PDA

View Full Version : Susannah *spoilers around*

Letti
07-11-2007, 12:40 PM
I am about to open a thread for each member of the ka-tet week by week (but I don't mind if someone else opens threads, too). They are important to all of us.

Susannah. I love and respect her a lot but she is not the most popular gunslinger as I know.
Do you like here?
If you like here why? If not why?
What do you think about her love with Eddie?

Darkthoughts
07-16-2007, 07:03 AM
I really like Suze. I enjoy Detta's moments too, and initially I liked the fact that she was a person who was both an aide and a threat to Eddie and Roland.

Susannah is a bona fide independant woman, which may make her seem hard nosed or cold and possibly that attributes to her unpopularity? But i thought she rocked for that very fact.

Her relationship with Eddie was so cool. Genuine and funny, I love the way his humour often exasperated her, but in a much more tolerable and affectionate way than it did Roland.

ZoNeSeeK
07-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Ive always liked Susannah and have been puzzled as to why many people dislike her so much - perhaps it comes down to the way King positions her character in the final stages of the series.

Favourite scene would have to be her on the trike in DT7 :P

Letti
07-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah... I would be interested in those people's views and feelings who are able not to respect her. :)

MonteGss
08-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I liked Susannah until the last book. Up til that point, she was strong, a little scary and a great shot with a gun. She pissed me off when she deserted Roland in End-World and I still cannot believe she threw Roland's gun in the trash!

(Please feel free to take out the spoiler warnings if they are not needed. I'm confused sometimes when to use them....so better safe than sorry.)

Letti
08-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Spoilers can never couse a problem so I am happy to see you use them.
Thank you, sai. :rose:

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Letti could you put spoilers in the thread title? That way we don't have to put spoiler boxes.

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 12:00 PM
I liked Susannah until the last book. Up til that point, she was strong, a little scary and a great shot with a gun. She pissed me off
when she deserted Roland in End-World
and I still cannot believe
she threw Roland's gun in the trash!

It's not like she up and left like it was some light no-big-deal thing though. It was very hard for her and she felt that it would help him for her to sacrifice the journey to the Tower to leave through the Unfound Door. She threw Roland's gun in the trash because it was no longer Rolands gun but just an old piece of metal that was unimportant.

MonteGss
08-23-2007, 12:02 PM
I know it was hard for her, I really do. I just don't think she should have. To take a chance that she might get to be with some version of Eddie and Jake again versus sticking it out with Roland....I just don't like it.
As far as the gun goes, it was FRICKIN' Arthur Eld's gun. Excalibur! It does NOT belong in the trash! :)

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 12:10 PM
It wasn't though, when it passed through the door with her it was transformed into just a piece of junk. She didn't know what the door held for her it was a huge chance and she did it more for Roland than for anything else, like I said, it was a big sacrifice because she wanted to reach the Tower too.

MonteGss
08-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I hear you but it still seemed like her bailing. Her trying to convince Patrick to leave with her and abandon Roland to himself was just another sign of her weakness at the end.

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Making such a big sacrifice and going into the unknown to me isn't a sign of weakness but one of strength.

Darkthoughts
08-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Patrick's fine - he lives with me now ;)

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Mmmmmmmmm Mr. Danville is Darkthought's lust slave now...one cellar cage to another..except when Darkthoughts comes down cellar she brings the KY Jelly, baby oil, and a single wine glass.

Darkthoughts
08-23-2007, 12:33 PM
BWAAHAHAHA!!!!

MonteGss
08-23-2007, 12:33 PM
:rofl:

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm a big fan of Susannah throughout the whole series from when she came into it until she left it. Strong, troubled and yet also helped by her demons after coming to terms with them. Crippled and yet fierce. My favorite member of Rolands ka-tet.

MonteGss
08-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Wow, really? Above Roland? I think she may be last on my list...even after Oy.

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Even over Roland. The rest are on the same level.

Letti
08-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Yes. Susannah has all my respect.

Jean
08-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Even over Roland. The rest are on the same level.
I have just found out that AllHail is my long-lost twin brother. I don't know if it makes me happy.

MonteGss
08-24-2007, 02:59 AM
Eeeeeew, gross. I'd be scared if I were you. :lol:

mia/susannah
04-16-2008, 10:55 AM
I would like to dedicate this thread to Susannah. I would love to discuss her and all her personalities. :rock:

mia/susannah
04-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Roland first pulled susannah through that door from New York into his world. She had the personality of Odetta and Detta I believe. Am I right?

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Okay, I'm all for this but usually if you're dedicating a thread to discussion of a specific character it should be in the Character Discussion forum. This is the forum dedicated to Song of Susannah only discussion.

Brainslinger
04-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Roland first pulled susannah through that door from New York into his world. She had the personality of Odetta and Detta I believe. Am I right?

Yes. Or Odetta and Detta are two women in one body...depending on how you'd like to view it... Susannah being a merger of the two.

That being said I heard a theory that Susannah was just another third personality. It is kind of interesting that as Susannah she can still draw on, or listen to Detta when she needs to. In fact sometimes she even comes forward unbidden although she seems a slightly less vicious anarchic version than the one who manifested originally.

Wuducynn
04-16-2008, 11:05 AM
And guess what? There's already a thread dedicated to her! :D

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=584

mia/susannah
04-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Can someone move this thread to where it should be. I was not sure of what forum it should be in. Thanks All Hail The Crimson King

Jean
04-16-2008, 11:10 AM
of course someone can... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

mia/susannah
04-16-2008, 11:10 AM
And guess what? There's already a thread dedicated to her! :D

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=584

I apolagize for starting the thread. I have not seen a thread for susannah. Maybe one of the facilitators can just delete this thread. I am not sure If I could or not. Thansk

Jean
04-16-2008, 11:14 AM
it's all right love, everything has been fixed http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

mia/susannah
04-16-2008, 11:22 AM
it's all right love, everything has been fixed http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Thanks Jean, you are a sweetheart :huglove:

Girlystevedave
04-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't think I would have cared as much about Susannah if it hadn't been for Eddie's love of her. I must admit, it was her character that took me the longest to really "fall" for. I thought she was an awesome character, very complex and strong, but I just didn't have much sympathy for her until later in the book.

sarah
04-16-2008, 12:28 PM
of course someone can... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Thanks Jean for being on top of this merge :D

mia/susannah
04-16-2008, 12:43 PM

Yes. Or Odetta and Detta are two women in one body...depending on how you'd like to view it... Susannah being a merger of the two.

That being said I heard a theory that Susannah was just another third personality. It is kind of interesting that as Susannah she can still draw on, or listen to Detta when she needs to. In fact sometimes she even comes forward unbidden although she seems a slightly less vicious anarchic version than the one who manifested originally.

Susannah is my favorite character. I love that she is independant and strong. I also like that her and Eddie have a great love but she is one of the best gunslingers in the ka-tet.

mia/susannah
04-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Another question. I know Mia somehow becomes a part of Susannah. Can someone tell me how and when? I cannot seem to find this out. Thanks

ZoNeSeeK
04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I can't think of the exact method mia/susannah, but if you reread Song it explains it all in there. The use Great Old Ones technology that causes some kind of cellular and mental link between the two.

Mia is actually kept chained to a bed in Fedic but her psyche resides in Susannah, necessary for the baby-fax-transmission to occur properly - Mia needs control of Susannah after a certain point (this point coincides with the victory over the wolves).

As for Susanna's actions in DT7 - I'm pretty sure every single one of you would have done the same.

If your husband/wife was shot in the head and died 12 hours later, your priorities would take a beating. Susannah was instrumental in saving the Beam and getting Roland to his destination. Her husband was killed and when presented with an opportunity to rewind and experience a kind of life with him (and with Jake), she took it. Remember, "Be true.".

Jean
04-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Susannah is my favorite character.
mine too, mine too! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif

Letti
04-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Anyway it really is interesting that Detta appears time to time in Susannah however Odetta got lost forever.

obscurejude
04-17-2008, 04:37 AM
That is an interesting point, Letti, and one I have thought about often. I wish I had more to say, but I don't.

Storyslinger
04-17-2008, 05:13 AM
Its because Odette was weak, and had nothing to offer in her own personallity.

obscurejude
04-17-2008, 05:19 AM
Brian, I would challenge that with Daddy Mose' affection for Odetta. I recently read the part where he meets Roland and goes on and on about Odetta whom Roland calls "Susannah." After reading this part, I basically had Letti's comment form in my head, for we do share khef on occasion.

Storyslinger
04-17-2008, 05:21 AM
Right, I agree, but does she ever come forward on her own after book two?

obscurejude
04-17-2008, 05:25 AM
No, I don't think so, which makes it mysterious. Is Susannah two thirds Odetta and one third Detta? When she talked about Daddy Mose, she just used "I" and other first person pronouns- she didn't refer to Odetta in the third person as in the case of Detta- dat' bitch.

Storyslinger
04-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Right, I think when the merger happen. Oddeta became a perminet part of Sus, not a peice like Detta did, able to come forward as she pleased.

jayson
04-17-2008, 05:29 AM
No, I don't think so, which makes it mysterious. Is Susannah two thirds Odetta and one third Detta? When she talked about Daddy Mose, she just used "I" and other first person pronouns- she didn't refer to Odetta in the third person as in the case of Detta- dat' bitch.

which is more or less how i see it, susannah is mostly odetta, but odetta with the added features of:
- an acknowledgement of detta's existence
- the changes eddie's love brought about in her personality
- the changes roland's teaching brought about in her personality

otherwise, she is still mostly odetta. her name changed to susannah, but the "main" personality is still mostly odetta. susannah's memories of family and such are odetta's. i don't think susannah is a unique third personality, but an enhanced odetta.

Jean
04-17-2008, 10:55 AM
yes... she is an Odetta who is an actual (vs. potential) gunslinger

(which might lead me to some speculations on how much Detta-ish gunslinging substantially is)

obscurejude
04-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Detta be a gunlslinga fo' sho'. Dat bitch be killing all dem red graymeat mahfah's.

Letti
04-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Susannah as a gunslinger Odetta doesn't work for me.

mia/susannah
04-17-2008, 06:20 PM
I can't think of the exact method mia/susannah, but if you reread Song it explains it all in there. The use Great Old Ones technology that causes some kind of cellular and mental link between the two.

Mia is actually kept chained to a bed in Fedic but her psyche resides in Susannah, necessary for the baby-fax-transmission to occur properly - Mia needs control of Susannah after a certain point (this point coincides with the victory over the wolves).

As for Susanna's actions in DT7 - I'm pretty sure every single one of you would have done the same.

If your husband/wife was shot in the head and died 12 hours later, your priorities would take a beating. Susannah was instrumental in saving the Beam and getting Roland to his destination. Her husband was killed and when presented with an opportunity to rewind and experience a kind of life with him (and with Jake), she took it. Remember, "Be true.".

Thanks. It has been to many years since I have read Song of Susannah. I am rereading the series now and Currently on Wolve of the Calla.
I agree with you. I would do exactly what Susannah did at the end if my husband was shot and I had the chance to relive my life with him.

mia/susannah
04-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Susannah is my favorite character.
mine too, mine too! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif

I knew there was a reason I love you so much!:huglove:

Jean
04-17-2008, 10:16 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sara01.gif

jayson
04-18-2008, 03:20 AM

so do you see Susannah as a third unique personality?

LadyHitchhiker
04-20-2008, 01:34 PM
I thought her love with Eddie seemed forced. I thought that the romance between Roland and Susan was more realistic. And I guess I didn't like Susannah to some extent because she just kept coming up with new ways to be a burden.

Wuducynn
04-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Susannah is one of my favorite characters in the saga because of her amazing strength, and MPD in a woman turns me on. The amount of shit in her life that she went through before even meeting Roland and Eddie and how she came to terms with Detta and even looked at her as an allie..impressive... :harrier:

LadyHitchhiker
04-20-2008, 02:03 PM
When I read the books again I may come up with a different opinion, but that's how I came to feel.

I don't think she tried to be a burden. She overcame her trials with intelligence and creativity, but that may just be my first impression of her.

Letti
04-20-2008, 09:05 PM
I thought her love with Eddie seemed forced. I thought that the romance between Roland and Susan was more realistic. And I guess I didn't like Susannah to some extent because she just kept coming up with new ways to be a burden.

Oh wow, most of the people claim the opposite. That her love with Eddie was true love and the one between those two teenegers was just forced. For my part I don't think either of them was forced.
Why do you think that anyway?
Yes, Susannah and Eddie needed each other but it doesn't mean it was forced. Eddie fell in love with a kind gunslinger woman and Susannah strated to love Eddie because he saved her and maybe he was the first man in her life who really knew her and still could love her.
So, dear Liz, why do you feel it was forced?

Wuducynn
04-21-2008, 05:35 AM
Better reply quickly Liz or Letti will sic her dog on you.

ZoNeSeeK
04-22-2008, 12:22 AM
I think Susannah uses detta's strength when she has to as a defensive mechanism. Her mind has learnt these patterns from her Schism Days (you know, pathways are all there and whatnot).Odetta was the original person remember. Odetta became Susannah using this Detta character as a catalyst or constituent. Detta can come back if she's needed, but Odetta is gone.

Letti
04-22-2008, 12:37 AM
I feel she might have had much more personalities than two but Detta and Odetta were the strongest.

Wuducynn
04-25-2008, 08:21 AM
This IS Susannah to me, I've finally found the perfect actress for her...not saying I want a movie made...but this is her to me -

http://www.stayreel.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/sanaa-lathan-nt01.jpg

Storyslinger
04-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Who is that? I'd say thats her! :thumbsup:

Wuducynn
04-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Sanaa Lathan....drop-dead gorgeous.

Storyslinger
04-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Alright, I remember her from Blade. I agree.

Wuducynn
04-25-2008, 08:59 AM
I've been wondering about an actress that would be able to play Susannah...funny considering I'm not keen at all about the Dark Tower series being made into movies.

Storyslinger
04-25-2008, 09:00 AM
MAybe you were just looking for someone with the same atmoshere about them?

Mark
04-25-2008, 09:39 AM
To me, Susannah was my least favourite member of the ka-tet, but i still lvoed her. She was so complex and so loving towards Eddie.

Ladyhitchhiker i think it was said that her love for Eddie was forced, but, i believe, Odetta had fallen for Eddie, nothing as strong as love y'know but still had fallen for him, and because of Eddie's trust of her, and how Odetta got on more with him than Roland, i believe the love grew.

Also, i think, the reason Odetta isn't mentioned much after book two, is because Suze had more Odetta in her most of the time. I think Detta was like her anti-conscience, if you know what i mean, the voice in your head that tells you what to do, except, instead of thinking the correct way, they think the gunslinger way. Also, A mon avis (in my opinion- if you don't speak french) Detta was replaced with Roland when she went through the door. Roland's voice spoke up in her head telling her to throw the gun away, i think Detta was tied to Mid-world too much, were as Roland was tied too much to her life, so his voice popped up, instead of Detta saying "Throw that thin' away, girl"

Wuducynn
04-25-2008, 03:44 PM
It's always made me wonder why Susannah is so many folk's least favorite member of the ka-tet. She's my favorite BECAUSE of her complexity and how much she has gone through causing her MPD. Also, the whole Mia possessing her sub-plot and all its twists and turns and implications, is deeply FACINATING to me.

mia/susannah
04-27-2008, 04:43 PM
It's always made me wonder why Susannah is so many folk's least favorite member of the ka-tet. She's my favorite BECAUSE of her complexity and how much she has gone through causing her MPD. Also, the whole Mia possessing her sub-plot and all its twists and turns and implications, is deeply FACINATING to me.

I know what you mean. I feel the same way. I also agree with the actress that you say would make a perfect susannah. :rose:

theBeamisHome
06-06-2008, 06:19 AM
I was surprised to see on other threads that so many people dislike Susannah. I understand not liking her I think (bear with me), but actively disliking her seemed strange. She couldn't control much of what happened to her. I was actually glad that she left Roland. Why wouldn't she? Everyone knew he had to go by himself (and now we know why on that too).

And I don't think Odetta became Susannah, I remember... in either WotC or SoS... Susannah thinking that Odetta must have let Mia in. So I think Mia took Odetta's place and she was gone forever..

Also.. Sanaa Lathan would be a pretty good Susannah, but Kimberly Elise still has my vote as the best one. She might not be as pretty but I think she's a better actress.

Tiffany
06-06-2008, 06:37 AM

Me neither. Odetta, as kind as she was, seems like a totally useless gunslinger. I understand that there are aspects to her personality that are beneficial (such as her kindness) but that's not the kind of woman I'd want at my side in a gunfight.

I love all the ka-tet but Susannah isn't my favorite.

Truth be told? I think I like Detta just as much as I like Susannah.

Jean
06-06-2008, 06:42 AM

Me neither. Odetta, as kind as she was, seems like a totally useless gunslinger. I understand that there are aspects to her personality that are beneficial (such as her kindness) but that's not the kind of woman I'd want at my side in a gunfight.
but it is what I said. If Odetta suddenly acquired what it takes to be a gunslinger, she would become Susannah.

Tiffany
06-06-2008, 07:49 AM
but it is what I said. If Odetta suddenly acquired what it takes to be a gunslinger, she would become Susannah.
Ohhhhhhh.

I was still glad to be rid of her.

Letti
06-06-2008, 01:02 PM
I can't help I always liked Detta.

inkalilie
10-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Do you think that Susannah changed over the course of the books? I mean, I know she didn't even exist until the end of The Drawing of the Three. At the beginning of The Waste Lands we see her as a combination of Detta's and Odetta's traits, but always something more (she says she's glad to be rid of the "foul-mouthed, cock-teasing thief" AND the "self-righteous, pompous prig"). Do you think her character changed after The Drawing of the Three, because of all her experiences (I'm thinking of her anger about Roland's tricks, Mia's intrusion, Eddie's death, etc. etc.)???

Brainslinger
10-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Interesting question. In some ways, if you include Detta and Odetta she went through the most changes. After she became Susannah though, in some ways I guess she went through the least. (Well, unless you count Mia, but she was an intruder.)

That's not to say she didn't change, but I think it was a bit more subtle than Jake and Eddie's. I'm not sure we can discount what happened with the previous personalities or even Mia though. It's all part and parcel of what made her who she is.

Letti
10-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Do you think that Susannah changed over the course of the books?

I think all the characters kept changing. More or less. Susannah changed a lot... so did her feelings about Eddie and Roland.

19eye-rosecrow-gun
11-03-2010, 09:58 PM
I forget, did Roland and Susannah have sex at some point? It would have been later in the last book, but I forget if they did. Just curious.

Jean
11-03-2010, 10:53 PM
no, of course they didn't, why would they?

19eye-rosecrow-gun
11-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Maybe she just kissed him. I was talking with someone today and we were wondering. I think she only kissed him before she left.

inkalilie
11-08-2010, 07:27 AM
She also kissed him in Fedic, just after Roland comes back from burying Jake and before Susannah and Roland embark on the last stage of their adventure. She means to tell Roland she's serious about staying with him until they reach the Tower. Although in the end she doesn't...