PDA

View Full Version : World War Z, sooo much more than a zombie book

bergy81
03-07-2008, 03:54 AM
Have any of you read this book? Im a zombie fan, but I havent heard much about. I would love your input.

Ruthful
03-07-2008, 03:59 AM
I've read a hundred pages, approximately, and love it. I bought it last year, but had to put it down for a while-I should finish it once I'm done with my current reading list.

I always like the idea of a zombie rampage being placed within the broader political-cultural context of the time instead of simply being a rehash of traditional tropes in the horror genre.

Erin
03-07-2008, 05:36 AM
I read this last year and if you like the whole zombie genre, you will love this!

It's just written in a really neat way...the extended title is "The Oral History of the Zombie War" or something like that, so the story is told in interview-style with different people who are discussing something that happened in the past. While there are a ton of horror stories in there from survivors and what they faced, the main gist of the book is detailing the military efforts used to contain the outbreak and deal with it.

I highly recommend it :thumbsup:

LadyHitchhiker
03-07-2008, 08:34 AM
The Zombie Survival Guide Book is another good one :D

Heather19
03-07-2008, 02:55 PM
I started this awhile ago, but only got about 50 pages in before I put it down. I wasn't expecting it to be so politically and military oriented, I thought it was more just going to be interviews with random people and what they went thru.
Erin, since you've read it, are there more stories focused on just your everyday people as the book progresses, or does it stay similar to the first few chapters?

CyberGhostface
03-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I think there's more variety to the narrators than just military and political personnel.

Mattrick
03-10-2008, 11:33 AM
My friend recently bough this and read it. When I'm done Snow Falling on Cedars, Othello and Dearly, Devoted Dexter I'll read this.

Ikilledthecrimsonking
03-10-2008, 01:46 PM
dude who isnt a zombie fan

i love every movie that has them in it

but i have been having re-accuring zombies take over the world dreams

OchrisO
03-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I have it on audiobook, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ruki
03-10-2008, 02:48 PM
same here. i listened to a little just to see if it was interesting, i liked what i heard but it didn't get me excited enough to drop everything else on my list. then i forgot i had it. i'll have to dig it back up as soon as i'm done with the one i'm listening to now.

Vasagi
03-20-2008, 05:57 AM
This was one of my christmas presents to myself this past year, and I read through it by mid January.

I just wrote something in the Chuck Palahniuk thread about how I don't care much for the "oral biography" writing style, and that pretty much sticks here, too. For me, that was the worst part of the novel.

Beyond that, it was ... okay. My favorite part of the Zombie Survival Guide was the stories about the zombie outbreaks at the end, and that's essentially what this is: a collection of stories detailing a worldwide outbreak.

To answer Heather19's question a few posts up, it's not all military and political. There are several stories from common everyday people who survived the "war". The majority of the stories are from military perspectives, though ... mostly detailing how ineffective modern military was and how it had to evolve to deal with an enemy that they couldn't demoralize. It makes sense that the majority of the book is from the military/political perspective, though: after the global apocalypse, the surivivors left to tell the story are going to be the political leaders, the military, and militarized civilians.

The stories basically follow the chronology of the zombie apocalypse. From initial outbreaks and how it spread, to the failure of military and political systems, to the turnaround and reclaiming of the world, wrapping up with living in a post-zombie-apocalyptic world.

If you're a big fan of the whole zombie genre, you'd do yourself a favor by reading it ... but otherwise just pass it up. It's no literary masterpiece, but it is a really interesting read to those who are interested.

Heather19
03-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks for answering my question. Maybe when I get some time I'll finish it, we'll see.

Ruki
03-24-2008, 01:18 AM
started listening to it a few hours ago, i like it :)

BoogerSnax
11-24-2008, 05:06 AM
Has anyone else read this fine study on modern societies and the human condition?
I've been through it 3 times, and have often returned to it in random places when I needed something to grab on the way to dad's "reading room".

oops, type-o in the title.

Woofer
11-24-2008, 06:12 AM
Savoring it right now.

Max Brooks is great.

BoogerSnax
11-24-2008, 06:30 AM
My first read through was fevered.
The 2nd was centered on the individual locations and actions.
The 3rd was for the social aspect and how different societies dealt with it, from iron fisted authoritarianism, to profit driven chaos.

flaggwalkstheline
11-24-2008, 06:55 AM
wwz is amazing

BillyxRansom
11-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Need to read this book. Isn't this the companion to that zombie apocalypse guide?

BoogerSnax
11-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Need to read this book. Isn't this the companion to that zombie apocalypse guide?

Yes. But it is so much more than that book ever could be.
It's a new take on the genre. Plus it really bitchslaps all the different regions of the world and their societys' hypocricies.

Ka-tet
12-03-2008, 04:47 AM
I didnt enjoy it....at all.....

Ruthful
12-03-2008, 12:06 PM
I thought it was great. Never read The Zombie Survival Guide, which I imagine had less political commentary.

Hannah
12-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I have the Zombie Survival Guide, which is just that: a survival guide. I've been meaning to pick up World War Z ... but have shied away from it because of the B Movie sounding title.

Sam
12-03-2008, 01:19 PM
The Zombie Survival Guide is a hell of a kick, but be careful reading it at night. It'll make you jump at the bumps and groans of your house if your one of those easily spooked type. I thought it was funny as hell and found the discussion on the best weapon to use to be very insightful. Thank goodness I already have many of those good ones. However, I DO live in a single level house.:arg: