PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89

Patrick
12-07-2009, 09:57 AM
I agree with Rahfa. It's all speculation, of course: Cash paid for SOD II was likely spent long ago, so now production of SOD II has to be paid for by current sales. It takes financial discipline to cover the cost of production yourself (through equity or credit) and then charge your customers once the product is near completion or is actually complete. Many of the small print publishers have this discipline, CD clearly does not. Perhaps it is not intentional, but everything they say and do (or don't do) sends a clear message that CD is way behind on the cash flow curve.

willie3
12-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Anyone else notice the absence of a SoD II ARC?

Karl

jhanic
12-26-2009, 09:04 AM
I have.

John

herbertwest
12-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Would you mind sharing a picture, scann? When was it 'released'?

Ari_Racing
12-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I think John said he has noticed the absense of SOD II ARCs..

Sam
12-26-2009, 10:44 AM
As much as I would LOVE to have SOD II to go with my SOD, I don't have any faith that it will be produced. If I honestly thought it would make it to press, I'd actually preorder a copy. Heck, they already have some of my money and if they would give me a credit for it and put that toward SOD II I STILL might would be willing to take a chance.

gsvec
12-27-2009, 09:48 AM
I've seen nada on the SODII ARCs as well. Have they even produced them yet?

Pasiuk57
12-27-2009, 01:53 PM
I spoke with CD last week. It will be produced in 2010. If I get a proof, I will let everyone know...

Patrick
12-27-2009, 02:24 PM
I spoke with CD last week. It will be produced in 2010. If I get a proof, I will let everyone know...
Mike, did they give any indication of when in 2010?

Randall Flagg
12-27-2009, 02:50 PM
I've had many an occasion to speak with CD, they always say "it's coming this (or early next) year".

carlosdetweiller
12-27-2009, 03:01 PM

In my lengthy, but now terminated, relationship with CD I found that they most always told you what they thought you wanted to hear. They weren't trying to be truthful or realistic. They just wanted to appease you (i.e. shut you up) for a while longer.

Dolan
12-27-2009, 03:42 PM

In my lengthy, but now terminated, relationship with CD I found that they most always told you what they thought you wanted to hear. They weren't trying to be truthful or realistic. They just wanted to appease you (i.e. shut you up) for a while longer.

In this case, another year. 2010 can mean Jan 2010 or December 2010...

Brice
12-27-2009, 04:49 PM
They may have meant in 2010 years. :lol:

Patrick
12-27-2009, 05:30 PM

Well, then I hope I remember to keep my address updated with them.

Randall Flagg
12-27-2009, 05:47 PM
I am looking forward to their 2009 Halloween magazine.:P

Sam
12-27-2009, 06:10 PM
But will it get here in time... for Halloween 2010?

Brice
12-28-2009, 12:48 AM

Well, then I hope I remember to keep my address updated with them.

One day one of your descendants will enjoy this book.:)

:lol:

Clacke
12-28-2009, 02:05 AM

I'm still waiting on them to produce the last of my 2008 book club books. I think there's still three to go. :yawn:

lophophoras
02-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Just got this update: (I wonder if we can expect another delay on SOD II?)

Upcoming Production Updates

Hi Folks!

For the last few months we've been working hard on a couple of huge surprise announcements while also keeping the other books already in production moving forward. Over the next few weeks we'll be posting production updates on everything that's in the pipeline, but right off the bat we can tell you that we have 15 books at our printers right now and 15 more titles completely ready to go. Most of these are from our current preorder list, but there are also a good number of projects we won't be announcing until closer to publication.

Also, please note that we have been having serious problems with one of our retailers. We're now looking at our retail numbers, and considering our very high percentage of direct sales, we're planning some major changes in that department. We don't want anyone missing out on books because their retailer stopped paying his bills, but we're going to have to make some changes soon.

That's all for now, but there will be a lot of great production updates coming over the next month! Thanks, as always, for your continuing patience and support!

Randall Flagg
02-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Just got this update: (I wonder if we can expect another delay on SOD II?)

Upcoming Production Updates

Hi Folks!

For the last few months we've been working hard on a couple of huge surprise announcements while also keeping the other books already in production moving forward. Over the next few weeks we'll be posting production updates on everything that's in the pipeline, but right off the bat we can tell you that we have 15 books at our printers right now and 15 more titles completely ready to go. Most of these are from our current preorder list, but there are also a good number of projects we won't be announcing until closer to publication.

Also, please note that we have been having serious problems with one of our retailers. We're now looking at our retail numbers, and considering our very high percentage of direct sales, we're planning some major changes in that department. We don't want anyone missing out on books because their retailer stopped paying his bills, but we're going to have to make some changes soon.

That's all for now, but there will be a lot of great production updates coming over the next month! Thanks, as always, for your continuing patience and support!

To quote Aerosmith....

Its the same old story
Same old song and dance, my friend
Its the same old story
Same old song and dance, my friend

carlosdetweiller
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
As usual that "update" says a whole lotta nuthin'.

jhanic
02-24-2010, 03:30 PM
I agree. I'm still waiting for some actual dates.

John

Ari_Racing
02-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Well...the truth is that today I got completely tired of CD emails offering "100 incredible offers", and the new way of doing bussiness by working with bids. I don't like that. Not one bit.

CRinVA
02-25-2010, 07:22 AM
I am a die hard - I guess because I have the lifetime subscription to the magazine - paid for years ago! I have every issue since #10!

I read all of the CD emails as tongue in cheek! Not really any news. When the books do arrive in the mail it is often a total surprise! And I never buy the really high dollar items - Right now I am waiting for three items; Secretary of Dreams II (S/N), The Dark tower Concordance -their biggest book ever:-) and the Lilja's Library book - not too much $$$ hanging out there!

herbertwest
02-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Lilja's was announced for october...

herbertwest
02-26-2010, 10:13 AM
In the latest newsletter,

A Few Words From Our Customers

We used to feature emails from our customers on a regular basis when we had the Cemetery Dance Weekly newsletter, and we hope to still do this from time to time here in the Cemetery Dance Insider. To get things started, here's a very nice email we received this week:

"Thank you and all at Cemetery Dance for the info regarding your 'problem retailer.' I understand these things happen but you have a very loyal following and a sterling reputation... I know I'm not the only one expressing these feelings and don't you guys worry because loyal customers know a good thing when they've got a great product to look forward to!! Keep those Cemetery Dance chins up!"
-- Kate W

Thanks, Kate! We hope to get this problem resolved one way or another as soon as possible for the sake of our collectors who order their books through this retailer.

:orely:

Brice
02-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Okay, here's what their letters really look like:

possibly not niceWith those other publishers I'd have to wonder if I'd have the money when they were ready with Cemetary Dance I never have had this concern cause y'all have always had my money several months (or more likely) years in advance of doing anything at all beyond conception of the idea and announcing it to the public in one of the ten thousand emails I receive for each book you might someday think about considering publishing. You never once have failed to keep me updated on the most insubstantial details of the publishing business. (In fact I know enough to publish a book myself now. ) One example would be your email yesterday informing me that the trees were currently being cut down on some remote farm in the middle of the rainforest and then would be shipped one sheet at a time to each of your employees for inspection before you could send a letter to the author requesting permission to have a preliminary meeting about the possibility of doing a limited edition. Such details not only keep me informed they give me a level of information bordering on omniscience. I am godlike thanks to Cemetary Dance. Not only that, but one concern for all collectors must eventually be who to will their collections to and where to put all those volumes. Not with CD though I no longer have the concerns of where to put my books (because none of them have yet arrived). I don't have to worry about space considerations such as a library or even bookshelves since there is nothing to put on them yet. And I know one fine day my grandchildren will receive a brand new limited edition book that was announced 87 years before their birth. No pesky wills here. And I'm sure my book will be pretty enough to make the wait seem like it was nothing (to a California Redwood).

BlackVeil
02-27-2010, 02:50 AM
I am a die hard - I guess because I have the lifetime subscription to the magazine ...

Me too! And I am a real fan of the CD magazine - it is great ... I only wish it arrived more often.

I am waiting on several lettered editions, but orders of ordinary editions came through promptly. I am waiting on Elsewhere by P Blatty, and CD: a 15 year celebration. But Big Book of Neo-Con arrived in no time.

The books are very finely produced. Cemetery Dance is a good publisher. But I do agree with the comment above that one does not like their new approach of selling things by bids.

Has anyone order books from Charnel House press? They do special fine editions.

Patrick
02-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Brice: :wtf:

Welcome, BlackVeil, to TDT.com! Please continue to join in the conversations. Once you have a mere 5 posts, you'll gain more abilities on the site.

I have a few Charnel editions, they do a nice job.

lophophoras
03-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Just got this from Cemetery Dance. Everybody hurry...

Hi there!

You're receiving this email because you've ordered books by Stephen King from us in the past.

We're going to be getting a very limited supply of Stephen King's new book FULL DARK, NO STARS and we're including TWO great bonus items for our customers who order right away.

Here is the link to read more about this special offer or place your order while supplies last:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/o_king53

Thanks, as always, for your continuing support!

Cemetery Dance Publications

jhanic
03-08-2010, 01:11 PM
So you pay the full retail price, plus shipping, in advance, and you get a couple chapbooks too! What a deal! :nope:

John

herbertwest
03-08-2010, 01:13 PM
So you pay the full retail price, plus shipping, in advance, and you get a couple chapbooks too! What a deal! :nope:

John

And months after the publication date ;-)

mikeC
03-10-2010, 07:52 AM
I'd like my SOD2 please.

frik
03-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I'd like my SOD2 please.

I'd like my SOD1 (lettered) please.

sk

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-10-2010, 02:20 PM
I'd like my SOD2 please.

sk

Both of you should try the lottery. The odds are better :)

LostAlivE
03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
As bad as CD is why does Stephen King even bother with this publisher?
It kinda makes Stephen King look bad also doesn't it?
If they would just worry about selling their own books and getting them out instead of selling other publishers books.
I have books on order from them also.

namelessnpoor
03-11-2010, 05:03 AM
I have mentioned this before but I canceled all my orders a long time ago and I no longer order anything from them unless it is in-stock. Not to mention most of the regular trade books like the new one coming out you will be able to pick up at your local bookstore or Sams club etc... and it will probably be 15% - 30% off !!
They need to seriously change their business practices before I ever pre-order another thing from them. They had hundreds of dollars of money for over a year, so i finally just canceled all my orders !

Ari_Racing
03-11-2010, 05:13 AM
Since that famous writing from Chizmar regarding things going to be improved soon I haven't seen too many changes. They announced hundreds of books, keep on charging for books not released, and their emails seem to say "Please, purchase anything! We are desperate to get some money". I never thought I could be tired of receiving an email, but CD acomplished that. I removed my email subscription. If there's something too good that will be released by them, well...I'll see the news here, at liljas.com, etc.

When was SOD I Lettered announced? And SOD2?

How many emails with news about artwork update did we receive?

I still don't understand how King can give this publisher the rights of books and then get angry with others like Jerad, who did an incredible job in time.

Rahfa
03-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Since that famous writing from Chizmar regarding things going to be improved soon I haven't seen too many changes.

I still don't understand how King can give this publisher the rights of books and then get angry with others as Jerad, when they did an incredible job in time.

Very valid...I've wondrered the same thing...maybe he's freinds with Chizmar?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm not defending their business practices, but all the CD volumes I have look good and are great quality. They make good stuff, just takes a while to get it.

In many years to come, these books will still be great on the shelves, maybe that is all that matters to King.

Cutter
03-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Well not with just King but other authors and artists as well, I’m sure care, but don’t feel too bad because they’ve already been paid for the product. That artwork Chadbourne does, he’s been paid for it, the rights to publish the stories by King he’s already been paid for it. Everyone involved in the book got their money way back when. It’s the customers who are the only ones who haven’t got paid, and in that I mean getting the book.

If the authors and artists didn’t get paid on time they wouldn’t bother with CD, but CD pays them on time, so why not go through CD? I’m sure they pay well with the large limitations they publish.

In other words the only people who get screwed are the customers. the authors and artists get paid on time.

Sir_Boomme
03-12-2010, 08:30 AM
I'd like my SOD2 please.

sk

I was kind of wondering about that too.... I have a lettered 1 and 2 on order... if we haven't gotten the 1 yet.... how far behind is the 2?

hope i don't go senile and forget about these before they are released... I do turn 51 this year...
but hey... I've not been buying much this past year... so this way i can always say i have something on the way....right?:thumbsup:

Cloysterpete
03-12-2010, 08:38 AM
I'm sure some authors do get annoyed with CD for screwing their customers about, after all it reflects badly on an author to have his fans still waiting to read some of their work that they paid for years ago.

I know Brian Keene has said he's not doing any more books with small presses in the future because of all the hassles and stresses involved with it, From some of the comments he's made on his board I don't think it's too much of a leap to suggest that some of that involves CD's inability to get any of his books out on schedule.

Cutter
03-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm sure some authors do get annoyed with CD for screwing their customers about, after all it reflects badly on an author to have his fans still waiting to read some of their work that they paid for years ago.

I know Brian Keene has said he's not doing any more books with small presses in the future because of all the hassles and stresses involved with it, From some of the comments he's made on his board I don't think it's too much of a leap to suggest that some of that involves CD's inability to get any of his books out on schedule.
I'm sure CD is some of it, but Keene's been talking about getting out of the small press for at least 3 years, and that that time he only had Kill Whitey out from CD. Also he pulled Jack's Magic Beans out from the small press Creeping Hemlock, again that was almost 3 years ago. So he was peeved about another small publisher long before CD.

Also Keene is talking about self publishing books. Not only does he want out of the small press he's unsure if he wants to be in the mass market either. I think he's just trying to figure out a way to get the most money for his work. My guess is he's frustrated and thinks he needs to be making more money than he currently is (which he should, imo).

btw, for a Secretary of Dreams II Lettered a good guess would be a minimum of 4 years from now. And I'm not wisecracking or anything here. It's been 4 years since the Limited SOD I came out and still no Lettered of SOD I...

Rahfa
03-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Look...there is NEVER going to be a lettered SOD I...not never, not no way, not no how.

It only affects 52 customers - and they've spent the money they earned from it's original sale...there's no upside for them. It would be more cost effective to simply refund the people than actually a produce a book.

frik
03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Look...there is NEVER going to be a lettered SOD I...not never, not no way, not no how.

I have always assumed the books are there - the traycases aren't.
Actually, I still feel this is the case and I definitely think the book(s) (lettered SOD I and II ) will arrive...sometime....

sk

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Sorry frik, Rahpa is spot on.

Randall Flagg
03-12-2010, 03:21 PM

It only affects 52 customers - and they've spent the money they earned from it's original sale...there's no upside for them. It would be more cost effective to simply refund the people than actually a produce a book.

Sorry frik, Rahpa is spot on.
Absolutely.
Madoff paid those who withdrew their funds,.... until the 'venture' collapsed.

Sir_Boomme
03-12-2010, 03:41 PM

only 52 customers... perhaps... but many of those 52 customers are the high rolling fanatical whales that are the backbone of their business.

it isn't the occasional customer that drops by and buys one 15-40 dollar book that keeps CD in business... it's us crazy repeat customers that will spend 1000.00 - 2500.00 on the lettered editions.
one customer that spends 1500.00 on one book has a much higher profit margin than making 1500.00 from 50 customers that buy 50 books for 30.00.

the lettered SOD was 1500.00
52 customers x 1500.00 = $78,000.00
it would take 1040 customers who bought the 75.00 gift edition to = 78,000.00

or 260 people to buy the #'d edition to = 78,000.00

it would be wise of CD and easier for them to try to please 52 people for the same amount of money rather than 1040 customers. (not to mention the overhead for 52 customers is less)

and... many of those 52 lettered buyers also buy the gift and numbered editionas well (in my case 2 of each)

if CD plans to stay in business, they really need to take a tip from las vegas... they shouldn't be keeping the high rollers waiting in very back of the same lines as the nickel slots people. it would make more business sense for them to get the lettered out first, then worry about the others.

sure hope mindy or someone else at CD follows this thread and listens to some of this... (i'm not holding my breath), because i really don't want CD to go out of business... really.
I'd loose out on my lifetime membership that i spent how many thousands on.... (which doesn't include the letters i continue to buy)... and i have a long long way to go to recoup on that so far.

Ben Mears
03-12-2010, 04:23 PM

It boggles the mind that SK continues to give CD chances and won't allow a classy, punctual company like Centipede to do a limited of The Shining.

Rahfa
03-12-2010, 05:20 PM
only 52 customers... perhaps... but many of those 52 customers are the high rolling fanatical whales that are the backbone of their business.

it isn't the occasional customer that drops by and buys one 15-40 dollar book that keeps CD in business... it's us crazy repeat customers that will spend 1000.00 - 2500.00 on the lettered editions.
one customer that spends 1500.00 on one book has a much higher profit margin than making 1500.00 from 50 customers that buy 50 books for 30.00.

the lettered SOD was 1500.00
52 customers x 1500.00 = $78,000.00
it would take 1040 customers who bought the 75.00 gift edition to = 78,000.00

or 260 people to buy the #'d edition to = 78,000.00

it would be wise of CD and easier for them to try to please 52 people for the same amount of money rather than 1040 customers. (not to mention the overhead for 52 customers is less)

and... many of those 52 lettered buyers also buy the gift and numbered editionas well (in my case 2 of each)

Actually, the good point of the moeny they'd lose if they cancelled it...it would probably cost a maximum of $25K to produce the lettered, so that extra $50K is pretty vital.

However, the long term success of the company is the 1040 customers who buy a few $75 copies of a bunch of books...not the 52 customers who step up for Stephen King.

If 1040 customers buy 3 $75 books over 3 years, that's $210K, right? And if they can even manage a loyal customer base of 5000 customers spending an average of $75/year, that's $375K - so that's a more realistic, dependable customer base.

The books CD can actually charge $1500 for don't come along that often....although I guess every couple years.

jhanic
03-12-2010, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=Sir_Boomme;493034]sure hope mindy or someone else at CD follows this thread and listens to some of this... (i'm not holding my breath), because i really don't want CD to go out of business... really.[QUOTE]

I know for a fact that Mindy does monitor these boards occasionally. I got in a bit of trouble with her one time a while ago when I posted something early that I should not have posted until the formal announcement. (An advance notice of a book that went out to special customers). I was a bit surprised.

John

jhanic
03-12-2010, 06:25 PM
sure hope mindy or someone else at CD follows this thread and listens to some of this... (i'm not holding my breath), because i really don't want CD to go out of business... really.

I know for a fact that Mindy does monitor these boards occasionally. I got in a bit of trouble with her one time a while ago when I posted something early that I should not have posted until the formal announcement. (An advance notice of a book that went out to special customers). I was a bit surprised.

John

Randall Flagg
03-12-2010, 06:34 PM
CD has already collected the $78,000 from 'fanatics'..that is money in the bank (Lettered edition). They have delivered the SOD I in a numbered format-enough to appease the 'regulars'; 750 books x $300 = $225K. The money CD makes is on the future.

jhanic
03-17-2010, 11:33 AM
The latest from Cemetary Dance regarding Secretary of Dreams II:

In other news, as we previously announced, The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) by Stephen King is still on target for its new summer publication date.

I'll believe it when I see it.

John

Cutter
03-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Yea, I saw that. Who knows *shrug* but I would love for it to happen.

Also I got my shipping notice for Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance. Who Hoo! only 3+ years after I ordered it, lol

Randall Flagg
03-17-2010, 01:49 PM

In other news, as we previously announced, The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) by Stephen King is still on target for its new summer publication date.I'll believe it when I see it.

John
I'm sure it is on target for its "new summer publication date", I just wonder what summer...2011, 2012, 2013..?

herbertwest
03-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Thought the same.

From Lilja's website, about his book :

From Cemetery Dance's latest newsletter that was sent out earlier today.

We're pleased to report that Lilja's Library: The World of Stephen King by Hans-Ake Lilja and illustrated by Glenn Chadbourne is rolling at our printer and is now scheduled for a mid-summer publication date. Also, collectors should take note that the Lettered Edition, which features original artwork by Chadbourne, is almost sold out! Don't wait to order or you'll miss out on that very special edition of this very cool book.

And just to be clear, mid-summer spells J-U-L-Y.

Sam
03-17-2010, 02:41 PM

In other news, as we previously announced, The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) by Stephen King is still on target for its new summer publication date.

John

Didn't they say in October that it would be a SPRING publication date?

carlosdetweiller
03-17-2010, 06:21 PM

In other news, as we previously announced, The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) by Stephen King is still on target for its new summer publication date.I'll believe it when I see it.

John
I'm sure it is on target for its "new summer publication date", I just wonder what summer...2011, 2012, 2013..?

And don't forget LEGACIES. Pre-orders taken in the late 1990's. Scheduled for production in 2000 (or so says the proof). One update I saw said it was "deep in production." It's only a decade late.....and counting.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-18-2010, 12:23 AM
And don't forget LEGACIES. Pre-orders taken in the late 1990's. Scheduled for production in 2000 (or so says the proof). One update I saw said it was "deep in production." It's only a decade late.....and counting.

On the same update from CD...

"This is going to be a huge year for Cemetery Dance, especially when it comes to catching up on some long delayed titles. We've put the pieces in place to publish a lot of books between now and the fall, including many older projects you've been very patiently waiting for, plus a bunch of great new surprises we think our readers and collectors will be extremely excited about!"

I don't think it will be LEGACIES, but it may include the Lettered SoD I

CurtSeattle
03-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Just curious if the 52 Lettered Concordance books are sold out already?

Eric719691
03-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Just curious if the 52 Lettered Concordance books are sold out already?

Yes, they have been sold out for greater than a year. They do have the limited edition left.

Brice
03-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Yes, their lettered editions can be very hard to get ...sometimes you have to order as much as a decade in advance. :innocent:

e_taylor
03-21-2010, 04:47 AM
Realistically, if the limited is just coming out now, it'll probably be another year or two for the lettered edition.

The text block will be printed already, but it wont be bound and it won't have a traycase for a loooooong time.

lophophoras
03-21-2010, 05:22 AM

John

Didn't they say in October that it would be a SPRING publication date?

Yes they did. Originally scheduled for a December 2009 release but they put it off until Spring 2010 so that it would not interfere with the Under the Dome release.

gsvec
03-22-2010, 12:36 PM
I won one of CD's recent eBay auctions (S/L Somewhere In Time) and paid via PayPal. I received an email yesterday that it had shipped via UPS. So today I clicked on the tracking link in the email to see if there was an estimated delivery date, and much to my surprise, it's being shipped to my OLD address outside of Chicago rather than to the current address on my PayPal account AND my CD account (which I've confirmed on their website). I shot Mindy and email - we'll see what happens. :pullhair:

Tito_Villa
03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Well im sorry but that is pathetic and a very stupid mistake by them! I really hope it gets sorted for you, although books have been sent to the wrong address quite a few times with me!

pixiedark76
03-22-2010, 02:50 PM
I got my shipping notice for Dark Tower Complete Concordance also and it is about time! I got The Road to The Dark Tower, and SK Uncollected and Unpublished from secondary markets. I have had From a Buick 8 and SK Universe. I ordered Riding the Bullet and Lilja's Library plus Secretary of Dreams vol 2. After this I AM DONE.

I seriously don't care what exciting new titles CD has coming out! I spent way to much money already!

And hey what about CD's magazine that has a Halloween issue coming out in the spring? :doh:I think it is #63? I keep seeing that it is at the printer and in production.

Sir_Boomme
03-22-2010, 03:44 PM

John

yes.... I missed out on getting the limited legacies ordered the first go around - it was all sold out dammit....
but hey, the good news is..... several customers who ordered/paid for this one have probably died by now.... so maybe there will be some copies available by the time it comes out.

hmmm, wonder if the price will be the same for a book that was ordered and paid for.... but where the customer has died off before it is published?
would the price be higher now because of inflation? or lower because it was already paid for once before ???? i wonder...:orely:

e_taylor
03-22-2010, 03:50 PM

John

yes.... I missed out on getting the limited legacies ordered the first go around - it was all sold out dammit....
but hey, the good news is..... several customers who ordered/paid for this one have probably died by now.... so maybe there will be some copies available by the time it comes out.

hmmm, wonder if the price will be the same for a book that was ordered and paid for.... but where the customer has died off before it is published?
would the price be higher now because of inflation? or lower because it was already paid for once before ???? i wonder...:orely:

Higher, they already did this for more pre-orders.

The old, "a customer of ours" wanted them to sell it for them. If I recall correctly they were asking $500 for the limited, $1000 for the lettered.

Clearly, there was no customer wanting to sell their pre-order. Just the multitude of pissed off customers who canceled their orders.

carlosdetweiller
03-22-2010, 04:03 PM

It doesn't matter. It is never going to be published.

Rahfa
03-22-2010, 05:18 PM
They don't even mention "Legacies" anymore...but it is a good way for them to get some cash, because they can pull that "a customer had to cancel" move anytime they want.

CurtSeattle
03-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Just got Great Ghost Stories ($325)

I got it way below initial retail price and it's in like new condition. 52 lettered copies, but this one is a PC version. Signed by ten of the contributors: Stephen King, Stephen Jones, Sydney J. Bounds, Ramsey Campbell, Garry Kilworth, Brian Lumley, Tina Rath, Tony Richards, Steve Rasnic Tem, and Les Edwards.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8251/greatghoststoriesletter.th.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/i/greatghoststoriesletter.jpg/)

America's Best Loved Boogeyman Limited ($26) -"339" of 488 hardcover copies signed by George Beahm and Stephen J. Spignesi
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5173/sbestlovedboogeymancove.th.jpg (http://img90.imageshack.us/i/sbestlovedboogeymancove.jpg/)

I got in on the Dark Tower Concordance at the last minute too! Woot!

I think I have collection sickness though.....

Knowing Darkness Traycased version ordered too and coming soon.

Also just got Dark Dreamers ($160): No 283 of 350 copies SIGNED BY STEPHEN KING, DEAN R KOONTZ, RICHARD MATHESON, DENNIS ETCHISON, JOHN FARRIS, GARY BRANDNER, DAVID MORRELL, RICHARD LAYMON, JOHN SAUL, STANLEY WIATER
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1999/darkdreamerssigpagepic.th.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/i/darkdreamerssigpagepic.jpg/)
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8531/darkdreamerscovertrayca.jpg (http://img690.imageshack.us/i/darkdreamerscovertrayca.jpg/)

Colorado Kid matching numbers artists edition set.

Plus, this remarqued set of each Colorado Kid artists' edition with a corresponding remarque from each with matching letters of "O" ($299).
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3105/edmillerremarque.th.jpg (http://img197.imageshack.us/i/edmillerremarque.jpg/)
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7641/glenchadbourneremarque.th.jpg (http://img185.imageshack.us/i/glenchadbourneremarque.jpg/)
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4637/jkpotterremarque.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/i/jkpotterremarque.jpg/)

Plus, the Insomnia, The Stand and The Wasteland Portfolios for $228 total (which I guess is a good deal from what I hear!). :)

I won't even show all of the other stuff I got in the past two months. I'm freakin brooooooooke now. :(

Sam
03-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Curt, that's more than a deal on the portfolios. Consider that the Wastelands is about $30 from the publisher by itself, that now brings your total on two LOOOOONG out of print portfolios to about $100 each. Even at $200 for either one of those is still a great price from what I've seen, so you got the other one for basically free.

The Library Policeman
03-22-2010, 08:41 PM
I have never bought directly from CD, praise the Lord!!

I got my SOD and Buick 8 on the secondary market.

Randall Flagg
03-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Nice stuff Curt. I wish I knew you needed a Dark Dreamers. Did you get one with two pages of signatures?

Cutter
03-23-2010, 06:19 AM

John

The old, "a customer of ours" wanted them to sell it for them. If I recall correctly they were asking $500 for the limited, $1000 for the lettered.

Clearly, there was no customer wanting to sell their pre-order. Just the multitude of pissed off customers who canceled their orders.

yea, I actually asked to be put on the waiting list about 4 months ago for this book thinking if it ever gets published then I can get a copy when published. CD sent me an email a week later saying someone wanted to sell their copy at $399. I just ignored the email.

btw, those are some awesome buys, and deals Curt. Congrats!

CurtSeattle
03-23-2010, 06:20 AM
No, I got just the single page signature page. :(

Didn't realize there were two versions until after. :(

Could I have gotten the 2 signature page version for $160? sigh....

Ari_Racing
03-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Very nice, Curt! Congratulations!!

herbertwest
03-23-2010, 11:44 AM
LEGACIES exists... as a proof
How many of those exist?

Rahfa
03-23-2010, 12:40 PM

John

yea, I actually asked to be put on the waiting list about 4 months ago for this book thinking if it ever gets published then I can get a copy when published. CD sent me an email a week later saying someone wanted to sell their copy at $399. I just ignored the email.

btw, those are some awesome buys, and deals Curt. Congrats!

Good grief...so they're actually doing that??? I was sort of kidding!

jhanic
03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
How many of those exist?

Not too many, but I'd hate to hazard a guess. They seldom show up anywhere for sale.

John

CurtSeattle
03-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Just a heads up that my experience with them has been absolutely perfect so far.

I haven't been waiting like some of you have for any amount of time (I didn't realize you could even wait that long if it's true. I mean it sounds like Gunslinger time across multiple universes! hehehe!).

My personal experience with Mindy (I think it was) was great. I have been able to jump in and get some books that i thought I wouldn't be able to get, so I'm very pleased. Of course, I don't have them yet, but I don't anticipate any issues at this point.

Just my two cents, but I'm a newb. :)

Curt

Sir_Boomme
03-23-2010, 03:25 PM
How many of those exist?

I can vouch for one....

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/leg.JPG

Bev Vincent
03-23-2010, 03:27 PM
How many of those exist?

Not too many, but I'd hate to hazard a guess. They seldom show up anywhere for sale.

John

I have one.

Sir_Boomme
03-23-2010, 03:33 PM
How many of those exist?

John

i'm thinking it may be the only way it ever reaches print, so for those of us that have one, it is highly unlikely many are willing to sale our copies.

Pasiuk57
03-23-2010, 03:46 PM
I have a Legacies proof also

jhanic
03-23-2010, 04:53 PM
I also have one. That makes three. I'm sure there are a few others out there.

John

<Edit> I missed Mike's and Sir Boomme's posts, so that's five so far. Still not too many.

John

Ari_Racing
03-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Can anyone post a pic of the book and the spine?

Thanks!

Tito_Villa
03-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Did anyone else get the newsletter earlier about the big announcement on monday??? I wonder what it will be!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-26-2010, 02:58 PM
I got the newsletter, and I expect the BIG news will be that you can give them MORE money if you are really that gullible.

Patrick
03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I received it as well, and my first thought was right in line with what Mr. R.T. said.

shnnrc01
03-27-2010, 12:54 AM
im not gonna be able to sleep all weekend now.bastards!!

Ari_Racing
03-27-2010, 06:39 AM
I know!! It will be the third volume of Secretary of dreams!!

Wait..

Was the 2nd released already?

Or was the lettered of the 1st volume released?

RIIIIGHT.

CurtSeattle
03-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Well, I'm going to stick on the positive side of things and get excited!!!

What do we think it will be?

Did is say it was King related? Can't remember. If it is King related, then I'm guessing it will be.......

hmmmmmm......decisions decisions....(jeopardy music starts in background).....ahhh....coming to me now......

I predict it will be a Cemetery version of Under the Dome! 2 (maybe 3!) volume set with a numbered and lettered version. This will be to offset the lack of "numbering" on the US limited version which was stupid to neglect (I mean cost savings was the reason I heard? Jeez! I'm glad I got a couple of the UK numbered ones which I think will actually be the collectible to have in the future...well unless I'm right about this. Which I'm probably not right...I mean I'm right in the head, but not right in terms of my Cemetery Under the Dome wishful thinking...but I digress....)

Your thoughts? :)

oh! P.S. I submitted a picture of myself and a "body shot" (LOL!) to Glenn Chadbourne for the auction I won with him doing a "haunting" of me. I didn't realize that it was going to have ME in the picture. I can't tell you how excited I am!!! I will for sure take a couple of pictures and post them when I get it, so you can check it out.

Ari_Racing
03-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Actually, since UTD already has a S/L edition, I don't think it'll be that one.

Talking seriously for a moment, the first thing I think of is a book "about" King. Probably one from Justin Brooks or Rocky Wood. And even when I like these books, there's no way I'm paying for any in advance.

Another chance it's was a aniversary edition of a book. 30 years ago Cujo was published, but it already has a S/L. If we take 20 years, The Stand also has a S/L, but Four past midnight doesn't. And for 10 years, we have On writing, The Plant and Riding the bullet (S/L planned already...)

Latest books with no S/L edition:

- Just after Sunset
- Duma Key
- Lisey's Story
- Cell
- Blaze

Or maybe it'd be a printed edition of UR.

Who knows?

Now, if at the end it's a S/L edition of a book BY Stephen King, and the costs are the usual ones ($75 for the gift, $300 for the S/L and $1000 for the lettered), who would place an order before the book is released?

Even when I'd be excited to own, for example, a S/L edition of Duma Key, I won't give CD any more money without seeing a result first. And for results I mean to see published all the books already announced and never released in ALL the editions announced (Lettereds included, of course).

CurtSeattle
03-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I keep forgetting that people have prepaid years in advance and still don't have their books I guess.

So far, I have received things immediately from them, but I'm just a newbie collector.

I am waiting for one book from them, but I knew I would be waiting when I got it, so hopefully it won't be years! hehehe!

Four Past Midnight would be cool!

I still think that the US Under the Dome limited isn't much of a limited. I mean there is limited and then there is LIMITED! hehehe!

Or it could be a new novella about a psycho psychic psychologist from the forums on TheDarkTower.com in a limited format of only 666 copies signed by Pamela Anderson. I mean it could be anything really. GRRRR! I hate waiting for anything. :(

Sir_Boomme
03-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Actually, since UTD already has a S/L edition, I don't think it'll be that one.

Talking seriously for a moment, the first thing I think of is a book "about" King. Probably one from Justin Brooks or Rocky Wood. And even when I like these books, there's no way I'm paying for any in advance.

Who knows?

i know i know!

It's a signed limited edition book, by Rocky Woods, that is a comprehensive listing and detailed description, prices, etc. of every book that CD has said they were going to publish but haven't.

It will list original prices precharged to customers... and what those books would be worth in today's dollars....had they been published. It'll have beautiful renderings of proposed cover art for each book and a complete listing of reasons why CD has not published it yet.
It's to come in three editions- gift, signed and lettered.

unfortunately the last listing in the book will be itself... because of contractional difficulties with one of the artists, and problems with the bindery for the lettered's traycase.

common guys, ya'll can get on board with this one..... let's see some excitement around here.

i'm just teasing... i know how some of ya'll detest CD... I myself willl be hoping for a signed limited by king.

I've actually been a bit upset that Lonely Road Books was spun off from CD, and is located in the same building, produced by the same people, using the same equipment... and that "they" did the riding the bullet limited.
I have had a lifetime membership with CD for years.... but it conveniently now doesn't include the Lonely Road Books - so it'd be nice to still have some titles by King himself be produced by CD rather than Lonely Road. The fact that CD had produced a number of limited King items was the main reason I bought that lifetime membership many years ago.

just a thought .... I wonder if "they" actually put on different caps when "they" work on lonely road books?

Ari_Racing
03-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Or because the artist is making some cool aditions or modifications!

Rahfa
03-27-2010, 09:51 AM
I am waiting for one book from them, but I knew I would be waiting when I got it, so hopefully it won't be years! hehehe!(

What book? Unfortunately, you will probably be waiting years....emphasis on the 's.'

I don't think it will be a King book either....I feel like we'd have heard some buzz before this...CD's 'promoted' fairly meh editions before as though they'd be earth shattering...

carlosdetweiller
03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't think it will be a King book either....I feel like we'd have heard some buzz before this...CD's 'promoted' fairly meh editions before as though they'd be earth shattering...

I'm wondering if it will be the anthology DARK MASQUES. I've seen a couple of proofs on eBay recently. The proofs are dated 2007 but to my knowledge CD has not yet published the book. They could probably get several of the authors that are still living to sign it and this would probably count as an "earth shattering" CD announcement. Just idle speculation on my part.

SkippyD023
03-27-2010, 11:45 AM

I'm wondering if it will be the anthology DARK MASQUES. I've seen a couple of proofs on eBay recently. The proofs are dated 2007 but to my knowledge CD has not yet published the book. They could probably get several of the authors that are still living to sign it and this would probably count as an "earth shattering" CD announcement. Just idle speculation on my part.

The back of the ARC for Dark Masques states it will be published in December 2010 so that very well could be the "BIG NEWS" In reality that means we might see it by December of 2012, 2013??

carlosdetweiller
03-27-2010, 12:31 PM

The back of the ARC for Dark Masques states it will be published in December 2010 so that very well could be the "BIG NEWS" In reality that means we might see it by December of 2012, 2013??

That is interesting. My copy says December 2007 (which obviously didn't happen). Are they applying a sticker over the 2007 date to change it to 2010? Or have they printed a new proof with the correct date?

Here is a photo of the rear cover of my copy.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/darkmasquesproofrearcover.jpg

SkippyD023
03-27-2010, 01:29 PM

That is interesting. My copy says December 2007 (which obviously didn't happen). Are they applying a sticker over the 2007 date to change it to 2010? Or have they printed a new proof with the correct date?

Here is a photo of the rear cover of my copy.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/darkmasquesproofrearcover.jpg

That is very interesting. They must have printed a new set of ARC's. The December 2010 on my copy is not a sticker. Attached is a photo of the back cover and copyright page.
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/SkippyD023/DSCN5157.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/SkippyD023/DSCN5159.jpg

Randall Flagg
03-27-2010, 02:22 PM
That's interesting. I have one I just received:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1641/darkmasques.jpg

SkippyD023
03-27-2010, 03:28 PM
:rofl:

That's probably more accurate. Of course they will let us pay for it now.

jhanic
03-27-2010, 04:02 PM

As I said here somewhere, I've been in regular contact with Justin Brooks and I KNOW there's nothing new from him coming from Cemetary Dance.

I guess we'll just wait and see.

John

Patrick
03-27-2010, 10:56 PM
For reference, here is CD's teaser:

Our Biggest Book Announcement Ever Is Coming on Monday!

We wanted to give you advance warning that on Monday we will be making our BIGGEST book announcement in 20+ years of publishing. If you look at some of the projects we've published over the years, then you have some idea how big this news must be. It is going to be huge.
This is an awfully bold statement. I hope they prove me wrong because I expect to be unimpressed on Monday.

biomieg
03-28-2010, 12:16 AM
I just hope they didn't somehow acquire the rights to publish a S/L edition of The Shining. After all the effort he already put into it, Jerad/Centipede is the only one who deserves to design and publish that one...

(not that I'm really thinking CD will announce something THAT big, but still....)

BlackVeil
03-28-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm not defending their business practices, but all the CD volumes I have look good and are great quality. They make good stuff, just takes a while to get it.

In many years to come, these books will still be great on the shelves ...

I agree. The books really are very fine quality. Also, the prices of the ordinary editions on the 2nd hand market are high, and the prices of the lettered editions extremely high. Good stuff for collectors. :P

Bev Vincent
03-28-2010, 12:38 AM
I really wish I could spill the beans on this one, but I think you will all be delighted and interested by the announcement. It is very cool.

Cloysterpete
03-28-2010, 01:52 AM
I just hope it's not another book about King, related to King's work etc, CD have published more than enough of those!.

Tito_Villa
03-28-2010, 04:07 AM
I just hope it's not another book about King, related to King's work etc, CD have published more than enough of those!.

I'll 2nd that, i am still quite excited to see what they come up with!

lophophoras
03-28-2010, 04:32 AM
That's interesting. I have one I just received:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1641/darkmasques.jpg

LOL...that's a good one!

e_taylor
03-28-2010, 05:20 AM
Hmmm.... "It" was published in 1986.... a 25th Anniversary S/L to be released next year??

Rahfa
03-28-2010, 07:18 AM
I really wish I could spill the beans on this one, but I think you will all be delighted and interested by the announcement. It is very cool.

If you're saying so, I'm sure it will be....but unless the publication is immienent, it really doesn't matter...

Lenny
03-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Hmmm.... "It" was published in 1986.... a 25th Anniversary S/L to be released next year??

I dont know if that will be it or not but I am praying someone does an anniversary edition...I love that book.

Sir_Boomme
03-28-2010, 09:35 AM

In many years to come, these books will still be great on the shelves ...

I agree. The books really are very fine quality. Also, the prices of the ordinary editions on the 2nd hand market are high, and the prices of the lettered editions extremely high. Good stuff for collectors. :P

I don't think quality of product is the concern here... CD always produces quality books... for sure.
if they could ever really get their act together with producing those books in a reasonable time, I not sure there would be a CD trash and bash thread here at all.

I have supported CD for years, because i do really enjoy the books they produce.... but it's really hard to justify a business taking money for a product like Legends and not delivering that product for more than 10 years. I mean, that book was counted on the last census, right?

Since I didn't get to order Legends, I don't have a dog in that particular hunt.... but I am getting worried that I may be dead before my SOD 1 & SOD 2 letters end up getting to me. OR.... that CD may be dead before the books are produced. That would leave me a few grand poorer and nothing to show for it.

I'm really in the camp of still pulling for CD to revamp/ remodel the way they do business and hope they work harder on getting books out the door as promised. Since I haven't seen much change so far, I'm not holding my breath, but I've got a hell of a lot of money invested in them - way to much to wish them any ill will.

Patrick
03-28-2010, 10:41 AM

We wanted to give you advance warning that on Monday we will be making our BIGGEST book announcement in 20+ years of publishing. If you look at some of the projects we've published over the years, then you have some idea how big this news must be. It is going to be huge.

Thanks, Bev. You've renewed my curiosity.

To be honest though, I'll be disappointed if King's people have approved CD to pre-sell another King S/L at this point, especially with so many prepaid editions left unreleased. The quality of their product is great, however the broken promises, flimsy excuses and lack of reasonable timeframe are all inexcusable at this point.

If this is going to be announcement that they are finally releasing King books that their customers paid for years ago, that would be cause for celebration - but not worthy of the verbiage used in the teaser announcement.

Like Terry, I don't wish CD ill. I do wish they would behave responsibly in their business practices.

Ben Mears
03-28-2010, 11:55 AM

Thanks, Bev. You've renewed my curiosity.

To be honest though, I'll be disappointed if King's people have approved CD to pre-sell another King S/L at this point, especially with so many prepaid editions left unreleased. The quality of their product is great, however the broken promises, flimsy excuses and lack of reasonable timeframe are all inexcusable at this point.

If this is going to be announcement that they are finally releasing King books that their customers paid for years ago, that would be cause for celebration - but not worthy of the verbiage used in the teaser announcement.

Like Terry, I don't wish CD ill. I do wish they would behave responsibly in their business practices.

I'll be disappointed in SK if he OK's a limited with such an unreliable publisher as CD at the expense of Centipede (who hits all pub dates) doing The Shining.

Ari_Racing
03-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Well...I once started a thread at stephenking.com forums asking this, and I don't remember getting a reply.

There are some clear points about CD:

- They produce excellent products
- They're desperate for making money, which makes them fill your email box with several emails per week with INCREDIBLE (Yes...I'm making THAT expression) offers.

And the only thing I can think of why King allows a publisher to pre-sell a book and never release it (cheating King collectors and readers) and gets angry with another publisher which also pre-sells an edition, but releases on time, and leaves EVERYONE happy (I didn't hear a single complain on Centipede Press' books), is that King must be a good friend with Richard Chizmar.

Or he wants to laugh at King collectors :P

Rahfa
03-28-2010, 12:46 PM
The other thing is I think we can reasonably certain that it will be pricey...now, that's the nature of the beast - but if it's pricey, and got a long leadtime, then that's one less reason to be excited....

I hope they have a great annoucement - and Boome gets his books in very short order. But that's the extent of my investment.

Lenny
03-28-2010, 01:02 PM
What if it is a S/L of the new book Full Dark No Stars?

Also what happened with King and Centipede press? I missed that some where.

Tito_Villa
03-29-2010, 05:32 AM
Is everyone ready for this big suprise then???? :P

Lenny
03-29-2010, 05:42 AM
The announcement will probably be delayed until this summer :wtf:

turtlex
03-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Maybe it's a S/L of Bev's recent book?!?

Well, I hope whomever gets the announcement email first - please post it here! :grouphug:

biomieg
03-29-2010, 06:10 AM
If it's such a BIG announcement it almost has to be a King S/L of one of the classic (seventies/eighties) titles, I can't really think of anything else that would make us as 'delighted and interested' (quoting Bev here). I'm sure it will be something cool but seriously: is there anyone who's not going to have mixed feelings about it? Even though I don't collect S/L editions I will be looking forward to it but I will also feel bad for everyone who preorders a copy.

Ari_Racing
03-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Yes....taking in consideration Bev's comment, it has to be a good S/L of a new title or a classic...or an unpublished work so far (maybe Sword in the darkness?).

Lenny
03-29-2010, 06:17 AM
I'm sure everyone will have reservations about it since its coming from CD but if it is a King S/L how can we pass it up? I'm sure it will sell out before the day is over.

biomieg
03-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Most likely, yes.

Ari's suggestion that it might also be a completely new or previously unpublished book scares me a bit, by the way... what if that's the case and the big announcement is going to be that... *shudder*... it will only be published by CD? It doesn't even need to be a S/L.

Tito_Villa
03-29-2010, 06:23 AM
I sort of hope its a Duma Key S/L, but we will see soon enough! I will probably order one if its a King S/L though.

biomieg
03-29-2010, 06:28 AM
I sort of hope its a Duma Key S/L, but we will see soon enough! I will probably order one if its a King S/L though.

I'm not sure whether or not a Duma Key S/L would qualify as the biggest thing in 20+ years publishing for CD. They've done the From A Buick 8 limiteds and even though I wasn't collecting back then, I'm pretty sure they weren't announced as the then-biggest-thing (I may be wrong though). Buick and Duma are both great books but they are not yet part of the King Canon of Classics I think.

Hmm. Somehow I'm getting genuinely anxious about the whole thing :)

Lenny
03-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Well me personally I'm hoping for a 25th anniversary edition of IT done like the The Stand S/L. I will literaly wet my self. :rock:

biomieg
03-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Okay, here it is:

Hi Folks!

Cemetery Dance Publications is pleased to announce Blockade Billy by Stephen King, an original, never-before-published novella that only the King of Horror could have dreamed up! Even diehard baseball fans don't know the true story of William Blakely, but in just a few weeks you'll be holding this dark tale in your own two hands so you can read it for yourself.

That's right! This Cemetery Dance exclusive trade hardcover edition is already rolling at the printer and will be arriving at our warehouse in mid-April. This beautiful hardcover edition also features stunning cover artwork by Glen Orbik and eight gorgeous pieces of interior artwork by Alex McVey.

About the Book:
Even the most diehard baseball fans don't know the true story of William "Blockade Billy" Blakely. He may have been the greatest player the game has ever seen, but today no one remembers his name. He was the first — and only — player to have his existence completely removed from the record books. Even his team is long forgotten, barely a footnote in the game's history.

Every effort was made to erase any evidence that William Blakely played professional baseball, and with good reason. Blockade Billy had a secret darker than any pill or injection that might cause a scandal in sports today. His secret was much, much worse... and only Stephen King, the most gifted storyteller of our age, can reveal the truth to the world, once and for all.

This original, never-before-published novella represents Stephen King at his very best, and this Cemetery Dance hardcover edition brings it into print for the very first time.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/king04.gif

A Few Words from Stephen King on Blockade Billy:
"I love old-school baseball, and I also love the way people who've spent a lifetime in the game talk about the game. I tried to combine those things in a story of suspense. People have asked me for years when I was going to write a baseball story. Ask no more; this is it."

Special Bonus With Your Order!
For a very limited time only, we'll be including an authentic William "Blockade Billy" Blakely baseball card with every copy of the trade hardcover edition we ship. Just place your order through our website and we'll do the rest!

Important Note #1:
This novella is not scheduled to be reprinted in King's new collection due out this fall, and we're only printing a small number of first edition copies compared to what Stephen King's New York publishers print for a brand new book. We'll be filling direct orders first and then distributors, online stores, and the chains if there are copies left available after we've taken care of our regular customers. Please order directly through our website to guarantee yourself a copy.

Important Note #2:
Please use our website store to place your order for this title. Phone and email orders probably won't get processed for several weeks due to the influx of orders, emails, and media inquiries we're currently handling. If you have questions about this title, please visit the FAQ before you contact us.

Important Note #3
Although our server company is well prepared for today's announcement, there is a chance the webstore might not be able to handle all of the traffic. If the site or store crashes while you're attempting to place your order, please wait 10 minutes before returning to the store to try again. Clicking reload multiple times will only make the problem worse. Thank you for your patience.

Tito_Villa
03-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Well me personally I'm hoping for a 25th anniversary edition of IT done like the The Stand S/L. I will literaly wet my self. :rock:

Haha am i right saying that there isn't a "The Shining" S/L at the moment??? could it be that???

Tito_Villa
03-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Im not sure what to make of that!

Lenny
03-29-2010, 06:35 AM
.....um....whoopie???....way less than impressed.:arg:

Tito_Villa
03-29-2010, 06:37 AM
.....um....whoopie???....way less than impressed.:arg:

My thoughts exactly, oh well i won't be giving anymore of my £££ to CD!

e_taylor
03-29-2010, 06:41 AM
Yah.... I'm not sure how this qualifies as the "biggest" thing in their 20 year history....

And anyone else notice the bit about the S/L being done by Lonely Road? I'm sure Terry will be impressed!

turtlex
03-29-2010, 06:49 AM
:orely: Hmmmmm.... not S/L but only $25.00

Lenny
03-29-2010, 06:50 AM
CD is saying the book is already at the printer and will ship in mid april :orely:
I wonder when the S/L is going to be announced/released?

Lenny
03-29-2010, 06:53 AM
:orely: Hmmmmm.... not S/L but only $25.00

Yeah I had to go ahead and order one my self. Sure hope they are serious about the April ship date.

ELazansky
03-29-2010, 07:17 AM
I ordered one as well. As a baseball and SK fan, 25.00 seems reasonable.

e_taylor
03-29-2010, 07:17 AM
Still no harm in waiting. A $25 trade edition won't rocket in value. When it is released you'll be able to get it for that or less. (i.e. when amazon gets their copies)

Sir_Boomme
03-29-2010, 07:21 AM

ELazansky
03-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Still no harm in waiting. A $25 trade edition won't rocket in value. When it is released you'll be able to get it for that or less. (i.e. when amazon gets their copies)

Not too worried about future value. But I'm also a baseball card collector, so the extra included card is kinda neat. No guarantees that if and when Amazon sells it they will include the card.

Cutter
03-29-2010, 07:27 AM
yea, we should have expected Lonely Road will be doing the Limited Edition, as there are too many lifetime members with CD for them to make a respectable profit. And especially with them hurting for money there's no way they could give away 25 free Limited Editions, or however many lifetimers they have.

Actually if you think about it, this probably is the biggest announcement that CD has published. From A Buick 8 had a trade edition, as with every other Limited Edition done in ages, so while exciting they are not very exclusive. It's been since the days of Eyes of the Dragon and the first couple Dark Tower books that King has given a small press an exclusive story to print with no plans for a mass market edition.

Sure it's just a trade novella, but I still think it's pretty cool!

Also I like it's only $25 (and like Patrick mentioned probably cheaper on Amazon), so everyone can afford it, not just collectors.

Sir_Boomme
03-29-2010, 07:33 AM
there's no way they could give away 25 free Limited Editions, or however many lifetimers they have.

Ari_Racing
03-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Latest Dan Simmons' novella was more expensive than this one. It might be a good starting point to fix a little their relationship with customers.

Of course, it all depends on if they release it on time...

Lenny
03-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Deluxe Signed Special Edition:
Lonely Road Books (http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/), the publisher of Dark Forces: The 25th Anniversary Special Edition (http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/books/darkforces/photos.html) and Riding the Bullet: The Deluxe Special Edition (http://www.cemeterydance.com/sh/o_king40.html), will be publishing a deluxe signed edition of Blockade Billy, but official details won't be announced until closer to the publication date. Sign-up for the Lonely Road Books mailing list, (http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/news.html) or follow them on Twitter (http://twitter.com/LonelyRoadBooks) or Facebook, (http://www.facebook.com/LonelyRoadBooks) if you want all of the details when that edition is announced.

this is a crock of crap! as I suspected/feared....

ok... now I AM officially pissed at CD....
CD is publishing the cheapo trade edition... and then they walk across the room and have "Lonely Road Books" produce the limited.
this is a blatant screw over of the people who paid 6000.00+ dollars for a lifetime membership to Cemetery Dance which contractually states we are entitled to a copy of every Limited edition that is produced by CD. I paid to own books by the well known authors that were advertised with the CD Lifetime membership... and now since CD has maxed out the lifetime memberships, they've just made a new "company" in the same building, same printers, same employees... to produce the high dollar books. ie. Dark Forces, Riding the Bullet and now this King limited.

what a load of CRAP!!!!!!...:angry:

I've really tried to stick by CD, even with the book delay faults... but this is just crooked.
I'm now going join Bob and you others and abandon ship. I'll be asking for refunds for all my letters editions.

I can't even imagine how pissed I would be if I were you. You invest money in their company and then they purposely prevent you from collecting anything from them. If this were stocks I'm sure it would be illegal.

wizardsrainbow
03-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Man, I was ready for something more. I was at the site ordering and then said to myself WHOA. I'll likely be able to get this book on Amazon for 40% off within a week.

e_taylor
03-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Lonely Road Books (http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/), the publisher of Dark Forces: The 25th Anniversary Special Edition (http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/books/darkforces/photos.html) and Riding the Bullet: The Deluxe Special Edition (http://www.cemeterydance.com/sh/o_king40.html), will be publishing a deluxe signed edition of Blockade Billy, but official details won't be announced until closer to the publication date. Sign-up for the Lonely Road Books mailing list, (http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/news.html) or follow them on Twitter (http://twitter.com/LonelyRoadBooks) or Facebook, (http://www.facebook.com/LonelyRoadBooks) if you want all of the details when that edition is announced.

this is a crock of crap! as I suspected/feared....

CD is publishing the cheapo trade edition... and then they walk across the room and have "Lonely Road Books" produce the limited.
this is a blatant screw over of the people who paid 6000.00+ dollars for a lifetime membership to Cemetery Dance which contractually states we are entitled to a copy of every Limited edition that is produced by CD. I paid to own books by the well known authors that were advertised with the CD Lifetime membership... and now since CD has maxed out the lifetime memberships, they've just made a new "company" in the same building, same printers, same employees... to produce the high dollar books. ie. Dark Forces, Riding the Bullet and now this King limited.

I've really tried to stick by CD, even with the book delay faults... but this is just crooked.
I'm now going join Bob and you others and abandon ship. I'll be asking for refunds for all my letters editions.

I agree. Its very seedy.

I didn't have a problem with them starting a new imprint and cutting CD lifers out of it - lots of publishers do it when they want to go into different creative directions, etc.

But to publish a trade edition worth $25 of high cost books from big name authors and then publish the limited/lettered through a different imprint for no reason but to cut out lifers.... it is wrong.

thecollector
03-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Actually if you think about it, this probably is the biggest announcement that CD has published. From A Buick 8 had a trade edition, as with every other Limited Edition done in ages, so while exciting they are not very exclusive. It's been since the days of Eyes of the Dragon and the first couple Dark Tower books that King has given a small press an exclusive story to print with no plans for a mass market edition.

I noticed that although the SK site said CD is the exclusive hardback company, they said nothing about paperbacks. The fact that they specified hardbacks though makes me thing a mass market paperback will be out sometime in the future...of course it could be years into the future :)

Since there's almost a month to pre-order I'll wait and see if amazon lists it (no listing currently) if I don't see anything by the release date I'll get it from CD.

Clacke
03-29-2010, 08:21 AM
The official SK site has an actual publication date of April 20th 2010. Also a link to a jpg of the whole dustjacket:

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/blockade_billy/med_dust_jacket.jpg

jhanic
03-29-2010, 08:41 AM
I ordered the trade. I did not pre-order the s/l--who knows when it will be published? I think Sir Boomme has a valid complaint here too. I see no reason for their publishing the s/l version under the Lonely Roads imprint other than screwing those, like him, who have life-time memberships for CD. It's just WRONG!

John

mae
03-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Hate baseball. Can't wait for this book :excited:

I love it that Billy's team is the New Jersey Titans (I'm from NJ myself).

Room 217 Caretaker
03-29-2010, 09:19 AM
I ordered the trade w/ card. It is my understanding the card is only available through CD.

Special Bonus With Your Order!

For a very limited time only, we'll be including an authentic William "Blockade Billy" Blakely baseball card with every copy of the trade hardcover edition we ship. Just place your order through our website and we'll do the rest!

I love baseball stories and King's writing. This will be a treat for me.

I'm excited

Ralph

Nerak
03-29-2010, 09:30 AM
I am not holding my breath on this one! I did send an email to Mindy asking if it was going to be out THIS APRIL! LOL

Sam
03-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Honestly, I would hope they publish SOD2 before they publish this new book. Especially since it was solicited years before. I'll wait until the book is actually in print before I order. I have nothing against CD's work as their books are absolutely beautiful pieces of art in themselves. It's their track record that makes me not want to preorder anything else from them.

shnnrc01
03-29-2010, 09:55 AM
ill be waiting for the amazon discount too,and i wouldnt worry too much about not receiving a free baseball card,those babies are going to be so mass produced the fuckin' printer will be crying out for a 7th inning stretch!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Amazon for me too.

lophophoras
03-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Honestly, I would hope they publish SOD2 before they publish this new book. Especially since it was solicited years before. I'll wait until the book is actually in print before I order. I have nothing against CD's work as their books are absolutely beautiful pieces of art in themselves. It's their track record that makes me not want to preorder anything else from them.

I'm with you Sam. I would rather they come on with SOD II first.

I will be ordering a copy though.

mae
03-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Perhaps the Blockade Billy talk should be split into its own thread?

jhanic
03-29-2010, 10:37 AM
I don' think I've ever seen a CD proof/ARC of their novellas. I hope this one will be the exception.

John

surly
03-29-2010, 10:38 AM

I never even thought of that. I'm not a CD member and that burns me -- I can't even imagine how you must be feeling.

Who picks which small press gets these projects? Seriously. Has anyone every posed the question to Ms. Mod and got an answer? I just find it so hard to understand that Jared gets turned down but this is allowed to go on.

I'll be happy to pose the question over at SKMB if nobody has already.

Wow.

Cutter
03-29-2010, 10:39 AM
there's no way they could give away 25 free Limited Editions, or however many lifetimers they have.

give away? i spent over $6000.00 on my lifetime membership... that's not exactly what i consider giving away.
I understand, and it does suck, but CD is not the only publisher to start imprints with the sole purpose of making 100% profit over 90% profit because they have lifetimers. I have two lifetime subs and both those publishers went to imprints, and the imprint books I do not get with my sub. And one did it a month or two after I bought mine. :angry:

wizardsrainbow
03-29-2010, 10:50 AM
free baseball card,those babies are going to be so mass produced the fuckin' printer will be crying out for a 7th inning stretch!!

LOL!

swintek
03-29-2010, 11:19 AM
I think this looks extremely cool.

I also find it a bit curious that LRB will be doing the limited, and yeah, it just might be to maximize profit on this title. I understand that. I know that are lot's of folks' who have had it with CD over the last several years, and I've certainly been one of them. But I go way back with them to the begining- and I'm always rooting for them to pull it together. I think anybody who has ever met or even talked to Rich knows what a great guy he is. It's obvious CD has been financially treading water for years now, frantically shuffling preorder money on new books to pay for printing on other long overdue books. I make no judgements as to that, but I will say that this book is just the kind of thing they needed: an original King story- for cheap!- that will generate a lot of funds. Funds that will hopefully put them back on track. If they are pulling the LRB switcheroo to maximize profit, I'd bet it's not about putting it in their pockets- at this point, it's about saving the company. King might even be savvy to this himself, and is his way of helping them out.

I placed an order directly through them- something I haven't done in a long time. Hope it helps. Despite my frustration with looong-overdue books, in my heart, I want CD to rally.

Ron

mae
03-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm just looking forward to a new King story! :excited:

lophophoras
03-29-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm just looking forward to a new King story! :excited:

Me too, regardless the avenue.

:thumbsup:

Ari_Racing
03-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I must say I'm really impressed. I was counting on a S/L edition, but receiving the news of a new book with a very affordable price and promoted at SK website as well, with the promise of being released in less than a month...there's no way I could not be excited! :)

Ben Mears
03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Unless I missed it there is no information on the print run or page count. My guess is that the book will be readily available on Amazon for $15.

mae
03-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Judging by the width of the spine as shown on StephenKing.com, it looks to be about the size of the hardcover edition of The Colorado Kid.

jhanic
03-29-2010, 11:48 AM

I also find it a bit curious that LRB will be doing the limited, and yeah, it just might be to maximize profit on this title. I understand that. I know that are lot's of folks' who have had it with CD over the last several years, and I've certainly been one of them. But I go way back with them to the begining- and I'm always rooting for them to pull it together. I think anybody who has ever met or even talked to Rich knows what a great guy he is. It's obvious CD has been financially treading water for years now, frantically shuffling preorder money on new books to pay for printing on other long overdue books. I make no judgements as to that, but I will say that this book is just the kind of thing they needed: an original King story- for cheap!- that will generate a lot of funds. Funds that will hopefully put them back on track. If they are pulling the LRB switcheroo to maximize profit, I'd bet it's not about putting it in their pockets- at this point, it's about saving the company. King might even be savvy to this himself, and is his way of helping them out.

I placed an order directly through them- something I haven't done in a long time. Hope it helps. Despite my frustration with looong-overdue books, in my heart, I want CD to rally.

Ron

Ron, I agree with you regarding the reasons CD is having so many promotions, etc. It's also called a Ponzi scheme, where new "subscribers" are used to pay off the previous ones.

John

johnsmith87
03-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Hmm, I just don't think that CD could get away with delaying an exclusive King title with a firm 4/20 release date. Maybe I'm being too optimistic here, but I'm excited about this one.

mae
03-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Right, this is being advertised all over Stephen King's official site, with the date of April 20. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't ship around that time. They're saying it's at the printer now.

jhanic
03-29-2010, 12:01 PM
If I remember correctly, they came out on time with their publications of From a Buick 8 back in 2002. Of course, they may have been more financially secure then, but I don't think they'd want to alienate King in any way.

John

Lenny
03-29-2010, 12:12 PM
If I remember correctly, they came out on time with their publications of From a Buick 8 back in 2002. Of course, they may have been more financially secure then, but I don't think they'd want to alienate King in any way.

John

As a publisher I would imagine King is the very last author you would want to piss off. That is guaranteed money as long as you dont screw it up.

Ben Mears
03-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Right, this is being advertised all over Stephen King's official site, with the date of April 20. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't ship around that time. They're saying it's at the printer now.

The fact that the SK site indicated an April 20 pub date lends credibility to CD's claim. Since it is a first time release and not a reprint (SOD) they were most likely contractually obligated to deliver a final product prior to receiving permission to publicize the event.
This along, with Full Dark, No Stars are probably the two SK books that have been mentioned for 2010 publication. Rats, I was hoping he would unleash The Cannibals!

Sir_Boomme
03-29-2010, 12:34 PM

Room 217 Caretaker
03-29-2010, 12:50 PM
I look forward to seeing what artist Alex McVey (interiors artist) has in store.

Not really knowing who Glen Orbik (cover artist) is.....I'm doing some research.

Turtlex maybe able to help shed some light on him since he seems to be from the comic scene.

Edited: Glen Orbik is the Colorado Kid cover artist. Check out the links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Orbik

http://www.orbikart.com/

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Sir_Boomme
03-29-2010, 12:56 PM
After a lengthy talk with Mindy at CD, the relationship between Lonely Road vs CD was explained to me somewhat. I might have ranted a bit early. I most likely should have called her first before flying off the handle here.
and..... I should never post anything before I've had my coffee....it's bad for my blood pressure.

So... I've still got my $6175.00 worth of lettered edition orders with them at this time, and I guess I'll still need to buy that big new bookcase dammit. (I think it's actually being shipped to me tomorrow).

Lenny
03-29-2010, 01:18 PM
After a lengthy talk with Mindy at CD, the relationship between Lonely Road vs CD was explained to me somewhat. I might have ranted a bit early. I most likely should have called her first before flying off the handle here.
and..... I should never post anything before I've had my coffee....it's bad for my blood pressure.

So... I've still got my $6175.00 worth of lettered edition orders with them at this time, and I guess I'll still need to buy that big new bookcase dammit. (I think it's actually being shipped to me tomorrow).

Mindy must be one HELL of a smooth talker to get you down off the ledge so easily. :| Either way glad this afternoon is going better for you than this morning.

swintek
03-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Hope this is okay to repost from Shocklines, from Brian Freeman:

Hey gang!

We think that Stephen King's first baseball story -- being a surprise announcement with a pub date that's less than a month away -- is a pretty big announcement. How many other small presses have published the first edition of an original SK book in the last 20 years?

We're still checking to see if King's people want us to announce the number of copies in the first printing, but let me just say this: this morning we were already authorized to do a second printing based on the initial sales. Yet only 40% of our mailing list (25,000 people) has gotten the announcement, and they haven't even sent the note to SK's mailing list (which makes our list look tiny).

First editions with the Blockade Billy baseball card are probably going to end up being pretty scarce. They will not be going to distributors.

http://www.BlockadeBilly.com

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman
http://www.cemeterydance.com

I've also been on the phone with ESPN, SI, Time, and many others today. Lots of cool coverage coming.

SkippyD023
03-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Hey gang!

We think that Stephen King's first baseball story -- being a surprise announcement with a pub date that's less than a month away -- is a pretty big announcement. How many other small presses have published the first edition of an original SK book in the last 20 years?

We're still checking to see if King's people want us to announce the number of copies in the first printing, but let me just say this: this morning we were already authorized to do a second printing based on the initial sales. Yet only 40% of our mailing list (25,000 people) has gotten the announcement, and they haven't even sent the note to SK's mailing list (which makes our list look tiny).

First editions with the Blockade Billy baseball card are probably going to end up being pretty scarce. They will not be going to distributors.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

I've also been on the phone with ESPN, SI, Time, and many others today. Lots of cool coverage coming.

So does this mean they have already sold out and depending on when you placed your order you might not be getting a First Edition of the book?

Ben Mears
03-29-2010, 02:47 PM

Hey gang!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

So does this mean they have already sold out and depending on when you placed your order you might not be getting a First Edition of the book?

Likely more hype.

swintek
03-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah, definitely a bit of hype. I'm sure there will be a second printing, but more than likely just to accommodate large retailer (i.e. amazon) orders. CD will hand sell only first printings, I'm sure.

Ben Mears
03-29-2010, 04:01 PM
I look forward to seeing what artist Alex McVey (interiors artist) has in store.

Not really knowing who Glen Orbik (cover artist) is.....I'm doing some research.

Turtlex maybe able to help shed some light on him since he seems to be from the comic scene.

Edited: Glen Orbik is the Colorado Kid cover artist. Check out the links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Orbik

http://www.orbikart.com/

Mulleins

Cumberland VA

The McVey interiors will likely be b/w ink drawings. I'm not all that enamored with his work. Kind of wish they had Orbik do the 8 interiors in the Rockwell style he used on the cover.

Bev Vincent
03-29-2010, 04:49 PM
One reason I'm so jazzed about this story -- besides the fact that it's a pretty cool tale -- is that King honored me by using (a slightly modified version of) my name for one of the minor characters.

Room 217 Caretaker
03-29-2010, 04:56 PM
One reason I'm so jazzed about this story -- besides the fact that it's a pretty cool tale -- is that King honored me by using (a slightly modified version of) my name for one of the minor characters.

:rock: Rock on Bev. That is awesome.

A true honor indeed.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
03-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Very cool, Bev! :thumbsup:

When I received the email this morning, I was a little disappointed because I still think CD overhyped the announcement last week.

That said, given that the edition is already at the printer, has a publication date less than a month away, comes with a bonus card, and most importantly, cost only $25, I went ahead and ordered a copy straight from CD.

I'll wait until the S/L is published and then consider buying a copy of that version.

Looking forward to reading this novella.

jhanic
03-29-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm curious about the print run of this trade edition. CD isn't known for their large print runs, but I'm guessing about 10,000.

John

gsvec
03-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Against my better judgement, I ordered a trade copy from CD. And don't you just LOVE, by the way, that you're never allowed to use any store credit for SK titles?

mae
03-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Bev, do you know what the page count is?

CurtSeattle
03-29-2010, 08:05 PM
My guess is....

Vin Bevcint

Sam
03-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Against my better judgement, I ordered a trade copy from CD. And don't you just LOVE, by the way, that you're never allowed to use any store credit for SK titles?

They've had some of my money for a few years, I feel I should be able to take that money and put it toward any book they publish since I haven't gotten a book in return for it yet. Just my thoughts mind you.

biomieg
03-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Cool, Bev! By the way, do you have any idea whether or not CD issued a proof of the book?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Overlook Connection are selling it WITH the baseball card!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-29-2010, 11:31 PM
John, there is an ARC of Blockade Billy. The SKMB Mod says:

It is a novella. The ARC I have has 112 pages and I would think that will be the same for the final print edition.

Rahfa
03-30-2010, 02:56 AM

I posted this earlier, but I guess it didn't show up...

But anyway...what on earth did she say to you? I don't frankly see how they can justify that decision - sure, they can explain it way, but that doesn't mean it's justitified.

I definitley don't think you ranted too early - I'm not sure you ranted ENOUGH.

So what did they say to convince you? I'm sorry, but this would have been the final straw for me - cancel those $6K worth of books, and see how fast they would have found a s/l of this one for you...

"On the phone with ESPN, SI and Time..." whatever...

lophophoras
03-30-2010, 03:13 AM

Very cool!

:thumbsup:

Bev Vincent
03-30-2010, 03:28 AM

No, I've only seen the manuscript and not the laid out product. The version I read last year is a little over 15,000 words.

Bev Vincent
03-30-2010, 03:29 AM
My guess is....

Vin Bevcint

Much more direct than that -- only one changed letter.

divemaster
03-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Against my better judgement, I ordered a trade copy from CD.

Yeah, me too. (Sigh) I suck. :cry:

jhanic
03-30-2010, 03:33 AM
John, there is an ARC of Blockade Billy. The SKMB Mod says:

It is a novella. The ARC I have has 112 pages and I would think that will be the same for the final print edition.

:clap: :dance:

As soon as I see a copy, I'll add it to the listing of proofs.

John

lophophoras
03-30-2010, 03:43 AM
John,

Why don't you give Mindy a call and see if she'll send you one?

:wtf:

Rahfa
03-30-2010, 03:57 AM
So Boome....what did they tell you that changed your mind from cancelling everything?

To me, I gotta say this would have been the last straw...cancel that $6K worth of orders and see how fast they find you an s/l!

carlosdetweiller
03-30-2010, 04:23 AM
So Boome....what did they tell you that changed your mind from cancelling everything?

To me, I gotta say this would have been the last straw...cancel that $6K worth of orders and see how fast they find you an s/l!

I was wondering the same thing. I was cheering you on, Terry, when you were in rant mode.

I used to get upset with the CD delays and, about once a year, I would call Mindy to complain. She is pretty good on the phone and would convince me that everything was OK, books were progressing, problems were being solved, etc. I would end up actually thanking her!!!!

But after many years I finally saw the light, canceled everything and, after a several weeks delay, got refunded.

I never did the "lifetime" thing but this Lonely Road bullshit just ain't right.

mae
03-30-2010, 04:57 AM
My guess is....

Vin Bevcint

Much more direct than that -- only one changed letter.

It's gotta be Ben Vincent.

mae
03-30-2010, 04:58 AM

No, I've only seen the manuscript and not the laid out product. The version I read last year is a little over 15,000 words.

And Ms. Mod said her ARC is 112 pages. So that's about the length of The Colorado Kid, right?

Bev Vincent
03-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Colorado Kid was about 35,000 words.

Randall Flagg
03-30-2010, 05:32 AM
Sounds more like the length of 1 or two issues of The Green Mile.

Bev Vincent
03-30-2010, 06:14 AM
The Green Mile was 135,000 words, so each installment was on average 22,000 words.

frik
03-30-2010, 06:22 AM
I really didn't have to think too long - and ordered my copy. Any new King-publication 's got my vote.

sk

mae
03-30-2010, 06:23 AM
So for the book to be 112 pages, it has to be set at a pretty leisurely point and layout, probably moreso than the hardcover Colorado Kid (love the design of that book).

Randall Flagg
03-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Chattery Teeth and Blind Willie are ~12,700 words, and Dolan's Cadillac is ~19,000.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Here's what CD told the Mod at SKMB...

Once BLOCKADE BILLY is here and shipped, we will send SECRETARY #2 to press.

mae
03-30-2010, 06:36 AM
I'm really not a fan of baseball, like I said, I find it utterly boring, but for some reason I'm really looking forward to this book. Maybe it's the period, or the very creepy synopsis, or just the oh-my-god awesome front cover. :excited:

Bev, since Billy's team is the New Jersey Titans, is this story set in NJ? Is that something you can disclose to us? And would that be King's first story set in my home state? I can't offhand recall any others.

lophophoras
03-30-2010, 07:15 AM

That being said. How long do you think it will take to actually have the book (SODII) in our hands?

:orely:

Merlin1958
03-30-2010, 09:53 AM

Ron

Ron, I agree with you regarding the reasons CD is having so many promotions, etc. It's also called a Ponzi scheme, where new "subscribers" are used to pay off the previous ones.

John

Exactly Put 'em right next to Madoff. Personally, I believe they deserve to go down. If they can't pull it together after all these years and the stable of Authors they have, they shouldn't be in business. The attitude is just incredible over there!!

I've owned and operated business' in the past and if I treated my customers the way they treat theirs I wouldn't have lasted a week, never mind 20 years!!!

WeDealInLead
03-30-2010, 10:27 AM
I ordered a copy last night. I don't think they'll screw this one up.

ibeforej
03-30-2010, 10:35 AM
After dwelling on it for a few hours, I finally put in an order for my own copy. Since the release date is pretty much guaranteed and there is a chance the 1st edition may sell out, I couldn't help myself. :)

BTW, I've also dealt with a lot of delays (I bought in on the $3K Ultimate Collector Deal back in 8/2007), but Mindy has always been more than helpful. I've had a few titles swapped out when publishing issues came up (like Sinister Purposes Lettered) and everything has always been resolved in a quick manner. I even had a few refunds, but only small ones like when I bought lifetime novella and signature series subs and had to cancel my preordered novella and signature books.

My fingers are crossed for a good year with CD- with lots of releases, so I can check some of these lettereds off of my "T(hey)-O(we)-M(e)" list.

Rahfa
03-30-2010, 01:32 PM
After dwelling on it for a few hours, I finally put in an order for my own copy. Since the release date is pretty much guaranteed and there is a chance the 1st edition may sell out, I couldn't help myself. :)

BTW, I've also dealt with a lot of delays (I bought in on the $3K Ultimate Collector Deal back in 8/2007), but Mindy has always been more than helpful. I've had a few titles swapped out when publishing issues came up (like Sinister Purposes Lettered) and everything has always been resolved in a quick manner. I even had a few refunds, but only small ones like when I bought lifetime novella and signature series subs and had to cancel my preordered novella and signature books.

My fingers are crossed for a good year with CD- with lots of releases, so I can check some of these lettereds off of my "T(hey)-O(we)-M(e)" list.

Well, I can't help but be snide...but what do you mean "more than helpful?" Did she provide the books you ordered? I'm sure she's been courteous...but I'm not sure that's "more than" helpful...

But you're right...the book will sell out or come close to it, so no harm in buying it...they'll hit the publication date - on this one.

Darkday
03-30-2010, 02:50 PM
The version I read last year is a little over 15,000 words.
I'd rather call it a short story then. With "novella" I associate much longer stories like e.g. The Mist (50,000 words) or Apt Pupil (74,000 words).

jhanic
03-30-2010, 03:07 PM
One of my contacts came through. I've got a Blockade Billy ARC coming to me next week.

John

Patrick
03-30-2010, 03:17 PM

What a crock. I guess the UNDER THE DOME excuse was wearing thin, so now they have a new excuse. SOD II has been paid for, it should have been sent to press long before now.

To me the message is that CD has no money to print SOD II. They need the positive net cashflow from BLOCKADE sales to afford to continue the SOD II publication process that their customers already paid them to do.

Patrick
03-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Congrats on securing an ARC so quickly, John! Very impressive. Guess we should expect no less from you at this point though. :lol:

The version I read last year is a little over 15,000 words.
I'd rather call it a short story then. With "novella" I associate much longer stories like e.g. The Mist (50,000 words) or Apt Pupil (74,000 words).
So then, based on this approximate wordcount, do you consider BLOCKADE BILLY to be a hardcover chapbook?

Just wondering what your thoughts are. Given the price, I'm ok with it.

Bev Vincent
03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
There are no hard and fast rules, but what you call a novella would be a novel for just about any author other than King.

The Nebula awards use the following definition:

Novel: a work of 40,000 words or more
Novella: a work of at least 17,500 words but under 40,000 words
Novelette: a work of at least 7,500 words but under 17,500 words
Short story: a work of under 7,500 words

ibeforej
03-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Well, I can't help but be snide...but what do you mean "more than helpful?" Did she provide the books you ordered? I'm sure she's been courteous...but I'm not sure that's "more than" helpful...

But you're right...the book will sell out or come close to it, so no harm in buying it...they'll hit the publication date - on this one.

In my case, my collector's deal consisted of a lot of current instock books PLUS a copy of everything that was currently available to preorder on the site. So, when Forever Twilight lettered didn't happen, she was quick to email me so I could swap out another title. In another instance, again Forever Twilight limited, my order for the book was tagged incorrectly, so when I noticed I was still due the book, she had it in the mail 2 days later.

Also, one of the few times I requested a refund I received it within a few days- it was for "Dark Tower Complete Concordance". I ordered it years ago for my mom and had no idea it would take longer than 9 months to come out- I was a CD newbie back then. :unsure:

ibeforej
03-30-2010, 03:50 PM
The latest CD mailer states that only direct orders through CD will be guaranteed a first edition- I wonder if this will affect Overlook since they're already selling preorders for the "only" edition (which we know may not be the case) with a baseball card.

carlosdetweiller
03-30-2010, 03:52 PM

Mindy is a public relations specialist among her other duties at CD. When you are on the telephone with her it is her job to tell you what you want to hear. She is very good at it. I fell for the CD spiel for years. I would call with concerns and would be told that I didn't need to worry, the books were all progressing, the company was solvent, etc., etc. It is her job to make you feel better and not go canceling existing orders. It is her job and she does it well. It doesn't make the books come any quicker but it keeps money from leaving the CD accounts.

Randall Flagg
03-30-2010, 04:06 PM
There are no hard and fast rules, but what you call a novella would be a novel for just about any author other than King.

The Nebula awards use the following definition:

Novel: a work of 40,000 words or more
Novella: a work of at least 17,500 words but under 40,000 words
Novelette: a work of at least 7,500 words but under 17,500 words
Short story: a work of under 7,500 words
Using those definitions, it's a Novelette.
It is great to hear about and anticipate any new King work-particularly fiction. $25..meh..As long as it is on time.

CurtSeattle
03-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Here is the new update....
-------------------------------------

"Word of Blockade Billy by Stephen King is taking the Internet by storm, including articles on Entertainment Weekly's website and other high traffic venues, and sales are stronger than expected. We're hearing from media all over the world and expect the stories in the next few weeks to drive demand even higher. We've gotten a sneak peek at the trade reviews, starting with Publishers Weekly, and they are GLOWING. In terms of media interest, this is easily the biggest announcement we've ever made!

In terms of sales, in just six hours yesterday, the book became our bestselling title EVER in the history of Cemetery Dance. Based on the first day's sales, the FIRST printing is only going to be available to our direct customers and it is the only printing to get the limited edition Blockade Billy baseball card. We can only guarantee copies from the first printing for those who place direct orders through our online store.

We are working on a second printing to take care of some of the distributors, but those copies will not include the baseball card and will be specifically marked as second printings. We cannot guarantee that any specific online retailer will be getting copies at this time, but we are working with the other parties involved to try to make sure everyone gets some copies for their customers."------------------------------------------
Again, I haven't had a bad experience with them at all (quite the contrary), so I'm excited for them (and me) that it's there best selling book ever. If they can bounce back and deliver on the things that they have promised I hope everyone will give them another chance (or a 2nd or 3rd or whatever chance...hehehe!).

We all bite off more than we can chew sometimes. I know it's not smart in business, but lessons can be learned from. I don't know how to handle the lifetime thing if you aren't going to get any love from their "other" entity/company, but I would talk to them and find out how they will make it right by you. Sounds like you already have maybe.

Right or wrong, it sounds like each of you (and now me too!) have relationships of some nature with Cemetery and them having their best selling book ever (and evidently being able to hit the deadline!) is worth something.

We sometimes don't like people for the way they act in my experience, but I still secretly would root for them on Jeopardy if they popped up there. I mean I know them out of the billions of people on earth and that's something isn't it? hehehe! I'm always a glass half full guy though. Even when it's full of day old gatorade, some weird hair from somewhere floating in it and it looks like my girlfriends Lee press on nail is floating in it too. Still, better than nothing in a pinch. ;)

Curt
p.s. Just reread my post and to put my money where my mouth is, I'm going to buy ANOTHER copy from them. :)

herbertwest
03-30-2010, 10:55 PM
One of my contacts came through. I've got a Blockade Billy ARC coming to me next week.

John

ditto :-)

lophophoras
03-31-2010, 03:41 AM

John

That's cool John! Congrats!

divemaster
03-31-2010, 04:04 AM
We all bite off more than we can chew sometimes. I know it's not smart in business, but lessons can be learned from.

The "lesson" CD needs to learn is that a business should not charge for goods until they are ready to be delivered. A deposit? Sure. Maybe 10% or something to make sure the buyer has some skin in the game and will think twice about cancelling an order. I'd even go as high as 20% considering this is a specialty publisher and not a clearinghouse like Amazon.

But like was said upthread--what they have going is a PONZI scheme. It's just not right to charge for items that can not and will not be delivered for years, if at all. Just charge when you ship! Simple!

Rahfa
03-31-2010, 05:10 AM
Here is the new update....
-------------------------------------

We all bite off more than we can chew sometimes. I know it's not smart in business, but lessons can be learned from. I don't know how to handle the lifetime thing if you aren't going to get any love from their "other" entity/company, but I would talk to them and find out how they will make it right by you. Sounds like you already have maybe.

We sometimes don't like people for the way they act in my experience, but I still secretly would root for them on Jeopardy if they popped up there. I mean I know them out of the billions of people on earth and that's something isn't it? hehehe! I'm always a glass half full guy though. Even when it's full of day old gatorade, some weird hair from somewhere floating in it and it looks like my girlfriends Lee press on nail is floating in it too. Still, better than nothing in a pinch. ;)

Curt

The problem, of course, is that in CD's case, there isn't any glass at all.

Naturally it's their best-selling book, it's not a 1K limited edition, but has several thousand editions, so it's not normally what they do.

The good news, maybe, is that this influx of cash will let them produce the SoD lettereds and Vol. 2 s/l that I've taken money for several years ago. Read the first post of the thread, then look at the date...then you'll understand why the water in the glass has evaporated....

But....I think they'll easily produce THIS book...so that's good. Don't even get me started on the whole Lonely Roads/CD split though...but I don't have a dog in the hunt, so whatever.

Nerak
03-31-2010, 05:39 AM

John

I got two coming in the mail. Already shipped!

Nerak
03-31-2010, 05:43 AM
now...let me pose this question..

If Uncle Stevie likes DMG's work so much, and CD is always late, why doesn't he give DMG more work and CD less? We would be happy to publish ANYTHING of his, not just Dark Tower stuff!

Ari_Racing
03-31-2010, 05:43 AM
And I have one coming as well :)

Can't wait to read it!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-31-2010, 06:07 AM

If Uncle Stevie likes DMG's work so much, and CD is always late, why doesn't he give DMG more work and CD less? We would be happy to publish ANYTHING of his, not just Dark Tower stuff!

Quite simple. King knows all about CD's problems. That's why he gave them this unpublished story, to keep them in business. King will try to help the small publishers when he can.

Darkday
03-31-2010, 08:56 AM
So then, based on this approximate wordcount, do you consider BLOCKADE BILLY to be a hardcover chapbook?You can certainly call it that, but I don't think that the publication form is related to the story categorization.

Just wondering what your thoughts are. Given the price, I'm ok with it.Actually I think the price is rather steep for what little story you get. Of course I'll buy it anyway, but not from CD. I have learned my lesson.

There are no hard and fast rules [...]I agree. The wordcount is only a guideline, more important (but also less tangible) are the characteristics of the story. Wikipedia mentions the following: "Usually a short story focuses on only one incident, has a single plot, a single setting, a small number of characters, and covers a short period of time. [...] [T]ypical [...] is an abrupt beginning, with the story starting in the middle of the action [...] [T]he endings of many short stories are abrupt and open [...]".

And about novellas: "A novella has generally fewer conflicts than novels, yet more complicated ones than short stories. The conflicts also have more time to develop. They have endings that are located at the brink of change. Unlike novels, they are not divided into chapters, and are often intended to be read at a single sitting, as the short story, although white space is often used to divide the sections. They maintain, therefore, a single effect."

Let's wait and see which characteristics apply to Blockade Billy.

Nerak
03-31-2010, 09:10 AM

Quite simple. King knows all about CD's problems. That's why he gave them this unpublished story, to keep them in business. King will try to help the small publishers when he can.

Yeah? We need help! LOL I would love to sell a King book every few months!

Lenny
03-31-2010, 09:16 AM

Yeah? We need help! LOL I would love to sell a King book every few months!

Karen I really with King would use you guys more often. Every book I have from you is wonderful.

mae
03-31-2010, 09:16 AM
SK considers Cycle of the Werewolf a novel. And that's pretty short too.

Darkday
03-31-2010, 10:08 AM
SK considers Cycle of the Werewolf a novel. And that's pretty short too.
In the introduction to Silver Bullet, King calls Cycle of the Werewolf "a sort of twelve-part novella".

mae
03-31-2010, 10:12 AM
It's listed under novels on the official site, and every time I see it mentioned it's called a novel.

mae
03-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Amazon has now listed Blockade Billy for pre-order for the same $25, shipping-free:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1587672286

johnsmith87
03-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Barnes and Noble also has it up for pre-order, for only $13.50 :beat:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Blockade-Billy/Stephen-King/e/9781587672286/?itm=1&USRI=blockade+billy

Strangely, it has the pub. date listed as 4/28. Not sure if that's just for B&N, or a sign of CD delays to come. :orely: