PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89

east-tennessee
12-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Brian, sorry to hear of your loss, all my best.
I recieved my FDNS gift today.......very nice take care...

Brian M.

Brian James Freeman
12-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to say thanks again for all of your support. It's very much appreciated. I'm back at the office today and trying to catch-up as fast as I can.

We have a Full Dark, No Stars Limited Edition update to send out today or tomorrow, as soon as the photos are ready, plus we're working on shipping The Exorcist/Legion, The Painted Darkness, and then we can start on The Passage, and after that we can start on Shivers 6.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman
brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com
http://www.CemeteryDance.com

Merlin1958
12-22-2010, 07:01 PM
I just wanted to say again, I have criticized in the past, extensively. However, you guys have really turned it around in 2010!!! Got my SOD II, got my BB edition, Got my RTB edition, and just now rec'd FD/NS and all wonderful productions!!!! Exorcist/Legion is "In the Mail", you guys are killing!!!! Do NOT let the roll subside!!! I am a convert!!! Hail Mindy!!!!!

And all of you have a very Happy Holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!! You deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir_Boomme
12-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to say thanks again for all of your support. It's very much appreciated. I'm back at the office today and trying to catch-up as fast as I can.

We have a Full Dark, No Stars Limited Edition update to send out today or tomorrow, as soon as the photos are ready, plus we're working on shipping The Exorcist/Legion, The Painted Darkness, and then we can start on The Passage, and after that we can start on Shivers 6.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

hey brian,

i'm happy to the you guys are catching up... kudos.

couple of questions though.
1) any info. on when the lifetimers will be getting their copies of FDNS?

I know I got a recent batch shipment, and just got additional shipments for the SOD2 and my lettered and gift RTB's.

are ya'll going to ship this one separately, or wait until a new batch shipment is going to go out?

2) the last update I could find on SODII lettered edition was that the first batch of traycases were going to be there by thanksgiving... any new esimate on when they'll go out?

3) I've not seen any updates on the following... and would love some current statuses:
a) Lettered ed. Centuries Best
b) Lettered ed. Big Book of Necon
c) AE ed. Big Book of Necon

BTW. Merry Christmas to you, your family, Mindy and the gang

Brian James Freeman
12-23-2010, 08:49 AM
hey brian,

i'm happy to the you guys are catching up... kudos.

couple of questions though.
1) any info. on when the lifetimers will be getting their copies of FDNS?

I know I got a recent batch shipment, and just got additional shipments for the SOD2 and my lettered and gift RTB's.

are ya'll going to ship this one separately, or wait until a new batch shipment is going to go out?

2) the last update I could find on SODII lettered edition was that the first batch of traycases were going to be there by thanksgiving... any new esimate on when they'll go out?

3) I've not seen any updates on the following... and would love some current statuses:
a) Lettered ed. Centuries Best
b) Lettered ed. Big Book of Necon
c) AE ed. Big Book of Necon

BTW. Merry Christmas to you, your family, Mindy and the gang

Thanks for asking!

1) Lifetimers will be receiving Full Dark, No Stars separately from the normal lifetimer shipments. I actually think the Gift Edition is already being shipped to the lifers who get it, and then the Limited Edition will be shipped to those lifetimers when it begins shipping to everyone else. So if you get both editions, you will get two separate shipments. We wanted to try to get the book out to everyone as quickly as possible. Then you should have another shipment in late January or early February: Exorcist/Legion, The Passage, The Painted Darkness, Stories from the Plague Years, Shivers VI, the Blood Spattered chapbook, the Tales Too Extreme chapbook, etc. We've been busy, so you have a lot more coming! ;)

2) Mindy is working with the vendor for the SOD II Lettered Edition box/traycase/whatever you'd call it ("massive!" is what I call that thing!), and she's waiting on an update so I can send an update to the customers who are waiting on that edition. The short version is, the vendor missed their Thanksgiving deadline, but we wanted to be able to give you more information than that when we emailed you. For example, when these guys are actually going to get their work done. Unfortunately, this is the same vendor who took forever on SOD I, and the only reason we used them again for SOD II was because we wanted the cases to be similar and we were promised they were going to meet their deadlines this time. I guess maybe we're a little naive. The book is already bound and ready to go as soon as the box is completed. I really would like to be able to send an update soon, but even better, I'd just like to have the finished cases soon. Mindy isn't going to stop bugging them until they get it done.

As an aside, we're using someone else for the Full Dark, No Stars Lettered Edition box. The vendor I found a few years back for my Dark Forces traycases has been a dream to work with, although sometimes they're overly optimistic about their schedules. (We can relate, as our collectors will attest.) But they've done Dark Forces, The Darknell Double, SOD II slipcases and traycases, Riding the Bullet (all three editions), and the Full Dark slipcases and traycases. Their quality can't be beat, they're great to work with, and we're looking forward to doing something really special for the Full Dark Lettered Edition with them. We just need to wait for the Lettered Edition book to be finished at the binder. Right now it's with their gilder, who should be done by the first week of the new year, and then it goes back to the bindery to start the three piece case binding. (We'll be sending out a full update to the Lettered Edition customers as soon as we can!)

3A) The Century's Best Horror Fiction is part of the "second phase" of our catch-up game plan. If I recall correctly, there is one more signature we're waiting on for the Lettered Edition signature sheets and then it's off to the printer to be published in 2011. These are going to be two huge volumes and I think general readers and collectors alike are going to be really pleased with the final result!

3B) The signed editions of The Big Book of Necon are headed to the printer right after the holidays. We can't do dummy books for these because of the number of tip-ins in the edition with the Glenn Chadbourne original drawing, unfortunately, but we'll be pushing to get this done in 2011 as well.

We hit all of our targets in 2010 for "phase one" of our catch-up plan, and I see no reason why we can't complete "phase two" in 2011 as scheduled.

Plus we have a few surprises next year that I think our collectors are really going to be pleased with. Thanks again for all of your support!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

thegreattim
12-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for all the updates, Brian! I hope 2011 is as successful of a year for you.

ELazansky
12-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Brian,

Can you give any more info about Cemetery Dance: A Fifteen Year Celebration than what is on the website?

Brian James Freeman
12-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Brian,

Can you give any more info about Cemetery Dance: A Fifteen Year Celebration than what is on the website?

Sure! That project is part of our plans for "phase two" in 2011, but we've been steadily working on it all year.

There's an obvious title change coming next month, as you might have guessed. I would say 75% of the material has been received. The other 25% is very late, but it is coming from authors we *really* want to be in this book -- and we think our collectors would really want them in there as well. Unfortunately, authors like that are also very busy and sometimes commit to projects they don't have time to work on for a while. We try not to be pushy, but anyone who hasn't sent something in soon will probably be asked if they'd rather we just use a reprint. We would love originals, of course, but we really want to make huge progress on this one in 2011!

A "formal" update should be posted when we announce the title change next month, but this is the gist of it! :)

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

ELazansky
12-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks Brian. I have a 50% off coupon and I can't figure out what to preorder...hate to waste it. The Century's Best Fiction looks like a massive set of books. What to do, what to do...

Brian James Freeman
12-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks Brian. I have a 50% off coupon and I can't figure out what to preorder...hate to waste it. The Century's Best Fiction looks like a massive set of books. What to do, what to do...

Well, Century's Best definitely has a little something for everyone if you like short stories. The two volumes rang in at a combined 1,600 pages and more than 700,000 words! :)

Best,
Brian

Jimimck
12-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi Brian,
Probably wishful thinking, but is there a waiting list for The Passage?

I'm one of the idiots who thought about it too long before deciding to buy :doh:

Cheers & Merry Christmas
James

Brian James Freeman
12-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Hi Brian,
Probably wishful thinking, but is there a waiting list for The Passage?

I'm one of the idiots who thought about it too long before deciding to buy :doh:

Cheers & Merry Christmas
James

There was a Waiting List, but we took it down after 400 or so people signed up. I can't remember the exact number, but it seemed silly to keep adding after that point. :) Sorry you missed out, but I bet you'll find some people selling the Limited Edition in January because they didn't like the story as much as they had hoped, etc, and then maybe you could snag one of their copies and get matching numbers for the rest of the trilogy if you wanted!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Jimimck
12-23-2010, 03:46 PM
As I expected, thanks anyway.

I'll be hunting out Ebay auctions instead of working no doubt!

Cheers

Randall Flagg
12-23-2010, 06:03 PM
I would consider selling mine. I don't think I'll be in the Cronin market in the future. The more I think about the story, the less it impresses me.

thegreattim
12-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I agree. I thought it was a great story... up until the massive, ur... shift in perspective. After that, it lost steam quickly and I had a hard time caring enough to finish the book.

carlosdetweiller
12-24-2010, 05:10 AM
Yeah, I agree. I thought it was a great story... up until the massive, ur... shift in perspective. After that, it lost steam quickly and I had a hard time caring enough to finish the book.

I liked it a little better than that. It kept my interest enough for me to finish it and I'm sure I will read the next book he has planned. But do I think the book justified all the hype? No.

Room 217 Caretaker
12-24-2010, 06:20 AM
I finished the book with an open mind knowing it's part of a trilogy:

"The Passage"
"The Twelve" (2012)
"The City of Mirrors" (2014)

The name of the other two are just scuttle butt conversation so don't take my word on the titles or dates. When I know The Twelve will be released I'll read The Passage again to refresh my little brain.

I enjoyed the book, and many of my family and friends did as well. It's been one of our most talked about books being passed around.

JMO

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

biomieg
12-24-2010, 07:58 AM
I liked THE PASSAGE a lot, too. For sure, I haven't thought about it much once my girlfriend and I both finished it but I'm looking forward to the next books. I'm only buying the trades though.

turtlex
12-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Brian - I just wanted to stay thank you, so very much, for putting in the time to come over here and address us collectors directly. Thanks for answering the questions and giving us the insights into what's happening on your end of the spectrum. The attention is appreciated by this humble collector, and I say thankee.

Ben Mears
12-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Brian - I just wanted to stay thank you, so very much, for putting in the time to come over here and address us collectors directly. Thanks for answering the questions and giving us the insights into what's happening on your end of the spectrum. The attention is appreciated by this humble collector, and I say thankee.

Ditto. Customer relations go a long way and since Brian has joined the board DarkTower.org members and CD have both benefitted from the clarity of the open communication.

frik
12-24-2010, 10:41 AM
I wholeheartedly agree! I've been buying form CD for years, have always been a satisfied customer, but 2010 especially has been an extremely satisfying year.
THANKS, Brian, and THANKS Mindy - here's to 2011!

sk

Randall Flagg
12-24-2010, 02:07 PM
I think 2010 will be looked back upon as the year of the CD comeback.

jhanic
12-24-2010, 02:21 PM
I heartily agree!

John

swintek
12-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Brian,

Hope you had a good holiday, and I'd like to echo the comments of folks here in saying thanks for all the forthright CD updates. It is MUCH appreciated. I've been hoping for CD to rally for so long and I'm delighted that the ball is finally rolling extremely well.

Having said that, I received The Exorcist/Legion the other day- an edition I've been really looking forward to for some time- and while very impressed with the overall design and size I was extremely disappointed that it wasn't bound in the promised "Full Cloth", but, rather plain stamped boards (it's also, incidentally, lacking the bound in ribbon bookmark). The cover material, especially in a book sans dust jacket, makes all the difference. Although there is much to recommend about the guts (design, illustrations, size, etc.), the book just "feels" sort of...ordinary in boards, where real cloth would've made a world of difference and really set this edition apart. Can you tell us what happened between the plan and the execution on this?

Much appreciated,

Ron

Brian James Freeman
12-27-2010, 05:24 AM
Hi Ron!

I checked the spec sheets for The Exorcist/Legion and the binding is based on a 100% cotton plain weave, but I also felt the binding ended up "feeling" a little plain and I emailed the printer about it last week for some information. They only have a few staffers in during the holidays, but I should hear back soon. As for the ribbon bookmark, that looks to have been an oversight on the printer's part that we didn't notice when the books arrived. (With Full Dark, No Stars shipping full speed ahead, it's been a little crazy.) The ribbon page marker was definitely on the spec sheets, but that feature isn't something we ever "see" for any edition until the approval copies arrive, which is the very end of the printing process. In this case, I just checked the approval copies and they did not have the bookmark, but we missed that when we received them. If we had noticed, the only option would have been to have the printer rip all of the books apart and rebind them with the page maker. We probably would not have done that due to the risk of damaging the signature sheets. Now that you've brought this to my attention, I'll update the information on the website about the book for future collectors so they're not looking for a page maker that doesn't exist, I'll email the printer to find out what happened, and I'll talk to Rich and plan how to notify the collectors who bought the book.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

jhanic
12-27-2010, 05:35 AM
I hope you'll be able to get some of your money back from the printer, too.

John

MarkHarrill
12-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Did anyone order 2 copies of Full Dark No Stars and only receive one copy? I had two orders placed (one for a single copy and one for two copies). Both orders arrived on the same day in the same size box with one label showing 7lb and one label showing 4lb. Both had a single book enclosed.

I have been unsuccessful communicating with them about this and even sent pictures of the package.

After a lot of good luck with CD this year, I have had two straight mis-shipments. I think the temps might not be the best at QC.

Thoughts?

MarkHarrill
12-27-2010, 11:54 AM
And now the problem is solved. Mindy says another copy is forthcoming. Can't believe I have gotten hooked on these books. :)

jhanic
12-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Welcome aboard, Mark. Please post often!

John

Brian James Freeman
12-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Hey guys!

Mindy and I were answering emails all weekend long and we're back in the office today. Mindy is working through her emails as fast as she can, but she received approximately 800 emails over the weekend, plus another 250 orders to process, so we appreciate your patience while we keep digging out. If you have any problems with your shipments, just drop her (or me!) a line and we'll help you out as quickly as we can. It may take a little while, but we'll get your order made right. :)

By the way, how's this for one month's pub list:

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King
The Exorcist and Legion by William Peter Blatty
The Passage by Justin Cronin
Tales Too Extreme For Cemetery Dance (featuring JA Konrath, Edward Lee, Graham Masterton, Robert Rhine, and Ray Garton)
The Painted Darkness by Brian James Freeman
Shivers 6 edited by Richard Chizmar (and featuring "The Crate" by Stephen King)

Not a bad way to end the year, I think! :)

Thanks again to everyone who has helped make 2010 one of our best years ever. We have some very cool surprises in store for you in 2011!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Brian James Freeman
12-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Hey Ron!

Just another quick follow-up on your question about The Exorcist/Legion.

The printer has confirmed they missed the ribbon requirement on the spec sheets. We totally missed that it was missing on the approval copies, too. We so rarely have a ribbon in the limited, it just never "clicked" that there wasn't one here, which is also how they missed it! Of course, by the time we had approval copies it wouldn't have mattered since we wouldn't have risked damaging the sig sheets, but I would have liked to have noticed it before you. ;)

We're going to email the customers who ordered directly from us about this issue, and offer a $15 off coupon (no min or max purchase) as a make good for the error. We're talking to the printer about how to prevent this in the future since right now we don't have any way of confirming they remembered the ribbon during production. They're usually pretty good about not repeating mistakes, though.

Re: the binding. The printer has confirmed this is one of the "house" black cloth options, but I agree it didn't turn out as nice feeling as I had thought it would when I put the specs together. I was expecting something a little closer to the feel of the red cloth on the Stephen King: The Non-Fiction slipcase. If you compare this to a book like the trade HC of Full Dark, No Stars there's a noticeable difference, but still not quite as much as I would have liked!

Of course, anyone who would rather return the book can certainly do that if the book wasn't what you were expecting, or you're not happy with the final presentation or with the $15 off coupon offer for the lack of the ribbon page marker, etc.

As always, we're taking notes for future projects and we'll be looking into some other cloth options if/when we do the "no DJ" look again! Thanks for your questions and feedback!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Randall Flagg
12-27-2010, 12:45 PM
I didn't order The Exorcist/Legion but IMO a $15 credit is equitable.

swintek
12-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi Brian,

Well, talk about forthright answers! I do appreciate it. I'm surprised to hear that the binding is considered "cloth", and I guess it is in some fashion- just not a real great one :nope:. Honestly, I could care less about the ribbon bookmark, but appreciate CD going so far as to send a credit for it. I'll keep the book, but will probably end up having it rebound someday. I really liked the "idea" of how I expected it to look, and was kind of thrown when it arrived. Another minor quibble is the stamping is gold on black "boards", where the silver, as pictured on the website, just looks better as well.

Ok. I'm done. On to better news- also received the FDNS gift ed., and that one you knocked out of the park! Very pleased with this book all the way around. Here's to more like it!

Thanks again,

Ron

marc
12-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi, i got the e-mail about the missing pagemarker today and was ofcourse dissapointed by it. I was even more dissapointed to read that the 15 dollar store credit cannot be used on Stephen King books. Why is that? I realise that I have the option of cancelling my order (since it now no longer is what I originally ordered), but still it would have been more decent of CD not to exclude Stephen King from this store credit.

Brian James Freeman
12-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi, i got the e-mail about the missing pagemarker today and was ofcourse dissapointed by it. I was even more dissapointed to read that the 15 dollar store credit cannot be used on Stephen King books. Why is that? I realise that I have the option of cancelling my order (since it now no longer is what I originally ordered), but still it would have been more decent of CD not to exclude Stephen King from this store credit.

Hi Marc,

We never allow store credit, Gift Certificates, or coupons on books by Stephen King.

If you no longer want The Exorcist/Legion because it doesn't have a ribbon page marker or for any other reason, please email Mindy to cancel your order or return the book. We feel the $15 coupon was more than fair considering the nature of the snafu with the book, but we're happy to accept any returns and offer them to the Waiting List if you don't feel that it was fair enough.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Rahfa
12-27-2010, 06:14 PM
If you provide the $15 coupon to Marc so he CAN buy a Stephen King-related book (or whatever), nobody else will ever know...so it's not like you'd be setting a precedent...but at least he would be happy and not complain on a public forum...and that assumes he actually uses the $15 on an SK book....he probably wouldn't; rather, like many gift certificates, he probably woudn't use it at all.

This was a publisher's screwup (not really your fault, but still)....I'd say you could do a little better than "hey, send it back if you don't like it." You're the ones who advertised the page-ribbon; it's not like people were begging for it.

You could have chosen the "simple customer satisfaction" answer, but you chose the "let's extend this controversey into multiple posts on a message board" answer...sorry to be snarky, but that's the way it is.

Brian James Freeman
12-27-2010, 06:49 PM
And now the problem is solved. Mindy says another copy is forthcoming. Can't believe I have gotten hooked on these books. :)

It's easy to get hooked, isn't it? :)

Sorry again to hear about the trouble with your shipment. You're 100% correct -- we're shipping a lot of books this month (more than 5,000 copies from our new titles alone!) and our helpers do make mistakes (just like any human being!), but they do their best and we definitely want to make sure you're happy with your purchase and get what you're owed.

If anything else comes up, please don't hesitate to contact Mindy or myself! Thanks again for your order and your patience!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

swintek
12-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Jeez, look at all the hassle I've caused :unsure: Website descriptions altered, coupons and apologies issued, people unhappy, messageboard unrest! Like I said, I couldn't care less about a dumb bookmark- I just wanted the thing in nice cloth. Can't help feeling like if it wasn't for my post- it all would've passed by unnoticed.:scared:

marc
12-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Some people do care about a dumb bookmark swintek. It wouldn't have passed by unnoticed. Futher, Rahfa's post is right on the mark. I would have used the coupon and I would've used it on a Stephen King book (probably the same day). And it's not just about what is legally the right thing to do, it's also/foremost about making your customer happy.

carlosdetweiller
12-28-2010, 02:59 AM
Jeez, look at all the hassle I've caused :unsure: messageboard unrest!

Message board unrest? Ron, it is what we live for!

wizardsrainbow
12-28-2010, 03:20 AM
And I still have not received my shipment of Full Dark for Betts Books...sigh

Brian James Freeman
12-28-2010, 05:00 AM
Some people do care about a dumb bookmark swintek. It wouldn't have passed by unnoticed. Futher, Rahfa's post is right on the mark. I would have used the coupon and I would've used it on a Stephen King book (probably the same day). And it's not just about what is legally the right thing to do, it's also/foremost about making your customer happy.

Marc,

If you'd like to contact me off the message board, I'd be happy to discuss this matter further with you. Please email me with your contact information. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

herbertwest
12-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Can someone please tell me how many illustrations are in the RIDING THE BULLET deluxe special edition?

edit : i found the answer;
"Riding the Bullet has three color glossy pieces by Alan M. Clark that are hand-tipped into the novella section. Bernie Wrightson's art gallery on the movie side has 13 drawings and sketches."

Brian James Freeman
12-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Can someone please tell me how many illustrations are in the RIDING THE BULLET deluxe special edition?

Of course! There are three color pieces by Alan M. Clark on the novella side. There are 13 sketches and drawings by Bernie Wrightson in his Art Gallery on the script side. There are also 29 photos from the filming of the movie with captions by Mick Garris on the script side, along with 22 pages of various scans from Mick's private notebook kept during production (notes on script pages, a sample from the storyboards, production plans, set diagrams, etc.)

There are samples of those "bonus features" here:

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/books/ridingthebullet/features.html

Some of Bernie's artwork can be previewed here:

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/books/ridingthebullet/artwork1.html

And Alan's color pieces can be previewed here:

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/books/ridingthebullet/artwork2.html

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

ICry4Oy
12-28-2010, 07:16 AM
I always just use a post-it for bookmarks. :cyclops:

biomieg
12-28-2010, 07:25 AM
I always rip out the pages that I've read.

(and eat them with some fava beans and a nice chianti)

Niels
12-28-2010, 08:28 AM
And I still have not received my shipment of Full Dark for Betts Books...sigh

Even I've got mine, today, in the mail! What a difference compared to the Blockade Billy shipping-time (2 months).
Way to go! Yeah, I know, BB was 5 times the amount for CD.

thegreattim
12-28-2010, 09:03 AM
I always rip out the pages that I've read.

(and eat them with some fava beans and a nice chianti)

Hahahahhahaaa! Thanks, Michaël, I haven't laughed that hard all week. ;)

biomieg
12-28-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm not kidding though. And you would be surprised at how many hardcover 1sts and S/L books you can fit on a shelf once you get rid of the nasty paper inside!

carlosdetweiller
12-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm not kidding though. And you would be surprised at how many hardcover 1sts and S/L books you can fit on a shelf once you get rid of the nasty paper inside!

And the roughage has to be good for your digestive system. Right?

jhanic
12-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Not to mention a great source of fiber! :P

John

herbertwest
12-28-2010, 11:00 AM
thanks a lot Brian!

pixiedark76
12-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Limited editions taste so much better than trade editions! When I used to munch on trade editions, I got so much gas! I think it has something to do with the quality of the paper? :lol:

e_taylor
12-29-2010, 06:22 AM

And the roughage has to be good for your digestive system. Right?

You're the doctor Bob!

You guys heard it here first, Dr. Bob says eating your limited edition books is good for your health!

Brice
12-29-2010, 11:17 AM
:unsure:

...just watch out for those asbestos Kings and Bradburys.

Merlin1958
12-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey Ron!

Just another quick follow-up on your question about The Exorcist/Legion.

The printer has confirmed they missed the ribbon requirement on the spec sheets. We totally missed that it was missing on the approval copies, too. We so rarely have a ribbon in the limited, it just never "clicked" that there wasn't one here, which is also how they missed it! Of course, by the time we had approval copies it wouldn't have mattered since we wouldn't have risked damaging the sig sheets, but I would have liked to have noticed it before you. ;)

We're going to email the customers who ordered directly from us about this issue, and offer a $15 off coupon (no min or max purchase) as a make good for the error. We're talking to the printer about how to prevent this in the future since right now we don't have any way of confirming they remembered the ribbon during production. They're usually pretty good about not repeating mistakes, though.

Re: the binding. The printer has confirmed this is one of the "house" black cloth options, but I agree it didn't turn out as nice feeling as I had thought it would when I put the specs together. I was expecting something a little closer to the feel of the red cloth on the Stephen King: The Non-Fiction slipcase. If you compare this to a book like the trade HC of Full Dark, No Stars there's a noticeable difference, but still not quite as much as I would have liked!

Of course, anyone who would rather return the book can certainly do that if the book wasn't what you were expecting, or you're not happy with the final presentation or with the $15 off coupon offer for the lack of the ribbon page marker, etc.

As always, we're taking notes for future projects and we'll be looking into some other cloth options if/when we do the "no DJ" look again! Thanks for your questions and feedback!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Just spit-balling here, but I was one of the ones lucky enough to order the happenstance slipcase for my edition. Let me tell you the edition was made for a slipcase IMO. Especially the Red case on the black book, Marvelous look!!! I think I only paid $24 for the slipcase.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is maybe a good solution would be to offer a discounted slipcase to customers. The way I understand it the cases were leftovers from another edition so specs and such should be on file, no? It would (hopefully) just be a matter of re-ordering from the manufacturer. If anyone wants to see pics w/SC:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8385/exorcist001.jpg

Lousy pic, but you get the idea. I'm sure Brian could do much better. Since this edition did not have a DJ, a slipcase really seems in order!!! The ribbon-marker, which would have been nice, is not a "deal-breaker" to me. If I had a choice between the 2, I'd take the case and pay a few extra bucks in a heartbeat!!!! Which I did!!!! LOL LOL

Just a thought.

MLG
12-29-2010, 01:45 PM
I have net received my shipping notification yet but CD's website has moved Legacies from Coming Soon to Recent Releases. Great way to end the year! I thank all at Cemetery Dance for not giving up on this project!

Brian James Freeman
12-29-2010, 02:20 PM
I have net received my shipping notification yet but CD's website has moved Legacies from Coming Soon to Recent Releases. Great way to end the year! I thank all at Cemetery Dance for not giving up on this project!

We thank each and every customer who patiently stood by us during the years it took this project to be completed. Our customers were supportive and showed a ton of faith.

We're now starting to ship the Limited Edition AND the Lettered Edition, and these orders are going to ship a little slower than normal because we are cross checking all of the orders by hand to make sure everyone gets their book at their *current* address since it's been a long time since the orders were placed and folks have obviously moved around. We just want to make sure your book is definitely going to the right place since it's been such a long time coming.

Thanks for your patience!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Patrick
12-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Brian, if you can't find anyone's current address for shipping, just assume they live with me now. :D

Jimimck
12-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Brian if you can't find anyone's current address for shipping, just assume they live with me now. :D

:lol:

Brian James Freeman
12-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Brian, if you can't find anyone's current address for shipping, just assume they live with me now. :D

HA! :)

Best,
Brian

carlosdetweiller
12-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Brian, do you think that CD will ever be completely transparent as to all the reasons for LEGACIES being delayed so long? There were rumors of litigation (and other things) so maybe y'all aren't at liberty to be completely open and honest about it. But it would be nice to hear the whole story of a book being delayed over 10 years.

jemaher
12-29-2010, 03:37 PM
I would consider selling mine. I don't think I'll be in the Cronin market in the future. The more I think about the story, the less it impresses me.

I have to agree with your assessment. Book was a disappointment. I had images of the Stand when i started reading. Alas there is only ONE sai King..... I am pleased to find out that the book is a trilogy and perhaps the future books will flesh out and redeem the otherwise anticlimactic disappointing ending

Brian James Freeman
12-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Brian, do you think that CD will ever be completely transparent as to all the reasons for LEGACIES being delayed so long? There were rumors of litigation (and other things) so maybe y'all aren't at liberty to be completely open and honest about it. But it would be nice to hear the whole story of a book being delayed over 10 years.

Hi Bob!

There was no litigation of any kind or anything like that. I remember a rumor that a certain author refused to work with us and would never sign the signature sheets -- all while photos of the signed sheets were on the website and we published other books with that author! I wouldn't put much weight on rumors. :)

As I mentioned a while back, the project was bigger than realized/expected/understood when it was conceived, so there were numerous printing and binding problems, specifically due to the number of tip-ins. There were a lot of false starts including several stretches where we thought we found the right printer or binder to finish the job and they didn't work out for a variety of reasons. There were a lot of lessons learned from this production of this project, which we've applied to make other projects go smoother, and that's really all there is to it.

For example, we're no longer announcing projects until we have a firm production plan and an achievable target date. Blockade Billy was announced three weeks before publication. Pork Pie Hat was announced a month before publication. The Secret Backs of Things, Bone Soup, and Four Rode Out were announced the day they were actually in our warehouse, ready to ship. Full Dark, No Stars was announced two months before publication.

We're working hard to catch-up on any remaining projects that are outstanding, and we're making better decisions about when to announce new projects -- and we're making smarter decisions about which projects to undertake. We're still not perfect, but we're going to continue to do everything we can to improve.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Sam
12-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Brian,
I have to say that y'all may not be perfect, but y'all have certainly stepped up your game. Y'all have also gone a long way in repairing the breach between CD and existing collectors. I cannot speak for anyone but myself, and am no boards other than this one, but I believe that is HUGELY due to your active participation in this discussion.

carlosdetweiller
12-30-2010, 05:47 AM
Brian, as long as you are here and don't seem to mind answering questions: What is the status of the third Christopher Snow novel by Dean Koontz? That is a story that was left hanging and some fans (me) would like to see finished. Or is Koontz the rumored author who no longer wants anything to do with CD?

Brian James Freeman
12-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Brian, as long as you are here and don't seem to mind answering questions: What is the status of the third Christopher Snow novel by Dean Koontz? That is a story that was left hanging and some fans (me) would like to see finished. Or is Koontz the rumored author who no longer wants anything to do with CD?

I don't actually know the status of Ride the Storm. I know Dean said he was halfway through the manuscript years ago, but I haven't heard about it since. Dean is so prolific, he could write that (and two other books!) next year for all I know. :)

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Brian James Freeman
12-30-2010, 07:13 AM
Brian,
I have to say that y'all may not be perfect, but y'all have certainly stepped up your game. Y'all have also gone a long way in repairing the breach between CD and existing collectors. I cannot speak for anyone but myself, and am no boards other than this one, but I believe that is HUGELY due to your active participation in this discussion.

Thanks. Hopefully we'll be able to address any questions, comments, concerns, or rumors more effectively by communicating directly on here. Of course, I am always happy to answer any questions via email or PM if someone would rather ask something outside of the public forum.

We have lots of big news to come in 2011 -- new books and the rest of the catching up -- and I hope there will be a little something for everyone.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Rahfa
12-30-2010, 08:28 AM
So 'Legacies' is shipping? It will be interesting to see what happens on the secondary market for this book.

Brian James Freeman
12-30-2010, 08:40 AM
For those who missed my post, we added some additional photos of Legacies with the finished traycases, etc:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/legacies-photos/

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Randall Flagg
12-30-2010, 04:35 PM
The book(s) looks amazing. I didn't order one, but I will be interested to see where the market takes the book.

Ari_Racing
12-30-2010, 05:35 PM
I was unable to order one, but I really hope a gift or trade edition is published. It looks GORGEOUS!

Patrick
12-30-2010, 11:57 PM
I agree, both editions of LEGACIES look fantastic. Personally I like the look of the Limited Edition even better than the Lettered.

Wish I had a LEGACIES coming!

Brian James Freeman
12-31-2010, 06:35 AM
For those who are interested, we posted a year-end letter thanking our collectors and summarizing what we published in 2010:

"As most of you know, Cemetery Dance has come a long way since Richard Chizmar founded the magazine in his college apartment in 1988, but we're still a small business with only four full-time employees, and we wanted to take a moment to thank all of the customers who supported us this year. Although we shipped more than 65,000 orders between January 1st and today, we still recognized a lot of the customer names on those packing lists and that's always a great feeling.

We thought this might be a good time to look back on the crazy and extremely productive year we had. When all was said and done, we published new books by Stephen King, William Peter Blatty, Peter Straub, Justin Cronin, Norman Partridge, F. Paul Wilson, Brian Keene, Christopher Golden, Ronald Kelly, Simon Clark, Tim Lebbon, Tom Piccirilli, Edward Lee, Rick Hautala, Al Sarrantonio, and many other masters of horror. In fact, we published 35 collectible books in 2010, which makes it one of our most successful years to date!

We started the year by..."

You can read the rest, if you want, on our Breaking News page:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/BreakingNews

Thanks to all of our collectors who made this such a successful year! We hope you'll like what we have in store for 2011 because, in addition to the rest of the catching up we have to finish, we have some really great surprises.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

e_taylor
12-31-2010, 06:40 AM
Cemetery Dance needs more Edward Lee!

Last I heard, "Lucifer's Lottery" (the 4th and final Infernal book) didn't have a publisher for the hardcover. CD did do the first three books in the series... just sayin'!

LostAlivE
12-31-2010, 09:08 AM
Limited editions taste so much better than trade editions! When I used to munch on trade editions, I got so much gas! I think it has something to do with the quality of the paper? :lol:

Just think what the Lettered editions could do for you :lol:

ELazansky
12-31-2010, 09:14 AM
After seeing the photos for Legacies, I am glad I took CD up on the offer to by the book from a collector who no longer wanted it. I'm sure it will be worth the price I paid for it.

Brian James Freeman
12-31-2010, 09:31 AM
Cemetery Dance needs more Edward Lee!

Last I heard, "Lucifer's Lottery" (the 4th and final Infernal book) didn't have a publisher for the hardcover. CD did do the first three books in the series... just sayin'!

We love Edward Lee... and everyone needs more Infernal in their life! :)

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

jhanic
01-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I just got the email that both my s/l Shivers VI and the trade paperback have shipped!

John

Brian James Freeman
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
I just got the email that both my s/l Shivers VI and the trade paperback have shipped!

John

Here's a shot of the endpaper of the limited edition, just as a little sneak peek. We wanted to do something different for this one!

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/chizmar15end.jpg

And here is a line-up for the Shivers books so far:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/chizmar15lineup.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness, I took them quickly the other day!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Merlin1958
01-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Very Handsome, Good Job, Brian!!!!!

Patrick
01-07-2011, 12:12 AM

John
Me too!

I like the endpapers, Brian.

SkippyD023
01-08-2011, 11:51 AM
I just received my S/L copy of The Passage. Another well done book by CD, keep up the good work.

Randall Flagg
01-08-2011, 01:10 PM
I looked back and I guess I didn't order the S/L of The Passage. I'm actually glad I didn't-saved the money for something else.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-08-2011, 01:21 PM
I ordered mine through Gauntlet, so now I'm expecting a bill for $100!

ELazansky
01-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Brian,

What's the status on the shipping of Legacies? I know you guys have been cranking it out (got The Passage today - another excellent CD production)...just exciting about getting my copy.

Brian James Freeman
01-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Brian,

What's the status on the shipping of Legacies? I know you guys have been cranking it out (got The Passage today - another excellent CD production)...just exciting about getting my copy.

No problem! :) For the customers we've heard back from confirming their address (we emailed everyone we had an email address for, and sent letters to everyone else and anyone who did not reply to the email), we hope to have all of those copies finished shipping this upcoming week. If you ordered the book from us, and did not get the email asking you to confirm your mailing address, you don't need to wait for the letter to arrive -- you can just email me right away so I can confirm your address and get your order sent to the warehouse!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

thegreattim
01-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Wow, with the addresses and emails (if there people even had them), I imagine it may be very difficult to track everyone down after so long. That's a shame, though I imagine you guys will make every attempt and give everyone more than ample time to get things straightened out with you.

That being said, I could see a situation several months down the road from now where you just have no further way to try and get in touch with people. If that day ever comes, and say... you have an extra S/L around, I could see a situation where you might be able to talk me into purchasing said book from you. I don't think you'd even have to try very hard. Nope, not very hard at all, sir.

Just putting that out there.

Cloysterpete
01-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Will I be able to buy Shivers 6 from Amazon Bri?, I can only buy books direct from CD now if I'm buying like 2 or 3 together as separately the int shipping makes it too expensive. Also on the page for Shivers it asks you whether you want to buy a 1st edition or whether you want to pre order a 2nd edition, is there any reason someone would want to wait for a 2nd edition instead of getting a 1st that is shipping now?.

ELazansky
01-09-2011, 03:14 AM
Brian,

No problem! :) For the customers we've heard back from confirming their address (we emailed everyone we had an email address for, and sent letters to everyone else and anyone who did not reply to the email), we hope to have all of those copies finished shipping this upcoming week. If you ordered the book from us, and did not get the email asking you to confirm your mailing address, you don't need to wait for the letter to arrive -- you can just email me right away so I can confirm your address and get your order sent to the warehouse!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Thanks, Brian. I sent you an email with my info.

Brian James Freeman
01-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Wow, with the addresses and emails (if there people even had them), I imagine it may be very difficult to track everyone down after so long. That's a shame, though I imagine you guys will make every attempt and give everyone more than ample time to get things straightened out with you.

That being said, I could see a situation several months down the road from now where you just have no further way to try and get in touch with people. If that day ever comes, and say... you have an extra S/L around, I could see a situation where you might be able to talk me into purchasing said book from you. I don't think you'd even have to try very hard. Nope, not very hard at all, sir.

Just putting that out there.

About 90% of the Legacies customers are still regular customers, many of the rest have stayed in touch about COAs, etc, and we're having very good luck so far with the ones we hadn't heard from in a while!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Brian James Freeman
01-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Will I be able to buy Shivers 6 from Amazon Bri?, I can only buy books direct from CD now if I'm buying like 2 or 3 together as separately the int shipping makes it too expensive. Also on the page for Shivers it asks you whether you want to buy a 1st edition or whether you want to pre order a 2nd edition, is there any reason someone would want to wait for a 2nd edition instead of getting a 1st that is shipping now?.

Amazon is probably going to end up with 2nd printings because it looks like we won't be sending any distributors 1st printing, but they definitely *will* get copies of some kind for this title if they've ordered from a distributor like Ingram or Baker & Taylor. I would say there's absolutely no reason to wait for the 2nd printing. It will be exactly the same, except for a mention of "second printing" on the copyright page.

You may want to check with Mindy on the shipping for this one. It is less than 4 pounds when packed, so it qualifies for the new 1st Class International rate I mentioned a while back. Anything less than 4 pounds can be shipped with this service now. I think shipping overseas with this rate will be much less expensive, although Amazon is probably still cheaper since they tend to "eat" a lot of their shipping costs. If anyone is interested, I can find out the cost for shipping this item to the UK, Australia, Canada, and anywhere else you want, and post that information here.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Cloysterpete
01-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks for your help Bri!. You see I've got the first four in this series so there's no way I'm missing out on this one.

mikeyw
01-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi and happy new year (belatedly) to all. Its been a while since I frequented the forum, so i've alot of catching up to do - and even longer since some of my more vocal criticisms of CD. Catching up though i'm struck by the fact that had CD engaged as Brian has now with the forum and their clients sooner, they would have had much happier customers. It is very refreshing to read Brians emails - guess i'm just sad that having decided not to stay the course and got my money back, and canceled my orders, CD are coming good, but I missed some nice editions by the looks esp matching up my SOD1 with SODII, and the lettered editions i;d ordered - Shame all round.

Rahfa
01-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Hi and happy new year (belatedly) to all. Its been a while since I frequented the forum, so i've alot of catching up to do - and even longer since some of my more vocal criticisms of CD. Catching up though i'm struck by the fact that had CD engaged as Brian has now with the forum and their clients sooner, they would have had much happier customers. It is very refreshing to read Brians emails - guess i'm just sad that having decided not to stay the course and got my money back, and canceled my orders, CD are coming good, but I missed some nice editions by the looks esp matching up my SOD1 with SODII, and the lettered editions i;d ordered - Shame all round.

Eh, I['m sure the money was put to good use on your end...many of these books will be available at/near publisher's price anyway, and you can buy at your leisure...and the aftermarket premium is just a tradeoff for convenience. Yes, you lost a matching number, but with so many different s/ls floating around, even the cachet of that has gone lacking a little bit...

mikeyw
01-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Well, this is true - money went toward renovating a house in France....and I guess if the 2 CD editions I have offend me so much as I dont have the new ones, I can always sell them!....

Mind you, i've not added to my SK collection for a good while now, so maybe I ought to see whats out there again! I have a few on my wish list so maybe there will be a sale or 2 around...

Jimimck
01-09-2011, 01:26 PM
You may want to check with Mindy on the shipping for this one. It is less than 4 pounds when packed, so it qualifies for the new 1st Class International rate I mentioned a while back. Anything less than 4 pounds can be shipped with this service now. I think shipping overseas with this rate will be much less expensive, although Amazon is probably still cheaper since they tend to "eat" a lot of their shipping costs. If anyone is interested, I can find out the cost for shipping this item to the UK, Australia, Canada, and anywhere else you want, and post that information here.

Hi Brian,
Yes could you please pst what the new cost would be for New Zealand? Will be very helpful for future orders.
Cheers
James

shnnrc01
01-10-2011, 12:27 PM
i went for a cd "grab bag: kind of offer they had recently for about $179. 3 books- SOD VOL 1 GIFT,RIDING THE BULLET ARC,BLOCKADE BILLY. i sold my own gift copy of SOD VOL 1 on ebay when prices were a bit crazy and voila!... free riding the bullet ARC! theres a lot of them out there alright.

Brian James Freeman
01-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi Brian,
Yes could you please pst what the new cost would be for New Zealand? Will be very helpful for future orders.
Cheers
James

Happy to! Here is the Shivers 6 trade paperback shipping costs for International orders. This book with packing material is 2 pounds, so we can ship it via the new 1st Class International option the Post Office just added a little while back:

Canada: $9.00
United Kingdom: $18.00
Australia: $18.00
New Zealand: $18.00

Back when we could only ship this weight via Priority International, it was probably around $32.00. Again, this new 1st Class option only applies to international shipments of 4 pounds or less and we are automatically using this option whenever it is available for a shipment to save you on the postage costs. There's nothing you need to do to select this option.

Our completely revamped website, which we'll be launching later this year, should be able to automatically estimate shipping costs based on your location so you're presented this information when checking out. I know that's been a request of the International customers for a long time, and although it wasn't something we could do on the current website, it has been on my priority list for the new website.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Jimimck
01-10-2011, 02:07 PM
That's great news thank you Brian.

So what would an average gift edition weigh from CD? say for example the latest FDNS?

Brian James Freeman
01-10-2011, 02:29 PM
That's great news thank you Brian.

So what would an average gift edition weigh from CD? say for example the latest FDNS?

Full Dark, No Stars Gift Edition came in at 4 pounds, so we were able to ship them via 1st Class International. The costs on those were:

Canada: $22.00
United Kingdom: $37.00
Australia: $37.00
New Zealand: $37.00

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Patrick
01-11-2011, 10:41 AM
NOTE:

I moved the RIDING THE BULLET ARC discussion to the dedicated RIDING THE BULLET thread.

Thanks.
- Patrick

Brian James Freeman
01-11-2011, 11:02 AM
For those who are interested in our other books, today we're announcing Picking the Bones by Brian Hodge:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/hodge02

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/hodge02.jpg

The Lettered Edition is already sold out.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Tito_Villa
01-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Love the cover art ... but i am skint at the moment :(

willie3
01-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Brian
Is Vincent doing any interior art?
Color or black and white?

Karl

Brian James Freeman
01-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Brian
Is Vincent doing any interior art?
Color or black and white?

Karl

Just the cover on this one! Thanks for asking! I really dig this collection, and I love that cover. It's going to be a good looking book.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

e_taylor
01-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Hodge is a genius - and as good as his novels are he really shines in his short stories. I'd suggest this one to anyone who loves the art of the short story!

Patrick
01-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Hodge is a genius - and as good as his novels are he really shines in his short stories. I'd suggest this one to anyone who loves the art of the short story!
I LOVE the art of the short story! But that cover still creeps me out in a way that I don't want to buy the book. I don't know why.

biomieg
01-12-2011, 03:32 AM
I just found this in my mailbox:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/straub02.gif

Fast shipping - I think I ordered it not more than a week ago.

Cutter
01-12-2011, 02:26 PM
OMG - my copy of Legacies has shipped. I have a shipping number and everything. Who Hoo!!!!

ELazansky
01-12-2011, 02:27 PM
I feel the same way - can't wait to get mine - hopefully it will only be 2-3 days since I live near CD.

jhanic
01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Mine too!

John

MLG
01-12-2011, 02:38 PM
I have the shipping notice for Legacies. Unfortunately I live across the country from CD so it is still a week away. I have a nine year nephew who likes looking at my books, I explained to him that I would be getting a book soon that I bought before he was born. That really puzzled him! Can't wait to have this in my hands!

WeDealInLead
01-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Hmm... I'm sort of starting to regret not buying one, even at the inflated $400 price.

willie3
01-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Got my ship notice too !!!

:panic:

Karl

Jimimck
01-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Hmm... I'm sort of starting to regret not buying one, even at the inflated $400 price.

I must admit I didn't really know much about this book, or the history behind it, when CD offered it to me for $400. I saw the original price and thought "why would I want to pay twice as much???"

I'm starting to understand why now :doh:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-12-2011, 03:23 PM
I don't have Legacies on order. Somebody sell me a copy?

BigCoffinHunter
01-12-2011, 04:02 PM
I have also received my shipping notice :)

As of 2010, I had around $7,000.00 in outstanding orders with Cemetery Dance spread out over roughly the last ten years. Having received several titles throughout the year (including the Lettered SOD V1, which was a large expense) and with Legacies on the way and FDNS shipping soon as well, I'll be down to around $4,000.00 pretty soon. The Lettered SOD V2 will also be shipping shortly, which will drop another $1,550.00 from that total.

I gather that for many having had that much money tied up in one publisher for so many years would have led to a coronary by now, but I guess ignorance is bliss because I never really put too much thought into the outstanding orders I've had with Cemetery Dance. Maybe once a year I send an e-mail to Mindy confirming everything I have on order and asking for updates, but that's about it. Call me naive, but I just always assumed that they would keep their promises and come through in the end.

Can't wait to see how Legacies turned out. Now, if they can just manage to finish Century's Best Horror Fiction this year I'll be truly happy :)

MLG
01-12-2011, 04:02 PM
My records indicate that I paid $150.00 for Legacies. It was a long time ago so I am not sure if my records are wrong or if I got a discount from some promotion.

Dolso
01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
I wasn't an original purcaser of Legacies but bought at a later date .... but even so, my grand-daughter wasn't yet born when I did buy & she's 4 1/2 years old now.

I'd agree with "Centuries Best" & also add Horror Hall of Fame. By the way ~~ I have plenty of experience with it ...Ignorance IS bliss.

Pasiuk57
01-12-2011, 05:10 PM
I got confirmation Legacies is on the way.
Also got Shivers VI today-Trade and Limited. No Lettered yet.

jhanic
01-12-2011, 06:47 PM
I noticed in my copies of Shivers VI that there is no listing of the stories' original publications (if any.) I know King's The Crate was originally published in the July 1979 Gallery, but there's no mention of this anywhere in the book.

John

thegreattim
01-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Strange. I always assume that info had to be included on the CP... some sort of copyright law. Clearly that is not the case.

Cutter
01-13-2011, 07:30 AM
I have a nine year nephew who likes looking at my books, I explained to him that I would be getting a book soon that I bought before he was born. That really puzzled him!
That is sad and funny at the same time :)

Brian James Freeman
01-13-2011, 07:36 AM
I've updated the Screamplays page and the Smoke & Mirrors page to indicate that these books will be 9 X 12 like The Secretary of Dreams. I didn't realize that information was only mentioned in a newsletter and hadn't actually been added to the website:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar12
http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar13

They're going to be gorgeous with those covers so big, I think!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

ELazansky
01-13-2011, 07:37 AM

I hesitated at first when offered one for $400, but I decided to take the plunge. I'm sure initially copies may go for higher than this, but eventually they will probably come down. I just didn't want to shop around for one.

nyy3723a
01-13-2011, 08:37 AM

I hesitated at first when offered one for $400, but I decided to take the plunge. I'm sure initially copies may go for higher than this, but eventually they will probably come down. I just didn't want to shop around for one.

I took the $400 dive also and I was able to get a matching number to my SOD vols I & II :)

Brian James Freeman
01-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Just a heads-up: almost all of the remaining shipping notices went out last night, but some of those books aren't actually shipping until Friday and Monday because of the snowstorm. The way our order management system works is kind of dumb sometimes, but we had to "fill" all of the remaining orders to start processing the Non-US shipments -- and filling the orders generates the shipping information. So your tracking numbers are correct, but the book may not have actually been packed and left the building yet. The Non-US orders should be finished next week.

This process has been slower going than I hoped, but we have a staff of 5 working on nothing but inspecting each and every book and traycase, handling the numbering and the lettering, cross-checking the order list and the updated shipping information we received from our customers, and then carefully packing the books. We're using "larger" than necessary boxes with extra packing peanuts, and the books (in their traycases, of course) are being bubble-bagged.

That said, mistakes could still happen, or UPS could take out some aggression on your package in transit, so if you have any questions or concerns about your shipment or your book or your order, please don't hesitate to email me. I'd be happy to help, but it is much easier for me to track your issue and solve it if I have an email to reference. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Brian James Freeman
01-13-2011, 09:10 AM
I have the shipping notice for Legacies. Unfortunately I live across the country from CD so it is still a week away. I have a nine year nephew who likes looking at my books, I explained to him that I would be getting a book soon that I bought before he was born. That really puzzled him! Can't wait to have this in my hands!

Mindy loves to tell people this, but I'm pretty sure I was a senior in high school when the book was announced. I did not order one. ;)

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

MLG
01-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Brian,
That comment makes me feel old. The fact that I am old doesn't help either!

jhanic
01-14-2011, 04:52 AM
My delivery date for Legacies is Monday, 1/17/11.

John

ELazansky
01-14-2011, 04:55 AM
Mine is on the UPS truck and on its way to me today!

jhanic
01-14-2011, 05:00 AM
:thumbsup:

John

Randall Flagg
01-14-2011, 06:24 AM
Looks like mine is scheduled for the 20th.

Cutter
01-14-2011, 06:27 AM
I'm with John - I'm scheduled for the 17th, which makes sense since we're both from Ohio.

MLG
01-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Legacies is scheduled for delivery to me on the 20th.

ELazansky
01-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Legacies has arrived!

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/Books/Legacies.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/Books/Legacies2.jpg

carlosdetweiller
01-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Looks nice!

east-tennessee
01-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Nice :clap:

Fsmdr
01-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Looks great!.

MLG
01-14-2011, 11:03 AM
UPS changed my estimated delivery date to 1/19!

Tito_Villa
01-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Wish i had one of those on the way!

frik
01-14-2011, 11:28 AM
As do I. Looks like a gorgeous book!
Have to keep an eye out for eBay for sure.

sk

Patrick
01-14-2011, 11:40 AM
That's a beautiful book.

lophophoras
01-15-2011, 06:36 AM
It does look great. I am now regretting not purchasing one for $400.00 a month ago... Oh well.. LOL..

Congrats to those that got one. I'm sure it feels great to those that have been waiting for so long.

Also, congrats to CD for getting this one out to everybody.

e_taylor
01-15-2011, 08:14 AM
It does look great. I am now regretting not purchasing one for $400.00 a month ago... Oh well.. LOL..

Congrats to those that got one. I'm sure it feels great to those that have been waiting for so long.

Also, congrats to CD for getting this one out to everybody.

I suspect after the initial spike the prices will come down on these. Anthologies don't normally hold their value, plus with all the delays and bad press associated with this particular book I think a lot of collectors will be "turned off" it.

lophophoras
01-15-2011, 08:47 AM
The collecting world is funny though. The fact that this is the book that 'almost didn't happen' could make it a highly desired collectable. It's history alone could draw interest to it.

It could really go either way.

e_taylor
01-15-2011, 08:56 AM
The collecting world is funny though. The fact that this is the book that 'almost didn't happen' could make it a highly desired collectable. It's history alone could draw interest to it.

It could really go either way.

Yah as with most collectible books its a crapshoot and only time will tell.

ELazansky
01-15-2011, 08:57 AM
I don't think it is going to drop that fast. For all of the people who have been waiting years and years for this book to arrive, are they going to turn around and sell it? And for those buyers who decided the book was no longer for them, CD gave them the chance to sell their book and double their cash before the book was even released.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Every King signed/limited published in the last 5 years has been available for the issue price or less on the secondary market.

I know this because that's where I've got all mine.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Every King signed/limited published in the last 5 years has been available for the issue price or less on the secondary market.

I know this because that's where I've got all mine.

Explain Secondary Market. Do you mean Ebay, local used store, etc.?

Point me in the right direction, I'll buy another S/L Legacies for $200

Cloysterpete
01-15-2011, 09:34 AM
You know what he means by secondary market mulleins, don't be pedantic lol. Anywhere that ain't the publisher.

Second he says has been available, HAS BEEN, he didn't say you could buy any S/L released in the less five years for less than issue price now.

I think you've managed to misconstrue his post somewhat, all he's saying in a nutshell is there's no need to go out and pay over the odds for Legacies because he's managed to buy them all for retail or less from secondary sources.

Sam
01-15-2011, 12:51 PM
But right at this moment, I would call the published price $400 because that's what the publisher sold the latest first-owned copies for. I know what others paid for their copies years ago, but that was years ago and their price doesn't translate over to today. Therefore, I would say that the price set by the publisher today is what I would consider the published price if putting the book up for sale. Just my two cents.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-15-2011, 01:07 PM
You know what he means by secondary market mulleins, don't be pedantic lol. Anywhere that ain't the publisher.

Second he says has been available, HAS BEEN, he didn't say you could buy any S/L released in the less five years for less than issue price now.

I think you've managed to misconstrue his post somewhat, all he's saying in a nutshell is there's no need to go out and pay over the odds for Legacies because he's managed to buy them all for retail or less from secondary sources.

Well CP, my post wasn’t nit-picking as you say. I asked a legit question. Maybe RT’s secondary market sources are different. I was just curious.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-15-2011, 01:15 PM
But right at this moment, I would call the published price $400 because that's what the publisher sold the latest first-owned copies for. I know what others paid for their copies years ago, but that was years ago and their price doesn't translate over to today. Therefore, I would say that the price set by the publisher today is what I would consider the published price if putting the book up for sale. Just my two cents.

The published price is on the dustjacket. (usually)

Room 217 Caretaker
01-15-2011, 01:24 PM

The published price is on the dustjacket. (usually)

It is......$200

willie3
01-15-2011, 01:33 PM
As for secondary market prices, is it only SK s/l editions not increasing/holding the value?

Try to find a UK Passage S/L for initial offering price, or even double.
And a lot of CD & SubPress S/L offerings seem to be sky high.
Try to get a S/L Songs of the Dying Earth for a decent price.

I mention these two because I am actively looking for both.
Maybe Rabbit knows some place I ain't lookin'?

Karl

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-15-2011, 02:25 PM
I've got the lettered and signed SONGS OF THE DYING EARTH but they ain't for sale! As soon as I get the UK paperback I'm going to post a picture in my collection thread.

tippy4
01-15-2011, 02:25 PM
I can't say that MRT is right that EVERY SK S/L has dipped below publisher's price, but i do know that some fo them have. But here is the thing...I don't see them holding at below publisher's price for long. Like all markets, there are ups and downs.

Case in point, I bought a S/L SoDV2 on ebay a couple monthes ago for less than $250, I just sold the same book for $385 on ebay.

I have seen the same happen with other KIng S/Ls as well.

However, I have not seen a DT5, DT6 or DT7 that sold BELOW the original DMG price ($175-$225).

I can guarantee that you have never seeen a S/L Quietly Now sell for less than the $40 publisher's price.

I also find it very unlikey that we will ever see a S/L Legacies sell below publisher's price.

biomieg
01-15-2011, 02:44 PM
I can't say that MRT is right that EVERY SK S/L has dipped below publisher's price...

I think Alan was referring to the S/Ls released in the past five years. Also, I don't think he's implying that these S/Ls go down in value and stay below publishing price but rather that so far, all of them could be had for less than the publishing price if one were patient enough to wait for the right occasion. I think he's right.

Cutter
01-15-2011, 03:21 PM

Just to point out the people on the waiting list, like myself, only paid $200 for the book. I paid CD back in October or something like that. The copies they sold for $400 were other peoples copies. The extras CD had to sell to the waiting list they sold for the original 1999 price of $200. So I paid $200 3 months ago buying direct from CD.

tippy4
01-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Gonna have to agree with Cutter...Publisher's price was $200.

Yes, CD did sell a handful of copies for $400, but that was on consignment.

I think what we are talking about is ORIGINAL publisher's price.

Right now, DMG is selling DT2 for $75, but the majority of them were probably sold at the ORIGINAL publisher's price of $35.

carlosdetweiller
01-16-2011, 05:25 AM

I don't actually know the status of Ride the Storm. I know Dean said he was halfway through the manuscript years ago, but I haven't heard about it since. Dean is so prolific, he could write that (and two other books!) next year for all I know. :)

What would be the best way to find out the status of RIDE THE STORM? Is there someone else there at CD that would know where this project stood? Are you saying it is a "manuscript delivery" problem originating with Koontz or are there other problems? Or would it be best to ask Dean Koontz? The reason that I asked is that I actually liked the storyline and would like to see it finished.

Brian James Freeman
01-16-2011, 05:36 AM

What would be the best way to find out the status of RIDE THE STORM? Is there someone else there at CD that would know where this project stood? Are you saying it is a "manuscript delivery" problem originating with Koontz or are there other problems? Or would it be best to ask Dean Koontz? The reason that I asked is that I actually liked the storyline and would like to see it finished.

It sounds like (as of 2008...) he hadn't finishing writing it yet:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/262978-ride-the-storm-chris-snow-3

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101027092518AAERm1J

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ride_the_Storm_(novel)

Brian

carlosdetweiller
01-16-2011, 05:47 AM
It sounds like (as of 2008...) he hadn't finishing writing it yet:

Thanks for the info and the links. It looks like I am not the only one who would like the story finished.

Patrick
01-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Note:

FDNS and BB updates now moved to their respective threads.

Thank you.

Brian James Freeman
01-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the info and the links. It looks like I am not the only one who would like the story finished.

Yeah, it sounds like a lot of fans have been asking him to write it sooner than later! :)

Brian

jhanic
01-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I got my copy of Legacies (#156) this morning!

John

Patrick
01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Congrats, John! Can I have it?

biomieg
01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
And after you read it, Patrick, can I have it?

jhanic
01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Congrats, John! Can I have it?

No. :P

John

nyy3723a
01-18-2011, 05:56 AM
I got my Legacies yesterday!!!

frik
01-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Sure, rub it in!

(Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!)

sk

pixiedark76
01-18-2011, 03:20 PM
I got my copy of Legacies (#156) this morning!

John

PICTURES PLEASE!

jhanic
01-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Pixie, I'm unable to take pictures with a camera. The only thing I use is the scanner that's attached to my computer. (I have a tremor that affects my picture-taking ability.)

John

pixiedark76
01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Pixie, I'm unable to take pictures with a camera. The only thing I use is the scanner that's attached to my computer. (I have a tremor that affects my picture-taking ability.)

John

I got an idea. :idea: You could send me your Legacies book so I can see what it looks like! You can trust me. :innocent:

MLG
01-20-2011, 08:32 AM
I received Legacies #247 yesterday. I will try to make some time to upload some photos this weekend. Beautiful book!

Cutter
01-20-2011, 10:54 AM
EDIT: I tried with pictures but I couldn't get Flicker to work. Sorry

ELazansky
01-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Here's some Legacies pics for all who are interested:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/Books/Legacies.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/Books/Legacies2.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/Books/Legacies-LimPage2.jpg

Randall Flagg
01-20-2011, 12:10 PM
King's "large" signature is very interesting and cool.

Fsmdr
01-20-2011, 06:27 PM
You can tell that King signed it years ago as his more recent signatures are smaller and the King in his signature is more like 'Kig' now.

jhanic
01-20-2011, 07:04 PM
I never noticed that, Juliana. Good catch!

John

Brice
01-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Now we need Brian to tell us when the King sig was done exactly.

Brian James Freeman
01-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Now we need Brian to tell us when the King sig was done exactly.

I don't know exact dates, but I do know all of the sheets had already been signed before I was hired in June of 2002.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

east-tennessee
01-20-2011, 07:33 PM
The sig is somewhat similar to this one on the Insomnia print.
I believe these were done in 1996.

http://i.ebayimg.com/16/!C!mO-4gBmk~$(KGrHqN,!jkE0C2Pdz7dBNDqG6zdv!~~_3.JPG

MLG
01-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Brian, George Clayton Johnson wrote 2006 below his signature. I assumed that was when he signed. Did he need to re-sign some?

Brian James Freeman
01-21-2011, 05:07 AM
Brian, George Clayton Johnson wrote 2006 below his signature. I assumed that was when he signed. Did he need to re-sign some?

Yeah, I have a vague memory of one or two batches of sheets for certain authors needing to be re-signed after a failed binding attempt, but I can't pinpoint which ones at this point. Sounds like GCJ had to be one of them, though!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Pasiuk57
01-21-2011, 05:15 AM
Brian
were all of The Passage without slipcases?
Or just certain numbers?

ELazansky
01-21-2011, 05:29 AM
I got an email from CD asking if I wanted to buy a slipcase for The Passage, which I did.

Brian James Freeman
01-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Brian
were all of The Passage without slipcases?
Or just certain numbers?

The slipcases were leftovers from another project, and they just happened to fit The Passage, so we offered them to anyone who had preordered the book from us. They were sold on a first come, first served basis.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Brian James Freeman
01-21-2011, 07:30 AM
In case you missed it, Jerome has posted the first of several items CD donated for auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200567243961

Keep watching these auctions because there's at least one super cool item coming that we think you're really going to be excited about!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Randall Flagg
01-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Cemetery dance has been very very generous. I am very grateful to Richard Chizmar, Brian Freeman and the entire staff at Cemetery Dance.
The next auction item should be a mind blower. I know Patrick and I are practically drooling over it (not literally, don't want to damage it).
<--------------------------Loves a great tease.:P

CRinVA
01-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Ahhh to be "in the know!" :-)

shnnrc01
01-21-2011, 08:28 AM
sounds great,cant wait!

Randall Flagg
01-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Tease #1:

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7860/tease1t.jpg

DanHocker
01-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Tease #1:

Oh man that's cruel..... (says the guy that's "In the Know")

Dan Hocker
danhocker@cemeterydance.com
http://www.cemeterydance.com

Fsmdr
01-21-2011, 09:59 AM
It's a shoe horn!. :wtf:

Brian James Freeman
01-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Tease #1:

The terrible photo I took looks almost heavenly when you crop it like that! (This item was really hard to photograph -- so shiny and reflective!)

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

biomieg
01-21-2011, 10:13 AM
This item was really hard to photograph -- so shiny and reflective!

Say no more. The next item is an asbestos FIRESTARTER.

If we guess what it is, do we get it for free? :evil:

Randall Flagg
01-21-2011, 10:13 AM
I have decided to have a little fun.
Look for a "Sneak Preview" thread coming soon with a photo puzzle.:P

MLG
01-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Based on the photo I am guessing a Lettered Riding the Bullet.

ELazansky
01-21-2011, 10:26 AM
It definitely looks like a softcover book from that picture...a proof/ARC maybe?

Randall Flagg
01-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Looks can be deceiving. Images can be manipulated.

Brian James Freeman
01-21-2011, 10:52 AM
I should add that this is not something we normally would have "put up for sale" because of the nature of the item, but considering the awesome cause these auctions are raising money for, we thought it might generate some excitement among collectors... so I hope some lucky collector gives it a good home!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Merlin1958
01-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey cudo's to you Brian and all the folks at CD for joining in on this fund raiser, awesome!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

ELazansky
01-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Looks can be deceiving. Images can be manipulated.

They certainly could be edited - I'm sticking to my guess :)

Jimimck
01-21-2011, 12:24 PM
I very much agree, well done to CD for getting in behind the cause.

Brian James Freeman
01-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Donating some cool items is the *easy* part of any fundraising project like this. Doing all of the leg work like listing the auctions, chasing the money, etc, is the heavy lifting! We're just happy to contribute something.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Brian James Freeman
01-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Here is the preview thread for anyone who is curious to see more before the auction goes live:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11935-2011-Auction-Item-3-Sneak-Preview

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Jimimck
01-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Brian, a friend of mine in NZ picked up copies of SOD Vol2 and Riding th Bullet from Amazon, and of course both arrived without slipcases. Is there any chance CD has some available for purchase?
Thanks

Brian James Freeman
01-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Brian, a friend of mine in NZ picked up copies of SOD Vol2 and Riding th Bullet from Amazon, and of course both arrived without slipcases. Is there any chance CD has some available for purchase?
Thanks

We didn't expect to have extras cases, but the warehouse told me this morning that we might have a few extras when all is said and done. Please have your friend email me and I'll see what I can do!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Jimimck
01-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Excellent, thanks Brian. I just sent him your email address.

Merlin1958
01-21-2011, 02:40 PM
If CD can't help get a case from Dolso, the one-handed, wooden slipcase wonder!!!!

Jimimck
01-21-2011, 02:52 PM
If CD can't help get a case from Dolso, the one-handed, wooden slipcase wonder!!!!

Good thinking 99

Patrick
01-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks

We didn't expect to have extras cases, but the warehouse told me this morning that we might have a few extras when all is said and done. Please have your friend email me and I'll see what I can do!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman
Since this non-member bought his book from Amazon instead of from you, maybe you should put the slipcase in the auction and have him bid on it for charity. :D

just kidding

Sir_Boomme
01-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Hey Brian,
I've proposed an offer for you guys in the random comments thread. missed out on that Legacies limited - can't be having that happen again. ;)

MLG
01-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Two copies of Legacies have been listed on ebay. It will be interesting to see what they get.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEGACY-RICHARD-CHIZMAR-STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-RARE-138-/280618966068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4156319c34#ht_1236wt_905

http://cgi.ebay.com/Legacies-Richard-Chizmar-Signed-Stephen-King-Limited-/260726616580?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item3cb4847204#ht_1181wt_1139

Not sure if I have the links correct.

Brian James Freeman
01-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Stories From the Plague Years by Michael Marano sold out last night, just NINE days after it was published, which means the one copy we have posted on eBay is also our last copy:

http://www.CemeteryDanceAuctions.com

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

MLG
01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Brian,
Do you guys have an estimated ship date for In Laymons Terms?

Cloysterpete
01-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Brian,

Is this title the only one you still have that's had a long delay?, because I remember last year you had a great many books that were years overdue, but you've been steadily catching up with all the outstanding titles.

Brian James Freeman
01-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Brian,

Not yet, but I will post when I have more info! :)

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

MLG
01-24-2011, 10:24 AM
The long delayed CD books that I have on order are

Centuries Best Horror
15 Year Celebration (Name Change Pending)
In Laymons Terms
Dark Delicacies
Shocklines: Fresh Voices in Terror
The Horror Hall of Fame: The Stoker Winners

There are a few others but those are the biggies. I asked about the Laymon book because it is listed a coming soon. I am looking forward to 2011 being as productive from CD as 2010 was!

Bev Vincent
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Shocklines: Fresh Voices in Terror Is this one still under development? I submitted to it a LONG, LONG time ago, ultimately withdrew my submission and published the story elsewhere. I don't think I even knew it was going to be a Cemetery Dance book at the time I submitted to the editor.

MLG
01-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Bev,

CD actually had an update on this one recently including a cover photo. I will include the link:
http://www.cemeterydance.com/sh/chizmar06.html
The key to me is 'We expect to publish this title in 2011'

pixiedark76
01-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Brian do you have a shipping date for Full Dark No Stars slipcase?

Brian James Freeman
01-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Brian do you have a shipping date for Full Dark No Stars slipcase?

The aftermarket case for the trade edition? Let me check with the slipcase maker on that one. He's our "other" case maker that we use for smaller runs (100 to 200 units), and he was closed for all of December, so I know he wasn't able to start it until this month. I will check and let you know what he's up to!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

idlewarnings
01-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Brian,
That black galley of FD, NS has me wondering about something--when you guys do a limited edition of a book from another publisher how do you get the manuscript? Does King's office send you an electronic copy? Does it come from Scribner? Is the manuscript considered closed to changes when you get it? Does the black galley get used mainly to check formatting and desktop publishing or are you still checking for typos, spelling, etc.?

Brian James Freeman
01-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Brian,
That black galley of FD, NS has me wondering about something--when you guys do a limited edition of a book from another publisher how do you get the manuscript? Does King's office send you an electronic copy? Does it come from Scribner? Is the manuscript considered closed to changes when you get it? Does the black galley get used mainly to check formatting and desktop publishing or are you still checking for typos, spelling, etc.?

The general answer is: sometimes we receive a manuscript from the author and sometimes we purchase a file from the New York publisher -- it often depends when we get the rights for the book.

If the New York publisher hasn't started production yet, we'll both receive the manuscript from the author and copyedit it independently. You might find slight differences between the editions in this case. No manuscript comes in 100% clean, and we always send anything we catch to the other publisher, just to make sure they notice it, too.

If we get the rights "late in the game" and the New York publisher has finished their production work, we can usually arrange to purchase a copy of their final, copyedited text for a fee. This is also the case when the author's original manuscript has undergone a lot of copyediting and changes after he or she turned it in. Sometimes you just have to wait for the New York publisher's file to be ready because too much has changed. We still have to proofread the book, of course, because we designed a completely new edition and you never know what'll happen during that process -- glitches can occur. Plus no one's proofreaders are perfect, so you just want to be sure something didn't slip through!

We've also had many projects over the years where we published the book as a Limited Edition and then a New York publisher acquired the mass market rights and asked about getting our designed files to "jump start" their production to save a few steps. That is also very common.

I hope this information is helpful!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

idlewarnings
01-24-2011, 06:25 PM
That's very interesting. It never occurred to me that you would have to pay for the publisher's file, but I guess it makes sense if they have a lot of time invested in proofing and editing the original manuscript. Thanks for the info, Brian.

Sir_Boomme
01-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Plus no one's proofreaders are perfect, so you just want to be sure something didn't slip through!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman
Let me volunteer my services as a proofreader, I promise to be perfect. Note: I made all A's in English / Literature in high school and college.... and as most on here can attest... I'm very anal retentive.

Just send all those proofs my way and I'll help you guys out (I'm very affordable).:thumbsup:

Patrick
01-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Me too am a good reader! Send the prooves to me!

JasonUK
01-25-2011, 12:50 AM
The long delayed CD books that I have on order are

Centuries Best Horror
15 Year Celebration (Name Change Pending)
In Laymons Terms
Dark Delicacies
Shocklines: Fresh Voices in Terror
The Horror Hall of Fame: The Stoker Winners

There are a few others but those are the biggies. I asked about the Laymon book because it is listed a coming soon. I am looking forward to 2011 being as productive from CD as 2010 was!

Don't forget Clive Barker: The Dark Fantastic: The Authorized Biography, which I also consider a biggie considering I paid $400 for a lettered edition 10 years ago.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-25-2011, 04:06 AM
I have lots on order, but they are all lettered edition, so I might have a long wait!

Sir_Boomme
01-25-2011, 07:49 AM
:wtf: :rofl:

Brice
01-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Plus no one's proofreaders are perfect, so you just want to be sure something didn't slip through!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman
Let me volunteer my services as a proofreader, I promise to be perfect. Note: I made all A's in English / Literature in high school and college.... and as most on here can attest... I'm very anal retentive.

Just send all those proofs my way and I'll help you guys out (I'm very affordable).:thumbsup:

Patrick: :lol:

I'm a tenth grade dropout and I can't recall the last book in which I didn't find typos or grammatical errors. I too am available for proofing/editing. :D I am free. I'll just neglect to return books.

Ari_Racing
01-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Received today!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs050.snc6/168026_496638468525_105589808525_6213775_5295583_n .jpg

Only one is mine.

jhanic
01-25-2011, 12:43 PM
WOW!!

John

idlewarnings
01-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Great pic, Ari.

east-tennessee
01-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Wow is right!!!

Congrats, Ari......

carlosdetweiller
01-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Would you say that is a "handful" of books? More than a handful? Less?

Sir_Boomme
01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
that counts for more than a handful, it's more of a boocootie of books.

Ari must be the south american outlet mall for CD

Room 217 Caretaker
01-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Ari on the street corner slowly opening his coat-

Psssst......want to buy a book

Sir_Boomme
01-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Ari... on the corner in a BIG shag hat and lots of bling - hey mister, want a good time? - try one of these...
Pimp those books Ari!

Ari_Racing
01-25-2011, 03:02 PM
LOL!!!! :D :D :D

Cloysterpete
01-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Who the heck is getting the rest of those Ari?, I never knew King has so many fans in Argentina!.

Would be interesting to know just how many copies went out to which countries, how big is the US to foreign split?, 70/30, or more like 90/10?.

Ari_Racing
01-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Actually, the spanish publisher of Stephen King gave to me and a friend (and also translator of King's books in Spain and Latam) the management of the official Facebook group, which has already more than 8700 fans. So it's easy to promote some books. ;)

Also, I'm also part of a local store dedicated to Stephen King. We sold the book there as well.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Which one is yours?

Ricky
01-25-2011, 05:05 PM
You really don't need all those, Ari, right? I mean, it would be pretty rude of me if I didn't offer to take a couple off your hands. You know, because I'm a good person. :)

Patrick
01-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Actually, the Spanish publisher of Stephen King gave to me and a friend (and also translator of King's books in Spain and Latam) the management of the official Facebook group, which has already more than 8700 fans. So it's easy to promote some books. ;)

Also, I'm also part of a local store dedicated to Stephen King. We sold the book there as well.
I did not know these things.

You might as well post a link to this Facebook group so we can all practice our Spanish. :D

Ari_Racing
01-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Sure!

It's http://www.facebook.com/todostephenking