PDA

View Full Version : A philosophical question about gender equality and relationships in Gilead.

Silvermoth
12-19-2008, 08:32 PM
We all know Gunslingers have superb accuracy. So the big question is...

Is it as important to remember the leave the toilet seat up in Gilead as it is in our world?

Think about how many relationships could be saved by this fact.

Merry Christmas everyone

razz
12-20-2008, 08:32 PM
wooooww

that's actually a good question.
we never DO hear much about the hierarchy of Gilead.

Letti
12-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I think things worked in that world like they did in ours in around the Middle Ages.

jayson
12-21-2008, 11:08 AM
I think the bigger question is "are there toilet seats in Gilead?" :P

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 11:11 AM
:lol:

I was thinking the same thing.

LadyHitchhiker
12-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Weelllllll do you think Roland would like 1 ply or 2 ply?

jayson
12-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Weelllllll do you think Roland would like 1 ply or 2 ply?

As sacred as Roland thought paper was do you really think he would wipe his bottom with it?

LadyHitchhiker
12-21-2008, 11:21 AM
:wtf:

I never thought of that.... well he can't be running around with dingleberries. That's just disgusting...

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Letti was apt to point to the middle ages. There's a lot about Gilead that modernity would view as disgusting. King paints it with a majestic arthurian brush as many do, but in reality we would probably be revolted by it.

LadyHitchhiker
12-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Well they don't show any problem with Jakie, Susie Q or Eddie boy adjusting. Did one of them smuggle toilet paper?? :orely:

Letti
12-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Letti was apt to point to the middle ages. There's a lot about Gilead that modernity would view as disgusting. King paints it with a majestic arthurian brush as many do, but in reality we would probably be revolted by it.

And I am sure people from the Middle Ages would find lots of things disgusting in our world, too.

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 11:28 AM
None of them went to In World. And they were revolted with Lud.

jayson
12-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Well they don't show any problem with Jakie, Susie Q or Eddie boy adjusting. Did one of them smuggle toilet paper?? :orely:

Doesn't Eddie specifically say something about using leaves? I know Andy sneaks up on him crapping in the woods in the opening of WotC and mentions not wanting to use certain leaves to wipe his ass.

I agree with Ryan, the less we know about certain aspects of Roland's world, the better.

obscurejude
12-21-2008, 11:30 AM

And I am sure people from the Middle Ages would find lots of things disgusting in our world, too.

I was just making a point. I hate our world and have spent my whole academic career arguing for postmodernism and offering it as an alternative to the "this strange disease of modern life."*

*Mathew Arnold, Scholar Gypsy

Silvermoth
12-21-2008, 10:27 PM
So we can assume Gunslingers have no problem aiming in the bathroom. Next question is would Gilead just chuck their sewerage out the window.

Then again, we are forgetting that Gilead is at least partly magical and even occasionally technologically sophisticated so maybe they did have the technology to recycle sewerage before the world moved on

Jean
12-22-2008, 12:19 AM
I think the bigger question is "are there toilet seats in Gilead?" :P
I suspect there weren't, but the principle was the same: all women deemed worthy must have been trained as perfect gunslingers' spouses, so the virtue of always leaving the seat up was deeply ingrained in them. As Nikolett suggested, it was a traditional society.

Whitey Appleseed
12-22-2008, 06:02 AM
So we can assume Gunslingers have no problem aiming in the bathroom. Next question is would Gilead just chuck their sewerage out the window.

Then again, we are forgetting that Gilead is at least partly magical and even occasionally technologically sophisticated so maybe they did have the technology to recycle sewerage before the world moved on

Just finished a re-read, actually a first, of The Gunslinger original version...read the revised 3-4 times. But I thought I read that someone, maybe it was Kennerly, had a honey wagon. Yum! Reminds me of Petunia, the kaka sucker...maybe there's something in the Book of Good Farming about it?