PDA

View Full Version : Site Suggestions

Matt
07-11-2007, 09:42 AM
We are moving to the end of our "development" stage and I would love any suggestions the members have on how to move forward.

I am going to begin an aggresive ad campaign soon and I expect our little "test group" here will begin to grow.

what would you like to see?

what could make it better?

Daghain
07-11-2007, 11:12 AM
what could make it better?

BEER! :rofl:

ZoNeSeeK
07-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Who is doing the design at the moment?

Jean
07-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I hate to be a bore, but:

1. Can anything be done about that italics in quotations we already talked about?
2. Something has to be done about that I, Gan forum.

Daghain
07-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I would really, REALLY, like the caps police to be removed. I don't see anyone misusing it so far (and we can certainly PM any offending individual we run into) and there ARE times when one all caps sentence would be nice (like when I am trying to be a bigshot about Texas Hold'em LOL).

What's wrong with the I, Gan forum, Jean?

Jean
07-11-2007, 09:41 PM
it is there, but not working.

Daghain
07-11-2007, 09:46 PM
What's not working? Maybe I need to be nosy and go take a look...

Wait, that may still be in development - that was the fanfic location, right?

Maybe Matt forgot about it. :) Or, he's concerned about copyrights and so on.

I think, based on what I've seen on other fanfic sites (and I am not an expert by any means) that if the author (or, maybe even in the master thread) someone points to the fact that the characters, etc. in the following fanfic are the property of Sai King, we're gold.

I'd be willing to bet Matt and Aaron just got busy with other stuff and forgot about it.

I'll bet if you ask nicely in your best bearpurr they would help you. :D

Jean
07-11-2007, 09:51 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif bearpurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_innocent.gif

Daghain
07-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Awww, that's so cute that *I* wish I could help you. :D

BTW, I saw an AWESOME piece of DT fanfic out there - I'll see if I can find the link. It was the way I would have LOVED to see it end!

Daghain
07-11-2007, 09:55 PM
SPOILER ALERT, AMIGOS!!!!!!!!!

This is, by far, IMHO, the BEST alternate ending to DT7. Written in Sai King form, very well done, and I do like it better than the original (so sue me, already)

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2747620/1/

Matt
07-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Great stuff you guys, please keep going on this.

-The italic quote box is something I am still researching.

-I promise me and Aaron will discuss the fan fiction forum before the week is out. Come up with a way to open it up.

-I would be willing to take the CAPS rule off (its set that you can type up to 10 characters right now before it fixes it) if that is cool with everyone else.

Personally, that kind of stuff never bothered me. CAPS, I mean. :D

-The design of the site right now is being done by me (learning very much). We are using a CMPS to integrate the forum information to the pages. The goal is to make the site seamless.

A new "about us" page is next (don't worry, I have the pics) :grouphug:

Randall Flagg
07-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Some of this has been mentioned in chat.

The ability to have a pop up invite to chat. You see someone is online, click on their screen name, and much like the PM option, you have a chat invite. The person then gets a pop up.

About us should have it's own link, rather than be in the Gallery. Also for those willing, a brief Bio under the persons pic.

Eliminate the cap restriction. Fac's and Managers can deal individually with any abuse issues.

Consider listing the Fac's next to the the area they handle on the Palaver main page.

Consider animated gif's for the avatars-small file size limits so that page loading is not inhibited-In fact, perhaps the individual in their CP could check a box to allow, or disallow animated gifs.

Matt
07-12-2007, 10:00 AM
About us should have it's own link, rather than be in the Gallery. Also for those willing, a brief Bio under the persons picAbout us will be it's own page, I am just drawing the images from the gallery. I would LOVE it if you guys went out and edited your entry in the "about us" folder in the gallery to include information about yourself.

They may not see it on the main page but they will be able to click to it if they like.

The invite to chat has been researched and the support forums seem to agree on simply sending them a PM to invite. I haven't found a mod for that. We can see who is in there and click on their profile in the "who's chatting" set down at the bottom of the main forum page

Another vote for no CAPS restrictions--still coll with me

Not sure about the FAQ one, instead of the link at the top. Its kind of a centralized spot

Randall Flagg
07-12-2007, 10:26 AM
By Fac's I meant Facillitators.
So when one sees for example End World, they know who the Fac's are for that section.

Matt
07-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Ah...that makes total sense. There is a bit at the bottom right at each forum that says who the mods for that area are. Hopefully the colors show the difference between managers and facilitators.

Randall Flagg
07-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Ah, I see that now. That is good. There are different colors for Managers and Facillitators.
thanks.

Jean
07-12-2007, 09:43 PM
1. The italic quote box is something I am still researching.

2. I promise me and Aaron will discuss the fan fiction forum before the week is out. Come up with a way to open it up.

1. Wonderful. It's really going to give all posters a powerful tool which now can hardly be used.

2. Great! I hope maybe my draft of I, Gan spoiler guidelines may still be of some use, and CRinVA's poem will finally be placed where it should be. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Daghain
07-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Did you go read the fanfic I posted, Jean? I think you might like it. :)

Wish I could take credit for writing it, though. Oh well. :)

Jean
07-12-2007, 10:10 PM
thank you Irish Dawn http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif, I haven't done any extensive reading lately except absolutely necessary... I would read it immediately if it was yours http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif, but as it isn't, I'll attend to it later

Daghain
07-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Aww, sooo sweet. :D

If I'd thought of it, I WOULD have written it. It is really, really good. Almost the ending I wish Sai King himself would have written.

This guy has a LOT of talent. Not only can he mimic another author's style, he does it almost seemlessly (I'm a King addict, so I can tell the difference, but I'd be willing to bet a novice would not) and it truly is interesting.

I kind of prefer it to Sai King's ending. It's a close race. It IS really innovative, though, and I have to give kudos to the author for his innovation - it is truly inspired. :)

Jean
07-12-2007, 10:25 PM
now you got me very intrigued. I'll read it as soon as I can spend long time at the computer again http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Daghain
07-12-2007, 10:30 PM
It's seriously like 15 minutes of reading. But well worth it.

Trust me, if an English major gives it a compliment, it just means we're jealous. :D

The guy rocks. Seriously. I have read a LOT of literature in my time, and he's really, really good. :)

I'm pissed because he makes my writing look like crap in comparison. :D

Frunobulax
07-12-2007, 10:30 PM
I, Gan needs several good large fanfics to get its ass kick started, IMO.

Daghain
07-12-2007, 10:32 PM
I agree. I may be willing to try, but not for a couple weeks yet. Got to please the idiot accounting instructor.

I am realizing I am NOT a "serious intellectual paper" person. My BS meter has been set on HIGH for 3 weeks now!

Frunobulax
07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
That's a damn good fanfic. My only problem:
I read the line “It’s a trap..." as Admiral Ackbar. IT'S A TRAAAP!!!!

Darkthoughts
07-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I didn't read it so much as an alternate ending - more the ending that comes after SK's ending...y'know how we leave Roland back at the start BUT this time with the horn - and that fanfic guy wrote THAT ending.

I really enjoyed it, the farewell between Roland and Jake was very touching. However, call me a nihilist, but I just wanted Roland to find death/peace at the top of the tower.

OK!! :D I do have a suggestion!! :lol: Could we get a diary section at all? I know we're partially catered to in that respect with the "Whats in your mind" type threads - but online diaries can be fun to have, and its a great way to get to know each other.

Matt
07-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Hmmm...interesting idea. I'll see if we have anything out there that might fit the bill.

Sounds like it could be a cool thing.

Jean
07-14-2007, 10:11 AM
1. However, call me a nihilist, but I just wanted Roland to find death/peace at the top of the tower.

2. OK!! :D I do have a suggestion!! :lol: Could we get a diary section at all? I know we're partially catered to in that respect with the "Whats in your mind" type threads - but online diaries can be fun to have, and its a great way to get to know each other.
1. I am sure that's what is supposed to happen in the next loop, - that's why I am always surprised when people say "we never learned what was at the top": how come they don't know what is at the top if the birth is at the bottom and all other events of a life follow? I hope we'll discuss it in more detail in another thread some day!

2. Very interesting, and very promising. It's very much like those "self-indulgent" threads moderators always object to (and rightfully so), but placed inside a special preserve with their poisonous teeth torn off placed inside a special preserve. Do you think people should be able to comment on one another's entries? Or will it be too complicated for a sight primarily dedicated to one specific piece of literature?

Darkthoughts
07-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Well, at a Harry Potter site I mod at members can be sorted into houses which all have their own "common room" ie, private forum. Within these forums is a diary section - the rules of posting are:
-one entry a day
-other members may comment
-try to comment in at least one other persons diary when posting in yours

the last rule is more to generate comments/discussion rather than just being overly vain about the whole thing :lol:
It is self indulgent, but y'know being an HP forum we're catering largely to teenagers to whom self indulgence is inbuilt, but it is good fun - gives people a chance to vent/ask for and give advice and generally just stops this sort of thing overflowing into the general forum.

Odetta
07-14-2007, 10:23 AM
If we did a blog type of section, then I think it should have it's own separate sub category or section. Sometimes, these sections can make newcomers feel awkward as it just seems... so... personal.
That is one problem with forums that have these types of threads. Newcomers may feel that they are imposing on some close-knit group. I speak from experience. I have joined boards where everyone seems to know everything about everyone else and I have always felt uncomfortable posting.

Just something to consider.

Jean
07-14-2007, 10:25 AM
I hope we can have something like that. It really does open some new horizons. But I agree with every word Odetta said.

Darkthoughts
07-14-2007, 10:26 AM
I know what you're saying - however its the other way round with me, I'm more intimidated by posters being cliquey in general discussion threads.
Really shouldn't be bothered by this sort of social grooming/heirarchy on the internet should we...but there you go! ;)

Jean
07-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Correct... you never know what can scare people away, because people are different... but I think Odetta's suggestion of a separate section might do the trick with those who are afraid of imposing: at least they won't feel like they don't belong in general discussion. Later on even the most shy might come round to posting everywhere, if they feel welcome, which I believe they will.

Darkthoughts
07-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Definately! Sort of what I was trying to point out in my other post - the diaries on this other site are a sub forum within a sub forum...so yes, I agree.

Odetta
07-14-2007, 10:36 AM
I guess it's up to Matt... how does he want this board to go? I mean... looking say, 2 years down the road, would new people still want to join up?

Examples, both Redton and Camp (of which I am a member of both) have been up and running for awhile, do they get newcomers? No, not really... and if newcomers do get in there, do they stay? Not really, because it's hard to break into such close knit groups. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing, neither Redton nor Camp are really trying to hustle in new people anyway.
But Matt may want something different for this forum. Especially considering the whole point was to focus on Dark Tower and a lot less of AE (wasn't that the original idea, Matt?)

So, this type of threads where people can get extremely personal needs to be handled delicately, thinking down the road a few years and the impact.

Matt
07-14-2007, 03:44 PM
You are totally correct Odetta. I think the nature of what its board is, and the sites name "thedarktower.org" means that people will search out membership much more than they ever would for Camp or Redton.

I mean, who googles...'campdoc'? :lol:

So yes, this site is intended to grow very much. Its a long term plan of course and the beauty of it is that Stephen King and The Dark Tower will never go out of style. The are a part of pop culture so if we handle the place right, it will self perpetuate.

(like Harry Potter and I would love to talk about links between the sites Darkthoughts. If the admin there would be into something like that)

The site itself will always be primarily a Dark Tower fan site. I hope the future brings all kinds of things...perhaps even gatherings but through it all the dedication is towards the man and his great series.

So the site is a couple of months old (officially) and is just barely getting started :rock:

So, to answer the question. Todays advanced boards offer all kinds of interesting modifications. Mostly free and there is so much, in fact, the hard part is sorting out what might work for this particular site. Those ideas have been coming on board and there are some in the pipeline.

I believe one we are developing now may be useful for this kind of thing :ninja:

Jean
07-15-2007, 02:54 AM
I got an idea regarding those diaries: why can't they be in Turtleback? Just like every author can have a poetry thread, a short story thread, an unlimited number of novel threads, etc, why can't s/he have a diary thread? It's very much the same as any other writing, - we don't exclude non-fiction, right? And nobody would feel shy, or imposing, or intruding, or whatever: publishing one's diary is no more intimate than publishing one's poetry.

Darkthoughts
07-15-2007, 06:43 AM
(like Harry Potter and I would love to talk about links between the sites Darkthoughts. If the admin there would be into something like that)
I will certainly mention it if you like - Jessa and Desi are our admins/site owners and they're both lovely - there are also a few DT fans already at the site. Like this site its fairly new and we all went there from another HP site. We've been going for about a year, but we were hacked a few months back and had to start from scratch as IBP weren't very helpful in retrieving lost files.

Odetta - I'm not an LJ-er or any other kind of blogger, so this idea wasn't anything desperately needed (in my eyes), its only a bit of fun like the arcade - I just felt like contributing something and by way of suggestions thats all I had :D

You seem to find the idea of diaries to be very...off putting? Is that the right term? I didn't intend it to be that way - though I don't actually think it detracts from the fandom or any serious discussion in any way, if, as you suggested, its put in an appropriate sub forum.

Any road, just wanted to say that so you don't have me pegged as some narcisistic diary addict :lol:

Matt
07-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Its definitely something to look into and it may be something that is a part of something else.

For instance, right now each of us could create an album under "member galleries" in the gallery. Create a photo journal because each pic uploaded can have a separate set of comments.

Matt's photo journal...pic 1:

<picture of something from the day>

7/15/07

Its been a wonderful day so far, got up early and watched CBS Sunday Morning with my sweetie.

The sun is already brutal outside so I mowed the lawn while it was still early.

^date is the title, text is the description

then...people could comment and you could have another pic for the next entry. Doesn't have to be one a day of course.

this is just an example of how we may be able to use something we already have planned to implement this idea--in a fun way.

People could have a link in their sig :D

Darkthoughts
07-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Yeah cool, thats a really funky idea! :D

Odetta
07-16-2007, 07:52 AM
Odetta - I'm not an LJ-er or any other kind of blogger, so this idea wasn't anything desperately needed (in my eyes), its only a bit of fun like the arcade - I just felt like contributing something and by way of suggestions thats all I had :D

You seem to find the idea of diaries to be very...off putting? Is that the right term? I didn't intend it to be that way - though I don't actually think it detracts from the fandom or any serious discussion in any way, if, as you suggested, its put in an appropriate sub forum.

Any road, just wanted to say that so you don't have me pegged as some narcisistic diary addict :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad idea, I think, if it's handled correctly, it can work. I like your suggestions, don't ever stop!

I tend to be a bit of a devil's advocate at times... it's my nature. That being said, I just don't want to scare of new people by the intimacy of these types of threads... that's all.

Jean's suggestion makes sense... stick it in Turtleback under a subcategory
or something.

Matt
07-16-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm actually thinking that actually having something like this as forum threads probably won't work, but we have plenty of alternatives. :D

Darkthoughts
07-17-2007, 05:35 AM
I tend to be a bit of a devil's advocate at times... it's my nature.
Don't ever change - I think its what I initially liked the most about you back in the "Ask the atheists anything" thread :thumbsup:

Odetta
07-17-2007, 11:29 AM
:blush:

Matt
07-18-2007, 07:22 AM
I'm interested in implementing as much as I can so I am going to try the "daily journal" thing in the gallery.

I'll post a link to todays when I am done.

Have I missed any suggestions so far?

Randall Flagg
07-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Have I missed any suggestions so far?

Animated avatars-user CP to allow or disallow.

Matt
07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Ah, that would be something we could discuss for sure.

I know that darkthoughts (for instance) has dial up and simply turned off all the avs and sigs.

I will bring it up, thanks Jerome

Jonn Wolfe
01-14-2008, 02:11 AM
It's just a little something. :innocent:

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/528/texasxx3.gif

Matt
01-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Whats that Jonn?

Jonn Wolfe
01-14-2008, 03:07 PM
A Flagg for Texas. *wry grin*

Matt
01-14-2008, 03:10 PM
hahahahah--we do have the country flags for the post bit but that one works fine there

Jonn Wolfe
01-14-2008, 03:13 PM
:D

Randall Flagg
01-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Sorry, no flags for third world countries.:nope:

Jonn Wolfe
01-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Sorry, no flags for third world countries.:nope:*cocks gun*

:shoot:

Matt
01-14-2008, 03:46 PM
:rofl:

Don't mess with Texas!!

I always thought those road signs were weird when I was a kid, wouldn't it be don't mess on Texas if it was about litter? :orely:

Jonn Wolfe
01-14-2008, 03:48 PM
There's a hidden letter in them signs.

"Don't mess with Texans!"

:P

Jon
01-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Is Texas still a state???

Jonn Wolfe
01-16-2008, 05:36 AM
"It's like a whole other country." :)

(and was)

Jon
01-16-2008, 05:43 AM
"It's like a whole other country." :)

(and was)

And should have remained. Look at how much more oil we could import!:cowboy:

Jonn Wolfe
01-16-2008, 05:48 AM
My fellow Texans, we have been wronged. Wronged I Say!

Jon
01-16-2008, 06:03 AM
My fellow Texans, we have been wronged. Wronged I Say!

I'm a Hoosier..we REALLY need SOMEONE to make fun of.

Jonn Wolfe
01-16-2008, 06:06 AM
My fellow Texans, we have been wronged. Wronged I Say!I'm a Hoosier..we REALLY need SOMEONE to make fun of.Try the Buckeyes. They're close enough to throw rotten tomatoes at. :P

ZoNeSeeK
01-17-2008, 05:02 PM
I've seen No Country For Old Men, I know what its all about *shifty*

Jon
01-17-2008, 11:40 PM
My fellow Texans, we have been wronged. Wronged I Say!I'm a Hoosier..we REALLY need SOMEONE to make fun of.Try the Buckeyes. They're close enough to throw rotten tomatoes at. :P

Ok...what is a buckeye?

Ans.

A nut with no purpose.:lol:

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 11:39 PM
My suggestion for the site is that we start a "Give Jon Lots of Money So He Can Spend It On Whatever He Wants" fund, most importantly Matt will match dollar for dollar each donation.

alinda
01-27-2008, 07:36 AM
:cry: That was nice, do you know who wrote this? I'm at work reading it and bout to cry myself....:grouphug: happy ending's? Still.........

This is, by far, IMHO, the BEST alternate ending to DT7. Written in Sai King form, very well done, and I do like it better than the original (so sue me, already)

Wuducynn
01-27-2008, 04:57 PM
I don't need an alternate ending...I love the one we have..

MonteGss
01-27-2008, 04:57 PM
I don't need an alternate ending...I loved the one we have..

Ditto.

Wuducynn
01-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Damn Monte! You're as fast with your posts as I am with a gun!

Mist_on_the_Water
01-27-2008, 05:08 PM
it says site suggestions..might I make one?

I think it might make things easier for those who watch a lot of thread if there was a place to look at the day's active topics..on sites I've been on there's a link somewhere that you can clikc that'll bring up the titles of all the threads that have been psoted in that day. if it's possible, I think that'd make it easier here for some. Especially instead of subscribing because I have enough emails without getting one evry time a thread is posted in...

Wuducynn
01-27-2008, 05:40 PM

I think it might make things easier for those who watch a lot of thread if there was a place to look at the day's active topics..on sites I've been on there's a link somewhere that you can clikc that'll bring up the titles of all the threads that have been psoted in that day. if it's possible, I think that'd make it easier here for some. Especially instead of subscribing because I have enough emails without getting one evry time a thread is posted in...

Well there is the New Posts link, but an Active Threads link might be a good idea also.

Mist_on_the_Water
01-27-2008, 06:10 PM
:thumbsup: :rock: :panic:

Matt
01-27-2008, 07:46 PM

Yep, all you have to do is click the "unread posts" link in the upper right to see them all in one place.

Daghain
01-27-2008, 09:37 PM
I have no idea who wrote it, but I really liked it too. :)

:cry: That was nice, do you know who wrote this? I'm at work reading it and bout to cry myself....:grouphug: happy ending's? Still.........

Jean
01-28-2008, 12:05 AM
IR: in addition to Unread Posts there is also a Today's Posts option, in Quick Links drop-down menu (top right). http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Mist_on_the_Water
01-28-2008, 12:28 PM
thankee-sais, Jean and Matt, I'll take a look :panic:

I just love the little panic smiley he's so fun to watch! *watches it run in circles*

RUBE
02-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I just noticed (OK sometimes I can be slow) that a "Quick Reply" does not add to my post count. I was wondering why my count never seemed to change. I use that feature all the time. Can we make those count?

Matt
02-01-2008, 03:24 PM
They do actually Rube but posts don't count in off topic areas so that may be the problem.

The quick reply box should always add as long as you are in a forum that does it.

RUBE
02-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Testing...

OK, that is weird but you're right, it worked. However, I posted four times earlier today and it only added one to my count. Which are "off topic areas?"

Matt
02-01-2008, 03:28 PM

RUBE
02-02-2008, 08:34 AM

So "off topic areas" are smiley emoticons?

Brice
02-02-2008, 08:35 AM

The Dixie Pig and Blue Heaven.

RUBE
02-02-2008, 08:50 AM

Thanks. Of course, I feel like a dimwit again because I now see where it says that below both of those titles.

Brice
02-02-2008, 08:52 AM

Thanks. Of course, I feel like a dimwit again because I now see where it says that below both of those titles.

No big deal! I'm happy to be able to help. :clap:

Seymour_Glass
05-07-2008, 05:49 PM
There should be a place for geeks like me to talk about comic books.

Wuducynn
05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Like the comic book forum for instance?

Erin
05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
There is Seymour Glass!

On the main forum page, scroll down to "The Comic Tower" area and then click on its subforum "Other Comics". There are a bunch of current threads in there on all sorts of comics, but feel free to start any thread you want. :D

There are a lot of other comic geeks on this site. :nana:

Daghain
05-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh boy, are there! :lol:

MonteGss
06-27-2008, 06:38 PM
I propose that if a thread has less than 20 replies and has been inactive for a month, it should be sent to The Clearing.

I bet it could help clear up some clutter in some of the forums....
like in Gilead, for example. :)

obscurejude
06-27-2008, 06:40 PM
I propose that if a thread has less than 20 replies and has been inactive for a month, it should be sent to The Clearing.

I bet it could help clear up some clutter in some of the forums....
like in Gilead, for example. :)

Monte is kicking ass and taking down names tonight. :harrier:

Good suggestion. :thumbsup:

There might be a lot of Razz's threads in the clearing

MonteGss
06-27-2008, 06:41 PM
It would have to be meaningful replies too...not just a pathetic attempt at a *bump*

Just an idea anyway.

obscurejude
06-27-2008, 06:45 PM
:cool:

Jean
06-27-2008, 11:26 PM

a month is far too short a time. We already have lots of threads, and will have more - their rotation just physically can't be equally fast for all. Then, some discussion threads can't move fast because they require thinking, and sometimes hard thinking (and research), before anything sensible can be posted.

I suggest not taking any formal decisions here, but leave every separate case to the judgement of the managers/facilitators of a given section - just like it has been up to now.

Brice
06-28-2008, 06:41 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with Jean on this one. By this reasoning we can end up losing some good threads I think. And then there'd be the problem of who decides which posts are meaningful enough. IMO too many restrictions on what constitutes a worthy thread and/or post would be a detriment.

Daghain
06-28-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree. We did just do a little housekeeping around the board, so we are taking steps to minimize clutter.

The facilitators and managers in each section have a pretty good feel for how threads are going, and can usually do a pretty good job of culling out the dead ones. :)

Wuducynn
06-28-2008, 04:32 PM
I could see when making a thread there be some message that comes up that says that there is an "Active Limit" and if the thread goes inactive for a couple of months say, it will automatically be sent to The Clearing. Makes sense to me.

rocket123
12-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Hey i think ur doing an awesome job with the site. I cannot think of anything really. But if something comes to my mind i will let u kno. Keep up the good work :rock:

Matt
12-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks rocket, please do let us know if there is anything that could be better or more smoothly operating.

turtlex
12-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Hey Matt - Can we add the BMOAT polls to the pop-up notices we get ?

Pretty please?!?

Thanks.

Odetta
12-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Matt, is it possible to just make me the automatic winner of all of the arcade tournaments?

K? Thx!

Hannah
12-15-2008, 09:03 AM

Pretty please?!?

Thanks.

I'd be happy to do this - only I'd need Feev to PM me with the information on each new BMOAT thread he creates since only a director can add a notice.

Matt
12-15-2008, 09:07 AM
We'll have to talk about that one. I would hate to have like...15 notices up there, especially for people that aren't movie fans.

Hannah
12-15-2008, 09:09 AM
I think it's in the final rounds now - so there shouldn't be that many, but if it isn't we can wait until the finals to put the notices up there.

Does that work for you, Matt?

turtlex
12-15-2008, 09:09 AM

Pretty please?!?

Thanks.

I'd be happy to do this - only I'd need Feev to PM me with the information on each new BMOAT thread he creates since only a director can add a notice.

We'll have to talk about that one. I would hate to have like...15 notices up there, especially for people that aren't movie fans.

Oh, yeah, good point. For me, it's a no-brainer, I love movies and always have a hard time making sure I find all the BMOAT polls.

Well, whichever you decide. Just thought I'd ask.

Matt
12-16-2008, 10:23 AM
In a stroke of genius Hannah suggested we have the notices appear only if you click on the Gem Theater forum.

Best of both worlds, if you don't go in there, you don't see them. If you do, nice reminder.

Thanks Hannah! :huglove:

Daghain
12-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Ooh, great idea! :clap:

turtlex
12-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Thank you !!

obscurejude
12-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Nice Job Hannah. :thumbsup:

<ô> bango skank <ô>
05-24-2009, 03:55 PM
how about, "help for slow mutants"!!! people like me who have no clue and need stuff spelling out for them. I may be a book nerd but this stuff is beyond me. Simple questions need an answer. like how do i get quotes 'n' stuff at the bottom of my posts? And pics? Yes i'm daft, but the world has moved on since i was a kid. (i'm only 24, but dont worry about that!) All i've every used the internet for is final fantasy cosplay dirty pics lol. to me this is rocket science!

Brice
05-24-2009, 03:59 PM
PM me and I'll answer any questions I can, Kev.

<ô> bango skank <ô>
05-24-2009, 04:47 PM
thanks. but dont u see? what does PM mean? i ain't got a clue, unless you are the prime minister. sorry messin about. u da big wig?

obscurejude
05-24-2009, 04:50 PM
pm stands for "private message." Click on Brice's username and it will give you the option to send him a pm. Its basically an e mail service for members of the site. Feel free to pm myself as well if have any questions. I am not a big wig though.

Brice
05-24-2009, 04:51 PM
No, I am on the staff though. Hang on a minute. I'll see what I can do to help you. :)

Heather19
05-24-2009, 04:54 PM
There's also these threads which might help answer some questions. Not sure if that's too advanced for what you're looking for though or not.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6133

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1583

turtlex
05-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Actually.... Yes, Brice is the Prime Minister!!

Kev - I'm around as well, if you need some help. Just reach out.

Whidden
06-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey, is there a thread around that we can ask where to find threads?

I used the search to look for Just After Sunset, as I just read the N. story and wanted to see what other folks thought of it, but Just and After were too short for the engine, it just looked for Sunset. Gave me a lot of threads, so I went and tried to find it on my own and got lost. :doh:

Then I thought :idea: maybe there is a thread for feebs like me to go and ask where certain book discussions or idea discussions are and smarter helpful members provide links.

Heather19
06-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Here you go.
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=8043

and if you're looking for the thread on Just After Sunset
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6376

and I thought there was one specifically for N. but I can't seem to find it

edit: finally found it
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=3801

sarajean
06-13-2009, 02:25 PM
thank you for helping, heather. :huglove:

Whidden
06-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks Heather, exactly what I wanted. :cowboy:

Heather19
06-13-2009, 03:38 PM
You're welcome

Brice
06-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Yes, there is the thread thread, but in order to ask how to find that thread you have to find it. :lol:

sarajean
06-14-2009, 09:16 AM
isn't it pinned?

CrimsonMordred
01-29-2010, 06:28 PM
I think there should be a Dark Tower Role Playing Game on this site. I can make one :onfire:

Brice
01-31-2010, 03:08 AM
At one time something similar was planned. I think maybe you should contact Aaron (one of the directors) and see what he thinks.

alinda
01-31-2010, 05:49 AM
How would that work? Isnt the material needed copyrighted?:unsure:

Brice
01-31-2010, 05:50 AM
Yes, and I imagine that's a potential conflict.

alinda
01-31-2010, 05:52 AM
As I suspected. Still there is a game on SK.com
It's not very exciting (imo) but it's a RP game.:shoot:

Brice
01-31-2010, 05:53 AM
It's still in the early stages. It has potential. :)

alinda
01-31-2010, 06:42 AM
:shoot:

candy
01-31-2010, 06:49 AM
if we changed the names to protect the innocent?

ronald? the mud slinger?

alinda
01-31-2010, 07:10 AM
:clap: way to go Candy....that disguise is most effective, let's do it!:)

Matt
01-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Very much a copyright conflict you guys. It could be someday someone could get official permission from King to develop one but with what is happening on SK.com, don't think that is going to happen. :grouphug:

CrimsonMordred
02-01-2010, 05:14 AM
I've already consulted with Deghain, and she said it's being consulted in the Manager Forum. However, I've already seen 2 other forum RPGs from the Dark Tower Series, but none of them were popular because it wasn't in a site like this...

This is where I get the edge :harrier:

turtlex
02-01-2010, 05:16 AM
I've already consulted with Deghain, and she said it's being consulted in the Manager Forum. However, I've already seen 2 other forum RPGs from the Dark Tower Series, but none of them were popular because it wasn't in a site like this...

This is where I get the edge :harrier:

Matt is the director of this site, my friend. :grouphug:

It's a good idea, but doesn't sound like it's going to happen. We're pretty strict on the copyright thing.

Lots of other wonderful stuff here to do though!

CrimsonMordred
02-01-2010, 06:17 AM
:cry: Yeah, oh well...

(Spoiler Alert, mind you)
.....well wait. Sorry to keep harping on the subject. In the fan fiction section it says that you can do it as long as you don't use Main Characters, only extras and original characters.

I made a game that only allows Original characters, and takes place on Roland's Second Journey toward the Dark Tower (Basically kinda like a sequel, only without Roland and his ka-tet). Hell I didn't even mention the Crimson King because he is nothing but Eyeballs now. No I came up with a completely different storyline all together, I just had it take place in All-World.

Hannah
02-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Why don't you PM Aaron? Like Brice said earlier in this thread, Aaron had a similar idea a while back and did a lot of research into the potential for a DT themed RPG on this site. Aaron is one of the part owners of the site, along with Matt, Dora, and myself. I'm sure he'd love to talk to you about it. :)

CrimsonMordred
02-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Alright I'll do that.

oh... and off the topic for a minute, how do I get a custom title under my name?

Brice
02-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Bribe the staff.

Just kidding. :lol:

turtlex
02-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Oh, no, I definitely agree... bribe the staff!!!

CM - I'll PM you.

Matt
02-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Why don't you PM Aaron? Like Brice said earlier in this thread, Aaron had a similar idea a while back and did a lot of research into the potential for a DT themed RPG on this site. Aaron is one of the part owners of the site, along with Matt, Dora, and myself. I'm sure he'd love to talk to you about it. :)

Good solution!

And don't worry about it CM, we don't really act like we own the place most of the time. :lol:

Hannah
02-08-2010, 10:11 AM
This is true. :lol: