PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89

Garrell
05-16-2021, 07:40 AM
This is my SK home. I enjoy the Facebook group also. This place has always been wonderful and a great resource for friends and knowledge. You can develop friends (and foes) here, harder to do on FB. You can also easily navigate here to stuff past and present. I will always continue to be in both places.

Brian James Freeman
05-16-2021, 08:15 AM
On the topic of people picking up old hobbies or new hobbies during their downtime last year, I thought this was an interesting and kind of related topic:

Why Target's decision to suspend trading card sales isn't too shocking

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/mlb/news/targets-decision-to-suspend-trading-card-sales/66ulj1dxduc51sfbic0j9q5x1

Brian

webstar1000
05-16-2021, 10:55 AM
This is my SK home. I enjoy the Facebook group also. This place has always been wonderful and a great resource for friends and knowledge. You can develop friends (and foes) here, harder to do on FB. You can also easily navigate here to stuff past and present. I will always continue to be in both places.

Very hard. You can’t make enemies when being a dick is banned. And you can’t be anonymous!

MikeDuke
05-16-2021, 12:17 PM
This is not a CD thing, but I hope it's Ok if I post here. I guess I am old school. I have never bought anything off a Facebook. I have bought things off of here, but not a lot. I guess one is I don't understand how it would work on FB. Here, I have found people who will accept my preferred way of paying, which is checks. I don't have a PP account and I really don't see myself getting one so I am sure that would limit me a lot on FB.

Also, I always seem to miss out when a book first comes to the public. I think I have only bought one book that way. All the other S\L books I have bought have been after market. I just don't have the connections or I am just not fast enough. I don't begrudge anyone who can do it, or get more things than I can. I guess I am just a combination of ideas that are being left behind. But, there is still Betts and there is another source (not eBay) that I am getting my books from now. I doubt people on FB would accept my way of doing business. But in the long run, it is bringing in new people, which is a good thing. Anyway, that's it. Carry on with the CD discussions.

namelessnpoor
05-16-2021, 02:04 PM
This is not a CD thing, but I hope it's Ok if I post here. I guess I am old school. I have never bought anything off a Facebook. I have bought things off of here, but not a lot. I guess one is I don't understand how it would work on FB. Here, I have found people who will accept my preferred way of paying, which is checks. I don't have a PP account and I really don't see myself getting one so I am sure that would limit me a lot on FB.

Also, I always seem to miss out when a book first comes to the public. I think I have only bought one book that way. All the other S\L books I have bought have been after market. I just don't have the connections or I am just not fast enough. I don't begrudge anyone who can do it, or get more things than I can. I guess I am just a combination of ideas that are being left behind. But, there is still Betts and there is another source (not eBay) that I am getting my books from now. I doubt people on FB would accept my way of doing business. But in the long run, it is bringing in new people, which is a good thing. Anyway, that's it. Carry on with the CD discussions.

Just a quick blurb on the topic...I remember the days of checks and money orders and I honestly would have no problem taking a check or money order from anyone on here or Facebook. I think for the most part many of the sellers on here and Facebook would be OK with accepting those payments. So don't feel left behind, just ask, I am all for doing whatever makes the deal comfortable for all involved.

Randall Flagg
05-16-2021, 02:32 PM
Checks make a great deal of sense, particularly starting next year.

ICry4Oy
05-16-2021, 05:07 PM
I couldn't tell you the last time I wrote a check. Hell, I don't even know where my checkbook is. It's been years.

Kingfan24
05-16-2021, 06:28 PM

I won't be taking anything other than cash or check next year. If I don't sell much? so be it.

daniel_pyle
05-16-2021, 07:18 PM

I won't be taking anything other than cash or check next year. If I don't sell much? so be it.

What's happening next year?

goathunter
05-16-2021, 07:19 PM

Why next year?

Updated: Ah. Found it. I hadn't heard this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/its-going-to-get-harder-to-avoid-telling-the-irs-about-income-from-online-sales.html

Curly
05-17-2021, 02:11 AM

Very hard. You can’t make enemies when being a dick is banned. And you can’t be anonymous!

What's the name of your Facebook group?

webstar1000
05-17-2021, 04:41 AM

What's the name of your Facebook group?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210517/cc697cf2edb8942eabbb90ee60ba8804.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craigobau
05-17-2021, 05:17 AM
Hey Brian, do you know yet if the Trade HC of Gwendy's Final Task will be available directly from any UK booksellers? Thank you.

Curly
05-17-2021, 06:21 AM
Thanks Kris.

Brian James Freeman
05-17-2021, 06:30 AM
Hey Brian, do you know yet if the Trade HC of Gwendy's Final Task will be available directly from any UK booksellers? Thank you.

Checking on this, and will report back.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-17-2021, 10:46 AM

PS Pub should be getting some copies, but we're not sure when they plan on listing the book for sale.

Brian

craigobau
05-17-2021, 11:35 AM

PS Pub should be getting some copies, but we're not sure when they plan on listing the book for sale.

Brian

Thanks Brian.

jsweet
05-17-2021, 01:01 PM
Brian - any plans for a slipcase for the trade edition of Gwendy's Final Task? Thanks

Brian James Freeman
05-17-2021, 06:43 PM
Brian - any plans for a slipcase for the trade edition of Gwendy's Final Task? Thanks

Yep, we're just waiting to offer it for preorder until we're more caught up in the slipcase department!

Brian

Hunchback Jack
05-18-2021, 02:28 PM

Likewise. I spend about equal time in both places - here and SK-related FB groups. I lurk here a bit more, though.

ETA: Although, I sometimes wait two days before catching up on each individual thread, apparently. :D

lotuz
06-03-2021, 11:21 AM
Happy fifth birthday to my Interview with a Vampire pre-order!

Funny how she has been leapfrogged in the publishing queue by no fewer than five Richard Chizmar books that were announced after she was.

[narrator voice: it is actually not funny at all]

EDIT: Since I'm clearly done even pretending to be nice about CD's chronic issues, here's the comment about Gwendy's Final Task that I deleted after posting a while ago:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's extra messed up about this is that the book that supposedly got you rights to this CD release was not actually published by CD but by LRB... If they're trying to maintain the useful fiction that these are in any way separate publishers (in order not to piss the CD Lifetime Subscribers off, I suppose), stuff like this pretty much destroys the illusion!

So here we have:

Book one published by two authors via LRB
Book two published by one of those authors via CD
Book three published by two authors via CD

To me, the rights should obviously go to the owners of book two, as it shares an author, is inarguably the immediate predecessor in a three-book series, and was published by the same publisher. I know that folks here really like having King vs non-King tracks so they can avoid having to buy non-King books, and I don't disagree with that sentiment, but the fact that the first book wasn't even technically published by CD while the second book was makes this logic tenuous at best!

Anyway, at least they can use the income from this book to maybe finish the limited and lettered editions of Magic Feather, which went on pre-order almost exactly two years ago. And everyone be sure to buy whatever King release they manage to secure in 2024 so they can afford to publish this one! I promise you, if you see news that King has died you should immediately ask for refunds on all your outstanding pre-orders because that will be the exact moment this house of cards collapses completely.

As always I hope that the two hardworking souls at CD who monitor these forums don't take offense to my negativity because I realize that they are not responsible for any of this and if anything are even more beholden to the whims of "management" than us lowly customers. It's taken almost a solid decade of disappointment to grind me down to this point, but I swear their mission in 2021 is to get me mad enough to cancel the five remaining pre-orders that I didn't cancel in 2020.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Randall Flagg
06-03-2021, 11:36 AM

Funny how she has been leapfrogged in the publishing queue by no fewer than five Richard Chizmar books that were announced after she was.

EDIT: Since I'm clearly done even pretending to be nice about CD's chronic issues, here's the comment about Gwendy's Final Task that I deleted after posting a while ago:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's extra messed up about this is that the book that supposedly got you rights to this CD release was not actually published by CD but by LRB... If they're trying to maintain the useful fiction that these are in any way separate publishers (in order not to piss the CD Lifetime Subscribers off, I suppose), stuff like this pretty much destroys the illusion!

So here we have:

To me, the rights should obviously go to the owners of book two, as it shares an author, is inarguably the immediate predecessor in a three-book series, and was published by the same publisher. I know that folks here really like having King vs non-King tracks so they can avoid having to buy non-King books, and I don't disagree with that sentiment, but the fact that the first book wasn't even technically published by CD while the second book was makes this logic tenuous at best!

Anyway, at least they can use the income from this book to maybe finish the limited and lettered editions of Magic Feather, which went on pre-order almost exactly two years ago. And everyone be sure to buy whatever King release they manage to secure in 2024 so they can afford to publish this one! I promise you, if you see news that King has died you should immediately ask for refunds on all your outstanding pre-orders because that will be the exact moment this house of cards collapses completely.

As always I hope that the two hardworking souls at CD who monitor these forums don't take offense to my negativity because I realize that they are not responsible for any of this and if anything are even more beholden to the whims of "management" than us lowly customers. It's taken almost a solid decade of disappointment to grind me down to this point, but I swear their mission in 2021 is to get me mad enough to cancel the five remaining pre-orders that I didn't cancel in 2020.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You have some very valid issues.
I hope it works out for you, and never forget:

Long live the "King"!

OldCrow88
06-03-2021, 11:43 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So here we have:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are rights to a CD book the same as ownership of that invisible sculpture?
[house band: rim shot]

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/01/1002018211/italian-artist-sells-invisible-sculpture-for-real-money

Lurker
06-03-2021, 08:09 PM
I agree with you about Anne Rice. The third book of Gwendy is a bit harder. The second one didn't have a numbered edition (or I would have bought one). So, I would think going with the numbered first one makes sense. But the lettered - both the first and second had lettered (I think) so it would seem that the owners of the second one lettered would have rights. I don't know how that worked - did the owners of book one get the rights?

OldCrow88
06-04-2021, 03:09 AM
I agree with you about Anne Rice. The third book of Gwendy is a bit harder. The second one didn't have a numbered edition (or I would have bought one). So, I would think going with the numbered first one makes sense. But the lettered - both the first and second had lettered (I think) so it would seem that the owners of the second one lettered would have rights. I don't know how that worked - did the owners of book one get the rights?

For my part, I did get rights to pre-order the 2nd and 3rd lettered Gwendy books after I bought the 1st. Pre-ordered the 2nd book in May 2019 and the 3rd in April of this year. Now I wait to see which happens first: the books arrive or my grandkids graduate college. [I don't have grandkids yet.]

shaq
06-04-2021, 06:54 AM
I believe that the limited magic feather is numbered as when I asked to match it with button I was told they would try but as they were diff companies it may have conflicts.

Brian James Freeman
06-04-2021, 07:29 AM
I believe that the limited magic feather is numbered as when I asked to match it with button I was told they would try but as they were diff companies it may have conflicts.

Gwendy's Magic Feather isn't numbered, but the lifetimers between the two have different specific numbers in some cases, so there might be some conflicts to work out. I believe there won't be many, though.

Lifetimers get tricky because CD has sold different types over the years, and there have been a lot of collectors who have "retired" but asked to continue receiving certain types of books... just the anthologies... or just SK... etc.

So, Mindy's standard answer is "we'll try" because the answer today might not be the answer in 6 months. Copy 666 might or might not be available today (we get about 20 requests for that one, even when the print run is less than that!), but it could be in six months...

My advice to anyone interested in starting a small press: don't sell lifetime deals! :)

Brian

shaq
06-04-2021, 08:17 AM
Ah I did not know that. Thanks for clarifying Brian.

Edited to add, although I am a little perplexed how you have a limited edition without said number.

Ah well

MLG
06-04-2021, 08:45 AM

Edited to add, although I am a little perplexed how you have a limited edition without said number.

Ah well

They are pretty common. The signature/limitation page states something like 'This edition limited to 750 copies'. Lividian Press has not numbered any of there books.

Roseannebarr
06-04-2021, 10:08 AM

Gwendy's Magic Feather isn't numbered, but the lifetimers between the two have different specific numbers in some cases, so there might be some conflicts to work out. I believe there won't be many, though.

Lifetimers get tricky because CD has sold different types over the years, and there have been a lot of collectors who have "retired" but asked to continue receiving certain types of books... just the anthologies... or just SK... etc.

So, Mindy's standard answer is "we'll try" because the answer today might not be the answer in 6 months. Copy 666 might or might not be available today (we get about 20 requests for that one, even when the print run is less than that!), but it could be in six months...

My advice to anyone interested in starting a small press: don't sell lifetime deals! :)

Brian

I just deleted my post, Brian answered with the exact same thing I said. Mindy told me the same thing. She will "TRY" which is good enough for me!

Brian James Freeman
06-04-2021, 10:21 AM

Ah well

Yeah, as mentioned above, it's actually fairly common, especially for larger print runs like 750 and above. CD hand-numbers anything below 750 for sure, and some titles at 750. Most 750s and above say, "This is one of XXX copies" on the signature sheet.

We used to number certain books all the way up to 2000 copies, but what we found from research and surveys of collectors was that numbering those big runs did nothing for collectibility -- but it takes up a lot of manpower and resources, especially when people start wanting matching numbers.

Brian

zachip
06-04-2021, 11:15 AM
Finally got shipping notification for Night Ethernal. Thanks team.
10 years of waiting to complete the strain trilogy in deluxe.
Wow. I think that's a record. I'm not complaining. just relief.
I think between publishing each part was a 5 years wait.
Would love to hear the saga behind this.
Overall they beautifully produced. Thanks Brian.

St. Troy
06-05-2021, 11:11 AM
[I don't have grandkids yet.]

Again- why don’t we have a rim shot emoji?

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-05-2021, 01:17 PM
That's just the numbered.
The lettered edition is still on backorder.
Something to look forward to.

And Del Toro and Hogan have started another trilogy, hint, hint.

GenericEric
06-06-2021, 02:45 PM
Question for Brian or Dan. Is the lettered edition of Usher's Passing still on track to be release this summer? Thanks.

DanHocker
06-09-2021, 07:09 AM
Question for Brian or Dan. Is the lettered edition of Usher's Passing still on track to be release this summer? Thanks.

Hopefully. It's my understanding that the case maker is working on those tray cases right now.

Br!an
06-09-2021, 02:27 PM
I just ordered my CDCC shirt.

I would have ordered more than one but I'm unwilling to pay $11.10 per shirt shipping which is what is being charged.

I'm okay with USPS Priority Mail being $11.10. I can't see two shirts requiring $22.20 or three shirts being $33.30 to ship.

Maybe this is just a glitch.

Brian James Freeman
06-09-2021, 02:29 PM

I would have ordered more than one but I'm unwilling to pay $11.10 per shirt shipping which is what is being charged.

I'm okay with USPS Priority Mail being $11.10. I can't see two shirts requiring $22.20 or three shirts being $33.30 to ship.

Tech support and glitches are best handled via email.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-09-2021, 02:40 PM

I'm getting $14.15 for Priority Mail for 10 shirts, by the way, so it might have been a glitch:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/ScreenShot2021-06-09.jpg

The system does sometimes have trouble with shipping on weird (for us) items like shirts.

Best,
Brian

Br!an
06-09-2021, 03:15 PM

Tech support and glitches are best handled via email.

Brian

I replied to the order confirmation email too.

Br!an
06-09-2021, 04:27 PM
The Borderlands Press Peter Straub limited has shipped from Borderlands.

Is there an estimate where the CD copies fall in the shipping queue?

Randall Flagg
06-09-2021, 04:38 PM

I can't speak for CD, but I'm guessing it falls in the PM shipping queue :grouphug:

Brian James Freeman
06-09-2021, 04:41 PM

Probably next week.

Brian

Hunchback Jack
06-11-2021, 11:42 AM
Thanks, Brian.

jsweet
06-14-2021, 07:09 AM
FREE - Anyone interested in a batch of Cemetery Dance dust jackets? Some slight curling from being rolled but otherwise as new.

Free to a good home in the U.S. (Anyone who wants them outside U.S. would need to pay shipping) - Kinsmen, Johnny Halloween, Poe's Lighthouse, Horror Hall of Fame, Mediums Rare

amd013
06-24-2021, 12:16 PM
Yay! Night Shift portfolio is shipping!!

herbertwest
06-27-2021, 02:57 AM
Any news about the upcoming edition of "Seasons of Terror"?

Given that the Cemetery Dance edition cannot be released before the Gallery13 version, and that Amazon says (https://amzn.to/3xZ5tM0)that it has been pushed to a later and unknown date (as I don't think that 2045), what does that mean for the customers that preordered the book through Cemetery Dance?

Also, if CD depends on Gallery13 for the release, how come that it's pushed forward and forward because of them while it was never mentionned when preorders opened about that dependance?

Brian James Freeman
06-27-2021, 07:20 AM
Any news about the upcoming edition of "Seasons of Terror"?

Given that the Cemetery Dance edition cannot be released before the Gallery13 version, and that Amazon says (https://amzn.to/3xZ5tM0)that it has been pushed to a later and unknown date (as I don't think that 2045), what does that mean for the customers that preordered the book through Cemetery Dance?

Also, if CD depends on Gallery13 for the release, how come that it's pushed forward and forward because of them while it was never mentionned when preorders opened about that dependance?

It wasn't mentioned because it would be mentioned in the announcement of every Limited Edition that is also being published by a trade publisher, and since this hasn't come up before, that hasn't seemed necessary.

Brian

herbertwest
06-27-2021, 08:32 AM
Makes sense I guess, but now, what is happening with the book?
Any new release date?

Brian James Freeman
06-27-2021, 08:54 AM
Makes sense I guess, but now, what is happening with the book?
Any new release date?

I’ve been hearing it’ll be out at the end of this year, but I don’t want to step on their toes by making any announcements.

Brian

herbertwest
06-27-2021, 09:22 AM
Thanks again for the reply Brian

Brian James Freeman
06-28-2021, 09:40 AM
For those who have been patiently waiting for the IF IT BLEEDS slipcases, I thought you might like to see the current production step, which is testing the hot foil stamping on the actual covering material to confirm it will stamp cleanly. (When it's a material you've never used before, you just never know for sure until you test it, no matter how confident the manufacturer is!) In this case, the stamping quality is better than our photography skills. ;)

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/IIBstamping.jpg

Brian

Lookwhoitis
06-28-2021, 09:46 AM
Would anyone happen to have a Full Dark No Stars
Trade + Cemetery Dance Black Slipcase or Red Traycase hanging around that they would like to sell me?

I have an Incredible Rachel Readman 4-Remarqued Trade Copy (from a past Haven Fund auction) that is naked and needs a cover.

GenericEric
06-28-2021, 10:14 AM
Unfortunately both art portfolios that I ordered arrived damaged at the top. I did send Mindy an email. I assume you have extras in case this happens? One had damage to the folder and the prints. The other just had damage to the folder and the prints avoided any damage.

https://i.imgur.com/EUnzTj8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YK9uCBT.jpg

goathunter
06-28-2021, 10:37 AM
The Seasons of Terror page is missing from the Simon & Schuster website now, too.

Brian James Freeman
06-28-2021, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately both art portfolios that I ordered arrived damaged at the top. I did send Mindy an email. I assume you have extras in case this happens? One had damage to the folder and the prints. The other just had damage to the folder and the prints avoided any damage.

Yep, we have extras of both! Just be sure to note what your number is for the one with damage to the prints if you also need a replacement signature sheet. (It'll save you some back and forth!)

Brian

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-28-2021, 11:48 AM
About that hot foil stamping, if it bleeds, just dial back the temp a bit.

Tony Two-Cent
06-29-2021, 04:30 AM
About that hot foil stamping, if it bleeds, just dial back the temp a bit.

I see what you did there.

St. Troy
06-30-2021, 09:51 AM
I'm surprised to see that CD's Night Shift gift edition still hasn't sold out. I'm not sure how long previous Doubleday Years gift editions took to sell out, but it feels like they went quicker than this.

webstar1000
06-30-2021, 09:58 AM
I'm surprised to see that CD's Night Shift gift edition still hasn't sold out. I'm not sure how long previous Doubleday Years gift editions took to sell out, but it feels like they went quicker than this.

I wonder if more were printed then the last ones... maybe with the surge in collectors they printed more?

Brian James Freeman
06-30-2021, 10:01 AM

It’s been sold out for a while, but we found a carton in the warehouse so I put it back on the site this morning. It’s in today’s note but we didn’t make a big deal out of it being back on the site. Figured those who needed a copy might notice and grab one while they could!

Brian

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-30-2021, 10:06 AM
Did you do that at night? Shifty!

St. Troy
06-30-2021, 10:52 AM
I'm surprised to see that CD's Night Shift gift edition still hasn't sold out...

It’s been sold out for a while, but we found a carton in the warehouse so I put it back on the site this morning. It’s in today’s note but we didn’t make a big deal out of it being back on the site. Figured those who needed a copy might notice and grab one while they could!

Makes sense; thanks.

Tony Two-Cent
06-30-2021, 01:41 PM
It now says out of print again so they didn't last long!

Roseannebarr
06-30-2021, 11:24 PM
Did you do that at night? Shifty!

I don’t get IT. I feel like an OUTSIDER.

GenericEric
07-02-2021, 08:44 AM
If you haven't ordered any of the King slipcases yet, now would be a good time since CD is having their 4th of July sale with a 44% off coupon code.

Pretty good savings. Glad I didn't order yet.

Brian James Freeman
07-07-2021, 10:24 AM
First finished IF IT BLEEDS slipcase... the rest should be completed next week, so we'll be shipping these by the end of the month if all goes well:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/IfItBleedsSlipcase.jpg

Brian

Randall Flagg
07-07-2021, 10:25 AM
Looking good.

Kingfan24
07-21-2021, 05:44 AM
I have now emailed 3 separate times regarding the odgers Remarque situation with no response. Can someone please respond to my email??

DanHocker
07-21-2021, 07:41 AM
I have now emailed 3 separate times regarding the odgers Remarque situation with no response. Can someone please respond to my email??

Might have just gotten lost in the shuffle. Mindy is looking for your emails, she had been out of town for a couple of days after we sent those emails. Sorry about that.

Brian James Freeman
07-21-2021, 11:38 AM
The extras of the IF IT BLEEDS slipcases have been put into inventory and can now be ordered:

https://www.cemeterydance.com/if-it-bleeds-slipcase.html

Brian

Stockerlone
07-30-2021, 10:58 PM
Volume 7 of the CEMETERY DANCE GERMANY series:

Josh Malerman - Heute am Tag des Schweins
limited 66/999
signed from Josh Malerman + Daniele Serra
Cemetery Dance Germany
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Grrm_Malerman_Hommer_Haifisch_Bradbury_Dann_Hirsch berg_082.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Grrm_Malerman_Hommer_Haifisch_Bradbury_Dann_Hirsch berg_083.JPG

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-31-2021, 03:45 AM
"Lisa! Have you seen Arnold?"

Garrell
07-31-2021, 04:44 AM
The is a really cool Malerman. Congrats.

sullichin
08-05-2021, 04:30 AM
Happy to finally get If It Bleeds slip case but, think I am done preordering a book + slip case from CD as I don't see much point (book not out on publication, slipcase out ???) Looks nice though

playdohman
08-08-2021, 11:18 AM
Brian, When do you think all of the IIB cases will be shipped?

Brian James Freeman
08-08-2021, 11:24 AM

Dan thinks they’ll be finishing up this week. He might be able to give a more specific day when he’s back in the office on Monday and sees what got done on Friday!

Brian

Roseannebarr
08-08-2021, 01:08 PM

Dan thinks they’ll be finishing up this week. He might be able to give a more specific day when he’s back in the office on Monday and sees what got done on Friday!

Brian

That is good news indeed! It looks like those with multiple orders have not shipped yet. Based on past experience. I am still waiting for mine! :flip2:

playdohman
08-08-2021, 04:05 PM

Brian

Thanks!

becca69
08-10-2021, 06:35 AM
Hi Brian. Not sure if this was posted but is CD shipping Billy Summers books separate from slipcases or will they be sent together? And will we be receiving 1st prints? Thanks.

Brian James Freeman
08-10-2021, 06:55 AM
Hi Brian. Not sure if this was posted but is CD shipping Billy Summers books separate from slipcases or will they be sent together? And will we be receiving 1st prints? Thanks.

Shipping separately! We switched to that a few books back because it's just better for everyone. :) I was looking at materials for the slipcase the other day and this one should be very nice.

I'll ask Dan about the books. I'm only down to the office about once a week right now with the kids on summer vacation, etc, etc. :)

Brian

becca69
08-10-2021, 08:16 AM
Thanks Brian!

herbertwest
08-11-2021, 02:22 PM
Given that a Cemetery Dance email has been sent today regarding "Seasons of Terror", any news about the release date?

It's only written in the production update page that the book cannot be released before the Gallery 13 version, mentionning fall 2021.
But Amazon still announce that their edition will be released in 2045

My personal guess is that it will be late 2022 or maybe 2023

daniel_pyle
08-11-2021, 02:37 PM
Man, it's a bummer for anything to be contingent on Gallery 13. I barely even believe they're still in business. Their website doesn't mention any of the Dark Tower comics released since Last Shots, they've made no attempt to explain what's going on with The Sailor, and they've only tweeted once since February. I have a feeling they must have permanently lost a lot of team members during the pandemic. Or maybe they never had many to begin with. Whatever the case, they definitely don't seem up to speed.

Brian James Freeman
08-11-2021, 06:15 PM
Given that a Cemetery Dance email has been sent today regarding "Seasons of Terror", any news about the release date?

It's only written in the production update page that the book cannot be released before the Gallery 13 version, mentionning fall 2021.

Here's the latest update I've gotten for my next update of the website: they're waiting for some minor art revisions to one story and then they will schedule it.

I believe the signature sheets for the CD editions are already circulating, but let me confirm that with the office before you quote me. I think they were in Canada the last time I asked, though!

Brian

Joe315
08-11-2021, 07:51 PM

Here's the latest update I've gotten for my next update of the website: they're waiting for some minor art revisions to one story and then they will schedule it.

I believe the signature sheets for the CD editions are already circulating, but let me confirm that with the office before you quote me. I think they were in Canada the last time I asked, though!

Brian

You have been quoted, thus it is fact.

Alec
08-11-2021, 08:42 PM
Any news on Flight or Fright the lettered edition, Brian.
Best wishes
Alec.

herbertwest
08-12-2021, 05:21 AM
Thanks Brian

Hoping that when this issue is passed, Gallery13 schedule it :)

Brian James Freeman
08-12-2021, 06:10 AM
Any news on Flight or Fright the lettered edition, Brian.
Best wishes
Alec.

Rich tells me that the sheets will be signed as soon as SK is back home and done promoting BILLY SUMMERS.

Brian

Alec
08-12-2021, 09:46 AM
Thank you Brian, good to hear.
Alec.

amd013
08-12-2021, 11:08 AM
Any updates on Lettered Night Shift?

TIA

Brian James Freeman
08-12-2021, 11:56 AM
Any updates on Lettered Night Shift?

TIA

Sorry, I should really get that on the Production Updates page. Since it goes to a separate binder from everything else (who also then makes the cases), it doesn't quite fit into any of the existing categories on there!

I know he had ordered materials as of the last time I checked in. Let me see if those have arrived, and what his schedule looks like.

Thanks!

Brian

amd013
08-26-2021, 06:45 AM
Just got my Billy Summers from CD. Did anyone else get a 2nd printing? I usually order from Amazon to get a reading copy, looks like Amazon will now be the collector copy and CD will be the readers copy.

Brian/Dan, when will The Night Country be shipped?

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-26-2021, 07:23 AM
Just got my Billy Summers from CD. Did anyone else get a 2nd printing? I usually order from Amazon to get a reading copy, looks like Amazon will now be the collector copy and CD will be the readers copy.

Literally 2 minutes after reading your post, the mail lady tooted her horn and brought me my copy, which is a 1st printing.

richardsrarebooks
08-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Has the lettered edition "The Outer Limits Scripts" from Gauntlet arrived? Their website says all copies have shipped. Thanks.

ajw2910
08-26-2021, 02:42 PM

Just received my copy of TNC through Camelot Books, so it should be coming your way soon I would think. It’s really a beautiful book!

Aremag
08-27-2021, 05:31 AM

I received a 2nd printing also. Luckily I bought a 1st printing from Barnes and Noble already.

Merlin1958
08-27-2021, 05:53 AM

I received a 2nd printing also. Luckily I bought a 1st printing from Barnes and Noble already.

Kinda fucked up when you can't depend on a collecting publisher to get you collectible books!! Guess it's a referendum on the current book selling enviroment. And not for the good either!!

DanHocker
08-27-2021, 06:35 AM
Has the lettered edition "The Outer Limits Scripts" from Gauntlet arrived? Their website says all copies have shipped. Thanks.

Hi Richard,

We've had the books for awhile. I need to check and see if we've received the traycases for them yet though. But I think we have. These along with some other smaller shipping projects will ship after we're done with Billy Summers.

DanHocker
08-27-2021, 06:39 AM
For anyone who got a 2nd, just shoot us a email, we can probably swap you out for a first. It looks like there may have been a couple of rouge cases of 2nd printings mixed in with the one pallet, as every book we've looked at in the warehouse since this was first brought up has been a first printing.

ELazansky
08-27-2021, 08:09 AM
Can I get updates on:

The Best of CD 2 - website says slipcases for the LE should be done by September. Any chance the books will be shipped by year end?
Turn Down the Lights - website says book will be sent to printer as soon as possible. Any ideas when that will be?

Had these on order since 2013…

Thanks

Cook
08-27-2021, 01:44 PM
Can I get updates on:

The Best of CD 2 - website says slipcases for the LE should be done by September. Any chance the books will be shipped by year end?
Turn Down the Lights - website says book will be sent to printer as soon as possible. Any ideas when that will be?

Thanks

Geez.. What's the damn hurry ?
I mean come-on, it's not like you've been waiting a decade.
<_< ,,Yet

ajw2910
08-27-2021, 01:54 PM
Can I get updates on:

Thanks

<_< ,,Yet

Yeah, I’ve had best of CD 2 on order since first announced when it was called the 15 year celebration or something like that. Not 100% sure when that was, but it has to have been about 15 years ago.

Brian James Freeman
08-27-2021, 01:55 PM
Can I get updates on:

Thanks

We’ll have to check with Rich about TDtL.

Dan can correct me if I’m wrong, but I would think the plan is to ship Best of CD 2 within a week or two of the slipcases arriving.

Brian

RichardX
08-27-2021, 03:25 PM
Can I get updates on:

Thanks

Medieval monks could have transcribed these books faster while under siege.

GenericEric
08-27-2021, 08:06 PM
I know this is a weirdly specific question, but does anyone have the exact weight of the Sleeping Beauties gift edition? Thanks.

daniel_pyle
08-27-2021, 08:11 PM
I know this is a weirdly specific question, but doesn't anyone have the exact weight of the Sleeping Beauties gift edition? Thanks.

5lb 8.2oz

Edit: That's with the slipcase and a Brodart on the dust jacket.

GenericEric
08-27-2021, 08:25 PM
I know this is a weirdly specific question, but doesn't anyone have the exact weight of the Sleeping Beauties gift edition? Thanks.

5lb 8.2oz

Edit: That's with the slipcase and a Brodart on the dust jacket.

Thanks! Appreciate the fast info.

Cook
08-28-2021, 05:14 AM
Can I get updates on:

Thanks

<_< ,,Yet

Yeah, I’ve had best of CD 2 on order since first announced when it was called the 15 year celebration or something like that. Not 100% sure when that was, but it has to have been about 15 years ago.

15 yrs.. huh :orely:
Well, you gotta hand it to Cemetery Dance.
Marketing genius if you think about it.

jeffingoff
08-28-2021, 05:44 AM
3 days ago, when I received the CD email from the desk of Richard Chizmar, I was stunned into silence. If you’ve seen just a few minutes of my YouTube channel then you know I physically cannot shut up.

After years of waiting for books to be published and months of being barraged with emails promoting Chizmar’s Boogeyman including being bribed with actual beautiful books, we all get this email From The Desk of Richard Chizmar. Foolishly, like someone in an abusive relationship who keeps making excuses to stay in the abusive relationship, I thought it would be an apology. Something along the lines of “Dear loyal customers, I’m thrilled to be back in the captain’s chair and ready to move these books through the production schedule. I promise you the distractions are over and I hope you can forgive me for pursuing my long-held passion to be on The NY Times best seller list. But now, get ready for some beautiful Cemetery Dance books!”

I was an idiot. Still am.

Because what we got instead was an email instructing us on how we can help him promote his book!!! Wow. I mean, I know we were all falling all over ourselves wondering how we could push that book up the charts (years of waiting be damned!) but nothing from the desk of Richard Chizmar about the epic wait for books—some of which are waiting only on his goddamned signature?!

Wow.

Ricky
08-28-2021, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I think I'm about one "Chasing the Boogeyman" e-mail away from unsubscribing from CD mailing lists.

Roseannebarr
08-28-2021, 11:00 AM
Well you better not look at your emails today then! 😂😃🤪:Ball Kick:

jeffingoff
08-28-2021, 11:01 AM
Well you better not look at your emails today then! [emoji23][emoji2][emoji2957]:Ball Kick:

[emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji1787]

ICry4Oy
08-28-2021, 03:20 PM
3 days ago, when I received the CD email from the desk of Richard Chizmar, I was stunned into silence. If you’ve seen just a few minutes of my YouTube channel then you know I physically cannot shut up.

After years of waiting for books to be published and months of being barraged with emails promoting Chizmar’s Boogeyman including being bribed with actual beautiful books, we all get this email From The Desk of Richard Chizmar. Foolishly, like someone in an abusive relationship who keeps making excuses to stay in the abusive relationship, I thought it would be an apology. Something along the lines of “Dear loyal customers, I’m thrilled to be back in the captain’s chair and ready to move these books through the production schedule. I promise you the distractions are over and I hope you can forgive me for pursuing my long-held passion to be on The NY Times best seller list. But now, get ready for some beautiful Cemetery Dance books!”

Because what we got instead was an email instructing us on how we can help him promote his book!!! Wow. I mean, I know we were all falling all over ourselves wondering how we could push that book up the charts (years of waiting be damned!) but nothing from the desk of Richard Chizmar about the epic wait for books—some of which are waiting only on his goddamned signature?!

Wow.

HAHAHA!!!!!
I got so fed up a month or so ago that I set up an email rule where any email with the word "boogeyman" automatically goes to my trash folder.

jeffingoff
08-29-2021, 12:56 PM
Damn! Well you shot yourself in the foot and missed today’s chance to win a $250 CD gift card just for buying CTB.

CyberGhostface
08-29-2021, 12:58 PM
I got a ‘free’ (which is to say I preordered it and was reimbursed with CD credit) ebook of CtB so no complaints there.

jeffingoff
08-29-2021, 01:00 PM
I got a ‘free’ (which is to say I preordered it and was reimbursed with CD credit) ebook of CtB so no complaints there.

Win! I’d love to know what you think of the story.

CyberGhostface
08-29-2021, 02:46 PM
I’ll try to read it soon, just have a bit of a backlog. It seems to be getting positive reviews though.

jeffingoff
08-29-2021, 02:57 PM
I’ll try to read it soon, just have a bit of a backlog. It seems to be getting positive reviews though.

Currently a 4.36 on Goodreads. That’s a solid rating. I’d have every confidence I’d enjoy reading a book rated that highly.

MLG
08-29-2021, 03:52 PM

Currently a 4.36 on Goodreads. That’s a solid rating. I’d have every confidence I’d enjoy reading a book rated that highly.

I enjoyed it but did not love it. Fiction that reads like true crime is right in my wheelhouse so I expected more. Two areas that reduced my enjoyment. The first is that the story is being narrated by a person with no real insight into the crimes. Just happened to live in the area and wanted to be a horror writer. The second is that there was too much information about the narrator (a fictional Richard Chizmar). I really enjoy Chizmar's shorter fiction. The collection 'A Long December' is fantastic. This one was a decent read but, in my view, would have been better suited as a novella.

jeffingoff
08-29-2021, 03:55 PM

I enjoyed it but did not love it. Fiction that reads like true crime is right in my wheelhouse so I expected more. Two areas that reduced my enjoyment. The first is that the story is being narrated by a person with no real insight into the crimes. Just happened to live in the area and wanted to be a horror writer. The second is that there was too much information about the narrator (a fictional Richard Chizmar). I really enjoy Chizmar's shorter fiction. The collection 'A Long December' is fantastic. This one was a decent read but, in my view, would have been better suited as a novella.

Appreciate the honest review. I had similar issues to a much worse degree with Girl on the Porch. Maybe I’ll give Long Way Home a try.

MLG
08-29-2021, 04:11 PM

Appreciate the honest review. I had similar issues to a much worse degree with Girl on the Porch. Maybe I’ll give Long Way Home a try.

I enjoyed 'Girl in the Porch'. In my view 'A Long December' is much better than 'Long Way Home'. Just keep in mind that you are getting reading advice from a person who loves Bentley Little's 'The Mailman'.

jeffingoff
08-29-2021, 05:05 PM

I enjoyed 'Girl in the Porch'. In my view 'A Long December' is much better than 'Long Way Home'. Just keep in mind that you are getting reading advice from a person who loves Bentley Little's 'The Mailman'.

Your opinion carries a lot of weight with me despite that obvious flaw.

lotuz
08-29-2021, 06:04 PM

Wow.

I swear their goal this year has been to goad the most forgiving, optimistic, longstanding customers into an existential rage via Chasing the Boogeyman promotions and continued production delays.

On one hand, I have started to fervently hope for their demise - they are a literal ponzi scheme, with each new pre-order paying for the production of past pre-orders and absolutely no hope of every becoming solvent, and every time an author like Ann Rice or Joe Hill or Jeff VanderMeer or Gillian Flynn gets tricked into releasing a limited edition with them, that's one more book that could have been something awesome with another publisher but instead will end up a mediocre volume published 5+ years after announcement. They are a huge old shitty tree, and when it finally falls lots of vibrant undergrowth can take over and make a beautiful space for new, better trees to take root and flourish.

Imagine what any number of new small presses (Lyra's, Midworld, Lividian, Amaranthine, Arete, etc.) could have done with Interview with the Vampire or Strange Weather or The Southern Reach Trilogy... Let alone what someone like Suntup Editions or Centipede Press could have done! That should give you an idea of what we're all missing out on because Cemetery Dance continues to sputter along...

On the other hand, the few people we interact with here - Brian, Dan, Mindy - are just phenomenal, and I would never wish for something unfortunate to befall them! And I have to imagine that however CD finally ends, it's not going to look very pretty for people whose last names aren't "Chizmar"... :( :(

jeffingoff
08-29-2021, 06:06 PM
PERFECTLY stated.

Roseannebarr
08-29-2021, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I think I'm about one "Chasing the Boogeyman" e-mail away from unsubscribing from CD mailing lists.

Stay away from your emails, THERE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

St. Troy
08-30-2021, 05:56 AM
I receive so much e-mail spam I don't find the added CD/CTB spam very bothersome by itself so much as I've started to feel bad that RC feels the need to piggyback on CD so aggressively (I don't think I'd want to flirt with irritating my business's client base for my personal work, and this passed flirting a while ago (the hand is on my thigh - and on the move)).

(As for my "personal journey" with these e-mails: I ignored them until one offered a chance to win a CD GE It, and since this was pretty much my only realistic chance to ever own one of those, I ordered CTB. I didn't win the GE It, but now that I've taken a good look at CTB (haven't read, but will soon), it actually looks pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to it.)

webstar1000
08-30-2021, 06:07 AM
I really get why Richard did what he did. This was VERY important to him. He owns the press... its his right to do what he wants. Saying that, I can see how many people are getting tired of it when other books are so delayed. I really hope CD can get back on track and win back some good jujubes from their clientele.

St. Troy
08-30-2021, 06:17 AM
I really get why Richard did what he did. This was VERY important to him. He owns the press... its his right to do what he wants.

Sure - and while irritating in one sense, it's not something I personally factor into the decision of whether to continue doing business with CD.

...Saying that, I can see how many people are getting tired of it when other books are so delayed.

Also true - not all buyers are me, and patience is a tricky thing to gauge in a group.

I really hope CD can get back on track and win back some good jujubes from their clientele.

Same here; I think they do nice work, but between the promotional activity and the long - I mean, looooooooong - lead times on some titles, they can't seem to stop generating their own bad press.

RichardX
08-30-2021, 06:29 AM
I really hope CD can get back on track and win back some good jujubes from their clientele.

The problem is that I don't recall CD ever being on track. The long waits have become part of the calculation in dealing with them. They have made no improvement that I can ever recall in that regard. Patience is one thing but when they are taking years or even a decade to release a book it is unacceptable. Good product, nice people but lousy service.

Cook
08-30-2021, 06:39 AM
I swear their goal this year has been to goad the most forgiving, optimistic, longstanding customers into an existential rage via Chasing the Boogeyman promotions and continued production delays.

On one hand, I have started to fervently hope for their demise - they are a literal ponzi scheme, with each new pre-order paying for the production of past pre-orders and absolutely no hope of every becoming solvent, and every time an author like Ann Rice or Joe Hill or Jeff VanderMeer or Gillian Flynn gets tricked into releasing a limited edition with them, that's one more book that could have been something awesome with another publisher but instead will end up a mediocre volume published 5+ years after announcement. They are a huge old shitty tree, and when it finally falls lots of vibrant undergrowth can take over and make a beautiful space for new, better trees to take root and flourish.

Imagine what any number of new small presses (Lyra's, Midworld, Lividian, Amaranthine, Arete, etc.) could have done with Interview with the Vampire or Strange Weather or The Southern Reach Trilogy... Let alone what someone like Suntup Editions or Centipede Press could have done! That should give you an idea of what we're all missing out on because Cemetery Dance continues to sputter along...

On the other hand, the few people we interact with here - Brian, Dan, Mindy - are just phenomenal, and I would never wish for something unfortunate to befall them! And I have to imagine that however CD finally ends, it's not going to look very pretty for people whose last names aren't "Chizmar"... :( :(

Pretty scary to think what would happen if CD filed for bankruptcy.
I'm guessing all the loyal customers would lose out on both the books and their deposit money?

Tony Two-Cent
08-30-2021, 07:30 AM
Not that I think it's imminently on the horizon, but if CD ever ceased to exist I would think there would be a place for Dan at Lividian Publications. (Dan is Brian's brother-in-law. Brian is married to Dan's sister Kate.) Things really seem to be on the upswing at Lividian. Both Dan and Mindy are wonderful people who have exhibited exemplary customer service so I'm sure they would land on their feet somewhere.

Just out of curiosity, when you cancel a pre-order at CD do you get your money back, or do they just give you store credit? I'm not saying I'm to that point yet but I have been giving it some thought.

MLG
08-30-2021, 07:56 AM
Not that I think it's imminently on the horizon, but if CD ever ceased to exist I would think there would be a place for Dan at Lividian Publications. (Dan is Brian's brother-in-law. Brian is married to Dan's sister Kate.) Things really seem to be on the upswing at Lividian. Both Dan and Mindy are wonderful people who have exhibited exemplary customer service so I'm sure they would land on their feet somewhere.

Just out of curiosity, when you cancel a pre-order at CD do you get your money back, or do they just give you store credit? I'm not saying I'm to that point yet but I have been giving it some thought.

When I have cancelled a CD order they have refunded based on how I paid. If I paid by credit card the refund went to the card. If I paid with store credit the refund was added to my account. Not sure how they would manage a full refund from a store credit purchase as my store credit is typically purchased at 50% off.

Tony Two-Cent
08-30-2021, 08:47 AM

When I have cancelled a CD order they have refunded based on how I paid. If I paid by credit card the refund went to the card. If I paid with store credit the refund was added to my account. Not sure how they would manage a full refund from a store credit purchase as my store credit is typically purchased at 50% off.

Thank you. I appreciate the info.

Ricky
08-30-2021, 03:00 PM

they are a literal ponzi scheme, with each new pre-order paying for the production of past pre-orders and absolutely no hope of every becoming solvent, and every time an author like Ann Rice or Joe Hill or Jeff VanderMeer or Gillian Flynn gets tricked into releasing a limited edition with them, that's one more book that could have been something awesome with another publisher but instead will end up a mediocre volume published 5+ years after announcement.

On the other hand, the few people we interact with here - Brian, Dan, Mindy - are just phenomenal

Agree with all of this. At this point, I have zero faith that we're getting Strange Weather or Sharp Objects. And I doubt the final product will be wow-worthy enough to justify the long multi-year extensions and waiting.

Stay away from your emails, THERE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, saw it today. I couldn't believe it but yet I could.

ICry4Oy
08-31-2021, 08:19 AM
At this point I just hope they stay solvent until the last two Doubleday books have completed. That should be what, 5 or 8 years? I've cancelled everything else.

Kingfan24
08-31-2021, 10:47 AM

Pretty scary to think what would happen if CD filed for bankruptcy.
I'm guessing all the loyal customers would lose out on both the books and their deposit money?

No doubt about the losing money in that scenario. I’ve cancelled everything I pre-ordered. I haven’t even pre-ordered my final Doubleday years books yet. I just didn’t have any confidence that CD will be around a whole lot longer.

GenericEric
08-31-2021, 01:05 PM
That "from the desk" email that Jeff brought up comes across as completely tone deaf. I actually find it insulting. It almost reads like satire.

amd013
08-31-2021, 06:09 PM
What is this email people are referring to, I didn't get any that meets that description.

Brian James Freeman
08-31-2021, 06:21 PM
What is this email people are referring to, I didn't get any that meets that description.

It was sent to the Richard Chizmar Mailing List (from his website) on pub day for his novel.

Brian

Tony Two-Cent
09-01-2021, 09:58 AM
Another day, another CHASING THE BOOGEYMAN email. :wtf:

Joe315
09-01-2021, 01:10 PM
Well he's number 10 on the fiction list. Maybe he'll stop the emails. https://www.nytimes.com/books/best-sellers/hardcover-fiction/

Brian James Freeman
09-02-2021, 07:19 AM
There is an email going to the Richard Chizmar Mailing List for his website today. It is about Chasing the Boogeyman. Just wanted to give you a heads-up!

jeffingoff
09-02-2021, 07:25 AM
There is an email going to the Richard Chizmar Mailing List for his website today. It is about Chasing the Boogeyman. Just wanted to give you a heads-up!

Hahahaha once it goes out it’ll be like this Obi Wan quote:

“I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.”

Only the screaming won’t stop.

Thank you for the warning! When I see it, I’ll now have a chuckle.

Brian James Freeman
09-02-2021, 08:11 AM
HA! I certainly where everyone is coming from, re: the amount of email on this particular topic. I have to put the emails together and load them into the system, so... it feels like Groundhog Day sometimes!

I'm pushing for some CD production updates that I can post. Like this one:

https://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/2/hill01photo.jpg

There are projects moving forward, and I completely understand you wouldn't know it from the newsletter lately. Mindy, Dan, and I have continued plugging away in the background. It's not exciting stuff, but it's getting done.

Brian

jeffingoff
09-02-2021, 08:46 AM
HA! I certainly where everyone is coming from, re: the amount of email on this particular topic. I have to put the emails together and load them into the system, so... it feels like Groundhog Day sometimes!

I'm pushing for some CD production updates that I can post. Like this one:

There are projects moving forward, and I completely understand you wouldn't know it from the newsletter lately. Mindy, Dan, and I have continued plugging away in the background. It's not exciting stuff, but it's getting done.

Brian

Those look gorgeous!

daniel_pyle
09-02-2021, 09:29 AM

YES! I know there's a lot of frustration associated with this release, and I share in that, but I'm still incredibly excited about it. Now even more so!

Brian James Freeman
09-02-2021, 09:36 AM

YES! I know there's a lot of frustration associated with this release, and I share in that, but I'm still incredibly excited about it. Now even more so!

I realized when answering a question on Facebook the other day that I’m pretty sure we never announced that we used some of the unexpected extra production time to add a couple of unannounced interior illustrations to each novella. I’m hoping I can post those soon.

Brian

GenericEric
09-02-2021, 10:34 AM
As annoyed as I get at CD for all their issues, I still can't help but get excited for some of their editions. And Strange Weather is definitely one of them!

Ben Mears
09-02-2021, 11:16 AM
Maybe if RC turned control of CD over to BF circumstances might improve.

daniel_pyle
09-02-2021, 11:22 AM
The more I think about this thread, the more I realize I should try to be more supportive of people who always give 110% 210%, so that's what I'm doing. Brian, consider yourself one Patreon supporter stronger as of right…NOW!

I should have done that a long time ago, but sometimes I'm an idiot.

INT. MY HOUSE—DAY

A shadow creeps across my shoulder.

WIFE
Sometimes?

FADE OUT

Brian James Freeman
09-02-2021, 12:05 PM
The more I think about this thread, the more I realize I should try to be more supportive of people who always give 110% 210%, so that's what I'm doing. Brian, consider yourself one Patreon supporter stronger as of right…NOW!

Thank you very, very much! (And thank you for your feedback on today's post there! Those old paperbacks were actually the inspiration for that feature, and it's just one of the things I'm really, really happy about with these Lividian limited editions. I hope others will dig it, too.)

Brian

GenericEric
09-02-2021, 04:09 PM
Question for Brian or Dan. I noticed in the lettered update section that it says the traycase for Usher's Passing is still being worked on. Is the book completely done? It's just the traycase that needs to be finished before it ships? Thanks.

Brian James Freeman
09-02-2021, 04:17 PM
Question for Brian or Dan. I noticed in the lettered update section that it says the traycase for Usher's Passing is still being worked on. Is the book completely done? It's just the traycase that needs to be finished before it ships? Thanks.

Correct! The books are finished. I know Mindy was getting a status report from the case maker, but I’m not sure what she heard back. I will check!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
09-06-2021, 06:14 PM

Correct! The books are finished. I know Mindy was getting a status report from the case maker, but I’m not sure what she heard back. I will check!

Brian

These should be the cases he's working on now.

Brian

ICry4Oy
09-07-2021, 01:02 PM
Did any of these ever get sent?

Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:26 AM: You're receiving this email because were a member of the Cemetery Dance Collectors Club 7 and we have a production update today for you on your exclusive Not-For-Sale Signed Limited Edition that you are still owed with your membership.

GRAVESIDE MANNER 1 is proofread and printer ready, and only three more authors need to sign the signature sheets. We fully expect this one to be published in 2019. As a reminder, this book will NEVER be reprinted or republished: no trade paperbacks, no eBooks, etc. The Limited Edition you receive will be the only edition ever published!

Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:33 AM: You're receiving this email because were a member of the Cemetery Dance Collectors Club 8 and we have a production update today for you on your exclusive Not-For-Sale Signed Limited Edition that you are still owed with your membership.
GRAVESIDE MANNER 2 has been proofread and is printer ready, and the signature sheets are now circulating among the authors. There are more authors in this volume than were in Volume One (which is being published for the CDCC 7 members), so it may take a little longer for them all to sign, but we’re staying on them as much as possible.

That said, we fully expect GRAVESIDE MANNER 2 to be published in 2019. As a reminder, this book will NEVER be reprinted or republished: no trade paperbacks, no eBooks, etc. The Limited Edition you receive will be the only edition ever published!

Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:37 AM: You're receiving this email because are a member of the Cemetery Dance Collectors Club 9, which officially starts today, and we have a production update today for you on your exclusive Not-For-Sale Signed Limited Edition that you will receive as part of your membership!

GRAVESIDE MANNER 3 has started into production and we’re just waiting on one more story to arrive before design begins. We’ve asked our designer to start with the signature sheets, so those can be circulating among the signing authors before the end of the year. We’d like to publish this volume in 2019, so the complete set will be in our collectors’ hands next year, but we will keep you updated as things progress.

As a reminder, GRAVESIDE MANNER 3 will NEVER be reprinted or republished: no trade paperbacks, no eBooks, etc. The Limited Edition you receive will be the only edition ever published!

Br!an
09-07-2021, 01:13 PM
Did any of these ever get sent?

Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:26 AM: You're receiving this email because were a member of the Cemetery Dance Collectors Club 7 and we have a production update today for you on your exclusive Not-For-Sale Signed Limited Edition that you are still owed with your membership.

GRAVESIDE MANNER 1 is proofread and printer ready, and only three more authors need to sign the signature sheets. We fully expect this one to be published in 2019. As a reminder, this book will NEVER be reprinted or republished: no trade paperbacks, no eBooks, etc. The Limited Edition you receive will be the only edition ever published!

Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:33 AM: You're receiving this email because were a member of the Cemetery Dance Collectors Club 8 and we have a production update today for you on your exclusive Not-For-Sale Signed Limited Edition that you are still owed with your membership.
GRAVESIDE MANNER 2 has been proofread and is printer ready, and the signature sheets are now circulating among the authors. There are more authors in this volume than were in Volume One (which is being published for the CDCC 7 members), so it may take a little longer for them all to sign, but we’re staying on them as much as possible.

That said, we fully expect GRAVESIDE MANNER 2 to be published in 2019. As a reminder, this book will NEVER be reprinted or republished: no trade paperbacks, no eBooks, etc. The Limited Edition you receive will be the only edition ever published!

Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 11:37 AM: You're receiving this email because are a member of the Cemetery Dance Collectors Club 9, which officially starts today, and we have a production update today for you on your exclusive Not-For-Sale Signed Limited Edition that you will receive as part of your membership!

GRAVESIDE MANNER 3 has started into production and we’re just waiting on one more story to arrive before design begins. We’ve asked our designer to start with the signature sheets, so those can be circulating among the signing authors before the end of the year. We’d like to publish this volume in 2019, so the complete set will be in our collectors’ hands next year, but we will keep you updated as things progress.

As a reminder, GRAVESIDE MANNER 3 will NEVER be reprinted or republished: no trade paperbacks, no eBooks, etc. The Limited Edition you receive will be the only edition ever published!

No

St. Troy
09-07-2021, 01:18 PM
The ultimate limited edition: never actually produced.

Br!an
09-07-2021, 01:29 PM
There is no limit to how limited this is!

https://www.cemeterydance.com/graveside-manner-1.html
https://www.cemeterydance.com/graveside-manner-2.html
https://www.cemeterydance.com/graveside-manner-3.html :doh:

Brian James Freeman
09-07-2021, 01:34 PM
I believe all three of the Graveside Manner books are now completely done, signature sheets and all, and ready for the printer. They're signed by a bunch (if not all -- I cannot recall off the top of my head but I will check!) of the contributors and I think they're going to make a really nice set for the collectors who get all three... My understanding is that the plan is to send them to the printer at the same time, so they can ship at the same time:

https://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/chizmar21_369x540.jpg
https://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/CEMETERY13_369x540.jpg
https://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/2/cemetery14_369x540.jpg

Brian

Br!an
09-07-2021, 01:37 PM
Nice! Thanks, Brian.

Is there a working link to the third book on your site?

Brian James Freeman
09-07-2021, 01:59 PM
Nice! Thanks, Brian.

Is there a working link to the third book on your site?

Apparently not! It looks like we never actually made that third page live. I will confirm all of the details in the page file are correct, and get it done tomorrow. Your link above should work then! :eek:

Brian

jeffingoff
09-07-2021, 05:52 PM
There’s a fire burning on Facebook tonight. Jeff Vandermeer spilled some serious tea. Flammable tea. I think Richard needs to address this one.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210908/b645579c4552896657ed73de2cccc10b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210908/2adae8ffe2c542c670b6188305de0b97.jpg

Kingfan24
09-07-2021, 06:21 PM
well it was bound to happen at some point. Especially after the email today.

jeffingoff
09-07-2021, 06:22 PM

The Collectors Club email?

Kingfan24
09-07-2021, 07:07 PM

Yup. Pushing more books when others languish.

MLG
09-07-2021, 07:53 PM
I am a CDCC member and did not receive any emails from today.

Kingfan24
09-07-2021, 07:56 PM

It was a “sign up for the club” email

MLG
09-07-2021, 07:59 PM

It was a “sign up for the club” email

That makes sense, I would get that one. Thanks.

Tommy
09-07-2021, 11:07 PM
He seems to be venting on Twitter but not as intense....

https://twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/1435401812274819076

How long did he have the sheets to sign if I can ask?

webstar1000
09-08-2021, 03:08 AM
I love CD but am starting to consider pulling my money… I have A LOT with them. And the stuff I’m reading and seeing is very concerning to me. I do not understand why they just don’t fill the backlogs. When your authors are getting mad at you like that? It’s a real problem.

Brian James Freeman
09-08-2021, 05:23 AM
Hey guys,

In my opinion, I think some mistakes were made and things could have been handled a little differently on both sides that would have resulted in a more productive conversation. But I wasn’t privy to any of that until after the fact, and what has been said has been said.

The printer’s finish date is currently the second week of October. Slipcases should be started right away. Unfortunately, this new printer isn’t comfortable making dummy books, so we need a real, finished book for proper sizing. But for those who were concerned about whether the book would be printed, it’s being printed right now and there will be photos to post in October. I think this DJ is going to look pretty incredible.

Brian

[any typos are because my phone hates me]

herbertwest
09-08-2021, 06:08 AM
Hello Brian,

Out of curiosity, what book is it about?

jeffingoff
09-08-2021, 06:42 AM
Hello Brian,

The Southern Reach Trilogy.

MLG
09-08-2021, 06:46 AM
Hello Brian,

I am not knowledgeable on Vandermeer's work. Are 'Area X' and 'The Southern Reach Trilogy' one and the same?

jeffingoff
09-08-2021, 06:53 AM
Hello Brian,

I am not knowledgeable on Vandermeer's work. Are 'Area X' and 'The Southern Reach Trilogy' one and the same?

Yea I believe so.

Tony Two-Cent
09-08-2021, 07:13 AM
I was just reading some of the details regarding Dark Debts by Karen Hall.

From the original announcement on August 4, 2016: "Stephen King has written a terrific original introduction about why he loves this book so much!"

https://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/stephen-king-says-i-loved-this-book-dark-debts-by-karen-hall/

From the original product page: "Stephen King has written a terrific original introduction about his first selection for the line."

https://www.cemeterydance.com/dark-debts-cemetery-dance-gold-seal-1.html

Five years later, from the Production Updates page: "We are still waiting on the introduction from Stephen King."

https://www.cemeterydance.com/production-updates.html

Brian James Freeman
09-08-2021, 08:22 AM

From the original announcement on August 4, 2016: "Stephen King has written a terrific original introduction about why he loves this book so much!"

https://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/stephen-king-says-i-loved-this-book-dark-debts-by-karen-hall/

From the original product page: "Stephen King has written a terrific original introduction about his first selection for the line."

Five years later, from the Production Updates page: "We are still waiting on the introduction from Stephen King."

My understanding was that it had been written before the book was announced, but that was incorrect, and I leave chasing Steve to Rich. That is 100% his job. I will email just about anyone to get a project finished, but my hands get all clammy and I feel like a total imposter when I have to write an email to Stephen King. :scared: Other people can claim to be Joe Cool about it, and they probably are, but not me. He's the last of my childhood heroes...

I had BIG ideas for this line when it launched, so being stalled at this book bums me out greatly. But thank you (genuinely) for the reminder to nudge Rich again, I will go do that now. :)

Best,
Brian

Roseannebarr
09-08-2021, 09:09 AM

My understanding was that it had been written before the book was announced, but that was incorrect, and I leave chasing Steve to Rich. That is 100% his job. I will email just about anyone to get a project finished, but my hands get all clammy and I feel like a total imposter when I have to write an email to Stephen King. :scared: Other people can claim to be Joe Cool about it, and they probably are, but not me. He's the last of my childhood heroes...

I had BIG ideas for this line when it launched, so being stalled at this book bums me out greatly. But thank you (genuinely) for the reminder to nudge Rich again, I will go do that now. :)

Best,
Brian

I AM not worried about this series. I am glad it stalled. :) I collect Stephen King books, intro's to other books by him, etc... This saved me some headache.

PS. Great JOb in responding to negative press lately. That would be the least favorite part of the job, if I had to do it for you.

If anyone above cancels their orders, I would love a lettered copy of THE STAND and the Shining! any pc copies laying around. The Double day years are awesome books. Looking forward to the VIKING years next! and then....

Tony Two-Cent
09-08-2021, 10:42 AM

Best,
Brian

As always, your reply is professional and polite, Brian. We have an idea of what you are dealing with there and you always go above and beyond to resolve matters. Thank you for all that you do!

Joe315
09-08-2021, 12:54 PM
Rich really needs to hand the reins over to someone else so he can focus on his own work. Honestly doesn’t seem like his heart is in it any more. I mean 5+ years to get an introduction from Stephen King?

Cook
09-08-2021, 03:39 PM
I think the only way to help CD is to force honest accountability.

Maybe it's just me but it seems CD always responds with misdirection in answer to direct questions.
"let me look into that", "I'll check with somebody on this", "I'm not sure but I think", "can't check now somebody's not at the office" "I'm not the one that makes those decisions",
My absolute favorite is "you can have your money back" really? after waiting a decade?
gee thanks CD, how wonderful of you.

All the smoke & mirrors bullshit is tiring.

If everybody would start calling CD out.. really calling them out, they might change their ways.
I wish everybody would answer this question internally to themselves.
Would your own company or the company you work for still be in business if it was ran like CD?

The top company policy worldwide is on time delivery.

I personally will never buy directly from CD ever again.
It's not worth the headache and by the time it's actually released who cares anymore.

Aronstg
09-08-2021, 03:48 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I'm not really up in arms over CD delays. I guess I feel like I was aware of their history of delays prior to me ordering anything. Also if I wanna weigh the pros and cons, CD had come through with me many more times than they have disappointed me. For every delayed book I have on order right now (5) I feel like CD has went out of their way to accommodate my requests on multiple occasions.

I think we all have a different perspective on time and patience.

jeffingoff
09-08-2021, 03:58 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I'm not really up in arms over CD delays. I guess I feel like I was aware of their history of delays prior to me ordering anything. Also if I wanna weigh the pros and cons, CD had come through with me many more times than they have disappointed me. For every delayed book I have on order right now (5) I feel like CD has went out of their way to accommodate my requests on multiple occasions.

Very true. This kerfuffle has kicked up a lot of good conversation. I told someone who was concerned that I’m waiting on my CD preorders with good faith that I’ll someday get them. But not everyone has the same tolerance for delays.

And what’s got many so upset this time round is Richard’s energy and focus promoting his work—Gwendy and Boogeyman—while all else seems to be at a standstill. If it weren’t for all those emails and promotions for a book CD isn’t even publishing then people might not have been so stirred up.

St. Troy
09-08-2021, 04:39 PM
I don't own many CD titles and can't be bothered to do the extensive research it would take to confirm, but I wonder (my brain has generated this impression but I don't know if it makes sense) if the long-delayed books discussed here all date to the same time period, or at least the time before CD started straightening out some of their processes (which I'm pretty sure I heard did happen). Of course, if the time period in question is "pre-2021," then that's a true problem.

I really hope CD is able to permanently clear the logjams; I love their work, and I think they compare quite favorably to a few publishers out there who I won't mention (because they don't deserve to be dragged simply because their tastes don't align as closely with mine).

St. Troy
09-08-2021, 04:44 PM
...what’s got many so upset this time round is Richard’s energy and focus promoting his work—Gwendy and Boogeyman—while all else seems to be at a standstill...

That's the thing: I'll happily buy "pipeline" excuses all day every day, but when certain things positively whooooosh down the pipe and others are lodged for 5 years or more, we have to wonder just what is going on with the pipe and what the plumber has been doing (this likely is where people begin to wonder how good-faith businesspeople generate such results).

Cook
09-08-2021, 06:51 PM
But, why justify bad business behavior?
Three response statements posted here sort of highlight my discomfort with the new CD norm

“I was aware or their history”
“I’ll someday get them”
“Upset this time round”

Why is this the acceptable norm with CD?
Over promise, under deliver?
I somehow missed this course in my studies.

Very true. This kerfuffle has kicked up a lot of good conversation. I told someone who was concerned that I’m waiting on my CD preorders with good faith that I’ll someday get them. But not everyone has the same tolerance for delays.

And what’s got many so upset this time round is Richard’s energy and focus promoting his work—Gwendy and Boogeyman—while all else seems to be at a standstill. If it weren’t for all those emails and promotions for a book CD isn’t even publishing then people might not have been so stirred up.

lotuz
09-08-2021, 06:57 PM
I love CD but am starting to consider pulling my money… I have A LOT with them. And the stuff I’m reading and seeing is very concerning to me. I do not understand why they just don’t fill the backlogs. When your authors are getting mad at you like that? It’s a real problem.

They don't fill the backlogs because they can't afford to fill the backlogs because they are using the money from new pre-orders to pay for production of older books that are already sold.

ICry4Oy
09-08-2021, 08:09 PM

Yup. Pushing more books when others languish.

The kicker in that email, for me, was the promise of a signed Richard Chizmar book available only thru the collector's club. :pullhair:

ajw2910
09-09-2021, 02:11 AM

They don't fill the backlogs because they can't afford to fill the backlogs because they are using the money from new pre-orders to pay for production of older books that are already sold.

I’ve been waiting over 15 years for Best of CD 2. This should be one hell of a book if it took that many preorders to pay for it!!

St. Troy
09-09-2021, 05:36 AM

I suppose it's impossible (for us outside the company) to truly know this, but A) it fits the evidence, and B) it would be mighty troubling.

Cook
09-09-2021, 05:56 AM
I'm curious to know how other authors see the Cemetery Dance business model.
Curious to read their perspective on the matter.

I mean Wow, Jeff Vandermeer's statements shared by jeffingoff pretty much sum it up.

There’s a fire burning on Facebook tonight. Jeff Vandermeer spilled some serious tea. Flammable tea. I think Richard needs to address this one.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210908/b645579c4552896657ed73de2cccc10b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210908/2adae8ffe2c542c670b6188305de0b97.jpg

craigobau
09-09-2021, 06:02 AM
Hey Brian, are we getting close to a public announcement for sale of the Doubleday Years release of The Stand?

Thanks.

Kingfan24
09-09-2021, 06:29 AM

There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind this is what is going on at CD.

St. Troy
09-09-2021, 06:37 AM
But, why justify bad business behavior?
Three response statements posted here sort of highlight my discomfort with the new CD norm

“I was aware or their history”
“I’ll someday get them”
“Upset this time round”

Why is this the acceptable norm with CD?
Over promise, under deliver?

I've accepted that delays were implicit in CD's "pay now, receive later" model; I don't know if that is "bad" business (acting in bad faith) or just "poor" business (failing to execute an honest, if not fast, plan). [The answer likely is more obvious to those of you who regularly buy from specialty presses (I rarely do).]

But some delays have greatly exceeded what even the most patient and passive among us might have built into their expectations, raising the question: is this incompetence, bad faith, or incredibly bad luck?

I really hope CD is heeding the wakeup call of Jeff VanderMeer's comments - when this many customers (and at least one author) are this upset, there must be change.

St. Troy
09-09-2021, 06:41 AM
Lucky for CD that King still likes them (as far as we know).

I know King has some kind of relationship with Chizmar, but I don't know if that protects CD against losing King's business, or if their relationship would suffer because of the business.

Brian James Freeman
09-09-2021, 07:03 AM
Hey Brian, are we getting close to a public announcement for sale of the Doubleday Years release of The Stand?

Thanks.

Not yet. The plan is to have the book rolling at the printer before that public announcement because the printer is taking a lot longer on these big projects, and the case maker is now scheduling 14 to 16 weeks out. I know lots of people have already reserved their copy, so this "wait to announce" plan doesn't cut down on any of the actual wait for them, but as we've mentioned before, the overall goal is to get projects a lot closer to the printer or at the printer before announcing them. (The Doubleday Years books, and the bundle preorder offers, were offered before this "policy" change was made.)

To give everyone an idea of the current time frames with the printers, we delivered the files for STRANGE WEATHER in March and the books were completed in August. We delivered the files for the THE SOUTHERN REACH TRILOGY is May and the estimated finished date is currently October 6. That'll probably slide about two weeks based on past experience. And because our new printer isn't comfortable with making dummy books by hand, the slipcases cannot be started until we have finished books. We could use the estimated bulk sizing and hope for the best, but the results are often... mixed. If there's one thing we're proud of, it's that people are usually VERY happy with the finished product they receive, even if it's embarrassingly late.

And since I know some of you would like independent verification of this industry-wide printer issue, here is another publisher who is reporting similar issues with his printer:

https://grimoakpress.com/blogs/news/update-the-systemic-printing-binding-delays

Brian

Kingfan24
09-09-2021, 07:36 AM

Thanks.

Not yet. The plan is to have the book rolling at the printer before that public announcement because the printer is taking a lot longer on these big projects, and the case maker is now scheduling 14 to 16 weeks out. I know lots of people have already reserved their copy, so this "wait to announce" plan doesn't cut down on any of the actual wait for them, but as we've mentioned before, the overall goal is to get projects a lot closer to the printer or at the printer before announcing them. (The Doubleday Years books, and the bundle preorder offers, were offered before this "policy" change was made.)

To give everyone an idea of the current time frames with the printers, we delivered the files for STRANGE WEATHER in March and the books were completed in August. We delivered the files for the THE SOUTHERN REACH TRILOGY is May and the estimated finished date is currently October 6. That'll probably slide about two weeks based on past experience. And because our new printer isn't comfortable with making dummy books by hand, the slipcases cannot be started until we have finished books. We could use the estimated bulk sizing and hope for the best, but the results are often... mixed. If there's one thing we're proud of, it's that people are usually VERY happy with the finished product they receive, even if it's embarrassingly late.

And since I know some of you would like independent verification of this industry-wide printer issue, here is another publisher who is reporting similar issues with his printer:

Brian

I always appreciate your responses here Brian.

One thing that doesn’t work for me here is that you mention when you sent the files to the printer vs. when they are physically printed. Strange weather was offered for sale 4 years ago. Why are files just now getting to the printer? There HAS to be a better way to offer these books for sale instead of taking interest free loans from everyone.

Brian James Freeman
09-09-2021, 07:49 AM
One thing that doesn’t work for me here is that you mention when you sent the files to the printer vs. when they are physically printed. Strange weather was offered for sale 4 years ago. Why are files just now getting to the printer? There HAS to be a better way to offer these books for sale instead of taking interest free loans from everyone.

If we were handling the announcements the same way then as we are now, the book wouldn't have been announced until March or so of this year. That would have been pretty nice, eh?

The delay on STRANGE WEATHER was a signature sheet problem (artist had the sheets but no time to sign), and by the time it was resolved, we were deep in the SLEEPING BEAUTIES printer mess, which also took a long time to resolve.

If current policies had been in place, it wouldn't have been a big deal. But they weren't, and the goal right now is to finish the project well.

(On the plus side, if you want to look for a plus side, we took advantage of the delay and commissioned unannounced interior artwork for all four volumes of STRANGE WEATHER as a little bonus for the collectors to say "thank you" for waiting so long.)

Brian

craigobau
09-09-2021, 08:06 AM

Thanks.

Brian

Thanks Brian! Much appreciated.

Joe315
09-09-2021, 08:57 AM
How does someone not have time to sign signature sheets. I imagine they sit in front of the tv for a little bit everyday. Knock out a chunk a night.

St. Troy
09-09-2021, 09:01 AM
If we were handling the announcements the same way then as we are now, the book wouldn't have been announced until March or so of this year...If current policies had been in place, it wouldn't have been a big deal.

The policy change is a clear step forward and an important indicator of where CD's thinking is; I just hope the time it takes to publish the titles predating it isn't too painful (although it is right now).

St. Troy
09-09-2021, 09:03 AM
How does someone not have time to sign signature sheets. I imagine they sit in front of the tv for a little bit everyday. Knock out a chunk a night.

That part of VanderMeer's comment caught my eye as well. Not that it excuses anything CD might've done wrong, but Jesus, dude - yank your thumb out and get going.

Joe315
09-09-2021, 09:21 AM

That part of VanderMeer's comment caught my eye as well. Not that it excuses anything CD might've done wrong, but Jesus, dude - yank your thumb out and get going.

Del Toro was an issue too if I recall. And an unnamed author on the shock lines new voices of horror book. Which probably needs a new title at this point.

St. Troy
09-09-2021, 09:39 AM
How does someone not have time to sign signature sheets.

Del Toro was an issue too if I recall...

Yes; I'm pretty sure I heard Del Toro was/is the jello they could never nail to the wall.

Brian James Freeman
09-09-2021, 10:09 AM
A lot of authors and artists are rock stars about knocking out the signature sheets right away. Some are not. Having signed a lot of sheets, I do get it. Signing sheets can SUCK.

My personal preference is, if someone needs a little more time to sign NICE, take that time instead of just slapping some scribbles on the page. But for some people, that scribble is how they sign, so it is what it is. My signature isn't pretty, I know that, so I'm not one to criticize. But I am always thrilled when someone has a great signature and a good turnaround time. :rock:

Some random stories about signature sheets, with no names attached.

One signer, after getting tired of me following up, had his business manager come over to his house and slide the pages in front of him one at a time so he would be forced to get them done.

There was a set of sheets for an anthology that had been signed by nearly 25 authors (over a period of two years) when the box vanished in the USPS system on the way to the last person.

There was one that was a total screw up on my part. I kept contacting the agent who had negotiated the deal, trying to make arrangements for the author to sign because I had thought the agent was the author's agent... After six months of radio silence, I find out via another publisher that the agent isn't the author's agent at all, but was representing the trade publisher (something I had never encountered before, usually there's just a rights person at the pub you deal with), and was just ignoring the requests. Once I was in touch with the right person, the author signed in two weeks.

The one that has always killed me a little inside... There was an author who had sheets for two years. We followed up, and followed up, and followed up... and one day they arrived back, unsigned, with a note from the author's sister. She was cleaning up his place while he was in a mental health facility, and she didn't think he'd be up to signing them anytime soon.

Brian

Lookwhoitis
09-09-2021, 11:08 AM

That is the definition of a Ponzi scheme :panic:

Lookwhoitis
09-09-2021, 11:15 AM
I love CD, though.

an Ebay purchased Full Dark No Stars is what got me into the Collectible book game.

and Brian (and Mindy) has helped me out with issues/orders a LOT of times. I'm sad to see CD going though such chaotic PR when the issues seem to obviously come from the top down.

Joe315
09-09-2021, 12:20 PM
A lot of authors and artists are rock stars about knocking out the signature sheets right away. Some are not. Having signed a lot of sheets, I do get it. Signing sheets can SUCK.

My personal preference is, if someone needs a little more time to sign NICE, take that time instead of just slapping some scribbles on the page….

Theres a difference between needing more time and taking 3 years because you have “no time”. They should have just said no to signing if they didn’t want to do it. And having your manager keep putting the sheets in front of you to sign them? I get that it’s a chore but come on, you’re signing your name to 1000 sheets at the most. Grab a stack and put on an episode of your favorite show.

The sheets with 10-15-20 people I get. Coordinating the signings and the bouncing around the sheets in the mail takes time. Especially when the usps loses them.

Oh, and that agent couldn’t direct you to the right person? What an ass.

St. Troy
09-09-2021, 12:21 PM
Some random stories about signature sheets, with no names attached...

Thanks; these are entertaining.

One signer, after getting tired of me following up, had his business manager come over to his house and slide the pages in front of him one at a time so he would be forced to get them done.

I love that, despite the author's awareness that he needed his own manager to prod him into signing, he was tired of you.

There was a set of sheets for an anthology that had been signed by nearly 25 authors (over a period of two years) when the box vanished in the USPS system on the way to the last person.

I think in cases like this I'd want to hire a guy to go on the road, like a courier on retainer, and just full-time live with the sheets (it wouldn't be cheap, but it would get done).

Merlin1958
09-09-2021, 12:47 PM
I haven't weighed in here in awhile and just want to say that it is a real shame to see all this discontent with, CD AGAIN after, Brian worked so hard and successfully rebuild their reputation some years ago. The same goes to, Mindy who is also wonderful to deal with. I know from intimate contact what a monumental job, Brian had ahead of him back then and he was a success for the large part. I can only surmise that his hands are tied by ownership and CD has begun to slide into old habits once again.

It's a damn shame as so many good people are working so hard to produce top quality editions and are being handicapped by senior management. My hat goes off to you, Brian and your staff. You don't deserve the negative responses which seem to have landed in your lap.

Brian James Freeman
09-09-2021, 12:52 PM
I think in cases like this I'd want to hire a guy to go on the road, like a courier on retainer, and just full-time live with the sheets (it wouldn't be cheap, but it would get done).

There was one project where we really did discuss if it be easier to just have someone fly out to LA for the weekend with the sheets, get the author to sign in-between his other obligations and adventures, and then fly back once they were done.

Brian

richardsrarebooks
09-09-2021, 03:14 PM
Brian - Will you be crediting the CDCC 11 accounts $10 for the last month of our membership? Thanks!

Brian James Freeman
09-09-2021, 04:25 PM
Brian - Will you be crediting the CDCC 11 accounts $10 for the last month of our membership? Thanks!

Yep, I’ll do that tonight! I usually try to knock it out in the first day or two, but I must have accidentally cleared my reminder. Thanks for the heads up!

Brian

GenericEric
09-09-2021, 04:54 PM
Tabitha King's Caretakers has had the same status update for at least a year now.

Caretakers by Tabitha King:
This book is completely designed, proofread, and ready for the printer as soon as the author has time to sign the signature sheets.

Does she have the signature sheets and she's just not signing them? I don't get it. Even if you sign only a few per day it could've been done a long time ago.

Brian James Freeman
09-09-2021, 06:51 PM

It should be on your account now. :)

Brian

frik
09-09-2021, 09:16 PM
I haven't weighed in here in awhile and just want to say that it is a real shame to see all this discontent with, CD AGAIN after, Brian worked so hard and successfully rebuild their reputation some years ago. The same goes to, Mindy who is also wonderful to deal with. I know from intimate contact what a monumental job, Brian had ahead of him back then and he was a success for the large part. I can only surmise that his hands are tied by ownership and CD has begun to slide into old habits once again.

It's a damn shame as so many good people are working so hard to produce top quality editions and are being handicapped by senior management. My hat goes off to you, Brian and your staff. You don't deserve the negative responses which seem to have landed in your lap.

Hear, hear!

sk

Cook
09-10-2021, 03:18 AM
When was this time-frame you're referring to?
(the successful rebuilding time-frame)
Thanks

Ben Mears
09-10-2021, 05:50 AM

Fold the CD team into Lividian and move on. With control of the entire process quality products will be consistently delivered on time.

playdohman
09-10-2021, 11:22 AM
Hi Brian & Dan,

When will The Night Country ship?

What is the status of the Flight or Fright lettered? The production page update is old where the lettered is concerned.

Thank you

Brian James Freeman
09-10-2021, 11:33 AM
Hi Brian & Dan,

What is the status of the Flight or Fright lettered? The production page update is old where the lettered is concerned.

Thank you

Dan will have to fill you in on the shipping schedule, but I can help with Flight or Fright.

SK is supposed to be signing the Flight or Fright Lettered Edition sheets when he signs the sheets for another project, which will be before the end of the year. We had to wait until he was done with his Billy Summers promo obligations for his schedule to shake out a bit.

Brian

surly
09-11-2021, 09:43 AM
SK is supposed to be signing the Flight or Fright Lettered Edition sheets when he signs the sheets for another project, which will be before the end of the year. We had to wait until he was done with his Billy Summers promo obligations for his schedule to shake out a bit.

Brian

wait. i cant be the only one to wonder what the other project is...

JohnSmith
09-11-2021, 10:27 AM
It might be the third Gwendy signed/numbered book.

playdohman
09-11-2021, 10:34 AM
Seems to early for Gwendy’s Task so maybe a PS Publishing lettered?

Brian James Freeman
09-11-2021, 05:27 PM

It figures that Johnny Smith would know that... :thumbsup:

Roseannebarr
09-13-2021, 08:16 AM

Back in April, King was signing for Gwendy's :) I am going to start a rumour and say there is a new project he is signing for CD!!!!!!

webstar1000
09-13-2021, 08:27 AM

Back in April, King was signing for Gwendy's :) I am going to start a rumour and say there is a new project he is signing for CD!!!!!!

Finally getting him to do the Pet Semetary sheets for the last Doubleday so ties the set together:)

DanHocker
09-14-2021, 08:10 AM
Hi Brian & Dan,

Thank you

Soonish I think on Night Country. We're finally through the long slog that was If It Bleeds Slipcases followed by Billy Summers. We're powering through some smaller less time consuming shipping projects right now, Night Country is one of those on the list. Based off of what I want to get shipped before we tackle that one, we'll probably be shipping that next week.

bdwyer19
09-17-2021, 02:06 PM
On FB this morning, Richard Chizmar had a post saying that you could win a signed copy of one of his books. Just email him for details. For kicks, I did. So, go figure, in the email I got back, all I have to do is email a receipt of his latest novel and I’d get a signed copy of something else.

How did I not see that coming?!?

Cook
09-18-2021, 06:35 AM
Wow.. what a piece of work.
Just out of curiosity, did that include free shipping (anyone want to take odds on this one)
... I'm going to guess no :sidegrin:

On FB this morning, Richard Chizmar had a post saying that you could win a signed copy of one of his books. Just email him for details. For kicks, I did. So, go figure, in the email I got back, all I have to do is email a receipt of his latest novel and I’d get a signed copy of something else.

Brian861
09-18-2021, 08:36 AM

There also seemed like a lot of hoops to jump through for the Boogeyman promotion/contest as well. I hope someone ended up with some good prizes. I prefer the K.I.S.S. method when it comes to things like this.

Roseannebarr
09-24-2021, 07:30 AM
BRIAN!!!!!!! Whose idea was it to post pictures on the production update page? Simply brilliant! Alot of updates posted on the CD site, Including a verify email address on the Best of Cemetary Dance 2!!!!!!! The Stand update, Strange Weather, LETTERED NIGHT SHIFT!!!!!

At the time the doubleday books started I could not affort the lettered copies, please sell me your copies. :) Night Shift LOOKS amazing. The Shining is my favorite book! And of course I would love a copy of the STAND.

WELL DONE ON PRODUCTION UPDATE PAGE!!! WELL DONE!!

Brian James Freeman
09-24-2021, 07:46 AM
Thank you! More photos and updates to come in October. :)

Brian

CyberGhostface
09-24-2021, 03:45 PM
Happy to hear Strange Weather will have interior art and not just illustrated covers. Looking forward to it.

CyberGhostface
09-24-2021, 03:52 PM

There also seemed like a lot of hoops to jump through for the Boogeyman promotion/contest as well. I hope someone ended up with some good prizes. I prefer the K.I.S.S. method when it comes to things like this.

I guess they'd be eating money by doing it all the time but I liked the approach for "buy the book on Amazon and we will send you the equivalent cost in CD credit". It helps their Amazon sales and you get a "free" book in the process. I ended up doing it for the second Gwendy book and Boogeyman.

Brian James Freeman
09-24-2021, 03:58 PM
Happy to hear Strange Weather will have interior art and not just illustrated covers. Looking forward to it.

Me, too. I was glad that addition got approved.

Brian

St. Troy
09-25-2021, 11:23 AM
BRIAN!!!!!!! Whose idea was it to post pictures on the production update page? Simply brilliant!

Agreed; this is nice.

daniel_pyle
10-06-2021, 09:59 AM
Does anyone have any info on this:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_5067.png

It doesn't have a limitation page, but I can't find anything about any other hardcover editions. Was there an unsigned HC release?

Tony Two-Cent
10-06-2021, 10:03 AM
From the product page for this issue on the CD website:

"Signed hardcover Limited Edition limited to only 100 numbered copies signed by several of the contributors. ($75 + shipping)"

https://www.cemeterydance.com/grave-tales-6-hill-morrish-garton.html

I think all of the hardcovers were signed, unless there were some unsigned PC copies.

daniel_pyle
10-06-2021, 10:13 AM
Yeah, that’s all I was able to find, but this one doesn’t have a signature page, signed or otherwise. I wondered if maybe it had been ripped out, but after looking closely at the gutters, that doesn’t seem to be the case either.

Brian James Freeman
10-06-2021, 10:21 AM
Yeah, that’s all I was able to find, but this one doesn’t have a signature page, signed or otherwise. I wondered if maybe it had been ripped out, but after looking closely at the gutters, that doesn’t seem to be the case either.

I'm guessing it was a "no tip" that never had a signature sheet. Dan just took this pic for easy reference to show what would normally be in there if it had a sig sheet:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/GTsig.jpg

Brian

Tony Two-Cent
10-06-2021, 10:22 AM

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, that's odd.

daniel_pyle
10-06-2021, 10:32 AM

I'm guessing it was a "no tip" that never had a signature sheet. Dan just took this pic for easy reference to show what would normally be in there if it had a sig sheet:

Brian

Thanks, Brian. That must be it! I got it for $13, so I figured it was a cool find no matter what, but I was just curious what was going on. Are the no-tips made as some kind of mock-up or something?

Brian James Freeman
10-06-2021, 10:57 AM

Brian

Thanks, Brian. That must be it! I got it for $13, so I figured it was a cool find no matter what, but I was just curious what was going on. Are the no-tips made as some kind of mock-up or something?

They're the extra books at the end of the run, basically. Sometimes the printer runs out of signature sheets because of damage with the sheets or some other problem during the printing process. We use these "no tips" copies as sample books, and we send them to any reviewers who are late to the show after the review copies are gone, and they also go in Grab Bags.

Brian

Roseannebarr
10-06-2021, 09:58 PM
My friend would like to know if the signed Gwendy books have tipped in signature pages or bound in at time of publication. Thank you!

jsweet
10-07-2021, 04:45 AM

Brian

They're the extra books at the end of the run, basically. Sometimes the printer runs out of signature sheets because of damage with the sheets or some other problem during the printing process. We use these "no tips" copies as sample books, and we send them to any reviewers who are late to the show after the review copies are gone, and they also go in Grab Bags.

Brian

Yeah. I have one of these that I got in a grab bag (last year, I think)

DanHocker
10-07-2021, 05:58 AM
My friend would like to know if the signed Gwendy books have tipped in signature pages or bound in at time of publication. Thank you!

Which signed Gwendy books are you referring to?

daniel_pyle
10-07-2021, 08:30 AM

Brian

Brian

Good to know. Thanks for the quick answer. And thanks to Dan for the picture. You guys are the best!

Roseannebarr
10-07-2021, 06:35 PM

Signed limited. With king and Chizmar sigs. He was curious if sig pages tipped in or done at printers. Thanks!

DanHocker
10-12-2021, 06:21 AM

Signed limited. With king and Chizmar sigs. He was curious if sig pages tipped in or done at printers. Thanks!

Tipped in but by the printer. All of our sig sheets (at least all the ones that I can think of) are tipped in that way.