If you have never been to a Bonaroo music festival, you cannot understand how fantastic it is. If you have, then you know what I am saying. Artists included: Dave Matthews Band, Widespread Panic, Allman Bros. Band, Black Crowes, Jack Johnson, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Yonder Mountain Strings Band, Old Crow Medicine Show, Les Claypool and the Frog Brigaide and so many more. The crowd is what is really fantastic about this festival though. I can't wait to go again.

5. Tool (Smirnoff Music Center) Dallas Tx. circ. 2002 - What else can I say, Tool Fuckin Rocks!!!!!!!. We were right up front. Danny Carey played like a 30 minute drum solo. Maynard sang the entire concert in a bra and panties. HaHa. It was fucking bad ass, if you have the chance to see Tool, dont waste it.

Honorable Mentions are so numerable......but a couple that stand out.

White Zombie on two hits of acid
Bob Dylan - he was 30 minutes late starting, then he was so drunk, he sang half of Lay Lady Lay (poorly) then fell off his stool. The show was over at that point, and he just hung out with the crowd and got trashed.

Sam
12-30-2008, 09:52 PM

I gotta give the guy his due. He's a hell of a singer, had an entertaining show his first tour, and wrote a compelling Christmas play that he toured with as well. I do enjoy his work. I'm not traveling 200 miles to see a show, but I would if my wife wanted me to. After all, I took her to fucking Massachusettes to see Sai King (remember that I'm in South Carolina).

Something else I enjoy is going to the theater with my wife. Live theater is something to behold, much like going to a concert. Phantom, Wicked, Miss Saigon, Shaolin Warriors... those were wonderful experiences for me.

obscurejude
12-30-2008, 09:54 PM

I gotta give the guy his due. He's a hell of a singer, had an entertaining show his first tour, and wrote a compelling Christmas play that he toured with as well. I do enjoy his work. I'm not traveling 200 miles to see a show, but I would if my wife wanted me to. After all, I took her to fucking Massachusettes to see Sai King (remember that I'm in South Carolina).

No offense to you or the man himself. I really have no opinion on the matter. I guess I just had a visual of you in the front row wiping a tear from your eye and it made me laugh. I appreciate it Sam. :couple:

Sam
12-30-2008, 09:59 PM
My wife is the Claymate. I did NOT want to go to the first one and usually go to the American Idol tours because she wants to. But I DID go see Bo Bice happily. I think he has a great sound and has the potential to be as good as Skynyrd was.

turtlex
12-31-2008, 04:54 AM
This is a great topic, thanks, maer !!

Lets see, I don't remember the exact dates, though.

1. The Concert for Walden Woods ( Don Henley, Elton John, Jimmy Buffett, Melissa Etheridge, the guys from Aerosmith and a great cause )

2. The Rolling Stones - Steel Wheels Tour. I had floor seats.

3. Melissa Etheridge - Anything from the "Yes I Am" tour. I think I've seen about 20 Melissa shows total, but that was the best tour.

4. Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA Tour.

5. Shawn Colvin at the Bottom Line in NYC, before Sunny Came Home to the Kitchen.

Honorable Mentions :

Pearl Jam in Philly. Would have been higher on my list but I was pretty much having an asthma attack and that made it sort of difficult to enjoy.

David Bowie - Sound and Vision Tour.

The Judds - Love Can Build A Bridge Tour. Wynonna has the pipes!

Sam? When you saw Wicked, was Idina Menzel playing Elphaba? I love Idina and recently saw her in Atlantic City. Oh, and I think you kinda are a Claymate, Sam. :D

jayson
12-31-2008, 05:50 AM
Los Lobos-I only caught the last two songs, but it was still awesome.

:thumbsup:

Los Lobos are phenomenal musicians and put on a great show. It kinda makes me sad sometimes that most people only know them from their cover of "La Bamba" from the movie of the same name. They have SO much great music of their own. Phish used to do a nice cover of their "When the Circus Comes To Town" and I used to get pissed off when people didn't realize it was a cover, and then when I told them it was a Los Lobos song they'd be like "Los Lobos? The La Bamba guys?"

The Cosmic Geek
12-31-2008, 06:01 AM
I don't remember the dates but the concerts were:

Aerosmith
Matchbox 20
Everclear
Life House
Brian Adams

Heather19
12-31-2008, 08:03 AM
1. Dave Matthews Band - Fenway 2006 My favorite band, at Fenway, how could you go wrong.

2. Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - UMass 2007 I love the quite laid back atmosphere of a Dave & Tim show. Tim is just an amazing musician to watch. Add to that Dave telling crazy ridiculous stories, plus good music, and you've got one helluva show. I really wish these two would tour more often together.

3. Tori Amos - Boston 2007 I swear, I was just mesmerized watching her play. I was just talking to turtlesong about this, and for this tour she was promoting American Doll Posse (on the album she's got several different personas), so for the show she came out and performed the first half as one of those personas (fully embracing herself in that character), then came out for the second half as Tori. She definitely knows how to put on a good show.

4. Dave Matthews Band - Hartford 1999, I know, I know another DMB show, but these guys really know how to play live and the novelty of Fenway aside, this is probably my favorite show of theirs that I've been to.

5. Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Worcester 2006 My first TSO show which has now become a yearly tradition for me and my friend. Just a visually amazing show with great music. Like Browning said their shows are truly spectacular.

Rjeso
12-31-2008, 12:35 PM
In no particular order, because they were all badass:

A Perfect Circle
Billy Joel
Tool
Foo Fighters
Audioslave (concert #2 of the 3 that I went to, that is)

Also, Chris Cornell's solo concert was a.maz.ing. I also saw Clapton put on one hell of a show, and Elton John.

Sam
01-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Sam? When you saw Wicked, was Idina Menzel playing Elphaba? I love Idina and recently saw her in Atlantic City. Oh, and I think you kinda are a Claymate, Sam. :D

It wasn't Idina Menzel. It was, hold on a minute let me check the program, Carmen Cusack. As far as me being a Claymate... yeah. After having seen him perform, I have to say that he puts on a great show, and I will happily go see Aiken perform anytime he has a show nearby.

Btw Pam, if you ever get a chance to see the Shaolin Warriors perform, do it. You'll be glad you did. They do things there that I could only dream of ever having been able to do. And a few things I once was able to do too.

obscurejude
01-05-2009, 01:09 AM
I only go to indie shows for the most part. Most of the people I see frequently are locals and if I listed my favorites you would have undoubtedly never heard of them. All the big names I've seen were terrible in the amphitheater setting and I just can't bring myself to list them.

Darkthoughts
01-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Maer, I am so jealous that you've seen Jane's :cool: I missed an opportunity to see them about 10 years ago and it's my biggest regret.

Mine are:

The Wonderstuff - The Astoria (or it could have been Brixton Academy, seen them both places), London 1990
Pop Will Eat Itself - Reading Festival, 1991
G Love And Special Sauce - Glastonbury Festival, 1995
The Beastie Boys - Brixton Academy, 1995
Don McLean - Cheltenham Town Hall, 2000

Honourable mentions to:
Hawkwind (Reading 1990)
Nirvana (Reading 1991)
The Prodigy (Glastonbury 1995)

CRinVA
01-05-2009, 08:10 AM
My top 5 (show my age)

#1 The Concert at Watlkins Glen (1972 I think - 650,000 fans)
The Allmond Brothers, The Band, The Grateful Dead
#2 Woodstock (1969) Need I say more (more than a half million crazed fans)
#3 The Who (1972) Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC), NY
#4 Eric Clapton (1977) Oahu, Hawaii
#5 Ted Nugent (1981) Kansas City, MO

and honorable mentions:

Emerson, Lake and Palmer (SPAC) 1972
Pat Benatar (SPAC) 1977
New Riders of the Purple Sage (1980) Lawrence Opera House, Lawrence, Kansas
Reo Speedwagon (1972) Vasser College, Poughkeepsie, NY
Humble Pie (1972) SPAC - Backup band was Black Oak Arkansas (awesome)
Three Rock Bottom remainders performances - just because they were awesome for other reasons!

Many many more, these come to mind as the best of the best!

turtlex
01-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Woodstock?

THE Woodstock?

You were at Woodstock?

Did you stay over onto Monday to hear Hendrix?

jayson
01-05-2009, 08:17 AM
If there were a single set of Woodstock I wish I could have seen, it'd have been this one...

YouTube - Sly & The Family Stone - I Want To Take You Higher

turtlex
01-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Woodstock?

THE Woodstock?

You were at Woodstock?

If there were a single set of Woodstock I wish I could have seen, it'd have been this one...

YouTube - Sly & The Family Stone - I Want To Take You Higher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ig-6f0g55c)

If there was a single set I wish I could have seen...
....it would have been ALL OF WOODSTOCK !!!!!

CRinVA - details!

jayson
01-05-2009, 08:23 AM
If there was a single set I wish I could have seen...
....it would have been ALL OF WOODSTOCK !!!!!

I think I'd have lived happily ever after without having to have seen Sha Na Na.

turtlex
01-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Um, Sha-Na-Na was my first ever concert, mister! At the South Shore Music Circus.

jayson
01-05-2009, 09:08 AM
It could only get better after a start like that. :P

educatedlady
01-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Wow. Great topic. I have a lot of favorite concerts so this is a little hard to choose all but my number one. I didn't start going to concerts until I was in college (before that I would have had to travel at least 4 hours for any concert) so almost all my concert experiences are within the past 8 years but those that have topped my list have been in the past few years.

5. Incubus @ Red Rocks -- July 2007
Every show I've seen at RR has been amazing but I had waited so long to see Incubus that getting to see them at RR made it spectacular.
4. Resident Hero, Kill Hannah, Sick Puppies, Flyleaf -- May 2007 NYC
This was my first trip to NYC but it was my second show of this tour and the previous show was fun but after the concert I met the members of Resident Hero and met the members of Kill Hannah (again) and we all hung out for a while so when I was in NYC they saw me and my friend and would sing to us and throw us things and made inside jokes with us...which made me feel super cool. It was a great time and an experience I will never forget.
3. All of the Taste of Chaos Concerts I worked in March of 2007. Orlando, FL, Tampa, FL, St. Louis, MO, Chicago, IL
Getting to watch a concert from backstage, while getting to interact with the bands makes a show so awesome. I had the time of my life and made some excellent friends.
2. Muse/MCR in Williamsburg, VA-- April 2007
I don't really like MCR but I had to take the opportunity to see MUSE which I thought would never happen. I was front row getting sweat on by Matthew Bellamy and it was beautiful. MCR was ok but I was there for MUSE.
And...
1. 30 Seconds to Mars @ Amos' Southend in Charlotte, NC -- Nov. 2006
This show was one of the last small shows that 30STM put on in the US and it was amazing. I was front row with some friends I was within arms reach of the band (maybe 2 feet between the barrier and the stage), they played a lot of songs from their first CD (which is their best one), I had the lead singer (Jared Leto) dump a bottle of water on me and of course I had to wear a white tank top that night, and I hung out with the band after the show. It was amazing and magical and by far the best concert I've ever been to.

turtlex
01-05-2009, 10:28 AM
It could only get better after a start like that. :P

Awwwww, that was the kindest smackdown... ever ! :couple:

blg
01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
It's really hard to narrow it down to just 5, but I'll give it a shot. These are in no particular order:

07/25/1992 -- Lollapalooza, Denver CO.
Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ministry, Jesus & Mary Chain, Ice Cube all at the same show.

11/24/1993 -- Pearl Jam, Wichita, KS.
VS Tour, relatively small venue.

09/17/1994 -- Nine Inch Nails, Kansas City, KS
Venue held about 3000 people, Downward Spiral tour about a month after the televised Woodstock performance.

06/22/2001 -- Pete Townshend, La Jolla, CA
Special benefit show in front of 500 people with Pete playing solo and mostly acoustic. Really amazing show, almost like a storytellers.

07/30/2001 -- Radiohead, Atlanta, GA
First time seeing the band. Venue was an outdoor field near Stone Mountain Park. 7000 tickets sold and a great performance.

Honorable Mention:
05/27/2002 -- Queens of the Stone Age, Atlanta, GA
Club tour with Dave Grohl on drums....enough said.

01/17/2005 -- Tenacious D & Friends, Los Angeles, CA
Small theatre benefit show for the Tsunami that hit Thailand. Besides The D, performances by Eddie Vedder, Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, Beck, Chris Rock

04/30/2004 -- The Pixies, Pomona, CA
Unannouced club show the night before Coachella Festival. Venue held only 800 people and it felt like a time warp back to 1989. Great performance.

Lots of others, but these come to mind as some of my favs.

Rjeso
01-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Oooer, you saw QotSA with Grohl? Dude, you lucky, lucky soul.

:jealous:

blg
01-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah, it was the first of about a dozen times that I've seen QotSA and I'm pretty sure Atlanta was the first show of the mini-tour with Grohl.

QotSA is one of those bands I never get tired of seeing live. :) The last time I saw them was this past August in Hollywood. It was a benefit show with all proceeds going to help pay for the treatments Natasha had to endure before her untimely death. It was a sad show, but nearly 2 hours long with tons of special guests and rarities played including several desert sessions songs.

Hannah
01-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Ohh cool idea for a thread.

1. Beastie Boys - Summer/2005 @ Red Rocks
2. RAtM - Nov/1999 in Denver, CO
3. Tenacious D - Nov/2006 in Denver, CO
4. Roger Waters - Summer/2000 in Denver, CO
5. Chemical Brothers/Fat Boy Slim - Summer/1999 @ Red Rocks

Honorable mentions:
all the Warped Tours at Adams County Fairgrounds
Snoop Dogg (twice!)
Tool
Greenday
Long Beach Dub Allstars

CRinVA
01-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Woodstock?

THE Woodstock?

You were at Woodstock?

CRinVA - details!

Details are sketchy at best! I was 16, stoned all the time, tripping too! I was only there was a day and a half - remember I was 16 and I got in major trouble when I got home. I left Sat night to get home before I was in too deep! I should have stayed - I was already in too deep!

That was another life, I call it my before The Marines life. I was a hippie and a rebel! Then in 1975 I joined the Marines and life changed. I don't regret that before Marines life, but I would surely never go back to it - never!

I can say this, I remember lots and lots of people - free spirits, half naked people, walking over people, getting tramped on - lots of rain and mud too! I remember listening to Arlo Guthrie, Country Joe and his Fish Cheer - GIMME AN F, WHAT'S THAT SPELL, .... - Santana, Mountain, Janis Joplin, The Dead, ... I remember having fun, having a blast, but details not so much. It's probalby a good thing that I now have what I call my After the Marines life! it's saner, safer, healthier, and happier. What I have always held onto from that part of my life is the music. I loved the music then and still do. My kids kind of think I'm pretty weird about my music tastes - I likve some of their faves, but they like precious few of my faves!

turtlex
01-07-2009, 08:12 AM
:sigh:

Still the coolest thing.
You were at Woodstock.
You saw Joplin. The Dead. Country Joe. At Woodstock.
I'm gonna be in awe for a while. Just so you know. :D

sarah
01-07-2009, 09:04 AM
wow, CRinVA, just wow! thanks for sharing. :cool:

CRinVA
01-07-2009, 09:46 AM
I got to see the Dead again in 1972 (I think it was '72) at Watkins Glen. THAT performance was simply awesome! I was 19 yrs old then - stayed for the whole thing as I wasn't living at home anymore anyways! :-)

That concert started at noon with The Allmond Brothers who played for about 3 hours non-stop; a 30 minute break led to The Band that played til about 7:30pm; and the Grateful Dead took the stage at 8pm and played non-stop til after midnight; About 30 minutes after the Dead several members from each group joined on stage and simply jammed the rest of the night. It all ended about noon the next day.

There was a tent set up about 300 yards from the stage - it was called the Drugstore - you walked in and anything illegal you wanted was being sold. With 650,000 people the police pretty much stayed along the concert area boundaries and were content with keeping hte drugs inside the concert area. All those that were within about 200 yards of the stage pretty much had to stand - it was wall to wall people - or as they say in Marine Corps Boot Camp, it was asshole to bellybutton! :-) I also remember a semi-circle of port-a-johns that stretched a few hundred yards with lines at every damn one!. I also distinctly remember this topless girl walking around with bulls eyes painted over her breasts - funny what things you do remember - huh!

We were about 300 - 400 yards back and it was perfect. We had our little patch of ground - about 10' by 10'.

A funny story - as we drove in the day before the concert the traffic was more than bad. The highway up to the Watkins Glen Raceway is a 4 lane divided highway. There were about 6 lanes of traffic southbound towards the Glen, while the Northbound lanes were just patrolled by the State Police. I stopped and parked my Camaro about 18 miles from the concert. Had no choice as the cars in front of me simply stopped and people got out, locked up and hiked in the rest of the way. I felt weird leving my new Camaro there but hell there was a concert starting the next day and we had to get there. Me and a friend hauled a huge cooler full of beer - well we drank some while in the traffic jam - all the way in. Walked til about 3am - found a spot and camped out. I woke the next morning at 7am toi a guy pushing his Harley D. past our spot!

After the concert ended we had to walk all the way back - at least teh empty coolor made it easier and it was downhill all the way back - yep it was uphill all the way in! When I got to my car we had to sit there for about three hours trill enough cars pulled away to enable me to get out. Everyone just drove across the median when they could and left.

I also remember stopping at an exit to get some food - I locked the keys in teh Camaro and we were screwed - couldn't break in. These three hoody looking guys saw us tryibng to break in and said they would break in for $10. We pooled our money and gave then something slightly less and within about 20 seconds they had the door open! Such talent!

I also remember no one ever checked our tickets as we entered the concert area - by then the fences had been pushed over and from what I read in the papers more than half the attendees never paid to get in. Supposedly they sold about 250,000 tickets and the news estiamted the c rowd at 650,000 - larger than Woodstock! I vaguely remember paying $20 per ticket or something like that - a fair amount of $$$ in 1972!

alinda
01-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Watkins Glen , I was there too, good times, good times!:couple:

I have seen so many bands and shows some of my favs are in no order.

West Palm Beach Music Festival 3 days of dibauchery staring Janis Joplin, Sly & family stone. Pacific Gas & Electric and many others ( I was also tripping) :lol:

The Doors in S. Florida, when Morrison was arrested for undressing on stage.

John Lennon at Madison Square Garden ( viva the revolution)

David Bowie in Philadelphia doing Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

The Police at Carnige Hall Stuart on the hi tops all night Woot!

I have seen much, remember so little .....Just say NO to drugs !!

Sam
01-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I had a friend who had a picture of himself at Woodstock. If it weren't for that picture, he would have nothing to say he was ever there since he was so stoned that he has no memory of it. He told me he didn't remember even going. He woke up, it was like six days later, and the first thing he smelled was himself.:wtf:

alinda
01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
:wtf:

Merlin1958
03-05-2009, 11:48 PM
The Who - Farewell Tour (1986?) Shea Stadium, NY last night
Pink Floyd - Animals Tour (1977?) Tarrant County Convention Center, Tx
Rolling Stones - Steel Wheels Tour (1996/97?) Yankee or Shea Stadium
Eric Clapton - Cradle to the Grave tour (2001?) MSG (he played Over the Rainbow)
Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult and Leslie West, New Years Eve 1976 Nassau County Colisseum

Honorable mention:

Led Zepplin (1977) Tarrant County Convention Center (Mick Raplhs joined them on stage and I had seats 4th row center.

Elton Joh w/Billy Joel Piano Men Tour (1998?) Giants Stadium

Saw quite a few others including Black sabbath, Lynrd Skynard, Clapton 3x, Kiss again, Yes, Pink Floyd 2x more, The who 2x more (both farewell's lol) and I went one year (1978) to Willie Nelson's Picnic which featured ZZ Top, 38 Special, The band w/o Robbie and a host of others

Mai
03-06-2009, 05:31 AM
I havent really been to very many concerts. I have seen a bunch of christian bands because of church but besides those ive only been to two concerts and those were BB King and Buddy Guy in Louisville, Kentucky and I saw Trans Siberian Orchestra in Knoxville, Tennessee. BB King and Buddy Guy was the best one and I have a pretty good idea they will beat any other I see.

ClicheGuevara
03-06-2009, 11:13 AM
lemme see. .

Against Me!
Manu Chao (radio bemba sound system tour)
Cypress Hill
Smashing Pumpkins

and my favorite show so far

Zappa plays Zappa.

Honorable mentions
Lee "Scratch" Perry and Slick Rick, that was a fun show!

And Eek-a-mouse sometime last Feb.

jayson
03-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Zappa plays Zappa.

Definitely among the best shows I've ever seen as well. I'm hoping for another tour and another trip to Florida from Dweezil sometime soon.

You've seen Lee Perry! I'm completely jealous.

Frunobulax
03-06-2009, 01:35 PM
In no order:
1. of Montreal (2009, Ninjas Prove It tour)
2. St. Vincent (2008, Marry Me tour)
3. Zappa Plays Zappa (first tour)
4. White Rainbow/YACHT/Dirty Projectors (2007 tour)
5. A Mighty Wind (live at the Wilshire Theater)

ClicheGuevara
03-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Zappa plays Zappa.

Definitely among the best shows I've ever seen as well. I'm hoping for another tour and another trip to Florida from Dweezil sometime soon.

You've seen Lee Perry! I'm completely jealous.

Yeah, at a pot festival here in town. Was a bunch of nameless reggae bands from around here. Scratch Perry and Slick Rick headlined. I had no idea what dub was until that concert. To say that Lee Perry is eccentric is an understatement. Was a good show nonetheless.