PDA

View Full Version : The Gunslinger's Guns - General Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

koz
09-06-2008, 08:55 PM
What kind of guns are his guns based on?
Anyone have any info on them?

valtr0n
09-07-2008, 05:52 AM
I'd wager they're not based on any existing gun, but I'll throw a few possibilities out there, based on the fact that it's a single-action, loading gate .45 LC revolver.

A Colt Single Action Army is the most likely inspiration...
http://www.armchairgunshow.com/ot53-pix/ca-9372.jpg

The Ruger Vaquero is an exact copy of the Colt SAA, so it can't be that...

The Taurus Gaucho is pretty much the exact same thing.

I'd really like to imagine them as looking more like a Schofield, but they break down to load instead of via a loading gate.

Besides, I can't imagine the descendant of Arthur Eld would carry anything other than a Colt.

turtlex
09-07-2008, 06:10 AM
Sandlewood grips, though, yes? Light in color and beautiful, no doubt.

valtr0n
09-07-2008, 06:15 AM
Well, yeah, I'm just saying the model of the gun is most likely based on a SAA. Grips/etc are all interchangeable.

turtlex
09-07-2008, 06:17 AM
valtr0n - Yup, great job on finding a pic.
That's basically the gun I picture, except all shiny and oiled well, and generally loved.

Arthur Heath
09-07-2008, 11:01 AM
I've always imagined something with a little more...meat to it...
Mayhap something like this...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee28/JToddHash/44magnum-1.jpg

The Lady of Shadows
09-07-2008, 01:41 PM
dear god skol, don't point that thing at me

:lol:

Arthur Heath
09-07-2008, 02:05 PM
The perspective is wicked crazy eh?

Brainslinger
09-14-2008, 12:02 PM
According to the comics they're certainly single action .45 revolvers. (Theres a section at the back of one of the Gunslinger Born issues which describes the various guns.)

Wizard and Glass Spoilers:
The way Susan fires the revolver in WaG though (which isn't quite the final gunsglinger type he'd inherit later but the next best thing) you'd think it was double -action. I'm referring to the scene where she breaks Roland and co out of jail. I.e. theres a point where she squeezes the trigger again after firing it, and the gun still goes off something which shouldn't happen without her manually,(or womanually in her case ;) ) pulling back the hammer surely? I'll admit, my experience of shooters is quite minimal though, but that's the impression I got from my research. ;)

valtr0n
09-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Brainslinger, the guns Roland has in W&G are not the same guns he has for the actual duration of the quest, if I'm not mistaken.

It's entirely possible the "cheap" guns he has are double action.

Brainslinger
09-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Brainslinger, the guns Roland has in W&G are not the same guns he has for the actual duration of the quest, if I'm not mistaken.

It's entirely possible the "cheap" guns he has are double action.

Oh, I know they're not the same, but I figured the firing technology would be the same.I associate double action weapons as being technologically more advanced, taking away the need to muck about with the hammer (but you still have the option of doing that if you wish.) Hence advancing to the gunslinger guns would be a bit of a downgrade if the previous revolvers were double action...

That being said, the gunslinger guns supposedly go back to Arthur Eld (if we believe the comics) so I suppose it could be purely traditional.

D-Bo
09-21-2008, 07:23 PM
I always envisioned a Colt SAA with lots of scrollwork on it and of course the sandalwood grips.

Perhaps along the lines of something like this:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6484/leftwn3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Then there is the pistol Jake brought and wore in the docker's clutch. The semi auto he took from his father, in 1977 the only semi auto Ruger available was the MkI .22 caliber:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4859/dscn2880auf5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Ves'Ka Gan
09-26-2008, 10:17 AM
I always envisioned a Colt SAA with lots of scrollwork on it and of course the sandalwood grips.

Perhaps along the lines of something like this:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6484/leftwn3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Then there is the pistol Jake brought and wore in the docker's clutch. The semi auto he took from his father, in 1977 the only semi auto Ruger available was the MkI .22 caliber:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4859/dscn2880auf5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Oh, that first one is almost identical to my mental picture when reading the books!

The second one doesn't fit into my mental image, but that's just because my imagination isn't always historically accurate!

John Blaze
09-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Actually, SK makes a bunch of errors in the books when describing the guns. I can't remember them all right now, and I'm at work, but for sure I know he talks about people just pulling the triggers without cocking, and then later on he talks about Roland "fanning the trigger" which is conflicting to whether he shoots a single or double action.

Also, they keep describing the guns as "huge, looking more like a prop than a real gun" but then when he gets the ammo he says it shoots .45lc, and I've never seen a really big 45 colt. I don't remember the books actually saying they have a loading gate, but they never say they have pull out cylinders or are break opens either, so what I understood by what was said they do have a loading gate. An SAA Colt .45 colt is the closest approximation I can come to it, mentally, myself.

I don't think SK did any special research on the weapons he describes, anyway.

MaXx Ka-Tet 19
09-26-2008, 02:47 PM
my image of Rolands Guns are the .45s, but with extended barrels & the srollwork like the picture but toned down a bit & of course the rose on the end =)

Brainslinger
09-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Looking at the guns used in The Dark Tower: Treachery, I think the artist should have extended the barrels a bit. They look to me more like the average sized (if there's such a thing) shooter used in Western films. Yet King tends to emphasize the fact Roland's are big.

I didn't mind when Roland and co's guns were shown as they haven't received the full gunslinger weapons at that point. But in this issue we actually see Steven shoot the guns of Deschain.

Apart from that the design looks pretty good.

Brainslinger
09-27-2008, 08:34 PM
later on he talks about Roland "fanning the trigger" which is conflicting to whether he shoots a single or double action.

You can fan the hammer with double action guns though can't you? I.e, you don't need to, as pulling the trigger will cock it too, but it saves on trigger pressure doesn't it? (I'm assuming that 'fanning' thing is tapping the hammer with your palm so you can shoot at a fast rate... rather than cocking with your thumb...(oo-er)...)

Jackie
09-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Something like these.....

http://wb4.indo-work.com/pdimage/30/489930_tm-coltphyton357revolver6inchi.jpg

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20americaine/revolver%20confedere/revolver%20confedere%20ex%20rev%20perc%20contempor ains%20guerre%20secession-01.jpg

http://www.airsoftmagic.com/images/HFCSilver%20Revolver.jpg

Oh and turtlesong....

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq113/JackieJeans/revolver.jpg

:rofl:

The Lady of Shadows
09-28-2008, 12:27 AM
point the first - some of those look like some puny ass guns to me :orely:

point the second - DON'T point that fucking thing at me :lol:

John Blaze
09-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Jackie - 1 and 3 picture, double actions, and on the third picture those look like 45lc shells, but the gun looks like a .38.... also, the middle picture with all the older revolvers, they all look like top break except for maybe the 3rd one down on the right side, That one might not be.

later on he talks about Roland "fanning the trigger" which is conflicting to whether he shoots a single or double action.

You can fan the hammer with double action guns though can't you? I.e, you don't need to, as pulling the trigger will cock it too, but it saves on trigger pressure doesn't it? (I'm assuming that 'fanning' thing is tapping the hammer with your palm so you can shoot at a fast rate... rather than cocking with your thumb...(oo-er)...)

My understanding, (and maybe Valtron might clarify this, he knows more than I do, fucken gun nut :P) is that although most double actions can be operated as a single actions, the extra machination would make it a slow affair, they're also usually harder to cock, and fanning the hammer would be awkward, slow, and make accuracy difficult.

lead dealer
10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
AHHH

My fellow Dark tower gun junkies...

The closest weapon to rolands guns is the Colt new service. In a .45 caliber. The .45 winchester mag that was asked for in the sporting goods store in 1977 is a rimless round, hence unsuitable for a revolver with out useing a clip (1/2 or full moon).
The new service (1917) is a double action weapon, mentions many times that he or eddie "squeezed the trigger", yet no mention of cocking.....
The 1917 (military .45 acp version of the new service) and all new services had a swing out cylinder. When Detta was going to shoot "that mean honkey" on the beach she drew the unconshous Rolands pistol. Went to examine the load and tried to push the cylinder release foreward (like a smith and wesson) it would not go. She thumbed the releice back, hence it is a colt.
And abouve all this was a big gun it is a good 2 inches longer than my 1911 goverment models, a 1/3 larger than a S&W model 10 (m&p revolver). Beautyfull balance, a nice peice, I can see why Roland favored his so well.
Double action too hi tec? In a world with psycotic trains and tretrous robots, a double action revolver is not that far out there. After all as said so well in the stand "the tools are there we just have to pick them up"
The colt new service (colt 1917) was offered in 4 barrel lenghts and at least 4 diffrent "hard" calibers that I know of.

And yes got mine off of gunbroker and yes, it has sandalwood grips.....

"I kill with my heart"
:shoot::shoot:

lead dealer
10-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Ahh my fellow travlers, almost forgot....

You can "fan" the triggers of most double actions. Hold the trigger back and rapidly hit with the heel of your hand the hammer spur. Holding the trigger back prevents the hammer from locking in place so rapid pesudo aimed fire can be accomplished.

"I kill with my heart"
:shoot::shoot:

Ste Letto
11-20-2008, 03:23 PM
It seems to me that the DT and the gun are linked.

The spiral staircase of the tower and the rifling in the gun barrel make a link in my head.

jayson
11-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Both are cylindrical in shape. I think the similarities end there.

Ves'Ka Gan
11-20-2008, 09:45 PM
The spiraling staircase & the rifling of the barrel are interesting similarities--however--did it ever say that Roland's guns had rifled barrels? I only ask because they are suppsoed to be very, very old guns,and rifling pistol barrels isn't soemthign I think you would see hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

Aside from that, without more reason for your belief I'd have to say its interesting but probably far fetched.

Jean
11-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Both are cylindrical in shape. I think the similarities end there.
I don't know if they do. After all, the whole multiverse, the Tower being its axis, depends on a gunslinger's gun to survive. I do think, however, that with further moving up the spiral of the existence, development of human (or any other) race, and evolution of humanity, we'll find that it's not a gun but something we can't even think of now that it really depends on, and is similar to.

Wuducynn
11-21-2008, 04:38 AM
I think it's an interesting idea but don't think there is any connection.

LadyHitchhiker
11-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Cylindrical in shape? That reminds me of a certain thread at tdt.net with Allhail... :orely:

Wuducynn
11-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Cylindrical in shape? That reminds me of a certain thread at tdt.net with Allhail... :orely:

Are you implying that at one point I might have made an inappropriate thread??

Letti
11-21-2008, 12:22 PM
To me they are as different as possible.

Brice
11-22-2008, 07:52 AM

Surely not you. NEVER I am dumbfounded and shocked by this slander against you. :cyclops:

valtr0n
11-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Roland's revolvers almost certainly, beyond a shadow of a doubt, have rifled barrels.

The rifled barrel was in use well before brass casings were used, and Roland's pistols definitely used modern bullets (brass-cased), therefore the possibility of a rifled barrel becomes a near certainty.

Ves'Ka Gan
11-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Roland's revolvers almost certainly, beyond a shadow of a doubt, have rifled barrels.

The rifled barrel was in use well before brass casings were used, and Roland's pistols definitely used modern bullets (brass-cased), therefore the possibility of a rifled barrel becomes a near certainty.

You got me there, I was thinking of the insinuation of age of the pistols, not thinking about the fact that he used modern bullets from "our" world in them several times.

Even so...I am not really feeling any deeper connection between the pistols and the Tower.

Diggity Of The Eld
11-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm sure the ancestors of the line of Eld designed those guns with the Tower in mind, but as far as being connected to the Tower itself? I don't know, there might be something there to connect them to the explanation of Roland's heightened skill, near immortality, etc etc

pathoftheturtle
11-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Or maybe the guns Roland carries don't directly cause his personal strengths, but just share the same cause: his heritage.

Either way, though, his gun clearly IS connected to the Tower somehow. I mean, it is the key to entry, after all.

Diggity Of The Eld
11-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah the guns are connected, but I think like you say they're more connected to the Line of Eld than to the Tower.

Now, maybe the real question is why Arthur Eld is connected to the Tower?

Ste Letto
11-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Arthur Eld, or Arthur of Old has links with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. The Knights of the Round Table link with the Gunslingers. In DT Susannah's grandfather refers to Roland's guns saying they are as much as Excalibur, Arthur's sword and the conferrer of Arthur's power. I always thought the guns Roland carried were the very guns that Arthur Eld carried, literally Excalibur.

I saw the Tower, the Rose and the Guns as interchangeable, in a symbolic sense, three keys central to the tale. In my mind it is a trinity.

Wuducynn
11-25-2008, 01:36 PM
The Guns of Eld are definitely connected to the Tower, but I don't think the "rifling" and the spiral are connected.

LadyHitchhiker
11-25-2008, 02:39 PM

I'm not sure if memory states that you created it, but you and I sure participated in it... :ninja:

Matt of Gilead
11-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't know about the rifling of the gun barrel, though SK does like his subtleties, but the guns and the Tower do seem to be linked. The image engraved near the tip of the barrel is like a flower :rose:, and according to the Gunslinger Born comments on gunslinger guns, was Arthur Eld's dinh mark. The same section also states that Roland's guns are made from materials not found in his world. It seems extremely likely that the guns are, indeed, the same that Arthur Eld carried.

However, beyond stating that the guns came from another world (also in the comics, I think, I'll have to look), there is no comment I am aware of about where Arthur Eld got his guns.

On a related note, I believe Arthur Eld also had a sword called Excalibur, in addition to his guns. I'll have to do more looking for that, too.

Darkthoughts
11-26-2008, 03:18 AM
Without going and looking, I'm fairly sure that in the Gunslinger Born comics it states that the guns were infact forged from the sword Excalibur.

Brice
11-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Yup, I do believe you're right. I think it says that in one of the side stories at the end of the comics.

Wuducynn
11-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Without going and looking, I'm fairly sure that in the Gunslinger Born comics it states that the guns were infact forged from the sword Excalibur.

It's treated as a possibility, but no one (mortal and on the lower levels of the Tower anyway) knows where the Guns of Eld come from.

Matt of Gilead
11-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Okay, I've got the comic here, and it's a bit of both. Arthur Eld had both Excalibur and his guns, all of which came from another world. No one knows where he got the guns or the sword. Then, while fighting a giant snake, both of his guns were damaged, and he killed the snake with Excalibur. Since the sword was made from the same metal as the guns, it was used to forge new guns. Then, since they had seen how the guns worked, Arthur allowed his smiths to forge additional guns for his knights out of normal steel.

The story is entitled "The Guns of Deschain", and is found in Gunslinger Born #3. I'd say that makes it pretty definitive that Roland has Arthur's guns.

My new pet theory is that Arthur was given his guns so that Roland would end up with them. There's no reason, really, why they should be the key to the Tower unless that is what they were meant for.

Also, Arthur referred to his weapons as both "Colts" and "Peacemakers." Gee, I wonder what kind of guns they are...:D

Wuducynn
11-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Well maybe Arthur Eld did know, but that was it.

haw3ye
12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Little help for a newbie? :)

To be more specific, if anyone has a nice pic of the scrollwork engraving of Arthur Eld's mark on the barrel of the gunslinger's revolver that'd be really helpful as I'm stuck at work and I do not have my copy of the comix in front of me at the moment to look - and I'm actually looking to take my SA Beretta out to an engraver this weekend so I can get this mark on the barrel because I love the Dark Tower series so much.

I found this one on the net but I'd really like to see how it's placed on the barrel and in what direction because the only pics I see on this site seem to show that the mark is backwards(?)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h248/captwinters991/The%20Dark%20Tower/814494988714.jpg

Thanks in advance!

-Marcus

Matt
12-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey haw3eye--welcome to the board.

When your brand new, certain posts need to be validated so I apologize this took a bit to show up.

Its an effort to combat SPAM

Hopefully someone will have an answer to your question.

turtlex
12-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure where you'd find that - but I sure do hope you post a picture of your engraved gun when complete.

Good luck on your hunt. :shoot:

Aaron
12-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Hmm...I know that there is an image of this in the back of one of the comics. I think it was one of the last issues of The Gunslinger Born. But I don't have it with me, so I can't post it now. If no one else finds the image first, I'll try to post it later.

haw3ye
12-03-2008, 11:54 AM
hey thanks...yeah, the series inspired me to purchase my first single action revolver actually so this will be a real treat hopefully...now all i need is a set of sandal wood grips hehe.

And I TOTALLY appreciate a scanned image so that I Can print it, I don't really want to leave my comic with the engraver lol!

Sam
12-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I wish I could help you. I understand your search; I've wanted to get sandalwood grip panels for my revolver since I bought it. Unfortunately, so far, I have been told sandalwood is too soft and won't do. I still think it could be done, but if not, I hope one day to find a maker who can replicate the look of sandalwood stocks.

haw3ye
12-03-2008, 03:25 PM
I wish I could help you. I understand your search; I've wanted to get sandalwood grip panels for my revolver since I bought it. Unfortunately, so far, I have been told sandalwood is too soft and won't do. I still think it could be done, but if not, I hope one day to find a maker who can replicate the look of sandalwood stocks.

On a pretty well known firearm forum I found a guy who was making custom grips over in southeast asia but he looks way too swamped to take any orders right now so I haven't bothered to ask him.

I'm actually going to try and hit a gun show this weekend where the said engraver in my OP should be attending, I'll ask him about grips - post up the pistol model and make of your pistol and I'll see if he can quote a cost.

Sam
12-03-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm not going to use anyone outside of the United States for them. Having said that, I would like to hear what the guys says about the customs grips. It would be for a Ruger Blackhawk.

lead dealer
12-04-2008, 08:29 PM
SINGLE ACTION BARETTA, GOOD GUN. Never had one wonder into the shop. Colts and italian guns however..... Check out Deiviant art and serch under dark tower. you can find some good artist renderings there. The glories of Si Kings works is that he dose not over explain things, Leaves Something to the dear constant readers interpetation.

Rolands guns however were swing out cylender double actions in the colt style. That is what bothers me about most artist renderings, they show SSA's

oh well.....:shoot:

" I kill with my heart"

lead dealer
12-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh yea, sandal wood rather difficult to come by, I looked for two mounths to find grips for the colt 1917 in my avatar, no avail. However Brazilian rosewood is a close cousin....

Thats what I found. They run you around $40, and come with a grip screw. Found the seller on the dreaded ebay....

" I kill with my heart"

haw3ye
12-08-2008, 11:40 AM
My Beretta is product of the assimilation of the Uberti firearms merger/buyout...it's italian ;) and you think you have a hard time finding grips? my revolver is a birdshead grip and completely unique compared to existing Uberti and Colt birdsheads grips :'(

If I used the comic drawing as a reference, the larger curved section is supposed to be on the cylinder side. I just flipped it in photoshop and printed it for the engraver...

...as luck would have it, the engraver at the gun show over the weekend that I attended had this tool kit stolen the night before so he was not able to help me out; however, he did quote me the cost of adding the symbol, only $25 :D I was expecting like triple that amount. If I can catch him at the next show, I'll definitely add pix, thanks all.

lead dealer
12-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Birds head grips, eekkk... try grips made for the mkI to IV webley revolver, they are symalar sized and quite popular in certan areas of the world still. And have seen some with rosewood grips!
The good thing about the baretta gun that the uburti gun never possesed is quality control! Have seen some that range from steller to crap right out of the box. Have an Amini Jager long barrel (7in)model in 44/40 that is on its 5th trip to my shop. If it is not one thing it is another. The owner firing the much more powerfull 44mag out of it for years did not help....
$25!! wow, nice. I want to get an elid punch made for mine. To many guns to take to an engraver. Now finding a tool and die maker that would do that will be a problem. The identifing mark for the entire collection....

More dark tower gun junkies unite!!:shoot:

" I kill with my heart"

batsker
12-08-2008, 09:45 PM
What details do we have about Roland's guns? I.E. caliber, barrel length, grip, etc.

lead dealer
12-08-2008, 11:56 PM
From what I have gathered

rolands pistols are in a "hard caliber" discribed in the 1970's new york sporting goods shop as a .45 winchester. There is no such cartrage, there is however a .45 winchester magnum. But alas this is a rimmless round ment for an auto pistol. It is simply an elongated .45 acp ctg.

Ornately engraved

Double action. Unlike many of the pictures you see they show a single action revolver. Yet in many of the gunfights and discriptions he mentions just pulling the trigger, not cocking the pistol (as you would have to, to spin the cylender and bring a single action to fire. every time) than fireing. And with some double actions you can "fan" the hammer to acheve rapid fire. But why would you want to? Double action weapons with a pull of the trigger spins the cylender and cocks the weapon. It means a heavy, long trigger pull. But you do not have to cock it after every shot. And you can, still, for a lighter pull manualy cock a double action revolver.

Barrel length. Exact measurements are never given, they mention huge, almost prop like. So I would assume :orely: that they are service pistol length. The colt 1917 in my avatar has a 6inch barrel and is by all accounts a "big" gun. anything over 7.5 inches is a little unweldly. Have had a few in the shop, they are just amusing.... completly impractical for fighting or to draw for that matter.

Grips: Smooth, worn sandalwood.

Swing out cylender: Another thing not seen in the illistrations. It was written in drawing of the three that Detta when she was going to shoot the unconshous Roland drew his revolver went to check to see if it was loaded by pressing the cylender relese foreward (like a Smith & Wesson) could not so drew it back (like a Colt) and swung out the large cylender.

Finish, Not clear, sounds like a really worn down blueing.....

In my humble opinion, the colt new service in .45 is the closest thing I can find to an off the shelf Roland Desharian Special... This pistol is also known in millitary service with a .45acp chamber as a 1917. Alas they have not made any of those since the 50's. Check gunbroker, thats where I found mine. The grips (as discussed) and ingraveing are another matter entirely.

Bruce Simmet
Head gun junkie
Old Trooper Gunsmiths

"I kill with my heart"

Attached is a picture of a ww1 vintage colt new service in .455 eley (.455 webley in everyone elses book) that was issued to the royal canadien mounted police. They offered barrel lengths from 2 inches to 7.5 inches. Makes for a really, really big pistol......

Matt of Gilead
12-15-2008, 07:53 PM
New info, at least for me. Long Road Home had information on where Arthur got his guns. Perhaps everyone already knows this, but I just got the story.

Arthur got both his guns and Excalibur from inside the Dark Tower itself. According to the Mid-World Mutants section at the end of issue #4 of Long Road Home, Arthur went to Can'-Ka No Rey, climbed to the top of the Dark Tower, and retrieved the guns and sword there. It also says that the guns and sword were "dreaming" of him.

In issue #5, the Crimson King also states that Arthur's guns came from inside the Tower, and that is why they are a key.

This changes a few things...

lead dealer
12-15-2008, 08:29 PM
What we seem to be forgetting is that the tecnology and the equipment is all still there (Blane, the dougan, andy, ect, ect.....) just fallen out of use. Something disused for any length of time will be forgotten about. For the longest time it was thought that the weapons of the old people carried disease and sickness, proabably radiation poisoning... So they, not being sure what weapons of the old people (guns) did not carry disease dissused all of them and forgot about them and how to use them. Yet outside of "blue haven" were caves of sneeches and assault rifles that would be current issue for 2030 our time... Roland could have just as well been carring a glock or a H&K usp, but where whould the fun and romance of that be? :evil:
It from a machining and repair stand point to make 1870's tecnology than it would be to make than a modern (for out world at least) polmer framed pistol.

Symbolisum, weather it be intentional or not, hell yes!!:rose:

osseolax28
01-08-2009, 08:49 PM
In The Drawing, Detta takes the revolver and opens the chamber. King says she fiddles with the release and swings the chamber out. At the end of the book roland does the same and flicks it back into the gun.

Now in the comic series you see his guns illistrated as a similar model to the colt .45, WITH A LOADING GATE, not the kind that swings out. Also people say that its most close to colt .45, but the colts aren't near big enough and also have a loading gate. I'm probaly being to picky but it really bugs me that theres so many changes. So your opinions please! thx

razz
01-08-2009, 08:53 PM
i think that it means the comics are wrong. Remember that King isn't the one who illustrated them, and the artist takes certain liberties. it's just a continuity error.

osseolax28
01-08-2009, 09:11 PM
The guns cant be colts because colts HAVE LOADING GATES. In the Drawing, King describes Detta swinging the CHAMBER open. He also describes Roland doing the same, and then flicking it back witha flick of the wrist. So i think it cant be colts.
I think maybe the 1858 Remington with blued steel, sandalwood, and making the chambers swing out, at least for me.

Also in the gunslinger, rolands reloading trick would be hard to accomplish with loading gates i think.

lead dealer
01-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Ahh, dear constant reader.

Not the colt 1873 Single Action Army types seen in the illistrations. Colt like any good gunmaker did not stop development of its product line. Rolands guns are much, much closer to a colt New service type revolver.See avatar picture

In the 1858 remington the cylender is removed completly when the rammer is lowered and the cylender pin (revolving rod) is removed. And it is a blackpowder muzzel loder type gun. Impossable to reload quickly, unless you carry a stack of cylenders.

Best time reloading a colt SSA six seconds

Best time reloading a colt new service Two.

Respectfully submitted

"lead Dealer"

Head Gun Junkie, Old trooper Gunsmiths

lead dealer
01-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Gentelmen,

Like the new guys enthuseam. Comics wrong, big time. But the icon of the old west is that colt single action army. But to preform the feats that roland preformed throughout the sereis, you are correct, It could not be a single action gun.
The next development of the colt product line was a double action, than a double action with a swing out cylender. The colt New Service type, they came in many barrel lenghts and "hard" calibers. first one roaled off the hartford line in 1882.

Gunsmith dammit, I can't spell!!

Respectfully Submitted

"lead Dealer"

head gun junkie old trooper gunsmiths

sarah
01-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Hi and welcome osseolax28.

I agree with razz that the comics are taking some of their own liberties.

**just fyi, this thread will be merged tomorrow with the other gun thread. :D

lead dealer
01-09-2009, 12:40 AM
And have all of my non-senceacal ramblings combined to one post!

<gasp>:doh:

osseolax28
01-09-2009, 04:37 AM
i diidnt relize there was a thread on this already. sorry, delete it if ya need to

Darkthoughts
01-09-2009, 06:43 AM
No need to delete at all :D

Actually, I only just noticed Maer's post :blush: - sorry for stepping it up a day! But I've also changed the title to make this thread more general - so ALL aspects of the Gunslinger's guns can be discussed here :)

obscurejude
01-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Good idea Lisa. :)

lead dealer
01-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Well I hope that my nonsencical ramblings helped somewhat......

"Free men own arms, subjects do not"

"most tyrants prefer unarmed victums"

Lead Dealer
Head gun junkie, old trooper gunsmiths:shoot:

Matt of Gilead
01-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Two points.

1. Steven King clearly did not have a particular gun in mind when he wrote this story. Also clearly, Steven King did not do much research on guns (or much else) when he started writing this story. If we all recall, he put NY together wrong in DT2. If he can put NY together wrong, he can put a gun together wrong.

2. Artistic liberties in the comics aside, Arthur Eld calls his guns "Colts" and "Peacemakers." The Colt SAA was known as the Peacemaker. Therefore, that is what Roland's guns are. However, just because that is what his guns look like, doesn't mean they couldn't be different in functionality than the real SAA, and this ties back in with point 1.

just my 2 cents, I suppose.

lead dealer
01-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Throughout the sereis Si King gotten a lot of his gun info wrong. Like the overseer in paradice city carying a .40 cal colt revolver, and the ar15 being full auto or rolands guns being chambered for a rimless round. Lots of little things that only a gun nut would pick up on. Souns like Si King could use a gun guy to consult. Wonder if there are any openings?

Lead Dealer
Head gun junkie, old trooper gunsmiths

MonteGss
01-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Two points.

1. Steven King clearly did not have a particular gun in mind when he wrote this story. Also clearly, Steven King did not do much research on guns (or much else) when he started writing this story. If we all recall, he put NY together wrong in DT2. If he can put NY together wrong, he can put a gun together wrong.

2. Artistic liberties in the comics aside, Arthur Eld calls his guns "Colts" and "Peacemakers." The Colt SAA was known as the Peacemaker. Therefore, that is what Roland's guns are. However, just because that is what his guns look like, doesn't mean they couldn't be different in functionality than the real SAA, and this ties back in with point 1.

just my 2 cents, I suppose.

1. STEPHEN King made a note of his liberties with New York's geography in the foreword to DT3. He clearly never intended to be totally accurate.

2. I know nothing about guns. Whether King made mistakes in describing them or he made them up, doesn't matter to me. :)

John Blaze
01-16-2009, 03:21 AM
2. I know nothing about guns. Whether King made mistakes in describing them or he made them up, doesn't matter to me. :)

The majority of Dt fans are like you, and this is why it works. If he would have wrote this book series targeting gun junkies as readers, he'd have taken a major nosedive. Gun owners are some of the pickiest sons of bitches when it comes to anything gun related.

"It's not a clip, it's a magazine"

"they're called rounds, not bullets"

trust me, go in a gun forum and it's Nitpick City.

I myself am not so picky. I did say from the beginning that there is no way the guns could exist the way described. He described too contradictorily.

Mad Man
01-16-2009, 11:01 AM
[quote=Matt of Gilead;319084]

Yeh i agree with you. I'm happy that they do have guns there and i imagine 'em in my own way - haven't seen a gun in this forum which would be even close to the guns in my head :dance: My gunslingers in my head are special i guess :)

Matt
01-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm the same on the guns, never gave them a second glance.

They fell under the category of "magic guns" right away. :lol:

Darkthoughts
02-02-2009, 03:33 AM
2. Artistic liberties in the comics aside, Arthur Eld calls his guns "Colts" and "Peacemakers." The Colt SAA was known as the Peacemaker. Therefore, that is what Roland's guns are.
Actually, no. Arthur Eld's first set of guns were the ones he called Colts and Peacemakers, however, they were destroyed by the venom of the giant snake Saita (Gunslinger Born #3 - backstory) so Arthur had new guns forged from the blade of Excalibur...and those are the guns Roland has ;)

Wuducynn
02-02-2009, 07:49 AM
2. Artistic liberties in the comics aside, Arthur Eld calls his guns "Colts" and "Peacemakers." The Colt SAA was known as the Peacemaker. Therefore, that is what Roland's guns are.
Actually, no. Arthur Eld's first set of guns were the ones he called Colts and Peacemakers, however, they were destroyed by the venom of the giant snake Saita (Gunslinger Born #3 - backstory) so Arthur had new guns forged from the blade of Excalibur...and those are the guns Roland has ;)

*Slam!*

Matt of Gilead
02-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Fair enough. That would make any issues with their operation merely the result of imperfect copying.

Darkthoughts
02-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Fair enough. That would make any issues with their operation merely the result of imperfect copying.

My thoughts exactly ;) It's either a sneaky way to get around any inconsistencies - or, as Matt said, it just firmly places them in the category of "magic guns" :lol:

lead dealer
02-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I'll buy that one!

In a world that has moved on, who can really tell?!

:cowboy::shoot:

Rcampebll
02-09-2009, 01:38 PM
i personally believe that the look something like this these are what i have tattooed on my back http://www.myvideowesterns.com/store/pics/civilwar_39-540.jpg

lead dealer
02-10-2009, 12:07 AM
1851 colt navy, brass frame. Nice balance, points well. Alas is a muzzel loader. And no swing out cylender. I think I went prematuraly grey trying to figure out what the revolvers in the sereis came close to. Here is the closest in, caliber (The one in the book is not sutable for a revolver) Barrel length, Being double action, and the swing out cylender. Just needs all the coustom engraveing work and the sandal wood grips.

Hope it helps, but this is the best this gun guy can come up with..

Darkthoughts
02-11-2009, 03:43 AM
I think it's great we have you guys here to share this knowledge. It's very helpful for visualising the story :thumbsup:

Rcampebll
02-11-2009, 02:12 PM
i think that the main reason that King really didnt go into detail about the Guns of his father is because he wants all of us to visualize out own idea on the matter. As if we were to say if i was a gunslinger i would imagine myself with these. I know that the picture i put wasnt technically right but i just used it as a visual effect there are some Black powder revolvers out there in which you can take the cylinder out and replace it with a preloaded one which is how i visualize "Rolands reloading trick" which they never actually describe how its done and all. i just used the colt navy to show what a black powder looks like and that is one of the most famous and all but thats just my two cents

osseolax28
02-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Like in Pale Rider and clint eastwood using the 1858 with the conversion cylinder.
I cant imagine it like that b/c of what king says in The Drawing, and like lead dealer said, he would have to have a bunch of extra cylinders, something king couldnt leave out.

Rolands trick in my mind is him swinging out the chambers and holstering the guns with them still out and puting six shells in each gun at the same time. like the way Charlie prince reloads his Schofields in 310 to yuma, puting a shell between each finger

Rcampebll
02-12-2009, 12:13 PM
well yea but like i said to each there own so its just how you see it i guess

lead dealer
02-12-2009, 09:43 PM
From a tecnical aspect,(sorry the job speaking) given the information from the sereis. The Colt New service is this wolds closest firearm.With all the features listed in the trilogy. But, as many better men than I have said "there are other worlds than these!" I can fully understand why he purpously left it a little vauge.

My Roland "Gunslinger" Special is a heavely blued Colt 1917 with rose wood grips. Still looking for the identical mate. Learing to shoot it as a south paw has gotten a little trickey.:shoot::cowboy:

Nore ramblings from a gun nut in some long forgotten level of the tower

"Lead dealer"

Head gunsmith
Old trooper Gunsmiths

Jon
02-12-2009, 11:32 PM
My Roland "Gunslinger" Special is a heavely blued Colt 1917 with rose wood grips.

:drool::drool::drool:

Callahan o' the Roads
02-20-2009, 10:39 AM
SPOILER ALERT:
In the comic series, Arthur Eld sometimes calls his guns "Colts", and at other times "Peacemakers". There is no rose at the end of the barrels, but rather Arthur's dinh-mark, which means "Eld". when Steven Deschain wields them, they look pretty long in the barrels.

Matt
02-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Great observation Callahan--welcome to the site. :rock:

Nightfall
02-23-2009, 06:57 PM
So uhm.. just to keep a conversation going on in this thread

What do you a 'prentice's guns were based off of?

Perhaps the same guns that they used when they grew into true Gunslingers, just purposely weighted or maybe worn out?

Gogo Gadget Attempt To Start Theorycrafting!

lead dealer
02-23-2009, 08:39 PM
They would proabaly be more worn cheaper made revolvers. The Gunslingers guns would be the finely tuned, ornately decorated peices. The apperntice guns would be an abused, plain, oft repaired wheel guns.... These would be like a millitary units or police departments training weapons. Many shooters learn how to shoot on these pistols and eventualy graduate to your personel peices.

Look at it this way.
Rolands gun: Colt coustom shop, with coustom grips and engraving.

Apprentice gun: 30year old iver johnson, 20% of its finish left and cracked, mismatched grips....

BigIron
03-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi guys. I wanted to correct some of the details listed by lead dealer in regards to what we know about Roland's guns.

-Cal.: The Winchester .45 that Roland identifies as the ammo that will fit his guns is the .45 Long Colt (sometimes referred to as just the .45 Colt). This ammo can be found from a number of manufacturers.

-Action: Roland's guns are actually single action as the pictures portray. There are numerous instances where this is apparent (descriptions of the characters thumbing back the hammer when it would not be necessary or practical to do so, unless it was required). I think Sai King just didn't want to have to write "he/she thumbed back the hammer..." every time he described the action going on in the scene.

-Barrel Length: From all the descriptions, the barrel is almost certainly the 7 1/2 inches of the original Peacemaker (1873 Colt Single Action Army) .

-The Gun: Keep in mind that Roland's gun was made by the people of his world, from the steel of Arthur Eld's sword. From reading the series a few times, and from hearing Sai King talk about it, my opinion is that the closest gun to Roland's, available today, is the style of the 1873 Colt SAA with the 7 1/2 inch barrel. The major difference being the swing out cylinder, which can be attributed to the difference in worlds/makers/etc. in the story. Today you can find this style made by Colt, Ruger (Vaquero and New Vaquero), Beretta (Stampede), as well as some others.

And to Sam, I am going to post an image of my Ruger New Vaquero on here shortly, which has custom grips made from Yellow Heart wood. That is the closest I have found to the descriptions of the Sandalwood grips of Roland's guns.

lead dealer
04-12-2009, 12:14 AM
What we have here are my meger reprisations of the gunslingers guns. the pretty colt (the fabled new service I have railed about so much) is a, large caliber (this case .45, acp/auto rim) double action, swing cylender. Blued and polished with rosewood grips. This would be the graduated gunslingers "duty" peice. The one to be passed down to his kin...

The other is what I think an "apprentice" pistol would be like. This is a well worn, double action only top break. It is in a weaker caliber (32 s&w, in this case) and not as well finished. This is a nickeled iver johnson saftey model, .... AKA the McKinley special.

Munchausen
04-13-2009, 06:42 AM
My first impression of what Roland's revolvers were like, aside from the reflexive Colt Peacemaker, involved the .454 Casul. It's a nickleplated nightmare yer supposed to hunt bears with, yar. It only holds 5 rounds and the cylinder is smooth with no recesses. You might have seen it in the movie Alienation with James Caan?
But with the Arthur Eld lore and such, I'm figuring that the have to be one-offs that defy industrial processing. Kinda in the same vein as all those Mexican gunsmiths. Sure the bore had to be consistant with some established calibur but the rest could be very unique and handmade as long as breakage wasn't an issue.
Then there's that stuff towards the end of Drawing of the Three. I am not familiar with .45 Wincester. They make Colt loads but not something unique like the .300 winmag.
As for Mr. King's overall firearms knowledge, I submit that the weapon Tricks was using in Eddie's first shootout was actually an m60 machinegun as opposed to the stated m16 assault rifle. Maybe this just reflects my low opinion of the 16 to begin with.

Claude Clay
04-13-2009, 09:30 PM
most likely of the Colt SAA 45LC 7.5"
vaqueros are made off of the blackhawk frame [which is why they will fire loads up to 454 Casul] of which the edges are smoothed and the sights are fixed. the new vaquaros are made on a smaller frame [closer to the Colt SAA] and don't take kindly to prolonged use of hot loads.

lead dealer
04-13-2009, 09:41 PM
They are nice pistols, yes. But neither of them is a double action swing cylinder. Witch is what it mentions in the books. This has been my dilemma for the last few years, hence why I came up with the Colt new service.
As far as the .45 winchester there is no such round. the closest is the .45 winchester magnum. This is an elongated .45 acp ctg. But alas it is a rimless round not suitable for a revolver....
Low opinion of the m-16 series. Join the club. Most of us just got back from gods catbox too......

Rcampebll
04-19-2009, 09:16 PM
alright so i did alot more thinking and i am starting to think that rolands guns where more like the Smith and Wesson model 3 schofields

lead dealer
04-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Humm....:orely:

Never thought about "pop tops"! Good choice!

Rcampebll
04-20-2009, 08:55 AM
yea i was looking in a gun shop and i saw them and they sorta popped out at me and i thought huh maybe

osseolax28
04-20-2009, 07:08 PM
i thought about schofields also, after i saw the new 3:10 to yuma. but king says in parts the Roland rolls the cylinder out. its like a never ending maze. but i think lead dealers thougts are most acurate.

lead dealer
04-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Fellow gun junkes of the tower

Hate to have this thread once again fall into obscurity. Please, discuss, share pictures....

It was brought up earlyer on what you think apprentices guns looked like. Any more imput on them, other than my rambelings?

anyone???

Beuler.....???

Beuler?........

Munchausen
04-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Well, rereading Wolves and I am now under the impression that this is Jake's piece:
http://images.google.ca/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://juniorkrabaten.no/sbh.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFccKEnFYyFsso14MwiNVd1-w4BrA
As for the irons of the Eld, I still think of something like this(bottom one):
http://images.google.ca/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://guns4u.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/frm.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHcvbMdCZ-cU-Y_rWS4EoVyxdCzZA

ManOfWesternesse
04-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Well, rereading Wolves and I am now under the impression that this is Jake's piece:
http://images.google.ca/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://juniorkrabaten.no/sbh.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFccKEnFYyFsso14MwiNVd1-w4BrA

^^ You're saying that one looks like Jake's?? - Surely Jake's was an automatic?

Sorry - can't see your bottom pic - work-filter has it banned as 'weapons'

Munchausen
04-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Really? That's just wrong..... I'm confuzzled.

turtlex
04-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Came across this picture when doing some searching today... thought it might apply here, friend. From the comics :

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/537/App_guns1.jpg

Munchausen
04-29-2009, 07:50 AM
That looks like something from Wizard and Glass. I remember the weapons in the arsenal in Gilead as having metal grips for some reason. Something to do with Roland's encounter with Stephen after his night with the whore.

lead dealer
04-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Really I thought that jakes gun was one of the many early ruger semi autos. One of the "P" sereis. I don't know, my work filter (courtacy of the us gov't) gave me the dreded "red X" for that picture.
The "apprentice pistol" in the comic illistration is in fact a early (if not model 1) Smith and Wesson. An inexpencive (when new) pistol in a small managable caliber (32. S&W). So many neat weapons in the dark tower sereis. From the flintlock blunderbuss that the barkeep carried, will ill results for her in the wolves, mp-40's, barettas to sneetches and ar15's.

Munchausen
05-01-2009, 06:18 AM
I'm gonna scan Wolves again. Thing is Jake's piece is a (blank)hawk. Of that much I am certain.

ManOfWesternesse
05-01-2009, 06:29 AM
No, the gun jake brought from New York (which he took from his father's desk) was described as a .44 Ruger Automatic (which I've seen experts argue simply does not exist in that calibre).
definitely an auto or semi-auto or whatever and NOT a revolver. remember when jake packed it in his rucksack in NY he made very sure to keep the gun & the CLIPS separate!

Munchausen
05-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Gah!
Just gah.
Point taken. Still, I have to wonder what Roland considers a worthy firearm. He didn't think much of the Colt M1919a1 IIRC.

lead dealer
05-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Do not worry jakes pistol has thrown many of a gun guy.... Myself included....

Colt 1919a1?

Sorry for this, but the 1919 is a belt fed air cooled 30.06 machine gun. Colt made a watercooled version, the colt m1926 comercial.

The 1911a1 (manufactured by colt and so many others) is the old .45 caliber marbel chucker that has served the american servicem man since he was killing morros in the phillipiens in the 19 teens. Worthy, maybe.

Roland would proably refer to it as "cheap". I do not think the gunslinger cares for semi autos much. He refers to belt fed machine guns as "rediculious".....

In a world where the "way of the gun" has fallen down. A well aimed revolver would rain supreme in a world of possiably better, yet poorly aimed guns.......

Munchausen
05-06-2009, 05:02 AM
Not much memory fer numbers...:( Put an "M" in front of it and I'm lost.

I could see Roland stereotyping shootists just like cops and soldiers do today. They see a ganger with a Tech9 or some other wonder-niner, they think "rank amateur". They still have some respect for the lead headed their way but invest confidence in their superiour tactics and training usually affording a predictable outcome.
Wonder if he'd see the rationall of supression and maneuver over marksmanship or just consider it a lazy waste of ammo.

lead dealer
05-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Say true, say true.....:cowboy:

that last one is one of my creations to come out of the shop. client wanted a ww2 looking gun that could hold a good grouping with a crisp trigger, this was it.....

Aleister Crowley
05-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I was always surprised that at the beginning of the Drawing of Three King took away one of the gunslinger's shooting hands . . . thus disabling one of his guns. Especially seeing as important as his guns were to him.

lead dealer
05-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Si King added one heck of a plot device with that crippling. Made it essential that he recruit some help for his quest to the tower...

ManOfWesternesse
05-14-2009, 12:22 AM
... plus a good two-handed Roland would never have let anyone even touch one of his Guns, therefore no new Gunslingers. yes, that crippling was esential to the whole story.

koz
05-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Say true, say true.....:cowboy:

that last one is one of my creations to come out of the shop. client wanted a ww2 looking gun that could hold a good grouping with a crisp trigger, this was it.....

I can't see any of those images... Says I'm not privileged enough, can someone help me out here?

Cheers

Claude Clay
05-19-2009, 01:11 PM
koz---it looks like a colt model 1911-A1 as originally configured per Army request.
blued, spur hammer, lanyard loop, back strap palm swell & military sights [small, fixed]
as for how he smithed it......

lead dealer
05-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Looks like a case of the spam blocker strikeing again. I get the dreded "red X" about 90% of the time. Infernal gov't computer filter!!!!

pr0k
05-27-2009, 03:47 PM
I think a major thing people have overlooked is the fact that even though certain attributes don't match guns from our world, there are other worlds than these.

It may very well be a version of a colt from another world. The gun's version of nozz-a-la.

I have a feeling that these guns come from somewhere more special than a standard gun maker. For example, the sound of the gun seems to carry much more force than the caliber it uses normally would.

lead dealer
05-29-2009, 04:57 AM
Yet we have found, oh dear constant reader, Some that come close.

The "Guns of the elid" Would have to be a custom job If someone wanted one from me and my shop, It would be well over $1000. The engraving alone would be a 1/3 of that, and take many sleepless nights. A great deal of artistry would have to go into crafting these fine instruments. I can only assume that it took my Gilied counterpart many a month to turn out one of what would later be Rolands pistols, let alone a matched set!!

As far as the knockdown power. .45 acp (what goes in the 1911 .45 and a version of the colt new service) Has about as advertised. Lots of displaced energy when that fat 230grain slug makes contact with soft tissue. The old saying from countless American troops since 1912. ".45 Ball stops em' all". You can assume that the discerning gunslinger values the merits of the "hard caliber"!

DOHC_Holiday
05-30-2009, 01:53 AM
I always pictured the Remington 1875 in Roland's hands.

http://k43.pbase.com/u18/squireland/upload/15483032.Model1875Remington.jpg

Munchausen
05-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Googled it. Swell looking hog's leg that is. Further research probably would tell ya that it came in .44.

RUBE
06-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Yet we have found, oh dear constant reader, Some that come close.

The "Guns of the elid" Would have to be a custom job If someone wanted one from me and my shop, It would be well over $1000. The engraving alone would be a 1/3 of that, and take many sleepless nights. A great deal of artistry would have to go into crafting these fine instruments. I can only assume that it took my Gilied counterpart many a month to turn out one of what would later be Rolands pistols, let alone a matched set!!

As far as the knockdown power. .45 acp (what goes in the 1911 .45 and a version of the colt new service) Has about as advertised. Lots of displaced energy when that fat 230grain slug makes contact with soft tissue. The old saying from countless American troops since 1912. ".45 Ball stops em' all". You can assume that the discerning gunslinger values the merits of the "hard caliber"!

How much would it be without the engravings? Would it just be a New Service or 1917 like you mentioned before or would there be other adjustments? Have you sold any "Guns of the Eld" before?

lead dealer
06-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Ahh.... Back from the dead once again........

To be the closest, I would start with the new service/1917. Find the longer barrel. This would vary per gunslinger- smaller man+ shorter barrel, easyer to draw. For some one around 5'10" to 6' the issue 6 inch would be good. I am 5'9" the as issued pistol is a little hard to draw for me. Well at least as fast as Roland dose...... Add a pair of aftermarket sandal wood/ rosewood grips. Mine ran me about $30. And a lot of "tuneing". A lot of work has to be done to smooth the trigger pull and lighten it. From the factory it is not bad, but to bring it to "gunslinger status" will take just a bit of tweeking.
I am rambeling aren't I?

As far as the pistol itself, I got my 1917 off of the dreaded gunbroker two years ago for $300. That Is about $200 less than what they seem to be going for now. But it is cheaper than retail they blue book at around $400 to $900 depending on condition and caliber. Any caliber of colt new service could be used, the frames are all the same. To be truly fitting to Roland the caliber should begin with a "4" at least.
As far as selling one, no. Have yet to have a good apprentice slinger wander my way seeking the tools of his trade..... But I am still young. I have mine (the 1917) and my lovely wife has hers (MKVI webley). We have even gotten one for our son(engraved MKVI webley), who can not even hold it yet. It stays in the case till he is 16, It becomes his at 18.
Each individual gunslinger will have his own coustomised pistol. No reason you can not have yours. :cowboy::shoot:

RUBE
06-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Did you do something to your 1917 so that it does not require the moon clips or do you use them? Also, does anyone make a gun similar to the 1917 still or do you have to hunt down a used one like you did on gunbroker?

I am thinking about getting a handgun. I probably will not start by trying to get a gun similar to the gunslinger's but I will want one eventually. To start with I have considered getting a 1911. Then again I also have thought about just getting a .22 because they are cheap and would be a "good starter gun for target shooting or for use around the farm as a snake gun" as a salesman tried to tell me. I have mainly only shot deer rifles and shotguns before now so I do not have much experience to guide me. What do you think I should start with?

lead dealer
06-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Aspiring Slinger.

The 1917 sereis of revolvers. Both the colt and smith and wesson versions were capable of useing the moon clips or just loose rounds. The problem with the loose ones is that they do not engage the extractor, so you need a rod to remove them from the cylender. There is a round made that I reload the @#$% out of called the .45 auto rim. It is essentialy a .45acp with a fat rim to make up for the lack of moon clip. There still out there and look really nice with the gunslinger pistol.
As far as a new 1917 type revolver the only one made currently is the smith & Wesson heratige sereis 1917/1922 revolver. Casehardened frames, polished blueing, pretty pistols. Priced accordingly.
Than there are the used ones.
Colts: what to look for. 1917, 1907, and the new service. They came in a few diffrent calibers. Were quite the popular pistol in the early half of the 20th century. used by the us army as a subistute standard from ww1 to the end of ww2, they served the crown chambered in .455 webley, also the famous RCMP throughout canada. There were a few varyants made after ww2 on the new servivce frame, but none past the 1950's.
Smith and wesson: they made an verson of the 1917 useing the triple lock pistol as its base. It looks like an oversized model 10 in .45 acp. These were also used by trhe comonwealth forces in the .455 webley. The triple lock is most famously used by indana jones in the first two movies, before he started useing the MK VI webley. The only diffrence is that indies pistol has a shortened barrel with coustom frount sight and renforcement band. After ww1 the pistol was produced again for exporrt as the model 1922. Most will bear brazilian markings. Many were reimported in the 80's these are the so far cheapest option. The smith had a longer production life than the colt, the last offical model being the 1950 "military" model. Than again with the new heratage sereis that is still in production.
Ok, now from the instructors standpoint. A 1911, in my humble opinion is god's own handgun. Served my country from 1912 to gulf war part 1. A better combat handgun is hard to find. However, it is not a beginers gun. It dose require a lot of training and practice to master. If you do not hold it right it has a tendancy to eat the shooters hand. And than there is the whole single action thing..... But once masterd, It will serve you well for many, many years.
THE .22.
It is nice to learn how to pistol shoot with one of these. .22's are quite forgiving and cheap to shoot. I recomend the walther p-22. It is a smaller variant of the current bond gun. A modern polymer and steel pistol with anbidexterous controls. And abouve all they are under $300 for a basic version new in the box. These are good enough to be used by the seals as the new "assination" gun. They come from the factory with barrel threads for a supressor.....:evil:

More mispelled rambelings from the gun nut.....:shoot:

RUBE
06-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice. I had not heard about the auto rim rounds but had read a lot about people using the moon clips. Maybe one day...

I think I have pretty much decided to get a .22 but I might just get this .22 revolver that I saw. I know it will not prepare me for a semi-automatic like the one you suggest but the price is very right for a starter. Before I move on to the next gun I am going to try out a number at my local gun dealer. They will rent guns for you to use in their shooting range and so I can try various styles and calibers to see what I like. You never know, maybe I will take their concealed handgun course once I move onto a gun I can use for it. (The course requires a .32 or higher caliber and you can only be certified for both semi-automatics and revolvers if you take it using a semi-automatic.)

Thanks again.

John Blaze
06-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Ahh.... Back from the dead once again........

To be the closest, I would start with the new service/1917. Find the longer barrel. This would vary per gunslinger- smaller man+ shorter barrel, easyer to draw. For some one around 5'10" to 6' the issue 6 inch would be good. I am 5'9" the as issued pistol is a little hard to draw for me. Well at least as fast as Roland dose...... Add a pair of aftermarket sandal wood/ rosewood grips. Mine ran me about $30. And a lot of "tuneing". A lot of work has to be done to smooth the trigger pull and lighten it. From the factory it is not bad, but to bring it to "gunslinger status" will take just a bit of tweeking.
I am rambeling aren't I?

As far as the pistol itself, I got my 1917 off of the dreaded gunbroker two years ago for $300. That Is about $200 less than what they seem to be going for now. But it is cheaper than retail they blue book at around $400 to $900 depending on condition and caliber. Any caliber of colt new service could be used, the frames are all the same. To be truly fitting to Roland the caliber should begin with a "4" at least.
As far as selling one, no. Have yet to have a good apprentice slinger wander my way seeking the tools of his trade..... But I am still young. I have mine (the 1917) and my lovely wife has hers (MKVI webley). We have even gotten one for our son(engraved MKVI webley), who can not even hold it yet. It stays in the case till he is 16, It becomes his at 18.
Each individual gunslinger will have his own coustomised pistol. No reason you can not have yours. :cowboy::shoot:
pics or it didn't happen

lead dealer
06-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Gimme some time..

Did not know there was intrest in each others gunslinger guns... humm, that might be a good thread, "Show us your guns"!!.....

Why dose the movie 1941 come to mind???

:orely:

RUBE
06-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Might be a good thread... as long as people have more guns to show than I do.

lead dealer
06-29-2009, 07:40 PM
It should be a good thread...

here is the old troopers "drawing of the three"

The engraveing on the old MK VI is rather old, done the hard way proably shortly after ww1. Done well, a prime example of trench art.

lead dealer
06-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Can not forget about the ammo!

Claude Clay
06-30-2009, 09:32 AM
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4459/pict0100z.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/i/pict0100z.jpg/)

one brace of Cowboy Action Shooting guns--45lc

John Blaze
06-30-2009, 08:32 PM
nice, i'll post some of my guns later, it's been a while. I only have the one revolver now though......

lead dealer
07-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Only one?

you need more when the zombies come!
:shoot:

lead dealer
07-07-2009, 10:09 PM
where are the guns???

dr shottie
07-09-2009, 10:55 AM
http://http://media.midwayusa.com/highres/887895.jpg
when i think of rolands guns i dont know why but i always think of these maybe because of the size

dr shottie
07-09-2009, 10:57 AM
http://media.midwayusa.com/highres/887895.jpg

RUBE
07-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I used to think of one like that as well until lead dealer pointed out that the cylinders swing out on Roland's guns (see The Drawing of the Three) and they do not do that in the gun pictured there.

This is more like what I picture now:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j61/catman253/Model25-5s750.jpg

It is a Smith & Wesson Model 25-5

dr shottie
07-12-2009, 03:49 PM
thats a cool pic the only problem with that gun is its not very western :thumbsup: but it would still bloody hurt if somebody shot you with it

RUBE
07-12-2009, 04:30 PM
I think Roland's guns must have been some weird hybrid of an old western style Colt .45 and a newer more-modern revolver that can only be explained by "there are other worlds than these."

lead dealer
07-12-2009, 11:09 PM
The odd thing of the "guns of the elid" is that they would not be a true "old west" gun. In a world of psycotic trains, caves of rifles and guided hand grenades, and robots riding robot horses there is some "wiggle room" with the desighn.
It leaves one to wonder if the guns handed down from Steven Destan looked this way, what do you suppose the other gunslingers peices looked like? the mind wonders....

dr shottie
07-13-2009, 01:39 AM
yeah the mind boogles with the thought of what could be. only king can tell us exactly what they look like in his mind

John Blaze
07-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Only one?

you need more when the zombies come!
:) I said I only have one revolver

in total, I have 12 firearms and counting.

the wife: "why do you need so many guns?"
me: "why do you need so many shoes?"

crickets, then she walks away.

dr shottie
07-13-2009, 02:19 AM
amen to the shoes comment my girlfriend has what i think is billions and she reckons still needs more.

John Blaze
07-13-2009, 02:24 AM
right? every wedding/anniversary/graduation party/whatever she needs to go buy a new pair of black shoes. She has like 1000 freaking pairs of black shoes

women :P

John Blaze
07-13-2009, 02:27 AM
btw, here's my 2 revolvers i used to have. I sold the green one to my uncle, but since he hasn't finished paying me, and it's been over a year, I think I'm gonna go repo it this weekend. :P
I still have the brown one.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/BrunoBaca/cowgirl004.jpg

dr shottie
07-13-2009, 02:30 AM
tell me about she is always on the hunt for new shoes. awesome revolvers you got there dude and you should go get the greenish one back i think it looks the coolest outta the two in the pic

Brainslinger
07-13-2009, 02:29 PM
The odd thing of the "guns of the Eld" is that they would not be a true "old west" gun. In a world of psycotic trains, caves of rifles and guided hand grenades, and robots riding robot horses there is some "wiggle room" with the design.

Yeah, that's what I thought. According to the comics* they are single action revolvers like those of the old west though, but I don't see any reason why the cylinders couldn't pull out. (That being said, my knowledge of gun mechanics is pretty minimal so feel free to correct me there. I didn't ever know the difference between single action and double until a couple of years ago.)

It leaves one to wonder if the guns handed down from Steven Deschain looked this way, what do you suppose the other gunslingers peices looked like? the mind wonders....

The comics shed some light on that. The gunslingers weapons are modelled on the original pistols of Arthur Eld. The originals (which Arthur sometimes referred to as 'colts' by the way) were destroyed in a battle with a giant mutant snake.

The damaged weapons were studied by the Gilead smiths (or whoever), etc. Arthur's sword excalibur was melted down and new guns were forged from the metal to the same design as the old. These are the guns that passed down the Deschain line to Roland. Other guns of similar design were forged from ordinary metal for the other gunslingers. They're the same design, but lacking the high quality metal and mystical properties of Eld's weapons.

The guns all looked similar although Eld's guns had that extra symbol mentioned in the books.

*Depending on whether or not you accept them as truly part of the novels continuity. There's no real reason not to in this instance as they don't contradict anything. In Wizard and Glass when Susan rescues the lads from the Sherrif's office, she seems to fire it in a double-action kind of way though. If I understand their operation correctly.

RUBE
07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
The odd thing of the "guns of the Eld" is that they would not be a true "old west" gun. In a world of psycotic trains, caves of rifles and guided hand grenades, and robots riding robot horses there is some "wiggle room" with the design.

Yeah, that's what I thought. According to the comics* they are single action revolvers like those of the old west though, but I don't see any reason why the cylinders couldn't pull out. (That being said, my knowledge of gun mechanics is pretty minimal so feel free to correct me there. I didn't ever know the difference between single action and double until a couple of years ago.)

You can remove the cylinder out of single-action revolvers to clean them or change cylinders but most load via a gate that opens on one side and forces you to load one chamber at a time. They normally do not have a cylinder that "swings" out (meaning it stays attached to the gun but flips out to one side at the push of a button so you can unload and load all six chambers at a time) like the Smith & Wesson's or old Colt 1917 revolvers do. The problem with it being the Colt 1917 is that they fire .45 acp which is made for semi-automatics and thus need a moon clip to load and then eject the spent rounds. Of course Lead Dealer would argue that moon clips are the reason Roland could load his gun so fast (I saw a web video of a man firing 12 shots with a six shot revolver in under 3 seconds with the help of a moon clip.) but King never mentions the clips. (That is unless he had the .45 auto rim rounds but were those made by the 1970s when he buys his ammo? I guess that just confuses the issue even more.)

JB, what is that revolver with the green stock. It looks like the Heritage Rough Rider .22 that I recently bought (with a different stock).

lead dealer
07-13-2009, 07:47 PM
One can only assume in a world that has moved on that there is more than one manufacturer and model of pistol!
To my knolage there is no common single action swing cylender avalable. The comics try, but are not done with tthe gun junkie in mind. And to make it worse, from an instructors standpoint! But few things are, I am the type of person who watches any t.v. show, movie, ect... and be able to find what is wrong with the firearm being used. My personel favorite is when someone is being thretend with a single action gun with the hammer down. Hammer down= gun dose not, can not fire. yet without cocking it, it fires in the next scene....
But they are trying. A lot of their firearm illistrations are of civil war (american) to turn of the century shooting irons. Looks like the illistrator just was looking for something "cool". For the most part they suceeded...
I got luckey. My wife has gotten into shooting. Got her away from shoues. The big ugly .45 webley in the pictures (without engraving) is hers. And if you have seen the "melons" thread, you will know how luckey I actualy am:drool:
That and she shoots better than half of the guys on my department. Yet in true gunslinger fashion favors the big revolvers.

Guns: The most stable currency out there, get more!!!!:shoot:

John Blaze
07-13-2009, 08:12 PM

You can remove the cylinder out of single-action revolvers to clean them or change cylinders but most load via a gate that opens on one side and forces you to load one chamber at a time. They normally do not have a cylinder that "swings" out (meaning it stays attached to the gun but flips out to one side at the push of a button so you can unload and load all six chambers at a time) like the Smith & Wesson's or old Colt 1917 revolvers do. The problem with it being the Colt 1917 is that they fire .45 acp which is made for semi-automatics and thus need a moon clip to load and then eject the spent rounds. Of course Lead Dealer would argue that moon clips are the reason Roland could load his gun so fast (I saw a web video of a man firing 12 shots with a six shot revolver in under 3 seconds with the help of a moon clip.) but King never mentions the clips. (That is unless he had the .45 auto rim rounds but were those made by the 1970s when he buys his ammo? I guess that just confuses the issue even more.)

Rube, i think you're confusing a speedloader (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedloader) with a moon clip (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_clip). They are similar, but the primary purpose of a moon clip was to hold rimless cartridges, such as .45 acp, in a revolver without them jiggling or sinking into the cylinder. A speedloader, on the other hand, is made for the express purpose of loading a revolver with speed, usually rimmed cartridges. However, there is now speedloaders for other semi-auto weapons, such as speed clips for sks's, or those things that push down the spring on a semi auto pistol magazine. However, the guy you're speaking about did it with a moon clip, as they have come far in differences of design in recent years. A speedloader doesn't stay with the ammo once you add it to the chamber, either.

JB, what is that revolver with the green stock. It looks like the Heritage Rough Rider .22 that I recently bought (with a different stock). It IS a Heritage Rough Rider, with a swapout .22 to .22 mag cylinder. It has the .22 mag cylinder in the photos, you can tell because it has no grooves in it, as opposed to the .22. The other gun in the photos is an italian Tangfolio, which also has swap out cylinders, except both calibers are grooved on the cylinder.

One thing we have to keep in mind is that SK didn't do much research into guns, or the differences between double action or single action revolvers.
Alot of people choose to explain this away by stating "it's a different dimension/universe, you don't know how their guns can be designed" but I consider this to be naivette and don't believe it myself.

RUBE
07-14-2009, 02:32 PM
While I am fairly new to hand guns and could be mistaken, I am pretty sure that it was a full moon clip with .45 acp the man used. I found a comment about it from a online gun forum:

Preacherman
August 2nd, 2003, 07:38 AM
This was Jerry Miculek, who now holds the world record for this and rather a lot of other revolver-related stuff. Also, one of the world's original nice guys...

He used a S&W 625 in .45 ACP with moon clips for this record shoot. His time for the 12 shots (including reload) was just under 3 seconds. He also used a S&W Performance Center Model 627 revolver to fire 8 rounds in .99 of a second!

You should look up the video on YouTube. It is pretty damn impressive. I would put a link to it but I could not find it right away. I have found some other rather impressive ones though.

EDIT: Whoops, I see now that you did agree with me about Miculek using the moon clip.

BTW, that is the gun I have except for the stock. It is a fun gun to just go out and shoot and I think that it was probably a good choice for me to start with. I have found that I can shoot a lot more accurately with the .22 magnums than the .22 long rifles. Also, I just noticed that Heritage has come out with a .357 that looks almost exactly like it. It is not a bad price either so who knows...

John Blaze
07-14-2009, 03:15 PM
actually, it is a bad price. You can get a Ruger Vaquero for almost the same price. And a Ruger Vaquero is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better gun. It's my next investment. A Rough Rider can run you about 400-500 dollars for a .357, and a Vaquero can run you about 450-650 for pretty much any caliber between .357 and .45 Colt, so the price difference is minimal, but the difference in quality is like the sun and the moon. Trust me.

And i have the video on my youtube favorites, as well as Bob Munden. If you don't know who Bob Munden is, allow me to show you. He IS a bit conceited tho.
YouTube - Bob Munden

here's the one you were talking about. it is very impressive. However, you must realize he's shooting a double action, with moon clips. It is still badass tho. :D
YouTube - World's fastest handgun shooter

RUBE
07-14-2009, 03:33 PM
actually, it is a bad price. You can get a Ruger Vaquero for almost the same price. And a Ruger Vaquero is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better gun. It's my next investment. A Rough Rider can run you about 400-500 dollars for a .357, and a Vaquero can run you about 450-550, so the price difference is minimal, but the difference in quality is like the sun and the moon. Trust me.

And i have the video on my youtube favorites, as well as Bob Munden. If you don't know who Bob Munden is, allow me to show you. He IS a bit conceited tho.

here's the one you were talking about. it is very impressive. However, you must realize he's shooting a double action, with moon clips. It is still badass tho. :D

The Heritage was $399 but I was worried that it would be a case of "you get what you pay for." I did not know the Vaquero could be as cheap as $450. I would definitely prefer to get a Ruger. Of course, I am not sure that I will even get a .357.

As for Munden, he must be a little conceited to carry a golden gun but he is just as impressive. And, yes, I realized that Miculek was firing a double-action. I would never want to piss off either of these guys no matter what type of gun they had on them though.

John Blaze
07-14-2009, 04:02 PM
after looking it up i realized the vaqueros can run 450 - 650, but that's still not bad, depending on the caliber you want. I buy most of my guns on gunbroker.com, and I routinely see them there for around 450+

Brice
07-14-2009, 04:56 PM
That Mundren guy is one arrogant son of a bitch. He's crazy good though. Although my money is on him shooting blind where he supposedly uses the diamond's reflection. He just knows where to shoot.

John Blaze
07-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah, he was doing an appearance here in Roswell about 6 months ago, but I had to work. He's pretty skilled.

Brice
07-14-2009, 05:03 PM
I couldn't go to one of his shows. He'd shoot me about three hundred times before I finished telling him what an arrogant bitch he is. :cyclops:

John Blaze
07-14-2009, 05:10 PM
:lol:

lead dealer
07-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Well gentelmen,

glad this is generating some discussion.

You would be happyer with the ruger, so many coustom parts out there now. But have yet to get a heratage arms gun into the shop. They feel cheap.... If you want to go on the cheap(er) Try a second hand blackhawk or super blackhawk. I got my pristeine .45LC pre 72' blackhawk in the factory box for $275. Just keep loooking, their only drawback is that they use more modern sights rather than the traditional sights used on the vaquero.

Well the national matches are going on at camp perry, the pistol portion soon. We will see how he (Mr. Mundren) can stack up against the best the country has to offer. Fast shooter, but can he hit what he is shooting at?

Ruskie doctrine: Put enough lead out there, you will hit something.....

lead dealer
07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Bullets

Here are two pictures of some rounds out of the collection

.45 Auto Rim
The loose, fat rimmed rounds are the ".45 auto rim". They are known as this due to the fat rim of the cartrage caseing. This cartrage was developed in the 1920's to replace the use of the moon clip in the 1917 sereis revolver. The loading data, and most of the dies (with the exception of the shell plate) is identical to the legondary .45 acp.

.45 ACP
This round was made to replace the blackpowder .45 long colt around the turn of the century. The blackpowder round was brought out of retirement for use in the philippens. Where it was found that the issue .38 long colt (almost like a modern 38 s&w) was unable to stop a sword weilding morrow warrior before he hacks you to death and bleeds out on top of your corpse. The old colt SSA's were taken out of the national guard armories and reissued to the frount line (occupation) troops. The war department (always a day late and 73 cents short) realiseing that they cannot issue out an "oboslete" gun with an equaly elderly cartrage.... What would the europeans, who are adopting semi autos say? The horror...... Started the trials for the new .45 service pistol.
So, one can say the .45 acp was developed with the intention of dropping a hopped up, sword weilding maniac. With one shot....

Here are some modern JHP self defence loads from my house gun. these are in what is known as the "full moon" clip. This contains all 6 rounds. The half moon contains 3 and the quarter 2.

John Blaze
07-15-2009, 03:12 PM
not a wheel gun, but this is my newest addition.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/BrunoBaca/hats014.jpg

it's a Taurus 24/7 oss in 9mm. I wanted a .40, but I bought it for my wife, and taking that and ammo being so expensive these days made me decide on a 9mm.

PS I talked to my uncle today that owed me 50 dollars on the heritage rough rider .22. I sold it to him for 200, he had only given me 150 to date, but since he can't pay me he's gonna give it back to me with 2 boxes of ammo (one box of .22 and another box of .22 mag) for only 100 :excited:

isn't that exciting?

oy-the-brave
07-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Here is a pic of my Ruger Vaquero 45.

Right or wrong this is what I see when I think of a Gunslinger gun.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/ruger.jpg

lead dealer
07-15-2009, 09:18 PM
It is a nice gun, the rugers keep improving with age. What caliber is this one .45LC or .357? It will give you many years of faithfull service.

More food for thought. As I was drawing my 9mm from the armory and going to the clearing barrel. I was thinking, I geuss this is this generations gunslingers gun.... How very wanting......
We seem to think of rolands world and his armerment in our worlds terms. We think, Gunslingers: perdominat in the american push west from the 1860's to the turn of the century. So they would be equiped with the equipment of that era. Hence why the quintessential weapon would be the large bore, single action pistol.
Now you have a world (rolands)much like that time in our history, but they came back to that time from a more advanced time. The peices are laying around, but the ablity or knolage to use them has gone. Roland and the gunslinger class could have very well been armed with Glock .45's or any modern polymer framed pistol or anything down to even flintlock pistols, But the wheel guns were chosen. I beleive Si King did this for good reason.
From a manufacture standpoint the all steel and wood revolvers were a good choice in a world "picking up the peices". Manufacture of a single action revolver would be relitivley symple, and manufacture of a double action swing cylender would not be that much more difficult. The internal lock work is much like a combination of a lock and a wind up clock. The rapidly reloading swing cylender would be the equivlent of having a semi auto in a world of bolt actions. They do the same job, just one is better at it.
Another thing to concider would be the ammo.Ammo concistancy is the key to relyable operation of any semi auto or automatic firearm. There is no mention of heavy industry/ arsenels turning out quantitys of consistant ammunition. So the rounds avalable were of varying quality and power levels. Bad news to an automatic. But the revolvers, operating by only mecanical means would function just fine with this inconstant ammo, where as the automatic would manulfunction consistantly. They can make a semi-modern (to our current world) revolver, but they can not make paper! The mind boggles!!

More rambelings from the gun junkie.....

oy-the-brave
07-15-2009, 09:39 PM
It is a nice gun, the rugers keep improving with age. What caliber is this one .45LC or .357? It will give you many years of faithfull service.....

It is a .45LC

lead dealer
07-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Ahh, a true cowboy caliber.:cowboy:
They make some really good loads for that now. After taurus introduced the judge revolver the venerable .45LC is reguarded as a deffence load again. There are even some hydra shoick type rounds out there for it. Gan only knows what they want for a box of those by now.

John Blaze
07-16-2009, 02:32 AM
i paid 27 dollars for 20 rounds of hydraschock yesterday.

:pullhair:

i wish the war was over. The prices would come down then.

John Blaze
07-16-2009, 02:33 AM

beautiful gun. Wood grips?

RUBE
07-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Nice guns JB and Oy.

JB, I have read some people on the internet saying not to get a Taurus but since you bought one you obviously feel different about that. What led you to go that way instead of a Sig, Springfield, S&W or something else?

Also, I am glad that you are getting your .22 back. Sounds like you are coming out ahead in the deal.

oy-the-brave
07-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Yeah they are aftermarket grips, walnut, couldn't find any sandalwood :nope:

John Blaze
07-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Nice guns JB and Oy.

JB, I have read some people on the internet saying not to get a Taurus but since you bought one you obviously feel different about that. What led you to go that way instead of a Sig, Springfield, S&W or something else? Well the older Taurus's aren't too great, but not because they lack in quality. My brother has a Taurus PT92, and it's a decent gun, but I don't like the trigger pull and the grip feels too fat for a 9mm. My Taurus is from the new generation, and I can't remember ever shooting a smoother gun. It's quality is on par with anything you quoted, if not surpassed.

Yeah they are aftermarket grips, walnut, couldn't find any sandalwood :nope:
There's a really cool website that has rosewood, sandalwood, and pretty much anything you'd like, beautiful custom made grips for vaqueros, but they start at about 170. So yeah. Is yours the old vaquero or the new one? It looks like the newer ones to me, but I'm not sure.

Also, A vaquero is what I picture when I think of a gunslinger gun.

dr shottie
07-19-2009, 07:41 AM
boom i have the sound of thunder in my hands

John Blaze
07-19-2009, 11:25 AM
guess what fellas? I got the gun yesterday. SO now I have the green handled rough rider back, and it's in the same condition I sold it. My uncle says he went and shot it once.

I'm so lucky.

lead dealer
07-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Always good to have firepower back.

Not so much the war that drove the prices up. It surely has not helped. But it (the war) Has mainly effected the avalability and price of millitary calibers. The current price gouging is due to a panicked shooting public, buying and hording, uncertain about the future avalability of said product. Driving up the price up, way up......:cry:
Even the prices of primers and power have trippled....

Change...............:nope:

klobbrus
07-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Greetings.
I am currently on page 6 of this thread and was wondering a few things:

Since, on Rolands level of the Tower, the guns of Eld were modeled after the guns of that day (1000 years before Roland, approx.), yet at the same time the old ones/great old ones were either just dying out or had just died out, it would reason that the people of that day (when the guns of eld were made) had access to double action revolvers. Since this is highly possible, they could have used pieces from different styles of guns to make a truly one of a kind gun.

From the texts, we can infer a few things from what (maybe incorrectly) Sai King described the guns could do:

The 'fanning of the trigger' could be a reference to a trigger like a derringer style (with no trigger guard) http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/pistols/armpr/arm213.jpg. This would allow very fast shooting as the trigger could be a hairpin pull.

The revolver is, I believe, a double action, as the reference of 'swung the cylinder OUT' after releasing the latch.

As for the references to the gun being very large, I envisioned (and indeed prefer) the look of the Ruger GP100, mainly for the barrel, which is large and fearsome! (http://www.northwoodsports.com/images/Ruger%20GP100%20357%20Magnum.jpg) Also, if you have ever held one of these fine Rugers, it has quite a hefty feel to it! The thickness of the barrel adds quite a image to the gun, especially in the 6 inch barrel!

In a bit of a tangent, if anyone has seen the anime Trigun, the main character, Vash uses a large revolver that has the same 'thick barrel' style of the GP100, but with what I find is an interesting curved sighting on the top. (http://crimsonsguns.tripod.com/vashstudio.jpg) This gun is a break action, with the gun actually breaking in half and the empty casings popping out to allow new shells to be loaded! Nice!

This thread has been great and I await the thoughts on my post!

klobbrus
07-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Greetings.

After my last post I was browsing around and found quite possibly the best example of Rolands big revolvers. The following is an exact replica found in a dumpster in New York!
http://www.vincelewis.net/bigrevolver.html

I was shocked as to how close it came to the giant revolvers I imagined the Gunslingers packed. Imagine staring down one of those big guns!

Step one: Pee pants
Step Two: Enter the clearing at the end of the path!

osseolax28
07-27-2009, 06:40 PM
thats an 1858 pietta i think. those guns i invision the gunslingers (at least roland) using also. even tho the cylinder doesnt swing out on those, i like to imagine that they do haha.
if i could i would custom build one so the cylinder did swing out, that would be sweet!

klobbrus
07-27-2009, 06:51 PM
My point with the previous post was that the revolvers could have been modeled after the 'best' of many different types of revolvers that the smithies had access to. Say the trigger of this, the hammer of that, the convenience of double action with the smooth handling of a truly customized weapon that was truly made to kill faster, better, and more accurate than anything else ever made (the guns of Eld I mean)

John Blaze
07-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Like in the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

nice thought, quite possible.

lead dealer
07-27-2009, 07:52 PM
My wonderfully repressive filter has blocked yet another page.... If it is an 1858 remington or an 1860 colt (monsterous guns they be) They are also cap and ball guns. I.E. they do not take a cartrage, just loose powder and ball. Also as mentioned the cylenders are not easly removeable. Hence making anything close to a rapid reload impossable. The glories of the pistols used in the civil war is what they were used for after the war. They were cheap obsolete surplus, they went west. Endoured many "blacksmith" conversions to take a cartrage, some even to become a swing cylender... However with the work involved... you would be better off with one of the monsterous pre turn of the century colts!

"fanning the trigger" or to be more accurately, "fanning the hammer" Is done with most single action guns. It involves holding the trigger back and rapidly hitting the hammer with the blade of your hand. This not only cocks it (it will not lock back due to the trigger being pulled rearward) it also spinns the cylender. So every time the hand goes up from the rearward hammer, it goes down firing the weapon. This produces a high volume of fire that rivals a good semi auto. Not accurate to say the least, but usualy when theis tecnique is used, your enemys are close enough accuracy is no longer an issue.

Think of the gunslingers guns, not as firearms, but as a martial arts weapon. Much symilar to the samuri sword in japan. It was made to the best of the craftsmans abylity, than per user, it is coustomized and modified to fit them better. And each gunslinger would have had what he wanted, weither it be a "pop top" (early smith&Wesson or webley) or a swing cylender (Colt and later S&W). Single action or double... Remember the tecnology was there, but the abylity to put it to use or replicate it was not. That is probably why Aurthur Elid was not carring a polmer framed "space" gun.

klobbrus
07-27-2009, 08:27 PM
My wonderfully repressive filter has blocked yet another page.... If it is an 1858 remington or an 1860 colt (monsterous guns they be) They are also cap and ball guns. I.E. they do not take a cartrage, just loose powder and ball. Also as mentioned the cylenders are not easly removeable. Hence making anything close to a rapid reload impossable. The glories of the pistols used in the civil war is what they were used for after the war. They were cheap obsolete surplus, they went west. Endoured many "blacksmith" conversions to take a cartrage, some even to become a swing cylender... However with the work involved... you would be better off with one of the monsterous pre turn of the century colts!

"fanning the trigger" or to be more accurately, "fanning the hammer" Is done with most single action guns. It involves holding the trigger back and rapidly hitting the hammer with the blade of your hand. This not only cocks it (it will not lock back due to the trigger being pulled rearward) it also spinns the cylender. So every time the hand goes up from the rearward hammer, it goes down firing the weapon. This produces a high volume of fire that rivals a good semi auto. Not accurate to say the least, but usualy when theis tecnique is used, your enemys are close enough accuracy is no longer an issue.

Think of the gunslingers guns, not as firearms, but as a martial arts weapon. Much symilar to the samuri sword in japan. It was made to the best of the craftsmans abylity, than per user, it is coustomized and modified to fit them better. And each gunslinger would have had what he wanted, weither it be a "pop top" (early smith&Wesson or webley) or a swing cylender (Colt and later S&W). Single action or double... Remember the tecnology was there, but the abylity to put it to use or replicate it was not. That is probably why Aurthur Elid was not carring a polmer framed "space" gun.

when I envisioned the fanning of the trigger the image that came to mind was of a trigger that had no trigger guard, like a derringer style hairpin pull. If you used that type of trigger with a double action revolver it would allow for almost instantaneous shooting!

lead dealer
07-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Dear sir,

I have actualy tried that, the trigger will only go foreward if the hammer is completely in the rear position and locked. If anything it is slower than the method I described.

Again only something a gunsmith would know, or whatever nutjob willing to try some rapid fire (yep that was me...)

Your off to a good start.

:thumbsup:

klobbrus
07-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Dear sir,

I have actualy tried that, the trigger will only go foreward if the hammer is completely in the rear position and locked. If anything it is slower than the method I described.

Again only something a gunsmith would know, or whatever nutjob willing to try some rapid fire (yep that was me...)

Your off to a good start.

:thumbsup:

Nice! Well I figured if the gun was a double action with the guardless trigger it would speed things up, but I have seen videos on YouTube of speedshooting that would make it almost pointless as you could simply train your hands toove like lightning!

lead dealer
08-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Well I can not let a good gun thread fade into obscurity..... Anyone else have some inpuit, am enjoying the good back and fourth....:shoot:

more rambelings from the gun junkie of the tower....

dagwood
09-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Does anyone have a picture of an SAA type gun already with the engraving on the barrel?

osseolax28
09-05-2009, 08:15 PM
somebody who is really good with photoshop should make one of the guns that is most accurate to the books and post it up. that would be cool. like a 3-d thing, with the cylinder swung out and differnt views from differnt angles.

blaine
09-06-2009, 12:12 AM
i have always imagined that the guns were based on a real world gun but slightly 'off' , in the same way we have nozz-a-la instead of cola etc etc

i'm not sure why but also i felt that as the books went on the guns became more and more 'magical' , i mean where does roland get his ammo from?

osseolax28
09-06-2009, 08:21 AM
he bought a bunch in The Drawing. it was when he was Jack Mort and he brought the ammo back

blaine
09-06-2009, 12:15 PM
im sure one day someone will work out how many shots he makes in the series, but could he really carry all the ammo he needs?

osseolax28
09-06-2009, 01:19 PM
im sure his belts were always filled after a fight scene, he also had his pack where im sure he kept the rest.

IWasSentWest
09-06-2009, 02:28 PM
something like this...because roland is a badass and could carry two of these, no problem

Kidd Ikarus
09-06-2009, 03:56 PM
There is actually a picture of his gun in the Treachery series of comics. It is when Steven Deschain is still in possession of the guns. There isn't any scrollwork on the gun itself, but it does have the Eld Sigul on the barrel.

Jean
09-06-2009, 10:54 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif

RUBE
09-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I believe that we decided further back in this thread that Roland reloaded his own ammo which would explain why they ruined so easy when they got wet. A reloaded round is ruined easier because it is not sealed as well as a factory produced round. Of course this is just the ammo he used before the start of the books and in the first book. After the Drawing of the Three, Roland is using the ammo he bought. I think if you added it up he probably did not use 150 rounds through the big revolvers. If any should have ran out, it would have been the Ruger because Jake fired at least 27 just fighting the Wolves. Jake only brought a box of 50 rounds that was nearly full.

lead dealer
09-08-2009, 04:29 AM
And we never knew what morel of ruger that jake brought back with him, Was it the .22 target pistol or one of rugers bigger semi auto offerings?

How may boxes of ammo can you fit in your shorts and jump in front of a subway and not loose any? 4 boxes? five? at 50 rounds a box.......... And how many dose he have per belt to start with? 2 gunbelts, anywhere from 30 to 80 rounds a belt..... Than how may "wets" were there?.......

The mind boggles.....

lead dealer
09-08-2009, 04:37 AM
The comics are good. But they are not what you would want to rely on for accuracy. Have seen obviously black powder revolvers suddenly ave caseings removed from them. They are good, and for the most part close. If you are looking for an engraved single action army, check out the colt custom shop or most gun collector sights. There are a lot of really pretty single action armys out there.

Oh yea, some of your answers may be found in the "gunslinger's guns" thread....

More ramblings from another professional gun junkie on another level of the tower...

Claude Clay
09-08-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm shy on the details now, but i remember when reading about Jake's ruger and the time he met up with Roland i looked up some old catalogs. Ruger only made the Mk. 1 22 LR in that and previous years.

as for Roland reloading, certainly before the start of things in the desert. from that point in time forward--me thinks not.

and concerning water tight reloads--neck tension alone is adequate in our world. but given that the wet rounds came with him from home it is likely that the brass had been reloaded so many times it had lost enough of its tension and became susceptible to water. I'm thinking they were loaded with something like the lee load kits that use a hammer rather than a bullet press.

keyframe
09-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Here's a good link about the grips.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.galtsguns.com/acuglocks/DSCN2827.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.galtsguns.com/gunsgunsguns8.htm&usg=__5gE8KPXW4LC_5bO4C1tNjjYVE4k=&h=530&w=732&sz=64&hl=en&start=2&sig2=cXdRBJbnn5ntMYF21f5gog&tbnid=AfmLd4dcS_JHIM:&tbnh=102&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpistol%2Bsandalwood%2Bgrip%26hl%3Den% 26safe%3Doff&ei=jyqnSpiHO5GktwfbiYWZCA

lead dealer
09-09-2009, 04:29 AM
Ruger made some larger semi autos rather early on, they were short lived and surfaced ever so often. They had extreme reliability issues and were pulled on and off of the catalog.
Not sure however when they were being introduced. they were a mainstay by the early 80's.

You would be surprised how non water tight reloads actually are. There is a reason why the commies paint their primers and case necks, and that is with factory ammo! Reloads according to the lee company should be fired within a few years of manufacture, over time air gets into the caseing with the powder along with the possibility of moisture.
I have found that storage has a lot to do with how long munition lasts. Hept in a cardboard box in a non temperature controlled environment, you start getting misfires in a decade plus. Hence why ammo lasts only a short time in the middle east,Africa and S. America. On the other hand you seal the ammo in a lead can and keep it in some place like a cave. Well that turkish 8mm that hit the market a few years ago dates from 1938 and is still as hard kicking now as it was when manufactured.
Rideing around on a persons body exposed to the weather and elements is possibly the worst thing that you could do to a cartridge. But needed if you want to shoot them. Bullet dose not do you a lot of good in a box when you need it in a fire fight dose it?

Blankstare
09-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi, new here:

I know I'm comming to this discussion a little late, but I've always thought of Roland's "big" revolvers along the lines of my Ruger Bisley .45

http://www.teraasekeskus.com/images/extra/RugerBisley2.jpg As you can see (and if you've ever held one you know) it's bigger than the standard Colt Single Action Army or "Peacemaker"............Of course it doesn't have swing out cylinders, but then, I always thought of that as King's general ignorance of firearms.

I also have a predelection to the "man with no name gun"

http://www.teraasekeskus.com/tuotteet.asp?osasto=pistoolit&ID=3084

I like this one, because the inspiration for Roland came from the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns and this is "The" Gun.

lead dealer
09-17-2009, 04:22 AM
Well you are off to a good start.....

blaine
09-17-2009, 04:51 AM
blankstare thats pretty close to what i imagined in my head when i picture rolands guns.

Blankstare
09-17-2009, 09:49 PM
I believe that we decided further back in this thread that Roland reloaded his own ammo which would explain why they ruined so easy when they got wet. A reloaded round is ruined easier because it is not sealed as well as a factory produced round.

Not to be argumentative, but........

I reload my own ammo for .45 Colt (go price some and you'll see why) with the right crimping die, you can equal or exceed factory ammunition. Water has a nasty habit of getting into everything given the right conditions. Bullets as a general rule are not waterproof.

Of course I Try to ignore these technicalities and try to focus more on how to draw a 7 1/2 inch barreled single action revolver from my holster with lightning speed and shoot anything with any accuracy without really aiming!!! :excited:

blaine
09-17-2009, 11:09 PM
http://www.teraasekeskus.com/images/extra/RugerBisley2.jpg As you can see (and if you've ever held one you know) it's bigger than the standard Colt Single Action Army or "Peacemaker"............Of course it doesn't have swing out cylinders, but then, I always thought of that as King's general ignorance of firearms.

lead dealer
09-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Well it is possible, but to do it you would have to be 7 feet tall to start........

All I have t say from the professional instructor standpoint.....

Natural point of aim, and a lot of practice......

Blankstare
09-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Of course I was being facetious...:shoot:.....somewhere between fantasy and reality.....But, in my own backyard with paper targets and waterfilled milk jugs............I am the man...:cool:

One thing I will say, the recoil from the standard 45 Colt is very manageable and it makes a big hole.......I wonder what Roland used to reload his ammo before he found the doors? Did he carry a Lee Loader and cast his own bullets?.............the questions never cease.

Cort
09-20-2009, 01:22 PM
something like this...because roland is a badass and could carry two of these, no problem

Awesom IWSW i was laughing my ass off :thumbsup:

lead dealer
09-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Ahh, in the early days they made a hand held press. Is essentially a shell holder with a lever attached to a plunger that pushes the primer in place. the bullet was seated with a die that would be pounded into place. Deprimeing was done with a punch..... Not conductive for long cartridge life.... Or good case necks....

lead dealer
10-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Did we not have a thread ranting about Rolands ammo issues?....

I am going to have to look.....

:excited:

BillyxRansom
10-18-2009, 10:52 PM
My view:

http://freshhiphopnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/Ice_Cube_01.jpg

MacarDeschain
11-13-2009, 12:13 PM
I have shot black powder most of my Life and have done a lot of historical reenactment. Shoot my First gun at three Ruger Blackhawk (yes my dad was holding me up) Setting aside all mistakes Si Kings made of guns in the sires. I always saw the guns as colt walker conversion. Because of how big every one say how big the guns are in the books. I mean 5bls load and the most powerful had gun till the .357 magnum. http://shotdoc.com/images/Walker%20Colt.jpg http://www.buffaloarms.com/prodimg/KK1847U.jpg

Claude Clay
11-15-2009, 07:44 AM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2194/12049078944680801.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/i/12049078944680801.jpg/)

this is what the early peoples used to reload when away from town.
rather fits with Roland's style and water proof it ain't

reloaded ammo from my Dillon press occasionally gets washed and a trip through the drier.
my mrs never checks my pockets!
comes out real shinny and still fires like nothing happened.

machine vs a true hand load

lead dealer
11-16-2009, 05:39 AM
I should upgrade to a dyilion than. Maybe just for the calender.. But the reloads out of my lee are not that water tight. Soft lead dose not seem to create that good of a seal. Heck I have had old factory ammo that went "FFFFFFfffffff" rather than bang. Mind you it was some abused lake city that was hanging off a M240 in Mosul for a few mouths... Thank god it was on the range.... It all depends on how it is abused and how good your cases are...

nice old hand press. Almost impossible to resize the cases without a bench! hope the cylinders on Roland's guns are still true and have no distortions that would play havoc with the fired cases.

Humm, a Walker with a .44mag conversion cylinder.... That could be fun. Absolute #$%^ to reload, but fun. Thought about getting one of those for my 1860 army, but have not tracked one down that would work well for me. Anyone have any input on these?

MacarDeschain
11-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Humm, a Walker with a .44mag conversion cylinder.... That could be fun. Absolute #$%^ to reload, but fun. Thought about getting one of those for my 1860 army, but have not tracked one down that would work well for me. Anyone have any input on these?

Try These links, There costly but when it comes to guns whats not.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=Conversion+Cylinder&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=dG8BS9SNI4-KMdLcjIkI&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCUQrQQwAw

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9488/Product/REVOLVER_CARTRIDGE_CONVERSION_CYLINDER

I do not much like R and D do to the way you have to take the cylinder off to reload. But I hope this will get you started.

John Blaze
11-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Gunbroker.com is a good place to find parts as well.

I'm thinking about ordering me a couple of TT-33's right now. Very affordable guns, ammo is dirt cheap, and they're similar enough to a 9mm that my wife and I can plink all day and it'll help her stay sharp with her 9.

Ammo is dirt cheap, I'm finding 1224 rounds for 129 bucks. :O amazing.

lead dealer
11-17-2009, 05:03 AM
OUtch, the conversion cylinders cost more than what I payed for the pistols... If I could find the plans, I would make one from an existing cap and ball cylinder, A true "blacksmith conversion"... Just need the plans. Most of the original cartridge conversions have you still removing the cylinder to load them, or the frame is highly modified for a loading gate.

Gunbroker and Ebay, the bane of my existence... of course!

You will be happy with the tt-33's good guns, I have own several. Thin, easy to handel, A ball to shoot. Just watch out for the 7.62x25 you get avoid the yougo stuff it is loaded way to hot for the torkrev. And if needed there are 9mm conversion barrels out there.
Just be carefully where you shoot it. it is a rather "fast" round clocking at from 1800 to 2600 fps! Depending on its loading. Some ranges do not like the new little wholes in their steel backstops.....than there is the splash back.... but if you need to punch through light armor......:excited:

John Blaze
11-17-2009, 07:09 AM
lol, I'm glad. I wouldn't get the 9mm conversion anyway.

1, my wife and I already have 9's.

2. 7.62x25 ammo is DIRT CHEAP!

:)

Claude Clay
11-17-2009, 09:19 AM
7.62x25 ammo is DIRT CHEAP!

now, yes.
so buy 2 cases cause it will be double $ soon

CZ 52 is a better value--2 for the price of a tok,
it will handle the hotter SMG ammo,
1911 holsters fit it, and
the 9mm bbl is a drop in part.

you are aware that mil-surp ammo for these guns are corrosive?
and that being supersonic, many indoor ranges ban it

John Blaze
11-18-2009, 12:22 AM
2 for the price of a Tok? Where? I've seen CZ-82's for the same price, but 52's tend to be more expensive.

lead dealer
11-18-2009, 05:46 AM
The CZ-52's were cheaper a few years ago, the supply has dried up, now they cost as much or more than the tt-33's that are flooding the market for the dealer price of around $200.And the si-fy looking cz is no where near as classy as as the browning knockoff TT-33. Still would not recommend either for carry due to its cartridge. Well unless you are going after persons in body armor....

The cz82's are nice, for a mutant macraov. A good cheap carry pistol if needed.

Century arms so far has the best price for 7.62x25, bought the case of the cheap cracked neck stuff, late production, just had sizeing issues with the polish machinery I suppose. Works fine in all pistols, including my cranky C-96 broomhandel. Some short recoils out of my newish CZ-52. But the springs are rather new and the ammo is on the lighter end of the spectrum.
As far as corrosive, the bulgarian stuff (in 16 round packs) is. But any ammo from the 60 and newer should all be (assuming it is eastern block) all non corrosive. I don't know,exactly what dates witch country switched over. I use gunzilla, takes out the corrosive salts and cleans the bore. a CLP that actually works!....

John Blaze
11-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Cool. I buy my ammo from different sources, but I like sportsman's guide, cheaper than dirt, Natchez, and aimsurplus. I only order non corrosive, I'm not big on cleaning my guns. I've had my shotgun 6 years, I hunt with it on every bird season, and I have yet to clean it. :)

I'd rather have a TT-33. I don't concealed carry though. I was gonna go get a license, but I have no real reason other than cool factor, and cool factor is not enough. At home I always have one or 2 guns locked and loaded, and my wife is always prepared while I'm at work, but other than travel or hunting, I don't see a need for daily carry.

However, if I did, I'd like either a Llama, or a Star. They are great trustworthy guns, slim, and dependable. Also, mini 1911 clones in a single stack are the best.

Jean
11-18-2009, 12:56 PM
sorry guys, are we still talking about the gunslinger's guns???

John Blaze
11-18-2009, 08:09 PM
yeah, i guess we need to make a different thread for Our Gunslinger Tools. If I make one, can you transfer the stuff from this thread that's not relevant?

Jean
11-19-2009, 05:16 AM
yes, only you got to clearly indicate to me the place where, in your opinion, you started digressing http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

John Blaze
11-19-2009, 06:35 AM
wow, that's hard. maybe two pages ago? someone posted a picture of 3 revolvers, and then it became a weapons thread. :P let me check it out and I'll post the link of the exact post.

*edit*

that's gonna be kind of impossible. we did alot of back and forth. However, I'm pretty sure the whole last page was our guns. If it doesn't bother you too much, we can just let be, and move on from here.

Gun665
01-09-2010, 08:29 AM
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll274/Gun665/littlethings-1.jpg?t=1263054498

Little help for a newbie? :)

To be more specific, if anyone has a nice pic of the scrollwork engraving of Arthur Eld's mark on the barrel of the gunslinger's revolver that'd be really helpful as I'm stuck at work and I do not have my copy of the comix in front of me at the moment to look - and I'm actually looking to take my SA Beretta out to an engraver this weekend so I can get this mark on the barrel because I love the Dark Tower series so much.

I found this one on the net but I'd really like to see how it's placed on the barrel and in what direction because the only pics I see on this site seem to show that the mark is backwards(?)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h248/captwinters991/The%20Dark%20Tower/814494988714.jpg

Thanks in advance!

-Marcus

haw3ye
01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Interesting and COOL!

Did you photoshop that image or did you actually beat me to engraving the sigul of the Eld on a revolver of your own? ;)

haw3ye
01-21-2010, 11:56 AM
EIDT: Double post

lead dealer
01-22-2010, 08:25 AM
nice!

Stamping or engraving?

Gun665
01-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Interesting and COOL!

Did you photoshop that image or did you actually beat me to engraving the sigul of the Eld on a revolver of your own? ;)

I actually had it laser engraved at a jewelry store. They also engraved a rose in the grips for me.

Gun665
01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
nice!

Stamping or engraving?

Laser engraved

Gun665
01-27-2010, 01:18 PM
This image shows the grip detail (rose)
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll274/Gun665/197_9759.jpg?t=1264627017

jwill
01-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Those two engravings are awesome ive been looking around for a revolver for about a yr now but with me having my first child it was kind of hard to afford what i was wanting( ruger blackhawk or maybe the vaquero). but that is exactly what i was wanting to get done if i ever puchased one.

Gun665
02-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Those two engravings are awesome ive been looking around for a revolver for about a yr now but with me having my first child it was kind of hard to afford what i was wanting( ruger blackhawk or maybe the vaquero). but that is exactly what i was wanting to get done if i ever puchased one.

I had a dream about this pistol 10 years ago. It was worth the wait.
It's an EAA Bounty Hunter .45 SAA with a 4.5 inch barrel. First firearm I ever purchased for myself.
:cowboy:

lead dealer
02-16-2010, 01:23 PM
You two are off to a really good start.

Do not discount a used revolver. I got a lovely used blackhawk for around $300 in the box without a scratch. If there are any problems or the finish is worn, there are many ways to fix them. And that is half the fun.:thumbsup:

A good sixgun will still defend home and hearth quite well.

Randall Flagg
02-16-2010, 03:25 PM
We are going to merge this with the Gunslinger's Guns thread in Gilead.
Thanks.

lead dealer
02-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Once again, my input seems to be the death of a thread....:doh:

Claude Clay
02-18-2010, 09:10 PM
lead dealer--ua didn't kill it; just a flesh wound

....i have knowledge the SK knew from whence he spoke concerning

fanning the trigger (hint--goes to a gentleman of our world's post depression)

drum roll----and that his guns were modeled after the Colt Lighting double action but with a swing out cylinder:a melding of two worlds.

i should be able to type this all up by the week end:thumbsup:

Brice
02-19-2010, 06:01 AM
Once again, my input seems to be the death of a thread....:doh:

Actually this is the criteria the staff uses when determining if it's time to kill a thread: Did lead dealer just finish posting in it? :P :P :P

Just kidding, of course!

lead dealer
02-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Coup de Gras possibly?

the colt lightning (double action) with a swing cylinder became the colt new service. At least according to the colt production line. :orely:

Legion
03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
This is what gun I'm going to try to get to have the etching put on.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/150256_large.jpg

It's chambered in .45LC and is a SA/DA. When I think of Roland's gun, this is what I see with a bit more engraving on them.

lead dealer
03-09-2010, 06:14 AM
That is a good choice!

Might not want the target model, they snag when clearing the holster.Big hi profile sights. Go with the non adjustable sights, more traditional, quicker draw...:shoot:

Do not forget about the rosewood grips!:cool:

Delacroix
03-09-2010, 01:37 PM
I picture Roland's guns as 2 PIETTA REMINGTON 1858 .44 with octagonal canon.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5381/16961.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/16961.jpg/)

lead dealer
03-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Yes, but they are black powder "cap and ball" guns.

But they certainly meet the size and ruggedness factor......