PDA

View Full Version : R_of_G

jayson
12-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Hello all. It's my turn in the staff spotlight, so here we go.

My name is Jayson. I am 38 years old and currently reside in Tampa, Florida with my wife of nearly 12 years and our beautiful daughter Ella Rose who is a little over 6 months old.

I was born in Queens, NY. My family moved to central New Jersey when I was in the first grade and I remained in NJ until I was 22 when I moved to Florida. I am the oldest of three children.

I got my degree in Religious Studies (with a minor in Philosophy) from the University of South Florida (go Bulls!).

As many people know, I have a massive obsession with music, both listening to it and playing it. I have played guitar for just under 9 years, and though I hold no aspirations of being a professional musician, it's an obsessive hobby for me.

I could probably prattle on all day but I'd rather answer your questions, so fire away...

obscurejude
12-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Are there other instruments you plan on learning besides the piano?

Are you aware that you're the embodiment of cool?

Hopefully I can think of some other questions that we already haven't spoken about in our extensive pming. Congratulations again on becoming staff. :couple:

obscurejude
12-22-2008, 11:21 AM
I thought of one. I always call you Jayson, so I haven't thought of it in awhile, but where does "R_of_G" come from?

Rabbi of the Goyim?

alinda
12-22-2008, 11:27 AM
:lol: good question!

Isn't Tampa great?
What beach do you all go to when you get the chance?
Do you post your music on You Tube?
Have you written any music?
:orely:
All I can think of now....OH! Congratulations on your staff position! :D
You and Pam are wonderful people, and are obviously the best choice
I am sure that you both will be amazing!! (((((hug))))):)

Daghain
12-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Paper or plastic? Why?

Where would you live if money were no object?

If you could be a famous musician, would you?

What's your favorite color?

fernandito
12-22-2008, 11:30 AM
What was the first song you learned to play on the guitar in it's entirety?

Excluding Tarantino, which movies could you watch over and over without getting of it/them?

Favorite foreigh food?

Hannah
12-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Favorite children's book?

Do you have any nicknames?

What's your favorite part about being a father?

MonteGss
12-22-2008, 11:34 AM
How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

Do you have a Twinner? :D

Do you ever shave?

Oreos or Chips Ahoy?

What is your favorite cereal?

Who, besides me, is the coolest person you know?

jayson
12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Are there other instruments you plan on learning besides the piano?

Given my obsession with Miles, I'd love to learn to play the trumpet. It's the first instrument I tried to learn when I was in the third grade, but I gave up on it rather quickly. As far as I've come on the guitar in 9 years, I often wonder where I'd be if I'd not given up the trumpet almost 30 years ago.

Are you aware that you're the embodiment of cool?

Of course I am. :P
Kidding. I am not nearly egotistical enough to have such a high self-opinion, but it's nice to hear it from a good friend. :)

Hopefully I can think of some other questions that we already haven't spoken about in our extensive pming. Congratulations again on becoming staff. :couple:

Thank you. :)

Brice
If you could meet any ONE musician living or dead who would it be?

obscurejude
Would you be offended if someone named their guitar "R_of_G" because they like how it feels in their hands?

Brice
12-22-2008, 11:36 AM
:rofl:

alinda
12-22-2008, 11:42 AM
:wtf:

jayson
12-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow, that was a lot of questions...

I thought of one. I always call you Jayson, so I haven't thought of it in awhile, but where does "R_of_G" come from?

Rabbi of the Goyim?

:lol:

R_of_G = Roland of Gilead

:lol: good question!

Isn't Tampa great?

It's definitely got its plus sides. It's a beautiful city. I wish it had a little bit more to offer as far as live music, but it's working on it. It has three major sports teams, so that's cool. What I like about it the most if that many of my closest friends live here and my parents live less than 4 hours away so we get to see them and they get to see Ella a lot. That's what's most important.

What beach do you all go to when you get the chance?

I'm not much of a beach-goer, much to my wife's chagrin. I like it at night, I am just not too fond of the sun, nor it of me. We did get married on the beach though, at sunset at Sand Key Park in Clearwater. It was beautiful.

Do you post your music on You Tube?

I have a video camera, but I've yet to figure out how to get the video off of it and onto my mac. I'm working on it, so eventually I plan to record some of my playing and get it up on youtube.

Have you written any music?

Not anything finished. I am working on a piece currently that I would like to finish and record, but it's yet to reveal itself to me in its entirety.

Paper or plastic? Why?

Neither. We use canvas reusable bags. Much more eco-friendly.

Where would you live if money were no object?
New York City, specifically the Lower East Side of Manhattan. It's my favorite place in the universe.

If you could be a famous musician, would you?

I'd settle for professional. Fame seems like as much a burden as a blessing. I'd be happy to just make enough money playing music to support my family and not have to do anything else.

What's your favorite color?
Green

What was the first song you learned to play on the guitar in it's entirety?

Albuquerque by Neil Young

Excluding Tarantino, which movies could you watch over and over without getting of it/them?
Dazed & Confused, Brazil, Oh Brother! Where Art Though, Raising Arizona, Animal House, The Princess Bride

Favorite foreigh food?
Veal piccata

Favorite children's book?

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

Do you have any nicknames?

None that I'm aware of, but I'm sure people call me things I don't know about. :lol:

What's your favorite part about being a father?
When Ella smiles at me. It's the coolest thing in the entire world.

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

19 of course. :P

Yes, Lisa is my british female twinner.

Do you ever shave?

I trim the beard periodically so I don't look like ZZ Top, but other than that, I haven't shaved in 10 years.

Oreos or Chips Ahoy?

Oreos for sure.

What is your favorite cereal?

Apple Jacks.

Who, besides me, is the coolest person you know?
My friend Steve. He's the most intelligent and humorous person I've had the pleasure of knowing and he's been an exceptional friend to me and my wife.

jayson
12-22-2008, 11:51 AM
If you could meet any ONE musician living or dead who would it be?

Miles Davis

Would you be offended if someone named their guitar "R_of_G" because they like how it feels in their hands?

Don't you think I already know you named your guitar that? :P

obscurejude
12-22-2008, 12:05 PM
What modern philosopher best solves the basic epistemological problems raised by Plato and Aristotle?

What is your dream guitar?

Why did you sell your telecaster? If you got another one, what would it be?

What guage strings do you use on your electric? On your acoustic?

Which pick up position do you prefer the most? Bridge, middle or neck?

Maple or Rosewood finish on the neck?

jayson
12-22-2008, 12:28 PM

What modern philosopher best solves the basic epistemological problems raised by Plato and Aristotle?

Well there's a whole semester worth of coursework right there. :lol:
I personally prefer the existentialists (specifically Sartre) above most other philosophers. I don't find it as desolate and full of despair as many others do. I actually find it quite in line with Buddhism.

What is your dream guitar?

A 1967 Telecaster.

Why did you sell your telecaster? If you got another one, what would it be?

I never had a Tele, and if I had, I can assure you, I'd never sell it. If I had the money, I'd buy one tomorrow. Probably not the '67 bc I doubt I'll have that kind of money to spend on an axe any time soon, but a reasonably priced Squier or Japanese Fender would do nicely. My Strat is a Squier and at least two professional musician friends told me it plays as well as any American Fender Strat they've ever played.

What guage strings do you use on your electric? On your acoustic?

On the Strat I use .11 and on the Gibson ES-135 I use flat-wound strings starting at .13. Two different sounds from two very different guitars. On my acoustic I use .10's.

Which pick up position do you prefer the most? Bridge, middle or neck?

It depends on what style I'm playing. With the strat for funk or jazz, I like the neck pickup for the fuller rounder tones. When I play punk, it's the bridge pickup all the way for that humbucker sound. With the Gibson, it's mostly the neck pickup. That's where the richest tones on an arch-top guitar reside.

Maple or Rosewood finish on the neck?

The Gibson has a Rosewood finish, but I prefer the look of Maple.

obscurejude
12-22-2008, 12:33 PM
I thought you told me one time that you "missed playing your tele." That's why I was under the impression that you sold it.

I prefer maple too. I had to special order my telecaster because they were out of the maple necks. I usually play in the neck position with the tone maxed out. If distorted, then the bridge.

jayson
12-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Nope never had a Tele of my own. A friend of mine had a beautiful Tele and I had it for a few weeks when we used to trade guitars for awhile, but it was never mine to keep. I played the hell out of it, but eventually it went back to him. He has since sold it (if I had the money at the time I'd have bought it myself).

alinda
12-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Sand Key ......:D I love it there! Nice choice ;) I have recently dicovered playalinda on the Atlantic side...very nice, and good surf says Jorge.
Thanks for all the answers Jayson, its nice to hear the more personal stuff we don't always get a chance to know.:couple:

jayson
12-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Sand Key ......:D I love it there! Nice choice ;) I have recently dicovered playalinda on the Atlantic side...very nice, and good surf says Jorge.
Thanks for all the answers Jayson, its nice to hear the more personal stuff we don't always get a chance to know.:couple:

I know very little about the Eastern side of Florida, other than Weston where my parents live and a few music venues in West Palm Beach and Pompano.

You're quite welcome Linda. It's a pleasure. :)

turtlex
12-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Okay, Jayson, besides a front row ticket to the premier debut of "The Somebody's Name Band".... if you could have been at any one concert, any where, any time... what concert would that have been?

What was your favorite concert?

What was your least favorite concert?

jayson
12-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Hooray, more music questions. :)

Okay, Jayson, besides a front row ticket to the premier debut of "The Somebody's Name Band".... if you could have been at any one concert, any where, any time... what concert would that have been?

Miles Davis November 3, 1973 Vienna, Austria

I have the show on dvd and it is the epitome of what I love about that era of Miles' electric bands, especially the stunning guitar work of Pete Cosey, the heavyweight champion of feedback.

What was your favorite concert?

Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos at Tonic in NYC in March of 2002. The club, which is sadly now closed, was the quintessential small hole-in-the-wall club. We got there early and I positioned myself directly in front of the stage and Marc's equipment. The stage was only about two feet off the ground and Marc's chair was about two feet back from the edge of the stage, so when he sat down to play, he was three feet away from me and right at eye level. Getting to see my hero at that close range was beyond description. The music was phenomenal, but just watching Marc's hands made the night for me. I have seen dozens of great shows which stand out to me for all kinds of reasons, but never did I get to watch one of my heroes from such a vantage point.

What was your least favorite concert?

Probably the last time we saw George Clinton and The P-Funk All-Stars, which would be 2006 if I'm not mistaken. We saw them in 2003 and they were fantastic. When we saw them again in 2006, it was just horrible. Clinton himself was incredibly hoarse and just not into it and the band was very sloppy, something I don't expect from P-Funk. It was a terrible show at one of my least favorite venues.

Jean
12-22-2008, 01:20 PM
What is your favorite Bob Dylan song?

Ditto album?

How can I bribe you into reconsidering your attitude towards the ending of Duma Key?

jayson
12-22-2008, 01:24 PM

Now there's a great question. I vacillate between "I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)" and "Love Minus Zero/No Limit".

Ditto album?
Highway 61 Revisited mostly for the pure rawness of that electric sound driven by Mike Bloomfield and his Telecaster ("that wild thin mercurial sound" as Dylan often called it).

How can I bribe you into reconsidering your attitude towards the ending of Duma Key?
I'm sure, like most King, I will re-read at some point and may then appreciate the ending more than I did the first go-round.

turtlex
12-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Okay, stuck on an island... one song ( not one album, a single song ) - which song do you bring to listen to?

jayson
12-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Okay, stuck on an island... one song ( not one album, a single song ) - which song do you bring to listen to?

In a Silent Way - Miles Davis

Written by Joe Zawinul, one of three keyboardists in Miles' band for that album.

turtlex
12-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Do you collect any Dark Tower stuff?

What is your most prized Dark Tower item?

jayson
12-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Do you collect any Dark Tower stuff?

Nope, I'm not much of a collector.

What is your most prized Dark Tower item?

I have a cool bookmark and sketchbook that Patrick sent me. They're my only DT items other than the books and comics that I have.

Brice
12-22-2008, 01:47 PM
If you had to part with all your records, CD's, tapes, etc... which one (only one) would you keep.

jayson
12-22-2008, 01:51 PM
If you had to part with all your records, CD's, tapes, etc... which one (only one) would you keep.

In a Silent Way - Miles Davis

Definitely my favorite album of all time and if I couldn't listen to any other music I could always find comfort in that album.

Brice
12-22-2008, 01:55 PM
What song do you play best?

jayson
12-22-2008, 01:58 PM
What song do you play best?

I'm particularly fond of the way I play Link Wray's "Rumble", "Cissy Strut" by The Meters and "Having an Average Weekend" by Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet (which is more commonly known as the theme song to The Kids in the Hall).

Unfound One
12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey Jayson!

Have you always considered yourself a music snob?

How many other message boards are you a member of?

What is your favorite Tom Waits song and why?

If you could have any pet, what would you have?

How do you feel about the Oxford Comma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma)?

Brice
12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
The second I didn't know till you said The Kids In The Hall. Now I know just the song you mean. :thumbsup:

turtlex
12-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Do you sing along with the car radio ( you know, out loud and carefree )?

Darkthoughts
12-22-2008, 02:07 PM

Yes, Lisa is my british female twinner.
:couple:

My Strat is a Squier
Therefore, it will come as no surprise to you that so is mine :D

Darkthoughts
12-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Oops...forgot the questions!

What piece/s of music would you like played at your funeral?

If you were making a potential (and of course hypothetical) girlfriend a mix tape, what would you put on it? (13 tracks).

What makes "good" music?

jayson
12-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Hey Jayson!

Hi SJ :)

Have you always considered yourself a music snob?

Pretty much. :lol:
I've always considered music to be very important, and I've always been pretty obsessed with finding out as much as I can about it and the people who made it.

How many other message boards are you a member of?

Three. Two radically different guitar-player forums and Tom Waits fan forum.

Ok, that's the most difficult question yet. If absolutely pressed to narrow it to a single song, I'd likely go with "House Where Nobody Lives" from Mule Variations. The lyrics are beautiful, touching, and insightful, the guitar work from Marc Ribot is simple and elegant, and full of rich tone, and Tom's vocal delivery and phrasing is emblematic of what I love about Tom's voice. It's a very simple song, but it speaks to me on so many levels.

Hypothetically, I'd like to have a tiny elephant, like the size of a house-cat. I love elephants but obviously they don't make for realistic pets.

How do you feel about the Oxford Comma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma)?

I was unaware of its name, but I do try (when paying attention) to use it when I list items as I find not using it can sometimes make it seem like there is a connection between the last two items on the list which doesn't actually exist.

jayson
12-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Do you sing along with the car radio ( you know, out loud and carefree )?

Absolutely.

My Strat is a Squier
Therefore, it will come as no surprise to you that so is mine :D

Nope, no surprise at all. :) :couple:

What piece/s of music would you like played at your funeral?

- Blind Willie Johnson's "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground"
- The Cannonball Adderley Quintet's live version of "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" from the 1967 Paris Concert
- Tom Waits' "Come On Up to the House"

If you were making a potential (and of course hypothetical) girlfriend a mix tape, what would you put on it? (13 tracks).

That will take me a little bit of thought, but I promise to return to it shortly.

What makes "good" music?

Excellent question. I suppose what I look for first and foremost is authenticity. I like it when the music sounds like it's genuinely representative of the person(s) who wrote it and their artistic intent. I find that applicable to all genres of music. If it's genuine, it will sound like it.

Darkthoughts
12-22-2008, 02:24 PM
You know, I'm really not familiar with Tom Wait's music at all...although I believe you have finally taken my curiousity to it's limit :D

obscurejude
12-22-2008, 02:26 PM
What is your favorite song off of Ok Computer and why?

jayson
12-22-2008, 02:39 PM
You know, I'm really not familiar with Tom Wait's music at all...although I believe you have finally taken my curiousity to it's limit :D

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about TW and his music. There's a topic I could go on endlessly about.

What is your favorite song off of Ok Computer and why?

Lucky. It's my favorite of all of Radiohead's songs. The music is just so damn cool, especially the tone Johnny gets for the solo parts of it and the intro with the notes played above the nut to get that ghostly sound. I can play all the parts of that song, but not as smoothly yet as I'd like to. It's coming along though.

obscurejude
12-22-2008, 02:42 PM
What do you think the song Everything in its right place is about?

Unfound One
12-22-2008, 02:44 PM

Ok, that's the most difficult question yet. If absolutely pressed to narrow it to a single song, I'd likely go with "House Where Nobody Lives" from Mule Variations. The lyrics are beautiful, touching, and insightful, the guitar work from Marc Ribot is simple and elegant, and full of rich tone, and Tom's vocal delivery and phrasing is emblematic of what I love about Tom's voice. It's a very simple song, but it speaks to me on so many levels.

I'm currently listening to Tom while cleaning, and when I read your post that was the exact song playing. Very cool.

Hypothetically, I'd like to have a tiny elephant, like the size of a house-cat. I love elephants but obviously they don't make for realistic pets.

What an interesting answer. :lol:

Ok, more questions:

What is your earliest memory?

What is your favorite tree? Flower?

Have you traveled overseas? Where? Would you like to if no?

What is the most important thing in your life?

jayson
12-22-2008, 02:46 PM
What do you think the song Everything in its right place is about?

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? :P

Like many of their songs, it can be about any number of things, and OCD comes to mind a lot when I hear it. I know what it means when they play it live... it means prepare to watch Jonny and Ed have a little too much fun with the Korg KAOSS Pad and other sampling pedals to create a series of odd and fun loops. It works great as a show closer because Jonny & Ed tend to play around a little longer when there aren't more songs to get to. We got it as a closer in West Palm in 2003 and they played with it for a good five minutes after the Thom, Colin and Phil had left the stage. This year it came in the middle of the set and the looping fun only lasted a couple of minutes.

Darkthoughts
12-22-2008, 02:46 PM

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about TW and his music. There's a topic I could go on endlessly about.

I used to have a friend (he moved away) who was a huge Tom Waits fan. He'd spring these quotes on me, which I wouldn't be able to place and he'd reply "That's because it's Tom Waits - now get educated and you can join in!" :D

He also described TW's sound as "that feeling you get at 3am when you've had too much whiskey - but can't sleep and are almost contemplating drinking more."

Brice
12-22-2008, 02:53 PM
So how long before the newest fac in the music part of the site starts a Tom Waits thread?

obscurejude
What got you into digital painting?

If Dunder Mifflin was a real company, would you want to work there?

If you could live in another 100 year period, which one would it be and why?

jayson
I'm currently listening to Tom while cleaning, and when I read your post that was the exact song playing. Very cool.

oooh, freaky. That whole album is a masterpiece.

What is your earliest memory?

As far as specific memories, I distinctly remember my parents bringing my sister home from the hospital after she was born, I was a week shy of three years old. I remember some things from before then like what my room looked like, but not specific events in time.

What is your favorite tree?

Number one, the larch. Sorry, Python geek couldn't resist that one.
The actual answer is maple.

Flower?

Rose

Have you traveled overseas? Where? Would you like to if no?

The only places outside of the US I've ever been are Mexico and the Bahamas. I'd love to travel a LOT more. Some places I would love to see would be Israel and Russia (for familial and cultural heritage reasons) and India.

What is the most important thing in your life?
Without a doubt, my family.

obscurejude
12-22-2008, 02:54 PM
So how long before the newest fac in the music part of the site starts a Tom Waits thread?

That's usually the now paying thread.

jayson
12-22-2008, 03:03 PM
I used to have a friend (he moved away) who was a huge Tom Waits fan. He'd spring these quotes on me, which I wouldn't be able to place and he'd reply "That's because it's Tom Waits - now get educated and you can join in!" :D

Yeah, I do that too. :)

He also described TW's sound as "that feeling you get at 3am when you've had too much whiskey - but can't sleep and are almost contemplating drinking more."

It's an accurate depiction of large swaths of his catalog.

Well, I did inform another member of the TW fan forum about this forum, and he's become a pretty active member. He's "Django" here and he seems to be fitting in quite well.

I suppose a TW thread is not far off.

What got you into digital painting?

I'd actually been doing it for awhile, mostly for my own amusement and to explore what I could do with Adobe Photoshop. I started sending some of the better results to my friends. Two of my friends are artists, like actual fine arts artists, and they seemed to think what I was doing was art so I got a lot more into it. Printing some of my pieces out on canvas was a big step for me into realizing it just might be "art".

If Dunder Mifflin was a real company, would you want to work there?

I don't really like the American version of The Office, and I really don't like Scranton, so I'd have to say no. I'd work at Wernham/Hogg though. I loved the British Office.

If you could live in another 100 year period, which one would it be and why?

Interesting. Possibly approx. 580 BCE to 480 BCE so I could have been in India during the lifetime of Siddhārtha Gautama (aka "The Buddha") and take in his teachings first hand.

jayson
12-22-2008, 03:03 PM

That's usually the now paying thread.

That's hilarious, and quite accurate.

Heather19
12-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Hey Jayson! All I've got right now is a few movie questions.
Who's your favorite director?
What's your favorite Hitchcock film?
And what's your favorite classic film (let's say pre 1960)?

obscurejude
12-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Who is the kid on your website homepage?

jayson
12-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Hey Jayson!
Hey Heather! :)

Who's your favorite director?
Unsurprisingly, Quentin Tarantino. I'd say it's QT on a percentage basis. He's still at 100% for me in that he's yet to make a film I haven't thoroughly enjoyed. He may not be the "best" director ever, but as far as making films I love, he's my favorite.

What's your favorite Hitchcock film?

Either North by Northwest or Strangers On a Train

And what's your favorite classic film (let's say pre 1960)?
Definitely the original 1954 version of Twelve Angry Men. It was really the first older film that I saw that made me realize that older films were actually pretty damn cool.

jayson
12-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Who is the kid on your website homepage?

My nephew Jack. The painting next to him is one I did for his room when I found out my sister-in-law was pregnant with him.

cozener
12-22-2008, 05:15 PM
How long is your penis?

Have you, in the last 8 years, pooped in your pants?

Are you bald? If not, did you have a hair transplant?

Do you ever fantasize about being dressed in frilly pink panties and forced to answer to the name, Suzette?

jayson
12-22-2008, 06:05 PM
How long is your penis?

Nine letters long "y-o-u-r p-e-n-i-s".
What? Not the answer you were looking for? :P

Have you, in the last 8 years, pooped in your pants?

Nope.

Are you bald? If not, did you have a hair transplant?

It's starting to get kinda thin in the back, but I'm still a long way from being bald.

Do you ever fantasize about being dressed in frilly pink panties and forced to answer to the name, Suzette?

I told Mrs. Cozener to never repeat that to anyone!

cozener
12-22-2008, 07:01 PM

I told Mrs. Cozener to never repeat that to anyone!

I was snapping photos from the closet...

100,000 (unmarked) beambucks in 24 hours or this time tomorrow they'll be in the Pictures of Kids and Pets thread.

jayson
12-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Arthur Heath
12-22-2008, 10:21 PM
RG -

Is your Kung Foo strong or weak?

Whats the greatest concert you've attended?

Jean
12-23-2008, 12:21 AM
What is your favorite Dylan song?

Ditto album?

turtlex
12-23-2008, 04:38 AM
Okay, Jayson, confession time - tell us the one record you own that will make us laugh...

( prediction : jayson owns every Tesla album ever released )

Brice
12-23-2008, 04:42 AM
Shall we sart a betting pool. :lol: I'll say it's probably Poison.

jayson
12-23-2008, 05:09 AM

Ok, I promised to return to this one, so here it is...

You Got What I Need - Freddie Scott
Something's Got a Hold On Me - Etta James
You Really Got a Hold On Me - The Beatles (Smokey Robinson cover)
You Be My Baby - Ray Charles
Knock On Wood - Otis Redding
I Was Made to Love Her - Jimi Hendrix (Stevie Wonder cover)
She's The One - The Ramones
Have Love, Will Travel - The Black Keys (Sonics' cover)
If You and I Could Be As Two - Them
Nobody 'Cept You - Bob Dylan
I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love WIth You - Tom Waits
Beautiful Girl - George Harrison
Satellite of Love - Lou Reed (Demo version)

Note: I reserve the right to remove any one of these songs and substitute in one appropriate to whatever the hypothetical girl's name is. One of the first conversations my wife and I ever had when we first became friends involved her lamenting that she did not know any songs with her name in it (Melissa) whereupon I told her she obviously didn't listen to the Allman Brothers Band. Shortly thereafter, I made her the first of many many mixed tapes/cd's with the ABB's "Melissa" in the first spot.

Django
12-23-2008, 05:11 AM
Well, I'd like to thank Mr. R_of_G for introducing me to this lovely board which I appreciate reading and contributing to. Your taste in music, films and books is impeccable! Keep up the good work, man!

:couple:

jayson
12-23-2008, 05:22 AM
Is your Kung Foo strong or weak?

You looking to fight me? :lol:
I watch a lot of Kung Fu movies, so it must be strong, right?

Whats the greatest concert you've attended?

Ok, for the fun of it, let's take "greatest concert" as different from Turtlex' "favorite concert" question...

The greatest concert was probably the most recent Radiohead show we saw in May of this year. From the music to the lights to the great time my wife and I had at the show, it was absolutely perfect. They played everything we wanted to hear, plus at least two things we never would have guessed they'd play (and we speculated pretty heavily about the setlist). One of the best aspects of the show was that it was 10 minutes from our home. Easy to get to, easier to get home from. The whole night was perfect, including the imbecile frat boy who tried to start a fight with me (it was my moment of greatest restraint).

Or, if we take "greatest" by its literal definition to mean "longest" concert, it was Phish December 31, 1999 at Big Cypress, Florida. They came on stage shortly before midnight and didn't stop playing until the sun rose around 7:45 the next morning. I still remember that show nearly note for note. Of the many many Phish shows I saw, that may not have been the tightest, but it was by far the best.

jayson
12-23-2008, 05:31 AM
What is your favorite Dylan song?

Ditto album?

These questions seem familiar, perhaps because the bear asked them yesterday. :lol:

My answers remain the same, but here they are again...

Now there's a great question. I vacillate between "I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)" and "Love Minus Zero/No Limit".

Ditto album?
Highway 61 Revisited mostly for the pure rawness of that electric sound driven by Mike Bloomfield and his Telecaster ("that wild thin mercurial sound" as Dylan often called it).

I'm sure, like most King, I will re-read at some point and may then appreciate the ending more than I did the first go-round.

Okay, Jayson, confession time - tell us the one record you own that will make us laugh...

I'd be interested to see the results of that pool, maybe I should withhold my answer. :lol:

I can tell you this, anybody guessing any of the "hair metal" bands is way off base. I can assure you, there is none of that in my collection.

Some people might be surprised to know there is a fairly substantial amount of Neil Diamond in my collection. Growing up with my mom for a mom it was hard not to hear my fair share of Neil and it stuck with me.

Well, I'd like to thank Mr. R_of_G for introducing me to this lovely board which I appreciate reading and contributing to. Your taste in music, films and books is impeccable! Keep up the good work, man!

I'm glad you came here and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I think you're fitting in quite well here. I always look forward to reading your posts both here and at the Waits forum. :)

Brice
12-23-2008, 06:40 AM

I'd be interested to see the results of that pool, maybe I should withhold my answer. :lol:

I can tell you this, anybody guessing any of the "hair metal" bands is way off base. I can assure you, there is none of that in my collection.

Some people might be surprised to know there is a fairly substantial amount of Neil Diamond in my collection. Growing up with my mom for a mom it was hard not to hear my fair share of Neil and it stuck with me.

I actually like Neil Diamond alot myself. He was one of my brother's favorites and it's stuck with me too. :)

jayson
12-23-2008, 06:44 AM
Initially, I think I liked him more for nostalgic reasons than anything else, but after this many years of listening to him, I've come to realize he's a very good songwriter and I love his voice. I may not like all of the choices he makes in terms of arrangements, but when I boil the songs down to their integral parts (the chord changes, the lyrics, etc) there are some great songs in his catalog that I'd love to take apart and put back together in my own playing.

Django
12-23-2008, 07:18 AM
His last two albums produced by Rick Rubin are very good. 12 Songs particularly.

jayson
12-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Absolutely. Rubin was able to do for Neil just what he did for Johnny Cash. I'm not always the biggest fan of Rubin's production, but the work he does with some of the elder statesmen of singer/songwriters is very well done.

Another example of what can be done with a Neil Diamond song is in the performance of "Dry Your Eyes" Neil gives with The Band in The Last Waltz. It's a very simple song, but with a band like The Band behind him, the song becomes an enormous sweeping statement.

turtlex
12-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Neil Diamond?
That's the best you could come up with?
I've seen him in concert.
I'm sure there's some...oh I don't know...Candy Dulfer or something you have ( being used as a drink coaster, perhaps ).

Odetta
12-23-2008, 08:55 AM
what is your middle name?

what is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?

fave Spinal Tap line?

Brice
12-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Neil Diamond?
I'm sure there's some...oh I don't know...Candy Dulfer or something you have ( being used as a drink coaster, perhaps ).

Well, there is Jayson's vast and comprehensive Menudo and N'SYNC collection.

jayson
12-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Neil Diamond?

Well, there is Jayson's vast and comprehensive Menudo and N'SYNC collection.

Dammit Brice, you promised that if I copied it all for you that you'd never tell anyone. :)

Seriously though, I can't think of anything off the top of my head particularly laughable. I will have to look through it all and see what I can come up with.

what is your middle name?

Lee

what is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?

There was the time on a school trip to the zoo in second grade that a pigeon flew over head and crapped on my arm which led me to start crying hysterically. That comes to mind instantly. Freakin' traumatizing.

fave Spinal Tap line?

"D-minor, the saddest of all chords." - Nigel Tufnel

I cannot play anything in Dm without saying that line as soon as I start.

Jean
12-23-2008, 09:37 AM
These questions seem familiar, perhaps because the bear asked them yesterday. :lol:

My answers remain the same, but here they are again...

Ditto album?

You see, the bear wasn't sure he posted yesterday, and for some reason couldn't find this post later... so just posted again. The answers are very satisfactory! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

turtlex
12-23-2008, 10:23 AM
fave Spinal Tap line?

"D-minor, the saddest of all chords." - Nigel Tufnel

I cannot play anything in Dm without saying that line as soon as I start.

Wasn't Lick My Love Pump done in D-minor? :D

jayson
12-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Wasn't Lick My Love Pump done in D-minor? :D

It was indeed. That line is in the scene where Nigel is telling Marty DiBergi about that piece.

turtlex
12-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Chris Guest has perfect comic timing. Just priceless.

jayson
12-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Chris Guest has perfect comic timing. Just priceless.

Indeed. He's an absolute comedic genius. He happens to be a damn fine musician as well.

Odetta
12-24-2008, 07:34 AM
YouTube - Spinal Tap: Christmas with the Devil

jayson
12-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Awesome!

Merry Christmas Odetta!!!

Odetta
12-24-2008, 07:40 AM
:nana:
:wub:

sarah
12-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi Jayson! :couple:

Sorry I missed your coming out thread. I've been in and out of town for almost two weeks now.

I've sure had fun reading through your thread getting to know you even better. :huglove:

Favorite T-Shirt?

Favorite Vacation?

Dream Vacation?

Favorite actor used in a Tarantino film and why?

Favorite character in a Tarantino film and why?

jayson
12-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi Jayson! :couple:

Sorry I missed your coming out thread. I've been in and out of town for almost two weeks now.

Welcome back Sarah! I've seen some of the pics you posted. very cool. I hope you and the family had a great time in your travels.

I've sure had fun reading through your thread getting to know you even better. :huglove:

Thanks, it's been fun doing this.

Favorite T-Shirt?
My Miles Davis t-shirt. Well, the blue Miles t-shirt. I have two Miles t-shirts, but I like the blue one best.

Favorite Vacation?
I haven't been too many places. My trip to the Bahamas was a lot of fun and memorable.

Dream Vacation?
I'd love to go to India. Between my obsession with the religious traditions and my obsession with the music, I think it would be a trip I'd never forget.

Favorite actor used in a Tarantino film and why?
Tim Roth because of his versatility. He can play anything and QT knows that and uses him perfectly. There's such a wide difference between Mr. Orange in Reservoir Dogs and Pumpkin in Pulp Fiction but Roth pulls them both off masterfully.

If I could give an honorable mention here, it would be to Robert Forrester for his performance as Max Cherry in Jackie Brown. Forrester is just so authentic. I bought into Max from the first second he was on screen and loved what Forrester did with the role.

Favorite character in a Tarantino film and why?
Beatrix Kiddo (aka "The Bride"). She's the ultimate badass, and she's doing it for all the right reasons.

The Lady of Shadows
12-27-2008, 11:18 AM
hi jayson. here are some questions. i hope that they aren't repeats.

1. what is your proudest non-musical accomplishment other than ella rose?
2. if you could change one thing in your past what would it be?
3. what is the one thing that defines you as a person, other than music?
4. what is your favorite moment of the day and why?
5. since i can't have ella, can i just borrow her for an unspecified period of time?

jayson
12-27-2008, 11:27 AM
1. what is your proudest non-musical accomplishment other than ella rose?
My marriage. Marriage takes work to make it last. I'm very proud that in February we will be celebrating 12 years and are still going strong.

2. if you could change one thing in your past what would it be?
I wish I'd have majored in music. I don't really regret my academic work at all, in fact I loved every second of it. I just wish that I could do college over again majoring in music. There's so much I love about music theory, but teaching myself, as fulfilling as it is, is nowhere near as productive as it would have been to learn it in an academic setting.

3. what is the one thing that defines you as a person, other than music?
I like to think it's my wit. It's been said more than once by friends and family that talking to me is somewhat reminiscent of Hollywood Squares in that the first answer is, more often than not, a joke. I can't help myself. Jokes occur to me and out they come. I'm just glad that most of the time they're good ones.

4. what is your favorite moment of the day and why?
When Ella wakes up for the day. When I go in her room to get her out of her crib she always has the biggest smile for me. Nothing else can compare to that feeling of seeing my daughter's happiness at seeing my face.

5. since i can't have ella, can i just borrow her for an unspecified period of time?
You'll bring her back, right? :lol:

The Lady of Shadows
12-27-2008, 01:16 PM
You'll bring her back, right? :lol:

ummmm. :unsure: yeah, sure jayson. :unsure: absolutely. :nope: as soon as hell freezes over. :nope:

and thanks for the answers.

sarah
12-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Jayson, I love love love The Bride as well. She kicks ass. Another favorite for me would be Melanie. :lol: she's just so hilarious.

and Max Cherry is played by perfection by Forrester. I don't think anyone else could've pulled him off quite as nicely as he did.

jayson
12-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Jayson, I love love love The Bride as well. She kicks ass. Another favorite for me would be Melanie. :lol: she's just so hilarious.

And played wonderfully by Bridget Fonda, who was the absolute perfect casting choice for that role. Her back and forth with DeNiro shows she has some serious comedic skills because he sure as hell does.

and Max Cherry is played by perfection by Forrester. I don't think anyone else could've pulled him off quite as nicely as he did.

I agree. There's something about the scene of Max in his car listening to The Delfonics that is just so touching and I'm not sure anybody else could have played that scene as perfectly as Forrester did.

obscurejude
12-28-2008, 01:46 AM
What is your favorite song off of The Bends and why?

Does learning guitar theory help you or hurt you creatively?

What has been the most difficult part of it?

If you had to lose one of your five senses, which one could you best do without?

jayson
12-28-2008, 02:00 AM
What is your favorite song off of The Bends and why?
Fake Plastic Trees. It's the perfect example of how a very simple piece of music can become a huge song. The way it builds in intensity from one verse to the next is brilliant. Most bands would just start out huge and keep going. RH were smart enough to start it off nice and simple, just Thom and the acoustic guitar and keep adding layers to it until that final verse where it's become this massive thing. I also think lyrically it's some of Thom's better work, certainly among the best lyrics he had written up to that point in time.

Does learning guitar theory help you or hurt you creatively?
It typically helps me. Anything that expands my knowledge of the instrument usually helps me in some way.

What has been the most difficult part of it?
That a lot of it is very mathematical. Math is not my strong suit.

If you had to lose one of your five senses, which one could you best do without?

I suppose if I had to lose one, I'd opt for smell. It's not that I don't like to smell things, but compared to the other four, it's the one I could live without if need be.

Unfound One
12-28-2008, 02:07 AM
Why on earth are you up at 4am? Ella?

jayson
12-28-2008, 02:09 AM
Why on earth are you up at 4am? Ella?

Nope. Ella is, thankfully, sound asleep.
I've suffered from periods of insomnia pretty much my whole life. It comes and goes, but I seem to be entering another period of it being around.

ps. It's 5 am here. :P

Unfound One
12-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Boo I'm sorry Jayson. :(

jayson
12-28-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm used to it at this point. I actually got a few hours of sleep before I woke up at 3:30. It's depressing when I have to get up for something the next day, but all I have on my schedule for Sunday is grocery shopping and watching football so I should be alright.

obscurejude
12-28-2008, 02:24 AM
I'm in the same boat man. I just hope I can't doze off before the sun comes up.

jayson
12-28-2008, 02:29 AM
Love the new sig/av combo Ryan.
As odd as the video is for that song, I love it.

obscurejude
12-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks. I need to resize the image. I've been listening to Fake Plastic Trees on repeat for about four days now.

jayson
12-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks. I need to resize the image. I've been listening to Fake Plastic Trees on repeat for about four days now.

You should start collecting some live RH. Then you can listen to lots of different versions of it. I love listening to some of the little nuances that Thom changes in his vocal delivery or Johnny is his guitar tone from performance to performance. Live RH is like musical crack. Once you start, you can't stop. Comparing and contrasting live versions of songs is what makes it fun, and addictive.

Unfound One
12-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Live RH is like musical crack. Once you start, you can't stop. Comparing and contrasting live versions of songs is what makes it fun, and addictive.

This is so true. I had never listened to live versions before Jayson sent them to me, but now I love them. I think I prefer live RH now, actually. Especially excellent quality recordings (like Stockholm 1995). :D

jayson
12-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Live RH is like musical crack. Once you start, you can't stop. Comparing and contrasting live versions of songs is what makes it fun, and addictive.

This is so true. I had never listened to live versions before Jayson sent them to me, but now I love them. I think I prefer live RH now, actually. Especially excellent quality recordings (like Stockholm 1995). :D

Hooray for SJ! That Stockholm show is the best Bends era show there is.

Unfound One
12-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Heh. All this RH talk has me listening again.
But I'm not complaining.

Randall Flagg
12-29-2008, 01:08 PM
As a condemned man, you get to choose your final meal. Appetizer, entree, dessert, and a non-alcoholic beverage. Choices?

Preferred sleeping position?

Water bed or mattress?

Bong, or Zig Zags?

Lava light or black light?

jayson
12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
As a condemned man, you get to choose your final meal. Appetizer, entree, dessert, and a non-alcoholic beverage. Choices?

Appetizer - Some good hearty soup, perhaps a New England clam chowder
Entree - Steak. If I'm going out, I'm having one last good steak before I do.
Dessert - Chocolate cake. Simple, but chocolatey. mmm...chocolatey
Beverage - Dr. Pepper

Preferred sleeping position?
On my side. It's the only way I can sleep without having back issues.

Water bed or mattress?

Mattress. We had a water bed for awhile. It was plenty fun for, ummm, non-sleeping bed activities, but not all that comfortable for sleeping.

Bong, or Zig Zags?

Bong, without a doubt. Joints are nice, but I prefer the kind of nugs that you only need a hit or two to get the job done so a joint would be overkill.

Lava light or black light?

Lava light. Black light is fun for awhile for sure, but the lava lamp is endless entertainment.

Good questions Jerome. I liked those. :)

Unfound One
12-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Hey again Jayson. Random questions follow:

What's the most unusual thing you know how to do?

Is there anything you can't say no to?

Okay, steak's your favorite - what your least favorite food?

What's your biggest pet peeve?

When you sleep, do you remember your dreams? Are they very vivid?

What makes you bored?

There's a fire and you can grab 3 objects before running out. Your family and pets are safe outside. What are the three objects?

That's all for now. :)

jayson
12-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Hey again Jayson.

Hey again SJ :)

What's the most unusual thing you know how to do?

I will have to think on this one. It's a good question. :)

Is there anything you can't say no to?

Requests for help from family and friends. My family and my close friends would and have done any number of things to help me at different times and I would never hesitate to do anything for any of them if they needed.

Okay, steak's your favorite - what your least favorite food?

I don't care for most kinds of fish.

Perhaps unsolicited advice.

When you sleep, do you remember your dreams? Are they very vivid?

I typically do remember most of them, at least for a few hours after waking, some more intense dreams for much much longer. They are often quite vivid.

What makes you bored?

Not having anything good to read or someone to talk to. I like to keep my brain stimulated. Conversation and reading are the two best ways to do that. Well, if there's a guitar handy I can always keep myself occupied too.

There's a fire and you can grab 3 objects before running out. Your family and pets are safe outside. What are the three objects?

My Gibson ES-135
My amp
My laptop

The rest can burn. :onfire:

The Lady of Shadows
12-29-2008, 02:09 PM

Perhaps unsolicited advice.

you know jayson, if i can offer you some help with this. . . .

:P

Heather19
12-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Are you as sad as I am to see Pulp Fiction losing in the BMOAT tournament? :(

jayson
12-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Maybe even sadder. :(

If it was losing to Citizen Kane or Twelve Angry Men I could accept it, hell, I'd vote for them too, but to Shawshank? It's good, but c'mon.

Matt
12-29-2008, 02:55 PM
I think Shawshank beats Pulp Fiction hands down. :clap:

<--hides

Heather19
12-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Maybe even sadder. :(

If it was losing to Citizen Kane or Twelve Angry Men I could accept it, hell, I'd vote for them too, but to Shawshank? It's good, but c'mon.

If I had put money on it, it would have been my pick to win it all.

jayson
12-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Mine too Heather, mine too.

And don't hide Matt. You have the right to your opinion (even if it's wrong :P)

Letti
12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Huh Jayson, your thread has grown damn long very quickly.
Understandable. :wub:
Whenever I can read all the questions and your answers you can count on me I'll come to bomb you with some more.
Thank you for all your kindness. You are a great man with a beautiful family.

Jean
12-31-2008, 01:36 AM
what Nikolett said!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

jayson
12-31-2008, 06:01 AM
Huh Jayson, your thread has grown damn long very quickly.
Understandable. :wub:
Whenever I can read all the questions and your answers you can count on me I'll come to bomb you with some more.
Thank you for all your kindness. You are a great man with a beautiful family.

Thank you Letti. :couple:
I look forward to your questions because you always ask such interesting ones!

what Nikolett said!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

And you know I am looking forward to your questions. Bears are always inquisitive about interesting things. :)

sarajean
06-19-2009, 01:03 PM
you wanna watch tv and maybe listen to some hüsker dü?

could you say "i'm a little insane?"

do you lose your inspiration when your heart isn't unglued?

does the past chew on your shoes?

are you dressed for success?

how should we spend our last quarterstance?

jayson
06-19-2009, 01:40 PM
you wanna watch tv and maybe listen to some hüsker dü?

it would be so cool :couple:

could you say "i'm a little insane?"

i probably will :)

do you lose your inspiration when your heart isn't unglued?

i do tend to pray for rain :panic:

does the past chew on your shoes?

when memories lick my ear, yes, yes it does. :rolleyes:

are you dressed for success?

yeah, but success it never comes ;)

how should we spend our last quarterstance?

randomly of course

:huglove:

best questions ever

sarajean
06-19-2009, 01:41 PM
6/6!

jayson
06-19-2009, 01:58 PM
That's a better score than another I got recently. :rolleyes: :couple:

IWasSentWest
02-09-2010, 03:09 PM
what happened to you? i looked at ur posts and you just quit coming, and you not a mod anymore and have no sig or avatar....but ur not banned.....

odd

Brice
02-09-2010, 03:36 PM
He chose to take some time away. Hopefully he'll be back.

IWasSentWest
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
ahhhh. understandable. i do it from time to time myself, that brice guy just drives me nuts sometimes......oh wait, hey man!

:dance:

Brice
02-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Yeah, he gets on my nerves too. <_<