PDA

View Full Version : Big Love

She-Oy
07-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Anyone else watching this show? I just started watching it this season, so many things are lost on me. However I'm intrigued (as in just interested in how it works, not that I would want to be one, HELL NO) by this polygamist community.

This may be the first time I have been so interested in a show while at the same time, so disconnected with the characters, their opinions, their actions, their religion, their everything.

It's very disturbing yet interesting.

I want Barb to leave, Nicki to go back to the compound and stay, Margene to hook up with someone her own age.

Hannah
07-02-2007, 09:44 AM
I've only seen the first season so far, but I really like the show. I really have never liked Nicki. She annoys the bejesus out of me. I thought for a while there that Margene and Ben would hook up. That'd be skanky fun for the whole family.

I like it when they show Bill Paxton's ass.

She-Oy
07-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah, they definitely touched on the Margene/Ben thing last week. Barb thought things were inappropriate, said something to Margene about it, Margene actually stood up for herself and said she was "Ben's MOM too, and Barb was "gross" for thinking that.

Ben's too busy banging his girlfriend in Margene's house for all that, though..LOL

I've yet to see Bill's ass. Three episodes in and no ass.

Aesculapius
07-05-2007, 11:20 AM
WTF??
I don't watch TV, but is this some kind of Waco shit?

I think we need more "compounds" around...yes/no?

She-Oy
07-05-2007, 11:34 AM
WTF??
I don't watch TV, but is this some kind of Waco shit?

I think we need more "compounds" around...yes/no?

It's a series on HBO about polygamist Mormons. The main family is sorta normal, meaning they live in the burbs, kids go to normal school, dad runs a business...each wife has her own house, all the houses are connected by a common pool/backyard. BUT there is some Waco type shit on the show as well...there is a compound (Juniper Hill) where the "prophet" marries little girls, people live in shacks and are on welfare, and all the money is managed by the leader.

It's really interesting. But after watching it, if any man still thinks it would be "fun" to have multiple wives, he's crazy...LOL

Aesculapius
07-06-2007, 09:31 AM
^---is crazy.

She-Oy
07-06-2007, 10:32 AM
I refuse to have a sister-wife!

Matt
07-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Personally, I don't know how a man keeps up with more than one woman.

Sure...there would be more sex but damn.

Aesculapius
07-06-2007, 10:44 AM

:rofl:

It isn't about more sex, imo. It's more about.....:orely:...there's really no way to skip around the true nature of this idea. Either it's done right, or it will all come crashing down.

Hmm...is it not true that women who live together eventually end up on the same menstrual cycle?

Plus, I just can't trust someone behind a curtain who calls himself a prophet, yet will not show me his source.
(pay no attention...)

Matt
07-06-2007, 10:46 AM
That is what I understand, I just can't imagine the "care and feeding" of more than one wife. :lol:

Thats not sexist you guys, I don't see how she could handle another me either. :rock:

Aesculapius
07-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Hmm...perhaps the other women involved would take up some of your (the man's) slack in the "care" department.

Aesculapius
07-06-2007, 10:50 AM
However, I AM crazy. :lol:

Matt
07-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Hmm...perhaps the other women involved would take up some of your (the man's) slack in the "care" department.

Once that happens, they don't need us at all.

She-Oy
07-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Mormon women are NOT going to do that (the physical "love" with another woman). Supposedly the only times when the men and women actually have sex is to procreate. But I know that's a bunch of bullshit.

And actually, yes, the women do tend to take care of each better than the husband does. The husband is responsible for the money and the fucking.

She-Oy
07-06-2007, 11:04 AM

It isn't about more sex, imo. It's more about.....:orely:...there's really no way to skip around the true nature of this idea. Either it's done right, or it will all come crashing down.

Hmm...is it not true that women who live together eventually end up on the same menstrual cycle?

Plus, I just can't trust someone behind a curtain who calls himself a prophet, yet will not show me his source.
(pay no attention...)

The idea of polygamy started as a quick and easy way to start up and maintain religions. The easiest way to get followers is to just MAKE them.

Apparently these "prophets" always get their visions through "dreams"...which makes it damn near impossible to be able to show the source.

Matt
07-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I am speaking strictly emotional here you guys. I know they won't start the physical love.

I am hoping I am needed for much more than that because I saw something the adult book store that would do the same job. :lol:

She-Oy
07-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Trust me when I say those things in the bookstores don't do the same thing. Well, ok...maybe the end result is the same, but the journey to the end is not. LOL

But I see what you are talking about, and yes, I would think having all those women around would be emotionally draining.

Point blank, I couldn't do it because I don't want to share.

Matt
07-06-2007, 11:30 AM
You hit it on the head there. I could screw for ever but the "emotional maintenance" part would get the better of me after a while.

She-Oy
07-06-2007, 11:53 AM
It's seriously messed up.

Aesculapius
07-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Ok, but we are accustomed to one (or variations of that one) version of polygamy.

Look at the words 'mono'-'poly'....gamy. And, look where this has ended up...on your television screen.

The true, pure, version of this we will never see on television, either through a Waco type of situation or what we have here with the entertainment side of "community living". This has been around since day one, it's just that something happened long ago that has been watering down the idea. Communication is a strong tool and something that needs to be fixed, imo. It's like a knife...either you can butter your bread with it, or, stab someone with it.

She-Oy
07-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Yes, they did it to procreate quicker, even back in the biblical days, especially back then. But seriously, the last thing we need is to be reproducing at a rapid pace. There's no need for it. And the sexes are pretty evenly balanced as far as numbers go.

I do not see a logical arguement for it. I don't want or need a freakin' village raising me or my child. We are evolved enough to be able to handle that.

Aesculapius
07-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Yes, they did it to procreate quicker...

Getting closer...

ZoNeSeeK
08-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Ha ha! this show is awesome, ive got the whole first season now.

Polygamy (like almost all fundamentalist behaviour) is not just outdated by hundreds of years, but by thousands. And yes, like most lifestyle rules, it was born out of neccessity where conditions were harsher and survival more difficult. The majority of religious concepts that dictate sexual behaviour (anti-contraception, polygamy, anti-homosexuality etc) were to enable the proliferation of the people during trying conditions. You will notice that these practices are still in use or still condoned in areas of the world where living conditions and quality of life is poor.

Fundamentalist religion flourishes in these areas as the belief structure helps ensure large families are produced; the family has a higher chance of surviving a violent and war torn environment or where food is scarce etc. Most religious ideologies were developed with practicality in mind, but due to the danger associated with wrapping it all up in a belief structure they've become incredibly impractical for western societies. As you see by watching Big Love, the constant drama and resulting mess of applying a fundamentalist idea in a situation where you have a kitchen full of stainless steel appliances and three large, comfortable houses in a safe, quiety street with nice leafy trees and kids with access to schools who grow cab up in a safe environment - the polygamy glares its so out of place. Contrasting this entire picture is the Compound and the Prophet, a paedophile riding on the coattails of these ancient practices which have become totally impractical and illegal.

As you see in the series, the Big Love is between Bill and Barb. The rest is a comment on the controversy and conflict of an out of place social experiment. Its interesting, like in Carnivale, the villains and conflict come from the fundamentalist religion.

She-Oy
08-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Have you only seen season 1?

I actually haven't seen the first season at all. I got into during this season's premier (#2) and I'm hooked.

I do know this though, without many spoilers, the Barb and Bill shit is pretty much resolved during this episode and now the story line is more about the tragdies of the compound world and the outside world.

It is a great series, and it takes a look at the family unit in ways most don't even think about.

Polygamy surely ain't for me, I'm a way too jealous soul for that sort of thing, but when done correctly, it's not as strange as it presents itself.

I'm just glad I don't believe in prophets, magic plates and evil-warding underwear!!!

Aesculapius
08-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Phase III....profit.

:lol:

EDIT:

She-Oy
08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
:unsure:

Erin
08-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Big Love is such a great show! Chris and I watch it together. I personally really like Nikki, she's much more likeable in the 2nd season than she was in the first. I love Margene too, but Barb annoys the hell out of me.

Has anyone else wondered when they are going to do anything with that strange side-plot they keep touching on about Albie being gay? They hint at it from time to time, but nothing has happened yet.

Oh and I wanted Ben and Margie to have sex too. :ninja:

OchrisO
08-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Big Love is such a great show! Chris and I watch it together. I personally really like Nikki, she's much more likeable in the 2nd season than she was in the first. I love Margene too, but Barb annoys the hell out of me.

Has anyone else wondered when they are going to do anything with that strange side-plot they keep touching on about Albie being gay? They hint at it from time to time, but nothing has happened yet.

Oh and I wanted Ben and Margie to have sex too. :ninja:

5 episodes behind now. :P

Erin
08-14-2007, 03:33 PM
I know. *tear*

I'm off tomorrow. What about you?

OchrisO
08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
I know. *tear*

I'm off tomorrow. What about you?

I work from 4-10pm. I think I am free after that, and probably most of tonight, aside from adam and candice coming over for a while.

ZoNeSeeK
08-14-2007, 06:15 PM
We're into the second season now!

Has the show been nominated for any awards?