PDA

View Full Version : The Gunslinger's Guns - General Discussion

Pages : 1 [2]

Delacroix
03-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Oh, sure. Here I just speak about the aspect. This gun doesn't even match the caliber described in the book.

lead dealer
03-11-2010, 05:06 AM
No gun actually matches the "45 winchester" described in the book. The only .45 caliber pistol round with the "winchester" legend is .45 winchester magnum. It is a rimless auto pistol round, hence not suitable for revolver use.

One of the Italian reproduction company's makes a .45 cartridge conversion of this revolver. That might be the gun for you!

Brainslinger
03-13-2010, 02:34 PM
I imagine them with the barrel length of that Remmington certainly. They tend to make a big deal about the size in the books.

lead dealer
03-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Yep, the 7 inch plus length barrels are impressive, accurate, but unless you are over 6 foot tall, slow on the draw...

I am 5"10" and drawing my 7inch barreld 1860 colt army gives me fits! The gun was desighned when the pistol was clearly secondary to the saber! The modern "spin and present" that is tought in most combat pistol classes, including the ones I teach, simply dose not work! Now that is for your average in 1940's size person.
Now take Roland Destan, 6"'7" of pure gunslinger trained baddass... In a low drop holster and trained with that gun (or one symilar) since childhood....HE would not have a problem quickly drawing the 7 inch barreled pistol...:shoot:

John Blaze
03-14-2010, 09:30 AM
were do you get the 6'7"?

lead dealer
03-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Isin't that Si Kings height?

They mentioned that they were the same height when the two met.:cowboy:

Could be wrong....

osseolax28
03-14-2010, 06:23 PM
i dont think Stephen king is 6'7''. i could be wrong but i always thought Roland was 6'3''. I think clint eastwood is also 6'3'' or somethin like that, which also goes with the similarities between the two

lead dealer
03-15-2010, 05:52 AM
Were going to have to re-read that part. Been a wile since I have read that book.....

h1x71
03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
try looking at this and see what you think. being a "gun-nut" myself along with being a avid shooter i think what i am going to show you will be just the ticket. one small change in caliber it's a .44 magnum, if roland was here he would be proud to tote it. also it look's semi western and has the name redhawk "like david" his first weapon. and it's a ruger sa/da with the swing out cylinder.

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5001.html

sorry if the link does not work my kung-fu is not that strong in computers!

h1x71

lead dealer
03-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Welcome, plenty of gun nuts here.....

Not bad, have not seen a redhawk in years.... All it needs is the "no snag" sights instead of the target sights and a diffrent caliber and you would be all set. Well and a profuse amount of engraveing....

Humm..... I might have another project on my hands..... That or an engraved colt new service.....:cowboy:

lead dealer
03-22-2010, 05:29 AM
Here is a picture of an alternative "gunslinger gun"

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9429/158789.jpg

Have to love the .45.....

lead dealer
03-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Ok, board at work again....

Any other lead slinger ideas?

Show us your guns, boys, show us your guns!!!:shoot:

tipp-ed off
05-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I always imagined Roland's revolvers as CSAA with intricate scroll work.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/1956prime2.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Clairgate.jpg

John Blaze
05-04-2010, 08:18 PM
that second one is nice. Exactly how I envision Roland's guns.

Bang0_Skank
05-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Sai King may be inaccurate in his description of Roland's peacemakers, but you have to remember that there are other worlds than these. Gilead is not only from another time but from another world too, maybe even the keystone world. This tells me that any 'liberties' Steve might have taken in the series is forgiven because of this fact. We don't have Nozz-a la, and no one drives a Takuro Spirit, and we also don't have winchester 45 long revolvers with sandalwood grips.

Which is why one of my fantasies is to design a couple just like roland's, and have it custom made.

Also, I believe that the sixguns were indeed single action. Before you scoff because proficiency, skill, and speed with such a weapon would be lessened, look at this video. The guy is really arrogant but I could see our gunslinger having this speed when he shoots up the mountain at the man in black in the first novel.

YouTube- Fastest gunman ever. Unbelievable Bob Munden

John Blaze
05-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Bango, welcome.

Alot of your points have been made, and I posted this video before. Bob Munden IS AWESOME!

I agree with the arrogant comment though. :lol:

Also an "In Case of Zombies" thread you might want to check out. A place to post pictures of your weapons and also have discussion on such.

Hbgunslinger
05-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Hey guys,
I always imagined Rolands guns to be a more rugged version of the Ruger BlackHawk type gun. Problably because I used to hunt with one so knowing the stopping power it always fit in my mind that they could be the ones. I like the new Bisley model they came out with however as someone else said you'd need to have a smith take the sites down a tad.
http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBisley/models.html

lead dealer
05-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Bobs guns though are double action guns, S&W N frames (deviant of their 1917 triple lock .45acp revolver) useing a full moon clip. Seen him shoot, yeah, he is a bit of a prick.... But he at least gave another gun junkie the time of day. Well a quick glance at one of his hopped up smiths......And yes you can "fan" the hammers....

The only problem with the Colt SAA and the Rugers is that rolands were "swing cylinders" Rather than the single action guns loading gate. Those gates make unloading and relading quite clumsy and lengthly... No where near "gunslinger" speed.

This last part complicates the sarch for "rolands" guns, and makes it a little more difficult.....

TheReallySadCafe
05-06-2010, 07:33 PM
I've always pictured Rolands guns looking a lot like the Colt 1847 Walker but with a cartridge conversion of some sort that would have the swing-out cylinder. Seems to fit the bill in most areas except maybe for the fact that its a little too big and isn't a double action but I ignore those two flaws because the Colt Walker is my favorite gun and I just can't picture Roland using anything other then a single action revolver. :)

lead dealer
05-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Welcome to one of the "gun junkie" threads. The walker is quite the impressive hand cannon. I can see why they carried it on a saddle holster than on ones person.

Single action just fits the "cowboy" persona a little better than the double action...

Powertrip
06-04-2010, 08:30 PM
I've scoured the net. I've gone over this thread. I've read the books. And I've applied a healthy dose of imagineering...

The whole process went something like this...

Base model: Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt: http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBisley/images/0831.jpg

Ok but what about the proper cartridge... Books say it's a .45 Winchester and the only round with that moniker in Our World is the .45 Winchester Magnum. Ok, so some people have an issue with this because it's a round designed for an auto-loading pistol. Ok let's visit this thoroughly. Ruger sells a model of Blackhawk that is a convertible. It ships with a .45 Colt cylinder installed but comes with a SECOND cylinder chambered in .45ACP that has been fitted to the gun. This cylinder does NOT require the use of moonclips, either semi or full. http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html My understanding is, that the round is seated and spaced off the open end of the shell casing and not off the rim, there would be zero problems chambering a Ruger cylinder for the .45 Win Mag.

So with the base gun out of the way... And the round situation in theory settled, what do we have left? Ah! The swing out... Actually if I'm remembering correctly and I may not be... ROLL-OUT cylinder... I have yet to find a single line of writing, either in book or out that states the cylinder remains attached to the frame. Hence: http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/Projects.htm#SEDGLEY_LIFT-OUT_CYLINDER

Next up on the line would be grips: http://www.galtsguns.com/gunsgunsguns8.htm

So that leaves us with... Finishing? http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/images/hphphp0a.jpg is pretty much what I envision. It's not gaudy, it's classy and elegant. It has full coverage and I prefer the somewhat subdued finish meshed with the very tasteful engraving.

Put that all together and you would have my embodiment of the Roland Deschain Special.

Thoughts, criticisms, comments? Please PM me for my mailing address and attach said comments to a $20 and send away. (I'm going to need them for my Big Guns).

Powertrip
06-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Double Tap

lead dealer
06-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Well it is a good start, the colt new service (and S&W triple lock)in army service had a "lip" machined inside of the cylinder to enable the user in times of desperation to fire single, non clipped cartriges. The problem is extracting the non rimmed case. The swing cylinders lact the "ejection rod" that the big single action revolvers posess. Just a star shaped extractor that engages on the rim of the cartrige.
Wait, no cartrige rim! The opperator than has to extract the fired caseings individualy with a rod or stick... Hardly fast, or anywhere close to "gunslinger" speeds...

As to the "roll out" cylinder, The alternitive is the big, clumsy single actions loading gate where you remove the fired cases one at a time, or where the entire cylinder comes out like the cap and ball guns.. In eithe case our hero would have been very much slower on the reloads or have to carry around a lot of spare cylinders!

Hey, gunsmith, remember? this is what I do...

That will be $20 for the consult fee...

Powertrip
06-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah, at 0700 this morning as I was driving home from work... I realized that the take-out cylinder wouldn't work with that particular round. My next thought was one from Eddie Dean's mind... I'm going to be embarrassed when Lead Dealer checks the thread!

At this point... I guess the closest thing I can get is the 1911 trick. Guys are doing the .45ACP conversino cylinders and carrying their reloads in a 6 round compact 1911 magazine and with the New Vaqueros going to click and reversing cylinder for perfect line up for loading.

With the take out cylinders, I know the cowboy action shooters polish the chambers so that the rounds pretty much fall out on their own. If you're not doing top pressure magnum loads then the roll-outs I think *could* be competetive if you practice-practice-practice! Apples to apples equal? No, but then that's not what this is about, is it? :)

Oh, in regards to "fast as gunslinger speeds," well, if these guns were the primary focus of much of an apprentice/novice/full fledged gunslinger's days, then much like what Jerry Miculik can do being so far beyond the realm of mere mortal double-action shooters, to the point where he can shoot dry, reload, shoot dry his wheel gun faster than someone can shoot same number, reload, same number in a semi auto because he's moved beyond the operating speeds of the reciprocating parts, why is it beyond possibility that Roland and his compatriots, with guns oiled and smooth as glass, can reload a loading gate-fed single action as fast as mere mortals could change a magazine in a Glock?

Well it is a good start, the colt new service (and S&W triple lock)in army service had a "lip" machined inside of the cylinder to enable the user in times of desperation to fire single, non clipped cartriges. The problem is extracting the non rimmed case. The swing cylinders lact the "ejection rod" that the big single action revolvers posess. Just a star shaped extractor that engages on the rim of the cartrige.
Wait, no cartrige rim! The opperator than has to extract the fired caseings individualy with a rod or stick... Hardly fast, or anywhere close to "gunslinger" speeds...

As to the "roll out" cylinder, The alternitive is the big, clumsy single actions loading gate where you remove the fired cases one at a time, or where the entire cylinder comes out like the cap and ball guns.. In eithe case our hero would have been very much slower on the reloads or have to carry around a lot of spare cylinders!

Hey, gunsmith, remember? this is what I do...

That will be $20 for the consult fee...

lead dealer
06-06-2010, 12:23 PM
the bear with the loading gates, is that the cartriges will expand to the chamber they are in.... Overbore and crome plate would proably be the only option if we were to take that route...

Humm.....

Wonder how well that would work....

In the drawing of the three, when roland is "out" on the beach (todash in jack mort's body) She draws the "big gun of that mean ass honkey" and to ensure it is loaded she presses the cylender releice latch foreward,(like a S&W) that did not work so she pulled it back (like a colt), flipped it out and saw the brass. Fortunatly for roland, she did not check the primers...

And look closely at these "speed shooters" revolvers.. They all use a half or full moon clip! Makes for a fast, almost semi auto level, reload time... Look at the 1917 colt in my avatar, it takes the clips or the rimmed .45 auto rim round...

And those cowboy action shooters are primaraly using the lightest loads possiable... made for "dinging" steel targets or punching paper, not enforcing the laws of the barony, and takeing lives...

You have me thinking, wonder if the people that coat the inside of engine cylinders could do something as tiny as a revolver cylinder?:orely:

Powertrip
06-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Pooh. Like the Nikasil treatment done to high rpm sportbike engines...

John Blaze
06-07-2010, 11:42 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=172556395

I really want two of those exact guns, in 5.5" barrels. :(

lead dealer
06-08-2010, 08:00 AM
All right, what are they. On work computer with most of the "cool gun sights" are blocked!! Heck most of the pictures do not even com up..

Barrel length can always be fixed by any competent smith....:thumbsup:

RUBE
06-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Man, I love this thread. If I was filthy rich I would buy every one of the guns mentioned and try them all out.

John Blaze
06-08-2010, 11:07 PM
lol, me too!

lead dealer
06-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Firearms have proven to be a sound investment... Buy them wile you can.....

RUBE
06-13-2010, 07:36 PM
That is the problem. I can't buy any right now.:cry:

lead dealer
06-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Can't or won't?

Concider it the investment that gives back... How many "investments" can save your life? A single action revolver in a "hard caliber" will stop a prediator just as well as a polymer framed "wonder gun". :shoot:

DarthHill
06-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Lead Dealer-

It's an Uberti, with a 5.5" barrel and case hardened finish. I went with .45 Long Colt. I plink with cowboy action loads, as they're low power and reloadable, but I've fired some heavier stuff through it (200-225 gr. mostly). As for the grip, I have smaller hands, and the bird's head fits perfectly in my palm. It rocks back with the recoil in a way standard grips don't. I'm very pleased with it, and it's dead on right out of the box.

Long days and pleasant nights.

lead dealer
06-16-2010, 10:40 AM
DarthHill,

Excellent choice! A true "slingers" pistol should fit him, and him only with a high degree of comfort. Oddly enough the colt new service in my avatar fits my smaller, slender fingered hands. Anyone else it is a bulky club...

Alass, with it having a 1918 manufacture date, it is not as accurate as it could be....

Good to find more shooters, welcome..

Your pistol makes my old model Ruger Black hawk look like a neon next to a viper....

RUBE
06-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Can't or won't?

Concider it the investment that gives back... How many "investments" can save your life? A single action revolver in a "hard caliber" will stop a prediator just as well as a polymer framed "wonder gun". :shoot:

Can't. My three-month-old son drained my bank accounts by being born six weeks early and staying in the hospital for over two weeks. I could charge one to a credit card but then I would need it to defend myself from my wife when she found out. I will have to settle for taking the shotgun I bought a few months ago out to shoot trap.

lead dealer
06-22-2010, 05:15 AM
You have to sell it as a sound investment... Better than most peoples 401k's (20.5l's now). Get them wile you can.. Unsure what the future will bring.

Long barreled trap guns are often rather lousy for "house guns",they are longer than most doorways and hard to swing about in close confines of a home. Find a "junker" barrel and have a good smith shorten it. Remember 18in is atf legal min for shotguns, and trust me, that is quite short...

Powertrip
06-25-2010, 07:03 PM
YouTube- A. Uberti 2010 new items at IWA Nürnberg

Yes, please.

knightofavalon86
06-26-2010, 01:27 PM
YouTube- A. Uberti 2010 new items at IWA Nürnberg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EzAUdCXdq4)

Yes, please.

I'm new here, but I was browsing the forum when I saw this.
See, my take on Roland's guns is a 71/2 in. Colt SAA design that's been modified someway to have a swing out cylinder. And now Uberti's making one?! I WANT ONE!!

osseolax28
06-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Powertrip, that is the gun i'm looking for. thats awsome, damn now i want one

lead dealer
06-28-2010, 04:56 AM
with how fast uberti works, you will see those on the market within a year. Probably not commonly available for another few years unless there is a high demand. Dealing with the Italian customer service department is almost as bad as dealing with the Germans!

But IF our collective of faithful aspiring gunslingers will preashure them to speed up the time table. There is no news of this on the American market, I hope that this is not a euro- only released item!

osseolax28
07-02-2010, 04:02 PM
i cant find those guns anywhere except for the video you posted. :onfire:

Jack Torrance
07-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Here is a picture of an alternative "gunslinger gun"

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9429/158789.jpg

Have to love the .45.....

I think it looks amazing.

Is it yours? If so how do you like it?

lead dealer
07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Alass, no...

This one is owned by King Abulla of Jordan...

Some engraver must have went blind with this piece of art.

Out of the 6 1911's I own, none of them look this nice..:cry:

John Blaze
07-06-2010, 04:34 PM
IDk, I like SOME engraving, but stuff like this is too much for me.

lead dealer
07-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Something like this would be definitely a "show piece". But would be brought out to the range ever so often, just to prove it works....:shoot:

Engraving is a more perminate finish than these fancy painted on or plated types... I want one, but could never afford one... Engraving simply wears like iron... So to speak....

19junkie
07-07-2010, 09:20 AM
i've always thought that his guns would be almost comedically large-barrelled. it's gotta be like a shotgun or something. When these babies go off, it's like thunder. And everyone needs to remember that this isn't hundreds of years ago, it's hundreds of years in the future. Forged from excalibur.

lead dealer
07-08-2010, 06:34 AM
As a long time shooter, I can tell you that a long large bore may look cool, but is wretchedly impractical to carry on your hip. Let alone a pair of them. A barrel over 7 inches is a bear to draw from your gun leather... let alone shoot rapidly or accurately.. Well without a bipod....

The largest "practical" pistols made by colt (or the Remington cousin) were the 1860 army series (the walkers and early dragoons were a bit clunky) And those were the 8 inch variety. But alass were "cap and ball" (non-cartridge). But the "art" of gunslinging was born with these civil war surplus guns.
And to the modern viewer these old .44 (large bore) 8 inch barreled guns are "massive". Compare them to say a sig (4inch barrel) or a 1911 (gov't model 5 inch barrel) the civil war pistols would be huge compared to them.

Food for thought from a gun junkie on his road to the tower........:cowboy:

wganz
09-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Forged from excalibur. Excalibur would have had to been a HUGE sword to get the 5+ pounds of steel to forge two complete revolvers.

Couple of other points:
Ruger never made a .44 magnum automatic but IMI did make such as the Desert Eagle. At least not in this where && when. So, it would be possible in Jake's where that such a pistol existed.

Sai King apparently didn't know too much about the topic or didn't regard it as of such import to require deeper research to get absolute accuracy. IMHO, it was more important for him to tie his other novels into a coherent strand than to dwell on a technical accuracy on a topic that he may not actually like. Based on what Sai King has said, I'm going with this. Supporting docx in the link below:

Elephant Two is America's almost pathological love of guns. (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20188502,00.html)

With that said, I'm inspired enough by going through this series again that I'm going to get one of the below .45LC's from EMF::cowboy:

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/catalog/HF45CHSAR512NM_large.jpg
http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/catalog/PE45SS312NM_large.jpg

John Blaze
09-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Sai King apparently didn't know too much about the topic or didn't regard it as of such import to require deeper research to get absolute accuracy. IMHO, it was more important for him to tie his other novels into a coherent strand than to dwell on a technical accuracy on a topic that he may not actually like. Based on what Sai King has said, I'm going with this.
I've always believed this as well.

What's EMF?

wganz
09-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Sai King apparently didn't know too much about the topic or didn't regard it as of such import to require deeper research to get absolute accuracy. IMHO, it was more important for him to tie his other novels into a coherent strand than to dwell on a technical accuracy on a topic that he may not actually like. Based on what Sai King has said, I'm going with this. I've always believed this as well.

What's EMF?Early and Modern Firearms, Inc. (EMF) (http://www.emf-company.com/)
One of the earliest providers of Italian replica cap & ball revolvers. They're one of the biggest suppliers of shooting irons for Cowboy Action Shooting:cowboy:(aka IDPA for the geritol crowd). They're good peeps to deal with. :thumbsup:

John Blaze
09-26-2010, 03:30 PM
i looked them up after posting, but thanks for replying. I really like their Alchimista. I think if I'm gonna pay that much for a SA revolver though, I might as well go with the tried and true Vaquero.

lead dealer
09-27-2010, 05:19 AM
anyone shot any of these EMF guns?

Seen them, but have yet to see a review for them.

wganz
10-02-2010, 02:45 PM
anyone shot any of these EMF guns?

Seen them, but have yet to see a review for them.

I personally have not used them but they are popular with the cowboy action shooting people. and anything that cannot take a pounding in those timed matches is quickly found out. they have an excellent customer service rep. I am going to get a cap & ball revolver from them.

sgc1999
10-12-2012, 05:41 AM
watch "the good ,the bad, and the ugly" and "outlaw Josey wales" and you will get an idea of exactly what King was envisioning .

SpyGuy
07-10-2017, 08:17 PM
I actually decided to do a little research on the Big Guns myself, and posted this over on one of the Facebook pages. (because, yeah, I'm interested in knowing what the heck those guns were, too.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question or two about the Big Guns, Roland's weapons handed down from his father's lineage. As I've read the original version of The Gunslinger countless times, and re-read the rest of the series recently, I was wondering: what kind of guns are they if they were here in OUR world? (Obviously there are some differences, but these can also be put off to gunsmiths in "other worlds than these.") I'm going to compare them to "real-world" guns here, and try to reference pictures when I can. Please feel free to add any pictures or other tidbits you may have about the guns, and I say thankya.

Okay, SO ... in the first book (the original before the rewrite) the illustrations by Michael Whelan look like the classic .45 Colt Peacemakers, the guns that "won the West" back in the 1800's. Descriptions of the guns appear to be consistent with a revolver that has a loading gate at the rear and a pushrod to eject spent shells one at a time. (Brass is damned hot when fired, which would account for the circles being burned into Roland's fingertips when reloading during the battle of Tull.) The guns themselves have long barrels, more than likely 7" or 8" barrels - not a "fast draw" gun, which are usually 4.75"-5.5", but given Roland's intensive training, the length probably doesn't matter. Of course, the grips are made of sandalwood, which is a yellow-colored wood much like poplar, and is an often-repeated theme in the series. As the guns are weighted to his hands, it is entirely possible to slip thin metal plates between the grips and the frame of the gun butts to offset the weight of the barrels. (Note: In the revised edition of The Gunslinger, this exact modification is used.)

Comic book versions of the Big Guns vary back and forth between Civil War cap-and-ball style revolvers (with the pushrods for loading each cylinder under the barrels) to the classic Old West six-shooters. Obviously, trying to reload a cap-and-ball firearm when you have a bunch of people coming after you is NOT the best choice in the world, as you have to put the wadding in, press it down, then pour the powder into each cylinder, put in the ball on top, press THAT down ...... definitely not a speed-loader. :)

Now, the movie guns. From the pictures I have seen of the guns (and I specifically went looking for them), those guns appear to be replicas of the 1875 Remington Army Outlaw revolvers. Long barrels with a triangular brace from the trigger guard up underneath the barrel, curved hammers, very long and sleek. This also matches the shot of Roland's gun during the encounter with the Slow Mutants from The Gunslinger. However, these were cap-and-ball. Remington did make a cartridge conversion for the guns, so I am guessing this is what was used for the movie. More on those in a minute ...

In the second book, Roland swings the cylinders out to check the loads after his guns have gotten wet on the beach. This is known as a "crane," where the cylinder rolls out of the side of the gun. BUT... that technology wasn't made back then. :) In the Old West, there was a loading gate, which swung off the back of the cylinder so that shells could be loaded one at a time, and ejected one at a time. This would generally mean the cylinder was fixed into place, and not on a crane system. If the cylinder rolled out, Roland would have been able to reload MUCH faster, as all he would have had to do was upend the gun and let the spent shells fall out of the back of the cylinder. But then his fingertips wouldn't have circles burned in them .........

Back to the movie guns. Found another picture of something interesting. Roland is carrying his gunna sack over his shoulder. Take a good look at the sack, and what is in it. Hey ...... doesn't that look like a couple of extra loaded cylinders there? (And the Horn of Eld, too, but that's something for another day.) This would indicate that the cylinders can be easily replaced, popping them in and out of the guns. This is similar to what Dirty Harry Callahan did with his famous .44 Magnum in his first movie - it acts as a form of speed-loading, swapping out empty cylinders for full ones. (But then he wouldn't need to reload the shells from his gunbelt, and burn his fingers ..... inconsistencies abound, but who really cares? FANTASY, remember?) Reloading in this form would be kinda bad, as he's not actually carrying the extra cylinders with him - if he loses that bag, he has twelve shots against ... what, fifty-eight people in Tull?

Another version of cylinder reloading would be the Schofield guns made by Smith & Wesson, circa 1869-1915. These were called 'top-break' guns, because they did exactly that: the guns broke open from the top, and the entire barrel and cylinder assembly swung forward on a hinge directly in front of the trigger guard. In this way, the rear of the cylinder was completely exposed and accessible so that bullets could be shoved out and replaced, or in other instances, the whole cylinder could be popped out and replaced. Schofields were chambered in .44 Henry Rimfire, .44-40, .32-44, .38-44, and .45 Schofield.

So, my best guess on the origins of the guns would be the 1875 Remington with a 7.5" barrel and a cartridge conversion, with some nice engraved detailing. I'll set my watch and warrant on it. :)

I welcome any more input, opinions, comments, suggestions, insults, and general nineteen on this thread, and I say thankya again.

EDIT: The movie guns were identified as "Hollywooded" 1858 Remington .44's. Thankee-sai !!

Brainslinger
07-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Judging by the loading scene in the trailer, the movie revolvers have the swing out cylinders of more modern revolvers.

But then there's the scene when Roland reloads his guns in the air... and he seems to do that a different way by just... backing the guns into the bullets mid-air. (Forgive me if I saw that wrong.)

It was cool but, a bit silly, I thought. Reminded me of a similar scene in Kick-Ass, when Hit-Girl reloads her pistols with a similar trick, although those were clip loaded, up the grip, so it would have been a tad easier.

Merlin1958
07-30-2017, 04:47 PM
Judging by the loading scene in the trailer, the movie revolvers have the swing out cylinders of more modern revolvers.

But then there's the scene when Roland reloads his guns in the air... and he seems to do that a different way by just... backing the guns into the bullets mid-air. (Forgive me if I saw that wrong.)

It was cool but, a bit silly, I thought. Reminded me of a similar scene in Kick-Ass, when Hit-Girl reloads her pistols with a similar trick, although those were clip loaded, up the grip, so it would have been a tad easier.

I don't disagree with you, but then HOW exactly could the film depict what the book describes otherwise? I thought they did a pretty cool adaptation of the re-loading in two instances from what I saw in the trailers.

Brainslinger
07-31-2017, 09:44 AM
Argh! I just typed a reply, and somehow lost my Internet connection and the whole post.

Okay, the scene when Roland appears to pour the bullets into the gun chambers kind of worked for me. It's something I see as just about plausible.

The reloading in mid-air thing looked very cool, just a bit too 'Hollywood gimmick' for my liking. And would that even have worked, considering the way the guns were loaded elsewhere? (This could just be my own ignorance here. I don't know much about guns.)

On a positive note, I think whoever designed and created the film version of the Guns of Eld, did an amazing job. They're really beautiful.

Joe315
07-31-2017, 08:25 PM
He could be using something like this guy uses: (see about 30 seconds in) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0FbUMqoyjDw

EDIT: it's called a moon clip: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_clip

Priest
12-26-2017, 04:09 PM
confirm the "hollywooded" 1858 - the most obvious difference was already pointed out, that the 1858 was a cap and ball, while the move version has a modified cylinder.
for those who are interested a few detail shots:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170923/10bd79f68cb8ce3766a484bf85839f10.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170923/1d03ed3db40a5ac503c2a35a4ea37287.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170923/cc74b912a936cceaa4c169fa3579f3cb.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170923/b79bd748326260c89ebbe83b1dc66ed0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170923/226235dceb4d184ec0a19f75d9cd6031.jpg