PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89

Dan
04-12-2014, 08:16 AM
How many are PS doing? (looks at lack of space on bookshelf and sighs)

Sounds to me like it's time to start expansion at your home. Should be easy to justify with a significant other, just tell her it's for Stephen King books. If she agrees, she is a keeper! :biggrin1:

herbertwest
04-12-2014, 08:50 AM
I personnally think that, despite the fact that you guys are sort of competing together, it would be great and make "sense" if CD was to help PS Publishing to sell their copies when you're copies are sold out.
For instance, by mentionning THEIR copies on the website or something like this.

I like that idea. I suspect, although I haven't asked Pete, that his edition is doing pretty well for him. We sold the copies of his edition that he allotted us in no time at all, so I bet his other retailers saw the same thing and he's doing well through his own store. Just a guess, though! He has a lot of collectors who plan on getting the complete anniversary set through him, I bet. Should end up being a very nice set.

Brian

To be honnest, I dont think that it sells very well.
The print run is : 974 copies
His website says that there are still 687 copies left, therefore about 2/3 of the copies are still available...

stroppygoblin
04-12-2014, 10:12 AM
I personnally think that, despite the fact that you guys are sort of competing together, it would be great and make "sense" if CD was to help PS Publishing to sell their copies when you're copies are sold out.
For instance, by mentionning THEIR copies on the website or something like this.

I like that idea. I suspect, although I haven't asked Pete, that his edition is doing pretty well for him. We sold the copies of his edition that he allotted us in no time at all, so I bet his other retailers saw the same thing and he's doing well through his own store. Just a guess, though! He has a lot of collectors who plan on getting the complete anniversary set through him, I bet. Should end up being a very nice set.

Brian

His website says that there are still 687 copies left, therefore about 2/3 of the copies are still available...

You mentioned this before. Where are you seeing those figures?

Brian James Freeman
04-12-2014, 10:49 AM

Brian

I bet that inventory count hasn't been adjusted for the retailer sales yet. Just a guess based on what I know from our sales of the title and my discussions with Pete. But if he needs any help, he knows we're always happy to promote his projects!

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-12-2014, 10:49 AM
How many are PS doing? (looks at lack of space on bookshelf and sighs)

Sounds to me like it's time to start expansion at your home. Should be easy to justify with a significant other, just tell her it's for Stephen King books. If she agrees, she is a keeper! :biggrin1:

Ha! I like that thinking... :)

Brian

T-Dogz_AK47
04-12-2014, 11:34 AM

Brian

Yes, he has mentioned this before... What baffles me is that I have just visited the PS Publishing website and it DOES NOT show how many copies are left available... :nope:

herbertwest, where are these figures you mentioned coming from? :confused: :confused:

Randall Flagg
04-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Put 700 copies in your basket. See what happens.

stroppygoblin
04-12-2014, 12:03 PM

Your credit card explodes ...

T-Dogz_AK47
04-12-2014, 12:05 PM

No, I'll put 700 copies into your basket... :lol: :rofl: :D :P

Rachel Readman
04-12-2014, 12:07 PM
That would be one very heavy and expensive basket.

Randall Flagg
04-12-2014, 12:29 PM

You don't consummate the act.

Brian James Freeman
04-12-2014, 12:58 PM

:emot-roflolmao::emot-roflolmao:

Brian

Randall Flagg
04-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Oh shit, I just put 687 in my cart and went too far. My CC went through for £41,213.13 ($69,000.00).
I'm going to need tippy4 to help me sell all of these...

T-Dogz_AK47
04-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Oh shit, I just put 687 in my cart and went too far. My CC went through for £41,213.13 ($69,000.00).

Hahahahaha.... :lol: :rofl:

Randall Flagg
04-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Hahahahaha.... :lol: :rofl:
Not kidding, I am trying to reverse the charges......
So much for trying to be a smarts ass....
Very expensive mistake.

Lookwhoitis
04-12-2014, 05:48 PM
good lord, I can only imagine how much trouble I'd get in if I had a $70K limit credit card and used it to fund collectibles!

Merlin1958
04-12-2014, 05:51 PM
good lord, I can only imagine how much trouble I'd get in if I had a $70K limit credit card and used it to fund collectibles!

Well, he is ...TMIDITW!!!!!

He doesn't drink beer often, but when he does he drinks, IPA!!! (Maybe a little too much)? LOL

Randall Flagg
04-12-2014, 08:09 PM
I just found out that a $100K limit sucks. Still trying to "withdraw" my purchase.

BTW I am joking, so do not get your panties in a bunch.

Randall Flagg
04-12-2014, 08:14 PM
See post 8266

mcdonaldj
04-12-2014, 08:16 PM
See post 8266

Saw it. Strange, I never noticed they were #'d before.

Also, getting a proxy error for the Haven donation widget at the top of the page. Might be just me as I'm on community wifi but thought I'd mention it.

Randall Flagg
04-13-2014, 05:07 AM
See post 8266

Saw it. Strange, I never noticed they were #'d before.

Also, getting a proxy error for the Haven donation widget at the top of the page. Might be just me as I'm on community wifi but thought I'd mention it.
Proxy error is now gone.

herbertwest
04-13-2014, 06:14 AM
I just found out that a $100K limit sucks. Still trying to "withdraw" my purchase.

Makes me wonder how many copies at the maximum CD would "allow" someone to buy. Just being nosy as I wont even order more than 1 gift edition.
Would CD allow 5, 10, 50, 100 copies to a single individual?

T-Dogz_AK47
04-13-2014, 07:20 AM

Brian

Yes, he has mentioned this before... What baffles me is that I have just visited the PS Publishing website and it DOES NOT show how many copies are left available... :nope:

herbertwest, where are these figures you mentioned coming from? :confused: :confused:

Makes me wonder how many copies at the maximum CD would "allow" someone to buy. Just being nosy as I wont even order more than 1 gift edition.

Does it matter?

More to the point, I can't help noticing that you haven't answered the question posed by myself and stroppygoblin... :nope:

The PS Publishing website DOES NOT show how many copies of their books they have left available, so where are you getting the information that they have 687 copies left of Carrie from??? :orely:

The Library Policeman
04-13-2014, 07:26 AM
It's something to do with adding more books than are available to the cart and they will tell you how many are left......... I think.

Tommy
04-13-2014, 07:27 AM
If you add more books than are available to your cart, it will alert you of just how many copies are left

thegreattim
04-13-2014, 07:31 AM
Does it matter?

More to the point, I can't help noticing that you haven't answered the question posed by myself and stroppygoblin... :nope:

The PS Publishing website DOES NOT show how many copies of their books they have left available, so where are you getting the information that they have 687 copies left of Carrie from??? :orely:

As others were alluding to above, go try putting 700 copies of Carrie in your cart and see what happens. No one's dodging any questions...

ETA: Whoops, looks like others beat me to the explanation.

Kingfan24
04-13-2014, 08:21 AM
687 Copies of PS Publishings carrie left and only about 75 of CD's left...

So PS sold about 300 whereas CD sold 675 of their artist signed edition even at a higher price. Interesting.

Randall Flagg
04-13-2014, 09:29 AM

Brian

Does it matter?

Post 8255 (and other posts as well), explained that if you put more copies in your cart/basket than are available, the system tells you how many remain.

herbertwest
04-14-2014, 12:37 AM
I didnt answer because Randall Flagg did mention it already. And again. But just to be sure :
add many items in your shopping bag (eg : 1,000), and continue the purchase. It will tell that you cant order that many because there are X copies left (in their system). As Brian as mentionned, it may not be 100% accurate as it MAY not include copies sold through partners such as CD.

mikeC
04-14-2014, 05:49 AM
Who actually owns Dead Zone rights? Stu explained alot on the tour but I can't remember.

Do you mean the book? Presumably Penguin / Viking still does, but it depends upon the terms of the contract. Whenever the rights to a book have lapsed (the Doubleday books, for example), they've gone over to Scribner's paperback imprint.

I guess so I'm just wondering why this book is always left out like this CD series and audiobooks.

Bev Vincent
04-14-2014, 06:55 AM
It was King's first book with Viking, which has been rolled into Penguin over the years. The currently available paperback is Signet, which is also part of Penguin. So, it's not part of the Doubleday collection. Pet Sematary is an odd man out, published by Doubleday a few years after King left them as part of a contract settlement deal.

webstar1000
04-14-2014, 07:25 AM
It was King's first book with Viking, which has been rolled into Penguin over the years. The currently available paperback is Signet, which is also part of Penguin. So, it's not part of the Doubleday collection. Pet Sematary is an odd man out, published by Doubleday a few years after King left them as part of a contract settlement deal.

Bev was King mad at Doubleday because of any reason (like the quality of books)?

Brian James Freeman
04-14-2014, 07:35 AM

Bev was King mad at Doubleday because of any reason (like the quality of books)?

Here is a really interesting overview of how Doubleday ended up publishing Pet Sematary years after King had moved to Viking:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/01/the-great-stephen-king-re-read-pet-sematary

Make sure you read the whole way to this line "The book opens when Louis Creed and his family—wife Rachel, daughter Ellie, toddler son Gage—move from Chicago to a house in Ludlow, Maine" to get the story about King's contract status with Doubleday, etc.

Brian

Bev Vincent
04-14-2014, 07:38 AM
You can read his thoughts on the matter (http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/03/09/lifetimes/kin-v-behind.html) here.

Brian James Freeman
04-14-2014, 07:52 AM
You can read his thoughts on the matter (http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/03/09/lifetimes/kin-v-behind.html) here.

LOVE this:

"My only extravagances have been a canoe, a video recorder and hardcover books."

Brian

webstar1000
04-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Two GREAT articles. Thanks guys!

Merlin1958
04-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Yes, thank you very much. Enjoyable reads both!!

Patrick
04-14-2014, 10:07 PM
Ditto. Thanks for both links.

webstar1000
04-15-2014, 03:06 AM
Less than 10 copies left of Artist Edition.... she is gonna sell out... not sure about GE yet.

stroppygoblin
04-15-2014, 03:20 AM
GE wont sell out for a while. expect to see another surge on release when everyone sees the finished product.
Im happy with my decision on going for the AE. I have been assured my requested number as well which matches my PS editions :)

webstar1000
04-15-2014, 04:02 AM
GE wont sell out for a while. expect to see another surge on release when everyone sees the finished product.
Im happy with my decision on going for the AE. I have been assured my requested number as well which matches my PS editions :)

Yeah I am happy I bit the bullet and went for it too. I would not have if I couldn't have got my number but Brian and Mindy promised it. I also agree with you once people see the product things will change. CD is not going to let "ANY BALLS" drop on this or A) it will kill the next 5 that they are totally invested in and B) kind of have people lose a little faith in them which is very high as we all know now.

somekindofstranger
04-15-2014, 06:39 AM
Only GE available now it seems. Still torn as I had already pre-ordered the PS version...decisions decisions!!!

Brian James Freeman
04-15-2014, 07:28 AM
We’re pleased to announce we’ll be publishing a brand new novella by Douglas Clegg called Dinner With the Cannibal Sisters as a signed Limited Edition hardcover and we’re sending the book to the printer this week for a July publication date! Read more here:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/clegg13

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/clegg13large.jpg

Brian

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 10:11 AM
I didnt answer because Randall Flagg did mention it already. And again. But just to be sure :
add many items in your shopping bag (eg : 1,000), and continue the purchase. It will tell that you cant order that many because there are X copies left (in their system). As Brian as mentionned, it may not be 100% accurate as it MAY not include copies sold through partners such as CD.

It is not at all accurate. PS Publishing have put a banner up on their website stating that they have less than 50 copies left of Carrie for sale.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 10:15 AM

So PS sold about 300 whereas CD sold 675 of their artist signed edition even at a higher price. Interesting.

Not that interesting. Your Maths are way out... :yawn:

webstar1000
04-15-2014, 10:16 AM

how so?

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 10:20 AM

how so?

I'll give you a hint... have a look at post #8292. :tongue1:

herbertwest
04-15-2014, 10:25 AM

It is not at all accurate. PS Publishing have put a banner up on their website stating that they have less than 50 copies left of Carrie for sale.

Glad to hear that! Good for them!

Kingfan24
04-15-2014, 10:26 AM
We get it you love ps publishing.

Btw CD still sold out their edition faster, even being priced about 1.25 times higher.

Brian James Freeman
04-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Btw CD still sold out their edition faster, even being priced about 1.25 times higher.

T-Dogz_AK47 is a big supporter of CD, too, so I think he just loves both CD and PS Publishing. It's okay, we we're not the jealous type! :huglove:

Brian

Robert Fulman
04-15-2014, 10:32 AM
I don't really get the obsession over whether CD or PS are selling more copies of Carrie. I primarily collect books published by Donald M. Grant, so I want to point out that DMG still hasn't sold out of the first printing of "Bowl of Baal" from 1975. You can buy it through Amazon here (http://www.amazon.com/Bowl-Baal-Robert-Ames-Bennet/dp/0937986062/). I wonder what the oldest book is that CD has for sale, and I wonder if there are any books that they have removed from their site simply for the sake of keeping up appearances.

webstar1000
04-15-2014, 10:35 AM

how so?

I'll give you a hint... have a look at post #8292. :tongue1:
I heard that but it was in reference to the other day when there was 687 left...

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 10:37 AM

Wow! That kind of comment really does belong in the playground... what are you 12?

Either you are still in junior school or you seriously need to grow up! :rolleyes:

mistercrowley
04-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Aren't you the same guy who believes any opinion not positive in nature is tarnishing a publishers reputation? Because that isn't exactly mature

Brian James Freeman
04-15-2014, 10:40 AM
I wonder what the oldest book is that CD has for sale, and I wonder if there are any books that they have removed from their site simply for the sake of keeping up appearances.

I think it might be the trade hardcover of Sides by Peter Straub from 2007:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/straub01

Although that is a trade edition and the general idea of trade editions is to keep them around and selling for years. ;)

For signed Limited Editions, I think the oldest in-stock title might be Torn, which was published in 2012:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/thomas01

We've never removed the product page for a book we've published. They're all there, which drives our webstore consultant NUTS because it means a large percentage of product pages have items that cannot be bought. But we leave the pages live for future reference for collectors.

We have removed books that we announced that never panned out -- for example, the author never wrote the book. We're now much more careful about what we announce and when we announce it so that kind of disappointment doesn't happen.

There is one anthology right now that has been removed while it is retooled and prepared to be re-announced/re-launched under a new title.

We always remove the books from Other Publishers that we sell after they've sold out because otherwise that section would have 745 products that aren't available for purchase.

I think I covered everything, but let me know if I missed something!

Brian

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 10:41 AM

T-Dogz_AK47 is a big supporter of CD, too, so I think he just loves both CD and PS Publishing. It's okay, we we're not the jealous type! :huglove:

Brian

That's right Brian, I love CD and PS books in equal measure... :huglove: :grouphug:

mae
04-15-2014, 10:43 AM
For Night Shift it would be wonderful if CD could add uncollected stories from the period, since it's a slim volume as it is. That would include stuff like "The Blue Air Compressor", "Weeds", "The Night of the Tiger", "Man with a Belly", "The Crate" (even though it was published a year after Night Shift), and various poems, and maybe even earlier stuff like "The Glass Floor".

Not gonna happen though :cry:

biomieg
04-15-2014, 10:43 AM

Yes, and we get that you all of a sudden despise PS Publishing, CD fanboy. Come on... act like an adult for once.

"Btw CD still sold out their edition faster, even being priced about 1.25 times higher"

What point are you trying to make (and yes, that is a rhetorical question)?

I know you probably feel that I should keep my mouth shut because I don't even collect S/Ls but posts like these rub me the wrong way.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 10:45 AM
Aren't you the same guy who believes any opinion not positive in nature is tarnishing a publishers reputation? Because that isn't exactly mature

Writing sweeping statements about PS Publishing like "The glued bindings are weak. The boards are flimsy. The paper on a Carnivale of horrors is virtually see through" when their books are not, is unnecessary bashing. As I have several books myself from PS Pubishing, including A Carnivale of Horrors, I can categorically state that your comments are false.

As for maturity.... all I have to say is POT, KETTLE AND BLACK!!! :nana:

webstar1000
04-15-2014, 10:46 AM
For Night Shift it would be wonderful if CD could add uncollected stories from the period, since it's a slim volume as it is. That would include stuff like "The Blue Air Compressor", "Weeds", "The Night of the Tiger", "Man with a Belly", "The Crate" (even though it was published a year after Night Shift), and various poems, and maybe even earlier stuff like "The Glass Floor".

Be super cool:) Great idea... Brian make it happen? haha

Robert Fulman
04-15-2014, 10:50 AM

Not gonna happen though :cry:That was my entry in Brian's unofficial contest over in the CD forum. If that actually happens, I will demand my prize with much foot stomping.

Brian James Freeman
04-15-2014, 10:51 AM

It's been talked about. Steve didn't include them in his "official" collections for his own reasons, but who knows what the future might bring. He did, after all, agree to reprinting "Weeds," "The Crate," and "The Glass Floor" in various CD books and magazines after years of saying 'no thanks' to other publications.

The Glass Floor:
http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/_cd067

The Crate:
http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar15

Weeds:
http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar16

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-15-2014, 10:52 AM

Not gonna happen though :cry:That was my entry in Brian's unofficial contest over in the CD forum. If that actually happens, I will demand my prize with much foot stomping.

HA! I will make sure you get your prize if it does. ;)

Brian

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 10:53 AM

Yes, and we get that you all of a sudden despise PS Publishing, CD fanboy. Come on... act like an adult for once.

"Btw CD still sold out their edition faster, even being priced about 1.25 times higher"

What point are you trying to make (and yes, that is a rhetorical question)?

I know you probably feel that I should keep my mouth shut because I don't even collect S/Ls but posts like these rub me the wrong way.

Agreed. If I inform his junior school of his behavior he will get a detention for sure... :P

Even better I might have to speak to his mom, he will get grounded LOL!!! :rofl: :lol:

mae
04-15-2014, 10:54 AM

It's been talked about.

That's awesome. These stragglers probably won't see space between official King hard covers anytime soon so this would definitely be the next best thing. Would make sure to pick up my copy!

Tommy
04-15-2014, 10:55 AM

It's been talked about. Steve didn't include them in his "official" collections for his own reasons, but who knows what the future might bring. He did, after all, agree to reprinting "Weeds," "The Crate," and "The Glass Floor" in various CD books and magazines after years of saying 'no thanks' to other publications.

The Glass Floor:

The Crate:

Weeds:

Brian

You have The Magic Touch Brian!

mistercrowley
04-15-2014, 10:57 AM

Writing sweeping statements about PS Publishing like "The glued bindings are weak. The boards are flimsy. The paper on a Carnivale of horrors is virtually see through" when their books are not, is unnecessary bashing. As I have several books myself from PS Pubishing, including A Carnivale of Horrors, I can categorically state that your comments are false.

My man you have some serious issues. You asked me to give you some examples of things that I did not like about PS and I gave them to you at your request. You stated in your previous posts that you were new to collecting. I gave an opinion based on the books I have by PS Publishing (more then 5 of which 4 have issues with flimsy boards and weak glued bindings. A Carnivale of Horrors paper was EXTREMELY thin. The signature pages were stuck together with glue and had to be pried apart. I sold my copy with flaws just to recoup some of the money I wasted) and apparently that bothers you because your a stockholder in ps publishing and they are the best publisher ever! What you don't seem to account for is that when other peoples thoughts and opinions don't mirror your own doesn't mean that they are the enemy and are out to take down your favorite publisher. I suggest you lighten up.

Brian James Freeman
04-15-2014, 11:03 AM
That's awesome. These stragglers probably won't see space between official King hard covers anytime soon so this would definitely be the next best thing. Would make sure to pick up my copy!

I would be thrilled if they said yes. It seems appropriate to get all of those into a nice hardcover edition. We'll have to see what happens.

Brian

CyberGhostface
04-15-2014, 11:13 AM

It's been talked about.

Yeah that would definitely give me incentive to pick it up. :)

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 11:27 AM

My man you have some serious issues. You asked me to give you some examples of things that I did not like about PS and I gave them to you at your request. You stated in your previous posts that you were new to collecting. I gave an opinion based on the books I have by PS Publishing (more then 5 of which 4 have issues with flimsy boards and weak glued bindings) and apparently that bothers you because your a stockholder in ps publishing and they are the best publisher ever! What you don't seem to account for is that when other peoples thoughts and opinions don't mirror your own doesn't mean that they are the enemy and are out to take down your favorite publisher. I suggest you lighten up.

First of all this...

Brian

And this...

That's right Brian, I love CD and PS books in equal measure... :huglove: :grouphug:

Secondly, if PS Publishing books ARE THAT BAD, why have you gone back to purchase more? Personally, if I believed a publisher to be as bad as you have posted, I wouldn't have a bought a second book, let alone more than five.

I have noticed that many people post malicious comments on this forum just for kicks. Is that it? You just need to vent some frustration by ganging up on someone or something. I have noticed the pack mentality on this forum, it's like watching kids in a playground. This week's flavour for a bashing is PS Publishing, last week it was Glenn Chadboune, the week before it was Sub Press.

Just to add how moronic this pack mentality can be, consider this gem from last night...

Originally posted by Ben Mears
There were 25 Roman numeraled copies of 'Salem's Lot of which 15 were available for purchase vs 26 for Carrie. And Carrie most likely won't compare in terms of craftsmanship and quality.

I can't say as I don't own any PS books.

Priceless... Post a disparaging remark about the quality of PS Publishing's craftsmanship and then admit that he doesn't even own any of their books.

To summarise, I don't need to lighten up. It is you and the other members on this site that bash publishers and artists for cheap thrills that need to get a life...

mistercrowley
04-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Wow you really are out of control. Your not doing any of the people and publishers you defend any favors. I purchased more then one book because I wanted to read the stories contained within and which were not available in the US. In fact the chances are I will buy more in the future because I like some of the books they publish. Hopefully they won't have the same flaws. We shall see. Your like rabid cheerleader. Everyone sees it but you.

Ben Mears
04-15-2014, 11:36 AM

The Glass Floor:

The Crate:

Weeds:

Brian

Having allowed these stories to be published previous CD anthologies will hopefully increase the odds of SK giving permission for them to be included as bonus material in Night Shift.
I'm on record as saying I would prefer one artist for cover and interiors of each book the CD Doubleday series to maintain continuity. However for Night Shift I think it would interesting to utilize multiple artists as each story lends itself to an independent interpretation. It could be a mix of paintings and drawings to keep costs manageable as the illustration count will likely be higher than the other books.

Robert Fulman
04-15-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm going to keep on enjoying this thread until the other RF gets home from surfing (that's what people do in California, right?) and tells us to get back on topic.

mistercrowley
04-15-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm going to keep on enjoying this thread until the other RF gets home from surfing (that's what people do in California, right?) and tells us to get back on topic.

Stop disparaging and bashing Californians you bastard

bdwyer19
04-15-2014, 11:43 AM

+1 :)

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 11:51 AM
You know what, I have noticed the extremely negative and hateful remarks about CD that feature on the first 200 posts of this very thread. I think it speaks volumes that since Brian from CD made his presence be known here, these malicious and hateful comments disappeared almost overnight. This smacks of the kind of spineless behaviour most commonly displayed by school bullies.

Well I used to burst school bullies like a balloon. :emot-flame:

Kingfan24
04-15-2014, 11:59 AM
You know what, I have noticed the extremely negative and hateful remarks about CD that feature on the first 200 posts of this very thread. I think it speaks volumes that since Brian from CD made his presence be known here, these malicious and hateful comments disappeared almost overnight. This smacks of the kind of spineless behaviour most commonly displayed by school bullies.

Well I used to burst school bullies like a balloon. :emot-flame:

Brian's presence was only part of the solution. Once they got the ship corrected was when the negativity died down. I would say they did a nice job correcting a lot of the bad things that happened early on.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Today's topic is on the subject of social grace and decorum.

I do not like the way people on this forum behave like a pack of animals, all wading in en masse and attacking a particular person or publisher as the fancy takes them - be it CD, PS, Sub Press or Glenn Chadbourne to name just a few of the hateful threads I have come across.

I suggest this very simple solution. If someone does not have something constructive or pleasant to post....

THEN IT SHOULD NOT BE POSTED!!!! :emot-flame:

Ben Mears
04-15-2014, 12:15 PM
[

Just to add how moronic this pack mentality can be, consider this gem from last night...

There were 25 Roman numeraled copies of 'Salem's Lot of which 15 were available for purchase vs 26 for Carrie. And Carrie most likely won't compare in terms of craftsmanship and quality.

Priceless... Post a disparaging remark about the quality of PS Publishing's craftsmanship and then admit that he doesn't even own any of their books.

It always helps to give context to quotes when they are used to make a point (or not). Help me out here and show me where any of my comments (in italics) disparage PS Publishing. I simply offered an opinion and was careful not to disparage. You on the other hand have directly insinuated that I am a moron. Interesting standards.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

It will certainly outshine the Roman-numeraled edition of Salem's Lot

How? There were 25 Roman numeraled copies of 'Salem's Lot of which 15 were available for purchase vs 26 for Carrie. And Carrie most likely won't compare in terms of craftsmanship and quality.

How can we know that the craftsmanship and quality of PS Lettered Carrie will not be on par with previous editions? Has PS has quality issues in the past? If so I would like to know.

I can't; that's why I said likely. However the roman numeral version of 'Salem's Lot sets the bar very high indeed.

I am wondering more if PS has lower quality books compared to other publisher's. Less concerned with how it compares to the roman Salem's Lot specifically. Have they ever done a great job on a different Lettered edition?

I can't say as I don't own any PS books. Comments on this board about the quality of their Christine and Pet Sematary gift editions would lead one to believe that they aren't of the caliber of Cemetery Dance gift editions. I would hope but not assume that the Carrie lettered edition will be of better quality.

Brian James Freeman
04-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Brian's presence was only part of the solution. Once they got the ship corrected was when the negativity died down. I would say they did a nice job correcting a lot of the bad things that happened early on.

I was just talking to another publisher about how the tone here has changed. Half the posters in this thread still seem to hate everything we do and think we do everything wrong, but most are much nicer about how they say it. ;)

Brian

P.S. This was a bad joke meant to get a laugh and I almost deleted it, but I figure it'll be the only thing left in this thread soon and it'll leave future message board scholars wondering what exactly happened here... ;)

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 12:24 PM
It always helps to give context to quotes when they are used to make a point (or not). Help me out here and show me where any of my comments disparage PS Publishing. I simply offered an opinion and was careful not to disparage. You on the other hand have directly insinuated that I am a moron. Interesting standards.

This is not being careful...

Carrie most likely won't compare in terms of craftsmanship and quality.

You posted a disparaging remark based on other people's views without having any real thoughts of your own and without having any knowledge about PS Publishing's craftsmanship or production values.

Thus...

In this context alone, I don't need to insinuate that you are a moron, you are doing a good job of that yourself.

Frankie
04-15-2014, 12:25 PM

I do not like the way people on this forum behave like a pack of animals, all wading in en masse and attacking a particular person or publisher as the fancy takes them - be it CD, PS, Sub Press or Glenn Chadbourne to name just a few of the hateful threads I have come across.

I suggest this very simple solution. If someone does not have something constructive or pleasant to post....

People are always going to have opinions. They're not always going to be the same as yours. They're not always going to be positive. That doesn't mean they should feel obligated to not share them.

mistercrowley
04-15-2014, 12:30 PM
It always helps to give context to quotes when they are used to make a point (or not). Help me out here and show me where any of my comments disparage PS Publishing. I simply offered an opinion and was careful not to disparage. You on the other hand have directly insinuated that I am a moron. Interesting standards.

This is not being careful...

Carrie most likely won't compare in terms of craftsmanship and quality.

You posted a disparaging remark based on other people's views without having any real thoughts of your own and without having any knowledge about PS Publishing's craftsmanship or production values.

Thus...

In this context alone, I don't need to insinuate that you are a moron, you are doing a good job of that yourself.

The more you talk about others the more you reveal of yourself. Keep going bud. Your doing a fine job

jhanic
04-15-2014, 12:30 PM
I also am disturbed by the recent tone of many of the postings in this forum. Civility has seemed to have disappeared for a lot of people. All I ask is that you take a few deep breaths before posting something that is so negative. If you still feel it needs to be posted, so be it, but think about your tone.

John

Ben Mears
04-15-2014, 12:33 PM

Still waiting for you to explain what was disparaging about any of my observations. Following your logic your comment that the lettered edition of Carrie "...will certainly outshine the Roman-numeraled edition of 'Salem's Lot" should be interpreted as disparaging toward Centipede Press. You haven't seen it yet but your are certain it will be better. To use your analogy: kettle, black etc.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 12:36 PM
I also am disturbed by the recent tone of many of the postings in this forum. Civility has seemed to have disappeared for a lot of people. All I ask is that you take a few deep breaths before posting something that is so negative. If you still feel it needs to be posted, so be it, but think about your tone.

John

Nicely put, John. :rock:

stroppygoblin
04-15-2014, 12:45 PM

John

Nicely put, John. :rock:

I wonder who John's remark was aimed at?
T-Dogz, you are a fairly recent member to the forum and regardless of the current 'debate' around PS and CD, you are wielding a very wide brush with some of your accusations. Comments like this:

I do not like the way people on this forum behave like a pack of animals, all wading in en masse and attacking a particular person or publisher as the fancy takes them...

Will not endear you to the majority of folks here. I have read through all the recent posts and other than respond to your own remarks, the majority of responses have been considered and restrained. Yours have not.

I like a good bun fight as much as the next forum member, but this has just become futile and annoying. There is an extremely interesting thread mixed in with the mindless crap and I for one would prefer to focus on that.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Still waiting for you to explain what was disparaging about any of my observations. Following your logic your comment that the lettered edition of Carrie "...will certainly outshine the Roman-numeraled edition of 'Salem's Lot" should be interpreted as disparaging toward Centipede Press. You haven't seen it yet but your are certain it will be better. To use your analogy: kettle, black etc.

As I already posted it will outshine the Roman-numeraled edition of Salem's Lot and the Coffin Box edition of The Stand in terms of rarity and collector value. Both Salem's Lot and The Stand also had several hundred S/L copies released in addition to the lettered editions. If signed, Carrie will be the only deluxe edition to be signed. So compared to the hundreds of copies of Salem's Lot and The Stand that were also released with a King signature, Carrie will be limited to only 26 signed copies of the lettered edition.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 12:56 PM
T-Dogz, you are a fairly recent member to the forum and regardless of the current 'debate' around PS and CD, you are wielding a very wide brush with some of your accusations. Comments like this:

I do not like the way people on this forum behave like a pack of animals, all wading in en masse and attacking a particular person or publisher as the fancy takes them...

Will not endear you to the majority of folks here. I have read through all the recent posts and other than respond to your own remarks, the majority of responses have been considered and restrained. Yours have not.

I like a good bun fight as much as the next forum member, but this has just become futile and annoying. There is an extremely interesting thread mixed in with the mindless crap and I for one would prefer to focus on that.

John was aiming his comments towards the haters that post malicious content all over the forum, not comments specific to this thread so much.

I am not commenting about responses aimed towards me, I am commenting about the culture that prevails this entire forum where people attack either PS Publishing, Cemetery Dance, Sub Press or Glenn Chadbourne.

I have had a gutful of the petty and childish remarks aimed at belittling the reputation of publishers and artists on this forum. I will wade into ANYONE who makes hateful and deeply inflammatory remarks about a person's art (Glenn Chadbourne) or the quality and production values of a publisher's books (CD, PS or Sub Press). I do not give two shits if this will endear me to people on this forum or not, as a clear majority are the ones posting such malicious comments in the first place. :emot-flame:

stroppygoblin
04-15-2014, 01:00 PM
<Sigh>
Then fight the good fight my friend... The race is long and in the end it is only with ourselves...

Ben Mears
04-15-2014, 01:01 PM

As I already posted it will outshine the Roman-numeraled edition of Salem's Lot and the Coffin Box edition of The Stand in terms of rarity and collector value. Both Salem's Lot and The Stand also had several hundred S/L copies released in addition to the lettered editions. If signed, Carrie will be the only deluxe edition to be signed. So compared to the hundreds of copies of Salem's Lot and The Stand that were also released with a King signature, Carrie will be limited to only 26 signed copies of the lettered edition.

Makes sense from that perspective.

MandaBunny
04-15-2014, 01:12 PM

John was aiming his comments towards the haters that post malicious content all over the forum, not comments specific to this thread so much.

I am not commenting about responses aimed towards me, I am commenting about the culture that prevails this entire forum where people attack either PS Publishing, Cemetery Dance, Sub Press and Glenn Chadbourne.

I have had a gutful of the petty and childish remarks aimed at belittling the reputation of publishers and artists on this forum. I will wade into ANYONE who makes hateful and deeply inflammatory remarks about a person's art (Glenn Chadbourne) or the quality and production values of a publisher's books (CD, PS or Sub Press). I do not give two shits if this will endear me to people on this forum or not, as a clear majority are the ones posting such malicious comments in the first place. :emot-flame:

I'm new too so don't take this the wrong way. I think that people are entitled to their opinion, especially about art and what they like and don't like about their books. It's like saying you must like a particular kind of food even though it makes you puke. As an example, I don't like most, I repeat most, of Mr Chadbourne's art with a few exceptions that I've seen. His style doesn't appeal to me but I also recognize that he has talent that appeals to other people. I'm sure there are artists that I like but others do not. Does that bother me? Absolutely not and I'm glad people are able to express their opinions here. You don't have to torch them for it. I think you've made your point.

Ben Staad
04-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Maybe we should get back on topic...

The Library Policeman
04-15-2014, 01:20 PM
I bought Christine, Pet semetary and have Carrie on order from PS. I own almost every King S/L and Gift Edition Cemetery Dance has produced. I prefer the quality, design and overall production of CD's books to PS's. I also prefer steak to hamburgers although I still enjoy a good hamburger. What exactly is the problem saying one is better than the other?

jonp

T-Dogz

I agreed that a PS Carrie Lettered edition IF signed has the potential to be a very desirable book and admit I am interested in a copy. If I am lucky enough! It will be very rare - just look at how Joyland lettered edition is now valued at $2500-3000 and the only difference to the signed numbered edition was a traycase. I am not sure how Pete is going to make this book special over the normal edition.

I personally do not have any production issues with PS, as I have hundreds of their books being a subscriber. I must admit that some of signed editions do lack the WOW-factor of few other publishers. However, this is going to be their first oversized lettered edition to be produced, so we do not know what the production quality will be like until it is released.
Jon

Randall Flagg

Brian
I think there can be a win-win. Enjoy both/all versions.

Dan
04-15-2014, 01:22 PM
I wonder what the oldest book is that CD has for sale, and I wonder if there are any books that they have removed from their site simply for the sake of keeping up appearances.

I think it might be the trade hardcover of Sides by Peter Straub from 2007:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/straub01

Although that is a trade edition and the general idea of trade editions is to keep them around and selling for years. ;)

For signed Limited Editions, I think the oldest in-stock title might be Torn, which was published in 2012:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/thomas01

We've never removed the product page for a book we've published. They're all there, which drives our webstore consultant NUTS because it means a large percentage of product pages have items that cannot be bought. But we leave the pages live for future reference for collectors.

We have removed books that we announced that never panned out -- for example, the author never wrote the book. We're now much more careful about what we announce and when we announce it so that kind of disappointment doesn't happen.

There is one anthology right now that has been removed while it is retooled and prepared to be re-announced/re-launched under a new title.

We always remove the books from Other Publishers that we sell after they've sold out because otherwise that section would have 745 products that aren't available for purchase.

I think I covered everything, but let me know if I missed something!

Brian

I like the fact that you keep out of print material listed. I have looked back many, many times at older books to check original pricing and limitation.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm new too so don't take this the wrong way. I think that people are entitled to their opinion, especially about art and what they like and don't like about their books. It's like saying you must like a particular kind of food even though it makes you puke. As an example, I don't like most, I repeat most, of Mr Chadbourne's art with a few exceptions that I've seen. His style doesn't appeal to me but I also recognize that he has talent that appeals to other people. I'm sure there are artists that I like but others do not. Does that bother me? Absolutely not and I'm glad people are able to express their opinions here. You don't have to torch them for it. I think you've made your point.

Constructive criticism is fine, but the kind of hateful comment that I object to and a recent one regarding Glenn Chadbourne that I read on this very thread is this...

Originally posted by skyofcrack
I don't want shitty art on books that I spend hundreds of dollars on and will retain for the rest of my years. I want to ENJOY the art. For the most part I have decided to not purchase SK books with Chadbourne art which sucks because I still want the book as I'm a completist. It's a catch-22.

Describing Glenn Chadbourne's art as "shitty" is not constructive. I would imagine it is also quite hurtful if you are Glenn Chadbourne, especially considering how much support I have read that he gives to the Haven Fund on this forum.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 01:26 PM
I bought Christine, Pet semetary and have Carrie on order from PS. I own almost every King S/L and Gift Edition Cemetery Dance has produced. I prefer the quality, design and overall production of CD's books to PS's. I also prefer steak to hamburgers although I still enjoy a good hamburger. What exactly is the problem saying one is better than the other?

It's the fashion in which comments are made, too many of which are just downright rude!

Brian James Freeman
04-15-2014, 01:28 PM
I like the fact that you keep out of print material listed. I have looked back many, many times at older books to check original pricing and limitation.

For the next revamp of the site, I might look into a different "way" to store and display the information instead of just having deactivated product pages, but I figure this works for now and I do think it's important to make it available for reference. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to list something from another small press for sale and not been able to find the most basic information I need to provide in the listing.

Brian

Randall Flagg
04-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Jesus Christ. I'm usually here 10 hours a day, and I go to see a movie and enjoy a pint of ale and return to see endless back and forth debating that is mostly off topic for the Cemetery Dance thread.
Back on topic please.
Any more off topic posts will result in either a warning, the post being moved to a dead file, or both.

The Library Policeman
04-15-2014, 01:29 PM

For the next revamp of the site, I might look into a different "way" to store and display the information instead of just having deactivated product pages, but I figure this works for now and I do think it's important to make it available for reference. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to list something from another small press for sale and not been able to find the most basic information I need to provide in the listing.

Brian

The Philtrum Press books are nicer than yours!!! :P

JK.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Brian
I think there can be a win-win. Enjoy both/all versions.

There will definitely be a win-win scenario. Both CD and PS make outstanding books and I am proud to own some of these amazing editions that they have both released. Indeed, I love both CD and PS in equal measure. :huglove:

Randall Flagg
04-15-2014, 01:35 PM
I was just talking to another publisher about how the tone here has changed. Half the posters in this thread still seem to hate everything we do and think we do everything wrong, but most are much nicer about how they say it. ;)

Brian

P.S. This was a bad joke meant to get a laugh and I almost deleted it, but I figure it'll be the only thing left in this thread soon and it'll leave future message board scholars wondering what exactly happened here... ;)
Mega rep points. I laughed. I also gave you 100 positive rep points.

Jud Crandall
04-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Err, so ... any updates on Gone Girl, Brian?

Lookwhoitis
04-15-2014, 01:56 PM

That is one of the features I like most about you guys' website. I can go directly to the product page and see the publishing info on each edition (including MSRP). Really helps for wise buying on the secondary market.

Lookwhoitis
04-15-2014, 02:04 PM

I feel like this Forum is NOT as you describe. Thankfully this forum is a pretty tight knit community and free of most flame wars, trolling, and other hijinks common to the internet.

Unfortunately, YOU seem somewhat motivated to stir the pot a little too zealously.

Do you work for PS Publishing or something? If not then they might be keen to know that your personal contribution to these threads might be doing them more harm than good.

My 2c

Lookwhoitis
04-15-2014, 02:10 PM

I am not commenting about responses aimed towards me, I am commenting about the culture that prevails this entire forum where people attack either PS Publishing, Cemetery Dance, Sub Press or Glenn Chadbourne.

I sense you will be smacked with the ban bat soon...

Randall Flagg
04-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Back on topic please. I am closing this thread for a couple of hours so that people catching up don't quote or remark about a post prior to my request to return to topic.

Randall Flagg
04-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Thread reopened, and I did add a kick in the balls emoticon, but please use it sparingly...
:Ball Kick:

ICry4Oy
04-15-2014, 06:02 PM
I've had enough https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7343/11473916524_7b2199983b_o.gif

Brian, I also like and appreciate that you leave the sold out books online.

Jimimck
04-15-2014, 06:05 PM
Yeah the OOP info for CD's books is great. When I'm looking at buying one on the secondary market it's great to have that information readily available.

Merlin1958
04-15-2014, 06:09 PM
What did I miss??? LOL

Aronstg
04-15-2014, 06:19 PM
I also love that you keep your oop stuff on the website. I've spent a lot of time just looking at past books and editions. Let's me know what's out there!

Brian James Freeman
04-15-2014, 06:35 PM

Brian

Mega rep points. I laughed. I also gave you 100 positive rep points.

Awesome! I am now headed to the TheDarkTower.org store to cash those in for something cool. Fake novelty mustache? Oversized plastic comb? Firestarter S/L? It's kind of a tough decision. (Okay, this is the point where I might need to admit I don't actually know how rep points work. ;) )

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Err, so ... any updates on Gone Girl, Brian?

Actually, yes! We're in the process of translating the trade publisher's files to work with our design program, and we should have signature sheets ready for the author next month. When she signs those sheets will be entirely decided by her schedule, but we'll have the book proofread and ready for the printer by the time those sheets come back to our office. I'll post a note on the Production Updates page when those sheets are sent her way and when they return. Thanks for asking!

Brian

mae
04-15-2014, 09:37 PM

It's been talked about.

To get back on topic, I wonder what is the likelihood of this happening.

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 05:01 AM

It's been talked about.

Very hard to say. We won't know for a while, but I'll have my fingers crossed!

Brian

Ben Mears
04-16-2014, 05:24 AM

It's been talked about.

Very hard to say. We won't know for a while, but I'll have my fingers crossed!

Brian

Brian,

Will you be using multiple artists for Night Shift? The continuity of a single artist for each novel makes sense but a mix for the collection could be interesting.

skyofcrack
04-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Will you be using multiple artists for Night Shift? The continuity of a single artist for each novel makes sense but a mix for the collection could be interesting.

Asked and answered:

Brian,

Not sure if you've thought this far ahead yet but...will Night Shift have one Artist or multiple Artists and will each story get some art (pencil drawings, etc...) as well as the selected stories that get the full color art?

Hoping for Wrightson, Dameron and Whelan from DT.

We're talking about one artist for the color artwork and another for a B&W piece for each story.

Brian

Ben Mears
04-16-2014, 05:43 AM

Asked and answered:

Brian,

Not sure if you've thought this far ahead yet but...will Night Shift have one Artist or multiple Artists and will each story get some art (pencil drawings, etc...) as well as the selected stories that get the full color art?

Hoping for Wrightson, Dameron and Whelan from DT.

We're talking about one artist for the color artwork and another for a B&W piece for each story.

Brian

Thanks.

The Library Policeman
04-16-2014, 06:47 AM
Brian, if I order my Artist Edition of Carrie from PS - will I be able to match my number with them for the other 5 titles?

Thanks!

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Brian, if I order my Artist Edition of Carrie from PS - will I be able to match my number with them for the other 5 titles?

Thanks!

Yep, they'll be getting matching numbers!

Brian

The Library Policeman
04-16-2014, 07:25 AM

Thanks!

Yep, they'll be getting matching numbers!

Brian

Great! Thanks Brian :)

webstar1000
04-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Brian, I have a couple of questions... too everyone that bought the first 750 Artist Editions... will they all be contacted first to get their book with matching number? Will the Artist Edition only be a print run of 750 for each novel? Would it be safe to say most were bought by individual customers or book dealers?? The reason I ask the last question is, I think there is a LARGE value to have a matching complete set. I think, depending on what you do with Salems / Stand (being fan favorites and LARGE shoes to fill from last S/L's) you may see an increased demand for the Artist Edition. Do you think the majority of books will be same number buyers??? Meaning over the course of the next few books do you see a VERY large portion of the 750 going to match sets so there will not be many out there for sale? Thanks Brian

Joe315
04-16-2014, 07:51 AM
Brian, I have a couple of questions... too everyone that bought the first 750 Artist Editions... will they all be contacted first to get their book with matching number? Will the Artist Edition only be a print run of 750 for each novel? Would it be safe to say most were bought by individual customers or book dealers?? The reason I ask the last question is, I think there is a LARGE value to have a matching complete set. I think, depending on what you do with Salems / Stand (being fan favorites and LARGE shoes to fill from last S/L's) you may see an increased demand for the Artist Edition. Do you think the majority of books will be same number buyers??? Meaning over the course of the next few books do you see a VERY large portion of the 750 going to match sets so there will not be many out there for sale? Thanks Brian

He mentioned (don't remember where) that people who bought the previous release will get advance notice for the next one.

webstar1000
04-16-2014, 07:51 AM

He mentioned (don't remember where) that people who bought the previous release will get advance notice for the next one.

I know that... and thanks for pointing that out... I meant do book dealers get their matching numbers too.... so ALL 750 people. I was trying to gage the amount of same sets vs loose numbers:)

Joe315
04-16-2014, 08:00 AM
I see... I believe that they do get matching numbers if they request them.

I think there will be matching sets but I don't think there will be many for sale all together. If someone puts together a set I think they will keep it. As stated by some here, they will only be getting one or two of the releases for various reasons.

What the value will be, remains to be seen. I think there will be some premium to the sets but they will be easier to put together than say the Dark Tower set because of the release schedule and because everyone knows what books and how many, will be released.

skyofcrack
04-16-2014, 08:05 AM
I see... I believe that they do get matching numbers if they request them.

When 'Salem's Lot is announced, those who ordered Carrie will have first right of refusal of the matching number and so on for each successive book.

jhanic
04-16-2014, 08:10 AM

Thanks!

You have to remember that PS will be issuing a different book than CD, and that if you have matching PS numbers you may not be able to get the same matching CD numbers.

John

stroppygoblin
04-16-2014, 08:13 AM

Thanks!

You have to remember that PS will be issuing a different book than CD, and that if you have matching PS numbers you may not be able to get the same matching CD numbers.

John

I have a confirmed number with PS. I also now have a confirmed number with CD. I just made sure they were the same number! (14)

thegreattim
04-16-2014, 08:16 AM

Thanks!

John

I have a confirmed number with PS. I also now have a confirmed number with CD. I just made sure they were the same number! (14)

I too have been able to match my PS and CD numbers. Same with SubPress for that matter. Most pubs will go out of their way to help you if they can. Nikki from PS even sent my number for Pet Sematary to SubPress for their lot of stateside distribution when the book went OOP quicker than I expected on the PS website.

Everyone who I've worked with, publisher-wise, has given phenomenal customer service.

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 08:17 AM
What the value will be, remains to be seen. I think there will be some premium to the sets but they will be easier to put together than say the Dark Tower set because of the release schedule and because everyone knows what books and how many, will be released.

I would say there will probably never be a "new" set in book collecting like The Dark Tower series simply because of when the series started, how small the first print run was for the first book, how "limited" the availability of information was in the pre-Internet days, etc.

Brian

jhanic
04-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Great!

John

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 08:19 AM

I know that... and thanks for pointing that out... I meant do book dealers get their matching numbers too.... so ALL 750 people. I was trying to gage the amount of same sets vs loose numbers:)

Dealers will be getting matching numbers if they request them. Not all do ask for matching numbers, actually. We've never asked why, but we've noticed it in the past.

I think most of the collectors who ordered the AE or the Lettered Edition through us are in it for the long haul with this set, but that's just a guess.

Brian

The Library Policeman
04-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Just ordered my Artist Edition of Carrie from PS. I'll have #1 to match the other five releases please thanks Brian :evil:

Joe315
04-16-2014, 08:27 AM

I would say there will probably never be a "new" set in book collecting like The Dark Tower series simply because of when the series started, how small the first print run was for the first book, how "limited" the availability of information was in the pre-Internet days, etc.

Brian

Yep. That is a very hard set to compile.

stroppygoblin
04-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Just ordered my Artist Edition of Carrie from PS. I'll have #1 to match the other five releases please thanks Brian :evil:

Good luck with THAT! I believe many of the 'low' numbers are already taken by what CD call 'LifeTimers' I was lucky with #14, I would expect #1 to be taken

webstar1000
04-16-2014, 08:38 AM

Dealers will be getting matching numbers if they request them. Not all do ask for matching numbers, actually. We've never asked why, but we've noticed it in the past.

I think most of the collectors who ordered the AE or the Lettered Edition through us are in it for the long haul with this set, but that's just a guess.

Brian

Thanks Brian! You will not go over the 750 will you for any book?

webstar1000
04-16-2014, 08:38 AM

lol

The Library Policeman
04-16-2014, 08:40 AM

Good luck with THAT! I believe many of the 'low' numbers are already taken by what CD call 'LifeTimers' I was lucky with #14, I would expect #1 to be taken

Yeah I was kidding............................ Kinda ;)

stroppygoblin
04-16-2014, 08:42 AM

I believe somebody here scored #1 from PS in the current Anniversary series. I think maybe KingFan24, but I may be wrong on that.

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 08:48 AM
Thanks Brian! You will not go over the 750 will you for any book?

Nope, 750 is the max for the books in this set. We'd hate the idea of having copies of one book with a higher print run that could never, ever be part of a matching set.

Brian

The Library Policeman
04-16-2014, 08:57 AM
I never bothered matching my numbers for the PS anniversary editions but it will be cool to have these 6 matched :)

The Library Policeman
04-16-2014, 08:58 AM
And I saved roughly $30 if you take into consideration US shipping I think. Money's money, right? :D

subie09lega
04-16-2014, 09:06 AM

I believe somebody here scored #1 from PS in the current Anniversary series. I think maybe KingFan24, but I may be wrong on that.

T-Dogz_AK47 has #1 of Christine and Pet Sematary.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-16-2014, 09:57 AM

Yeah its me that has #1. No wait! its letter I

JK

Kingfan24
04-16-2014, 11:11 AM
This will be interesting to see the reactions of those that ordered the artist edition of Carrie from cd

WeDealInLead
04-16-2014, 11:24 AM
This will be interesting to see the reactions of those that ordered the artist edition of Carrie from cd

Why?

MandaBunny
04-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Perhaps because of this:

We’ve heard from a lot of collectors asking if Glenn Chadbourne will be illustrating a book in this set, but Glenn is actually contributing in a different way: he’s providing the B&W artwork for the Gift Edition Limitation Page and the two color paintings for the Artist Edition Signature Sheets for EVERY book in this set!

You can see now the artwork he’s provided for Carrie on the product page on the ARTWORK tab:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/king09

We think having Glenn contribute the artwork for the limitation sheets in each book be a nice way to connect every book in the set together and Glenn is delivering some of his most chilling Stephen King artwork to date.
Thank you, as always, for your continuing support!

Cemetery Dance Publications

webstar1000
04-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Perhaps because of this:

We’ve heard from a lot of collectors asking if Glenn Chadbourne will be illustrating a book in this set, but Glenn is actually contributing in a different way: he’s providing the B&W artwork for the Gift Edition Limitation Page and the two color paintings for the Artist Edition Signature Sheets for EVERY book in this set!

You can see now the artwork he’s provided for Carrie on the product page on the ARTWORK tab:

We think having Glenn contribute the artwork for the limitation sheets in each book be a nice way to connect every book in the set together and Glenn is delivering some of his most chilling Stephen King artwork to date.

I like what he did for the pages. Like it alot!

Kingfan24
04-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Perhaps because of this:

I like what he did for the pages. Like it alot!

I agree

ESW
04-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Beautiful work by Glenn Chadbourne on these signature sheets!

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 11:54 AM
We know that some collectors are not fans of Glenn's artwork and will not be thrilled by this plan, but we also know that many of the collectors we hear from are fans of his work. To us, this seems like a nice, small touch to connect the books as a set and it grew out of a practical problem we needed to solve.

One of the artists can only supply a limited amount of artwork for his own personal reasons (he is basically coming out of retirement for this project, he said) and he balked at having artwork reused for the signature sheets. That would have meant using a different artist just for those signature sheets. So this felt like a nice solution to that problem because it meant all of the books will have a dedicated signature sheet artist while that one artist who can only provide a limited amount of artwork wouldn't be singled out in some way.

For those who are excited, thank you! We certainly share your excitement. For those who aren't as thrilled, hopefully you'll be pleased with some of the other special touches we haven't announced yet that will help connect the books as a set and provide a nice reminder of the historical nature of these books.

Brian

MandaBunny
04-16-2014, 11:54 AM
This is just an observation, not a criticism.
Seems to me like the piece for the lettered edition should be used in the PS lettered edition because the style perfectly matches the artwork posted on the PS website. I'm not complaining about it, I didn't order the lettered and I'm fine with the other two.

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 12:01 PM
This is just an observation, not a criticism.
Seems to me like the piece for the lettered edition should be used in the PS lettered edition because the style perfectly matches the artwork posted on the PS website. I'm not complaining about it, I didn't order the lettered and I'm fine with the other two.

It'll definitely be very interesting to see what Pete has in store for his Lettered Edition! I can say that this piece of artwork works really well for our Lettered Edition, but that's because there are still design elements and production plans coming together that haven't been posted yet. So I'm kind of cheating a little because I can see more of the final product than we can post. But thank you for the feedback! It's always welcome.

Brian

The Library Policeman
04-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Yeah those are really, really nice. :D

thegreattim
04-16-2014, 12:09 PM
We know that some collectors are not fans of Glenn's artwork and will not be thrilled by this plan, but we also know that many of the collectors we hear from are fans of his work. To us, this seems like a nice, small touch to connect the books as a set and it grew out of a practical problem we needed to solve.

One of the artists can only supply a limited amount of artwork for his own personal reasons (he is basically coming out of retirement for this project, he said) and he balked at having artwork reused for the signature sheets. That would have meant using a different artist just for those signature sheets. So this felt like a nice solution to that problem because it meant all of the books will have a dedicated signature sheet artist while that one artist who can only provide a limited amount of artwork wouldn't be singled out in some way.

For those who are excited, thank you! We certainly share your excitement. For those who aren't as thrilled, hopefully you'll be pleased with some of the other special touches we haven't announced yet that will help connect the books as a set and provide a nice reminder of the historical nature of these books.

Brian

I fall into the camp of those that while appreciating Glenn's art for what it is, I'm reluctant to see it on another King collectible edition. Brian, I think this plan of having him tie together the series as a whole through the limitation pages is perfect! It provides a nice continuity, yet allows other authors to shine. Well done, guys.

It also makes me particularly happy and reinforces my confidence in my purchase of the numbered edition. I do so much more appreciate his color art!

EXPLORER
04-16-2014, 12:13 PM

Brian

I'm guessing (dangerous to do here) that some of the people who have expressed concerns as to Glenn being involved may not have a problem with this decision and particularly these pieces of art. Good thinking coming up with an option which may be accepted widely. I can understand your thought process and hope it works for you..

Ben Mears
04-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Brian

The art looks fantastic, especially the gift and artist editions.
BTW, what is the target release date for the gift edition?

Ben Staad
04-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Seeing the work from Glenn makes me change my mind a bit.

webstar1000
04-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Yeah that's nice artwork for sure Brian! Stellar job and great idea!!!!!

skyofcrack
04-16-2014, 12:39 PM

Brian

I perhaps was one of Glenn's harshest critics of late and looking at these signature sheets I can say, for the most part, I like what I see. What is clear to me in these three images is I like his color work much more than the B&W and I really don't like how he draws people. Inanimate objects are his friend.

I'm curious now whom you coaxed out of retirement. I was thinking maybe one of the old E.C. Comics artists but most if not all of them have passed on. Maybe Jack Davis?

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 12:42 PM
BTW, what is the target release date for the gift edition?

There is one last thing that must be finished before I can set a firm publication date, but our goal is for the Gift Edition and Limited Edition to ship together in September at the latest. I have to wait for the signature sheets, which are at the printer now, to arrive back here, then be shipped to Tomislav in Croatia, and then arrive back here safely again. We have had a lot of mailing problems to that part of the world, and sometimes even Express Mail International takes three weeks to show up, so... I'll have my fingers crossed here for a while!

Brian

The Library Policeman
04-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Brian, sorry to bug you again but should I email the nice folks at PS Publishing about matching my numbers for all six books after I receive Carrie from them, or will they offer me the same number when each subsequent book is sent to them by you guys? It's just that I've never did the whole "matching numbers" thing before.

Thanks again!

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Brian, sorry to bug you again but should I email the nice folks at PS Publishing about matching my numbers for all six books after I receive Carrie from them, or will they offer me the same number when each subsequent book is sent to them by you guys? It's just that I've never did the whole "matching numbers" thing before. Thanks again!

I actually don't recall if Pete just automatically keeps track of each customer's number and matches them automatically for sets, so let me ask him to find out for sure and then I can post the definitive correct answer!

Brian

The Library Policeman
04-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Brian, sorry to bug you again but should I email the nice folks at PS Publishing about matching my numbers for all six books after I receive Carrie from them, or will they offer me the same number when each subsequent book is sent to them by you guys? It's just that I've never did the whole "matching numbers" thing before. Thanks again!

I actually don't recall if Pete just automatically keeps track of each customer's number and matches them automatically for sets, so let me ask him to find out for sure and then I can post the definitive correct answer!

Brian

That's great, Brian. Thank you!

Merlin1958
04-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Perhaps because of this:

Wow!!! That is some of Glens' best work yet!! I may have to reconsider this!!!

T-Dogz_AK47
04-16-2014, 01:48 PM

Not just for Christine and Pet Sematary. :cool:

In addition to having reserved #1 for the PS editions, I have also managed to reserve #1 for the CD Artist Editions. :rock:

Having that number means that I am definitely in it for the long haul with both the CD and PS editions. :thumbsup:

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 01:53 PM
In addition to having reserved #1 for the PS editions, I have also managed to reserve #1 for the CD Artist Editions. :rock:

Fun fact: #1 was a lifetimer from 1994 until last year, and you were the first person to ask if the number was available for this set. I think everyone else gave up asking years ago, so your timing was perfect!

Brian

T-Dogz_AK47
04-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Fun fact: #1 was a lifetimer from 1994 until last year, and you were the first person to ask if the number was available for this set. I think everyone else gave up asking years ago, so your timing was perfect!

Brian

That is just TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! :rock: :biggrin:

T-Dogz_AK47
04-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Also loving the fact that Glenn Chadbourne is doing artwork for both the PS and CD editions of Carrie... :thumbsup:

I have always said that Glenn's artwork is stunning and those pictures for the signature pages on CD's gift/artist/lettered editions just reinforces my belief even more!!! Fantastic artwork!!! :rock:

Nice one, Brian!!!

Aronstg
04-16-2014, 02:10 PM
So question here. How important is the number in a limited set? I assume that some numbers have a personal collection but does the number add to the value of the edition? I assume that #1 is highly coveted but does #2 hold more value than #500 and so on?

Merlin1958
04-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Also loving the fact that Glenn Chadbourne is doing artwork for both the PS and CD editions of Carrie... :thumbsup:

I have always said that Glenn's artwork is stunning and those pictures for the signature pages on CD's gift/artist/lettered editions just reinforces my belief even more!!! Fantastic artwork!!! :rock:

Nice one, Brian!!!

Yeah, Glen is just an amazing guy and a HUGE supporter of the Haven Fund. I am so glad that he is busy and putting oil in that tank!!! He is just one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and I feel privileged to be able to call him my "Virtual Friend"!!! Not to mention that those drawings are simply awesome!!!

T-Dogz_AK47
04-16-2014, 02:17 PM
So question here. How important is the number in a limited set? I assume that some numbers have a personal collection but does the number add to the value of the edition? I assume that #1 is highly coveted but does #2 hold more value than #500 and so on?

That was a question that was raised over at the CD forum a few years back. Several people responded by saying that the actual value of the book is the same regardless of the number, but lower numbers are more desirable, so people may be willing to pay a premium for them.

In some circumstances though, a higher number will be more desirable to a collector than a lower number. A very good example of this would be The Shining, where #217 is the absolute premium number to reserve.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Yeah, Glen is just an amazing guy and a HUGE supporter of the Haven Fund. I am so glad that he is busy and putting oil in that tank!!! He is just one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and I feel privileged to be able to call him my "Virtual Friend"!!! Not to mention that those drawings are simply awesome!!!

I totally agree. He is truly a great guy and a great artist!

That's why I get really pissed when someone says something nasty about him on this forum...

Merlin1958
04-16-2014, 02:22 PM
FWIW I have some experience with numbered litho art and the first and last numbers are always valued a little higher than the others, so to speak. For instance, I have a S/N piece of a picture done by, Roger Dean in which I requested number 20 of 20. The last insurance valuation I received for it was 5% above the average price associated with the piece. However, that is "art" and a little different than books, but you can draw your own conclusions.

Aronstg
04-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Okay.. so first and last number might be valued higher and if the number has significance to the book. Well good thing I have number #217 for the Carrie Artist Edition ;)

Merlin1958
04-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Okay.. so first and last number might be valued higher and if the number has significance to the book. Well good thing I have number #217 for the Carrie Artist Edition ;)

Believe me it's all very subjective. 217 for "Carrie" is not what it is for "The Shining". By the same token number "19" for TDT series is more highly regarded than perhaps another number. And then there are folks that feel, for personal reasons, that a particular number is more desirable than another, be it for "matching purposes" or otherwise.

I find it to be easier to just be happy with any number I get!! LOL

Aronstg
04-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Yeah.. I figured it was subjective. I'm a number like 42 might have sentimental value to you :) Or numbers 2-5 and 9. LOL I'm glad I got 217, it will be very nice once the Shining is released.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-16-2014, 02:49 PM

Believe me it's all very subjective. 217 for "Carrie" is not what it is for "The Shining". By the same token number "19" for TDT series is more highly regarded than perhaps another number. And then there are folks that feel, for personal reasons, that a particular number is more desirable than another, be it for "matching purposes" or otherwise.

Yeah but Aronstg is thinking ahead when he reserved #217 for Carrie. He needs that number now in order to guarantee it will be matched for when he buys The Shining. It's good forward thinking. :thumbsup:

Merlin1958
04-16-2014, 02:51 PM

Yeah but Aronstg is thinking ahead when he reserved #217 for Carrie. He needs that number now in order to guarantee it will be matched for when he buys The Shining. It's good forward thinking. :thumbsup:

Ahhh very true!!

Joe315
04-16-2014, 02:56 PM
I like the Chadbourne decision as well. I think the sig sheets for Carrie look great!

Nice work guys.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-16-2014, 03:00 PM
I think my favourite signature page image is the one on the Artist Edition, which is great because that's the one I am getting... :cool2:

All three look stunning though!!! :thumbsup:

The Library Policeman
04-16-2014, 03:07 PM

Not just for Christine and Pet Sematary. :cool:

Having that number means that I am definitely in it for the long haul with both the CD and PS editions. :thumbsup:

Very cool. Congrats :)

T-Dogz_AK47
04-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Very cool. Congrats :)

Thanks! :)

webstar1000
04-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Yeah.. I figured it was subjective. I'm a number like 42 might have sentimental value to you :) Or numbers 2-5 and 9. LOL I'm glad I got 217, it will be very nice once the Shining is released.

I'm shocked you got that number... There are guys on here that have bought for many years from them who will be after that number for a certain book;) I feel there is no extra value to a #1 or the last but rather that they match or as Bill pointed out... They are important to the book... Like #217 to Shining or #19 to the Dark Tower... Matching numbers is where te extra value lies...

ELazansky
04-16-2014, 03:35 PM

With the exception of a number like 217 for the Shining, I just don't get the whole low number thing. If I am not mistaken, at least where CD is concerned, the books come back from the printer without numbers. Then the number is added in before it is shipped out. So the fact that the first book picked out of the stack is marked #1 doesn't make it any more special than the book marked #357. It is still just a numbered book, same as the others. I guess it is a matter of personal preference to want a low number, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it.

webstar1000
04-16-2014, 03:37 PM

With the exception of a number like 217 for the Shining, I just don't get the whole low number thing. If I am not mistaken, at least where CD is concerned, the books come back from the printer without numbers. Then the number is added in before it is shipped out. So the fact that the first book picked out of the stack is marked #1 doesn't make it any more special than the book marked #357. It is still just a numbered book, same as the others. I guess it is a matter of personal preference to want a low number, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it.

100% agree with you.

Aronstg
04-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Thank you everyone for clearing this up. Just like most things in collecting, it comes down to personal preference. :) Learning a lot here!

skyofcrack
04-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Wanting a specific number = OCD. :rolleyes3:

Joe315
04-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Thank you everyone for clearing this up. Just like most things in collecting, it comes down to personal preference. :) Learning a lot here!

That pretty much sums it up.

Another time a number might be important is when trying to get a matching set of books in a series but each publication had different print runs. An example being the Dark Tower series. If your goal is to collect a matching set, you need to have a number #500 or lower, as that is the lowest print run of a book in that series.

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 04:21 PM
An example being the Dark Tower series. If your goal is to collect a matching set, you need to have a number #500 or lower, as that is the lowest print run of a book in that series.

A GREAT example. We just received in an almost complete Dark Tower Limited Edition set from a long-time collector whose number was 526 or 527 for all of the books. She didn't have The Gunslinger, but obviously she never could have had a matching set even with The Gunslinger since she would have needed a number of 500 or less.

Brian

WeDealInLead
04-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Brian,

This is the voice in your head speaking, "An omnibus edition of all artwork from this set in one massive, oversized book is a great idea...

"And send that WDiL guy an advance copy...he's cool."

skyofcrack
04-16-2014, 04:31 PM
If I knew what I know now back in 1983-84 when I found The Gunslinger 1st (for $100) I would've looked all over the place for the signed limited so I would've been locked in for the long haul. :wtf:

Joe315
04-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Brian,

This is the voice in your head speaking, "An omnibus edition of all artwork from this set in one massive, oversized book is a great idea...

"And send that Joe315 an advance copy...he's cool."

Fixed and that is an awesome idea.

Bev Vincent
04-16-2014, 05:04 PM
An example being the Dark Tower series. If your goal is to collect a matching set, you need to have a number #500 or lower, as that is the lowest print run of a book in that series.

A GREAT example. We just received in an almost complete Dark Tower Limited Edition set from a long-time collector whose number was 526 or 527 for all of the books. She didn't have The Gunslinger, but obviously she never could have had a matching set even with The Gunslinger since she would have needed a number of 500 or less.

Brian

You could get #26 and pen in a 5. Problem sorted!

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 06:07 PM

Brian

You could get #26 and pen in a 5. Problem sorted!

ha! :dance:

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Brian,

"And send that WDiL guy an advance copy...he's cool."

:biggrin:

Brian

Scoogs
04-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Brian,
Any updates on World War Z or The Zombie Survival Guide?

Brian James Freeman
04-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Brian,
Any updates on World War Z or The Zombie Survival Guide?

Files for both books are all ready to send to the printer. Max is working on the WWZ signature sheets, but as soon as they return, the books will be printed together.

Brian

Scoogs
04-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks

webstar1000
04-17-2014, 03:18 AM
I envision one large art portfolio when all the editions are done... matching our numbers... signed by all artists... and King. Now there is something ya can sink yer teeth into:):):)!!!!!!!!!!

The Library Policeman
04-17-2014, 03:38 AM
I envision one large art portfolio when all the editions are done... matching our numbers... signed by all artists... and King. Now there is something ya can sink yer teeth into:):):)!!!!!!!!!!

That would be fantastic! :)

Brian James Freeman
04-17-2014, 04:46 AM
By the way, speaking of signature sheets, I thought you might get a kick out of this:

We've had two authors in the last six months lose signature sheets somewhere in their house, never to be found, so we had to reprint and reship them. And I have one author who is in Toronto right now who left his signature sheets somewhere in his "man cave" in LA that none of his managers or assistants have access to... so getting signature sheets back can sometimes be the biggest hold up on a project!

Best,
Brian

webstar1000
04-17-2014, 04:59 AM

That would be fantastic! :)

What a way to tie it all in eh? We get our "coveted" King signature and it would be the most lavish of all the books... CD could charge much more for it and make it the best set since the DT sets!!!! So... Brian.... you gotta start planning buddy:)

webstar1000
04-17-2014, 05:10 AM
Hear about Carrie? That Glenn is going to remarque some? I am not in just cause he is not doing the other artwork.... It is only $149 though...

Kingfan24
04-17-2014, 05:26 AM
I wish they would stop these. As much as I love Glenn, his work really is starting to over saturate everything....

Just so everyone knows I'm not bashing and or diminishing or otherwise negatively speaking of GC. I have multiple remarques by him.

MandaBunny
04-17-2014, 05:33 AM
I think this is a good idea - it allows people who want their Glenn to get it and it spares the rest of us who really don't want anymore Glenn. It's a win/win - he gets income and can support himself and a market need is filled. I can live with the signature sheet, I'm just glad his work won't be throughout and wrapped around the books. That's my opinion and I'm glad others get what they want.

webstar1000
04-17-2014, 05:59 AM
I think this is a good idea - it allows people who want their Glenn to get it and it spares the rest of us who really don't want anymore Glenn. It's a win/win - he gets income and can support himself and a market need is filled. I can live with the signature sheet, I'm just glad his work won't be throughout and wrapped around the books. That's my opinion and I'm glad others get what they want.

I love his colored work. I think it is really good. I think the sig sheets are REALLY well done but I would not have him do a remarque when the covers and insides were done by someone else....

Lookwhoitis
04-17-2014, 06:02 AM
By the way, speaking of signature sheets, I thought you might get a kick out of this:

We've had two authors in the last six months lose signature sheets somewhere in their house, never to be found, so we had to reprint and reship them. And I have one author who is in Toronto right now who left his signature sheets somewhere in his "man cave" in LA that none of his managers or assistants have access to... so getting signature sheets back can sometimes be the biggest hold up on a project!

Best,
Brian

LOL, sounds like my house!

LostAlivE
04-17-2014, 09:52 AM
The only problem I have with Glen's work is the B&W ones. They pretty much look the same in style. It's about like if you have seen one of his B&W ones you pretty much have seen them all.
Now his colored work is all together different and I really do like his color prints.
When I first started collecting I thought they took the first book printed and that was #1 and so forth. But I found out that the 1st book printed could very well be the last book numbered and the last book printed could be the one one that is numbered #1. So really the only time the numbers come into play is when there is a set like these. I have already requested my number and it is because I have other SK books with that number.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-17-2014, 01:59 PM
As soon as I heard that Glenn Chadbourne was doing remarques for CD's The Doubleday Years set of books, I jumped on the offer full throttle!! :excited: :excited:

Glenn Chadbourne remarques are THE BEST!! :rock:

Roseannebarr
04-18-2014, 10:32 AM
As soon as I heard that Glenn Chadbourne was doing remarques for CD's The Doubleday Years set of books, I jumped on the offer full throttle!! :excited: :excited:

Glenn Chadbourne remarques are THE BEST!! :rock:

I think this has been asked before... are you Glenn Chadbourne or related to Glenn?? Just curious. Thanks! Glen

T-Dogz_AK47
04-18-2014, 11:34 AM
I think this has been asked before... are you Glenn Chadbourne or related to Glenn?? Just curious. Thanks! Glen

Erm... That's the first time I have been asked if I am Glenn Chadbourne or even related to him. :confused:

The answer to both questions is.... No I am not. :nope:

Strange that you should ask such a question though... as if in order to champion his artwork (which is superb) I must be either Glenn himself or related to him... :rolleyes3:

Brian James Freeman
04-18-2014, 11:38 AM

Ha! I can verify, having seen orders from T-Dogz_AK47 in our store, that he doesn't even live in the correct part of the world, so I bet his Maine accent is just atrocious. ;)

Brian

MandaBunny
04-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Is there a Chadbourne thread where people can post their favorite remarques and other artwork? I haven't seen one but I may have missed it while perusing.

bdwyer19
04-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Is there a Chadbourne thread where people can post their favorite remarques and other artwork? I haven't seen one but I may have missed it while perusing.

There is a Remarkable Remarques thread. You might also want to create a Collections page, and put your remarques in there.

MandaBunny
04-18-2014, 11:58 AM
I personally don't have any Chadbourne favorites as I'm not a fan. I'm one of those that cringes. It just seemed logical there would be a dedicated repository since his work is such a major component of many members' collections here. Maybe T-Dogz_AK47, or anyone, could start the thread with some of their personally commissioned remarques. Consolidate and display some of his best works so everyone can see his range.

Kingfan24
04-18-2014, 11:58 AM
For anyone getting a Remarque, which edition are you getting it in?

Kingfan24
04-18-2014, 11:59 AM
I personally don't have any Chadbourne favorites as I'm not a fan. I'm one of those that cringes. It just seemed logical there would be a dedicated repository since his work is such a major component of many members' collections here. Maybe T-Dogz_AK47, or anyone, could start the thread with some of their personally commissioned remarques. Consolidate and display some of his best works so everyone can see his range.

Also check out skcollector.com - he has a forum full of them

T-Dogz_AK47
04-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Ha! I can verify, having seen orders from T-Dogz_AK47 in our store, that he doesn't even live in the correct part of the world, so I bet his Maine accent is just atrocious. ;)

Brian

LOL!! It's pretty bad. I can do quite a good suave English accent though... :rofl: :lol: :P

T-Dogz_AK47
04-18-2014, 12:20 PM
There is a Remarkable Remarques thread. You might also want to create a Collections page, and put your remarques in there.

For some reason it won't allow me to upload any images. When I press the insert image tab, it asks me to enter a URL address and does not give me the option to upload an image from my own library... :confused:

Kingfan24
04-18-2014, 12:22 PM

For some reason it won't allow me to upload any images. When I press the insert image tab, it asks me to enter a URL address and does not give me the option to upload an image from my own library... :confused:

Because the image needs to be hosted somewhere on the net. I can't view a file from, say your desktop, unless you send me the actual file or host it on a site like photobucket.

T-Dogz_AK47
04-18-2014, 12:53 PM
It still doesn't work... I just tried uploading a remarque to Photobucket, copied and pasted the URL into the image tab but it did not upload. I just got a small x box where the image should be. So I deleted my post. :mad:

T-Dogz_AK47
04-18-2014, 01:08 PM
OK, I think I got it working! :thumbsup:

I have several remarques created by Glenn Chadbourne, but I will post just one here for now...

This remarque was created in my S/L edition of The Secretary of Dreams Volume 1:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/SODVol1GlennChadbourneInscribedRemarque_zpsc6d3061 4.jpg

Br!an
04-18-2014, 02:28 PM

You can upload images from your computer in the Gallery. http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery You can then link them to the thread. Or you can link from somewhere else.

Merlin1958
04-18-2014, 03:26 PM

Bad penny, probably has the most extensive collection of Glens' work in his collection thread.

Merlin1958
04-18-2014, 03:28 PM

I have several remarques created by Glenn Chadbourne, but I will post just one here for now...

This remarque was created in my S/L edition of The Secretary of Dreams Volume 1:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a622/T-Dogz_AK47/SODVol1GlennChadbourneInscribedRemarque_zpsc6d3061 4.jpg

Oh, very nice, Mr. T-Dog!!! Awesome remarque, I have Glen Remarques in each of my SOD's as well.

Br!an
04-19-2014, 04:17 AM
Bad penny, probably has the most extensive collection of Glens' work in his collection thread.

"Probably"??? I'd say more like definitely.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?15112-Book-Collection-Bad-Penny

Roseannebarr
04-19-2014, 05:43 AM

Erm... That's the first time I have been asked if I am Glenn Chadbourne or even related to him. :confused:

Strange that you should ask such a question though... as if in order to champion his artwork (which is superb) I must be either Glenn himself or related to him... :rolleyes3:

No harm or foul intended. You had numerous posts about his work.and you stated how much you like his work and you defend him pretty much when people disparage or criticize. It was just a curiosity question. I probably should of asked by pm. Instead. You really like his stuff!

I have limited funds and prefer to use it on missing s/l of kings work that I still need. And I am not related to king. Even though I asked my wife to try and date joe hill and leave me for a while so she could a few of my books signed!

Br!an
04-19-2014, 05:48 AM
Even though I asked my wife to try and date joe hill and leave me for a while so she could a few of my books signed!

Most people probably think you're kidding. :D

Sir_Boomme
04-19-2014, 03:09 PM

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?15112-Book-Collection-Bad-Penny

what amazes me.... isn't Bad Penny's collection of Glen Remarq. - It's the fact that Glenn has anytime to do any books for Cemetery Dance or anyone else with all the books he does for Bad Penny. I mean... just keeping up with Penny requests must be a full time job.

Merlin1958
04-19-2014, 03:11 PM

what amazes me.... isn't Bad Penny's collection of Glen Remarq. - It's the fact that Glenn has anytime to do any books for Cemetery Dance or anyone else with all the books he does for Bad Penny. I mean... just keeping up with Penny requests must be a full time job.

LOL Very true, but then again, Glen is a freaking machine. He can just crank them out and the quality is always there. Also, he is huge fan of King so often his drawings are very intuitive.

Patrick
04-21-2014, 06:34 AM

Oh, very nice, Mr. T-Dog!!! Awesome remarque, I have Glen Remarques in each of my SOD's as well.
I like that one a LOT!

webstar1000
04-21-2014, 06:38 AM
The only problem with Glenn... is there is a lot of Glenn. However, anyone that does not think his work is really good (especially the color which he has mastered) should just look at the post over this. Just me 2 cents:)

thegunslinger41
04-21-2014, 06:46 AM
I agree. Glenn's work is superb. Art is subjective and each artist has his own style. You either like an artist's style or you don't...and if you DO like his style, there may be a point when too much of something can be a bad thing. As the old saying goes "everything in moderation." It is my opinion that it would be better if there was a healthy mix of illustrators involved in King's work. :)

Gabriel

The only problem with Glenn... is there is a lot of Glenn. However, anyone that does not think his work is really good (especially the color which he has mastered) should just look at the post over this. Just me 2 cents:)

mikeC
04-21-2014, 07:10 AM
I would have rather had a SOD3 with a new/unpublished story than all these new re-issues.

Dolso
04-21-2014, 07:15 AM
That's actually one of the many things i like about Glen - you can explain what you want and within 3 to 5 days you have a scan of the piece and a week or so later it shows up in the mail! Not too many artists that can turn it around that quickly...

Bev Vincent
04-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Faster than that, sometimes -- when we were doing the Illustrated Stephen King Trivia Book, I'd send him three or four concepts and he'd have the results turned around in a few hours.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-21-2014, 07:58 AM
When I collaborated with Glenn on my story "Marvin's Retirement" we chatted about the character "Lilja" just for a few minutes. It was like Glenn could see right into my imagination. Two days later "Lilja" was a reality on paper.

A fantastic gift Glenn has.

Ralph Mulleins

MandaBunny
04-21-2014, 08:29 AM
Warning: opinionated comments follow......

....anyone that does not think his work is really good (especially the color which he has mastered) should just look at the post over this....

I guess appreciation of mastery of color is as subjective as it is with any art. Some see it, some don't.

......You either like an artist's style or you don't...and if you DO like his style, there may be a point when too much of something can be a bad thing. As the old saying goes "everything in moderation." It is my opinion that it would be better if there was a healthy mix of illustrators involved in King's work. :)
Gabriel

Well stated. I love Reese's but I also don't eat them so much that I get sick of them.

I really haven't seen many remarques that I'd want in my books, I typically wouldn't pay more to get one but if one showed up in a book I wouldn't return it. Of the ones I've seen, I think that Whelan's and Lee's are my personal favorites. I might even pay for one of those if the price wasn't too outrageous (another subjective item).

I did see this one by Chadbourne which TwistedNadine posted in the RRs thread that I thought was probably the best work I've seen from him. Maybe it's the anatomy which I think is usually one of his weakest points but here it's well rendered. :)

Couple more:
Bag of Bones (love this one):
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Bag_of_Bones1.jpg

It's easy, we all have our opinions and standards.
A handful of his paintings are decent enough, but the pen and ink stuff looks like over-detailed high school level art. That's why I ended up selling my S/L copy of The Dark Man (emphasis added).

At risk of being raked over the coals by saying anything that may be construed as negative and not dripping with praise, here goes. I'll say that I completely agree with Scoogs, most of it - b/w and color - takes me back to my high school art class and the pieces that students submitted to have included in the yearbook.

Faster than that, sometimes -- when we were doing the Illustrated Stephen King Trivia Book, I'd send him three or four concepts and he'd have the results turned around in a few hours.

When I read that he can crank out these things within hours of a request, it all kind of makes more sense to me. This is probably great for the publisher, it's just not what I would expect on/in an expensive volume. He does have a talent to convey his thoughts quickly but to me it shows in the results.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory with these comments, I'm just trying to convey my point of view when looking at different artists and their work. As has been stated, it's all subjective and there are things that cannot be explained away or into existence with something like art. Like someone said earlier, some people feel King isn't a good writer and you can't make someone change their minds (until you remind them about Shawshank and Stand By Me). There are my two cents which are only with $0.00 in some people's opinion.

Brian James Freeman
04-21-2014, 08:34 AM
takes me back to my high school art class and the pieces that students submitted to have included in the yearbook.

I'm actually kind of impressed that you and your classmates were doing this level of detail in high school! Could you post some of your artwork you've done to compare?

Brian

P.S. And I don't mean that as snark or anything. As others here will attest, we're always looking for new artists to work with and if you feel you or your former classmates are better artists than the ones we work with, post some samples and let's see what we can do.

Shannon
04-21-2014, 08:57 AM
"We're always looking for new artists to work with ..."

*ahem* rachelreadman ;)

Brian James Freeman
04-21-2014, 09:03 AM
"We're always looking for new artists to work with ..."

*ahem* rachelreadman ;)

A good example of someone from this message board who sent us some excellent artwork samples for consideration!

Brian

MandaBunny
04-21-2014, 09:07 AM
It certainly wasn't my scribbles that got into the yearbook, I am artistically declined but I can still appreciate art - art that I find appealing that others may not. I was just trying to explain my position, I'm not trying to sway opinion to my "side" because that would be a frivolous effort. If there's only one group of people on here stating how much they love something with no counterbalance then it's a one-sided opinion of what is used very often. Obviously, there are people on both sides of any discussion but when people are made to feel like they can't express their opinion because they are attacked by more vocal people it throws undue weight to one side and what is considered by many as a 'fan favorite' may not apply as much as it's perceived because some aren't willing to put their thoughts out there because they're afraid of recriminating comments, or just aren't around to say anything in such a public form. I'm not trying to provoke you by stating my opinion and supporting others with similar views. I've noticed you're very patient with all of us and based on the tone of your comment I've touched a nerve and I'm sorry you didn't like my post. Obviously, Glenn is one of your favorite artists or you wouldn't use his work so much in your productions. That's fine but with a market this small, using the same artist frequently only makes the saturation happen that much more quickly. Especially when multiple publishers are using the same artists.
I think that Scoogs' "over-detailed" description was the part with which I most agree. Glenn uses a lot of lines in some of his pieces, particularly some of the b/w pieces and it's just way too busy and distracting for me. This amount of detail was not found in the high-school level art. Sometimes subtlety is better than too much detail - this is my opinion. There is a lot of detail in the Bag of Bones remarque but the details blend well, at least from the shot that TW posted.
The first two pieces on this page of The Collector's site are just two examples where there's too much going on for me, obviously not for others who like his work.

http://skcollector.com/galleries/darkman.html

Brian James Freeman
04-21-2014, 09:16 AM
It certainly wasn't my scribbles that got into the yearbook

That's too bad. I thought we had another artist here on the board! Well, definitely consider sending any of the talented artists you know our way. We're always looking!

Best,
Brian

subie09lega
04-21-2014, 09:21 AM
I hope that forum member harrison ryan submitted some pieces to you, he seems to have some talent to be shared.

Brian James Freeman
04-21-2014, 09:24 AM
I'm sorry you didn't like my post.

Nope, it's about a million miles from the harshest thing posted in this thread. In fact, it might be the nicest "I don't like something" post in the history of this thread. We'd have to check the records to know for sure. :)

I was just hoping we had another artist to try. We're always looking. We've featured more than 500 artists in our books and magazines over the years. The number might be higher, it's been a long time since we tried to estimate the count.

I read everything that is posted here and take it all into consideration. Of course, those who post here represent a very small percentage of our customers, so I also have to take that into consideration.

So it's all good. :) I think everyone should post their thoughts. Someone might hit on an idea that proves very helpful or useful for future projects, and I don't care where a good idea comes from if it's helpful.

Brian

Brian James Freeman
04-21-2014, 09:29 AM
By the way, in case it's helpful to the discussion, here's the list of artists who have worked on our Stephen King books over the years:

From a Buick 8 -- Bernie Wrightson
The Secretary of Dreams Volume One -- Glenn Chadbourne
Blockade Billy -- Glen Orbik (cover) and Alex McVey (interiors)
The Secretary of Dreams Volume Two -- Glenn Chadbourne
Full Dark, No Stars -- Tomislav Tikulin (covers); Glenn Chadbourne, Jill Bauman, Alan M. Clark, and Vincent Chong (interiors)
It: The 25th Anniversary Special Edition -- Glen Orbik (covers), Alan M. Clark & Erin S. Wells (interiors)
The Dark Man: An Illustrated Poem -- Glenn Chadbourne
Doctor Sleep -- Vincent Chong (cover and color interiors), Erin S. Wells (B&W interiors), Glenn Chadbourne (endpapers)
Carrie -- Tomislav Tikulin

Brian