PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89

webstar1000
03-20-2020, 12:21 PM
Based on your dates, I think you and I have more or less the same titles on preorder, lotuz. :D

I think i might die if TURN DOWN THE LIGHTS ever ships. It will at least make me question who I am. Because for so long I have been The One Who Waits for TURN DOWN THE LIGHTS. I don't know how to be The One Who Holds TURN DOWN THE LIGHTS. My tremendous patience for TDTL has underscored my identity as a collector. Once I have the book, I won't be able to point to Order #218768 from November 22nd 2013 as testimony to my loyalty and self discipline. For that, I'd have to turn to Order #288275 from November 2nd 2015 for FOUR HALLOWEENS 2.

EDIT: I thought FOUR HALLOWEENS was the name of the book, not how long I'd have to wait. God, I hope it doesn't go to FIVE HALLOWEENS.

Brilliant minds, etc....

thedarktower.org-Cemetery-Dance=post961844 (https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?5552-Cemetery-Dance-discussion-thread&p=961844&viewfull=1#post961844)

Hahahaha you were downright clairvoyant in 2015! It's a joke that gets less funny the more Halloweens we pass.

Turn down the lights is my oldest outstanding CD order.

11/11/2013 1 Turn Down the Lights artist edition

2013? You sure that’s the right date. Lol that’s 7 years ago haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-20-2020, 12:24 PM
I did a mental count of how many books I have coming, bought and paid for, from various publishers, and came up with 15, which may or may not be accurate. About 4 of them are from Cemetery Dance (including one slipcase). To me, that's not too bad. The other publishers are Subterranean Press, PS Publishing, Meteor House, Charnel House and Suntup Press.

Out of 34 preorders:
19 Cemetery Dance
6 Suntup
5 SST
2 DRP
1 SubPress
1 PS

I forgot the one from SST! Make that 16 now!

Munnecom
03-20-2020, 12:31 PM
Out of 34 preorders:
19 Cemetery Dance
6 Suntup
5 SST
2 DRP
1 SubPress
1 PS

CD
Usher's Passing
Night Shift
Suffer the Children

Suntup
The Time Machine
The Invisible Man
The War of the Worlds
Red Dragon
Fahrenheit 451
I Am Legend

SST
Blood and Lemonade
The Cabin at the End of the World
Growing Things
Westlake Soul
The Silence

DRP
Offspring

SubPress
Dead Astronauts

PS
The Dead Zone

How many did I get right? :P

lotuz
03-20-2020, 12:46 PM
Based on your dates, I think you and I have more or less the same titles on preorder, lotuz. :D

Well, I do you know you to be a man of excellent taste :thumbsup:

Out of 34 preorders:
19 Cemetery Dance
6 Suntup
5 SST
2 DRP
1 SubPress
1 PS

Counting different editions of the same book (Gift, Numbered, Lettered) as individual pre-orders, as they almost always ship separately:

40 total pre-orders
15 Sub Press (11 of these ordered in 2020 - they started this year with a bang)
13 Cemetery Dance
9 Suntup
2 Charnel House
1 DRP

Hunchback Jack
03-20-2020, 12:50 PM
I have roughly 12 CD books, roughly 15 SubPress, and roughly 8 Suntups on order.

jeffingoff
03-20-2020, 01:09 PM

I think i might die if TURN DOWN THE LIGHTS ever ships. It will at least make me question who I am. Because for so long I have been The One Who Waits for TURN DOWN THE LIGHTS. I don't know how to be The One Who Holds TURN DOWN THE LIGHTS. My tremendous patience for TDTL has underscored my identity as a collector. Once I have the book, I won't be able to point to Order #218768 from November 22nd 2013 as testimony to my loyalty and self discipline. For that, I'd have to turn to Order #288275 from November 2nd 2015 for FOUR HALLOWEENS 2.

EDIT: I thought FOUR HALLOWEENS was the name of the book, not how long I'd have to wait. God, I hope it doesn't go to FIVE HALLOWEENS.

That was damned funny, Jeff.

(I got you beat though - my oldest order is from October 2012. I am also waiting for Turn Down the Lights, though)

WOW. That's a contest I wouldn't want to win.

It was fun to go through all my preorders and get a tally. And to see how reckless I've been with my money. As far as CD goes, here's the list:

1. TURN DOWN FOR WHAT NOVEMBER 2013
2. FOUR HALLOWEENS 2 NOV 2015
3. NIGHT SHIFT JUNE 2016
4. NEW CEMETERY DANCE BOOK CLUB (6 BOOKS) AUGUST 2016
5. SHIVERS 8 SEPTEMBER 2016
6. STRANGE WEATHER SEPTEMBER 2017
7. 2 EDITIONS OF AN UNANNOUNCED BOOK JANUARY 2018
8. FLIGHT OR FRIGHT MARCH 2018
9. FORTHCOMING GRAB BAG MAY 2018
10. USHERS PASSING JULY 2018
11. SOUTHERN REACH TRILOGY DECEMBER 2018
12. TOMORROW’S JOURNAL JANUARY 2019
13. CEMETERY DANCE SELECT JEFF STRAND FEBRUARY 2019
14. BEST OF CEMETERY DANCE 2 MARCH 2019
15. GWENDY’S MAGIC FEATHER MAY 2019
16. JANE GOES NORTH SEPTEMBER 2019
17. TOUCH THE NIGHT DECEMBER 2019
18. MIDNIGHT UNDER THE BIG TOP X2 FEBRUARY 2020
19. THE RED CHURCH MARCH 2020

jeffingoff
03-20-2020, 01:14 PM
Out of 34 preorders:
19 Cemetery Dance
6 Suntup
5 SST
2 DRP
1 SubPress
1 PS

CD
Usher's Passing
Night Shift
Suffer the Children

Suntup
The Time Machine
The Invisible Man
The War of the Worlds
Red Dragon
Fahrenheit 451
I Am Legend

SST
Blood and Lemonade
The Cabin at the End of the World
Growing Things
Westlake Soul
The Silence

DRP
Offspring

SubPress
Dead Astronauts

PS
The Dead Zone

How many did I get right? :P

THAT'S SCARY. GODDAMNED SCARY! The only book you got wrong is Suffer the Children--I didn't choose to buy that one but I am getting it as part of a package deal.
You got the SubPress and PS books and SST books spot on.
I'm also getting Malorie from DRP.

EDIT and of course you got the Suntups right.

Munnecom
03-20-2020, 01:21 PM
Malorie isn't up for pre-order yet, is it?

Tony Two-Cent
03-20-2020, 01:35 PM
The delay of Usher's Passing continues to be a real head-scratcher for me. McCammon is an A-List author and the signature sheets were done by November of 2018. I just don't get it.

racerx45
03-20-2020, 01:37 PM
Looks like I am part of this club too.
Of the 22 books I have on order the oldest is The Damnation Game - Nov, 2013. I also didn't count some of the old book club books that haven't shipped.

lotuz
03-20-2020, 01:40 PM
Of the 22 books I have on order the oldest is The Damnation Game - Nov, 2013. I also didn't count some of the old book club books that haven't shipped.

The Damnation Game was released! At the very beginning of 2017. So at least now you can wonder if you received it and forgot, or if something happened to your order...

Fun note: The Damnation Game is how I first heard of CD and was my first order from them. It's my favorite Barker book!

jeffingoff
03-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Malorie isn't up for pre-order yet, is it?

No it was a little deal I struck with Chris Morey during a Kickstarter campaign

jeffingoff
03-20-2020, 01:46 PM

The Damnation Game was released! At the very beginning of 2017. So at least now you can wonder if you received it and forgot, or if something happened to your order...

Fun note: The Damnation Game is how I first heard of CD and was my first order from them. It's my favorite Barker book!

It's an incredible book and my first Barker read. I have the CD edition and it's lovely.

racerx45
03-20-2020, 02:16 PM

It's an incredible book and my first Barker read. I have the CD edition and it's lovely.

The Lettered is still "in production” ...

herbertwest
03-20-2020, 02:38 PM
Not that I am recommending it, but people boycotting the purchase of Chizmar books (with a specific note indicating why you are not buying the book) would send a clear message.

I personally find that book ininteresting.
Especially since that most of it is already available, for free, on the skrevisited website.

herbertwest
03-20-2020, 02:40 PM

That was damned funny, Jeff.

(I got you beat though - my oldest order is from October 2012. I am also waiting for Turn Down the Lights, though)

WOW. That's a contest I wouldn't want to win.

It was fun to go through all my preorders and get a tally. And to see how reckless I've been with my money. As far as CD goes, here's the list:

1. TURN DOWN FOR WHAT NOVEMBER 2013
2. FOUR HALLOWEENS 2 NOV 2015
3. NIGHT SHIFT JUNE 2016
4. NEW CEMETERY DANCE BOOK CLUB (6 BOOKS) AUGUST 2016
5. SHIVERS 8 SEPTEMBER 2016
6. STRANGE WEATHER SEPTEMBER 2017
7. 2 EDITIONS OF AN UNANNOUNCED BOOK JANUARY 2018
8. FLIGHT OR FRIGHT MARCH 2018
9. FORTHCOMING GRAB BAG MAY 2018
10. USHERS PASSING JULY 2018
11. SOUTHERN REACH TRILOGY DECEMBER 2018
12. TOMORROW’S JOURNAL JANUARY 2019
13. CEMETERY DANCE SELECT JEFF STRAND FEBRUARY 2019
14. BEST OF CEMETERY DANCE 2 MARCH 2019
15. GWENDY’S MAGIC FEATHER MAY 2019
16. JANE GOES NORTH SEPTEMBER 2019
17. TOUCH THE NIGHT DECEMBER 2019
18. MIDNIGHT UNDER THE BIG TOP X2 FEBRUARY 2020
19. THE RED CHURCH MARCH 2020

Besides the number of books, you guys should maybe look at the total value of the waited books.
I think that it was Mr Rabbit Trick that said a few months ago that he prefers keeping his money and buy them on the secondary market (for roughly the original price) once they're out

Randall Flagg
03-20-2020, 02:46 PM
Not that I am recommending it, but people boycotting the purchase of Chizmar books (with a specific note indicating why you are not buying the book) would send a clear message.

I personally find that book ininteresting.
Especially since that most of it is already available, for free, on the skrevisited website.
I agree. I was saying people should boycott EVERY Chizmar book to send a message.

lotuz
03-20-2020, 02:52 PM

Oh damn(ation game)! I didn't even think about that :doh:

And of course you would know that the numbered was already released then :blush:

Hunchback Jack
03-20-2020, 03:56 PM
The delay of Usher's Passing continues to be a real head-scratcher for me. McCammon is an A-List author and the signature sheets were done by November of 2018. I just don't get it.

I think there were unique challenges with this book as it was difficult getting an accurate source for the text. So more cycles of proofreading and corrections were needed.

HBJ

sentinel
03-20-2020, 04:02 PM
Some of us waited like 10 years for Legacies!

racerx45
03-20-2020, 04:37 PM

Oh damn(ation game)! I didn't even think about that :doh:

And of course you would know that the numbered was already released then :blush:

Honestly, I have kind of forgotten (or maybe I'm blocking it out) that it took 4 years for the numbered to be published and then 3 more years and counting for the lettered. The funny part is I still remember that I was super stoked that I was buying a lettered directly from CD instead of the secondary market.:panic:

Brian James Freeman
03-20-2020, 06:52 PM
I'm happy to provide some information on the topics raised that I do have information about. Sorry I don't have exact numbers for some of this, the office's big white board is 90 miles from my house at the moment!

The Damnation Game traycases are being made right now, and we were hoping to have them in May. Now I'm not sure of that date given the state of the world, but since our case maker is a one man shop, I'm hoping he can keep on working, assuming the place he gets his materials from stays open, etc.

A general note about the Lettered Editions: this was definitely a real problem area that we've been addressing, and we've shipped the Lettered Editions for something like 80 titles over the last three years. We don't make a big deal out of it as these batches go out because it is embarrassing that we're so far behind, but we've been steadily working on this aspect of the business, and we're down to "just" 10 or so old titles that need cases. That's still 10 too many, yes, but we're almost there, and we are on track to be caught up this year.

Usher's Passing was a weird, special situation. The file we received -- NOT from Rick -- for the text turned out to have a lot of problems that our first proofreader brought to our attention. To get the text correct, we had one of our outside copyeditors go through the text line by line to compare it to a previously published edition. That process and the subsequent proofreading is done, and now the book is in our backlogged queue for the printer.

I know you all know about the printer going out of business with Sleeping Beauties on their press, and then the next printer going out of business as they were printing Sleeping Beauties, etc, etc, and how that completely wrecked our plans for 2018 and 2019, but I've never really discussed what those plans were. A big part of that is because I absolutely hate telling you guys a pub date or plan that ends up not happening. Drives me completely nuts. Drives you nuts, too! (I know!!) But the real short version is we were gearing up to do with the older preorders what we were doing with the Lettered Editions: a sustained, constant push to get caught up. Losing two printers like that really cost us a significant amount of time and money.

That said, the plan was still a good plan, which is why we started 2020 with it ready to go. We've recently sent a dozen books to the printer including some way overdue titles like The Best of Cemetery Dance 2. We have to keep a balance of new and old for cash flow and contractual reasons, but there are some books that are "higher" priorities for us (and you, I bet!) that we're focused on for this year since it'll take two to three years to fully catch-up, just like the Lettered Editions.

Something to note about when we publish one of Richard's books, the money that he would have earned as the author or editor go right back into the business, along with the profit margins. He isn't exactly hurting for places to publish his work these days, you know? He says "no, sorry" weekly to other publishers who would happily give him an appropriate advance and royalties for his books. But when CD publishes his books, that's a lot better for the company than if he was to publish with someone else and then roll their payments to him into the business.

I believe those of you who have been with us this long know we're all trying our best. There are certain aspects of the business model I've come to really dislike, and I do make my feelings known for what that's worth. I also try to put my money where my mouth is by running LetterPress Publications (TV ad announcer voice: "where you can preorder (https://letterpresspublications.com/store/revival-artwork-portfolio-limited/) the Deluxe Limited Edition Artwork Portfolio for Revival TODAY with no money down, that's right, you don't pay until the product is in hand, wowza folks, read all the details (https://letterpresspublications.com/store/revival-artwork-portfolio-limited/) before time runs out!") the way I WANT the world to work.

One final thought: CD has a BIG customer list -- something Kris always notes when our auctions go crazy, haha! -- and many of those collectors have been with us for a very long time and are very loyal. We do NOT take that for granted. Without their support and love for the press, we'd have nothing to do... or at least a lot more free time on our hands!

So, we really do want to do better for all of you. It's just going to take a few years to fully catch up, and I know for some of you that time frame will be testing your patience. I hope you'll stick around because I think you'll love the books you've ordered, but no one is obligated to keep a preorder, obviously. If you're sick of us, if the long waits are giving you an ulcer, please just drop Mindy a line. We're not going to give you a hard time over canceling your order! It happens. We'll understand, and we don't take it personally.

Anyway, this has gone on much longer than I planned. I now return you to your 2020 cosplay of The Stand, already in progress.

Best,
Brian

P.S. Speaking of The Stand... our edition came in at the absolutely max bulk size for the printing press, 1200 pages... and proofreading is ongoing at the moment. I think our official announcement of the book, after Night Shift ships, will be more like what you're all hoping to hear from us in terms of announcement to publication timeframes. More on that when we get there.

Brian861
03-20-2020, 10:28 PM
I thought both Lotuz's and Brian's post were very tactful and productive.

As far as preorders, I just go through Camelot and pay if/when it's published for the things that I can. Unfortunately, I have a lot of store credit there (CD) that will just roll back into more store credit if I were to cancel any preorders. I don't have near the number you guys do as my taste is limited.

Brian? Did Rich say if the Gold Seal Series will be moving forward?

Ben Mears
03-21-2020, 03:11 AM
... after Night Shift ships...

When do you anticipate the above happening?

Brian James Freeman
03-21-2020, 07:15 AM
... after Night Shift ships...

When do you anticipate the above happening?

For now, give the state of the world, I'm sticking with the most recent production update:

Night Shift has been started at the printer, and the slipcases and traycases are rolling into production as well. We're not going to announce a publication date just yet because these big Stephen King projects have A LOT of moving parts, and there can be delays, etc. We just don't want to post a date until we're 100% sure of what that date should be, but we did want to let everyone know this one is much closer to publication and will be out this year. Thank you very much for your patience!

Brian James Freeman
03-21-2020, 07:25 AM

I have some ideas for the series, but we'll see what happens. Right now, I'm waiting to hear back if Rich and Steve have discussed the Dark Debts introduction recently. I'll ping Rich again.

Brian

Brian861
03-21-2020, 08:39 AM

I have some ideas for the series, but we'll see what happens. Right now, I'm waiting to hear back if Rich and Steve have discussed the Dark Debts introduction recently. I'll ping Rich again.

Brian

Thank you.

St. Troy
03-21-2020, 11:31 AM
...Speaking of The Stand... our edition came in at the absolutely max bulk size for the printing press, 1200 pages... and proofreading is ongoing at the moment. I think our official announcement of the book, after Night Shift ships, will be more like what you're all hoping to hear from us in terms of announcement to publication timeframes. More on that when we get there.

I think I'm gonna need a cold shower. :drool:

Tony Two-Cent
03-22-2020, 05:02 AM

I think there were unique challenges with this book as it was difficult getting an accurate source for the text. So more cycles of proofreading and corrections were needed.

HBJ

Yeah, I had read that on CD's production updates page. I just wish these issues would be resolved before the books are announced and made available for pre-order. And to echo everyone else's sentiments, this is not directed at Brian, Dan or Mindy, who have always done an amazing job and have gone way above the call of duty.

St. Troy
03-22-2020, 07:26 AM
Speaking of The Stand... our edition came in at the absolutely max bulk size for the printing press, 1200 pages...

Brian-

Will you be using the thinner paper stock that was used for It (which had, I believe, 1,052 pages)?

I know it's still very early days for The Stand, but I wonder how The Stand will compare, thickness-wise with CD's Salem's Lot (which I use for comparison because it's the thickest CD edition I have).

For that matter: question for Brian or for anyone who owns both Salem's Lot and It from CD: how do their thicknesses compare?

I love big books.

Brian James Freeman
03-22-2020, 08:35 AM
Speaking of The Stand... our edition came in at the absolutely max bulk size for the printing press, 1200 pages...

Brian-

Will you be using the thinner paper stock that was used for It (which had, I believe, 1,052 pages)?

I know it's still very early days for The Stand, but I wonder how The Stand will compare, thickness-wise with CD's Salem's Lot (which I use for comparison because it's the thickest CD edition I have).

For that matter: question for Brian or for anyone who owns both Salem's Lot and It from CD: how do their thicknesses compare?

I love big books.

Yeah, for one volume, we would need to go with the same stock as IT. Or we could go TALISMAN style and split the book into two volumes, keeping with the same paper stock. We probably wouldn’t go with three volumes since Pete just did that, and we don’t want to step on his toes.

Brian

webstar1000
03-22-2020, 09:01 AM

Brian-

I love big books.

Yeah, for one volume, we would need to go with the same stock as IT. Or we could go TALISMAN style and split the book into two volumes, keeping with the same paper stock. We probably wouldn’t go with three volumes since Pete just did that, and we don’t want to step on his toes.

Brian

I’d like to see a cool
Traycase with a book on either side and a vial in between that houses a liquid or something with a hazmat sign on it. That be soooo cool.

St. Troy
03-22-2020, 09:30 AM
...Or we could go TALISMAN style and split the book into two volumes...

Is this option still on the table (the decision has yet to be made)?

I suppose I prefer a single giant beast of a book, but I’m intrigued by the possibilities opened by a super-thick two-volume edition.

Randall Flagg
03-22-2020, 10:18 AM
I’d like to see a cool
Traycase with a book on either side and a vial in between that houses a liquid or something with a hazmat sign on it. That be soooo cool.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1458859704-Stand%20Uncut%20Peter%20Case%20lock%20side.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1458859690-Stand%20Schneider%20w%20book.JPG

webstar1000
03-22-2020, 10:19 AM
I’d like to see a cool

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1458859704-Stand%20Uncut%20Peter%20Case%20lock%20side.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1458859690-Stand%20Schneider%20w%20book.JPG

I was never a fan of that one. I remember it will but the wood threw me off maybe? Not sure

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-22-2020, 11:15 AM
I never saw that before; pretty nifty in my opinion!
Is that serum still viable?

Randall Flagg
03-22-2020, 11:29 AM
I’d like to see a cool

I was never a fan of that one. I remember it will but the wood threw me off maybe? Not sure

The CD case (traycase?) need not be wood, but the syringe, and things in the door could be incorporated.

BTW, the idea for this came from Peter Schneider. Stroppygoblin did a lot of mock-up, and of course Dolso built the case.

George at C-Springs
03-22-2020, 11:43 AM
Just picked up the Blood & Smoke set of audio cassettes that CD put up on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153873722559

First audio tapes I've ever picked up, never had much interest but pretty good deal for $8 I think and presents well in the cigarette box. My question is, do we have an audio thread in here somewhere? I went through all 14 pages here in the Corner but didn't see one. Thought maybe in Collectible Items or Short Works but nope. Gotta be here somewhere …..

Randall Flagg
03-22-2020, 12:46 PM
Just picked up the Blood & Smoke set of audio cassettes that CD put up on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153873722559

First audio tapes I've ever picked up, never had much interest but pretty good deal for $8 I think and presents well in the cigarette box. My question is, do we have an audio thread in here somewhere? I went through all 14 pages here in the Corner but didn't see one. Thought maybe in Collectible Items or Short Works but nope. Gotta be here somewhere …..

Stephen King Audiobooks/Ebooks - All Formats (https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?9214-Stephen-King-Audiobooks-Ebooks-All-Formats)

George at C-Springs
03-22-2020, 01:49 PM
Thank you Jerome!

Tommy
03-23-2020, 06:30 AM
Probably stupid of me to ask but that syringe looks like the insulin needles I used on my father. I still have a full box somewhere I kept for some reason after he died. Are they actual functional syringes or are they affixed to the case?

Randall Flagg
03-23-2020, 07:32 AM
Probably stupid of me to ask but that syringe looks like the insulin needles I used on my father. I still have a full box somewhere I kept for some reason after he died. Are they actual functional syringes or are they affixed to the case?
It's a functional syringe, and yes it's an insulin syringe. I'm not sure how securely it is affixed to the case.

Tommy
03-23-2020, 07:38 AM
It's a functional syringe, and yes it's an insulin syringe. I'm not sure how securely it is affixed to the case.

Thanks for the reply. Cool concept. In the process of giving my father injections over the years and my bad eyesight, I did manage to jab myself a few times with those syringes. I hope anyone with one of those cases is careful!

webstar1000
03-23-2020, 08:00 AM
Brian, you think you could do something cool like that for the numbered Stands?

Tommy
03-23-2020, 08:03 AM
I DO have a box of syringes still packaged that no one is using.....:orely:

Brian James Freeman
03-23-2020, 08:26 AM

It's a neat idea. Very Charnel House like.

webstar1000
03-23-2020, 08:37 AM

It's a neat idea. Very Charnel House like.

Yeah agree. I think it would be super cool if you guys could pull it off:)

Tommy
03-23-2020, 09:09 AM

Did this make me sound like a dealer of drugs/paraphernalia or what?? :rofl:

Brian861
03-23-2020, 10:30 AM

Are you Breaking Bad, Tommy? lol.

Tommy
03-23-2020, 10:57 AM

psssst....Yo CD, looking for some needles? I got the best in town, clean and unused, hit me up yo!! :evil:

K, I will stop now, sorry Brian and everyone!

jeffingoff
03-23-2020, 11:03 AM

psssst....Yo CD, looking for some needles? I got the best in town, clean and unused, hit me up yo!! :evil:

K, I will stop now, sorry Brian and everyone!

I woudn't think I could find humor with black market syringes for a book about a global pandemic during the reign of coronavirus, but here I am, laughing in my basement.

George at C-Springs
03-26-2020, 02:11 PM
This one just arrived, got it for my daughter Sydney (thus the Letter S), she's going to love it. Well done Brian!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200326_155521.png

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200326_155446.png

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200326_155554.png

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-26-2020, 02:35 PM
Nice artwork.

Garrell
03-26-2020, 06:05 PM
Love it!!!

kingfan2323
03-26-2020, 06:38 PM
Should be proud, Brian. Looks really cool.

seeking: anything #246 Dark Tower

Brian861
03-26-2020, 09:48 PM
Awesome Lettered! I have something coming tomorrow. I wonder if that is it.

webstar1000
03-27-2020, 04:10 AM
That is very cool!!!!

George at C-Springs
03-27-2020, 04:20 PM
Crap, forgot to upload the remarque:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200327_181734.png

Brian861
03-27-2020, 10:00 PM
Received mine yesterday and it's nice!

George at C-Springs
03-28-2020, 11:00 AM

I really like that it's full color all the way through. What letter and what remarque did you get?

Ari_Racing
03-28-2020, 02:50 PM
Nice!

Brian861
03-28-2020, 07:35 PM

I really like that it's full color all the way through. What letter and what remarque did you get?

Mine's a PC as I received it for supporting Brian on Patreon. My Remarque is of the boy and dog standing just inside their barn. I'll try and post it soon.

Patrick
03-28-2020, 10:40 PM
I’d like to see a cool

Oh man! I forgot about this case. I love it.

This one just arrived, got it for my daughter Sydney (thus the Letter S), she's going to love it. Well done Brian!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200326_155521.png

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200326_155446.png

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200326_155554.png

Crap, forgot to upload the remarque:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/20200327_181734.png
Congrats, George! That is really nice!

Brian861
03-29-2020, 09:29 AM

Mine's a PC as I received it for supporting Brian on Patreon. My Remarque is of the boy and dog standing just inside their barn. I'll try and post it soon.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/903/IMG_53121.JPG

Ari_Racing
04-01-2020, 01:18 PM
Brian, don't forget about me! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A

Brian James Freeman
04-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Brian, don't forget about me! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A

replied!

Ari_Racing
04-01-2020, 01:52 PM
Awesome! Thanks!

Nemoh21
04-10-2020, 03:04 AM
Is there any artwork available to preview for seasons of terror? Or do we know a possible release date?

herbertwest
04-10-2020, 05:24 AM
I believe that the plan is an october release date, to meet with the Gallery 13 release (october 13th according to amazon)

kingfan2323
04-13-2020, 11:51 AM
Is King going to write, print, and release a new book before CD can make/ship a slipcase for his last one?

Garrell
04-13-2020, 12:17 PM
That is affirmative

firemonkey66
04-13-2020, 12:29 PM
Is King going to write, print, and release a new book before CD can make/ship a slipcase for his last one?

Since I paid for my lettered CD Night Shift, another publisher has designed, published, and shipped a signed lettered Night Shift of their own. Mildly frustrating, to say the least.

Brian James Freeman
04-13-2020, 02:16 PM

Fun fact: King very rarely does the printing himself these days...

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-13-2020, 02:20 PM
And I thought King was a true Renaissance man!

Brian James Freeman
04-14-2020, 08:23 AM
Is there any artwork available to preview for seasons of terror? Or do we know a possible release date?

I am working on an artwork preview now. This one is a little tricky because I'd like to show off the finished lettered pages and actually have them be readable, so I might create a new kind of gallery on the site to do that. Still waiting on approval for which pages I can show since we're trying not to step on the trade publisher's toes!

As for the pub date, the original plan was to aim for around the time of the trade publication this fall. That said, our full-color printer that can handle this trim size is currently closed by order of their state's governor. Our main printer can do full-color at one of their plants, but the trim size would need to reduced. This can be done, but will the results be what we want? The signature sheets for the signed editions would also need to be trimmed smaller, so is there room to do that? Lots of questions, which are all moot of course if the printer we want to use has re-opened in June!

We're not even sure if the planned pub date for the trade edition is staying the same. LOTS of things are in flux in New York at the moment. Many of the usual promotional channels that they'd be working with on their fall plans are not available. We've also heard that (big huge printing corporation that handles the trade book printing for 50% of all the New York publishers) is having trouble getting enough paper for their May jobs. So... the Magic 8 Ball is returning this a lot at the moment:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/magic8ball404error.jpg

Best,
Brian

DanHocker
04-14-2020, 08:47 AM

Since I paid for my lettered CD Night Shift, another publisher has designed, published, and shipped a signed lettered Night Shift of their own. Mildly frustrating, to say the least.

I mean you all know what our holdups with Night Shift have been. We'd have loved for this to have been out much sooner, but our printer problems dis proportionally effect the Stephen King books because they're bigger, fancier, and have more features than our typical product. We could certainly have dropped some of those features to get these printed sooner, but they we'd have people complaining that we didn't give them what was promised or ruined the integrity of the "set". In the end with the Doubleday Years series we'd rather eat the delays for the series and keep the set cohesion than change the product midway through the series.

Brian James Freeman
04-14-2020, 09:31 AM
For those who are waiting on the slipcase for The Institute, I received an update this morning that I wanted to pass along. The slipcase maker is running at about 50% right now due to staffers being out sick, etc. They anticipate having the slipcases completed by the end of May, which would give us a June ship date. If this timetable changes, I will post another update. Thank you for your patience!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-14-2020, 11:22 AM
For those who wanted to know how things are going with the new printers we started working with last year:

Earlier this year, The Chrysalis and Mystery Road were published two months early due to a faster than expected turnaround time, and now The Bank by Bentley Little is shipping a couple of weeks early.

There have been three other titles published this year that weren't publicly announced until they were in-stock, and they were also ahead of the planned schedule.

One of our oldest preorders, The Best of Cemetery Dance 2, is moving ahead of schedule at the printer and we could have the trade edition in June (planned date was late August).

Night Shift is on time at the printer, and the books should be done in June. (Slipcases and traycases are another matter, unfortunately, and I don't have an updated delivery date on those yet, but I will share it when I have it... That's why we're sticking with a more general 2020 pub date instead of giving a specific month yet because there are still various factors out of our control...)

As you know, we cannot just "stop" publishing new books and books that have been contracted in the time since some of the older titles you're waiting on, but we're working hard to get the older titles into the schedule as soon as they are ready to go.

There are a few more older titles that are now ready to go, and the plan is to get them to one printer in June and July as they finish other jobs we have with them. That plan depends on the printer running all of their shifts, not having to close due to quarantines, etc. (One printer that just finished their first job for us let us know they're closing until at least May 15. So, we'll have to see how things are going.)

More updates to come as I have them!

Best,
Brian

Ari_Racing
04-15-2020, 05:08 AM
Thanks, Brian! :)

ICry4Oy
04-15-2020, 07:57 AM

Fun fact: King very rarely does the printing himself these days...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/source.gif

St. Troy
04-15-2020, 08:13 AM

Did you do so back when the Doubleday Years set was first announced? I'm not trying to be Mr. Snark, but if so, there's your reason.

Brian James Freeman
04-15-2020, 08:58 AM

Did you do so back when the Doubleday Years set was first announced? I'm not trying to be Mr. Snark, but if so, there's your reason.

Well, either way, it's way late, so that's 100% on us. I think we've been very upfront about that. We all wanted the book to be done ages ago.

Best,
Brian

sullichin
04-17-2020, 06:39 PM
Will CD be shipping If It Bleeds this/next week?

Brian James Freeman
04-17-2020, 07:37 PM

We are still waiting on our order to arrive. Hoping to see the books in the warehouse by Tuesday. Dan can post when he knows the shipping schedule. We’re running a skeleton crew right now, so I’m not sure how things look and wouldn’t want to guess.

Brian

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-18-2020, 04:11 AM
If I wasn't so depressed about my furnace only working half the time and not getting my $1200 stimulus check yet, I'd make a remark about that 'skeleton crew'.

Splync
04-18-2020, 07:35 AM

We are still waiting on our order to arrive. Hoping to see the books in the warehouse by Tuesday. Dan can post when he knows the shipping schedule. We’re running a skeleton crew right now, so I’m not sure how things look and wouldn’t want to guess.

Brian

Cemetery Dance special edition of Skeleton Crew confirmed! ;-)

In all seriousness though, thank you guys for doing what you can during these times!

Brian James Freeman
04-18-2020, 08:46 AM

:emot-roflolmao:

In all seriousness though, thank you guys for doing what you can during these times!

The big thanks definitely goes to the warehouse staff. They're in there in staggered shifts, some of them doing new things they haven't done before, to try to keep the shipments going out.

Production work and office work were already 90% ready to be done remotely (I live 90 minutes from the CD offices these days, so the logistics were already in place), and those aspects of the business are moving along normally.

But it's tough to send the warehouse guys home with a stack of boxes, a bag of peanuts, and a roll of tape to work remotely! ;)

Brian

Brian861
04-18-2020, 10:30 AM

:emot-roflolmao:

The big thanks definitely goes to the warehouse staff. They're in there in staggered shifts, some of them doing new things they haven't done before, to try to keep the shipments going out.

Production work and office work were already 90% ready to be done remotely (I live 90 minutes from the CD offices these days, so the logistics were already in place), and those aspects of the business are moving along normally.

But it's tough to send the warehouse guys home with a stack of boxes, a bag of peanuts, and a roll of tape to work remotely! ;)

Brian

Built them each a fancy garage like yours. Problem solved :)

Brian James Freeman
04-18-2020, 10:57 AM
It’s true that very few people thought to build their own little garage/warehouse combo just in case of a pandemic... :idea:

andyg75
04-18-2020, 10:58 AM
It’s true that very few people thought to build their own little garage/warehouse combo just in case of a pandemic... :idea:

I thought you all just lived in the vaults of CD, like a little family of vampires or something... 😂😂

Brian861
04-18-2020, 11:00 AM

Prepper or forward thinker :orely:

Brian James Freeman
04-18-2020, 12:54 PM

I thought you all just lived in the vaults of CD, like a little family of vampires or something... 😂😂

In my early days at CD, my wife would drop me off at the office at 6:00 AM, so she could get to her teaching job on time, and then she'd pick me back up around 6:00 PM.... on the days when I arrived in darkness and left in darkness, it kind of felt like living in a vault!

I still remember packing boxes at the break room table and watching Richard's collection of old VHS tapes before the rest of staff arrived. Memento, The Shining, Fight Club... Good times...

DanHocker
04-20-2020, 07:06 AM
Shipping schedule wise (assuming our order for If It Bleeds shows up early this week) we should be starting on If It Bleeds at the end of the week. Since it's not here yet, the guys are wrapping up shipping The Notch today and will be starting on the Full Throttle slipcase tomorrow. We'll ship If It Bleeds as soon as we're done the Full Throttle slipcases (assuming If It Bleeds is here).

Splync
04-20-2020, 07:25 AM
Shipping schedule wise (assuming our order for If It Bleeds shows up early this week) we should be starting on If It Bleeds at the end of the week. Since it's not here yet, the guys are wrapping up shipping The Notch today and will be starting on the Full Throttle slipcase tomorrow. We'll ship If It Bleeds as soon as we're done the Full Throttle slipcases (assuming If It Bleeds is here).

I nearly forgot about the Full Throttle slipcase! Those were simpler times...

You guys never did a slipcase for trade edition of Strange Weather, right?

DanHocker
04-20-2020, 07:55 AM

I nearly forgot about the Full Throttle slipcase! Those were simpler times...

You guys never did a slipcase for trade edition of Strange Weather, right?

Correct.

programmer
04-20-2020, 10:23 AM
to lighten things up, Brian any news about 'the night eternal' ? ;-)
i know you busy with letterpress, but i hope this will finally see the light of day before mid 2020 ?
thanks in advance.

Hey, something I can have good news about! :rock:

The Night Eternal and a surprise project are both just about printer-ready. My personal goal would be for both of these to be rolling at the printer before the formal announcements and preorder listings go out. That way, folks don't have to wait as long as for some of the previous books. :)

Brian

Hi Brian,

Was wondering if this eventually was sent to the printer?

Thanks!

Leo

Brian James Freeman
04-20-2020, 11:20 AM
to lighten things up, Brian any news about 'the night eternal' ? ;-)
i know you busy with letterpress, but i hope this will finally see the light of day before mid 2020 ?
thanks in advance.

Hey, something I can have good news about! :rock:

The Night Eternal and a surprise project are both just about printer-ready. My personal goal would be for both of these to be rolling at the printer before the formal announcements and preorder listings go out. That way, folks don't have to wait as long as for some of the previous books. :)

Brian

Hi Brian,

Was wondering if this eventually was sent to the printer?

Thanks!

Leo

Thanks for asking about these!

They've been patiently waiting on the back burner while I worked out some printer issues (I want The Night Eternal to look like it was printed by the same crew as the others, and the same deal with the "surprise" book since it also creates a "set" of sorts with another previously published book), but assuming the printer I picked for both of these stays open, I think we'll be starting The Night Eternal in mid-June... and hopefully the other book in August.

We'll have to see what is happening in the world. But I'm hopeful right now!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-20-2020, 11:37 AM
Our FULL THROTTLE slipcase (for the US trade hardcover edition) is shipping now, and here is the link for ordering one if you still need one:

https://www.cemeterydance.com/full-throttle-slipcase.html

We really like how this one turned out!

https://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/X_CASES055_405x540.jpg

https://www.cemeterydance.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/X_CASES055photo_540x515.jpg

Brian

Aremag
04-20-2020, 12:03 PM
Looks great!

Garrell
04-20-2020, 12:50 PM
Looks awesome. Can’t wait for mine.

Splync
04-21-2020, 03:20 AM
Another beautiful slipcase!

Brian861
04-21-2020, 11:41 AM
Received the shipping notice this morning.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-23-2020, 04:11 PM
Any idea when I can expect to receive the numbered and lettered editions of the modern masterpiece, GWENDY'S MAGIC FEATHER, with the complementary proof copies (office, and any other obscure editions), arriving on my porch?

Randall Flagg
04-23-2020, 04:21 PM
4/1/2021

sullichin
04-27-2020, 04:06 PM
Got FT slipcase today as well as my shipping notice for If It Bleeds ~

Brian861
04-27-2020, 04:11 PM
Got FT slipcase today as well as my shipping notice for If It Bleeds ~

Received mine as well.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-27-2020, 04:23 PM
Got my IIB shipping notice too, still waiting, very patiently, for Gwendy.

Brian861
04-27-2020, 04:32 PM
Got my IIB shipping notice too, still waiting, very patiently, for Gwendy.

That girl ain't in no hurry. Although, she does seem to run a lot :orely:

Garrell
04-27-2020, 04:56 PM
Beautiful slipcase. Got my FT one also. One of the best you guys have done so far

Brian James Freeman
04-27-2020, 04:57 PM
Beautiful slipcase. Got my FT one also. One of the best you guys have done so far

Thank you!

Aremag
04-27-2020, 05:26 PM
Received my FT slipcase today also and put my Boston event book in it. I should have ordered another one for the other signed FT I have. Also received shipping notice for If It Bleeds...now which will arrive first...my Barnes & Noble or my CD copy?

amd013
04-28-2020, 08:27 AM
Hi Brian,

Can you confirm that the copies of If it Bleeds that you received were first printings? I might not see my copies for a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Mike

Brian James Freeman
04-28-2020, 09:20 AM
Hi Brian,

Can you confirm that the copies of If it Bleeds that you received were first printings? I might not see my copies for a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Mike

Dan can definitely ask the warehouse to double-check a few copies, but as of the week ours shipped to us, we were told there hadn't been a second printing yet.

Brian

amd013
04-28-2020, 09:40 AM
Hi Brian,

Thanks,
Mike

Dan can definitely ask the warehouse to double-check a few copies, but as of the week ours shipped to us, we were told there hadn't been a second printing yet.

Brian

Cool, Thanks

DanHocker
04-28-2020, 10:01 AM
It looks like we got first printings. We're not checking every book, but the ones we've looked at have all been 1sts.

Ari_Racing
04-29-2020, 06:07 AM
Did CD produce The Institute slipcases?
Brian, I sent you an email about a copy of Gwendy's Magic Feather. :)

DanHocker
04-29-2020, 06:13 AM
Did CD produce The Institute slipcases?
Brian, I sent you an email about a copy of Gwendy's Magic Feather. :)

Institute Slipcase is in production currently. Case maker is understandably slow at the moment.

Ari_Racing
04-29-2020, 06:27 AM
Thanks, Dan!

It seems I didn't order any when announced, so I'll be on the lookout for potential extras when produced. :)

kingfan2323
04-30-2020, 10:57 AM
Got my IIB shipping notice too, still waiting, very patiently, for Gwendy.Did people actually get their book shipped yet or just shipping label created so tracking numbers can be issued?

seeking: anything DT related #246

Tony Two-Cent
04-30-2020, 11:18 AM
Got my IIB shipping notice too, still waiting, very patiently, for Gwendy.Did people actually get their book shipped yet or just shipping label created so tracking numbers can be issued?

I got my shipping notice on Monday and my book arrived today.

https://i.ibb.co/xjbgTqg/IF-IT-BLEEDS.jpg

jsweet
04-30-2020, 11:20 AM

Tracking shows mine enroute

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-30-2020, 11:30 AM
You are lucky. An expensive book sent to me April 6th, Media Mail, not from CD, by the way, is stuck in Des Moines Iowa, where they are 10,000 packages a day behind schedule.

daniel_pyle
05-01-2020, 12:28 PM
I got my Full Throttle slipcase too, and I love it! The color of the foil on the lettering is especially nice. I'm bummed there's no Strange Weather slipcase to give me a continuous set from The Fireman on, but I guess that's the epitome of a first-world problem.

:lol:

Brian861
05-01-2020, 01:00 PM
I got my Full Throttle slipcase too, and I love it! The color of the foil on the lettering is especially nice. I'm bummed there's no Strange Weather slipcase to give me a continuous set from The Fireman on, but I guess that's the epitome of a first-world problem.

:lol:

Pretty much. But you among friends here :)

Stockerlone
05-01-2020, 11:06 PM
Clive Barker - Tortured Souls-Infernal Parade
Cemetery Dance Germany
signed limited 321/999

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Barker_Phantoms_Rebecca_Wait_Revival_GRRM_021.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Barker_Phantoms_Rebecca_Wait_Revival_GRRM_022.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Barker_Phantoms_Rebecca_Wait_Revival_GRRM_023.JPG

Cemetery Dance Germany / Festa promo stuff
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Barker_Phantoms_Rebecca_Wait_Revival_GRRM_020.JPG

Garrell
05-02-2020, 08:09 AM
Beautiful Barker book

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-05-2020, 09:01 AM
Got my IF IT BLEEDS today, which is weird, because I received it less than a week after it was mailed, while books sent to me from New York and California up to over a month ago have not. Unfortunately, it's a 'reading copy', with the upper spine a bit crushed and some other minor defects. At least it's a 1st printing. Ah well...

webstar1000
05-05-2020, 09:04 AM
Ordered the Bleeds slipcase!

DanHocker
05-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Got my IF IT BLEEDS today, which is weird, because I received it less than a week after it was mailed, while books sent to me from New York and California up to over a month ago have not. Unfortunately, it's a 'reading copy', with the upper spine a bit crushed and some other minor defects. At least it's a 1st printing. Ah well...

Sorry to hear that. Feel free to email for a replacement. I know there's been more damage than usual on this title from S&S.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-05-2020, 02:19 PM

Sorry to hear that. Feel free to email for a replacement. I know there's been more damage than usual on this title from S&S.

Nah, I'll keep it. I have the mint one from Wal-Mart, of all places, and it's good enough for me. But thanks for the offer.

Ricky
05-08-2020, 01:33 PM
Are there any more Michael Koryta titles to be announced anytime soon?

Brian James Freeman
05-08-2020, 04:31 PM
Are there any more Michael Koryta titles to be announced anytime soon?

Three in production... to be announced once they’re ready for OR at the printer! Thanks for asking. He’s awesome.

Brian

Ricky
05-08-2020, 05:23 PM
I agree. He's one of my favorites. And thanks!

willybusmc
05-11-2020, 06:55 AM
Does anyone here have any experience canceling CD orders? I sent an email to order@cemeterydance.com about a week and a half ago and haven’t heard back. If that’s not abnormal, no problem at all. I just wanted to be sure that I went about it properly and see if anyone has any insight as to the process. Thanks!

Brian James Freeman
05-11-2020, 07:18 AM
Does anyone here have any experience canceling CD orders? I sent an email to order@cemeterydance.com about a week and a half ago and haven’t heard back. If that’s not abnormal, no problem at all. I just wanted to be sure that I went about it properly and see if anyone has any insight as to the process. Thanks!

Mindy usually replies within a few days, but sometimes emails go into the spam folder and we are not the best at digging through there.

Please free to forward your email to me — brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com — and I will check with her!

Thanks!

Brian

willybusmc
05-11-2020, 07:31 AM
Mindy usually replies within a few days, but sometimes emails go into the spam folder and we are not the best at digging through there.

Please free to forward your email to me — brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com — and I will check with her!

Thanks!

Brian

Thanks for the quick reply Brian. I sent that email along to you. And no worries about any delays or anything. I’m not in a rush at all. Much appreciated!

The Library Policeman
05-14-2020, 02:26 PM
Ordered one of these:

https://teespring.com/sb-die-cut-sticker?pid=794&cid=103544

Pretty cool.

DanHocker
05-15-2020, 06:44 AM
Hopefully they come out alright. It took a lot of fooling around in Photoshop to get the file right for that.

Frondz
05-22-2020, 02:42 PM
Hey all! Anyone else go for the 12 month CD book club back in March? Just wondering if May has shipped yet. April's book shipped on the 15th, so I keep expecting to see an email. Maybe Brian, you could give an update? Much appreciated!

Ricky
05-22-2020, 03:27 PM
Any idea when CD might open again to fiction submissions?

DanHocker
05-26-2020, 08:01 AM
Hey all! Anyone else go for the 12 month CD book club back in March? Just wondering if May has shipped yet. April's book shipped on the 15th, so I keep expecting to see an email. Maybe Brian, you could give an update? Much appreciated!

May got a bit bogged down with some other shipping stuff that drug on a bit longer than was ideal and the month ended up getting away from us. Mostly it's Best of CD 2's fault because not only did it fill our storage warehouse, it ended up burying the stuff for the May shipment. Anyways, we'll be done Best of CD 2 this week, then I have 2 urgent other publisher titles that people are jumping for (they should ship quickly), then we'll ship the May and June books at the same time.

programmer
05-27-2020, 09:02 PM

I did a cancellation request today and mindy did cancel and refund it within a few hours.

OldCrow88
05-28-2020, 03:26 AM

May got a bit bogged down with some other shipping stuff that drug on a bit longer than was ideal and the month ended up getting away from us. Mostly it's Best of CD 2's fault because not only did it fill our storage warehouse, it ended up burying the stuff for the May shipment. Anyways, we'll be done Best of CD 2 this week, then I have 2 urgent other publisher titles that people are jumping for (they should ship quickly), then we'll ship the May and June books at the same time.

Hi Dan, certainly willing to offer some slack due to COVID, but...the whole point of a book-of-the-month offer was to have a dependable rhythm of a book every month. I perceived this offer partly as a response to backlogs and uncertainties with other books. Call it a small salve while customers wait years-&-years for other pre-orders. Saying you'll get to the May book AFTER you let 2 other books jump the queue is not a good look. NOTHING at CD runs on time -- this monthly book club was an opportunity to establish an example of dependability in your pipeline. And it's not off to a good start.

frik
05-28-2020, 04:13 AM
Does anyone here have any experience canceling CD orders?

Is never a problem - always quick and hassle-free - and no questions asked.
If there's a delay in getting back to you - sure there are logistic reasons.

Sure Mindy will be in touch - if she hasn't already.

sk

DanHocker
05-28-2020, 06:08 AM

Hi Dan, certainly willing to offer some slack due to COVID, but...the whole point of a book-of-the-month offer was to have a dependable rhythm of a book every month. I perceived this offer partly as a response to backlogs and uncertainties with other books. Call it a small salve while customers wait years-&-years for other pre-orders. Saying you'll get to the May book AFTER you let 2 other books jump the queue is not a good look. NOTHING at CD runs on time -- this monthly book club was an opportunity to establish an example of dependability in your pipeline. And it's not off to a good start.

I understand what you're saying, but we do what we can. There's only soo many hours in the day to ship books, and something is always more important than something else in the shipping queue. We have to choose the shipping order that's going to annoy less people. Most people won't care that they'll get 2 books in June instead. But people have been emailing every day since Borderlands released their Little McCammon book asking when their book is shipping, and people have been canceling their SK Calendar orders for months because of some delays Overlook ran into. This will probably happen the other way as well, where (for example) I send 2 books in month 4 and none in month 5, if I know month 5 is going to be really really busy. I'm sorry you're disappointed, but this is going to happen. We only have one full time person and a part time person in the warehouse. Some months there just won't be enough time to do it all.

Roseannebarr
05-28-2020, 07:15 AM

I understand what you're saying, but we do what we can. There's only soo many hours in the day to ship books, and something is always more important than something else in the shipping queue. We have to choose the shipping order that's going to annoy less people. Most people won't care that they'll get 2 books in June instead. But people have been emailing every day since Borderlands released their Little McCammon book asking when their book is shipping, and people have been canceling their SK Calendar orders for months because of some delays Overlook ran into. This will probably happen the other way as well, where (for example) I send 2 books in month 4 and none in month 5, if I know month 5 is going to be really really busy. I'm sorry you're disappointed, but this is going to happen. We only have one full time person and a part time person in the warehouse. Some months there just won't be enough time to do it all.

When i open up my specialty bookstore, I will NOT:

Number Books!
Start a Monthly Subscription Service! and/or book of the month club.
Offer Limited Signed books by Dean Koontz. I loved the ODD Thomas series to a point then i got tired of it.

I will:

Steal Mindy away from CD and pay her lots of $$.
Only publish King books (signed by King of course)
Only sell the books to me and a select few friends so we can corner the market on King books.
Attempt to publish on time.
Collect the $$ for the books only when they are ready to ship.

DanHocker
05-28-2020, 08:23 AM

When i open up my specialty bookstore, I will NOT:

Number Books!
Start a Monthly Subscription Service! and/or book of the month club.
Offer Limited Signed books by Dean Koontz. I loved the ODD Thomas series to a point then i got tired of it.

I will:

Steal Mindy away from CD and pay her lots of $$.
Only publish King books (signed by King of course)
Only sell the books to me and a select few friends so we can corner the market on King books.
Attempt to publish on time.
Collect the $$ for the books only when they are ready to ship.

Boy you have no idea how much I wish I could never number a book again. I honestly think they cause more headaches then they add value, but I know generally collectors prefer the numbering.

RichardX
05-28-2020, 11:10 AM

Reminds me of the old Stephen Wright joke:

I went down the street to the 24-hour grocery. When I got there, the guy was locking the front door. I said, 'Hey, the sign says you're open 24 hours.' He said, 'Yes, but not in a row.'

jeffingoff
05-28-2020, 12:44 PM

Reminds me of the old Stephen Wright joke:

I went down the street to the 24-hour grocery. When I got there, the guy was locking the front door. I said, 'Hey, the sign says you're open 24 hours.' He said, 'Yes, but not in a row.'

LOVE Steven Wright! Same him perform on Navy Pier years ago. The man is a genius.

St. Troy
05-28-2020, 06:45 PM
LOVE Steven Wright!...The man is a genius.

+1

ICry4Oy
05-29-2020, 09:26 AM
Don't want to start a bitchfest but was wondering if this is still timely news?

Night Shift will be done at the printer in JUNE

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-29-2020, 09:49 AM
June comes every year.

Nemoh21
05-29-2020, 09:55 AM
June comes every year.

Hahahahaha. This actually made me laugh out loud.

jeffingoff
05-29-2020, 10:43 AM

OK, I'll start Bitchfest. It'll be a touring festival where people scream into the Bottomless Bitch Hole. There will be dunk tanks with people dressed up as asshole politicians. There will be a First World Problem museum. And a Punch It Out padded wall. Tickets are just $200. Signed by Joe Hill.

DanHocker
05-29-2020, 11:08 AM

You left out a fairly important part of that quote.

Night Shift is on time at the printer, and the books should be done in June. (Slipcases and traycases are another matter, unfortunately, and I don't have an updated delivery date on those yet, but I will share it when I have it... That's why we're sticking with a more general 2020 pub date instead of giving a specific month yet because there are still various factors out of our control...)

As far as I'm aware the printer is still on schedule for the books. I don't think publication will actually be until the fall though. Briana can probably clarify, but I've been under the impression that COVID has drug the case manufacturer to a crawl.

ICry4Oy
05-29-2020, 11:13 AM

As far as I'm aware the printer is still on schedule for the books. I don't think publication will actually be until the fall though. Briana can probably clarify, but I've been under the impression that COVID has drug the case manufacturer to a crawl.

If I were quoting Brian I probably would have seen that. But I was looking at the production updates on your website but thanks!

DanHocker
05-29-2020, 11:19 AM

If I were quoting Brian I probably would have seen that. But I was looking at the production updates on your website but thanks!

Ahh. I almost never look at our own production updates page... ha! We're definitely getting close on the books themselves now. I'm pretty we saw the last of the book related proofs last week. I'm not sure where that puts us on the actual "printing schedule" but it usually means we're getting close. I know we were hoping for some news on the case front, but last I talked to Brian about it we hadn't heard anything new.

Brian861
05-29-2020, 06:05 PM

OK, I'll start Bitchfest. It'll be a touring festival where people scream into the Bottomless Bitch Hole. There will be dunk tanks with people dressed up as asshole politicians. There will be a First World Problem museum. And a Punch It Out padded wall. Tickets are just $200. Signed by Joe Hill.

First World Problem museum :rofl: :wtf: Classic!

Nemoh21
05-29-2020, 06:33 PM
BOLD PREDICTION

We don’t have Nighshift on our shelves until April 2021. I have higher hopes of a Covid vaccine being discovered then I do seeing this book.

BONUS BOLD PREDICTION... My son will turn 5 before the Stand is published.... side note... I don’t have a son... and I’m infertile.

webstar1000
05-30-2020, 02:08 AM
I wish people would just leave Dan and Brian alone. Cancel your order if you do not want to wait. Simple as that. Does it suck? Yes... but do you think these guys wanna come here to this forum and hear us whine everyday about it... no. I’m betting they don’t. But they do.. and kudos for that. I’m sure if they had it their way... the books would have been sent out long ago.

willybusmc
05-30-2020, 02:15 AM
I wish people would just leave Dan and Brian alone. Cancel your order if you do not want to wait. Simple as that. Does it suck? Yes... but do you think these guys wanna come here to this forum and hear us whine everyday about it... no. I’m betting they don’t. But they do.. and kudos for that. I’m sure if they had it their way... the books would have been sent out long ago.

Brian and Dan are customer service heroes.

webstar1000
05-30-2020, 02:20 AM

Brian and Dan are customer service heroes.

Totally

playdohman
05-30-2020, 04:29 AM

I would think they would want to get all the feedback they can, both good and bad, to know what the customers are thinking. A forum like this is perfect for that because the opinions and statements will almost always be honest and detailed. The fact that posts are about old stuff mentioned many times before is great because they know what the issue still is but also that the orders have not been cancelled and the buyer still wants the books.

webstar1000
05-30-2020, 04:32 AM

I would think they would want to get all the feedback they can, both good and bad, to know what the customers are thinking. A forum like this is perfect for that because the opinions and statements will almost always be honest and detailed. The fact that posts are about old stuff mentioned many times before is great because they know what the issue still is but also that the orders have not been cancelled and the buyer still wants the books.

Agree to a point as I would want to know in my business when a customer isn’t happy..................but after awhile it’s the old Saying... beating a dead horse. That’s kind of where I was going with my thought process there.

Roseannebarr
05-30-2020, 05:47 AM

Ahh. I almost never look at our own production updates page... ha! We're definitely getting close on the books themselves now. I'm pretty we saw the last of the book related proofs last week. I'm not sure where that puts us on the actual "printing schedule" but it usually means we're getting close. I know we were hoping for some news on the case front, but last I talked to Brian about it we hadn't heard anything new.

True story- Wife and I are on a “spending freeze” due to layoffs, but I still get a few books in mail. So now my wife is using my line— My wife has started using the excuse, I didn’t just order these shoes, I ordered them two years ago and they just now shipped them.

Garrell
05-30-2020, 07:05 AM
LOL. My wife hears me say that alot. Honey I ordered that last year....

RichardX
05-30-2020, 07:30 AM

I like the folks at CD and their products but their endless litany of excuses borders on the absurd. Medieval monks could produce these books much faster than CD. If it was a situation in which this just happened occasionally, then no big deal. But it is the norm. It is quite simply the worst run business that I have encountered. Ever. They are long on excuses, but short on making any changes to address the problems. I won't order anything from them if I can obtain it somewhere else. It gives me no joy to say that because I do like their products but enough is enough at some point.

My suggestion is that CD commit to not producing any new products until the absurd backlog has been addressed. I don't think it is unreasonable for customers who pay a great deal for their products to actually get them before dying of old age. That is how most businesses work. If I have a leak and call the plumber, I don't want him to show up five years later after telling me his business burned down, his truck wouldn't start, his wife left him, his dog died etc. Particularly if I had already paid him. I've come to the realization, however, that no such improvements are forthcoming from CD. They are who they are and won't change. So the choices appear to be do business with them and expect endless excuses or move on. That's unfortunate.

Splync
05-30-2020, 09:17 AM

I like the folks at CD and their products but their endless litany of excuses borders on the absurd. Medieval monks could produce these books much faster than CD. If it was a situation in which this just happened occasionally, then no big deal. But it is the norm. It is quite simply the worst run business that I have encountered. Ever. They are long on excuses, but short on making any changes to address the problems. I won't order anything from them if I can obtain it somewhere else. It gives me no joy to say that because I do like their products but enough is enough at some point.

My suggestion is that CD commit to not producing any new products until the absurd backlog has been addressed. I don't think it is unreasonable for customers who pay a great deal for their products to actually get them before dying of old age. That is how most businesses work. If I have a leak and call the plumber, I don't want him to show up five years later after telling me his business burned down, his truck wouldn't start, his wife left him, his dog died etc. Particularly if I had already paid him. I've come to the realization, however, that no such improvements are forthcoming from CD. They are who they are and won't change. So the choices appear to be do business with them and expect endless excuses or move on. That's unfortunate.

So are you saying that the printers did NOT shut down? Or that their case maker is NOT currently being held up by COVID restrictions?

Why not expand on these "excuses" further? Why don't you just blame Cemetery Dance for being behind COVID??

Yes, it's unfortunate that they've had so many setbacks over the past few years, but they ARE working past them. Their new printer has actually been kicking ass. Titles like The Notch, The Bank, and The Chrysalis flew through production. And I have faith that this current printer will continue to pump out production, as long as they're open.

Sure, there are other titles being held up with signature sheets not being fully signed, but surely you can't be blaming that on CD too?!

Setbacks occur with every small business. And having your main printers close is a pretty significant setback. But blaming all of that on folks who continue to get books published DESPITE these setbacks is not just disrespectful, but also ignorant!

jeffingoff
05-30-2020, 09:38 AM
I agree with everyone.

Cook
05-30-2020, 10:15 AM

So are you saying that the printers did NOT shut down? Or that their case maker is NOT currently being held up by COVID restrictions?

Why not expand on these "excuses" further? Why don't you just blame Cemetery Dance for being behind COVID??

Yes, it's unfortunate that they've had so many setbacks over the past few years, but they ARE working past them. Their new printer has actually been kicking ass. Titles like The Notch, The Bank, and The Chrysalis flew through production. And I have faith that this current printer will continue to pump out production, as long as they're open.

Sure, there are other titles being held up with signature sheets not being fully signed, but surely you can't be blaming that on CD too?!

Setbacks occur with every small business. And having your main printers close is a pretty significant setback. But blaming all of that on folks who continue to get books published DESPITE these setbacks is not just disrespectful, but also ignorant!

Ignorant... Really?

"I don't think it means what you think it means" - Inigo Montoya

Lookwhoitis
05-30-2020, 10:38 AM

I'd have to agree with this... I really appreciate the personal presence from the CD employees on these boards. I mean CD has screwed up from time to time, but I still feel like I'm getting a good experience, specifically because of their presence.

Lookwhoitis
05-30-2020, 10:41 AM
I agree with everyone.

hahahah, that is certainly politically correct

bdwyer19
05-30-2020, 11:00 AM

I'd have to agree with this... I really appreciate the personal presence from the CD employees on these boards. I mean CD has screwed up from time to time, but I still feel like I'm getting a good experience, specifically because of their presence.

I am not waiting on any CD books right now, but if people want to vent here, that’s their prerogative. If it was on CDs forums, then yeah they could run the board how they see fit. But this is a forum for all things King, and if people have good or bad feelings about any publisher, this is the place to voice them.

daniel_pyle
05-30-2020, 01:17 PM
I know I'm pretty new here and I'm not sure I really deserve a say, but I do have eight items currently on order with CD, two of them dating back to 2017, so I hope no one minds if I chime in.

Yes, the waiting sucks, but from what I understand about the situation, I don't know what else anyone there could have done to avoid the problem. I'm not an insider, and I freely admit there might be factors I'm not privy to or simply don't understand, but it's not like they're printing the books themselves or personally signing signature pages. There seem to be a lot of gears in the machine, and when one (or more) of those gears gets stripped, it's going to take time to get things moving again, right? And that's not even factoring in a global pandemic!

In the plumber analogy, you have to remember that someone stole the plumber's wrench, and the company he orders wrenches from went bankrupt, and his backup supplier only offers wrenches too small to do the job, and they're out of stock right now anyway. He could come over, but without his tools, all he can do is hang out and have a beer.

I've always gotten great customer service from Cemetery Dance, and I think the products are worth the wait, no matter how frustrating the lag might be. Plus, I feel like the sales and memberships they frequently offer more than make up for the downsides of ordering from them. I'm going to end up getting many of my books for probably half what they should have cost me. I'm honestly amazed CD is able to do it at all, especially given the general decline of bookstores and publishers. Maybe I should be annoyed, but I just feel lucky (genuinely) to have such cool books to look forward to.

Patrick
05-30-2020, 01:58 PM
daniel_pyle, you’ve been a member for four years, so I don’t think you qualify as “new” anymore. :) Regardless, you most definitely are welcome to express your opinions and experiences. We do not discriminate against newer members nor against newer collectors. Thank you for adding your voice to the discussion.

Splync
05-30-2020, 02:06 PM
I know I'm pretty new here and I'm not sure I really deserve a say, but I do have eight items currently on order with CD, two of them dating back to 2017, so I hope no one minds if I chime in.

Yes, the waiting sucks, but from what I understand about the situation, I don't know what else anyone there could have done to avoid the problem. I'm not an insider, and I freely admit there might be factors I'm not privy to or simply don't understand, but it's not like they're printing the books themselves or personally signing signature pages. There seem to be a lot of gears in the machine, and when one (or more) of those gears gets stripped, it's going to take time to get things moving again, right? And that's not even factoring in a global pandemic!

In the plumber analogy, you have to remember that someone stole the plumber's wrench, and the company he orders wrenches from went bankrupt, and his backup supplier only offers wrenches too small to do the job, and they're out of stock right now anyway. He could come over, but without his tools, all he can do is hang out and have a beer.

I've always gotten great customer service from Cemetery Dance, and I think the products are worth the wait, no matter how frustrating the lag might be. Plus, I feel like the sales and memberships they frequently offer more than make up for the downsides of ordering from them. I'm going to end up getting many of my books for probably half what they should have cost me. I'm honestly amazed CD is able to do it at all, especially given the general decline of bookstores and publishers. Maybe I should be annoyed, but I just feel lucky (genuinely) to have such cool books to look forward to.

EXACTLY!

Having a printer shut down, or having someone take forever to sign a signature sheet, or having an author stalling on writing an introduction, or experiencing a global pandemic are out of their hands.

Reasons are not the same thing as excuses (although I suppose the inverse is true). Claiming that CD does nothing but pump out excuses is an unfair claim, especially since they've still succeeded in publishing things in spite of these hardships.

And this is not to mention that their customer service is phenomenal, especially with their presence on these forums!

Alec
05-30-2020, 02:19 PM
Were the comments made ‘disrespectful or ignorant’, I do not think so.
This thread affords very little in the way of information. It is inaccurate, gives false hope and causes heated discussions that should not be necessary.
Frankly either cancel an order or wait.

Brian861
05-30-2020, 03:03 PM
As discussed on the CD forum; some the "creatives" that CD works with are terrible about holding up their end of the bargain. I.E. getting sig sheets signed, artwork done, and introductions written, etc. Furthermore, if you rush them to get these things done, they get all pouty, won't do a damn thing, and refuse to work with you any longer. And as with the Mandalorian; This is the way. A lot of moving parts in the machine.

Not a dig at Brian or Dan, but when you order from CD, an expected delay is a given and everyone and their brother knows this. So that's on you if you choose to order from them. There is a much bigger problem at CD and his name isn't Brian nor Dan. Brian is in fact dong a damn good job of washing that stigma off himself by the way he's running his press and his Patreon campaign.

And calling out my fellow collectors here, but ordering trades and books from other publishers through them is just dumb. You guys know those things are going to get caught up in shipping queue Hell and be delayed well beyond the release date from the original source. Sure you could save 10-20% via CDCC on a lot of these items, but again, eyes wide open that a delay will ensue.

Splync
05-30-2020, 04:36 PM
Were the comments made ‘disrespectful or ignorant’, I do not think so.
This thread affords very little in the way of information. It is inaccurate, gives false hope and causes heated discussions that should not be necessary.
Frankly either cancel an order or wait.

For clarification, my remark about the disrespectful and ignorant comments was solely directed at Richard.

"Medieval monks could produce these books much faster than CD. If it was a situation in which this just happened occasionally, then no big deal. But it is the norm. It is quite simply the worst run business that I have encountered. Ever. They are long on excuses, but short on making any changes to address the problems. I won't order anything from them if I can obtain it somewhere else."

Can one respectfully call a company "the worst run business... Ever."? I also do not know that I've ever been respectfully told that someone else (medieval monk or otherwise) can do my job better than me, but then again, I'm not in the publishing world.

The "ignorant" part was in reference to him saying that they just continue to make excuses and never try to correct anything. As I said, printers closing and global pandemics are both situations that are completely out of their control. I wouldn't call them excuses. And to say that they don't change anything IS ignorant. Finding another printer IS doing something. It isn't like they just closed up shop because they hit a couple of bumpy patches over the years.

I'm simply trying to defend them against such claims because they are certainly NOT one of the worst businesses (publishers or otherwise) out there.

My goal wasn't to change Richard's mind; after all, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I will refute claims that CD does nothing but "offer excuses" and "doesn't do anything to change", since those are simply not true. After all, they still are publishing books and there have been several titles that have been released in the past few months.

But hey, I guess my tendency to type out long sentences and paragraphs has been misconstrued as being an asshole. I'm sorry for being an English major who can be verbose and for any offense that that has apparently caused.

Brian861
05-30-2020, 04:46 PM
I don't know about books, but word on the street is that monks can make some killer booze.

Splync
05-30-2020, 04:47 PM
I don't know about books, but word on the street is that monks can make some killer booze.

If Final Fantasy has taught me anything, they are also quite good with their fists in a fight!

daniel_pyle
05-30-2020, 05:10 PM

I say we get a bottle and pass it around!

Joe315
05-30-2020, 05:17 PM

EXACTLY!

Having a printer shut down, or having someone take forever to sign a signature sheet, or having an author stalling on writing an introduction, or experiencing a global pandemic are out of their hands.

Reasons are not the same thing as excuses (although I suppose the inverse is true). Claiming that CD does nothing but pump out excuses is an unfair claim, especially since they've still succeeded in publishing things in spite of these hardships.

And this is not to mention that their customer service is phenomenal, especially with their presence on these forums!

This thread is 13 years old and is riddled with the same complaints through out its 20000 posts. Brian and Dan are great ambassadors for cd and I’m sure have told Richard about the complaints. It’s Richards business. Dan and Brian just work there.

Brian861
05-30-2020, 05:21 PM
It’s Richards business. Dan and Brian just work there.

Mic drop.

Roseannebarr
05-30-2020, 07:31 PM
As discussed on the CD forum; some the "creatives" that CD works with are terrible about holding up their end of the bargain. I.E. getting sig sheets signed, artwork done, and introductions written, etc. Furthermore, if you rush them to get these things done, they get all pouty, won't do a damn thing, and refuse to work with you any longer. And as with the Mandalorian; This is the way. A lot of moving parts in the machine.

Not a dig at Brian or Dan, but when you order from CD, an expected delay is a given and everyone and their brother knows this. So that's on you if you choose to order from them. There is a much bigger problem at CD and his name isn't Brian nor Dan. Brian is in fact dong a damn good job of washing that stigma off himself by the way he's running his press and his Patreon campaign.

And calling out my fellow collectors here, but ordering trades and books from other publishers through them is just dumb. You guys know those things are going to get caught up in shipping queue Hell and be delayed well beyond the release date from the original source. Sure you could save 10-20% via CDCC on a lot of these items, but again, eyes wide open that a delay will ensue.

Maybe a better business model- Given all the delays is doing what Ps pub and letterpress are doing. Collecting $$ closer to release date of their more expensive books.

east-tennessee
05-30-2020, 08:32 PM
In business as in life, few things stay the same. Companies must be willing to move with the times and adjust their operations in response to increased competition, technological advances, stakeholder expectations and other pressures. True business change is more than just a rudder shift, however. It's the result of a structured and planned process to make the company more efficient and profitable.

jeffingoff
05-31-2020, 06:00 AM
I agree with everyone.

I was joking when I wrote that, but it's true.

I agree with the frustrations of so many who have given so much money, time, and faith to CD and gotten only a tight little trickle of return on that energy.
I agree that CD has suffered a litany of unfortunate events that rival those engineered by Count Olaf.
I agree that complaining about the ensuing delays is as useful as beating a horse deader 'n Mr. Ed.
I agree that there's only so much Brian, Dan, and Mindy can do without Richard stepping into the line of fire. (really, think about all the heat Brian and Dan continue to take here and how they continue to handle disgruntled folks right out in the open for all of us to read--that takes no small amount of patience, self-control, and courage. At the very least they've earned my respect for that.)

But mostly I agree with the point that's been made upthread--at this point we all know what to expect. And if you feel the business hasn't or won't change their end of things, then you need to change your end of things. It's either: buy and wait or don't buy and move on. Complaining won't change anything. But changing your behavior will change things. Change = change. And The Changeling was a fantastic movie (the George C Scott one not the Jolie one--though that one was pretty good).

I'm in the buy and wait camp. And knowing I've put myself there and who I'm doing business with I've chosen to be patient and wait. I haven't cancelled any of my preorders. And I haven't emailed asking where my Jane Goes North is. Because I know. I am aware. Though I don't buy as much as I used to. Being told my salary is about to go over a cliff has a little to do with that. But until that trickle turns into a flowing raging river, I'll probably be very picky with my preorders from CD.

allasorte
05-31-2020, 07:27 AM
The Exorcist Screenplay Lettered edition, does anyone know when those will be shipped? Thank you

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-31-2020, 10:09 AM
Mr. Ed is dead !!!???
I never saw that in the obituaries thread.
Now I'm totally depressed, of course, of course.

Randall Flagg
05-31-2020, 10:18 AM
Mr. Ed is dead !!!???

The horse that played Mr. Ed is said to have died in 1979 at the age of thirty, thirty-three, or thirty-four (depending on the source). Other, equally reputable sources, give the horse's date of death as 1968, 1973, and 1974. (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054557/trivia)

St. Troy
05-31-2020, 10:47 AM
...I guess my tendency to type out long sentences and paragraphs has been misconstrued as being an asshole. I'm sorry for being an English major who can be verbose and for any offense that that has apparently caused.

My (internet) experience has always been that explaining myself in detail often only intensifies existing misunderstandings (make of that what you will).

Brian861
05-31-2020, 12:15 PM
Mr. Ed is dead !!!???

The horse that played Mr. Ed is said to have died in 1979 at the age of thirty, thirty-three, or thirty-four (depending on the source). Other, equally reputable sources, give the horse's date of death as 1968, 1973, and 1974. (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054557/trivia)

Often seen being ridden by Elvis and Kennedy on their horse range out in Montana.

MLG
05-31-2020, 02:24 PM

Here in the Northwest they make killer fudge and truffles! https://www.brigittine.org/

Hunchback Jack
05-31-2020, 06:39 PM
...I guess my tendency to type out long sentences and paragraphs has been misconstrued as being an asshole. I'm sorry for being an English major who can be verbose and for any offense that that has apparently caused.

My (internet) experience has always been that explaining myself in detail often only intensifies existing misunderstandings (make of that what you will).

Yes.

DanHocker
06-01-2020, 08:57 AM
RE: Night Shift. I'll tell you all this, the last thing I want or can even handle is the cases for Night Shift dragging on too long. My storage warehouse is already packed to the brim and adding Night Shift books on top of that will put us at overflowing. No one wants the cases to be done sooner than I do, as the warehouse guys and myself are the ones who have to figure out where to put all the books until the cases get made. Timing is really unfortunate because we'll have 2 projects sitting in the warehouse that take up a ton of space just waiting on cases. The best of CD 2 limited and soon all of Night Shift. So the sooner we're able to get the cases manufactured the better for everyone. Better for you guys so you have the books you ordered, better for us so we aren't choked to death by stationary product.

Ari_Racing
06-01-2020, 09:11 AM
Dan or Brian, do you have an estimate date when The Stand will be up for sale?

DanHocker
06-01-2020, 09:14 AM
Dan or Brian, do you have an estimate date when The Stand will be up for sale?

If we do things how we've done them in the past, it won't be until after we ship Night Shift.

St. Troy
06-01-2020, 11:08 AM
...the last thing I want or can even handle is the cases for Night Shift dragging on too long...the sooner we're able to get the cases manufactured the better for everyone...

Dan: keeping in mind, of course, that you can't see the future, control the case maker, or cure COVID, I have a general question: how long does it typically take a case maker to make cases once they've been provided with a physical book? Is it like X number of weeks to design, then Y number of weeks to produce and ship to CD, etc.? Just curious about the general lay of the land.

Ben Mears
06-01-2020, 11:24 AM
RE: Night Shift. I'll tell you all this, the last thing I want or can even handle is the cases for Night Shift dragging on too long. My storage warehouse is already packed to the brim and adding Night Shift books on top of that will put us at overflowing. No one wants the cases to be done sooner than I do, as the warehouse guys and myself are the ones who have to figure out where to put all the books until the cases get made. Timing is really unfortunate because we'll have 2 projects sitting in the warehouse that take up a ton of space just waiting on cases. The best of CD 2 limited and soon all of Night Shift. So the sooner we're able to get the cases manufactured the better for everyone. Better for you guys so you have the books you ordered, better for us so we aren't choked to death by stationary product.

How about shipping Night Shift without the cases and sending them along when they have been completed? That would open up some warehouse space.

DanHocker
06-01-2020, 12:23 PM
...the last thing I want or can even handle is the cases for Night Shift dragging on too long...the sooner we're able to get the cases manufactured the better for everyone...

Dan: keeping in mind, of course, that you can't see the future, control the case maker, or cure COVID, I have a general question: how long does it typically take a case maker to make cases once they've been provided with a physical book? Is it like X number of weeks to design, then Y number of weeks to produce and ship to CD, etc.? Just curious about the general lay of the land.

Brian will have to answer that one, I'm not really sure.

DanHocker
06-01-2020, 12:27 PM

How about shipping Night Shift without the cases and sending them along when they have been completed? That would open up some warehouse space.

That's possible, but it would probably cause more headaches than it's worth. There's 2 big hurdles there, one is it would really confuse a lot of people (even if we spelled it out perfectly for them), the 2nd hurdle is that we would have to manually go into every single order and add a separate item for the case. It's a lot of orders and would take a large amount of time, and since it would have to be done manually it'd be prone to errors. So while possible, probably not worth it in the long run.

Another thing to note is that the cases actually provide an extra layer of protection in shipping. It's not the end of the world if a case gets damaged (there's usually plenty of extras), but there's only soo many books to go around.

jeffingoff
06-01-2020, 12:30 PM

I'd IMAGINE that would double their shipping costs and hours of labor. People have paid for one box to be shipped (Night Shift in its case) and if they ship separately that'll be two shipments. So they'd gain the space in the short term but they'd lose money.

DanHocker
06-01-2020, 01:50 PM

I'd IMAGINE that would double their shipping costs and hours of labor. People have paid for one box to be shipped (Night Shift in its case) and if they ship separately that'll be two shipments. So they'd gain the space in the short term but they'd lose money.

Yea cost is a factor as well. I don't know how much more expensive it'd be, but I suspect on shipping costs alone it'd be more than double, since slipcases and traycases can't be shipped via Media Mail.

Tony Two-Cent
06-03-2020, 04:13 AM
Is everyone else seeing an error screen when trying to access the Cemetery Dance Forum?

jhanic
06-03-2020, 04:37 AM
I got it also.

John

Splync
06-03-2020, 05:03 AM
Same here. :-(

St. Troy
06-03-2020, 05:26 AM
not me

Tony Two-Cent
06-03-2020, 05:30 AM
The CD website seems to be fine, it's just the forum. It now says this:

https://i.ibb.co/VVw694t/CD-FORUM.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

Tony Two-Cent
06-03-2020, 05:47 AM
It appears to be working now.

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled program."

DanHocker
06-03-2020, 05:48 AM
Yeah I'm not sure exactly what happened. Someone seems to have gotten into the actual files for the forum and replaced the 2 files for the "root pages" of the forum with that. I've switched it back and deleted all of those files, also changed both the admin passwords on the forums and we've changed the website admin passwords. It looks like they didn't want to do any real damage, because with the access they had to the forums they could've just deleted everything (that said it's unlikely they would've had access to the database files at all). Anyways things are back up and the website people are hopefully looking for logs to see how the forums were breached.

DanHocker
06-03-2020, 07:16 AM
Just as a quick note, I've temporarily disabled the forums again. Might be down for awhile, working with the website people to migrate / do a clean install of the software.

jeffingoff
06-05-2020, 06:37 AM
Forum was open and now it's down again. Or I just got bounced. Which would be a decision I'd agree with. Like Groucho I don't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member. Great, now I'll get bounced from here. Which is a decision Id agree with . . .

Tony Two-Cent
06-05-2020, 06:42 AM
Forum was open and now it's down again. Or I just got bounced. Which would be a decision I'd agree with. Like Groucho I don't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member. Great, now I'll get bounced from here. Which is a decision Id agree with . . .

"Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked, have been sacked."

stroppygoblin
06-05-2020, 06:57 AM
Great, now I'll get bounced from here. Which is a decision Id agree with . . .

Goodbye Jeff, you were clearly flying under the radar for far too long...

(hovers over delete user button.... :evil:)

ur2ndbiggestfan
06-05-2020, 07:00 AM
Is there a 'make user rich beyond his/her wildest dreams' button?

stroppygoblin
06-05-2020, 07:04 AM
Is there a 'make user rich beyond his/her wildest dreams' button?

Yes. Send me $50 in cash and I'll tell you where to find it.

jeffingoff
06-05-2020, 07:06 AM
Great, now I'll get bounced from here. Which is a decision Id agree with . . .

Goodbye Jeff, you were clearly flying under the radar for far too long...

(hovers over delete user button.... :evil:)

Before you do that, I'd like to make a very wordy, rambling speech that goes off on so many tangents that it contradicts itself and offends people of every identity group. I'll film it and edit on my phone using in-app music tracks to prolong the unease.

DanHocker
06-05-2020, 10:05 AM
We're back now. My update didn't take last night. So I had them roll the server back a couple of days to when we were last stable, then I've done a fresh clean install of the forum software. Things look a little different over there now as the old style was non functuioning on the updates forum software, but I'm slowly working on making the current style look as close to the old one as I can get.

stroppygoblin
06-05-2020, 12:31 PM
We're back now. My update didn't take last night. So I had them roll the server back a couple of days to when we were last stable, then I've done a fresh clean install of the forum software. Things look a little different over there now as the old style was non functuioning on the updates forum software, but I'm slowly working on making the current style look as close to the old one as I can get.

I feel your pain Dan :evil:

Ben Eads
06-06-2020, 06:11 AM
The CD forum is down again. = (

This is the error I keep getting:

ParseError: syntax error, unexpected end of file in ..../includes/init.php(357) : eval()'d code on line 428

Tony Two-Cent
06-06-2020, 06:51 AM

ParseError: syntax error, unexpected end of file in ..../includes/init.php(357) : eval()'d code on line 428

Same here. :-(

Ben Eads
06-06-2020, 06:59 AM
I was in the middle of buying a book from someone on the forums. LOL

swintek
06-06-2020, 01:53 PM

Same here.

DanHocker
06-08-2020, 05:34 AM
Hmm. I'm not sure what's happening. This is the error that showed up when the forums broke the 2nd time. It seems like they're good for a day, then when it rolls over to the next day they break. It's extra weird to, because I'm running a fresh install.

jeffingoff
06-08-2020, 11:10 AM
Need the forum back because there's a Borderlands Little Book thread that I need to update.

And typing that Jeff realized exactly how convoluted this all is. Here he was on the TDT forum asking Cemetery Dance to open their forum so he could discuss another publisher's books. Going to a forum to demand access to a different forum from a publisher to discuss a different publisher. It snapped him out of the reality he was barely in. He began writing about himself in the third person in order to complain about himself to himself in front of others. It was the sign that maybe he needed to go for a walk.

Also, for those collecting, Tom Monteleone is giving us Sarah Pinborough in the next Little Book even though he never mentioned her previously and this throws off my meticulous tracking of Little Books. Also also I love the stuff I've read from her so I'm not complaining.

And just like that Jeff realized he had an undeniable need to share information that no one asked for.

Tony Two-Cent
06-08-2020, 11:18 AM
Need the forum back because there's a Borderlands Little Book thread that I need to update.

And typing that Jeff realized exactly how convoluted this all is. Here he was on the TDT forum asking Cemetery Dance to open their forum so he could discuss another publisher's books. Going to a forum to demand access to a different forum from a publisher to discuss a different publisher. It snapped him out of the reality he was barely in. He began writing about himself in the third person in order to complain about himself to himself in front of others. It was the sign that maybe he needed to go for a walk.

Also, for those collecting, Tom Monteleone is giving us Sarah Pinborough in the next Little Book even though he never mentioned her previously and this throws off my meticulous tracking of Little Books. Also also I love the stuff I've read from her so I'm not complaining.

And just like that Jeff realized he had an undeniable need to share information that no one asked for.

This is unexpected news. (About the next Little Book, not your mental revelations.) :-)

So, we now have Sarah Pinborough next, then Blake Crouch, then Owen King? Which ones am I forgetting?

Splync
06-08-2020, 11:19 AM
I miss the forums already... :-(

Brian861
06-08-2020, 11:24 AM

As soon as you posted this, the preorder magically showed up in my inbox :orely:

jeffingoff
06-08-2020, 11:39 AM

This is unexpected news. (About the next Little Book, not your mental revelations.) :-)

So, we now have Sarah Pinborough next, then Blake Crouch, then Owen King? Which ones am I forgetting?

Here's the updated list:

LITTLE BOOKS SERIES 3

Published:
William F Nolan
Mort Castle
Tim Waggoner
Josh Malerman
Thomas Ligotti
Gahan Wilson
Caitlin Kiernan
Charles Grant
Ramsey Campbell
Robert McCammon

Soon to arrive:
Sarah Pinborough

Promised:
Richard Chizmar
Heather Graham
Owen King

Named but not confirmed:
Bentley Little
Stephen King
Blake Crouch

DanHocker
06-08-2020, 11:54 AM
I'm still working on them. Unfortunately I didn't see they were down again until this morning and Vbulletin support is pretty slow. Hopefully I get a reply tonight and I can get it fixed tomorrow. We may go through another update though, as I've had a liscense for VBulletin 5 for years and I can actually update to that now. So we'll see what happens.

jeffingoff
06-08-2020, 11:56 AM
I'm still working on them. Unfortunately I didn't see they were down again until this morning and Vbulletin support is pretty slow. Hopefully I get a reply tonight and I can get it fixed tomorrow. We may go through another update though, as I've had a liscense for VBulletin 5 for years and I can actually update to that now. So we'll see what happens.

I speak for everyone (I was elected) when I say we really appreciate the effort to get it working again. Thanks, Dan.

jeffingoff
06-08-2020, 12:56 PM

As soon as you posted this, the preorder magically showed up in my inbox :orely:

Yeah happened to me too. I was just checking publisher's sites as I do when I'm trying to avoid the dumpster fire that is the real world when I saw the new Little Book posted. So, continuing to avoid reality I came here to blab about it. But reality was waiting for me once I was done.

MLG
06-08-2020, 01:10 PM

I speak for everyone (I was elected) when I say we really appreciate the effort to get it working again. Thanks, Dan.

You are from Chicago so being 'elected' has its own meaning.

Randall Flagg
06-08-2020, 04:26 PM
Dan, I feel your pain. Running an older version of vbulletin is treacherous.
Ask my son, or stroppygoblin.
Upgrading is even more fun.

Jimimck
06-08-2020, 11:28 PM
Are there any publicly available CD discount codes floating around at the moment?

stroppygoblin
06-09-2020, 03:38 AM

Dan, I'd be really interested in your feedback on how the upgrade went, assuming you decide to do this. Not suggesting you do that in an open forum here, but if we could have a private conversation about it after the fact, I would be grateful.

DanHocker
06-09-2020, 05:24 AM

Dan, I'd be really interested in your feedback on how the upgrade went, assuming you decide to do this. Not suggesting you do that in an open forum here, but if we could have a private conversation about it after the fact, I would be grateful.

I'm hoping to attempt the upgrade to VB 5 today on a copy of the forums. Just waiting on the website people to set it up for me. If that works, and it doesn't crash after the day rolls over then I'll probably proceed with doing it to the live version. It seems like it should be pretty straight forward though. We aren't running any plugins or addons that we have to worry about loosing. The biggest thing will be the forum style, but I already had to rebuild our old one from scratch, so it shouldn't be the end of the world.

Tony Two-Cent
06-09-2020, 05:58 AM

Here's the updated list:

LITTLE BOOKS SERIES 3

Published:
William F Nolan
Mort Castle
Tim Waggoner
Josh Malerman
Thomas Ligotti
Gahan Wilson
Caitlin Kiernan
Charles Grant
Ramsey Campbell
Robert McCammon

Soon to arrive:
Sarah Pinborough

Promised:
Richard Chizmar
Heather Graham
Owen King

Named but not confirmed:
Bentley Little
Stephen King
Blake Crouch

Thanks, Jeff! Although not officially announced I'm 99.9% sure that the Blake Crouch volume is a go. With the 3 "promised" volumes that would complete the list of 15. (No Bentley Little or Stephen King.)

Time will tell.

Brian861
06-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Yeah happened to me too. I was just checking publisher's sites as I do when I'm trying to avoid the dumpster fire that is the real world when I saw the new Little Book posted. So, continuing to avoid reality I came here to blab about it. But reality was waiting for me once I was done.

I went ahead and preordered the slipcase as well while I was there. I don't recall ever getting an email to do that.

jeffingoff
06-09-2020, 01:59 PM

I went ahead and preordered the slipcase as well while I was there. I don't recall ever getting an email to do that.

No they never send an email for the slipcases. I thought I mentioned it in the CD forum.

DanHocker
06-09-2020, 05:58 PM
Good news. I have progress on the forums. Assuming they don't break overnight I'll be running the upgrade to VBulletin 5 tomorrow and we'll be back up and running. The upgrade seems to have worked perfectly in my test environment.

Brian861
06-10-2020, 05:42 AM

No they never send an email for the slipcases. I thought I mentioned it in the CD forum.

You did but I swear I received an email to preorder for the first one. Maybe it was just in a newsletter :shrug:

DanHocker
06-10-2020, 06:41 AM
Ok forum update number 1,999... I solved the problem that was causing the original forums to crash this morning, but I'm going ahead with the update to Vbulletin 5 anyways, since it worked perfectly on my test environment. I figure might as well finally do that update since we paid for it like 6 years ago anyways. Should be back up and running in an hour or 2. They the appearance of the forums will be in flux for a bit as I take the time to tweak it to what I want it to be / look like.

DanHocker
06-10-2020, 08:17 AM
Ok. It's back now. Hopefully for good. VB5 will take a bit to get used to, but it definitely is a more powerful piece of software. I'm still tweaking the appearance, but we should be useable now.

https://forum.cemeterydance.com/

Hunchback Jack
06-10-2020, 08:29 AM
Awesome, Dan.

jeffingoff
06-10-2020, 09:02 AM
Thank you Dan! I'm trying to get used to the interface. One thing I've already noticed: nothing happens when you click the What's New button. Used to be you clicked that button and you'd get served all the latest posts across all threads. I liked that--that was my usual point of entry so I could join active conversations. I hope you can bring that back if possible. Again and regardless, thank you for restoring the forum. It's something we pay nothing for and enjoy.

DanHocker
06-10-2020, 09:13 AM
Thank you Dan! I'm trying to get used to the interface. One thing I've already noticed: nothing happens when you click the What's New button. Used to be you clicked that button and you'd get served all the latest posts across all threads. I liked that--that was my usual point of entry so I could join active conversations. I hope you can bring that back if possible. Again and regardless, thank you for restoring the forum. It's something we pay nothing for and enjoy.

Let me look into it. I added that back in myself, as there didn't seem to be a "What's New".

Tony Two-Cent
06-10-2020, 11:17 AM
For what's it's worth, the "What's New" button is working just fine for me.

jeffingoff
06-10-2020, 11:23 AM
For what's it's worth, the "What's New" button is working just fine for me.

Yeah I just checked and it's back!

DanHocker
06-10-2020, 11:26 AM
Yep I fixed. Might as well move any discussion about the CD forums off of the DT board though. No reason to bog this thread down with suggestions and problems. You can post anything you find here.

https://forum.cemeterydance.com/forum/discussion/general-discussion/180134-the-forum-s-are-back-again