PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Haven Foundation Fund Raiser 2009--Ideas and Suggestions

Matt
11-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I am beginning to ramp this thing up seeing as how it's November and was wanting any ideas and suggestions the board might have on how to do it this year.

I want to still take any monetary and collectible donations to the event, most will be auctioned off on DTbay this year. I am thinking the giveaway itself will consist of about 10 of the absolute coolest prizes we can come up with instead of that massive list from last time.

I plan to keep the 10.00 threshold for entry into the giveaway. That is donated or spent on an auction.

TDT.com store is going to be expanded to include a bunch of cool stuff including gear with images from Towerpedia! contests out there.

Obviously, I plan to contact King's office to see what we can come up with for a grand prize. Should be pretty cool. :rock:

Suggestions? Put them here, I will consolidate the good ones.

Nerak
11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Mayhap art from the powers of the Tower? HE HE Phil, Rick, Michael, Ned, Dave, Bernie and Darrel?

If you contact them, the worst they can do is say no, right?

razz
11-02-2008, 04:28 PM
usually I could think of at least one idea, good or bad, but this time i'm stumped. sorry.
feeling better Matt?

turtlex
11-03-2008, 04:27 AM
To be honest, I'm a little bummed about the DTbay change.

I have limited funds and had a much better chance at winning something cool, than I will ever have at winning an auction. I just don't have the funds available.

Of course, I will still donate and participate.

Looking forward to the Big Give 2009.

The Lady of Shadows
11-03-2008, 02:22 PM
i'm a little bummed about the change as well. i've been scouting for things and had actually purchased a few things from auctions specifically to donate to "the big give" in hopes that someone would win them - not have to bid on them.

i guess i understand it. i'm sure it was extremely hard work for the ptb to get all those items boxed and shipped. if it's a postage issue, i'd be glad to donate specifically to that. if it's a packaging supplies issue, i'd donate for the purchase of supplies as well.

::shrugs::

Matt
11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
The thread is here for suggestions you guys, nothing is set in stone. Still two months till it starts

The Lady of Shadows
11-03-2008, 05:25 PM
well in that case, i suggest we raffle off feev. or maybe brice. :evil:

turtlex
11-04-2008, 04:25 AM
The thread is here for suggestions you guys, nothing is set in stone. Still two months till it starts

...just feel kind of guilty if it makes things harder on you all. I mean, I know you were having tons of fun on the Big Give Night, but we all know ( and appreciate ) that it was TONS of work, too.

Brice
11-04-2008, 04:42 AM
well in that case, i suggest we raffle off feev. or maybe brice. :evil:

Or they could just auction off both of us? :orely:

...but if they did that they'd have to pick a new charity next year cause this one would never need any more donations again. :P

razz
11-04-2008, 04:56 AM
I hardly think twelve cents will fund the organization :P

Brice
11-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Well, we also plan to auction your corpse after I *stabs you* for that comment. That should give us an extra half cent or so. :P

razz
11-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Brice, i wouldn't die even if you killed me.
and it would get 17 cents.

The Lady of Shadows
11-04-2008, 09:43 AM

...just feel kind of guilty if it makes things harder on you all. I mean, I know you were having tons of fun on the Big Give Night, but we all know ( and appreciate ) that it was TONS of work, too.

*i* don't feel guilty at all - i want to see drunken ptb again! seriously though, i know what you mean. but i really do want to see drunken ptb again. maybe this time someone will sing? or dance? :P

and brice and razz, really we can't leave you two alone for five seconds now can we? don't make me pull this board over and come back there! :lol:

Matt
11-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Well, I'm taking the opinions to heart for sure. I want to raise as much as possible for this wonderful charity.

And it's starting off with a BANG!--I just got a huge box of books!!

The Lady of Shadows
11-04-2008, 10:28 AM
i see you neatly avoided commenting on the drunken ptb issue! nice. :lol:

Aaron
11-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I can confirm that no matter what there will be drinking. :rock:

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I'ver already given Matt some books in Vegas and there are 2 signed Jae Lee comics headed to him today for the give. However best you can use my donations is okey dokey with me.

The only thing that worries me about auctioning off the "big" items, is that the economy is in the tank, people are cash poor and being conservative in their spending, and the bigger Collectors on this site that may (or not) have more discretionary cash flow probably already own whatever is going to be auctioned. Just my 2 cents.

And, I'd bid WAY MORE than 17 cents for Brice, so there!

Matt
11-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Very valid 2 cents there David. And I agree, the really pricey items will remain to be given. What I was considering for auction were things like some C Dance books--maybe a comic or two (unsigned) just little stuff like that.

I was mostly trying to stay away from the 56 items we gave away last year, maybe whittle it down to 25.

However, there is always a risk with auctions...it may simply not sell. :lol:

And I'm waiting to publish a list of everything I have gotten so it has some flair (when it gets bigger) but I REALLY appreciate your contributions. It's always that kind of cool stuff that really generates interest in this thing.

The Lady of Shadows
11-04-2008, 02:10 PM
i think the 17 cents was the opening bid for razz's "undead" body.
12 cents is the opening bid for brice or feev. your choice! :lol: :evil:

Randall Flagg
11-04-2008, 05:43 PM
In this economy cash is king. I agree 100% with David (wiz), Collector's will be hesitant to donate knowing what they give will not be purchased at a "healthy" price.
Auctions are a PITA and unless you low ball each one to begin with, you may end up with no bids.
As tough as it is we, IMO should spend the greatest effort on solicitation of cash donations. Even in tough times most folks can spare a buck. I myself will donate to one and only one charity next year-The Haven Foundation

NeedfulKings
11-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Matt, can you edit your first post to show the magnitude ($$$) of last year's campaign? The money we raised is an incentive to raise even more!!!!

As for a big "give," I think I'd be the first to offer a book for the give, but maybe we can just mail them personally to the winner...you don't have to do it all yourself.

Just a thought.

I liked the drawing. And I loved seeing you all get piss drunk!!! :D :D :D

The Lady of Shadows
11-04-2008, 08:47 PM
needfulkings those are excellent ideas. i already mailed the portfolio but i could keep my books and just send them to the winners myself if that would help.

also:

:: singing ::

nobody doesn't like drunken ptbs!

oy-the-brave
11-04-2008, 09:18 PM
I just wanted to say I think Matt is on the right track. My thinking is 56 giveaway items instead of 25 will not get more cash donations so whatever the items get from Dtbay auctions is more money for the Haven Foundation.

I donated books to raise money and they were offered to be used in whatever way is best for the charity, if a 40.00 book gets 10.00 then the bidder gets a good deal and Haven gets more money.

Darkthoughts
11-05-2008, 01:50 AM
I also think Bill's idea of the donatee mailing the item is a good one.

Also, the poker tournament was brilliant fun last time. I'd definately be up for that again...entry conditions could be that you must have already made a donation...is that what it was last time?

turtlex
11-05-2008, 03:46 AM
Matt - Maybe you could find a way to let us help? Not sure how, though.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/Los_The_Red/V_mask_50.gif
( Inserting little V head because it's Nov 5th )

Hannah
11-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the feedback and great ideas for this year's drive, everyone!

Before we make a concrete decision on anything we'll take all the feedback and suggestions into account. That's why this thread is here. :nana:

turtlex
11-05-2008, 08:31 AM
I guess my concern with the auctions is that, technically, someone with a lot of dough could walk away with everything.

Also, just a question, can anyone bid on DTbay? I mean, someone could swoop on in, buy up all the auction stuff and then open a little mini-SK store on ebay?

Sorry. Having a bad day at work today. Don't mean to take it out on my friends here.

: shutting up now :

Matt
11-05-2008, 08:34 AM
No need to shut up at all Pam, those concerns are valid.

I just want to make sure people understand that I am talking about auctioning off stuff with low value on DTBay. (Only members can bid there by the way)

Anything that is a serious King collectible will still be given away.

Like Hannah said, this is not set in stone and I plan to employee all of you for help. The goal is to raise as much as we possibly can and I'm taking that pretty seriously this year. I want to make sure all the sides are covered.

Daghain
11-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm also willing to mail out my donations directly to the winner if that helps out at all. I haven't sent them out yet, so I'll just wait until you decide how you want to do it. :D

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2008, 10:25 AM
And I promise that I will pay all shipping costs for the items that I have already given to Matt.

Matt
11-05-2008, 10:30 AM
It isn't really the cost you guys. I donated over 800.00 when it was all said and done last year and was happy to do it.

Mostly I just want the most bang for the buck and a system to handle it correctly. We almost outgrew our britches with the response last year and this year I want much more.

I hate to turn something fun into something complicated so everyone just needs to give and I'll work out the rest.

turtlex
11-05-2008, 10:39 AM

Thanks, Matt.
Like I said, having some cranky issues at work. Didn't want to come off like a jerk at all.

:rose:

The Lady of Shadows
11-05-2008, 12:01 PM

Thanks, Matt.
Like I said, having some cranky issues at work. Didn't want to come off like a jerk at all.

:rose:

:grouphug:

Brice
11-08-2008, 03:51 AM
I'ver already given Matt some books in Vegas and there are 2 signed Jae Lee comics headed to him today for the give. However best you can use my donations is okey dokey with me.

The only thing that worries me about auctioning off the "big" items, is that the economy is in the tank, people are cash poor and being conservative in their spending, and the bigger Collectors on this site that may (or not) have more discretionary cash flow probably already own whatever is going to be auctioned. Just my 2 cents.

:thumbsup:

turtlesong: :P

Matt
11-08-2008, 11:18 AM
We are still putting the deal together here but I must say...

I have got some AMAZING stuff donated so far. :excited:

<--is setting up his excel sheet.

The Lady of Shadows
11-08-2008, 11:56 AM
<snip>

turtlesong: :P

yeah, but wiz doesn't even know how f'n old he is so what do you expect? :P

herbertwest
11-11-2008, 04:26 AM
So i didnt understand so far : can we giveaway some items? What is the deadline to do so?
I will prob get some items back in one month or so, will it be ok?

Matt
11-11-2008, 05:45 AM
We try to do our best to coordinate (and gather) collectible items for the giveaway.

I am still hashing out the details and the whole thing doesn't actually start until Jan. 1 2009 :rock:

Spencer
11-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Mayhap art from the powers of the Tower? HE HE Phil, Rick, Michael, Ned, Dave, Bernie and Darrel?

If you contact them, the worst they can do is say no, right?

You've already got that giant wolf beast thing, what more do you want?:lol:

Very cool idea.

razz
11-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Hey, how about poster versions of fellow member artwork contest winners for the big give?
I wouldn't mind having DarkThought's Oy or Eddie on my wall :)

Matt
11-12-2008, 10:45 AM
That's a good idea except for the cost of actually producing them. You have to buy in bulk and it would be a hell of an investment.

razz
11-12-2008, 10:49 AM
ahhh....true...then again, even if you weren't giving them away I'd buy them :)

The Lady of Shadows
11-12-2008, 01:08 PM
That's a good idea except for the cost of actually producing them. You have to buy in bulk and it would be a hell of an investment.

actually, not necessarily. i had a huge poster made for when my husband did a marathon and then had it mounted on some kind of board and it wasn't that expensive. if you were thinking about doing something like this i could check into prices for you. there are two really good printing places that i use here.

do you want me to check?

Matt
11-12-2008, 01:11 PM
I would like to stick to donated stuff on my end here. If folks would like to have a few of these made I would simply ask the artist for permission, have it done and then donate it for auction or giveaway to the fund raiser.

You are also welcome to DTbay it yourself and give the charity all or part of the proceeds.

The Lady of Shadows
11-12-2008, 01:47 PM

whatever you say cap'n!

Tiffany
11-13-2008, 08:05 AM
If it would help, I wouldn't mind donating my "Great Old Ones" drawing. It's just sitting around my apartment, anyway, and if it would help a cause out I'd be okay with donating the original. I mean, if anyone would want it, anyway.

Edit: It's not folded, or anything, so it's still in good shape.

Hannah
11-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Tiffany! :couple: Well, I for one would want it. And I'm sure a lot of other people would too. PM me and we can talk "details."

Tiffany
11-13-2008, 08:53 AM
:huglove: Sweet! I don't mind giving it up but especially like the idea of it going for a good cause. I'll pm you!

gsvec
11-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I have a few items for the giveaway, Matt - should I just hang onto them for now until we figure out the whole shipping thing?

Matt
11-15-2008, 08:52 AM
I think, in most cases this year we are going to go ahead and consolidate the donated items again for shipping. I'm having a phone meet with Aaron and Hannah tonight so we'll have it all figured out then.

It has a lot to do with simply coordinating it when the time comes. :clap:

Also makes the items easy to photograph and post on the site for the list.

gsvec
11-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Alrighty then! I'll start gathering and packing, but I'll hold off sending them to you for now just in case I decide to get more generous!
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Smilies/multistars.gif

Matt
11-15-2008, 12:48 PM
It's amazing the amount of stuff I have already collected. :wub:

I really appreciate you and everyone else that gave/will give to this thing. It's shaping up to be really cool. :grouphug:

herbertwest
12-02-2008, 06:09 AM
This week, i'll be shipping some stuff for the big away
Come on guys, lets be giving some stuff away :-)

Matt
12-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks so much for the donation--we are getting one hell of a list together, I think everyone will love it.

gsvec
12-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Matt, let me know when you want me to send you the 3 items I PM'd to you a while back.

The Lady of Shadows
12-02-2008, 05:18 PM
donation tease :P

Matt
12-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Matt, let me know when you want me to send you the 3 items I PM'd to you a while back.

You can send them anytime Gretchen, I am officially collecting up stuff now. :rock:

Matt
12-16-2008, 08:11 AM
I just wanted to remind everyone that this thing starts in just a couple of weeks. :rock:

The staff has already gathered an AMAZING assortment of things for giveaway/auction--it's going to be a great year.

turtlex
12-16-2008, 08:15 AM

Daghain
12-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Oh hell, I need to send a box out to you, Matt. :panic:

Matt
12-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Don't worry about it a bit, we're just getting started and I'll take stuff all the way until April.

Daghain
12-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Yeah, but I'd rather have it in YOUR house than MY house. :lol:

The Lady of Shadows
12-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah, but I'd rather have it in YOUR house than MY house. :lol:

and that is the truth!

Matt
12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
:clap:

This thing is about to get started (a few days early) so this thread is going to be moved to the clearing to make way for a sub-forum for the Fund Raiser