PDA

View Full Version : Giveaway/Auction Threads--Explained

Matt
11-23-2008, 03:58 PM
We are planning on 25 amazing gifts this year for the giveaway. That's down a little less that half of last year but we are going to try and use the auction tool too. We got a HUGE return from stuff out there last year so we might as well put it to work. :thumbsup:

The 25 mark on the giveaway is obviously flexible.

So there will be 1 giveaway thread with all the items in it---these are still To Be Determined.

We will set up one thread for each auction and I would like that done in advance of when we put it on the block. Maybe...a week.

All of this will involved using the image wrap because I would like the first post in the auction threads to be a great image and description of the item.

I will handle putting the auctions on. :cyclops:

So that's about it--comment here. We are going to get very serious about taking our current list and seeing if any of it is one of the 25, if not, we will begin auctions Jan 1st 2009--(or maybe sooner :ninja:)

turtlex
12-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Hey Matt - Just wondering, how long are the auctions going to be? They're not going to be up for the whole time are they? Like for 5 months until the Big Give ends?

Matt
12-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Nope, we are going to give a week notice on each auction coming up including the item and start price.

It will close after a week with overlapping other ones going on. So there should always be an auction going but not the same ones.

turtlex
12-18-2008, 08:39 AM
:thumbsup:

Awesome.
Thankee-sai.

e_taylor
12-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Okay, stupid questions forthcoming:

So - we send a box of goodies, and then you guys list them on DTBay with the proceeds going to the Fundraiser goal, right?

And the 25 prizes come from.... really good boxes of goodies?

Edit: ... and the address for sending said box of goodies is the same as for sending checks/money orders...?

Matt
12-18-2008, 03:19 PM
It sure is--thanks for the interest.

And yes, I will be pulling extra special goodies for the 25 giveaway items.

We are ranking donated items by "collectibility" and giving entries to the giveaway based on that.

e_taylor
12-18-2008, 05:31 PM
It sure is--thanks for the interest.

And yes, I will be pulling extra special goodies for the 25 giveaway items.

We are ranking donated items by "collectibility" and giving entries to the giveaway based on that.

And are you looking for anything (haha well, book related anyways), or only King and King related? In particular, small press S/Ls, maybe nice books like Easton Press titles... that sort of thing?

Matt
12-18-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm really interested in things that are King related, it's just a sure hit.

However, I don't mind other books that are collectible or anything in the "sci-fi/horror" deal.

The main thing would be to make sure it's interesting and something people may actually want. :lol:

e_taylor
12-18-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm really interested in things that are King related, it's just a sure hit.

However, I don't mind other books that are collectible or anything in the "sci-fi/horror" deal.

The main thing would be to make sure it's interesting and something people may actually want. :lol:

You mean you don't want my harlequin romances?! :lol:

e_taylor
12-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Alright Matt - theres a box headed your way. Nothing earth shattering, but a few things that should be able to find a new home.

Would you mind shooting me a PM when it arrives? (It might be a few weeks with the holidays and all)

Matt
12-19-2008, 08:22 AM
I would be happy to and thanks so much for the donation. :couple:

Brice
12-19-2008, 08:24 AM
I can't believe you broke up your complete Harlequin Romance collection. I'm sure that had to hurt. :lol:

e_taylor
12-19-2008, 08:27 AM
I can't believe you broke up your complete Harlequin Romance collection. I'm sure that had to hurt. :lol:

:lol: You know Brice, sometimes when you love something so much, the best thing is to let it go. :cry:

Brice
12-19-2008, 08:34 AM
:rofl:

Matt
01-15-2009, 08:18 AM
The two auctions up right now are going crazy!!

You guys are so wonderful. :grouphug:

e_taylor
01-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey Matt - what else is in the pipeline for the auctions? - I'm getting antsy to bid on something!!! :panic:

Matt
01-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Oh man, so much cool stuff I can barely stand not keeping it for myself.

Comics, 1sts...all kinds of collectibles.

We're going to have to ramp up the amount of items being auctioned at once. I'm hoping there will be something for everyone.

I do plan on posting a list of stuff soon, just getting one more thing worked out. :grouphug:

Matt
02-05-2009, 04:32 PM
4 auctions are now open, please bid if you can. :grouphug:

Patrick
02-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Oh man, so much cool stuff I can barely stand not keeping it for myself.

Comics, 1sts...all kinds of collectibles.

We're going to have to ramp up the amount of items being auctioned at once. I'm hoping there will be something for everyone.

I do plan on posting a list of stuff soon, just getting one more thing worked out. :grouphug:
Matt, are you still planning on posting a list?

Thanks. :couple:

Matt
02-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I was going to try to but it's hard enough to keep up with incoming stuff some days. :panic:

I'm putting up 4 more auction announcements today though and I think most of the information about the giveaway list and the rest of the auction items will come at around the half way point.

A lot of the giveaway items are up in the air right now. :rock:

Patrick
02-09-2009, 06:02 PM
You're the man, Matt. :couple:

Merlin1958
02-11-2009, 05:03 PM
I was going to try to but it's hard enough to keep up with incoming stuff some days. :panic:

I'm putting up 4 more auction announcements today though and I think most of the information about the giveaway list and the rest of the auction items will come at around the half way point.

Matt: Our version of the Charlie the Choo-Choo.

I think I can, I think I can, I know I can I know I can etc. LOL LOL

Keep plugging away Matt, you're doing good things there and I am sure I speak for all when I say "We Appreciate It!!!"

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Chooch
02-11-2009, 07:48 PM

Matt: Our version of the Charlie the Choo-Choo.

I think I can, I think I can, I know I can I know I can etc. LOL LOL

Keep plugging away Matt, you're doing good things there and I am sure I speak for all when I say "We Appreciate It!!!"

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Watch it merlin...I've got Charlie covered :lol: but yes Matt does an excellent job

Matt
02-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks you guys!

As far as an overall list of giveaway/auction items...I've been thinking that over.

Because what we have this year is evolving so much, I do not think a published list of what will be auctioned will go up. We are making decisions and substituting items to and from it almost daily so it's impossible to publish it.

The early auction announcements will be all the notification on them that we can do.

The list of 25 giveaway items this year is growing fast and we are only keeping the most amazing things for it. This list will be published right before the giveaway (probably a couple of weeks) so folks can have a look. Same format as last year.

Also, look for some information coming soon about the actual giveaway night, we have some new stuff up our sleeves. :ninja:

-End public announcement. :lol:

gsvec
02-22-2009, 11:38 AM
:excited: What's the date for the actual giveaway?

Matt
02-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Our Anniversary is May 19th but that falls on a Tuesday this year so it will either be the weekend before, or the weekend after.

I'll have to get with Aaron and Hannah on that. I think the weekend before would be nice.

turtlex
02-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Before, for sure... you know - the sooner the better !

Patrick
04-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey Matt, is there a way to view bid histories on auctions in progress on dtBay? I thought there was, but now I can't figure out how. :doh:

Matt
04-04-2009, 06:12 AM
I do not think there is Patrick. It was request in with the coder and I believe it may be added to the next upgrade.

Kind of makes it interesting though :ninja:

Patrick
04-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the update, Matt.

Yes, it certainly does, although once a member becomes an active bidder on an item, it is pretty easy to follow along. Thanks again.