PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89

JGeis
02-23-2021, 07:47 PM
Thanks!

Brian James Freeman
02-24-2021, 08:26 AM
I’ve heard some people say that they already placed orders for CD’s edition of The Stand at some point in the past. Will there be further opportunities to order Artist or Gift editions or is it completely sold out?

They are not sold out. The public announcement and sale is down the road a bit, though.

Brian

JGeis
02-24-2021, 08:30 AM
Thank You!

Brian James Freeman
02-24-2021, 11:56 AM
If you've ever wondered what THE STAND printed out single-sided on copy paper might look like, here you go...

https://www.cemeterydance.com/images/thestandstack.jpg

Brian

Br!an
02-24-2021, 03:34 PM
That reminds me of something. :orely: Perhaps a tower.

Ricky
02-24-2021, 03:48 PM
Was going through some old Word documents the other night and came across an interview/article I did with Brian way back in 2014. I don't think I've ever posted it here (it was part of my college internship assignments interviewing writers, and Brian was gracious enough to oblige) but thought I would in case anyone was interested. :)

For most people, the objects of nightmares—death, ghosts, serial killers, the great unknown, dank basements where the light always seems to flicker—are things to be feared, things to stay clear of at all costs. But that is not the case for everybody. For Brian James Freeman, these nightmarish subjects are the acquaintances that he spends his days (and, yes, nights) with. After all, how else would he manage to write stories that keep readers up at night without spending some time with the subjects himself?

Since 1994, Brian James Freeman’s short fiction has appeared in a variety of magazines and anthologies, but, since 2010, with the overwhelming success of his novella, The Painted Darkness, Freeman’s stories are being eaten up by rabid audiences seemingly faster than he can write them. In fact, 2013 and 2014 will see the release of not one, but four short story collections in addition to the republication of his first novel, Black Fire, in 2014 by Cemetery Dance Publications.

Freeman sold his first short story when he was fourteen, but the spark has been present long before then. “The first ‘book’ I wrote was in library class in elementary school,” he says. “The librarian gave each student a College Blue Book used for essay tests, and we had to write a story using all of the pages. We could illustrate it, too, which I did very poorly. I have no skills when it comes to drawing, but my story was about a futuristic Air Force fighting time traveling dinosaurs.”

Although most of his teachers over the years in elementary and high school were encouraging in regard to such creativity, he says, “there was the occasional strange reaction to my writing from time to time (‘I don't get what you did here, but you did a very nice job!’ was probably the favorite note I received on a paper in school), and not everyone was pleased with my writing.” In fact, Freeman was inexplicably dropped from an Honors English class in high school. “The exact reason was never officially confirmed, but the hints I was given suggested that my writing wasn't ‘literary’ enough for the teacher. Too much of that ‘commercial influence’ for me to be taken seriously. Of course, I didn't want to be taken seriously. I just wanted to have fun and tell the best stories I could.”

With his past and recent successes, that ‘commercial influence’ may not have been such a bad thing after all. And with The Painted Darkness, it’s obvious he hasn’t left behind that childhood creativity either. Endorsed by Publishers Weekly as a “fast-paced, satisfying horror…that builds tension and evokes emotional response,” The Painted Darkness’ level of both horror and emotion is due in part to Freeman’s deft utilization of psychological elements. In one instance the reader finds the novella’s main character, Henry, home alone when unsettling noises begin to emerge from the basement. Is there really something in the basement, something equally terrifying and unexplainable, or is Henry losing his mind, plagued by the terror and grief of a childhood trauma? The way that Henry questions—and Freeman makes the reader question—his sanity is one of the enticing aspects that the story has to offer. What is it about this area, then, that is so intriguing to Freeman as a writer? “The way people react to situations based on their past and the way those situations affect who they become in the future has always been interesting to me,” he says. Of course, a number of his other works feature psychological elements as well. In order to convey the dread, tension, and horror that his stories often features, Freeman taps into his reading audience’s fears, believing that there are fears that people naturally share communally, citing the death of a loved one, a loss of control, or being powerless when faced with the unknown, as a few examples.

Though he has had—and continues to have—success with a writing career, Freeman’s involvement in literature doesn’t end at writing; rather, that’s only the beginning. As well as writing fiction, he is also on the production end as the managing editor of Cemetery Dance magazine, a specialty press publisher of horror and dark suspense located in Forest Hill, Maryland. Before joining Cemetery Dance in 2002, Freeman worked as a freelance online publicist throughout high school and college. Now involved in aspects of book production from editing to design to distribution, the experience has enabled Freeman to work with literary heavyweights ranging from Stephen King to William Peter Blatty, and other acclaimed authors.

Although working at Cemetery Dance has left him unable to spend as much time as he’d like on writing, he doesn’t berate himself for it. “I'm too busy with my day job right now to lash myself if I don't get any writing done,” he says. “I make time on the weekends when I can to plug away at a new story.”

However vast his experiences in writing may be, editing continues to increase his knowledge and insight into what actually goes on in producing a publication including making him “acutely aware of how often certain ideas and themes pop up in submissions.” Freeman continues to notice this “not just after a theme anthology sends all of their rejection letters (the week after a ‘zombies in space’ anthology closes, we inevitably receive 50 to 100 submissions with that concept), but just in general. Obviously, there are only so many different ideas out there, which makes it a truly exciting event when you receive a story that really does something different from what you’ve read before.”

While Freeman and the team at Cemetery Dance are always looking forward to those gems, the process of sorting through submissions to find them can be frustrating. “90% of the submissions recycle ideas and concepts from other works in an unoriginal way and those are the first to go,” he says. “There are many well-written submissions that simply don't make it past our jaded first readers who have read every type of horror story thousands of times. If they see where the story is going on the first page, they get bored—and so would our readers.” Readers shouldn’t be discouraged from submitting, though. After all, “that doesn't mean the standard tropes don't have a place because there are some that we love when they're well executed, even if the idea is as old as time itself. If a story does something we've never seen before (in a good way), we can always find a place for it.”

Having spent time as both submitter and selector of stories for publication, Freeman is in a unique position to offer advice to fellow writers. For those still trying to break into the publishing world, he advises: “write as often as you can, edit your work the best you can, and then get someone else who knows more than you do to edit your work until it's as good as it can be. Also, don't take a break while you wait to hear back from editors and agents and publishers when you submit something,” he says. “Just start the next project.” For someone who has yet to be published, it sounds simple. But Freeman is proof that successes can happen with the right mixture of talent, ambition, and determination.

Although his day job keeps him occupied, Freeman (and his literary output), it seems, has anything but slowed. “I've been plugging away at mini-collections of my short fiction,” he says of his current writing endeavors. “The first one, More Than Midnight, was published earlier this year. Weak and Wounded will be out in November. The other two, Dreamlike States and Lost and Lonely, will be published next year.”

As if that’s not enough, he tells me “I have a new novel in the works and I'm also editing a series of anthologies for Random House,” he says, “but that's all too far off in the distance to discuss. It's bad luck to talk too much about a project when it's too far from the finish line.” It certainly seems that this finish line is just one of many more to come.

Lookwhoitis
02-24-2021, 03:56 PM
If you've ever wondered what THE STAND printed out single-sided on copy paper might look like, here you go...

https://www.cemeterydance.com/images/thestandstack.jpg

Brian

that is AWESOME!

St. Troy
02-24-2021, 05:18 PM
...The public announcement and sale is down the road a bit, though.

Brian

Even given that Night Shift is now out in the wild?

Brian James Freeman
02-24-2021, 07:31 PM
...The public announcement and sale is down the road a bit, though.

Brian

Even given that Night Shift is now out in the wild?

Yeah, I'd like to at least wait until the last artist is done signing the signature sheets. I rarely get my way, but my personal preference is to have all of the materials in hand before the official announcement. (This one is weird, of course, since everyone knows it's coming and there have been some opportunities to purchase it ahead of the announcement...!)

Brian

Brian James Freeman
02-24-2021, 07:33 PM
Freeman sold his first short story when he was fourteen, but the spark has been present long before then. “The first ‘book’ I wrote was in library class in elementary school,” he says. “The librarian gave each student a College Blue Book used for essay tests, and we had to write a story using all of the pages. We could illustrate it, too, which I did very poorly. I have no skills when it comes to drawing, but my story was about a futuristic Air Force fighting time traveling dinosaurs.”

I wonder if there's still time to revisit this one... :emot-roflolmao:

Brian

St. Troy
02-25-2021, 09:11 AM
...my story was about a futuristic Air Force fighting time traveling dinosaurs.”

Could be kind of a Pacific Rim-type of thing.

Merlin1958
02-25-2021, 02:16 PM
"Time traveling dinosaurs"!!! I love it!!! lol Mostly, Raptors yes? lol

Brian James Freeman
02-25-2021, 02:47 PM

I wish I could find that thing in all of the school stuff my mom kept for me. I'm sure it would be a hoot to read.

MLG
02-25-2021, 05:36 PM

I wish I could find that thing in all of the school stuff my mom kept for me. I'm sure it would be a hoot to read.

Please find it. It would make a great Patreon Chap Book. Including the illustrations of course!

Dolan
02-25-2021, 08:08 PM
I’ve heard some people say that they already placed orders for CD’s edition of The Stand at some point in the past. Will there be further opportunities to order Artist or Gift editions or is it completely sold out?

They are not sold out. The public announcement and sale is down the road a bit, though.

Brian

Good to hear. I bought the Artist #'ed set and I thought - well, I won't need the gift editions. Then, Patrick offered to sell me a few of the past gift editions, I passed *AGAIN* and now, of course, I fully regret it ALL.

So if there's another open sale of The Stand gift, count me in! ha

But I would imagine that's going to be insanely hot of an item.

Ricky
02-26-2021, 06:19 PM

Please find it. It would make a great Patreon Chap Book. Including the illustrations of course!

I'll volunteer to write the forward. :lol:

Joe315
02-26-2021, 09:52 PM
Is there lettered COM even out yet? How does this person have an unlettered traycase-less copy https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-City-of-Mirrors-Justin-Cronin-OVERSIZED-HC-LETTERED-STATE-NO-TRAYCASE-/324500295948?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Brian James Freeman
02-26-2021, 10:06 PM
Is there lettered COM even out yet? How does this person have an unlettered traycase-less copy https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-City-of-Mirrors-Justin-Cronin-OVERSIZED-HC-LETTERED-STATE-NO-TRAYCASE-/324500295948?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Weird! I will ping the rest of the staff when they are awake, and report back!

Roseannebarr
02-26-2021, 11:34 PM
Was going through some old Word documents the other night and came across an interview/article I did with Brian way back in 2014. I don't think I've ever posted it here (it was part of my college internship assignments interviewing writers, and Brian was gracious enough to oblige) but thought I would in case anyone was interested. :)

For most people, the objects of nightmares—death, ghosts, serial killers, the great unknown, dank basements where the light always seems to flicker—are things to be feared, things to stay clear of at all costs. But that is not the case for everybody. For Brian James Freeman, these nightmarish subjects are the acquaintances that he spends his days (and, yes, nights) with. After all, how else would he manage to write stories that keep readers up at night without spending some time with the subjects himself?

Since 1994, Brian James Freeman’s short fiction has appeared in a variety of magazines and anthologies, but, since 2010, with the overwhelming success of his novella, The Painted Darkness, Freeman’s stories are being eaten up by rabid audiences seemingly faster than he can write them. In fact, 2013 and 2014 will see the release of not one, but four short story collections in addition to the republication of his first novel, Black Fire, in 2014 by Cemetery Dance Publications.

Although most of his teachers over the years in elementary and high school were encouraging in regard to such creativity, he says, “there was the occasional strange reaction to my writing from time to time (‘I don't get what you did here, but you did a very nice job!’ was probably the favorite note I received on a paper in school), and not everyone was pleased with my writing.” In fact, Freeman was inexplicably dropped from an Honors English class in high school. “The exact reason was never officially confirmed, but the hints I was given suggested that my writing wasn't ‘literary’ enough for the teacher. Too much of that ‘commercial influence’ for me to be taken seriously. Of course, I didn't want to be taken seriously. I just wanted to have fun and tell the best stories I could.”

With his past and recent successes, that ‘commercial influence’ may not have been such a bad thing after all. And with The Painted Darkness, it’s obvious he hasn’t left behind that childhood creativity either. Endorsed by Publishers Weekly as a “fast-paced, satisfying horror…that builds tension and evokes emotional response,” The Painted Darkness’ level of both horror and emotion is due in part to Freeman’s deft utilization of psychological elements. In one instance the reader finds the novella’s main character, Henry, home alone when unsettling noises begin to emerge from the basement. Is there really something in the basement, something equally terrifying and unexplainable, or is Henry losing his mind, plagued by the terror and grief of a childhood trauma? The way that Henry questions—and Freeman makes the reader question—his sanity is one of the enticing aspects that the story has to offer. What is it about this area, then, that is so intriguing to Freeman as a writer? “The way people react to situations based on their past and the way those situations affect who they become in the future has always been interesting to me,” he says. Of course, a number of his other works feature psychological elements as well. In order to convey the dread, tension, and horror that his stories often features, Freeman taps into his reading audience’s fears, believing that there are fears that people naturally share communally, citing the death of a loved one, a loss of control, or being powerless when faced with the unknown, as a few examples.

Though he has had—and continues to have—success with a writing career, Freeman’s involvement in literature doesn’t end at writing; rather, that’s only the beginning. As well as writing fiction, he is also on the production end as the managing editor of Cemetery Dance magazine, a specialty press publisher of horror and dark suspense located in Forest Hill, Maryland. Before joining Cemetery Dance in 2002, Freeman worked as a freelance online publicist throughout high school and college. Now involved in aspects of book production from editing to design to distribution, the experience has enabled Freeman to work with literary heavyweights ranging from Stephen King to William Peter Blatty, and other acclaimed authors.

Although working at Cemetery Dance has left him unable to spend as much time as he’d like on writing, he doesn’t berate himself for it. “I'm too busy with my day job right now to lash myself if I don't get any writing done,” he says. “I make time on the weekends when I can to plug away at a new story.”

However vast his experiences in writing may be, editing continues to increase his knowledge and insight into what actually goes on in producing a publication including making him “acutely aware of how often certain ideas and themes pop up in submissions.” Freeman continues to notice this “not just after a theme anthology sends all of their rejection letters (the week after a ‘zombies in space’ anthology closes, we inevitably receive 50 to 100 submissions with that concept), but just in general. Obviously, there are only so many different ideas out there, which makes it a truly exciting event when you receive a story that really does something different from what you’ve read before.”

While Freeman and the team at Cemetery Dance are always looking forward to those gems, the process of sorting through submissions to find them can be frustrating. “90% of the submissions recycle ideas and concepts from other works in an unoriginal way and those are the first to go,” he says. “There are many well-written submissions that simply don't make it past our jaded first readers who have read every type of horror story thousands of times. If they see where the story is going on the first page, they get bored—and so would our readers.” Readers shouldn’t be discouraged from submitting, though. After all, “that doesn't mean the standard tropes don't have a place because there are some that we love when they're well executed, even if the idea is as old as time itself. If a story does something we've never seen before (in a good way), we can always find a place for it.”

Having spent time as both submitter and selector of stories for publication, Freeman is in a unique position to offer advice to fellow writers. For those still trying to break into the publishing world, he advises: “write as often as you can, edit your work the best you can, and then get someone else who knows more than you do to edit your work until it's as good as it can be. Also, don't take a break while you wait to hear back from editors and agents and publishers when you submit something,” he says. “Just start the next project.” For someone who has yet to be published, it sounds simple. But Freeman is proof that successes can happen with the right mixture of talent, ambition, and determination.

Although his day job keeps him occupied, Freeman (and his literary output), it seems, has anything but slowed. “I've been plugging away at mini-collections of my short fiction,” he says of his current writing endeavors. “The first one, More Than Midnight, was published earlier this year. Weak and Wounded will be out in November. The other two, Dreamlike States and Lost and Lonely, will be published next year.”

As if that’s not enough, he tells me “I have a new novel in the works and I'm also editing a series of anthologies for Random House,” he says, “but that's all too far off in the distance to discuss. It's bad luck to talk too much about a project when it's too far from the finish line.” It certainly seems that this finish line is just one of many more to come.

Excellent Interview! Well done, thanks for posting. I loved the Painted Darkness. Did the "new novel" ever get finished? Curious!

Ricky
02-27-2021, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the kind words!

Fsmdr
02-27-2021, 08:52 AM
Brian,

When are we getting our lettered The City of Mirrors? It's been traycase in production for an entire year....

MLG
02-27-2021, 11:23 AM

Weird! I will ping the rest of the staff when they are awake, and report back!

The same seller has a couple of CD limited editions that I believe have not shipped yet.

Brian James Freeman
02-27-2021, 01:04 PM
Brian,

When are we getting our lettered The City of Mirrors? It's been traycase in production for an entire year....

If I recall correctly, it's in the shipping queue. Dan will have a better idea of when he'll reach it, though.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
02-27-2021, 01:07 PM
Excellent Interview! Well done, thanks for posting. I loved the Painted Darkness. Did the "new novel" ever get finished? Curious!

Finished but not published. Maybe one of these days!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
02-27-2021, 01:14 PM

Dan is going to have to check in the warehouse on Monday to see what he can figure out. Wasn't able to get to the bottom of this remotely.

Brian

Merlin1958
02-27-2021, 01:37 PM

I'll buy it!!! lol

Joe315
02-27-2021, 02:21 PM

Dan is going to have to check in the warehouse on Monday to see what he can figure out. Wasn't able to get to the bottom of this remotely.

Brian

Just wanted to bring it to your attention. Its a little weird that the seller is in Illinois. Thought maybe it walked out of the bindery.

jeffingoff
02-27-2021, 04:46 PM

Brian

Just wanted to bring it to your attention. Its a little weird that the seller is in Illinois. Thought maybe it walked out of the bindery.

I’m in Illinois. I’ll track down the culprit for a lettered edition of The Stand. Signed by King. And the coffin edition as well. And a numbered Misery. And a lettered Misery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GenericEric
02-27-2021, 06:17 PM

Brian

I don't know if it's the same copy or not, but someone on the CD facebook group said they got it directly from CD.

Brian James Freeman
02-27-2021, 07:38 PM

Yep, thank you!

I don't know if I was ever able to post the details of the last time that exact situation happened, but an employee at one of our old printers was taking boxes of books to a used bookstore in town. Someone spotted something of ours that we didn't even have in the warehouse yet, dropped us a line, and we contacted the printer. Within hours, I believe, they had figured out who it was, fired him, and contacted the local police to press charges. It was crazy.

Brian

playdohman
02-27-2021, 08:50 PM

Brian

I don't know if it's the same copy or not, but someone on the CD facebook group said they got it directly from CD.

I asked the seller if it was released without the traycase and also why the lettered imitation was blank.

The seller’s response: “Honestly it’s a one off from the publisher. The lettered was released at $500 face, so I have priced it appropriately. My a guess is that the publisher made sure they had enough to fulfill the lettered copies and so this was a left over/ emergency copy. That 100% normal actually almost all limited have 10-20% extra copies to cover misprints etc.”

Brian861
02-28-2021, 02:29 PM

This should be the next BJF children's book :)

George at C-Springs
02-28-2021, 02:42 PM
I asked the seller if it was released without the traycase and also why the lettered imitation was blank.

The seller’s response: “Honestly it’s a one off from the publisher. The lettered was released at $500 face, so I have priced it appropriately. My a guess is that the publisher made sure they had enough to fulfill the lettered copies and so this was a left over/ emergency copy. That 100% normal actually almost all limited have 10-20% extra copies to cover misprints etc.”

I'd say the bullshit flag is raised pretty high with "Honestly it's a one-off from the publisher." Somehow or another it was stolen; go get 'em Brian!!!

Ricky
02-28-2021, 04:03 PM

This should be the next BJF children's book :)

Donnie the Dinosaur

"The following tale is spoken in rhyme,
about a cute little dino who traveled through time.
The air force was scared, but Donnie couldn't help it,
he stumbled through the years when he fell in a tar pit."

dnemec
02-28-2021, 05:37 PM
Brian,

If I recall correctly, it's in the shipping queue. Dan will have a better idea of when he'll reach it, though.

Brian

Does the queue include the Lividian 20th Century Ghosts? Thought it was going to be here last week and it was my little Gold Greebles book.

Brian James Freeman
02-28-2021, 05:42 PM
Brian,

Brian

Does the queue include the Lividian 20th Century Ghosts? Thought it was going to be here last week and it was my little Gold Greebles book.

I believe those are shipping now!

Brian

dnemec
02-28-2021, 07:01 PM
Brian,

Brian

I believe those are shipping now!

Brian

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

Hunchback Jack
03-01-2021, 06:09 PM
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but is there an updated status for Ushers Passing? Is it still on track for Spring, and do you have an ETA for the Lettered edition?

Brian James Freeman
03-01-2021, 06:34 PM
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but is there an updated status for Ushers Passing? Is it still on track for Spring, and do you have an ETA for the Lettered edition?

Last update I received was May for the slipcases. I don't have an ETA yet on the traycases for the Lettered Edition, but I'll ask Mindy since she is the one who works with the traycase makers for the most part.

Brian

GenericEric
03-01-2021, 06:45 PM
On the subject of McCammon books, besides the Corbett series are there any plans to do limiteds of his other books that SubPress hasn't done yet? Which I guess would include Mystery Walk, Mine, and Gone South.

I know you can't say details even if you did know. Did McCammon sign a contract with CD for a specific number of books? Whatever info you can share would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hunchback Jack
03-01-2021, 06:47 PM

Last update I received was May for the slipcases. I don't have an ETA yet on the traycases for the Lettered Edition, but I'll ask Mindy since she is the one who works with the traycase makers for the most part.

Brian

Thanks, Brian. May sounds very promising; hopefully the numbered edition will find it’s way into the packing and shipping queue soon thereafter.

Brian James Freeman
03-01-2021, 06:48 PM
On the subject of McCammon books, besides the Corbett series are there any plans to do limiteds of his other books that SubPress hasn't done yet? Which I guess would include Mystery Walk, Mine, and Gone South.

I know you can't say details even if you did know. Did McCammon sign a contract with CD for a specific number of books? Whatever info you can share would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah, unfortunately any answers I could give right now would fall outside of what I’m allowed to say.

I do think you will see Limited Editions of those particular books in the next couple of years, though.

Brian

Garrell
03-02-2021, 10:05 AM
Brian, if there are any extras on Ushers Passing, I want one badly :rolleyes1:

Ari_Racing
03-02-2021, 10:15 AM

Yeah, unfortunately any answers I could give right now would fall outside of what I’m allowed to say.

I do think you will see Limited Editions of those particular books in the next couple of years, though.

Brian

Please convince Rick to write volumes 3 and 4 of I Travel by Night...and publish them with Whelan doing the illustrations. I LOVED the two books published so far!

Garrell
03-02-2021, 11:25 AM
Second to the above!!!

RichardX
03-02-2021, 04:57 PM
Second to the above!!!

I third that! Those are fun books. That's a story that needs to be completed. And then it would be nice to compile them into a single volume. And how about another Greystone Bay anthology? I know McCammon's stories were published as standalone books but would love to see a new anthology.

Merlin1958
03-02-2021, 05:12 PM
Okay, the Amazon "Reading copies" of "Later" arrived today. No pressure, Brian but whats the ETA for the CD slipcased first editions to arrive in our small towns? lol They will be 'First" editions, yes?

Brian James Freeman
03-02-2021, 06:37 PM
Okay, the Amazon "Reading copies" of "Later" arrived today. No pressure, Brian but whats the ETA for the CD slipcased first editions to arrive in our small towns? lol They will be 'First" editions, yes?

Our big shipment from the publisher shipped yesterday, so I'm hoping we have the books early next week. Slipcases are down the road because our slipcase maker is still way behind schedule. But books and slipcases ship separately, so anyone who ordered both won't be waiting for their book. The books will go out soon, and the slipcases will go out... later. :biggrin:

Brian

Merlin1958
03-02-2021, 06:52 PM

Our big shipment from the publisher shipped yesterday, so I'm hoping we have the books early next week. Slipcases are down the road because our slipcase maker is still way behind schedule. But books and slipcases ship separately, so anyone who ordered both won't be waiting for their book. The books will go out soon, and the slipcases will go out... later. :biggrin:

Brian

First Editions? Don't mean to be a PITA, but it has been a valid question in the past. Just want to know one way or the other. I already missed out on the HC edition and just want to cover all my bases. Thanks a lot, Brian. You're the man!!!!

Brian James Freeman
03-02-2021, 07:35 PM

Brian

First Editions? Don't mean to be a PITA, but it has been a valid question in the past. Just want to know one way or the other. I already missed out on the HC edition and just want to cover all my bases. Thanks a lot, Brian. You're the man!!!!

I won't know until the books arrive. My x-ray vision doesn't work from this far away. :panic:

Edited to add: I will ask Dan to check and report back when they arrive, though. :)

Brian

DanHocker
03-03-2021, 10:27 AM
I will try to remember to post as soon as I know. That said it's never been an issue with the hardcase tpbs before.

Joe315
03-03-2021, 11:32 AM
Any update on the City of Mirrors lettered that was on eBay?

amd013
03-03-2021, 12:22 PM
Any update on the City of Mirrors lettered that was on eBay?

I see the listing is ended because it is no longer available.

Randall Flagg
03-03-2021, 01:18 PM
Hardcase Crime TPB's typically do not come with numberlines. The CR page does however state: "First Hard Case Crime edition: March 2021"

Hunchback Jack
03-03-2021, 04:43 PM

Brian

Please convince Rick to write volumes 3 and 4 of I Travel by Night...and publish them with Whelan doing the illustrations. I LOVED the two books published so far!

I think he plans to write them, but he has to get Matthew Corbett out of trouble - or perhaps into more trouble - first.

HBJ

Stockerlone
03-06-2021, 01:49 AM
Widows Point - Richard Chizmar + Billy Chizmar
S/L 845/999 Cemetery Dance Germany #1

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Lohfeldt_Franz_UTD_Widows_Point_Unfall_042.JPG
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Lohfeldt_Franz_UTD_Widows_Point_Unfall_044.JPG

Was surprised to get the book for 8.- Euro inkl delivery.:dance:

Brian James Freeman
03-09-2021, 08:35 AM
LATER by Stephen King is shipping now. We have a TON of orders, but Dan and the warehouse team are working on them as fast as they can. Thanks for your patience!

Brian

lotuz
03-09-2021, 01:42 PM
Still waiting on the LP 20CG :cry:

Brian James Freeman
03-09-2021, 05:05 PM

Checking on this for you!

Brian

lotuz
03-09-2021, 07:29 PM

Brian

Have these shipped? I just assumed they got pushed back further in the CD shipping queue, not that there might have been an issue with my order...

In any event, thank you!

Brian James Freeman
03-09-2021, 07:42 PM

Brian

Have these shipped? I just assumed they got pushed back further in the CD shipping queue, not that there might have been an issue with my order...

In any event, thank you!

Last copies shipped today, and Mindy sent the shipping notices for the latest batch about an hour ago. If you didn’t receive one, go ahead and email her at order@cemeterydance.com and she will find out why!

Brian

Dolan
03-11-2021, 01:26 PM
Ladies and Gents -

I forgot that I didn't order the Strange Weather lettered edition from CD a few years ago. It's really my fav collection of Joe's and would love if anyone could let me know if there's a copy for sale pretty ppppppplease and thank you!

Brian James Freeman
03-11-2021, 01:34 PM
Ladies and Gents -

I forgot that I didn't order the Strange Weather lettered edition from CD a few years ago. It's really my fav collection of Joe's and would love if anyone could let me know if there's a copy for sale pretty ppppppplease and thank you!

If you email Mindy, I’m fairly sure she held back a copy or two, just to make sure we didn’t oversell. order@cemeterydance.com

Dolan
03-11-2021, 01:44 PM
Ladies and Gents -

If you email Mindy, I’m fairly sure she held back a copy or two, just to make sure we didn’t oversell. order@cemeterydance.com

Does CD pay you for being a saint as well as an angel?? Just sent one over. Thanks BJF!

Brian861
03-11-2021, 01:45 PM
Happy to see this puppy finally at the printer!

amd013
03-17-2021, 12:34 PM
Hi Brian,

Any idea on when the CDCC pint glasses will be shipping?

Patrick
03-19-2021, 08:11 AM
So... Illustrated CUJO? Any inside info?

Ari_Racing
03-19-2021, 08:33 AM
Ps publishing.

Probably an anniversary edition.

jeffingoff
03-19-2021, 08:37 AM

what the what now?

Dolan
03-19-2021, 08:45 AM

what the what now?

King just tweeted about it

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1372936523092537345

https://i.ibb.co/H738cNw/Ew2m-Wwy-WEAMej-Op.jpg

jeffingoff
03-19-2021, 08:52 AM

what the what now?

King just tweeted about it

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1372936523092537345

https://i.ibb.co/H738cNw/Ew2m-Wwy-WEAMej-Op.jpg

Yeah and I see it’s also mentioned/teased in the PS Newsletter.

Patrick
03-19-2021, 10:09 AM
Thanks. I always associate GC with CD although I know he does work with PS as well.

Splync
03-20-2021, 05:13 PM
In honor of the upcoming illustrated Cujo, Chadbourne is offering remarques for any of your Stephen King books!

Brian861
03-21-2021, 04:09 AM
In honor of the upcoming illustrated Cujo, Chadbourne is offering remarques for any of your Stephen King books!

I believe he's been doing those for quite awhile now.

herbertwest
03-21-2021, 05:43 AM
I believe that Splync was doing sarcasm ;)

Brian861
03-21-2021, 03:01 PM
I believe that Splync was doing sarcasm ;)

At least that edition would make sense, since he actually has art in it.

ICry4Oy
03-21-2021, 07:59 PM

Careful with the Chadbourne jokes, someone has his panties in a wad about it.

DanHocker
03-23-2021, 06:00 AM
Hi Brian,

Any idea on when the CDCC pint glasses will be shipping?

These are in the warehouse. But I have like 6 or 7 projects in the warehouse to ship right now. So it's really just a matter of prioritizing the shipments. Here's a taste of what's shipping (in no particular order and I'm probably missing something)

March Book Club Book
Home
Cold Dead Hands
Little Girls
Chart of Darkness
The Night Eternal
Little Silver Book
Hope and Miracles
Other Sandboxes
CDCC Pint Glass

Splync
03-23-2021, 09:27 AM
Chart of Darkness

I Googled this one and came up with a chapbook from 2009. That's not right, is it?

DanHocker
03-23-2021, 10:19 AM
Chart of Darkness

I Googled this one and came up with a chapbook from 2009. That's not right, is it?

Nope. This one hasn't been up for sale publicly yet. It belongs to a previous book club. There will be copies left after the book club though, so it should go up for sale after we send out those book club books.

GenericEric
03-23-2021, 11:16 AM
Question for Dan or Brian. Is the Night Shift art portfolio still on track for an April release date? Thanks.

Brian861
03-23-2021, 03:05 PM
I had Gwendy's Magic Feather show up yesterday without notice. That was a nice surprise and didn't realize RC was signing those.

Kingfan24
03-23-2021, 06:00 PM
Have all the night shift artist editions shipped? Still don’t have mine.

jeffingoff
03-23-2021, 06:34 PM
I had Gwendy's Magic Feather show up yesterday without notice. That was a nice surprise and didn't realize RC was signing those.

The slipcased limited edition? I’m still waiting on mine.

Brian861
03-24-2021, 03:24 AM

The one I received was just the trade I believe. No slipcase anyway.

DanHocker
03-24-2021, 06:26 AM

Did you enter one of the giveaways?

DanHocker
03-24-2021, 06:27 AM
Have all the night shift artist editions shipped? Still don’t have mine.

They have. Shoot me an email and I'll look and see what's up with your order.

DanHocker
03-24-2021, 06:29 AM
Question for Dan or Brian. Is the Night Shift art portfolio still on track for an April release date? Thanks.

Not sure. Prints themselves are in production, I'm just not sure what the turnaround time is there. As noted above though the shipping schedule is incredibly full at the moment, and I just got word that our copies of PS Publishing's Dead Zone are finally on their way to us. So it'll probably just be a matter of fitting the folios into the schedule.

Brian861
03-24-2021, 08:54 AM

I entered the contest/s regarding RC's latest book. Not sure if this was one of the prizes as it wasn't in my order history. I do have a slipcase on order for Gwendy's Magic Feather from 2019. Are those still forthcoming?

DanHocker
03-24-2021, 12:31 PM

I entered the contest/s regarding RC's latest book. Not sure if this was one of the prizes as it wasn't in my order history. I do have a slipcase on order for Gwendy's Magic Feather from 2019. Are those still forthcoming?

This was probably one of those prizes then. Slipcases are still forthcoming. I'm not sure where those are in the schedule though. I know the case maker was working on Usher's Passing cases and some more cases for Night Shift (we were shorted a bunch).

Brian861
03-24-2021, 02:59 PM
This was probably one of those prizes then. Slipcases are still forthcoming. I'm not sure where those are in the schedule though. I know the case maker was working on Usher's Passing cases and some more cases for Night Shift (we were shorted a bunch).

Probably. I checked my shelves and already have a signed copy. Would explain why it isn't in my order history as I delete orders when they arrive.

kingfan2323
03-25-2021, 10:40 PM
Anyone know when the supposed included signed limited edition books for CDCC 9, 10. AND 11 will be released?

ISO: anything DT related #246

lotuz
03-30-2021, 11:24 AM
I have received, to date, FORTY-ONE emails about Chasing the Boogeyman or that damn contest associated with it and I am about two inches away from directing all non-CDCC emails from CD to my spam folder.

Absolutely absurd and a total abuse of the mailing list to pump the numbers on that book

ajw2910
03-30-2021, 03:40 PM
I agree. I’ve been waiting about 20 years for Best of CD 2 to be published. I probably don’t have 41 emails on that book in that entire span.

OldCrow88
03-30-2021, 03:49 PM
I agree. I’ve been waiting about 20 years for Best of CD 2 to be published. I probably don’t have 41 emails on that book in that entire span.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?

sentinel
03-30-2021, 04:19 PM
I have received, to date, FORTY-ONE emails about Chasing the Boogeyman or that damn contest associated with it and I am about two inches away from directing all non-CDCC emails from CD to my spam folder.

Absolutely absurd and a total abuse of the mailing list to pump the numbers on that book

Ditto! I am disappointed they are shoving it through Amazon.

Splync
03-30-2021, 04:35 PM

Okay, but did you know that if you buy multiple copies, you get MORE chances to win?!

Kongo
03-30-2021, 05:19 PM

Okay, but did you know that if you buy multiple copies, you get MORE chances to win?!

I'm freaking dying over here :lol: I deleted a bunch of older emails, and after I saw this comment I just had to check again. Sure enough I got a new one. I think of it like a sensual game of tug and war. They think they're gonna break me, but they'll have to try harder than that

Lurker
03-30-2021, 05:48 PM
Thank goodness mine today said: TWO DAYS LEFT! (Yeah, we'll see. Probably some hidden in the warehouse.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one driven nuts with this spam.

jeffingoff
03-30-2021, 06:28 PM
This has been worse than even the heavy the promotion that happened for Widows Point and the two Gwendy books. It wouldn’t be such a big deal or even noticeable if so many other books weren’t years behind schedule.

ICry4Oy
03-30-2021, 07:52 PM
Glad it's not just me annoyed by this! I never sign up for contests that require me to buy something anyway. If I did, I'd be stuck with a book I had no use for and wouldn't win anyway.

OldCrow88
03-31-2021, 03:52 AM
Make a product, sell the product, deliver the product. Should be a reasonably linear process. I understand the premise of raising capital to fund making the product. My issue with such a loooooooooong lead time before production/delivery is I'm certain the capital raised (my purchase price) has been expended long before delivery. So 'sell the product' and 'deliver the product' become cashflow disconnected. I'm left feeling like the only way I'll ever see a book I've ordered (e.g., Best of CD 2) is if CD succeeds in convincing other people to spend new money on some contest, club, surprise-it'll-be-here-soon-forthcoming-other-book, or somesuch...like I'm stuck in the middle of a ponzi scheme. Makes me weary and removes the joy when anything finally is delivered.
Sorry for the rant.

jeffingoff
03-31-2021, 05:18 AM
Make a product, sell the product, deliver the product. Should be a reasonably linear process. I understand the premise of raising capital to fund making the product. My issue with such a loooooooooong lead time before production/delivery is I'm certain the capital raised (my purchase price) has been expended long before delivery. So 'sell the product' and 'deliver the product' become cashflow disconnected. I'm left feeling like the only way I'll ever see a book I've ordered (e.g., Best of CD 2) is if CD succeeds in convincing other people to spend new money on some contest, club, surprise-it'll-be-here-soon-forthcoming-other-book, or somesuch...like I'm stuck in the middle of a ponzi scheme. Makes me weary and removes the joy when anything finally is delivered.
Sorry for the rant.

Well then it must be extra-concerning to know that CD isn’t publishing Chasing the Bogeyman. So all that effort in promoting the book isn’t directly fueling the business’ cash flow.

Ari_Racing
03-31-2021, 05:25 AM
Actually it does, because Richard's earnings are invested in Cemetery Dance. Brian explained this already.

Kingfan24
03-31-2021, 05:35 AM
Sorry for the rant.

I can’t even get a response for a book I ordered that has apparently finished shipping. Not sure what’s happening at CD but it doesn’t seem good.

EDIT: Dan got back to me. Thanks Dan!

jeffingoff
03-31-2021, 05:38 AM
Actually it does, because Richard's earnings are invested in Cemetery Dance. Brian explained this already.

For this title? I thought Brian’s previous explanation was only as it relates to the Gwendy books. Sure the publicity for Chasing the Bogeyman will result in more attention for CD which is why I said it doesn’t “directly” benefit CD. But you’re right, it’s not my business and I don’t know where the money is flowing. I’m only sharing the frustration others feel in where it seems the energy is flowing. There are books on the production update page waiting for Richards signature before they can be sent to the conga line at the printer. If he doesn’t have time to sign a book he certainly doesn’t have time to write and promote a different one.

I still have about 10-12 preorders with CD and I’m still expecting I’ll get them all. If you know me and seen even just two of my unboxing videos then you know I rarely say anything negative about anyone other than Bentley Little. I’m usually absolutely positive about the books I get. And over the years I’ve done my share of singing CDs praises. So for CD to get me to turn negative that’s quite an accomplishment. And again, I still have multiple preorders and a small amount of money in my CD account so it’s not like I’ve walked away from CD. I’m only being critical of the optics connected to promoting a book so aggressively while customers wait for years.

Brian James Freeman
04-01-2021, 09:55 AM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that your messages to the office staff are being heard, re: the promotions for Chasing the Boogeyman.

I've been promised that the emails will be taking some kind of break after today's newsletter, but I also think Dan and I can greatly reduce the number of future emails on this topic you see if you've reached your breaking point.

Please email me at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com with your real name and the email address that should be on your customer account, and I'll see what I can do.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience and any annoyance these notes have caused, and we also recognize the really good point some of you have made, re: the optics of pushing this book so hard when you're waiting on books you've paid for.

We know it's been a relentless push. Just as some general background information -- I'm not trying to convince anyone that the promotions for the book haven't been too much! -- there are things we've learned about New York publishing and trade editions in the years since we started working more closely with S&S after the announcement of Blockade Billy and some of that information is probably a factor here.

For example, New York publishers don't start their full marketing push until about 6 weeks before publication, when the first printing is already set based on preorders and expected demand... but if they don't see a lot of preorders and expected demand, they won't print as many copies... and if they don't print many copies, they'll divert the marketing resources to other projects with bigger print runs (more $$$ already invested)... which means they never do their big promised push for your book, sales don't hit their goals (since they didn't even print enough books to hit those goals), and the book isn't a success.

This all means it is very much on the author and their own marketing efforts to boost the early numbers, so when the publisher finalizes the print run and their marketing plans, they see a chance for a big seller... and then push the book like a big seller... which often makes it... a big seller.

(The New York publishing business is kind of a self-fulling prophecy in that respect.)

I provide this information for those who are interested in such matters, not to try to convince you that the onslaught of emails hasn't been too much. :)

Brian

St. Troy
04-01-2021, 10:10 AM
That's interesting, but wacky as hell.

goathunter
04-01-2021, 12:38 PM

That's the New York publishing business. And it's only gotten worse since all of the book lovers at those places were replaced by soulless business people as all of the buyouts and swallowing up the competition happened.

Roseannebarr
04-02-2021, 11:11 PM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that your messages to the office staff are being heard, re: the promotions for Chasing the Boogeyman.

I've been promised that the emails will be taking some kind of break after today's newsletter, but I also think Dan and I can greatly reduce the number of future emails on this topic you see if you've reached your breaking point.

Please email me at brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com with your real name and the email address that should be on your customer account, and I'll see what I can do.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience and any annoyance these notes have caused, and we also recognize the really good point some of you have made, re: the optics of pushing this book so hard when you're waiting on books you've paid for.

We know it's been a relentless push. Just as some general background information -- I'm not trying to convince anyone that the promotions for the book haven't been too much! -- there are things we've learned about New York publishing and trade editions in the years since we started working more closely with S&S after the announcement of Blockade Billy and some of that information is probably a factor here.

For example, New York publishers don't start their full marketing push until about 6 weeks before publication, when the first printing is already set based on preorders and expected demand... but if they don't see a lot of preorders and expected demand, they won't print as many copies... and if they don't print many copies, they'll divert the marketing resources to other projects with bigger print runs (more $$$ already invested)... which means they never do their big promised push for your book, sales don't hit their goals (since they didn't even print enough books to hit those goals), and the book isn't a success.

This all means it is very much on the author and their own marketing efforts to boost the early numbers, so when the publisher finalizes the print run and their marketing plans, they see a chance for a big seller... and then push the book like a big seller... which often makes it... a big seller.

(The New York publishing business is kind of a self-fulling prophecy in that respect.)

I provide this information for those who are interested in such matters, not to try to convince you that the onslaught of emails hasn't been too much. :)

Brian

Thanks for the information. I hope sales are good! I know I purchased several copies.

One bookstore wrote me and said I already ordered two copies and asked if I made a mistake. :) I said no, I was trying to win a contest, and now I know I could be contributing to Richards success as a NYT best selling author. All because i wanted a signed King book.

Enough copies that he should send me an ARC. :panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

Fsmdr
04-03-2021, 07:34 AM
Hey guys,

Brian

Brian, all we want is equal amount of emails for promotions and 'your order has shipped', that's it. If nothing has shipped, then nothing else should be promoted.

jeffingoff
04-04-2021, 01:07 PM
Hey guys,

Brian

Brian, all we want is equal amount of emails for promotions and 'your order has shipped', that's it. If nothing has shipped, then nothing else should be promoted.

Brilliantly crafted. I can’t tell if you’re sharing in the criticism against CD or you’re mocking the critics. [emoji16]

GenericEric
04-04-2021, 07:44 PM
I'm sure this has been addressed many, many times ad nauseam but is it a question of taking on too many projects and because of that certain books get stuck in limbo for years?

So certain books get priority well others get shifted to the back of the line? I know it's probably more complicated than that, but I was curious.

Alec
04-04-2021, 10:31 PM
Good morning Brian,
Would it be possible to hear progress on ‘Flight or Fright’ by Bev Vincent. The lettered edition.
I believe this was posted on here for the first time in May 2018.
Appreciate from what I can determine that there are just over 10 signatures to obtain.
Kindest regards
Alec.

amd013
04-05-2021, 08:29 AM
Good morning Brian,
Would it be possible to hear progress on ‘Flight or Fright’ by Bev Vincent. The lettered edition.
Appreciate from what I can determine that there are just over 10 signatures to obtain.
Kindest regards
Alec.

10 Signatures?? I thought the lettered only had 3, and the Artist Edition only 2. Did this change? (going on order page). Are we still waiting on sigs for the Artist edition or is it just the Lettered, and if only the Lettered what is hold up on Artist edition?

Brian James Freeman
04-05-2021, 08:36 AM
Good morning Brian,
Kindest regards
Alec.

10 Signatures?? I thought the lettered only had 3, and the Artist Edition only 2. Did this change? (going on order page). Are we still waiting on sigs for the Artist edition or is it just the Lettered, and if only the Lettered what is hold up on Artist edition?

Still waiting on King to sign for the Lettered Edition. Both editions are printed together, so that's the hold-up at the moment.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-05-2021, 09:12 AM
I'm sure this has been addressed many, many times ad nauseam but is it a question of taking on too many projects and because of that certain books get stuck in limbo for years?

So certain books get priority well others get shifted to the back of the line? I know it's probably more complicated than that, but I was curious.

It's definitely a combination of things. Too many projects on the plate is a big one. Announcing projects too early is another. (If you wait to announce the book until later in the process, the customer never knows it took a year for the artist to sign the signature sheets, or that the person who was supposed to write the introduction fell ill and wasn't able to, etc.)

Losing our two big printers in such a short span of time was a pretty big hit.

A lot of time and energy these past couple of years has gone to catching up on the Lettered Editions, which fell an inexcusable amount of time behind schedule. We've gotten something like 100 or 120 of those projects done in the last 3 years, but there are still about a dozen to go. That should happen this year, thankfully.

There are other factors that crop up, of course, but they're more internal matters that I couldn't post about here.

Also, there are actually a lot of projects that are unannounced and ready for the printer, but they're waiting until we're more caught up on some of the announced projects.

I've been advocating for us to wait until signature sheets are done before announcing a project for preorder, and sometimes I even get heard. ;) For example, The Stand is basically ready for the printer except for the signature sheets, which seem to be stuck with an artist who no longer responds to our messages. Once those sheets are back, the official announcement can be made and the book can be started at the printer. (The other option, which we're getting pretty close to at this point, is that the sheets are only signed by the other artists involved in the project. We'll keep bugging the artist who still needs to sign, though, and try to get that done.)

Brian

Brian861
04-05-2021, 10:42 AM
Man, what's up with these artists holding up the process? I wonder how common this is as I've only read about it with CD. Or do other publishers only announce preorders when everything is in hand?

Randall Flagg
04-05-2021, 10:49 AM
From what little bookbinding I do, I know that artists can often be a big delay. So much so, that I don't pay the final 50% of the contract price until the art is satisfactorily delivered.

Brian James Freeman
04-05-2021, 11:36 AM
Man, what's up with these artists holding up the process? I wonder how common this is as I've only read about it with CD. Or do other publishers only announce preorders when everything is in hand?

Well, the last three times it has happened for CD, it was with artists we don't normally work with who had been selected by the author. In two of the cases, we loved the artwork, so in the end, it was worth the wait. In the third case... we're very glad the author was happy with the art!

That said, it's probably been 3 of the last 50 or 75 projects that have had art specific delays...? (And a couple where the artist was the slow poke to sign the signature sheets, which I put in a different category!) It's just that, when asked what the hold up is on those particular projects, we explain it is the artwork, and I think because those projects get asked about a lot, it seems like there must be a lot of art related delays?

But also, yes, most publishers probably wait until they have the artwork in hand to announce, so they never have to worry about this! I'm a big fan of having everything done before announcing, and I push for that whenever I can. (See the previous post about all of the unannounced printer-ready projects we have in the pipeline!)

Brian

Brian861
04-05-2021, 02:36 PM
From what little bookbinding I do, I know that artists can often be a big delay. So much so, that I don't pay the final 50% of the contract price until the art is satisfactorily delivered.

Sounds like a wise decision.

Brian861
04-05-2021, 02:39 PM

Well, the last three times it has happened for CD, it was with artists we don't normally work with who had been selected by the author. In two of the cases, we loved the artwork, so in the end, it was worth the wait. In the third case... we're very glad the author was happy with the art!

That said, it's probably been 3 of the last 50 or 75 projects that have had art specific delays...? (And a couple where the artist was the slow poke to sign the signature sheets, which I put in a different category!) It's just that, when asked what the hold up is on those particular projects, we explain it is the artwork, and I think because those projects get asked about a lot, it seems like there must be a lot of art related delays?

But also, yes, most publishers probably wait until they have the artwork in hand to announce, so they never have to worry about this! I'm a big fan of having everything done before announcing, and I push for that whenever I can. (See the previous post about all of the unannounced printer-ready projects we have in the pipeline!)

Brian

Realizing I'm not completely in the know; in the case of artist delays, has the art been completed and you're just waiting on a sig? Or waiting on both the art and the sig?

Brian James Freeman
04-05-2021, 03:58 PM
Realizing I'm not completely in the know; in the case of artist delays, has the art been completed and you're just waiting on a sig? Or waiting on both the art and the sig?

For me, an "artist delay" is a delay in delivering the artwork. Waiting on signature sheets would be a "signature sheet delay." But that's just the terms we use here. Your milage may vary.

Brian

Ari_Racing
04-05-2021, 04:41 PM

It's definitely a combination of things. Too many projects on the plate is a big one. Announcing projects too early is another. (If you wait to announce the book until later in the process, the customer never knows it took a year for the artist to sign the signature sheets, or that the person who was supposed to write the introduction fell ill and wasn't able to, etc.)

Losing our two big printers in such a short span of time was a pretty big hit.

A lot of time and energy these past couple of years has gone to catching up on the Lettered Editions, which fell an inexcusable amount of time behind schedule. We've gotten something like 100 or 120 of those projects done in the last 3 years, but there are still about a dozen to go. That should happen this year, thankfully.

There are other factors that crop up, of course, but they're more internal matters that I couldn't post about here.

Also, there are actually a lot of projects that are unannounced and ready for the printer, but they're waiting until we're more caught up on some of the announced projects.

I've been advocating for us to wait until signature sheets are done before announcing a project for preorder, and sometimes I even get heard. ;) For example, The Stand is basically ready for the printer except for the signature sheets, which seem to be stuck with an artist who no longer responds to our messages. Once those sheets are back, the official announcement can be made and the book can be started at the printer. (The other option, which we're getting pretty close to at this point, is that the sheets are only signed by the other artists involved in the project. We'll keep bugging the artist who still needs to sign, though, and try to get that done.)

Brian

In the case you get to have the books signed by the two other artists it means that new sheets will have to be printed and sent to them to be signed? Or you'll recover the signed sheets like they're?

St. Troy
04-05-2021, 04:51 PM
I used to think I’d love to have a job like Brian’s. I’ll stick with reading the books.

Dolan
04-05-2021, 04:55 PM
Brian, you're always so forthcoming with us in this forum even at times where the stones are endless. I know the frustration that people have but I admire you and Dan always coming on to offer assistance. Even more so, going into extreme detail on what issues you're faced with and how that relates to books not in hand. We appreciate that a lot.

I've been late to the show with many publications from CD to LP and you have been key in me getting all I needed. Thank you.

jeffingoff
04-05-2021, 05:09 PM
Brian, you're always so forthcoming with us in this forum even at times where the stones are endless. I know the frustration that people have but I admire you and Dan always coming on to offer assistance. Even more so, going into extreme detail on what issues you're faced with and how that relates to books not in hand. We appreciate that a lot.

I've been late to the show with many publications from CD to LP and you have been key in me getting all I needed. Thank you.

I agree with this alllll day! Well said.

Brian James Freeman
04-05-2021, 06:24 PM
In the case you get to have the books signed by the two other artists it means that new sheets will have to be printed and sent to them to be signed? Or you'll recover the signed sheets like they're?

For simplicity's sake, we'd probably print new sheets and pay the other artists to sign again. Based on past experience, they could knock them out in about a month (total), maybe even a little quicker.

Brian

tippy4
04-06-2021, 09:25 AM

Brian

Just spoke to Ned......he will be contacting you.

Brian James Freeman
04-06-2021, 09:37 AM

Brian

Thanks! Maybe I should give up on calling and emailing people, and just vaguely post messages here from now on since that seems to work better sometimes. :biggrin:

Brian

Roseannebarr
04-06-2021, 01:17 PM

Brian

Thanks! Maybe I should give up on calling and emailing people, and just vaguely post messages here from now on since that seems to work better sometimes. :biggrin:

Brian

Our HIRE Tippy!! Tippy saves the day! :excited:

Joe315
04-06-2021, 01:28 PM
That’s great that Tippy got his attention but it’s sad that it took that at all. I mean your paying him to provide a service. They should sign and return the sheets in a timely manner.

BadHatHarry
04-13-2021, 09:44 AM
If you're a CDCC member, you might want to check your emails right quick.

webstar1000
04-13-2021, 10:29 AM
If you're a CDCC member, you might want to check your emails right quick.

TOO LATE.

Aremag
04-13-2021, 10:45 AM
The first rule of CDCC is ...

BadHatHarry
04-13-2021, 10:47 AM
I said nothing other than check your emails.

Aremag
04-13-2021, 10:49 AM
I said nothing other than check your emails.

Just some good natured ribbing lol.

BadHatHarry
04-13-2021, 11:08 AM
I must have gotten mixed up with the first rule of Crossfit, which is tell literally everyone about Crossfit.

BadHatHarry
04-13-2021, 11:09 AM
Also, the "top secret don't share with anyone" page shows in the search results on the CD website.

Br!an
04-13-2021, 12:40 PM
Also, the "top secret don't share with anyone" page shows in the search results on the CD website.

Damn it! You aren't supposed to share that. :wtf:

Brian James Freeman
04-13-2021, 12:46 PM

That's why we rely on people to not post about it. No one is searching for it on a random day unless someone tells them to go hunting. ;)

Brian

BadHatHarry
04-13-2021, 01:04 PM
Oh really? Does that happen any time something goes out? I thought it was just a glitch. Good thing some idiot didn't mention details on a public message board. What kind of twit would do that?

Brian861
04-13-2021, 01:16 PM
This is the reason we can't ever have anything nice. You kids are always spilling the beans!

jeffingoff
04-13-2021, 01:36 PM
This is the reason we can't ever have anything nice. You kids are always spilling the beans!

Now I’m searching for every known title on the CD site.

Aremag
04-13-2021, 01:44 PM

I'm sure Brian would be happy to send you all the Bentley Little books.

Br!an
04-13-2021, 01:58 PM

I probably have a full set, including lettered editions, and I've never bought one. Damn those grab-bags!

OldCrow88
04-13-2021, 04:49 PM

I'd be happy for 'The Summoning'. Been waiting for that one since 2015.

ICry4Oy
04-13-2021, 05:52 PM

And a copy of Pork Pie Hat!
:evil:

Splync
04-13-2021, 06:14 PM
What a bummer year to accidentally skip the CDCC... :-(

jeffingoff
04-13-2021, 06:43 PM

I accidentally skipped too. I wonder what the hell it was. And that weight will crush me. I feel my ribs bending in.

frik
04-14-2021, 08:31 AM

Pretty sure just being a member of the CDCC alone would have gotten you a notice....

sk

Splync
04-14-2021, 08:58 AM

Pretty sure just being a member of the CDCC alone would have gotten you a notice....

sk

Nope, it only went out to current members. Money was tight around renewal time and I never got around to renewing it in time.

I have the lettered edition ordered of the second book, so I was hoping THAT would get me first right of refusal on the third title, but nope...

No email for me. :-/

jeffingoff
04-14-2021, 09:01 AM

sk

Nope, it only went out to current members. Money was tight around renewal time and I never got around to renewing it in time.

I have the lettered edition ordered of the second book, so I was hoping THAT would get me first right of refusal on the third title, but nope...

Ouch. I think current lettered holders should have had first dibs. Then the CDCC gets the next shot. That’s not right.

webstar1000
04-14-2021, 09:47 AM

sk

Ouch. I think current lettered holders should have had first dibs. Then the CDCC gets the next shot. That’s not right.

I think lettered holders of the LAST King book would/should get rights... just my thoughts. They are the MOST expensive books CD makes and rewarding that loyalty I have always been of a fan of.

Hunchback Jack
04-14-2021, 10:41 AM

This made me laugh. I have THREE extra copies of the trade edition of that book, somehow. That's in addition to the lettered, signed and trade editions I want to keep. I guess it was a grab bag staple at one point.

HBJ

DanHocker
04-14-2021, 10:50 AM

This made me laugh. I have THREE extra copies of the trade edition of that book, somehow. That's in addition to the lettered, signed and trade editions I want to keep. I guess it was a grab bag staple at one point.

HBJ

Yes it was. Haven't had copies in a couple of years though.

playdohman
04-14-2021, 11:14 AM

sk

I think lettered holders of the LAST King book would/should get rights... just my thoughts. They are the MOST expensive books CD makes and rewarding that loyalty I have always been of a fan of.

The first email notice I received stated it was because I previously purchased a special edition. The next day the second email notice stated it was because I was in the CDCC. Based on that I would have assumed all purchasers of a limited would have received an email first.

webstar1000
04-14-2021, 11:19 AM

sk

The first email notice I received stated it was because I previously purchased a special edition. The next day the second email notice stated it was because I was in the CDCC. Based on that I would have assumed all purchasers of a limited would have received an email first.

right ( I was thinking letter only here for some reason) I totally agree.

jeffingoff
04-14-2021, 11:32 AM

sk

I got nothing and I bought the previous signed (by one author) book.

Roseannebarr
04-14-2021, 01:36 PM

sk

What did I miss?

amd013
04-14-2021, 01:50 PM

sk

What did I miss?

Just a bunch of people not following instructions.

jeffingoff
04-14-2021, 02:01 PM
I agree with every word lotuz wrote before his cooler head prevailed.

+1, Timothy!

lotuz
04-14-2021, 02:17 PM

+1, Timothy!

lol I will probably repost once everything is public :redface:

I didn't change my mind one iota about the sentiment but the least I can do is wait until the blackout period is over and everyone is on the same page...

ICry4Oy
04-14-2021, 03:11 PM

HBJ

Yes it was. Haven't had copies in a couple of years though.

That's why I quit buying grab bags. At one time I had six copies of that damned book. Glad they stopped putting them in though!

Br!an
04-14-2021, 03:13 PM
I received one email because I purchased the S/L of Gwendy's Button Box. That's it. No CDCC email.

I did get my order in though! :dance:

swintek
04-15-2021, 11:35 AM

+1, Timothy!

lol I will probably repost once everything is public :redface:

I didn't change my mind one iota about the sentiment but the least I can do is wait until the blackout period is over and everyone is on the same page...

Damn- wish I caught that post before you deleted it. This is the whole reason for this civilized place to exist. Hopefully you will share your thoughts again once you feel the time is right.

Ari_Racing
04-15-2021, 11:43 AM

That's the New York publishing business. And it's only gotten worse since all of the book lovers at those places were replaced by soulless business people as all of the buyouts and swallowing up the competition happened.

This is a great insight on the publishing business we not always see. Thanks to you and Brian for sharing always what usually happens behind curtains.

OldCrow88
04-15-2021, 12:07 PM
So, yeah, I have lettered copies of the first two books -- correction, I have lettered copy of the first book, I have 'ordered' lettered copy of the second book which I suppose I'll actually see sometime in 2024 -- but I won't ever get lettered copy of the third book because I wasn't quick on the draw to a random innuendo email on a random Monday afternoon. Is it really that hard to hold rights to a letter for, I don't know, maybe 72 hours at least? Ah well, I wouldn't see the book until 2028 anyway, I suppose by then any bitterness will have faded.

GenericEric
04-17-2021, 04:32 PM
Question for Brian or Dan. Just wondering how the If It Bleeds slipcases are coming along?

Brian James Freeman
04-17-2021, 05:16 PM
Question for Brian or Dan. Just wondering how the If It Bleeds slipcases are coming along?

I’m out of town this weekend, and I don’t remember off the top of my head, but I will check with Mindy on Monday and report back!

Brian

ConstantReader84
04-17-2021, 05:45 PM

I’m out of town this weekend, and I don’t remember off the top of my head, but I will check with Mindy on Monday and report back!

Brian

Hi Brian,

Will there be a slipcase for the hardcover release of Later?

DanHocker
04-19-2021, 05:05 AM

Brian

Hi Brian,

Will there be a slipcase for the hardcover release of Later?

Have they announced a mass market hardcover release yet? Or are you talking about the signed edition?

ajw2910
04-19-2021, 05:12 AM
Yes, there was an unsigned hardcover edition sold at the same time as the signed limited.

DanHocker
04-19-2021, 05:22 AM
Hmm interesting. I don't seem to be able to find any info about it. I'm going to guess we probably won't be producing a slipcase for it then.

Splync
04-19-2021, 05:29 AM
Hmm interesting. I don't seem to be able to find any info about it. I'm going to guess we probably won't be producing a slipcase for it then.

The unsigned hardcover was limited to 2,000 copies. I thought you had previously confirmed that you were not producing slipcases for them as it wouldn't be worth it?

Brian James Freeman
04-19-2021, 06:30 AM

Mindy says the slipcase maker is working on them now, so they should be done this summer.

Brian

DanHocker
04-19-2021, 08:02 AM

The unsigned hardcover was limited to 2,000 copies. I thought you had previously confirmed that you were not producing slipcases for them as it wouldn't be worth it?

Ahh ok so not really a mass market THC then. Not like the (illustrated edition I think) they did for Joyland.

zachip
04-19-2021, 08:23 AM
Dan, When are u going to ship the night eternal?

DanHocker
04-19-2021, 09:41 AM
Dan, When are u going to ship the night eternal?

Soon I hope. My shipping plans keep getting shuffled around though. If nothing changes Little Girls is shipping now, then Usher's Passing, then Night Eternal.

GenericEric
04-19-2021, 01:03 PM
Yay!! Another McCammon limited on the horizon!

sentinel
04-21-2021, 04:40 PM
Just got Chart of Darkness, does it bother anybody that it is already 6 years out of date?
Couldn't there have been an addendum to add the last seven books?

Joe315
04-21-2021, 09:08 PM
Just got Chart of Darkness, does it bother anybody that it is already 6 years out of date?
Couldn't there have been an addendum to add the last seven books?

Given the delays of many of their books is not surprising. Their book Shocklines was initially subtitled “fresh voices in terror”. Now it’s subtitles “a anthology of terror”. Some of the featured authors are probably seasoned veterans by now.

St. Troy
04-22-2021, 10:43 AM
Think of it as "unplanned vintage" - a true collectible.

GenericEric
04-26-2021, 05:54 PM
According to new production updates If It Bleeds slipcase delayed until August. :(

Brian James Freeman
04-26-2021, 06:41 PM
According to new production updates If It Bleeds slipcase delayed until August. :(

Not really delayed in the sense that that has been the target date for a while now, we just didn't post that specific date because we weren't confident in our slipcase maker's schedule and didn't want to give out that date prematurely. Now that they're producing the stamping dies, and based on recent experience, August should be right on target.

Brian

Roseannebarr
04-26-2021, 08:45 PM
Brian,

FYI. I purchased several (8) copies of Later in paperback. From across the US. It appears that there are 2 different sizes. I don’t know how to post pictures even though Br!an tells us all the time how to do it. If someone sends me their phone number I can text them the pics for uploading.

I wanted to let you know because of the slipcases CD will be producing! I can send you one of each if needed!

Thanks! Glen

Brian James Freeman
04-27-2021, 06:00 AM
Brian,

FYI. I purchased several (8) copies of Later in paperback. From across the US. It appears that there are 2 different sizes. I don’t know how to post pictures even though Br!an tells us all the time how to do it. If someone sends me their phone number I can text them the pics for uploading.

I wanted to let you know because of the slipcases CD will be producing! I can send you one of each if needed!

Thanks! Glen

I had been planned to ask around about this because I have this vague memory of something similar with a previous trade paperback, so you saved me some time. :)

Please drop me an email at the usual address, and we'll work out a trade for your copies!

Brian

amd013
04-27-2021, 07:27 AM
Brian,

Thanks! Glen

Hi Glen,

Which dimensions vary?

Brian, would you make the slipcase for the bigger size, and then provide spacers in case we have the smaller size?

Mike

Ari_Racing
04-27-2021, 11:09 AM
Brian,

Thanks! Glen

This pic is from Glen:

https://scontent-lim1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/178505985_10226381166860223_5458751111215555080_n. jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=7S5ZVi_TI_QAX8oZZrc&_nc_ht=scontent-lim1-1.xx&oh=22ceb30ea94209aa954d66f75451fea8&oe=60ABFE19

Bev Vincent
04-27-2021, 11:52 AM
Maybe they were done at different printers.

Roseannebarr
04-27-2021, 12:29 PM

I think I figured out the smaller ones came from the UK from Forbidden Planet. the larger ones are from the US. YEP thats the story. Shorter ones printed in the UK. both have a different copyright page.

THANK YOU ARI for the ASSIST!

Brian861
04-27-2021, 12:39 PM

I think I figured out the smaller ones came from the UK from Forbidden Planet. the larger ones are from the US. YEP thats the story. Shorter ones printed in the UK. both have a different copyright page.

Geez, Glen! I was in a panic thinking I was going to have to hunt down the shorter US variant :panic:

Roseannebarr
04-27-2021, 12:43 PM

Geez, Glen! I was in a panic thinking I was going to have to hunt down the shorter US variant :panic:

Sorry for the false alarm. I assumed and you know what happens when you assume. You end up with 9 copies of a great book.

Brian861
04-27-2021, 12:47 PM

Sorry for the false alarm. I assumed and you know what happens when you assume. You end up with 9 copies of a great book.

You're not alone in that regard.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-27-2021, 12:49 PM
It is a very nice picture though.

amd013
04-27-2021, 02:16 PM
Fortunately, I have decided not to chase variants on trade editions, as long as it is considered a 1st printing, that is good enough for me. But this does make it frustrating for getting (or making) slip cases.

EDIT: UGH, should make sure I am reading last post in the thread, and not just last post on the current page. Missed the US vs UK update.

Lookwhoitis
05-02-2021, 10:28 AM
Hey Brian,

So I just wanted to check... Is Gwendy's Final Task King/Chizmar Signed edition completely sold out? I sent you an email through your cemetery dance email addy but never got a response.

I received a preorder email but it was lost amongst the other large number of emails from CD in my inbox.

Do any other board members (that are in the CDCC) know the answer to this question? I remember the stir that was on these boards when the pre-order link was distributed to the CDCC, but it was so hush hush that I never figured out what book it was about.

Brian James Freeman
05-02-2021, 10:33 AM
Hey Brian,

So I just wanted to check... Is Gwendy's Final Task King/Chizmar Signed edition completely sold out? I sent you an email through your cemetery dance email addy but never got a response.

I received a preorder email but it was lost amongst the other large number of emails from CD in my inbox.

Do any other board members (that are in the CDCC) know the answer to this question? I remember the stir that was on these boards when the pre-order link was distributed to the CDCC, but it was so hush hush that I never figured out what book it was about.

If you contacted me, I forwarded your email for her to contact you, but it might have gotten overlooked depending on when that was. Feel free to ping me again, and I will follow up!

Brian

Roseannebarr
05-02-2021, 11:43 AM
Hey Brian,

If you contacted me, I forwarded your email for her to contact you, but it might have gotten overlooked depending on when that was. Feel free to ping me again, and I will follow up!

Brian

If what you are asking is about an email that nobody should of mentioned I am sorry you missed out🥲. I made a rookie mistake and forgot to complete purchase on Lettered Fright or Fright. I was devastated. My first missing lettered in years. Mindy could not help that time🥲🥲🎈

Ricky
05-02-2021, 01:57 PM
Will 1st edition copies of GFT be available through B&N physical stores, or is it a CD exclusive kind of thing?

Lookwhoitis
05-02-2021, 06:45 PM
Hey Brian,

Brian

I appreciate it Brian,

I have emailed you again from that email chain.

Lookwhoitis
05-02-2021, 06:51 PM
If what you are asking is about an email that nobody should of mentioned I am sorry you missed out🥲. I made a rookie mistake and forgot to complete purchase on Lettered Fright or Fright. I was devastated. My first missing lettered in years. Mindy could not help that time🥲🥲🎈

I DID receive an email to purchase, as I purchased a King Signed Button Box when that book came out. I never saw the email though until the 18th when it was all sold out, and i inquired about it directly to CD. But i think the window between me receiving that email and the time it opened up to the CDCC was pretty short and it probably all sold out close to immediately as soon as it hit the CDCC.

Everyone did a GREAT job of keeping the email secret because I had no clue Gwendy's final task was even being published. :lol:

frik
05-03-2021, 03:44 AM
Everyone did a GREAT job of keeping the email secret because I had no clue Gwendy's final task was even being published. :lol:

But that had already been announced, by Richard Chizmar himself for instance, weeks, maybe months, before the e-mail went out.

sk

Lookwhoitis
05-03-2021, 05:09 PM
Does anyone happen to have Justin Cronin's CITY OF MIRRORS S/N LE # 525?

Fsmdr
05-04-2021, 08:06 AM
Hey Brian,

Brian

Brian,

Is Mindy or Dan out on vacation or something? I've sent 2 emails in 10 days that has not been resolved or replied. Thanks

Brian James Freeman
05-04-2021, 08:49 AM
Will 1st edition copies of GFT be available through B&N physical stores, or is it a CD exclusive kind of thing?

B&N and Books-A-Million will be carrying the trade hardcover, yep!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-04-2021, 08:52 AM
Brian,

Is Mindy or Dan out on vacation or something? I've sent 2 emails in 10 days that has not been resolved or replied. Thanks

Mindy was working remotely in the evenings while on the road last week, but she's back in the office this week. Dan has been here his usual hours.

Please ping me via email if you haven't already, and I'll see what's up! (If you did email me, I'm digging out from 200 emails that piled up over the weekend, and I will be caught up in the next hour, so if you don't hear back soon, please send again this evening!)

Brian

Ricky
05-04-2021, 02:02 PM

B&N and Books-A-Million will be carrying the trade hardcover, yep!

Brian

Thanks, Brian!

TCCBodhi
05-10-2021, 11:54 AM
I've read back a few months on the thread. Have I missed any announcement of remarque opportunities for The Stand? It's something I'll definitely want, so trying to be patient for news about them.

Brian James Freeman
05-10-2021, 12:00 PM
I've read back a few months on the thread. Have I missed any announcement of remarque opportunities for The Stand? It's something I'll definitely want, so trying to be patient for news about them.

You have not missed that information. The remarque sheets are in progress, but the upgrade has not been offered to anyone yet.

Brian

TCCBodhi
05-10-2021, 12:29 PM
You have not missed that information. The remarque sheets are in progress, but the upgrade has not been offered to anyone yet.

Brian
Thank you Brian. I'll continue to keep my eye out.

amd013
05-11-2021, 02:43 PM
Dan, do you know when you will be shipping The Dead Zone?

Thanks,
Mike

Brian James Freeman
05-11-2021, 05:44 PM
Dan, do you know when you will be shipping The Dead Zone?

Thanks,
Mike

I'm not sure if all of our replacement copies arrived, but I'll let Dan answer since he knows what has arrived better than I do!

Brian James Freeman
05-11-2021, 05:49 PM
I can't remember if I posted this before, but I love the case material for the IF IT BLEEDS slipcase. Here's a photo of the sizing approval slipcase:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/IfItBleedscasematerial.jpg

I know this one is way behind schedule, but I think you'll really like it when it's done! I believe that should be in August based on the last update I received, but Dan or I will post when we know for sure.

Thanks again for your patience!

Brian

St. Troy
05-11-2021, 06:16 PM
http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/IfItBleedscasematerial.jpg

That looks incredible, so coppery.

Brian861
05-12-2021, 12:40 PM
Love it!

Ari_Racing
05-12-2021, 12:44 PM
Very nice!

Brian, I sent you an email :)

Brian James Freeman
05-12-2021, 06:04 PM
Very nice!

Brian, I sent you an email :)

Yes! I think I have an answer for you, will confirm ASAP.

Brian

Hunchback Jack
05-12-2021, 10:23 PM
I received Ushers Passing today and it’s really great. Nicely done all around - I like the illustrations.

Am I imagining things, or does this book have a slightly nicer paper stock than usual? It seems whiter and smoother than some other CD titles in my collection.

HBJ

TCCBodhi
05-14-2021, 03:30 PM
Brian or Dan, on at least one of the Facebook pages, there were a lot of people pointing to the CD order page for Cujo. Though it says "PREORDERS FOR INVITED COLLECTORS ONLY" I think a lot of orders were placed through there. I'm not one of them, but will those be able to be honored? At the time I'm posting this, PS still has it available and would like to point those people back to PS if those orders will have to be cancelled while there is time. Hope that one of you are around to answer quickly.

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2021, 03:39 PM
Brian or Dan, on at least one of the Facebook pages, there were a lot of people pointing to the CD order page for Cujo. Though it says "PREORDERS FOR INVITED COLLECTORS ONLY" I think a lot of orders were placed through there. I'm not one of them, but will those be able to be honored? At the time I'm posting this, PS still has it available and would like to point those people back to PS if those orders will have to be cancelled while there is time. Hope that one of you are around to answer quickly.

Good chance they will be cancelled. But it will probably be a week or two before we sort through those orders, so I suspect everywhere else will be sold out then. The page is VERY clear.

Brian

TCCBodhi
05-14-2021, 03:41 PM
Thanks Brian for the late night reply. I'll pass that on to them that they should make different plans while they can.

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2021, 03:42 PM
Thanks Brian for the late night reply. I'll pass that on to them that they should make different plans while they can.

Thank you!

amd013
05-14-2021, 03:55 PM

Thank you!

Maybe you should consider requiring a code to access the order page, like Suntup does during the rights preorder window. Looks like the page can easily be found without the link being shared.

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2021, 04:09 PM

Thank you!

Maybe you should consider requiring a code to access the order page, like Suntup does during the rights preorder window. Looks like the page can easily be found without the link being shared.

If people want to give us some money for a while, that’s kind of on them, right? That’s half a joke. People should know better, though.

The next signed by SK Limited Edition, if there is one, will be sold under different protocols since we can no longer trust people not to post the links on FB.

Brian

Roseannebarr
05-14-2021, 04:54 PM
Please don’t change the rules because of idiots. Would it be easy to cancel all the orders for those that Were not supposed to order?

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2021, 05:04 PM
Please don’t change the rules because of idiots. Would it be easy to cancel all the orders for those that Were not supposed to order?

We can just switch to a locked page if necessary. It will be a little more cumbersome for folks but it will be secure. :)

Brian

Ari_Racing
05-14-2021, 05:37 PM

Thank you!

If people want to give us some money for a while, that’s kind of on them, right? That’s half a joke. People should know better, though.

The next signed by SK Limited Edition, if there is one, will be sold under different protocols since we can no longer trust people not to post the links on FB.

Brian

It's incredible. The emails say explicitly "DON'T SHARE THIS" and less than 10 minutes later someone does or hints about it.

swintek
05-14-2021, 06:12 PM

Thank you!

Brian

As my kids would say- "100!"

playdohman
05-14-2021, 06:46 PM

We can just switch to a locked page if necessary. It will be a little more cumbersome for folks but it will be secure. :)

Brian

It was commented, and I tested it, that the CD Cujo order page was found by searching CD for “Cujo”. A couple of people who said they ordered form CD said they found it that way. I have no doubt that probably others with the secret email shared it, but it was found the old fashion way as well.

Dumakeybooks
05-14-2021, 06:51 PM
Does anyone have a Doctor Sleep slipcase lying around? 😂. I need to purchase one for my signed edition.

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2021, 07:06 PM

Brian

It was commented, and I tested it, thatthe CD Cujo order page was found by searching CD for “Cujo”. A couple of people who said they ordered form CD said they found it that way. I have no doubt that probably others with the secret email shared it, but it was found the old fashion way as well.

Yes, but why was anyone searching the wrong website for the book? Because people blabbed. And then other people saw a page that said “invitation only” and ordered anyway. It was bound to happen eventually. :shrug:

Our main concern is that the collectors who have been ordering the PS Pub books from us for years get their number. The rest will sort itself out.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-14-2021, 07:31 PM
Remember the days of paper newsletters arriving in the snail mail? Imagine if the next publisher with a big SK Limited Edition only sold them that way! Ha...

This isn’t a hint about anything that is actually in the works. :) I just recently found a TON of newsletters from the old days, and I love the fact that I still have them to look at, you know? An email newsletter, even if saved, just ain’t the same!

Brian

jeffingoff
05-14-2021, 07:36 PM
Remember the days of paper newsletters arriving in the snail mail? Imagine if the next publisher with a big SK Limited Edition only sold them that way! Ha...

This isn’t a hint about anything that is actually in the works. :) I just recently found a TON of newsletters from the old days, and I love the fact that I still have them to look at, you know? An email newsletter, even if saved, just ain’t the same!

Brian

I have a few from Donald Grant floating around. Loved those!

TCCBodhi
05-14-2021, 07:57 PM
I still have several from Drawing of the Three, and didn't Wastelands have one as well? We think our nerves are shot now? Just remember the days of having to have a postmark on a specific day, hope it doesn't get lost in the mail, and it gets past the day that you're supposed to know one way or another without getting notification, then waiting again for the book to show up undamaged without the up-to-date real-time news about where the shipping progress is in! Let's rejoice in our instant confirmations (whether they're later cancelled or not).

swintek
05-14-2021, 08:16 PM

Brian

Oh, I've been holding back from digging through all my old Dark Harvest, Donald M Grant, Scream Press, Craig Goden's Time Tunnel, et al, old, great newsletters and posting them somewhere. The original listing descriptions and prices on some of the classic books now is fascinating. I love old catalogs, and you're right about email being not anywhere near the same. And, your stance here, Brian, is absolutely the right one on folks gaming the CD ordering protocols. As said by someone else here recently- the "Facebook Collectors" are ruining the great 'little" community we've all been a part of for a long time.

sentinel
05-15-2021, 06:04 AM

Brian

I wish it were still that way! I had much better luck back then. (there were also a lot less King collectors to compete with!)

Ari_Racing
05-15-2021, 06:25 AM
I have several of those but for me it was worse due to living outside USA. 😄

webstar1000
05-15-2021, 07:01 AM

Brian

Oh, I've been holding back from digging through all my old Dark Harvest, Donald M Grant, Scream Press, Craig Goden's Time Tunnel, et al, old, great newsletters and posting them somewhere. The original listing descriptions and prices on some of the classic books now is fascinating. I love old catalogs, and you're right about email being not anywhere near the same. And, your stance here, Brian, is absolutely the right one on folks gaming the CD ordering protocols. As said by someone else here recently- the "Facebook Collectors" are ruining the great 'little" community we've all been a part of for a long time.

“Ruining”? I have to comment here. How is more people sharing in our passion a bad thing? The majority here are still able to get the new limiteds at issue due to the relationships with publishers or “rights”. Our collections have risen in value because of the new collectors. That’s a bad thing? I think it’s great there are new young up and coming collectors that are here for when the older generations of collectors stop collecting. It’s happening now... and there is new blood to hold onto your treasures. I think that comment is sad... and really makes me shake my head as to why we all wouldn’t embrace those “Facebook collectors “. It’s insulting I think.... cause nothing makes us here ANY better than them... other than have been around longer. I have a real sense of pride for the work I’ve done on those platforms, helping new collectors and sharing the wisdom I’ve learned over the years. I hope that community thrives because sadly this one is slowing down day by day. It’s the way of the future for collectibles (not just king). No change isn’t always the greatest... but in this case? I cannot see why anyone would not welcome these changes. It would break my heart if there was no new collectors to pass my collection off to someday. The joy that brings to get an item? We all know it well and while your getting FAR more for your collection now when you do sell them someday and pass that joy on... I wonder if you will feel the same way then?🤔🤔🤔🤔

Garrell
05-15-2021, 08:01 AM
I am a CDCC member and received no email on anything Cujo.

ICry4Oy
05-15-2021, 08:16 AM

I don't believe it had anything to do with CDCC members. It is my understanding that it was for CD customers who had purchased PS books before and this was their chance to match their number of those purchases. It was also SUPPOSED to NOT be shared.

Brian James Freeman
05-15-2021, 08:21 AM

Remaining copies will be offered to the CDCC. This is the only situation in which the CDCC is not notified first because people need to be able to get their matching numbers on things like this. It’s why I *try* to say “before the general public” when referring to the CDCC getting priority, but I’m sure I mess up and just say “first.” I would say 99% of the time, the CDCC is absolutely the first group.

darkseer
05-15-2021, 10:38 AM

Brian

“Ruining”? I have to comment here. How is more people sharing in our passion a bad thing? The majority here are still able to get the new limiteds at issue due to the relationships with publishers or “rights”. Our collections have risen in value because of the new collectors. That’s a bad thing? I think it’s great there are new young up and coming collectors that are here for when the older generations of collectors stop collecting. It’s happening now... and there is new blood to hold onto your treasures. I think that comment is sad... and really makes me shake my head as to why we all wouldn’t embrace those “Facebook collectors “. It’s insulting I think.... cause nothing makes us here ANY better than them... other than have been around longer. I have a real sense of pride for the work I’ve done on those platforms, helping new collectors and sharing the wisdom I’ve learned over the years. I hope that community thrives because sadly this one is slowing down day by day. It’s the way of the future for collectibles (not just king). No change isn’t always the greatest... but in this case? I cannot see why anyone would not welcome these changes. It would break my heart if there was no new collectors to pass my collection off to someday. The joy that brings to get an item? We all know it well and while your getting FAR more for your collection now when you do sell them someday and pass that joy on... I wonder if you will feel the same way then?🤔🤔🤔🤔

Very well said.

Brian James Freeman
05-15-2021, 11:12 AM
I think anyone who wants to join the family of SK collectors should be welcomed, but I get what others are saying, re: the impact of Facebook on the hobby. I also wonder how many of these new collectors will stick around? Is this a bubble? I have no clue! But I enjoy the discussion, and different POVs!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
05-15-2021, 11:21 AM
Good news for those who ordered CUJO because they found it on the site or someone shared a link, etc

I’m out camping this weekend, but luckily I have a cell signal! While digging through the orders and organizing them, I discovered something very helpful. We have “extra” copies of THE DEAD ZONE left to sell due to collectors “dropping out” of collecting these PS Pub editions, and the math works out almost perfectly that we have enough “extra” of CUJO for these unexpected orders for CUJO. If you emailed Mindy to cancel your CUJO order after you saw the previous conversation, feel free to write her and let her know you still want it, especially if you missed out at PS Pub directly.

For future books of this nature, we will just switch to using a locked page that requires a password, so there is no possibility of misunderstandings. :)

I’m calling it a day on my phone because I’m tired typing on it, ha! But please feel free to share this information to any other groups who might need to know. Thank you!

Brian

Edited because my tired fingers typed the wrong title in at least one place. Ha

swintek
05-15-2021, 11:39 AM

Brian

Yeah, I knew I shouldn't have made a cranky late night Post Bourbon generalization on a messageboard. Well, I'll have to stand by it then. I am sorry that you took offense to it, though, as I know you are very passionate about book collecting, and very helpful to anyone who asks. I've no problem with you, Kris, or Jeff, or most of the fine folks who've been here, and been around, and indeed- any of the new passionate Book Freaks who happen to use FB for their book collecting information and networking. Hell, I use it myself. But- I do think we come at book collecting in very different ways, Kris, and that's ok.

My comment has more to do with the sudden HUGE influx of Pandemic-Related Disposable Income Collectors Boom folks over there who have been driving up prices- in a lot of cases irresponsibly so- and making it nearly impossible for us long-timers to get the books we want anymore. I disagree that this is "good" for our hobby, but the good news is- I think it's temporary. I think a lot of these newer folks are going to move on, like the Sports Card Folks did years ago (even that's back now- see "Disposable Income" above). I've been in this great little niche a very long time and I disagree that it was "dying" before the Pandemic Boom. New blood in, new blood out, every few years, always the same. I don't place my enjoyment of collecting on how much more money my books are currently "worth". I know you don't either, despite what you said above. But, my enjoyment has diminished by not being able to secure books that I previously had been able to, and seeing a huge amount of immediate flipping for instant profit and a lot of hyped FOMO buying, which I do not think is healthy or good for our hobby.

And, I don't know, I just look at it like: if you were serious and passionate about all the really good and fun aspects of genre small press book collecting- you'd be here, with all of us fine folks! FB just has too many eyeballs, and I think there's a sweet spot of number of collectors to keep it fun for all. Just my cranky old Get Off MY Lawn opinion, though.

MLG
05-15-2021, 04:32 PM
I personally have much greater concerns about Facebooks impact on society as a whole than I do its effect on a hobby. I chose not to participate in Facebook and for that I have missed out on opportunities to acquire some books I would love to have. That is my decision and is a price I have no issue paying to remain outside of the echo chamber that is Facebook.

Kingfan24
05-15-2021, 06:24 PM

Brian

Yeah, I knew I shouldn't have made a cranky late night Post Bourbon generalization on a messageboard. Well, I'll have to stand by it then. I am sorry that you took offense to it, though, as I know you are very passionate about book collecting, and very helpful to anyone who asks. I've no problem with you, Kris, or Jeff, or most of the fine folks who've been here, and been around, and indeed- any of the new passionate Book Freaks who happen to use FB for their book collecting information and networking. Hell, I use it myself. But- I do think we come at book collecting in very different ways, Kris, and that's ok.

My comment has more to do with the sudden HUGE influx of Pandemic-Related Disposable Income Collectors Boom folks over there who have been driving up prices- in a lot of cases irresponsibly so- and making it nearly impossible for us long-timers to get the books we want anymore. I disagree that this is "good" for our hobby, but the good news is- I think it's temporary. I think a lot of these newer folks are going to move on, like the Sports Card Folks did years ago (even that's back now- see "Disposable Income" above). I've been in this great little niche a very long time and I disagree that it was "dying" before the Pandemic Boom. New blood in, new blood out, every few years, always the same. I don't place my enjoyment of collecting on how much more money my books are currently "worth". I know you don't either, despite what you said above. But, my enjoyment has diminished by not being able to secure books that I previously had been able to, and seeing a huge amount of immediate flipping for instant profit and a lot of hyped FOMO buying, which I do not think is healthy or good for our hobby.

And, I don't know, I just look at it like: if you were serious and passionate about all the really good and fun aspects of genre small press book collecting- you'd be here, with all of us fine folks! FB just has too many eyeballs, and I think there's a sweet spot of number of collectors to keep it fun for all. Just my cranky old Get Off MY Lawn opinion, though.

I think the Facebook group doesn't necesarily ruin the hobby but it DOES have an insane impact on the prices things are going for these days.

DoctorZaius
05-16-2021, 05:48 AM

Brian

I wonder how many of the Facebook collectors you speak of have found their way here? Do you mention this website to them?

webstar1000
05-16-2021, 07:24 AM

Brian

“Ruining”? I have to comment here. How is more people sharing in our passion a bad thing? The majority here are still able to get the new limiteds at issue due to the relationships with publishers or “rights”. Our collections have risen in value because of the new collectors. That’s a bad thing? I think it’s great there are new young up and coming collectors that are here for when the older generations of collectors stop collecting. It’s happening now... and there is new blood to hold onto your treasures. I think that comment is sad... and really makes me shake my head as to why we all wouldn’t embrace those “Facebook collectors “. It’s insulting I think.... cause nothing makes us here ANY better than them... other than have been around longer. I have a real sense of pride for the work I’ve done on those platforms, helping new collectors and sharing the wisdom I’ve learned over the years. I hope that community thrives because sadly this one is slowing down day by day. It’s the way of the future for collectibles (not just king). No change isn’t always the greatest... but in this case? I cannot see why anyone would not welcome these changes. It would break my heart if there was no new collectors to pass my collection off to someday. The joy that brings to get an item? We all know it well and while your getting FAR more for your collection now when you do sell them someday and pass that joy on... I wonder if you will feel the same way then?[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

I wonder how many of the Facebook collectors you speak of have found their way here? Do you mention this website to them?

This gets mentioned A LOT. General feedback is that they find it an “old school” forum. Outdated. This was my first home and where I learned everything so it has a special place in my heart 100%. Some are probably here as guests I would assume as well. The Rare group has 2200 active members and 3200
Or so check the page over the course of a week. 3700 total members.