PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Protective Covers For Your Books

Pages : [1] 2

Ari_Racing
11-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Does anyone know where can I purchase those transparent films that protect the dustjackets?

Thanks!

turtlex
11-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Ari - try www.brodart.com

e_taylor
11-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Does anyone know where can I purchase those transparent films that protect the dustjackets?

Thanks!

Theres also dealers on eBay, I find Pages LLC to be great. http://stores.ebay.ca/Pages-LLC-USA

Ari_Racing
11-12-2008, 12:01 PM
THANKS!!! :)

tippy4
11-12-2008, 12:49 PM

Thanks!

Ari,

The Brodart site is a little difficult to navigate in my opinion.

Here is the direct link to the covers I use.

Brodart Fold-On® Archival (http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/cb/product.aspx?pgid=3359&catnum=10425001&attvalueid=25599&attid=12707#prodGrid_bookmark)

I keep two or three sizes on hand, and like to use a cover that is a little longer than the dust jacket itself to make sure it is completely covered.

The height of the cover is never exactly the height of the just jacket, so just use a slightly taller cover and fold it down. It takes some practice, but is not too difficult.

jhanic
11-12-2008, 12:53 PM
All this GREAT information should be moved to its own thread in the Collecting Tutorials forum. It'll be a lot easier to find then.

John

Randall Flagg
11-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Information on protective covers for your collectible books.

tippy4
11-12-2008, 06:39 PM
I just covered my copy of Just After Sunset, and used Brodart # 10-426-005.

This size (10" x 23") fits most of my Stephen King Scribner editions.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-13-2008, 12:26 AM
For those in the UK, D&M Packaging Supplies Ltd are great for Brodart covers, and they also do great covers for paperbacks.

http://www.care4books.com/packaging/page.asp

mae
11-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Is there a very easy how-to, for those of us that are no good with our hands? :) I can never fold stuff right.

I'm wanting to get these protective covers for all my books, but how to order what I need? It's a tad confusing... :pullhair:

tippy4
11-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Pablo,

Just go to Brodart Fold-On® Archival (http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/cb/product.aspx?pgid=3359&catnum=10425001&attvalueid=25599&attid=12707#prodGrid_bookmark), and buy a 25-pack of Brodart # 10-426-005 to give them a try.

It will only cost you $10.75 plus shipping.

These will fit most or all of your Stephen King U.S. first Editions.

If you like them, you can go back and buy different sizes and larger quantities.

They really are not too difficult to put on.

LadyHitchhiker
11-17-2008, 09:00 AM
You can also get vinyl covering - even at Walmart - that you can use for table cloths as covers for your books. My mom used those for years for our schoolbooks.

mae
11-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Pablo,

Just go to Brodart Fold-On® Archival (http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/cb/product.aspx?pgid=3359&catnum=10425001&attvalueid=25599&attid=12707#prodGrid_bookmark), and buy a 25-pack of Brodart # 10-426-005 to give them a try.

If you like them, you can go back and buy different sizes and larger quantities.

Thanks. Since these fit most US first editions, what does that meant in terms of book thickness? Can the same be applied to It or The Stand Uncut and also Pet Sematary? What about smaller-sized books, like The Girl Who Love Tom Gordon, for instance?

e_taylor
11-17-2008, 09:09 AM
You can also get vinyl covering - even at Walmart - that you can use for table cloths as covers for your books. My mom used those for years for our schoolbooks.

I don't know how well that'd be in terms of acid neutrality....

tippy4
11-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Pablo,

Thanks. Since these fit most US first editions, what does that meant in terms of book thickness? Can the same be applied to It or The Stand Uncut and also Pet Sematary? What about smaller-sized books, like The Girl Who Love Tom Gordon, for instance?

I think that size would fit The Stand Uncut and Pet Sematary, but the only way to know for sure would be to measure the DJ.

I used a smaller size on my copy of TGWLTG, but you could use the size I mentioned above and just fold it down, and trim the long side.

Me, I keep two or three sizes just for that reason, but 90% of the ones I use are the size I mentioned above.

mae
11-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks, I'm gonna go ahead and just order fifty. That should cover (pardon the pun) most of my King books.

LadyHitchhiker
11-17-2008, 09:28 AM

Good point. I have no clue. Anyone else know?

carlosdetweiller
11-17-2008, 09:34 AM

I'm not sure that the currently available dust jacket covers (like Bro-Dart and others) are completely acid neutral. They are not made of mylar and don't claim to be of archival quality.

I once discussed this over the phone with L. W. Currey. I had bought a copy of a pretty rare book with an even rarer dust jacket and it arrived with the dj unprotected. I asked him about putting it in a Bro-Dart cover. He replied "Are you sure it is acid-free?" Of course I wasn't sure.

I think that these should be used for dust jacket protection but we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking they are completely safe.

Any chemists or archivists out there who can give us a definitive answer?

mae
11-17-2008, 09:38 AM
The Brodart site says they are archival.

e_taylor
11-17-2008, 09:45 AM
I know theres archival and non-archival from most companies. Brodart used to use acetate, which is acid neutral, but stopped probably 10 years ago in lieu of mylar (which I have no clue about as to its pH level). As far as I know, the only brand that still uses acetate is Gaylord.

http://www.gaylordmart.com/adblock.asp?abid=146&sid=9199F3F581BE4CA081DAACC311A6BA

Although they describe it as polyester....:orely:

Brice
11-17-2008, 09:46 AM

I'm not sure that the currently available dust jacket covers (like Bro-Dart and others) are completely acid neutral. They are not made of mylar and don't claim to be of archival quality.

I once discussed this over the phone with L. W. Currey. I had bought a copy of a pretty rare book with an even rarer dust jacket and it arrived with the dj unprotected. I asked him about putting it in a Bro-Dart cover. He replied "Are you sure it is acid-free?" Of course I wasn't sure.

I think that these should be used for dust jacket protection but we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking they are completely safe.

Any chemists or archivists out there who can give us a definitive answer?

I'm neither, but a brief search yielded some results. Apparently there are archival quality bro-darts that have no printing on the paper backing because the ink used on the others is not acid free (nor is the adhesive on these). The polyester used is however. The archival quality bro-darts use PH neutral adhesive and no ink thus eliminating that problem.

mae
11-17-2008, 09:53 AM
The description of the archival Brodart covers says "Acid-free; chemically inert; will not yellow or crack with age"

carlosdetweiller
11-17-2008, 10:42 AM
The description of the archival Brodart covers says "Acid-free; chemically inert; will not yellow or crack with age"

I've been buying Demco for years without ever paying much attention to anything except size. I've never given much thought to what they are made of.

Now I see (from the catalog) that they are billed as "Archival-safe" whatever that means.

But they also offer (in another section) jacket covers that are acid-free but cost about twice as much. These are probably what I should be using.

One thing I am certain of: I am NOT replacing all my old dust jacket covers with new ones.

Brice
11-17-2008, 10:53 AM

I've been buying Demco for years without ever paying much attention to anything except size. I've never given much thought to what they are made of.

Now I see (from the catalog) that they are billed as "Archival-safe" whatever that means.

But they also offer (in another section) jacket covers that are acid-free but cost about twice as much. These are probably what I should be using.

One thing I am certain of: I am NOT replacing all my old dust jacket covers with new ones.

I'm not suggesting you do it all at once, but maybe it would be worth doing gradually a little at a time....at least with those items that are irreplaceable?

Apparently archival safe just equals no ink and acid neutral adhesive. The polyester I believe is essentially the same (maybe thicker).

Fsmdr
11-17-2008, 10:53 AM
I buy my dustjacket covers from Gaylord :

http://www.gaylordmart.com/adblock.asp?abid=878&sid=09617275BA334D80B02DE49EF4A881&search_by=desc&search_for=s1000&mpc=

For most of my King books, I use the item # S10000

I also buy Large Mylar plastic bags for my art books that are in slipcases. To protect the slipcase from dust and fingerprints in addition to the dustjacket cover.

mae
11-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Woohoo! My Brodarts shipped and should be here very soon. I'll let you guys know. I'll probably need help :panic:

mae
11-18-2008, 04:26 PM
And they're here. That was fast.

I've already tried doing one cover, and am already stuck. Can tippy4 or anyone else who's got experience with these same covers PM me maybe to explain the basics? I mean I'm not stupid, I get how it's done, but I still get the white underpaper peeking through at the edges of the jacket, which is unseemly. I have books I bought with covers already on, and you can't even notice they're on. How do they do that?

Fsmdr
11-18-2008, 04:36 PM
And they're here. That was fast.

I've already tried doing one cover, and am already stuck. Can tippy4 or anyone else who's got experience with these same covers PM me maybe to explain the basics? I mean I'm not stupid, I get how it's done, but I still get the white underpaper peeking through at the edges of the jacket, which is unseemly. I have books I bought with covers already on, and you can't even notice they're on. How do they do that?

Did you mean on the front cover?. Like a white showing on the bottom or the top?. That is usually because the dustjacket was not pushed down to the edge of the bottom fold before the top is folded in, if it's at the top, then maybe a slightly larger Mylar migh be better as it could be folded to fit exactly the jacket.

mae
11-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Yup, I think I got it now. Had to push it all the way to the top and then fold the extra bottom portion down. I think I'm getting the hang of it, actually. The book feels a little fatter, kinda bunched up. I guess I need to crease the cover a bit more so it's flatter.

mae
11-18-2008, 05:20 PM
After two books, a question arises. Anyone with tips on how to avoid waves? I think I'm folding right and everything fits okay (there's even some extra at the ends, depending on how thick the book is). It's just that the jacket is no longer flat but a little wavy, if you know what I mean.

Randall Flagg
11-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Brodart has links providing info on applying 10 different types of covers.
Link to 10 choices (http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_pages/h2guides/downloadable_guides/applying_book_jacket_covers/)

BTW, don't feel bad, I could never easily apply covers.
Also, if this link is thought to be VERY uselful, perhaps we can put it in the first post.

mae
11-18-2008, 06:24 PM
The same instruction sheet is included in the pack of the covers. And I got the hang of it. Folded correctly, with nothing showing on the outside. Yet there's that waviness to the dust jacket now. I'm not sure I like it. Maybe the book needs some time on the shelf to get flat again?

Randall Flagg
11-18-2008, 06:35 PM
It's tough to comment without seeing what you are describing.
Do you think the waviness is only the cover, or are you concerned the waviness will be transfered to tha actual DJ?

mae
11-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Yes, that's exactly my concern. And I can't tell for sure. Perhaps it's just because the jacket is already bent and the cover is straight, and so there's that unevenness at first. Because, like I said, I've got books that I bought used and they were in covers and they were on there perfectly, like gloves. Maybe I just need more practice, or just time for the covers to flatten out. But yeah, I don't want to damage the actual jackets.

e_taylor
11-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Don't fret, its certainly a learning curve. I found one of the first books I wrapped this morning, and theres a quarter inch top and bottom overlap - but now adays I can apply these in my sleep.

mae
11-18-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm thinking I need to trim off the excess and perhaps I've folded them a tad too tight trying to eliminate the white showing. This certainly is harder than I thought it would be. And the slit paper backing isn't helping. Why couldn't it have been whole?

P.S.: Very sorry to have hijacked the thread with my whining. I think I got it now, just needs firmed creasing, I think.

tippy4
11-18-2008, 07:24 PM
The way you wrap the jacket and cover will affect the waviness as well.

First, I place the book in the middle of the cover and fold it in half around the book.

Then I fold in one side and then the other.

I have found that it gets wavy if you just start at one side and work your way to the other.

The whole process takes some getting used to. Try different things until you are happy with your results.

mae
11-18-2008, 07:28 PM
You mean like a dry run without the jacket, to pre-bend the cover? Sound advice, tippy, thank you!

P.S.: Just wanted to say I covered now a few of my oldest books, as well as Just After Sunset. The books look and feel amazing! These Brodart covers turned out to be just the thing, it only took a few tries to get it right. Well, nearly right. I still need practice, but the process is coming along nicely. I'm getting my technique :)

tippy4
11-18-2008, 07:47 PM
no...I mean put the jacket in the cover, and then center the book spine over the cover and fold it up like a taco.

Then fold one flap in and then the other.

mae
11-18-2008, 07:50 PM
no...I mean put the jacket in the cover, and then center the book spine over the cover and fold it up like a taco.

Then fold one flap in and then the other.

Oh yes, that's exactly how I've been doing it from the beginning. I didn't think there'd be another way. I'm just not a natural-born folder, is all :)

mae
11-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Been doing my books. Getting very good at it now. But a weird side-effect occurs, one I didn't foresee. The books become fatter as you cover them in these Brodarts, and so much so that I am forced to reshuffle my whole shelving. SO far I've finished one whole shelf, but the process moved one of the books to the next shelf. At first it became tighter and tighter and then I realized I needed more room because the covers added some thickness. But I didn't think so much. I had the original Stand there on the first shelf, since all my books are in order of publication, but now it'll need to go elsewhere, perhaps to my "miscellaneous" shelf, and I'll just do with the Uncut Stand on my main King shelf.

mae
12-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Well, I'm nearly done covering my King books. This has been fun. I feel much better about them now. A question though: which size Brodart to order for the smaller-sized books, like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Blaze, or The Colorado Kid. I think they're all the same size, but they're shorter than most King hardcovers. I suppose I can use the same cover, but I feel it would add too much to the thickness, so is there a comparable size I should order?

Also, I always take the DJs off when reading a book. With the Brodart on, I'm thinking I should probably keep it on. How do you guys read your books? DJ on or off?

carlosdetweiller
12-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Well, I'm nearly done covering my King books. This has been fun. I feel much better about them now. A question though: which size Brodart to order for the smaller-sized books, like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Blaze, or The Colorado Kid. I think they're all the same size, but they're shorter than most King hardcovers. I suppose I can use the same cover, but I feel it would add too much to the thickness, so is there a comparable size I should order?

Also, I always take the DJs off when reading a book. With the Brodart on, I'm thinking I should probably keep it on. How do you guys read your books? DJ on or off?

I keep three sizes of dj covers, 9",10" and 12". The smaller two sizes fit most every book in my collection. I rarely need the 12" except for something like the hardcover edition of THE CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF, SKELETON CREW S/L, etc.

I read with the dj on.

Patrick
12-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Glad to read of your progress, pablo. :thumbsup:

I also read with the dj on.

mae
12-03-2008, 10:05 AM
I'll also go ahead and cover my Michael Crichton hardcovers, most of which are first editions actually. Some of the earliest ones have somewhat non-mint DJs, and I feel Brodarting them will actually make the look better.

bast_imret
12-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Got my brodart covers in yesterday. Ordered a 25 pack of the reccommended size. Wrapped about 5 books tonight and the tips from this thread really helped alot!

Made sure I had the DJ nice and snug against that bottom crease, then folded excess top mylar down and creased it with my fingernail. Then I set the book on its spine, folded the covered DJ like a taco around the book, and then folded in each flap. Worked perfectly. The bottom edge is nice and clean, and the tops have little to no extra mylar stickup.

Thanks! :clap:

mae
12-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Great job! Took me about 5 books as well to really get the hang of it. Now I just need to find some extra time to finish the job, as I have about 10 or so King books left to cover, and then I need to order some more for the smaller books.

SkippyD023
07-24-2009, 05:55 AM
I need to purchase covers for all of my DJ's and start covering my books but I do have a question about some covers that are on a few books I have purchased. On all the covers I have the white paper that goes behind the DJ has the name of the company, item #, etc.. printed on the sheet. The ones from BrodArt appear to be printed on the paper which might be fine but I have some other covers from Demco that looks as though the information was stamped on the paper with an old fashion ink pad, not sure if this is the case but it is not a even,consistant color across the stamp so it looks like it was applied by hand. My concern is, will the ink over time rub off onto the book? Do I need to worry about this? Do I need to be worried about this with the other covers (BrodArt) as well where it appears to be printed on?

e_taylor
07-24-2009, 06:03 AM
I need to purchase covers for all of my DJ's and start covering my books but I do have a question about some covers that are on a few books I have purchased. On all the covers I have the white paper that goes behind the DJ has the name of the company, item #, etc.. printed on the sheet. The ones from BrodArt appear to be printed on the paper which might be fine but I have some other covers from Demco that looks as though the information was stamped on the paper with an old fashion ink pad, not sure if this is the case but it is not a even,consistant color across the stamp so it looks like it was applied by hand. My concern is, will the ink over time rub off onto the book? Do I need to worry about this? Do I need to be worried about this with the other covers (BrodArt) as well where it appears to be printed on?

If you are worried there are some from Brodart that are specifically archival and have no printing on the back.

Realisticly though, it would probably take hundreds of years for any significant damage to be cause by the ink.

SkippyD023
07-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Does anyone cover/protect there softcover books? I am not thinking of the everyday paperback copies but those books that might have only been issued (or originally issued) as paperbacks (Colorado Kid, Bag of Bones 10th Anniversary, etc..) I see that Brodart has several choices for softcover books and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Also, what about hardcover books without DJ's, how do people protect those?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Patrick
08-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Does anyone cover/protect there softcover books? I am not thinking of the everyday paperback copies but those books that might have only been issued (or originally issued) as paperbacks (Colorado Kid, Bag of Bones 10th Anniversary, etc..) I see that Brodart has several choices for softcover books and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Also, what about hardcover books without DJ's, how do people protect those?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Skippy, for the small paperback books and chapbooks and the like, some members here choose to simply use archival book bags that you can buy online or at most comic book stores.

As far as hardcovers without DJ's, I'll be interested in what other members have to say as well.

pixiedark76
08-10-2009, 10:03 AM
I got from Brodart the Plasti-kleer Dura Savers. I got these because they came in assorted sizes and some of the sizes can re-used for other books. The one I used on Bag of Bones 10th anniversary was the 10"H. The catalog number is 11065010.

pixiedark76
08-10-2009, 10:11 AM
After two books, a question arises. Anyone with tips on how to avoid waves? I think I'm folding right and everything fits okay (there's even some extra at the ends, depending on how thick the book is). It's just that the jacket is no longer flat but a little wavy, if you know what I mean.

When I had waves on my books, I always used a bone folder after I got the cover on the dust jacket. I would go over the entire cover and dust jacket with a bone folder just to make sure everything is nice and tight. Using a bone folder makes the covers nice and flat.

pixiedark76
08-10-2009, 10:19 AM

I myself would prefer not to have any type of writing or stamp on the cover. I had my copy of From a Buick 8 gift edition come with a Demco cover with a stamp on it and I took it off. I did not want to risk such a rare book being ruined.
When it comes to my book club editions or just plain reading copies, I don't care what is on the cover.

SkippyD023
08-25-2009, 11:58 AM
I hope you don't mind me asking this question one more time to see if I can get a response. I was just wondering what people do, if anything, to protect their hardcover books that don't have DJ's. Brodart has a cover (Econo-Fold 10 601 102A) that they say can be used for hardcovers without DJ's but I am not sure how it would stay on the book.

Now that I have all of my hardcovers with DJ's finally protected I thought I would try and move on to some of the other books. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

pixiedark76
08-27-2009, 12:57 PM
For my books like The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer and Kingdom Hospital, I just put the entire book in one of my comic book bags. (Since they are both small.) I also use the size 9 dura cover for my other books without dust jackets.

jhanic
08-27-2009, 03:46 PM
I've always used archival plastic bags for the books without dust jackets when warranted.

John

biomieg
08-28-2009, 05:13 AM
Isn't it way easier to just put every book in an archival bag instead of going through the effort of 'brodarting' them all? Of course, they will most likely not fit as snug so you have a lot of extra material taking up space between the books... unless you pull the bag taut around the book and secure the surplus plastic of the bag with a paperclip at the site opposite the spine of the book... hmmm, just rambling here but that might be the way to go for me if I ever feel compelled to start the daunting task of providing my books with some means of protection...

jhanic
08-28-2009, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't use a paperclip. The metal could possibly damage the book or an adjoining book. I'd tighten the bag with tape.

John

biomieg
08-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Of course you're right, John :) I was sort of thinking out loud as I've never really considered putting protective sleeves around my books (and hence, never thought about the practical side) but this could definitely something I'd give a try (the bags). I'm just not that fond of Brodart covers...

Room 217 Caretaker
08-29-2009, 04:35 AM
Of course you're right, John :) I was sort of thinking out loud as I've never really considered putting protective sleeves around my books (and hence, never thought about the practical side) but this could definitely something I'd give a try (the bags). I'm just not that fond of Brodart covers...

The books on the way to you have the Brodart covers :excited: already

I do have some of my collection in Archive bag. A little warning:

I use clear tape to seal the bag after I've pulled the bag tight around the book. If you ever need to take the book out for any reason, completely remove the tape.

I didn't do that on a bag, pulled the book out and didn't realize the tape had grabbed the back of the jacket. Yep, it pulled a very nice chunk of the jacket off. I learned a valuable lesson. Remove all tape before viewing the book.

It might sound like overkill but I have several in archive bags with a Brodart cover on them.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

biomieg
08-29-2009, 11:19 AM
So it's actually quite common to bag the books? Is there any brand of archival bags you guys would recommend?

jhanic
08-29-2009, 01:18 PM
I don;'t have set brand. I just buy whatever my comics store has.

John

mae
09-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Here's a question: how'd you guys go about Brodarting your Lisey's Story. I have these archival Brodarts but the DJ has a hole in it as part of the design. If I cover it the hole will be covered too...

gsvec
09-13-2009, 08:45 AM
I did a cutout of the paper behind it. Looks great!

pixiedark76
09-13-2009, 06:13 PM
You could buy paperless book cover film. Brodart has a listing on their website. They come in sheets or rolls just like the book covers that have paper backing.

burial
01-03-2010, 11:34 AM

are the Just-a-Fold III (Archival) good?
I can't find any Premium Fold-on (Archival) 10"x23" (maybe it's not available at the moment)... but maybe these Just-a-Fold III are good enough and easy to use...

anyone tried them?

SkippyD023
01-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Here is a link to the Brodart Fold-On Archival (10"x23") as noted in previous posts. I have not used the Just-a-Fold so I am not sure how good they are but the Fold-On Archival work great. I have used them to cover all of the books in my collection.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/cb/product.aspx?pgid=3359&catnum=10426005&attvalueid=42003&attid=19913#prodGrid_bookmark

burial
01-03-2010, 12:49 PM
I was looking on eBay and couldn't find.

I asked Broadart about international shipping a week ago, but had no answer. I think I'll ask again...

thanks!

pixiedark76
07-31-2010, 07:33 PM
What type of book covers do you like better; The covers with paper backing or the covers that are just plastic film and no paper backing?

Is it better for the dust jacket and book itself if the cover has a paper backing; does the paper backing prevent acid and other wear and tear?

I have both paper and paperless covers and I am not sure which type I should continue to buy? Is one type of book cover better than the other?

ELazansky
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I've been using the ones with the paper covers. I like the way they feel. This is from the Gaylord website:

Would you like lined or unlined book jacket covers?
Most Gaylord book jacket covers have a paper liner, which provides a very secure fit as well as added protection to the original jacket. Unlined book jacket covers are often used for books with no original jacket, such as leather bound books or for valued collections where paper liners are not preferred.

Brice
08-05-2010, 05:40 AM
As long as there is no printing on the paper or adhesive of any sort involved the paper lined ones should be fine I think. Adhesives and inks raise problems such as alkalinity/acidity and Ph over time. They can cause damage over time. I'm not sure if these are issues with the paper itself though it very well may be..

pixiedark76
08-05-2010, 10:00 AM
I have been keeping some of my rare books that don't have a slipcase in the bubble wrap that it was shipped in to protect them. The Green Mile slipcase collection I keep in bubble wrap because I am afraid the cloth will get damaged. Is bubble wrap archival safe? Or is it a temporary solution?

Randall Flagg
08-05-2010, 01:40 PM
As long as you don't 'pop it!' The bubble wrap will be fine for a decade or two.

biomieg
08-05-2010, 02:16 PM
If I were to protect an item like the GREEN MILE gift set (I don't) I would be probably tighten an archival bag around it instead of bubblewrap. At least you can still see it that way :)

herbertwest
11-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Today i spent about 1h30 struggling to cover my proofs... and then i remembered that i had some "different" cover products, that i used years ago for one of my Werber's proof.
I found the product back here and it saved me a LOT of hassle (a cover in max 1 min). So i thought that i should share it with you if you wanted to try.

It's called "magic cover", and it uses basically the system of the french flaps (is it the name?).
You put a front cover, then the back cover. You fold it together (kind of), then use the sticky parts, you cut... and done.
It looks a little bit weird because you see the french flaps... (and isnt quite cheap) but it saves a LOT of hassle! (i always been crap at covering books)

I finished covering my books in only a few minutes!

ex :
http://www.amazon.fr/Modling-Feuilles-Protège-Livre-Magic/dp/B002C2PYJ6/
http://www.pixmania.com/fr/fr/930387/art/elba-modling/couvre-livre-magic-cover.html

thegreattim
11-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Throwing in my two cents here:

As far as loose, wavy, or the extra thick effects that people have described here after Brodarting their books, I have found one thing that helps nicely: I stack my books (about 4-5 at a time, all of the same trim size) evenly with their spines alternating directions, i.e face up, then face down. I take the stack and place it between two flat boards lined with felt. I then weight the top board (again evenly) with about 10-15 pounds of pressure. I let that sit for 24 hrs (no more!) and when I remove the books, the jackets are tighter and more compressed and the books take up less space on the shelves. I have never noticed any damage to the book or spine from this treatment.

As far a protecting non-jacketed books I have found this technique (http://www.awfulbooks.com/awfulbooks/extraextra/07%20-%20Brodarting/extra_07%20-%20Brodarting%20naked%20books.html) to be a highly effective, if time consuming process. Link taken from the infrequently updated AwfulBooks.com.

Randall Flagg
11-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the link.

cgallagh44
05-31-2011, 07:21 AM
Looks like I need to get some Brodart covers and start covering my Stephen King books. Not looking forward to the covering process because I'll have about 150 to do. But, I guess it's a hell of a lot better to be safe than sorry...

Shannon
07-03-2011, 04:24 AM
Just started Brodarting my books ... Damn waves!

Ric
07-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Just started Brodarting my books ... Damn waves!

Do you have a bone folder? If not, you should get one.

Shannon
07-03-2011, 01:51 PM
I read that on a post previously in the thread. I think I'm doing them either too tight or too loose, but when I do when extra tight or extra loose, it makes no difference. I give up, lol.

Manco
10-05-2011, 07:31 PM
I just got my first pack of Brodart covers today. I started applying them to some of my books and noticed I am leaving a little bit of white around the borders. I think it is increasing the height of the dust jacket as well (some are like 1/5 of an inch taller). Will this have any sort of negative effect on the jacket over time?

Calling myself a novice at this would be gracious :cool:
I would really appreciate any advice.

TCCBodhi
12-20-2011, 05:32 PM

I just ordered a 25 pack of these, hopefully they'll fit most of what I have except my Grant LSOE editions. I think I'll practice with 1 or 2 of my trade copies first just for practice before I move on to the bigguns. I'm looking forward to opening up these books once I get the covers to protect them. These "bone folders" appear to be just a flattened smooth piece of plastic/bone, I suspect they help crease and fold the protector around the DJ without damage. Any similar object would do the same, yes?

Thanks to all the regulars on here as well as SK himself that have really reignited me after a fairly lengthy dormancy. I don't have the time I'd like to delve more deeply into the forums, but find myself looking through here in any available moments that I have.

biomieg
12-21-2011, 04:16 AM
These "bone folders" appear to be just a flattened smooth piece of plastic/bone, I suspect they help crease and fold the protector around the DJ without damage. Any similar object would do the same, yes?

Yes. I don't even use an object, I do it with my fingers and that works fine too (and I'm a nitpicker when it comes to applying Brodart covers, they need to be straight and tight!). As long as the surface you're working on is solid and smooth it should be okay.

ELazansky
12-21-2011, 04:23 AM

I just ordered a 25 pack of these, hopefully they'll fit most of what I have except my Grant LSOE editions. I think I'll practice with 1 or 2 of my trade copies first just for practice before I move on to the bigguns. I'm looking forward to opening up these books once I get the covers to protect them. These "bone folders" appear to be just a flattened smooth piece of plastic/bone, I suspect they help crease and fold the protector around the DJ without damage. Any similar object would do the same, yes?

Thanks to all the regulars on here as well as SK himself that have really reignited me after a fairly lengthy dormancy. I don't have the time I'd like to delve more deeply into the forums, but find myself looking through here in any available moments that I have.

I use a plastic knife as my bone folder and it works great. It helps to make the creases on the Brodart nice and sharp.

TCCBodhi
12-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Glad I started with a practice book or two before tackling the collectibles. The first 2 tests were pretty piss poor, but after that I zoomed through putting covers on, even with having to make a manipulation to it for 11/22/63 and wearing vinyl gloves that made it a little harder. I was like a kid on Christmas morning being able to open up the books that I've have in the shrink wrap for years. Unfortunately, I had no remarque copies. Now all the mystery is gone on the whole question of "Is it, Isn't it?", and now there is one less opened copy that they could exist in. It was fun to do though.

herbertwest
02-10-2012, 12:27 PM
I always struggled/ fought with covering my books, until i found those : elba magic covers! Anyone tried those?
http://www.pixmania.com/fr/fr/930387/art/elba-modling/couvre-livre-magic-cover.html

Shannon
02-10-2012, 05:10 PM
That looks great! Just kidding, I have no idea what it says, lol. :)

biomieg
02-11-2012, 02:34 AM
It advertises with 'Cover your books in 90 seconds'. That's not fast.

Stockerlone
02-11-2012, 05:56 AM
I always struggled/ fought with covering my books, until i found those : elba magic covers! Anyone tried those?

I have some of them.
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=elba+magic+cover

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=buchschoner&_sacat=0&_odkw=cover+elba&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

herbertwest
02-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Are you the seller?
Because i was planning to buy some more tomorrow, therefore if it's you.. i'll buy those :-)

Stockerlone
02-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Are you the seller?
Because i was planning to buy some more tomorrow, therefore if it's you.. i'll buy those :-)

No...
I also try to find the ´perfect´ one:coo3l:

skyofcrack
02-11-2012, 05:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQlNLMMuLaA

Merlin1958
02-11-2012, 05:40 PM
That's an old tutorial, but thanks for posting!!!

:thumbsup:

Brodart has much easier options now a days!!

skyofcrack
02-11-2012, 05:55 PM

Since people here were still asking about how to wrap their books and most of the videos on YT were doing it wrong, I figured I'd post this official one. I can't make my own at the moment but I used to wrap hundreds of books for the book dealer I worked for so I got good at making sure no white would show. I was cringing watching people cut the excess with the dustjacket right there. So dangerous.

Merlin1958
02-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Since people here were still asking about how to wrap their books and most of the videos on YT were doing it wrong, I figured I'd post this official one. I can't make my own at the moment but I used to wrap hundreds of books for the book dealer I worked for so I got good at making sure no white would show. I was cringing watching people cut the excess with the dustjacket right there. So dangerous.

Hey, it's all good!! Sorry if I sounded wrong. Just now you can get sized covers, but you're right the less "customizing" the better!!!

skyofcrack
02-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Hey, it's all good!! Sorry if I sounded wrong. Just now you can get sized covers, but you're right the less "customizing" the better!!!

Not a problem! I think though, no matter what sizes are available, you will almost always have to trim something to get a perfect fit with no white showing top/bottom, left/right.

I always used Demco sized 10 I think for most. I had a pack of 8's for the smaller books and 12's for the bigger ones.

Merlin1958
02-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Not a problem! I think though, no matter what sizes are available, you will almost always have to trim something to get a perfect fit with no white showing top/bottom, left/right.

I always used Demco sized 10 I think for most. I had a pack of 8's for the smaller books and 12's for the bigger ones.

I like Brodart, but that's just familiarity I suppose. Doesn't matter in the end as long as the book and DJ are protected, right?

skyofcrack
02-11-2012, 09:12 PM
I like Brodart, but that's just familiarity I suppose. Doesn't matter in the end as long as the book and DJ are protected, right?

Absolutely. I'll keep mine on unless I start to see a problem with the ink then I'll switch them out but some of them have been on there and fine since 1984, so nearly 30 years already.

barlow
05-14-2013, 10:03 PM
The local used book store where I bought my Brodarts closed a few months ago and my supply is running out. Has anyone found any good prices for them on line?

Joe315
05-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Were they cheaper than direct from Brodart?

barlow
05-15-2013, 12:46 AM
I was buying the 10" ones for $.50, 12" and 14" ones for $.75. Does Brodart sell to individual people or do you need to be a library or bookstore?

ELazansky
05-15-2013, 02:42 AM
I was buying the 10" ones for $.50, 12" and 14" ones for $.75. Does Brodart sell to individual people or do you need to be a library or bookstore?

I buy mine directly from Brodart - http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jacket-Cover/_/Brodart-Just-A-Fold-III-Archival-Book-Jacket-Covers/?s=MjoxNjo1Ojo6Ojo6MDo%3d

I get the ones that are 23" long and 10" high. A pack of 25 is $10.00 (40 cents each) or 100 for $34.00 (34 cents each).

You don't have to be a library to order from them

barlow
05-15-2013, 05:56 AM

I buy mine directly from Brodart - http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jacket-Cover/_/Brodart-Just-A-Fold-III-Archival-Book-Jacket-Covers/?s=MjoxNjo1Ojo6Ojo6MDo%3d

I get the ones that are 23" long and 10" high. A pack of 25 is $10.00 (40 cents each) or 100 for $34.00 (34 cents each).

You don't have to be a library to order from them

Thanks for the information sir, that definitely sounds like the way to go.

sentinel
05-15-2013, 06:21 AM
I do exactly the same with Brodart. Easy, online, credit card and sometimes they have sales and discounts and closeouts.

TwistedNadine
05-20-2013, 12:00 PM
I do exactly the same with Brodart. Easy, online, credit card and sometimes they have sales and discounts and closeouts.

Ditto. I really like their adjustable softcover book covers, too. Lots of different sizes available for Proofs and ARCs.

Dan
05-20-2013, 02:47 PM

Ditto. I really like their adjustable softcover book covers, too. Lots of different sizes available for Proofs and ARCs.

Do you have a part number for what you use?

sentinel
05-20-2013, 04:54 PM
I don't remember the number but I use Brodart Archival Fold-on covers and Dura Saver plastic covers for paperbacks.
Easy to find on the web site under book supplies

ELazansky
05-20-2013, 05:00 PM
There are a lot of different item numbers due to the variety of heights and lengths available

carlosdetweiller
05-20-2013, 05:49 PM
I've always used the dust jacket covers by Demco rather than Brodart. Many years ago Roy Robbins told me that Demco was clearer and that he thought the books looked sharper and brighter than with the Brodart covers. Not sure if it is true or not. Started using Demco years ago and have never changed.

hyraxia
05-20-2013, 11:50 PM
I've used a few various suppliers, the Demco ones have always been nice - I have a roll that I use for more expensive books, or books where the jacket's a little loose and needs tightening a bit.

TwistedNadine
05-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Many sizes and thicknesses to choose from but here is an example of the Matte finish (which I like) 7.5mil adjustable. Click "more info" in the description and all the sizes are listed.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/book-covers/reusable/_/Brodart-Plasti-Kleer-DuraSavers4?q=11066008&sr=3deee114-80d5-47fd-90a7-6a08181c37d9

Do you have a part number for what you use?

Fsmdr
05-22-2013, 08:54 PM
I've never used Demco, but have bought Gaylord for a long time (item # S10000) and has been very happy with it. Recently switched to Brodart as they were much cheaper. I use quite a lot of plastic covers as I like to replace the plastic covers on almost all the books that I purchased. I like the shiny and crispness of brand new covers. Did not like the Brodart as much. The plastic is thinner and the surface not as shiny as the Gaylord ones. I will be repurchasing the Gaylord once I am finished with my Brodart ones.

ChristineB
05-22-2013, 11:19 PM
What I want to know is why do so many people put DJ covers on DJs that are too small? They don't cover the entire DJ.

TwistedNadine
05-23-2013, 09:12 AM
What I want to know is why do so many people put DJ covers on DJs that are too small? They don't cover the entire DJ.

They're too cheap to buy the proper size?

Joe315
05-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Part of it is that the covers offered aren't made long enough for a standard dust jacket. The ones I buy are 9.5" tall, which covers the height of most trade hardcovers but they don't cover the length. The bigger jacket covers become to cumbersome due to the extra material.

TwistedNadine
05-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Part of it is that the covers offered aren't made long enough for a standard dust jacket. The ones I buy are 9.5" tall, which covers the height of most trade hardcovers but they don't cover the length. The bigger jacket covers become to cumbersome due to the extra material.

Disagree. The size I use fully cover the DJ and tho there is extra material I have not found it to be cumbersome at all. IMO there's no point putting on a cover to protect the DJ if the the DJ isnt fully covered

ELazansky
05-23-2013, 09:47 AM

You could buy it by the roll and then cut each one to its correct length

ChristineB
05-23-2013, 11:05 AM
The ones I have easily cover the whole DJ and all I have to do is cut them off if they are a bit too long, I am with TN here, hate seeing a DJ that is not fully covered.

Randall Flagg
05-23-2013, 11:24 AM

Disagree. The size I use fully cover the DJ and tho there is extra material I have not found it to be cumbersome at all. IMO there's no point putting on a cover to protect the DJ if the the DJ isnt fully covered
I am inept at putting covers on. Can I just send you all of my books and you take care of it for me?

Joe315
05-23-2013, 11:44 AM

Thats just how I feel, although I find it annoying that they aren't made longer.

You could buy it by the roll and then cut each one to its correct length

I have thought about that. Will probably do that next time I buy covers.

TwistedNadine
05-24-2013, 09:39 AM
I am inept at putting covers on. Can I just send you all of my books and you take care of it for me?

Sure. And for the service you wont mind if I hold onto them for an indefinite amount of time, do you?

Joe315
05-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Since we were talking about the book covers, is there a benefit to the paper backed covers over ones that are just mylar?

Merlin1958
05-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Since we were talking about the book covers, is there a benefit to the paper backed covers over ones that are just mylar?

I've always been of the mind set that the paper backed covers are more readily "creased" as you would want for the inside portion of the DJ

Joe315
05-24-2013, 05:48 PM
That is true. I'm more interested in the protection offered by he two types of jackets. I like the paper ones for older jackets that may be more fragile but I think newer jackets are made from better paper stock and don't need the support offered by paper back jacket covers.

Brice
05-28-2013, 10:00 AM
I am completely inept at putting a cover on a dustjacket so much so that I'd likely spend more for a book already with a cover than without one.

at_one
12-15-2013, 08:08 PM
What are the thoughts on using "shrink bags" for books that don't have dust jackets? I was thinking about doing all my proofs and soft covers but wasn't 100% sure about it yet.

Joe315
12-15-2013, 11:41 PM
A lot of people actually use archival bags like those used for comic books for there soft and hardcover books. I think they would be safer then shrink wrapping books.

at_one
12-16-2013, 05:04 AM
A lot of people actually use archival bags like those used for comic books for there soft and hardcover books. I think they would be safer then shrink wrapping books.

Yeah, I read through this entire thread before posting and saw a few people mention the bags but I am more interested in the thoughts about shrink wrapping. For instance, why do you believe the bags would be safer?

Br!an
12-16-2013, 05:10 AM
What are the thoughts on using "shrink bags" for books that don't have dust jackets? I was thinking about doing all my proofs and soft covers but wasn't 100% sure about it yet.

Like Joe said. Bags are readily removable. Shrinkwrap can potentially harm the book or DJ.

I use bags for my comics (w/boards), magazines, softcovers, and hardcovers without dustjackets or slipcases.

They come in various sizes which is good because you will need different sizes.
They also offer a resealable option. I find that the resealable bags are actually useful for comic books or magazines, but not so much for books.
They come in 2 mil and 4 mil thicknesses. The 2 mil is fine for normal use.

Don't worry so much about what they name the bags. It's the measurement that's important. A "book bag" is smaller than a "life magazine bag" for instance. Also the "book bag" is too small for most SK hardcover books.

I recommend cleaning the book well before bagging. I also recommend that the humidity not be high while bagging or you could trap moisture

I buy them here: http://www.bcwsupplies.com/products/sleeves-and-bags/ (http://www.bcwsupplies.com/products/sleeves-and-bags/?search_text=&params[ignore_limit]=1&)

Br!an
12-16-2013, 05:30 AM

Yeah, I read through this entire thread before posting and saw a few people mention the bags but I am more interested in the thoughts about shrink wrapping. For instance, why do you believe the bags would be safer?

A bag is easily removable for access. Shrinkwrap must be destroyed to allow access. Access is always good in order to read the book, display the book, verify copyright info, view signatures and inscriptions, etc..

A bag is reusable. Shrinkwrap is not reusable. It's a matter of convenience and cost.

A bag will not damage the book if properly applied. Shrinkwrap has the potential to damage the book. The ways that is possible are that it could be overly shrunk upon application. It could continue to shrink after application. Moisture can be sealed in promoting mold or mildew. It is thinner than 2 mil (mostly) allowing for possible rub through.

Joe315
12-16-2013, 09:41 AM
I would be worried about damaging the dust jacket or the top and bottom of the spine like Brian said. I would also like to have easy access to the book. If you want to get at a shrink-wrapped copy you have to tear the shrink wrap off and then rewrap it.

at_one
12-16-2013, 10:07 AM
I would be worried about damaging the dust jacket or the top and bottom of the spine like Brian said. I would also like to have easy access to the book. If you want to get at a shrink-wrapped copy you have to tear the shrink wrap off and then rewrap it.

I agree, I definitely wouldn't want to shrink wrap a book w/ a dj, for the same reasons. I was wondering more about shrink wrapping proofs, arc's, and soft covers...most of which aren't my reading copies anyways. Just seems like the wrap would give more of a "back bone" to the book, especially while on a book case or if being displayed.

Merlin1958
12-16-2013, 01:56 PM

I agree, I definitely wouldn't want to shrink wrap a book w/ a dj, for the same reasons. I was wondering more about shrink wrapping proofs, arc's, and soft covers...most of which aren't my reading copies anyways. Just seems like the wrap would give more of a "back bone" to the book, especially while on a book case or if being displayed.

FWIW I have read quite a few "horror" stories regarding leaving books in "Shrinkwrap". I wouldn't risk it. If you really want more rigidity, use a card board leaf like they do for comics and put them in a archival bag. JMHO

at_one
12-16-2013, 02:37 PM

FWIW I have read quite a few "horror" stories regarding leaving books in "Shrinkwrap". I wouldn't risk it. If you really want more rigidity, use a card board leaf like they do for comics and put them in a archival bag. JMHO

That's a good idea...:clap:

Br!an
12-16-2013, 02:46 PM

I agree. Just add a board. Be careful though as much cardboard is acidic. You can purchase archival boards from the same website I linked earlier or elsewhere.

jonahwriter
04-09-2014, 07:54 PM
I've got a trade paperback King signed - not sure where I can buy a protective sleeve for it and what size it would be? it's trade paperback of "Waste Lands". I also have two smaller hardback books without dustjackets I'd like to put into sleeves. I've only ever bought rolls for dustjackets before so kind of new to this and have never protected a non dustjacketed book before so not sure where to start... Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

tippy4
04-09-2014, 08:20 PM
My advice....acquire the missing dust jackets (assuming the books had them in the first place).

Find a good used copy on ebay and take the DJs of them and move them to your books.

Assuming the titles in question are of low value, donate them to your local library.

stroppygoblin
04-10-2014, 01:00 AM
Assuming the titles in question are of low value, donate them to your local library.

That's a really good idea. I have a few 'spare' books that are either BCE's or 1sts with damaged covers that are pretty much worthless. I considered charity shops, but never thought of the local library.

Randall Flagg
04-10-2014, 10:58 AM

That's a really good idea. I have a few 'spare' books that are either BCE's or 1sts with damaged covers that are pretty much worthless. I considered charity shops, but never thought of the local library.
It's a good idea to donate to the library-however our local libraries resell the books (and use the money for libraries).
The libraries don't want to go through every single page of every book looking for offensive remarks, or images that the previous owner(s) may put in the books prior to putting them on their shelves.

Dan
04-10-2014, 11:24 AM

It's a good idea to donate to the library-however our local libraries resell the books (and use the money for libraries).
The libraries don't want to go through every single page of every book looking for offensive remarks, or images that the previous owner(s) may put in the books prior to putting them on their shelves.

They then usually have a big sale where bargains are to be had. Nothing of collectors value, but cheap reading copies. I was buying paperbacks for 50*¢ and books on cd for $2.00.

jhanic
04-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Every once in a while, you can get something collectible. I got a first/first of Justin Cronin's The Twelve for $1 that was in near mint condition.

John

Ben Staad
04-11-2014, 04:56 PM
My local library does the same thing. They actually have a "friends of the library" bookstore located in the library. Almost (if not all) donations go directly to the bookstore. The funds go towards various library functions and supplies. They recently used these funds to purchase a projector for their conference room. I wouldn't mind it so much but I would love to donate some small press stuff and actually have these books available for people to borrow.

Merlin1958
04-12-2014, 05:56 PM
My local library does the same thing. They actually have a "friends of the library" bookstore located in the library. Almost (if not all) donations go directly to the bookstore. The funds go towards various library functions and supplies. They recently used these funds to purchase a projector for their conference room. I wouldn't mind it so much but I would love to donate some small press stuff and actually have these books available for people to borrow.

I was a library volunteer for awhile, and at least here about's they don't appreciate the volumes the way you would think they would. Just food for thought.

Ben Staad
04-13-2014, 03:20 PM
I've had that feeling for awhile now. My old library rarely keep the donations. They told me on multiple occasions that the donated books get sorted by the central library and most books go to one of several charities they work with. The crazy thing is that most book I donated were not in their system and most were bought because they weren't in their system.

I was a library volunteer for awhile, and at least here about's they don't appreciate the volumes the way you would think they would. Just food for thought.

Merlin1958
04-13-2014, 04:09 PM
I've had that feeling for awhile now. My old library rarely keep the donations. They told me on multiple occasions that the donated books get sorted by the central library and most books go to one of several charities they work with. The crazy thing is that most book I donated were not in their system and most were bought because they weren't in their system.

Don't get me wrong, they do wonderful stuff. It's just that they do not, generally speaking, care much about First editions or Special Editions. Their job is to get folks to read, which is admirable!!

Br!an
05-07-2014, 05:45 AM

Don't do that. The Brodart covers are archival. They are PH neutral, and don't off-gas and degrade.

PVC is poisonous. It off-gasses and degrades over time.

edit: I just realized that I responded to a rather old post. It is still a good point though.

Tree705
05-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Let's see if this works made this video years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Tree705/th_DJ002.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Tree705/DJ002.mp4)

Patrick
05-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Nice video, Tree. I don't have one of those clipboard things, but I can see how that would be very helpful for holding the bottom of the DJ in place at the bottom of the cover while you work on the top. Do you have a link to the product you recommend?

Kingfan24
05-19-2014, 04:20 AM
I also thank you for the video, although I don't think I'd handle my King djs that way.

Randall Flagg
05-19-2014, 05:13 AM
Nice video. Thanks.

Tree705
05-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Nice video, Tree. I don't have one of those clipboard things, but I can see how that would be very helpful for holding the bottom of the DJ in place at the bottom of the cover while you work on the top. Do you have a link to the product you recommend?

It is a lot more expensive now I pais about half this price. I would highly recccomend getting on Gatlords mailing list and waiting for a sale they occasionally get to 20% off

Assembly board
http://www.gaylord.com/Library-%26-Office-Supplies/Book-%26-Periodical-Protection-%26-Repair/Book-Jacket-Covers-%26-Supplies/Book-Jacket-Cover-Supplies/Gaylord%26%23174%3B-Book-Jacket-Cover-Assembly-Board/p/1422

Bone folder

http://www.gaylord.com/Archival/Conservation-Tools-%26-Equipment/Bone-Folders/Gaylord%26%23174%3B-5-1-2%22-Genuine-Bone-Folder/p/6480

Tree705
05-19-2014, 09:30 AM
I also thank you for the video, although I don't think I'd handle my King djs that way.

How do you mean that?

Br!an
07-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Brodart is having a sale.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/ShopEarly_banner/ (http://www.shopbrodart.com/Shop-Early?campaign=ShopEarly_banner/medium=HomePage_Banner/date=07_21_2014)

http://www.shopbrodart.com/_resources/www/brodart/_system/content/images/07_21_2014_ShopEarly_land.jpg

jhanic
08-23-2014, 07:48 AM
Those dates are all back in July.

John

Br!an
08-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Those dates are all back in July.

John

So was my post.

They are having a 25% sale right now through tomorrow though.

jhanic
08-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Oops! Sorry, Brian.

John

terrier91
11-21-2014, 12:48 AM
How about paperbacks? I'd love to have a custom slipcase made for my signed copy of Joyland (along with a few of my other Hard Case Crime signed copies). Anyone here ever had any made or made your own?

stroppygoblin
11-21-2014, 01:26 AM
How about paperbacks? I'd love to have a custom slipcase made for my signed copy of Joyland (along with a few of my other Hard Case Crime signed copies). Anyone here ever had any made or made your own?

Jeff Whiley (jefferyWhiley@ntlworld.com) makes fantastic slipcases for very reasonable prices. (see examples below).
He is UK based so factor in shipping, but he makes to order and can customise based on your requirements.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/stroppygoblin/2F03537F-67D6-4D10-8510-DD89789F13D9_zpslmatc4vc.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stroppygoblin/media/2F03537F-67D6-4D10-8510-DD89789F13D9_zpslmatc4vc.jpg.html)

For Joyland there was a case made for the SC by Cemetery Dance (out of stock, but they show up on eBay occasionally) :
http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/o_king92slipcase01.jpg

And one available for the HC from Tomas @ StephenKingCollector.com
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mPWDNnuBygEP-dw8zeWEPaQ.jpg

terrier91
11-21-2014, 01:32 AM
Thanks man, those look amazing! I bought my copy of Joyland from Betts. I'm not a full time King collector, though I am a fan. I mostly collect the paperbacks from Hard Case, along with any interesting Richard Matheson that I come across.

skyofcrack
12-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Brodart 20% off sale through Sunday.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/_resources/www/brodart/_system/content/images/12_15_2014_Webluv_land.jpg (http://www.shopbrodart.com/)

Edit: I made the image clickable. ;)

Merlin1958
12-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Simon, can you post an actual link? The website you listed doesn't come up in my google search for some reason.

skyofcrack
12-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Simon, can you post an actual link? The website you listed doesn't come up in my google search for some reason.

See above. Click image. Who's Simon?

stroppygoblin
12-17-2014, 01:28 AM

I am Simon :)

http://www.mattfind.com/12345673215-3-2-3_img/movie/m/r/r/mercury_rising_1998_198x300_269252.JPG

Bill, which link are you referring too?

Merlin1958
12-17-2014, 10:06 AM

I am Simon :)

http://www.mattfind.com/12345673215-3-2-3_img/movie/m/r/r/mercury_rising_1998_198x300_269252.JPG

Bill, which link are you referring too?

For Jeff Whiley.

stroppygoblin
12-17-2014, 03:45 PM
For Jeff Whiley.

Ah Ok, Jeff doesn't have a website, all his work is from referrals. - just email him direct at that address and tell him what you need.

Merlin1958
12-17-2014, 03:48 PM
For Jeff Whiley.

Ah Ok, Jeff doesn't have a website, all his work is from referrals. - just email him direct at that address and tell him what you need.

Ahh, okay many thanks.

Cordial Jim
03-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Does anyone know how effective Brodart archival book covers are against UV rays and book sunning? Brodart's website says, quote, "The damaging effect of UV rays can be minimized with the application of Brodart Book Jacket Covers." The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about moving my King trade hardcovers bookshelf to a room that gets a fair amount of sunlight (filtered through a bunch of trees). The books would get minimal actual direct sunlight. I'm just not sure how much actual protection the covers provide.

Br!an
03-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Good question.

Polyester, like the Brodart book cover, actually absorbs UV light.

I have no idea how much. You've sparked my interest and I'll let you know what I find...

allasorte
03-28-2015, 07:49 AM
Does anyone know how effective Brodart archival book covers are against UV rays and book sunning? Brodart's website says, quote, "The damaging effect of UV rays can be minimized with the application of Brodart Book Jacket Covers." The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about moving my King trade hardcovers bookshelf to a room that gets a fair amount of sunlight (filtered through a bunch of trees). The books would get minimal actual direct sunlight. I'm just not sure how much actual protection the covers provide.

I honestly do not know. But I do this. I have bookcases. The real bookcases where they actually have doors. Some people call bookshelves bookcases, but without the doors they aren't bookcases. I have windows, but the blinds are never opened in the book room. Every jacket is mylar wrapped and the sun never comes in. That is the safest thing to do. Mylar is not a word in lowercase? Weird

allasorte
03-28-2015, 07:59 AM
Here's what I learned on trial and error. First, I love Brodart. I posted this same information on SKCollector to help someone out. So I buy the wraps as individual cut pieces of like 25 at a time. I store them in a drawer. I learned to wrap my books myself with trial and error on cheap jackets. It is very easy and you can find videos all over the place these days. I buy 1.5 mil super clear econo-fold 25 pieces of the larger sleeves for the larger books. These are just a sheet with a small 2 inch piece of plastic attached to the bottom. The plastic will not cover the back of the jacket, but they work amazing for the tight CD slipcases. They have smaller ones perfect for the PS Publishing smaller limited books too. It was like 8.00 for 25 of them, so that is a steal in my book. But the shipping is UPS so it is high but quick delivery. I like to cover the WHOLE jacket and trim some of the wrap off if necessary as you will never see the scissor lines inside the book. You would only trim the wrap if there is excess wrapping, not the dust jacket.

The other sleeves I love are the larger just-a-fold II. I usually go 1.5 mil super clear 12" high and 24" long and trim if needed. They have the paper attached to the plastic and they have 3 small adhesive tabs. Easier then a hole strip of adhesive. These are for normal books without slipcases and for SKCollector slipcases. They work great. I know it gets costly to buy things like this, but to protect collective books, it is way worth it.

There are videos of how to wrap your books on youtube. I learned myself and got better at it the more I did it. I'd advise to watch a video, practice on a cheap book. The simple plastic sheets are thin, but much easier to use. The paper backing ones are a bit harder to do and timely when the jacket has been on a book for a long time. You simply place the jacket inside the wrap, rub it down flat, gently push it down inside flush to the bottom. I hope I helped.

Br!an
03-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Good question.

Polyester, like the Brodart book cover, actually absorbs UV light.

I have no idea how much. You've sparked my interest and I'll let you know what I find...

So it isn't easy to find the information. What I did find is that polyester is the best material to filter UV light. They sometimes will laminate other materials to the polyester when making a UV protective film. They will also add stabilizers to keep the polyester from degrading as it absorbs the UV light. The Brodart cover is polyester and has stabilizers making it one of the best possible book covers.

However you might consider covering the window of the room in a UV resistant film. That would help ensure that your books weren't being harmed.

Br!an
03-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Some people call bookshelves bookcases, but without the doors they aren't bookcases.

Two shelves is not a bookcase since there is no case. Two shelves in a cabinet is a bookcase regardless of doors. A bookcase with doors is definitely preferable.

Sorry for the correction, but I am a cabinetmaker.

Mylar is not a word in lowercase? Weird

Mylar is a brand name for PET; a type of polyester film. Kind of like Coke is a brand name for a type of cola.

Merlin1958
03-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Some people call bookshelves bookcases, but without the doors they aren't bookcases.

Two shelves is not a bookcase since there is no case. Two shelves in a cabinet is a bookcase regardless of doors. A bookcase with doors is definitely preferable.

Mylar is a brand name for PET; a type of polyester film. Kind of like Coke is a brand name for a type of cola.

"Check out the big brain on, Brian" LOL J/K

I figured since, Winston Wolf is in your sig you would appreciate the joke. Love me some "Pulp Fiction"!!!

Cordial Jim
03-28-2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks Br!an and allasorte. That information helps.

I actually already have brodart covers on all my hardcovers. I normally wouldn't care about which room I move my books to, but in this case I'm a little worried -- the room in question is... *gasp*... the sun room! I know, it sounds outrageous, right. But the room is surrounded by Oak, Hickory and Pine trees, and thick bushes. Curtains are on all the windows (although they won't always be closed) except the sky windows. The bookshelf would be on the back wall, farthest from the windows. I thought maybe since all the books are covered in Brodart Archival that it might be doable. Also, the first six books in my King collection are not First Editions (they are the larger Book Club's, in Fine condition). It would be complete madness to put up a First Edition Carrie or 'Salem's Lot in the sun room! Everything after The Dead Zone is a 1st/1st. I have other options, but this is the best of them. We're having major space issues in our house (and my growing book collection is not helping matters).

allasorte
03-29-2015, 08:10 AM

Great to know. Thank you.

Br!an
03-29-2015, 10:51 AM

Mylar is not a word in lowercase? WeirdMylar is a brand name for PET; a type of polyester film. Kind of like Coke is a brand name for a type of cola.

"Check out the big brain on, Brian" LOL J/K

I figured since, Winston Wolf is in your sig you would appreciate the joke. Love me some "Pulp Fiction"!!!

http://originaldave77.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/pinky-and-the-brain-flag-wallpaper-2560x1600-large2.jpg

Merlin1958
03-29-2015, 10:59 AM
LOL I was a little worries you took it the wrong way for a while there!! LOL

needfulthings
03-29-2015, 02:23 PM
Thanks Br!an and allasorte. That information helps.

I actually already have brodart covers on all my hardcovers. I normally wouldn't care about which room I move my books to, but in this case I'm a little worried -- the room in question is... *gasp*... the sun room! I know, it sounds outrageous, right. But the room is surrounded by Oak, Hickory and Pine trees, and thick bushes. Curtains are on all the windows (although they won't always be closed) except the sky windows. The bookshelf would be on the back wall, farthest from the windows. I thought maybe since all the books are covered in Brodart Archival that it might be doable. Also, the first six books in my King collection are not First Editions (they are the larger Book Club's, in Fine condition). It would be complete madness to put up a First Edition Carrie or 'Salem's Lot in the sun room! Everything after The Dead Zone is a 1st/1st. I have other options, but this is the best of them. We're having major space issues in our house (and my growing book collection is not helping matters).

Hell.... Just do what I did..... Put book shelves over the windows.:doh:
http://imageshack.com/a/img912/4116/9DKndM.jpg

Cordial Jim
03-30-2015, 04:07 PM
LOL! Awesome paperback collection, needfulthings! Impressive. :thumbsup:

Merlin1958
03-31-2015, 08:48 PM
Simple solution!!!

Cordial Jim
04-01-2015, 03:27 PM
Well, I've done it. The bookshelf has been moved to the sun room (the sun room that doesn't really get all that much sun). There's no turning back now. I guess we'll find out how effective the Brodart Archival book covers are against UV. I'm a little worried about my Firestarter (the earliest King first edition that I have) which I've had since 1982. It'll be alright though. This will probably only be temporary anyway (if I can ever finish the unfinished basement).

allasorte
04-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Brodart has a 25% off sale of supplies from April 12-18 if anyone is looking to protect their books :)

jsweet
06-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Sale at ShopBrodart.com right now - 15 percent off online orders using code WEB15 through June 21

allasorte
07-11-2015, 12:05 PM
A little off topic, I have the Easton Press Dead Zone black leather first edition book. It has a scuff on it. Has anyone repaired leather before? Should I attempt to do this? If so, any thoughts on what leather repair kit is worth buying? Thanks for any information, P.S. I don't think markers would be an answer.

needfulthings
07-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Try Meltonian Shoe Cream.

allasorte
07-12-2015, 05:36 AM

I ordered some and I will let you know what happens. I have some spray/cleaner, but that didn't work as I sprayed it on a rag and dabbed the spot. Thanks, I'll keep you posted. If you need me to throw apples into anyone's windows as repayment.....I know someone I can do that too. :)

allasorte
07-15-2015, 04:20 PM

Well......it worked! I got the cream via mail today. I used an old sock and dabbed the spot and it matched, black, perfectly. You can still see the mark, but it is blended in with the book and very hard to see. Noticeable when looking, but it isn't a problem anymore. It seemed to have dried after 2 hours, but I plan on leaving it out for the day to be sure. Always, you know best. Thanks!!!

needfulthings
07-15-2015, 04:40 PM
YOU'RE WELCOME.
& you can also use it on your shoes.:lol:

allasorte
07-15-2015, 06:26 PM
YOU'RE WELCOME.
& you can also use it on your shoes.:lol:

I have some red wing boots from before the movie the Matrix. And no bullshit, I saw the movie and bitched Reeves was wearing my boots and stole my style! Mine have laces so he was simply lazy to not tie his own shoes, but I still have them and wear them sparingly as they were pricey and I love them. But yes, for the small amount I bought and the 2 tiny dabs off the lid I used, I do have some left over lol.

jsmcmullen92
08-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Brodart 20% off through 8/9
Code: WEB20

allasorte
08-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Brodart sale 25% off until this Sunday. webluv is the code......I believe. I just used it for some Mylar wraps :).

AKC
09-29-2015, 05:01 AM
So, what is the Item # for the Brodart Covers that most use for their books?

I, up until now, have historically used Gaylord but they discontinued my Item.....

Tks....

jsmcmullen92
09-29-2015, 05:04 AM

I, up until now, have historically used Gaylord but they discontinued my Item.....

Tks....

I use the Advantage II (http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jacket-Cover/_/Brodart-Advantage-II-Book-Jacket-Covers/) I buy them by the 100 for the 21" x 10" then I buy 25 packs of the 25' x 12.5" for the larger books...

ELazansky
09-29-2015, 05:42 AM

Tks....

These are the ones I use - http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jacket-Cover/_/Brodart-Just-A-Fold-III-Archival/

killjoy72
09-29-2015, 05:48 AM
I have been using these- BRODART FOLD-ON ARCHIVAL BOOK JACKET COVERS
(http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jacket-Cover/_/Brodart-Fold-On-Archival-Book-Jacket-Covers/)

Br!an
09-29-2015, 06:38 AM
I have been using these- BRODART FOLD-ON ARCHIVAL BOOK JACKET COVERS
(http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jacket-Cover/_/Brodart-Fold-On-Archival-Book-Jacket-Covers/)

I use these too. SKU #: 10426005

jsmcmullen92
09-29-2015, 06:43 AM
See I never liked the fold ons, they were never "secure" enough for me and i felt like they added too much thickness to the jacket with the overlap in the middle and then folding more up.

allasorte
09-29-2015, 08:21 AM

Tks....

I love to protect the whole jacket when I can. Brodart just a fold II. 1.5 mil super clear. 12" high for most larger books and 10" for small ones like Joyland types. Cemetery Dance slipcases are tight so Brodart are usually impossible to use, therefore I buy the single sheets for CD books. I'm blank at the moment of what these sheet ones are called.

allasorte
09-29-2015, 08:24 AM

Tks....

http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jacket-Cover/_/Brodart-Econo-Fold-Book-Jacket-Covers/
For CD books with slipcases

http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jacket-Cover/_/Brodart-Just-A-Fold-II/?s=MjoxNjo1Ojo6Ojo6MDo%3d
For everything else

jsmcmullen92
09-29-2015, 08:55 AM
How do the econo folds work? I looks like it literally lays on top or that you have to stick it to the jacket.

allasorte
09-29-2015, 09:59 AM
How do the econo folds work? I looks like it literally lays on top or that you have to stick it to the jacket.

I do this. Bottom of dust jacket in the added flap. Take top and fold snug to the top of jacket. Use the folding tool to help. There might be a video on their site but it is super easy. Doesn't protect inside of jacket but they work great for CD slipcases. Never buy this type of wrap with adhesive tabs.

killjoy72
09-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Brodart 15% off sale now through 10/4.
Promo code: WEB15

becca69
11-25-2015, 08:39 AM
I've run out of my Brodart covers and want to try the type that doesn't have paper backing. Does anyone have suggestions on the best brand to use? I've found some at Demco, Kapco & Gaylord but it doesn't look like Brodart carries them. Thoughts?

allasorte
11-25-2015, 04:35 PM
I've run out of my Brodart covers and want to try the type that doesn't have paper backing. Does anyone have suggestions on the best brand to use? I've found some at Demco, Kapco & Gaylord but it doesn't look like Brodart carries them. Thoughts?

http://www.shopbrodart.com/Book-Jacket-Cover/_/Brodart-Econo-Fold-Book-Jacket-Covers/
You mean these? If you scroll down they have individual ones. I usually buy the 12" high ones for CD books

peripheral
01-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Apologies if this is already covered on this thread, but I couldn't see it...

Where can I get those archival sleeves / bags for paperbacks and ARCs? If there's no equivalent product in Australia, I'll import them.

Br!an
01-06-2016, 01:40 PM
If there is a comic shop near you they might have them.

You want Mylar or polyester Bags. Mylar is a stronger variant of polyester.

They usually come in 2 mil and 4 mil thicknesses. 2 Mil is fine for most books.

I wouldn't bother with self sealing bags. It's easier to just fold them over and tape them.

There are several suppliers depending on what you want and how many you want.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/comic-supplies/comic-bags
http://www.uline.com/Grp_3/Poly-Bags-Flat-Open
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-353-comic-mylar-polyester-sleeves.aspx

There is someone else that I can't remember right now.

peripheral
01-06-2016, 02:17 PM
If there is a comic shop near you they might have them.

You want Mylar or polyester Bags. Mylar is a stronger variant of polyester.

They usually come in 2 mil and 4 mil thicknesses. 2 Mil is fine for most books.

I wouldn't bother with self sealing bags. It's easier to just fold them over and tape them.

There are several suppliers depending on what you want and how many you want.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/comic-supplies/comic-bags
http://www.uline.com/Grp_3/Poly-Bags-Flat-Open
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-353-comic-mylar-polyester-sleeves.aspx

There is someone else that I can't remember right now.

Awesome Br!an, just found a local seller. Thank you

Br!an
01-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Awesome! The force is strong in you.

Is it a comic store or did you find it online?

peripheral
01-06-2016, 02:26 PM

Comic store that has an online presence, but I think I'll wander in on the weekend. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Br!an
01-06-2016, 02:31 PM

Comic store that has an online presence, but I think I'll wander in on the weekend. Thanks again :thumbsup:

No problem.

I bag almost everything. Just be sure it isn't too humid when you bag the books. Living in Florida I know humid. I always run the A/C awhile before bagging books.

FennyBate
01-12-2016, 08:44 PM

Hello peripheral - if you're still looking for bags, these guys have a few options: http://www.bookcoverco.com.au/polybags.html
They're good for general book covering supplies, but I don't use their dust jacket protection - way too thick. I stick with Brodart.
Lincoln.

peripheral
01-12-2016, 10:03 PM

Hello peripheral - if you're still looking for bags, these guys have a few options: http://www.bookcoverco.com.au/polybags.html
They're good for general book covering supplies, but I don't use their dust jacket protection - way too thick. I stick with Brodart.
Lincoln.

Awesome Lincoln, these guys are literally a few kms away from me. Can I ask where you source brodart in Melbourne?

peripheral
01-12-2016, 10:31 PM

Lincoln.

Oh, and welcome! :)

FennyBate
01-12-2016, 10:35 PM
I order it from the US, via eBay.
Have found one bookshop, in Malvern, that sells them, but they charge $2 per cover. I'll look up the ebay seller, and pass on their name if you like?
Thanks for the welcome, will drop into the Introduce Yourself thread, later.
Lincoln.

peripheral
01-13-2016, 03:48 AM
I order it from the US, via eBay.
Have found one bookshop, in Malvern, that sells them, but they charge $2 per cover. I'll look up the ebay seller, and pass on their name if you like?
Thanks for the welcome, will drop into the Introduce Yourself thread, later.
Lincoln.

Cheers mate!

FennyBate
01-13-2016, 04:55 PM
Here you go, peripheral - http://stores.ebay.com.au/John-Balls-Books/Just-A-Fold-Book-Covers-/_i.html?_fsub=798173017&_sid=23313847&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

peripheral
01-13-2016, 07:16 PM
Here you go, peripheral - http://stores.ebay.com.au/John-Balls-Books/Just-A-Fold-Book-Covers-/_i.html?_fsub=798173017&_sid=23313847&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Awesome, thanks. I was using protective covering from a distributor in Knox City, but they do not have the complete pocket style (i.e., the inside paper wrap). I will have a look at these guys. Cheers again

FennyBate
01-13-2016, 07:27 PM

Awesome, thanks. I was using protective covering from a distributor in Knox City, but they do not have the complete pocket style (i.e., the inside paper wrap). I will have a look at these guys. Cheers again

No worries, mate. Just make sure you add about 25mm/1 inch to the height of the dustjacket when ordering - don't try and order an exact fit.

wolfehr
01-18-2016, 01:55 PM
Broadart is running a sale this week.

Mon 1/18 - Tue 1/19 >> 25% off with code MT25
Wed 1/20 - Thur 1/21 >> 20% off with code WT20
Fri 1/22 >> 15% off with code F15

Disclaimer at the bottom of the email >> Discount is valid for online US orders only. Applies only to products, not to shipping charges, and may not be combined with any other preferred pricing. Not applicable to closed orders and orders already in process. Some exclusions apply; call for details. Sale ends 01.22.2016.

Lurker
03-29-2016, 04:26 PM
I've been covering new books today and a lot of times the excess on the flaps, especially smaller books keeps them from closing. I am not good with getting a straight line with scissors. Then I thought of my stamp mount cutter and yes! It cuts a perfectly straight edge in one fell chop. This cutter only goes to 8.5 inches, but flipping the regular size dj's works and they do make bigger mount cutters. May have to look into one.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac54/ICONfan/cutter_zpsbcc44fyy.jpg

allasorte
04-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Question.
Purchased the Black House S/L and the sticker at the bottom left residue on the leather. Lightly tried goo gone.....nothing. Should I try black leather polish?

FennyBate
04-02-2016, 11:58 AM
I've been covering new books today and a lot of times the excess on the flaps, especially smaller books keeps them from closing. I am not good with getting a straight line with scissors. Then I thought of my stamp mount cutter and yes! It cuts a perfectly straight edge in one fell chop. This cutter only goes to 8.5 inches, but flipping the regular size dj's works and they do make bigger mount cutters. May have to look into one.

Yeah, much easier than scissors. I bought a cheap paper guillotine from 'Officeworks'. Will cut common sized covers in one go.

dnemec
04-02-2016, 12:11 PM

Yeah, much easier than scissors. I bought a cheap paper guillotine from 'Officeworks'. Will cut common sized covers in one go.

Hmmm...never thought of using my big paper cutter for covers. I might have to try that!

LokiJake
05-02-2016, 12:04 PM
thanks for the helpful links

cryptkeeper
05-30-2016, 01:30 PM
What size archival/comic book bags do you recommend for the Cemetery Dance's Stephen King books like "It" and "Salem's Lot"? Where do you obtain them? They're big books.

Also, is it safe to use archival tape on the protective covers to fasten them to the books?

Joe315
05-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Not sure about the comic book bags, but don't tape anything to your books. The covers should stay on just fine.

allasorte
06-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Figured I would ask this odd question here. I am making a huge life change and moving to another state: Florida. Today is June 6th. I'm moving July 14th or around there. I have roughly 160 books to pack, bubble wrap, etc. So, if I packed them say in a week, would they be OK? Meaning, they will be in A/C in my house, boxed, and obviously cared for as I await moving. Getting a jump on the move so I'm not running around when it is crunch time. Will the books be OK sitting boxed up for roughly a month before I have to move? Thanks.

Br!an
06-08-2016, 03:25 AM
First off, welcome to Florida.

I think you'll be fine boxing the books. I've had books that remained packaged for longer with no problems.

allasorte
06-08-2016, 04:26 AM

I think you'll be fine boxing the books. I've had books that remained packaged for longer with no problems.

I love the cold weather, will miss that the most, plus the ethnic food. It will be way north, Jacksonville area, and winter there is shockingly in the 40s so that will make me feel a little better. But, I need to do something as I'm not afraid to change for the better. As always thanks Brian. You truly are the Brain. :)

allasorte
06-12-2016, 02:13 PM

I'm basically using smaller type boxes. 16 by 12 by 12. Sturdy boxes. I lace the bottom with packing paper. I wrap each book individually with 4-5 12" pieces of bubble wrap and I usually stand them up. The top of the box is then filled with packing paper or even thin jackets. So far things seem solid. I'm guessing when finished I will have roughly 18 boxes of books. If anyone is curious, I recommend buying bubble wrap online only. Way cheaper!!!!!

skyofcrack
06-12-2016, 02:28 PM
I store my really expensive books in waterproof containers from The Container Store.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ea/e8/b7/eae8b7fee0fa80b8ba5a302def51cb58.jpg

Randall Flagg
06-12-2016, 02:29 PM
Keep the boxes of books well below 35 LBS. each. Tall boxes will eventually topple (unless you personally pack, load, carry, unload, unpack each box). The heavier the box the more likely somewhere along the line that it will be dropped, slid, thrown over, etc.

allasorte
06-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Keep the boxes of books well below 35 LBS. each. Tall boxes will eventually topple (unless you personally pack, load, carry, unload, unpack each box). The heavier the box the more likely somewhere along the line that it will be dropped, slid, thrown over, etc.
Thanks guys. These are small boxes for moving only and I'll be the only one handling them. 16" by 12" by 12". Makes me nervous moving as this will be the first time I have ever done something like this. Being anal with all of them. Hundreds of feet of bubble wrap for sure!

skyofcrack
06-12-2016, 08:54 PM
When carrying boxes always have one hand underneath to prevent the bottom from breaking open.

Randall Flagg
06-14-2016, 01:36 PM
When carrying boxes always have one hand underneath to prevent the bottom from breaking open.
And the other hand to shove people out of the way of your valuable books.

jsmcmullen92
06-15-2016, 05:11 AM
And the other hand to shove people out of the way of your valuable books.

I just attach spikes to the front of the boxes and walk at a quick pace without looking...

Beverly Marsh
06-16-2016, 07:49 AM
The next time one of you decides to come to Maine to visit, do a tour, etc. let me know. I'll pay you in alcohol to come put brodart covers on. I have less hair because of these. Yes Brian, do an instructional video!

(no drinking the alcohol WHILE putting the covers on :wink: )

zelig
06-16-2016, 08:06 AM
I found what helps is that you put the book on the top right edge after you have the jacket inserted and aligned. That tends to hold down that section. Then you straighten the other side and then flap the bottom plastic over and start pressing down on the fold. Hope that makes sense.

cryptkeeper
06-16-2016, 08:16 AM
The next time one of you decides to come to Maine to visit, do a tour, etc. let me know. I'll pay you in alcohol to come put brodart covers on. I have less hair because of these. Yes Brian, do an instructional video!

(no drinking the alcohol WHILE putting the covers on :wink: )

Wouldn't dream of drinking alcohol while or during putting the covers on, but afterwards...

I use a bone folder and I keep the fold tightened as a move along with it. It's hard to explain; but I've seen videos on YouTube. I practiced on some of my less prized books first. It didn't take too long to get the hang of it. I used the Bodart fold-on sheets. But I had to use bigger sizes on my CD books. Does anyone here use the Bodart rolls?

stroppygoblin
06-17-2016, 08:11 AM
I use a bone folder and I keep the fold tightened as a move along with it. It's hard to explain; but I've seen videos on YouTube. I practiced on some of my less prized books first. It didn't take too long to get the hang of it. I used the Bodart fold-on sheets. But I had to use bigger sizes on my CD books. Does anyone here use the Bodart rolls?

I use a roll. It cost me an arm and a leg to ship to the UK (Damn thing is HEAVY!) but its lasted well. I've covered a lot of books and still have about a 3rd left for new ones.

Br!an
06-17-2016, 08:39 AM
The nice thing about the roll is that you can cut it to size. I hate using a cover that is not as wide as the dustjacket. It just doesn't do the job.

dnemec
06-18-2016, 01:51 PM
I use the rolls too, Beverly. Don't worry - after you've covered a few hundred, it becomes easier!

cryptkeeper
06-18-2016, 04:18 PM
The nice thing about the roll is that you can cut it to size. I hate using a cover that is not as wide as the dustjacket. It just doesn't do the job.

I've had to use the next size up and fold/crease it along the bottom to cover the entire dust jacket. I'd feel better using the size that fits properly, not having to crease it along the bottom of the dust jacket, and without all the excess. I'm going to buy a role next time.

Beverly Marsh
06-21-2016, 08:04 AM
I use the rolls too, Beverly. Don't worry - after you've covered a few hundred, it becomes easier!

Lol, if I'm not in a brodart induced coma by then I will remember this!

Thanks for the little tips and tricks everyone. I can't say that I've tried anything yet. I'm waiting for my blood pressure to decrease....

jsmcmullen92
06-22-2016, 08:51 AM

Lol, if I'm not in a brodart induced coma by then I will remember this!

Thanks for the little tips and tricks everyone. I can't say that I've tried anything yet. I'm waiting for my blood pressure to decrease....

Ha I remember when I bought my first box of 100 and started backlogging on all the books I had. 3 days later I had 4 paper cuts and about 75 books covered. I now hate covering them so I just buy them and put them in a stack until it gets too tall and finally force myself to cover them.
I will say the best trick I have is
1. Use a bone folder (or something soft edged) to pre-crease the paper first and then the plastic to the size of the jacket before applying the adhesive strip if you are using those.
2. Always have two lighter books i.e. FDNS and Cujo and lay them on top of the brodart with the jacket in it to hold down the flaps for you. If not the brodart will be near impossible to to get snug all the way around.

allasorte
06-22-2016, 05:00 PM
One of the guys on here mentioned something to me that really helped with not getting that white paper lip on the top. I always used to fold the paper and the plastic together. That allows or usually gave me that extra lip of white paper a tad higher then the plastic when folded together. So, I would line up the bottom of the jacket in the fold several times by flattening the jacket. Take something not too heavy to hold one corner and pressing to the non-held side multiple times. Now, I fold just the paper first. Taking my time! Then the plastic after. The bone folder always works nice after the fact. I buy the 3 tab adhesive Brodart sleeves. My jackets look much more professional now. Thanks to the member here whom I forgot their name :(. Too many members. which is a good thing.

Patrick
06-29-2016, 01:37 PM
Beverly, these guys got me so freaked out that after I ordered a bunch of Brodart covers, I let them sit for a few YEARS before ever attempting to install one (no exaggeration). Once I did a few, I realized it wasn't as difficult as many collectors make it out to be. Or maybe I just got lucky and finally found my one true talent in life. If so, how can I make a living at this?

jsmcmullen92
06-29-2016, 04:22 PM
If you want to make a living at it just become a librarian. I swear all I ever see them doing is covering the books!