PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Jam

sarah
12-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I don't know about you but I was 16 when Ten was released. I absolutely fell in love with Pearl Jam. In fact this was the first concert I went to. I was 16 and it was May of 1992 and Pearl Jam put on a free concert right behind KU stadium. It was eyeopening. I was in the mosh pit (remember those :lol:) and I was ten feet away from Eddie Vedder. Pretty cool, eh? ;)

anyways, I read today on EW.com that they are releasing Ten again in March.

so cool. Pearl Jam to remaster, remix, and reissue 'Ten (http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/12/pearl-jam-to-re.html)

SigTauGimp
12-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Really? That's friggin' awesome!
I remember listening to them nearly every day back in high school.
Ten was SUCH a great album.

Django
12-11-2008, 01:35 AM
I didn't care much for them up until "Yield". I pay close attention to what they have done since. Seen them live on their tour in late 2006. They were fantastic.

turtlex
12-11-2008, 03:58 AM
I am a Pearl Jam freak !!

I saw them live for the first time a couple of years ago, in Philly. Unfortunately, I was kind of having an asthma attack at the time ( middle of summer, very hot ) but I still loved it.

This is such cool news.

Maer, did you see the cool picture over at the ten club?

I will soooooo be getting this :

http://secure.pearljam.com/images/store/products/1010-SDx.jpg

It's the SUPER DELUXE edition. $140 with free shipping - available from the ten club ( you must be a member ) ... includes all this cool stuff :

Super Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD, 4 LPs and replica cassette in linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box):
· Disc 1: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered (original mix)
· Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
· DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix
· LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
· LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien
· LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park – Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O’Brien)
· Cassette: replica of original “Momma-Son” Pearl Jam demo cassette featuring “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps”
· Package also includes an Eddie Vedder-style composition notebook filled with replica personal notes, images and mementos from the collections of Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with replicated era-specific ephemera from Pearl Jam’s early work and a two-sided print commemorating the Drop in the Park concert.

Plus - random sets will be autographed by members of Pearl Jam !

jayson
12-11-2008, 05:49 AM
I too love Pearl Jam.

I saw them for the first time in 1991 (it may have been 92, my memories of my early 20's are a little hazy and hard to get in chronological order). Either way, my friends and I went to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers at Roseland Ballroom in NY and this band Pearl Jam that none of us had heard of was opening for them. When their set was done, very few people wanted them to leave the stage. All we could talk about for weeks was how freakin' good that band was.

In the years since I have long since forgotten what it was I ever liked about RHCP in the first place, but I have never lost a bit of my love for Pearl Jam. If anything, I love them more than ever. Their many imitators come and go, but PJ remains solid.

turtlex
12-11-2008, 05:54 AM
I too love Pearl Jam.

..... All we could talk about for weeks was how freakin' good that band was.

In the years since I have long since forgotten what it was I ever liked about RHCP in the first place, but I have never lost a bit of my love for Pearl Jam. If anything, I love them more than ever. Their many imitators come and go, but PJ remains solid.

Another fine example of why you are my spectrometer!

I have tons of their bootlegs and just love them. Also, Eddie's soundtrack to Into The Wild.... outstanding!

I'm really looking forward to this new release in 2009!

Django
12-11-2008, 06:15 AM
Also, Eddie's soundtrack to Into The Wild.... outstanding!

I second that. I'd really like to see him do a solo album sometime soon.

jayson
12-11-2008, 06:49 AM
I have tons of their bootlegs and just love them.

Same here, probably a few too many to be honest. One of the the things that makes them special is how great they are live. There are bands that suck live. There are bands that are just ok live, in that they do their best to sound more or less like they do on their albums. Then there are bands that excel at playing live. Pearl Jam is one of them. As good as they are in the studio, their live sound blows that away.

They also understand that when you have a live audience made up of a large percentage that follow you around the country and sees multiple shows that the band needs to mix things up from night to night and not just play essentially the same show in every city. This comes down to more than shuffling the setlist as well. It's more about not playing the same songs in the same way every night. Now, they are not quite as obsessed with doing this as The Grateful Dead or Phish, but they do a pretty good job of it.

turtlex
12-11-2008, 07:02 AM
I'm with you owning maybe too many boots, but I can't help it. I just love them. I have the entire last tour. Every show.

They do sound amazing live, though.

And I couldn't agree more about them mixing things up and even bringing in songs from other artists ( rockin' in the free world ).

Have you ever checked out their website - it is great. There's a set list that you can sort by song, last time performed, first time performed, etc.

I am a member of the fan club, so plan on hitting at least one live show the next time around ( fan club gets first grab at tickets ).

ETA : Oh, you changed your sig picture!

jayson
12-11-2008, 07:22 AM
I have the entire last tour. Every show.

Ok, I don't feel so alone anymore as I do too. :)

And I couldn't agree more about them mixing things up and even bringing in songs from other artists ( rockin' in the free world ).

It's another thing that they do well (like the other bands I mentioned). You never really know what song they are going to do from one minute to the next because any song from any band is in play. The Neil Young covers are always good, but when they blow me away is when they do the MC5's "Kick Out the Jams". Nothing quite has the raw power of the original, but of all the bands I've heard cover it, and there are many, PJ does it a lot better than most.

Have you ever checked out their website - it is great. There's a set list that you can sort by song, last time performed, first time performed, etc.

I have, and it is. It's a great resource.

ETA : Oh, you changed your sig picture!

I did. I'm playing a lot these days (more time with no job) which always leads me to listening to a lot of Ribot.

turtlex
12-11-2008, 07:43 AM
I've got on the boot from Poland in 2000 and I just so dig PJ live !!!

I wish I had more of the older PJ boots, but every now and then I pick a "new" older one up at amazon.

Gosh, I wish I could play guitar. I own an Ovation Trekker, but just can't play at all. Of course, I can't read music either.

ETA: I think "Live At Benaroya Hall" might be my favorite PJ ever.

jayson
12-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Gosh, I wish I could play guitar. I own an Ovation Trekker, but just can't play at all. Of course, I can't read music either.

Try again. You never know when it will take. If I can teach myself to play, anybody can. I can't believe that next month it will be 9 years since I started playing. I wish I had a recording of all the times I said "I'll never be able to (Insert Technique Here)" for things I do now without thinking. Persistence really does pay off.

It's someplace I've started a few people who have never heard any live PJ before. It always hooks them.

turtlex
12-11-2008, 07:59 AM

Try again. You never know when it will take. If I can teach myself to play, anybody can. I can't believe that next month it will be 9 years since I started playing. I wish I had a recording of all the times I said "I'll never be able to (Insert Technique Here)" for things I do now without thinking. Persistence really does pay off.

It's someplace I've started a few people who have never heard any live PJ before. It always hooks them.

I'm pretty good at guitar hero! Not so sure about the real guitar though. I've tried again and again, and just can't seem to get a hang of it. Maybe in the new year.

jayson
12-11-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm pretty good at guitar hero! Not so sure about the real guitar though. I've tried again and again, and just can't seem to get a hang of it. Maybe in the new year.

:lol: I'm pretty sure there's no correlation there. Try the real thing again in the New Year. Maybe a different approach is what you need. The first month or two that I was learning I wanted to quit every day because it seemed pointless. Then I put some of the chords that I learned together and realized I could play a few Neil Young songs. I've been obsessed with the instrument ever since.

turtlex
12-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey, I beat Slash in Guitar Hero, mister !!! :D

Will give it a shot, for sure ! Thanks for the encouragement.

jayson
12-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Hey, I beat Slash in Guitar Hero, mister !!! :D

Not sure how much of an accomplishment that is in virtual or real guitar-playing. :P

Thanks for the encouragement.

Not to sound like a Burt Bacarach song, but that's what friends are for. :)

obscurejude
12-11-2008, 09:43 AM

This is excellent advice Jayson. Fingerpicking is something I never thought I could do and now I seldom do anything else. If you told me I'd be able to travis pick when I first started I would have said you were crazy.

You can do it Tutlex. :thumbsup: By the way, if you can beat Slash on guitar hero, you definitely have the dexterity to play a real guitar.

About Pearl Jam. I have a lot of respect for them as a band, particularly their public stance against Ticket Master. That being said, I'm not a huge fan, and I think its because of all the imposters that I don't like that deep baritone rock voice. I was also at my adolescent peak when grunge ruled the world, and I think I got sick of it very fast and this has hindered me from experiencing Pearl Jam's newer stuff as well as reliving the older music.

jayson
12-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Fingerpicking is something I never thought I could do and now I seldom do anything else. If you told me I'd be able to travis pick when I first started I would have said you were crazy.

I feel the same way about vibrato and note bending. When I first started playing individual notes as opposed to chords I was just glad to hit the one I meant to hit. Thinking about ways to play with the intonation of that note were not something I ever thought I would be able to do. Now it comes so naturally I don't even realize I'm doing it half the time.

obscurejude
12-11-2008, 09:55 AM
You get to a point where the guitar becomes an extension of yourself. Like playing with a wah wah pedal and never looking down. It seems that I woke up one morning and was able to play barre chords, solo, and finger pick. It took awhile, but you're right, persistence is rewarded handsomely when it comes to musical instruments.

jayson
12-11-2008, 10:00 AM
I also think that the more someone loves and understands music in general, the more likely it is that they will eventually be able to get something rewarding out of playing it, which brings us back to Turtlex who is definitely a music lover.

Oh, and one last note on this subject Turtlex, you mentioned not being able to read music. Don't let that affect you one bit. Hendrix couldn't read a single note of sheet music either, but he seemed to figure out what he was doing without much trouble. :)

turtlex
12-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Oh, and one last note on this subject Turtlex, you mentioned not being able to read music. Don't let that affect you one bit. Hendrix couldn't read a single note of sheet music either, but he seemed to figure out what he was doing without much trouble. :)

Okay, so, um, how long 'til I'm as good as he was?!?

Honestly, I'd be happy with being able to play some PJ.

jayson
12-11-2008, 10:33 AM
:lol: When I get there myself I'll let you know.

turtlex
12-11-2008, 11:17 AM
I pre-ordered this :

http://secure.pearljam.com/images/store/products/1010-SDx.jpg

Arthur Heath
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I think one of the better unknown PJ (as far as radio play) is Riot Act. Great album.

Fall of Gilead
12-11-2008, 06:31 PM
I was not really a fan of PJ until about 4 years ago. I knew there were a couple songs on Ten I liked so finally got it, and never looked back. Have about 13 of their shows on CD and always on the lookout for more. My fave show is probably State College, Pennsylvania 5/3/03. Fave song is Black.

turtlex
12-12-2008, 03:06 AM
I was not really a fan of PJ until about 4 years ago. I knew there were a couple songs on Ten I liked so finally got it, and never looked back. Have about 13 of their shows on CD and always on the lookout for more. My fave show is probably State College, Pennsylvania 5/3/03. Fave song is Black.

I have State College as well, and it's a great show!

Fall of Gilead
12-12-2008, 08:28 AM
I like the "thanks for the music, please fuck me Eddie" bit.
I think back on .net I made a thread confessing my PJ fandom. My only regret is not seeing the light until it was too late to go hog wild on the 2000 concert series while they were readily available.

turtlex
12-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Finding the older ones are not impossible, though.

Every now and then, I pick them up on Amazon, if you can imagine. Usually they're flagged as "used" or "collectible" and they're typically affordable ( under 20 bucks ).

It's how I grow my collection ( yeah, as if I need more Pearl Jam ).

Fall of Gilead
12-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I know what you mean, I don't care if they play Evenflow and Given to Fly every show, I WANT MORE!

sarah
12-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I've seen them live three times and I can say that they are freakin' awesome in concert. They appreciate their fans and put on a great show.

turtlex
12-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Maer - When did you see them? Which tours?

Fall of Gilead
12-12-2008, 03:36 PM
*jealous werebat*

sarah
12-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Maer - When did you see them? Which tours?

Lets see, I saw them in may of 1992 behind KU stadium. I saw them in 1994 in SLC, and the last time I saw them was in Seattle in either late 1998 or early 1999. I was so close to seeing them in Las Vegas in 2002 but it didn't work out.

My concert days are on hold now that the kids are so young. I've probably only been to three or four shows since 2002.

turtlex
12-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Wow, you've been seeing them since the "beginning" and such diverse locations. I am very envious!

Um, you should bring the kiddies!

Tank
12-14-2008, 10:02 PM
I remember hearing Alive on the radio in late '91 one morning while getting ready for school and having the hair stand up on my arms. I thought to myself "Finally, a band that brings the rock". I never was into the hair metal scene and having started playing guitar in '89 I was pretty much surrounded by nothing but hair farmers. I had to search high and low to find bands that I could get into back then and it felt like Pearl Jam were just dropped into my lap by some higher power.

The best part of being a fan of them back then, at least it's funny in hindsight, was trying to turn my snot nosed friends onto them. Most of them were listening to hip hop, Metallica's black album or Nirvana. I'd tell them to check out this band named Pearl Jam and they'd give me the gas face and say "That's a stupid fucking name for a band" and refuse to even listen to the tape. Of course by the same time next year most of those friends were rocking out to PJ and wearing flannel.

<_<

turtlex
12-15-2008, 03:25 AM
I will say I spent some time running around the net this weekend, looking for bootlegs that I don't have.

Um, who knew there were so many?!? From 2000 there are 72. And that's just from 2000. Good to know I will always have something to collect regarding Pearl Jam, cause there's no way I am ever going to get ALL these boots!

And welcome to the site, Tank!

Fall of Gilead
12-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Hey Tank, glad to see another PJ fan!

Right, Turtlex, the complete 2000 tour was released. As well the total 2003 tour was released but only about 10 shows were retail, the rest internet only. I plan to check some out myself, I get the funds.

Dave!
12-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Oh yeah. Fellow PJ and grunge fans! Love it! Been a PJ fan since the beginning. A huge one! 16-17 yrs old when it all began, and remember what it was like when Pj came on the scene with TEN. Even flow, Jeremy, and Once were all over the radio. Got the tape (no CD's yet in my collection) and found the other songs not on the irwave rotation and was hooked. Me and the guys used to get together every weekend and play all the cool stuff from back when. PJ, Alice in chains, Soundgarden, Extreme, RHCP, and then Temple of the Dog came out. Holy shit it was great! Lots of Chris Cornell in it, and needed more Vedder for sure, but it was still awesome. Those were the best days of my life back then... We even saw them live several times, and remember going to see Metallica tour with this unknown band named Candlebox opening. Probably one of the loudest and best shows I've been to. Lollapalooza was always a blast as well. Only got to go to one, though. Wanted to go see the Screaming Trees, Sponge, and several of the others one year but didn't get to. Ahhh I could reminice all day.:grouphug:

turtlex
12-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Dave, welcome! Did you see that they are re-issuing TEN with a super deluxe version?

I can't wait to get mine! .... though I notice they've changed the photo of the whole package over at the tenclub. Hmmmmm.

Dave!
12-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Not until I read it on here. Someone up there mentioned Given to fly. I got chills the first time I heard that one. Release had the same effect. This is awesome! Do you know how many other people out there my age range (30-38 yr olds, mostly) didn't really get into it back then? It is actually hard to find someone that knows a song by them when I mention the name. It is much the same reaction when I mention LIVE, Counting Crows, Blind Melon, or a lot of them. I get a lot of blank stares. usually I'll play a song by one of them and then there is a spark of recognition. "Oh yeah! I remember that song. Didn't know Pearl Jam did that. I thought it was Creed or something like that." :wtf:
Yeah. Anyways, listening to STP now, the Tiny Music Cd. Anyways, guess I'm digressing again down memory lane...

Fall of Gilead
12-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Totally. Back in the day, except for a couple Ten songs, I hated them. Then about five years ago I took a chance on them and glad I did.

obscurejude
12-16-2008, 10:59 PM
I think PJ is very talented, but like I said the imposters have turned me off. There's just too many of them and its a shame. I feel similarly about Nirvana too, but I also acknowledge them as the real deal.

I might just have to pick up the re issue of Ten and see if I can get into it this time around.

turtlex
12-17-2008, 02:02 AM
I know what you mean about "imposters" - I remember the first time I heard "Hunger Strike"... I was like "now who's trying to be Pearl Jam"..... Ha !

( FYI : Hunger Strike was Eddie Vedder performing with Temple of the Dog )

Brice
12-17-2008, 02:52 AM
I know what you mean about "imposters" - I remember the first time I heard "Hunger Strike"... I was like "now who's trying to be Pearl Jam"..... Ha !

( FYI : Hunger Strike was Eddie Vedder performing with Temple of the Dog )

I still have that on vinyl. :)

You're not saying Temple Of The Dog was trying to be Pearl Jam, are you?

turtlex
12-17-2008, 03:04 AM
No! Not at all. I'm saying that because of all the "wannabe" bands, I was mistaking Eddie himself for an imposter !

"Hunger Strike" is one of my all time favorite songs! Love it.

Brice
12-17-2008, 03:26 AM
No! Not at all. I'm saying that because of all the "wannabe" bands, I was mistaking Eddie himself for an imposter !

:rofl:

Tank
12-17-2008, 08:38 AM
That deluxe reissue looks sweet, but I'm wondering why they didn't include Dirty Frank in the extras? I used to have the import Ten and that and Wash were my favorite bonus tracks.

:orely:

I'm really excited to hear what Brendan O’Brien does with the remix of the album. I've read over the years that the band wasn't thrilled with the final mix on Ten because the record company basically drowned the whole thing in that horrible 80's digital reverb. If you listen to the rest of their studio albums they are much, much more dry mix-wise.

turtlex
12-17-2008, 09:26 AM
This is the current description of the Re-Issue :

Remaster of original Ten album + remix by producer Brendan O’Brien •
DVD of previously unreleased 1992 Pearl Jam MTV Unplugged performance with 5.1 surround sound audio remix • LP of the band’s 1992 “Drop in the Park” concert • Replica of Pearl Jam three-song demo cassette with Eddie Vedder’s original vocal dubs • Recreation of Eddie Vedder composition notebook • Never before seen memorabilia • Bonus tracks and more.

Ten, the debut album that sold 12 million copies and introduced the world to Pearl Jam in 1991, will be reissued in four (4) new and expanded editions. Pre-orders of the Super Deluxe Edition begin today, through the Ten Club at PearlJam.com. All four editions will be available for purchase on March 24, 2009. The reissue of Ten serves as the launch of a planned two-year catalogue re-release campaign leading up to the band’s 20th anniversary in 2011.

Each Ten package will include two versions of the album: the remastered version of the original album PLUS an accompanying remixed version done by the band’s long-time producer, Brendan O’Brien (Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, Audioslave). Details on specific extras for each of the four packages are listed below.

“The band loved the original mix of Ten, but were also interested in what it would sound like if I were to deconstruct and remix it,” says producer Brendan O’Brien. “The original Ten sound is what millions of people bought, dug and loved, so I was initially hesitant to mess around with that. After years of persistent nudging from the band, I was able to wrap my head around the idea of offering it as a companion piece to the original – giving a fresh take on it, a more direct sound.”

TEN RE-DESIGN
Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament, who served as the art director for the original Ten packaging, reprised his role for the reissues collaborating with designer, Andy Fischer, of Cameron Crowe’s Vinyl Films (Into the Wild soundtrack LP, Vanilla Sky soundtrack LP, Harold and Maude anniversary edition soundtrack LP).

"The goal was to assemble the ultimate fan-piece,” explains Fischer. “Something Pearl Jam lovers could pore over as they experience an indelible record all over again, in an entirely new way."

“The original concept was about really being together as a group and entering into the world of music as a true band...a sort of all-for-one deal,” says Jeff Ament. “There were some elements of the original Ten artwork that didn't turn out the way we had hoped, due to time constraints. With this reissue, we’ve been able to take our time and invest resources into making the design the way we had originally intended.”

REPLICA OF PEARL JAM 3-SONG DEMO CASSETTE IN SUPER DELUXE EDITION
In the process of digging through his archives for this project, Ament came across an old cassette marked “Momma-Son” – the fabled original Pearl Jam demo tape featuring the first recorded versions of “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps.” Ament and guitarists Stone Gossard and Mike McCready had recorded instrumental tracks of these songs to help solicit a singer for their newly formed band. Mutual friend - and then Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer - Jack Irons suggested they send the tape down to San Diego surfer and little-known singer Eddie Vedder.

Completely inspired by what he heard from these musicians that he then only knew by name, Vedder quickly wrote lyrics, put these vocals to the music tracks and shipped the tape back to Seattle. Upon hearing how Vedder had transformed the songs, Ament, Gossard and McCready asked him to come up to Seattle so they could meet and have an official “tryout” together. Shortly thereafter, Pearl Jam was born. (A replica of the “Momma-Son” cassette will be included in the Super Deluxe Edition of Ten.)

THE FOUR EDITIONS OF TEN: ALBUM EXTRAS PER PACKAGE

1. Legacy Edition (2-disc set in mini-LP style slipcase):
· Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
· Re-designed packaging

2. Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD specially designed hardbound package):
· DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix

3. Vinyl Collection (2-LP set)
· LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien

4. Super Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD, 4 LPs and replica cassette in linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box):
· LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park – Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O’Brien)
· Cassette: replica of original “Momma-Son” Pearl Jam demo cassette featuring “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps”
· Package also includes an Eddie Vedder-style composition notebook filled with replica personal notes, images and mementos from the collections of Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with replicated era-specific ephemera from Pearl Jam’s early work and a two-sided print commemorating the Drop in the Park concert.

I think it's going to be sweet. Like I said, I've already pre-ordered my Super Deluxe Version from the tenclub.

blg
12-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Huge Pearl Jam fan here also. I saw them live for the first time in 1992 and have since seen them about 40 times. I actually met my wife while following the band around on tour for a few weeks in 2000. I also got lucky in that my wife joined the fanclub in 1993 and up until this most recent tour, she was always able to get front row.

I think PJ's best albums are Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield...their worst album is definitely Riot Act. I also got into the live show trading/taping thing for a while and one point had nearly every taped show through 2003. I've since lost interest in the hobby have either given away or put most of it in storage.

I think I've become a little disenchanted and/or bored with their most recent music and tour policies. PJ's website is a joke and always crashes whenever they put tickets onsale. For the life of me, I don't understand why they don't invest in more server capacity. Also not a fan of whatever entity now runs the Ten Club. However, with that being said, I'll probably have to buy the reissue of Ten just for old time's sake. :)

turtlex
12-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Last tour, I got my tickets through the tenclub and had no problem at all. Maybe they've addressed the prevous issues?!?

jayson
12-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Having only seen them the once in the early 90's I never had to deal with getting tickets through their site or from ticketbastard (we got ours at the venue box office). That said, I admire bands like Pearl Jam who make the attempt to bypass ticketbastard and other like-minded corporations who jack up ticket prices for no other reason than profit. Radiohead attempts much the same thing (at least with a portion of the tickets) and I've not had a problem getting tickets through the fan club site for them and avoiding the ludicrous surcharges.

turtlex
12-18-2008, 03:31 AM
I have to agree with Jayson ( plus, you know, he's my spectrometer ) regarding bands that go the extra steps to help the fans. Ticketmaster is rediculous with their fees and charges. I'm all for any band that steps up and says "enough".

blg
12-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Agree. Radiohead's system worked because they would never say specifically what time tix would go on sale, only that it would happen on a certain day. I had no problem getting tickets until 2008 when I started trying the second the onsale happened and was completely shut out after trying for 3 hours.

Pearl Jam was another story. I actually preferred the old days where you would send in a money order with your ticket order form to now where the site crashes. 2006 was the first time PJ sold concert tickets through their website and I had no problem getting tix for all my shows. However last year with Ed's solo tour, the website crashed as I was trying to check out and I not only was I shut out, but I had charges pending on my check card for a week before they came off.

The other thing I would add is you are not bypassing Ticketbastard charges when buying direct from PJ, they are still added onto the ticket price. PJ is reserving all the best seats for their fans (even better), so ticketbastard doesn't hold them back and then sell them on Ticketsnow (a ticket broker site), which it conveniently purchased last year.

jayson
12-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Agree. Radiohead's system worked because they would never say specifically what time tix would go on sale, only that it would happen on a certain day. I had no problem getting tickets until 2008 when I started trying the second the onsale happened and was completely shut out after trying for 3 hours.

I got mine within 5 seconds of the onsale starting in 2008 and 2003. I got lucky I suppose.

I know what you are saying about the mail-order as opposed to internet order. It's how I used to get my Dead and Phish tickets back in the day and the system was as smooth as silk.

blg
12-18-2008, 10:39 AM

I got mine within 5 seconds of the onsale starting in 2008 and 2003. I got lucky I suppose.

I know what you are saying about the mail-order as opposed to internet order. It's how I used to get my Dead and Phish tickets back in the day and the system was as smooth as silk.

I think you did get lucky for 2008. :) I even had 3 other people trying to help me and still failed to get Hollywood Bowl tix. I managed to get a pair during the Ticketmaster onsale, but the seats sucked.

I had good luck with WASTE in 2003. I slept through the onsale in 2006, but a kind person sold me single tickets to both LA Greek shows for face value. 2001 was through TM.

I saw the Dead once back in 1991 and even though Jerry didn't seem to be in very good form, I'm glad i made it to the show. My only attempt to see Phish was in 1993, but my car broke down and we missed the show.

turtlex
12-18-2008, 11:10 AM
... My only attempt to see Phish was in 1993, but my car broke down and we missed the show.

Phish in 1993... Oh, they're a jam band... they're probably still on stage. You might want to check it out, you could still catch the encore.

jayson
12-18-2008, 11:31 AM
... My only attempt to see Phish was in 1993, but my car broke down and we missed the show.

I saw my first Phish show in 92. Too bad you didn't get to see them in 93, it was a great year for Phish shows.

Phish in 1993... Oh, they're a jam band... they're probably still on stage. You might want to check it out, you could still catch the encore.

As funny as that is, and it is kinda funny, I must say that the New Year's Eve 1999/2000 show was among the single most spectacular shows by any band that I've ever seen. There are very few bands, jam band or otherwise, that could take the stage at midnight and not stop playing until sunrise (just over 7.5 hours later) and manage to keep it entertaining. That set was a hell of a lot more than the pointless noodling of many of Phish's imitators (of which there are so so many). Truth be told, as much as I've soured of them since they reformed after the hiatus, Phish pre-2002 was among the most innovative and adventurous bands you could hope to see live. They did things not a whole lot of other bands would even attempt let alone pull off.

Fall of Gilead
12-19-2008, 08:21 AM
With Maer's OK, and an attempt to help out anyone on the lookout for these I will post the PJ shows I have on CD along with some short notes.Turtlex, or anyone else that may have some are welcome to post theirs too. I'll start with the first chronological show I have, with more to come later.

Hallenstadion, Zurich, Switzerland 23/6/00

Of the Girl, Corduroy, Breakerfall, Grievance, Hail Hail, Animal, Dissident, Nothing as it Seems, Alive, Thin Air, Light Years, Untitled, MFC, Habit, Wishlist, Off He Goes, Sleight of Hand, Insignifigance, RVM, Porch, Brain of J, Given to Fly, Do the Evolution, Betterman, Nothingman, Leatherman, Leaving Here, Soon Forget, Yellow Ledbetter

-Not a very good show. The crowd is almost unresposive (about four or five songs in, Eddie asks for the lights to be turned on so he can confirm that there's an audience there), they mess up Nothing as it. Seems (Eddie gets a couple good jokes out of it however), the band just never seems to hit their stride.

-A rare show they don't play Evenflow.

-They play the complete trilogy, also pretty rare.

My score: 5.5/10

Fall of Gilead
12-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Las Vegas, Nevada 10/22/00

Interstellar Overdrive, Corduroy, Breakerfall, Grievance, Last Exit, Animal, Dissident, Nothing as it Seems, Given to Fly, Wishlist, Untitled, MFC, Evenflow, Jeremy, Insignificance, Betterman, Lukin, RVM, Do the Evolution, Once, Crown of Thorns, Black, Can't Help Falling in Love, Small Town, Mankind, Last Kiss, Porch, Baba O' Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

-This is the tenth anniversary or their very first show.

-They start off with a snippet of a Pink Floyd tune.

-Before Evenflow, Eddie talks about the first demo he did with Jeff and Stone, then later in the show thanks a whole list of people by name.

-The first time they played Crown of Thorns.

-The second and last time they played Can't Help Falling on this tour. "Just due to geographical location".

-Brenden O' Brien played keyboard on Crown of Thorns, Black, and Can't Help Falling.

My score: 9/10

sarah
12-19-2008, 09:05 AM
wow! Looks great FoG. Thanks for posting that.

Of the three Pearl Jam shows I went to they closed with Yellow Ledbetter twice and played evenflow at all three. The first show I went to Eddie jumped into the mosh pit was passed around. It was f'n cool.

I saw Phish in Cincinnati in December of 1999 and it was one of the best shows I've ever been too. They did two nights there and we went to both shows. It was one of the highlights of my concert goings.

jayson
12-19-2008, 09:17 AM
I saw Phish in Cincinnati in December of 1999 and it was one of the best shows I've ever been too. They did two nights there and we went to both shows. It was one of the highlights of my concert goings.

You got a treat that second night in Cincy with a rare live performance of "The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday". I saw that song played a bunch, but that was way early in the 90's when it was still played somewhat regularly. By '99 it was a rarity. That whole second fall '99 run of shows was pretty solid. I saw two somewhat disappointing shows in July of '99 but summer tour was never as solid as fall tour was.

Ok, back to Pearl Jam...

Fall of Gilead
12-19-2008, 09:46 AM
San Diego, California 10/25/00

Long Road, Breakerfall, Corduroy, Whipping, God's Dice, Animal, Given to Fly, Evenflow, Wishlist, RVM, Rival, Jeremy, Pilate, MFC, Daughter, Soon Forget, Immortality, Insignificance, Go, Don't be Shy, In My Tree, State of Love and Trust, Once, Small Town, Black, Parting Ways, Yellow Ledbetter

-A pretty standard show with a nice mix of songs.

-Eddie and Matt return to where they grew up. Eddie recalls going to the Sports Arena years before to see shows.

-Eddie adds some lyrics onto the Daughter jam. Not sure if it's another song or if he made them up on the spot.

My score: 7/10

Fall of Gilead
12-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Perth, Austrailia 2/23/03

Long Road, Save You, God's Dice, Corduroy, Given to Fly, Evenflow, Get Right, Cropduster, Jeremy, Small Town, I Am Mine, Love Boat Captain, MFC, Improv, Habit, You Are, Wishlist, 1/2 Full, Insignificance, Go, Do the Evolution, Betterman, Daughter, Crazy Mary, Throw Your Arms Around Me, Alive, Fortunate Son

-A run of the mill show for being the last Aussie show that tour. Two short jams and an improv is all they did special.

-Mark Seymour, who wrote Throw Your Arms, appears on stage to play the song with the band.

-Yellow Ledbetter is nowhere to be seen!

My score: 6/10

blg
12-19-2008, 10:53 AM
If you are looking for info on past Pearl Jam shows:

http://www.twofeetthick.com/tft/cc.action;jsessionid=89E7A32459D22E06EC70A1D4E456C 234

This site took over the concert chronology that Fivehorizons.com started in 1996.

For me, PJ's prime was 1993-1998, with 1994 being their best tour. I still enjoy going to shows now, but it's definitely not the same as it was.

Even though I didn't enjoy the 2003 tour all that much, I would suggest checking out the 3 night stand the band did in Boston on 07/02, 07/03, and 07/11/03. They played something like 95 different songs with only one repeat over the course of the 3 shows.

Tank
12-19-2008, 12:07 PM
I had tickets to see PJ back in '92 when they were touring with the Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins, but I ended up grounded and wasn't able to go.

:angry:

It took me until '03 to see them. I found the set list from that night on their site:

Jun 25, 2003
Set 1

* Animal
* Gods' Dice
* Rival
* Save You
* Glorified G
* Breath
* I Am Mine
* Love Boat Captain
* Even Flow
* Help Help
* Nothing As it Seems
* Given To Fly
* Lukin
* Corduroy
* Daughter(W.M.A.)
* Evacuation
* Rearviewmirror

Encore 1

* Crazy Mary
* I Believe In Miracles
* Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
* Bu$hleaguer
* Do The Evolution

Encore 2

* Soon Forget
* Baba O'Riley
* Yellow Ledbetter

The one song I really wanted them to play was Alive and of course they didn't. A friend of mine went the next night and they played not only that, but Black and Rockin' In The Free World.

:pullhair:

turtlex
12-19-2008, 12:52 PM
tank - that still looks like a pretty good set to me !

Tank
12-19-2008, 01:02 PM
No doubt turtlex. I guess I was mostly bummed that I passed on going to the next show after hearing that set list, but I was low on funds at the time so...

http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/idn_smilie.gif

turtlex
12-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Ouch, yes, the "low on funds" deal.
I have that a lot !! I feel your pain.

I wish I could have seen PJ more and I hope to the next tour. I was majorly bummed at missing Ed on a solo tour - especially since the Into The Wild soundtrack is probably one of my favorite all time albums. I just really dig it.

turtlex
01-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Just got the PJ bootleg show from 02/23/2003, Perth Austrailia... I haven't listened to it all yet, but so far, the first disc and a couple from the second - this is a great show! Quickly climbing up my favorites list.

ETA : I've been hunting around on ebay and amazon for bootlegs, so every now and then I treat myself... as the credit card allows, of course!

jayson
01-06-2009, 04:53 AM
I just (well last night) found a copy of Eddie playing with the band C-Average as the opening act for The Who in November of 1999. I haven't listened to it yet, but it's scheduled for later today (after the Syd Barrett tribute ends). I'm especially looking forward to a cover of Talking Heads' Love-->Building On Fire.

turtlex
01-06-2009, 05:17 AM
Awesome!
Please post and let us know how it is.

jayson
01-06-2009, 05:25 AM
You know I will. :)

blg
01-06-2009, 07:23 AM
I just (well last night) found a copy of Eddie playing with the band C-Average as the opening act for The Who in November of 1999. I haven't listened to it yet, but it's scheduled for later today (after the Syd Barrett tribute ends). I'm especially looking forward to a cover of Talking Heads' Love-->Building On Fire.

The shows were pretty cool and depending on what version you have, the sound quality is good.

Ed played with C Avg a handful of other times in '99, including the Tibetan Freedom Concert and a benefit show at the Palladium in Hollywood with Perry Farrell, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and others. My wife was one of the lucky ones who saw the Palladium show.

turtlex
01-06-2009, 07:48 AM
I was just doing a search at EIL and they have sooooo many cool PJ bootlegs, if only I were independently wealthy... or, you know, weathly at all.

jayson
01-06-2009, 08:05 AM
The shows were pretty cool and depending on what version you have, the sound quality is good.

I'm looking forward to listening to it. If the quality of the Talking Heads cover is good, it'll be a worthwhile acquisition. It's one of my fav TH songs so I'm intrigued to hear Vedder give it a go.

blg
01-06-2009, 09:09 AM
I was just doing a search at EIL and they have sooooo many cool PJ bootlegs, if only I were independently wealthy... or, you know, weathly at all.

If you are familiar with bittorrent and FLAC, you can go to places like

http://www.Dimeadozen.org
http://www.thetradersden.org/
http://zombtracker.the-zomb.com/

and get many PJ shows for free. In fact, if you go to zomb and do a search for "BLG" you can find about 50 shows that are currently on the site that I did the DAT transfers for several years back. Even though I no longer have time to do the audio stuff anymore, people continue to freely share them, which is a good thing.

turtlex
01-06-2009, 10:12 AM
I used to do the bittorrent thing a while back, but found that between my connection and the quality of what I was finding, it wasn't worth the time it took.

I'll have to check out the links you provided - thank you !!!

turtlex
03-01-2009, 12:11 PM
The Re-Issue of Ten is out at the end of this month ( Finally! ).

You can listen to tracks at www.pearljam.com - https://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-announces-reissue-band%E2%80%99s-debut-album-ten

I have pre-ordered the Deluxe version from Pearl Jam in hopes of getting one autographed by a member of the band ( Pre-Orders randomly to be selected to be signed by PJ members ).

You can also get via amazon ( without the chance of autograph ).

I am really looking forward to this!

Darkmaniscoming
03-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi all,
I worked with Pearl Jam on the original "ten" tour....yes i am a geezer...:)
This is a beautiful example of an early autograph I'm parting with:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SIGNED-Pearl-Jam-Door-Mat-Guaranteed-Authentic-TEN_W0QQitemZ120382037574QQihZ002QQcategoryZ104989 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

turtlex
03-10-2009, 04:51 AM
Wow, amazon just lowered their price of the collector's edition of the Ten Re-Issue to $125.00 - Amazon.com: Ten Collector's Edition (2CD/1DVD/4vinyl/1 Cassette/Memorabilia): Pearl Jam: Music

The PJ site is selling it for $140 ( with a chance for a PJ autograph ).

Amazon's Description :
COLLECTOR'S EDITION BOX SET (2 CDs plus DVD, 4 LPs and Cassette):

CD 1: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered (original mix)
CD 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O'Brien, plus six bonus tracks:"Brother," "Just a Girl," "State of Love and Trust," "Breath and a Scream," "2,000 Mile Blues",and "Evil Little Goat."
DVD of Pearl Jam's previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of "Oceans" with 5.1 surround sound audio remix.
LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O'Brien
LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park - Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O'Brien) "Even Flow," "Once," "State Of Love And Trust," "Why Go," "Deep,", "Jeremy," "Black," "Alive," "Garden," "Porch"
Cassette: replica of original "Momma-Son" Pearl Jam demo cassette featuring "Alive," "Once" and "Footsteps"
Package also includes an Eddie Vedder-style composition notebook filled with replica personal notes, images and mementos from the collections of Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with replicated era-specific ephemera from Pearl Jam's early work and a two-sided print commemorating the Drop in the Park concert.

jayson
03-10-2009, 05:00 AM
Today is Jeff Ament's 46th birthday.

turtlex
03-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Jayson - You are the oracle of all Rock-N-Roll Birthdays!

jayson
03-10-2009, 05:14 AM
I tend to use them (and anniversaries of dates of passing) to listen to certain artists. Sometimes with an obscenely large music collection it takes a little something to figure out where to start on any given day.

turtlex
03-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Um, there is nothing obscene about your music collection. It is, in a word - awesome!

jayson
03-10-2009, 05:18 AM
There are just some days when I cannot for the life of me figure out what I want to listen to and it can be a bit daunting.

turtlex
03-16-2009, 01:57 PM
COLLECTOR'S EDITION BOX SET (2 CDs plus DVD, 4 LPs and Cassette):

CD 1: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered (original mix)
CD 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O'Brien, plus six bonus tracks:"Brother," "Just a Girl," "State of Love and Trust," "Breath and a Scream," "2,000 Mile Blues",and "Evil Little Goat."
DVD of Pearl Jam's previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of "Oceans" with 5.1 surround sound audio remix.
LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O'Brien
LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park - Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O'Brien) "Even Flow," "Once," "State Of Love And Trust," "Why Go," "Deep,", "Jeremy," "Black," "Alive," "Garden," "Porch"
Cassette: replica of original "Momma-Son" Pearl Jam demo cassette featuring "Alive," "Once" and "Footsteps"
Package also includes an Eddie Vedder-style composition notebook filled with replica personal notes, images and mementos from the collections of Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with replicated era-specific ephemera from Pearl Jam's early work and a two-sided print commemorating the Drop in the Park concert.

:rock: Got my shipping notice from Ten Club for this :rock:

turtlex
03-25-2009, 03:08 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2cp8ikg.jpg

Okay, well, I've gotten my Pearl Jam boxed set and I've had a chance to finally go through most of it and all I can say is .... Wow. Very impressive.

I did not get an autographed one - at least not that I've found yet. I'm still looking through stuff though, so hope springs eternal.

I'm glad I went for the Super Deluxe version, with the actual vinyl albums. They're very cool. The art on them is awesome and even though I don't have a record player they're cool to have ( Record Players.... do they make these anymore? And if they do... I'd probably have to invest like four thousand dollars to get a decent one... and would that make good fiscal sense? I highly doubt it ).

So the vinyl - you get ten ( original ) and ten redux ( which is the remastered version ) and you get the live Drop In The Park 2lp set. Now -- the coolness, I took out the vinyl just to look at the actual records and there in the sleeve was a piece of paper with a code to go online and download the songs digitally! Yes!! So I actually get to listen to the show without having to get a record player. Those crazy PJ folks, they think of everything. It's funny because the note with the code says something like "though we think you sound listen to this on vinyl....".

The actual box of the box set is linen covered ( oh, fancy ) and holds everything nicely. There is a linen covered box that sits in the larger box, which contains the cds, the cassette and the notebook. It's cool and has a PJ on the front ( see above ). Also in this second box is a vellum folder containing lots of neato stuff. Artwork, fake concert ticket, sticker, backstage pass, etc. Lots of cool... what do they call it... ephemera.

The only thing I am bummed about is that the cool poster of the band with their hands upraised is folded. Yeah, I know, it had to fit in a box, but still - that sorta stinks.

The notebook is very cool and is probably my favorite thing - it's chock full of pictures and notes and lyrics and neat PJ stuff.

The back of most of the artwork has doodles and notes and stuff.

It's a very complete set and I'm looking forward to the future re-issues!

I haven't had a chance to watch the Unplugged DVD yet or listened to all the music discs, but I am right now listening to Drop In The Park, which I am loving!

Brice
03-25-2009, 03:12 AM
Very cool Pam! :D

...and should you decide to get one at some point you can get a good new turntable relatively cheap...even one that connects to a usb port.

turtlex
03-25-2009, 03:17 AM
Really? Like a good turntable? That's interesting... because I now have these vinyl albums and each year PJ sends out an "old fashioned" 45 at Christmas to Ten Club memebrs, which just sits in a drawer at my apartment...

... but wouldn't I need speakers?

Brice
03-25-2009, 03:18 AM
Not if your computer has some. I mean they might not be the best, but they'd work.

turtlex
03-25-2009, 03:21 AM
:orely: interesting :orely:

Brice
03-25-2009, 03:25 AM
...and I am fairly certain Jayson can direct you towards a nice one. He's the one who told me about them. I really need one myself. I have tons of vinyl.

turtlex
03-25-2009, 03:29 AM
You know, I just realized that I have a bunch of Jim Morrrison/Doors import stuff I bought when I was in my dark, "Jim Morrison is God" phase. I was thinking of selling it to EIL or someplace, but it might be cool to listen to one last time.

Brice
03-25-2009, 03:30 AM
...and then to let me know exactly what you've got before you go selling it elsewhere. :D

turtlex
03-25-2009, 03:33 AM
Will do. The albums are at my Moms and I'm going to grab them up next visit. :thumbsup:

Brice
03-25-2009, 03:39 AM
Right on! :thumbsup:

jayson
03-25-2009, 04:32 AM
...and I am fairly certain Jayson can direct you towards a nice one. He's the one who told me about them. I really need one myself. I have tons of vinyl.

I can, and will. :)
Here are a couple you guys might want to look at...

http://reviews.cnet.com/turntables/stanton-t-90-usb/4505-7860_7-32417457.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/turntables/ion-iptusb-usb-turntable/4505-7860_7-32784961.html?tag=prod.2

Brice
03-25-2009, 05:07 AM

I can, and will. :)
Here are a couple you guys might want to look at...

http://reviews.cnet.com/turntables/stanton-t-90-usb/4505-7860_7-32417457.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/turntables/ion-iptusb-usb-turntable/4505-7860_7-32784961.html?tag=prod.2

Thanks Jayson! I like the stanton one myself. It seems to have more features and that other one looks a little fragile to me. The stanton even has a button you can push to play your records backwards...no more extra work to hear those demonic messages. :lol:

turtlex
03-25-2009, 05:09 AM
Yup, thankee, big-big. I like the Stantion one best, as well, which makes sense, since it's the more expensive of the two. That little portable one is only 97 smackers at amazon!

Who knows, if I save up some, I might actually get to listen to some of the PJ 45s! :D

jayson
03-25-2009, 05:15 AM
It's definitely the preferable one. I included the other one basically to present the more affordable option for those who are simply looking to archive their old vinyl to digital. Or you could do it the way I did. Get a job in the operations dept. of a radio station. Use their studio-quality turntables to record all your vinyl to digital audio tape. Transfer the DAT versions to cd. Now I have cd's that sound just about like vinyl. I love hearing all the cracks and pops exactly where I remember them being.

Brice
03-25-2009, 05:35 AM
Yeah, that's one feature I don't want. It mentions the software can remove those cracks and pops and I'm thinking why the fuck would I want to do that? :wtf:

Pam...none of the sites affiliated with that one had the stanton, but I found a site that had one for about $250 if you're interested. I can't do it right now, but I definitely want one.

jayson
03-25-2009, 05:37 AM
Yeah, that's one feature I don't want. It mentions the software can remove those cracks and pops and I'm thinking why the fuck would I want to do that? :wtf:

Exactly. Aside from the obvious and drastic superiority in dynamic range offered by vinyl compared to cd (or even worse mp3) I think the authenticity of the vinyl sound is its greatest feature. Pristine condensed digital sound is too antiseptic for me.

Brice
03-25-2009, 06:03 AM
:thumbsup: Well said ...and so true. Vinyl is my preferred musical medium always.

turtlex
04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Announced !

Dates :

Ed Vedder Solo Tour Dates:
* Indicates unconfirmed, possible "rollover" dates.
** No kama'aina discount

Jun 8 Albany, NY Palace Theatre
Jun 9* Albany, NY Palace Theatre
Jun 11 Philadelphia, PA Tower Theatre
Jun 12 Philadelphia, PA Tower Theatre
Jun 14 Baltimore, MD Lyric Opera House
Jun 15 Baltimore, MD Lyric Opera House
Jun 18 Nashville, TN Ryman Auditorium
Jun 20 Memphis, TN Orpheum
Jun 21* Memphis, TN Orpheum
Jun 23 Atlanta, GA Cobb Energy Performing Arts Ctr
Jun 24* Atlanta, GA Cobb Energy Performing Arts Ctr
Jun 29** Maui, HI Arts & Cultural Ctr - Castle Theatre
Jul 1** Honolulu, HI Hawaii Theatre Ctr
Jul 2** Honolulu, HI Hawaii Theatre Ctr

I'm hoping to go to the Philly show, but I'm not sure I can make it yet.

Fishonabike
04-08-2009, 02:57 PM
I can remember calling the big local alternative station back in '91 and requesting PJ.

"Sorry, we're not playing them yet." :angry:

Ten, IMO, is their best album by far. I'm trying to figure out why they'd remix it.

turtlex
04-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Actually, the remix brings it back to a raw-er kind of sound, if you can imagine. It's awesome!

turtlex
04-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Well... I got my name in the hat for one of the Philly shows! Fingers crossed on that one! I would love to see Eddie solo! I've only ever seen PJ once, and this would just cap that off... especially at this smaller venue.

jayson
04-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Good luck Pam. I hope you get tickets!

turtlex
04-09-2009, 07:31 AM
I need all the luck I can get, man, thanks ! :couple:

turtlex
04-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Hey PJ fans - MTV and VH1 are both running a 30minute special on TEN.

It's titled : Pearl Jam Ten Revisited
( set those TIVOs and DVRs )

Has interviews, video clips, etc.

ScottRiley
04-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Ten is one of my all time favourite albums, soundtrack to my second year of college, just one of those classic PERFECT albums where every song feels like its growing out of its predecessor and you couldn't add, remove or swap around ANYTHING to make it better.

I think Vs. is an awesome album too, I'd love to catch them live at some point, they're definitely on the list of bands to see before I die!

turtlex
04-13-2009, 12:47 AM
PJ live is something to behold, that's for sure!

The one show I was able to go to was great!

Still waiting to hear if my name got picked from the pool for Ed solo tickets!

turtlex
04-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Via Billboard and Reuters :

NEW YORK (Billboard) – Pearl Jam is lining up U.S. concert dates for the second half of the year, including the Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival in San Francisco.

Along with Dave Matthews Band and the Beastie Boys, the group will headline the festival's second edition, scheduled for August 28-30 at Golden Gate Park.

M.I.A., Modest Mouse, the Mars Volta, Black Eyed Peas, Ween, Thievery Corporation, Incubus and Jason Mraz also are in the lineup, which was announced Monday.

Pearl Jam also has completed 14 songs for a new album and is working on a film with director Cameron Crowe, guitarist Mike McCready said in a recent radio interview.

McCready told Seattle's "Ron & Don Show" that the band is about halfway finished with its next album. McCready said the band expects to have the album out before the end of this year. Pearl Jam will self-release the album, its ninth.

As for touring, the band is doing a "little thing in the States," and aims to play South America in 2010, McCready said.

Pearl Jam is widely expected to be one of the headliners of this year's Austin City Limits Music Festival in Austin, Texas. The event's promoter, C3 Presents, declined to comment to Billboard about the lineup, but the Austin Chronicle is calling the band's involvement "the worst-kept secret since Metallica's SXSW (South by Southwest) showcase."

Dave Matthews Band, Beastie Boys and Kings of Leon also are expected to be announced as headliners on April 28.

Pearl Jam has long been courted by C3 Presents for the Austin festival, especially after the promoter convinced the band to play Lollapalooza in 2007, its first large festival show in the U.S. since the mid-1990s. Pearl Jam played the Bonnaroo festival, in Tennessee, in 2008.

ScottRiley
04-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Wow, sounds like an AWESOME lineup!!

turtlex
04-17-2009, 02:25 AM
Well :( my name didn't get pulled for Ed Solo tickets.... I will have to try and buy them when they go on sale to the general public ( I was going for fan club seating ). I am bummed.

blg
04-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I can remember calling the big local alternative station back in '91 and requesting PJ.

"Sorry, we're not playing them yet." :angry:

Ten, IMO, is their best album by far. I'm trying to figure out why they'd remix it.

Ten was remixed because the original version sounded like crap. Listen to it through headphones and there is a swirling echo on Ed's voice throughout. The new version is far superior, the guitars have more punch, the vocals are more raw sounding, and the tempo is slightly faster which is a more acurate interpretation of what they sound like live.

I understand those that think 10 was their best album, I was 19 when it came out and was fan from the beginning. However... Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, and VS are all better albums IMO. Many people fell off the bandwagon after VS since the band in the mid 1990s stopped making videos, doing interviews, etc.

turtlex
04-29-2009, 03:20 AM
NEW YORK (Billboard) – Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band and the Beastie Boys will headline the three-day Austin City Limits Music Festival in Texas on October 2-4.

Other acts scheduled to perform at the annual Zilker Park event include Kings of Leon, Ben Harper and Relentless7, Thievery Corporation, John Legend, Sonic Youth, Mos Def, the B-52s, Lily Allen, the Decemberists, and Coheed and Cambria.

Three days festival passes start at $185 (with no service fees) through aclfestival.com (http://aclfestival.com).

turtlex
05-01-2009, 05:51 AM
On a bright note .... Pearl Jam will be recording their set for broadcast on Austin City Limits.

( oddly, no mention if DMB wil be doing the same )

jayson
06-02-2009, 03:31 AM
This story causes me to re-evaluate Pearl Jam's anti-corporate credibility. Doing commercials for Target is not exactly what I expected from this band. :nope:

I'd probably have dismissed it as blogger speculation, but then it was confirmed by the band's management.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/exclusive-pearl-jam-confirms-target-tie-1003978374.story

http://stereogum.com/archives/pearl-jams-fixer-to-debut-in-target-ad_071831.html

turtlex
06-03-2009, 02:50 AM
I'm not really sure what's up with my beloved PJ ... because a Pearl Jam version of Rock Band is in the making. These things just seem so commerical, and I usually don't equate that with Ed and the boys.

I am going to give the benefit of the doubt, though, that the Target deal will somehow benefit the fans, maybe keeping the price down, etc.

Kelly Curtis, the band manager : "We'll have a lot of partners," said Curtis, who confirmed that deals were also finished or in the works with an online retailer, a mobile partner, a gaming company and with a network or possibly networks of indie retail stores. "Target ended up allowing us to have other partners. We'll be able to take care of all levels of the Pearl Jam fan...We wish we could tell the whole story right now, but all the deals aren't done. Target was cool enough to realize that little independent record stores are not their competition." Curtis was also quick to note that the album would be for sale via Pearl Jam's fan club, Ten Club.

ETA: I will likely get my copy via the Ten Club. They ( PJ ) usually offer exclusive content, etc, there anyways.

turtlex
07-09-2009, 11:41 AM
:nana: Pearl Jam North American Tour Dates Announced !!! :nana:

DATE CITY VENUE PRE-SALE DATE/TIME

Sep-21 Seattle, WA Key Arena July 13th, 10am PDT
Sep-22 Seattle, WA Key Arena July 13th, 12pm PDT
Sep-30* Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amp. July 14th, 10am PDT
Oct-1* Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amp. July 14th, 12pm PDT
Oct-6* Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amp. July 14th, 2pm PDT
Oct-7* Los Angeles, CA Gibson Amp. July 14th, 4pm PDT
Oct-9 San Diego, CA Viejas Arena July 15th, 10am PDT
Oct-28 Philadelphia, PA Spectrum July 15th, 12pm PDT
Oct-30 Philadelphia, PA Spectrum July 15th, 2pm PDT

Couple of Philly dates, though the timing looks bad for me. :( .

turtlex
08-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Well, I didn't get tickets to the Philly shows ( sucks! ) but at least I'll be able to get the boots for the fan club. Just announced :

Pearl Jam and the Ten Club announce Bootleg program for 2009

Pearl Jam's official website (www.pearljam.com) will be the exclusive distributor for live bootleg recordings from their upcoming tour in support of their 9th studio album "Backspacer".

Shows will be available in three formats- MP3, flac and Burn-on-Demand Compact Discs.

Shows will be mixed and mastered and available within weeks of the show date.

jayson
08-08-2009, 01:35 PM
not to be nitpicky (as if i could help myself) but isn't the name "bootleg" a bit silly to apply to what are essentially officially sanctioned professional recordings? this is not to say this is a bad program and it's cool of the band to make these available, but for them to call them bootlegs is simply inaccurate.

Brice
08-08-2009, 04:17 PM
...and how do they know they're exclusive distributors of boots (if that's what they properly are)? :ninja:

turtlex
08-09-2009, 04:08 AM
not to be nitpicky (as if i could help myself) but isn't the name "bootleg" a bit silly to apply to what are essentially officially sanctioned professional recordings? this is not to say this is a bad program and it's cool of the band to make these available, but for them to call them bootlegs is simply inaccurate.

Yes, they're not technically "bootleg" but well, they used to be - back in the olden days, and PJ just brings that forward... bt you knew that. :couple:

...and how do they know they're exclusive distributors of boots (if that's what they properly are)? :ninja:

You can only buy them first hand via the Ten Club/Fan Club. That's exclusive unless you get then second hand.

I can't wait honestly. I'm still trying to buy up all the previous "boots" from other tours. I have them all from the last tour, but that really wasn't that many ( 13 from 2008 ).

There are 72 from 2000.
There are 73 from 2003.
There are 32 from 2005.
There are 68 from 2006.

That's a lot of music !!

Brice
08-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Ummm...isn't it a lot of money too?

turtlex
08-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Um. Yeah.

But... because the PJ Fan Club is selling them, they're not really expensive. The 2008 boots cost like 14 dollars each...and all were doubles.

The ones that I dont have, I keep an eye open for on eBay and amazon. Obviously I missed out on getting those new, and I'm bummed about that.

I get them used in good condition usually.

turtlex
08-27-2009, 07:24 AM
The Fixer video and Backspacer pre-order in U.S. iTunes Store ( posted 08/24 )

Pearl Jam premieres its new music video for "The Fixer" today in the U.S. iTunes Store in advance of its highly anticipated ninth studio release, Backspacer.

"The Fixer" music video is available in the U.S. iTunes Store as a free download for a limited time and the single is also available for digital download.

Visit: http://www.itunes.com/backspacer

FREE is my favorite kind of download. :D

turtlex
09-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Pearl Jam cuts out the middleman with "Backspacer"
By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) – "Super poppy."

"Just plain fun."

"Surprisingly optimistic."

"Catchy as hell."

These are not phrases often used to describe Pearl Jam, the 30 million-selling purveyor of angst-ridden guitar rock now approaching its 19th year of existence. And yet these are the words being used on blogs to describe "The Fixer," the first song from the Seattle rock band's ninth album, "Backspacer."

The track is a surging, '80s-style rocker written by drummer Matt Cameron.

You can't blame Cameron, singer Eddie Vedder, bassist Jeff Ament or guitarists Stone Gossard and Mike McCready for smiling wider than usual. President George W. Bush, who the band vilified in song and onstage for eight years, is out of office. The group remains a huge touring draw and A-list festival headliner, having grossed nearly $42 million from 51 shows reported to Billboard Boxscore from 2006 to 2008. Vedder won a Golden Globe for his soundtrack to the 2007 movie "Into the Wild." Life is quieter on the homefront, too: Four of the five band members have children.

But Pearl Jam is also celebrating because it finally made good on a longstanding desire to release its music on its own, without the aid of a major label. "Backspacer" will come out September 20 in the United States through a creative patchwork of deals with physical and digital retailers, the most prominent of which is a one-off, big-box exclusive with Target. Internationally, Universal Music is the label for the release.

The Target partnership threw fans for a loop when the news leaked in June. At first glance the move seems at odds with a band whose DIY, fan-first business ethic has set it against corporate behemoths like Ticketmaster and AT&T. But as details began to emerge, it became clear that Pearl Jam struck a deal that rewards the band and its fans as much as it does the stores that sell its music.

MORAL BAROMETER

Target agreed to let independent music retailers carry "Backspacer," a first for one of its exclusives. "Backspacer" will also be sold on Pearl Jam's Web site and at Apple's iTunes Music Store.

"We've put a tremendous amount of thought into this, and we've done it in a way that we think will be good for everybody," Vedder says. He understands why some fans may be confused about the deal, but he says, "I can't think of anything we've ever done without putting it through our own personal moral barometer. Target has passed for us. The fans just have to trust us."

As Gossard puts it, "If somebody would have said 15 years ago that they were going to give us a great chunk of money and let it be a one-off and not hold us to any strings, we would have said, 'Come on! This is the best deal ever!' We fought our way through eight records at Sony and J to get ourselves in a position where we could cut a deal to get paid $5 a record, rather than $1.50 or $2. It was the right compromise for this record, and I think it will give us even more flexibility in the future. The fact that we cut out a few other chains -- I think it's our prerogative to do that. We're bringing a lot of smaller stores with us."

The Target discs will link to a virtual "vault" of 11 concerts spanning Pearl Jam's career, from which fans can choose two. The band will also create an organic cotton T-shirt to be sold at Target, with proceeds earmarked for the hunger relief charity Feeding America. And in September, a Cameron Crowe-directed TV ad will air featuring footage shot during a private performance at Seattle's Showbox in late May.

For Vedder, an avowed vinyl junkie who still savors memories of buying Jackson 5 records as a preteen in Chicago, Target isn't exactly his preferred music purchasing environment. "Maybe it will change, but I'm not going to find Thee Headcoatees at a Target," he says, invoking the obscure British band with a hearty laugh. "But if they only have 300 records at Target, and you can be one of them, and that's how people are going to hear your music, you have to think about that."

That's not the only thing Vedder is thinking about, either. While acts like AC/DC and Aerosmith were winning new fans with branded versions of "Rock Band" and "Guitar Hero," respectively, Pearl Jam was sitting on the videogame sidelines. The band finally took the plunge this spring when it made all of the songs from "Ten" available for download on "Rock Band" the same day the reissue hit stores. The band's manager, Kelly Curtis, declined to discuss sales, but sources at MTV say the "Ten" songs have generated more than 850,000 downloads.

"Backspacer" will also be available on "Rock Band" the day it comes out, and Target has an exclusive on an edition of the album featuring access to download its songs for "Rock Band" on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. It's a precursor to a dedicated Pearl Jam game that could hit stores as early as 2010.

Industry observers are eager to see how Pearl Jam's plan plays out. If successful, it could inspire a host of established bands to try a similar approach, according to Tsunami Entertainment president Bruce Kirkland, who has helped negotiate numerous exclusives between artists and big boxes, including the Pearl Jam/Target pairing.

"Any artist that can tour without support and has a base is well served by this system," he says, pointing to Wal-Mart's deals with the Eagles and Garth Brooks. "For them, the record is a marketing tool for other revenue-generating opportunities. It is a no-brainer. It's a perfect deal in that sense. The financial upside is cutting out a lot of the middle pieces. I like the model because it basically puts more money into marketing, which is a big piece missing from labels these days, and there's a better bottom line for the artist."

Others are impressed that Pearl Jam has been able to create synergy among such a disparate roster of partners. "They're playing ball with the big boys," one former major-label executive says. "This isn't like some other bands, who self-released music online and then followed it up at retail months later. They picked major partners, because this is still a major band."

LEAN AND MEAN

As Pearl Jam reinvented its business, it turned to a familiar face when it came time to record: Brendan O'Brien. The band recorded "Backspacer" in Los Angeles and Atlanta with the producer, who also worked on "Vs." and "Vitalogy" but hadn't produced a Pearl Jam album since 1998's "Yield."

Pearl Jam's members quickly realized what they'd been missing, as O'Brien provided crucial input on arrangements; played piano, keyboard and percussion; and put together orchestrations for delicate Vedder songs like the acoustic guitar-powered "Just Breathe" and the gut-punch finale "The End."

"He does those melodic things from his musician brain first, and then he's able to layer them within the music with his producer brain," drummer Cameron says. "He uses both sets of skills in a way that most producers aren't even able to do." O'Brien's efficiency rubbed off on the band, according to Gossard. "We made this faster than we've made any record," he says. "We were 30 days in the studio total, including mix. I think we had 90 percent of the record cut in the first nine days."

At 11 songs and less than 37 minutes, "Backspacer" is the leanest and meanest Pearl Jam album yet. "At one of our gigs, without flashpots and electricity, there's only so much room for those more difficult listening songs," Vedder says with a laugh. "That was one reason why we kept the arrangements lean. The songs come off more like sparkling water than pea soup, and I think that's good for our group right now."

"The Fixer" became the foundation for the album after Vedder came up with an edit of an arrangement the band bashed through without him. "My personal interpretation is that it's about how (Vedder) makes our songs work," Gossard says of the track. "When someone inspires him, he's an incredible collaborator."

Other musical highlights on "Backspacer" include the opening one-two combo of "Gonna See My Friend," a furious Stooges-style garage blast, and the propulsive, Police-y "Got Some," which Pearl Jam premiered June 1 on the first episode of "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien."

On the softer side, "Just Breathe" is a ballad based on an instrumental from Vedder's "Into the Wild" soundtrack, while "The End" is an aching love song that closes the album with startling lyrics: "My dear/I'm here/But not much longer."

"You know, I'll admit that even I felt some impact myself listening to it back the first time, and not even really knowing where it came from," Vedder says of the song, which he debuted this summer during a solo tour. "A lot of the songs on this record were ones I just tried to get out of the way of, without self-editing."

Vedder named the album in homage to a typewriter key. The frontman, who still uses typewriters for lyric writing and personal correspondence, says he got upset when he saw vintage typewriter keys being used as jewelry. "For me it was like shark fin soup: 'You're killing typewriters for a bracelet!'" he says.

The band, which headlined the past weekend's Outside Lands festival in San Francisco, has shows lined up in Seattle, Los Angeles and Philadelphia through September and October, with the Philly gigs set to be the final ones at the Spectrum.

Also on tap is a headlining slot October 4 at the Austin City Limits festival, plus a run of shows in Australia, New Zealand and Hawaii in November and December.

As satisfied as they are with their new album and their new deals, Vedder and his bandmates insist they're as driven as ever to keep challenging themselves, both as a band and a business.

"You'd like to be able to go to work and have everything be smooth, but there's some weird artistic gene in some of us," he says, expanding on the theme of "The Fixer." "It can feel like a curse, because it makes you push yourself to make things better and not allow them to be easy. That's how you get the good stuff."

turtlex
12-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Hey All PJ Fans -

The live AUSTIN CITY LIMITS show is now available HERE (http://video.pbs.org/video/1335500400/) for your viewing pleasure.

It's the whole broadcast. Just about an hour long. Very cool.

turtlex
05-04-2010, 02:25 AM
OMG !!

This is hysterical.

YouTube- MISHEARD LYRICS - Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter

turtlex
10-25-2010, 02:57 AM
Pearl Jam now has their own channel on XM/Sirius Radio !! :rock: All PJ, all the time !

So far, they're playing a nice mix of studio and dipping deep into their live album / bootleg catalog. :nana:

Fall of Gilead
10-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Has anyone heard Lightning Bolt and how is it?

Ben Staad
10-30-2013, 03:57 AM
I would like to know as well. I almost bought it the other day but passed.

Br!an
10-30-2013, 07:39 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VJb5CFon1Y

Ben Staad
10-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks. I forget that everything is on the internet.

Edit: Just listened to the entire album and loved it. It has all of the elements I like and provides some rock, a ballad or two, and has some nice atmospheric music. Good stuff and can't wait to give this another listen.

Thanks for the link, Brian.

Walkingman79
10-30-2013, 10:37 AM
It's raw, emotional and sincere. Vedders vocals are as good if not better than they've ever been and it has been a gift to watch the progression of this band, I've grown up with them and it feels like they've grown up with me (us).

fearless-freak
10-30-2013, 11:28 AM
i discovered Pearl Jam and Soundgarden through Temple of The Dog

Br!an
10-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Edit: Just listened to the entire album and loved it. It has all of the elements I like and provides some rock, a ballad or two, and has some nice atmospheric music. Good stuff and can't wait to give this another listen.

You're welcome, Tim.

I liked it too.

Ben Staad
10-30-2013, 03:49 PM
You should get a kick back from Pearl Jam, youtube, and Walmart. LOL. :lol1:

You're welcome, Tim.

I liked it too.

Fall of Gilead
10-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Thank you, I will check that out!