PDA

View Full Version : Book Collection: carlosdetweiller

Pages : 1 2 [3]

carlosdetweiller
06-01-2016, 03:31 AM
I see you have some of Rachel's sculptures Bob - are you planning on getting a Crimson King? (and if so, where will you put it?... :evil:)

I have no idea where it could go. It is really large.

carlosdetweiller
06-01-2016, 07:13 AM
Are you still collecting other authors outwith Cronin, Bob? Koontz, Mcammon, Barker etc?

Sorry for the late reply. I am in the minority but I really didn't like The Passage all that much. As a result I do not collect Cronin or plan to read the later books. I still actively read and collect Robert McCammon and think that the Matthew Corbett books are some of the most enjoyable reading I have done in a long time. They are all very good but, IMO, Speaks The Nightbird is still the best one.

I haven't been able to finish a Barker book in years and quit trying quite a while ago. I think the last one I tried was Mister B. Gone but gave up after about 20 pages. I no longer collect him. I did like Coldheart Canyon though. Similarly I haven't picked up a Koontz book in several years but I still collect the Charnel House editions. I am thinking I might try Ashley Bell. I have heard good things about it.

Randall Flagg
06-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Amazing! What's the oblong shaped book/traycase between your Carrie and Barlow figurines, Bob?

The spot where I spend way too much time interacting with the riff raff from TDT.org

I'd give you positive rep for that, but I must "spread some more around".

idlewarnings
06-01-2016, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the tour of the basement, Bob. It's incredible.

The Library Policeman
06-02-2016, 04:03 AM
Are you still collecting other authors outwith Cronin, Bob? Koontz, Mcammon, Barker etc?

Sorry for the late reply. I am in the minority but I really didn't like The Passage all that much. As a result I do not collect Cronin or plan to read the later books. I still actively read and collect Robert McCammon and think that the Matthew Corbett books are some of the most enjoyable reading I have done in a long time. They are all very good but, IMO, Speaks The Nightbird is still the best one.

I haven't been able to finish a Barker book in years and quit trying quite a while ago. I think the last one I tried was Mister B. Gone but gave up after about 20 pages. I no longer collect him. I did like Coldheart Canyon though. Similarly I haven't picked up a Koontz book in several years but I still collect the Charnel House editions. I am thinking I might try Ashley Bell. I have heard good things about it.

I'm with you on Barker, Bob. I've tried a few over the years but never managed to finish one. I used to collect Koontz and those Charnel House books are beautiful. I mainly just collect King and James Herbert nowadays.

The Library Policeman
06-02-2016, 06:42 AM
Amazing! What's the oblong shaped book/traycase between your Carrie and Barlow figurines, Bob?

The spot where I spend way too much time interacting with the riff raff from TDT.org

I'd give you positive rep for that, but I must "spread some more around".

Ha! Now be quiet or I'll throw a haggis at you :P

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-02-2016, 08:55 AM

Oh man, i agree. The Corbett books are fantastic reading. Looking forward to sitting down and reading the new installment. I have also lost interest in collecting/reading Barker. Not sure what happened there as i really enjoyed the books of blood. As always, good stuff Bob :cool2:

jon10g
06-05-2016, 05:57 AM
Words do not do justice to this incredible collection! Thank you for sharing.

Ari_Racing
06-06-2016, 08:56 AM
I ran out of air. MY GOD!!!!!!

I'll never stop saying your collection is beyond anything I saw and your stories behind most of your items are even more valuable. Please never stop posting! :)

Ben Mears
06-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Words do not do justice to this incredible collection! Thank you for sharing.

+1

webstar1000
06-07-2016, 05:16 AM
I see you have some of Rachel's sculptures Bob - are you planning on getting a Crimson King? (and if so, where will you put it?... :evil:)

I had 19 reserved with Rach... and passed. I hope it goes to a member here. It was not the size that did it to me but the price.... it was alas, to much for me:(

carlosdetweiller
06-07-2016, 06:11 AM

I had 19 reserved with Rach... and passed. I hope it goes to a member here. It was not the size that did it to me but the price.... it was alas, to much for me:(

It is not me but I know for a fact that a member here is getting #19.

webstar1000
06-07-2016, 06:20 AM

It is not me but I know for a fact that a member here is getting #19.

I'm not surprised. I thought it would go here.... And be the first one to go. I'm not sad though. I made the right decision as the money it would have taken just wasn't there for that kind of an item. And whoever gets it will be thrilled no doubt:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlosdetweiller
06-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Sometime around April 10 I became aware of a nonfiction essay by King that was to be published in The Boston Globe newspaper. King doesn't like the new protective netting installed at Fenway Park and, as a season ticket holder whose seats are now behind the new netting, he makes his displeasure known. I think it was Bev that posted the notification but, again, if you want to read it online, here is the link. You can see it is plainly dated April 10, 2016.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2016/04/10/protective-netting-fenway-thanks-but-thanks/HS3Yat4rLgRGYMk83a26zN/story.html

I collect all the fiction and nonfiction King appearances I can so I wanted a copy of the 4/10/16 Boston Globe. It was a Sunday paper and was priced at $8.75 and I placed an order directly on the Boston Globe website on 4/22/16 using a credit card. It said to allow up to two weeks to receive the paper. After three weeks elapsed and no paper I called the Boston Globe Customer Service toll free number to see what was up. I was transferred at least three times but finally got someone who really wanted to help. I told her which paper I wanted and she put me on hold for several minutes. When she came back on she told me that that particular issue was completely sold out. I knew King nonfiction appearances don't usually cause a paper to sell out so I asked why that issue was sold out. She said "Oh, it's that Trump thing." I had no idea what she was talking about but she did apologize and credited the $8.75 back to my credit card.

So, now I'm worried and I take to eBay looking for a copy of the 4/10/16 Boston Globe. This is now around the middle of May. I soon found out what the fuss was all about. That paper had a parody section that dealt with a "President" Trump starting deportations of illegals as well as other things. Sort of a late April Fool's Day joke, I guess, and as you can see that section was dated incorrectly at 4/9/16 as part of the joke. Anyway it had become quite the collectible and that is the reason it was sold out. I found at least 10 sellers on eBay offering that section of the paper for sale but I wanted the whole paper, or at least the op-ed section. I didn't care at all about the Trump parody. I contacted several different sellers asking if they had the whole paper available and generally was told that the rest of the paper had been thrown away.

Here is the section:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/bostonglobe1_zpsw2b8xtta.jpg

This was starting to really look bad.

Finally I hit the jackpot and a seller replied that, yes, he did have the whole paper. So I bought it for the typical asking price of $15. A few days later it arrived and guess what? No King essay. Went through that damned Sunday paper at least three times page by page and the King essay was not to be found.

What now? I didn't know. I searched the internet for King's essay and found several responses to King's essay (blogs, other newspapers, etc.). In one the writer referred to King's essay as appearing in Monday's Boston Globe. This would be the 4/11/16 issue. Seriously Boston Globe? Your own website can't publish the correct date?

So.....back to the Globe website to order the 4/11/16 paper for $6.75 (but shipping is included!). It arrived yesterday and, lo and behold, the coveted essay is finally in my collection. Probably the hardest I have worked for a nonfiction essay in a long while.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/bostonglobe3_zpso0hvvpbk.jpg

Ari_Racing
06-07-2016, 01:26 PM
LOL! Loved the story behind! And of course I've just ordered one copy as well. Newspapers with King essays included are probably the most difficult items to find so I had to jump in immediately. THANKS FOR THE INFO!

peripheral
06-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Hahaaa. Great story Bob - a man on the hunt, and comes up Trump.

herbertwest
06-07-2016, 02:42 PM
The hunt is always part of the fun ;)

jreitan47
06-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Ordered one too. Thank you for the info and the story, Bob! Glad you finally got one after all that!

NoAttitudeThisTime
06-08-2016, 08:28 AM
I also like to collect King's nonfiction from newspapers and such. One that is difficult to obtain is the piece on John D. MacDonald in the January 10 2016 issue of Sarasota Herald-Tribune, as they (the paper) told me they don't ship to anyone, in or outside the US...the only way to get it is to personally show up in Sarasota...thankfully I know someone who can do just that.

jreitan47
06-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Bob - I'm always curious what's on your current want list. Are you willing to share?

Randall Flagg
06-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Bob - I'm always curious what's on your current want list. Are you willing to share?
Hah!

And let you (or someone else) steal it out from under him?

jreitan47
06-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Hah!

And let you (or someone else) steal it out from under him?

I'm assuming if it's something he hasn't found yet, either I can't afford it or he's going to get to it first as his want list is MUCH smaller than mine I'd imagine. ;)

carlosdetweiller
06-09-2016, 01:49 PM

There are some proofs that I would like....Carrie, in particular. And I need a few of the Maine Campus newspapers, particularly the Summer Campus editions that serialized "Slade." Original copies of "The Star Invaders" and "People, Places, Things" would be nice too. I'm getting up there in years and time is running out for me on finding these.

firemonkey66
11-04-2016, 05:47 AM
I love browsing through this thread. I always notice something new.

I also notice that Bob hasn't posted anywhere for a while. Is he on vacation or something? I hope you're somewhere tropical, Bob!

carlosdetweiller
11-06-2016, 11:39 AM

I also notice that Bob hasn't posted anywhere for a while. Is he on vacation or something? I hope you're somewhere tropical, Bob!

Just got home a few minutes ago from a vacation. My wife and I spent a couple of weeks touring China and Tibet. A wonderful trip but really glad to be back home.

stroppygoblin
11-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Welcome back Bob!

(Not even unpacked and he's checking in - thats dedication!)

firemonkey66
11-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Sounds like quite a trip! It must've been a culture shock there and back, in a good way. Welcome back!

becca69
11-07-2016, 09:39 AM

Just got home a few minutes ago from a vacation. My wife and I spent a couple of weeks touring China and Tibet. A wonderful trip but really glad to be back home.

Sounds amazing but did you pick up any Chinese SK editions??

dnemec
11-07-2016, 10:16 AM

Sounds amazing but did you pick up any Chinese SK editions??

I was thinking the same thing!!!

Geminii23
11-07-2016, 06:07 PM
OMG! I am inspired and traumatized at the same time. This collection is just Amazing! I officially am now suffering from book envy and don't think I will be posting any photos of my inferior collection at this point. lol

peripheral
11-07-2016, 06:37 PM
OMG! I am inspired and traumatized at the same time. This collection is just Amazing! I officially am now suffering from book envy and don't think I will be posting any photos of my inferior collection at this point. lol

Ahhh, I see you've found Bob's collection thread... :)

Geminii23
11-07-2016, 06:42 PM

Ahhh, I see you've found Bob's collection thread... :)

Oh YEAH! Holy smokes. I think I started collecting way too late in life. No hope of ever attaining such glory. Unless I win the lottery one day and can just buy his house with everything in that basement included. hahaha

firemonkey66
11-17-2016, 06:55 AM
Annnnd it's gone. I'm glad I was randomly looking through here recently. I didn't know it would be the last time.

This collection thread without all the pictures is kind of eerie in a way. It's like going to a museum you've been to before, but all the artwork is gone, just the frames are hanging on the walls. I hope Bob comes back someday. He will be sorely missed.

becca69
11-17-2016, 07:37 AM
I hope you decide to come back (I would put a sad face here but I know you don't like emoticons).