PDA

View Full Version : If you love me then love me

Letti
07-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Why does this simple statement seem to be so deep to me and why do I like it so much? Do you feel the same why?
I remember when I first read it I was a little girl and I was dreaming about love and about a man a lot (like little girls usually do) who could love me and when I read this very line it became one of my sweetest wishes to be able to tell this sentence to someone.

Matt
07-02-2007, 11:36 AM
For me it was all about her. I got the impression from Susan (which is one of the reasons I loved her myself) that she was not the type to give herself physically...easily. She was a young virgin.

The line did it for me because she was prepared to give herself fully if he would only love and and protect her.

Great thread Letti :blush:

ManOfWesternesse
07-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Yeah, you are right Letti. It's a powerful sentence, and speaks of totalitys and no half-measures. She wanted to commit herself fully , and she wanted no less from Roland. Damn clever use of words from Sai King - and not for the first time, to get so much from one short sentence.

Hannah
07-05-2007, 07:28 AM
I always thought the line was more playful then deep seated in love, but it's still charming.

Matt
07-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Kind of like..."spank me if you are a man"?

Hannah
07-05-2007, 07:32 AM
:lol: Exactly.

Jean
07-05-2007, 09:45 AM
I am sorry, I never liked that line. I always found in it something as artificial as the whole love story depicted in W&G. Moreover, it sounds like a jingle out of a TV commercial. Time to make the coffee, time to make the donuts. Do the dew. Have a break, have a Kit Kat.

Letti
07-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I am sorry, I never liked that line. I always found in it something as artificial as the whole love story depicted in W&G. Moreover, it sounds like a jingle out of a TV commercial. Time to make the coffee, time to make the donuts. Do the dew. Have a break, have a Kit Kat.

Now you didn't surprise me.. I think I got used to everything. :D You are not fond of this book so much so it would be really strange if you really loved this line.
But artificial? How can it sound artificial?
So short..
Such simple words..
And a fragile girl.

Brice
07-06-2007, 06:20 AM
I however was completely blindsided Jean; but my questions would be the same as Letti's. Nothing in W&G struck me as being artificial that I can recall.

Matt
07-06-2007, 06:42 AM
I felt like it made sense for what we were dealing with. Susan (for all her charms) was a country girl in the end and the dialog between them seemed to fit for me.

I believe the purpose of the line was a..."all of my eggs in Rolands basket" kind of thing--and that sounds sexual. :lol:

Brice
07-06-2007, 06:56 AM
I always thought the line was more playful then deep seated in love, but it's still charming.

I kinda' took it as being both playful and deep seated in love simultaneously.

Jean
07-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Nikolett and Brice: I am not ignoring your question, but am incapable of any thinking or writing now; will reply when I am back to normal (maybe even in a special thread, at a new angle; I have an idea but can't develop it now, sorry!) http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Letti
07-08-2007, 04:08 AM
Nevermind, Jean. Take your time, my friend.

ManOfWesternesse
07-09-2007, 06:41 AM
The line never even struck me as being shallow or artificial I must say. Indeed struck me as quite sincere in the context? Look forward to your arguments Jean. (Hope things are progressing for you!)

Jean
07-22-2007, 11:58 PM
I've tried to make my point in this new thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=23283). Of course, it is a strictly personal feeling, but it seems to me that when King concentrates on things other than love, his love stories come out great, true, and out of the ordinary; when, however, he decided to try his hand at writing romance, all he managed to do was a collection of cliches and common places. The character of Susan, the whole development of the story, and most everything they say to each other read to me as if the author was determined to write a "real" love story, quite like the ones written by "real" romance authors; and, since he played in someone else's field, he screwed it up. The same way, the line in question seems to me fabricated in accordance with the laws of those bona fide love stories. It's so perfect and so meant to be remembered (as I said, like Kit Kat jingle) that it could hardly be uttered by a girl in love - rather, put in her mouth by an author of mediocre commercial romantic novels.

Letti
07-23-2007, 11:35 AM
I see your point Jean. I really do. But this love doesn't seem to be perfect to me. Moreover... And I don't feel King wanted it to be perfect. I don't say you are not right. Maybe you see the things well but my feelings about it are so damn different.
It's such a simple story.
No perfect.
Faint in the past.
Hot like hell but failed by human beings..

Jean
07-23-2007, 10:12 PM
I never said perfect love. I said a "real" love story, - written in accordance with pre-existing standards, and, thus, coming out mediocre. The "perfect" part referred to the line in question, - as perfect as any jingle you can hear on television during a commercial break.

Letti
07-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Maybe I am just too simple, Jean.

Sometimes very poor and cheaps jokes can make me laugh and poor and cheap movies can make me cry. I would like to say that... there are so many cheap stories movies with cheap loves.. but sometimes you can find something in them. Something very important and valuable to you. And I think it's natural that others can't see it.

Maybe Susan and Roland's love isn't unique or so damn true... maybe if they could have stayed together they would have cried at each other after one year and Roland would have shut the door angrily at Susan one day and he would have never come back..
But I still say there was something very true and deep between them during those days.
That's how I feel.

MonteGss
10-10-2007, 10:37 AM

This is how I've always felt about the line and the general sappy love story of W&G. However, I am currently re-listening to the book, paying particular attention to the Roland-Susan parts. I feel a re-evaluation is in order...so far though, my thoughts have not changed.

Matt
10-10-2007, 10:43 AM
I totally agree with Letti--to me, the line was great because its not a purely physical thing.

"if you love me, then love me" means so much more than "fuck me now" :lol:

MonteGss
10-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Well considering how hot Susan was, I like the "fuck me now" interpretation. :lol:

Letti
10-10-2007, 12:00 PM
men... :rolleyes:

Wuducynn
10-10-2007, 12:02 PM
humans...:rolleyes:

Darkthoughts
10-10-2007, 12:51 PM
:lol:

To be fair...it is the kind of thing teenagers can come out with - more so boys (in my experience) when they wanted to get in your pants and figured they'd have more chance if they said "lets make love" rather than "fancy a shag?"...personally I preferred the bad boys...but I'm no Susan :P

Letti
10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
You mean bad boys are more honest, huh? :D

Darkthoughts
10-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Perhaps not honest, but more to the point :D

Letti
10-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Anyway I don't think Roland was a good boy. ;)

Darkthoughts
10-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Heh heh!! I think hes fairly gentlemanly though - not total badboy material...be nice to find out wouldn't it :lol:

Letti
10-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Heh heh!! I think hes fairly gentlemanly though - not total badboy material...be nice to find out wouldn't it :lol:

*nods* ;)

mallory
06-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Its perhaps the sweetest and most honest line in this book.

Letti
06-14-2008, 01:36 AM
Yes, I love its honesty. It might not be such an original sentence but it sums up Susan's feelings perfectly.
(Anyway who has time to be original when they are crazy in love with the moment?)

Ves'Ka Gan
06-14-2008, 03:51 PM
I think its a neat line, although not so deeply sentimental for me.

In King's defense, Susan was a young virgin--she was thinking about how 'special' and 'wonderful' making love to the "one" would be, maybe for years now...it wouldn't seem too over the top for her to have this manufactured statement she had been waiting for just the right moment to use.

Letti
06-15-2008, 12:48 AM
I understand the feeling behind it but I always feel like it's a selfish thing to say.
Like saying "you complete me". I understand the feeling when it's said but it just feels like a very selfish thing to say to someone.

Why is it selfish to say "you comlete me"?
(Anyway for me this sentence means something else.)

Brainslinger
06-15-2008, 01:21 AM
I admit I didn't really see anything deeper in the line than a polite way of telling him she wanted him to... you know. (Not that they weren't genuinely in love mind...) Not sure what that says about my filthy mind. It's interesting how for all it's sexuality there is a certain innocence to it though.

On reading the posts here though, I think you might be on to something, and the greater implications, taking on responsibility etc rings true.

The Lady of Shadows
06-15-2008, 09:42 PM
i finished my reread of this book. it's still my favorite of the series but i think i liked the relationship between susan and roland a little less this time for some reason. i don't know if it was the mood i was in while i was reading, or the weather, or what.

i hated this line this time. it seemed calculated and trite to me. i actually cringed when i read it and thought "oh god, she did not just say that".

like i said, maybe it was the weather. . . .

Jean
06-15-2008, 11:16 PM
In King's defense, Susan was a young virgin--she was thinking about how 'special' and 'wonderful' making love to the "one" would be, maybe for years now...it wouldn't seem too over the top for her to have this manufactured statement she had been waiting for just the right moment to use.
I agree it definitely sounds prefabricated

SaiCmont19
06-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I've always loved this line for it's simplicity on the surface, but the implications it had underneath.

Does anyone else kind of get mad at Roland in this part of the book for how most of his answers are one sentence or one word long? lol thats always been something that bothered me.

Brice
06-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I've always loved this line for it's simplicity on the surface, but the implications it had underneath.

Does anyone else kind of get mad at Roland in this part of the book for how most of his answers are one sentence or one word long? lol thats always been something that bothered me.

no

:P

Letti
06-16-2008, 10:53 PM
I understand the feeling behind it but I always feel like it's a selfish thing to say.
Like saying "you complete me". I understand the feeling when it's said but it just feels like a very selfish thing to say to someone.

Why is it selfish to say "you comlete me"?
(Anyway for me this sentence means something else.)

To me it feels like your putting a lot of pressure on the other person.
Like your saying their responisible for making you a whole person.
For some reason that's the same feeling I get when Susan says that line in the book.
Like she is putting a lot of pressure on him.

Hm, interesting. If someone tells something similar to me I don't feel it like a pressure. It's a gift.. and I can only hope that I can give it to him.
But if our paths go to different directions I will say: we are well met. No pain. No harm.
But we are different.

Scar
06-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Why does this simple statement seem to be so deep to me and why do I like it so much? Do you feel the same why?
I remember when I first read it I was a little girl and I was dreaming about love and about a man a lot (like little girls usually do) who could love me and when I read this very line it became one of my sweetest wishes to be able to tell this sentence to someone.

I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate the sweetness of it but, I interpreted it a different way; I thought right away that she was saying if you love me, then make love to me. (Actually the way I originally thought it was vulgar.) They were so, so young. Maybe I am too old school, or maybe just too old.

John:doh:

Lee
06-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Ive loved this line from the moment I read it. to me, it was a fast and deep love that started with Susan and Roland. This will sound stupid, Im sure, but I felt it when I read it. Im sure we all "feel" something differently or some other part of the series touches us but this was the part that touched me.

Letti
06-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I agree it definitely sounds prefabricated

I don't understand you. Susan is not a girl from Oprah show, she is just a cowgirl from a little town of the middle of nowhere. I don't think she cared about love or sex a lot before Roland. (Anyway when she is thinking about Roland she is surprised how much she is into him however she didn't give a damn about the boys who liked her.)
Cordelia couldn't have convinced her so easily if she had been interested in these things so hard.
So I can understand if someone doesn't like this statement (it's a bit too sugary) but I don't feel it far-fetched or plannted at all.

I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate the sweetness of it but, I interpreted it a different way; I thought right away that she was saying if you love me, then make love to me. (Actually the way I originally thought it was vulgar.) They were so, so young. Maybe I am too old school, or maybe just too old.

John:doh:

I guess the interpretation depends on how you see Susan and what you think about her. For me she is such a simple girl that I can't imagine her to force anybody to do anything.. I hope it makes some sense. So for me that line is no more than a.. sweet permission and not a call.

But don't mind the way you see it. It's great that our opinions are different. :rose:

Jean
06-17-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't understand you. Susan is not a girl from Oprah show <...>

she sure sounded like one to me at that moment. That's exactly why I don't like that line.

Jon
06-18-2008, 12:21 AM
I didn't take as a "make love to me" line. I found it to be very romanic, sweet and a bit profound... kinda like buddhism. "If you are sweeping, then sweep" ie... don't think of the future, the here and now is sweeping this floor.

"If you love me, then love me" ie... Don't worry about the future or any pain this relationship may bring at it's termination. Just love me and let the future take care of itself.

And for the record... in my opinion, this is the worst book in the series.

Letti
06-18-2008, 12:27 AM
I don't understand you. Susan is not a girl from Oprah show <...>

she sure sounded like one to me at that moment. That's exactly why I don't like that line.

But why? It is such a simple statement. Really. Nice but simple. Why is that so bad? We can't be oh-so-original all the time. Life doesn't work that way.
So may I know why you think this way?

Jean
06-18-2008, 12:40 AM
I am not talking about originality. I've already tried to explain that the line sounds like a commercial jingle (Time to make the coffee, time to make the donuts. Do the dew. Have a break, have a Kit Kat), or as if a whole shoal of soap opera screenwriters had worked on it to make it so simple and perfect and sweetly profound.

Scar
06-18-2008, 04:32 AM
I didn't take as a "make love to me" line. I found it to be very romanic, sweet and a bit profound... kinda like buddhism. "If you are sweeping, then sweep" ie... don't think of the future, the here and now is sweeping this floor.

"If you love me, then love me" ie... Don't worry about the future or any pain this relationship may bring at it's termination. Just love me and let the future take care of itself.

Respectfully...Buddhism? Does anyone one else think she didn't mean if you emotionally love me, then physically make love to me? I did not take it as; if you love me then don't fight it.

John.

theBeamisHome
06-18-2008, 04:52 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with everyone that said that it was a sex line... I also felt like she was putting some pressure on Roland too. I wasn't really moved... I think they were horny. That's really it. And don't get me wrong, I do think they she loved him... inasmuch as people that young can really be in love (i'm only 20).. but I just wasn't feeling the love in that.. I mean she was gonna have sex with that Mayor to secure her family's farm so I don't think her purity meant too much to her.. but she just would have rather gave it to Roland.

Brice
06-18-2008, 04:57 AM
I think both meanings were meant simultaneously.

Letti
06-18-2008, 05:01 AM
I think both meanings were meant simultaneously.

Yes. I agree.

ManOfWesternesse
06-18-2008, 05:05 AM
Yes, I think King was playing with it a bit.... hinting at the long-term deeper meaning and teasing with the more immediate physical one.

Letti
06-18-2008, 05:07 AM
Anyway I love this thread. It's damn interesting how many interpretations we have about such a simple sentence. :)

Jean
06-19-2008, 01:33 AM

Respectfully...Buddhism? Does anyone one else think she didn't mean if you emotionally love me, then physically make love to me? <...>

John.
I do, and, much as I dislike that sentence on the grounds I tried to describe above, I am with Jon on its interpretation (even though I wouldn't put it in any Buddhist terms).

alinda
06-19-2008, 04:09 AM
I actually think its an invitation to the present myself as well.
It is more than monumental when the one you love is "with"
you wholeheartedly. I wish I had such attention in my lovelife.
I could say these words to my Randall, but they would be brushed
aside for other things in his life....his Tower perhaps?

LadyHitchhiker
06-19-2008, 05:33 AM
I saw this message on a bandstand in high school and it really touched me:

on one side:

"IF YOU'RE READING THIS I LOVE YOU"

and the other:

"IF YOU LOVE ME PLEASE TELL ME BECAUSE I LOVE YOU"

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww high school love....

alinda
06-19-2008, 05:35 AM
unreqited love is the story of my life.
Morning my dear L7 :wub: I LOVE YOU!

LadyHitchhiker
06-19-2008, 06:20 AM
:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

I requite your love!!!!!! :smoochies:

AcidBumbler
06-17-2009, 11:20 AM
It's one of my favourite quotes of all time. Simplicity is beautiful.
:rose:

Letti
06-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Simplicity is beautiful.
:rose:

So true. I absolutely agree. The most beautiful things are always simple.

idk, my bff jill?
06-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I kind of always hated this line since I find it really cheesy, but I understand why Susan would say something like that. That kind of stuff sounds deep and powerful when you're young and in love.

I guess.

AIMB
06-25-2009, 10:14 PM
"If you love me, then love me"

I didn't find it cheesy because the whole time before it was said they were playing with the idea of not seeing each other at all. Then whenever the love (or whatever you think it was, I call it love) took her over she said "If you love me, then love me" as permission to him to do as they both wanted to. No matter the consequences I guess.

Now her screaming "ROLAND I LOVE THEEEEEEE" I did find just a little to cheesy.

Letti
06-26-2009, 01:04 PM

I didn't find it cheesy because the whole time before it was said they were playing with the idea of not seeing each other at all. Then whenever the love (or whatever you think it was, I call it love) took her over she said "If you love me, then love me" as permission to him to do as they both wanted to. No matter the consequences I guess.

I can understand it. For my part I was crying so hard at this part that nothing would have seemed cheesy.

Woofer
07-03-2009, 07:32 AM

My feelings are exactly opposite. I found the "If you love me..." line to be as edited, proofed, approved, rehearsed as a tired old comedy routine. Shouting "Roland, I love thee", on the other hand, seemed more genuine, not unlike Sgt. Howie at the end of The Wicker Man shouting prayers and singing hymns that indicate his deep and abiding faith as he is overcome by smoke and burned to death.

obscurejude
07-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Good observations Woofer. I found it all a bit cheesy, but I don't find it cheesy that King was enjoying a genre. We all know that romance isn't his first love when it comes to writing and the obvious cliches and tropes were not unexpected. It reminds me of Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men. Its just your basic bad guys in the desert drug trafficking mystery. And its also unlike anything else he's written. Some of the passages, particularly when he's describing weapons, are so unMcCarthy, but its okay. You can tell he's having fun and enjoying the genre.

Woofer
07-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Good observations Woofer. I found it all a bit cheesy, but I don't find it cheesy that King was enjoying a genre. We all know that romance isn't his first love when it comes to writing and the obvious cliches and tropes were not unexpected. It reminds me of Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men. Its just your basic bad guys in the desert drug trafficking mystery. And its also unlike anything else he's written. Some of the passages, particularly when he's describing weapons, are so unMcCarthy, but its okay. You can tell he's having fun and enjoying the genre.

Excellent point. And I think that the fact that various parts work for each of us, all for some of us, none for others, is not unlike any other piece of King fiction except that this part is a romance.

obscurejude
07-03-2009, 11:08 AM

Excellent point. And I think that the fact that various parts work for each of us, all for some of us, none for others, is not unlike any other piece of King fiction except that this part is a romance.

Kudos for tying it up in a bow Woofer. :thumbsup: One interesting thing just occurred to me though, many of the so called "horror" cliches we think of were pioneered by King...deadly viruses, haunted hotels, evil clowns etc... He really is an innovative author, so I wonder if he seems more "cheesy" attempting to do romance than he does with his other works. In other words, maybe the scrutiny isn't warranted per se, but inevitable because its such a far cry from the uniqueness of the majority of his other works. I expect passages of blandness and re hashing in a lot of what I read, but for some reason I don't approach King that way. I'm mostly just thinking out loud right now. None of what I'm trying to say is very definitive.

Sickrose
11-17-2009, 08:48 AM
I have just read this line now. Its my second reading of W&G and it touched me more this time.

I think it beautifully says two things at once, emotional and phyiscal love in the only way she could being innocent and all. I cant imagine anything better to replace it.

That said, I think Roland's response of ''Aye lady, I will'', is pretty romantic too.

Some of the bits about Roland and Susan are a bit cliche but I liked this bit.

Letti
11-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Some of the bits about Roland and Susan are a bit cliche but I liked this bit.

Sometimes I wonder if it's possible to write about love without cliches.

overhoser
11-17-2009, 09:16 AM
I always took this line in the way Jon described...don't think about the future, focus only on our love.

When I first read W&G I was in high school and the line didn't bother me. But in my most recent reading it drove me nuts. It seemed so contrived. And if it had only been said once it wouldn't matter, but its repetition and Roland remembering it....it got a little out of control. It was like SK thought he really had something with it and wanted to use it. Like when a high school writer re-reads a sentence they just wrote and thinks "now that's a good sentence" and proceeds to follow the pattern.

Another phrase in the series that I think gets repeated because King thought it was a nice phrase is "go then, there are other worlds than these." But this one works for me. I think it carries some resonance.

Maybe I'm just not into the sappy implications of "if you love me."

Sickrose
11-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Surely it only gets used a couple of times Overhoser:)

Letti - thats a good point. I guess when it comes to love surely every emotion has been experienced and written about for time out of mind.

I also think the reader brings their own experiences to any literature (or art for that matter) they experience and I am only recently married which might be why I am leaning towards the interpretation as being highly romantic. I did shed a tear!

Letti
11-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Letti - thats a good point. I guess when it comes to love surely every emotion has been experienced and written about for time out of mind.

I might be way too romantic but I do think that every love is special and unique. But writing about it... that's really hard. Our words are numbered. We cannot come up with new ones. If you write a long love story it's impossible to avoid every cliche.
Sometimes cliches must be used.

And the interpretations are so different.
For me 'If you love me then love me' is very deep and special. For most of the people it's an empty or almost empty sentence.

Not easy. Not easy at all. :)

overhoser
11-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Sickrose - You are correct, it is probably not used as often as I made it sound. I guess it just grated on me. My most recent reading was on audio book and as great a reader as Frank Muller was, his breathy exclamations didn't do it for me. He doesn't do the best demure country girl accent in the world.

In my defense, it appears 6 times in the pages available for free on Google Books. 5 of those are in a period of about 200 pages which means I probably heard Frank proclaim it in my car once a day for 4 straight days. So please forgive me.

On a side note, this thread is at the top of the list if you search for "if you love me then love me" on Google. Nice work.

Letti
11-17-2009, 11:21 PM
On a side note, this thread is at the top of the list if you search for "if you love me then love me" on Google. Nice work.

Do you think many people search for it? :)

Sickrose
11-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Sickrose - You are correct, it is probably not used as often as I made it sound. I guess it just grated on me. My most recent reading was on audio book and as great a reader as Frank Muller was, his breathy exclamations didn't do it for me. He doesn't do the best demure country girl accent in the world.

In my defense, it appears 6 times in the pages available for free on Google Books. 5 of those are in a period of about 200 pages which means I probably heard Frank proclaim it in my car once a day for 4 straight days. So please forgive me.

Fair play :) i think for the susan I head in my head when I read it sounded right but I can imagine it might be different if someone is reading to you. I haven't listed to any of the audio books.

overhoser
11-18-2009, 08:02 PM
If you do get a chance to listen to the audio books, I recommend it. Frank Muller is great, except he only does 2-4. At the end of 5, Stephen King says Muller was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident and would not be able to continue reading. There is a foundation for him, but the recording is from 2001.

Also, SK says in his message about Muller that listening to the books is the best way to enjoy them. You can't rush or skip, you have to take everything at a steady pace. I am enjoying them. 17 minutes at a time...

Brice
11-18-2009, 08:19 PM
If you do get a chance to listen to the audio books, I recommend it. Frank Muller is great, except he only does 2-4. At the end of 5, Stephen King says Muller was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident and would not be able to continue reading. There is a foundation for him, but the recording is from 2001.

Also, SK says in his message about Muller that listening to the books is the best way to enjoy them. You can't rush or skip, you have to take everything at a steady pace. I am enjoying them. 17 minutes at a time...

Actually our site does an annual fundraiser for The Haven Foundation which is the foundation to which you're referring . :)

And I agree the audios are great though my preference is for the ones with King reading them himself.

overhoser
11-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Actually our site does an annual fundraiser for The Haven Foundation which is the foundation to which you're referring .

Good to know. I would be interested in participating the next time it comes around. Thanks.

cozener
11-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Also, SK says in his message about Muller that listening to the books is the best way to enjoy them. You can't rush or skip, you have to take everything at a steady pace. I am enjoying them. 17 minutes at a time... I think King's right about this. I listened to the first two books. There's not a bad chance that if I had just picked up Gunslinger and started reading I might not have been as enthralled.

MPatrick
11-19-2009, 11:19 AM
I agree with Leti when it comes to love in a story. It can often seem clichéd, because how hard is it to write about love? Cliché's are cliché for a reason.

I loved W&G, it's not my favorite at all, but I enjoyed another genre mixed into it. A Romeo & Juliet for the Western sect.

As for the line? I loved it. Gets me every time I read it. I can understand that it can be seen in a jingle kind of way, but it's all about how you interpret the line I guess. To me it's a matter of throwing caution to the wind. About young love not caring about consequence. I'm remembering my first love and I thought I was so in love with her that I would never get over it.

As for whether the line is meant as a "love me with your heart" or "love me with your parts" love, is it really that easy to separate? I certainly never got the idea that their relationship was based purely on teenage hormones. Yet, when you fall in love, don't you want to sleep with the person?

I've never fallen in love with someone and not had sex on the brain. When you feel that strongly about someone, don't you want sex? Sex is right there. Call it making love if you want to, but it comes to the same thing. Wanting to be "one" with the person you love is as natural as anything else.

I know the story had some moments that made me groan they were so cheesy, but this line is not one of them.

When I'm in the moment and there is only me, some cool music, and the book I am reading? I'm right there. I feel like I'm todash and seeing these people in front of me. I can almost feel the tension between them when she says that line.

I'm hopeless though. I hope to never be in situation like they were, but if I was in Roland's place and she said that to me? All over it...

Here are my chips; I'm all in! :cool:

MPatrick
11-19-2009, 11:22 AM
As for the audio books, I just finished my first re-read of Wolves and read the afterword about Frank Muller. I too am keeping in mind what he said about how completely you are enveloped by the words being spoken to you. I've found myself skimming along to get to the good parts, and have to go back and force myself to read them.

I think I have to check out the audio books when I next travel to the Tower! :cowboy:

cozener
11-19-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm going to use the "if you love me then love me" line on my wife tonight. I'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow. :excited:

cozener
11-21-2009, 04:10 PM
It didn't work. <_<

Jean
11-22-2009, 03:54 AM
No big surprise for bears

(my wife would have giggled, thinking I was quoting some especially corny passage from a ladies' magazine I'd seen at some waiting room, and asked for more; we would have had some good laugh, but the - you know - would have been ruined)

LadyHitchhiker
11-22-2009, 04:55 AM
I used the line on my husband and he didn't get it. He just said, "But I do love you!"