PDA

View Full Version : Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn! The Lovecraft thread

mae
10-10-2008, 11:19 AM
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/32940000/32941821.jpg

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/HP-Lovecraft/H-P-Lovecraft/e/9781435107939/

In the 1920s and ‘30s, H.P. Lovecraft pioneered a new type of weird fiction that fused elements of supernatural horror with the concepts of visionary science fiction. Lovecraft’s tales of cosmic horror revolutionized modern horror fiction and earned him the reputation as the most influential American writer of weird tales since Edgar Allan Poe.

This omnibus collects for the first time in a single volume all of Lovecraft’s groundbreaking fiction: “The Call of Cthulhu,” “The Dreams in the Witch House,” “The Haunter of the Dark,” “At the Mountains of Madness,” “The Shadow out of Time,” “The Shadow over Innsmouth,” the full-length novels The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, and many others.

H.P. Lovecraft: The Fiction is part of Barnes & Noble’s Library of Essential Writers. Each title in the series presents the finest works—complete and unabridged—from one of the greatest writers in literature in magnificent, elegantly designed hardback editions. Every volume also includes an original introduction that provides the reader with enlightening information on the writer’s life and works.

Publisher: Barnes & Noble
Pub. Date: October 2008
ISBN-13: 9781435107939
1120pp
$12.95

Wuducynn
10-10-2008, 11:46 AM
:drool::drool::drool::drool:

I'm buying it.

MonteGss
10-10-2008, 11:49 AM
I've never read any Lovecraft. I think I will buy this too! :thumbsup:

idk, my bff jill?
10-10-2008, 12:12 PM
/gasp

And it's so inexpensive!

I wish there were a Barnes & Noble here. :[

Hopefully it's the same price in Borders.

mae
10-10-2008, 12:26 PM
/gasp

And it's so inexpensive!

I wish there were a Barnes & Noble here. :[

Hopefully it's the same price in Borders.

But you can order online.

idk, my bff jill?
10-10-2008, 12:31 PM
But you can order online.

Yeah, but I hate having to pay extra for shipping, and I enjoy buying books in person, holding them, skimming through them, and being able to read them as soon as I get home.

But if it's expensive at Borders, I'll probably end up buying it online. =)

jhanic
10-10-2008, 12:47 PM
That's a REALLY good price. I've read all of Lovecraft already, and I sold all my Arkham House books a year or so ago, but I just may pick this up!

John

bluelph24
10-11-2008, 09:46 AM
bn now has an exact release date: 10/18. so a week to release

on a side not, is the complete in the title of this book a reference to a complete collection of lovecraft or is the complete a refernce to the completeness of the items included in the book?

Woofer
10-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Looks like I need to show this to Mr. Woofer. http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/innocentgrin.gif

Brice
10-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I need this now, even though I believe I've read all his stories.

mae
10-11-2008, 10:15 PM
bn now has an exact release date: 10/18. so a week to release

on a side not, is the complete in the title of this book a reference to a complete collection of lovecraft or is the complete a refernce to the completeness of the items included in the book?

It is complete, in a sense that this is all of the fiction he wrote. There are more stories that he wrote in collaboration with others, or stories he revised for others, and one such I think is included here. Rumor has it there will be another book collecting these collaborations and revisions, but as far as original fiction, this is all of it.

mae
10-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Just called my local BN and they have a whopping one copy in. Asked to set it aside and will pick it up on the way home tonight. :rock:

mae
10-16-2008, 07:39 AM
This is a great book, guys. I highly recommend you get one. For thirteen bucks you can't go wrong.

Wuducynn
10-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Of course it's a great book, it's all of Howard Phillips Lovecraft's works. How can it NOT be great??:harrier:

From "The Call of Cthulhu" - "It seemed to be a sort of monster, or symbol representing a monster, of a form which only a diseased fancy could conceive. If I say that my somewhat extravagant imagination yielded simultaneous pictures of an octopus, a dragon, and a human caricature, I shall not be unfaithful to the spirit of the thing. A pulpy, tentacled head surmounted a grotesque and scaly body with rudimentary wings; but it was the general outline of the whole which made it most shockingly frightful."

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn." ... "In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

bluelph24
10-16-2008, 03:07 PM
my bn didn't have it.....so i ordered it:P

CyberGhostface
10-21-2008, 04:44 PM
I've never read an H.P. Lovecraft story before...:doh: Would it be overwhelming for all of them at once?

Wuducynn
10-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I've never read an H.P. Lovecraft story before...:doh: Would it be overwhelming for all of them at once?

Since I don't know you much, I can't say. But since you're a Tower Junkie, I'd say that you'd probably do better than most. Especially since King lists Lovecraft as one of (if not his most) important influence in writing. King's done several stories in homage to Lovecraft's work. Jerusalem's Lot being a big one.

jhanic
10-21-2008, 05:13 PM
I'd take them rather slowly. Lovecraft is more of an acquired taste than a really "popular" writer. Don't forget most of his stuff was written in the '20s and '30s. He has almost no dialogue in his stories either. But the imagination he shows is MAGNIFICENT!

John

CyberGhostface
10-21-2008, 07:06 PM
How hard is Lovecraft to read? Say, compared to Shakespeare, Dickens, Poe, etc.

Wuducynn
10-21-2008, 07:13 PM
I think he is very easy to read, but I've been reading his works a long time so I'm not objective.

mae
10-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Lovecraft uses archaic words somewhat often, but otherwise he writes exceptionally well. So read by a computer if you can, so you could peek at Wiktionary (en.wiktionary.org) in case you need to.

If anyone hasn't yet read any Lovecraft, this is the best book to get. It's very cheap, and contains everything.

By the way, Stephen King's recent short story (novella?) "N." is said to be Lovecraftian. I haven't watched the online series; waiting for the book.

mae
03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
There will be a second edition published by Barnes & Noble to correct the myriad of typos (http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/47876-errata-for-the-b-and-n-volume.html) that crept up into the text. It will be the definitive textual presentation of these stories when it's published.

Daghain
03-23-2009, 12:59 PM
It's Barnes & Noble. They'll never fix all the typos. It's like a rule or something. :lol:

mae
03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
The texts were meticulously combed for errors, check the link I provided. They all will be taken into account and will comprise the complete definitive texts once and for all.

Daghain
03-23-2009, 01:23 PM
It's not that I doubt you, I've just seen B&N's work before.

Frankly, they should have combed it the first time. :D

I had a copy of Middlemarch, I think, that had a bazillion typos AND a "repeat" of about 30 or so pages in it. Amazing.

mae
03-23-2009, 01:39 PM
And that's why they're dirt cheap.

Daghain
03-23-2009, 01:42 PM
True. That's why I didn't run back to B&N to complain. You get what you pay for. :D

Woofer
03-24-2009, 03:56 AM
I'm driving to the next town over to get this on Saturday. They're holding it for me. Rah!

mae
03-29-2009, 11:32 AM
There is a pretty cool-looking comic being released very soon, based on Lovecraft himself and his fiction:

http://www.lovecraftcomic.com/trailer.php

Brice
03-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Lovecraft and dear Cthulu :wub:

alinda
03-31-2009, 09:07 AM
::nods approvingly:: yep, I have so very little knowledge on this subject
I could learn a lot from a thread such as this....I believe I will go read it then!:wtf:

Brice
03-31-2009, 09:09 AM
:o You've never read Lovecraft, Linda? You must.

alinda
03-31-2009, 09:13 AM
OK, read the thread, now I will go get this book, and read it too.
I admit I have not read all HP Lovecraft's works, so it will now
be a cinch to do so, then I may even feel somewhat qualified to
join in any discussion that may ensue here....:P

Brice
03-31-2009, 09:15 AM
Lovecraft is an absolute must read, Linda. :D

alinda
03-31-2009, 09:16 AM
I believe that many years ago, I began his stories, and let them fall away.
I couldn't tell you why at this point, I think I have read one or two, I now
will buy the book in question in that thread and try again.I do not even have a book
in the works right now (shockingly disappointing I know) my life is in need of a good book!

Brice
03-31-2009, 09:21 AM
I am reading a couple Lovecraft anthologies now...not exclusively Lovecraft, but many of his contemporaries and those who've since decided to take on the Cthulu Mythos..

Daghain
03-31-2009, 09:36 AM
I have that massive book, but have yet to start it. :panic:

Brice
03-31-2009, 09:39 AM
You must, you must, you must. :dance: I have seperate volumes which are far less daunting and intimidating.

Daghain
03-31-2009, 09:47 AM
I'll probably read it simultaneously with other books. That way I can do it a bit at a time. :D

Brice
03-31-2009, 09:49 AM
That's usually how I do short story collections/anthologies too.

Jean
03-31-2009, 09:53 AM
PLEASE EVERYBODY READ LOVECRAFT!!!!!!!!!! He is one of the finest, subtlest, most accomplished, and at the same time most powerful and imaginative authors that have ever written!

alinda
03-31-2009, 10:09 AM
I am searching my library, and cant find any, perhaps I had borrowed what I quite remember reading before! I simply must read some , now where to find some now?:wtf:

Brice
03-31-2009, 10:11 AM
PLEASE EVERYBODY READ LOVECRAFT!!!!!!!!!! He is one of the finest, subtlest, most accomplished, and at the same time most powerful and imaginative authors that have ever written!

qft

Have you met his contemporaries yet, Jean? The other writers who wrote for weird tales and such who contributed to the Cthulu Mythos (which Lovecraft encouraged).

Patrick
03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
I don't recall that I have ever actually read anything by Lovecraft. I would not know where to start.

Darkthoughts
04-01-2009, 01:16 AM
I've only read one of his stories, it was along time ago and was something to do with people worshipping some weird god type thing in a city...reminded me of Lud when I read DT for the first time.

Woofer
04-04-2009, 02:17 AM
I'll have to watch the trailer after Mr. Woofer wakes.

I second Brice's declaration that good old HPL is a must-read.

I got my book last weekend and found a complete EAP to boot. The EAP has the coolest fucking cover. Join me in drooling over this:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/26250000/26253579.jpg

The back is completely covered in the rivulets of blood, with a raven in the bottom right corner.

Brice
04-04-2009, 02:47 AM
I'll have to watch the trailer after Mr. Woofer wakes.

I second Brice's declaration that good old HPL is a must-read.

I got my book last weekend and found a complete EAP to boot. The EAP has the coolest fucking cover. Join me in drooling over this:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/26250000/26253579.jpg

The back is completely covered in the rivulets of blood, with a raven in the bottom right corner.

Yours is nicer than my Poe though mine has the different text.

Jean
04-04-2009, 04:04 AM

qft

Have you met his contemporaries yet, Jean? The other writers who wrote for weird tales and such who contributed to the Cthulu Mythos (which Lovecraft encouraged).
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif
I read at least a couple of stories that now as I look at them seem absolutely Lovecraftian, but I don't remember the authors. Who could they be?

Brice
04-04-2009, 06:06 AM

qft

I read at least a couple of stories that now as I look at them seem absolutely Lovecraftian, but I don't remember the authors. Who could they be?

Well, HPL's influence is so extensive on modern horror they really could be any of many authors. I'll compile a list for you though.

mae
04-04-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't recall that I have ever actually read anything by Lovecraft. I would not know where to start.

Well, the book at the beginning at this thread is all you need.

Woofer
04-04-2009, 09:42 AM

Literally.

Brice
04-07-2009, 03:58 AM

qft

Well, HPL's influence is so extensive on modern horror they really could be any of many authors. I'll compile a list for you though.

August Derleth (who published quite alot of Lovecraft's works along with many of his contemporaries; he was not one of the great ones IMO, who dabbled in the Cthulu Mythos, but he was good and a personal friend of Lovecraft's whom he admired to some degree)

Clark Ashton Smith
Manly Wade Wellman
Fritz Leiber
Robert Bloch (author of Psycho among many others)
Robert E. Howard (Conan writer: in fact if you read some of the original Conan stories they have some connections to Lovecraft's Cthulu Mythos)
There are more I'm forgetting I'm sure. Maybe I'll have a look around when I get home.

Some of Lovecraft's own influences were Lord Dunsany, Algernon Blackwood, Arthur Machen, Robert W. Chambers, and Gertrude Bennet(t?). If you're interested in who influenced Lovecraft though and which authors impressed him you should read Supernatural Horror In Literature by Lovecraft. I discovered some really good horror writers with this book.

Literally.

Then the question becomes with what story/stories?

My preference for a starting point is Polaris.

I've only read one of his stories, it was along time ago and was something to do with people worshipping some weird god type thing in a city...reminded me of Lud when I read DT for the first time.

You could have gotten that impression from quite a few of his stories. You really should read some.

Woofer
04-07-2009, 04:17 AM

qft

August Derleth (who published quite alot of Lovecraft's works along with many of his contemporaries; he was not one of the great ones IMO, who dabbled in the Cthulu Mythos, but he was good and a personal friend of Lovecraft's whom he admired to some degree)

Clark Ashton Smith
Manly Wade Wellman
Fritz Leiber
Robert E. Howard (Conan writer: in fact if you read some of the original Conan stories they have some connections to Lovecraft's Cthulu Mythos)
There are more I'm forgetting I'm sure. Maybe I'll have a look around when I get home.

Some of Lovecraft's own influences were Lord Dunsany, Algernon Blackwood, Arthur Machen, Robert W. Chambers, and Gertrude Bennet(t?). If you're interested in who influenced Lovecraft though and which authors impressed him you should read Supernatural Horror In Literature by Lovecraft. I discovered some really good horror writers with this book.

Literally.

You could have gotten that impression from quite a few of his stories. You really should read some.

What Brice said, my fellow horror nerd, Lovecraftian freak, and Poe pupae. :couple: :huglove:

In addition to Brice's suggestion of "Polaris", may I also recommend the following first few stories:

The Cats of Ulthar
The Statement of Randolph Carter
The Call of Cthulhu
At the Mountains of Madness
Herbert West-Reanimator

Brice
04-07-2009, 04:34 AM

qft

Clark Ashton Smith
Manly Wade Wellman
Fritz Leiber

Literally.

What Brice said, my fellow horror nerd, Lovecraftian freak, and Poe pupae. :couple: :huglove:

In addition to Brice's suggestion of "Polaris", may I also recommend the following first few stories:

The Cats of Ulthar
The Statement of Randolph Carter
The Call of Cthulhu
At the Mountains of Madness
Herbert West-Reanimator

Some great suggestions, but my preference when recommending stories to new Lovecraft readers is with the pre-Mythos dream cycle though of course there is some overlap there. Ultimately though it doesn't really matter where you start I suppose. His every word was brilliant.

Woofer
04-07-2009, 05:11 AM
*nod* That's a good course of reading. My approach is to throw out a sampling of different lengths and types, so the new reader can see the variance in his work. I think that our dual-pronged approach should net us (insert Dagon joke here) a few more Lovecraftian devotees.

Brice
04-07-2009, 05:14 AM
*nod* That's a good course of reading. My approach is to throw out a sampling of different lengths and types, so the new reader can see the variance in his work. I think that our dual-pronged approach should net us (insert Dagon joke here) a few more Lovecraftian devotees.

Pretty soon they'll all be eagerly waiting for cthulu to eat their souls...along with the rest of them suffering a slow agonizing death. :dance: :grouphug:

alinda
04-07-2009, 05:14 AM
I have a copy now of 48 stories courtesy of a dear bear we know!!:drool:
I will commence reading in a few minutes, and return with my thoughts !

Thanks Jean!

mae
04-07-2009, 05:38 AM

Literally.

Begin at page one ;)

flaggwalkstheline
04-07-2009, 07:09 AM
My favorite Lovecraft stories are The Shadow over Innsmouth, its companion story The Thing On the Doorstep and The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward

alinda
04-07-2009, 07:31 AM
1st story is very enjoyable so far, nicely written, mayhap I need to mature to appreciate his style.:)

Brice
04-07-2009, 07:33 AM
...or it may take a couple more stories. I suggest you pick short ones. Order really doesn't matter so much.

mae
04-07-2009, 07:57 AM
I wonder if we can't come up with a definitive list of King works with Lovecraft influences and/or mentions.

I am reading It at the moment, and King mentions Lovecraft when describing Boston in the early morning.

alinda
04-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Brice my sweet, have you a recommendation then?
I have checked the e-book file and it appears I have no
listing of what the 48 stories are, I could carefully scroll
down the pages , but alas I a so lazy!:wtf:

Brice
04-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Polaris

alinda
04-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks , I'll take a look see if it's one in the file ;)

Brice
04-07-2009, 08:43 AM
:thumbsup: It may not be his best (though I like it alot), but it's always seemed to me to be somewhat more accessable.

Woofer
04-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I wonder if we can't come up with a definitive list of King works with Lovecraft influences and/or mentions.

I am reading It at the moment, and King mentions Lovecraft when describing Boston in the early morning.

With the collective King knowledge on this site, I think we'll be able to tackle that.

Off the top of my head:
IT - (what's the exact reference you meant, pablo?)
IT - Some of the images in the "smoke house" scene are Lovecraftian.
The Dark Tower series - Creatures of the prim
The Dark Tower series - Use of term "The Great Old Ones"
"Crouch End" - It's a Lovecraft tribute, specifically as part of a collection of modern Cthulhu mythos tales
"The Mist" - Possibly a rip in the fabric between universes / thinny allowed the massive monsters to enter our world.
From a Buick 8 - Something in this reminds me of a Moon Beast from Lovecraft.

Countless direct comments referring to "something out of Lovecraft" or the like. We will need to go through each piece individually to document this properly. There is also a lot of Lovecraftian imagery that we could count.

Jean
04-07-2009, 11:04 PM

Clark Ashton Smith
Manly Wade Wellman
Fritz Leiber

I read some Bloch, and liked him, although would have never made any mental connection between him and Lovecraft - the styles are too radically different, and Bloch kinda stands on his own feet. As far as Howard is concerned, I tried to read him, and failed - his writing, say sorry, seemed pathetic to the bear... And of course, I read Machen - thanks to King and you personally - who is absolutely brilliant. I think I'll have a look at the rest of them. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Thanks Jean!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gif

Darkthoughts
04-08-2009, 06:06 AM
The one I was talking about was a short story. I don't recall it exactly, but it involved some strange carnival like procession and drums that were like the god drums in Lud...I'll have to have a look through my books and see if I can find it...

mae
04-08-2009, 06:42 AM
IT - (what's the exact reference you meant, pablo?)

The beginning of Chapter 7.

alinda
04-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Such great imagery of the mind. Wonderful phrasing and terrific terror!
I may indeed be able to comment further soon. Thanks again , for the
books Jean. :huglove:

Brice
04-08-2009, 08:55 AM

Clark Ashton Smith
Manly Wade Wellman
Fritz Leiber

I read some Bloch, and liked him, although would have never made any mental connection between him and Lovecraft - the styles are too radically different, and Bloch kinda stands on his own feet. As far as Howard is concerned, I tried to read him, and failed - his writing, say sorry, seemed pathetic to the bear... And of course, I read Machen - thanks to King and you personally - who is absolutely brilliant. I think I'll have a look at the rest of them. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Thanks Jean!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gif

Oh, yeah...as far as Bloch goes (while he's great on his own) here you'd be looking for strictly short stories ( oftentimes they have lovecraft like titles even and were published by Arkham House: Lovecraft's publisher) I think for the most part. The same is true with Howard. Here we are talking stories with direct connections to lovecraft's world. Lovecraft and these author's directly and intentionally referenced things in each other's stories. I could list more, but this'll get you started nicely. Or I suppose I could list specific stories. :unsure:

Lisa, it's really not ringing a bell. Sorry! :( I'm no expert though. Alot of writers have written stories with connection to Lovecraft. I'd even go so far as to say most of modern horror owes some debt to him.

And today I just recieved my early birthday present to myself- a first edition Tales Of The Cthulu Mythos.:dance:

Woofer
04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
The one I was talking about was a short story. I don't recall it exactly, but it involved some strange carnival like procession and drums that were like the god drums in Lud...I'll have to have a look through my books and see if I can find it...

Are you thinking of "The Festival"? I adore that story.

DoctorDodge
04-08-2009, 09:38 AM
I've only started becoming interested in Lovecraft recently, but i do love the short stories i've read so far. The Statemen of Randolph Carter certainly gave me the creeps!

I must say that, although i haven't read much of his work, i have seen a LOT of references recently. A couple of Doctor Who Expanded Universe have explicitly connected some of the monsters in the show with some of the Old Ones in the Lovecraft mythology, and in a comic strip in 2000AD set in Victorian times, there were several slight injokes, most notably a book in one panel clearly labelled "Necronomicon". So his impact is certainly undeniable!

Woofer
04-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Yes, that's a particularly good story.

Empath of the White
04-24-2009, 12:07 PM
The Hellboy movie and comics got me into Lovecraft. I've got the "Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre" collection, with fantastic cover art by Michael Whelan. I understand there's a few of his stories involving a character named Randolph Carter, and one fantasy tale called "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath."

Is there any book out that collects all the Carter stories along with Dream Quest?

mae
04-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Take a look at the first post of this thread. The book in question collects everything by Lovecraft.

blaineworshipper
04-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I read 'The Moon Bog' by him quite a while ago and really enjoyed it. When the Necronomicon (sp?) came into Waterstones during Christmas, it was really only a matter of time until I got it...I finally gave into temptation a couple of days ago. I can't wait to have time to actually read it!

flaggwalkstheline
04-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Honestly the Simon-necronomicon was a big overhyped disappointment for me
I like the Tyson-Necronomicon alot more

blaineworshipper
04-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Really? Oh, damn. Ah well...it's more Lovecraft than I had before, and that can only be a good thing =D .

turtlex
07-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Just got a newsletter from here! tv which is a gay-themed pay-per-view channel. They have a new movie featured this coming month based on Cthulhu!!

Linkage: http://www.heretv.com/cthulhu/about

Wilbur
07-01-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm SOOOOOOOOO buying this book when i get paid! I've got the "Bloodcurdeling Tales" collection and i'm jonesin for more:excited::excited::excited:

Brice
07-02-2009, 05:06 AM
Just got a newsletter from here! tv which is a gay-themed pay-per-view channel. They have a new movie featured this coming month based on Cthulhu!!

Do they release their movies to video/dvd? :unsure:
I don't watch tv normally, but I suspect there's no way you'd get that channel here anyhow.

turtlex
07-02-2009, 05:07 AM

Do they release their movies to video/dvd? :unsure:
I don't watch tv normally, but I suspect there's no way you'd get that channel here anyhow.

Actually, Brice, yes - they do release a lot of their films on DVD. I get mine from amazon when they come out.

Comcast in my area carries here!, not sure about other places.

ETA : and it's already out on DVD... here's the linkage : Amazon.com: Cthulhu: Jason Cottle, Casey Curran, Ethan Atkinson, Patrick McKnight, Cara Buono, Dennis Kleinsmith, Joe Shapiro, Ruby Wood, Hunter Stroud, Keifer Grimm, Rob Hamm, Scott Patrick Green, Dan Gildark, Alexis Ferris, Anne Rosellini, Douglas Light, Grant Cogswell, H.P. Lovecraft: Movies & TV

Brice
07-02-2009, 05:50 AM
Awesome! Thank you! :couple: I will have to pick that up sometime soon. I love all things lovecraft. :D

I've heard of Comcast so maybe we have it here :unsure: , but as I said I really don't watch tv. If you added up all the time I've watched tv this year it might possibly equal about two hours. :lol:

jhanic
07-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Just a reminder, everyone. If you order it from Amazon, use the link at the bottom of this page--TDT.com gets some money!

John

uncle_whoopass
07-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Does anybody know If there is a nicely set-out definitive collection of all his works? Never seen one except the one which is apparently full of mis-prints and spelling errors. Love this guy, very over-looked in the modern world which is a crying shame.

CyberGhostface
07-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Does anybody know If there is a nicely set-out definitive collection of all his works? Never seen one except the one which is apparently full of mis-prints and spelling errors. Love this guy, very over-looked in the modern world which is a crying shame.

I think that's the only collection at the moment that has the majority of his works. I've heard that Penguin's put out some nice annotated editions though.

uncle_whoopass
07-24-2009, 05:03 AM

I think that's the only collection at the moment that has the majority of his works. I've heard that Penguin's put out some nice annotated editions though.

Thanks, will have to have a look :thumbsup:

F1racefan
07-24-2009, 09:33 AM
It looks like this book is out of print on BN. Ebay has them for $70. Any idea where I could get a copy at a reasonable price?

CyberGhostface
07-24-2009, 10:06 AM
It looks like this book is out of print on BN. Ebay has them for $70. Any idea where I could get a copy at a reasonable price?

Definitely don't get it for $70--I got mine for $12! I heard a second printing is being released soon, so you might want to wait for that. There's also a possibility that a local BN store might have one.

F1racefan
07-24-2009, 11:05 AM

Definitely don't get it for $70--I got mine for $12! I heard a second printing is being released soon, so you might want to wait for that. There's also a possibility that a local BN store might have one.

I hope you are right:rock: I just can't see paying anything close to $70.

turtlex
08-10-2009, 02:43 AM
Okay Cthulhu fans... available over at woot today ( Monday ) .... CTHULHU BBQ !!!

http://sale.images.woot.com/Cthulhu_BBQx8oDetail.png

To order : http://shirt.woot.com/

Brice
08-10-2009, 02:48 AM
I love it. :excited: Cthulhu!

turtlex
08-10-2009, 02:54 AM
Don't know if you all visit woot very much. It's one of my favorite sites and I check it daily for their sales and t-shirt. The best part though - is their write up on the item.

Now - woot shirts DO sell out frequently, so order early. They're $10 and that includes shipping.

This is todays description of the shirt :

Hey, August! Yeah, IAO IAO to you too, buddy! Listen, I just wanted to remind you about the cookout today. Right, I was setting out the potato salad and I figured maybe you forgot so… oh, there’s a pasta buffet at the Flying Spaghetti Monster’s place? No, no, I understand. You gotta network, right? It’s hard in the publishing world these days. Listen, it’s cool. We’ll get together next week or something. No, no problem at all, I’ll save you a burger. Right on. Talk to you soon.

James! Jimmy! It’s Tulu! Yeah, I just wanted to tell you, we had a few cancellations, so if you’re bringing any soda… oh. The pasta buffet. Yeah, I heard. No, no, I had that cookout thing today, I hadn’t heard about… yeah, it’s okay you forgot. We’re old buddies, right? We don’t have to see each other all the time! Listen, you have fun. No, I’m not jealous at all. He’s brand new, of course he gets all the attention. Look, I’ll just get someone else to get the soda. Hey, you too. Okay. Bye, James.

H.P.! My man, my man! Sounds like you’re in the car! I knew you’d be coming, you’re like my very best…. where? Aha. Ahaha. You’re a kidder! Of course we’re talking about my cookout! But I’m gonna need you to stop and pick up a two liter of… oh. The pasta buffet. No, no, I wasn’t actually invited. Yeah, all the nerds are there, I bet. They used to be here. But now they’re there. Well, I guess… I guess have fun, I guess. Maybe I’ll just wrap up all this meat and freeze it. No, no, you don’t have to come by later. No, don’t, I mean it. I probably will just go to sleep early anyway. No, it’s not depression, I’m just… just overworked. Yeah, I’m just gonna hang around ph’nglui mglw’nafh tonight, maybe listen to A Prairie Home Companion. But, you know, say hi to everyone there. It should be a real event. Okay, H.P. Okay. Bye. Yeah, soon, right. Soon.

Wear this shirt: when you don’t want to be described. For example, it’d be great in a police lineup. According to the Supreme Court, turning away screaming in terror is not a positive identification. Not even in Texas.

Don’t wear this shirt: when you don’t want to take any calls.

This shirt tells the world: “I’m really not that good when you first wake me up, I apologize in advance.”

mae
09-04-2009, 06:03 AM
If anybody's interested, Hippocampus Press (http://www.hippocampuspress.com/), a small press that publishes great limiteds of Lovecraft's essays and letters and such, is coming out with a limited edition (1,000 copies) of ST Joshi's biography of HPL, a massive work in two volumes. I have their five-volume Collected Essays of HPL and the two-volume collection of letters Essential Solitude; they make great quality books. Here's what their newsletter said about this upcoming book:

NEW AND IMPROVED LOVECRAFT BIOGRAPHY.
Yes, S. T. Joshi's revised and expanded HPL biography, I AM PROVIDENCE: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF H. P. LOVECRAFT is coming from Hippocampus, and we will initially make it available through an advance subscription. We envision this two volume set appearing in a limited hardcover edition of 1000 copies per volume. If any copies remain after the subscription period ends, they will be sold to the general public. Some sets will also be made available to our independent bookseller friends. We're not quite ready to start taking advance subscription orders, so please be patient.

mae
10-12-2009, 01:09 PM
It's available for pre-order now: http://www.hippocampuspress.com/lovecraft/i-am-providence.html

flaggwalkstheline
02-05-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm rather disturbed by the following news article i found on yahoo
http://blogs.static.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/46482.html

Apparently the plateau of leng exists right where lovecraft said it did:scared:

Brice
02-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Brice
05-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Okay, it occurs to me that there isn't really a Lovecraft thread. Am I wrong? I can't find one. Anyhow I purposely didn't put this in the book or movie forums any as my hope is that it be for ALL things Lovecraftian. To start us off I present:

http://tentaclii.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/nanocthulhu-lovecrafti-new-insect/

becca69
05-17-2012, 12:09 PM
That's really cool. Just watched the Cthulhu South Park episode - pretty hysterical!

Wait... I've always wanted to use this - :emot-cthulhu:

Brice
05-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Cthulhu South Park ep??? Tell me more. I didn't know there was one and as you will learn if you don't know already I'm a bit fanatical about Lovecraft.

mystima
05-17-2012, 12:18 PM
here is a fan made video from the 4 part episodes....yes they did 4 episodes....lol

http://youtu.be/riSt9lJz2vQ

Brice
05-17-2012, 12:47 PM
:excited:

becca69
05-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Yes, it is made of awesome!

Brice
05-17-2012, 01:03 PM
I MUST see the full eps. *goes to look on netflix*

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Just read The Horror in the Museum. I haven't read a lot of Lovecraft yet, but this has been my favorite so far.

Shannon
05-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Can someone educate me on what a Cthulhu is? I see it and and i know it had something to do with a squid monster thing.

becca69
05-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I just copied this:
Cthulhu is a monstrous entity who lies "dead but dreaming" in the city of R'lyeh, a place of non-Euclidean madness presently (and mercifully) sunken below the depths of the Pacific Ocean. Cthulhu appears in various monstrous and demonic forms in early myths of the human race. Racial memory preserves Him as humanity's most basic nightmare. Cthulhu is the high priest of the Great Old Ones, unnatural alien beings who ruled the Earth before humanity formed, worshipped as gods by some misguided people. It is said that They will return, causing worldwide insanity and mindless violence before finally displacing humanity forever.

It represented a monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopuslike head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind.

Brice
05-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Oh, yes...and he like hugs. :D

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-17-2012, 02:00 PM
There is also a Lovecraft NIGHT GALLERY episode, but you probably already knew that.

EDIT - I'm referring to the funny one with Carl Reiner, not the serious ones.

beam*seeker
05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Have any of you Lovecraft fans read this? (I was thinking of getting it)

http://www.amazon.com/Am-Providence-Times-Lovecraft-VOLUMES/dp/0982429673/ref=pd_sim_b_9

becca69
05-17-2012, 03:31 PM
There was also a Supernatural Lovecraft episode recently. I don't remember if it was season 6 or 7.

Brice
05-17-2012, 03:46 PM
There is also a Lovecraft NIGHT GALLERY episode, but you probably already knew that.

EDIT - I'm referring to the funny one with Carl Reiner, not the serious ones.

I believe I saw that one years back, but I'm not positive.

http://www.amazon.com/Am-Providence-Times-Lovecraft-VOLUMES/dp/0982429673/ref=pd_sim_b_9

Fantasstic book! One of my more recent reads. Simply the best lovecraft bio ever. Get it! You will not be disappointed.

There was also a Supernatural Lovecraft episode recently. I don't remember if it was season 6 or 7.

I've never seen Supernatural so I missed that.

Dan
05-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Recommend a good intro to Lovecraft book, please. I've been reading mystery novels so many years and have only really gotten into horror in the last year.

Brice
05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Hmmm... that's kinda' difficult. You can really start almost anywhere.

Merlin1958
05-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Oh, OK. I'm in on this thread if only for the "South Park" episode, which was "epic". I have enjoyed Lovecraft to a degree, but he is by no means on my top ten list. Sorry, Brice I know that's Blasphemy, but I have to be honest. One caveat, I really enjoyed "In the Mouth of Madness".

OchrisO
05-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Dan, there are a bunch of Lovecraft collection books in most book stores, so you can have a bunch of short stories to read(that's mostly what he wrote).

Some of my favorite short stories are:

The Call of Cthulhu(of course)
The Dunwich Horror
The Whisperer in Darkness
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Rats in the Walls
Herbert West–Reanimator
Nyarlathotep(because I love Crawling Chaos)
Dagon

One thing you should know if you are new to Lovecraft is that he was writing these in the very early part of the 1900s and the works are very much a product of their time. As a result, he uses a lot of racist terminology. Here is a bit copied from Wikipedia about it behind the spoiler tag. It is just something you should be aware of going in so it doesn't take you by surprise.
Race, ethnicity, and class

Racism is the most controversial aspect of Lovecraft’s works which “does not endear Lovecraft to the modern reader” and comes across through many disparaging remarks against the various non-Anglo-Saxon races and cultures within his work. Lovecraft did not seem to hold all White people in high regard, but rather he held English people and people of English descent above all others.[24][25][26] While his racist perspective is undeniable, some critics argue that it does not necessarily detract from his ability to create compelling philosophical worlds which have inspired many artists and readers.[12][26] In his writings and personal life he argued for a strong color line for the purpose of preserving race and culture.[12][24][25][27] These arguments occurred either through direct statements against different races in his work and personal correspondence,[10][12][24][25][26] or allegorically in his work using non-human races.[17][24][28][29] Reading Lovecraft's work, his racial attitude was seen as more cultural than biological, showing sympathy to others who assimilated into the western culture and even marrying a Jew whom he viewed as "well assimilated".[12][24][25][29] While Lovecraft's racial attitude has been seen as directly influenced by the time, a reflection of the New England society he grew up in,[24][25][26][30][31] this racism appeared stronger than the popular viewpoints held at that time.[26][29] Some researchers note that his views failed to change in the face of increased scientific and social change of that time which invalidated many of his strongly held views.[12][24]

A friend bought me this for Christmas a few years ago and I put this picture on facebook with the tag "Cthulhu says your Santa Claus tasted good with ketchup.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/cthulhuxmas.jpg

Have you ever seen this Brice? I own it, but have only ever played it once. It has a bit of a learning curve and takes forever to set up, but it is fun. There are expansions and such for it now as well.
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=6&enmi=Arkham%20Horror

There are also some amazingly good comics that are based on Lovecraft's mythos that I LOVE called Fall of Cthulhu:
http://comics.wikia.com/wiki/The_Fall_of_Cthulhu

Brice
05-18-2012, 02:16 AM
Oh, OK. I'm in on this thread if only for the "South Park" episode, which was "epic". I have enjoyed Lovecraft to a degree, but he is by no means on my top ten list. Sorry, Brice I know that's Blasphemy, but I have to be honest. One caveat, I really enjoyed "In the Mouth of Madness".

:cry: Well, the ONLY real advantage to loving Lovecraft (aside from some brilliant stories) is this guy :emot-cthulhu: puts your soul a little furthur down on the menu. As a long time acolyte I will be one of the last to go. That doesn't mean I won't go too...just that I'll get to watch the rest of the fuckers get eaten first. :grouphug: In The Mouth Of Madness is brilliant. Lovecraft adaptations are rarely so good...or even close.

Dan, there are a bunch of Lovecraft collection books in most book stores, so you can have a bunch of short stories to read(that's mostly what he wrote).

Some of my favorite short stories are:

The Call of Cthulhu(of course)
The Dunwich Horror
The Whisperer in Darkness
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Rats in the Walls
Herbert West–Reanimator
Nyarlathotep(because I love Crawling Chaos)
Dagon

Some of my favorites are definitely there too...although there is a soft part in my heart for even his worst writing. Ok, some of the poetry and amateur journalism stuff just blows, but generally.

One thing you should know if you are new to Lovecraft is that he was writing these in the very early part of the 1900s and the works are very much a product of their time. As a result, he uses a lot of racist terminology. Here is a bit copied from Wikipedia about it behind the spoiler tag. It is just something you should be aware of going in so it doesn't take you by surprise.
Race, ethnicity, and class

Racism is the most controversial aspect of Lovecraft’s works which “does not endear Lovecraft to the modern reader” and comes across through many disparaging remarks against the various non-Anglo-Saxon races and cultures within his work. Lovecraft did not seem to hold all White people in high regard, but rather he held English people and people of English descent above all others.[24][25][26] While his racist perspective is undeniable, some critics argue that it does not necessarily detract from his ability to create compelling philosophical worlds which have inspired many artists and readers.[12][26] In his writings and personal life he argued for a strong color line for the purpose of preserving race and culture.[12][24][25][27] These arguments occurred either through direct statements against different races in his work and personal correspondence,[10][12][24][25][26] or allegorically in his work using non-human races.[17][24][28][29] Reading Lovecraft's work, his racial attitude was seen as more cultural than biological, showing sympathy to others who assimilated into the western culture and even marrying a Jew whom he viewed as "well assimilated".[12][24][25][29] While Lovecraft's racial attitude has been seen as directly influenced by the time, a reflection of the New England society he grew up in,[24][25][26][30][31] this racism appeared stronger than the popular viewpoints held at that time.[26][29] Some researchers note that his views failed to change in the face of increased scientific and social change of that time which invalidated many of his strongly held views.[12][24]

Enough has been written about Lovecraft's racial views and personally I think it's best dealt with by S.T. Joshii's writing in the earlier mentioned biography. Throughout his life it was always there (and it certainly was a product of it's time) though some more enlightened folk managed to avoid it altogether. If you read his writing based on when it was written he seems to cling to those ideas less and less for the most part. Basically he never let go of these ideas, but it seems he was growing away from them some, imo. I don't apologize for his ignorance, but he grew to where he clung less adamantly to these and similar ideas.

A friend bought me this for Christmas a few years ago and I put this picture on facebook with the tag "Cthulhu says your Santa Claus tasted good with ketchup.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/cthulhuxmas.jpg

One of the Toy Vault toys, right? See this? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2092804470/cthulhu-knitted-ski-mask

Have you ever seen this Brice? I own it, but have only ever played it once. It has a bit of a learning curve and takes forever to set up, but it is fun. There are expansions and such for it now as well.
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=6&enmi=Arkham%20Horror

I've seen and heard of it, but never played.

There are also some amazingly good comics that are based on Lovecraft's mythos that I LOVE called Fall of Cthulhu:
http://comics.wikia.com/wiki/The_Fall_of_Cthulhu

I am not a huge fan of comics (though I love some) I would definitely be interested in these. I may have to check them out.

Jean
05-18-2012, 11:04 AM
You can really start almost anywhere.this is true.

Dan
05-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks for info! This forum has really opened me up to authors/books I don't think I would have ever even removed from the shelf before. I think I will look around for a Lovecraft book or short story collection so I can join in on the conversation.

Brice
05-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Get the Barnes & Nobles (fake) leatherbound collection with all his fiction. It's only 20-25 dollars. :)

mystima
05-18-2012, 11:32 AM
this was in another thread but thought it would be fitting here.

http://youtu.be/Xc90UhV6hJA

Dan
07-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I listened to The Colour Out Of Space. Very good story! Super creepy! This is my first Lovecraft story. I have a short collections book and will be delving into it soon.

Jean
07-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Anyhow I purposely didn't put this in the book or movie forums any as my hope is that it be for ALL things Lovecraftian.
this is actually what Mansion forum is for; do you mind if I move this thread there?

Dan
07-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Sounds like a good idea. It took me a while to find this thread in the current location.

Brice
07-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Go ahead Jean...although I thought the mansion was strictly horror books. which this is not. Just don't complain that something is off topic if it's even remotely related to cthulhu...cause it's not. :emot-cthulhu:

Dan, enjoy! :D

Jean
07-05-2012, 03:22 AM
No, no, nothing will be off-topic. We meant Mansion for all things horror - I remember there was a big battle (which I won) over where it should be.

Moving!!!

Brice
07-05-2012, 05:47 AM
I know. I was the main one you battled over it as I recall. :lol:

Jean
07-05-2012, 06:00 AM
yes, epic. Chtulhus vs. bears.

mystima
07-05-2012, 06:49 AM
hmmm sounds like a plot for the ages.....lol.

Brice
07-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Indeed! LOL

sgc1999
07-05-2012, 08:35 AM

It was a fun read focusing on his family life and times. And a lot on his early writing.
A must for fans to read.

Brice
07-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Absolutely the best damn Lovecraft Bio there is.

mae
07-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Okay, it occurs to me that there isn't really a Lovecraft thread. Am I wrong? I can't find one.

You're wrong :tongue:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?5324

Jean
07-05-2012, 11:23 PM
oh good Lord, stupid bears totally forgot!!

Merlin1958
07-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Bump :emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu:

mystima
07-12-2012, 05:55 PM
oh good Lord, stupid bears totally forgot!!

bears not stupid just getting older. and have more things on their minds.

Jean
07-13-2012, 02:22 AM
bears are not getting older!!!! they are just plain stupid

I'm thinking of the merge

Merlin1958
07-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Go ahead Jean...although I thought the mansion was strictly horror books. which this is not. Just don't complain that something is off topic if it's even remotely related to cthulhu...cause it's not. :emot-cthulhu:

No, no, nothing will be off-topic. We meant Mansion for all things horror - I remember there was a big battle (which I won) over where it should be.

Moving!!!

The Moderator "Chats" must be "EPIC"!!!! :tongue1:

:emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu:

Brice
07-13-2012, 12:16 PM

Moving!!!

Oh, we're all pretty laidback for the most part. Of course all of us have our moments, but there's very little drama between staff. Remember, we're the ones charged with killing the drama elsewhere. It does get to be entertaining discussion sometimes though. :)

Merlin1958
07-13-2012, 12:19 PM

Moving!!!

Oh, we're all pretty laidback for the most part. Of course all of us have our moments, but there's very little drama between staff. Remember, we're the ones charged with killing the drama elsewhere. It does get to be entertaining discussion sometimes though. :)

OK, well way to steal my thunder, Mr. Mod!!!! LOL LOL LOL

I envisioned "knife-fights"!! LOL LOL

Brice
07-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Moving!!!

OK, well way to steal my thunder, Mr. Mod!!!! LOL LOL LOL

I envisioned "knife-fights"!! LOL LOL

Very well...it's really all tentacles and bear claws. ;)

Dan
07-14-2012, 11:37 AM
$17 at by local used book store. 1st edition from Barnes & Noble.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q542/DanielLRoth/1af0c570.jpg

Brice
07-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Nice! I have one too.

mae
07-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Too bad it's riddled with typos and errors. Get the newer leatherbound edition.

Dan
07-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Too bad it's riddled with typos and errors. Get the newer leatherbound edition.

Crap! I had read about that one. I didn't even think of it when buying this. Oh well, it still looks pretty and is in near mint condition.

Brice
07-14-2012, 05:37 PM
It still looks nice....get the corrected leatherbound too. :)

I have a pic to post tomorrow that a friend sent.

Brice
07-15-2012, 01:59 PM
I posted this in my book collection thread, but it belongs here too. Thank you again Krystle! :D

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/101_0129.jpg

Dan
07-15-2012, 02:10 PM
I posted this in my book collection thread, but it belongs here too. Thank you again Krystle! :D

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/101_0129.jpg

I complemented this in your book collection thread, but I complement it here too. Very nice!

Brice
07-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I know! I keep looking at it. Eventually it must be framed.

becca69
07-16-2012, 07:13 AM
Available today at Teefury (it glows in the dark):

http://www.teefury.com/

Brice
07-16-2012, 11:03 AM
:excited:

beam*seeker
07-19-2012, 03:59 PM
What did we think of the King nod to Lovecraft with the shoggoth in the tunnel bit in the DT epic???

Brice
07-19-2012, 05:28 PM
In my case...do you even have to ask? :D

beam*seeker
07-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Just wondering if we thought it was cheezey or homage. Of course, I would have preferred some extraterrestrial fungus, but what cha gonna do?

Brice
07-20-2012, 02:51 PM
I think it was both ...a homage and delightfully intentionally cheesy. :D

ur2ndbiggestfan
08-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Has anybody bought this?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-hp-lovecraft-h-p-lovecraft/1106658815?ean=9781435122963

Dan
08-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Seeing this post reminded me to add this link http://shirt.woot.com/ Of course, if you don't look today, the shirt is different. So for future sake, the shirt is a Call of Cthulhu shirt.

Brice
08-09-2012, 06:48 PM
:thumbsup:

Has anybody bought this?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-hp-lovecraft-h-p-lovecraft/1106658815?ean=9781435122963

I didn't get that one yet, but I have the one they did before it (with errors).

becca69
09-14-2012, 05:24 AM
This is cute - today only:

http://www.teefury.com/

beam*seeker
09-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Missed t-shirt but I can tell you a search of Cthulu on etsy will bring up the coolest stuff like jewelry, t-shirts, you name it.

WeDealInLead
10-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Ever wanted a genuine Lovecraft signature? This is super cool. Super expensive too:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=6489923084&searchurl=bsi%3D30%26sortby%3D0%26vci%3D1347219

mae
03-03-2013, 03:34 AM
Just discovered this great podcast: http://hppodcraft.com

needfulthings
03-03-2013, 11:16 AM
H.P. LOVECRAFT THE OUTSIDER 1/100 #72
http://imageshack.us/a/img705/2553/dscn7126c.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/760/img996m.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/2667/img997w.jpg

Bryant Burnette
03-03-2013, 12:50 PM
The new Alan Moore graphic novel, Nemo: Heart of Ice has a major Lovecraftian subplot. Well worth checking out!

fearless-freak
04-14-2013, 08:06 AM
this is a good site to look at for mythos stuff http://propnomicon.blogspot.co.uk/

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Ben Staad
04-15-2013, 10:20 AM
this is a good site to look at for mythos stuff http://propnomicon.blogspot.co.uk/

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Cool link. I clicked around and saw some interesting items for sale.

fernandito
04-15-2013, 10:40 AM
The new Alan Moore graphic novel, Nemo: Heart of Ice has a major Lovecraftian subplot. Well worth checking out!

Ooooh, nice. Thanks for the heads up. Just looked it up and it sounds awesome.

fearless-freak
04-15-2013, 10:45 AM
i've got two Lovecraft anthologies Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of Lovecraft and Eldritch Tales: A Miscellany of Macarbe Talesand has anyone else seen the documentry on Lovecraft Fear of The Unknown?

mystima
05-18-2013, 05:24 PM
been playing a new MMO called The Secret World. The very first island you get to has nothing but Cthulhu mythos all over the place and one of the giant monsters is like the "son" of Cthulhu.

harrison ryan
05-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Has anyone else seen the documentry on Lovecraft Fear of The Unknown?

I have! I watched it just last week.

fearless-freak
05-26-2013, 12:28 PM
anyone else here seen the Calls for Cthulhu videos on youtube?

fearless-freak
08-01-2013, 05:17 AM
good news for those that backed The Doom That Came To Atlantic City kickstarter campaign after this (http://propnomicon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/the-doom-that-came-to-kickstarter.html) happened

http://propnomicon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/risen-from-dead.html

Merlin1958
08-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Where the F*ck is, Brice when you need him? LOL

:emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu::emot-cthulhu:

Jean
08-01-2013, 09:28 PM
I often ask myself the same question

fearless-freak
10-11-2013, 07:45 AM
well, this is interesting

Amok Time Announces 'Re-Animator' and 'Bride of Re-Animator' Action Figures!!
Retailer and toy developer Amok Time surprised New York Comic-Con attendees with the announcement that they have acquired the license for Stuart Gordon’s classic Re-Animator, reports Figures.

The license includes both the original 1985 film, as well as the 1990 sequel, Bride of Re-Animator!

Amok Time will be producing three (3) action figures of “Herbert West” as part of their Monstarz collection. These are being sculpted by talented artist Jean St. Jean and are all scheduled for release in the Fall of 2014.

Amok Time wouldn’t give specifics on each figure aside that Herbert in the poster above is an obvious choice as one figure. Each figure will include accessories and other cool pack-ins (such as the wild flying bat head from Bride).

Amok Time will be showing at next year’s Toy Fair in February and should have some prototypes to show by then.

Merlin1958
10-12-2013, 05:10 PM
I heard a rumor that "Pacific Rim" was originally a "Lovecraft Cthulu" film but was slanted to the "Japan" angle for marketing purposes. After seeing the film, I could definitely see that.

fearless-freak
10-13-2013, 01:16 AM
i think Pacific Rim was sort of born out of the frustration of not being able to do At The Mountains of Madness before Ridley Scott released Prometheus

Merlin1958
10-13-2013, 01:48 PM
i think Pacific Rim was sort of born out of the frustration of not being able to do At The Mountains of Madness before Ridley Scott released Prometheus

LOL You may have a point, but this was an "official" internet rumor. Anyone else heard likewise?

fearless-freak
10-13-2013, 09:56 PM
try his website

mae
05-03-2014, 06:39 AM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0871404532/

From across strange aeons comes the long-awaited annotated edition of “the twentieth century’s greatest practitioner of the classic horror tale” (Stephen King).

“With an increasing distance from the twentieth century . . . the New England poet, author, essayist, and stunningly profuse epistolary Howard Phillips Lovecraft is beginning to emerge as one of that tumultuous period’s most critically fascinating and yet enigmatic figures,” writes Alan Moore. But at the time of his death, Lovecraft was maligned by critics and ignored by the public. Now, Leslie S. Klinger reanimates Lovecraft as never before, charting the rise of the pulp writer, whose rediscovery is almost unprecedented in American literary history. Following a trajectory not unlike Melville or Poe, Lovecraft’s vast body of work—a mythos in which humanity is a blissfully unaware speck in a cosmos shared by ancient alien beings—is increasingly being recognized as the foundation for American horror and science fiction.

With nearly 300 illustrations and more than 1,000 annotations, Klinger illuminates every hidden dimension of 22 of Lovecraft’s most canonical works.

280 color illustrations
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6186DLrk9DL.jpg

fearless-freak
05-03-2014, 01:31 PM
someone's doing a Dreamlands movie

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-dreamlands#home

fearless-freak
06-23-2014, 08:13 AM
they're made a replica of the finger creature from Bride Of Re-Animator

http://horrornewsnetwork.net/articles/9868-re-animator-finger-creature-prop-replica-coming-in-november?Itemid=101

mae
09-19-2014, 11:49 AM
http://www.hippocampuspress.com/h.p-lovecraft/fiction/variorum-lovecraft

Edited by S. T. Joshi
Draft cover artwork shown for illustration only
Final cover artwork forthcoming
ISBN 978-1-61498-108-4
1600 pages (three volumes)
Individual volumes not sold separately
Limited edition: 500 sets only
November 2014

In the 1980s, S. T. Joshi prepared revised editions of H. P. Lovecraft’s stories for Arkham House. Basing his work on consultation of manuscripts, early publications, and other sources, Joshi corrected thousands of errors in the existing texts of Lovecraft’s fiction, allowing readers to appreciate the stories as Lovecraft originally wrote them.

In the thirty years that have followed, Joshi has continued to do research on the textual accuracy of Lovecraft’s stories, and this comprehensive new edition is the result. For the first time, students and scholars of Lovecraft can see at a glance all the textual variants in all relevant appearances of a story—manuscript, first publication in magazines, and first book publications. The result is an illuminating record of the textual history of the tales, along with how Lovecraft significantly revised his stories after initial publication.

Along the way, Joshi has made small but significant revisions to his earlier corrected texts. He has determined, for example, that Lovecraft slightly revised some stories when a reprint of them was scheduled in Weird Tales, and he has altered some readings in light of a better understanding of Lovecraft’s customary linguistic usages.

The result is the definitive text of Lovecraft’s fiction—an edition that supersedes all those that preceded it and should endure as the standard text of Lovecraft’s stories for many years.

[Volume 1:]

In this first volume, Lovecraft’s earliest stories are printed in chronological order by date of writing. Included are such early triumphs as “Dagon” and “The Outsider,” along with the many tales Lovecraft wrote under the inspiration of Lord Dunsany. The celebrated “Herbert West—Reanimator” and “The Rats in the Walls” show Lovecraft experimenting with longer narratives—a tendency that will culminate in the novelettes and novellas of his final decade of writing.

[Volume 2:]

In this second volume, the tales that Lovecraft wrote immediately after returning to his native Providence, R.I., from two years of “exile” in New York are presented. The landmark tale “The Call of Cthulhu” was only the tip of the iceberg of a flood of stories he wrote in 1926–27, which include the two short novels The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath and The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. “The Colour out of Space” is a pioneering tale that initiates Lovecraft’s distinctive melding of horror and science fiction, while “The Dunwich Horror” and “The Whisperer in Darkness” are rich novellas simultaneously evoking terrors from outer space and the brooding darkness of the New England backwoods.

[Volume 3:]

In this final volume, the tales of Lovecraft’s final years are presented. The Antarctic novella At the Mountains of Madness is perhaps Lovecraft’s most finished work, a superb fusion of weirdness and science fiction that he referred to as “cosmicism.” “The Shadow over Innsmouth” is a chilling evocation of the terrors inherent in a lonely New England backwater, while “The Thing on the Doorstep” and “The Haunter of the Dark” feature physical horrors with cosmic implications. “The Shadow out of Time” is the culmination of Lovecraft’s portrayal of the vast vistas of space and time—his signature contribution to literature.

S. T. Joshi is a leading Lovecraft scholar and author of H. P. Lovecraft: The Decline of the West (1990), I Am Providence: The Life and Times of H. P. Lovecraft (2010), Lovecraft and an Age in Transition (2014), and other critical and biographical works. He has also done significant research on such writers as Lord Dunsany, Ambrose Bierce, Arthur Machen, and Ramsey Campbell.

H. P. LOVECRAFT'S COLLECTED FICTION: A VARIORUM EDITION will be published in celebration of the 125th anniversary of H. P. Lovecraft's birth.

Editor S. T. Joshi presents all the relevant textual variants from all the stories that Lovecraft wrote over his short literary career.

The first three volumes, available in November 2014 exclusively as a set, collect all of Lovecraft's canonical tales. A fourth volume, H. P. Lovecraft's Revisions and Collaborations: A Variorum Edition, is scheduled to appear in 2015 and will be offered for sale individually.

H. P. LOVECRAFT'S COLLECTED FICTION: A VARIORUM EDITION features Smythe-sewn signatures and illustrated dust wrappers, with each copy individually shrink-wrapped. All Hippocampus Press limited editions are printed on 60# white offset paper, acid free and elemental chlorine free.

fearless-freak
09-19-2014, 12:10 PM
there is already a complete work of Lovecraft

http://gamepodunk.com/uploads//gallery/album_6/gallery_5_6_6405.jpg

mae
09-19-2014, 01:32 PM
This is going to be quite different.

Shannon
10-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Whaaaaaaaat?

"On the Creation of Niggers" by H. P. Lovecraft (http://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/On_the_Creation_of_Niggers)

fearless-freak
10-06-2014, 06:08 AM
thought you knew Lovecraft was racist and on a different note Re-Animator the musical is back

WeDealInLead
10-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Yep. A lot of people turn a blind eye to that shit and call him "a product of the times" or whatnot. He seemed like an intriguing character but after reading some excerpts from The Conservative (his newsletter/zine), that man was FUCKED. His thoughts were eloquent and well thought out; no way were these just random ramblings.

WeDealInLead
10-07-2014, 04:39 AM
To the anonymous shit-talker who left a condescending "reputation" comment: you will never convince me racism of the HPL variety was the norm. Never ever ever. Unless you're suggesting that every person in the USA in the '30s was racist. Because that is what your comment means.

Here it is:

Thread: Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn!...

100 years ago it "was the norm" and a "product of the times". Segregation did not repeal until the '60's. Think before you post.

mae
10-16-2014, 09:25 AM
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/10623593_699104293499400_9065347094989744174_o.jpg

mae
03-20-2015, 08:14 AM
http://publishersweekly.com/978-1-61498-108-4

This definitive three-volume compilation of Lovecraft's complete fiction—a fourth volume featuring his collaborations and stories that he ghost wrote for other writers is due out later in 2015—is an HPL enthusiast's dream: a record of all textual variants in important publications for each of the horror titan's tales. The culmination of the 20 years of research that Lovecraft scholar Joshi put into correcting thousands of errors and editorial alterations to the stories in the standard editions of Lovecraft's works, the texts in this edition differ slightly from the corrected texts published by Arkham House between 1984 and 1986 owing to Joshi's reconsideration of some of Lovecraft's stylistic tics—among them Lovecraft's preferred, though inconsistent, use of British spellings, and his presumed acceptance in his later works of style changes imposed by the magazines in which they originally appeared. Where possible, Joshi consulted autograph manuscripts, typescripts, and even personally annotated copies of magazines in which Lovecraft restored phrasing changed by the editors. The stories are organized chronologically in order of their composition, and each features an editor's note detailing its publishing history and the copy text used to compare against other editions of the work. The contents of Volume I span the years 1905 to 1925 and feature 45 tales. The vast majority of corrections are virtually subclinical, at the level of punctuation and word choices, although Joshi identifies revisions to a handful of works that first appeared in the amateur press before Lovecraft submitted them for professional publication, as well as changes that he made to two of his better-known early tales—"Dagon" and "The Rats in the Walls"—between their first publication in Weird Tales (the pulp magazine that was the biggest market for his fiction) and their reprints in later issues of the magazine. The 13 stories in Volume II, published between 1926 and 1930, include several major works, among them "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" and "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath," neither of which was published in Lovecraft's lifetime and whose hundreds of corrections show the difficulties Lovecraft's publishers faced transcribing the crabbed handwriting of his original manuscripts. One of the volume's highlights is the reprinting of an entire paragraph that Lovecraft excised from the climactic finale of his monster masterpiece, "Pickman's Model." Volume III, which covers the years 1931 through 1937, features nine of Lovecraft's greatest stories, as well as several incidental pieces and juvenile works. Its centerpieces are the cosmic horror classic "The Shadow out of Time," whose autograph manuscript surfaced after Joshi's speculative correction of its heavily edited text in 1986, and "At the Mountains of Madness," the most problematic work in the Lovecraft canon since it is not clear which deviations from Lovecraft's autograph manuscript are attributable to him or to his editors. Although the overwhelming majority of textual variants that Joshi identifies will be of interest primarily to Lovecraft scholars rather than to casual readers, anyone who appreciates the care with which Lovecraft chose words and applied his unique style to create his unique works of modern horror will find this excursion into the minutiae of his craft both fascinating and rewarding.

mae
07-01-2016, 06:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHbuE7rbDzs

Cwalker
07-06-2016, 01:29 PM
If there are any hardcore Lovecraft completist here, I was recently in a bookshop in Bath, ME where the owner showed me a copy of a book called Turners Chemistry. It was a scholarly text from about 1840, but what made it interesting was the "ownership" hand written in the front was for H. P. himself, complete with his address in Baltimore. You could also see where he had written his initials in pencil.

The owner states that it has been verified by Brown University, who would not pay the asking price but asked for it to be donated. He is asking $1500.

I have no interest at all, but if anyone does, let me know and I can get the store info to you.

BountyHunter
11-28-2017, 02:51 AM
I really really wish they'd hurry up and put that game out. :pullhair:

craigobau
11-28-2017, 04:24 AM
I am currently reading HPL's entire fiction output from first to last, including collaborations.

Next up is The Colour Out of Space.

Whilst there have been a few average stories on the journey so far, I've really enjoyed nearly everything I've read and you can definitely see a change in his story-telling following his years in New York.

WeDealInLead
07-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Another complete works edition but this one is grouped by theme and isn't necessarily chronological.

https://www.amazon.com/H-P-Lovecraft-Collection-Slip-cased/dp/1784288608

mae
07-03-2019, 08:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pir0WTSDOU

mae
09-27-2019, 03:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdylC8rUE1Y

fernandito
09-27-2019, 04:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pir0WTSDOU

did you play this? it was on sale at the PSN but I didn't get it cause Borderlands 3 will take up the next 2 months of my time.

mae
09-27-2019, 04:07 PM
No but I might. It looked a little iffy. This new one though (Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones) looks amazing.