PDA

View Full Version : Calvin and Aaron's friendship

Letti
11-04-2008, 10:10 AM
What held these two people together so much for so long? How do you see their friendship?
Was it true?
I don't think Cal can be a really good friend at all. He is way too greedy and obsessed. He must be able to love but his obsession set on his hear. But I think Aaron is a good man with a good and open heart and he can be a true mate and pal. How could Aaron tolerate Cal's behavior?
Or did they just grow to each other during the years?
Were they real friends?

How do you feel?
I find their relationship quite fascinating. It makes me think.

theBeamisHome
11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
i for one absolutely despised calvin tower, but i loved aaron deepeneau.. well those words are too strong. i didn't like tower from WotC and throughout.. i thought he was pretty cool in the wastelands when he was talking to Jake.. (i might have my books wrong). but i think they were really friends. calvin may have been a stingy bastard, but i think aaron would have just learned that he couldn't try to share anything with him. lol... he could have been a guardian friend.. well that might not be a real friend by some people's definitions (i'm not even sure if it is by mine).

Wuducynn
11-04-2008, 11:08 AM
I think the reason Aaron was able to think of Calvin as a friend is because Calvin has another side to him that is much more enjoyable to be around than what we see in Wolves and Song. Remember when we first meet him in The Wastelands he is very laid back and interested in helping out Jake. I think he goes into "obsessed ass-ache" mode when it comes to books, but he's probably a pretty good guy elsewise.

Letti
11-04-2008, 11:23 AM
There is a lot in what you say, Matthew.
And I always feel some kind of really hard respect for the one who has a great obsession. Obsessions like Calvin's or Roland's. That's not about alcohol or drugs... it doesn't push your body into prison but your soul. I hope it makes some sense.
The way Aaron talks about Calvin... you can feel that he respects him. Because he is very good at what he is doing. He can't let things go... but he can find the lost marbles in the infinite jungle.
And that's one of the few things that can make people become true friends. Respect.

Brainslinger
11-05-2008, 03:58 PM
I agree. I think seeing how Calvin acts in the latter books in breaking his promise to sell the Lot, etc, and his whining it's easy to blow things out of proportion and to consider him a worse man than he actually is. He's got his bad points, true, but overall he's not a bad guy.

He was even willing to team up with Deepneau and rescue Callahan from the Hitler boys, remember, putting his own life in danger.

Silvermoth
11-07-2008, 08:38 PM
I just assumed Calvin Tower and Aaron Deepneau were lovers. Neither had any children or spouses so that makes sense to me.

I think Cal was alright, but he simply wasn't a hero. I'm not sure what Aaron is attracted to with Calvin but whatever it is it must be strong to just uproot yourself from your own life in New York for him

Hbgunslinger
11-07-2008, 08:51 PM
It was Ka thats the only thing I could think of to keep a level headed guy (Aaron) and a not so level headed guy friends, close friends anyways

Wuducynn
11-07-2008, 11:52 PM
I agree. I think seeing how Calvin acts in the latter books in breaking his promise to sell the Lot, etc, and his whining it's easy to blow things out of proportion and to consider him a worse man than he actually is. He's got his bad points, true, but overall he's not a bad guy.

Yeah, I also love that we got to learn more about him and I thought after Jake left him that was it for Cal. I also love that an very imperfect, pain in the ass, had such an important role in the saga.

He was even willing to team up with Deepneau and rescue Callahan from the Hitler boys, remember, putting his own life in danger.

Yep, another good point.

Letti
11-08-2008, 12:22 AM
I just assumed Calvin Tower and Aaron Deepneau were lovers. Neither had any children or spouses so that makes sense to me.

Calvin had a wife but she couldn't tolerate his obsession. Understandable. Sadly we don't know much about Aaron's life.
For my part I don't think they were lovers. The way they talked to each other and about each other... no, I don't think so but I can understand that it came to your mind.

Wuducynn
11-08-2008, 12:26 AM
It was Ka thats the only thing I could think of to keep a level headed guy (Aaron) and a not so level headed guy friends, close friends anyways

I don't think we know enough of their long history as friends to know.

Letti
11-08-2008, 12:29 AM

I don't think we know enough of their long history as friends to know.

Yeah, sometimes the most different people become friends.

Hbgunslinger
11-08-2008, 01:52 AM
True to both.