PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89

killjoy72
01-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Aw hell, put me down for the artist portfolio as well.

DanHocker
01-29-2015, 12:08 PM
Just got my S/N carrie to day and have to say that its fantastic !
I love the clean cover and the quality of the book is absolute perfekt!

really happy that i got the all 5 editions deal.

Brian, one question - hope its not necessary but : will all 6 have the same dimension ?
Or will we have the same "optic" as with the dark towers ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "optic" but to my knowledge they will all have the same dimensions.

Brian James Freeman
01-29-2015, 12:13 PM
Brian, one question - hope its not necessary but : will all 6 have the same dimension ?

They'll all have the same 7 X 10 trim size, yep!

Brian

Priest
01-29-2015, 12:24 PM
perfect, thanks!

CyberGhostface
01-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Can you let us know when the Salem's Lot GE is close to selling out?

Aronstg
01-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Great job CD. Glad that everything is selling at a great pace. I have to agree with many that the artwork for this book is just amazing. You guys really hit a home run with this artist.

Frankie
01-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Got one Carrie due to preorder (and paid for all of them).

Got another in the King grab. Was debating whether I should buy a full matching second set, but appears may be too late now.

Jimimck
01-30-2015, 10:42 AM
PS appears to have copies of the numbered edition of Salems Lot for anyone who missed out.

LostAlivE
02-01-2015, 10:46 AM
I can't wait to see what CD is going to be doing for The Stand which will be a different getter.

AstroDad
02-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Just got an email from CD for a 50% off sale. Code: SNOW50

Doesn't apply to the usual suspects. I picked up the forthcoming s/l revised Dark Tower Concordance and s/l John Dies at the End. I noticed The Dark Man worked as well. Had SOD2 still been available I would have snagged that, but it appears to have sold out since last I checked.

Does NOT work for Carrie or Salem's Lot

allasorte
02-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Not sure if I should post this here but I'll be brief. I love CD's books and slipcases, but they are so tight! You can't use standard brodart wraps with the plastic and the paper where the dust jacket slips in and then is 100% protected. However, after 5 years of collecting and buying mylar wraps here and there for trial and error.....I figured out how to wrap CD books with slipcases and have no problem using mylar wraps. Since we are all collectors I wanted to help everyone out. I do not know off hand what the name of the wraps I bought, I would have to look them up. BUT I normally buy the 1.5 mil ones that are super clear plastic with the sheet of paper. They do not work with CD slipcases. The ones that do are the ones that are 1.5 plastic super clear and instead of the paper backing, they have only a small pieces of plastic of roughly 2 inches. So the back of the dust jacket is not protected, just the front. This makes it much smaller and fits all CD slipcases. I bought 25 medium ones and 25 smaller ones and spent a good 6 hours and did all my CD books in one day. I'll tell you guys, I was so happy that day and I'm still proud of myself. I figured all this out 3 weeks ago. So I hope I'm allowed to post this information here. If not, I apologize. Joe

skyofcrack
02-01-2015, 08:24 PM
I just wrapped my Carrie CD GE with a Brodart cover. It was tight in the slipcase with and without it.

stroppygoblin
02-02-2015, 01:25 AM
Not sure if I should post this here but I'll be brief. I love CD's books and slipcases, but they are so tight! You can't use standard brodart wraps with the plastic and the paper where the dust jacket slips in and then is 100% protected. However, after 5 years of collecting and buying mylar wraps here and there for trial and error.....I figured out how to wrap CD books with slipcases and have no problem using mylar wraps. Since we are all collectors I wanted to help everyone out. I do not know off hand what the name of the wraps I bought, I would have to look them up. BUT I normally buy the 1.5 mil ones that are super clear plastic with the sheet of paper. They do not work with CD slipcases. The ones that do are the ones that are 1.5 plastic super clear and instead of the paper backing, they have only a small pieces of plastic of roughly 2 inches. So the back of the dust jacket is not protected, just the front. This makes it much smaller and fits all CD slipcases. I bought 25 medium ones and 25 smaller ones and spent a good 6 hours and did all my CD books in one day. I'll tell you guys, I was so happy that day and I'm still proud of myself. I figured all this out 3 weeks ago. So I hope I'm allowed to post this information here. If not, I apologize. Joe

Hi Joe. There is a specific thread for this that you can use, see here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?5813-HOW-TO-Protective-Covers-For-Your-Books&highlight=protect). This board has been around a while and you can almost guarantee there is a thread on *every* topic you can think of. I suggest trying a search first, if you cant find anything appropriate, go ahead and post. Eventually you will even be able to start new threads as well. If it's inappropriate or better served in an existing thread, then RF or one of the other Mods have the ability to move or merge it.

Welcome to the site!

mikeC
02-02-2015, 07:02 AM
Brian, any thoughts on artist portfolios for these?

We might do one big one when all is said and done, I think. We'll need to see what the artists think and figure out the production costs.

Brian

Thanks for the reply Brain, I'm glad everyone is into this idea!
I would prefer individual portfolios bc of cost reasons but anything would be great.

richardsrarebooks
02-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Received an email from Mindy about the Stephen King grab bag. They received the last item but have major issues with the traycases so there will be a delay. I'm guessing it's Faith but that's just a guess.

mattgreenbean
02-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Just ordered a 12 issue subscription to the cemetery rag! Thanks for the sale guys.

MLG
02-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Received an email from Mindy about the Stephen King grab bag. They received the last item but have major issues with the traycases so there will be a delay. I'm guessing it's Faith but that's just a guess.

No email for me. I wonder if I am getting a different item as my second book?

Brian James Freeman
02-02-2015, 11:23 AM

No email for me. I wonder if I am getting a different item as my second book?

I think he just asked in an email. We haven't sent any updates today, but we will once the situation is settled.

Brian

richardsrarebooks
02-02-2015, 11:24 AM
The book I was thinking about (of course) is Faithful. Sorry about that!

Brian James Freeman
02-02-2015, 11:43 AM
The book I was thinking about (of course) is Faithful. Sorry about that!

Close enough for government work, I'd say! :)

Brian

killjoy72
02-02-2015, 01:30 PM
David Palumbo on illustrating 'Salem's Lot (http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2015/01/salems-lot.html#comment-form)

racerx45
02-02-2015, 01:34 PM
David Palumbo on illustrating 'Salem's Lot (http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2015/01/salems-lot.html#comment-form)

Thanks for the link!

Ben Mears
02-02-2015, 02:01 PM

Thanks for that; an excellent read. Clearly David Palumbo knows the story and gave serious thought to how he wanted present his portfolio of images and did a fantastic job capturing the mood and atmosphere of 'Salem's Lot. I really enjoy the theme he pursued and wish he could have done a fifth interior focused on Mark Petrie.

killjoy72
02-02-2015, 02:11 PM
^Agreed. These images just drip with atmosphere. He's certainly raised the bar for the artists following him in the rest of this Doubleday Years Set.

allasorte
02-02-2015, 02:28 PM
I used the CD discount today for the gift edition of "Faithful" eh saved 50%. CD sent me an email about the grab bag and told me the one book I'm getting is their Salem's Lot artist edition! I'm stoked on that. The second book would be on it's way in 90 days....2 months to go. So I loved the SK grab bag. Basically it was 300. I sold the Carrie proof for 330 and an advanced readers copy for 70. So I made 100 bucks and will keep Salem's Lot and whatever else they send :).

jonp
02-02-2015, 02:36 PM
I used the CD discount today for the gift edition of "Faithful" eh saved 50%. CD sent me an email about the grab bag and told me the one book I'm getting is their Salem's Lot artist edition! I'm stoked on that. The second book would be on it's way in 90 days....2 months to go. So I loved the SK grab bag. Basically it was 300. I sold the Carrie proof for 330 and an advanced readers copy for 70. So I made 100 bucks and will keep Salem's Lot and whatever else they send :).

I don't suppose you sold your Carrie unbound proof to a guy in England.:)

richardsrarebooks
02-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Received email for the CDCC. 10% off David Morrell's "First Blood" signed limited and/or lettered. I purchased the lettered @ $180.00 Thanks CD!

CyberGhostface
02-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Just confirmed my order for 'Salem's Lot. :)

skyofcrack
02-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Got a shipping notice for my OOP Grab Bag. :D

racerx45
02-04-2015, 03:43 PM

Cool, let us know what you get. I am looking forward to seeing what they have for us.

dnemec
02-04-2015, 03:50 PM

Me too! Now, the wait...

mkb.redux
02-04-2015, 03:52 PM

Jealous. Nothing yet, and I'm traveling for the next two weeks beginning on Saturday.

Kingfan24
02-04-2015, 03:54 PM
any news on gone girl/faithful s/l?

ICry4Oy
02-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Ditto!

Received my Fangora today! Great book but stupid signature by one of the editors - just a scribble.

Brian James Freeman
02-04-2015, 07:35 PM

What an odd edition that would be. ;)

No news on Gone Girl, unfortunately, but I will nudge the agent again soon about those signature sheets.

Some annoying news on Faithful, but my traycase vendor is working to fix a problem that came out of nowhere during production and I'll send out an official update once the problem has a firm solution. Until then, it's just a headache for me to enjoy alone. ;)

Brian

Merlin1958
02-04-2015, 07:41 PM

What an odd edition that would be. ;)

No news on Gone Girl, unfortunately, but I will nudge the agent again soon about those signature sheets.

Some annoying news on Faithful, but my traycase vendor is working to fix a problem that came out of nowhere during production and I'll send out an official update once the problem has a firm solution. Until then, it's just a headache for me to enjoy alone. ;)

Brian

Only because at this point you all expect it, but with regards to "Faithful", Awwwwww!!! LOL

I wouldn't want to disappoint. Now go bid on a HF item!!! LOL

Brian James Freeman
02-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Only because at this point you all expect it, but with regards to "Faithful", Awwwwww!!! LOL

Given the problems I've had with production on this book, I kind of assumed you had made voodoo doll of either me or, somehow, the book itself -- and you've been busy poking that thing in the eyes!

Brian

Merlin1958
02-04-2015, 07:53 PM

Given the problems I've had with production on this book, I kind of assumed you had made voodoo doll of either me or, somehow, the book itself -- and you've been busy poking that thing in the eyes!

Brian

How did you find out??? Do you have "people"????? LOL

Now, donate something to the HF and I'll burn the doll and not the book. LOL

Brian James Freeman
02-04-2015, 08:01 PM

Brian

How did you find out??? Do you have "people"????? LOL

Now, donate something to the HF and I'll burn the doll and not the book. LOL

HA!

Jimimck
02-04-2015, 10:52 PM
I see some purchased Faithfull with the recent 50% off deal. I didn't even think of using it for faithfull. Not a bad deal!

stroppygoblin
02-05-2015, 01:20 AM
I see some purchased Faithfull with the recent 50% off deal. I didn't even think of using it for faithfull. Not a bad deal!

Remember all the proceeds for the sale of Faithful go to charity. I actually used a previous 50% off code to buy my copy (and apologized to Brian for doing so). My funds were pretty low at that point and it was the only way I could afford to secure a copy. In my defense I DID purchase the more limited edition which meant the charity got more than if I had bought the regular one.

So, although I am in no position to be 'holier than thou' on this, if you can afford to pay full price for this book, please do so and use the code for something else.

This has been a public service announcement on behalf of the "Books to Benefit" organisation. :)

skyofcrack
02-05-2015, 06:43 AM

Remember all the proceeds for the sale of Faithful go to charity. I actually used a previous 50% off code to buy my copy (and apologized to Brian for doing so). My funds were pretty low at that point and it was the only way I could afford to secure a copy. In my defense I DID purchase the more limited edition which meant the charity got more than if I had bought the regular one.

So, although I am in no position to be 'holier than thou' on this, if you can afford to pay full price for this book, please do so and use the code for something else.

A minimum of thirty percent of the retail price from this special edition will be donated to The Haven Foundation and to organizations that promote cancer care and research.

If I'm reading and understanding this correctly, it doesn't matter what consumers pay with discounts and such if the amount given to the charity is based on the retail price of each book sold.

I'm sure Brian will correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Brian James Freeman
02-05-2015, 08:10 AM
If I'm reading and understanding this correctly, it doesn't matter what consumers pay with discounts and such if the amount given to the charity is based on the retail price of each book sold.

I'm sure Brian will correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Sure, that's right. I accounted for how many people usually use coupons when I ran the numbers for the project. That 30% should leave just about $0 in the bank account for the project after the donations, which was the goal. All the money to the rights holders and the causes.

Of course, if more people than expected use coupons, or if some of the retailers don't pay for their books (this happens about 10% of the time), I'll make up the difference out of pocket so that the groups get what they are owed. Depending on how much of a pinch that cost puts me in personally, it will probably kill project #2, which will bum a lot of people out when they hear what it was going to be. ;)

Brian

stroppygoblin
02-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Ah OK. Good to hear the charity doesn't suffer.

Fingers X'd you got you calculations right Brian :)

Brian James Freeman
02-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Ah OK. Good to hear the charity doesn't suffer.

Fingers X'd you got you calculations right Brian :)

The numbers have actually fallen right in line where I expected, which is reassuring. But it's a good thing I don't have an office or employees to pay for because there's no way 30% would have been possible for a real business... ha!

Brian

Jimimck
02-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to promote buying the book at a discount at the expense of charity or Brian's pocket. I was just really pointing out that I hadn't considered the discount applying to the book as I didn't see it as a CD production. Kinda like how the discounts don't often apply to LRB publications.

Brian James Freeman
02-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to promote buying the book at a discount at the expense of charity or Brian's pocket. I was just really pointing out that I hadn't considered the discount applying to the book as I didn't see it as a CD production. Kinda like how the discounts don't often apply to LRB publications.

It's all good. There are just 25 copies left to sell, and everyone at The Haven Foundation and The Jimmy Fund seem very pleased with how things have turned out!

Brian

Randall Flagg
02-05-2015, 12:48 PM
If you come up shy, I'll buy two books at double price.

T-Dogz_AK47
02-05-2015, 12:53 PM
If you come up shy, I'll buy two books at double price.

That is awesome of you, Jerome! YOU ROCK!!! :rock:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Randall Flagg again.

Someone please give RF some rep points for that... :smile:

CyberGhostface
02-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Just a suggestion but maybe something related to Randall Flagg could be on the GE cover for 'The Stand'?

racerx45
02-05-2015, 01:20 PM
With the Faithfull proceeds going to charity seeing the 50% discount and that some were going in to a grab bag I did scratch my head a few times. I then realized that Brian knows what he is doing and has the bases covered.

Randall Flagg
02-05-2015, 01:27 PM
With the Faithfull proceeds going to charity seeing the 50% discount and that some were going in to a grab bag I did scratch my head a few times. I then realized that Brian knows what he is doing and has the bases covered.
Yes. He's pretty astute.

Brian James Freeman
02-05-2015, 01:30 PM

I even figured out how to save a few copies to send to Bill for his birthday for the next few years! ;)

Brian

Brian James Freeman
02-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Has anyone on here not seen the first artwork previews for The Shining and The Stand that we sent out to the Carrie customers the other week?

Brian

T-Dogz_AK47
02-05-2015, 01:38 PM
I even figured out how to save a few copies to send to Bill for his birthday for the next few years! ;)

Brian

LOL! LOL! LOL! :emot-roflolmao:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Brian James Freeman again.

Someone please give Brian some rep points for that... :lol:

skyofcrack
02-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Has anyone on here not seen the first artwork previews for The Shining and The Stand that we sent out to the Carrie customers the other week?

Brian

Never got any previews.

MLG
02-05-2015, 01:45 PM

Brian

Never got any previews.

Nor did I.

goheat
02-05-2015, 01:47 PM

Brian

Never got any previews.

Nor did I.

Nor I as well!

Merlin1958
02-05-2015, 01:51 PM

Brian

LOL! LOL! LOL! :emot-roflolmao:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Brian James Freeman again.

Someone please give Brian some rep points for that... :lol:

I got this one for ya, Tim!!! LOL

Randall Flagg
02-05-2015, 01:52 PM

Brian
Members who attended the Florida event saw some of the art from The Shining. Don Maitz was kind enough to show up in person and let us see a piece....or three.

Dano
02-05-2015, 03:56 PM
I have not seen any previews via email from either book and I purchased the Carrie. I, too, saw the super cool in person pieces in Florida.

Dan

skyofcrack
02-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Correction: I did receive one preview each from The Shining and The Stand as well as who's doing the art for Night Shift on 12/29/14.

Brian James Freeman
02-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Okay, I'll post the The Shining and The Stand previews tomorrow!

Brian

burial
02-06-2015, 12:37 AM
Correction: I did receive one preview each from The Shining and The Stand as well as who's doing the art for Night Shift on 12/29/14.

I received that preview... awesome... it helped me ro make a final decision to buy whole series

Theli
02-06-2015, 02:46 AM

Brian

Never got any previews.

Nor did I.

Nor I as well!

I didn't either.

herbertwest
02-06-2015, 04:00 AM
Neither did I

stroppygoblin
02-06-2015, 04:12 AM
Brian, any possibility of producing more of some of the out of stock custom slipcases? I know a lot of people (including myself) would like to get their hands on a Duma Key, UK Dr Sleep, UTD, etc

uturn83
02-06-2015, 04:54 AM
Agreed!

goheat
02-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I'd love a couple of the sold out slipcases!

Brian James Freeman
02-06-2015, 08:55 AM
Brian, any possibility of producing more of some of the out of stock custom slipcases? I know a lot of people (including myself) would like to get their hands on a Duma Key, UK Dr Sleep, UTD, etc

I wish we could because there are a couple I no longer have for my personal collection because I gave mine to a customer who lost his collection in a fire. Unfortunately, the set-up costs of a new run for us are prohibitive, which makes it unlikely we'll do more.

I know someone posted information on here for a slipcase maker in the UK (?) who seems to have REALLY reasonable costs. His material costs are so much better than what our vendors are paying the US suppliers, it's a little insane!

Brian

stroppygoblin
02-06-2015, 08:58 AM

I wish we could because there are a couple I no longer have for my personal collection because I gave mine to a customer who lost his collection in a fire. Unfortunately, the set-up costs of a new run for us are prohibitive, which makes it unlikely we'll do more.

I know someone posted information on here for a slipcase maker in the UK (?) who seems to have REALLY reasonable costs. His material costs are so much better than what our vendors are paying the US suppliers, it's a little insane!

Brian

Yeah that's Jeff. He has a great supplier who seems to turn around new plates amazingly fast.
(He is in the UK)

zelig
02-06-2015, 10:01 AM
I don't suppose it's possible to use the plates from CD and have Jeff make the slipcase from it right? Copyright issues? Technical issues? I'm just thinking out loud and probably shouldn't do that too often...

Brian James Freeman
02-06-2015, 10:05 AM
I don't suppose it's possible to use the plates from CD and have Jeff make the slipcase from it right? Copyright issues? Technical issues? I'm just thinking out loud and probably shouldn't do that too often...

Could definitely be worth exploring for the ones we still have the plates for! Let me see which plates we have, and then we can ask Jeff if his machinery can use this size plate, etc.

Brian

zelig
02-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Great! Thanks Brian!

frik
02-06-2015, 10:26 AM

Brian

No previews here.

sk

mikejess
02-06-2015, 01:13 PM
I did not see any previews, which is odd as I have not missed any other emails.

racerx45
02-06-2015, 01:47 PM
I did receive the email on Jan 8th with the subject line ‘Stephen King Special Edition News!”. It had links to three photos for ‘Salem’s Lot and one each for The Shining and The Stand.

MandaBunny
02-06-2015, 02:10 PM
I did not see any previews, which is odd as I have not missed any other emails.

I didn't see any either. I went back through my emails and don't see anything. :cry:

Bev Vincent
02-06-2015, 02:43 PM
I did receive the email on Jan 8th with the subject line ‘Stephen King Special Edition News!”. It had links to three photos for ‘Salem’s Lot and one each for The Shining and The Stand.

Same here, from updates@cemeterydance.com. It didn't have the images, but instead links to them with instructions not to share with the general public.

AstroDad
02-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Same here. No previews. Not this week, and not on January 8th as some others got

Brian James Freeman
02-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Here are the first art previews of The Shining and The Stand for anyone who missed them.

Don Maitz:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/misc/DD/theshiningpreview01.jpg

Ned Dameron:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/images/misc/DD/thestandpreview01.jpg

Best,
Brian

AstroDad
02-06-2015, 07:15 PM
ok wait...I HAVE seen those...found the email, it was from 12/29. I just wasn't looking that far back. Thanks for posting though!

Dano
02-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Beautiful!

Dan

goheat
02-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Thanks, they look fantastic, Brian!

Merlin1958
02-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Oh, those look fabulous!!!

herbertwest
02-07-2015, 01:44 AM
Wonderful !

killjoy72
02-07-2015, 05:06 AM
Man, I can not wait for the Shining! Looks fantastic!

mkb.redux
02-07-2015, 05:32 AM
Received my shipping notices for the OP Grab Bag yesterday; unfortunately, I'm off today on a 2-week trip and won't see them--other than via FT--until I'm back. Very interested in hearing what those of you who have also ordered it receive.

Br!an
02-07-2015, 06:16 AM
Received my shipping notices for the OP Grab Bag yesterday; unfortunately, I'm off today on a 2-week trip and won't see them--other than via FT--until I'm back. Very interested in hearing what those of you who have also ordered it receive.

I received my notice Thursday. I have no idea if each grab bag will be the same or different, but I'll post what I receive.

Br!an
02-07-2015, 06:16 AM
I'm glad I checked to see if I had used my Book Club coupon from last month. I almost lost out!

skyofcrack
02-07-2015, 06:19 AM
My Grab Bag is on the way and should arrive by Monday. I'll post what I get.

allasorte
02-07-2015, 07:11 AM

The final piece of your puzzle for your grab bag is coming? I know my last email was several weeks ago and they mentioned then, 1-3 months for the final book. They never mentioned what it would be. Maybe you have more priority then me :(. I am looking forward for you telling us what it is. Thanks for the heads up!

webstar1000
02-07-2015, 07:15 AM
The art that Don showed is at the Florida event was truley out of this world. The talk he gave on how he did each piece was amazing. You don't realiaze how much an artist goes through to get each peice just right in their eyes. Don has knocked it right out of the park on the Shinning. The pieces he brought were breathtaking. This book will sell out big time... And in no time!

Br!an
02-07-2015, 08:39 AM

The final piece of your puzzle for your grab bag is coming? I know my last email was several weeks ago and they mentioned then, 1-3 months for the final book. They never mentioned what it would be. Maybe you have more priority then me :(. I am looking forward for you telling us what it is. Thanks for the heads up!

This is the "End of the Year Out of Print Grab Bag! Not the remaining part of the Stephen King grab bag.

Brian James Freeman
02-07-2015, 12:16 PM
The art that Don showed is at the Florida event was truley out of this world. The talk he gave on how he did each piece was amazing. You don't realiaze how much an artist goes through to get each peice just right in their eyes. Don has knocked it right out of the park on the Shinning. The pieces he brought were breathtaking. This book will sell out big time... And in no time!

I wish I could have been there for that talk! This has been a really fun project to work on, art-wise.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
02-07-2015, 12:17 PM

I received my notice Thursday. I have no idea if each grab bag will be the same or different, but I'll post what I receive.

I think they're mostly the same. We noticed we had a few very similarly sized stacks of books on out Out of Print shelf, which is why we offered the Grab Bag. There might be some small differences based on what we had.

Brian

Br!an
02-07-2015, 01:29 PM

I wish I could have been there for that talk! This has been a really fun project to work on, art-wise.

Brian

I'm fairly certain that Jerome filmed the presentation. Perhaps he'll share with us.

Randall Flagg
02-07-2015, 01:33 PM

Brian

I'm fairly certain that Jerome filmed the presentation. Perhaps he'll share with us.
I din't film anything. I have still shots, many of which I have posted. I tried to spend more time enjoying the event, rather than being a videographer.

Merlin1958
02-07-2015, 02:41 PM

Brian

As a result of working with various artists for the HF over the years, I can tell you it's a fascinating look into the behind the scenes "process" each artist goes through to produce the images in the end. Each has his/her own personal process and there is much more to the pieces than you would normally think. Ned Dameron, for instance, thoroughly plans, sketch's and maps out every piece he does and that's in addition to thoroughly reviewing the source material in depth. I have several envelopes with "pre-piece" sketching and notes from the, Dolso Case Art editions and several remarques. Really interesting stuff!!!

Br!an
02-07-2015, 03:57 PM

Brian

I din't film anything. I have still shots, many of which I have posted. I tried to spend more time enjoying the event, rather than being a videographer.

I stand corrected.

Actually I sit corrected. :cool:

Don talked about the whole spectrum of his job. It was quite informative. He has to research the book/story itself of course. In the case of The Shining he also had to familiarize himself with the hotel, the snow mobile and the gas can, etc., of that time. He attempts to avoid anachronisms in his art.

He also has to be sure that the scene he's painting is in the novel and not just the movie!!!

He works out the problems in preliminary sketches/drawings/paintings. He tries to figure it out as early as possible, because if he figures it out once he's painted the final painting then it's a bit late.

Don Maitz is a talented professional artist. I am proud to have met him on more than one occasion. I am the proud owner of some of his fine work. I intend to be the proud owner of much more.

webstar1000
02-07-2015, 09:10 PM

Brian

As a result of working with various artists for the HF over the years, I can tell you it's a fascinating look into the behind the scenes "process" each artist goes through to produce the images in the end. Each has his/her own personal process and there is much more to the pieces than you would normally think. Ned Dameron, for instance, thoroughly plans, sketch's and maps out every piece he does and that's in addition to thoroughly reviewing the source material in depth. I have several envelopes with "pre-piece" sketching and notes from the, Dolso Case Art editions and several remarques. Really interesting stuff!!!

Well said my brother!

Room 217 Caretaker
02-08-2015, 03:50 AM

Brian

I can speak from experience with this as well. When collaborating with Glenn Chadbourne on my story "Marvin's Retirement" the process he went through was amazing. He actually didn't want to read the story, he wanted to understand my visions. He ran away with my imagination and nailed it. His work actually intrigued me enough that I changed two areas of the story to match the art.

All these guys are amazing.

Mulleins

T-Dogz_AK47
02-08-2015, 11:24 AM

Brian

I can speak from experience with this as well. When collaborating with Glenn Chadbourne on my story "Marvin's Retirement" the process he went through was amazing. He actually didn't want to read the story, he wanted to understand my visions. He ran away with my imagination and nailed it. His work actually intrigued me enough that I changed two areas of the story to match the art.

All these guys are amazing.

Mulleins

That is all types of AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

dnemec
02-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Someone was asking for OOP grab bag pics. Here's what I received yesterday...

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg592/TacCommE21/dez%20books/oop%20grab%20bag.jpg (http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/TacCommE21/media/dez%20books/oop%20grab%20bag.jpg.html)

Only had the Shivers, so it's almost all new to me!

BTW, anyone need a signed copy of Shivers VII...?

Br!an
02-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Someone was asking for OOP grab bag pics. Here's what I received...

Damn! I have all but one!

Dan
02-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Someone was asking for OOP grab bag pics. Here's what I received...

Damn! I have all but one!

Same here. I've ordered pretty much every grab bag for the last few years, but skipped this one. Mostly because I have every book of theirs that I want that was printed in the last 3 to 4 years. Still a great deal for the books you received. Congrats!

zelig
02-08-2015, 03:13 PM
I don't have any, so I guess it will be a good Grab Bag for me.

WeDealInLead
02-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Is the foreword in 'Salem's Lot something King wrote for this edition or a reprint? Thanks.

Brian James Freeman
02-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Is the foreword in 'Salem's Lot something King wrote for this edition or a reprint? Thanks.

It's a reprint. Unfortunately, he doesn't have time in his schedule to contribute anything new for any of the volumes, so we're working with his office to find the best option of something he has written about each book in the past -- an essay, an introduction, etc.

Brian

Ben Mears
02-09-2015, 03:14 AM

The link above shared by killjoy72 provides an excellent insight to David Palumbo's illustrations for 'Salem's Lot and illustrates the caliber of artists CD has chosen for the Doubleday series.

webstar1000
02-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Is anyone getting David or Glen to remarque their Salems?

jonp
02-09-2015, 10:45 AM

Yes, Both if not sold out, and you Kris?

zelig
02-09-2015, 11:12 AM
I'm just going with the Palumbo one.

Dano
02-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Palumbo!

Dan

Jay127
02-09-2015, 11:13 AM
I ordered just the Palumbo one

zelig
02-09-2015, 11:19 AM
For those who ordered the Lettered, would you put the artwork in that edition, or one of the other two?

jonp
02-09-2015, 11:20 AM
For those who ordered the Lettered, would you put the artwork in that edition, or one of the other two?

Only ordered the lettered so going in that one.

webstar1000
02-09-2015, 11:23 AM
I was going to... but then it would bother me that I could not get the first one done.... I do not want a set that has one done here and one done there. The other 4 artists may not have time (or one or two might). I think I am going to pass...

zelig
02-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Okay thanks Jon...

racerx45
02-09-2015, 12:13 PM
I was going to... but then it would bother me that I could not get the first one done.... I do not want a set that has one done here and one done there. The other 4 artists may not have time (or one or two might). I think I am going to pass...

Same here

Merlin1958
02-09-2015, 04:59 PM
With regard to the whole artist process discussion, Glen had this to say...

I was reading one of the CD threads on Palaver about different
stages and prelimary stuff artists go through when creating work for projects. I
remember when I was painting/drawing stuff for different SK gigs I used to LIVE
with different pieces for days on end. I'd place a painting next to my bed and
when I woke up I'd think "no .. . that's not quite right, I can do better" I'd
take it along when I went to the grocerie store, the car dealership getting my
oil changed; pretty much everywhere I went throughout an average day. I think a
lot of we artists carry a little OCD when it comes to these things--which is a
good thing.

AstroDad
02-09-2015, 05:00 PM

Same here for my AE. Mindy confirmed it this afternoon. Since they only offered 100 for Palumbo I really had no concept for how long it takes to sell them out.

Brian James Freeman
02-09-2015, 06:54 PM

Same here for my AE. Mindy confirmed it this afternoon. Since they only offered 100 for Palumbo I really had no concept for how long it takes to sell them out.

I think we may run out before we get through all of the requests. There were 75 gone when Mindy had to leave for the day, and the email was still pouring in.

Brian

carlosdetweiller
02-09-2015, 07:01 PM

No. Neither one. I am suffering from Remarque Fatigue Syndrome (RFS). I fear that this is a terminal condition.

Dano
02-09-2015, 08:21 PM

I think we may run out before we get through all of the requests. There were 75 gone when Mindy had to leave for the day, and the email was still pouring in.

Brian

Phew! Glad I jumped in!

Dan

TCCBodhi
02-09-2015, 10:03 PM
I got both the Palumbo and Chadbourne, on the strength of the Doctor Sleep remarque (Blue Fly Man), though hope for perhaps a slightly different style for the Salems' Lot. The Palumbo illustrations look fantantic and each of them showcase very real moments in my young teenage dreams!

I'm on board for The Shining and absolutely salivating for The Stand!

Randall Flagg
02-10-2015, 12:37 PM
23 years ago CD issued this book, with 35 signatures from noted authors including Robert McCammon, Dean Koontz, and Joe Lansdale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Best-of-the-Horror-Show-Cemetery-Dance-Kontz-McCammon-Brite-Schow-/201284337749?

Bid away!

Tommy
02-10-2015, 12:56 PM

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg592/TacCommE21/dez%20books/oop%20grab%20bag.jpg (http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/TacCommE21/media/dez%20books/oop%20grab%20bag.jpg.html)

Ha! I got the same stack of books in my grab bag, already had four of them but I am glad about A Simple Plan and the Bentley Little Book!

ICry4Oy
02-10-2015, 06:18 PM

Ha! I got the same stack of books in my grab bag, already had four of them but I am glad about A Simple Plan and the Bentley Little Book!

Also got that exact same stack of books. I'm just glad Brian didn't give me six copies of "Pork Pie Hat"! :evil:

Brian James Freeman
02-11-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm just glad Brian didn't give me six copies of "Pork Pie Hat"! :evil:

Saving them for your birthday! :)

Roseannebarr
02-11-2015, 01:32 PM
I'm just glad Brian didn't give me six copies of "Pork Pie Hat"! :evil:

Saving them for your birthday! :)

Brian,

Can i get a proof of the Simple Plan for my birthday? I love that book. i have enough copies of Pork Pie Hat. :)

Better Yet, I love Gone Girl! I will take a proof of that book instead.

If you want a new author ---- The girl on the train is great.

I loved all 3 books!

Simple Plan
Gone Girl
Girl on the Train.

allasorte
02-11-2015, 07:12 PM
I received an email today that CD is mailing me the "Faithful" gift edition. Am I supposed to appease Merlin1958 and video tape me burning it.....or can I add it to my collection?

tippy4
02-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Where are you on the "Revival" slip cases?

Haven't heard much since they fired up the plant for the year, but I'll check in with them soon. We're using a pretty cool material for this one. It's different than any we've used before and it really plays off the cover artwork nicely.

Brian

Any update?

racerx45
02-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Lots of good new on the Cemetery Dance Production (http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PRODUCTION) page today.

allasorte
02-11-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm actually waiting for both editions of "The Dark Tower Companion." It was nice to see the book is coming along. Thanks!

KingKorn
02-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Lots of good new on the Cemetery Dance Production (http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PRODUCTION) page today.

Great updates, but arrgggh.... no movement on Gone Girl... Many of us are really looking forward to that one.

Brian James Freeman
02-11-2015, 09:18 PM

Great updates, but arrgggh.... no movement on Gone Girl... Many of us are really looking forward to that one.

Not much we can do at this point, unfortunately. The sheets will return when they return, you know? Can't make someone sign faster than they want to sign.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
02-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Where are you on the "Revival" slip cases?

Haven't heard much since they fired up the plant for the year, but I'll check in with them soon. We're using a pretty cool material for this one. It's different than any we've used before and it really plays off the cover artwork nicely.

Brian

Any update?

We'll email an update out to those who ordered the cases soon, but it looks like there was a problem with sourcing the covering material that we weren't aware of until I asked and the case maker checked with their supplier. It's now coming from an alternate supplier in Europe, which is going to delay things a bit. I had expected to HAVE the cases this month, but they may not even start making them until March 1st. :sigh:

Brian

T-Dogz_AK47
02-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Not much we can do at this point, unfortunately. The sheets will return when they return, you know? Can't make someone sign faster than they want to sign.

Brian

Well, there are a few ways you can... LOL! :evil: :lol:

Al Capone nailed it perfectly when he said...

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word".

Do you need some of the HF Mob boys to pay her a visit? :shoot:

I am sure Don Merlin wont mind lending you some ruthless gun toking associates to "advise" her to sign the pages for you, Brian... :P

stroppygoblin
02-12-2015, 03:40 AM
Brian - any chance the AE of Faithful will ship in the next 2 - 3 weeks? I have a few books waiting at my Mail forwarding address and will hold off shipping to include this if thats a possibility. They only hold for 30 days so if it's longer I wont wait and will ship separately when it arrives.

Apologies for imposing my 1st world problems on your schedule! :evil:

Jimimck
02-12-2015, 03:25 PM
Stroppy, is that one of those US based mail forward services? if so, are the shipping costs any better/worse than eBay/CD/other publishers?

Brian James Freeman
02-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Stroppy, is that one of those US based mail forward services? if so, are the shipping costs any better/worse than eBay/CD/other publishers?

I'd love to hear more, too, because we have a lot of collectors who ask about this sort of thing!

stroppygoblin
02-12-2015, 04:24 PM

Yes, I use ipsparcel.com. The more you ship the lower the overall cost. I normally ship around 6 - 8 items and the costs are approx 50% of the ebay sellers costs. They use DHL and Fedex and provide $300 of insurance for free (you can add more insurance at a cost of $2 per additional $100) shipping from the US to my door averages 3 days. They do not open your parcels (unless you want them repacked to consolidate space - but I have never used this service).

I have used them many , many times - Never lost or damaged a parcel.

Edit: 1 thing, it's not cost effective to use them for a single parcel. The savings kick in around 3 or more.

Jimimck
02-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the info, always good to see what options there are.

JulesH
02-12-2015, 11:17 PM
I also use ipsparcel.com and would highly recommend them. They do not charge a monthly fee as some of the others do and the parcels always arrive promtly and intact. I usually wait until I have 4 or more items before shipping which makes it very cost effective :).

webstar1000
02-13-2015, 04:53 AM
I also use ipsparcel.com and would highly recommend them. They do not charge a monthly fee as some of the others do and the parcels always arrive promtly and intact. I usually wait until I have 4 or more items before shipping which makes it very cost effective :).

I do the same... I ship all CD's stuff to David at Bett's and I usually have a bunch of stuff from him as he will hold it. Then when I have a large box done up... time to shop and it SAVES tons of cash! I also do not buy insurance as my library coverage covers books I own anywhere they are!

JasonUK
02-13-2015, 05:20 AM

Brian

Why wouldn't you just include a deadline in the contract?

Brian James Freeman
02-13-2015, 05:32 AM

Brian

Great idea, but the New York publisher and the agent would never allow it. Also, what do we do if the author doesn't sign by the deadline if we could put one in the contract? Cancel the book? Even if we did cancel the book, we'd still have to pay the rights holder for the rights because there's no way a big six conglomerate would ever allow their money to be dependent on the author signing on time. So then we'd be out five figures in advance payments and have no book to ship the collectors. Not really a win-win situation there, unfortunately... :)

Brian

racerx45
02-13-2015, 09:23 AM

Brian

Great idea, but the New York publisher and the agent would never allow it. Also, what do we do if the author doesn't sign by the deadline if we could put one in the contract? Cancel the book? Even if we did cancel the book, we'd still have to pay the rights holder for the rights because there's no way a big six conglomerate would ever allow their money to be dependent on the author signing on time. So then we'd be out five figures in advance payments and have no book to ship the collectors. Not really a win-win situation there, unfortunately... :)

Brian

I am just speculating here. With the movie release and all that entails I would guess there is/was a lot of demand for her time. I believe this is her first singed limited so she may not have realized the time it takes on a project like this and with these two over lapping it was not the best timing. I am hoping she finds the time to finish soon because I too have one on order.

Brian James Freeman
02-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Not speaking about any particular author here:

In general, when it comes to signature sheets, sometimes there are also developments that occur in an author's life that delays things. Sometimes those things are public and we'll mention them as the reason for the delay, but sometimes they are private matters and it's not our place to put the news out there. Death in the family, new addition to the family, divorces, medical issues, messy moves, job losses, etc. We do follow up with the author or their agent, whoever is most appropriate, and remind them that we have collectors waiting.

Signature sheets can be one of the more frustrating parts of the process. There is one author I've been waiting on for 2.5 years now, I think, and I keep hearing from the business manager that the sheets are somewhere in his "man cave" and no one else has a key! Not that it matters because he still hasn't actually signed them. The New York publisher is annoyed because they have to extend the rights for another year, the collectors are annoyed at me for not beating the author into submission, etc. Ugh...

And, of course, every now and then signature sheets go missing in transit, which has happened twice in the last year. That's never fun, especially when it's an anthology that was almost done...!

That said, 95% of our authors are pretty amazing about turning the sheets around on schedule. They don't get any credit for doing that, at least not in public, but God bless 'em because they make everything else go just a little bit easier!

Brian

Merlin1958
02-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Well said, Brian!!!

bugen
02-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Well said, Brian!!!

Yes, it was. It's easy to look at publishers and scowl when something's gone off-track, because they're our first point of contact. But it's not fair.

You want a box created by a popular construction company? Establish the timelines and expect them to be held. You want an sculpture created by a popular artist? Establish the timelines, cross your fingers and don't hold your breath.

sharki69
02-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Posted on Facebook an hour ago

Friday the 13th THIRTEEN POUND Grab Bag!

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/X_GB021315

goheat
02-13-2015, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the notification, Shac! I bit the bullet and ordered one (my first CD Grab Bag).

Brian James Freeman
02-13-2015, 01:50 PM

Note that these won't be shipping until the end of March because we're receiving a few products from other publishers to fill a few of the slots... and also because Dan is still buried in shipping! I'm pretty sure he wasn't too thrilled with me when I told him what we we're selling today! ;)

Brian

Merlin1958
02-13-2015, 01:52 PM

Note that these won't be shipping until the end of March because we're receiving a few products from other publishers to fill a few of the slots... and also because Dan is still buried in shipping! I'm pretty sure he wasn't too thrilled with me when I told him what we were selling today! ;)

Brian

Poor guy!!! Keep a stiff upper lip, Dan!!! You make the magic happen!!!

goheat
02-13-2015, 01:53 PM

Note that these won't be shipping until the end of March because we're receiving a few products from other publishers to fill a few of the slots... and also because Dan is still buried in shipping! I'm pretty sure he wasn't too thrilled with me when I told him what we were selling today! ;)

Brian

That's fine, I just never ordered a Grab Bag before, so I snagged one! Also ordered a Salem's Lot Gift the other day and a couple of slipcases with the 50% off sale a couple weeks ago. Had bought the Carrie GE elsewhere and was highly impressed! Woot!

Brian James Freeman
02-13-2015, 01:55 PM
That's fine, I just never ordered a Grab Bag before, so I snagged one! Also ordered a Salem's Lot Gift the other day and a couple of slipcases with the 50% off sale a couple weeks ago. Had bought the Carrie GE elsewhere and was highly impressed! Woot!

Thanks for the orders and the kind words about Carrie!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
02-13-2015, 01:57 PM
"God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Totally off topic, but that's one of my favorite lines from Duma Key. I had read the novel a couple of times, and I actually just listened to the audiobook for the first time last week and was really pleased with the reading.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
02-13-2015, 02:00 PM
(Nothing to see here folks, just an empty post!)

02-13-2015, 02:00 PM

Note that these won't be shipping until the end of March because we're receiving a few products from other publishers to fill a few of the slots... and also because Dan is still buried in shipping! I'm pretty sure he wasn't too thrilled with me when I told him what we we're selling today! ;)

Brian

Any chance that there'll be some SK material in these?

goheat
02-13-2015, 02:03 PM
"God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Totally off topic, but that's one of my favorite lines from Duma Key. I had read the novel a couple of times, and I actually just listened to the audiobook for the first time last week and was really pleased with the reading.

Brian

Yeah, that line, out of the many memorable one's in his books, stuck with me after reading Duma Key. Mr. Mercedes had a couple that made me laugh, on the other hand:
"Life is a crap carnival with shit prizes" and "...even on the darkest day, the sun shines on some dog's ass." LOL!

zelig
02-13-2015, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the notification, Shac! I bit the bullet and ordered one (my first CD Grab Bag).

You won't be sorry.. I've been really pleased with the Grab Bag's I've ordered in the past.

Brian James Freeman
02-13-2015, 02:10 PM

Brian

Any chance that there'll be some SK material in these?

I would say, other than maybe some trade hardcovers like Revival and Mr. Mercedes, nothing BY King. Maybe something about King. Not sure about that yet. I have to see what the other publishers send me!

Brian

TCCBodhi
02-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Just looking at my cabinet and decided to step up my protection a notch with a couple slip covers. It will be nice to get Doctor Sleep & Revival nicely protected AND displayed. Thanks to Brian and CD for making that happen.

mkb.redux
02-15-2015, 10:33 AM

Brian, likely that these will be put together as different mixes of titles, so that if multiple Grab Bags were ordered, they'd be different books? Or are you drawing primarily from the same shelves?

Brian James Freeman
02-15-2015, 11:40 AM

Brian, likely that these will be put together as different mixes of titles, so that if multiple Grab Bags were ordered, they'd be different books? Or are you drawing primarily from the same shelves?

If you order two Grab Bags on the same order, we will make sure it's different items. Separate orders for Grab Bags will almost definitely get overlap in the items. More than two Grab Bags, even on the same order, will more than likely have overlap because it takes a lot of items to reach 13 pounds, ha!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
02-16-2015, 10:10 AM
There is an important update going out to everyone who ordered the Lettered Edition of The Century’s Best Horror Fiction directly from us. The subject line is "Important Cemetery Dance order update!" and you should see it in your in-box in the next few hours. If you ordered this edition from us and you don't see the update by 5 PM today eastern time, drop me a line. Thanks!

Brian

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-16-2015, 10:16 AM
There is an important update going out to everyone who ordered the Lettered Edition of The Century’s Best Horror Fiction directly from us. The subject line is "Important Cemetery Dance order update!" and you should see it in your in-box in the next few hours. If you ordered this edition from us and you don't see the update by 5 PM today eastern time, drop me a line. Thanks!

Brian

I thought that had been released ages ago? Anyone want to sell me theirs?

Brian James Freeman
02-16-2015, 10:26 AM

Brian

I thought that had been released ages ago? Anyone want to sell me theirs?

The Artist Edition shipped a long time ago because we used a different vendor for the cases -- we tried wooden ones for the first time! The Lettered Edition is housed in a different sort of traycase than we've ever used before, but made with the usual materials you would expect. It looks really cool.

Brian

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-16-2015, 02:17 PM
I bought the Artist Edition, but I hate the wooden case. It's too big, heavy and awkward on the shelf. The clasp gets in the way of other books. I think the Lettered sounds a much better option.

T-Dogz_AK47
02-16-2015, 02:26 PM
The Artist Edition shipped a long time ago because we used a different vendor for the cases -- we tried wooden ones for the first time! The Lettered Edition is housed in a different sort of traycase than we've ever used before, but made with the usual materials you would expect. It looks really cool.

Brian

The traycase for this Lettered Edition sounds very intriguing, and if it's anything like the traycases produced for CD's Stephen King Lettered Editions, it will be absolutely AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

Brian, do you have any photos of this traycase you could share with us?

Brian James Freeman
02-16-2015, 02:27 PM

Brian

The traycase for this Lettered Edition sounds very intriguing, and if it's anything like the traycases produced for CD's Stephen King Lettered Editions, it will be absolutely AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

Brian, do you have any photos of this traycase you could share with us?

I'll post something once they're all here!

Brian

KingKorn
02-17-2015, 07:42 AM
I see from an email update that CD acquired more copies of the UK Revival S/L w/facsimile signature. For a 500 copy edition that was initially only possible to buy if you knew someone in the UK, I don't understand how there are so many copies still up for sale from non-private sellers. I think Sub Press or some other publisher still has copies available as well.

I know that it's not the most desired S/L ever, and it's a little pricey for a facsimile signed S/L, but it's only 500 copies... worldwide! It's just blowing my mind that 500 collectors didn't snatch these up in the first weeks they were out.

I was so curious about this that when I received a copy I bought through Sub Press a couple months ago, I was suspicious if there were truly only 500 of these were printed. But sure enough the limitation page is numbered. I thought maybe they weren't numbered, and therefore less verifiable that only 500 are in circulation.

Anyone else surprised by how slowly this Revival limited has sold?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-17-2015, 07:49 AM

The quality is the same as a normal trade edition, i.e. rubbish.
It is not signed by King.
It is a UK and not a US edition

No I'm certainly not surprised it is not selling so well.

AstroDad
02-17-2015, 08:16 AM
I know that it's not the most desired S/L ever, and it's a little pricey for a facsimile signed S/L, but it's only 500 copies... worldwide!

This wouldn't really qualify as a s/l in my eyes, more just 'limited'. In my opinion a facsimile signature is borderline tacky to market as though it adds value (I do like the guitar pick though).

These are going for $165 or so on Ebay as well, no reason to pay retail for them.

webstar1000
02-17-2015, 08:18 AM
I know that it's not the most desired S/L ever, and it's a little pricey for a facsimile signed S/L, but it's only 500 copies... worldwide!

This wouldn't really qualify as a s/l in my eyes, more just 'limited'. In my opinion a facsimile signature is borderline tacky to market as though it adds value (I do like the guitar pick though).

These are going for $165 or so on Ebay as well, no reason to pay retail for them.

Yeah I passed on this one too...

jhanic
02-17-2015, 08:19 AM
I see from an email update that CD acquired more copies of the UK Revival S/L w/facsimile signature. For a 500 copy edition that was initially only possible to buy if you knew someone in the UK, I don't understand how there are so many copies still up for sale from non-private sellers. I think Sub Press or some other publisher still has copies available as well.

I know that it's not the most desired S/L ever, and it's a little pricey for a facsimile signed S/L, but it's only 500 copies... worldwide! It's just blowing my mind that 500 collectors didn't snatch these up in the first weeks they were out.

I was so curious about this that when I received a copy I bought through Sub Press a couple months ago, I was suspicious if there were truly only 500 of these were printed. But sure enough the limitation page is numbered. I thought maybe they weren't numbered, and therefore less verifiable that only 500 are in circulation.

My copy from CD is due to arrived today. Just waiting on the mailman.

John

zelig
02-17-2015, 08:58 AM
I'd say it mainly appeals to the completists. I've seen lots of negative comments about it, and it makes sense... but I like having a copy in my collection...

dnemec
02-17-2015, 09:08 AM
It looks gorgeous. I just can't bring myself to spend $200 on it. Although if I saw it on ebay for $165, I'd be tempted.

Room 217 Caretaker
02-17-2015, 10:33 AM
I'd say it mainly appeals to the completists. I've seen lots of negative comments about it, and it makes sense... but I like having a copy in my collection...

I must be the only one that likes it....haha. I'm disappointed in the story, but like the UK facsimile limited.

I've missed the "negative comments" mentioned above. Are they towards the story or the limited?

Mulleins

jhanic
02-17-2015, 11:02 AM
I just got my copy of the UK limited Revival, number 355. A very nice presentation.

John

wolfehr
02-17-2015, 11:27 AM
I do like the guitar pick though

I play guitar, so that was the entire reason I pre-ordered. Kind of wishing I passed now...

zelig
02-17-2015, 11:33 AM
I've missed the "negative comments" mentioned above. Are they towards the story or the limited?

Mulleins

I was referring some comments I'd seen at the time it was released, about the UK limited not the story... I just got the feeling that most people weren't overly excited about it... I like it...

racerx45
02-17-2015, 05:34 PM
My grab bag arrived today. I have two of them already but the rest are new. Very happy.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3R994Xi52Jo/VOPrYw4xFtI/AAAAAAAAD6E/gZhEa3hpPxs/w800-h536-no/CDOPGB.jpg

zelig
02-17-2015, 05:39 PM
Congratulations!

T-Dogz_AK47
02-20-2015, 01:42 PM
I have just received my Artist Edition of Carrie in the post and WOW! That is one AWESOME edition! I absolutely love it! :rock: :thumbsup:

allasorte
02-20-2015, 02:42 PM
CD really knows how to publish. I love their artwork and presentation of their books. Impressive for sure.

T-Dogz_AK47
02-20-2015, 02:48 PM
I just read tonight's CDCC offer and immediately jumped right on it!!! :excited:

Considering the awesomeness of Glenn Chadbourne and the number that I will be matching for this, I would be mad not to... :drool:

Cemetery Dance + Glenn Chadbourne = AWESOME SAUCE!!! :rock:

killjoy72
02-20-2015, 06:57 PM
I'm holding out for the eventual David Palumbo one...

Tommy
02-21-2015, 07:58 AM
I just read tonight's CDCC offer and immediately jumped right on it!!! :excited:

Considering the awesomeness of Glenn Chadbourne and the number that I will be matching for this, I would be mad not to... :drool:

The first line of that email asked people not to share this information :doh:

T-Dogz_AK47
02-21-2015, 08:18 AM

And I haven't...

There is nothing in my previous post that explicitly mentions what was in that email.

Tommy
02-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Nothing explicit but implicit, why did you have to say anything at all until it was formally announced?

burial
02-21-2015, 09:20 AM
I didn't receive any info and i ordered all series...

EDIT:
Sorry... it ended in my spam folder...
I'm definitely in for this one :)

T-Dogz_AK47
02-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Nothing explicit but implicit, why did you have to say anything at all until it was formally announced?

Even implicitly, it is not possible to know what my previous post is referring to without reading the email from CD first.

I don't see why you are getting worked up. It's is a complete non issue.

burial
02-21-2015, 10:14 AM

Even implicitly, it is not possible to know what my previous post is referring to without reading the email from CD first.

I don't see why you are getting worked up. It's is a complete non issue.

T-Dogz_AK47,
thank you... without your message I would miss the opportunity for that item :)
your post made me to check my e-mail (and spam folder)

Roseannebarr
02-21-2015, 10:28 AM

And I haven't...

There is nothing in my previous post that explicitly mentions what was in that email.

My first guess is expensive remarks by chadbourne in the next. Cd release, second guess is art portfolio for carrie.
Re reading your email, it has to be art portfolio. Am I right.

T-Dogz_AK47
02-21-2015, 10:44 AM

And I haven't...

My first guess is expensive remarks by chadbourne in the next. Cd release, second guess is art portfolio for carrie.

Nope. :P

Tommy
02-21-2015, 11:25 AM

That's kind of the point though, people who haven't read the email will get curious and start sending questions to Brian and the gang at CD to find out what you are talking about

Roseannebarr
02-21-2015, 11:45 AM
,m

That's kind of the point though, people who haven't read the email will get curious and start sending questions to Brian and the gang at CD to find out what you are talking about

Email sent to Brian! :redface1:

T-Dogz_AK47
02-21-2015, 12:05 PM

If anything, it demonstrates the importance of joining the CDCC. If anyone out there is curious about the email that was sent to CDCC members, then they should have joined. It's as simple as that.

Br!an
02-21-2015, 12:15 PM

"PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THIS INFORMATION ANYWHERE"

Tommy
02-21-2015, 12:17 PM

If anything, it demonstrates the importance of joining the CDCC. If anyone out there is curious about the email that was sent to CDCC members, then they should have joined. It's as simple as that.
Again, there need be no curiosity (or curious emails) if said email was not mentioned in a public forum

Tommy
02-21-2015, 12:21 PM
OK I am done monopolizing the CD thread, thanks for letting me rant, apologies Brian!

Merlin1958
02-21-2015, 12:57 PM
If my recent transgressions have taught me anything, maybe it is that we should ALL stop looking to correct, chastise or call anyone's intent into question until we have a full understanding of the posters intent. Just a thought. Seems like there is a lot of this permeating threads since my incident and I would really hate to think I was the beginning of it. Let's try to stop antagonizing one another and work together as a team once again, no?

Back on topic, CD is probably the foremost small press publisher of the "Horror" genre IMHO. That is largely due (again IMHO) to, Brian Freeman who, I believe deserves a hand from us all at this juncture. :clap::clap::clap:

jhanic
02-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Bill, I completely agree. At times it seems as if I'm back in elementary school. Lets all start acting as adults.

John

stroppygoblin
02-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Bill, I completely agree. At times it seems as if I'm back in elementary school. Lets all start acting as adults.

John

I spent the day dressed in camouflage and playing war (paint balling) I *hate* being an adult :evil:

Roseannebarr
02-22-2015, 06:59 AM

And I haven't...

Nope. :P

PM sent to me by another member. thank You!

But I am so confused on who is telling stories!?????? And why?

Ari_Racing
02-22-2015, 09:47 AM
I didn't get any emails :(

T-Dogz_AK47
02-22-2015, 09:50 AM
I didn't get any emails :(

Are you a member of the CDCC?

Ari_Racing
02-22-2015, 09:52 AM
Cemetery Dance C... C... Don't know what do the two "c"s mean, so I guess no.

frik
02-22-2015, 09:54 AM
Collector's Club, Ari.

sk

Ari_Racing
02-22-2015, 09:56 AM
Thanks! ...and no, I'm not a member, so that explains the lack of e-mail :P

T-Dogz_AK47
02-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Cemetery Dance C... C... Don't know what do the two "c"s mean, so I guess no.

An email with an exclusive advance offer was sent to members of the CDCC. Only members of the CDCC received this email and were able to take up the offer...

Ari_Racing
02-22-2015, 09:59 AM
Perfect. Thanks!

frik
02-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Now I did receive the e-mail, but I'm not really sure if I'm a member of the CC. Can't remember ever joining....

sk

T-Dogz_AK47
02-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Perfect. Thanks!

You should join the next CDCC, Ari. The offers are always great! :thumbsup:

Bev Vincent
02-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Three other authors and I have a round-robin novelette coming out at some point that will only be available to CDCC members: Ray Garton, Kealan Patrick Burke, Rich Chizmar and me.

Room 217 Caretaker
02-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Three other authors and I have a round-robin novelette coming out at some point that will only be available to CDCC members: Ray Garton, Kealan Patrick Burke, Rich Chizmar and me.

Excellent! I enjoy round-robin stories. I really enjoyed Looking Glass. That novelette had 11 or 12 writing it.

Mulleins

bdwyer19
02-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Perfect. Thanks!

How much is the CDCC King-related, compared to other authors?

Tony
02-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Well it's unlikely to be another King book, as their URLs are always sequential and there's nothing at http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/king010 (I'm not a member).

ELazansky
02-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Perfect. Thanks!

The last time I was in the CDCC I don't remember getting any King books. You get the special limited edition only available to members, lots of good discounts and advance notice of new items. Just didn't have enough to keep my interest.

Br!an
02-22-2015, 12:04 PM

It varies. The last couple of years there has been quite a lot of King.

Jimimck
02-22-2015, 12:10 PM
I'm not a member of CDCC and I received the recent email that prompted this discussion.

I'm not going to discuss the email though as we all know what the first rule of Fight Club is....

herbertwest
02-22-2015, 01:11 PM
I'm not a member of CDCC and I received the recent email that prompted this discussion.
I'm not going to discuss the email though as we all know what the first rule of Fight Club is....

Same here

killjoy72
02-22-2015, 02:52 PM
3rd.

stroppygoblin
02-22-2015, 03:27 PM
4th

mcdonaldj
02-22-2015, 03:33 PM
No direction to not repost in the email I got:

http://www.stephenkingrevisited.com/new-stephen-king-revisited-contest/

Best of luck.

Randall Flagg
02-22-2015, 06:48 PM
Everyone (Until directed by Brian Freeman) STFU

https://40.media.tumblr.com/b638664eed922c0881590fe265c2ec50/tumblr_mnsxp82GMD1rnr274o1_500.png

BTW, I'm kidding. This is the internet and the whole idea of the site is for people to come here for sneaks.
BTAIM, join the CDCC.

Joe315
02-22-2015, 08:50 PM
If you're going to say anything about an offer you should just say "great offer today". The club is common knowledge but if the email says don't say anything yet, don't.

Brian James Freeman
02-22-2015, 09:48 PM
HA! I meant to reply to this yesterday and time got away from me. (Been listening to The Gunslinger on audio for the first time since I was a kid and I'm thinking I might finally listen to the whole series...)

Anyway, members of the CDCC and customers who purchased a particular book were notified of a new item on Friday. The CDCC always gets early notification. The customers who purchased the particular book were notified to give them plenty of time to decide if they wanted matching numbers, etc, if the new item appealed to them. It's not a state secret or anything, but it does make my life and Mindy's life easier when no one posts until the public announcement. ;)

By the way, not only did members of the CDCC get early notification of our special edition of IT before we announced it to the general public, they also received a discount on all three editions. :)

Brian

herbertwest
02-23-2015, 02:38 AM
BTAIM, join the CDCC.

According to a online research, BTAIM = Be That As It May.
But what the hell does that mean?

ICry4Oy
02-23-2015, 08:18 AM
BTAIM, join the CDCC.

According to a online research, BTAIM = Be That As It May.
But what the hell does that mean?

From the online Cambridge dictionary:

English definition of “be that as it may” See all translations (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/be-that-as-it-may#translations)
be that as it may

formal
› used to mean (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/mean) that you accept (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/accept) that a piece (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/piece_1) of information (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/information) is true (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/true) but it does not change (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/change) your (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/your) opinion (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/opinion) of the subject (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/subject) you are discussing (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/discuss):

Building a new children's home (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/home) will cost (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/cost) a lot of money (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/money) but, be that as it may, there is an urgent (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/urgent) need for the facility (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/facility).

Joka42
02-23-2015, 09:51 AM
anyone have the proof list of CD books? /thanks :)

jhanic
02-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Not sure what you mean by proof list.

John

dnemec
02-23-2015, 12:47 PM
HA! I meant to reply to this yesterday and time got away from me. (Been listening to The Gunslinger on audio for the first time since I was a kid and I'm thinking I might finally listen to the whole series...)

Anyway, members of the CDCC and customers who purchased a particular book were notified of a new item on Friday. The CDCC always gets early notification. The customers who purchased the particular book were notified to give them plenty of time to decide if they wanted matching numbers, etc, if the new item appealed to them. It's not a state secret or anything, but it does make my life and Mindy's life easier when no one posts until the public announcement. ;)

By the way, not only did members of the CDCC get early notification of our special edition of IT before we announced it to the general public, they also received a discount on all three editions. :)

Brian

Translation:

JOIN THE DAMN CDCC!!!!!!!

CyberGhostface
02-27-2015, 12:29 PM
I've said this a couple of times but I just want to say that I appreciate CD giving the option of unsigned 'gift editions'.

There've been a couple of books from other publishers recently that are only available as limiteds and lettereds which I simply can't afford that I would like to have, so I'm very grateful that you guys are still putting out high quality books at an affordable price.

Brian James Freeman
02-27-2015, 01:38 PM
I've said this a couple of times but I just want to say that I appreciate CD giving the option of unsigned 'gift editions'.

There've been a couple of books from other publishers recently that are only available as limiteds and lettereds which I simply can't afford that I would like to have, so I'm very grateful that you guys are still putting out high quality books at an affordable price.

The first small press book I ever purchased was the Donald Grant trade HC of Wizard & Glass when it showed up at the Waldenbooks where I worked in high school. That got me interested in the concept of these smaller presses publishing beautiful special edition books. The next two I found (via this newfound thing called the "Internet") were the Insomnia and Desperation Gift Editions. Oversized books... with color interior artwork... and slipcases... I was hooked for good.

So, yeah, I'm a big believer in having a more accessible version if the author will allow it!

Brian

Theli
02-27-2015, 02:14 PM

The first small press book I ever purchased was the Donald Grant trade HC of Wizard & Glass when it showed up at the Waldenbooks where I worked in high school. That got me interested in the concept of these smaller presses publishing beautiful special edition books. The next two I found (via this newfound thing called the "Internet") were the Insomnia and Desperation Gift Editions. Oversized books... with color interior artwork... and slipcases... I was hooked for good.

So, yeah, I'm a big believer in having a more accessible version if the author will allow it!

Brian

Very cool! Good to know where you get your inspiration for all these great editions you guys release. I didn't get the Fight Club, e-mail, interesting news though. I'll probably pass, the one Palahniuk book I've read I didn't overly enjoy. Love the Fight Club flick though.

T-Dogz_AK47
02-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Just to prove how awesome CD's Artist Edition of Carrie is, I have just uploaded some photos of my copy on the P&J thread... :thumbsup:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?377-Your-New-Pride-and-Joy! (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?377-Your-New-Pride-and-Joy!&p=905223&viewfull=1#post905223)

swintek
02-27-2015, 03:12 PM

Brian

Let me second my appreciation for "gift" editions, and CD's in particular. My first small press book was a "trade" edition of Dark Harvest's Night Visions 6. I couldn't believe how gorgeous it was- for pretty much the same price as a regular mainstream publisher's hardcover. The wraparound painted dust jacket, colored boards, stylish design and typography, interior illustrations- it truly was love at first sight (and Garton's underrated masterpiece novella, MONSTERS made me a fan for life). I noticed on the flap that there was a "signed edition" for $20 more (or whatever it was). I thought about it.. same book as this, apparently- with some signatures in it. Hmm, nice.. but for that $20- I could get Volume 5- with Stephen King in it! I was hooked on "trades", or "gifts". It's not about the rarity- it's about the beauty. Glad CD is still taking care of us.

Ben Mears
02-27-2015, 03:44 PM

Brian

Let me second my appreciation for "gift" editions, and CD's in particular. My first small press book was a "trade" edition of Dark Harvest's Night Visions 6. I couldn't believe how gorgeous it was- for pretty much the same price as a regular mainstream publisher's hardcover. The wraparound painted dust jacket, colored boards, stylish design and typography, interior illustrations- it truly was love at first sight (and Garton's underrated masterpiece novella, MONSTERS made me a fan for life). I noticed on the flap that there was a "signed edition" for $20 more (or whatever it was). I thought about it.. same book as this, apparently- with some signatures in it. Hmm, nice.. but for that $20- I could get Volume 5- with Stephen King in it! I was hooked on "trades", or "gifts". It's not about the rarity- it's about the beauty. Glad CD is still taking care of us.

+1. Well stated.

Lookwhoitis
02-27-2015, 04:04 PM

Brian

Wow! That was my first small press book, as well. In my case, my sister worked at a Borders and bought it for me for my birthday.

Randall Flagg
02-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Imagine that. I have a Fine copy of Night Visions 6 (and 7, and 8 ), up for ebay auction.
They will likely go for <$20

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/pict/2012963233606464_1.jpg (http://www.ebay.com/itm/201296323360?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2648)

Night Visions 6-Dark Harvest-Dean Koontz, Ray Garton-F. P. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/201296323360?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649)

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1425082421-Night%20visions%206%20cover%20553x763.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1425082431-Night%20visions%206%20rear%20cover%20553x763.jpg

Brian James Freeman
02-27-2015, 04:35 PM

Brian

Wow! That was my first small press book, as well. In my case, my sister worked at a Borders and bought it for me for my birthday.

We received 5 copies at our Waldenbooks and I've wondered from time to time if I would have ended up here if I hadn't worked there... My boss was amazing, a huge SK and horror fan, and I think I spent so much time hanging out there in the year before he hired me that he finally decided he'd better just hire me and get it over with. I even remember when he offered me the job out of the blue: late October 1996, right after I attended a screening of THINNER... and then wandered over to the bookstore to browse the new releases that I couldn't afford.

Brian

swintek
02-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Just seeing that gorgeous cover again is making me remember why I started down this path in the first place. Somebody buy that book!

mkb.redux
02-27-2015, 04:44 PM
My first small press book was Zelazny's THE BELLS OF SHOREDAN, from Underwood-Miller; most of my early limiteds were Zelazny as that was where I started the first phase of my collecting life.

What I remember most about it was that, when I called Chuck Miller to validate that they had a copy in stock, I must've sounded pretty young, because he asked me at least once whether I was SURE that I wanted to spend so much money on this: did I know it was just a little paperback chapbook? I was, and I did, and I loved that book when it came.

jonp
02-28-2015, 03:20 AM
This is a warning for prospective and past buyers of CD's unbound proofs from ebay.

I was the highest bidder of an auction for The Dark Man Unbound earlier in the month from UK seller ashkent7. What arrived was not what was pictured in the auction photographs. This was obviously a scanned and copy of the original.

The differences of the copy were as follows:
1). All the CD unbound proofs should be all the same size (as confirmed by John Hanic and Brian @ CD), they should be printed on 8 1/2" x 11 sized paper. This is the only sized paper CD are using in their office. The unbound copy that arrived was A4 sized ( 8 1/4" x 11 2/3").

2). The printing quality was inferior compared to the CD versions with transfer of wet ink from opposing pages and there was leaching of ink through the paper.

3). The drawings of the copy were not central to the page as with the proper CD proof due to the differing size of paper. The right hand side margin was disproportionally wider as a result.

These are some photos of the copy
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y496/fenpad/IMG_4195_zpsktxlhhwy.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/fenpad/media/IMG_4195_zpsktxlhhwy.jpg.html)
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y496/fenpad/IMG_4196_zpskindiqwu.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/fenpad/media/IMG_4196_zpskindiqwu.jpg.html)

I know of at least one other member than myself that has bought a copy of The Dark Man unbound proof from this seller as a second chance offer (due to my apparent non-payment!)
So if anybody else has purchased one from this seller check it very carefully.

I just hope that this unpleasant occurrence does not discourage Brian and the rest of the team at CD from offering them in the future, as I enjoy owning my other copies and really find them interesting. I don't know if future copies could be marked with marker with a unique number similar to the Secretary of Dreams bound proofs on the page edges?

I will also be posting this in the eBay bullshit and my Collection threads for maximum coverage!

webstar1000
02-28-2015, 05:15 AM
Can I ask how much?

jonp
02-28-2015, 05:20 AM
Can I ask how much?

I paid £122 for mine (approx $200) , 2nd highest bidder paid £120. I got a refund this morning.