PDA

View Full Version : New King Movies

chrismart83
07-02-2007, 04:20 AM

Ruki
07-02-2007, 04:30 AM
cool :) i hope they do a good job with it.

Darkthoughts
07-02-2007, 04:59 AM
I can see the elements of the story that will translate very well to film...but I imagine the parts of it I liked the most will be horribly rehashed or completely omitted.

Bah humbug...I'm a bit of a pessimist when it comes to book to movie adaptations :P

Matt
07-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Thanks for posting this Chrism--it is not featured on our news page under Duma Key. :nana:

I am hoping this will be really good.

Wuducynn
07-02-2007, 03:39 PM
...I'm a bit of a pessimist when it comes to book to movie adaptations :P

Rightfully so.

NeedfulKings
07-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Good news. I'm always up for an attempt at a decent adaptation. King said it best...if you don't like the movie, you'll always have the book to fall back on. I agree. :)

Steve
07-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Maybe they can get John Cusack for this too. He's SK adaptation gold.

jhanic
07-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Old people who get younger--remember Golden Years?

John

Steve
07-02-2007, 08:55 PM
D'oh! I wish I could.

Spencer
07-05-2007, 07:10 AM

John

Did that ever get released on video?

Brice
07-05-2007, 07:18 AM

John

Did that ever get released on video?

Yeah, years ago.

ErinPatricia
07-05-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm hoping this will be good....but Im not going to place any bets on it lol.

ZoNeSeeK
09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
I just finished a re-read of insomnia, so its nice and fresh. Ive always wanted them to do a movie version of this as I thought the aura/balloon string/bald doctors would translate really well.

Great Old One
10-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Good Review Matt. Good looking new features,also.Found the music most intriguing:clap:

Matt
10-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Glad to hear that Dad :D

pickle
12-20-2008, 03:30 PM
IMDb has a short list of King films that seem to be in production for next year. Thse are:

From a Buick 8 (2009) (in production) (novel)
Bag of Bones (2009) (in production) (novel)
Cell (2009) (announced) (novel)
"The Talisman" (2009) TV mini-series (pre-production) (novel)
Creepshow (2008) (pre-production) (short story)
... aka Creepshow '08 (International: English title: informal title)
... aka Creepshow 4 (International: English title: informal alternative title)
... aka Creepshow IV (International: English title: informal alternative title)
Dolan's Cadillac (2009) (post-production) (novel)
Children of the Corn (2009) (TV) (post-production) (story)
... aka Stephen King's Children of the Corn (USA: complete title)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000175/

Are you looking forward to any of these?

razz
12-20-2008, 03:35 PM
well I hear that Children of the Korn will be a "SciFi Original Movie". Not matter how bad they do, it can't be worse than what the first movie did.

pickle
12-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Bag of Bones and the Cell are the ones that i am looking forward too.

razz
12-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah apparently Eli Roth will direct it.

pickle
12-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Yeah i heard that, i wonder who is doing bag of bones?

DanishCollector
12-21-2008, 03:36 AM
From what I've heard the Creepshow thingy has been cancelled, which should be a good thing because the people behind the terrible Creepshow 3 were behind this as well.

King has seen cuts of Dolan's Cadillac and has said nice things about it. But I still can't see Slater as Dolan. But we'll see.

Heather19
12-21-2008, 08:55 AM

Mick Garris is directing it.

pickle
12-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Sweet

Fall of Gilead
12-21-2008, 11:21 AM
The Talisman, definitely.

Bev Vincent
12-21-2008, 01:04 PM
IMDB is highly optimistic. The only movies we could see in 2009 are Dolan's Cadillac and the remake of Children of the Corn. To say that the others are "in production" is misleading. That's not to say that some of them might go into production in '09 -- but even if they did we'd be unlikely to see the films until the following year. I consider both The Talisman and Cell dead at present.

DanishCollector
12-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Oh, yeah, the never-coming Talisman.

Brice
12-22-2008, 06:45 AM
...or the always-coming Talisman. :lol: I suppose it amounts to the same.

DanishCollector
12-22-2008, 07:29 AM
It sure does, Brice:lol:

jaded1s
12-22-2008, 07:37 AM
I am both afraid and intrigued by those titles in production.

From A Buick 8 scared the crap outta me, so I'm kind of excited about that but afraid that it will not translate well to film.

The other ones I'm not so familiar with, but I will certainly watch them when they come out.

Aaron
12-22-2008, 03:38 PM

Please God NO!

Why does this guy get to keep fucking up King adaptations?

:(

JiMiTHiNG
12-23-2008, 02:59 PM
"The Talisman" could be very good if it was done on a subscription cable channel like HBO or Showtime as a miniseries. Well casted, with a nice budget I could see that being really good..in the right hands.

"Bag of Bones" this is one that I feel prob will suck as a film in nearly any film makers hands. I really enjoyed the book but have a hard time buying it being a great film. I could really see this ending up being on of those King books that isn't great as a film.

"The Cell' I think this could do really well in film format. I would love to see it shot with like a hand cam type look to it. This book seemed very movie like to me as I read it.

pickle
12-23-2008, 04:29 PM
"The Cell' I think this could do really well in film format. I would love to see it shot with like a hand cam type look to it. This book seemed very movie like to me as I read it.

I agree, i think the fact that it is about zombies helps the belivability of it being a good film. I like the hand cam idea, kind like they did in Cloverfield? that would be sweet.

Matt
12-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Oh man, that camera view point makes me really motion sick. :(

Heather19
12-23-2008, 06:05 PM

Please God NO!

Why does this guy get to keep fucking up King adaptations?

:(

I agree. I wish they could ban him from touching another King story. This is one that I kinda hope never happens because I loved the story and don't want to see it get messed up.

razz
12-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Here's my simple logic:it will be a big fucking FAIL. everything. because almost nothing of King's translates well into film. Because what Stephen King does is take reality, and copy it down on paper. how people act, think, talk, etc. and actors can't do that. There's a difference between reality and hollywood reality. Stephen King writes reality, which is fucking impossible to translate to hollywood reality. that's why they add twists to his work, or cut things, or change things; because the actors can't do what it should/would be. and that's why almost everything they make SUCKS.
read this then play guess my mood

JiMiTHiNG
12-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Shawshank proves that a King work can make a good film though.. and Yes I did mean something along the lines of Cloverfield for how Cell should be shot..not quite so shaky and such but something of a similar style would work well I think.

Sam
12-23-2008, 08:25 PM
What appalls me is that King's books are SO much like a movie that it should easy to translate. The biggest problem with Hollywood making a King film is they always have to involve Hollywood. If those fuckers would stay the hell away from the story and stopp adding shit just to add it, a really great film could be made. See Shawshank, see Green Mile. Wonderful films both of them. Stand By Me, great film. You see much Hollywood in those? No. You see it more in Green Mile than anything else (and THAT shit with the lights blowing out could have been left behind too).

Will Hollywood producers decide once more that THEY know what people like more than a worldwide best selling author? Every fucking day, you betcha!!

DanishCollector
12-24-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm one of those who enjoyed Garris' take on The Stand and The Stand, but not without recognizing its flaws here and there. For me, Garris' approach to King's work went downhill with Riding the Bullet and Desperation. So Bag of Bones with him behind the camera ain't lookin' pretty. Especially since he's such a TV man to the bone. A feature film by Garris will look like a big screen TV movie. But I don't hate Garris, he's done a few goodies and some all-righties, but no more, please.

DanishCollector
12-24-2008, 02:08 AM
I meant The Stand and The Shining, not The Stand and The Stand.

Beamer
12-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I liked the book, but movie? I dont know...I thoguth Dream Catcher would be gooud, but look what they did to that...
I would like to see the Talisman and Black House though
Or a new The Stand
of course Dark Tower
but I would like to see The Rage (Bachman books)
or Insomnia...
the long walk would be interesting...
I am reading Dumas Key now...it would be good..
I could see movies for those...
but Bag of Bones would be lacking as a movie..

Beamer
12-25-2008, 01:22 PM
i still havent read buick 8 or cell yet....

Beamer
12-25-2008, 01:22 PM
been slacking....

GVirus15
02-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Talisman: Epic YAY!
Cell: Epic YAY...again!

Those are my two FAVORITE SK books ever. I've read The Talisman I-don't-know-how-many times, and Cell? Well, who doesn't like Cell?

"The Signal" - some movie that just came out - was a total rip-off of Cell. People told me it sucked. Serves 'em right. :)

candy
02-09-2009, 10:24 AM
i'm quite excited about bag of bones as these type of SK books tend to translate quite well on screen. not looking forward to cell, you would think that it would make a good movie but for some reasons his larger scale disasters dont make it real on the screen, they never seem to get into the characters the same way they do with his smaller character led book (green mile, misery etc)

if the talisman is done with care it would be fantastic as it would appeal to all ages.

quite excited by all this movie news as it seems to have been a bit quite recently apart from the mist, which was surprisngly good

Bev Vincent
02-09-2009, 11:07 AM
None of these movies are anywhere close to production. Bag of Bones is the closest, as there's a script, a director and something of a plan. The Talisman, boy, if I see that one in my lifetime I'll be amazed. It's been on-again, off-again for 25 years.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I think that The Cell and Bag of Bones would make decent movies. Children of the Corn could be freaking awesome and scary as hell, if done right. I mean what is more scary than a town full of children that systematically execute all the adults in town.

I think Dolans Cadillac is a story best reserved as a short. Creepshow or Tales from the Crypt or Twilight Zone style.

I dont think Buick 8 would translate well in any visual medium.

herbertwest
03-06-2009, 12:47 PM
DOLAN'S CADILLAC

there are new update on lilja, but also... imdb says that it have been screened in a german festival the 6th of feb!

pixiedark76
03-06-2009, 02:50 PM
I think that Cell would make an AWESOME movie! The special effects should be amazing. Out of all of Stephen Kings books, Cell is the best to be adapted to film. I think it would do very well. The Mist did well and it was a disaster type book like Cell. In these hard economic times people will probably flock to the theaters to see disaster/ end of civilization as we know it type films.
These type of movies might make people feel better because they show how bad things could really get!

Brice
03-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Plus of course if the world ends you don't have to pay taxes or worry about bills. :rock: So even Armageddon is a good thing. :lol:

Ruthful
03-07-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm one of those who enjoyed Garris' take on The Stand...

I agree. The Stand holds up well, IMO.

Everything else he's done, with a few exceptions, has been shiite though.

herbertwest
03-26-2009, 04:11 AM
according to imdb, Dolan's Cadillac is planned for an american release in december 09

RolandStageDive
04-03-2009, 10:20 PM
From a Buick 8 was my first real King book. I'm glad that it's coming as a film and can't wait to see it. Is it coming out under any special title or just as From a Buick 8?

Bev Vincent
04-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Presumably under its own title, but it's still not in production.

herbertwest
04-04-2009, 03:17 AM
Just for the information, the french title of From a buick 8, is, Roadmaster

RolandStageDive
04-04-2009, 10:26 AM
*Makes note* Thank'ee

Bev Vincent
07-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Fango’s Tony Timpone just called up from Montreal’s Fantasia film festival with a hot scoop: John Harrison, whose Clive Barker-based feature BOOK OF BLOOD is premiering at the event, is writing a four-hour miniseries based on Stephen King’s CELL. The 2006 novel sees the population of America transformed into mindless, rampaging killers by a signal sent through their cell phones.

Harrison is scripting CELL for the Weinstein Company, which had originally planned to turn the book into a theatrical feature (with Eli Roth attached at one point to direct), but decided to abandon those plans and will be shopping the project to networks instead. Having served as assistant director/composer on the King-scripted CREEPSHOW and helmed TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE: THE MOVIE (including an adaptation of the author’s “Cat from Hell”), Harrison considers CELL one of King’s best recent books, with opening chapters that will make an incredible first 30 minutes on screen. The filmmaker adds that he doesn’t see this as a zombie story so much as a VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED-esque chiller, and enjoys the fact that the infected populace possesses a hive mentality. While he has been officially contracted to direct, he would certainly like to. BOOK OF BLOOD screens at Fantasia tonight at 7 p.m. (the show is almost sold out as of now); look for exclusive video of Harrison discussing BOOK, CELL and other projects at this site tomorrow!

>>> Source (http://www.fangoria.com/home/news/9-film-news/3203-stephen-kings-cell-will-now-ring-as-tv-miniseries.html)

candy
07-13-2009, 10:59 AM
:excited: thats all i have to say bev
oh and :clap: to you for sharing

Bev Vincent
07-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Children of the Corn (the remake) premieres on SyFy on Saturday, September 26 at 9pm Eastern/Pacific.

Ricky
07-20-2009, 06:38 AM
Totally off topic, but does it irk anyone else that the SciFi channel is now SyFy instead of SciFi? :panic:

jhanic
07-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Yes.

John

candy
07-20-2009, 10:26 AM
we are still sci fi in the Uk
for now................

Gris
07-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Yeah. Not sure why they did that. Probably trying to break away from the "geek" stereotype. They are no longer Science Fiction, now they are random letters that just happen to sound like SciFi.

Heather19
07-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Yes, the name change to SyFy is really irritating me as well.

As for Cell, I'm excited. It's one of my favorite stories and I've been dying for them to make a film from it. I know that I was one of the few that was actually happy when Eli Roth was set to direct it, so I'm just hoping John Harrison can do it justice.

Ricky
07-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Craig, that last bit just about made my day. :lol:

Before I knew that it was Syfy, I was flipping through the channel names on the guide and I saw 'SyFy'. I'm like what in the world is Sifee? It took me awhile to realize that they changed the letters.

LastGuns1nger
07-24-2009, 12:12 PM
well there are good stephen king movies
and then there are those that shouldnt be made into movies
and im not sure where i stand on Insomnia guess i shall have to wait and see
but i want to say if u havent seen the mist u really should
in the beginning he is paining a picture
its roland a rose and the tower
i freaked out

GirlGoneNineteen
07-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Anything that is a SciFi Channel movie will suck.
It's just one of those things that keeps the universe in motion. Too bad that it has to be ANOTHER crap version of COTC - that story scared the crap out of me!

herbertwest
08-24-2009, 09:45 AM
the dark tower, the movies

Cinematical is reporting that the first Dark Tower (titled The Gunslinger) movie could roll out as early as 2010, but apparently not until Lost wraps up its final season in the spring. Though I haven’t seen many episodes of Lost, it’s nice to know they want to focus on delivering the highly anticipated final season before getting started on adapting their favorite author’s work.

http://screenrant.com/dark-tower-film-update-heath-22685/
reported from IMDB (stephen king's page)

Bev Vincent
08-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Rampant speculation that has cropped up recently with absolutely no basis in reality. I think JJ Abrams will go straight into the Star Trek sequel. He still doesn't have the film rights, so far as I know, to the DT series. Just an option to present a proposal.

candy
08-24-2009, 10:43 AM
it looks like this could just run and run, i am sure that after star trek mr abrams will have another project that he needs to finish

herbertwest
08-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Rampant speculation that has cropped up recently with absolutely no basis in reality. I think JJ Abrams will go straight into the Star Trek sequel. He still doesn't have the film rights, so far as I know, to the DT series. Just an option to present a proposal.

Yeah I remember that he only got an option, and that the screenplay havent really been started yet. He was saying in an interview that he first wanted Lost to be finished before attacking the dark tower with the other producter of Lost.

I didnt hear about a Star Trek sequel though... There are probably quite a few years before a hypothetical adaptation will comes up

Bev Vincent
09-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Brothers John and Paul Buckholts have secured the rights and are developing an adaptation of King's story "Home Delivery." The film would focus on a Maine island where survivors escape from the undead. According to Paul Buckholts, Ryuhei Kitamura (Midnight Meat Train) is attached to direct.

"Home Delivery" was once considered for adaptation by Mick Garris who wanted to bring the story to the screen when Masters of Horror was still on the air.

mae
09-10-2009, 04:52 AM
Here's a story about it: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/33441/ryuhei-kitamura-and-stephen-king-making-a-home-delivery

Bev Vincent
09-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Someone asked why King shows up as co-author on Children of the Corn. Here's the answer:

King, who is credited as a co-writer, has seen this movie, Borchers said. Writers Guild of America regulations state that he could keep his name in the credits, be listed under a pseudonym or take his name off completely. He elected to keep his name in the credits, Borchers proudly said.

mae
09-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Weird. So he didn't actually write a word of this movie?

Bev Vincent
09-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Not directly -- but text from his story could have been used. At least a few the's and and's made it in, I'm sure. :)

herbertwest
09-21-2009, 10:28 AM
at least this one is approved by King, and must be a good movie

Bev Vincent
09-21-2009, 10:39 AM
"Approved by King" does not necessarily equal "must be a good movie!" Remember Dreamcatcher!

jhanic
09-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Or Maximum Overdrive.

John

herbertwest
09-21-2009, 11:22 AM
yeah, but it is more likely to be good...
Look at Children of the corn 2 and more...

(actually i liked dreamcatcher... half of it )

flaggwalkstheline
09-21-2009, 12:22 PM
at least this one is approved by King, and must be a good movie

plus he made maximum overdrive:scared:

DanishCollector
09-21-2009, 02:29 PM
he also liked some footage from Dolan's Cadillac when it was in the making...

Ari_Racing
09-21-2009, 04:42 PM
I enjoyed Maximum Overdrive! I laughed a lot while watching it.

I preffer it to Dreamcatcher, Graveyard shift or The Mangler...

ola
09-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Am I the only one here that liked Dreamcatcher more than most SK movies?

Bev Vincent
09-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Maybe. I liked the first half, was okay with the next 1/4 and hated the final 1/4. I think they tried to cram too much of the huge novel into the screenplay.

There are updates on FAB8 and "Quitter's Inc." on the SKMB today.

Cloysterpete
09-24-2009, 11:00 AM
"Approved by King" does not necessarily equal "must be a good movie!" Remember Dreamcatcher!

Yeah! what the heck happened there?.

Goes to show even having actors the caliber of Morgan Freeman can't rescue a bad film.

herbertwest
09-25-2009, 12:13 AM
I really disagree : the first half is really good! Then it's sorted too quickly and it waste the movie... but..

Lilja have a trailer for the new Chidren of the Corn!